PDA

View Full Version : Spoke with KOIN News 6 and they said that Kyron's Body Has Not Been Found

Tricia
06-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Even though it says on their website that Kyron's body has been found it is not true.

I spoke to the news desk just a moment ago and he said they are taking it down and are not quite sure how it got up there.

http://www.koinlocal6.com/search/sitesearch.aspx?q=kyron

Boo Scout
06-17-2010, 07:22 PM
It still comes up in search results on their website but the link does not go anywhere.

pufnstuf
06-17-2010, 07:23 PM
This is CRAZY. Why on earth would a news source post a rumor that came from blogs and forums?

Completely insane!

Thanks, Tricia, for calling KOIN about it. Crazy!

mrsjonnob
06-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Very fishy... I hope it isn't true, but have a sick feeling about it :(

Kimster
06-17-2010, 07:24 PM
The executive producer at FOX says it is NOT true. http://twitter.com/pdxfox12EP

Tricia
06-17-2010, 07:25 PM
Very fishy... I hope it isn't true, but have a sick feeling about it :(

Something is very funky and I too have that sick sinking feeling.

CocoChanel
06-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Something is wrong here. Why would a reputable news source have that on their home page? I have a bad feeling it got there just a bit too soon...but it is very ominous.

rosetattoo
06-17-2010, 07:29 PM
This is frustrating. Maybe someone is jumping the gun. If they found a body, it's likely they still don't have a positive ID. I wish the media would just get their butts out to Sauvie Island and report what's going on there. Are there more searchers than there have been the last couple days? Are they taking things away from the scene?

mysticrose
:waitasec: well ..... something is not right that is for sure.

fhc
nothing here

http://www.flashalert.net/news.html?id=1276

believe09
06-17-2010, 07:30 PM
What.A.Mess.

mommya
06-17-2010, 07:30 PM
They (LE) wouldn't allow the release a false story like that to guage someone's reaction would they?

lightlady
06-17-2010, 07:31 PM
Oh animefemme, that is so sad.

darlin gal
06-17-2010, 07:33 PM
I called them a half an hour ago and they said the same thing. It would take one minute to wipe that off their site. Why have they not done it yet?

I posted a screen cap in the truck thread just before Tricia posted.

mommya
06-17-2010, 07:34 PM
I'm not good at searching arrest bookings - are you guys on it?

Tricia
06-17-2010, 07:35 PM
DO NOT POST ANYTHING ON THIS THREAD THAT HAS NOT BEEN CONFIRMED.

If anyone else does they will be banned.

6angels
06-17-2010, 07:35 PM
I may need to admit my damn self in the Hospital after all this. I am litterly shaking.

6angels
06-17-2010, 07:36 PM
Don't quote uncomfirmed rumors pleaseeeee. OH My goodness I am just sick over this.

kai
06-17-2010, 07:37 PM
IF/when an arrest is made, does anyone know if it will be Multnomah County Sheriff Dept or the Portland Police or someone else who has jurisdiction? I have been searching the MCS arrest report website this afternoon but haven't found any record of anyone whose names we know about yet being in custody. I could have been searching the wrong agency though...

winterrose
maybe we should just stay on here and wait,see if it's confirmed or not.

ElizaAvalon
What the heck is going on?

I too have a sick feeling.

Tricia
06-17-2010, 07:39 PM
Attention animefemme

It's OK. Calm down. Please email me at tgrif@xmission.com ASAP OK?

6angels
06-17-2010, 07:40 PM
http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/news/topstories/story/Rumors-swirl-around-Horman-investigation/WPjHVDbfQkulpM6um9gubQ.cspx

PORTLAND, Ore. – The Internet may have made communication and access to information easier (at least more convenient), but www could stand for the Wild Wild West instead of World Wide Web when it comes to verification of rumors.

A sad case in point is a torrent of “news” swirling around the Kyron Horman investigation.

Multiple postings on multiple web sites claim multiple outcomes—some have various people arrested, others have various results to the search for the missing 2nd grader—all of which the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office have denounced

“The social networking sites with Twitter and Facebook, someone posts something and it gets out there,” said Mary Lindstrom with Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office. “There is a rumor out there that Kyron’s been found and someone’s been arrested. No, that has not happened. It’s not true.”

Beyond Belief
06-17-2010, 07:40 PM
Prayers for Kyron and his family and friends.

animefemme
06-17-2010, 07:41 PM
Thank you Tricia. I'm sorry, and I am emailing you as we speak.

JBean
06-17-2010, 07:42 PM
This my friends is why we don't post rumors!

ETA: Just have to wait for confirmation because the 'scoop" just isn't worth it.

gwenabob
06-17-2010, 07:42 PM
IF/when an arrest is made, does anyone know if it will be Multnomah County Sheriff Dept or the Portland Police or someone else who has jurisdiction? I have been searching the MCS arrest report website this afternoon but haven't found any record of anyone whose names we know about yet being in custody. I could have been searching the wrong agency though...

Someone arrested by the Portland Police or the Multnomah County Sheriff would go to the county booking facility in downtown Portland.

ETA: It could take hours for a mugshot to show up online after an arrest.

rosetattoo
06-17-2010, 07:43 PM
I'm on it now,but not seeing her arrest...

http://www.mcso.us/PAID/Default.aspx

If you look at today's arrests, most of them have 3-4 hours between time of arrest and booking. I'm thinking someone arrested recently may not have been booked yet and wouldn't appear in the data base.

dorothyz
06-17-2010, 07:45 PM
I know the public booking log for Multnomah County doesn't update until midnight. But it looks like you might have different access, winterrose.

ETA: here is the link - http://www.mcso.us/public/booking_log.htm

Mandy113
06-17-2010, 07:45 PM
The Sheriff's Office wouldn't have any reason to deny an arrest ... correct ? So I believe this is just a rumor that got out of control.

IMO

6angels
06-17-2010, 07:46 PM
IT'S not true guys.
Why would they post it . Unpost it? Post again not true "per the Sheriff" and post it again tonight.

winterrose
06-17-2010, 07:48 PM
I know the public booking log for Multnomah County doesn't update until midnight. But it looks like you might have different access, winterrose.

I went to thier site,the link is the one after you click persons in booking currently and don't put a name.I just keep refreshing.

gibby207
06-17-2010, 07:48 PM
So, the news sites were snowed by rumor?

mysticrose
06-17-2010, 07:49 PM
IT'S not true guys.
Why would they post it . Unpost it? Post again not true "per the Sheriff" and post it again tonight.

Maybe someone is not in custody yet and they dont want to have them flee or something of that nature

gwenabob
06-17-2010, 07:49 PM

Here is another link that shows mugshots.

RandomThoughts
06-17-2010, 07:50 PM
http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/news/topstories/story/Rumors-swirl-around-Horman-investigation/WPjHVDbfQkulpM6um9gubQ.cspx

PORTLAND, Ore. – The Internet may have made communication and access to information easier (at least more convenient), but www could stand for the Wild Wild West instead of World Wide Web when it comes to verification of rumors.

