PDA

View Full Version : IL IL - Rachel Mellon Skemp, 13, Bolingbrook, 31 Jan 1996

Juliana
07-18-2004, 10:24 AM
I ran across a reference to this missing child and it is really pulling at my heartstrings. What happened to this beautiful 13 year old girl who was obviously loved by so many people, and vanished into thin area (if her stepfather's story is to be believed).

Rachel Mellon Skemp

http://www.angelfire.com/mi3/mpccn/mellon.html

imo

emma l
10-14-2004, 11:35 AM
Rachel mellon who has been missing almost 9 years had a birthday October 13th- but I was ill and forgot to bump her.

Please go to Rachels website and think about this child for a moment. She is loved and missed.

www.rachelfind.com

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RACHEL :HappyBday :HappyBday :HappyBday :HappyBday

emma l
02-09-2005, 07:00 AM
Bumping for Rachel....................... :)

mysteriew
11-28-2005, 12:03 AM
Investigators may have ruled out a link between human bones found on Chicago's South Side and two high-profile missing children cases.

Also, teeth recovered with the remains do not match the dental records of Rachel Mellon, another victim of an unsolved investigation.

DNA tests still need to be completed for further information.
http://www.nbc5.com/news/4455548/detail.html

Mr. E
11-30-2005, 07:39 PM
I don't understand the following:

Rachel ran away and stayed at a friend's home over a year before her 1996 disappearance. She voluntarily returned home shortly after her departure.
Does that mean she ran away, returned home, but lived with friends for a year? Why? Did it have anything to do with this:

Vince has been considered a possible suspect in her case for several years. He has a long record for domestic violence
Stepdad sounds suspicious to me.

Bobbisangel
12-01-2005, 06:26 AM
I don't understand the following:

Does that mean she ran away, returned home, but lived with friends for a year? Why? Did it have anything to do with this:

Stepdad sounds suspicious to me.

The wording of that article is confusing but I think that they mean that a year before she disappeared in 1996 she ran away and stayed with a friend but came back home shortly after she ran away. That is what I got after reading it several times.

I notice that the police don't think that the stepdad checked on Rachel after he came back from walking the dog. He says he DID check on her though BUT her disappearance wasn't phoned in until 5:00 and he walked the dog in the afternoon???? If he checked on Rachel and noticed that she wasn't in her bed or in the house...that she was missing why didn't he call LE then? Why wait until the mom and other family members arrived home at 5:00 and they noticed that she was gone...then make the call???

The stepdad said that Rachel had on sweatpants...shirt...slippers when she took a nap in the afternoon and that she was home sick from school. He also says that she didn't take a coat, shoes, socks when/if she left and it was
freezing outside. I can't imagine anyone leaving home without taking a coat and shoes/socks when it is freezing outside. If Rachel decided to split when the stepdad took the dog for a walk you would think she would have grabbed her heavy coat and warm shoes/socks. If she had just been waiting for him to leave she would have been up the second he got down the street and probably would have had her stuff ready to go before hand. Someone must have taken Rachel from the house without her permission. She's been gone way to long to have left on her own and never look back...I would think anyway unless she would have been running from someone that might have been abusing her and she felt that she could never go back. Probably not though....where would she go? I hope this case gets solved someday. Rachel deserves justice and her probable killer deserves to be in prison no matter who he is.

PonderingThings
01-29-2006, 10:16 AM
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/1592dfil.html (http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/1592dfil.html)
The Doe Network page (above link) has photos of Rachel

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/city/4_1_1_JO29_MELLON_S3.htm

Timeline of the disappearance of Rachel Mellon.

PonderingThings
02-12-2006, 09:18 AM
http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/local_story_028215808.html

10 years later family has a memorial service for Rachel Mellon to say goodbye.

Great photos (and a video) of Rachel at link.

mjak
02-12-2006, 12:35 PM
http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/local_story_028215808.html

10 years later family has a memorial service for Rachel Mellon to say goodbye.

Great photos (and a video) of Rachel at link.

This memorial service leaves me with a very bad feeling. I am not a parent but I can not imagine I would ever have a memorial service for a child of mine if there was any chance this child was alive. I would have vigils, fundraisers and numerous other gatherings but not "a memorial to say goodbye". I could never ever say goodbye without a body or difinitive dna evidence. I understand the need for a family to go on and desire an ending to this nightmare . I just don't see how a parent can say goodbye under these cirucmstances. I should not pass judgment on these parents. However, with the suspicion sourrounding the father I feel my feelings about this memorial have merit.

mjak

PonderingThings
02-12-2006, 12:45 PM
mjak I had the same "impression" as you.... perhaps its not really a "goodbye" even though that's how the article was worded, as much as it is a "till we find you"?

mjak
02-12-2006, 12:51 PM
mjak I had the same "impression" as you.... perhaps its not really a "goodbye" even though that's how the article was worded, as much as it is a "till we find you"?
The titel of the article is "Family Says Goodbye To Girl Who Disappeared".
The photos look like the set up for a memorial service for someone who has died.
It would appear the parents intentions were to say good bye.

mjak

mistagee
02-12-2006, 05:22 PM
Its so obvious that the stepfather killed her, I cant believe this case hasnt been solved!!!!

meggilyweggily
02-13-2006, 12:15 AM
I should not pass judgment on these parents. However, with the suspicion sourrounding the father I feel my feelings about this memorial have merit. There's no suspicion of Rachel's father -- he was in Texas when Rachel disappeared. It's her STEPfather who's considered a possible suspect.

mjak
02-13-2006, 02:42 PM
There's no suspicion of Rachel's father -- he was in Texas when Rachel disappeared. It's her STEPfather who's considered a possible suspect.

