PDA

View Full Version : Tonya Craft teacher 22 counts child molestation

Pages : [1] 2

Linda7NJ
04-29-2010, 01:18 PM
http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/2010/04/29/today-show-looks-at-the-tonya-craft-trial/

I saw this story on the Today show. Kidergarten teacher accused of molesting 3 girls. One child the daughter of her ex-best friend. Found it interesting that she is getting so much support. Have to wonder...... if she were a man would she get the same?:waitasec:

kbl8201
04-29-2010, 01:25 PM
i heard she suspected her daughter of being abused by her ex and when she set up an exam to find out these accusations against her suddenly appeared. then she agreed to take a lie detector test and the day it was to take place they arrested her instead. and the media sold it as 'she refused to take a polygraph'

joeskidbeck
04-29-2010, 02:51 PM
i heard she suspected her daughter of being abused by her ex and when she set up an exam to find out these accusations against her suddenly appeared. then she agreed to take a lie detector test and the day it was to take place they arrested her instead. and the media sold it as 'she refused to take a polygraph'

That's a good summation, kbl. Actually this is from my "neck of the woods" and I really had been wishing this would not show up here. But, now that it has, I've got to put in my :twocents:

I really believe that this woman is the victom of some serious false charges. Before this is over, Catoosa County, Georgia will be the laughing stock of this nation. I won't go into all of the reasons that I believe she is getting a bad rap, but I will tell you why I hoped it would not be here. When it comes to child molestation, I literally get sick. To me our justice system is a long way from perfect when dealing with pedophiles and normally when I see that someone has been charged with it, I tend to just believe they are guilty and hope they get the maximum sentence. I have always frowned on the belief that "so and so" couldn't have done that, they are way too good of a person. This case has been getting so much press around here that I decided to do some research on it (both sides) and now I do not believe this woman is guilty. Here is just one of very many reasons: The judge on this case represented her husband when she divorced him a few years ago. This man should have recused himself at the very beginnig, but didn't. He put a gag order on the case and then fined one of her defense lawyers because he saw the man getting into a car that had a "Tonya Craft is Innocent" bumber sticker. Said it was a violation of the gag order! Ok, I'll get off my stump now, but if I can answer any questions, I will give it my best. Oh yes, I have emailed the Attorney General of Georgia and asked him to please look into this case.

kbl8201
04-29-2010, 03:10 PM
That's a good summation, kbl. Actually this is from my "neck of the woods" and I really had been wishing this would not show up here. But, now that it has, I've got to put in my :twocents:

I really believe that this woman is the victom of some serious false charges. Before this is over, Catoosa County, Georgia will be the laughing stock of this nation. I won't go into all of the reasons that I believe she is getting a bad rap, but I will tell you why I hoped it would not be here. When it comes to child molestation, I literally get sick. To me our justice system is a long way from perfect when dealing with pedophiles and normally when I see that someone has been charged with it, I tend to just believe they are guilty and hope they get the maximum sentence. I have always frowned on the belief that "so and so" couldn't have done that, they are way too good of a person. This case has been getting so much press around here that I decided to do some research on it (both sides) and now I do not believe this woman is guilty. Here is just one of very many reasons: The judge on this case represented her husband when she divorced him a few years ago. This man should have recused himself at the very beginnig, but didn't. He put a gag order on the case and then fined one of her defense lawyers because he saw the man getting into a car that had a "Tonya Craft is Innocent" bumber sticker. Said it was a violation of the gag order! Ok, I'll get off my stump now, but if I can answer any questions, I will give it my best. Oh yes, I have emailed the Attorney General of Georgia and asked him to please look into this case.

please keep us updated.

i normally stand up for the victims but i think this case is bs.....and i dont blame the girls. i think they are being manipulated. there's a lot of garbage going on here.

joeskidbeck
04-29-2010, 03:33 PM
please keep us updated.

i normally stand up for the victims but i think this case is bs.....and i dont blame the girls. i think they are being manipulated. there's a lot of garbage going on here.

You are quite right! Tonya's very own daughter is one of the girls who are being manipulated. Tonya has not been able to see her daughter or son since she was arrested. When her daughter was on the witness stand, she said that her mommy had done bad things to her. Said she could not remember what they were, but her daddy said that she did. It's basically the same with all three girls. The woman ( I will not give this woman a title) who questioned the girls does not even have a college degree and when asked about the research she had done on molestation, she could not give the names of one article or author that she had read. This is just too sad. I have been checking my emails all day for a reply from AG Thurbert Baker's office, but so far, no word.

Everyone, please remember this case in your prayers. I do not ask that you pray for Tonya to be found not guilty, only that the truth will come out and the jury will be able to make a sound verdict.
Thanks
Becky

kbl8201
04-29-2010, 03:39 PM
i hope they have a smart jury and not one either rigged or buit on emotion.

if that is the actual testimony i cant see how they can convict.

'daddy said she did' oh come on

Linda7NJ
04-30-2010, 12:34 PM
You are quite right! Tonya's very own daughter is one of the girls who are being manipulated. Tonya has not been able to see her daughter or son since she was arrested. When her daughter was on the witness stand, she said that her mommy had done bad things to her. Said she could not remember what they were, but her daddy said that she did. It's basically the same with all three girls. The woman ( I will not give this woman a title) who questioned the girls does not even have a college degree and when asked about the research she had done on molestation, she could not give the names of one article or author that she had read. This is just too sad. I have been checking my emails all day for a reply from AG Thurbert Baker's office, but so far, no word.

Everyone, please remember this case in your prayers. I do not ask that you pray for Tonya to be found not guilty, only that the truth will come out and the jury will be able to make a sound verdict.
Thanks
Becky

BBM
Where did this information come from? That is not what I've read thus far....

joeskidbeck
04-30-2010, 02:57 PM
BBM
Where did this information come from? That is not what I've read thus far....

I am looking for the site where I read this. Please be patient with me as I have been reading everything on this case for three weeks, so it may take a little while to find it.

Here is a link to the testimony of one of the other little girls. When she is asked how she knows something happened to her, she replies "my mommy told me".

http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12315163

I will post the link to the other information as soon as I can locate it.

thanks
Becky

joeskidbeck
04-30-2010, 04:29 PM
http://williamlanderson.blogspot.com/2010/04/mommy-did-terrible-things-to-me.html

This is where I read about her daughter's testimony. Granted, this man is a blogger who happens to be a professor in Maryland. But, judging from his posts, he knows a lot about the legal system and is so very not happy with this case. He seems to think it will have legal repercussions much the same as the NC lacrosse team being accused of rape a few years ago.

After searching for this info all day (along with everything else I've read in the last 3 weeks), I feel like I know a lot more about this case than I ever wanted to!:sick:

Tsunami
05-01-2010, 04:23 PM
I am originally from Chattanooga, and I read the local paper on a daily basis. I have been reading about this case, and am happy to see WS Community has been made aware of it.

I do not know Tonya Craft personally, but I have had a personal experience with one of the judges in this case. Don't take that wrong, my situation was my ex husband trying to get custody of my son when he was sixteen. The man never had anything to do with his kids, but when I filed for for more C/S after being divorced for over 15 years he resorted to trying to claim I was an unfit mother.

It was horrible and the injudices that took place in my situation were the same type of accusations made towards Tonya Craft, so I do have to question "Is this a witch hunt?"

Gosh, didn't mean to go into my story. I just want the WS Community to watch and investigate this case. Please keep following this case everyone because my gut feeling is this woman is not guilty.

Everthing turned out well in my case because my father was well known in the community so I came out ahead and the C/S was raised over 1K a month.

My heart breaks for this woman and I would also like for everyone to keep her in your prayers, because her life has been ruined. Please pray for the truth!

Thank you W/S readers for taking the time to read this!

joeskidbeck
05-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Tsunami, I'm glad things worked out for you and that your dad's influence was able to help. My daughter went through a situation similar to yours (in this same judicial system). Her ex decided that it would be cheaper to raise their boys than to pay child support (roflmao!) He truly believe that he could trash her reputation and prove her to be an unfit mother. Luckily, his accusations were unfounded and with the help of a very good lawyer she was able to win custody. I guess I would have to say that she got a pretty fair judge also. SO glad it was not the one in Tonya's trial. Like you, I ask for people to pray for the truth, it will set you free!

Tsunami
05-01-2010, 11:21 PM
For those of you that are not aware of where this case is taking place, and to keep up to date with the trail, here are two sites where the case information is posted on a daily basis.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/home/

http://chattanoogan.com/home.asp

Tsunami
05-04-2010, 04:28 AM
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2010/may/04/defense-challenges-interviews-of-children-in/?local

http://chattanoogan.com/articles/article_174811.asp

pinkorchid
05-04-2010, 10:25 PM
I don't believe she's guilty either. These families had some sort of vendetta against her and so did the ex. One alleged victim said Tonya Craft put her 4 fingers and thumb into her privates (this is a 5 year old). How many mothers out here think that is even possible?

One of the district attorneys wrote on Facebook something about the defense attorneys being morons, and an "expert" child psychologist or interviewer for the State responded back on FB that she "liked" that statement. That seems like grounds for prosecutorial misconduct to me. The DA's have rolled their eyes, yelled and have done all sorts of things in court that the judge didn't overrule. I think the judge is also biased in this case. Craft is not getting a fair trial in my book.

kbl8201
05-04-2010, 10:38 PM
i still think if they have an unbiased, intelligent jury the states 'testimony' wont hold water.

joeskidbeck
05-04-2010, 10:54 PM
Tomorrow, Tonya will be taking the stand in her own defense. That's something you don't see very often and I am glad that she's doing it. It will be tough as the prosecution will try to make her look like a total liar. So far, none of the defense's objections have been sustained and none of the prosecutions have been overruled. My hope is that with the expert witnesses that the defense has had on the stand the last few days is that the jury will see just how big a circus this whole fiasco has been.
It's time for the last act and time for Tonya to get her kids and her life back. I dont know her personally and I'm kinda glad that I don't. Have no idea how in the world to give comfort to someone who is actually going through the hell that she is.

Linda7NJ
05-04-2010, 11:10 PM
I don't believe she's guilty either. These families had some sort of vendetta against her and so did the ex. One alleged victim said Tonya Craft put her 4 fingers and thumb into her privates (this is a 5 year old). How many mothers out here think that is even possible?

One of the district attorneys wrote on Facebook something about the defense attorneys being morons, and an "expert" child psychologist or interviewer for the State responded back on FB that she "liked" that statement. That seems like grounds for prosecutorial misconduct to me. The DA's have rolled their eyes, yelled and have done all sorts of things in court that the judge didn't overrule. I think the judge is also biased in this case. Craft is not getting a fair trial in my book.

I think if this particular child were coached and manipulated her story wouldn't sound so incredible. I find it incredibly difficult to believe 3 children were manipulated into making false allegations against her.

I did see a clip of the father of one of these girls. His testimony was HEARTWRETCHING and 100 percent believable. I am unmoved by her defense thus far....although I do give her lawyers lots of credit, they're doing a really good job. But I remain unconvinced of her innocence.

pinkorchid
05-05-2010, 01:04 AM
I would have to see stronger evidence for me to find her guilty. From what I've seen so far there is reasonable doubt. Children lie. Prosecutors can be on a witch hunt.

I would rather err on the side of caution. If I weren't sure and didn't see credible evidence I would rather let a guilty person off than to see an innocent person go to jail for the rest of their lives.

kbl8201
05-05-2010, 01:32 AM
i think we run the risk of labeling every case here as 'guilty as charged' and i'll admit i rush to judgement just by reading thread titles sometimes.

guys can have crocidile tears and be good actors. or maybe they believe the lie so much it becomes the truth.

i havent seen that the 'kids are lying' though. saying 'she must have done it cause daddy says so' (as i hear the testimony goes) is being manipulated by your parent.

Linda7NJ
05-05-2010, 12:27 PM
I would have to see stronger evidence for me to find her guilty. From what I've seen so far there is reasonable doubt. Children lie. Prosecutors can be on a witch hunt.

I would rather err on the side of caution. If I weren't sure and didn't see credible evidence I would rather let a guilty person off than to see an innocent person go to jail for the rest of their lives.

It's my experience that 5 year old children don't lie and create complete works of fiction beyond their knowledge base. If a 5 year old claims to have been penetrated and can describe sexual acts and be specific about where it occurred ...it happened. That removes most doubt...When THREE girls make similar allegations...it removes all doubt for me.

Belinda
05-05-2010, 12:41 PM
I don't have a really clear feel for whether this woman is guilty or not. However, I do believe that a 5-year old can be coached, if a parent had that type of intent. I also think the authorities are smart enough to figure it out, if that is the case.

kbl8201
05-05-2010, 12:51 PM
i dont know belinda. if the kids testify that 'she hurt me cause daddy says she did' and the judge and da have no problem with it, apprentley they either arent smart enough to figure it out, or they are plain corrupt.

Belinda
05-05-2010, 01:22 PM
i dont know belinda. if the kids testify that 'she hurt me cause daddy says she did' and the judge and da have no problem with it, apprentley they either arent smart enough to figure it out, or they are plain corrupt.

BBM. Do we know if this statement is a fact? If so, it is certainly a huge, huge problem. I am just wondering because it is so pointed that I can't see how a judge or the DA could ignore it.

tlcya
05-05-2010, 01:30 PM
prayers that this is resolved rightly and justly

kbl8201
05-05-2010, 01:37 PM
if they are corrupt then they'd have to ignore it.

kemo
05-05-2010, 04:54 PM
This case smells a bit like the "Satanic Panic" mass hysteria of 20 years ago where many innocent people were falsely convicted. Still, I will with-hold judgement until I have all the facts.

I have been trying to find out more on this but it has not "gone national" so local reporting is the primary source and they may tend to "go easy" on the local DA's office. The best sourse I have found is Wm. Anderson of the Cato Institute. (http://williamlanderson.blogspot.com/2010/05/tonya-craft-looking-at-evidence.html). While I do not generally agree with the Cato political line, I have found them (and Libertarians in general) to be objective straight shotters who tell the truth.

joeskidbeck
05-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Catoosa County Georgia and Hamilton County Tennessee are "sisters" as it were. I mean they are literally next door neighbors. In today's proceedings, judge House declared that a Hamilton Co. judge's ruling is "hearsay".......
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2010/may/05/craft-trial-judge-refuses-allow-another-judges-rul/?local

Somehow, I cant see this judge from Tennessee taking this very well. If a judges ruling cannot be admitted as evidence, what in the world can????? It is not only the prosecutors that are being totally ridiculous in this trial, it is also the judge. The really sad part in all of this is that if Ms. Craft were really guilty, they are making such a farce of this trial that she will easily get an appeal.