A sad case in point is a torrent of “news” swirling around the Kyron Horman investigation.

Multiple postings on multiple web sites claim multiple outcomes—some have various people arrested, others have various results to the search for the missing 2nd grader—all of which the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office have denounced

“The social networking sites with Twitter and Facebook, someone posts something and it gets out there,” said Mary Lindstrom with Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office. “There is a rumor out there that Kyron’s been found and someone’s been arrested. No, that has not happened. It’s not true.”

At least now I can show my DD why I refuse to let her be on either of these sites. She doesn't believe that these sites cause more problems than they are worth.

dimples37398
06-17-2010, 07:50 PM
So, the news sites were snowed by rumor?

That does seem very strange huh, I can see if it was posted on a blog or something..But for it to be posted on a new site, and others are hearing the same thing...Almost seems this news station wanted to be the first to report it, but jumped the gun before figuring out all details. If this news station was this quick to post a facebook or twitter rumor, then they may be looking at a lawsuit :o

ElizaAvalon
06-17-2010, 07:51 PM
Purely conjecture: Perhaps SM is sitting under the bright light right now answering questions and they don't want her or anyone around her to know that his body had been found.

Kelly Faraday
06-17-2010, 07:52 PM
They (LE) wouldn't allow the release a false story like that to guage someone's reaction would they?

I actually thought the same thing! However, I don't think so.

I haven't posted on this case although I don't know why since I check in at least every other minute to see if our baby has been found. Alive, hopefully.

The other day I thought how indignant Kyron would probably be at being called a "baby" and had to giggle. God bless our little guy. If this is him I truly hope they get whoever did this.

I know I'm not part of the group, but I would like to wait here for news if that's OK.

Kelly

Kimster
06-17-2010, 07:52 PM
this my friends is why we don't post rumors!

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

squeaky
06-17-2010, 07:53 PM
What I don't understand is why, if this were just a rumor, would the KOIN story substantiate claims regarding the discovery of a body as "according to investigators" ... ? That would imply that whoever wrote the blurb had gained the info from a source more trustworthy than internet chatter. If this really is the result of an internet rumor gone wildly out of control, I will be surprised at the magnitude of it.

DairyGirl
06-17-2010, 07:54 PM
I'm not good at searching arrest bookings - are you guys on it?

I am.

dimples37398
06-17-2010, 07:54 PM
But was it a rumor if we read it on a news website before they pulled the article? If we can't trust the news sites and link here to the news sites without worrying about the articles they post being rumors...then where will we get any information at all?

cutegirltoo
06-17-2010, 07:56 PM

I know I'm not part of the group, but I would like to wait here for news if that's OK.

Kelly

Me too, Kelly.

As a local, refreshing all the local news websites and waiting for a newscast is horrible.

Tricia
06-17-2010, 07:58 PM
When I got the link to the KOIN website and saw the headline I did not hesitate to post a thread here announcing it. When Jbean pointed out to me that when you clicked on the headline the link did not take you to the story we thought it best to remove the thread.

MSNBC will have headlines with no links on brand new breaking news so it does happen that headlines will be put up on news sites with nothing else.

That's why I called and found out it was not true. But I didn't hesitate to put up the headline on Websleuths. I should have and now have learned another lesson.

Someone else from our site called and was told that maybe they had the headline typed and ready to go just in case and it was accidentally put up on the site. That could be true too.

We'll wait and see.

DairyGirl
06-17-2010, 07:59 PM

I like how they don't mention their own incorrect blurb.

Mandy113
06-17-2010, 08:01 PM
I don't understand what's going on. We've all seen the media make mistakes in their reporting. So I would believe the statement from Sheriff's office over a news blurb. Those of you who have followed high profile cases are probably much more familiar with how these things go down. This is all just my opinion and I may be totally wrong.

squeaky
06-17-2010, 08:02 PM
Someone else from our site called and was told that maybe they had the headline typed and ready to go just in case and it was accidentally put up on the site. That could be true too.

Kind of reminds me of back when someone found CNN's stock pile of prepped obituaries...

http://www.snopes.com/humor/graphics/cnnchen.jpg

6angels
06-17-2010, 08:02 PM
When I got the link to the KOIN website and saw the headline I did not hesitate to post a thread here announcing it. When Jbean pointed out to me that when you clicked on the headline the link did not take you to the story we thought it best to remove the thread.

MSNBC will have headlines with no links on brand new breaking news so it does happen that headlines will be put up on news sites with nothing else.

That's why I called and found out it was not true. But I didn't hesitate to put up the headline on Websleuths. I should have and now have learned another lesson.

We'll wait and see.
Tricia I was the other person from here that called.. I talked to them more then once. first time to see if it was true ( Told no and told basically it was mistake typed out etc. They was trying to take it down but could not bc the guy that had typed it out had left.

Called back a couple more times to tell them if it's not true take it down. I let them know how it must effect family and even strangers to read something like this if its not true. Honestly I am heart broken over this. I may need to take a break after today!!

Kelly Faraday
06-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Me too, Kelly.

As a local, refreshing all the local news websites and waiting for a newscast is horrible.

Yes, it is. I am not a local but I have not been able to stay away from this case. I actually wish I had because I no longer believe there is any hope he is coming home safely. I would LOVE to somehow be wrong.

gibby207
06-17-2010, 08:07 PM
So, it could be an "ooops!" or it could be a "wait for it...."

Dee10
06-17-2010, 08:07 PM
I am going to take a wait and see from that statement “There is a rumor out there that Kyron’s been found and someone’s been arrested. No, that has not happened. It’s not true.”LE would not confirm at this time if it was Kyron (unless they have a positive ID), they may confirm a body is found, but they haven't (at this time). As far as an arrest, someone may have been taken in for questioning and officially not yet arrested or they may have chosen not to arrest the person. Too many questions still unfortunately.

STEADFAST
06-17-2010, 08:08 PM
What I don't understand is why, if this were just a rumor, would the KOIN story substantiate claims regarding the discovery of a body as "according to investigators" ... ? That would imply that whoever wrote the blurb had gained the info from a source more trustworthy than internet chatter. If this really is the result of an internet rumor gone wildly out of control, I will be surprised at the magnitude of it.

They might make it sound like they got their info from more reliable sources than they did.
Early in this case, a station in San Diego had Kyron's story on, and a newscaster gave a piece of information at the end, starting with, "Agents say . . . ." It was a piece of information I hadn't heard and would have been very interesting (if true), and I was about to post it, but was waiting for a link from their site. They never put up a link to that segment of their broadcast, even though they linked to all the other segments, and did replay the comment at 1 am.
Well, obviously, "agents" did not give information to a San Diego station that they gave nowhere else. I think the newscaster was just extrapolating from speculation she had read on the internet and got carried away.

mrsjonnob
06-17-2010, 08:09 PM
That poor boy... i have a son who just finished 2nd grade and this just hits too close to home :(

dimples37398
I hope I am wrong in a way, but I just have a sick feeling it is a oops we were suppose to wait to post that...

adnoid
This my friends is why we don't post rumors!...