Thank you for pointing this out to me. Someone else also pointed it
out to me also. I did have it confused in my head. That does make it less
uncomfortable for me.

mjak

gidget641
08-23-2006, 09:02 AM
Hoping to bring Rachel home
Investigator offers reward in missing teen case
By Christy Gutowski
Daily Herald Legal Affairs Writer

Posted Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Rachel Marie Mellon vanished more than 10 years ago.
Although the 13-year-old Bolingbrook girl’s body was never found, police are all but certain the seventh-grader was murdered Jan. 31, 1996, after she stayed home from school with a sore throat.
A private detective with an interest in the case is hoping a $30,000 reward will generate new leads to finally bring Rachel home and nab her killer.
James J. Miller, who owns a Chicago-based agency, said he’s long followed Rachel’s disappearance and wanted to help. He lives in Woodridge.
“We have an indication that now is the perfect time to see if someone will come forward with information,” he said.

Police still cling to their long-held theory that Rachel’s stepfather knows something, but despite numerous interviews, lie detector tests, saliva and DNA samples, phone taps and the convening of a Will County grand jury, he has never been charged with any wrongdoing.

The stepfather, Vincent Mellon, now 39, maintains his innocence. In unrelated cases, though, Mellon faces jail time when he’s re-sentenced Aug. 28 for two misdemeanor domestic battery charges in Will County. He also faces a Sept. 12 trial for a DUI.

Mellon was the last person to see Rachel alive. He told police the two spent the morning playing video games. As Rachel napped, Mellon said, he ventured into near-20-below zero temperatures to walk their dog, Duke. The stepfather said he returned 30 minutes later.

The family didn’t notice that Rachel was missing until that evening. Police found no signs of forced entry. Only a blue blanket and two pillows were missing. Rachel’s coat, shoes and her purse weren’t taken

more at link Daily herald (http://www.dailyherald.com/news/dupagestory.asp?id=219700&cc=d&tc=&t=)

bykerladi
08-23-2006, 07:51 PM
Is her mother still married to the stepfather?

gidget641
08-23-2006, 09:16 PM
I am not sure if they are still married or not. I was able to find that in 2003 they were still together. But nothing after that. I will keep looking.

Bobbisangel
09-06-2006, 07:34 AM
I am not sure if they are still married or not. I was able to find that in 2003 they were still together. But nothing after that. I will keep looking.

In the article I just read it doesn't sound like they are together. I don't have a doubt in my mind that he murdered that little girl. The domestic abuse was him hitting or abusing one of the children in the family and then he was jailed again later on for doing it again. That shows me that he was abusive to the children in the family. He is now serving 200 days in jail for violating his probation. He was not supposed to be around one of the children and it sounds like he went around the child anyway. He was also supposed to complete alcohol treatment and he didn't and he was supposed to complete some classes for domestic abuse and he didn't. His attorney tried to get the judge to give him more time to get his treatment and classes done but the judge said he had had plenty of time to complete his court ordered treatment and classes and he didn't so off to jail he goes.

This guy sounds like a real loser. The police believe he murdered Rachel but they just can't get the evidence to prove it. When Rachel disappeared there was only a blanket and pillow that were missing. He shoes, socks, coat and purse were left behind. I can understand why a blanket would be missing but why a pillow? He did it and I hope and pray that LE can in some way prove it. They have even had a grand jury but the guy wasn't endited.

Just a thought...if he beat Rachel to death on the davenport or her bed and she was laying on the blanket and pillow maybe that is why they are missing. She might have bled on the blanket and pillow.

OceanEyes
10-14-2007, 10:51 PM
bump...

emma l
11-08-2007, 08:33 AM
I think about Rachel all the time..

meggilyweggily
11-08-2007, 09:53 PM
When Rachel disappeared there was only a blanket and pillow that were missing. He shoes, socks, coat and purse were left behind. I can understand why a blanket would be missing but why a pillow?

Perhaps she was suffocated with the pillow? If so she might have spat on it or something.

emma l
11-09-2007, 09:17 AM
Perhaps she was suffocated with the pillow? If so she might have spat on it or something.

I agree. I suspect the pillow was got rid of to hide any kind of DNA evidence. Spit, even blood.

ohwell1971
05-14-2008, 08:09 AM
http://www.rachelfind.com/Rachel1.htm

mysteriew
08-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Her name may not be as well known as Lisa Stebic or Stacy Peterson, but the similarly unexplained disappearance of a young Bolingbrook girl more than 12 years ago remains a haunting mystery.

Rachel Marie Mellon was 13 when she vanished Jan. 31, 1996. That bitter-cold morning, the bubbly seventh-grader stayed home from school sick with a flu bug, resting in a pink sweat shirt, yellow sweat pants and slippers

snip...State lawmakers sent to the governor's desk Friday legislation that may affect the possible prosecution of murder suspects in cases such as that of Rachel, Stebic and Peterson in which authorities say they strongly suspect foul play but are limited by a lack of physical evidence without a body.
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=226896

emma l
08-13-2008, 07:40 AM
Her name may not be as well known as Lisa Stebic or Stacy Peterson, but the similarly unexplained disappearance of a young Bolingbrook girl more than 12 years ago remains a haunting mystery.