If you are from a town as small as the ones in question here, you already know how the "cliques" run everything. If you're not, there's no way to explain it, except: It's not who you are, It's who you know (and how well you know them)!

kbl8201
05-05-2010, 10:37 PM
this is ridiculous.

i guess the silver lining if there's a conviction is there's no way possible this nonsense would hold up on appeal.

pinkorchid
05-06-2010, 02:13 AM
A lot of reporters are twittering from the courtroom. You can google and get each day's play by play.

Belinda
05-06-2010, 05:39 AM
I guess the part that is confusing me is that I don't understand what the judge has to gain by this. The DA always wants to win their case, so I clearly see their motive. But, I don't understand the behavior of the judge. Unless he is in cahoots with the DA. This whole case is very strange.

joeskidbeck
05-06-2010, 12:20 PM
I guess the part that is confusing me is that I don't understand what the judge has to gain by this. The DA always wants to win their case, so I clearly see their motive. But, I don't understand the behavior of the judge. Unless he is in cahoots with the DA. This whole case is very strange.

Belinda, when Tonya divorced Joel Henke (her kids dad), House (the judge) was his lawyer. Tonya not only got custody of her children, but everything else she had requested. House, like Henke and the accusing children's parents all have grudges to bear. I, for one, cannot understand how House got away with not recusing himself from this case in the beginnng. :furious:

tlcya
05-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Belinda, when Tonya divorced Joel Henke (her kids dad), House (the judge) was his lawyer. Tonya not only got custody of her children, but everything else she had requested. House, like Henke and the accusing children's parents all have grudges to bear. I, for one, cannot understand how House got away with not recusing himself from this case in the beginnng. :furious:

AMEN and Halelu beck!

Belinda
05-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Well, it looks like she will have many, many trial errors to support an appeal for a new trial. However, it shouldn't have to go that far. There are some obviously hinky things going on here. I find it interesting that the judge is apparently not concerned that his reputation is being put squarely on the line here. I don't believe for one minute that he doesn't know what is being reported on this case. How can he not see how this is going to look on appeal? I, personally, think he is going to look like a complete fool and the appeal judge will most likely be scathing in his/her opinion.

kbl8201
05-06-2010, 12:43 PM
belinda those in power have no fear of losing it.

joeskidbeck
05-06-2010, 12:58 PM
belinda those in power have no fear of losing it.

You are sooo right,kbl, especially when you are a really big fish in a really small pond. House never for a minute thought that this case would go national. HOORAY!!!! When this is over, Catoosa county is going to have some positions open, at least one judge and 2 ada's. Astonishingly, the district attorney is not saying one word. He's not coming to court. Wonder if it's to distance himself from the circus? That won't help him because ultimately he is the one in charge. There went his political aspirations (I hope)! This man had the power to stop this from the get go. I dont think he informed himself well enough before this went to trial. Too late now.

PRAYERS FOR TONYA

kbl8201
05-06-2010, 01:06 PM
no he'll let his ada's be the scapegoats one way or another.

waltzingmatilda
05-07-2010, 09:03 AM
I am praying for Tanya. The Today Show did a story on her case this am. It's not on their page yet but I'll post a link when it's added.

I first learned of this story on Today last week. My dear bf was also watching and he said this case reminds him of the McMartin Preschool trial back in the late 80's. He lived in Manhattan Beach during this time and told of the 'witch hunt' in the community. Here's a link with info. Techniques used in questioning children are interesting... http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/mcmartin/mcmartinaccount.html

wm

joeskidbeck
05-07-2010, 09:28 AM
I am praying for Tanya. The Today Show did a story on her case this am. It's not on their page yet but I'll post a link when it's added.

I first learned of this story on Today last week. My dear bf was also watching and he said this case reminds him of the McMartin Preschool trial back in the late 80's. He lived in Manhattan Beach during this time and told of the 'witch hunt' in the community. Here's a link with info. Techniques used in questioning children are interesting... http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/mcmartin/mcmartinaccount.html

wm

Thanks, waltzing. I have been anxiously awaiting another segment on Today. I knew they had not left town, so they must have seen something that piqued their interest. I will be watching here for your link. Due to family obligations I have not been able to follow all the developments this week, so I really appreciate that others like you have taken an interest in Tonya's case. I believe I mentioned in an earlier post (sorry if I didn't) that Inside Edition had also been to Ringgold to watch the proceedings. If they have aired their segment, I'm not aware of it (will try to find out and post necessary link). Thanks to you and everyone that takes the time to read about this case before deciding on Tonya's guilt or innocence. You are all much appreciated and not taken for granted!

waltzingmatilda
05-07-2010, 09:43 AM
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/37015514#37015514

Here's the link I promised. It is a video and has footage of Tonya testifying in court. An expert also weighs in. Hope this link works.

joeskidbeck, Thank you for your kind comments. This case really intrigues me as I am a former teacher. It's a tough job. I hope and pray justice is brought either way but I have doubts of Tonya being guilty of these charges. All Moo.

wm

If the above link doesn't work, here's the link to Today's main page. Scroll down to 'headlines'.
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/

joeskidbeck
05-07-2010, 09:49 AM

Here's the link I promised. It is a video and has footage of Tonya testifying in court. An expert also weighs in. Hope this link works.

joeskidbeck, Thank you for your kind comments. This case really intrigues me as I am a former teacher. It's a tough job. I hope and pray justice is brought either way but I have doubts of Tonya being guilty of these charges. All Moo.

wm

If the above link doesn't work, here's the link to Today's main page. Scroll down to 'headlines'.

Thank you for the link. OT for just one sec: You (and all teachers) have my upmost respect! I believe if our teachers were paid a lot more and lawyers a lot less, we would see a lot less crime in our country.

joeskidbeck
05-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Finally, the story from Tonya in today's testimony:

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_175164.asp

waltzingmatilda
05-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Thanks joeskidbeck for linking the story. OMG is all I can say. It sounds like this began when Ms Craft asked a counselor to talk to her daughter about the showers with new step mom. What kind of kinky stepmom asks a child to help her shave 'down there'? And her choice of wedding dress was scrutinized for being 'too tight'. WTH? This is so messed up. What a nightmare for this lady!

From above link

When asked why she retained out of town lawyers, she replied, “If I have a brain tumor I’m going to get a brain surgeon. I’m not going to a walk-in clinic.”

I don't understand why she was questioned about her choice of counsel. I would have done the same thing. No way would I hire anyone locally who could be influenced by 'the machine' around there.

Gosh if this lady is in trouble for applying cream to a child's bottom, I don't know what to think. I had a 1st grader who couldn't clean himself once and needed help so I helped him. I asked another teacher to stand by so that another adult was present and called the parent afterwards to explain she needed to address this as it wasn't my job description. She was very grateful that I helped him but..... if she had taken exception I could have been in a heap of trouble!

Anyway, Today just covered this story again. I'll post a link once it's posted on their site. They raised questions about lack of experience by those who interviewed the children in this case.

wm

joeskidbeck
05-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Thanks, waltzingmatilda. I mentioned in an earlier post that I am from the same judicial circuit as Tonya. When my daughter was 14 years old, she and some of her friends got into trouble for making a huge amount of phone calls on a cell found that they had found. She had to go before a juvenile court judge so being a single mother, I applied for a court appointed attorney. They determined that I made too much money so I had to hire one (don't know what the standard is for "too much", but at that time I made less than (30k per year). Anyway, I had an aquaintance who happened to be a lawyer in Atlanta and he offered to come up and represent her at no charge, so happily I agreed. The judge chewed me out for bringing in "outside" counsel and let me know in no uncertain terms that my lawyer was not welcome in her courtroom! She did allow him to represent my daughter but not before humiliating me in front of a full courtroom and my friend who had driven two hours and donated his time on my behalf. He told me afterwards not to worry because most judges in small towns are that way. Said it looks as though you are trying to make the locals look bad by bringing in the big guns. Sorry it took so long to say this, but to me, it boils down to "what happens in Catoosa County, stays in Catoosa County". It's always been that way, but maybe now, those days are over.

Belinda
05-08-2010, 10:13 AM
What a nightmare, joeskidbeck. To me, a judge should be reprimanded for that type of behavior. It's sad that they are not. How unprofessional and petty. I am really fascinated with this case now and am anxious to see how it turns out. Frankly, it sure seems like a railroad to me.

waltzingmatilda
05-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Thanks, waltzingmatilda. I mentioned in an earlier post that I am from the same judicial circuit as Tonya. When my daughter was 14 years old, she and some of her friends got into trouble for making a huge amount of phone calls on a cell found that they had found. She had to go before a juvenile court judge so being a single mother, I applied for a court appointed attorney. They determined that I made too much money so I had to hire one (don't know what the standard is for "too much", but at that time I made less than (30k per year). Anyway, I had an aquaintance who happened to be a lawyer in Atlanta and he offered to come up and represent her at no charge, so happily I agreed. The judge chewed me out for bringing in "outside" counsel and let me know in no uncertain terms that my lawyer was not welcome in her courtroom! She did allow him to represent my daughter but not before humiliating me in front of a full courtroom and my friend who had driven two hours and donated his time on my behalf. He told me afterwards not to worry because most judges in small towns are that way. Said it looks as though you are trying to make the locals look bad by bringing in the big guns. Sorry it took so long to say this, but to me, it boils down to "what happens in Catoosa County, stays in Catoosa County". It's always been that way, but maybe now, those days are over.

Ohmy! I am sorry that you were humiliated like that in the courtroom. I'm glad she relented and allowed your daughter representation. Gosh I didn't know judges were allowed to speak this way. Aren't they supposed to be impartial? Was the judge the same one that's presiding over Tonya's case?

I wish for everyone to understand that I am not demeaning the testimony of these children. I would like to know the strategy used in the questioning of them though, especially after researching the McMartin preschool molestation trial. There are many behaviors that a child goes through which are age appropriate. For instance, four year old children have a penchant for telling tall tales. If you ask them questions, they will embellish the story and it becomes bigger and better. It is a natural part of their development.
How old were these children at the time of the abuse?

I have so many questions and like Tonya stated in her testimony "I just want the truth." I also want her to have a fair trial with an impartial jury.

OT I grew in in AL about 1 hr or so down I-59 S. I used to spend alot of time in Chattanooga as my cousin lived there. I loved Rock City when I was a kid! LOL!

VespaElf
05-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Personally I want to see the step -mother brought up on charges also!
Having her step-daughter help her shave her "bikini" area!!! WTF???

joeskidbeck
05-08-2010, 02:29 PM
walzingmatilda; no, it wasn't the same judge. At that time he was still a trial lawyer. You are right about the children. In all of the articles that I have read it seems as though the children were coached about what to say. Most of the time they started out saying nothing and were asked several times "is that all?" leading the children to believe they needed to come up with something else to say. My four year old grandson can come up with the most outrageous tales you have ever heard, all it takes is for an adult to mention something and he can stretch that tale for miles!

VespaElf, can you believe this woman testified to this in the trial! There is a law here in Georgia that says certain professionals must report suspicions of child abuse, I just wonder how many there were in the courtroom that day and if they reported HER? I'm glad that I don't know this woman. She has issues if she truly believed there is nothing wrong with that. It is wrong on many levels.

kbl8201
05-09-2010, 12:06 AM
seems to me if anyone is a molester its the step mom.

waltzingmatilda
05-09-2010, 08:41 AM
seems to me if anyone is a molester its the step mom.

No Chit!!!! I wonder what was going through the jurors minds when they heard this testimony.

waltzingmatilda
05-10-2010, 08:48 AM
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/37059519#37059519

Linda7NJ
05-10-2010, 09:38 AM
I just finished watching Wendy Murphy on the above Today link....

Two of the little girls had vaginal injuries.

IMO It's not looking good for Ms. Craft.

Linda7NJ
05-10-2010, 09:51 AM
walzingmatilda; no, it wasn't the same judge. At that time he was still a trial lawyer. You are right about the children. In all of the articles that I have read it seems as though the children were coached about what to say. Most of the time they started out saying nothing and were asked several times "is that all?" leading the children to believe they needed to come up with something else to say. My four year old grandson can come up with the most outrageous tales you have ever heard, all it takes is for an adult to mention something and he can stretch that tale for miles!

VespaElf, can you believe this woman testified to this in the trial! There is a law here in Georgia that says certain professionals must report suspicions of child abuse, I just wonder how many there were in the courtroom that day and if they reported HER? I'm glad that I don't know this woman. She has issues if she truly believed there is nothing wrong with that. It is wrong on many levels.

Had your four year old grandson ever told a complete and accurate work of fiction about being sexual molested? I would certainly hope not, and if he did....I would hope you would believe him.

Children can not create entire plausible scenarios about something they have never seen or experienced like sexual abuse. It's like a 5 year old accurately describing everything involved in piloting an jetliner....it ain't gonna happen.

I simply do not believe these children got together and conspired to bring down Ms. Craft and lied so well to convince the professionals around them. I doubt two of them injured themselves to frame her. I also HIGHLY doubt parents could ever coach their children well enough to convince professionals and do you really think the parents would go so far as to injure their own daughter's vagina's just to "get" Ms. Craft?

I also do not believe this is all the work of an angry ex-husband nor do I believe it's a corrupt judge or prosecution all working together to get Tonya Craft. . I'm also not buying into it's a "perfect storm" of all of these things coming together.

As much as it pains me, this woman IMO is a child molester. It's the most simple and logical conclusion. I have no doubts.

Is there any way to get transcripts of the children's testimony? There seems to be LOTS of inaccurate reporting.

Belinda
05-10-2010, 09:57 AM
That is the first time I have heard of vaginal injuries. That certainly would not be a good thing, if it is true. I wonder where this information came from? I saw that you listed the Today show, but did they reveal their source for this information?

tlcya
05-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Depends on who diagnosed vaginal injuries and the extent of those injuries. I prefer to sit back and withhold judgment on this one. A lot of what I have heard and read about how this case was originally handled, investigated, and tried smells fishy. So I would like to know if the person who conducted the exams was qualifed to recognize and diagnose sexual abuse.

I just can't help remembering the witch hunts of the past and that so much seems off about this case.

Children are highly suggestible and how they are interviewed and by whom can greatly affect their testimony. Children spend their entire days reading the body language, mood, and attitude of the adults around them. Add to that the fact that they inherently want to please the adults around them and you get a recipe for disaster. That is why it is SO SO important that when abuse is suspected they be interviewed by experts wha are qualifed in interview techniques that are appropriate and geared specifically toward children of that age range.

kbl8201
05-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Had your four year old grandson ever told a complete and accurate work of fiction about being sexual molested? I would certainly hope not, and if he did....I would hope you would believe him.

