PDA

View Full Version : 3 Weeks Later, Why No Community Outcry?

DMansMom
06-25-2010, 11:10 AM
I understand that child abductions happen everyday, and that most children who go missing are not because of stranger abductions and that your child, statistically, has a better chance of getting killed in a car accident (yadda yadda yadda) but the thing with this case, the thing with Kyron, is that he wasn't just a little kid walking unaccompanied along a street, or playing in a park by himself (and I am in no way blaming or saying that a child that is deserves to be abducted), he was a little boy IN A SCHOOL. A school with lots of adults and other kids and people and here it is 3 weeks later, and frankly, we seem to know nothing more than we did on Friday, June 4.

If I were in that community, I'd be wanting some answers. LE said they wouldn't let this become a cold case, which, frankly, I thought was an absurd thing to say at all, because what police department and investigative unit sets out to have a cold case??? but it's been 3 weeks. I'm seriously surprised that there hasn't been more of an outcry from the parents of the kids at that school. If I were a parent there, I would be calling for the immediate resignation of the school superintendent, the principal of the school and the teacher. I would be holding press conferences outside the school myself saying that all the community knows right now is that a child went missing on these people's watch, and they need to be held accountable and lose their taxpayer paid for jobs.

And then I would be calling the DA's office and saying that I would be actively campaigning against him the next time he was up for re-election if this case wasn't solved. And that he would have to start looking for another career because I would keep on him so that he would never get another DA job in his life. And I would be calling the sheriff's office and telling him the same.

Sure, none of this would bring Kyron home but it might mean another child wouldn't go missing, too. 3 weeks is long enough, too long and I would, if I were in that community, start applying some pressure.

If it's not the SM, and I were in that community then they better start providing some clues or ideas otherwise, I would presume there is a child abductor waiting to strike again.

Seriously, I'm shocked (and getting appalled) at the complete silence from that community. Perhaps I'm the weirdo and in the minority, but after 3 weeks, I would definitely be out there speaking and asking questions of my elected officials who get their paychecks from my tax dollars. I would be holding my own press conferences as a "concerned citizen", even if no news crews actually showed up (LOL!).

What are other people's thoughts? Why does it feel like this community has circled the wagons? How does this help find Kyron, generate leads or protect other children in the vicinity? :confused:

cluciano63
06-25-2010, 11:17 AM
I think it is partly because school is out. If this had happened in mid-year, there might well be much more of a fuss, especially after three weeks. I am sure people are still thinking about Kyron everyday but at the same time, probably involved more in their own lives now that it is summer vacation.

Also, they may be trusting in police in that this happened to Kyron and Kyron only for some reason. I hope LE knows that for sure, somehow.

amethyst221
06-25-2010, 11:18 AM
You've put your finger on the big, inherent contradiction in this case, at least for the public on the outside looking in. I have never understood how (though I've speculated as to why) LE could virtually from the start reassure other parents that this was isolated, there was no serial kidnapper or SO in their midst, if they truly don't have the vaguest idea what happened. I guess that has pushed me more into the public camp that thinks they must have a POI or POIs or a strong theory even if they don't admit it. If they are just totally lost and floundering, with absolutely no idea what has happened, the public reassurances unavoidably seem irresponsible.

Snail
06-25-2010, 11:18 AM
I don't think there is an outcry against the school because I think Kyron may have disappeared before he ever got back to his classroom. Therefore, it was not "on the school's watch" that he disappeared. The teacher saw him with his stepmom before school officially started, thought he had an appt. and marked him absent.

Also, many locals have stated that they are staying quiet because they trust LE, and LE has given them the impression that staying quiet will help solve the case.

LPBwhy
06-25-2010, 11:19 AM
I have a couple of theories.... Maybe out on a limb, but..

One, the LE has specifically asked the community to keep quite. We can only assume they have their reasons, but the community seems obliged. Why:

Two, this is a part of the country where, frankly, people don't shout from too much. I've been up to that area of the country many times when living in NYC and in TX, and I couldn't believe how calm everyone was and how supportive they are of eachother and the community. I think the community is small and they don't want to cause problems for the family or the investigation.

Third,
I'll post that when I have more information.

gwenabob
06-25-2010, 11:21 AM
I believe the police are working their tails off to figure this thing out. Putting more pressure on them and the DA could possibly lead them to make mistakes or even blame the wrong person in order to hurry the process along. Maybe we are just more patient in this part of the woods. We are just going to sit tight a little longer and see what comes out of it. Don't think Portland has given up--we haven't.

Plus, judging by the comments I read locally and the people I talk to, most people around here do not think a stranger did this. We don't really think the community at large is in danger. As long as they can keep an eye on their unnamed POI, I think we are satisfied.

believe09
06-25-2010, 11:27 AM
I dont know if it is apathy-but I think they believe LE when LE said that other children were not in danger.

BeanE
06-25-2010, 11:28 AM
It's a curious thing to me that the community does not seem to be more concerned, because LE indicated they can't rule out a stranger abduction, and that there is some need for alarm from the public.

"I can't say for certainty that it wasn't stranger to stranger. I can't," Gates said. "But I also can tell you that the need for the public to be alarmed is very low."

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/police_issue_questionnaire_ask.html

loves2bmom
06-25-2010, 11:40 AM
I can only speak for myself but I think LE is doing a fantastic job. They are releasing what they want us to know and keeping quiet on the details that might harm their investigation. Why would I be outraged? They are doing their job. Sometimes things aren't solved quickly in the real world...only on TV. My personal belief is they have someone in mind but need more to go forward.

Sounder
06-25-2010, 11:41 AM
I think perhaps they believed it was an inside-family/close-to-family issue. A "stranger" could mean someone was hired to take him. Low alarm for others.

DMansMom
06-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Also, they may be trusting in police in that this happened to Kyron and Kyron only for some reason. I hope LE knows that for sure, somehow.
I think my trust would start to waiver after 21 days of a 7 year old little boy being missing. If Kyron was targeted, why haven't located him? Again, perhaps I'm in the minority of what people would do, but I would be the gadfly, the pest, in that community demanding some answers and telling people that their careers are about to be over and that they might want to start updating their resumes.

I don't know what to think about this case anymore. :banghead:If it is not the stepmom, why the questions about her truck and seeing her at the school on Friday morning? Didn't someone see something? Someone? If not her, did someone see Kyron with someone else? Who? What is the description of that person, if there is someone else? Would it not be helpful to put that information out there?

Kyron's parents have described him as timid and not adventurous and not one of go off by himself. That, to me, sounds like they have ruled out that he just wandered away from school by himself that day.

So, that leaves two other possible scenarios:
1) SM is lying about leaving him at school at 8:45 and she took him
2) Someone else took him that morning

So, if it is #2, did someone see Kyron with someone else? If they did, why have LE not put out more information around that, something like "we have a credible sighting of Kyron at 9:15 walking down the hall of the school with a man wearing a blue baseball hat?" or something like that? Then, they might be able to generate some solid, additional tips from other people who might have been at the school that day. Someone then might come forward and say "I remember that guy in the blue baseball hat. I had never seen him at the school before and I wondered who he was".

Getting a kid out of a school is hard to do without someone having seen you. Why would a child abductor pick a school to get a kid from (okay, yeah, lots of kids at a school but also lots of potential witnesses, too)? If you were a child abductor who was that brazen, what's stopping you from doing it again and with another child? How is every child in the Portland area not potentially at risk for being kidnapped? :waitasec:

txsvicki
06-25-2010, 11:58 AM
At first, a couple of national TV shows were practically saying that SM did it. Now, the family is on talking about how they didn't think he'd be gone this long and it's as if he just walked into a time warp. I don't see how the public can get all outraged, because no one else is. They should though, at least to start demanding cameras in schools regardless of the cost.

Kimster
06-25-2010, 11:59 AM
Kyron was shown on the Eugene news stations again this morning. Thank goodness! I hadn't seen him mentioned in a few days and was surprised because the people that I know around here still discuss Kyron often.

DMansMom
06-25-2010, 12:00 PM
You've put your finger on the big, inherent contradiction in this case, at least for the public on the outside looking in. I have never understood how (though I've speculated as to why) LE could virtually from the start reassure other parents that this was isolated, there was no serial kidnapper or SO in their midst, if they truly don't have the vaguest idea what happened. I guess that has pushed me more into the public camp that thinks they must have a POI or POIs or a strong theory even if they don't admit it. If they are just totally lost and floundering, with absolutely no idea what has happened, the public reassurances unavoidably seem irresponsible.
So, as a member of the community, how long is too long to wait for answers? How long do you sit on your hands and believe what LE is telling you; that this is an "isolated case" and that others need not worry about the safety of their children. How long until you start thinking "sheesh, I think they really bungled this one and have absolutely no idea what happened to Kyron"? 3 Week? A month? 6 Months? A Year?

Because I'm now in the "If they don't arrest the stepmom by this weekend, I think they have screwed up and don't have a clue" camp, personally. And sadly, if they don't arrest someone before we hit the one month mark, I really do think this will become a cold case.

DMansMom
06-25-2010, 12:02 PM
Also, many locals have stated that they are staying quiet because they trust LE, and LE has given them the impression that staying quiet will help solve the case.
Have they stated that they are being told to stay quiet? I know T's GM said she was told not to talk to the media, but that's the only one I remember. Otherwise, except for TMH's friend Jaymie and the parents of Kyron, it doesn't seem like any locales have said anything after those first few days of him going missing.

loves2bmom
06-25-2010, 12:04 PM
At first, a couple of national TV shows were practically saying that SM did it. Now, the family is on talking about how they didn't think he'd be gone this long and it's as if he just walked into a time warp. I don't see how the public can get all outraged, because no one else is. They should though, at least to start demanding cameras in schools regardless of the cost.

There is some local movement towards raising money for cameras. A petition was started under the name "Kyron's Law" As it was pointed out many times before, it's a matter of funding. I heard something like $1million to get them in every school in the Portland School District alone. That's not even all the surrounding districts.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/portland_woman_starts_petition.html

DMansMom
06-25-2010, 12:10 PM
I have a couple of theories.... Maybe out on a limb, but..

One, the LE has specifically asked the community to keep quite. We can only assume they have their reasons, but the community seems obliged. Why:

Two, this is a part of the country where, frankly, people don't shout from too much. I've been up to that area of the country many times when living in NYC and in TX, and I couldn't believe how calm everyone was and how supportive they are of eachother and the community. I think the community is small and they don't want to cause problems for the family or the investigation.

Third,
I'll post that when I have more information.I guess I could see that, but I would think that if the community were as tight knit as they say they are, then they would be horrified to see one of their own's children go missing and would be "out there" a bit more.

And I know this is only the impression of from the outside looking in, but the community circling the wagons approach has, IMO, given the impression that they don't care. There have been fliers distributed and there are signs up locally, but the search was called off weeks ago and there has been next to no information given out to the national media. Typical, standard issue stuff. Give it another week, and I imagine that there will be no interest from the national media at all, without something substantive to report, like another child going missing. And then, the collective, national conscious will forget all about this case. I know that sounds cold but I say it because that is my fear if they don't start giving out some more leads. Kyron will just become another kid on that long list of missing kids in Oregon. :(

CCup
06-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Part of me thinks the LE is keeping quiet because they have an idea who is responsible or where Kyron is, but the other part of me thinks they are keeping quiet because they don't have a clue!

I don't know if my frustration is because I am nosey and want to know more details or because I feel like more details may help in finding Kyron.

This case frustrates me and sometimes I feel like it has already gone cold!