Rachel Marie Mellon was 13 when she vanished Jan. 31, 1996. That bitter-cold morning, the bubbly seventh-grader stayed home from school sick with a flu bug, resting in a pink sweat shirt, yellow sweat pants and slippers

snip...State lawmakers sent to the governor's desk Friday legislation that may affect the possible prosecution of murder suspects in cases such as that of Rachel, Stebic and Peterson in which authorities say they strongly suspect foul play but are limited by a lack of physical evidence without a body.
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=226896

The diary entry where Rachel desribes how her step father molested her is something I've never read before.

Plus it would seem her mother is still with the stepfather. They are still married and in the quote he refers to "us". Very surprising that the mother would stay with him. Shocking considering the diary entry alone.
Poor Rachel.

meggilyweggily
08-14-2008, 07:02 PM
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mellon_rachel.html

Peki51
08-25-2008, 06:24 PM
In Honor of Rachel Mellon

Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Wipfler Park
600 Block of Melissa
Bolingbrook, IL
5:30PM

Advocates Are Traveling Cross-Country in the 5th Annual “On the Road to Remember” Tour

Wilmington, NC – For the fifth year, volunteers from the North Carolina-based CUE Center for Missing Persons will set out on another cross country tour to raise awareness of missing children and adults. The team is scheduled to make numerous appearances throughout Illinois in August; distributing a trail of DVD’s, press kits and valuable information concerning 110 missing persons and 6 unsolved homicide cases. Many Illinois cases are included in this year’s tour and will be highlighted at the groups preplanned rally stops that will include participation from law enforcement agencies, advocates - organizations, families of the missing and local and state officials.

“After so many years, missing persons and homicide cases fade from the public’s radar, but for the families and friends left behind, the nightmare continues — every minute of every day,” said CUE Founder, Monica Caison, who is leading the caravan of volunteers”. “We make this trip each year to assure no case fades from memory and to support the families who remain searching for a resolution. They need our help and the community’s help to bring forth information.”

The 2008 tour, On the Road to Remember will depart from Wilmington, NC on August 21st, and will end more than 5, 299 miles later returning the volunteers to their home state North Carolina, on September 2nd. Hundreds of volunteers will take part in various legs of the tour, which will include thirty rally stops, traveling thru seventeen states in an effort to promote a public awareness.

"Every Missing Person is Somebody's Child"

gaia227
08-26-2008, 04:38 PM
It seems pretty obvious, evidence or not, that the stepfather had something to do with her disappearence. I am guessing he had begun molesting her and he saw a 'golden' opportunity the day she stayed home sick to take it farther since they were alone. She resisted, perhaps started screaming and he killed her, disposed of the body. I cannot believe her mother has stayed married to him especially after learning he had been molesting her.

Lucy's mom
08-26-2008, 05:05 PM
Some "mom's" are so completely under the spell of these men that harm their children that even hearing something like this and having your daughter disappear won't be enough for you to leave him. When I was 13 years old, I was home ill from school and my mom's boyfriend touched me very inappropriately. I stayed home from school the next day (knowing HE wouldn't be there) becasue I was so distraught by what happened. My mom was home from work as well and I broke down and told her what happened. She kicked him out and then let him back a week later. I moved out to my dad's house and refused to come back. I'm 37 years old now and my relationship with my mother is still not what it was prior to this incident. They ended up breaking up but not becasue of what he did to me. I honestly don't know why she did what she did but I can tell you I have a 17 year old daughter and would castrate anyone that touched my daughter inapproriately!!! Fortunately, she's never had to go through anything like that.

:+:MrTT:+:
02-01-2009, 10:21 PM
...was the day on January 31 1996......i always wonder why most dates shown never give the day........always have to look up on a calender just to find out what day the date is!?.........not much listed on this case.......................i assumed, LE check the entire house, especially for any hidden spaces, such as a crawl space etc..............Im assuming, dogs were taken inside the house, cadavor dogs i mean, to see if any hits came about..............no one around here, would take there pet for a walk outside when the temp is hovering around 20 below zero.......without seeing any pictures of the home, im not sure or aware of any attachments to the house at the time.........any remodeling, if they still live there, has been done over the past years??............is there an official LE investigation into the case one can read.......did the police check for any video tape/camcorder inside the house?......im thinking this stepdad, had a fetish for voyerisum also, ............the step father would want us to believe, while he was walking the dog, within that 30 minutes someone walked in without force, took the girl in her blanket and left with her with no one seeing a thing on that cold day........was this a two story home.............ARE THERE ANY PICTURES OF THE HOUSE!!!............

02-07-2009, 06:29 PM
...was the day on January 31 1996......i always wonder why most dates shown never give the day........always have to look up on a calender just to find out what day the date is!?.........not much listed on this case.......................i assumed, LE check the entire house, especially for any hidden spaces, such as a crawl space etc..............Im assuming, dogs were taken inside the house, cadavor dogs i mean, to see if any hits came about..............no one around here, would take there pet for a walk outside when the temp is hovering around 20 below zero.......without seeing any pictures of the home, im not sure or aware of any attachments to the house at the time.........any remodeling, if they still live there, has been done over the past years??............is there an official LE investigation into the case one can read.......did the police check for any video tape/camcorder inside the house?......im thinking this stepdad, had a fetish for voyerisum also, ............the step father would want us to believe, while he was walking the dog, within that 30 minutes someone walked in without force, took the girl in her blanket and left with her with no one seeing a thing on that cold day........was this a two story home.............ARE THERE ANY PICTURES OF THE HOUSE!!!............

