PDA

View Full Version : OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010 - Part #3

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed
06-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Please continue here.

Part 1

Part 2

If you haven't read the rules or TOS lately, now might be a good time to do so. The Rules - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Once again, Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. We do not sleuth family until we are given a reason to do so. No one in this case has been named a POI. Further sleuthing, disparaging comments, and speculation about family involvement will not be tolerated. Anyone continuing to do so will be given a time out. THIS IS THE FINAL WARNING.

It is easy to blame the family. And yes, it is important to look there. But at this point, LE has given us no reason to do so. So for now, get out of your "sleuthing comfort zone". There are dozens of other avenues to explore.

Also, we NEVER sleuth minors. You may link to Facebook pages, but do not post direct quotes. And only link to those directly involved in the case.

As always, if you have any questions, please ask. You can PM a moderator, or check the Threadiquette thread that is a sticky at the top of the forum. (Threadiquette- Questions about rules welcome here - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community)

KaylynnCouture
06-06-2010, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the new thread, Idaho. :)

:praying: Praying Kyron is safe, wherever he is tonight.

cluciano63
06-06-2010, 11:28 PM
This little boy is just so cute, it is hard to believe anyone would want to harm him. He's not a wiseguy or a brat, a sweet, shy little boy (not saying a brat should be harmed either, before anyone starts in on me :( ) But unless he has walked away and is lost, then an adult or a much older child must have done something to him that has prevented him from being found for more than 60 hours...and likely longer as I don't think he will be found overnight, unelss anyone knows if they are searching? I did not get that impression...
It seems that he should have been found if he left on foot...just too sad and scary.

jessunlil
06-06-2010, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the new thread, Idaho. :)

:praying: Praying Kyron is safe, wherever he is tonight.

Adding my prayers.

A red-eyed tree frog for Kyron.

KaylynnCouture
06-06-2010, 11:29 PM
This little boy is just so cute, it is hard to believe anyone would want to harm him. He's not a wiseguy or a brat, a sweet, shy little boy (not saying a brat should be harmed either, before anyone starts in on me :( ) But unless he has walked away and is lost, then an adult or a much older child must have done something to him that has prevented him from being found for more than 60 hours...and likely longer as I don't think he will be found overnight, unelss anyone knows if they are searching? I did not get that impression...
It seems that he should have been found if he left on foot...just too sad and scary.

I totally agree with you..this case is so sad. I just hope and pray Kyron is safe.

As far as the searching, I haven't heard anything about them searching tonight. Does anyone know if they had an 8pm presser tonight, like last night? Or, if they'll have another presser tonight?

darlin gal
06-06-2010, 11:29 PM
Two Facebook Pages created for Kyron:

Missing Kyron Horman
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Missing-Kyron-Horman/125336750831264?ref=ts

Bring Kyron Horman Home Safe
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring-Home-Kyron-Horman-Home-Safe/125002377532398?ref=ts

CharlestonGal
06-06-2010, 11:30 PM
I'm a teacher. Sometimes kids leave early with their parents and don't take their stuff, especially towards the end of the year when they may not have much homework.

Thank you. I'm quickly coming to the conclusion my child goes to a really compulsive school. My cell phone is usually ringing before we get home when she forgets something. Sometimes I go back and get whatever it is, sometimes not (depends on what it is). I even had her teacher call me once and tell me my child had math homework and her mathbook is still at her desk so I needed to come back and get it.

I only have one child and she's only been at one school (she just finished 7th grade there) so I have to admit I'm clueless about schools in general I guess.

I'm still trying to get over the fact that I haven't heard anything about video at Kyron's school. There are cameras everywhere at my school. There is also only one way in and one way out for non-students and that is right through the office lobby. You sign in there and they unlock the inner door so you can get into the hallways. You have to go out the same way. Nobody just goes in and out.

Maybe some districts just can't afford that kind of security? Or just haven't thought about it or think they don't need it? It's important, I think.

cakegirl0905
06-06-2010, 11:32 PM
I just don't see the family in this. Everything mostly adds up...I think it was someone non related-a stranger, school employee, something along those lines.

KaylynnCouture
06-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Thank you. I'm quickly coming to the conclusion my child goes to a really compulsive school. My cell phone is usually ringing before we get home when she forgets something. Sometimes I go back and get whatever it is, sometimes not (depends on what it is). I even had her teacher call me once and tell me my child had math homework and her mathbook is still at her desk so I needed to come back and get it.

I only have one child and she's only been at one school (she just finished 7th grade there) so I have to admit I'm clueless about schools in general I guess.

I'm still trying to get over the fact that I haven't heard anything about video at Kyron's school. There are cameras everywhere at my school. There is also only one way in and one way out for non-students and that is right through the office lobby. You sign in there and they unlock the inner door so you can get into the hallways. You have to go out the same way. Nobody just goes in and out.

Maybe some districts just can't afford that kind of security? Or just haven't thought about it or think they don't need it? It's important, I think.

It doesn't take money to implement basic security procedures such as a sign-in sheet placed in the office requiring all visitors to sign in/out.

It also doesn't take money to ensure that the parents are notified when a child is marked absent. The school secretary should use the phone and call the parents if the parents haven't previously called to report the child missing.

IMO, a "poor school district" is not the problem here. The problem is the insane lack of security, common sense, and cooperation this school has at the moment.

eyes4crime
06-06-2010, 11:35 PM
Off topic: Blackhawks won another - one more and the cup comes to Chicago. Chicago is rocking tonight! Now - back to this sweet missing child, Kyron!

human
06-06-2010, 11:35 PM

They are making new schools where I live (with huge issues of people being angry-I guess they forgot that someone paid for their education). With the newer schools, they had to readjust the security, but it's still not that good.

No new ones are done, so I don't know what they will look like. You are lucky that your schools are that well monitored.

I think with Kyron, he may be affluent enough that no one would be concerned that he left his backpack and jacket. There was probably nothing that he would not have at home that he would need from the backpack. I'm sure that he would have plenty of jackets.

RubyRed
06-06-2010, 11:36 PM
I watched the presser again, it is well worth watching if you haven't. Some points I took from it.

A reporter asked if Kyron had an appointment because they have been hearing he did. LE said can't confirm that..

Kyron was last seen at a later hour in the morning at a south entrance door to the school.

Are not prepared to call it a kidnapping at this point. Will review it at 6 pm.

Not closer to finding him but some things have been ruled out.

http://www.kptv.com/kyron-horman/index.html

eyes4crime
06-06-2010, 11:38 PM
Adding my prayers.

A red-eyed tree frog for Kyron.

How thoughtful - just awesome!

human
06-06-2010, 11:39 PM
It doesn't take money to implement basic security procedures such as a sign-in sheet placed in the office requiring all visitors to sign in/out.

It also doesn't take money to ensure that the parents are notified when a child is marked absent. The school secretary should use the phone and call the parents if the parents haven't previously called to report the child missing.

IMO, a "poor school district" is not the problem here. The problem is the insane lack of security, common sense, and cooperation this school has at the moment.

I agree, that the school really goofed up on this. But, a sign in sheet is only as good as the people who use it. Unless the people have to walk through security like at Charleston's school, anyone can skip signing in.

I think this school probably had no issues for years, so they just never dreamed of anything like this. It just wasn't in their realm of thought.

sleuthy sleutherson
06-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Well, I will continue to pray for Kyron tonight and pray that he is home safe by the time I wake up and take my son to his preschool graduation in the morning, so sad that any child is missing and not where they belong and being loved and cared for. At the very least I hope LE has some sort of info to provide by tomorrow.

tarabull
06-06-2010, 11:42 PM
Portland Superintendent Carole Smith adds security, orders dialer for Skyline School (http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/portland_superintendent_carole_2.html)

[snipped...]In response to Kyron Horman's Friday disappearance from Skyline School, all K-8 schools within Portland Public Schools will start using automated dialer systems to notify parents when students are absent without preapproval, Superintendent Carole Smith announced Sunday.

More at link

RubyRed
06-06-2010, 11:44 PM
http://media.katu.com/images/060510_skyline_science_fair.jpg

The snapshot shows Kyron in the shirt he was wearing at the time he went missing. His science-fair project is in the background.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/95691389.html

human
06-06-2010, 11:44 PM
I watched the presser again, it is well worth watching if you haven't. Some points I took from it.

A reporter asked if Kyron had an appointment because they have been hearing he did. LE said can't confirm that..

Kyron was last seen at a later hour in the morning at a south entrance door to the school.

His classroom was on the second floor? Is that true?

If that is true, I wonder what he was doing by an outside door?

If that is true, what was he doing instead of being with his group at school? Remember, the kids were supposed to be in groups of 4 or 5 when he might have gone to his classroom.

But staff said that they didn't see him after 8:45. So where was he until later in the AM? Very strange. Plus, LE is indicating that they are not willing to call it a kidnapping at this point.

KaylynnCouture
06-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Portland Superintendent Carole Smith adds security, orders dialer for Skyline School (http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/portland_superintendent_carole_2.html)

[snipped...]In response to Kyron Horman's Friday disappearance from Skyline School, all K-8 schools within Portland Public Schools will start using automated dialer systems to notify parents when students are absent without preapproval, Superintendent Carole Smith announced Sunday.

More at link

Good. Now, lets just hope it wasn't too late.

jessunlil
06-06-2010, 11:46 PM

At one of the schools my children attended they had a sign-sheet in the office & visitors were given a bright orange badge to wear.
It was a small school and they knew who everybody was but you still had to sign in.

I'm thinking that if Kyron was abducted it was by some one who didn't stand out or who was, on some level, familiar to the people at the school.

cluciano63
06-06-2010, 11:46 PM
Was that it for updates for today? Seems too late now...almost 9pm out west...

Was Le's sighting of Kyron later in the AM by a child, I wonder? If so, how sure can they be? And if he was by a door was he waiting for a ride? And where had he been for that hour? So many questions still...why can't they say if he had an appointment? This makes it sound like he did and was waiting to be picked up?

sleuthy sleutherson
06-06-2010, 11:48 PM

Why can't they confirm if there was an appointment, it's an appointment and would be very easily confirmed if there was one...interesting. And what is a later hour in the morning? Why hasn't there been any confirmation if he was in one of the groups of the 5 children with a monitor viewing the other exhibits, I bet they can confirm all of the other children that were in the groups, it's only 5 children, I would know if he was in my group. This falls into the rough timeline category and not giving very many details category IMO. Banging head at these not very clear details and updates.

Kentjbkent
06-06-2010, 11:51 PM
Having raised three children who were coincidentally 7 years old at one time....

Did the photo of Kyron's project strike anyone as "odd"? That project was NOT completed by a 7 yr old....the one to the right of his was definitely constructed by a 7 yr old, mostly likely with assistance of an adult, but Kyron's..... (photo in post above)

I see a control issue there myself......which is taking my thinking in a whole different direction.....one that has a much preferred ending to this saga....that Kyron is safe, secure but very frightened....

WillenFan21
06-06-2010, 11:51 PM
I don't know if anyone else feels the same way but I think the school should be held somewhat accountable for this. This is complete BS that the parents weren't contacted about their child not showing up to class. This type of thing happening is exactly why I think they should do that.

Jaxson
06-06-2010, 11:55 PM
I just wanted to mention about the statement grandma made about notifying the step brother.... she doesn't say they weren't going to tell him asap...only that it would be hard to tell him, that he would be upset (can't find her exact quote) I don't think anybody knows he HASN"T been told at this point.

CementPond
06-06-2010, 11:57 PM
What if, and yes I realize this idea may seem WAAAAAAY out there, but, since everyone seems to think that LE seems to know something (i.e., reason for sending kids back to the school with no fears, don't want help, etc.)....what if Kryon did leave on his own and hid somewhere?

And, what if during the search LE did find him but he pleaded with them not to take him back home/to school? Perhaps someone at home or at the school had been picking on him/abusing him and he is afraid to go back? Maybe they have him at a secure safe location pumping him for info before they make any further moves? Maybe that's why they seem to know something, don't want any help with the search, etc.?

Maybe just wishful thinking on my part that he's at least alive? So sad.

eyes4crime
06-06-2010, 11:58 PM
I just wanted to mention about the statement grandma made about notifying the step brother.... she doesn't say they weren't going to tell him asap...only that it would be hard to tell him, that he would be upset (can't find her exact quote) I don't think anybody knows he HASN"T been told at this point.

Guess I'm wondering what anyone expects him to do once he finds out - worry is about it! He's away having a good time for the weekend with his dad - honest, I would not take the time to upset him, especially since there are so few answers. moo mho and all that stuff!

Jaxson
06-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Having raised three children who were coincidentally 7 years old at one time....

Did the photo of Kyron's project strike anyone as "odd"? That project was NOT completed by a 7 yr old....the one to the right of his was definitely constructed by a 7 yr old, mostly likely with assistance of an adult, but Kyron's..... (photo in post above)

I see a control issue there myself......which is taking my thinking in a whole different direction.....one that has a much preferred ending to this saga....that Kyron is safe, secure but very frightened....

Definitely assisted by an adult (I have 5 kids and have helped with at least 25 science fair projects) but I don't see it as a control issue. Its neat and tidy but definitely not over done for the age group imo. In the early days my kids had to do everything by hand, nowadays we print it all out on computer.

sleuthy sleutherson
06-07-2010, 12:03 AM
I feel the need to further comment about the statements given by LE in presser. I have no doubt in my mind that they have confirmation if he was or wasn't in one of the groups with a monitor viewing the other exhibits. I have no doubt in my mind they have confirmation that he did or did not have an appointment, this is part of their job to confirm these things. And the very vague he was seen at a later time in the morning by another student only adds to the shadiness of the timeline of his disapperance.

If LE truely want the publics assitance in finding this little boy they should be releasing these very key, important details and they are not, which gives me the feeling they have a pretty good idea about what happened and they are just not ready to say yet until they have evidence to back it up and prove it. :twocents:

darlin gal
06-07-2010, 12:09 AM
Definitely assisted by an adult (I have 5 kids and have helped with at least 25 science fair projects) but I don't see it as a control issue. Its neat and tidy but definitely not over done for the age group imo. In the early days my kids had to do everything by hand, nowadays we print it all out on computer.

I agree. My son was very handy with the computer at 7 (he is 22 now).