Accuracy > Scoop

JBean
06-17-2010, 08:11 PM
I hope I am wrong in a way, but I just have a sick feeling it is a oops we were suppose to wait to post that...
and if that should be true, then they have their reasons.

mamaeb
06-17-2010, 08:12 PM
what the heck.
just knowing this was posted on a news site... even if accidental, made me sick :(
Thanks for clarifying, Tricia.

Emma Peel
Is this a mistake or an LE-to-media wink, wink, nudge, nudge?

So much smoke, so little fire.

:truce:

I give up.

Tricia
Tricia I was the other person from here that called.. I talked to them more then once. first time to see if it was true ( Told no and told basically it was mistake typed out etc. They was trying to take it down but could not bc the guy that had typed it out had left.

Called back a couple more times to tell them if it's not true take it down. I let them know how it must effect family and even strangers to read something like this if its not true. Honestly I am heart broken over this. I may need to take a break after today!!

Thank you so much for doing this and reporting back to us. I can't imagine why they couldn't remove it quickly.

dimples37398
06-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Could Le deny it... if they haven't got a positive id on a body(if one was found), even if they were pretty sure it is him?

lightlady
06-17-2010, 08:13 PM
KOIN is getting blasted in the comments on their story blaming internet rumors...

dimples37398
06-17-2010, 08:15 PM
and if that should be true, then they have their reasons.

Completely Agree

westcoast
06-17-2010, 08:16 PM
BTW, facebook and twitter were not the source of the rumor, a blogger on sodahead was and his blog is somehow linked to facebook but is not a facebook page (not sure if i should link it)

Emma Peel
06-17-2010, 08:16 PM
Could Le deny it... if they haven't got a positive id on a body(if one was found), even if they were pretty sure it is him?

absolutely
IMO
lol

I find qualifying my absolutely wtih IMO to be kinda funny, in retrospect.

angelmom
06-17-2010, 08:18 PM
KOIN is getting blasted in the comments on their story blaming internet rumors...

And, sadly, thanks to the fact that nothing is ever truly gone in cyberspace, the google search is still bringing it up even though the story has been removed.

Someone is in big trouble. Either it's true and they really screwed up by leaking it before they were supposed to, or it's not and it's a horrible, worst case scenario mistake.

mom_of_five
06-17-2010, 08:19 PM
So what does everyone think? Just a mistake or jumping the gun (it wasn't supposed to be reported yet)? Either way, I'm still nauseous about seeing it in print. :(

scandi
06-17-2010, 08:19 PM
It is very odd, I started watching the KOIN News exactly on the dot/ No mention of Kyron or his case yet !!! Every other evening it has been the first story covered.

Also driving home a Blackhawk helicopter wasa flying slowly overhead as I turned off Canyon Rd. That is odd too as it isn't a straight shot to PDX, but have seen them do that before as it is a well traveled airway.

xox

chargers2010
06-17-2010, 08:21 PM
I wonder if KOIN got their info from WS. There was a thread on this site this afternoon (it is now deleted) talking about a body being found. I wonder if they took that and ran with it.

Calliope
06-17-2010, 08:21 PM

Did you read the comments? People are ticked off at KOIN and their hypocrisy with this story.

No sense of ethics whatsoever.

CarrieBean
06-17-2010, 08:23 PM
Clarification about Kyron Horman investigation

http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/news/topstories/story/Clarification-about-Kyron-Horman-investigation/EupTkRTBH0GqJ-3RUcaMlA.cspx

kgeaux
06-17-2010, 08:23 PM
Maybe they're not allowed to report it right now and someone jumped the gun.

USA has a free press. LE can ask them not to publicize something, but no part of the media needs permission to post anything.

But was it a rumor if we read it on a news website before they pulled the article? If we can't trust the news sites and link here to the news sites without worrying about the articles they post being rumors...then where will we get any information at all?

If the news website removes the post, states that it was an error, quotes LE as saying it is not true, then at that point I can only treat it as a rumor. If anything changes, I'll go with it, but right now there doesn't seem to be anything to hang a "Fact Hat" on.

Personally, the only facts I have to use in this case----in any case, actually----are those confirmed by LE. If they don't say it, I don't buy it.

violet67
06-17-2010, 08:24 PM
holy smokes! just got home from school and find this! what is it with this case and rumours?????!

indicat
I really won't be surprised if they just have this headline all ready just in case it happens. I just don't believe if there were really anything to know they would sit on the information even per LE. News is about the buisness of being first with the scoop and I'll bet they just have this sitting and ready to put up and up it went by mistake.

mrsu
<nevermind>

:)

darlin gal
06-17-2010, 08:26 PM
[/URL] KOIN'S Apology
[url]http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/news/topstories/story/Clarification-about-Kyron-Horman-investigation/EupTkRTBH0GqJ-3RUcaMlA.cspx (javascript:void(0))

6angels
06-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Did you read the comments? People are ticked off at KOIN and their hypocrisy with this story.

No sense of ethics whatsoever.
Yes I read them I agree with them.

If this is true ( BIG IF) and they DID report it to fast then they SHOULD be ashemed of themself. Think of the family . Kyrons little friends . ANYONE close to him that could of read it before being told by the Sheriff.

I CANT Imagine. How it would effect family or friends. I am a stranger across the world from them but yet it had me in tears and so upset I had to walk away and calm down. Just think if it would of been one of Kyron's friends that some how read it.

IF it's true the family and friends need to be told in a way other then a news website before it goes public.

darlin gal
06-17-2010, 08:28 PM
After a week of rumors following the scaled back search for Kyron Horman, the Multnomah County Sheriff's office speaks out on KXL about these false claims and how it affects the family. KXL's Chris Brown talked with Lieutenant Mary Lindstrand in this online exclusive:

Listen at the link: http://www.kxl.com/pages/7493973.php

scandi
06-17-2010, 08:29 PM
Me too, Kelly.

5:30pm and nothing on the 5 - 5;30 NEWSCAST about Kyron. VERY ODD

mom_of_five
06-17-2010, 08:30 PM
“There is a rumor out there that Kyron’s been found and someone’s been arrested. No, that has not happened. It’s not true.” <--- copied and pasted from an earlier post (can't guarantee those are LE's actual words).

Technically, this sentence has two parts (Kyron's been found) and (someone's been arrested). Therefore, if ONE portion isn't true, LE wouldn't be lying to say "it's not true".

Just thinking out loud...

CarrieBean
06-17-2010, 08:30 PM
After a week of rumors following the scaled back search for Kyron Horman, the Multnomah County Sheriff's office speaks out on KXL about these false claims and how it affects the family. KXL's Chris Brown talked with Lieutenant Mary Lindstrand in this online exclusive:

Listen at the link: http://www.kxl.com/pages/7493973.php

The video is here as well. On the right side of the page.

http://www.koinlocal6.com/default.aspx

BeanE
06-17-2010, 08:33 PM
I'm horrified. Just speechless.