the link i had posted for the update doesnot work,.....it causes firefox to shut down......so it could be fake.....sorry

02-25-2009, 10:57 AM
the link i had posted for the update doesnot work,.....it causes firefox to shut down......so it could be fake.....sorry

bump.

beckaroozie
02-25-2009, 07:42 PM
I'm sure LE has checked this one...but you never know. The body was found 4 hours south of Bolingbrook in Brooklyn, IL. What do you guys think?

http://doenetwork.org/cases/533ufil.html

monkalup
03-08-2009, 07:38 PM
more info here
http://z10.invisionfree.com/usedtobedoe/index.php?showtopic=10231&st=0&

03-09-2009, 09:31 PM
you have given me a wealth of information to look at!!...........you will never know, how much i appreciate that...........

monkalup
03-10-2009, 09:21 PM
you have given me a wealth of information to look at!!...........you will never know, how much i appreciate that...........

You are very welcome. We do not solve crimes at Porchlight but we do submit potential matches. We strive to be a depository of information, as much as we can find, on each case...since so much goes "poof" with time on the net. I am glad you found it helpful.

05-20-2009, 09:24 PM

update above.

08-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Like other cases on this thread, this case has gone very cold it seems...
Does anyone know of any reporter or detective currently working on, or continuing an interest in this case, so someone can communicate with them directly, with information and/ or questions, and receive validation through confirmation on Information supplied on Rachel's case..
thank you in advance.

amber1
11-23-2009, 02:16 AM
Is her mother still married to the stepfather?

Yes, the mother is.
her case bothers me so much just because her stepfather seems suspicious.
Rachel disppeared on a day that it was way below zero. Yet he claims he went outside for 30 minutes to walk the dog.
Then he claims he didn't call her in missing until 5 pm when he noticed her gone awhile ago.
Thirdly, there are strong suspicions that Rachel was being molested by her stepfather!!!!!!!!
This bugs me because I believe it should be solved already. They need to take a closer look at the stepfather!

kirsty
11-24-2009, 08:15 PM
. They need to take a closer look at the stepfather!

Agree! all signs point to him!

amber1
11-25-2009, 12:36 AM
Agree! all signs point to him!

Yes, it is very frustrating. Rachel is a beautiful girl, and her case should be solved. Does anyone know why they are not pursuing him?

Cubby
02-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Last month marked the 14th anniversary of Rachels disappearance. I agree the step father looks guilty as hades. Who walks their dog for 30 minutes in 20 below zero wind chill factors? What dog wants to stay outside for 30 minutes in 20 below zero wind chill factors?

Anyone know what kind of dog they had?

Lipin One
03-11-2010, 05:23 AM
Last month marked the 14th anniversary of Rachels disappearance. I agree the step father looks guilty as hades. Who walks their dog for 30 minutes in 20 below zero wind chill factors? What dog wants to stay outside for 30 minutes in 20 below zero wind chill factors?

Maybe the stepfather is related to Josh Powell, the guy who in another case(Utah) went camping with his two toddlers in subzero temps in rugged terrain in the middle of the night while his wife "disappeared."

First time I hear/read about this case. My heart goes out to the family.

I would like to know if he USUALLY walked his dog at that specific time.

Was the bed where the blanket/pillows were missing dabbed for blood/dna?

Did he have a car available to transport her body away from the home? Was it impounded and thoroughly searched?

The area in which this case happened is world-famous for women disappearing when men living in the home decide to get rid of them for inconveniencing their selfish lives.

Stebic, Petersen, come to mind.

04-15-2010, 02:58 AM
http://www.rachelfind.com/rachelinpink.jpg

Remember Rachel at Rachel's Tree, 14 Years Anniv. Sunday Jan. 31, 2010 2pm at Wipfler Park, near Melissa and Rockhurst Intersection. T
If someone lives by this area, and is able to stop by and take a picture of Rachels Tree, and post it here for us to see, that would be very much appreciated. thank you in advance.

the walking the dog story, was his attempt to create a alibi by having a neighbor or someone to see him out at that time. and to create a window of opportunity for someone to come into the house and take the girl while he was out walking the dog......i believe he did walk that dog on that cold night, but not for the reasons he gave.......he did it just to say while he was out someone came in and took her........he killed her, he raped and murdered that child......he failed a lie detector test about her disappearance, and eventually they moved away....this is one of those cases, where i would love to see ALL THE FILES, all the pictures taken at the scene etc.
But that is not to be, and perhaps one will ever be allowed to see all the information obtained in the official police reports.
And it has sadden me on this case for a long long time. i will post all moo and speculation, but let there be no doubt, he did it.

ALL MOO AND SPECULATION ON MY PART, NOTHING FACTUAL OR FOR CERTAIN UNLESS OTHERWISE KNOWN TO BE.

poetmcchick
07-30-2010, 04:49 PM
I went to the same elementary and middle school she did, just 3 years after her. I took the same classes she did because I was in honors as well and had some books that had been hers. My music teacher showed me the video of her playing guitar (which is something our teacher did at the end of every quarter, let us sing/perform something we learned in class that quarter). You probably have seen pictures from the video.
I didn't know Rachel, as she disappeared just months before I moved to Bolingbrook, but this still bothers me.

On an unrelated note, I was friends with Stacy Peterson's sister in high school and Stacy and her rode my bus for a year. Stacy's last name was Peterson then but she was nice and extremely loving towards her sister.

I hope both of these women are brought home...SOON!

poetmcchick
07-30-2010, 04:51 PM

They had a German Shepherd...