He would type up school assignments/projects. He would hunt and peck to type and I would assist him in typesetting/choosing fonts etc... after a couple of times he could pretty much do it on his own.

eyes4crime
06-07-2010, 12:09 AM

One of the links said his dad works at Intel - maybe he is great with the computer and has taught his son more than most 7yo would know. Kyron's science project was great. Sure he had help from adults, and that help may encourage and help develop his curiosity and love of science. I'm a science person and had all kinds of help and encouragement from family as I was growning up. just a thought

STEADFAST
06-07-2010, 12:12 AM
I feel the need to further comment about the statements given by LE in presser. I have no doubt in my mind that they have confirmation if he was or wasn't in one of the groups with a monitor viewing the other exhibits. I have no doubt in my mind they have confirmation that he did or did not have an appointment, this is part of their job to confirm these things. And the very vague he was seen at a later time in the morning by another student only adds to the shadiness of the timeline of his disapperance.

If LE truely want the publics assitance in finding this little boy they should be releasing these very key, important details and they are not, which gives me the feeling they have a pretty good idea about what happened and they are just not ready to say yet until they have evidence to back it up and prove it. :twocents:

I agree. It's frustrating for us to not get the information, but if LE isn't putting it out there, I think it's because they don't see a reason to release it. I also don't think school would be in session tomorrow if there was a serious unknown threat at the school. At least I hope not. I still wouldn't let my child attend until I knew what had happened.

DairyGirl
06-07-2010, 12:14 AM
I said this before, you couldn't pay me enough to send my child to that school tomorrow. My biggest fear is that he is still in that school somewhere. I hope they have searched it with a fine tooth comb.

STEADFAST
06-07-2010, 12:15 AM
One of the links said his dad works at Intel - maybe he is great with the computer and has taught his son more than most 7yo would know. Kyron's science project was great. Sure he had help from adults, and that help may encourage and help develop his curiosity and love of science. I'm a science person and had all kinds of help and encouragement from family as I was growning up. just a thought

You can tell by his face in the picture that he is under the impression that he did it himself. He's too cute. My daughter wore glasses at an early age, too, and cases where missing little kids are wearing glasses hit me hard for some reason. Their little smiling faces with glasses.

human
06-07-2010, 12:16 AM

I agree, that LE knows those details. But the fact that they are saying nothing says nothing to me.

I have seen it in my own city, where LE doesn't have a clue and says nothing. We have seen it on WS with Kayleah and Somer. LE didn't have a clue, yet they withheld info that would have made a huge difference in finding the perp much sooner, IMHO.

human
06-07-2010, 12:18 AM
What if, and yes I realize this idea may seem WAAAAAAY out there, but, since everyone seems to think that LE seems to know something (i.e., reason for sending kids back to the school with no fears, don't want help, etc.)....what if Kryon did leave on his own and hid somewhere?

And, what if during the search LE did find him but he pleaded with them not to take him back home/to school? Perhaps someone at home or at the school had been picking on him/abusing him and he is afraid to go back? Maybe they have him at a secure safe location pumping him for info before they make any further moves? Maybe that's why they seem to know something, don't want any help with the search, etc.?

Maybe just wishful thinking on my part that he's at least alive? So sad.

I don't think they would fly in FBI for that scenario.

MsFacetious
06-07-2010, 12:18 AM
As far as a press conference tonight... I have had the live feed up since 7:30pm Oregon time.... nothing but traffic cameras. I had hoped for maybe a 9pm one, thinking because of the debriefing at 6pm they might be delayed. But I have not seen anything yet. I am not sure what time the local news is there... obviously not 9pm, so I guess 10pm.

There is a new article: http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/news/topstories/story/Investigators-Move-To-Forefront-Of-Missing-Boy/Dz4uMChK60KCWjy3W5FG4Q.cspx

I also agree that it seems as if they are treating this as a case in which they do not need much help for an endangered missing child. It reminds me of a case in which they already knew the outcome and they were just awaiting confirmation... I don't think that they believe there is a threat or abductor out there that took this child, so they are not worried about the other children. I also don't think they believe he wandered away since they have scaled back that search. All of that concerns me. :(

CementPond
06-07-2010, 12:19 AM
True. I forgot about them.

I don't think they would fly in FBI for that scenario.

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed
06-07-2010, 12:21 AM
I think that perhaps it is a good thing that they are having school tomorrow.

For one reason, to disrupt a child's routine can be quite traumatic by itself. And for another, it can give the FBI a chance to observe a somewhat "normal" day at the school. Check and see if any teachers, staff, or even older students are missing or acting oddly.

That being said, I would not blame a parent one bit for keeping their kids home.

human
06-07-2010, 12:22 AM
As far as a press conference tonight... I have had the live feed up since 7:30pm Oregon time.... nothing but traffic cameras. I had hoped for maybe a 9pm one, thinking because of the debriefing at 6pm they might be delayed. But I have not seen anything yet. I am not sure what time the local news is there... obviously not 9pm, so I guess 10pm.

There is a new article: http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/news/topstories/story/Investigators-Move-To-Forefront-Of-Missing-Boy/Dz4uMChK60KCWjy3W5FG4Q.cspx

I also agree that it seems as if they are treating this as a case in which they do not need much help for an endangered missing child. It reminds me of a case in which they already knew the outcome and they were just awaiting confirmation... I don't think that they believe there is a threat or abductor out there that took this child, so they are not worried about the other children. I also don't think they believe he wandered away since they have scaled back that search. All of that concerns me. :(

If you can believe the media from this article. There is no Kyron, but there may not be an abduction? What is this, a balloon boy story?

There has been no Amber Alert issued. Gates said Amber Alerts work because they provide people with information about vehicles or suspects. Late Sunday, Sheriff Staton said they still did not have a vehicle description or any specific suspects, and for the matter, he could not even confirm whether there had even been an abduction.

RubyRed
06-07-2010, 12:24 AM
Was that it for updates for today? Seems too late now...almost 9pm out west...

Was Le's sighting of Kyron later in the AM by a child, I wonder? If so, how sure can they be? And if he was by a door was he waiting for a ride? And where had he been for that hour? So many questions still...why can't they say if he had an appointment? This makes it sound like he did and was waiting to be picked up?

From presser, maybe someone else can post what they understand him saying.

-Was seen at a late hour of morning.

-Got no information from children that he was at school beyond when he was last seen.

butterfly1978
06-07-2010, 12:31 AM
Wow it has literally taken me 3 hours to catch up only to find out that nothing new has been found out. I think it is a tactic to hold school tommorrow, and a very good one, by LE however I as a parent would NOT send my child back to school. But from LE's perspective, they may not have been able to get very far with the interviews today or someone provided them with information that they beleive is crediable and want everyone to go back to school tommorrow and get people talking. Kids feel safer with thier friends, can you imagine being thier age and having to go talk to the police about your missing classmate. They are probably hoping someone talks.
I dont think they are thinking this is a stranger abduction and I think they are fairly confident that the kids are safe. I am begining to think LE beleives this involved bullying or hazing of some sort by a fellow student... Does anyone recall a few months ago, the teenager that killed her sisters play friend by luring her in the woods and she already had the grave dug. LE combed the woods and it wasn't until she took them to the body the girl was found even with dogs. So it is possable for a kid to pull this off.
I just do not think that LE beleives there is a kidnapper on the loose. The Only other thing in my mind that makes since is he wandered off Like Nadia, because if he left with the mom somebody would have seen that, and I doubt she would so confident to call the school claiming he is missing and not know if anyone scene. Same with a stranger abduction or anyone taking him, someone would have seen it.

RubyRed
06-07-2010, 12:31 AM
For anyone that missed it there is a slideshow at this link of Kyron's classroom and science project.

http://www.kptv.com/slideshow/news/23806039/detail.html

sleuthy sleutherson
06-07-2010, 12:32 AM
I agree, that LE knows those details. But the fact that they are saying nothing says nothing to me.

I have seen it in my own city, where LE doesn't have a clue and says nothing. We have seen it on WS with Kayleah and Somer. LE didn't have a clue, yet they withheld info that would have made a huge difference in finding the perp much sooner, IMHO.

I believe that, but drives me crazy. Why wouldn't LE release important details to help them or give the public a since of security, like you don't need to worry about your child, we know what happened here. I still don't doubt though that they may have an idea and are not releasing the details for a specific reason, I see it going either way. When a child is missing it is frustrating and heartbreaking.

I would hope LE would do the right thing and give out as many details as possible but there could always be reason why they don't. IDK, just don't know very much about how they operate and I'm sure it is different in every case and I'm sure they have a lot of hearsay and rumor they cannot confirm but may actually be helpful in the investigation and so they don't release it to the public.

MsFacetious
06-07-2010, 12:33 AM
From presser, maybe someone else can post what they understand him saying.

-Was seen at a late hour of morning.

-Got no information from children that he was at school beyond when he was last seen.

I am guessing that if the information came from a child, it is backed up. Such as "I saw Kyron at the end of the hall as we were walking into class to start class." Or "I saw Kyron when I went to go to the bathroom after we did roll call." Something where the time can be narrowed down pretty close with the teacher's help.

Though, I would still find it odd that he'd be there to a "late hour" in the morning and not go to class. But I think that's probably where the time line information comes from.

butterfly1978
06-07-2010, 12:35 AM

In Kayleah's case I still beleive Le was keeping an eye on the boyfriend from the beginning thinking he would lead them to her. They already knew about the "stalker freak" comment and before they even IDed her they arrested him.
In Sommer's case I beleive they had their eye on that freak to, they already knew about the child porn on his computer but needed to build a case. JMO

cluciano63
06-07-2010, 12:36 AM
I do not think harshness or blame on the school is the point right now; we do not kow for sure that a teacher did not think, even if in error, that stepmother had said he had an appointment of some kind. The fact that LE did not discount this makes me think there is at least something to it. They could easliy have said no, no appointment of any kind. Or maybe Kyron thought he had an appointment and went and waited by door and got into wrong car, for all we know. I just don't have enough info to blame the school. It sounds to me like a small, caring school where people know one another and maybe they made a big mistake but we do not know that yet.

I too feel that LE knows much, much more and that they don't think they will find him easily or quickly, unless they obtain a confession. Perhaps the profiler can help with that end of things, advise LE on how to approch a possible suspect to get them to respond. I also do not believe that FBI would be involved if LE knew where Kyron was and it was a matter of him not wanting to go home.

I so hope I am wrong, but fear they will be doing recovery instead of rescue before long...

freefallzzzz
06-07-2010, 12:38 AM

Fox 12 News has a regularly scheduled 10pm Newscast (PST) tonight, I believe you can watch it online.. I have not seen any updates locally either so
I am going to be watching at 10pm to see if there is anything new..

Cilene
06-07-2010, 12:41 AM
In thread #2, there was discussion of starting a Facebook page for Kyron. There is Facebook page for Kyron "Missing Kyron Horman".

MsFacetious
06-07-2010, 12:42 AM
You can watch the news live online... http://www.kptv.com/video/15359817/index.html

If you can believe the media from this article. There is no Kyron, but there may not be an abduction? What is this, a balloon boy story?

The possibilities that come to mind are:

Nadia Bloom/Zoey Dorsey situation

Ethan Stacy/Caylee Anthony situation

Both of these would eliminate an abduction and any risk to any other child... yet still explain Kyron being gone.

Or an Elizabeth Olten situation... which they may not consider an abduction and may not consider a risk to other children either.

It is very possible that they do think they know who it is... but they want to see if they will lead them to Kyron. They may not want to count on a confession.

butterfly1978
06-07-2010, 12:42 AM
I do not think harshness or blame on the school is the point right now; we do not kow for sure that a teacher did not think, even if in error, that stepmother had said he had an appointment of some kind. The fact that LE did not discount this makes me think there is at least something to it. They could easliy have said no, no appointment of any kind. Or maybe Kyron thought he had an appointment and went and waited by door and got into wrong car, for all we know. I just don't have enough info to blame the school. It sounds to me like a small, caring school where people know one another and maybe they made a big mistake but we do not know that yet.

I too feel that LE knows much, much more and that they don't think they will find him easily or quickly, unless they obtain a confession. Perhaps the profiler can help with that end of things, advise LE on how to approch a possible suspect to get them to respond. I also do not believe that FBI would be involved if LE knew where Kyron was and it was a matter of him not wanting to go home.

I so hope I am wrong, but fear they will be doing recovery instead of rescue before long...

NEVER GIVE UP HOPE!!! LOOK AT NADIA!!!! LE was about to give up on Nadia and she was found many days later and they didnt know if she was abducted, wandered off and her mom with a new born was the last to see her. So Dont give up hope... Miricles happen every day!

human
06-07-2010, 12:43 AM
Guess I'm wondering what anyone expects him to do once he finds out - worry is about it! He's away having a good time for the weekend with his dad - honest, I would not take the time to upset him, especially since there are so few answers. moo mho and all that stuff!

Another poster said it and I agree. What does the step brother know? Anything Kyron might have told him that Kyron wouldn't necessarily tell the parents?

Any insights that boy might have at all?

sleuthy sleutherson
06-07-2010, 12:45 AM
I am really not liking the statement we just can't confirm this was an abduction and they haven't ruled out any POI, what is going on here? It's been 2.5 days, where is this little boy? I feel for him and hope he is returned safely. I don't disagree with letting the kids go back to school tomorrow as long as it has been searched from top to bottom, inside and out and they are sure there is no evidence left behind that could be destroyed. I must go to bed and stop, I just feel too many things are not being said and there is a little boy missing and it bothers me. Bring Kyron home, that is all that matters, poor little guy, I pray he is unharmed.

raeann
06-07-2010, 12:46 AM
I think we might be making errors by assuming that we know everything about the step mother's account of the morning. There may very well be any number of parents who spoke to her in the parking lot as she was leaving the school ALONE. There may be a group who went to Starbucks together for all we know (the moms at my kid's schools do that all the time after such events...coffee, lunch depending on the time of day). She may have gone straight to a friend's house, or to a hair appointment, or to get her nails done....any number of things that the media does not know about or report.

FWIW....one of the comments on her Facebook page tells a friend not to do a media contact until she checks with "the detective" first to get approval. To me that shows that LE has someone guiding every move that the family is making.

jmoo

kbl8201
06-07-2010, 12:49 AM
Off topic: Blackhawks won another - one more and the cup comes to Chicago. Chicago is rocking tonight! Now - back to this sweet missing child, Kyron!

being a bruins fan i would be remiss to mention the flyers arent dead yet :)

Cilene
06-07-2010, 12:49 AM

Kyron's SM commented on FB, that she helped him, mostly with the laminating and verbal instructions. Looks like they had a lot of fun creating it. She notes that the "water" is FLARP - a noisy silly putty. I have never heard of FLARP before but it sounds interesting.