Children can not create entire plausible scenarios about something they have never seen or experienced like sexual abuse. It's like a 5 year old accurately describing everything involved in piloting an jetliner....it ain't gonna happen.

I simply do not believe these children got together and conspired to bring down Ms. Craft and lied so well to convince the professionals around them. I doubt two of them injured themselves to frame her. I also HIGHLY doubt parents could ever coach their children well enough to convince professionals and do you really think the parents would go so far as to injure their own daughter's vagina's just to "get" Ms. Craft?

I also do not believe this is all the work of an angry ex-husband nor do I believe it's a corrupt judge or prosecution all working together to get Tonya Craft. . I'm also not buying into it's a "perfect storm" of all of these things coming together.

As much as it pains me, this woman IMO is a child molester. It's the most simple and logical conclusion. I have no doubts.

Is there any way to get transcripts of the children's testimony? There seems to be LOTS of inaccurate reporting.

if you read the whole thread you'll notice there's a viable, alternative suspect to actual molestation

kbl8201
05-10-2010, 01:48 PM
i dont think the kids made up the molestation anymore.

i think its been redirected from who actually did it.

kemo
05-10-2010, 01:53 PM
The whole issue of "vaginal injuries" is one frought with controversy. During the "heyday" of satanic panic, it was very commen for the prosecution to present an MD "expert" who would testify "definite sexual abuse" while the defense would produce an equally qualified witness who would say "perfectly normal, no indication of sexual abuse". Since then, the science has improved. Now days, medical testimony is more likely to be non-commital; "vaginal injuries" will frequently be regarded as consistant with, but by no means proof of sexual abuse.

This website (http://www.pathguy.com/abuse.htm) is from a pathologist who is recognized as an "expert witness" and fequently testifies in court. You get the impression there is a very wide "grey area" where sexual abuse can neither be ruled in or out. There are some extreme situations where injuries are so serious that abuse is probable but many situations don't fall into that area. The pelvic exam is often not clear evidence one way or the other and it is just another piece of the puzzle the jurors will have to consider.

tlcya
05-10-2010, 01:55 PM
"vaginal injuries" is a pretty vague description. I will await more info. A lack of a hyman could be seen as vaginal injury by some but actually be an innocent state of affairs caused by many things not just abuse. and if abuse occurred, I don't know that it can convince me it came from this lady.

What are the statistics now on sexual abuse? 1 in 10, 1 in 5? It is epidemic in this country and if you examine a large enough group of children, unfortunately, you may well find phsyical indications of abuse in one or two.

kbl8201
05-10-2010, 02:01 PM
remember i said i heard tonya thought, due to her daughters behavior, that her father was molesting her. from the looks of it, she had the right tree, but the wrong branch. and if you think im falsley accusing step mom, tell me, other then micheal jackson, who thinks its normal behavior to bathe with a 7 year old or have them shave your pubic region?

Linda7NJ
05-10-2010, 04:14 PM
if you read the whole thread you'll notice there's a viable, alternative suspect to actual molestation

I read the article. The entire article. The three alleged victims identified TONYA CRAFT. Tonya Craft, no one else, and I believe them.

IMO That eliminates ALL other suspects from these particular allegations.

Linda7NJ
05-10-2010, 04:16 PM
i dont think the kids made up the molestation anymore.

i think its been redirected from who actually did it.

Why? Why do you believe they aren't lying about being molested but are lying about who did it? What is it about this woman that so many can not even imagine she is a child molester?

Linda7NJ
05-10-2010, 04:19 PM
remember i said i heard tonya thought, due to her daughters behavior, that her father was molesting her. from the looks of it, she had the right tree, but the wrong branch. and if you think im falsely accusing step mom, tell me, other then Micheal jackson, who thinks its normal behavior to bathe with a 7 year old or have them shave your pubic region?

No, it's not normal behavior by any stretch of the imagination. However, I feel that is a separate issue and allegation. IMO It isn't one or the other....it's both.

kbl8201
05-10-2010, 04:20 PM
because we see molesters manipulate kids into not telling they were even molested, how hard is it to imagine they could be manipulated into misidentifying who molested them, linda?

with threats like 'i'll kill your daddy/brother/mother if you dont do this'? how is that so hard to believe?

kbl8201
05-10-2010, 04:21 PM
no i dont feel that is a seperate issue or allegation. i feel it is all connected.

kbl8201
05-10-2010, 04:54 PM
another thing. when your case is built on garbage you ask the defendent stuff like 'why was your wedding dress so tight?"

Linda7NJ
05-10-2010, 05:28 PM
in the hands of the jury now!

great article

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_175323.asp

Linda7NJ
05-10-2010, 05:31 PM
another thing. when your case is built on garbage you ask the defendant stuff like 'why was your wedding dress so tight?"

Personally, I find the defense implying that a sexually abused child would never ever smile, especially in pictures .........eyeroll....desparate and the run of the mill defense of a child molester spew...imo.

elle1919
05-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Jury deliberated 3 hours then went home for the night. I am just on pins and needles to see the outcome of this one.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_175323.asp

They will reconvene in the morning. Note to self... check thread!

justthinkin
05-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Personally, I find the defense implying that a sexually abused child would never ever smile, especially in pictures .........eyeroll....desparate and the run of the mill defense of a child molester spew...imo.

I agree with you on this, Linda, 100%. I find the accused with a ready answer for everything, and very slick with her answers. There's just something off about her in the face of such an accusation. She reminds me of someone on the show, Survivor. She's going to outwit, outplay outlast. It's subtle, and she's very good at hiding what she is IMO.

Jade
05-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Complete coverage of the case:

http://www.newsrunner.com/entity/nation/tonya-craft/3052077563/0/0

Having followed the trail I was surprised to hear that person on Today say there
were injuries as if it was a proven fact there were signs of penetration.

Here is a recap of the testimony in which the exams revealed “suspicious” results.

Defense presented information that refuted:

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_173505.asp

Also on Today the woman said Ms Craft said didn’t know why she was
being accused. According to testimony it is because “she ticked off” the parents:

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_175191.asp

Here is an excerpt of the testimony from WRCB [within a blog] that the person
on the Today show finds so convincing:

http://reason.com/blog/2010/04/15/tonya-crafts-alleged-victim-re

From a local radio station news blog - Ms Craft passed a lie detector test twice:

http://www.wgow.com/Article.asp?id=1775958&spid=19588

More from that stations news blog:

http://www.wgow.com/Article.asp?id=1787462&spid=19588

http://www.wgow.com/Article.asp?id=1773202&spid=19588

It was four weeks of trial so there is a lot to read before one can really
draw a conclusion IMO.

Linda7NJ
05-10-2010, 06:11 PM
"Also on Today the woman said Ms Craft said didn’t know why she was
being accused. According to testimony it is because “she ticked off” the parents:

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_175191.asp (http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_175191.asp)"

That's not what the testimony ferreted out. That was Ms. Craft's version. Phone records prove at least one parent was very friendly with her and unaware of any sexual molestation up until police contacted HER wanting to interview her daughter!

butwhatif?
05-10-2010, 08:41 PM

wm

Thanks for the link. All I can say is ,I got the same vibe from the Dad on the stand as I did with RC in his first interview, and that is FAKE !

But the def atty saying she didn't have time to abuse children is ridiculous. Where there's a will there's a way- not that I am convinced of her guilt.
When did she speak to a doc about the kids? Before or after the allegations were made against her?

butwhatif?
05-10-2010, 09:13 PM
Finally, the story from Tonya in today's testimony:

I tried to imagine that this testimony was coming from a male. If it was, I would be thinking that all the great things this teacher did for the kids and their families would seem like grooming.

But there's one paragraph that leads me to believe she is likely innocent.

A peodophile doesn't use tools like the 'good choices' book.
JMO

“You always talk to your students about making good choices, don’t you?” asked the attorney. “Yes.”

Dr. Lorandos showed the witness a book and asked what it was. Ms. Craft identified it as “The Good Choices Book” she and her daughter had used to identify good choices the child had made during a day. A copy of the book is submitted so that the witness could keep the original.

butwhatif?
05-10-2010, 09:27 PM
I just finished watching Wendy Murphy on the above Today link....

Two of the little girls had vaginal injuries.

IMO It's not looking good for Ms. Craft.

But who caused the injuries? I've been in a situation where a child told me one person was abusing her, but it turns out it was likely a different person, and she was coached to blame the other.

I'm not convinced either way yet.

butwhatif?
05-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Has Tonya had any previous psych issues that were brought up in the trial?
TIA

I'm really on the fence about this one. Something's not sitting right. It seems like she has two very different sides to her personality. A very wholesome one, and an overtly sexual one.

If it were a male, I know I'd think he was gulity as heck.
It's just so hard to wrap your head around a woman, a mother,a teacher doing these things.
But we know it can , and has happened in other cases.

Really curious to see what the jury decides.

cuppy199
05-10-2010, 09:58 PM
Complete coverage of the case:

http://www.newsrunner.com/entity/nation/tonya-craft/3052077563/0/0

Having followed the trail I was surprised to hear that person on Today say there
were injuries as if it was a proven fact there were signs of penetration.

Here is a recap of the testimony in which the exams revealed “suspicious” results.

Defense presented information that refuted:

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_173505.asp

Also on Today the woman said Ms Craft said didn’t know why she was

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_175191.asp

Here is an excerpt of the testimony from WRCB [within a blog] that the person
on the Today show finds so convincing:

http://reason.com/blog/2010/04/15/tonya-crafts-alleged-victim-re

From a local radio station news blog - Ms Craft passed a lie detector test twice:

http://www.wgow.com/Article.asp?id=1775958&spid=19588

More from that stations news blog:

http://www.wgow.com/Article.asp?id=1787462&spid=19588

http://www.wgow.com/Article.asp?id=1773202&spid=19588

It was four weeks of trial so there is a lot to read before one can really
draw a conclusion IMO.

Thanks for sharing the links. I have to say after reading the blogs at the radio station and seeing someone comment about it caught my eye. Their are two blogs entry where someone says something about someone being accused of something by one of the people who are accusing this women. Im wondering if these womens lawyer has done a check on this people. Im really starting to think there is something off about this whole case.

kbl8201
05-10-2010, 10:43 PM
when it comes out in 10 years (after she's been convicted, locked away, and forgotten) that the stepmom was guilty, guilty alone, and had manipulated her victims into saying whatever she wanted, dont be shocked.

Special K
05-10-2010, 11:09 PM
True, but is it not possible that a woman can be overtly sexual and still be appropriate with children? Being a sexual person doesn't necessarily mean you'd involve children. I think you can be a good mom and still be sexy - with adults.

I was watching the Today Show this morning and Wendy Murphy implied that since Ms. Craft had a relationship with a woman she was capable of these crimes. Even Matt Lauer had to break with the neutral and call her out on that. Seriously, what kind of logic is that? Women *are* capable of abusing children, but the kind of clothes they wear, or having consenting adult homosexual relationships, are not indicators of that at all. I can't believe those things were even allowed in the trial, let alone alleged on national TV.

Some of the bloggers (http://williamlanderson.blogspot.com) in this case have alleged that the vaginal injuries she mentioned on The Today Show may not have been properly assessed either. I don't know, and honestly I don't really want to know details, but there's at least some doubt out there about the validity of that claim.

We talked a lot about childhood memory in my college psychology classes, specifically in connection with things like the Little Rascals case. And the truth is, kids DO lie, or misremember, or mis-report. Especially the very young ones. Asking a young child repeatedly "Is there anything else?" is a blueprint for getting an outrageous tall tale. Kids want to please, and if they think adults are displeased with the stories they're telling, they DO have the imaginations to come up with more. These interrogations, at least as reported, sound incredibly mis-handled.

I can't say for sure what The Truth is in this case, but something very weird is going on here. I'm not sure it's an active conspiracy, but it very well might be a grudge snowballed in with a lot of ignorance about sexuality and child psychology.

kbl8201
05-10-2010, 11:16 PM
im sure that comment made a lot of gays and lesbians happy

LadyL
05-10-2010, 11:36 PM
I'm siding with innocent.
Those who've destroyed her should go to prison.
And I hope those kids can forget about this drama quickly.

butwhatif?
05-10-2010, 11:40 PM
BBM

True, but is it not possible that a woman can be overtly sexual and still be appropriate with children? Being a sexual person doesn't necessarily mean you'd involve children. I think you can be a good mom and still be sexy - with adults.

But she's not entirely wholesome with children. The boundaries seem blurred to me.
I know that my DD's teacher is very wholesome in the classroom, but I don't know what she gets up to in her spare time- that's none of my business, but it's also why I would never allow DD to go to a party or sleepover at her house.
They should have stuck to parties for kids and parties for adults, not all of them together....especially when alcohol is involved.

And they should not have mixed school and pleasure/parties...that's just a disaster waiting to happen imo. She's their teacher- she shouldn't be their friend and baby-sitter too.

And who lets their kid be watched by someone who had to write a letter of apology to everyone for her drunken behaviour?
Bad judgement all round imo.

I'm beginning to think that Tonyas suggestion that the stepmom was possibly sexually abusing her own daughter (interestingly, just after her daughter says she now has two mommies), spiralled into a tit-for-tat revenge scenario, and these poor kids have been dragged into a nightmare.

Can someone please link me to where it says that tonyas daughter helped shave her stepmoms pubic hair? From every article I've read, it says the daughter noticed the difference between her mom and stepmom while showering with stepmom- not that she shaved it for her. BIG difference.

My six yr old dd showers with me sometimes, and my 11 yr old neice has walked in on me in the shower. I don't tell them 'dont look down there'. Of course they notice these things. They're curious.

And one more thing, the kids may have been coached, they may have actually known about these things from their own admitted gf/bf play, or they may have seen it from being exposed to pornography, either by an adult, another child, or just from being online.

Regardless, if it were my child involved I would absolutely err on the side of caution and get it all checked out. but i would also tell them that the most important thing was telling the truth, no matter what it is, and if they were making it up, or told to say it, they would not get into ANY trouble for changing their story.
JMO

kbl8201
05-10-2010, 11:45 PM
well she goes to get it checked out and the next thing she knows the cops are barging down her door, accusing her and taking her kids. not like she had a chance. and then the prosecutors would just say she was the one that coached them anyways.

butwhatif?
05-10-2010, 11:49 PM
I was watching the Today Show this morning and Wendy Murphy implied that since Ms. Craft had a relationship with a woman she was capable of these crimes. Even Matt Lauer had to break with the neutral and call her out on that. Seriously, what kind of logic is that? Women *are* capable of abusing children, but the kind of clothes they wear, or having consenting adult homosexual relationships, are not indicators of that at all. I can't believe those things were even allowed in the trial, let alone alleged on national TV.