DMansMom
06-25-2010, 12:15 PM
I believe the police are working their tails off to figure this thing out. Putting more pressure on them and the DA could possibly lead them to make mistakes or even blame the wrong person in order to hurry the process along. Maybe we are just more patient in this part of the woods. We are just going to sit tight a little longer and see what comes out of it. Don't think Portland has given up--we haven't.

Plus, judging by the comments I read locally and the people I talk to, most people around here do not think a stranger did this. We don't really think the community at large is in danger. As long as they can keep an eye on their unnamed POI, I think we are satisfied.Thanks for the insight, Gwenabob. I don't think my Type A personality would be able to make it up there for very long! :)

And yes, my opinion on this is probably based on my east coaster mentality, which is to have expected it resolved "yesterday". Although, I will say, regardless of where I was, it would be hard for me to sit on my hands and keep my mouth shut, no matter where I lived.

Day Dreamer
06-25-2010, 12:20 PM
So, as a member of the community, how long is too long to wait for answers? How long do you sit on your hands and believe what LE is telling you; that this is an "isolated case" and that others need not worry about the safety of their children. How long until you start thinking "sheesh, I think they really bungled this one and have absolutely no idea what happened to Kyron"? 3 Week? A month? 6 Months? A Year?

Because I'm now in the "If they don't arrest the stepmom by this weekend, I think they have screwed up and don't have a clue" camp, personally. And sadly, if they don't arrest someone before we hit the one month mark, I really do think this will become a cold case.

So you want someone arrested? Does it matter who? Would arresting SM make everyone happy? What if she is innocent? Not only will she lose her life; but, a kidnapper, possible killer would still be at large. To me that is not OK.

Another thing, if they arrest someone too soon, even if it is the right person, and before they have hard evidence then they will only have to release the person which could severely damage the case. How would that help?

I am w/ you on the frustration. At what point will LE start releasing information? If Kyron is not found will LE continue the media black out? To me, I believe that is sad for Kyron. I can already see interest in this case deminishing because LE is giving the public nothing!

Nellie
06-25-2010, 12:21 PM

I see Kyron on tv all day long here on KATU. Not only do they say something every news cast, they have an ad they show throughout the day. It is on the forefront of everybody's mind here.

I don't understand how you could feel it has been bungled? Short of setting up the National Guard here, there isn't much more they can do except what they are doing... pursuing every lead.

It is hard to think like a person who has taken Kyron because most people don't have that kind of sick mind.

As a parent I felt very comfortable in my small country Oregon school where my kids attended. No cameras anywhere. I was at those fairs... there is NO way I knew everyone that attended, as people love to support our community.

So three weeks ago, just like every ordinary school day, Kyron Horman went to school. This is a nightmare to EVERY parent.

LE has to say some things to keep the public calm. Just what would happen if they said they don't have a clue who took him? What kind of attention would that get? It would cause pandemonium among parents here and everywhere.

Our kids are not safe anywhere, anymore - period. Pointing fingers gets us no where.

ella971
06-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the insight, Gwenabob. I don't think my Type A personality would be able to make it up there for very long! :)

And yes, my opinion on this is probably based on my east coaster mentality, which is to have expected it resolved "yesterday". Although, I will say, regardless of where I was, it would be hard for me to sit on my hands and keep my mouth shut, no matter where I lived.

I agree with you however if the FBI gave me some insight of what the game plan was I would do whatever I had to do. However I would not be working out or playing games on line. I would be (if not in the hospital after my heart stopped) out searching and talking to people. When ever parents say they want the focus to be on the missing person and not them MOO is they are the only voice for the child and do everything you can to get info out. I will keep praying that he is okay.

Snail
06-25-2010, 12:25 PM
Have they stated that they are being told to stay quiet? I know T's GM said she was told not to talk to the media, but that's the only one I remember. Otherwise, except for TMH's friend Jaymie and the parents of Kyron, it doesn't seem like any locales have said anything after those first few days of him going missing.

I have not read of any comments from locals on this board who have said they were told to keep quiet. Some have hinted that it has been implied, most comments I have seen from locals say they are keeping quiet because they do not want speculation to impede the investigation. Then they go on to say there is not much speculation anyway because there are very few leaks or anything to go on....Then they reiterate their trust in LE.

DMansMom
06-25-2010, 12:25 PM
I dont know if it is apathy-but I think they believe LE when LE said that other children were not in danger.I hope LE is right. Personally, if lived there and my child was at that school, they would have to be doing a lot more to convince me of his safety or I would be out talking to any reporter and media person who would take me. And I would be calling for heads to roll. Perhaps I'm just cut from a different cloth.

I'm so frustrated with this case, and I don't even live anywhere in the vicinity of Portland. I cannot imagine what I would be feeling if I lived there. Well, first, I would be tying my child to my waist with a rope :) until they figured out what happened to Kyron! And then I would hope that I wouldn't have to keep my child lashed to me until he turned 18. :(

Sheeh, where is he??? It's been 3 weeks! If they know something, bring the boy home!!!

amethyst221
06-25-2010, 12:26 PM

I guess how long each person waits for answers is up to them. LE is searching for Kyron and more evidence, and trying to follow up on leads to narrow the vast areas that could be searched. They interact with the significant witnesses and are in a far better position than I am to assess them and their reactions, and to make decisions based on that. I don't rule out that this case will become "cold," in that they may not make an arrest soon, based on whatever evidence they have. I wish they could find Kyron.

mistivon
06-25-2010, 12:31 PM
I really don't understand the lack of community/family searchers at this point. I think I would have been out there every day looking, and still would be begging for help to find him three weeks in. Why is there no search parties like in Lindsey's case...they're doing them a year later. We never knew she'd be gone that long either :(
I know about the evidence, but it's usually a citizen who stumbles across a body or a missing kid anyway, so what's the difference here?
sorry, just my two cents...I want to see searchers, different searchers, especially again in the school.

DMansMom
06-25-2010, 12:34 PM
I can only speak for myself but I think LE is doing a fantastic job. They are releasing what they want us to know and keeping quiet on the details that might harm their investigation. Why would I be outraged? They are doing their job. Sometimes things aren't solved quickly in the real world...only on TV. My personal belief is they have someone in mind but need more to go forward.
I would be outraged because it's been 3 weeks. That's an incredibly long time for a 7 year old to be missing. And how do I, as Jane Q Public, know that they are doing their jobs? Maybe they are completely screwing this case up, focused on the SM when it wasn't her at all, and they don't have any idea what happened to Kyron at all. And here I would be as another parent of a little blonde haired 7 year old boy wondering if my kid was going to be next to disappear in a place filled with other children, parents and adults and where I always imagined him to be safe when I wasn't there with him.

I'm not at all saying that LE on this investigation is screwing up this case at all. What I am saying is that I am really surprised that no one in the community, where you have the potential for 600 parents to do so, has said anything like what I just wrote.

Maybe it's the east coast/west coast difference, but I can tell you, here, people would be putting some LE's feet to the proverbial fire right about now. If it went on for a month, you would start seeing detectives getting pulled from the case and a new lead investigator. Perhaps we are are more impatient lot. It's also hot here and we get cranky when it gets above 100. :)

supermom71
06-25-2010, 12:35 PM
What community are you talking about? The neighborhood around the school, NW Portland, Westside of Portland or Portland as a whole? How do you know there is not some kind of outcry? How do you know their aren't individuals doing what you mention in our post, OP? Just because the news doesn't report things doesn't mean they aren't happening.

I think that any large city isn't going to feel "unsafe" because of one missing child. Statisically, we know there are other dangers that are more likely to happen. Personally, I think that the majority of people feel that it was a family member and there is no danger to the community.

supermom71
06-25-2010, 12:37 PM
I also wanted to add that I think the community believes that LE is doing their job, they don't have to release info that could hurt the investigation. If the public gets fanatical and causes an uproar it could impede the investigation.

DMansMom
06-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Part of me thinks the LE is keeping quiet because they have an idea who is responsible or where Kyron is, but the other part of me thinks they are keeping quiet because they don't have a clue!

I don't know if my frustration is because I am noisy and want to know more details or because I feel like more details may help in finding Kyron.

This case frustrates me and sometimes I feel like it has already gone cold!CCup, I feel *exactly* the same way that you do. And I do not think, in the case of a missing child, it's wrong to be impatient. I know they need to get their ducks in a row if it's the SM but really, 3 weeks, and you still can't arrest her? If it's not her, then put something out that alludes to that and give us some additional details that might help generate some leads on who it really is.

marquez305
06-25-2010, 12:42 PM
I would at the very least not send my kid back to a school there that didn't have a proper signing in/out procedure that is actually followed. I really didn't even know that ALL schools didn't do this. And a school like Kyrons that has limited points of entry should at least have video at those points...that wouldn't be as costly.

I think LE has a POI even if they are saying they don't. I agree with Steadfast's observation below. You may THINK you are working with LE, but really LE is working on you. They are pros and they don't need help from grieving parents.

I find it telling how differently Kaine and Desiree are interacting with LE:

Kaine, in the KPTV interview:

Desiree, in the same interview:

So it sounds to me like Desiree is mainly getting updates, while Kaine and Terri are being questioned relentlessly. (He can call it "working with the investigators" all he wants, but that's what Tammy Smith used to call it, too.)

http://www.kptv.com/news/24037975/detail.html

Snail
06-25-2010, 12:46 PM
When I listen to the news conferences and read statements made by LE from early in the investigation the general message is this: We don't want to relase any investigative info. because if a tip comes in we want it to be genuine, not something pieced together from the info. we have released. To me this made sense early in the process when LE was trying to piece everything together.

But now? In my opinion they need to release something small to keep interest and focus on this case, and to maintain trust in LE. If they still do not have a clue as to what happened to Kyron, then not releasing anything still makes sense for the same reason it did early on in the case. But if they know who did this or even if it was family vs. a stranger something should be relased. It wouldn't have to be something big.... To me the reason they are not releasing anything is because they know exactly who did it, and are building their case. LE doesn't want to raise this person's suspicions before arrest, and they want to make sure this person can help them locate Kyron, which I do believe is their ultimate goal. Success= arrest (if need be) AND finding Kyron

Day Dreamer
06-25-2010, 12:47 PM
I hope LE is right. Personally, if lived there and my child was at that school, they would have to be doing a lot more to convince me of his safety or I would be out talking to any reporter and media person who would take me. And I would be calling for heads to roll. Perhaps I'm just cut from a different cloth.

I'm so frustrated with this case, and I don't even live anywhere in the vicinity of Portland. I cannot imagine what I would be feeling if I lived there. Well, first, I would be tying my child to my waist with a rope :) until they figured out what happened to Kyron! And then I would hope that I wouldn't have to keep my child lashed to me until he turned 18. :(

Sheeh, where is he??? It's been 3 weeks! If they know something, bring the boy home!!!

I feel your frustrations. If this happened at my son's school I would be very wary of allowing him to go back if I could allow him to go back at all. It would feel like I might be delivering him to such a situation. I am one of those mother's that is fully involved w/ her kids.

Actually, I just got back from taking our turtles to school for show and tell and teaching the kids what our turtles eat, how they live, etc. I have taken puppies and Sea Monkeys to the school for the same purpose; and, I have just purchased a butterfly garden and caterpillars for the kids in my son's class to watch grow and change, next we are looking for tadpoles. I often go in to help do projects w/ the kids too.