Pensfan
06-07-2010, 12:50 AM
I am shocked to see that people can just walk in and out of an elementary school. In my city in the public and private schools, all doors are locked and every single visitor is "vetted" by videocam and speaker before they are let inside (even on science and book fair days). Parents must call by 7:40 if your child will not be attending that day or the school calls you. If your child doesn't attend class and isn't on the master list of absentees, parents are immediately called. Kids can't skip school because they can't get out of the school without the office videotaping them. All the schools also have outside videocams just in case kids are smoking weed or whatever outside.

Can't do anything but pray in this case.

Jaxson
06-07-2010, 12:53 AM
I think that perhaps it is a good thing that they are having school tomorrow.

For one reason, to disrupt a child's routine can be quite traumatic by itself. And for another, it can give the FBI a chance to observe a somewhat "normal" day at the school. Check and see if any teachers, staff, or even older students are missing or acting oddly.

That being said, I would not blame a parent one bit for keeping their kids home.

ITA and kids are not stupid and if they don't continue a 'normal' routine and go about business as usual that will stress them out even more. They will naturally wonder why they are not going to school, especially just before summer break when they all are exited to be getting out and taking vacations and waterparks, etc. Counselors will know how to answer their questions. These kids do not need to feel unsafe in their day to day environment. Our neighbors house burned when my sister was in 1st grade and her best friend died. My parents couldn't be out of her sight until she was well into her teens and she still talks about the trauma. She was so scared it would happen to our family. These kids do not need to feel their parents (completely warranted, mind you) fear.

MsFacetious
06-07-2010, 12:55 AM
I absolutely think we don't know the whole story... that's what bothers me. I think the FACTS may help find this child. I see no reason not to clarify those facts unless it would make no difference to recovering this child.

Also, that friend was simply going to put the missing child flier in a news publication. Just the flier. I cannot imagine any situation in which a detective would have to be consulted for that. Do they have to ask before they hand out every single flier, or put up every single one?? I can see asking before interviews... but just printing the flier itself... technically, anyone can do that. :waitasec:

I think we might be making errors by assuming that we know everything about the step mother's account of the morning.

FWIW....one of the comments on her Facebook page tells a friend not to do a media contact until she checks with "the detective" first to get approval. To me that shows that LE has someone guiding every move that the family is making.

jmoo

freefallzzzz
06-07-2010, 12:56 AM
One of the fox 12 news anchors twitter (along with other stations news anchors here) just tweeted that Multnomah County Sheriff's says Kyron Horman case is being considered a missing endangered child.

http://twitter.com/AndrewPadula

human

From this article

The second-grader and his step-mom were at the school early Friday. She took him around the school to look at the various science fair projects. That step-mom says that at about 8:45 a.m. she left and saw Kyron apparently walking toward his classroom. Specifically, Multnomah County Sheriff Dan Staton says he was last seen at the school's south entrance.

So he left his second floor classroom for what reason??????

Jaxson

Yep and if he (Kyron) were found before brother comes home, brother doesn't have to experience the worst of it! Although it is not looking like that will happen.

MsFacetious
06-07-2010, 12:57 AM
There are car accidents all over Portland right now... isn't it just rainy??? :waitasec:

News starting in a few minutes...

darlin gal
06-07-2010, 12:57 AM
A new tweet says that LE isn't prepared to call it a kidnapping and that Kyron is an "endangered missing child".

He more or less said this at the news conference today. IMO

http://twitter.com/KATUMeghan

darlin gal
06-07-2010, 01:00 AM
Multnomah County sheriff Dan Staton said Kyron was last seen by a fellow student near his classroom by the south entrance of the school in the late morning hours of Friday.Kyron and his stepmother, Terri Moulton Horman, attended a school science fair that morning and she watched him walk to his classroom at about 8:45 a.m, deputies said.
http://www.kptv.com/news/23811673/detail.html

MsFacetious
06-07-2010, 01:00 AM
"Just in" from where? Did they release a statement? Mini press conference?? What?

STEADFAST
06-07-2010, 01:01 AM
One of the fox 12 news anchors twitter (along with other stations news anchors here) just tweeted that Multnomah County Sheriff's says Kyron Horman case is being considered a missing endangered child.

http://twitter.com/AndrewPadula

What does that mean? I've seen that designation before but I don't understand the difference between it and just plain "missing." Is it less ominous than "kidnapped"?

MsFacetious
06-07-2010, 01:04 AM
Next press conference Monday at Noon.

raeann
06-07-2010, 01:05 AM
From this article

The second-grader and his step-mom were at the school early Friday. She took him around the school to look at the various science fair projects. That step-mom says that at about 8:45 a.m. she left and saw Kyron apparently walking toward his classroom. Specifically, Multnomah County Sheriff Dan Staton says he was last seen at the school's south entrance.

So he left his second floor classroom for what reason??????

That is just more information that has not been shared....was the library open for kids before school to read or check out books, or the gym for games, or the computer room, or were there cookies and punch being served in the cafeteria for the guests at the event, were there kids outside on the playground waiting for the bell to ring.....any of these things could be the normal types of activities going on during various events at my kids schools.

jmoo

KaylynnCouture
Next press conference Monday at Noon.

Kudos to LE for keeping the public updated.

MsFacetious
The news just said that Terri's facebook page "mentions a family pet that is also missing young Kyron." LOL Apparently they also think that cats can get hugs and read books on his bed! Oh my... (his little sister's nickname is Kitty..)

human
06-07-2010, 01:07 AM
Multnomah County sheriff Dan Staton said Kyron was last seen by a fellow student near his classroom by the south entrance of the school in the late morning hours of Friday.Kyron and his stepmother, Terri Moulton Horman, attended a school science fair that morning and she watched him walk to his classroom at about 8:45 a.m, deputies said.
http://www.kptv.com/news/23811673/detail.html

Is his classroom on the second floor or isn't it?

Later in the morning-does that seem like 8:45?

How old could the reporting student be? Although I have to say that children notice a lot. And as one poster said, the child's reprot could be confirmed by a corresponding event. The child was out of the room for a reason, such as the bathroom

But once again, if it was later in the morning and he was by his classroom, what was he up to?

freefallzzzz
"Just in" from where? Did they release a statement? Mini press conference?? What?

That is just what they say on this news channel, "just in" when they want you to know there is new or updated news.

I hear them say it so much I guess I'm used to it =)

darlin gal
What does that mean? I've seen that designation before but I don't understand the difference between it and just plain "missing." Is it less ominous than "kidnapped"?

Endangered Missing

A minor (under the age of 18) missing who does not qualify as an Endangered Runaway, a Family Abduction, or a Non-Family Abduction, OR an adult (age 18 or over) who has a medical condition, and/or who is missing under circumstances that indicate that he or she may be in danger.

http://www.charleyproject.org/terms.html

butterfly1978
06-07-2010, 01:09 AM
abduction means they know someone took him.

missing endangered means that he is not where he should be they dont know where he is at or who may be involved, but because of the mystery surrounding him not being where he should he is endangered, unable to care for him self.

Missing means that they just dont know where the person is but there is nothing that points to anything foul, usually in adults they just use missing.

darlin gal
06-07-2010, 01:09 AM

How old could the reporting student be? Although I have to say that children notice a lot. And as one poster said, the child's reprot could be confirmed by a corresponding event. The child was out of the room for a reason, such as the bathroom

But once again, if it was later in the morning and he was by his classroom, what was he up to?

I have never seen that his classroom was on the second floor.

STEADFAST
06-07-2010, 01:10 AM
I have never seen that his classroom was on the second floor.

There's a link to a news story with that information earlier in the thread.

ETA Here's the link and quote:
Gates would not comment on statements by a family member and others that Kyron's backpack and coat were found in his second-floor classroom.

Publicly sharing that kind of detail taints an investigation, Gates said, declining to answer other specific questions. http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...rtland_bo.html (http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/search_for_missing_portland_bo.html)

Pensfan
06-07-2010, 01:12 AM
I see that search and rescue teams were helping to look for Kyron, but I don't see any tracking dogs in the photos. I hope they will bring in the dogs if they haven't done this activity. A neighbor's child ran away and everyone looked for 4 hours. Finally a tracking dog was brought in and the dog found the missing child within 5 minutes. She was hiding in the foot area of another neighbor's van. She was under two floor mats.

darlin gal
06-07-2010, 01:14 AM
Still no trace of Kyron Horman as police, FBI conclude third day of search

The investigation into the disappearance of Kyron Horman, the bespectacled 7-year-old last seen inside Skyline School on Friday morning, stretches into a fourth day today with the boy's whereabouts still a mystery.

Sunday, as Kyron's family ordered fliers carrying the boy's description and smiling face, authorities continued investigating his disappearance, calling in more than 65 detectives from various police agencies and nearly 60 trained searchers.

"Our basic mission is to bring Kyron home," said Lt. Mary Lindstrand, a spokeswoman for the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office.

Late Sunday, Multnomah County Sheriff Daniel Staton issued a status report and raised the case level to increase public interest and focus. He said additional searches and interviews are planned, but he declined to discuss strategy or specifics of the investigation.

“Given the passage of time and the weather, we are characterizing this case as a missing endangered child,” he said.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/still_no_trace_of_kyron_horman.html

darlin gal
06-07-2010, 01:15 AM
During police interviews Sunday, a student said he last saw Kyron later that morning near the south entrance to the school. That was the last time the boy was seen, Staton said.

At some point that morning, Kyron's teacher, Kristina Porter, marked the boy as absent. But it wasn't until 3:30 p.m. -- when his stepmother, Terri Moulton Horman, met the school bus -- that she discovered Kyron had been absent from school.

Nora Schreiber, a Skyline parent and volunteer, said the school has three main entrances and one secure exit. Two of the doorways are near the main office and are monitored, while a third on the north side of the school is not. Kyron's classroom is adjacent to that door, which opens onto a rear parking lot.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/still_no_trace_of_kyron_horman.html

tarabull
06-07-2010, 01:16 AM
Seems dog were brought in:

Portland police initially responded to the missing-person call, using search dogs throughout the school and also searching on the school roof, said Multnomah County sheriff's Capt. Jason Gates, the incident commander. The search was turned over later Friday to the sheriff's office, as the school is not within the city limits.

However, by Saturday, a vast range of police agencies and a National Guard helicopter took part in a search that went house to house, field by field spanning a two-mile radius around the school at 11536 N.W. Skyline Blvd.

Also from the same report:

Gates would not comment on statements by a family member and others that Kyron's backpack and coat were found in his second-floor classroom.

Publicly sharing that kind of detail taints an investigation, Gates said, declining to answer other specific questions.

Story found at this link (http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/search_for_missing_portland_bo.html)

MsFacetious
06-07-2010, 01:18 AM
Kudos to LE for keeping the public updated.

I agree... but they have reduced and become much further apart... this one tomorrow being 20 hours from the last press conference this afternoon. Hopefully, that means they will have answers after all the interviews they did today. Hopefully, that answer will be healthy Kyron.

eyes4crime
06-07-2010, 01:20 AM

Seems like mom was walking Kyron to his classroom around 8:45am, waved goodby and left - that must have been on the 2nd floor,. Around 10-11am, he was seen by a fellow student at the south entrance of the building. (1st floor?). moo

human
06-07-2010, 01:21 AM
I hope people are right and LE does have an idea and they are waiting for someone to show them where Kyron is.

It seems according to reports that no one saw him after 8:45 until a child saw him by the classroom later in the AM.

If this is true, Kyron managed to escape any detection of his whereabouts for at least over and hour or more.

I guess you can never predict what kids will do, taking Nadia as an example.

If the report of the classmate is true, i just wonder what Kyron was up to.

butterfly1978
06-07-2010, 01:23 AM
I hope they did more than just use dogs inside the school. We have seen many times the dogs fail to locate or give false readings, look an Annie Le, and the little girl that was killed by the teen, and also the false hits in Haleigh cummings. I hope they physically checked every inch of that school. I just have a feeliong he is in the school.

tarabull
06-07-2010, 01:23 AM
During police interviews Sunday, a student said he last saw Kyron later that morning near the south entrance to the school. That was the last time the boy was seen, Staton said.

At some point that morning, Kyron's teacher, Kristina Porter, marked the boy as absent. But it wasn't until 3:30 p.m. -- when his stepmother, Terri Moulton Horman, met the school bus -- that she discovered Kyron had been absent from school.

Nora Schreiber, a Skyline parent and volunteer, said the school has three main entrances and one secure exit. Two of the doorways are near the main office and are monitored, while a third on the north side of the school is not. Kyron's classroom is adjacent to that door, which opens onto a rear parking lot.

so is she speaking of a door on the 2nd floor??

sounds a bit contradictory to the other report :waitasec:

does he have more than one classroom?

Money Girl
06-07-2010, 01:24 AM
IMO, a child predator was in the school open house for the science fair activities.

Kyron and the families are in my prayers.

butterfly1978
06-07-2010, 01:25 AM
I hope people are right and LE does have an idea and they are waiting for someone to show them where Kyron is.

It seems according to reports that no one saw him after 8:45 until a child saw him by the classroom later in the AM.

If this is true, Kyron managed to escape any detection of his whereabouts for at least over and hour or more.

He was so proud of his project, I wonder if he snuck out of the school to try and find a real frog to go with his project, and he got lost

winterrose
06-07-2010, 01:25 AM
Am I losing it or wasn't there like a bajillion more pages than 4 earlier?

winterrose
06-07-2010, 01:27 AM
Never mind,I just saw this is the 2nd thread.LOL

KaylynnCouture
I'm I losing it or wasn't there like a bajillion more pages than 4 earlier?

This is a new thread.

butterfly1978
A new thread was opened, I think this is thread 3 or 4.

raeann
06-07-2010, 01:28 AM
I'm I losing it or wasn't there like a bajillion more pages than 4 earlier?

Lol....new thread again.....and can someone find the link for me to the pictures of the classroom again.....I think we can tell from them whether the room is on the second floor or not perhaps.

TIA

winterrose
06-07-2010, 01:29 AM
Thank you,I at first couldn't find the other one and wondered if he had been found.It's not looking good with so much time passing,does it? :(

human
06-07-2010, 01:29 AM

This report says that Kyron's room was next to the parking lot which is the north side. Other reports say he was seen by his room which is the south side.