Some of the bloggers (http://williamlanderson.blogspot.com) in this case have alleged that the vaginal injuries she mentioned on The Today Show may not have been properly assessed either. I don't know, and honestly I don't really want to know details, but there's at least some doubt out there about the validity of that claim.

We talked a lot about childhood memory in my college psychology classes, specifically in connection with things like the Little Rascals case. And the truth is, kids DO lie, or misremember, or mis-report. Especially the very young ones. Asking a young child repeatedly "Is there anything else?" is a blueprint for getting an outrageous tall tale. Kids want to please, and if they think adults are displeased with the stories they're telling, they DO have the imaginations to come up with more. These interrogations, at least as reported, sound incredibly mis-handled.

I can't say for sure what The Truth is in this case, but something very weird is going on here. I'm not sure it's an active conspiracy, but it very well might be a grudge snowballed in with a lot of ignorance about sexuality and child psychology.

I thought the lesbian issue was noteworthy only because she did not openly admit to having a lesbian experience. She claims that she was drugged, and woke up in bed with another woman?? C'mon! Why not be entirely honest about it?
Her ex hubbys statement that he found her with lesbian porn, backs up the fact that she may be bi-sexual. That's no biggie, and has absolutely NOTHING to do with child molestation, but why not admit it and move on?

Her denial, and claims that she she was drugged just don't sit well with me.
I don't care if she was worried that her sexuality would be put under scrutiny, what I care about is the truth,the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

ETA: CORRECTION: Am just now reading that witness (ex-hubby?) didn't 'catch' her watching girl-on-girl porn- they were watching it together. (not that it really matters either way, just wanting to correct my mistake)

He is saying the night Craft went drinking with a female friend and woke up next to her that Craft told him she thought she had been drugged. Prosecution asks, "Are you the same person you are today that watched pornography with the defendant?" He replies, "I'm not the same person today."

http://www.walkermessenger.com/view/full_story/7176356/article-Live-from-the-Catoosa-County-Courthouse--Tonya-Craft-trial--day-10?instance=news_special_coverage_right_column

I do have to wonder why she didn't report an incident where she believed she had been drugged and possibly raped. Or did she? Hard to get the right info with the media saying different things.

kbl8201
05-10-2010, 11:52 PM
so she doesnt want to come out of the closet, so what?

what does any of this have to do with the case? and if this was a 'fair' trial that would be cause for a mistriall.

and the nonsense about the wedding dress is so absurd it proves how desperate they are to get a conviction. and depening on what kind of close minded people might be on the jury, that might work.

kbl8201
05-10-2010, 11:54 PM
i'll come back to this thread when there's a verdict. right now i need to step away.

butwhatif?
05-10-2010, 11:54 PM
well she goes to get it checked out and the next thing she knows the cops are barging down her door, accusing her and taking her kids. not like she had a chance. and then the prosecutors would just say she was the one that coached them anyways.

Did they stop the kids from seeing dad and stepmom when she wanted the step-mom investigated?

I don't understand why she isn't even able to have supervised visitation with her daughter. That way they could be certain that no coaching was going on by Tonya.
But to just rip a child from her mom like that is just waaaaay wrong, and paves the way for coaching by others. Especially if it was proven that one of the witnesses had A LOT of phone contact with Dad .

butwhatif?
05-10-2010, 11:57 PM
so she doesnt want to come out of the closet, so what?

what does any of this have to do with the case? and if this was a 'fair' trial that would be cause for a mistriall.

and the nonsense about the wedding dress is so absurd it proves how desperate they are to get a conviction. and depening on what kind of close minded people might be on the jury, that might work.

She is under oath!!! That's what! It hurts her own defence to not be entirely honest about everything.

kbl8201
05-11-2010, 12:05 AM
oh so her ex the step mom, and the prosecutors can lie, and they can coach the kids to lie, about what the case is ACTUALLY about. but if she lies about a collateral matter thats wrong. i dont get it. it has nothing to do with this case. it shouldnt have been brought up, it has no place in this trial. and it should have caused a mistrial.

i've seen witchunts, i worked on a case that haunts me to this day cause a woman has been convicted of murdering a man she never met simply cause of what her lifestyle was. i dont particpiate in witchunts.

butwhatif?
05-11-2010, 12:36 AM
oh so her ex the step mom, and the prosecutors can lie, and they can coach the kids to lie, about what the case is ACTUALLY about. but if she lies about a collateral matter thats wrong. i dont get it. it has nothing to do with this case. it shouldnt have been brought up, it has no place in this trial. and it should have caused a mistrial.

i've seen witchunts, i worked on a case that haunts me to this day cause a woman has been convicted of murdering a man she never met simply cause of what her lifestyle was. i dont particpiate in witchunts.

It's a courtroom- everyone should be telling the truth. But it rarely works that way.
I know that if I was in her position I would list every embarrassing or shameful thing (not that any orientation should make anyone feel ashamed) I've done, so that the jury knows that they can trust my honesty, and show them that I have absolutely NOTHING to hide.
If I'm open about the things I wouldn't normally want the public to know then they will know that I am nothing but honest.
She is fighting to clear her name, and hopefully regain custody of her daughter. The truth sets people free. Hiding things, makes a jury suspicious of what else they may be hiding.
JMO

kbl8201
05-11-2010, 12:52 AM
well im praying the jury sees this is nonsense.

butwhatif?
05-11-2010, 02:00 AM
well im praying the jury sees this is nonsense.

I really can't see a jury coming back with a guilty verdict. There's no way they've met their burden of proof. Not even close, imo.

If/when she's found not guilty, will she be re-united with her daughter? Or will it be tried all over again in a custody battle in family court?

kbl8201
05-11-2010, 02:25 AM
i think even with an acquittal she is still screwed as far as custody (and her job) goes. unless the girls suddenly come forward and say something.

keeponsearching
05-11-2010, 08:12 AM
I don't understand why some just assume she is not telling the truth. I mean her ex just said he doesn't watch porn anymore, I might wonder if he is lying, and does the fact that anyone watch adult porn make them a bad person. She might of blacked out that night. It can happen to anyone.
I wonder, if any of the children every came home that "day" from Tonyas and said we had baths at so and so. Or it just came up a year later. Doesn't make sense.

tlcya
05-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Just watched coverage of this case on GMA and found something really disturbing in the conversation I had not known previously. Apparently one of the child/victims (alleged?) has done some acting and actually played the role of a sexually abused child. I am assuming that there would have to have been some coaching involved in the preparation to play that role and this disturbs me. I wonder how much that played into the interview of this child and her responses to questions.

Jade
05-11-2010, 09:31 AM
"Also on Today the woman said Ms Craft said didn’t know why she was

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_175191.asp (http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_175191.asp)"

That's not what the testimony ferreted out. That was Ms. Craft's version. Phone records prove at least one parent was very friendly with her and unaware of any sexual molestation up until police contacted HER wanting to interview her daughter!

Yes, that is Ms Craft’s statement. Then she gave instances.

My point is that the Today Show women gave an inaccurate synopsis of the facts.

She said TC said on the stand she didn’t know why she was being accused.

As far as your reference to the other testimony I am not understanding what that has to do with the inaccurate information conveyed on the Today Show that TC did not know why when she testified she did know why.

There is relevant discussion, imo, about how the accusations came about and who talked to who but it has no impact on the fact the Today Show women was wrong in those two statements.

elle1919
05-11-2010, 10:23 AM
still waiting for a verdict : http://www.newsrunner.com/display-article/?eUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fabcnews.go.com%2FGMA%2FTheLaw%2 Fgeorgia-kindergarten-teacher-tonya-craft-accused-child-molestation%2Fstory%3Fid%3D10610046&eSrc=ABC+-+WHAM+13+-+Rochester+NY&eTitle=Former+GA+Teacher+Fights+Molestation+Charge s

snip~Craft faces 22 counts, including child molestation, aggravated child molestation and aggravated sexual abuse, Chattanoogan.com reported. The jury will continue deliberations Tuesday in the 21-day trial, according to the Chattanooga Free Press.

"I never ever imagined that someone that did absolutely nothing could be arrested, indicted and face the rest of your life in prison," Craft said.

Craft said she believes the children were playing on their own when she wasn't looking.

"I think that what has happened is more within a travesty. I think that the experts have explained how something this horrible can happen," Craft said. "But I think there's a lot of things that have been done wrong that I know I did not do … anything to these children."

Craft's own daughter is one of the three young girls she has been accused of abusing. She lost custody of the girl in 2008. ~end

elle1919
05-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Video of charges read to jury: http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2010/may/11/video-charges-given-jury/

Jade
05-11-2010, 10:47 AM
I thought the lesbian issue was noteworthy only because she did not openly admit to having a lesbian experience. She claims that she was drugged, and woke up in bed with another woman?? C'mon! Why not be entirely honest about it?
Her ex hubbys statement that he found her with lesbian porn, backs up the fact that she may be bi-sexual. That's no biggie, and has absolutely NOTHING to do with child molestation, but why not admit it and move on?

I don't care if she was worried that her sexuality would be put under scrutiny, what I care about is the truth,the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

ETA: CORRECTION: Am just now reading that witness (ex-hubby?) didn't 'catch' her watching girl-on-girl porn- they were watching it together. (not that it really matters either way, just wanting to correct my mistake)

http://www.walkermessenger.com/view/full_story/7176356/article-Live-from-the-Catoosa-County-Courthouse--Tonya-Craft-trial--day-10?instance=news_special_coverage_right_column

I do have to wonder why she didn't report an incident where she believed she had been drugged and possibly raped. Or did she? Hard to get the right info with the media saying different things.

Where do you get all of that out of your link?! :

He is saying the night Craft went drinking with a female friend and woke up next to her that Craft told him she thought she had been drugged.

I think that this testimony from the father of one of the accusers [/I]is better described in this article:
http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_174160.asp

Going to the idea of Ms. Craft’s “prior bad acts” the prosecution asked the father of child witness #3 if he had knowledge of an instance where the defendant had done anything that might construed as other than heterosexual. His answer was that he knew of an instance where she had gone out one evening with a female companion and had not returned home until the following day.

He said she told him that she remembered having a few drinks at a nightclub and the next thing she realized was that she woke up at the friend’s home in the same bed with the girlfriend.

Under cross-examination, the witness could not recall any other details of the incident.

This is how Ms. Craft testified:

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_175102.asp

“What’s this about you blacking out with Jennifer Sullivan?” “Joal took this and added more things to it to make me look bad. Jennifer and I had gone to dinner and I had a few more drinks than she did because she was driving.” She said they had gone back to Ms. Sullivan’s and taken off their make-up, put on their “jammies” and gone to bed. She also said that no one was looking for her, nor did anyone walk in on them.

tlcya
05-11-2010, 10:49 AM
TY for the link elle but when I click it I get a "blog not found" message and then a prompt to return to the home page.

kbl8201
05-11-2010, 12:14 PM
the longer the jury is out the better

tlcya
05-11-2010, 12:15 PM
still awaiting a verdict. I would not want to be on that jury, talk about pressure, no matter what the verdict, outrage is gonna follow its announcement.

tlcya
05-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Good morning my friend, hope today goes better for us both ;)

Jade
05-11-2010, 12:17 PM
respectfully snipped>>>>>
I'm beginning to think that Tonyas suggestion that the stepmom was possibly sexually abusing her own daughter (interestingly, just after her daughter says she now has two mommies), spiralled into a tit-for-tat revenge scenario, and these poor kids have been dragged into a nightmare.

Can someone please link me to where it says that tonyas daughter helped shave her stepmoms pubic hair? From every article I've read, it says the daughter noticed the difference between her mom and stepmom while showering with stepmom- not that she shaved it for her. BIG difference.

My six yr old dd showers with me sometimes, and my 11 yr old neice has walked in on me in the shower. I don't tell them 'dont look down there'. Of course they notice these things. They're curious.

snip>>>>>>>>

BBM

Tonya's testimony:

Going on to the issues with Sara Henke, her ex-husband’s new wife, she said that her daughter had told her one day that “you and Miss Sara are different.” She said she described all the physical characteristics where she was different from Sara. Next she said, her child told her that she wasn’t talking about that, she said “you’re different “down there. You have hair down there and Miss Sara doesn’t.”

Ms. Craft stated that she still didn’t feel that it was appropriate for (child) to be showering with Ms. Henke. She further testified that the child told her that she helped her step-mom pull the skin tight so that Ms. Henke would not cut herself. Following that Ms. Craft approached the school counselor to discuss this and find out what was going on and what to do. She wanted someone else to speak to the child as she didn’t feel like she was objective enough to question her child.

kbl8201
05-11-2010, 12:18 PM
cant go much worse tl ;)

tlcya
05-11-2010, 12:22 PM
MOO only but if my child was encouraged to bath or shower with a stepparent I would find that HIGHLY inappropriate and would have reacted the way Ms. Craft did. Justsayin.

elle1919
05-11-2010, 04:27 PM
I think the jury must still be out, I haven't had any alerts and I searched but can't find anything, I did find this station that says they are going to stream the verdict live. I can't watch but I will post the link for any who can.http://www.newschannel9.com/news/newschannel-991103-stream-.html

I hope we aren't headed for a hung jury.

i.b.nora
05-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Tonya Craft Found Not Guilty Of All Charges

Tonya Craft was found not guilty of all 22 counts of child molestation by a jury in Ringgold on Tuesday afternoon. Judge Brian House was notified at 4:30 p.m. and word was passed to Ms. Craft and her attorneys, who were staying at an undisclosed location away from the courthouse. The media was waiting to be admitted to the courtroom. Ms. Craft, who was facing some 400 years in prison if convicted of all counts, soon arrived at the courthouse with her lead attorney. The jury was to be read by Catoosa County Superior Court ...

Jade
05-11-2010, 05:32 PM
The jury has reached a verdict.

Everyone is gathering at the Courthouse.

http://chattanoogan.com/articles/article_175323.asp

Link to live coverage:

http://www.wrcbtv.com/

TaylorJ4
05-11-2010, 05:36 PM
Innocent of all 22 charges!

i.b.nora
05-11-2010, 05:36 PM
Tonya Craft Found Not Guilty Of All Charges (http://chattanoogan.com/articles/article_175323.asp)

by Dennis Norwood
posted May 11, 2010

"Tonya Craft was found not guilty of all 22 counts of child molestation by a jury in Ringgold on Tuesday afternoon.