With all that said, I am very involved w/ my kids including school. I know everyone at the very small developmental day school my son attends (he is autistic) ... not all of the parents though. Of course, this school has cameras on every inch of the school that I can also go in and view. I would love to see all schools equipped w/ cameras and safety measures. It sure isn't the world I grew up in anymore!

I feel that my son is very safe at his school. I know a lot of the teachers and staff have a soft spot for my son too. I guess all that makes me very comfortable as to his safety. All kids and parents deserve to have that same amount of security.

I will say that Kyron's case has scared me. School is one place our kids should be safe! Not only did this person get Kyron, this person has also rocked the security of all of the kids in that school. There is no doubt those kids are worried and scared that it could happen to them as well.

I, for one, will not let Kyron's case fall to the side. I will always keep his smile in my mind and always pray he is safe and home soon!!

DMansMom
06-25-2010, 12:47 PM
So you want someone arrested? Does it matter who? Would arresting SM make everyone happy? What if she is innocent? Not only will she lose her life; but, a kidnapper, possible killer would still be at large. To me that is not OK.

Another thing, if they arrest someone too soon, even if it is the right person, and before they have hard evidence then they will only have to release the person which could severely damage the case. How would that help?

I am w/ you on the frustration. At what point will LE start releasing information? If Kyron is not found will LE continue the media black out? To me, I believe that is sad for Kyron. I can already see interest in this case deminishing because LE is giving the public nothing!No, I just just want a someone arrested, I want the SM arrested, if it is indeed her. They have put enough out there to make me think that they think it is her and if it it is not, they need to start sharing some other information that says that it isn't her and some other leads that they might have. Because right now, with no other information coming from LE, all signs point to her and there are not compelling anyone to search for or think of other possibilities.

Basically, I hope like hell they know what they are doing so that they find Kyron and I hope like hell for all the other little kids in Portland that they've got this one figured out and didn't let a serial child abductor escape to potentially strike again. It's a lot of faith, and that's a hard thing to hold onto after 3 weeks.

DMansMom
06-25-2010, 12:55 PM
I see Kyron on tv all day long here on KATU. Not only do they say something every news cast, they have an ad they show throughout the day. It is on the forefront of everybody's mind here.

I don't understand how you could feel it has been bungled? Short of setting up the National Guard here, there isn't much more they can do except what they are doing... pursuing every lead.

It is hard to think like a person who has taken Kyron because most people don't have that kind of sick mind.

As a parent I felt very comfortable in my small country Oregon school where my kids attended. No cameras anywhere. I was at those fairs... there is NO way I knew everyone that attended, as people love to support our community.

So three weeks ago, just like every ordinary school day, Kyron Horman went to school. This is a nightmare to EVERY parent.

LE has to say some things to keep the public calm. Just what would happen if they said they don't have a clue who took him? What kind of attention would that get? It would cause pandemonium among parents here and everywhere.

Our kids are not safe anywhere, anymore - period. Pointing fingers gets us no where.Well, I hope that if someone has taken Kyron, that he is still in the Portland area. But what is he isn't? I keep thinking about Shasta Groene and that it was an alert waitress at a diner who helped find her. Kyron could be in my area by now (and I live in the DC metro area). We're getting to that point, where if they don't start giving reporters and news people outside of Portland some substantive information, this story is going to fall off the national news radar screens.

DMansMom
06-25-2010, 12:58 PM
I really don't understand the lack of community/family searchers at this point. I think I would have been out there every day looking, and still would be begging for help to find him three weeks in. Why is there no search parties like in Lindsey's case...they're doing them a year later. We never knew she'd be gone that long either :(
I know about the evidence, but it's usually a citizen who stumbles across a body or a missing kid anyway, so what's the difference here?
sorry, just my two cents...I want to see searchers, different searchers, especially again in the school.Mistivon, I agree with you. And I know it is the outside looking in on this community and we are putting them under a microscope but it almost feels like they have given up on Kyron.

ella971
06-25-2010, 01:01 PM
My Daughter is 12 and we had two attempted abductions in less than 2 miles from our home. Her school called to inform us. I called every day to ask if they had any new information. They would only say they are working with the sheriff's department. I continued to call and I found out that the attempted abductions involved two different children and two different perpetrators. This was a span of about two to three weeks. The school called every day with automated messages to inform us on the ongoing investigation. No one was every found or charged. My point is that the sheriff's department told the school what to say. I found out all the details from my little gas station up the road that we call the cop shop.They all come in and get coffee.

DMansMom
06-25-2010, 01:02 PM
What community are you talking about? The neighborhood around the school, NW Portland, Westside of Portland or Portland as a whole? How do you know there is not some kind of outcry? How do you know their aren't individuals doing what you mention in our post, OP? Just because the news doesn't report things doesn't mean they aren't happening.

I think that any large city isn't going to feel "unsafe" because of one missing child. Statisically, we know there are other dangers that are more likely to happen. Personally, I think that the majority of people feel that it was a family member and there is no danger to the community.The parents of the children that go to the school that Kyron attended are the ones I'm mostly talking about. And I haven't seen a single news report, outside of the the ones just the first few days that he went missing, that have included any of those people. Is it being reported locally but not nationally? Are these people speaking to local reporters?

Day Dreamer
06-25-2010, 01:08 PM
The parents of the children that go to the school that Kyron attended are the ones I'm mostly talking about. And I haven't seen a single news report, outside of the the ones just the first few days that he went missing, that have included any of those people. Is it being reported locally but not nationally? Are these people speaking to local reporters?

Kyron's biological parents were on the Today show this morning which goes nationally.

I have read that some locals posted that they were asked not to repeat or discuss anything about the case.

All I can say is I hope they know what they are doing!

DMansMom
06-25-2010, 01:12 PM
When I listen to the news conferences and read statements made by LE from early in the investigation the general message is this: We don't want to relase any investigative info. because if a tip comes in we want it to be genuine, not something pieced together from the info. we have released. To me this made sense early in the process when LE was trying to piece everything together.

But now? In my opinion they need to release something small to keep interest and focus on this case, and to maintain trust in LE. If they still do not have a clue as to what happened to Kyron, then not releasing anything still makes sense for the same reason it did early on in the case. But if they know who did this or even if it was family vs. a stranger something should be relased. It wouldn't have to be something big.... To me the reason they are not releasing anything is because they know exactly who did it, and are building their case. LE doesn't want to raise this person's suspicions before arrest, and they want to make sure this person can help them locate Kyron, which I do believe is their ultimate goal. Success= arrest (if need be) AND finding KyronYes, it's a tightrope that LE has to walk. They need to keep some things close to their chest but they also need to reassure the public that they are doing everything to 1) find Kryon 2) find the person who took him (if he was indeed taken) but also 3) assure the public that,while they aren't giving out the details, they do have leads and 4) make sure that this case doesn't fall off everyone's radar screens.

I wonder if they don't care if #4 occurs anymore because they have such a good idea of who took Kyron but they don't know where he is. Because they aren't focusing on #4/making sure that this case doesn't fall off everyone's radar screens that #3/assuring the public is also not a main focus anymore. They know that the general public is safe, but they can't tell them why because if they do, they jeopardize the entire case.

I think they need to get back to #3 a bit more. They need to give something out that to the general public that assures them that they are getting closer to solving this or that they are onto something. Right now, they have given nothing out which could also lead one to think that they know absolutely nothing at all.

And here is a question for the parents out there. If this happened in your community, and school were to start in the fall and you knew as much as you know right now about missing Kyron (no arrests, no additional information coming from LE), would you send your kid off to school?

ella971
06-25-2010, 01:18 PM
Yes, it's a tightrope that LE has to walk. They need to keep some things close to their chest but they also need to reassure the public that they are doing everything to 1) find Kryon 2) find the person who took him (if he was indeed taken) but also 3) assure the public that,while they aren't giving out the details, they do have leads and 4) make sure that this case doesn't fall off everyone's radar screens.

I wonder if they don't care if #4 occurs anymore because they have such a good idea of who took Kyron but they don't know where he is. Because they aren't focusing on #4/making sure that this case doesn't fall off everyone's radar screens that #3/assuring the public is also not a main focus anymore. They know that the general public is safe, but they can't tell them why because if they do, they jeopardize the entire case.

I think they need to get back to #3 a bit more. They need to give something out that to the general public that assures them that they are getting closer to solving this or that they are onto something. Right now, they have given nothing out which could also lead one to think that they no absolutely nothing at all.

And here is a question for the parents out there. If this happened in your community, and school were to start in the fall and you knew as much as you know right now about missing Kyron (no arrests, no additional information coming from LE), would you send your kid off to school?

NO WAY! I would home school her.

DMansMom
06-25-2010, 01:22 PM
I feel your frustrations. If this happened at my son's school I would be very wary of allowing him to go back if I could allow him to go back at all. It would feel like I might be delivering him to such a situation. I am one of those mother's that is fully involved w/ her kids.

Actually, I just got back from taking our turtles to school for show and tell and teaching the kids what our turtles eat, how they live, etc. I have taken puppies and Sea Monkeys to the school for the same purpose; and, I have just purchased a butterfly garden and caterpillars for the kids in my son's class to watch grow and change, next we are looking for tadpoles. I often go in to help do projects w/ the kids too.

With all that said, I am very involved w/ my kids including school. I know everyone at the very small developmental day school my son attends (he is autistic) ... not all of the parents though. Of course, this school has cameras on every inch of the school that I can also go in and view. I would love to see all schools equipped w/ cameras and safety measures. It sure isn't the world I grew up in anymore!

I feel that my son is very safe at his school. I know a lot of the teachers and staff have a soft spot for my son too. I guess all that makes me very comfortable as to his safety. All kids and parents deserve to have that same amount of security.

I will say that Kyron's case has scared me. School is one place our kids should be safe! Not only did this person get Kyron, this person has also rocked the security of all of the kids in that school. There is no doubt those kids are worried and scared that it could happen to them as well.

I, for one, will not let Kyron's case fall to the side. I will always keep his smile in my mind and always pray he is safe and home soon!!Thank you, Day Dreamer! I'm a working mom so I'm not able to volunteer in the classroom as much as I would if I were a SAHM but I'm really active in other areas with the school, so much so that even though my son is only a rising 2nd grader, I've turned down offers twice to run for PTA president. Schools, to me, are supposed to be safe places for children. We've already lost sidewalks, parks, malls and walking in the woods as places that kids can't be by themselves, do we now have to add schools to the list? Do we know raise an entire generation of children who never see the sun, get to go on exploratory adventures in the woods and now, have cameras trained on their every move (but that is for another post...)?

My son's school is outside an area much larger than Portland and it does not have cameras. And I don't know what cameras would have done in this instance so I haven't gotten on the cameras bandwagon. I guess they would give an idea of if Kyron left the school by himself or with someone else, but they wouldn't tell us where he is now.

pdx
06-25-2010, 01:24 PM
I'm local. I feel criticized by the OP comments because we're not doing it his/her way.

What do you expect 'the community' to do? Did it occur to you that there might be information that 'the community' has that you do not?
I do not have a feeling that my locals have dropped the ball on this case. I believe it is being actively worked every day. I would love resolution as much as anyone would, but I understand that some jobs take longer than others.
I'd rather have them get it right than get it fast.

I am not outraged with LE. I feel like this was specific to the family involved and that's why there is no immediate danger to other people's children.

loves2bmom
06-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Kyron's biological parents were on the Today show this morning which goes nationally.

I have read that some locals posted that they were asked not to repeat or discuss anything about the case.

All I can say is I hope they know what they are doing!