This is disturbing whether it is north or south, being by an unsecured exit.

Is his classroom on the second floor or not? If someone was on a staircase by the classroom, they could have asked Kyron to help with something.

But what about the missing time? Where was he?

RubyRed
06-07-2010, 01:31 AM
Two of the doorways are near the main office and are monitored, while a third on the north side of the school is not. Kyron's classroom is adjacent to that door, which opens onto a rear parking lot.

He was last seen at a south entrance, so he wasn't near his classroom then?

~greeneyedgirl~
06-07-2010, 01:32 AM

There are so many different stories, but at the same time is really is just additions to what we already know but some of the gaps are finally being filled in. Does that make any sense to anyone?

I don't think his classroom was on the 2nd floor of the school, she says door not stairwell.

darlin gal
06-07-2010, 01:32 AM
KATU's reporter Meghan said she has spoken to Kyron's bio-mom and that she would like to talk but can't because she doesn't want to hamper the investigation.

That tells me that LE has asked the parents to keep away from the media. JMO

RubyRed
06-07-2010, 01:34 AM
Lol....new thread again.....and can someone find the link for me to the pictures of the classroom again.....I think we can tell from them whether the room is on the second floor or not perhaps.

TIA

http://www.kptv.com/slideshow/news/23806039/detail.html

raeann
06-07-2010, 01:35 AM
I found the pix in one of the news links, there are some where it appears to be a rooftop outside of the classroom windows, but I can not really tell for sure.

winterrose
06-07-2010, 01:36 AM
Schreiber said she and her son, Jacob, 9, were interviewed Sunday by a federal agent. She said she told the agent that Friday was an especially hectic day at Skyline.

"On a normal day, seeing a stranger will make you go, 'Hmm. I wonder who that is?' On such a hectic day as Friday, there was such a lot going on. To tell you the truth, I was focused on looking at the (science) project and helping Jacob fill out his (evaluation) form and not on the faces around me."

Schreiber said Kyron was supposed to perform in the school's talent show at 1 p.m. but she didn't see him there.

This is what is so bothersome,so many parents,people not all knowing one another,a stranger could have come in the unsecured door and had parked in that back parking lot.So he wasn't seen at 1pm when he was supposed to perform in the school talent show.

human
06-07-2010, 01:36 AM

There are so many different stories, but at the same time is really is just additions to what we already know but some of the gaps are finally being filled in. Does that make any sense to anyone?

I don't think his classroom was on the 2nd floor of the school, she says door not stairwell.

there are the reports and I can't find them now, but it says that the student saw him by the south entrance by Kyron's classroom. Then tarabull quotes the article that says his classroom is on the second floor. Then we have this report that there is an unsecured exit next to his classroom which is on the north side.

Too confusing to me.

Pensfan
06-07-2010, 01:39 AM
Read what one parent wrote in the comments section on this abc site.

“my daughter goes to this school the worth (sic-worst) safety wise i ever seen. restrooms located at the end of the building by the huge park where anybody can be..scary!! i told my child not to go to the restrooms during the lessons and by herself."
http://abcnews.go.com/US/Media/kyron-horman-missing-disappeared-elementary-school/comments?type=story&id=10836677

This looks like a photo of Kyron and his science project inside the school.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/Media/kyron-horman-missing-disappeared-elementary-school/story?id=10836677

human
06-07-2010, 01:42 AM
Schreiber said she and her son, Jacob, 9, were interviewed Sunday by a federal agent. She said she told the agent that Friday was an especially hectic day at Skyline.

"On a normal day, seeing a stranger will make you go, 'Hmm. I wonder who that is?' On such a hectic day as Friday, there was such a lot going on. To tell you the truth, I was focused on looking at the (science) project and helping Jacob fill out his (evaluation) form and not on the faces around me."

Schreiber said Kyron was supposed to perform in the school's talent show at 1 p.m. but she didn't see him there.

This is what is so bothersome,so many parents,people not all knowing one another,a stranger could have come in the unsecured door and had parked in that back parking lot.So he wasn't seen at 1pm when he was supposed to perform in the school talent show.

It seems that we have another confirmation that he was supposed to be in the talent show, but no family member was going to go to it?

Just commenting on the strangeness of it. I would think that a talent show would be more exciting than looking at a science project that the family had already seen.

And if he was so shy, it would be fun to see him perform in a talent show.

But if it was a "stranger", that "stranger" would have to know the school pretty darn well to know about the unsecured door.

I put quotes around "stranger" because i don't think it was some random perp off of the street. I would guess that it was someone more familiar with the school.

tarabull
06-07-2010, 01:42 AM
This link was posted earlier:

Details emerge about the day Kyron Horman turned up missing (http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/details_emerge_about_the_day_k.html)

Interesting comments by RandomDood
June 6, 2010 9:16 am

darlin gal
06-07-2010, 01:44 AM
MULTNOMAH COUNTY SHERIFF DANIEL STATON WRITTEN STATEMENT/ UPDATE ON MISSING KYRON CASE
Posted: June 6th, 2010 9:33 PM
As promised, I am making another statement this evening; the investigative team has briefed me on the status of the operation and investigative steps as we continue to press forward. We have interviewed close to 200 children and want to thank the children and their families for coming in to help us as we try to bring Kyron home. Based on everything I know, we will continue to run this operation as a missing child investigation. Given the passage of time and the weather, we are characterizing this case as a missing endangered child. By escalating this to a missing endangered child case, we hope to heighten the focus and maintain public interest.I want to reiterate the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office commitment to this effort and want to thank media outlets, all of the allied agencies which have joined in the effort and the public for your extremely valuable support.We have developed a lot of information which has to be processed thoroughly, and I am not in a position to divulge any specifics of our investigative plan at this time. I will share with you that search efforts will continue and that secondary searches of some areas will be undertaken.We will also be continuing to interview students and anyone who has or believes they have information related to the case.

Thank you, Sheriff Daniel Staton
Contact Info: Lt. Mary Lindstrand
Public Information Officer
Multnomah County Sheriff's Office
http://www.kptv.com/newslinks/23813694/detail.html

winterrose
06-07-2010, 01:46 AM
It seems that we have another confirmation that he was supposed to be in the talent show, but no family member was going to go to it?

Just commenting on the strangeness of it. I would think that a talent show would be more exciting than looking at a science project that the family had already seen.

But if it was a "stranger", that "stranger" would have to know the school pretty darn well to know about the unsecured door.

I put quotes around "stranger" because i don't think it was some random perp off of the street. I would guess that it was someone more familiar with the school.

Oh Wow,I didn't even think about that,his mother was on facebook and not going to the talent show?

tarabull
06-07-2010, 01:47 AM
Hiya Human,

Do you recall where you read the report that TH said Kyron had an appointment???

TIA
:)

darlin gal
06-07-2010, 01:49 AM
Hiya Human,

Do you recall where you read the report that TH said Kyron had an appointment???

TIA

It was a comment to a newspaper/tv article, made my an anonymous poster.
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - OR OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010

MsFacetious
06-07-2010, 01:51 AM
Okay, I know it was discussed by locals earlier that they should... but does anyone know if they have actually searched Forest or Linnton Parks yet?

If they have cleared the 2 or 3 mile radius around the school they may have... if they didn't, they came really close.

They actually may have searched Linnton park because it appears at least part of it is less than 2 miles east of the school if you are flying above.

Forrest still appears to be a bit more than 3 miles south east of the school when flying.

I would think with the "infared system, heat detection and a search pattern grid to not miss an inch" that searching those two large areas would have been feasible. Even just flying over with the infared and heat detection would have been a good idea.

Major waterways appear to be 3.5 miles or further away from the school, again east of the school. Though there is no way he walked to those by himself. But, they are there and close. Does anyone know if they have started to search those?? Those are usually pretty standard in a missing child case as well.

I wonder if any of these are some of the new areas they intend to search... if they have not already.

nomoresorrow
06-07-2010, 01:51 AM
(BBM)

KATU's reporter Meghan said she has spoken to Kyron's bio-mom and that she would like to talk but can't because she doesn't want to hamper the investigation.

That tells me that LE has asked the parents to keep away from the media. JMO

If true... after seeing too many of these cases now, I really think that keeping the parents/family out of media, at least initially, may be for the best. I can see how it can, and often does, add a whole other element for LE to have to contend with when the initial primary focus should be completely investigation centered. We, the public, are oftentimes anxious to see and hear from the family in order to assess/or get a feel for them so that we can determine for ourselves whether we think they're involved or not but I think that LE may be able to make that determination much easier and more quickly without the public's opinion added to the mix. JMHO ~

RubyRed
06-07-2010, 01:52 AM
there are the reports and I can't find them now, but it says that the student saw him by the south entrance by Kyron's classroom. Then tarabull quotes the article that says his classroom is on the second floor. Then we have this report that there is an unsecured exit next to his classroom which is on the north side.

Too confusing to me.

From the presser:

I didn't see or hear it was a student that saw him, I'll have to listen to presser again.

winterrose
06-07-2010, 01:54 AM
Has it stated anywhere that the science fair was for the older kids also,up to 8th grade.I'm wondering if the older ones were wandering in the halls during that time or maybe out in the parking lot just getting to school.

human
06-07-2010, 01:55 AM
Hiya Human,

TIA

Hiya Tara to you. No, I do not recall where the appointment thing was except in that Drood report. Then someone referred to a question asked of LE about the appointment , and LE refused to comment on it.

That's all I know.

But, does it make sense that SM would do something to the child after saying that he has an appt ? Then he turns up missing and she calls the school to ask where he is? Now that makes no sense at all.

But no family member going to the talent show makes no sense at all either.

None of it makes any sense from the school not wondering where he was, to the north, the south, the second floor,maybe more. IDK

annalyzer
06-07-2010, 01:59 AM
Okay, I know it was discussed by locals earlier that they should... but does anyone know if they have actually searched Forest or Linnton Parks yet?

If they have cleared the 2 or 3 mile radius around the school they may have... if they didn't, they came really close.

They actually may have searched Linnton park because it appears at least part of it is less than 2 miles east of the school if you are flying above.

Forrest still appears to be a bit more than 3 miles south east of the school when flying.

I would think with the "infared system, heat detection and a search pattern grid to not miss an inch" that searching those two large areas would have been feasible. Even just flying over with the infared and heat detection would have been a good idea.

Major waterways appear to be 3.5 miles or further away from the school, again east of the school. Though there is no way he walked to those by himself. But, they are there and close. Does anyone know if they have started to search those?? Those are usually pretty standard in a missing child case as well.

I wonder if any of these are some of the new areas they intend to search... if they have not already.

But if he is just lost in the woods somewhere how would the parents talking to the media hamper the investigation?

freefallzzzz
06-07-2010, 01:59 AM

If you look at the link below it shows searchers loading a raft into what I believe is some kind of water retention/farm pond.. Also there is a creek in the trees back behind the school, along with a railroad tunnel close by.

http://www.childseeknetwork.com/hormansearch.htm

I did hear them talking on the local scanner about doing a water search yesterday somewhere in the area, but the other areas I could not verify because they have asked the public not to be in the search areas.

Ever since they started reporting this early Friday evening, the information has been varied depending on who is reporting..

human
06-07-2010, 02:00 AM
Has it stated anywhere that the science fair was for the older kids also,up to 8th grade.I'm wondering if the older ones were wandering in the halls during that time or maybe out in the parking lot just getting to school.

The school goes up to 8th grade and they don't drive, but maybe a teen was dropping off a sib on the way to school. Maybe even a friend of the step brother?? Hm. I just thought of that.

We just happened to have ( where I live and it's considered safe), 2 brutal crimes committed by a 14 year old , 2 16 year olds and an 18 year old.

So teens are in the mix as far as I am concerned.

pinkpuddytat
06-07-2010, 02:00 AM

I would certainly expect that LE would have wanted to interview him *very* quickly after Kyron's disappearance. This is a stepbrother of the missing child, who lives in the same area, and has presumably spent a fair amount of time with Kyron. Little boys say things to their big brothers/stepbrothers -- sometimes things they don't say to adults. LE should have been urgently interviewing *all* family members to try to find out if Kyron had said or done *anything* recently that might provide a clue as to what has happened to him. Casually waiting for the stepbrother's Boy Scout camping trip to be over, before interviewing him, strikes me as so bizarre that I have trouble believing it. But if they have already interviewed him, even if only by phone, and the grandmother he lives with imagines that they haven't and that he'll just be finding out Kyron's missing when he gets home from the camping trip, that sets off some major alarm bells for me.

raeann
06-07-2010, 02:02 AM
The step brother didn't live there, he was reported to live with grandparents and attend school several hours away as I recall, so probably did not have friends there at that school district.

jmoo

mkay882
06-07-2010, 02:05 AM

That made me wonder if Kyron might be trying to join/find his step brother on the camping trip.

human
The step brother didn't live there, he was reported to live with grandparents and attend school several hours away as I recall, so probably did not have friends there at that school district.

jmoo

There is at least one pic of stepbrother with the family. I imagine there must be some contact.

MsFacetious
From the presser:

I didn't see or hear it was a student that saw him, I'll have to listen to presser again.

I believe a reporter asked him where that information came from and he stated it came from a student. I know he said that about something... I'm pretty sure it was the time.

butterfly1978
06-07-2010, 02:07 AM
SM has a 18 month old to, at my kids school you are not allowed to bring siblings to the school for events or on feild trips. She may not have had a baby sitter for the talent show.

One thing that has me really scratching my head here is that everyone is being so nonchalant there seems to be no real since of urgency. No one is screaming WHERE IS THIS BABY!!!, no one is panicky, LE seems to be going through the motions or the (appearance) of searching but nothing full scale like hey there is a 7 year old missing!! No one is questioning whether there own children are at risk. This is just crazy, Its like I'm expecting someone to jump out and say APRIL FOOLS!
Where is the urgency? I have NEVER seen this before and I have been involved in missing persons cases for several years.

pufnstuf
06-07-2010, 02:07 AM

BBM

That is a HUGE red flag.

pufnstuf
06-07-2010, 02:08 AM

Indeed.

In the past, when he was in a play, the school asked a family member if they could use all the photos she made of the play, for the school annual.

MsFacetious
06-07-2010, 02:09 AM
That made me wonder if Kyron might be trying to join/find his step brother on the camping trip.

Nadia's sister was the one who told police about the book she was reading. About how she would be thinking and what she would be doing. Had her sister not been interviewed for several days, Nadia likely wouldn't have been found.