Whether it's true, or untrue, this little boy was used and disrespected in a horrible way. He should mean more, to all of us.

http://www.flashalertnewswire.net/images/news/2010-06/1276/36017/Pic26.jpg

God bless you, Kyron. I'm sorry isn't enough.

dimples37398
06-17-2010, 08:33 PM
So they would have had it typed up already and with the part about the SM being arrested, they have no clue if she is the one that would be arrested or not. So do they type up stories a head of time for every different scenario that might possibly happen?

Quiche
06-17-2010, 08:34 PM
I wonder if the "journalist" who posted that story was prepared to walk off the job for good? Terribly irresponsible... shouldn't have a desk in the morning, imo. :furious:

cluciano63
06-17-2010, 08:35 PM
If he/she was a real journalist, they would never go home with a story breaking...

chargers2010
06-17-2010, 08:37 PM
KOIN posting falsely about Kyron's body being found followed soon after there was a thread here on WS about Kyron's body being found. It makes me think that KOIN wanted to be the first to publish such info and didn't check with LE first. Very strange all together.

STEADFAST
06-17-2010, 08:38 PM
If he/she was a real journalist, they would never go home with a story breaking...

You're right. It could be a bitter employee's way of saying, "I quit."

lonetraveler
06-17-2010, 08:39 PM
I may need to admit my damn self in the Hospital after all this. I am litterly shaking.

I know exactly how you feel. I've been trying to deliberately staying off of this thread because I don't think I can take another little child case but here I am. I've checked on updates since Kyron has been missing. Too heartbreaking to follow missing children. I don't know why I do this to myself.

JBean
06-17-2010, 08:40 PM
IF IF this story has any truth to it, then LE did not want it known and that needs to be respected. if someone blabbed about something they saw they broke the cardinal rule of being a searcher. Many posters here have participated in searches and they know full well they should not say anything.
I hope this is a cruel hoax and not someone taking it upon themselves to jeopardize and undermine a search. Those of you with friends in this search remind them to keep what they know to themselves if they start to tell you anything!
Of course my first hope is that Kyron is alive.

scandi
06-17-2010, 08:40 PM
So they would have had it typed up already and with the part about the SM being arrested, they have no clue if she is the one that would be arrested or not. So do they type up stories a head of time for every different scenario that might possibly happen?

I think so Dimples. Yesterday when I called KOIN she told me they use a new script for each show.

raeann
06-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Why would they have 2 pieces of bad information...body found AND arrest made and post both without verifying? That seems odd, almost as though they had a story ready and just ran it too soon? They (KOIN) believe that the two things will happen and happen simultaneosly, more or less?

What story?....there was no story with the link and the headline on KOIN said NOTHING about any arrest. That is just a rumor piled on a rumor.

6angels
06-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Atleast this is a "start"

Let's ALL learn from this. RUMORS ARE BAD!!! ( I am going to tell myself this over and over as if I was a two year old bc apparantly LOTS of us needs to learn that leason. Me included as I let it get me so upset)

http://www.koinlocal6.com/news/local/story/Clarification-about-Kyron-Horman-investigation/EupTkRTBH0GqJ-3RUcaMlA.cspx
KOINLocal6.com regrets the false posting on our website that Kyron Horman had been found. We apologize for the obvious emotional stress that this posting created. The posting was the result of internal miscommunication, and should not have occurred. This incident has prompted additional internal polices to prevent further occurrences.

JBean
06-17-2010, 08:43 PM
KOIN posting falsely about Kyron's body being found followed soon after there was a thread here on WS about Kyron's body being found. It makes me think that KOIN wanted to be the first to publish such info and didn't check with LE first. Very strange all together.
There were tweets and rumors everywhere. That thread was clearly marked as a rumor and was pulled as soon as possible.
But it reinforces what we have been saying all along and have been taking so much flack and nasty emails about.
Please don't post rumors.

STEADFAST
06-17-2010, 08:43 PM
What story?....there was no story with the link and the headline on KOIN said NOTHING about any arrest. That is just a rumor piled on a rumor.

Thank you for pointing this out, raeann.

mom_of_five
06-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Those mentioning that KOIN's 5pm broadcast said nothing at all about Kyron: what about other local stations?

BeanE
06-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Atleast this is a "start"

Let's ALL learn from this. RUMORS ARE BAD!!! ( I am going to tell myself this over and over as if I was a two year old bc apparantly LOTS of us needs to learn that leason. Me included as I let it get me so upset)

http://www.koinlocal6.com/news/local/story/Clarification-about-Kyron-Horman-investigation/EupTkRTBH0GqJ-3RUcaMlA.cspx
KOINLocal6.com regrets the false posting on our website that Kyron Horman had been found. We apologize for the obvious emotional stress that this posting created. The posting was the result of internal miscommunication, and should not have occurred. This incident has prompted additional internal polices to prevent further occurrences.

Thank you, 6angels. Let's all do our part to ensure that Kyron is not disrespected in this horrifying way again. No more rumors.

dorothyz
06-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Those mentioning that KOIN's 5pm broadcast said nothing at all about Kyron: what about other local stations?

I caught the beginning of KGW's 5:00 newscast. Their first story was about scammers taking advantage of the situation and setting up fake donation funds. I left before they moved onto any other news about it.

6angels
06-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Thank you, 6angels. Let's all do our part to ensure that Kyron is not disrespected in this horrifying way again. No more rumors.
I feel HORRIABLE for even pming a mod about this and feel like I got it started here. UGH I feel REALLY BAD . I am going to go and take another break and will be back later but yes good leason to learn unfortunally we may learn a leason but there has been people hurt by the rumors.

scandi
06-17-2010, 08:55 PM
I caught the beginning of KGW's 5:00 newscast. Their first story was about scammers taking advantage of the situation and setting up fake donation funds. I left before they moved onto any other news about it.

Thanks Dorothyz, It was 5:01 when I turned it on so must have missed that. About 8 min into their 5:30 to 6pm broadcast they did report on the case in general. No mention of the feau de pas ;}

nas212913
06-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Uh-oh. WS is getting thrown into the finger pointing.

http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/news/topstories/story/Rumors-swirl-around-Horman-investigation/WPjHVDbfQkulpM6um9gubQ.cspx?p=Comments

sofia76
06-17-2010, 08:57 PM
What the heck ... How could that end up on a website? All I can think is: newbie manning the website hit Publish button in error as they tried out different mock headlines. Or it is a mental manipulation on part of powers that be (PTB).

JBean
06-17-2010, 08:58 PM

http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/news/topstories/story/Rumors-swirl-around-Horman-investigation/WPjHVDbfQkulpM6um9gubQ.cspx?p=Comments

:floorlaugh:

I should post all the nasty pm's, emails, and rude posts to me for not allowing rumors :floorlaugh: oh nice try by that person but forget it.

My response yesterday when someone asked if they could post information from people near a SAR search.

2 reasons we frown on that:
1. We have no idea if the information is accurate(no offense to you LOL)
2. It may hinder the investigation by revealing things that should not be posted. LE will actually ask us to remove information if we put something up that should not be made public.

That poster graciously abided by the rule even though her information was not sensitive.