I have also heard that all the parents that were interviewed were specifically asked not to talk to reporters. I'm not a parent at that school (I'm about 10 miles away) but if an investigator asked me not to say anything, I would definitely listen. I would hate to be the one to mess up their chances of solving the case or bringing this person to justice. I guess I'm still not getting what "outrage" you expect to see. There are plenty of messages on all the news sites that are asking questions, doubting the invesigators, commenting on Sam Adams, blaming the school etc, etc....

Day Dreamer
06-25-2010, 01:32 PM
Thank you, Day Dreamer! I'm a working mom so I'm not able to volunteer in the classroom as much as I would if I were a SAHM but I'm really active in other areas with the school, so much so that even though my son is only a rising 2nd grader, I've turned down offers twice to run for PTA president. Schools, to me, are supposed to be safe places for children. We've already lost sidewalks, parks, malls and walking in the woods as places that kids can't be by themselves, do we now have to add schools to the list? Do we know raise an entire generation of children who never see the sun, get to go on exploratory adventures in the woods and now, have cameras trained on their every move (but that is for another post...)?

My son's school is outside an area much larger than Portland and it does not have cameras. And I don't know what cameras would have done in this instance so I haven't gotten on the cameras bandwagon. I guess they would give an idea of if Kyron left the school by himself or with someone else, but they wouldn't tell us where he is now.

I have been very blessed to be able to stay home w/ my son and work part time from home. Things have been tight; but, w/ my son being autistic, I felt he needed me more. As parents, we all do as much as we can. I mainly wanted to point out that, even though I am very active in my son's school, I still do not know all of the parents. Not even close!

If Skyline had cameras perhaps we might know who is responsible for Kyron's disappearance (if he did indeed disappear from school). Although, living our lives w/ our every move captured on video tape may make us safe, it also strips away our privacy. :(

DMansMom
06-25-2010, 01:36 PM
My Daughter is 12 and we had two attempted abductions in less than 2 miles from our home. Her school called to inform us. I called every day to ask if they had any new information. They would only say they are working with the sheriff's department. I continued to call and I found out that the attempted abductions involved two different children and two different perpetrators. This was a span of about two to three weeks. The school called every day with automated messages to inform us on the ongoing investigation. No one was every found or charged. My point is that the sheriff's department told the school what to say. I found out all the details from my little gas station up the road that we call the cop shop.They all come in and get coffee.
But they/the school, did let you know? Did they give an ID of the person(s)? That is very scary!

And trust me, I know we can't wrap our children up in little protective bubbles until they turn 18 and we unwrap them from the protective cocoon we have placed them and tell them to fly away. But, we do owe it to them to pay attention to these cases of children being abducted so that we can learn from them. What I have learned is that all the rules that we applied to stranger danger, I have now applied to the school. My son and I have done role playing where I am the stranger who approaches him in the hallway, in the school bathroom, on the playground, near a doorway, etc. and we have discussed what to do. He knows that he should never leave the school with anyone and we've practiced him yelling "this is not my dad/mom. My name is X X, help me. Call the police. This is not my dad. Help! Help!" and I have told him it's okay to kick, punch, scream, fight, and bite and told him where to kick or punch that might be most effective. It sucks and I hate doing it.

Day Dreamer
06-25-2010, 01:41 PM
But they/the school, did let you know? Did they give an ID of the person(s)? That is very scary!
Yes Very Scary! Worse even that they did not catch the people!!

And trust me, I know we can't wrap our children up in little protective bubbles until they turn 18 and we unwrap them from the protective cocoon we have placed them and tell them to fly away.

BBM. It is a very tempting idea though isn't it?:innocent:

But, we do owe it to them to pay attention to these cases of children being abducted so that we can learn from them. What I have learned is that all the rules that we applied to stranger danger, I have now applied to the school. My son and I have done role playing where I am the stranger who approaches him in the hallway, in the school bathroom, on the playground, near a doorway, etc. and we have discussed what to do. He knows that he should never leave the school with anyone and we've practiced him yelling "this is not my dad/mom. My name is X X, help me. Call the police. This is not my dad. Help! Help!" and I have told him it's okay to kick, punch, scream, fight, and bite and told him where to kick or punch that might be most effective. It sucks and I hate doing it.

Great job at teaching your child what to do. Every parent needs to do that no matter where they live! I always worry excessively over my 4 year old. With his autism he doesn't really understand the danger ... he has never met a stranger. He actually will grab people as they walk by him to force them to speak to him! LOL It is cute; but, it is also scary!

cluciano63
06-25-2010, 01:43 PM
I will say it again, that I really think the fact that school is not in session has a lot to do with parents seemingly not freaking out right now. When this happened, school was nearly out and most parents probably figured that Kyron would be found very soon, as did many of us. And now, for the next 2 months or so, the school is not a factor in their daily lives, so they can turn their attentions to their summer plans.

I would, however, want to feel assured that my daycare arrangements were safe, i.e. that LE was extremely confident that no other children are in danger and I am at a loss as to how they can feel so sure of this. LE simply stating that might not be enough for me if I had cihldren and lived in the area. But I am also at at loss as to what would comfort me, other than an arrest, so LE is in a tight spot here.

ella971
06-25-2010, 01:47 PM

And trust me, I know we can't wrap our children up in little protective bubbles until they turn 18 and we unwrap them from the protective cocoon we have placed them and tell them to fly away. But, we do owe it to them to pay attention to these cases of children being abducted so that we can learn from them. What I have learned is that all the rules that we applied to stranger danger, I have now applied to the school. My son and I have done role playing where I am the stranger who approaches him in the hallway, in the school bathroom, on the playground, near a doorway, etc. and we have discussed what to do. He knows that he should never leave the school with anyone and we've practiced him yelling "this is not my dad/mom. My name is X X, help me. Call the police. This is not my dad. Help! Help!" and I have told him it's okay to kick, punch, scream, fight, and bite and told him where to kick or punch that might be most effective. It sucks and I hate doing it.

Yes.The school gave a bit of info and all the rest I got myself from the cop shop(store down the road) I told them I'm a single Mom raising my daughter and I need to know so I can sleep at night.Inside info is how I found out. I do the same thing with my daughter including fast forward when she is an adult always check the back seat when you get in your car and if you ever are taken never go second location. If you have to crash into a tree or other cars.Thank God she is okay with me informing her that she should be prepared to die before a stranger takes her to a second location. It sucks so bad to have to talk about the truth of what can happen but it's very important.I have restrained myself from teaching her how to hold a gun or shoot one. Hmm...her birthday is coming up maybe I can start out with pepper spray? I kidd...sort of.

Trident
06-25-2010, 01:49 PM
I would be outraged because it's been 3 weeks. That's an incredibly long time for a 7 year old to be missing. And how do I, as Jane Q Public, know that they are doing their jobs? Maybe they are completely screwing this case up, focused on the SM when it wasn't her at all, and they don't have any idea what happened to Kyron at all. And here I would be as another parent of a little blonde haired 7 year old boy wondering if my kid was going to be next to disappear in a place filled with other children, parents and adults and where I always imagined him to be safe when I wasn't there with him.

I'm not at all saying that LE on this investigation is screwing up this case at all. What I am saying is that I am really surprised that no one in the community, where you have the potential for 600 parents to do so, has said anything like what I just wrote.

Maybe it's the east coast/west coast difference, but I can tell you, here, people would be putting some LE's feet to the proverbial fire right about now. If it went on for a month, you would start seeing detectives getting pulled from the case and a new lead investigator. Perhaps we are are more impatient lot. It's also hot here and we get cranky when it gets above 100. :)

You make a lot of sense. Almost every case that's been brought to a conclusion has had public input, not a public blackout. Conversely, the cases that are "held close to the vest" seem to drag on, getting colder and colder, probably along with the body.

If I lived there and LE told/asked me not to discuss this case, they'd darned sure be giving me a good reason why or I'd be on every talk show from Oregon to Miami Beach and everything in between.

There is, however, one exception - I tend to believe they have a poi, the sm, and/or other relative, but don't have enough evidence for an arrest. If this turns out NOT to be the case, I hope the community takes a good look at the possible danger other children were subjected to by the LE assurances and take appropriate action.

My opinion only

DMansMom
06-25-2010, 01:51 PM
I'm local. I feel criticized by the OP comments because we're not doing it his/her way.

What do you expect 'the community' to do? Did it occur to you that there might be information that 'the community' has that you do not?
I do not have a feeling that my locals have dropped the ball on this case. I believe it is being actively worked every day. I would love resolution as much as anyone would, but I understand that some jobs take longer than others.

I am not outraged with LE. I feel like this was specific to the family involved and that's why there is no immediate danger to other people's children.
I'm sorry that I made you feel criticized. I'm just giving you my perspective as an outsider, looking in, and who feels very certain that if they don't start giving out some additional information very soon, no one outside of Portland is going to be paying attention to this case anymore. I know that sounds harsh but the reality is, if you are booker for the Today show and you've got lots of potential stories to cover, if it's the same parents coming forward without additional information, they aren't going to be booking you for the show.

Maybe you guys do have more information in the community than we do but, I am very surprised that a little boy went missing from a school and more people aren't going to the media and saying that they are scared for the safety of their own children. It's been 3 weeks and, unless you guys know more, there hasn't been one additional shred of information given out that would lead anyone to think that it was a family member and there is no immediate danger to other children. The investigators haven't verified that, so to me, it would seem like there is a potential danger and if I lived there, I would be wanting some answers to that very question. I'm not saying "do it my way". I'm saying, if I lived there, I would want some answers by now and I would be going to the media to say it.

grandmaj
06-25-2010, 01:52 PM
Topic Why no public outcry?

Rules regarding OT posts.

Etiquette & Information - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Off-Topic” Posts:

OTPs are posts that do not relate to the original post/topic, or are placed in the wrong category. While we realize threads often expand into different topics, we encourage members to do their best to stick with the original topic, or start another thread. Off-Topic posts are subject to editing or removal at administrative discretion, and without notification. Members that continuously post off topic may have their posting privileges suspended.

DMansMom
06-25-2010, 02:01 PM
Great job at teaching your child what to do. Every parent needs to do that no matter where they live! I always worry excessively over my 4 year old. With his autism he doesn't really understand the danger ... he has never met a stranger. He actually will grab people as they walk by him to force them to speak to him! LOL It is cute; but, it is also scary!Oh my goodness, that is so sweet but so scary at the same time.

Not to go wildly off topic, but we have a very good friend of the family who I grew up with who has Williams syndrome, and he has never met a stranger in his life. Ever. Everyone is his friend. While that means it's fun to go out with him (he's now 40) because he knows everyone everywhere, it's always been worrisome to his mom and dad because he just doesn't even understand the idea that you can't trust someone.

T-Rex
06-25-2010, 02:02 PM
I agree with the original poster. It's almost like LE is shielding the school, while throwing Terri under the bus. Intimating that neither Kyran nor Terri was at school that day, while telling students and parents not to talk to the press. Meanwhile, at least one of those students, and two faculty, had clearly already told LE they saw them! If it wasn't for Kyran's friend going public, no one would even have a clue the school may bear some blame. I think that's why the grandma agreed to the interview.

Day Dreamer
06-25-2010, 02:05 PM
her birthday is coming up maybe I can start out with pepper spray? I kidd...sort of.

*respectfully snipped & BBM

I think getting your daughter pepper spray is an excellent idea. When I was a teen I had a best friend that was more like a big brother and very protective. As soon as I got my first car he bought me my first can of pepper spray to go on my key chain. It never hurts to be prepared, especially young women!