Elizabeth Smart's sister is the one who made the sketch that finally brought her home.

If they have NOT interviewed the step brother then that is absolutely a huge mistake.

No More
06-07-2010, 02:10 AM
Oh Wow,I didn't even think about that,his mother was on facebook and not going to the talent show?

She was playing Treasure Island on FB at 8:01 AM and 1:21 PM on Friday. Seems to be an obsession. IDK about others but I'd rather be at my kid's talent show.

Does anyone know if this game on FB can be played on a mobile phone? TIA

annalyzer
06-07-2010, 02:11 AM
SM has a 18 month old to, at my kids school you are not allowed to bring siblings to the school for events or on feild trips. She may not have had a baby sitter for the talent show.

One thing that has me really scratching my head here is that everyone is being so nonchalant there seems to be no real since of urgency. No one is screaming WHERE IS THIS BABY!!!, no one is panicky, LE seems to be going through the motions or the (appearance) of searching but nothing full scale like hey there is a 7 year old missing!! No one is questioning whether there own children are at risk. This is just crazy, Its like I'm expecting someone to jump out and say APRIL FOOLS!
Where is the urgency? I have NEVER seen this before and I have been involved in missing persons cases for several years.
I know. I don't know what to think about this case. I'm so worried about that little boy. Things just aren't making any sense to me.

RubyRed
06-07-2010, 02:11 AM
Still no trace of Kyron Horman as police, FBI conclude third day of search

http://media.oregonlive.com/oregonian/photo/-b0620ce306c557a3_large.jpg

Mike Allen of the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office search and rescue team looks over a private property Sunday in the Cornelius Pass area northwest of Portland as part of the search for Kyron Horman, 7, a second-grader at Skyline School.

pufnstuf
06-07-2010, 02:14 AM

snip

There are photos in TMH's facebook showing the child at other school events.

winterrose
This is odd,if it's not been mentioned from her FB.

Terri Moulton Horman
Friday at 8:46am

So she was on her FB at 8:46 am,but said she sent him to his class at 8:45.And that evening on FB after calling 911 she was playing on FB and posting pics?
Friday at 5:34pm via Treasure Isle
9 new photos
Friday at 4:21pm · View Feedback (5)Hide Feedback (5) · Share

butterfly1978
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can hardly see grown men in those weeds, how can they find a 7 year old?

Pensfan
This link was posted earlier:

Details emerge about the day Kyron Horman turned up missing (http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/details_emerge_about_the_day_k.html)

Interesting comments by RandomDood
June 6, 2010 9:16 am
More interesting posts on page 2 of the comments.

butterfly1978
06-07-2010, 02:15 AM
There are photos in TMH's facebook showing the child at other school events.

Oh okay, here in Alabama its not allowed.

KaylynnCouture
She was playing Treasure Island on FB at 8:01 AM and 1:21 PM on Friday. Seems to be an obsession. IDK about others but I'd rather be at my kid's talent show.

It depends what kind of phone she has. SmartPhones (such as Androids, Blackberries, etc) have capabilities to play certain games on Facebook via mobile phones (not sure if Treasure Isle is one of them though) but she'd have to have an upgraded data plan and everything in order to do that (aka- she'd need to REALLY love gaming because those data plans start at like $15 extra per month)

pinkpuddytat

That doesn't necessarily seem odd to me. This is probably a talent show that all the kids are herded into participating in, whether they're interested in showing off any performing "talents" or not. Kyron seems like more of a geeky kid, and it's been mentioned that he's sort of timid, so quite likely not terribly keen on getting up on stage and performing anything. I wouldn't be surprised if his only involvement was supposed to be singing a song or two with a large group of young children, that was sort of the dumping ground for the kids who weren't really into performing anything.

I remember when I was in third grade, I was herded into the large group of "lost boys" in the school play "Peter Pan", and I'm female. It was the catchall for all the shy or scared or dorky little kids who obviously weren't up to actually learning lines and saying them audibly in front of an audience. I couldn't have cared less if my parents had come to watch or not. Since I wasn't going to be Tinkerbell, I didn't want to be in the play at all, but I wasn't given that option.

I expect the high point of Kyron's day was the science fair, and his stepmother came for that. For all we know, he'd told her he didn't want her to come to the "stupid talent show".

winterrose
06-07-2010, 02:16 AM

Oh,I'm sorry,I was reading on her fb and didn't see you had already mentioned this,just really wierd.

DairyGirl
06-07-2010, 02:17 AM
LE was at a distinct disadvantage when they didn't even know the child was missing for nearly 9 hours. They have nothing to go on. A stranger seems unlikely but so does any other scenerio at this point. My gut is saying it is another student that he would have gone with willingly. I still think he could be in the school, which is one of the reasons I don't think they should have school until he is found. I don't even know what more could be done at this point. I just want him to come home safely.

butterfly1978
06-07-2010, 02:18 AM
You can't go by the apps post for the games. My husband and I got in a huge fight after I saw that he was playing on facebook while at work, he told me he was not, I finally confirmed that it randomly posts when it said he was online playing farmville while he was sleeping, and I knew he was sleeping. So those posts from games are random you can not go by those dates or times.

winterrose
06-07-2010, 02:19 AM
If you add a pic by mobile it says facebook mobile.

DairyGirl
06-07-2010, 02:20 AM

Terri Moulton Horman

So she was on her FB at 8:46 am,but said she sent him to his class at 8:45.And that evening on FB after calling 911 she was playing on FB and posting pics?
9 new photos

I think you are in a different time zone then her. The photos were posted at 1:21 pm pacific time.

RubyRed
Sunday, as Kyron's family ordered fliers carrying the boy's description and smiling face, authorities continued investigating his disappearance, calling in more than 65 detectives from various police agencies and nearly 60 trained searchers.

GingerRed

Terri Moulton Horman

9 new photos

What time zone are you in? I viewed her page on the west coast and it said it was in the 7 am hour. The time stamp may be adjusted for your time zone. If this is true, she was doing something on Facebook an hour before she last saw him. I guess she was able to get to the science fair, walk around a bit and drop him off within that hour.

ETA: She posted photos at 12:51pm Friday local time, and her last gaming was at 2:04pm local time.

gwenabob
06-07-2010, 02:21 AM
That doesn't necessarily seem odd to me. This is probably a talent show that all the kids are herded into participating in, whether they're interested in showing off any performing "talents" or not. Kyron seems like more of a geeky kid, and it's been mentioned that he's sort of timid, so quite likely not terribly keen on getting up on stage and performing anything. I wouldn't be surprised if his only involvement was supposed to be singing a song or two with a large group of young children, that was sort of the dumping ground for the kids who weren't really into performing anything.

I remember when I was in third grade, I was herded into the large group of "lost boys" in the school play "Peter Pan", and I'm female. It was the catchall for all the shy or scared or dorky little kids who obviously weren't up to actually learning lines and saying them audibly in front of an audience. I couldn't have cared less if my parents had come to watch or not. Since I wasn't going to be Tinkerbell, I didn't want to be in the play at all, but I wasn't given that option.

I expect the high point of Kyron's day was the science fair, and his stepmother came for that. For all we know, he'd told her he didn't want her to come to the "stupid talent show".

Quite likely it was during nap time for the baby.

butterfly1978
06-07-2010, 02:22 AM
LE was at a distinct disadvantage when they didn't even know the child was missing for nearly 9 hours. They have nothing to go on. A stranger seems unlikely but so does any other scenerio at this point. My gut is saying it is another student that he would have gone with willingly. I still think he could be in the school, which is one of the reasons I don't think they should have school until he is found. I don't even know what more could be done at this point. I just want him to come home safely.

I am leaning towards it being an older student as well. and the fact that they are allowing classes to continue, kinda confirms that, they may be monitoring students behavior and see if anyone talks, but geez those tall weeds, if he is back there its nearly impossible they would find him, but my gut says he is still in the school somewhere.

winterrose
06-07-2010, 02:22 AM
A pic of him was added June 4th,along with the three science fair pics.

darlin gal
06-07-2010, 02:23 AM

Terri Moulton Horman

9 new photos

She has a post at 8:01 AM for Treasure Island
(before she took him to school)

She posted pictures at 1:21 PM (the pictures she took of the science fair that morning)

She doesn't make another post till Saturday at 10:16 AM
Asking people not to listen to the news.

RubyRed
06-07-2010, 02:23 AM
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can hardly see grown men in those weeds, how can they find a 7 year old?

At this link if you scroll to bottom of the page there is quite the slideshow on where they are searching. Not easy for LE at all.

winterrose
06-07-2010, 02:24 AM
I think you are in a different time zone then her. The photos were posted at 1:21 pm pacific time.

Oh I see so I'm seeing my timezone instead of hers posted.

winterrose
06-07-2010, 02:27 AM
Saw the photo of him and Terri's father,so he's close to his grandparents,which he's always known.He was a baby when they got married.I wonder why the older boy is with the grandparents instead of either parent.

And is Terri and Kaine raising the boy in the science fair pic and bowling photo.Photo says it's his first time bowling,looks like Kyron is helping him hold the ball,sweet little child.

nomoresorrow
06-07-2010, 02:29 AM
It seems that Kyron's step-mother TH felt the need to clarify her being on her FB account... (comment section) http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/still_no_trace_of_kyron_horman.html

Pensfan
06-07-2010, 02:32 AM
She has a post at 8:01 AM for Treasure Island
(before she took him to school)

She posted pictures at 1:21 PM (the pictures she took of the science fair that morning)

She doesn't make another post till Saturday at 10:16 AM
Asking people not to listen to the news.
In the photo of Kyron in front of his science project, why are there not a lot of other parents, teachers, and kids? You can see one child in the background, but no others. Where is everyone? What time did she actually drop off Kryon?
http://abcnews.go.com/US/Media/kyron-horman-missing-disappeared-elementary-school/story?id=10836677

MsFacetious
06-07-2010, 02:36 AM
It seems that Kyron's step-mother TH felt the need to clarify her being on her FB account... (comment section) http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/still_no_trace_of_kyron_horman.html

She never came out and SAID he was missing or asked for help! She just said not to listen to the media!

What happened to not talking to anyone?? I would consider responding to a news article to be talking to the media.

I hope, that wasn't actually her.

pinkpuddytat
06-07-2010, 02:36 AM

The stepbrother lives with Kyron's stepmother's parents, in Roseburg, OR. That's a bit odd in itself, though of course there may be a perfectly normal explanation that we just don't know. At any rate, looking at the map, it appears to be about 275 miles away. A bit of a hike, but 100 miles or so closer than Kyron's mother, who lives in Medford, and who Kyron reportedly visits every other week. But unless there some huge backstory re the stepbrother that we haven't heard, presumably he visits his mother fairly regularly (or vice versa), and his mother is functioning as Kyron's primary mother. Looking at the map, if the stepmother is involved in shuttling Kyron to visit his mother, it would make sense to stop along the way to visit her son and her parents.

winterrose
06-07-2010, 02:37 AM
In the photo of Kyron in front of his science project, why are there not a lot of other parents, teachers, and kids? You can see one child in the background, but no others. Where is everyone? What time did she actually drop off Kryon?

I noticed that,one parent in one of the articles said there was alot of parents and she didn't know them all.She was busy looking at the projects,not thinking to look around.I mean you wouldn't be,who would think something like this anyway.It started at 8:00,so I'm wondering if he was one of the last kids in the science fair room before going to class.

Pensfan
06-07-2010, 02:40 AM
I noticed that,one parent in one of the articles said there was alot of parents and she didn't know them all.She was busy looking at the projects,not thinking to look around.I mean you wouldn't be,who would think something like this anyway.It started at 8:00,so I'm wondering if he was one of the last kids in the science fair room before going to class.
Or was he at school waaaaaaay too early. (?)

MsFacetious
06-07-2010, 02:41 AM
One thing that has me really scratching my head here is that everyone is being so nonchalant there seems to be no real since of urgency. No one is screaming WHERE IS THIS BABY!!!, no one is panicky, LE seems to be going through the motions or the (appearance) of searching but nothing full scale like hey there is a 7 year old missing!!

Where is the urgency?

I agree...except I have seen it before.

Since I live right here... I have to say... It was like this with Ethan Stacy. :sick:

Especially when contrasted with the few other missing children in the same state. When we compared Destiny Norton or Elizabeth Smart with Ethan Stacy... it was immediately obvious something was very wrong in the Ethan Stacy situation. There initially appeared to be a major search... then it was obvious there wasn't even before they publicly admitted they had quit looking.

This feels a lot like that situation. The difference being with Ethan it was simply more obvious. A smaller area, impossible to hide a large scale remote mountain search like that. In Portland... it might be easier to hide that kind of search...but here it just wasn't going to happen.

In this situation I am not so close to it. But I contrast it with Zoey Dorsey in the same state. The search did not slow down although that was a shorter time period. Nadia was a different state, but again the search did not slow down and that was a much longer time period.

Something is different here than just a child wandering off... or they would still be frantically searching those woods.

I swear there is another case where the child was found alive...that this situation reminds me of...the lack of urgency... but I can't think of it right now. :waitasec:

RubyRed
06-07-2010, 02:41 AM

Thanks I just read that.

Pensfan
06-07-2010, 02:43 AM
Where is the father? Has the father made any statements?

winterrose
06-07-2010, 02:44 AM
Or was he at school waaaaaaay too early. (?)

That could be also.

pinkpuddytat
06-07-2010, 02:45 AM
It depends what kind of phone she has. SmartPhones (such as Androids, Blackberries, etc) have capabilities to play certain games on Facebook via mobile phones (not sure if Treasure Isle is one of them though) but she'd have to have an upgraded data plan and everything in order to do that (aka- she'd need to REALLY love gaming because those data plans start at like $15 extra per month)

Her husband (Kyron's father) works for Intel. This may be a pretty techie family. And for a lot of people $15 a month is no big deal.

nomoresorrow
06-07-2010, 02:47 AM
Noticed that her comment (re: my post above) has generated a response. Sorry to say it but she just opened a can of worms. There will be many more, not-so-nice comments to come... Isn't there some kind of support agency for the parents of a missing child that advise the parents what to do/not to do at the onset of their child's disappearance when it comes to public scrutiny? If not, there should be! JMO ~

DairyGirl
06-07-2010, 02:47 AM

His Facebook is private. I'm beginning to think the stepmother's should be also.