AbbieNormal
06-17-2010, 09:03 PM
[/URL] KOIN'S Apology
[url]http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/news/topstories/story/Clarification-about-Kyron-Horman-investigation/EupTkRTBH0GqJ-3RUcaMlA.cspx (javascript:void(0))

In other words, someones unemployed at KOIN tonight, I guess.

indicat
06-17-2010, 09:05 PM
In other words, someones unemployed at KOIN tonight, I guess.

I hope so, this is inexcusable. And then for someone to comment that it came from us, hahaha, if we are THEIR news source they need some serious adjustments.

Reality Orlando
06-17-2010, 09:06 PM

Often, yes. That way they can scoop a story once it's released. Most large newspapers also have obits prewritten on most famous people as well...this way they can just add current info and run. I worked part time for a newspaper during the hurricanes here in Florida a few years back and we had numerous stories written and pages laid out with blanks for pics and local coverage just in case we were out of electricity (which happened) and we had to put the paper "to bed" on generators (which happened).

lillygator
06-17-2010, 09:07 PM
I m thinking there may be some truth to this but LE did not want anything leaked up to this point.

fhc
06-17-2010, 09:10 PM
iirc, wasn't KOIN the news agency that reported 'the family truck was towed according to investigators' ?

surrogatemom
06-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Nice. I turned the TV on at 6pm to watch KOIN and not a word was said about Kyron's case in the first 3 minutes (I then gave up and turned it to KGW). Like my husband said, are they keeping mum because of their mess up? Hmm. :/

Ms Suzanne
06-17-2010, 09:12 PM
I m thinking there may be some truth to this but LE did not want anything leaked up to this point.
I was actually thinking this too.

mommya
06-17-2010, 09:22 PM
Someone here said they heard this rumor as early as last night - then someone said it happened this morning - then someone said it "just" happened...

That can't all be true - it's gotta be just a rumor.

kgeaux
06-17-2010, 09:24 PM
I'm horrified. Just speechless.

Whether it's true, or untrue, this little boy was used and disrespected in a horrible way. He should mean more, to all of us.

http://www.flashalertnewswire.net/images/news/2010-06/1276/36017/Pic26.jpg

God bless you, Kyron. I'm sorry isn't enough.

You are so right. How terribly disrespectful to this child to publish that story.

I personally think that posting rumors ANYWHERE that others can read it is disrespectful to victims, and I certainly hope that if anything positive is to come out of this that people won't be so quick to post unconfirmed information as fact. I'm not talking about here on WS as much as the internet as a whole.

iirc, wasn't KOIN the news agency that reported 'the family truck was towed according to investigators' ?

I think you're right. They are about to get the same reputation as some of the other 'sensationalist rags' that publish stuff like an alien was seen visiting world leaders.....

mom_of_five
06-17-2010, 09:27 PM
I'm surprised the other local news stations aren't pointing out KOIN's 'mess-up'....

Juliana
06-17-2010, 09:28 PM
You are so right. How terribly disrespectful to this child to publish that story.

I personally think that posting rumors ANYWHERE that others can read it is disrespectful to victims, and I certainly hope that if anything positive is to come out of this that people won't be so quick to post unconfirmed information as fact. I'm not talking about here on WS as much as the internet as a whole.

I think you're right. They are about to get the same reputation as some of the other 'sensationalist rags' that publish stuff like an alien was seen visiting world leaders.....

I have been unable to post on this subject as this little boy has touched my heart. He looks just like my son did at that age (just a year or two ago). Let me tell you there is something so vulnerable and sweet about Kyron. I cannot stand the thought of anyone hurting him. I'm just sick about this whole thing and just can't let go of hope that someone has him and he will be returned safely. I hope so.

Kelly Faraday
06-17-2010, 09:31 PM
This story feels true, for lack of a better way of putting it. Maybe because I've been preparing myself for it. I wouldn't be surprised if we get an announcement in the next few hours that he has been found. I cannot imagine this was reported simply because some so-called journalist read a rumor on a msg board. Puleeze!

I still refuse to believe the SM or any family member is involved. I just can't go there yet.

K

cj1132
06-17-2010, 09:32 PM
I'm surprised the other local news stations aren't pointing out KOIN's 'mess-up'....

I would hope that the other editors would realize that this could possibly add more fuel to the fire. IMO, it's best that they just let it go. JMO

kgeaux
06-17-2010, 09:33 PM
I have been unable to post on this subject as this little boy has touched my heart. He looks just like my son did at that age (just a year or two ago). Let me tell you there is something so vulnerable and sweet about Kyron. I cannot stand the thought of anyone hurting him. I'm just sick about this whole thing and just can't let go of hope that someone has him and he will be returned safely. I hope so.

I'm right there with you, Juliana. My son, who is now 30, looked so much like Kyron when he was 7 that I felt the blood drain from my head when I saw the first picture of this little boy. I love the innocence and joy he shows in so many pictures, and it is incomprehensible to me that someone would hurt him.

One of the things that disturbed me so much about this "faux pas" is that if Kyron is alive and being held, how terrible it would be to see or hear that the world has written him off.

Ms Suzanne
06-17-2010, 09:35 PM
This story feels true, for lack of a better way of putting it. Maybe because I've been preparing myself for it. I wouldn't be surprised if we get an announcement in the next few hours that he has been found. I cannot imagine this was reported simply because some so-called journalist read a rumor on a msg board. Puleeze!

I still refuse to believe the SM or any family member is involved. I just can't go there yet.

K
Yes,Maybe we'll hear something by morning.True or not I pray they find Kyron soon.

BeanE
06-17-2010, 09:36 PM

Yes indeed. They're off my list of credible sources.

Tricia
06-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Our moderators do an amazing job of keeping Websleuths a respectable and the go to forum for information.

Rumors like this hurt everyone's credibility.

Of course there will always be people who blame Websleuths when in reality the rumor was literally everywhere else first like Jbean stated.

I would like to do away with rumors but, especially when locals are posting here, it's hard to limit the conversation that much.

We do our best to make sure malicious rumors do not get posted on Websleuths. We want to try and change the misconception that discussion forums are out of control rumor mills. Not true.

We'll wait and see. I think we all had our hearts in our throats for a while this afternoon.

Thanks everyone for being here and being a part of Websleuths.

Tricia Griffith
Owner/Websleuths.com

gogrannypop
06-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Apparently many of us have someone in our life that reminds us of Kyron. My hubbies nephew is one. I pray every day that this beautiful child is brought home. I cannot imagine the horror of having a child missing. I just want to hug everyone involved.

smart blonde
06-17-2010, 09:41 PM
DEWEY WINS! ~ DEWEY DEFEATS TRUMAN!

It wasn't true, but it was still the (inaccurate) newspaper headline following the 1948 presidential election. A big, fat, glaring 'oops'.

The media has been known to get it wrong even before the creation of the Internet.

I imagine that if -or- when there is an announcement that Kyron has been found, the most reliable source will be from the Sheriff's Office itself, as in a press conference.

God bless you, Kyron, wherever you are. People are working hard to bring you home.