Kat
08-02-2010, 02:18 PM
I can't access most of the articles in google archives for Rachel's case because they are pay per view.

I did snatch the address of the home though. Someone had asked for it upthread.

1702 Calla Drive (this is what I believe to be the address of where she went missing)

Also many of the links have broken over the years. Here is a sister forum on crime and missing persons that has a good many articles avaliable to read.

http://www.findmissingkids.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=243

amber1
08-03-2010, 12:04 PM
I saw Rachel's flyer at our Wal-Mart here.
She is definitley still remembered.

amber1
08-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Rachel kept a diary that police read after she vanished.
Her last entry read that her stepfather Vince kissed her and touched her inappropiatley.
It was also listed that Rachel called her grandmother the day before she vanished, which was unusual.
Vince (Rachel's stepfather) and Rachel's mother moved away afrom the area after Rachel vanished in 1996. Why would you move away from an area so soon when there's a chance your missing child could return there? So many parents stay years after years at their old homes and even keep the sam numbers!
After Rachel vanished, Vincent was found to have scratches all over his body, whcih he claims were from repairing his car. He has been considered a suspect for many years.

After reading all this myslef, I think he is as guilty as sin. It's unbelievable that the mother is standing by him, as he has a history of domestic violence and failed a lie detector test about Rachel's disappearance. It's unbelievable they still haven't tried him for murder.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mellon_rachel.html

poetmcchick
08-18-2010, 05:01 PM
Trying him without evidence means he can get an acquittal and then can't be tried if evidence or remains does surface.
Thanks for the address, I knew the general area of where they lived (behind an elementrary school called Tibbot) so I will have to go check it out. I know Stacy lived back there as well before she got married. She rode my bus but Rachel disappeared before I moved to the area and I was 3 years younger and ended up with all her teachers in middle school (I was in honors as well).

08-21-2010, 10:18 PM

Rachel's Tree
http://www.rachelfind.com/Racheltree.JPG

amber1
08-23-2010, 12:26 AM
beautiful!

Cubby
01-24-2011, 02:53 AM
This month marks the 15th anniversary of Rachels disappearance.
Rachel you are not forgotten and greatly missed.

Cubby
02-01-2011, 02:34 AM
Many wonder why Stacy Peterson is on the Will County LE page but what about Rachel, a young pretty girl who went missing 15 years ago today, January 31, 1996 from Bolingbrook, IL?

Very little precious media surrounding this beautiful 15 year old who like Stacy, went missing from Bolingbrook, IL

Chicagos Chuck Goudie's investigative report, which is very similiar to what I caught on our local 6pm news.

This Intelligence Report looks at a case with one suspect and no charges.

Rachel Marie Mellon hasn't been seen since January 31, 1996. The happy, popular 13-year-old wasn't feeling well that day and stayed home from school. Her stepfather was the only other person in the house.

Jeff Skemp is Rachel's biological father.

"I still dream of Rachel coming home," said Skemp. "I'll probably never get that thought out of my mind, but realistically I don't think there is a lot of chance that Rachel is still alive but that doesn't mean we can't find her and get some justice for her."

"It's really kind of hard to understand where Vince is coming from, why he would be uncooperative, because I think he has something to hide," Skemp said. "He was the last person there and there are some other circumstances that kind of point in his direction. Unfortunately, it's all circumstantial. But I really can't understand why Amy acts the way she does. It's her daughter and she is trying to sweep it under the rug and forget about it."

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/iteam&id=7931314

Mr. Skemp, I hope we are able to assist in bringing your daughter the long overdue justice she and your family deserve. Please let us know how we can help.

So happy to finally see some MSM on Rachels case, which is so long overdue.

Cubby
02-01-2011, 03:01 AM
15 Years Since Bolingbrook 7th Grader Vanished, Family Renews Search Efforts

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news/metro/rachel-mellon-skemp-bolingbrook-7th-grader-missing-anniversary-20110131#

Her dad has started a Facebook page, called Help Find Rachel Marie Mellon Skemp (http://www.facebook.com/GoodDayChicago#!/pages/Help-Find-Rachel-Marie-Mellon-Skemp/196082360408033) to keep her name and picture in the public's eye.

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed
02-03-2011, 03:24 AM
Bolingbrook Teen Rachel Mellon Now Missing 15 Years

For a long time, Rachel Mellon was Bolingbrook’s most notable missing person.

She’s not anymore, having lost that honor to Stacy Peterson, the fourth wife of retired Bolingbrook police officer Drew Peterson, who's been missing for more than two years.

Mellon would be 28 now; Jan. 31 is the 15th anniversary of her disappearance.

More: http://plainfield.patch.com/articles/bolingbrook-teen-rachel-mellon-now-missing-15-years-3

Texas Mist
02-08-2011, 06:15 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2011-02/59216114.jpg

Bolingbrook girl's '96 disappearance still a mystery

Dad focuses on keeping her name in the public: 'Miracles do happen,' he says

Jeff Skemp still listens to the copy of Alanis Morissette's "Jagged Little Pill" that he pulled from his daughter's CD player the weekend after she disappeared 15 years ago.

"It's the only thing I have of Rachel's," he said from his Forest Park home.