DairyGirl
06-07-2010, 02:48 AM
I really doubt that the comment on the news story is from the step mother.

nomoresorrow
06-07-2010, 02:48 AM
She never came out and SAID he was missing or asked for help! She just said not to listen to the media!

What happened to not talking to anyone?? I would consider responding to a news article to be talking to the media.

I hope, that wasn't actually her.

I hope not either MsFacetious.

scandi
06-07-2010, 02:49 AM
Where could this little guy be? Today and tonight they are still working the 2 square mile grid of an area close to the school.

The 11pm news mainly said that the FBI has sent a CARD team to join the investigation and that a FBI profiler has been flown in from Quantico. That is new news from what KOIN implied.

I don't think it is a stretch to think Kyron could still be alive {even tho that belies the statistics}. I know hikers, auto accident victims, etc have been rescued many days after their going missing from areas in Oregon. The rain has been down pouring at times today and yesterday, but it isn't really cold outside. I just am hoping so bad he is lost somewhere and that minds focusing on an alive Kyron might somehow help him being found. xox

pufnstuf
06-07-2010, 02:50 AM
I really doubt that the comment on the news story is from the step mother.

If it's not from her, it's from someone who knows her. Her license plate on her car is RDSQRL (Red Squirrel).

MsFacetious
06-07-2010, 02:51 AM

No, neither has the mother, or stepmother other than Facebook and possibly a comment on a news article. Nobody in the family has made a public plea, or thank you or statement at all.

Today it was said that they were too traumatized and not ready to speak yet.

scandi
06-07-2010, 02:54 AM
Noticed that her comment (re: my post above) has generated a response. Sorry to say it but she just opened a can of worms. There will be many more, not-so-nice comments to come... Isn't there some kind of support agency for the parents of a missing child that advise the parents what to do/not to do at the onset of their child's disappearance when it comes to public scrutiny? If not, there should be! JMO ~

Yes Nomoresorrow, there is. I don't have the link here right now but will find it in a bit. Beth Holloway {Natalee's mother} has a new website where any family of a missing child can get all the help and answers they need in dealing with everything that might come up.

Here ya go:: Natalee Holloway Resource Center
http://www.crimemuseum.org/NHRC

Here's an example of how they help, giving info on topics like this:

Please contact us for any of the following reasons:

Did a loved one go missing and you aren't sure who to contact or how to proceed?

Do you need help coordinating efforts of finding a missing loved one?

Do you need help coordinating media efforts to find a missing loved one?

Do you need a traveling safe program for a group of students?

Do you have high-risk students that need an educational curriculum regarding law enforcement?

xox

pinkpuddytat
06-07-2010, 02:54 AM
Saw the photo of him and Terri's father,so he's close to his grandparents,which he's always known.He was a baby when they got married.I wonder why the older boy is with the grandparents instead of either parent.

And is Terri and Kaine raising the boy in the science fair pic and bowling photo.Photo says it's his first time bowling,looks like Kyron is helping him hold the ball,sweet little child.

The OregonLive article also says the older boy has lived with Terri's parents "for the past few months". I have seen where he lived before that -- presumably either with Terri and her husband (and thus with Kyron), or with his biological father, who also lives somewhere in the same general area. If the older boy changed residences during the school year, that would be very odd, and suggest that "something happened". But hard to know what "the past several months" means -- could mean the past 9 months, and thus since the beginning of the school year.

STEADFAST
06-07-2010, 02:56 AM

That little girl and the adult in the checked shirt with her (I think that's an adult in a checked shirt) who are in the background can vouch for what time Kyron and his stepmom were in the room. I sure wish there was a clock in the picture.

Charlie09
06-07-2010, 02:57 AM
what if.....

he didn't want to perform at the talent show? and wandered off to explore instead of performing? or was hiding out until it was done, and someone grabbed him?

STEADFAST
06-07-2010, 02:58 AM
If it's not from her, it's from someone who knows her. Her license plate on her car is RDSQRL (Red Squirrel).

Thanks, but how did you know that? I was wondering what those letters meant. Do we really ever know who is writing those anonymous comments? And why would a friend write it in the first person as if the stepmom is writing it?

ETA Just wanted to make clear, pns, that I don't mean "how do you know that" like I'm challenging you. I mean it like, "Wow, how did you find that out?"

MsFacetious
06-07-2010, 03:03 AM
I hope not either MsFacetious.

I can't even explain WHY that comment got such a reaction out of me.

Probably because if it WAS her... she took the time to defend HERSELF...actually said something... but not to thank the people searching for her kid. Or to ask people to keep looking. Or to express her love for him, how she misses him. Or to clarify the mistakes in the media.

Just felt the need to defend herself. :furious:

I want to believe she is at home crying and wondering if Kyron is cold, hungry or scared... I have to agree though that because of the plate number (which I believe was in a picture on her facebook if I remember correctly) it looks like it is her... but I am going to hope it is not...because that really, really REALLY made me angry. :banghead:

pufnstuf
06-07-2010, 03:05 AM
Thanks, but how did you know that? I was wondering what those letters meant. Do we really ever know who is writing those anonymous comments? And why would a friend write it in the first person as if the stepmom is writing it?

ETA Just wanted to make clear, pns, that I don't mean "how do you know that" like I'm challenging you. I mean it like, "Wow, how did you find that out?"

I'm tellin ya, I've got a PhD in Hormanology. I've read her FB back to the beginning several times, and that stuck out to me... the REDSQRL thing. It's buried waaaaaay back in her FB, but she got a red Mustang, and that's the personalized license plate on the car.

DairyGirl
06-07-2010, 03:06 AM

Probably because if it WAS her... she took the time to defend HERSELF...actually said something... but not to thank the people searching for her kid. Or to ask people to keep looking. Or to express her love for him, how she misses him. Or to clarify the mistakes in the media.

I want to believe she is at home crying and wondering if Kyron is cold, hungry or scared... I have to agree though that because of the plate number (which I believe was in a picture on her facebook if I remember correctly) it looks like it is her... but I am going to hope it is not...because that really, really REALLY made me angry. :banghead:

If her license plate is on Facebook then anyone could have used it. It just doesn't make sense that she would comment a news story to defend herself. She seems like a pretty mature woman and I am sure LE has told her to lay low. At least it seems like they told Kyron's mother to.

LadyL
06-07-2010, 03:07 AM
The news just said that Terri's facebook page "mentions a family pet that is also missing young Kyron." LOL Apparently they also think that cats can get hugs and read books on his bed! Oh my... (his little sister's nickname is Kitty..)

?? :waitasec:

I'm a bit confused by your post ... can you clarify?

butterfly1978
06-07-2010, 03:08 AM
Alright guys. I have to go to bed. I EXPECT you guys to have solved this by morning and tis sweet baby will be home safe and warm with a full belly in his own bed. Many prayers tonight Kyron, and Dear God please hold him close in your arms til he can be found.

revampz
06-07-2010, 03:12 AM
I am sorry if I offend anyone here but I am really suspicious of the step mum.....

It is for a number of reasons.....

The first one is that comment on the news article re the appointment.....now once again we know that this is merely a comment...so a rumor but the police would not confirm this......

This means (if this person knows more than we know) that the step mum told the teacher that Kyron had an appointment......why do this????? She then apparently emailed the teacher (I think) and said the appointment was for a later date....

They are saying that a student saw Kyron waiting at the southern entrance later that morning......what if stepmum said I'll get the car and meet you there or they actually just planned for her to pick him up from this entrance....

Maybe something then happened on the way to the appointment......or god please no, she planned for something to happen....

Once again this is just based on that comment and a few inconsistencies with her story and timings......oh and if it is her...the fact that she is trying to defend her actions on forums....

If this comment is a rumor then I still think if he was at the entrance he was meeting someone or going to someone......

All very scary...

STEADFAST
06-07-2010, 03:13 AM

It's hard to explain since we're not allowed to mention the name of minors. Suffice it to say that the name of a child in the home could be confused with a reference to a cat, and at least one poster here (guess who :blushing:) thought that the stepmom had posted that the cat was on Kyron's bed reading a book. Apparently the reporter made the same mistake.

MsFacetious
06-07-2010, 03:14 AM

I can't directly quote her facebook... but it's Saturday, late at night and has 12 comments to it. http://www.facebook.com/terri.horman?ref=search#!/terri.horman?v=wall&ref=search

But she said that her daughter was getting plenty of hugs both online and in person... that her daughter kept going into Kyron's room, climbing on his bed and reading his books. She referred to her daughter only as "Kitty."

Many people have taken this literally and think she is referring to a cat. On here, that's understandable. Media should do a tiny bit more research before saying that "a family pet is also missing young Kyron."

It did humor me though... and there is very little humor in this situation. So I was appreciative. :)

MsFacetious
06-07-2010, 03:15 AM
It's hard to explain since we're not allowed to mention the name of minors. Suffice it to say that the name of a child in the home could be confused with a reference to a cat, and at least one poster here (guess who :blushing:) thought that the stepmom had posted that the cat was on Kyron's bed reading a book. Apparently the reporter made the same mistake.

Kitty is NOT baby K's name. In fact that is the only time I've seen her referred to that way. Which is why it took me a minute to figure out what she was talking about... :waitasec:

winterrose
06-07-2010, 03:15 AM
I'm tellin ya, I've got a PhD in Hormanology. I've read her FB back to the beginning several times, and that stuck out to me... the REDSQRL thing. It's buried waaaaaay back in her FB, but she got a red Mustang, and that's the personalized license plate on the car.

Good job,I can google that nic for anymore comments anywhere,if that's what she uses.Not that it would come up with anything,but just to keep me busy.I'm ticked at this whole thing and how people just don't think more safety with kids,even today with all these children abducted.I don't get it.

STEADFAST
06-07-2010, 03:16 AM
Kitty is NOT baby K's name. In fact that is the only time I've seen her referred to that way. Which is why it took me a minute to figure out what she was talking about... :waitasec:

Maybe it was the cat after all.

Chili Fries
06-07-2010, 03:20 AM

I really wouldn't worry too much about that one comment. She is under a ton of stress right now and if you read the comments she's made on her Facebook wall there are many along the lines of what you expect from her.

No More
06-07-2010, 03:21 AM

Here is a link giving the description and behavior of a red squirrel, interesting reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Red_Squirrel

winterrose
06-07-2010, 03:23 AM
I'm wondering if the boy in the family photos and in science pics was accounted for at 8:45 in class.The grandmother or family friend said he wouldn't go out by himself,but if another child he knew wanted him to go he would.Maybe to look for tree frogs.Could he have went out with another child and the child went back in the school,and left Kyron,he got lost in the woods.Look how long it took to find Nadia and Zoey,they weren't that far away,but all the overheads and searchers couldn't find them right off.Probably not the scenario,but better than what it might be.

MsFacetious
06-07-2010, 03:24 AM
Maybe it was the cat after all.

I see no mention of a cat... or pictures of one... and it was in response to people asking about baby K... so I think it's pretty safe to assume she was talking about baby K. At first I thought it might have been her husband posting about HER... it was the wording of "climbing" that clued me into it being a non adult. And the books clued me into it being a human. (It was like 3am at the time...)

But you know what they say about assuming...but if they have a cat that reads books, I want to see. That's right up there with my dog that sang to Law and Order. :waitasec:

scandi
06-07-2010, 03:27 AM
I am sorry if I offend anyone here but I am really suspicious of the step mum.....

It is for a number of reasons.....

The first one is that comment on the news article re the appointment.....now once again we know that this is merely a comment...so a rumor but the police would not confirm this......

This means (if this person knows more than we know) that the step mum told the teacher that Kyron had an appointment......why do this????? She then apparently emailed the teacher (I think) and said the appointment was for a later date....

They are saying that a student saw Kyron waiting at the southern entrance later that morning......what if stepmum said I'll get the car and meet you there or they actually just planned for her to pick him up from this entrance....

Maybe something then happened on the way to the appointment......or god please no, she planned for something to happen....

Once again this is just based on that comment and a few inconsistencies with her story and timings......oh and if it is her...the fact that she is trying to defend her actions on forums....

If this comment is a rumor then I still think if he was at the entrance he was meeting someone or going to someone......

All very scary...

We do know the highest percentage of missing children are runaway's that do end up safe and back home and children abducted by family.

I don't think the FBI Profiler would have been flown out from Quantico if they had a bead on the SM. I think here we might be dealing with that very small percentage of children who might know the person who has taken them, even if in an incidental way. IMO

I bet within hours that profile of the unsub and the profile of Kyron himself will be developed. Whether they give that to the public or not will depend on what this profile tells them about the unsub. I was surprised tonight they announced the new FBI involvement as they don't always do that. And the CARD or FBI spokesman for the profiler explained how they will figure out everything about Kyle too, what he likes to do, how he reacts to situations, outgoing or shy and in what type of situations, etc. {The FBI always profiles both the unsub and the victim}. They have done this for a reason in giving it to the public which must be to get a certain reaction from the unsub or send him a message to maybe illicit an action of some sort from him.

At least that is how it goes on Criminal Minds. xox

STEADFAST
06-07-2010, 03:30 AM
I see no mention of a cat... or pictures of one... and it was in response to people asking about baby K... so I think it's pretty safe to assume she was talking about baby K. At first I thought it might have been her husband posting about HER... it was the wording of "climbing" that clued me into it being a non adult. And the books clued me into it being a human. (It was like 3am at the time...)

But you know what they say about assuming...but if they have a cat that reads books, I want to see. That's right up there with my dog that sang to Law and Order. :waitasec:

Just think how emotionally powerful that would be, to have your little one climb up on your young missing son's bed as if she wanted to be close to him! That's why I don't get the smiley face included at the end of that entry.

scandi
06-07-2010, 03:32 AM
I'm wondering if the boy in the family photos and in science pics was accounted for at 8:45 in class.The grandmother or family friend said he wouldn't go out by himself,but if another child he knew wanted him to go he would.Maybe to look for tree frogs.Could he have went out with another child and the child went back in the school,and left Kyron,he got lost in the woods.Look how long it took to find Nadia and Zoey,they weren't that far away,but all the overheads and searchers couldn't find them right off.Probably not the scenario,but better than what it might be.

It really could be that Winterrose. Let's hope, eh?