Judge Brian House was notified at 4:30 p.m. and word was passed to Ms. Craft and her attorneys, who were staying at an undisclosed location away from the courthouse. The media was waiting to be admitted to the courtroom.

Ms. Craft, who was facing some 400 years in prison if convicted of all counts, soon arrived at the courthouse with her lead attorney.

The jury was to be read by Catoosa County Superior Court Clerk Norman Stone.
The jury has deliberated a day and a half.

As soon as the verdict is released it will available on Chattanoogan.com."

Even though I don't think I posted to this thread before, I have been following it, I have read all the reports of the trial, the day by day reports. It looked like a railroad job to me. Finally, someone there, got it right!!!

TaylorJ4
05-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Live stream from courthouse
Waiting to see if Tonya will speak, judge told jury they did not have to speak to the media but jury foreperson stated he would like to talk...

rosario
05-11-2010, 06:16 PM

I have to respectfully disagree with all of your posts..children who are not exposed at all to innappropriate behavior would have a very hard time "making up scenerios" like this...but this is not the case, these children have been exposed to people, authority figures and friends, parent swho all oare discussing things with them that no 5 yr old should ever hear.. and when you are questioned by authorities and professionals and you are a child it is very easy, very easy to get confused as to what the child really said and what she thought she remembered..for example the professional asked "did she use her fingers in your private area" and the child says " yes" and then they say "how many" and the child answers back with what she thinks they want to hear...and these children are trying to make all of the adults who are giving them attention happy, their parents, teachers, police, lawyers....tonya does not dispute that something happened she just said it wasnt her..and the fact that there are three of them does not suprise me either they are all friends and two of them were caught being innapropriate with eachother..they are 5 years old, i have two children and I know how easy it is to manipulate them into believing certain things...I have personal experience in this type of situation on a (professional level) and children should always, always be believed, always but this situation is NOT RIGHT something is very wrong here....p.s.,,,on the today show they were actually brining up the fact that tonya wore thongs, wore dresses that were to tight and flirted with men...come on...most of the woman i am friends with would be guilty....

elle1919
05-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Wow....not guilty.

waltzingmatilda
05-11-2010, 06:31 PM
I am happy for Tonya being found not guilty by a jury of her peers. IMO the judge presiding over the case was not at all impartial. Hopefully she can begin to rebuild her life somewhat back to normal.

I am sorry for the children who were involved in this and what they have gone through. I also hope CPS follows up on testimony and investigates other leads and provides these children with additional counseling if it is needed.

Tonya is probably financially broke now and, realistically, may never teach again but at least her name is cleared.

Prayers for all involved in this mess.

wm

Linda7NJ
05-11-2010, 07:26 PM
But she's not entirely wholesome with children. The boundaries seem blurred to me.
I know that my DD's teacher is very wholesome in the classroom, but I don't know what she gets up to in her spare time- that's none of my business, but it's also why I would never allow DD to go to a party or sleepover at her house.
They should have stuck to parties for kids and parties for adults, not all of them together....especially when alcohol is involved.

And they should not have mixed school and pleasure/parties...that's just a disaster waiting to happen imo. She's their teacher- she shouldn't be their friend and baby-sitter too.

And who lets their kid be watched by someone who had to write a letter of apology to everyone for her drunken behaviour?
Bad judgement all round imo.

And one more thing, the kids may have been coached, they may have actually known about these things from their own admitted gf/bf play, or they may have seen it from being exposed to pornography, either by an adult, another child, or just from being online.

Regardless, if it were my child involved I would absolutely err on the side of caution and get it all checked out. but i would also tell them that the most important thing was telling the truth, no matter what it is, and if they were making it up, or told to say it, they would not get into ANY trouble for changing their story.
JMO

Tonya's version of putting medicine on one UNRELATED alleged victims genitals ...HUGE RED FLAG to me. Who in their right mind does that?

Linda7NJ
05-11-2010, 07:39 PM
All I have to say...I know there is no way in the world anyone could convince my child to accuse me of such acts. No friggin way! Three, THREE girls, similar acts....blows my mind she wasn't convicted!

IMO It's a really good thing that the vast majority of child sex offenders can't afford half a million dollars for a defense of smoke & mirrors.

I disagree with the verdict and my heart goes out to the children and the families involved.

TaylorJ4
05-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Melydia Clewell of WRCB interviewed Tonya after the verdict and it will be shown on the news tonight at 11 pm

joeskidbeck
05-11-2010, 08:18 PM
I am thanking God that a jury of Tonya's peers were able to see through all of the lies and manipulation that has been presented to them in the last few weeks. Anyone who doesn't believe that a group of people in a town as small as this one couldn't get together and ruin an innocent person's life should pray that it never happens to them. These children did NOT tell a story of how they were abused. It only came about after hour and hours of questions. Then they only started to remember things after the cameras were turned off. The so called counselors only had high school educations and the physical exams did not show evidence of abuse. One girls exam may have shown evidence of touching, but remember, this is the girl who was caught playing "boyfriend/girlfriend" with another girl. All you have to do is read the trial transcripts in the Chattanooga papers to see what a farce this really was. I in no way would support a person who I believed was a child molester. It happened to a small child who I love very much and believe me, when he told what happened, no one needed to ask any questions and he sure didn't have any trouble remembering what happened. By the way, Tonya's daughter was not convinced to tell that her mother had abused her. Her testimony was that her daddy told her mommy did bad things to her but she did not remember it.

butwhatif?
05-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Where do you get all of that out of your link?! :

I think that this testimony from the father of one of the accusers [/I]is better described in this article:
http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_174160.asp

This is how Ms. Craft testified:

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_175102.asp

Sorry for the confusion. The link was to 'back up' my correction that was edited. I had 'assumed' that the witness in the quote was the ex-hubby, since it had been the ex-hubby (in seperate articles) claiming to have 'caught her' with girl on girl porn and saying that she had woken up in bed with another woman presumed to have been drugged.

I only spent the day looking at various articles, so forgive my errors.

butwhatif?
05-11-2010, 08:31 PM
I am happy for Tonya being found not guilty by a jury of her peers. IMO the judge presiding over the case was not at all impartial. Hopefully she can begin to rebuild her life somewhat back to normal.

I am sorry for the children who were involved in this and what they have gone through. I also hope CPS follows up on testimony and investigates other leads and provides these children with additional counseling if it is needed.

Tonya is probably financially broke now and, realistically, may never teach again but at least her name is cleared.

Prayers for all involved in this mess.

wm

Unfortunately a not guilty verdict does not mean her name is cleared in her community . This will linger with her for the rest of her life, and people will still point fingers and accuse her.
Her reputation is forever tarnished even with the NG verdict.
Not to mention what those poor kids have endured!
Thats why there needs to be harsh punishments for false allegations like this.

butwhatif?
05-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Tonya's version of putting medicine on one UNRELATED alleged victims genitals ...HUGE RED FLAG to me. Who in their right mind does that?

See, that's where the whole thing got really confusing. because most reports were coming via twitter, or in articles updated minute by minute, and were short sentences using the word 'witness' instead of clearly identifying each witness by A,B,C,D,E ect, I think it caused a lot of confusion.

I thought it was an unrelated child that she used the cream on, then read another article where it stated it was her own daughter. Then another article says it was a student. :banghead::banghead:

I'm sure it was made clearer for the jury. And they got to actually see the victims, which would have made a BIG difference.

Kinda OT: I had a friend who was sexually abused as a small baby under her mothers watch. When my friend reached her 20's her mother finally admitted that the Dad would lock himself in the room with the baby for hours, and he was without a doubt abusing her.
When she had her baby, she was absolutely TERRIFIED of using any diaper rash cream on her own child, because she felt like she was sexually abusing her.
I even felt weird about using the cream on my DD's, even though I knew I was doing it to help them, not hurt them.

If an eight year old, related, or unrelated asked me to put cream on them down there, I'd likely tell them to do it themselves. If they're old enough to wipe themselves in the bathroom- they can apply cream by themselves.

I say this because I wouldn't ever want it to be misconstrued as something abusive.

Back on topic now, even though we have a not guilty verdict, we still don't really have the truth. I hope it comes out someday.

It would be interesting to know which 'abusive movie' one of the victims starred in and what the plot was.

ALL JMO

rosario
05-11-2010, 09:52 PM
thank god!!!! this poor woman and her kids!!! those poor kids who had to endure this nightmare....I hope their is some possible way for her to sue, where is she going to work??? no one will ever hire her with children????I hope some good can come out of this...ugh!!!!

TaylorJ4
05-11-2010, 11:44 PM
Interview with Tonya on WRCB tonight-she states the fight has just begun, her goal is to regain custody of her children and then fight to make sure no other children/adults have to go through this ordeal (false accusations).

They also commented that when her own daughter testified in the courtroom it was the first time Tonya had seen her in almost 2 years.

I feel she was innocent but those little girls were certainly victimized by the system

WholeLottaRosie
05-12-2010, 12:22 AM
Oh thank goodness. I have been following this and was praying the jury would do the right thing. The judge needs to be removed from the bench and he and the prosecutors should face charges. And the parents of the accusers. They all need to pay Ms. Craft financial restitution.

BeenaBobba
05-12-2010, 12:47 AM
My friend KBL just said, "Thank God!" I'm pretty happy, too.

pinkorchid
05-12-2010, 01:02 AM
Great news. I'm hoping Tonya will write a book and hopefully regain some of the money to repay her parents. There was no evidence against her and she was railroaded by the corrupt Catoosa County judicial system. Her lawyers have called in the FBI for misconduct in the case. The jurors saw through a case that never should have gone to trial. I hope her ex-husband feels guilty as he seems to have started most of this. And I hope those two evil ex-friends of hers are run out of town on a rail.

tlcya
05-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Prayers for Tonya and her family - that they can move past this awful event and find some sense of normalcy again. Prayers that Tonya continue to receive the love and support of her family and friends as she tries to rebuild a life. Prayers that her daughter can grow into a happy, well adjusted adult and not blame herself for this chapter in her mother's life. May she realize that she did nothing wrong and that she was manipulated by adults who were running their own agendas.

waltzingmatilda
05-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Video of Tonya, her hubby and her atty on Today.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/37103478#37103478

You know who I'd like to see interviewed? I would like to see an interview with the judge in this case.

I couldn't get the live feed yesterday evening. Does anyone know if the juror who wanted to talk was interviewed? And where would I find a link? TIA

wm

i.b.nora
05-12-2010, 02:54 PM
I think Tonya is going to be on Larry King Live tonight.

waltzingmatilda
05-12-2010, 03:10 PM
I think Tonya is going to be on Larry King Live tonight.

Thanks i.b.nora. Are you (or any other sleuths) planning to watch? I would greatly appreciate a play by play of anything significant from you or anyone who is able to do so.

OT We had our satellite service disconnected last week in order to save $$$$ for a trip to visit our families this summer. :waitasec: I really miss my cable channels at times like this. LOL! It will be worth it in order to visit our dear relatives tho!:woohoo:

Thanks for the update.

wm

i.b.nora
05-12-2010, 05:43 PM
I can't promise you that I am going to watch it at the early hour because it conflicts with another couple of shows. I might watch it at the later hour, but it depends. In any case, a transcript will be available later in the evening. Transcripts usually appear at CNN at about 10 PM Pacific time

waltzingmatilda
05-12-2010, 05:50 PM
I can't promise you that I am going to watch it at the early hour because it conflicts with another couple of shows. I might watch it at the later hour, but it depends. In any case, a transcript will be available later in the evening. Transcripts usually appear at CNN at about 10 PM Pacific time

Thanks so much for the info I.b.nora! I will check the CNN site for the transcript. You Rock!

wm

Masterj
05-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Will someone please clarify something for me? I noticed in an earlier post Linda mentioned Tonya putting medicine on a child other than her own. However, in the Today Show interview, Tonya stated she applied medicine to her own daughter.

i.b.nora
05-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Tonya is correct. Linda is wrong.

Linda7NJ
05-12-2010, 08:06 PM
Tonya is correct. Linda is wrong.

You are correct. I was wrong.

I really would like to read the actual transcripts of children's testimony. Anyone have access?

i.b.nora
05-12-2010, 10:50 PM
To my knowledge there aren't any exact 'transcripts' but if you go to:

http://www.chattanoogan.com/

In the little box at the top, under the date, enter Tonya Craft and click.

It will take you to a Google listing where you can find the Chattanoogan articles day by day of the trial. There are brief descriptions on the Google page that will help you find what you are looking for. The Chattanoogan seemed to have the best most straight forward coverage of the trial day by day without alot of editorializing in the article.

i.b.nora
05-12-2010, 10:56 PM
I peeked in on Larry King a couple of times, and I don't think Tonya herself was on the program, it was her mother, father, a friend, and maybe a couple of others. Also, it was not on for the full hour. I really don't think we missed anything.

WholeLottaRosie
05-13-2010, 12:40 AM
I peeked in on Larry King a couple of times, and I don't think Tonya herself was on the program, it was her mother, father, a friend, and maybe a couple of others. Also, it was not on for the full hour. I really don't think we missed anything.

And her attorneys, although not the lead one. Bits and piece were interesting - Tonya's parents do see both kids, that was something I wasn't clear on.

What good came of Larry King's show was more publicity about this what was wrong about this case. And I think the more publicity about the judge and prosecutors, the better.

Belinda
05-13-2010, 02:09 AM
I really hope that Tonya can get her kids back now. It would be such a great injustice if she were denied custody after all she has been through to prove her innocence. I am waiting anxiously to see what happens with that. I am afraid they will still hold it against her, even though she was acquitted.

tlcya
05-13-2010, 09:29 AM
I also pray Tonya custody issue be revisited in light of recent events. Unfortunately, Tonya did not prove her innocence, just her lack of guilt by a reasonable doubt. So the custody issue may still be an uphill battle.

Once an accusation and trial have taken place on a something like this, her name is forever attached to this ugliness. I wish her well, but I fear her struggles are not over in the forseeable future.

Linda7NJ
05-13-2010, 09:38 AM
I really hope that Tonya can get her kids back now. It would be such a great injustice if she were denied custody after all she has been through to prove her innocence. I am waiting anxiously to see what happens with that. I am afraid they will still hold it against her, even though she was acquitted.

Ummmm, IMO She did not prove her innocence, she was found not guilty. There is a huge difference.....(think O.J.)