Rachel Mellon was 13 on Jan. 31, 1996, the day she stayed home from school with her stepfather because of a sore throat. Her stepfather, Vince Mellon, had left the house in the 600 block of Melissa Drive to walk their dog while Rachel was napping. She was found missing from her bedroom later that day by a sibling. A blanket and pillows were also missing.

more here

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/southsouthwest/ct-met-missing-bolingbrook-girl-20110205,0,7230676.story

hollye
02-16-2011, 03:59 PM
Nancy Grace has Rachel on her FB page today.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/NancyGraceHLN

Nocgirl
02-17-2011, 02:36 PM
The diary entry is disturbing. That speaks volumes. If he had molested her then he probably killed her. Who takes a dog for a walk with a wind chill of -20 below? I am a little disgusted the dumb mom still is married to him. I would leave my SO in a heartbeat if there was any suspicion he harmed my child. My take is he raped her, then killed her.

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed
02-21-2011, 10:04 PM
Airing right now on Nancy Grace America's Missing!!!

Rachel Mellon: Nancy Grace America's Missing

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/images/02/19/mellon-new-post.gif

13-year-old Rachel Mellon spent the day home from school with her stepfather on January 31, 1996. She had a sore throat. Her stepfather, Vincent Mellon, left the house while Rachel was taking a nap. When he returned she was gone.

Also gone were pillows from Rachel’s bedroom and a blue blanket. With freezing a temperature of 20 degrees below zero police do not believe Rachel left on her own. There was no forced entry to the home and the honor roll student’s coat, shoes and purse were all left behind. What happened to Rachel Mellon?

http://nancygrace.blogs.cnn.com/

lindugh
02-21-2011, 11:52 PM
not only did vince mellon say he left to walk the dog, but that the dog slipped out of his leash trying to chase a squirrel, so vince returned home with NO dog. A real estate appraiser found the dog wandering in the neighborhood and brought him home. I hope the bio-father continues to keep Rachel's story out there until <modsnip> Vince, along with his <modsnip> wife, is arrested, convicted <modsnip>

lieber32
02-22-2011, 09:32 PM
I read the circumstances of this girls disappearance and her stepdads story and I instantly knew something was not right. I have a dog, who I could walk for hours, except when its very cold. If its below 20 she doesn't want to be outside for more then a few minutes. Also she loves chasing squirrels and if its that cold out you aren't going to see any squirells. I see them all the time at the park near me where I walk my dog and even during the winter you will see them as long as its not very cold and minus twenty degrees is very cold. Then her blanket and pillow are missing but her coat is still there and its below twenty? Then the diary entry, all this raises my hinky meteor.

amber1
12-09-2011, 01:17 AM
rachel had written in her diary that her stepfather had been molesting her. the stepfather did it....why is rachel's mther still with him and why has this case not been solved!?

amber1
12-09-2011, 01:19 AM
Airing right now on Nancy Grace America's Missing!!!

Rachel Mellon: Nancy Grace America's Missing

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/images/02/19/mellon-new-post.gif

13-year-old Rachel Mellon spent the day home from school with her stepfather on January 31, 1996. She had a sore throat. Her stepfather, Vincent Mellon, left the house while Rachel was taking a nap. When he returned she was gone.

Also gone were pillows from Rachel’s bedroom and a blue blanket. With freezing a temperature of 20 degrees below zero police do not believe Rachel left on her own. There was no forced entry to the home and the honor roll student’s coat, shoes and purse were all left behind. What happened to Rachel Mellon?

http://nancygrace.blogs.cnn.com/

What a gorgeous girl! I hope she'll be found, she can't be far from where she vanished from

02-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Just bumping for Rachel

Any one with a newer picture of her tree?

amber1
03-02-2012, 01:08 AM
any updates ? i wonder why LE isn't interviewing the step father, so obvious he did it!!!!!
why is this being swept under the rug?!

amber1
03-08-2012, 02:56 PM
http://findamybillig.webs.com/apps/links/

amber1
10-29-2012, 12:17 AM
Update as of 2012 on Rachel's disappearance. Sounds like her father and the cops are also convinced the step father, Vince, is the one responsible for her disappearance. I have always wondered what the mother thinks of this, or if she knows anything.
It says her mother and the stepfather moved to TN, and her stepfather Vince got in a car crash pulling out of a strip club. I did not find this surprising. So now that they have a good idea of who did it (they are calling it a first degree homicide instead of a disappearance now), I hope they can really put pressure on this guy to find her. Her father deserves to have his baby back.

Article:
http://romeoville.patch.com/articles/missing-teen-s-case-gone-cold

amber1
12-20-2012, 10:27 PM
Thinking of you and your dad during this holiday season. Hoping we find you and bring you home to your dad!

LarkBunting
12-21-2012, 11:28 AM
Wow, where is justice for Rachel? I was a kid when this happened, so never read up on it til now. Unbelievable. I hope justice will come to those who hurt/disappeared this poor child.

amber1
12-21-2012, 11:42 AM
It sounds like they know who did it, but can't bring him to justice until they find Rachel. I'm praying they find her and get Vince Mellon talking. I don't want this to be a Casey Anthony turn out.

Cubby
12-21-2012, 02:05 PM
It sounds like they know who did it, but can't bring him to justice until they find Rachel. I'm praying they find her and get Vince Mellon talking. I don't want this to be a Casey Anthony turn out.

BBM. I hope that is not the case. We've seen successful no body murder convictions. Most recently the Bianca Jones case.