Claudette
06-17-2010, 09:42 PM

That's dumb. The only person to blame is the idiot that posted that false story. WS is a place of discussion with many many members, different types of people with a huge variety of personalities. To blame this on WS is ridiculous. MOO that I'm sure will be shared by many :crazy:

slapithigh
06-17-2010, 09:43 PM
I can't even wrap my head around this....

Claudette
06-17-2010, 09:45 PM
:floorlaugh:

I should post all the nasty pm's, emails, and rude posts to me for not allowing rumors :floorlaugh: oh nice try by that person but forget it.

I have to admit, I didn't agree with you before on that. I have completely changed my mind, now that I see what a cluster it causes.

Kelly Faraday
06-17-2010, 09:45 PM

Yes,Maybe we'll hear something by morning.True or not I pray they find Kyron soon.

Agreed, Ms Suzanne.

I don't think I'll sleep much tonight.

Love & Prayers to our sweet boy Kyron and to his family, friends and all who love and miss him.

K

AbbieNormal
06-17-2010, 09:48 PM
I honestly don't know how many more times my heart can take looking at this precious child's picture. Even if I didn't know he was lost, I would want to reach out and just give him a big hug. Knowing he's lost just baffles me how anyone could possibly cause harm to such a wonderful little boy. Whoever caused him to be missing, may they experience the worst LE has to offer. I am thinking that prison in Peru is too good for whoever it is.
Of course, sad reality is, an atty will be appointed at no charge if the person is indigent, jail and or prison will be a cake walk compared to Peru's facilities, and after awhile, whoever is responsible will adjust to prison life and will be just fine. Makes me absolutely sick.

Wendy101
06-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Well all that this accidential headline told me is that KION news theory is Kyron is deseased and that the SM will be arrested for it... they prepared for the story in advance maybe?

I honestly don't think that reporter from there purposefully intented to do what was done. Atleast I hope not...

Claudette
06-17-2010, 09:52 PM
DEWEY WINS! ~ DEWEY DEFEATS TRUMAN!

It wasn't true, but it was still the (inaccurate) newspaper headline following the 1948 presidential election. A big, fat, glaring 'oops'.

The media has been known to get it wrong even before the creation of the Internet.

I imagine that if -or- when there is an announcement that Kyron has been found, the most reliable source will be from the Sheriff's Office itself, as in a press conference.

God bless you, Kyron, wherever you are. People are working hard to bring you home.

YES. I literally LOLed when I saw you wrote that. My degree has a minor in Journalism and that example was almost literally burned into our heads. Anyone with any background of any sort in Journalism is taught that false information is a carnal sin. I don't care if you school in New York City, or some small town in the cornfields like I was.

scandi
06-17-2010, 09:54 PM
Yes indeed. They're off my list of credible sources.
Hi BeanE, I don't think one bad apple in the bunch warrants crossing KOIN off my news sites watched. Yes, they made an unforgivable error. At the last part of their broadcast tonight they apologized for this error, told what had happened and that they have taken steps to correct it from happening again.

Ya know, I think there is a lot of different facets of this case coming together now for LE and things are starting to paint a true picture of what happened to Kyron and where he was put. It has nothing to do with a body being found, just an accumulation of facts coming together right now. This is just what I think, my opinion. I'd wager the case is about to break wide open !!!

JBean
06-17-2010, 09:56 PM
I have to admit, I didn't agree with you before on that. I have completely changed my mind, now that I see what a cluster it causes.
Claudette, thank you very much. I truly appreciate that.

awakewriter
06-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Often, yes. That way they can scoop a story once it's released. Most large newspapers also have obits prewritten on most famous people as well...this way they can just add current info and run. I worked part time for a newspaper during the hurricanes here in Florida a few years back and we had numerous stories written and pages laid out with blanks for pics and local coverage just in case we were out of electricity (which happened) and we had to put the paper "to bed" on generators (which happened).

It's common for obits, yes, but the policy in most newsrooms is "Do not put anything in print that you would not want published."

(This includes inaccuracies, assumptions, and jokes.)

For instance, one would never add to a prewritten obituary "Lions Club member," under the assumption the person might join the Lions Club before he dies.

~greeneyedgirl~
06-17-2010, 10:06 PM

I can't see them doing that as then they too are putting this out there kwim?
That would mean the other stations are bringing attention to the garbage that KOIN is putting out there.

akashana
06-17-2010, 10:07 PM
I hope so, this is inexcusable. And then for someone to comment that it came from us, hahaha, if we are THEIR news source they need some serious adjustments.

MY BOLD

Whachoo talkin' 'bout? WS is my news source! LOL

SleuthyGal
06-17-2010, 10:12 PM
If CNN publishes it then it's 99.99% true. That's usually my 'go-to' source of real news vs. wild rumor.

AlmostGone
06-17-2010, 10:16 PM
IMHO this rumor was started about kyron was for selfish sick gain. I log in here every day a few times a day around my daily life. Heck, sometimes if I'm on my android phone I fall asleep reading here late at night . Certainly I don't come here in hopes of a child to be found dead. I do however come here in hopes of reading about someone finding a child VERY ALIVE. Sorry if this post was rude.

MOO MOO MOO MOO

jhol74
06-17-2010, 10:21 PM
I have nothing useful to add to this thread I just wanted a place to express my sincere heartache. I think about this poor boy day and night. There are so many rumors and theories but it seems the truth is that no one has any clue what happened to him.

It is so difficult to keep faith when things like this happen and what happened to little Ethan. I feel like a terrible person for questioning my faith but it's so hard to hold on to when these innocent babies are taken in such a horrid way. WHY???! :( I just don't understand...

krazyfingerzz
06-17-2010, 10:30 PM
YES. I literally LOLed when I saw you wrote that. My degree has a minor in Journalism and that example was almost literally burned into our heads. Anyone with any background of any sort in Journalism is taught that false information is a carnal sin. I don't care if you school in New York City, or some small town in the cornfields like I was.

A cardinal sin it definitely is (and though I did do my degree in writing in NYC, it's the rule of thumb everywhere, even for the kids). It's funny how we know this but the seasoned pros don't, or have forgotten. Perhaps it's because we are parents or simply caring people who feel for the real people living these horrible stories. They aren't just stories, but the raw, painful and terrifying things affecting real people. If this is killing us, complete strangers, how must the Hormans feel? I don't know what I would do if I saw something like that when my child was missing. Kyron is not just a headline. He's a little boy, missing and, quite possibly, worse. I've seen such horrible reporting across the board from most of those news sites...either incorrect facts, typos, and utter speculation, not to mention sensationalism. I'd love to believe that they are all playing along to an unknown script written by a very cunning LE, but I doubt that. I could care less about journalists probing into the private affairs of stars, but capitalizing on the suffering of innocent children and their families is unforgivable.

Off my rant now. I pray that I am never in this situation and hope the Hormans and their friends stay well away from the Internet.

KeenEyes
06-17-2010, 10:49 PM
SBM
...I should post all the nasty pm's, emails, and rude posts to me for not allowing rumors :floorlaugh: oh nice try by that person but forget it...