Belinda
05-13-2010, 09:43 AM
My comments are made from the viewpoint that I believe she is completely innocent, not simply found not guilty. OJ, on the other hand......

waltzingmatilda
05-13-2010, 09:56 AM
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/37103788/ns/today-today_people/

joeskidbeck
05-13-2010, 01:11 PM
It is my utmost prayer that this judge and both the ada's face CRIMINAL charges for false prosecution. Probably won't happen, but they should at the very minimum lose their jobs. They knew very well this was all bogus. If you lived in this area and knew the people involved, you would be as convinced of this as I am. At least Tonya's defense lawyer was on the phone with the FBI immediately following the trial. I have already written Georgia's attorney general and I won't stop until this man explains to me how this was allowed to happen. The most disgusting part of this is that REAL child molesters get off with a slap on the hand and go right back out and do it again!There are people who will always believe that if a person is accused, then by God! they are guilty. That is just not so. Tonya has even been disparaged because her family had the money to provide her defense. They used all their savings and mortgaged their house because they knew their daughter was innocent. This is all I am going to be saying on this matter. I have been praying for weeks about this and God answered my (and lots of others) prayers.

lillygator
05-13-2010, 02:14 PM
I read the article. The entire article. The three alleged victims identified TONYA CRAFT. Tonya Craft, no one else, and I believe them.

IMO That eliminates ALL other suspects from these particular allegations.

do you have children? In several of your posts you state that children don't lie and can't be that coached.....um yes, they can - and they can be easily coached into telling what to say.

childcare providers put diaper cream and the like on all the time??

glad she was found not guilty. Hope she gets her kids back.

Belinda
05-13-2010, 03:04 PM
joeskidbeck - I hope that if you hear back from the Attorney General, you will be kind enough to post it. I would be fascinated to know what their take is going to be on this. I feel like there was some egregious behavior and bias shown in this trial and I sincerely hope someone is going to be taking a look at that.

joeskidbeck
05-13-2010, 03:23 PM
joeskidbeck - I hope that if you hear back from the Attorney General, you will be kind enough to post it. I would be fascinated to know what their take is going to be on this. I feel like there was some egregious behavior and bias shown in this trial and I sincerely hope someone is going to be taking a look at that.

I will gladly post his reply here. As an aside, the AG of Georgia is running for governor this term. I'm sure that I am not the only one who has contacted his office about this case, so it should be in his best interest to come out with some sort of statement. This whole thing has really embarrased me. I love my state, but this is reprehensible! :cry:

joeskidbeck
05-13-2010, 03:37 PM
One more thing. If you're having trouble believing that the jury did the right thing please go to the following link and read all the coverage this reporter did on the trial:

http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12315163 This has a day to day synopsis.

I wish I could point you to a link that had the exact transcripts, but the judge refused anyone to have recording devices and only the members of the press were allowed to take notes. Maybe since the trial is over the actual transcripts will be released. But be forwarned you will not be able to believe what went on in this courtroom.

Belinda
05-13-2010, 04:09 PM
I have always been one of those people who assumes that if someone is charged with a crime, they are guilty. But, in this case in particular, the more I read the more flabbergasted I was by her obvious innocence and the assinine behavior of the judge. This combined with all the DNA exonerations over the last few years is definitely making me see things in a whole new light. I am truly frightened by the number of innocent people who sit in our prisons. And it has been shown, in so many cases, that the prosecutors knew they had the wrong person and got them convicted anyway. Since they have immunity, I guess they feel no pressure to worry about railroading somebody. This immunity must be removed. They must be held accountable when they have clearly acted in a dishonest and unjust manner in order to get a conviction.

Stepping off my soapbox now.

alsmom
05-13-2010, 05:51 PM
Does the jury even have an option of Innocent as opposed to Not Guilty? If not, anyone that has ever had to go to trial even if found Not Guilty can never be considered innocent? :waitasec:

newcomer
05-13-2010, 06:09 PM
What's really sad about this whole thing is that aside from the courtroom appearance, Tonya hasn't seen her children in 2 years. That's a long time for the father, stepmom, et al to brainwash the children. Even if she gets custody or visitation, it could be detrimental to the children only because Tonya has no doubt been painted a villain by them. If her daughter really believes she was molested by Tonya, how will she react to having to spend time with her mother? Flip side of that, if the daughter was only saying what she believed her dad & interviewers wanted her to say and she knows deep down she was lying, it could be very damaging with the guilt she might suffer as she grows up.

IMO, there will have to be lots of counseling to mend the damage. It's bad enough for children of divorce when one parent or both trash the other, but this case takes bad to the nth degree. I'm sure this is confusing for her children all the way around.

gitana1
05-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Ummmm, IMO She did not prove her innocence, she was found not guilty. There is a huge difference.....(think O.J.)

do you have children? In several of your posts you state that children don't lie and can't be that coached.....um yes, they can - and they can be easily coached into telling what to say.

childcare providers put diaper cream and the like on all the time??

glad she was found not guilty. Hope she gets her kids back.

I love ya' Linda and I agree with many of your posts. But I'm not sure why you find it impossible or improbable that this woman was railroaded. Anyone who has ever really researched the child abuse witch hunts that occurred several decades ago across our nation will realize that children do and will make highly detailed FALSE statements about what someone did to them.
I watched a video of one of the girls in a central California witch hunt case, being interviewed. She was asked if a certain person ever molested her. Her body language was quite telling. She threw her upper torso back very hard and fast while saying "No!" with a disgusted look on her face. She was about five years old at the time. Several interviews later (much of which included statements to her such as, "It's okay to tell me what happened. You know your friend said Mr. So and So touched her privates. We are so happy she was so brave to tell us. Can you be brave?"), the child came up with detailed graphic statements about abuse which ten years later she believed wholeheartedly as they had been so imbedded in her mind by praise and repetition.
The same thing happened in the McMartin preschool case out her in CA. At the end, the preschoolers had such fantastic tales about being raped in airplane rides in the sky (during preschool hours), people being killed and sacrificed, hours long satanic rituals in which they were molested, raped and tortured by numerous people for hours (during preschool hours), that it became ridiculous. IIRC, the case began to fall apart somewhat when some of the kids began accusing the wrong people, like cops and interviewers.
In other cases, there are children who are pathological liars who make up incredible stories, sometimes about abuse, either due to mental illness or due to mental issues that involved actual abuse of them by someone else in the past. I had a little friend like that. She was seriously physically abused and all us neighborhood kids knew it but never told. Her dad would strip her and whip the crap out of her. She showed me the blisters. She told me horrible things about seeing her parents "f$%&", and this when we were only seven or so. I was appalled, had never heard such language, but she knew it. She lied about silly things at first, like having horses, trying to make her sad life seem better. As she got older, her lies became more frequent and bizarre.
When I got older, I finally called a child abuse hotline after she had been moved from school to school and then removed altogether from school and held captive in her room for several weeks. She was taken away and we saw her on visits out of foster care, but by that point the child (then 12) was so messed up she made up dangerous stories. She told us that she was having sex with the foster parent's 17 year old son. She told them my teen brothers took her to a rock festival miles away and that she was having sex with them. This was untrue as we only had her for a few hours a couple of times and it was me, my mom and her going to the movies and to eat. The foster family gave her back because she told so many graphic and dangerous lies.
Also, there are instances when kids just want attention or are spiteful and are exposed to graphic information from friends or other situations, perhaps inadvertently, and go off that to create a completely false story. Three 11 year old girls in my neighborhood accused a homeless guy a few years back of raping them. They were very detailed about it. They eventually confessed that they made it up for "fun" and didn't know it would get so big.
The fact that one of the accusers in this case is a professional child actress who played the lead role in a film in which her character was abused, that's the red flag to me. If she learned about sexual abuse in the film, I could see her teaching her friends about it.
Kids do make up stories. More often, however, in the case of false accusations, they don't make anything up. Instead, they regurgitate false stories which are spoon fed to them carefully, sometimes subconsciously by bad child abuse investigators, or hysterical parents.
Can kids who adore their parents lie about them? Sure, especially in divorce situations. I have seen it in my own cases. It's called brainwashing or parental alienation.
Finally, we say "witch hunt" because of a very famous case of false accusations that occurred right here in the USA and that has haunted our history ever since: The Salem Witch Trials. Girls of all ages came up with incredible accusations. They were able to contort their bodies in impossible positions. They screamed, suffered and some almost died from exhaustion and lack of food. It went on and on and as they continued to give detailed descriptions of the acts of the accused, including satanic rituals, torture and "familiars" that sucked the witch's fingers, etc, more and more people were hung or imprisoned in horrific conditions, including a four year old witch who went irreversibly mad after being chained to dank wall in a dark prison for several months. So yeah, Linda, I would say that little kids can make up false stories and some very detailed ones at that. Surely you don't think those kids were telling the truth?
P.S., I don't think the stories in this case were that detailed. Especially the ones from the kids who said they know Tonya molested them because their parents told them so.
P.S.S. Sorry this is so long!

jjenny
05-13-2010, 11:04 PM
Does the jury even have an option of Innocent as opposed to Not Guilty? If not, anyone that has ever had to go to trial even if found Not Guilty can never be considered innocent? :waitasec:

No, being found "innocent" is not an option. It's either guilty or not guilty.

jjenny
05-13-2010, 11:06 PM

This really isn't a fair conclusion because option of "innocent" is not even given to the jury. Using your logic, everyone who goes on trial is guilty but some might get off.

Salem
05-13-2010, 11:45 PM
Hey everybody - please remember - we are all entitled to our own opinions and we don't try to change the opinions of others.

You may point out the facts of the case, etc. but you may not attack another's opinion.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Salem

waltzingmatilda
05-14-2010, 09:24 AM
I would love to see a trial transcript of this case. Have any of you heard if they will be released? Could they be obtained through the Freedom of Information Act?

Linda7NJ
05-14-2010, 09:32 AM
I would love to see a trial transcript of this case. Have any of you heard if they will be released? Could they be obtained through the Freedom of Information Act?

No need to file under Freedom of Information Act...it's a public record. Sometimes in high profile cases they can be accessed online...sometimes not. I am just not willing to pay for them. They can get quite pricey.

waltzingmatilda
05-14-2010, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the info LindaNJ. Maybe some media outlet will obtain them for us eventually.

wm

joeskidbeck
05-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the info LindaNJ. Maybe some media outlet will obtain them for us eventually.

wm

Good morning everyone! The transcripts are available. Tonya was told that it would cost her $21,000.00 to get the complete copy. I don't know if this is some sort of "special" copy or what, but that's a lot of money. Does anyone have any idea why a transcript would cost so much?
I saw the amount on one of the websites that have been following the case since the beginning and they are hoping that people will donate to a special fund in order to help raise the money.

waltzingmatilda
05-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Good morning everyone! The transcripts are available. Tonya was told that it would cost her $21,000.00 to get the complete copy. I don't know if this is some sort of "special" copy or what, but that's a lot of money. Does anyone have any idea why a transcript would cost so much?
I saw the amount on one of the websites that have been following the case since the beginning and they are hoping that people will donate to a special fund in order to help raise the money.

Oh. My. Gosh. I had no idea that it would cost so much. I think she should receive a free copy of HER own trial transcripts (less cost of paper and ink) as a courtesy considering there was a NG verdict, JMO.

Why would it cost so much? It would be interesting to request the cost of a transcript of a totally separate case in the county there just see if there are cost discrepancies. Perhaps the charge is for each page. Twenty one thousand dollars seems like an exhorbitant amount to me even with paper, ink and toner added in. Heck, I'd be willing to bring my own printer to make copies.

MOO

wm

tlcya
05-14-2010, 11:10 AM
A part of that cost is the copying (toner, ink, and the time paying a clerk to do it, etc.) but another fee is probably for "certification" done by the circuit clerk. Certification is sort of like the offical stamp from the clerk's office that indicated this is a true and correct copy of all pertaining to the trial. In my experience you always pay an heavy fee for a "certified" copy of anything. Also, considering how much expert testimony, witness interviews, etc. etc. were involved with this case, the transcript is probably going to be pretty voluminous.

The transcript will contain, not only the tesinomy that happened at trial but also any exhibits, motions filed during trial, arguments over those motions, the CV's of all experts, etc. etc.

Do I think it is fair that Ms. Craft is going to be charged for her own trial transcript. No. But if I or Jane Doe wanted a copy, yeah, I can see charging whatever fees are deemed approriate in that county.

Belinda
05-14-2010, 11:28 AM
I think it is an outrage that Tonya is expected to pay that ridiculous sum of money to access the transcript of her own trial. Yes, I can see them charging outside folks who want a copy, but we are talking about the defendant here. I can't believe she doesn't have an automatic right to a copy. Hmmm, maybe we need to do something about making this law? I think the poor woman has put out quite enough money and this is just gouging, IMO.

tlcya
05-14-2010, 11:31 AM
ITA Belinda

Belinda
05-14-2010, 11:38 AM
Frankly, I believe the prohibitive costs are simply to keep people from getting access to records. It's sort of their way around FOIA. Like Will County court records are set up to keep people out. You are supposed to have access to the records, but they charge $240 per year to access it.

tlcya
05-14-2010, 11:56 AM
yeppers

gitana1
05-14-2010, 01:39 PM
I often have to order transcripts of hearings when there is a dispute as to what the court actually ordered, for example. The transcript cost for a full, evidentiary hearing, which for me averages about 4 hours, is almost $300.00 - $600.00. That's here in California. So, if we double that for a full day, 8 hours and then times that by the number of days of Tonya's trial, I think we would come to a more reasonable cost. The copies I get are certified, by the way.
I don't know how many days Tonya's trial lasted but 21k sounds ridiculous to me. I think they just want to make it harder for the shenanigans in the courtroom to be made public.
But, I have no doubt that some media source will indeed purchase the transcripts and then the shameful farce of a trial they held there in Chattanoga will be exposed for all to see. I am thankful the jury saw through the b.s.. In fact, I wonder if it backfired on the DA.

gitana1
05-14-2010, 01:42 PM
Okay, I did some basic calculations after learning that Tonya had a five week trial. Seems the cost of the transcript would not be that out of line if the case was in California, at least.

Belinda
05-14-2010, 01:53 PM
Irregardless, the defendant should have a right to have a copy of their trial transcript provided to them by the court.

Jade
05-14-2010, 03:33 PM

One accusers mother agrees with you:

http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12479416

See video titled “Only on 3 Accusers Mother Speaks Out”

Belinda
05-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Well, obviously the accusers aren't going to turn around now and say she didn't do it.

i.b.nora
05-14-2010, 03:51 PM
Oh! That's little miss Sunshine's (the actress) mommy.

Yeah, perjury is not a pretty thing.

Jade
05-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Well no. I just found the interview……well….interesting…

Very surprised that she even gave an interview.
I would never expose my face for fear that I would be
recognized out and about with my daughter and that might cause her embarrassment.