DMansMom
06-25-2010, 02:05 PM
I have also heard that all the parents that were interviewed were specifically asked not to talk to reporters. I'm not a parent at that school (I'm about 10 miles away) but if an investigator asked me not to say anything, I would definitely listen. I would hate to be the one to mess up their chances of solving the case or bringing this person to justice. I guess I'm still not getting what "outrage" you expect to see. There are plenty of messages on all the news sites that are asking questions, doubting the invesigators, commenting on Sam Adams, blaming the school etc, etc....I guess what I'm saying is that after 3 weeks, where is seems that LE is hinting that it wasn't a case of a stranger abduction, that the community would know more now? That Kyron would be back?

mauirain
06-25-2010, 02:10 PM
No, I just just want a someone arrested, I want the SM arrested, if it is indeed her. They have put enough out there to make me think that they think it is her and if it it is not, they need to start sharing some other information that says that it isn't her and some other leads that they might have. Because right now, with no other information coming from LE, all signs point to her and there are not compelling anyone to search for or think of other possibilities.

Basically, I hope like hell they know what they are doing so that they find Kyron and I hope like hell for all the other little kids in Portland that they've got this one figured out and didn't let a serial child abductor escape to potentially strike again. It's a lot of faith, and that's a hard thing to hold onto after 3 weeks.

I live right over the bridge in Wa. 15 minutes to portland airport. It has been very frustrating because LE states it is an isolated incident, but no POI. Just not sure they even have a clue. I guess we as parents have to be careful no matter what. So many thoughts go thru my mind, one minute I am pissed that LE would say the public is not entitled to any information. The next minute, I am hoping they are doing this because they do have their eye on someone and do not want to make any mistakes. I feel they do have someone they have their eye on. With what we do know from the PC and statements from LE, I would be keeping my eye on that person as well.

DMansMom
06-25-2010, 02:12 PM
I will say it again, that I really think the fact that school is not in session has a lot to do with parents seemingly not freaking out right now. When this happened, school was nearly out and most parents probably figured that Kyron would be found very soon, as did many of us. And now, for the next 2 months or so, the school is not a factor in their daily lives, so they can turn their attentions to their summer plans.

I would, however, want to feel assured that my daycare arrangements were safe, i.e. that LE was extremely confident that no other children are in danger and I am at a loss as to how they can feel so sure of this. LE simply stating that might not be enough for me if I had cihldren and lived in the area. But I am also at at loss as to what would comfort me, other than an arrest, so LE is in a tight spot here.
Cluciano63, that is my suspicion as well. They don't have to take their kids to that school everyday and drop them off and leave them there for 6 hours and wonder if they will come back home on a school bus or come out the front door. If LE is indeed telling the parents to not talk to the media, I wonder how long people will go along with it? Unless there is also something else that they have told those parents that they haven't shared with the rest of the public, I'm curious to how long before a person "goes off message" (as we PR people like to say) and starts talking to reporters on her own?

supermom71
06-25-2010, 02:25 PM

BBM

I also felt that OP was being highly critical and is bashing locals and LE. I am surprised this thread hasn't been locked. It's easy to sit on the outside and criticize when you don't really know what's going on and are just purely speculating.

DMansMom
06-25-2010, 02:28 PM
You make a lot of sense. Almost every case that's been brought to a conclusion has had public input, not a public blackout. Conversely, the cases that are "held close to the vest" seem to drag on, getting colder and colder, probably along with the body.

If I lived there and LE told/asked me not to discuss this case, they'd darned sure be giving me a good reason why or I'd be on every talk show from Oregon to Miami Beach and everything in between.

There is, however, one exception - I tend to believe they have a poi, the sm, and/or other relative, but don't have enough evidence for an arrest. If this turns out NOT to be the case, I hope the community takes a good look at the possible danger other children were subjected to by the LE assurances and take appropriate action.

My opinion onlyTrident, thanks for saying this. This is why that I am holding out hope that it is the SM/family member and the focus right now is on trying to find Kyron, even if they know it is her. But, they haven't said it and they are going to get to a point where they have to give out something or else, it'll backfire and people will start to panic, go to the media, etc. And I just wonder how long before the general public does start doing that? How long do you trust LE and that they are going to solve this and bring this boy home?

DMansMom
06-25-2010, 02:43 PM
BBM

I also felt that OP was being highly critical and is bashing locals and LE. I am surprised this thread hasn't been locked. It's easy to sit on the outside and criticize when you don't really know what's going on and are just purely speculating.

I would be saying the same thing if it were happening in my own backyard. And I thought that I said all of that in my first post. I'm not criticizing. I'm saying that I'm surprised. 3 weeks have passed of a little boy seemingly to have vanished without a trace from a public school and I guess I would have thought that perhaps someone from the community might have said something to the effect of being scared, frightened, angry, ready for some answers...something. It's like everyone has closed ranks and they aren't saying a peep and I hope that this ends with a positive outcome because otherwise, 3 weeks is a good amount of time for a case to go very cold.

I will repost what I wrote above:
Unless you guys know more, there hasn't been one additional shred of information given out that would lead anyone to think that it was a family member and there is no immediate danger to other children. The investigators haven't verified that, so to me, it would seem like there is a potential danger and if I lived there, I would be wanting some answers to that very question. I'm not saying "do it my way". I'm saying, if I lived there, I would want some answers by now and I would be going to the media to say it.

mauirain
06-25-2010, 02:46 PM

I am local as well and I don't feel criticized by this post at all. Everyone is entitled to have their own opinion and questions when they feel something isn't right. We need that sense of urgency, I would want it if my child was missing....

ella971
06-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Why no public out cry...I'm only speaking for myself." No immediate danger to other children".I would want to know what leads you to believe this? If they have a lead they are working on fine.They could tell me something, anything to help me feel like my child is safe.I would be on high alert.When in doubt say no. How can you silence a whole town?

DMansMom
06-25-2010, 03:17 PM
How can you silence a whole town?
I don't know how you can!

Like I said, for those who think I am being hyper-critical, I hope like hell that who LE is leading everyone to think it is indeed the perp in this case. I hope like hell that Kyron is still alive and safe 21 days after disappearing. But there have been other cases, with other LE, that pointed to a step parent, too, but LE couldn't get enough evidence to convict. So much so that, I believe, the community gave up searching for the abducted. Jaycee Dugard's stepdad said that Jaycee was taken from in front of their house by a man and a woman and they drove off in their car with her. Although they never were able to get enough evidence to put him on trial, LE always thought it was the stepdad who had done something with Jaycee. 18 years later, she was found, and there had always been that man and woman just like the stepfather had said.

It's been 3 weeks since Kyron went missing and my reason for being so interested in this case is not because I'm a crime sleuth or a whodunnit buff; but I wanted to know how a little boy could vanish from a public school so easily and I worried about my own little 7 year old boy. I also thought Kyron would have been found by now. It does not look like a good outcome and with no information coming from LE, I'm going to back to lurker mode and wait for something to come in from the google alert I set up on Kyron.

I hope that it is that he is found safe.

Thanks, everyone!

WhyaDuck?
06-25-2010, 03:17 PM
IIRC, there have been candlelight vigils, a petition/movement to get cameras, a lot of local interest in the case and those few days where the media said concerned parents were keeping their kids out of school. I'm not sure what else I would expect from this community, aside from a missing persons group rising up for search efforts, but perhaps LE hasn't asked (if they are expecting to find a deceased child, they likely wouldn't ask, as nothing is worse for a crime scene than 100 well meaning but untrained volunteers). With Hasanni, there arose a very vocal and useful volunteer group that now also works for other missing kids, but I don't really blame the locals for not doing that if they feel the case is being handled by professionals.

Crime is not resolved quickly - pounding on LE's door really doesn't help speed it up. I dunno - I'm Canadian, so maybe the folks in Oregon and I have a more similar approach to things, in which you don't really get into a big public display unless it will actually result in some good product...?

I am a little surprized (and annoyed) when media outlets fail to put a missing kid on their homepage, but I don't blame the locals. There has been reaction, it's just been a bit laid back, publicly. As long as witnesses come forward with what they know and people keep an eye out for Kyron, I'm not sure what else we can expect them all to do.

That's just my two cents, so take it for what it's worth. I mean no disrespect towards anyone, whether they agree with me or not on things.

WhyaDuck?
06-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Also, I wonder if this is an effect we are seeing from the internet. Perhaps people don't do things, en masse, in public any more because they can hop on media news posts and message boards like this one and express their opinion. That has both good and bad sides to it, I guess - like pretty much every other change in society.

Manfro
06-25-2010, 03:30 PM
I think school being out is key as well.

That also makes me wonder whether they think the abductor works at the school, which is why they're saying other children aren't in immediate danger.

RoughlyCollie
06-25-2010, 03:32 PM
Because I'm now in the "If they don't arrest the stepmom by this weekend, I think they have screwed up and don't have a clue" camp, personally.

I don't think that LE necessarily screwed up if they haven't found Kyron and/or made an arrest soon, or even after a month.

LE has to work with the clues and leads they have, and if the information isn't there, they cannot manufacture it.

I have wondered if someone kidnapped Kyron for ransom and the initial contact was made, but none were made after that. This is unlikely, but I still think it is possible.

WhyaDuck?
06-25-2010, 03:32 PM

BBM

Ha! You pin it on east/west, and I go north/south, so maybe you and I are on to something or other here. I'm from the east coast of Canada, and I don't think they'd react all that differently there than in Oregon, from what I have seen. Search parties are easy to rouse, but they are done at the request of LE, and usually in a time when weather or something makes it absolutely imperative to find someone who has been lost (not stolen). Otherwise, we usually only get het up over union things and fishing rights. :twocents:

WhyaDuck?
06-25-2010, 03:35 PM
I think school being out is key as well.

That also makes me wonder whether they think the abductor works at the school, which is why they're saying other children aren't in immediate danger.

I agree. Once the scene of the crime is not in play any more, I think that impacts the discussion a lot, and you might be on to something with the kidnapping being intricately connected with the school.

In any case, I would guess that people are watching their kids a lot closer this summer.

chasing.halos
06-25-2010, 03:43 PM
I didn't see this posted but maybe I missed it... here is one thing the community is doing:

Portland woman starts petition for 'Kyron's Law' to put surveillance cameras in schools nationwide
Portland resident Emmilie Caterham has started an online petition to bring security cameras to schools across the country.

Caterham said the idea for "Kyron's Law" -- which she hopes will require schools to install surveillance systems -- came after following the story of the missing Kyron Horman and talking to people on Facebook

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/portland_woman_starts_petition.html

I think it's fantastic. MOO.

WhyaDuck?
06-25-2010, 03:49 PM
Search for Kyron Horman: Scared Parents Keep Kids Out of School
Cops: 'We are Looking for a Living Kyron Horman'

31 comments By NEAL KARLINSKY and SARAH NETTER
June 9, 2010

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Media/kyron-horman-scared-parents-kids-school-boy-vanished/story?id=10864503

June 16, 2010 11:20 AM
Kyron Horman Update: Hundreds Attend "Vigil of Hope"

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20007876-504083.html

Wall of Hope at Skyline School maintains vigil for Kyron Horman
Published: Tuesday, June 22, 2010, 12:53 PM
Updated: Tuesday, June 22, 2010, 2:20 PM

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/wall_of_hope_at_skyline_school.html

(Just realized I didn't back up my earlier post with any links. TY to Chasing Halos for the petition link!)

mauirain
06-25-2010, 03:55 PM
IIRC, there have been candlelight vigils, a petition/movement to get cameras, a lot of local interest in the case and those few days where the media said concerned parents were keeping their kids out of school. I'm not sure what else I would expect from this community, aside from a missing persons group rising up for search efforts, but perhaps LE hasn't asked (if they are expecting to find a deceased child, they likely wouldn't ask, as nothing is worse for a crime scene than 100 well meaning but untrained volunteers). With Hasanni, there arose a very vocal and useful volunteer group that now also works for other missing kids, but I don't really blame the locals for not doing that if they feel the case is being handled by professionals.