My question is does Will County have enough to prosecute and convict without a body? If so, they should go for it. Perps shouldn't be rewarded for hiding the body well.

http://www.nobodycases.com/

amber1
12-23-2012, 11:35 PM
I also feel this, maybe that would be just the thing to get him talking!...but if it's unsuccessful, Rachel's whereabouts may be in the books forever, unless she is recovered on accident by someone someday.

amber1
02-01-2013, 01:26 AM
I wanted to take time today to pray for and remember a beautiful girl named Rachel Mellon-Skemp, who vanished 17 years ago today. Even the temp today is eerily similar to the day Rachel vanished-EXTREME cold.
Please leave the porchlight on for Rachel tonight, and pray that she will be found.

amber1
02-01-2013, 11:56 PM
2 Attempted Abductions in Boilingbrook, IL. Very scary!!!
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/suburbs/bolingbrook/chi-bolingbrook-attempted-abductions-20130201,0,568645.story

amber1
03-31-2013, 07:27 PM
There has been human skeletal remains found by 2 youths in a wooded area in Woodridge, IL, and there are my thoughts going around about it being Rachel Mellon Skemp, or any other unsolved missing person case in the area. They do not know much about the remains yet or even if it is male or female.
http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Kids-Find-Skeletal-Remains-in-Woodridge-200796241.html

summer_breeze
05-18-2013, 08:39 AM
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=9107122

Updated at 07:23 AM today

May 18, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The first Honk For the Missing takes place Saturday on Chicago's South Side.

amber1
06-12-2013, 12:04 AM
For those of you following Rachel's disappearance, I have always wondered what her stepfather looked like. They show his photo twice (both taken from a "previous" arrest) from an episode of Nancy Grace, where Rachel's disappearance was featured.
HLN: Nancy Grace: America&#39;s Missing: Rachel Mellon, 13 - YouTube

leilarose68
11-08-2013, 12:39 AM
Some "mom's" are so completely under the spell of these men that harm their children that even hearing something like this and having your daughter disappear won't be enough for you to leave him. When I was 13 years old, I was home ill from school and my mom's boyfriend touched me very inappropriately. I stayed home from school the next day (knowing HE wouldn't be there) becasue I was so distraught by what happened. My mom was home from work as well and I broke down and told her what happened. She kicked him out and then let him back a week later. I moved out to my dad's house and refused to come back. I'm 37 years old now and my relationship with my mother is still not what it was prior to this incident. They ended up breaking up but not becasue of what he did to me. I honestly don't know why she did what she did but I can tell you I have a 17 year old daughter and would castrate anyone that touched my daughter inapproriately!!! Fortunately, she's never had to go through anything like that.

the step-father probably abused the mother too; perhaps after awhile she became mentally trapped.. devoid of any self-esteem or instinct for self-preservation. or she was just in extreme and unacceptable levels of denial.
Truly truly sad.

that stepfather needs to be put in prison this very second. how incredibly, disgustingly sick he is. poor rachel.

leilarose68
11-08-2013, 01:11 AM
For those of you following Rachel's disappearance, I have always wondered what her stepfather looked like. They show his photo twice (both taken from a "previous" arrest) from an episode of Nancy Grace, where Rachel's disappearance was featured.
HLN: Nancy Grace: America's Missing: Rachel Mellon, 13 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_UaoYWkJAU)

here's another interview w the biological father, interspersed with footage of rachel and footage of her stepfather, vincent after rachel's abduction.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?id=7931314

look carefully at stepfather vincent's face. he is sweating like a pig when he is asked questions by reporters in the old footage. generally shifty and clearly with something to hide.
what's it gonna take for him to crack??

in another interview, this one with nancy grace, marc klaas gives his opinion on the case and says that the stepfather vincent is without a doubt responsible. rachel's mother admitted that vincent pushed her down the stairs at one point, and threatened Rachel. also, he refused to give DNA and it could only be secured by subpoenas
the interview with others involved in the case also speaks about rachel writing in her diary about being molested by vincent
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1102/21/ng.01.html

amber1
11-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Rachel's case frustrates me so much, because without a doubt, we know who did it and we know he knows where she is! What do we need to do to get him to crack?! I just pray he doesn't pass away before we get some answers.
I have always wondered if Rachel's mother knows where she is. I DO NOT think she is involved in anyway, but I think Vincent may have dispersed what he has done to SOMEONE, whether it be Rachel's mother, his family or friends. Perhaps he killed Rachel to silence her about what he did to her. Perhaps Rachel's mother is scared he will do the same to her.

leilarose68
11-08-2013, 04:07 PM
Rachel's case frustrates me so much, because without a doubt, we know who did it and we know he knows where she is! What do we need to do to get him to crack?! I just pray he doesn't pass away before we get some answers.
I have always wondered if Rachel's mother knows where she is. I DO NOT think she is involved in anyway, but I think Vincent may have dispersed what he has done to SOMEONE, whether it be Rachel's mother, his family or friends. Perhaps he killed Rachel to silence her about what he did to her. Perhaps Rachel's mother is scared he will do the same to her.

I think Rachel's mom is kind of in a Stockholm's syndrome-like state with Vincent Mellon. We know the mom has admitted to Vincent abusing her in the past and I really think she's mentally brainwashed or trapped in the way abused women can be by manipulative, controlling men.
She definitely has some major, MAJOR issues to keep on living with a man who ALL signs point to as her daughter's killer. and whom she had seen threaten her daughter in the past.
so BEYOND heartbreaking.