But I guess since the DA & ADA [despite both being public servants
and the DA elected by the people] scurried off without even an
interview or returned call to the media she felt someone had to step up.:waitasec:

Jade
05-14-2010, 04:10 PM

I figured. It isn’t many little towns you have the queen bee speaking for the DA & ADA and with a mask face like a movie star.

Oh, I am such a sinner for saying that!

All IMO!

gitana1
05-14-2010, 11:36 PM

I'm confused. ******* Breslin is a 14 year old actress from new york. Her mom is Kim Breslin. She has two older brothers. The child who accused Tonya, the one whose mother is speaking, is 9. She's a professional actress and was not in Little Miss Sunshine.

pinkorchid
05-15-2010, 03:12 AM
I have a concern that after seeing the frame up of Tonya Craft, a kindergarten teacher, that many women (or men for that matter) will think twice before becoming a teacher. All it takes is an accusation of some little something and your life is ruined. It's not worth it. This case should never gone to trial.

I've pretty much lost faith in prosecutors, judges and social workers as well. Instead of trying to get to the truth, many seem to want to just put another notch in their belt. "I won!" I'm not soft on crime by any stretch but I want people to judge fairly and to always seek the truth.

I'm tired of Grand Juries indicting ham sandwiches just because an accusation comes before them. And I'm tired of the general population presuming guilt just because a case is brought. "They must have done it or there wouldn't be a trial." There are too many dishonest judges, prosecutors and law enforcement. In many cases there is obvious guilt and they definitely should be prosecuted, but not everyone that goes to trial is guilty.

gitana1
05-15-2010, 04:12 AM
I agree pinkorchid. I would fear being a school teacher today, especially in an area with small minded people or corruption. I used to be a preschool teacher, for years. One day, I read about a case of an intellectual type girl who moved to a small town and got a job at a preschool. She had nothing in common with the women at the preschool who didn't not like her much and thought she felt she was smarter than them. Eventually, dislike morphed into allegations of satanic, ritual sex abuse. I think she spent a few years in jail before charges were dropped, I can't remember exactly. It was somewhere in the east, IIRC.
Well, I began working at a school where some of the other teachers and the director were somewhat shallow, gossipy, *****y women. The parents loved me but some of the staff did not. I had nothing in common with them and I frankly think they felt threatened by me. For one, I was smarter than many of them. Sorry if that sounds arrogant, but I was. I could reach a couple of children that no one else could, with patience, persistence and love. I think that bothered them. The biggest threat, however, was that I complained.
This school was not following basic health and safety code mandates about hygiene. Nap mats were supposed to be assigned to specific kids and not switched around. The mats were supposed to be disinfected after every nap and the kids were supposed to sleep on a covering, instead of a bare mat. This was to prevent the spread of disease. There were also issues with disposal of diapers and hygiene with respect to the diaper changing area and toilets. It all looked fine but we had several classes of preschoolers and toddlers sharing the bathroom and diaper changing facilities and the way the school flouted state codes appalled me. Once, the state came to inspect. The director stalled him while sending an assistant into where the kids were napping, hastily putting mat covers underneath the kids. They knew they were not following codes.
Anyhow, I was reprimanded for cleaning too much. For example, I disinfected the lunch tables and chairs after the kids ate and were playing. I was told i could not do that and still effectively watch the kids, even though there were three of us outside. Well, I didn't like any of this and mentioned, "Aren't we going against state codes?" The director got huffy with me.
The worst was diaper changing. Each staff member had a diaper shift during which they would change all the toddlers diapers, one at a time. It took around half an hour. If I got any shift after the first one of the day, I would find children with crap encrusted in their genitals. It appeared that other staff were not properly cleaning the kids. I was disgusted and voiced my disgust. I mean, come on! These were someone's children sitting in feces for hours at time! I would go nuts if that was my kid! (In fact, I remember one parent pulled their child after noticing she was always dirty. The director simply said the dad was a "complainer". )
Anyhow, I made darn sure that the kids were cleaned - hands washed before naps, properly cleaned when I changed their diapers. I disinfected surfaces after use, basic stuff. And, they disdained me for it probably because they did not think such things were important. Then, some of the staff began labeling me the "butt doctor" to make fun of me for being diligent about cleaning the kids after they pooped. That did it for me. I remembered the case of that lady back east and I quit. I saw how this band of harpies were resentful of me and I knew that a group of lazy gossips could ruin a life. That was the last time I ever taught preschool.

LadyL
05-15-2010, 04:12 AM
so horrifying what's been done to her
more importantly, how can she ever regain a 'normal' relationship with her children now?
yep, it can happen to anyone
it's things like this that make me want to crawl under the blankets and never come out

joeskidbeck
05-15-2010, 06:30 AM
Wow, Gitana1, I don't blame you for leaving that place! Now I'm wondering what's happening at my grandson's daycare. But you are exactly right in that this is how Tonya ended up in this mess. It's sad that she probably had "dirt" on each accuser's parent, but too much class to bring it out in this kangaroo court. Don't know that I could have taken the high road if I had been her! The good part of this is that now that there is so much spotlight on the LMJD, things might just change and people will be able to get a fair trial. It sure hasn't been that way in a long while. Sad.

kbl8201
05-15-2010, 02:51 PM
well im glad tonya was acquitted. im glad the jury saw thru it, im glad i wont have to follow this case on criminal appeal for 20 years.

but i dont know how tonya can go on without her kids, and her career is ruined. may god see that she can get everything back.

kbl8201
05-15-2010, 02:52 PM
is one of the accusers mom really abigal breslins mom?

cause i think abigal is a great actress. if this is true, i guess its genetic!

gitana1
05-15-2010, 03:13 PM
No, kbl8201. One of the accuser's mom's is not ******* Breslin's mom. I think there is some confusion. The names and identities of the accuser's parents are well documented.

gitana1
05-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Wow, Gitana1, I don't blame you for leaving that place! Now I'm wondering what's happening at my grandson's daycare. But you are exactly right in that this is how Tonya ended up in this mess. It's sad that she probably had "dirt" on each accuser's parent, but too much class to bring it out in this kangaroo court. Don't know that I could have taken the high road if I had been her! The good part of this is that now that there is so much spotlight on the LMJD, things might just change and people will be able to get a fair trial. It sure hasn't been that way in a long while. Sad.

Off topic but PM me if you want tips on how to spot problems in a daycare or preschool. I worked at a few over the years and would not have put my child in any of them except one.

gitana1
05-15-2010, 03:29 PM
so horrifying what's been done to her
more importantly, how can she ever regain a 'normal' relationship with her children now?
yep, it can happen to anyone
it's things like this that make me want to crawl under the blankets and never come out

I think her relationship with her kids, especially her daughter, is destroyed and will take much to repair it even a bit. In her case, it smacks totally of parental alienation to me. Sad thing is, these kids now believe the false accusations they were led to make.
Based on that, the fact that her kids have been with the dad and step-mom for two years and that she has had zero contact with her daughter in that time, I doubt any court would give her custody back. She may get therapeutic visitation with her daughter but I'm not sure how that would work. These kids are seeing therapists who are treating them for sexual abuse. Yes, Tonya was acquitted, but some will say that does not mean she didn't do it and even if she didn't, her daughter thinks she does and everyone around her has been telling her her mother is a monster. How confusing this must be for her kids. How will the kids feel seeing a woman they continue to be told is a criminal? Imagine going back and forth between environments with completely opposite, yet powerful standpoints. And, this child, if she lets herself see the truth, will have to accept that her statements led to her separation from her mother as well as her mother's arrest and trial. That's heavy for a kid. Enough to make her nuts.
Yes, Tonya was acquitted but the damage done to her and her children is irrevocable. I don't know what I'd do if I was the family law judge. I don't know what I'd do if I were Tonya. I'd frankly be scared to be alone with my own kid at this point. What if she made further accusations just to justify what has happened or to prevent herself from accepting the truth?
One interesting thing is that the father immediately said after acquittal that he'd be open to visitation. Really? To me that shows he knows for a fact that none of this is true because if i thought someone molested my kid and got away with it, I would fight tooth and nail against any form of visitation at all, ever. He knows. I hope she sues the heck out of him and the other parents. Such a tragedy.

kbl8201
05-15-2010, 03:35 PM
what is even scarier, gitna, is the fact that this whole witchunt started because tonya believed someone was molesting her daughter, and the accusations got turned around on her
im not unconvinced that her daughter wasnt molested, but if she was i think its the stepmother, and i will stand by that statement. which means that little girl is in peril still

i.b.nora
05-15-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm confused. ******* Breslin is a 14 year old actress from new york. Her mom is Kim Breslin. She has two older brothers. The child who accused Tonya, the one whose mother is speaking, is 9. She's a professional actress and was not in Little Miss Sunshine.
I am fully aware of that. In some of the reports, she was nicknamed or referred to as 'Sunshine' because of her sunny disposition which was mentioned in the trial.

gitana1
05-16-2010, 04:50 AM
I am fully aware of that. In some of the reports, she was nicknamed or referred to as 'Sunshine' because of her sunny disposition which was mentioned in the trial.

Thanks. I didn't know that!

Tsunami
05-20-2010, 11:26 PM
And the drama in Bubbaville continues.......

Craft Investigator Says He Was Arrested Though Friend Of Prosecutor Slapped Him, Called Him Racial Slur
Eric Echols Said Magistrate Told Him In Effect To Stay Out Of Catoosa County

http://chattanoogan.com/articles/article_176102.asp

Belinda
05-21-2010, 04:51 AM
Holy Cow! What kind of backward wild west place is this? This is crazy. There has got to be an investigation of the goings-on here. This is absolutely egregious behavior.

waltzingmatilda
05-21-2010, 07:26 AM
Pathetic! This got turned around on him just like the molestation charges got turned around on Tonya. IDK how some people can sleep at night!

lalalemon
05-21-2010, 12:38 PM

You clearly have absolutely no idea how hard it is to come out! It took me literally years to have the courage to come out to my parents... and I still hate having to come out to new people. I think that Tonya had enough pressure with this diabolical case, without the added stress of coming out!

As an aside... I am so glad that Tonya has been found innocent and hopefully she can start to put this circus behind her and rebuild her life!

lalalemon
05-22-2010, 05:00 AM
Must be especially hard to come out in THAT town..when they probably would have blamed her sexuality in some way, I'm sure. JMO

Yes, I dare say you're right!

Also with regard to whether her being proven not-guilty means that she is innocent. Of course it does. Innocent until proven guilty, no? She's not been proven guilty.... therefore she is imo VERY VERY innocent!

joeskidbeck
05-22-2010, 07:18 AM
Must be especially hard to come out in THAT town..when they probably would have blamed her sexuality in some way, I'm sure. JMO

This case is the gift that just keeps on giving!

SB, they did try to blame it on her sexuality. At every turn. To list a few of the reasons she had to have commited this crime:
1: She mowed the lawn in a bikini top (true statement)
2: She woke up in bed with another woman (what's the point?)
3: She had sex with a black man (they made this up out of thin air and what's the point?)
4: She like to work out and keep her body fit (I envy her)
5: She remained friends and went on vacation with another couple after she was divorced(she's lucky there, her other friends dropped her like a hot potato, probably because they thought she was competition) BBM

I added the bolded comments just to show how ludicrous they were.

I could follow each one of these statements with "therefore; she must be a child molester". These are exactly the kinds of statements the prosecution used as evidence in Tonya's trial.

I live in this area. Please don't believe we are all homophobic racists. We are not and I believe the jury proved it with their verdict.

This prosecution evidently believed that there were still enough haters in this county that they could pull off this ridiculous farce of a trial. Thank God they were proven wrong!

joeskidbeck
05-22-2010, 07:24 AM
And the drama in Bubbaville continues.......

Craft Investigator Says He Was Arrested Though Friend Of Prosecutor Slapped Him, Called Him Racial Slur
Eric Echols Said Magistrate Told Him In Effect To Stay Out Of Catoosa County

http://chattanoogan.com/articles/article_176102.asp

Thanks for the link, Tsunami. If you would like to hear the story in Mr. Echol's own words, go here:

http://www.wgow.com/sectional.asp?id=20156 (http://www.wgow.com/sectional.asp?id=20156)

It makes quite a bit of difference (to me, anyway) to hear the interview as it obvious that Eric Echols is a decent man with morals and prinicipals
who was treated with total disrespect by the "powers that be" in Catoosa County. I was glad when he stated that not everyone treated him this way. For the most part, he was welcomed here as EVERYONE in this area wanted the truth to come out; good, bad, or ugly!

kbl8201
05-23-2010, 12:18 AM
i always wonder when people attack someones private life like that with no basis in reality to make that connection what skeletons lurk in those on peoples closets.

joeskidbeck
05-24-2010, 05:12 PM
All I can say for the following news story is: You go, girl!!!!!!!!!

http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12533513 (http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12533513)

Also, if you're interested, the investigator who was arrested in Tonya's case will be on this tv channel at 6:00 today. They will be showing the video in which he was slapped in the face and called a black b*****d by one of the accuser's moms. He was only there to serve a subpoena and thank Heaven, he videos ALL of his interviews and procedures, else he would be in lots of trouble as they charged him with witness tampering. This story can be found in the link that Tsunami provided above.

I will post the link later tonight for the video.

joeskidbeck
05-24-2010, 05:19 PM
I need to say something more....I am not one who thinks suing is the answer. Money cannot bring back Tonya's reputation or restore the little girls to their former innocence. I said all along that I just wanted the truth to come out and Tonya be vindicated. She was vindicated by a jury of her peers but the LMJC will not leave it alone. The press releases by the da's office and the sheriff need to stop. The jury made a decision and none of them deserve to be put down and ridiculed in the media. But, that's exactly what's happening, so yeah, I think Tonya should sue each and every one of them. Money is a language that all of these people speak fluently. Maybe next time they will think before going on a witch hunt.

Tsunami
05-24-2010, 07:43 PM
http://www.newschannel9.com/news/craft-991496-million-lawsuit.html

We all know what they say about paybacks!

LadyL
05-24-2010, 10:28 PM
http://www.newschannel9.com/news/craft-991496-million-lawsuit.html

We all know what they say about paybacks!

KARMA BABY!

you go Tonya!

ETA: and for the record, I'm not a sue-happy person either :P

kbl8201
05-24-2010, 11:11 PM
great.

any word about a custody lawsuit?

joeskidbeck
05-24-2010, 11:16 PM
great.

any word about a custody lawsuit?