WS is certainly a place that provokes strong and differing opinion; it is to be expected, but "nasty" and "rude" communication is inappropriate and unnecessary ESPECIALLY TO ADMINS AND MODS. I'm appalled to hear this. I would hope that an opposing point of view could be presented with one's most persuasive argument and then left to stand on its own. In turn, it should be received with fair-mindedness. Foul words and attitudes aren't going to bring someone around; quite the opposite. It is not legitimate rhetoric, especially among compatriots such as ourselves.

Billylee
06-17-2010, 10:52 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/rumor_mill_in_kyron_horman_dis.html

If this has already been posted I apologize.

WhyaDuck?
06-17-2010, 10:55 PM
This situation reminds me of the Trenton Duckett case, in which some think a rumour/report about his body being found is what perhaps led to his mother's suicide, IIRC.

Can not imagine what it would be like to read a headline like that out of the blue, only to have it repealed, etc. Heartbreaking, discombobulating... A nightmare of misinformation.

Claudette
06-17-2010, 11:05 PM
SBM

WS is certainly a place that provokes strong and differing opinion; it is to be expected, but "nasty" and "rude" communication is inappropriate and unnecessary ESPECIALLY TO ADMINS AND MODS. I'm appalled to hear this. I would hope that an opposing point of view could be presented with one's most persuasive argument and then left to stand on its own. In turn, it should be received with fair-mindedness. Foul words and attitudes aren't going to bring someone around; quite the opposite. It is not legitimate rhetoric, especially among compatriots such as ourselves.

Agreed. Not sure if you were implying this or not, but just want to point out I was not one of those people sending the nasty-grams. I have more class than that.

cj1132
06-17-2010, 11:12 PM
I sometimes wonder what some of the true news people of the past would think if they were alive to see what is going on with the "news." IIRC, they had to get 3 sources before it could be put on TV or radio. Then again, it was a much slower moving world without cable or internet.

WhyaDuck?
06-17-2010, 11:15 PM
I sometimes wonder what some of the true news people of the past would think if they were alive to see what is going on with the "news." IIRC, they had to get 3 sources before it could be put on TV or radio. Then again, it was a much slower moving world without cable or internet.

Yes - the 24 hour news industry is a different world from those times. The ever-hungry information craving makes everything a bit shoddier, it seems - only, before, it was an increase in typos. Now this. Somebody better reign something in.

Teenie
06-17-2010, 11:19 PM
Hi again. First, thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I am still trying to get the hang of things here. I found an interesting link, and am unsure if anyone has posted it or if it is ok to post. It is the Snohomish County (Washington) Daily Booking register. Can I post this link? Or, has it already been posted here for discussion?

Just wanted to double check. Could be nothing at all.

Thank you in advance!

cluciano63
06-17-2010, 11:20 PM
We should be used to poor reporting by now, we see it on every case and this one has had it from the start. I would hope LE knows enough to warn the family to avoid all news sites for now.
Innocent family members have enough to contend with as it is, but if they are not getting info from LE either, I could see them trying to find out anything at all from the internet...

pufnstuf
06-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Teenie, check the rumor thread. Kimster is on top of it.

JBean
06-17-2010, 11:22 PM
Hi again. First, thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I am still trying to get the hang of things here. I found an interesting link, and am unsure if anyone has posted it or if it is ok to post. It is the Snohomish County (Washington) Daily Booking register. Can I post this link? Or, has it already been posted here for discussion?

Just wanted to double check. Could be nothing at all.

Thank you in advance!
teenie we are trying to confirm the relationship. thanks for your caution.

cluciano63
06-17-2010, 11:22 PM
You know, this was bound to happen, an explosion of rumors, with so little (or no) true info being released. People can't stand not knowing what is going on in a case like this, right or wrong.

gibby207
06-17-2010, 11:23 PM
I also think that in the new age of technology, the scoop beats the headlines often. It only takes 1 person willing to spill the beans, and then 3, and then 6, etc. It possible this jumped the gun a bit, as it was clear by MCSO that they only place to hear the next news would be that red alert area. Now, if it was false, I'm ashamed that the Portland news station would be so inconsiderate.

gibby207
06-17-2010, 11:23 PM
Teenie, check the rumor thread. Kimster is on top of it.

Rumor thread? Basement? hmmm... I'm off! :D

LadyL
06-17-2010, 11:27 PM
If CNN publishes it then it's 99.99% true. That's usually my 'go-to' source of real news vs. wild rumor.

I thought that way too until recently - check the Joran Van Der Sloot (re: Dave Holloway/Steph Watts blog) thread for a bit of a kerfluffle regarding CNN's accuracy ...

I feel so bad for all the families of missing children ... coping is difficult enough without the added stress of incidents like this.

gibby207
06-17-2010, 11:27 PM
Oh... I've missed a lot. And I'm in WA, and I wanna know.:furious:

cluciano63
06-17-2010, 11:29 PM
I don't take CNN as good for news either...
I have to go by NBC/ABC or CBS pretty much. CNN has messed up and is affialited with HLN which is notoriously inaccurate...

SleuthyGal
06-17-2010, 11:32 PM
I don't recall CNN ever posting a story that someone was deceased when they weren't or that a missing person was found when they weren't. So by the time that CNN reports that a person is deceased it's been out 'n about on other sites but they waited for confirmation. At least they did in the past.

cj1132
06-17-2010, 11:34 PM
I used to believe most of what I heard on TV as far as news -- then I found WS. Unfortunately, there are many people who think the same as I did.

s_finch
06-17-2010, 11:35 PM
Oh... I've missed a lot. And I'm in WA, and I wanna know.:furious:

And I'm wanting you to know.... :innocent:

LadyL
06-17-2010, 11:43 PM
I don't recall CNN ever posting a story that someone was deceased when they weren't or that a missing person was found when they weren't. So by the time that CNN reports that a person is deceased it's been out 'n about on other sites but they waited for confirmation. At least they did in the past.

would you agree that stating in print that they spoke to someone if they did not and publishing something that he supposedly said when he didn't speak to them at all is unnacceptable?

hypothetically speaking, since I don't want to get into specifics and definitely don't want to go on a search for links :D

KeenEyes
06-18-2010, 12:17 AM
Agreed. Not sure if you were implying this or not, but just want to point out I was not one of those people sending the nasty-grams. I have more class than that.

No, not at all! I included your quote because it contained JBean's, which I was directly addressing, and because it was an example of both not sharing a view and conceding a change of heart—WITH THE UTMOST CLASS. I apologize if I caused you even a moment of discomfort. It did not occur to me that my post might be perceived this way, and I am grateful to you for the opportunity to clarify it.

curiousmind
06-18-2010, 12:32 AM
Wow.......that is all I can say for now.

curiousmind
06-18-2010, 12:32 AM
Where did everyone go???

MsFacetious
06-18-2010, 02:21 AM
“There is a rumor out there that Kyron’s been found and someone’s been arrested. No, that has not happened. It’s not true.” <--- copied and pasted from an earlier post (can't guarantee those are LE's actual words).