Crime is not resolved quickly - pounding on LE's door really doesn't help speed it up. I dunno - I'm Canadian, so maybe the folks in Oregon and I have a more similar approach to things, in which you don't really get into a big public display unless it will actually result in some good product...?

I am a little surprized (and annoyed) when media outlets fail to put a missing kid on their homepage, but I don't blame the locals. There has been reaction, it's just been a bit laid back, publicly. As long as witnesses come forward with what they know and people keep an eye out for Kyron, I'm not sure what else we can expect them all to do.

That's just my two cents, so take it for what it's worth. I mean no disrespect towards anyone, whether they agree with me or not on things.

I am just mentioning a thought i just had reguarding the bolded statement above. I was just thinking about crime scene preservation. Where a search for a child is concerned do you think it is more important to preserve evidence than to find the child as quickly as possible with more people looking....trained or untrained???? The thought just popped into my head. I am not going against LE or the way things are done, i am just wondering. Sorry off topic. :waitasec:

Edited to add: So many cases seem to end with some hunter or hiker or worker finding the missing person on accident and might i say in places previously searched by LE.... MHO

WhyaDuck?
06-25-2010, 03:59 PM
I am just mentioning a thought i just had reguarding the bolded statement above. I was just thinking about crime scene preservation. Where a search for a child is concerned do you think it is more important to preserve evidence than to find the child as quickly as possible with more people looking....trained or untrained???? The thought just popped into my head. I am not going against LE or the way things are done, i am just wondering. Sorry off topic. :waitasec:

I think if they thought the child would still be alive, recovering the living child would take precedence. But in cases where the child is presumed dead on some decision making level, preserving the evidence for conviction is top priority. We saw a lot of discussion of this in the Tori Stafford case here, locally, and people being frustrated with not more public search parties being called, but my understanding was that LE didn't want the possible sites trampled. We covered this when I was in my forensics degree - there's a lot of pros and cons all around. (Not posting as an "insider," just my personal opinion, which may be worth bubkes.)

But I think they may be concerned all the LE, along with the National Guard, may be trouble enough in this crucial time where physical evidence might still be salvageable. In time, when that is no longer an option, they might be less concerned about public searches/finding, IDK.

Again, just my opinion. MOO, etc.

ETA: To be perfectly clear - I do not work for LE, I do not speak for LE, I am not a local, I don't know nothing from nothing, etc. I do not mean to imply that LE would risk the child's life EVER in order just to preserve evidence - just that this is a consideration in their processes from my personal understanding (which could be wrong), and with their resources at this moment it might not be worth the risk. MOO, MHO, JMO, :cow: , :twocents: , etc, etc.

PortlandMama
06-25-2010, 04:07 PM
I live right over the bridge in Wa. 15 minutes to portland airport. It has been very frustrating because LE states it is an isolated incident, but no POI. Just not sure they even have a clue. I guess we as parents have to be careful no matter what. So many thoughts go thru my mind, one minute I am pissed that LE would say the public is not entitled to any information. The next minute, I am hoping they are doing this because they do have their eye on someone and do not want to make any mistakes. I feel they do have someone they have their eye on. With what we do know from the PC and statements from LE, I would be keeping my eye on that person as well.

I just posted this on another thread in this forum: This worries me, because I don’t think LE ever actually said this, and I think it is affecting our communal thinking about what may have happened here, and about how much LE does or does not know. I think the news media paraphrased him (incorrectly, IMO) and this is being picked up repeatedly by other media, including social media (and on these threads).

I think what Jason Gates said was, “We have no reason to believe that this is anything other than an isolated case.” That was on Day 5. That’s a far cry from knowing it IS an isolated incident. It simply means they have no specific evidence that points to it being a random abduction. It does not conversely mean that they do have specific evidence pointing to it not being random. The same holds true for similar comments he has made about no reason to believe that other kids are in any danger or at risk, etc. He may have no reason NOT to believe it either, but it doesn’t help to send our community into a panic based on no evidence. (And there has been plenty of local coverage about teaching our kids stranger danger, nevertheless, as there probably should be.)

Can anyone point to a direct quote from Jason Gates or other LE connected with the case stating explicitly, “This is an isolated incident”? TIA.

BeanE
06-25-2010, 04:16 PM
I just posted this on another thread in this forum: This worries me, because I don’t think LE ever actually said this, and I think it is affecting our communal thinking about what may have happened here, and about how much LE does or does not know. I think the news media paraphrased him (incorrectly, IMO) and this is being picked up repeatedly by other media, including social media (and on these threads).

I think what Jason Gates said was, “We have no reason to believe that this is anything other than an isolated case.” That was on Day 5. That’s a far cry from knowing it IS an isolated incident. It simply means they have no specific evidence that points to it being a random abduction. It does not conversely mean that they do have specific evidence pointing to it not being random. The same holds true for similar comments he has made about no reason to believe that other kids are in any danger or at risk, etc. He may have no reason NOT to believe it either, but it doesn’t help to send our community into a panic based on no evidence. (And there has been plenty of local coverage about teaching our kids stranger danger, nevertheless, as there probably should be.)

Can anyone point to a direct quote from Jason Gates or other LE connected with the case stating explicitly, “This is an isolated incident”? TIA.

He said 'isolated case', not 'isolated incident'.

Gates said nearly all of the students at the school have been interviewed, as well as the majority of the faculty and staff. He said that investigators "have no reason to believe this is anything but an isolated case," and that area families need not take extra precautions with their children.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20007198-504083.html

mauirain
06-25-2010, 04:29 PM

Sorry, I wasn't trying to quote anyone. But I don't think it is a "far cry" either.....I mean are we as parents of young children supposed to try to read between the lines of every statement LE makes????????

mauirain
06-25-2010, 04:35 PM
He said 'isolated case', not 'isolated incident'.

Gates said nearly all of the students at the school have been interviewed, as well as the majority of the faculty and staff. He said that investigators "have no reason to believe this is anything but an isolated case," and that area families need not take extra precautions with their children.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20007198-504083.html

Sorry, it was me who said "isolated case"......I wasn't trying to give a direct quote. I don't think the majority of the public can quote word for word either. I am just saying that was the message that is coming across.

PDXMom
06-25-2010, 04:38 PM
I am local as well and I don't feel criticized by this post at all. Everyone is entitled to have their own opinion and questions when they feel something isn't right. We need that sense of urgency, I would want it if my child was missing....

Nor do I feel criticized by anyone's opinion. Locals don't have the only right to state their opinions. I'm local too, BTW.

URGENCY - yes, that's what is missing here! We have supposedly hundreds of people working on this case exclusively, the FBI is in town (or working on this case remotely?), a child disappeared from a *public school*. Why do we not see any increased police presence anywhere? Why are there no apparent searches anymore? Why does no one interviewed in the media seem angry that this has happened? Why does *no one* say "look for Kyron!" With the release of all these pictures and videos, no one has come out and asked the public to help find him, look for him at kids' events, summer festivals, or anywhere. That's really disturbing to me. We have nothing to go on but cryptic non-statments by *crying* LE. Feels like there's a volcano right under my feet here in Portland. And I also feel our community is being bullied by LE right now, in that if any individual were to get that sense of urgency so sorely lacking right now, they'd swiftly be accused of "hampering the investigation". That's BS, misleading, and unfair, IMHO.

dorothyz
06-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Nor do I feel criticized by anyone's opinion. Locals don't have the only right to state their opinions. I'm local too, BTW.

URGENCY - yes, that's what is missing here! We have supposedly hundreds of people working on this case exclusively, the FBI is in town (or working on this case remotely?), a child disappeared from a *public school*. Why do we not see any increased police presence anywhere? Why are there no apparent searches anymore? Why does no one interviewed in the media seem angry that this has happened? Why does *no one* say "look for Kyron!" With the release of all these pictures and videos, no one has come out and asked the public to help find him, look for him at kids' events, summer festivals, or anywhere. That's really disturbing to me. We have nothing to go on but cryptic non-statments by *crying* LE. Feels like there's a volcano right under my feet here in Portland. And I also feel our community is being bullied by LE right now, in that if any individual were to get that sense of urgency so sorely lacking right now, they'd swiftly be accused of "hampering the investigation". That's BS, misleading, and unfair, IMHO.

I have to agree with this, and am also local. While I don't feel we necessarily have any right to know about the details of the investigation if it will harm the case, I am very surprised more people aren't demanding more, and that there aren't more unauthorized searches going on. It makes me wonder if LE has given some type of assurance to the other parents that we don't know about. Still, that's hundreds of people to keep under wraps.

mauirain
06-25-2010, 04:47 PM

YES!YES!YES! you have hit in on the nose, I am feeling the same way. Thank you so much for saying that.

PDXMom
06-25-2010, 04:57 PM
YES!YES!YES! you have hit in on the nose, I am feeling the same way. Thank you so much for saying that.

*huff* Now I'm all riled up. :headache:

DMansMom
06-25-2010, 05:01 PM

URGENCY - yes, that's what is missing here! We have supposedly hundreds of people working on this case exclusively, the FBI is in town (or working on this case remotely?), a child disappeared from a *public school*. Why do we not see any increased police presence anywhere? Why are there no apparent searches anymore? Why does no one interviewed in the media seem angry that this has happened? Why does *no one* say "look for Kyron!" With the release of all these pictures and videos, no one has come out and asked the public to help find him, look for him at kids' events, summer festivals, or anywhere. That's really disturbing to me. We have nothing to go on but cryptic non-statments by *crying* LE. Feels like there's a volcano right under my feet here in Portland. And I also feel our community is being bullied by LE right now, in that if any individual were to get that sense of urgency so sorely lacking right now, they'd swiftly be accused of "hampering the investigation". That's BS, misleading, and unfair, IMHO.I'm glad to hear you saying this. And I'm glad you are apart of the community and saying this!

Mylou
06-25-2010, 05:02 PM
I have to say I admire the passion in this thread! If I had a child at that school, Id either be fundraising to have camera's installed at all entrances and exits. Or Id be home schooling, or moving.
I find it hard to believe in a school that size, no one seen anything. Surely people have seen one another for years at that school, in the mornings, afternoons, events. I don't buy that no one seen anything that day.
People have no problem scrutinizing others on the internet, I believe they do so in public as much if not more so. They may fear saying it in public, but have no problem with hiding behind a pc.
I believe someone seen something and they have not gone forward to the police in this case.
So I say who ever you are, please go forward and speak. It could very well be your child or your neighbours child next.

Hephaestus
06-25-2010, 06:13 PM
@DMansMom,

Where do I start?

First, I'm here in Portland, Oregon, so local to this. My wife and I have two sons and two daughters. My boys are 6 and 9 so this hits home for us, even moreso since it is in our area.

Second, while my current field is digital marketing / internet marketing, I am prior service Army and have law enforcement experience.

That said, I cannot speak for anyone but myself when you ask why there has not been more community outcry. There are so many things that just make no sense about this case, I don't know where to start. So many unanswered questions.