Hi kbl, her attourneys filed the lawsuit for custody the day the jury returned the not guilty verdict. I've not seen a court date yet, but I am watching closely. Will post as soon as it appears.

kbl8201
05-24-2010, 11:24 PM
:woohoo:
Hi kbl, her attourneys filed the lawsuit for custody the day the jury returned the not guilty verdict. I've not seen a court date yet, but I am watching closely. Will post as soon as it appears.

thanks

joeskidbeck
05-25-2010, 10:01 AM
ONLY ON 3: Craft P.I. shares his story

http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12535299

Eyewitness News Assignment Manager/Reporter
CHATTANOOGA (WRCB) - Eric Echols is charged with threatening one of the accusers and her parents.
He offers a dramatically different version of events leading to his arrest. He says prosecutors shut him down to keep the jury from seeing what he found in his investigation.
Echols says the indictment came before the D.A.'s office learned he recorded every interaction he had with potential witnesses.
"I record things because of situations just like this," Echols says...More at link.

This article was written by Melydia Clewell. She is a reporter that was singled out by the prosecution in the trial. They accused her of feeding information to bloggers about the case. Hello......She was feeding information to ALL OF US about the trial. That's why she's called a reporter.

Belinda
05-25-2010, 10:31 AM
It is just sheer craziness the things that went on with this trial. I am really hoping to see some disciplinary and legal ramifications for the people involved in this. If it hadn't been right there in the public eye, no one would be the wiser for the antics that went on. They are going to have a hard time explaining themselves, I think. Thank goodness Echols was smart enough to tape everything. Shame on them all.

kbl8201
05-25-2010, 12:16 PM
this is why i said i know a witchunt when i see one

ohiogirl
05-25-2010, 02:53 PM
This judge is disgraceful! He needs to be run out of town. It's too bad that these little girls are never going to be the same because of what has happened. They have been victimized as well as Ms. Craft. This whole case was fubar from the beginning.
Ridiculous!

joeskidbeck
05-25-2010, 07:20 PM
I don't know what point it was that Tonya decided to get a lawyer from Atlanta, but that was the smartest thing she could have done. I think it was when her local lawyer told her she should plead guilty in order to escape jail time. I don't blame her, no way I will plead guilty for something I didn't do.

kbl8201
05-25-2010, 08:09 PM
no offense to someone who knows a good one, but her local lawyer must have been a PD with that kind of advice.

Tsunami
05-26-2010, 12:19 AM
http://www.timesfreepress.com/home/

waltzingmatilda
05-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Thank goodness the investigator was a step ahead and videos his visits. The 'Sunshine' lady sure shows a different side of herself than she does when she knows the cameras are running! JMO

wm

Tsunami
05-29-2010, 12:09 AM
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2010/may/29/first-custody-hearing-since-craft-acquittal-set/?local

kbl8201
05-29-2010, 12:13 AM
i hope they will expand her visitation rights.

lets hope her ex's judge isnt in charge of this too........

Tsunami
06-01-2010, 01:58 AM
Here I am at one in the morning, reading the Chattanooga Free-Press and Chattanoogan. I've done this since it is has available online for years. As you know, this case gets my panties in a wad, so I will continually keep posting anything I come across regarding this case.

I highly respect Dalton Roberts and it seems he sees the injudices too.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2010/jun/01/0601-craft-case-exposes-prosecution/?entertainmentlifeentertainment

Belinda
06-01-2010, 02:23 AM
Great article, Tsunami! Amen and amen!

kbl8201
06-01-2010, 12:20 PM
loved the article.

isnt it funny when the prosecutors use the media to turn the public against the defendent before the case ever goes to trial (i.e. kevin fox) they love the media......when they see the media exposing them for the frauds they are (this case) they hate them.

Tsunami
06-02-2010, 12:14 AM
Ladies, this just keeps getting better and better! As Always, I will keep you posted when I read something new.

http://www.newschannel9.com/news/craft-991741-attorney-complaints.html

waltzingmatilda
06-02-2010, 06:44 AM
Tsunami, Thanks for the updates. The letters were indeed interesting, especially the one to Eric Echols from the AG. Has the AG not seen the video that Mr Echols took when he was flogged by the Sunshine lady? Geesh! The 'machine' that is the LMJD really must feel they are beyond reproach. Sickening.........and very scary.

wm

Tsunami
06-14-2010, 01:20 PM
http://chattanoogan.com/articles/article_177808.asp

Tsunami
06-14-2010, 01:21 PM
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2010/jun/14/chattanooga-craft-ex-husband-meet-behind-closed-do/

waltzingmatilda
06-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the updates tsunami! I am glad that Ms Craft feels this is a step forward. She has been a pillar of strength in waiting to see her children and I am sure she misses them terribly. They are the true losers in all of this mess. I can't imagine how confused they must feel. Hopefully they will heal in due time. Prayers for Tonya and her fractured family.

MOO

wm

WholeLottaRosie
06-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Tonya was on Larry King Live last night with her hubby and attorney. Good show.

Tsunami
06-18-2010, 05:55 AM
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2010/jun/18/accusers-of-craft-face-legal-expense/?local

Belinda
06-18-2010, 06:38 AM
I hope she nails every one of them to the wall and I hope she takes every penny they ever hope to have. Not only for what they put her through, but for what they put their own children through in their efforts to "get Tonya."

waltzingmatilda
06-18-2010, 09:30 AM
Good for Tonya for working so diligently and taking legal action to restore her tarnished reputation. What I don't like is that the Henke children are still in the middle of all this. I know lots of kids go thru bitter custody battles and parental discord but it still doesn't make it right. Yet and still, I would do the same thing if I were in Tonya's shoes.
The financial devastation she has suffered due to this 'witch hunt' was unnecessary in the first place.

I have noticed the 'Sunshine lady' (sorry don't know her name) has suddenly been noticably absent from giving interviews since her recorded assault on Tonya's P.I. was publicized.

wm

kbl8201
06-22-2010, 10:37 PM
http://chattanoogan.com/articles/article_177808.asp

i hope this settles the issue once and for all, seriously.

if he honestly believes he molested they're daughter, why would he agree to a custody agreement with her? he would fight to the death to prevent her ever seeing her kids again.

Vegas Bride
06-29-2010, 01:53 PM
Tonya and her lawyer are on The View today.

VB

Tsunami
07-08-2010, 12:08 AM
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2010/jul/08/motions-to-dismiss-craft-suit-shot-down/?local

kbl8201
07-08-2010, 12:46 AM
lol as if it had a shot

joeskidbeck
07-08-2010, 07:46 AM
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2010/jul/08/motions-to-dismiss-craft-suit-shot-down/?local

Hi Tsunami! Thanks for the link. This is one trial I can't wait for. Karma is about to teach some folks a lesson.

Tsunami
07-21-2010, 01:05 AM
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2010/jul/21/tonya-craft-legally-able-teach-again/

Belinda
07-21-2010, 03:39 AM
It's great to see so much vindication coming her way. This poor woman has been through a hell that most of us can't even imagine. I have been so angry over what was done to her. I hope good things keep flowing her way.

joeskidbeck
07-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Craft lays out conspiracy in amended civil complaint

http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12847866

RINGGOLD (WRCB) – The individuals and agencies involved in the criminal prosecution of Tonya Craft "deliberately, intentionally and with reckless disregard ignored the constitutional and civil rights" of the former kindergarten teacher in a conspiracy to frame her for crimes she did not commit. That's the premise behind the $25 million dollar civil suit filed by Craft in the US District Court of North Georgia.
More at link.....

If anyone reading here still has doubts about Tonya's innocence, please read the whole article. It would be hard for me to have doubts after reading this. I hope she is truly vindicated and these people have to pay for using our justice system to ruin her life.

gitana1
07-21-2010, 08:24 PM
Wow. Thanks for posting this. I hope her accusers pay for what they have done. It's terrible.

gitana1
07-21-2010, 08:43 PM
It appears Tonya's custody battle is going to be postponed for some time, til' September. She only sees them sporadically is what I heard, and for very short time periods. It's such a shame what these false allegations did. I doubt she will reclaim any significant custodial rights anytime soon because the kids have been so poisoned against her that they probably would be traumatized to be in her care. Then again, I have seen cases where parental alienation is grounds to take custody from the alienating parent. We'll see. Poor Tonya and poor kids. http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2010/jul/15/tonya-craft-custody-battle-postponed/?local

Linda7NJ
07-21-2010, 09:09 PM
Terrible, if that's truely what happened.

Can you imagine iof the jury got it wrong? shivver..........that would be even worse!

Tsunami
07-22-2010, 01:19 AM
73-Page Suit Gives More Details Than Original 52-Page Filing
by Dennis Norwood
posted July 21, 2010

Attorneys for Tonya Craft, who was absolved of all charges of child molestation in a highly-publicized trial at Ringgold, on Wednesday filed an amended 73-page lawsuit against her accusers in Federal Court in Rome, Ga.

http://chattanoogan.com/articles/article_180280.asp

Tsunami
07-31-2010, 05:47 PM
An attorney for two of the defendants sued by Tonya Craft in Federal Court says her amended $25 million lawsuit still is not specific enough. Cristina Correia, assistant Georgia state attorney general, said the amended complaint fails to comply with the instructions of Judge Harold Murphy. Judge Murphy, of Rome, Ga., on July 7 had given Craft attorneys two weeks in which to provide more specifics relating to her accusations. The judge said he then would rule on motions by the defendants to be dismissed from the case. Ms. ...

i.b.nora
07-31-2010, 06:51 PM
If I am understanding it correctly, Attorney Cristina Correia represents Greenhouse Advocacy Center and Suzi Thorne. And, it is she that says the amended complaint fails to comply with Judge Harold Murphy's instructions.

It doesn't mean that the Judge thinks that, does it? Am I missing something?

Belinda
08-01-2010, 02:21 AM
Of course the defendants attorney is going to say there is a problem with the complaint. I will await the judge's decision on whether the complaint is properly complete. Thanks for the link, Tsunami. I hope the judge will allow the case to move forward. Tonya deserves justice for what was done to her.

VespaElf
08-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Has anything been done about the Step -Mother & her bathing/shaving activities with Tonya's daughter? Has CPS investigated that? That to me seems to be the only evidence of abuse presented at trial and Id hope it'd be pursued!

joeskidbeck
08-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Has anything been done about the Step -Mother & her bathing/shaving activities with Tonya's daughter? Has CPS investigated that? That to me seems to be the only evidence of abuse presented at trial and Id hope it'd be pursued!

I'd almost bet that this little tidbit is coming up in the custody trial. I truly don't know how Tonya kept from jerking this woman up by her hair! Tonya has shown that it is possible to go through hell and show grace and composure through it all. My hat is off to her!

i.b.nora
08-01-2010, 03:14 PM
According to William L. Anderson, who followed this case diligently because of his interest in prosecutorial misconduct, he says that the showering incident was what started this whole 'witch hunt' (my words).

You can read about it here (http://williamlanderson.blogspot.com/2010/04/what-if-tonya-craft-had-showered-with.html).

KaptainKebo
08-02-2010, 03:30 PM
I hope she gets probation!!

Belinda
08-02-2010, 03:40 PM

You hope who gets probation?

waltzingmatilda
08-02-2010, 05:14 PM

KK, I assume you are speaking of the step mom, Mrs henke, because Tonya was found innocent of all charges by a jury of her peers so she cannot receive probation. Has Ms. Henke been charged with something that we do not know about? I don't intend to sound confrontational but am curious about the implication of your post!

The SM has exposed her step-daughter to two of the 'three S's' per reports....(.'shizz, shower and shave)! Only the 'shizzing' part isn't mentioned in court documents. Who's to know.....

I just wonder to whom you refer in your post? TIA.

all MOO
Respectfully submitted,
wm

Tsunami
08-13-2010, 05:09 AM
Tonya Craft, the former North Georgia kindergarten teacher who was acquitted of 22 counts of child molestation, aggravated sexual battery and aggravated child molestation, will be hosting a talk show on WGOW-FM 102.3 beginning Sept. 7, the station announced Thursday.

The show will be called “The Truth of the Matter” and will air every other Tuesday from 3 to 4 p.m. The show will be produced by Kevin West and will feature Craft talking with callers and with studio and call-in guests discussing criminal cases, civil cases and other topics dealing with the legal system, he said.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2010/aug/13/craft-signs-host-radio-show/?local

Tsunami
10-02-2010, 01:09 AM
A judge has warned Tonya Craft that she has one more chance to get the paperwork right on her $25 million lawsuit.

U.S. District Judge Harold Murphy has told Craft and her legal team to revise the lawsuit twice and he said this is it.

“The court will grant no other opportunities to replead the second amended complaint,” Murphy said in his order, filed on Sept. 15.

The third version of Craft’s lawsuit was filed in North Georgia federal court late Thursday night.

“We feel like we’ve satisfied the judge’s order and, if in fact we haven’t, we’re not sure what else we can do,” said Cary King, one of Craft’s attorneys.

The suit was originally filed in May, a month after Craft, a former Chickamauga Elementary School teacher, was acquitted by a Catoosa County jury on 22 counts of child molestation.

In the suit, Craft claims that her accusers, which include her ex-husband and the Catoosa County Sheriff’s Office, lied under oath during her trial and falsely imprisoned her without any evidence.

She also claims the three girls who accused her — one of whom is her daughter — were manipulated to say Craft had molested them.

But the complaints in the original lawsuit, which includes 15 defendants, did not have enough specific details, Murphy said in his first order, issued in early July.

The lawsuit was rewritten and refiled later in July. But motions flooded in from the defendants, saying the suit didn’t give details that support Craft’s allegations, court documents show.

In response, the judge filed another order, stating the suit needed to be more “simple” and “concise” and each claim needed to be supported with a fact.

“We thought we had corrected what Judge Murphy wanted us to correct, but he thought it needed to be more specific,” King said.

Catoosa County Sheriff Phil Summers said he couldn’t comment on the case except to say “we still feel the claims in this lawsuit are unjustified.”

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2010/oct/02/craft-files-third-lawsuit-judge-says-last-chance/?local

i.b.nora
10-02-2010, 01:32 AM
I wonder if this judge is by any chance friends with some of the people listed in lawsuit?

Tsunami
11-16-2010, 05:51 PM
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2010/nov/16/tonya-craft-child-custody-hearing-set-begin/

Tsunami
11-16-2010, 05:54 PM
Testimony began Tuesday morning in Hamilton County Circuit Court in the case in which Tonya Craft is trying to regain custody of her two children by a marriage to Joal Henke. The children were taken from the former Chickamauga Elementary School teacher and given to the father after she was charged with multiple counts of child molestation in 2008.

Tsunami
11-16-2010, 05:58 PM
Updated: Nov 16, 2010 3:21 PM CST Minute-by-minute updates from the Tonya Craft child custody hearing. It comes six months after a jury found her not guilty of child molestation. More>>