Technically, this sentence has two parts (Kyron's been found) and (someone's been arrested). Therefore, if ONE portion isn't true, LE wouldn't be lying to say "it's not true".

Just thinking out loud...

This was my thought exactly.

If they had said "Neither one of those things are true." Or broken them up and said twice... "that is not true" and "that is not true either"... that would be different.

But technically if they have a body that is not identified, saying "No that has not happened" wouldn't be a lie...even if there HAD been an arrest. The portion not true could simply be that they don't have a confirmed ID on a body, so they technically have not found the body.

It would be odd though... I am trying to remember a case that was still this new... where the body being found wasn't released until there was an ID. :waitasec:

scandi
06-18-2010, 02:32 AM
Now this takes the cake !!

Watching the 11 O'Clock News on KOIN I heard this and wrote it down almost verbatim. After telling about the wild rumors of the afternoon with a body being found, etc, the news co-host said:

'Searching your info thru a regular media news site will help you with the accuracy of your information'

:D:D:D :banghead:.

Kimster
06-18-2010, 02:37 AM

Watching the 11 O'Clock News on KOIN I heard this and wrote it down almost verbatim. After telling about the wild rumors of the afternoon with a body being found, etc, the news co-host said:

'Searching your info thru a regular media news site will help you with the accuracy of your information'

That's like the politicians who say "don't confuse me with the facts".

surrogatemom
06-18-2010, 03:20 AM

I saw that and was rolling my eyes. Notice how they went on and on about people posting about this case on FB and Twitter? AND THEN they went on to apologize for their internal miscommunication? I told my husband they were just blaming us, with having talking about the rumors and then apologizing for their mess. :waitasec:

Calliope
06-18-2010, 03:56 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/debbie5942/ironymeter-1.gif

6angels
06-18-2010, 04:34 AM
I find it strange after all of the Drama today the Sheriff or ANYONE from the office addressed the rumors about the Step mom being involved.. They was fast to say his body was not found and that noone had been arrested but did not address the other giant rumor that SM was involved. That was odd to me. They could of said she currently was not a POI Or something.

DairyGirl
06-18-2010, 04:47 AM
I find it strange after all of the Drama today the Sheriff or ANYONE from the office addressed the rumors about the Step mom being involved.. They was fast to say his body was not found and that noone had been arrested but did not address the other giant rumor that SM was involved. That was odd to me. They could of said she currently was not a POI Or something.

I don't think they can say that. They said they haven't cleared anyone. I guess that still stands.

6angels
06-18-2010, 04:55 AM
I don't think they can say that. They said they haven't cleared anyone. I guess that still stands.
Right but it just felt strange to me. I guess I just wish even though I know they can not that they would of some how gave us more info

CharlestonGal
06-18-2010, 05:33 AM

At this point, I don't think LE or the family cares what is being speculated in this case. The one sure way to halt speculation is to provide accurate information about that which is being speculated upon in order to get everyone on the same page. At this point, LE and the family are both avoiding the press and don't appear very interested in clearing up any speculation or misinformation. Nor do they have to, really.

Maybe it's useful to the investigation for SM to appear to be the prime suspect in the minds of the press and the public right now.

arielilane
06-18-2010, 06:21 AM
It's so true the old saying...
Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see.

Just like how do you tell if a politician Is lying?
Their lips are moving.

Honestly, my opinion is TMZ is quite creditable. The rest of them have an agenda.

Bring sweet Kyron home soon!

oceanblueeyes
06-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Has the Associated Press come out with this so called news?

IMO

BetteDavisEyes
06-18-2010, 09:04 AM
Good morning, good peeps.
I stuck with this story as long as I could last night, but the 3-hour time difference got the better of me, and I couldn't stay up any longer :)

This is a little OT on the subject of Kyron but very much in line with the discussion of rumor vs. fact in news reporting. My DH reminded me of something last night while he was watching golf as I was reading WS and telling him about "developments" in the case. It was the 16th anniversary of the infamous chase of the white Bronco - O.J. Simpson. This was before most folks had cell phones or internet access, Blackberries, texting, FaceBook, Tweeting, blogging, etc.

While millions watched the Bronco episode live on assorted news channels, there was really very little commentary other than the interpretations from anchors. Can you imagine what it would have been like if the public had become involved with any of the above-mentioned options for instant communication and the plethora of rumors and innuendo that would have ensued?

OT, I know, but this is a new era in "news" reporting, and everyone wants to get the story out there fast, furious, and first. jmo

debs
06-18-2010, 09:06 AM
Has the Associated Press come out with this so called news?

IMO

No, KOIN issued a retraction and said it was an internal issue, which has been corrected. They further apologized for the distress this incident caused.

'it' happens.

Bee Charmer
06-18-2010, 09:39 AM
Good morning, good peeps.
I stuck with this story as long as I could last night, but the 3-hour time difference got the better of me, and I couldn't stay up any longer :)

This is a little OT on the subject of Kyron but very much in line with the discussion of rumor vs. fact in news reporting. My DH reminded me of something last night while he was watching golf as I was reading WS and telling him about "developments" in the case. It was the 16th anniversary of the infamous chase of the white Bronco - O.J. Simpson. This was before most folks had cell phones or internet access, Blackberries, texting, FaceBook, Tweeting, blogging, etc.

While millions watched the Bronco episode live on assorted news channels, there was really very little commentary other than the interpretations from anchors. Can you imagine what it would have been like if the public had become involved with any of the above-mentioned options for instant communication and the plethora of rumors and innuendo that would have ensued?

OT, I know, but this is a new era in "news" reporting, and everyone wants to get the story out there fast, furious, and first. jmo

Even then, in the "dark ages" of communications, lol, people took to the roads surrounding the highway Simpson was on and even had banners on the overpasses waving him on. I will never forget that scene.

Jetaime
06-18-2010, 10:39 AM
I hope to dear God it was a terrible error on their part, but something tells me there's more to this..
Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but it's quite odd to me that there was no news reported yesterday ( Note all previous reporting dates)

http://www.flashalert.net/news.html?id=1276

:(

lillygator
06-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Even then, in the "dark ages" of communications, lol, people took to the roads surrounding the highway Simpson was on and even had banners on the overpasses waving him on. I will never forget that scene.

neither will I and on Wednesday night ESPN replayed the whole thing...seriously, where was the cop shooting out a tire? It was a ridiculous STUNT on OJ's part....I bet now that would NEVER happen, you want to kill yourself - go ahead, we are not following you home, nor televising it.

I am waiting to see what is reported today.

Emma Peel
06-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Maybe we can call the report and retract tactics on this case "white truck syndrome" or something.

I expect LE will be forced to hold a PC soon...

snowshuze
06-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Well alrighty then. :(

http://www.aolnews.com/crime/article/kyron-hormans-stepmom-terri-moulton-horman-under-scrutiny-in-missing-child-case/19521940?ncid=webmail
(June 18) -- The search for missing 7-year-old Kyron Horman (http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/no-sign-of-missing-7-year-old-oregon-boy-kyron-horman/19507891) is now focused on the boy's stepmother, Terri Moulton Horman, who was the last person to see Kyron before he vanished.