I've not personally gotten involved with blaming the school staff because my gut tells me that there's no way a stranger abduction could happen as it's been described. We teach our kids from early on that if a stranger grabs you, to yell "This is not my Dad!" or "This is Not my Mom!".

While I don't personally have children at Skyline, I can tell you that there are enough adults around that had Kyron known something was wrong or yelled, we wouldn't be talking about this now.

That leads me to believe that either this is a non-stranger abduction (he knew the person - family or friend of family); or that he never made it to school that morning and the SM is fabricating this to cover something up.

Neither of the above scenarios lead me to be any more cautious or concerned with my kids than my wife and I have been all along. We've always taken common sense security precautions with them, regardless of this case.

Neither of the above scenarios lead me to want to shake the tree and blame the Skyline school or the school district. So, while I cannot speak for others here in Portland, I can tell you that as a parent of four children and a prior LE, I'm not outraged at the way this is being handled. Why?

Because it's blatantly obvious that LE is looking heavily at the SM but they just don't have a body (God forbid) yet or enough proof. And yes, while they are in evidence gathering mode, it is frustrating for average folks because the only thing you and I see is what the media publishes. Trust me. The SM is likely under surveilance. They still have many detectives working the case. But IMHO all signs point to this being a non-stranger abduction that may or may not have taken place on school grounds.

Questions I have had that remain unanswered:

The white Ford F250 looked late model in the photo. If it was NOT towed for evidence processing and if it WAS towed at the request of family to be fixed, is it back in operation yet? Has anyone verified that it went to a repair place?

Why are we just now seeing home videos of Kyron and additional photos being released by the family 3 weeks later?

What were the results of the two polygraphs that SM took?

Why did SM not call 911 herself that day? I can tell you that if my kid did not get off the bus, my first call would be to the school, but that once I heard that he had been marked absent that day, I would PERSONALLY call 911 to get information out. I would NOT rely on a school secretary to do this for me. I see no evidence that SM ever called 911 herself about this case and that SMELLS, bigtime.

This story has gotten national attention and continues to; but it's obvious that LE are focusing the investigation here in Portland. My guess is that they are doing that for a reason. It's NOT that they don't know what they are doing. Hell they are working with Federal, State and Local officers and detectives on this. One thing they don't have is a lack of talent and resources on it.

When I saw that LE was putting out a flyer with photos of the SM and her truck and asking people to fill out a questionnaire, I immediately saw that as LE putting pressure on the SM to see how she would react to it. Would she flee? How would she behave or react? "If" her phone conversations are being monitored, what would she say? I would be HIGHLY surprised if she were not under 24 hour surveillance by LE.

Too many questions unanswered. What was she doing over on Sauvie Island that day? Or did someone borrow her cell phone? Who knows?

There are too many people here in Portland who are watching this for it to go "cold". We're not making a huge stink about it because for all purposes we (I) believe that it is a family member abduction or that he never was at school that morning.

So no, we are not blaming the school. Although I agree 110% that all schools should have digital surveillance in place, even with good systems there is not 100% coverage. There's digital surveillance in the public school that our kids attend here and we STILL use common sense, walking them from the car to the classroom etc. There IS an automated phone system in our public school that calls us within an hour if our kid is absent. That's been in place for several years so I was really surprised to see it not at Skyline.

Skyline is in a fairly rural area. It's by no means desolate or isolated, but my point is simply that it's not urban. It's not downtown Portland. If there appeared to be a reason to be screaming at the school district, trust me, people would. All I can think is that many folks feel like I do that - look, we're already protecting our own children and this is not a stranger abduction from a public school during school hours.

One positive outcome from this locally is that it has increased awareness, which is great. I hope we have an outcome soon. I really do. But like other LE folks who are looking at this, the cards are not in our favor. Almost a 12 hour window before he gets reported missing? That's horrible in a missing kid case.

cluciano63
06-25-2010, 06:33 PM
I think LE is humoring that community by asking for tips-if they really want tips, they should be telling the public what to be looking for. People near school that day, in neighborhood, people who have moved away, who passed through town, who quit a job at a local store this month, etc...not just, yeah, sure, call in tips and maybe we will get back to you.

They seem only to want to hear from the people who were at the school, that much seems clear to me. And it almost seems as though finding Kyron would be a plus, but no no one is going out of their way at this point, they already said they did not need a body to press charges against anyone.

I am a cynic, bigtime, but have really just about had it with the lack of urgency that seems to be surrounding this case. I am not usually a type to be frantic about anything, but is anyone frantic about this case, except for those who did not even know Kyron? Am not getting this at all and sad to say, I am beginning to lose interest, without anything but theories to go on. And that says a lot as I have been passionately interested from the start. And I still check in on poor Haleigh's threads every day...so I know I don't really mean it. But people not personally affected will lose interest soon...it is human nature.

bdawk20
06-25-2010, 06:44 PM
Is the overwhelming sentiment locally that this was NOT a stranger abduction? That seems to be the only reason to me that people would not be up-in-arms that a child could just disappear from a school like this. I would imagine that if people believed a stranger came into the school and either lured or forceably took Kyron, they would be demanding answers and that steps be taken to ensure the safety of their children while attending that school.

Angel4u2Whisper2
06-25-2010, 06:50 PM
Hephaestus,

:Welcome-12-june:

And thank you for your informative post and personal insight!

PDXMom
06-25-2010, 06:57 PM
(snipped)

They seem only to want to hear from the people who were at the school, that much seems clear to me. And it almost seems as though finding Kyron would be a plus, but no no one is going out of their way at this point, they already said they did not need a body to press charges against anyone.

I am a cynic, bigtime, but have really just about had it with the lack of urgency that seems to be surrounding this case. I am not usually a type to be frantic about anything, but is anyone frantic about this case, except for those who did not even know Kyron?

Exactly. They don't seem frantic at all. They just seem resigned. There have been no unscripted comments directly by the parents or LE. I am frantic enough for the lot of them!

And right, what about the school community? What has LE said to them to scare them silent? I can't imagine 600 (well 599) parents in Portland just deciding on their own to keep it on the low down. As a parent, I would feel an obligation to let my fellow parents know whether there was a community risk, a neighborhood risk, or even a risk on one particular block. It's not like this is a gated community of savvy lawyers here. These are regular folks. WTH did LE say to them?? Why isn't someone screaming at the school for its lack of security and its miscommunication? I love my little local school, but if that school lost a kid (not even mine), I'd be talking to every media outlet I could find to get answers - feelings be danged. (tempered epithets)

cluciano63
06-25-2010, 07:00 PM
Besides, LE assured the entire city of Portland, basically, in press conferences, not just parents at this one school, that no one was in danger. So everyone in Portland said, fine Ok, that's a relief, let's not worry about it, let's just let LE do thier thing in secret? I am getting a little beyond impatient, personally.

PDXMom
06-25-2010, 07:03 PM
Is the overwhelming sentiment locally that this was NOT a stranger abduction? That seems to be the only reason to me that people would not be up-in-arms that a child could just disappear from a school like this. I would imagine that if people believed a stranger came into the school and either lured or forceably took Kyron, they would be demanding answers and that steps be taken to ensure the safety of their children while attending that school.

But if they (around the school) were told as much as we were, how would they be convinced that someone will not pick their child next. Seems like that would be a hard sell to a frightened parent. Maybe they were told more. Maybe the people closest to the school are more convinced, based on the questions they were asked and the places LE searched. I live several miles away and haven't heard anything to convince me it's as safe as ever.

Mylou
06-25-2010, 07:05 PM
What concerns me the most, if family members were not involved, if strangers were not involved, then who? IIRC watching the interview today with the Mom and Dad, The Father said they had been teaching Kyron to listen and pay attention to adults at school, teachers and helpers.
We have heard he knew about stranger danger etc....
I remember reading not so long ago about parents having to reteach children about stranger danger because a high percentage of people they need to be protected from are people they already know, they are not strangers to them. How does one teach their child to listen to teachers and helpers yet at the same time teach them about stranger danger and people they know. How many cases where the perp pretended to be a police officer , etc... People that children feel they should trust. Police, teachers, helpers, their parents, parents of their friends, etc....
I do not believe this is a case of a stranger either, but someone Kyron knew and trusted.
I really hope they are investigating from the school outwards as well as from the family outwards.

greenbean
06-25-2010, 07:09 PM
I live in Florida and when I hear mention of community outcry it calls to mind protesters with overheated dogs and kids getting their arms slammed in car doors (Anthony protesters.) I just don't think camping out in front of the police station or holding press conferences or showing up at community meetings to demand answers is going to accomplish much other than frustration. I don't think there are things that members of law enforcement hold back until someone gets in their faces about it. I also think that it's probably pretty standard when a child goes missing to tell the public they should not panic. I cannot fathom what the outcome would be if they said "Go ahead and panic!" People are going to watch their kids more closely when something like this happens, regardless of what the police say.

Hephaestus
06-25-2010, 07:16 PM
"They don't seem frantic at all. They just seem resigned. There have been no unscripted comments directly by the parents or LE. I am frantic enough for the lot of them!"

See that's another thing to me that's odd behavior. Were this my kid, I'd be raising hell, I'd be getting in front of the media more than twice, and while I'd probably be reading a statement and taking no questions from the media, I'd damn sure be emotional about it.

I just don't see the immediate family reacting as I would if my child disappeared. I don't care what LE told them to do or not do. If I wasn't seeing results, as a parent I would take action on behalf of my child. I don't see the family doing that. To their credit, we all should understand that our window on this case is a fairly small one that is largely based on what the media reports.

I don't have kids at Skyline but I do live in Portland and have children in elementary school. There are some significant things that should have been done at Skyline - cameras, phone absence system etc. - but I still don't see this as a stranger abduction.

greenbean
06-25-2010, 07:18 PM
But they have family that is a homicide detective. That kind of leads me to believe they would follow law enforcement's lead.

eyes4crime
06-25-2010, 07:21 PM
But they have family that is a homicide detective. That kind of leads me to believe they would follow law enforcement's lead.

I agree! And I wonder how much input step-dad, homicide detective Tony has? I would be quite a bit. mhoo

Hephaestus
06-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Is the overwhelming sentiment locally that this was NOT a stranger abduction?

Hard to tell. Impossible to tell. Somewhat irrelevant to want to find out I think. Speaking for myself, I believe it was NOT a stranger abduction. What do the rest of the locals thinK? I don't think it would be appropriate to poll them for sentiment. I don't think it would change anything. You still have a kid missing. You still don't have a lot of answers.

Frankly, I'm not doing anything different with my kids' security than I did the week before Kyron went missing - or last year for that matter. We know where they are. We teach siblings to buddy up and care for each other when possible (we have four kids) - example: Older daughter physically walks 5 year old from our car dropoff, the 20 feet to school entrance and inside directly to his teacher. Even inside the school we talk to them about safety and what to do and let them ask questions.

What ARE we doing differently with our kids? We're hugging them a bit more and praying for Kyron's safe return.

ella971
06-25-2010, 07:28 PM
Hard to tell. Impossible to tell. Somewhat irrelevant to want to find out I think. Speaking for myself, I believe it was NOT a stranger abduction. What do the rest of the locals thinK? I don't think it would be appropriate to poll them for sentiment. I don't think it would change anything. You still have a kid missing. You still don't have a lot of answers.

Frankly, I'm not doing anything different with my kids' security than I did the week before Kyron went missing - or last year for that matter. We know where they are. We teach siblings to buddy up and care for each other when possible (we have four kids) - example: Older daughter physically walks 5 year old from our car dropoff, the 20 feet to school entrance and inside directly to his teacher. Even inside the school we talk to them about safety and what to do and let them ask questions.