I always think of Elizabeth Smart tucked away in a that little cave up behind her house. She could hear the searchers calling for her and could do nothing about it. So close but yet so far away.

violet67
06-07-2010, 03:33 AM
Maybe it was the cat after all. I think kitty is just a nicname for baby k. I also think something is really off about the alleged appointment. I also get the feeling that underneath the perfect family facade the SM was having some issues with both boys around baby k. She seems to favor and be somewhat overprotective of her ( I really hope i am wrong here)

No More
06-07-2010, 03:36 AM
If her license plate is on Facebook then anyone could have used it. It just doesn't make sense that she would comment a news story to defend herself. She seems like a pretty mature woman and I am sure LE has told her to lay low. At least it seems like they told Kyron's mother to.

but it also doesn't make sense that Kyron is missing. If it quacks it's a duck.

DairyGirl
06-07-2010, 03:37 AM
Of course it is natural to look at the family. Experience (and statistics) show that is most likely. As far as the comment, I didn't get the impression that it was someone with inside information as much as it was someone wanting to cast aspersions on the step mother. We have no information that she told the teacher that they had an appointment, I think that would have been mentioned earlier if true. The only thing that makes me go "Hmmm" is the talent show. She seems very involved in Kyron's life and in other instances went to school activities including the science fair. If it's true that he was to be included in the talent show I can't understand why she wouldn't go. My daughter would have been very upset if I wasn't there on that day. I am curious why she didn't plan on going to that.

MsFacetious
06-07-2010, 03:42 AM
Just think how emotionally powerful that would be, to have your little one climb up on your young missing son's bed as if she wanted to be close to him! That's why I don't get the smiley face included at the end of that entry.

I agree it would be very emotionally powerful...I have two girls who are unbelievably close. Either one would probably have to be sedated if the other one went missing. But mine are rarely even separated for a couple of hours.

However, this situation is different. So it also is odd because it had only been a little over 24 hours since baby K would have seen him the day before when he got home from school... and Kyron goes to his Mom's house on weekends a lot anyway. So if he had done that, she wouldn't have seen him Saturday. (The day that she was climbing on the bed.)

So does baby K do this every time Kyron goes to visit his Mom? :waitasec:

I haven't gone through her whole facebook...maybe the one with the degree in Hormanology could tell us if that was mentioned? How baby K handles Kyron leaving to visit his Mom? :waitasec:

LadyL
06-07-2010, 03:46 AM

that's weird

why is she (if that is indeed her) trying to defend her use of FB - why is she even thinking about the public's perception right now instead of out searching or just huddling with family trying to keep hope alive

I find it VERY odd

pufnstuf
06-07-2010, 03:47 AM
I haven't gone through her whole facebook...maybe the one with the degree in Hormanology could tell us if that was mentioned? How baby K handles Kyron leaving to visit his Mom? :waitasec:

First time I've seen anything like that mentioned--about her daughter missing her stepson.

I do think that SM has a flair for melodramatics, though.

MsFacetious
06-07-2010, 03:51 AM
First time I've seen anything like that mentioned--about her daughter missing her stepson.

I do think that SM has a flair for melodramatics, though.

It would just seem awfully odd that baby K would suddenly have an issue with it. You know... if she never missed him before, why would she now? It's not like he's been gone a week, or any longer than he normally would be to go visit his Mom.

I didn't see any pictures of Kyron with baby K, did you see any? I saw a couple of the older son with her, but I don't remember any of Kyron with her. I mean, like holding her, or playing with her... not just where he happens to be in the picture.

nanny2five
06-07-2010, 03:55 AM
IMO, a child predator was in the school open house for the science fair activities.

Kyron and the families are in my prayers.
that is exactly what i am afraid of, money girl. i wish there was a way to make the world 100% safe for our children. prayers for Kyron and hope that he gets home safely.

LadyL
06-07-2010, 03:55 AM

LOL

ok, I get it now
I must've missed a few posts

thank you for clearing up my confusion

Chili Fries
06-07-2010, 03:56 AM
I really hate to say this but even though it's a rural area and there are many hiding places for a small body I hope LE is keeping tabs on garbage pickups in the area and watching the landfill.

Really hard to get any feel for what happened. At this point I still wouldn't be surprised if he is found somewhere in the dense foliage or his body is found in the school. And pedophile stranger, fellow student, school staff, stepmom...even somebody who somewhat accidentally hit him with their car and felt the need to cover up evidence...all of those possibilities and even more are on the table. I do think LE has probably gleaned a lot more info from interviews with people at the school that day than has been made public.

MsFacetious
06-07-2010, 05:23 AM
I really hate to say this but even though it's a rural area and there are many hiding places for a small body I hope LE is keeping tabs on garbage pickups in the area and watching the landfill.

That's another thing that should be standard in missing child cases. When they said in Somer's case that a cop "suggested" it... I was shocked. You mean, it's not just procedure to halt the garbage when you know about the missing child the same day?

It definitely should be standard procedure. Learning lessons from previous cases here...

I still wonder if anyone is being questioned...or polygraphed... or any locations searched. (As in cars, houses, not outdoor locations that we already know about.)

Hopefully... in ten hours we will have good news. :)

STEADFAST
06-07-2010, 06:10 AM
News stories led me to believe that Kyron and his sm dropped his coat and backpack in his classroom and then proceeded to a different room that was holding the science fair. But Kyron's exhibit was set up in his own classroom. Here's a pic from http://www.kptv.com/slideshow/news/23806039/detail.html titiled "Tour Kyron's Classroom. Underneath is the picture of Kyron by his exhibit. I've drawn lines to show a few of the items that show they are both pictures of the same room.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb202/toshroger/kyronsclassroom.jpg

When you look at the pictures in their larger form, it is much more obvious. (The picture of Kyron's friend is taken in a different room. The stuff around the border is different.)

BeanE
06-07-2010, 06:31 AM
All news articles for Kyron, in reverse date order, most recent first, from Interceder. I find that the news stories show up faster here than on Google News, and you can immediately see a new article you haven't seen yet right at the top:

http://interceder.net/news/Kyron-Horman

BeanE
06-07-2010, 06:32 AM
Investigators trying to find the boy have interviewed nearly 200 of his classmates and their parents and the FBI sent a team to take part in the expanding search.

http://www.wtol.com/global/story.asp?s=12604843

BeanE
06-07-2010, 06:42 AM

Staton is the Sheriff.

BeanE
06-07-2010, 06:44 AM
Once again, Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. We do not sleuth family until we are given a reason to do so. No one in this case has been named a POI. Further sleuthing, disparaging comments, and speculation about family involvement will not be tolerated. Anyone continuing to do so will be given a time out. THIS IS THE FINAL WARNING.

It is easy to blame the family. And yes, it is important to look there. But at this point, LE has given us no reason to do so. So for now, get out of your "sleuthing comfort zone". There are dozens of other avenues to explore.

bumpity bump

crystalgenie
06-07-2010, 06:59 AM
Oregon boy vanishes from school
Search for missing boy grows
Updated: Monday, 07 Jun 2010, 5:55 AM CDT
Published : Monday, 07 Jun 2010, 5:55 AM CDT

ANNE M. PETERSON,Associated Press Writer
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - Investigators trying to find a vanished 7-year-old Oregon boy interviewed nearly 200 of his classmates and their parents as the FBI sent a team to take part in the expanding search.

The boy's parents were not ready to speak, Lt. Mary Lindstrand said Sunday.

http://www.fox10tv.com/dpps/news/national/west/search-for-ore-boy-who-vanished-from-school-grows-jgr_3407709

Donjeta
06-07-2010, 07:18 AM
Oregon boy vanishes from school
Search for missing boy grows
Updated: Monday, 07 Jun 2010, 5:55 AM CDT
Published : Monday, 07 Jun 2010, 5:55 AM CDT

ANNE M. PETERSON,Associated Press Writer
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - Investigators trying to find a vanished 7-year-old Oregon boy interviewed nearly 200 of his classmates and their parents as the FBI sent a team to take part in the expanding search.

The boy's parents were not ready to speak, Lt. Mary Lindstrand said Sunday.http://www.fox10tv.com/dpps/news/national/west/search-for-ore-boy-who-vanished-from-school-grows-jgr_3407709

BBM. What does this mean? That the parents are too upset to speak with the media? Too upset to be interrogated? Forbidden by LE to speak with the media? Surely not that they're not cooperating?

Donjeta
06-07-2010, 07:27 AM

Police remain stymied as to what happened to the second-grader, described by his grandmother as dreamy, sweet and a bit timid. His stepmother said she last saw him at 8:45 a.m. Friday. She watched him walk toward his classroom after the pair toured the school's science fair.

So he was seen at the school some time after 8:45 am., but he never went to his classroom to join his chaperoned group if nobody saw him there? What could be the reason why? Are there bullies he could have been afraid of? Is all the school staff accounted for in these hours?

keeponsearching
06-07-2010, 07:41 AM

So he was seen at the school some time after 8:45 am., but he never went to his classroom to join his chaperoned group if nobody saw him there? What could be the reason why? Are there bullies he could have been afraid of? Is all the school staff accounted for in these hours?

I wish we had an inside map. Maybe after he said goodbye to his mom he decided to go the bathroom.

keeponsearching
06-07-2010, 07:45 AM
I think kitty is just a nicname for baby k. I also think something is really off about the alleged appointment. I also get the feeling that underneath the perfect family facade the SM was having some issues with both boys around baby k. She seems to favor and be somewhat overprotective of her ( I really hope i am wrong here)

My first response was it was the toddler. I know they have a cat, it says so on the info page. I just like to say I pic the cat getting into the bed with a book.
I need my coffee.

Angel4u2Whisper2
06-07-2010, 07:47 AM

True if he and his half brother were not close or have any communication recently but concidering they are concerned he would need to know and the news may be upsetting..do you think it would be extreemly important to contact him asap in the event he may know something of value in locating Kyron?? Kids tell each other stuff. Just MOO.

BeanE
06-07-2010, 08:19 AM
BBM. What does this mean? That the parents are too upset to speak with the media? Too upset to be interrogated? Forbidden by LE to speak with the media? Surely not that they're not cooperating?

Too upset to speak to the media.

BeanE
06-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Video - This morning's piece on the Today Show:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/37550372#37550372

BeanE
06-07-2010, 08:22 AM

Another student also saw him at a south entrance in the later morning hours. This came out as LE was interviewing the parents and students yesterday.

Staton is the Sheriff.

A fellow student said Kyron was spotted near his classroom in the late morning hours of Friday, but he otherwise has not been seen since then.

Also stated by the Sheriff in the video in the upper right hand corner of the page.

BeanE
06-07-2010, 08:24 AM
Raw video of the LE press conference yesterday for those who missed it. It's in the upper right hand corner of this page:

trigger
06-07-2010, 08:26 AM

Staton is the Sheriff.

Where is his classroom? Is it by the south entrance?

This is terrible. How can this happen? Where is he?

I hope they re-interview every employee who was at the school that day.

This child looks so much like my grandson when he was that age.

Im glad the school is tightening their security but its a little late for Kyron.

Hope hes found. OMG

BeanE
06-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Where is his classroom? Is it by the south entrance?

This is terrible. How can this happen? Where is he?

I hope they re-interview every employee who was at the school that day.

This child looks so much like my grandson when he was that age.

Im glad the school is tightening their security but its a little late for Kyron.

Hope hes found. OMG

Kyron's classroom is on the second floor.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/search_for_missing_portland_bo.html

Angel4u2Whisper2
06-07-2010, 08:52 AM
I was wondering, CSI fans if there was a epiosode where a child comes up missing from school or school event on the show that you know of?

TIA

Please excuse my spelling errors in advance :blowkiss:

trigger
06-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Kyron's classroom is on the second floor.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/search_for_missing_portland_bo.html

Thank you. Just catching up here..

Also thanx for the presser!

Prayers for his safe return

believe09
06-07-2010, 08:56 AM
I read today that the FBI are processing all videos and photos from the School Science Fair, and that the LK photo of Kyron is in front of his project.

Now in our school, there is one way into/out of the building that does not trigger an alarm. You sign in at the office if you are visiting for the science fair. That means one way in, one way out and you sign in and out. If you are not wearing a visitor badge, you are stopped by any staff member.

There has to be a finite number of people that the FBI are looking at who might have come into contact with the science fair. If it was a stranger who took the opportunity to grab Kyron, then Kyron must have been targeted or stalked some how. And that seems beyond the realm of possibility unless they missed a CORI check of someone inside the school system.

Now, a parent could certainly leave with a child in the middle of that kind of chaos. That I can see. Assuming that each teacher takes attendance and keeps track of the students, I have to believe that the teachers know whether or not Kyron returned to the class room from the science fair. The kids in his class know, because even in my son's kindergarten class they can all tell you who is missing at any given moment, and these are 5 year olds.

So I am really really puzzled. Is bio mom in the picture at all? I will go back through these fast moving threads....

believe09
06-07-2010, 09:01 AM
One more question, I know that investigators are being closed mouthed but has the school been completely cleared? I mean every locker every nook and cranny?

Pensfan
06-07-2010, 09:02 AM
I wish we had an inside map. Maybe after he said goodbye to his mom he decided to go the bathroom.
On the comment's section for an abc report, one mother, supposedly from this area, wrote that the bathrooms were near an unsecured door that opened out to a park. She had told her daughter to never leave class and go to the bathroom and to never go alone to those bathrooms.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/Media/kyron-horman-missing-disappeared-elementary-school/comments?type=story&id=10836677

freefallzzzz
06-07-2010, 09:04 AM
The local news is on scene at the school, where they are saying school will be held today and searchers will be searching. You can watch it live at the link.

They usually have the top story at beginning of the hour, and usually every 15 minutes.

The reporter is on scene live so they are showing him in front of the school

The news is on until 9am PST..

http://www.kptv.com/video/15359817/index.html

STEADFAST
06-07-2010, 09:05 AM
I read today that the FBI are processing all videos and photos from the School Science Fair, and that the LK photo of Kyron is in front of his project.

Now in our school, there is one way into/out of the building that does not trigger an alarm. You sign in at the office if you are visiting for the science fair. That means one way in, one way out and you sign in and out. If you are not wearing a visitor badge, you are stopped by any staff member.

There has to be a finite number of people that the FBI are looking at who might have come into contact with the science fair. If it was a stranger who took the opportunity to grab Kyron, then Kyron must have been targeted or stalked some how. And that seems beyond the realm of possibility unless they missed a CORI check of someone inside the school system.

Now, a parent could certainly leave with a child in the middle of that kind of chaos. That I can see. Assuming that each teacher takes attendance and keeps track of the students, I have to believe that the teachers know whether or not Kyron returned to the class room from the science fair. The kids in his class know, because even in my son's kindergarten class they can all tell you who is missing at any given moment, and these are 5 year olds.