I wish there was some way LE could put the pressure on him or somehow get Rachel's mom to work as a double agent and keep a tape recorder and coax it out of him. but considering the fact she's probably mentally brainwashed by him in some way, that seems unlikely.
i wonder if his new Tennessee neighbors know about what he's done.

amber1
11-08-2013, 10:12 PM
I think Rachel's mom is kind of in a Stockholm's syndrome-like state with Vincent Mellon. We know the mom has admitted to Vincent abusing her in the past and I really think she's mentally brainwashed or trapped in the way abused women can be by manipulative, controlling men.
She definitely has some major, MAJOR issues to keep on living with a man who ALL signs point to as her daughter's killer. and whom she had seen threaten her daughter in the past.
so BEYOND heartbreaking.

I wish there was some way LE could put the pressure on him or somehow get Rachel's mom to work as a double agent and keep a tape recorder and coax it out of him. but considering the fact she's probably mentally brainwashed by him in some way, that seems unlikely.
i wonder if his new Tennessee neighbors know about what he's done.

I definitely agree about the Stockholm's Syndrome. Another thought on Rachel's mom is she may be from the Philippines, meaning she may not have any family or friends over here. The lack of support would make it easy for him to manipulate her.

scriptgirl
03-24-2014, 07:42 PM
Who is the father of Rachel's younger sister, who was 6 when Rachel was killed?

amber1
04-20-2014, 05:09 PM
Happy Easter Rachel. I'm praying that God will lead someone, anyone upon you so you can finally be brought home. I pray for your dad, Jeff, to be able to finally have closure & I pray that the b*stard who did this to you will face the worse punishment imaginable!

ChicagoCrimeSearch
10-29-2014, 03:33 AM
On previous posts here the question at hand was DNA from the stepfather which is said that he refused to give. These days detectives simply follow the suspect to grab their garbage that would carry that DNA from their home or work garbage (via a cup, cigarette, etc) -

Also on previous posts questions the mother and her knowledge of the stepfather's guilt. Has she defended him on her missing? Has she made any statements at all regarding the stepfather and their history?

Another post questions information on Rachel's sister. Anyone know about that?

They do have a FB page for Rachel, and that is consistently updated, however A. I do not know who updates it, and B., there is no history on Rachel's disappearance.

This case also tugs at me, but the initial investigation or her missing is something I am not fully aware of. However I will go back to this entire thread, and in the meantime, I hope we all go back to reviewing this case together.

ChicagoCrimeSearch
10-29-2014, 05:47 AM
In doing my research on Rachel's case, this is what I found. While there are many news reports I reviewed there are two that stand out the most with critical information that I will share. To keep a case alive you must review all of the known information - Facts... Facts without the suspects words (that always throws off a case).

The mother was married to the stepfather - not the father. They both lived on the 600 block of Melissa Drive in Bolingbrook. January 1996 was when she was last seen right out of her home. Her coat, shoes and purse were at home. Missing was her blanket and TWO pillows. The stepfather VINCE was the only one in the home during her disappearance. He has a previous violent record with the police and has previously attacked the mother and Rachel. The mother only rehearses the stories that are on police record publicly. They moved away from the home after her disappearance. They are still married. Neither one comply with police at all any longer.

There WAS DNA taken from the stepfather immediately following Rachel's disappearance. He reportedly failed the polygraph. The mother passed the polygraph.

The father lived in Texas at the time of Rachel's disappearance and moved back to Illinois approximately a week after she went missing. He still lives here in Illinois, and he runs Rachel's missing Facebook page and is very active on the page for Rachel and other missing persons.

The stepfather declares he was home with Rachel that day. He says he took the dog out under 20 degrees freezing temps for approximately 1/2 hour, loses the dog and comes home alone, never checking on Rachel or seeing her ever again.

Rachel made one last call that day to her grandmother at about 1045AM and hangs up once she confirms to the grandmother that the stepfather was there and she had to go.
The stepfather reported the call was 12pm-1230pm which was incorrect time according to the private investigator.

Rachel's sister gets home about 330pm and notices that Rachel is gone. No one reports anything at this time.
Rachel's mother gets home approximately 5pm and is told Rachel disappeared. No one reports anything at this time.

The report isn't made until 6pm.
The stepfather is alone with Rachel from 1045AM - 330PM. That is the true time gap here.
Why the family waited to report it till 6pm is beyond understanding.

Questions:
Why did the stepfather go out to walk a dog in freezing temps, nonetheless for 1/2 hour?
Why did he care so much to take the dog out yet LEAVE THE DOG OUT lost and comes back alone?
The neighbor found the dog and brought the dog home.

Were there any confirmations by neighbors of the stepfather and the dog being outside at all that day?
Did the daughter get questioned? Did she know anything?

Police did search the area on foot, by water and air. Nothing was found.
They did a door to door search. No report of anything the neighbors may have seen or heard.
Did they go back after the weather broke?
Police removed items from the house. What were they?

At first the mother assisted in the investigation but then ceased to assist permanently to date.
She still is married and lives with the stepfather.
Did she say anything about the diary that states she was being molested?
Why would she stay with this man knowing her missing daughters written claims of molestation?
She may not have known what happened then... but she has to know more now.
During the time of the grand jury in 2000 Amy the mother reportedly defended the stepfather.

Where the neighbors questioned? Did any of them appear at the grand jury? Did any of them see anything?
Why did it take 4 years for Rachel's diary to be reported?

Could the stepfather had taken the dog out earlier to avoid the dog from interfering with his plans to hurt Rachel?

If the stepfather said he hadn't seen her after they played video games why did he say to the police she was sleeping in her room?

To put it on record, there are two half siblings not one.
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1102/21/ng.01.html

http://www.findmissingkids.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=243