What ARE we doing differently with our kids? We're hugging them a bit more and praying for Kyron's safe return.

Thank You very much for coming on and sharing with us.Welcome.

bdawk20
06-25-2010, 07:32 PM

I wasn't suggesting that the locals be polled about what they think happened. I was just supposing that if there has been no public outcry, that perhaps it is because people there feel that this was perpetrated by someone he knows - that he was specifically targeted.

sofia76
06-25-2010, 07:35 PM
*respectfully snipped & BBM

I think getting your daughter pepper spray is an excellent idea. When I was a teen I had a best friend that was more like a big brother and very protective. As soon as I got my first car he bought me my first can of pepper spray to go on my key chain. It never hurts to be prepared, especially young women!

Just be sure to check the laws in your state first.

RandomThoughts
06-25-2010, 08:26 PM
I would at the very least not send my kid back to a school there that didn't have a proper signing in/out procedure that is actually followed. I really didn't even know that ALL schools didn't do this. And a school like Kyrons that has limited points of entry should at least have video at those points...that wouldn't be as costly.

I think LE has a POI even if they are saying they don't. I agree with Steadfast's observation below. You may THINK you are working with LE, but really LE is working on you. They are pros and they don't need help from grieving parents.

The school district my kids go to has a sign in/out procedure for regular school days. When my youngest was in a play for his grade level a few weeks ago, any family/friends could attend. They didn't enforce the usual sign in/out, I noticed it was roughly half did sign in and half didn't. When the play ended the principal did tell everyone that they could take their child home if they wanted to, but stressed that the teacher had to be told and the child had to be signed out. On my way out, all available teachers and staff were in the halls and by all the non usual entrance/exits, and the principle was by the entrance. I noticed that she greeted every parent by name then said something to each child using their name.

IMO, LE has something to go on, otherwise they would probably be saying more to the public. And personally, I would much rather not everything getting out as a defense lawyer could claim that the defendant couldn't get a fair trial because they wouldn't get an unbiased jury.

sofia76
06-25-2010, 08:31 PM
This is a really good discussion. I am a local parent, but don't have kids in school, so I wasn't especially alarmed about school safety. However, Hephaestus put it all really well. And I understand the Original Poster's question - it does seem weird, doesn't it? People are concerned about Kyron but not particularly alarmed in general. I think a lot of that has to do with the way LE and the family are behaving. They are really setting the tone for this. I think if we had seen tearful, frantic parents on tv that first night, there would be a lot more public fear. Fear is contagious. Instead, they seemed sad and with little to say. The PCs that have happened so far with the parents make them appear to be grieving, not hoping for a miracle, desperate for answers, or fearful that the person responsible for Kyron's disappearance might strike again.

I really hope the LE have more answers than they are letting on. If it turns out they have no clue at all, people are going to be pissed.

pdx
06-25-2010, 09:49 PM
People are concerned about Kyron but not particularly alarmed in general. I think a lot of that has to do with the way LE and the family are behaving. They are really setting the tone for this. I think if we had seen tearful, frantic parents on tv that first night, there would be a lot more public fear. Fear is contagious.

Yes. +1 to this, and I don't know if it's because LE made a concerted effort to make this case different from the typical template missing children/people cases have taken in recent history (24 hour news cycle etc) or it's just because this case is so.. different.

Thanks for the comments on my earlier comment, everyone. We're all friends, and we're just talking. :)

nomoresorrow
06-25-2010, 10:07 PM
In my very humble opinion...

I would urge parents and caretakers to use wisdom AND caution in assessing LE's public statements. We would all like to believe that LE would announce if a heightened threat existed, especially toward our children - unfortunately this just isn't the case. In reality LE's job is not only to investigate this case, like it or not, it is also aimed and geared at reducing public panic. To the question "Why No Community Outcry? The answer (IMO) is because LE has, thus far, successfully mediated and managed their public statements...

MOO ~

Wonderlover
06-26-2010, 12:28 AM
Dmansmom, you said it best and I am with you 100%... so right, so right, so right

arielilane
06-26-2010, 12:44 AM
@DMansMom,

Where do I start?

First, I'm here in Portland, Oregon, so local to this. My wife and I have two sons and two daughters. My boys are 6 and 9 so this hits home for us, even moreso since it is in our area.

Second, while my current field is digital marketing / internet marketing, I am prior service Army and have law enforcement experience.

That said, I cannot speak for anyone but myself when you ask why there has not been more community outcry. There are so many things that just make no sense about this case, I don't know where to start. So many unanswered questions.

I've not personally gotten involved with blaming the school staff because my gut tells me that there's no way a stranger abduction could happen as it's been described. We teach our kids from early on that if a stranger grabs you, to yell "This is not my Dad!" or "This is Not my Mom!".

While I don't personally have children at Skyline, I can tell you that there are enough adults around that had Kyron known something was wrong or yelled, we wouldn't be talking about this now.

That leads me to believe that either this is a non-stranger abduction (he knew the person - family or friend of family); or that he never made it to school that morning and the SM is fabricating this to cover something up.

Neither of the above scenarios lead me to be any more cautious or concerned with my kids than my wife and I have been all along. We've always taken common sense security precautions with them, regardless of this case.

Neither of the above scenarios lead me to want to shake the tree and blame the Skyline school or the school district. So, while I cannot speak for others here in Portland, I can tell you that as a parent of four children and a prior LE, I'm not outraged at the way this is being handled. Why?

Because it's blatantly obvious that LE is looking heavily at the SM but they just don't have a body (God forbid) yet or enough proof. And yes, while they are in evidence gathering mode, it is frustrating for average folks because the only thing you and I see is what the media publishes. Trust me. The SM is likely under surveilance. They still have many detectives working the case. But IMHO all signs point to this being a non-stranger abduction that may or may not have taken place on school grounds.

The white Ford F250 looked late model in the photo. If it was NOT towed for evidence processing and if it WAS towed at the request of family to be fixed, is it back in operation yet? Has anyone verified that it went to a repair place?

Why are we just now seeing home videos of Kyron and additional photos being released by the family 3 weeks later?

Why did SM not call 911 herself that day? I can tell you that if my kid did not get off the bus, my first call would be to the school, but that once I heard that he had been marked absent that day, I would PERSONALLY call 911 to get information out. I would NOT rely on a school secretary to do this for me. I see no evidence that SM ever called 911 herself about this case and that SMELLS, bigtime.

This story has gotten national attention and continues to; but it's obvious that LE are focusing the investigation here in Portland. My guess is that they are doing that for a reason. It's NOT that they don't know what they are doing. Hell they are working with Federal, State and Local officers and detectives on this. One thing they don't have is a lack of talent and resources on it.

When I saw that LE was putting out a flyer with photos of the SM and her truck and asking people to fill out a questionnaire, I immediately saw that as LE putting pressure on the SM to see how she would react to it. Would she flee? How would she behave or react? "If" her phone conversations are being monitored, what would she say? I would be HIGHLY surprised if she were not under 24 hour surveillance by LE.

Too many questions unanswered. What was she doing over on Sauvie Island that day? Or did someone borrow her cell phone? Who knows?

There are too many people here in Portland who are watching this for it to go "cold". We're not making a huge stink about it because for all purposes we (I) believe that it is a family member abduction or that he never was at school that morning.

So no, we are not blaming the school. Although I agree 110% that all schools should have digital surveillance in place, even with good systems there is not 100% coverage. There's digital surveillance in the public school that our kids attend here and we STILL use common sense, walking them from the car to the classroom etc. There IS an automated phone system in our public school that calls us within an hour if our kid is absent. That's been in place for several years so I was really surprised to see it not at Skyline.

Skyline is in a fairly rural area. It's by no means desolate or isolated, but my point is simply that it's not urban. It's not downtown Portland. If there appeared to be a reason to be screaming at the school district, trust me, people would. All I can think is that many folks feel like I do that - look, we're already protecting our own children and this is not a stranger abduction from a public school during school hours.

One positive outcome from this locally is that it has increased awareness, which is great. I hope we have an outcome soon. I really do. But like other LE folks who are looking at this, the cards are not in our favor. Almost a 12 hour window before he gets reported missing? That's horrible in a missing kid case. Welcome to WS, Hephaestus! Thank you for your informative and well thought out post.

GrainneDhu
06-26-2010, 01:24 AM
sorry, just my two cents...I want to see searchers, different searchers, especially again in the school.

Desiree Young said that LE was asking for only certified SAR personnel to search and mentioned that she herself would have no idea of what might be evidence, how to handle it if she did find something that might be evidence, etc.

Then Kaine Horman pointed out that, considering the terrain, if the family had gone out searching it was likely they would have gone missing right along with Kyron. That would only contribute to the problem and divert resources from the search for Kyron. Not exactly helpful.

Searchers described pushing through brambles constantly, mud everywhere, having to do 165 foot rappels down steep slopes, etc. At least one certified SAR person had to be evacuated via ambulance due to injuries sustained by the terrain.

That does not sound like the kind of terrain I would feel comfortable asking the average person to come help search.

They lose enough hikers and climbers in Oregon every year without actually suggesting dangerous missions to the enthusiastic but unqualified.

mauirain
06-26-2010, 02:01 AM
@DMansMom,

Where do I start?

One positive outcome from this locally is that it has increased awareness, which is great. I hope we have an outcome soon. I really do. But like other LE folks who are looking at this, the cards are not in our favor. Almost a 12 hour window before he gets reported missing? That's horrible in a missing kid case.

Yes, I agree, it does seem like focus may be on SM, but then I watch interviews like the ones the parents gave this morning and they seem to be portraying themselves as unified. They say SM is passionately involved in finding Kyron...(Not a quote) So that makes me wonder WTH? If they are unified then who took Kyron and that leads me right back to abduction...and then i get scared all over again. I mean, if bio parents are aware that LE may be looking at SM, how can they possibly sit thru these interviews and portray unity? How? I would be out of my mind, and they definately would have to sedate me. The only thing that is obvious to me is that there is a contradiction here............isolated case and family unity.......can you have both?

As far as the school is concerned, if it is revealed that Kyron was indeed taken from Skyline by a perp, there will be hell to pay. I have no doubt about that.

GrainneDhu
06-26-2010, 02:17 AM
Another thought...

While I would love to imagine that Portland has only one single person who would ever harm a seven year old boy, I know it's just not true. Portland has over 2 million people in the area and there are likely to be more than one bad person in the bunch.

So, why would a parent in Portland change what they do with their children? If someone is arrested tomorrow in the case, that doesn't appreciably lower the risk to other children.

mauirain
06-26-2010, 03:44 AM
Another thought...

While I would love to imagine that Portland has only one single person who would ever harm a seven year old boy, I know it's just not true. Portland has over 2 million people in the area and there are likely to be more than one bad person in the bunch.

So, why would a parent in Portland change what they do with their children? If someone is arrested tomorrow in the case, that doesn't appreciably lower the risk to other children.

Except.....that Kyron Horman vanished from "school". That is the one place that I am not able to watch over him. That the one place where my child is among more than 20 other children with only 1 teacher to monitor them. You had better believe I will change what i do, if it is found that a stranger/perp did this crime and is still on the loose. I want to make damn sure my child is safe when I leave him in the hands of school staff. Or, I would consider home schooling. Some may think that is over the top, but it took just one second for Kyron to vanish.....

I still have hope for you little guy....