So I am really really puzzled. Is bio mom in the picture at all? I will go back through these fast moving threads....

Kyron's teacher marked him absent. The picture his stepmom took of him, though, proves that he was in the classroom at some point before roll was taken.

angelmom
06-07-2010, 09:14 AM
A few thoughts after reading all of the threads:

The school looks like it is built into a hillside. So it could be that a 2nd floor room actually does open onto a back parking lot. Or it could be bad reporting (as we've seen a LOT so far).

The 2nd floor classroom could be why TH didn't walk all the way to the classroom. If she had Baby K in a stroller, she might have just said goodbye to him at the stairs instead of going back up among the crowd. Not to mention, despite what some commenters on Topix think, I wouldn't hesitate to let my 2nd grader walk to class alone. I have dropped my kids at the curb (as requested by the school) since they were in kindergarten. Also, does the "dood" think the bus driver walks those kids to class every day, or do they manage to get there on their own?

Baby K's nap schedule might be why TH didn't go to talent show. I know that when my own DD was about that age it was a nightmare if she was off her schedule. She was too old to sleep in her carseat and too young to miss a nap one day. There were times I reluctantly missed an event b/c I knew she would cry through the whole thing and I'd have to walk out anyway.

Baby K and her schedule may also be why TH is sometimes on fb when others apparently think she should be beating the bushes for Kyron. She may be "trapped" in the house taking care of her DD, feeling helpless and unable to do anything, and going online is her only outlet. If her DH and LE are at the command center, she may literally be home alone while the baby naps with nothing but the computer. I would be unable to resist the temptation of reading what people are saying, looking for updates, etc. And I might also get angry and frustrated enough that I would lash out and make a comment when I really wasn't supposed to.

At school, clearly there is the policy and what happened. I can't blame them as I have had the same experience of the sign in/out procedure being tossed out when 100 people are standing at the window. They just open the door, no badges or sign in. It has never concerned me because I think someone would have to know that to take advantage of it.

I am also very familiar with kids coming for just part of a special day at the end of the year when there are no other academics really going on. As a teacher, this wouldn't faze me. And while Kyron may have been in the talent show, I don't know that everyone would know or remember that. Like the person who does attendance, for example.

Also, I can totally see TH mentioning to the teacher (in the middle of the crazy gym!) that Kyron would be late on Monday or whatever b/c of an appointment, and the teacher not really paying attention (justifiably - trying to watch the other kids) and only remembering later "Did she say something about an appointment?" ~shrug~ She may have even said to TH, "email me so I don't forget" and TH did.

As for being called if the child leaves something...I have never. My kids have left lunchboxes, homework, PE bags (with their only tennis shoes!), etc. I would not expect a call, nor would I have called when I was teaching. It may not have been noticed until all of the other bags, etc. were taken home, and then just assumed that they forgot.

It is easy to armchair QB the situation, but seriously, like everyone keeps saying, when has a child been taken from a school? That cuts both ways - makes it seem unlikely, but also makes the school's lack of panic and TH's trust very reasonable.

believe09
06-07-2010, 09:14 AM
Now, stepmom was last to see him. Let's speculate for a moment that she disappeared him-it was a given that she would have been seen taking him. School was in session regardless of the science fair. Let's step back and say that she took the photo of him next to the project and then she took him home or somewhere; the same can be said. It feels to me like he has to be inside of the school. Inside a closet, inside ceiling tiles...inside a locker. Somewhere inside of the school.

Has anyone sleuthed CSI episodes to see if there was a similar one? JUST speculating....mind you.

believe09
06-07-2010, 09:17 AM
I agree with angelmom that there seems to be something lacking here in the school's system. I would love to know if the doors are alarmed the way ours are-a child choosing to leave the school would trigger the alarms at my school here. What about there?

Reality Orlando
06-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Hiya Tara to you. No, I do not recall where the appointment thing was except in that Drood report. Then someone referred to a question asked of LE about the appointment , and LE refused to comment on it.

That's all I know.

But, does it make sense that SM would do something to the child after saying that he has an appt ? Then he turns up missing and she calls the school to ask where he is? Now that makes no sense at all.

But no family member going to the talent show makes no sense at all either.

None of it makes any sense from the school not wondering where he was, to the north, the south, the second floor,maybe more. IDK

I've seen nothing about the 18 month old daughter being with SM when she visited the school that morning, so maybe she had someone watch her while she went, but didn't have anyone to watch her during the time of the talent show. A child that age can be very disruptive during performances and maybe she thought it best not to attend for that reason.

Chili Fries
06-07-2010, 09:25 AM
Terrific post angelmom.

The school looks like it is built into a hillside. So it could be that a 2nd floor room actually does open onto a back parking lot.

That is a very astute observation. I just took another look at the Bing Maps aerial view and the second floor is the ground floor in the back. So he could have been on the second floor and still near an exit.

Pensfan
06-07-2010, 09:29 AM
The mom stated that she dropped him off at 8:45 am, but the school day didn’t start until 10:00 am. That leaves 1 hour and 15 minutes for something awful to happen to an unsupervised child. Did the school not explain to the parents that there would not be school until 10:00 am? (This is disturbing!)

"The school day didn't start till 10:00 a.m. that day because of the science fair."

http://www.examiner.com/x-46795-Missing-Persons-Examiner~y2010m6d6-Missing-Child-Alert--second-grader-Kyron-Horman-missing-from-school

Angel4u2Whisper2
06-07-2010, 09:29 AM
Now, stepmom was last to see him. Let's speculate for a moment that she disappeared him-it was a given that she would have been seen taking him. School was in session regardless of the science fair. Let's step back and say that she took the photo of him next to the project and then she took him home or somewhere; the same can be said. It feels to me like he has to be inside of the school. Inside a closet, inside ceiling tiles...inside a locker. Somewhere inside of the school.

Has anyone sleuthed CSI episodes to see if there was a similar one? JUST speculating....mind you.

The question about CSI, you must of read my mind. I asked that question a few posts back. I would sleuth it if I knew how.

believe09
06-07-2010, 09:30 AM
So, let's say he walked straight out of the building for some reason-why? He seemed pretty happy in the science fair picture....his friends seem to describe him as happy.

believe09
06-07-2010, 09:34 AM
The mom stated that she dropped him off at 8:45 am, but the school day didn’t start until 10:00 am. That leaves 1 hour and 15 minutes for something awful to happen to an unsupervised child. Did the school not explain to the parents that there would not be school until 10:00 am? (This is disturbing!)

"The school day didn't start till 10:00 a.m. that day because of the science fair."
http://www.examiner.com/x-46795-Missing-Persons-Examiner~y2010m6d6-Missing-Child-Alert--second-grader-Kyron-Horman-missing-from-school

The question about CSI, you must of read my mind. I asked that question a few posts back. I would sleuth it if I knew how.

It is really disturbing to read that the school day was delayed until 10AM. That changes the picture a little for me because then perhaps the hallways would not have been teaming with people, which is what I imagined. Why was he headed to the classroom at all if all of the activity was in the science fair? Just wonderin.

I have been sleuthing CSI episodes-I am finding a few that generally fit but not well enough to post. there is a crossover CSI/Without a Trace episode that interests me but I have to head out and cant sleuth it right now...I will be back in a few hours and will dig into it then.

FWIW, prayers for Kyron. This story is really disturbing to me.... :(

Chili Fries
06-07-2010, 09:36 AM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4048/4678805996_2f9508929b_b.jpg

Here is a view of what looks to be a second floor exit onto the parking lot.

I wonder if he ran outside trying to catch his mom but she had left already. Maybe someone offered to give him a ride to catch up with her. Really though, we could probably come up with all kinds of scenarios that led him out of the building.

Calliope
I said this before, you couldn't pay me enough to send my child to that school tomorrow. My biggest fear is that he is still in that school somewhere. I hope they have searched it with a fine tooth comb.

My fear is he wandered into that thick brush/forest next to the school... maybe looking for a frog :(

STEADFAST
So, let's say he walked straight out of the building for some reason-why? He seemed pretty happy in the science fair picture....his friends seem to describe him as happy.

Behind the school are vast woods. I think he's either lost in the woods or, as you suggested, somewhere inside the school. I don't think it's as likely that someone snatched him and took him to a car and even less likely that a family member murdered him in cold blood. But LE isn't ruling anyone out. At the presser, the sheriff said everyone is a POI at this point.

Pensfan
06-07-2010, 09:40 AM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4048/4678805996_2f9508929b_b.jpg

Here is a view of what looks to be a second floor exit onto the parking lot.

I wonder if he ran outside trying to catch his mom but she had left already. Maybe someone offered to give him a ride to catch up with her. Really though, we could probably come up with all kinds of scenarios that led him out of the building.
I bet this is the park that the mom on the abc comment's section stated was near the bathroom and an unsecured door. She told her daughter to never go to this bathroom alone. (Lord have mercy!)

Homeless people frequently sleep in the parks in my city. How about here?

STEADFAST
06-07-2010, 09:41 AM
It is really disturbing to read that the school day was delayed until 10AM. That changes the picture a little for me because then perhaps the hallways would not have been teaming with people, which is what I imagined. Why was he headed to the classroom at all if all of the activity was in the science fair? Just wonderin.

I have been sleuthing CSI episodes-I am finding a few that generally fit but not well enough to post. there is a crossover CSI/Without a Trace episode that interests me but I have to head out and cant sleuth it right now...I will be back in a few hours and will dig into it then.

FWIW, prayers for Kyron. This story is really disturbing to me.... :(

The school day didn't start until 10, which was also the time that roll was taken, but before that the children were put into small groups and taken by adults around the classes to look at the science fair projects. I haven't seen any clarification about whether Kyron was ever put into one of those groups.

southern_scout
06-07-2010, 09:41 AM
I know the idea that he left to look for a frog has been thrown around. Is it possible that someone at the fair noticed his project and said "hey, there are lots of frogs in the woods or by that pond" and either a.) Kyron decided to go check it out or b.) that person said "I will show you if you meet me by the back door at (x time). Don't tell anyone, 'cause we could get into trouble"? Just trying to think of scenarios that could work. We have no idea if someone (predatory) has been watching this kid all along, a "friend" of the family or a neighbor or even just someone who went to the school that day looking for a victim. If it's someone that knows the school well, they may have already known that security was lax on special days, or known that it would be easy to pretend to be there for the science fair (it might have been on the school sign outside?). Said person may have already checked doors and realized the back door would not be alarmed.

Calliope
06-07-2010, 09:44 AM
I am shocked to see that people can just walk in and out of an elementary school. In my city in the public and private schools, all doors are locked and every single visitor is "vetted" by videocam and speaker before they are let inside (even on science and book fair days). Parents must call by 7:40 if your child will not be attending that day or the school calls you. If your child doesn't attend class and isn't on the master list of absentees, parents are immediately called. Kids can't skip school because they can't get out of the school without the office videotaping them. All the schools also have outside videocams just in case kids are smoking weed or whatever outside.

Can't do anything but pray in this case.

I am shocked, and saddened, that it's come to this :(

trigger
06-07-2010, 09:45 AM

Maybe someone took his hand and led him outside. I shutter to think about it.

southern_scout
06-07-2010, 09:47 AM
I wonder how common the knowledge is that the back door to the parking lot is not monitored/alarmed? Is this something that someone who's had kids in the school before would know? Something that would be easy to figure out by watching/observing?

Pensfan
06-07-2010, 09:49 AM
Maybe someone took his hand and led him outside. I shutter to think about it.

BBM It is unbelievable that an elementary school would have an unsecured door. I read that this town was like Mayberry, but predators are everywhere.

amandab
06-07-2010, 09:51 AM
I have to say, IMO this was a crime of opportunity committed by someone connected to that school. To snatch Kyron (if in fact that is what happened), the perp would have had to have known that this particular day was a deviation from the norm, what with the science fair and talent show and all that.

Having rules in place that require visitors to check in or otherwise make themselves known are irrelevant; I have to assume that they weren't stringently enforced b/c I get the general impression from this school that they had a "it won't happen here" mentality.

Prayers for Kyron, that he is found safe - prayers also for the other students at the school, the undercurrent there has to be terrifying.

Kentjbkent
06-07-2010, 09:51 AM
News stories led me to believe that Kyron and his sm dropped his coat and backpack in his classroom and then proceeded to a different room that was holding the science fair. But Kyron's exhibit was set up in his own classroom. Here's a pic from http://www.kptv.com/slideshow/news/23806039/detail.html titiled "Tour Kyron's Classroom. Underneath is the picture of Kyron by his exhibit. I've drawn lines to show a few of the items that show they are both pictures of the same room.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb202/toshroger/kyronsclassroom.jpg

When you look at the pictures in their larger form, it is much more obvious. (The picture of Kyron's friend is taken in a different room. The stuff around the border is different.)

I am very intrigued by your photo comparison of Kyron's classroom against photo of Kyron in front of project, Steadfast.....

So if Kyron's project was on display in his ACTUAL classroom, as opposed to a different classroom, doesn't that change the SM timeline?

Didn't she state that she and Kyron visited the classroom where project was on display and then she proceeded to walk him down the hallway to HIS classroom , although not actually walking him all the way INTO the classroom, but instead leaving him in the hallway?

If they were already IN HIS classroom, when and why did they leave the classroom, only to return later?

And just a PS....after seeing the photos of Kyron's schoolwork on your news link, no way Kyron had much involvement in creating his project...

amandab
06-07-2010, 09:52 AM
Just had an awful thought - I hope they are looking at other students in the school as possible perpetrators. It sounds terrible, but isn't unheard of any more. :(

Jules71
06-07-2010, 09:55 AM

The way I understand it is the school opened at 8 am for the Science Fair (to walk around and look at all the exhibits with your parent(s). At 8:45 you would return to your class and be grouped up with one parent volunteer and 4-5 kids to go look at all the science projects as a group. I believe 8:45 is when school started regularly. This is when attendance should have been taken IMO. They would then finish with the science fair and return to class at 10:00.

The science projects were set up in the classrooms, but was there also something in the gym? The only place I think I read that was the comments about the SM telling teacher of an appt.

Calliope
06-07-2010, 09:56 AM

I don't do that stuff, so I don't know for sure how it works, but someone on another thread says these things post automatically to your FB (implying the person may not have actually been "playing" when they posted).