PDA

View Full Version : 2010.07.07 - Ann Rule weighs in

scandi
07-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Fascinating look at the case by Anne Rule:

KOIN local 6 News
July 7, 2010

Ann Rule on the Kyron Horman case: "I have the feeling it's right on the edge of exploding"

Snippet

http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/news/topstories/story/Ann-Rule-on-the-Kyron-Horman-case-I-have-the/TED_cXMFckKYXIXvWJkXnw.cspx

"Some, including famed author Ann Rule, think something could break any day.

"Either he will be found alive or dead, or maybe someone will come forward, maybe that's whistling in the dark, but I have the feeling it's right on the edge of exploding," Rule told KOIN reporter Araksya Karapetyan.

Despite everything Rule has seen in her long career -- which includes 31 books and over 1,400 articles on murder and kidnapping -- she thinks this is one of the most bizarre cases she has followed. . ." {more at link}
. "

If this article is already here, Mod please delete this post. xox

scandi
07-07-2010, 07:38 PM
WOW, How exciting to know that Ann Rule has been studying the case since day one! I wonder if she knows about WS? lol

ella971
07-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Ann Rule coming forward to comment is pretty good.

Kat
07-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Hi Scandi! :blowkiss:

Thanks for this article. I lurve Ann Rule! :D

She calls it like she see's it. I usually trust her judgement on things. :yes:

redkatrampant
07-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Well at least we know that she agrees with a good many of us. This is a BIZARRE case.

scandi
07-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Ann Rule coming forward to comment is pretty good.

You betcha. She is such a student of crime, bound for accuracy in what she details in her writing and always having that bit of mystique to grab the reader.

PS: Thanks to the Modship Fairy for making this a thread. ;}

Donjeta
07-07-2010, 07:49 PM
"We are fascinated with it and horrified by it at the same time, and of course in Oregon its 1983 now but when Diane Downs shot her three children that was, people were just obsessed with finding out what had happened, and I think that's the case here."

This is one messed up sentence. It's 1983 in Oregon. What?

tfrohning
07-07-2010, 07:49 PM
I love Ann Rule. I have every book she ever wriitten. Thanks

I have lot of repect for her and if she said it getting ready to blow...I believe her.

Kimster
07-07-2010, 07:54 PM
I enjoy Ann Rule's books a lot! And she is very kind. I used to be on a library board and emailed her for a recipe for a book we were creating to raise funds. She sent her chili recipe. :)

Her book about the bank robber who lived in a tree house has stuck with me for a long time. I can't remember the title.

I do hope she will stay on this case and write more comments about it even though she may not write a whole book. I think it is fascinating how she said "
"I do think that she is the suspect." Why? "Say she hated her husband and was angry and resentful at him for some reason, and how can you hurt someone more than to take their child away. And I think it's all connected."<snipped from article>

ClueMeIn
07-07-2010, 07:56 PM
"We are fascinated with it and horrified by it at the same time, and of course in Oregon its 1983 now but when Diane Downs shot her three children that was, people were just obsessed with finding out what had happened, and I think that's the case here."

Thanks for posting that. I thought I had finally gone off the deep end, as everyone else seemed to understand that. LOL!

scandi
07-07-2010, 07:56 PM
I wrote the authors of the article a little thank you note for reaching out to Ann Rule for her comments:

"I wanted to thank you both Araksaya and Kyle for your reaching out to Ann Rule for her thoughts on the case. A great article, and being a simple Sleuther who follows Missing Children cases, I appreciate reading a true investigative journalist at work".

tfrohning
07-07-2010, 08:01 PM
I pretty sure she knows a lot LE!!

Even if she don't write a whole book she might do a short story in one of collections... But I would love to read a novel on this one.

scandi
07-07-2010, 08:02 PM

Thanks for posting that. I thought I had finally gone off the deep end, as everyone else seemed to understand that. LOL!

LOL, The proof reader missed that. I vaguely remember the Diane Downs case but Kyron's case must remind her allot of that case from what we know already. I hope she writes more too as this case develops. Ya Ya

songline
07-07-2010, 08:07 PM
OK so she is a great writer YES.
OK so when the landscaper came up with the "Murder for hire" story my ears perked up and my eyes widened too.
and Yes anyone who is capable to hire anyone to murder can also arrange an abduction.

What bothers me a lot is that the substitute teacher told a child who notice Kyron missing to "calm down, he just may be in the bathroom" and then she herself (substitute) left the class. AND NOBODY CALLED HOME AFTER THE ATTENDENCE. that is insane.
This has been bothering me from the start. I still want to know where did the teacher go, and has she been interviewed.
I still will not point at Kyron's step mom just because there is a lot that points to her.
Ann Rue did NOT lend a new perspective at all. And I am not jumping on any ban wagon.

Calliope
07-07-2010, 08:10 PM
OK so when the landscaper came up with the "Murder for /hire" story my ears perked up and my eyes widened too.
and Yes anyone who is capable to h ire anyone to murder can also arrange and abduction.
What bothers me a lot is that the substitute teacher told a child who notice K missing to "calm down, he just may be in the bathroom" and then she herself (substitute) left the class.
This has been bothering me from the start. I still want to know where did the teacher go, and has she been interviewed.
I still will not point at Ks step mom just because everyone is jumping on the ban wagon, and that includes A Rule.

She knows no more than we do. Which is pretty much ... zilch.

2goldfish
07-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Interestin'. I only just read small sacrifices this week. made me think of kyron and the drama surrounding. Diane Downs was not arrested til 8 months after the shootings. LE dotted all Is, crossed all Ts and in the end, she was convicted.

gave me a lot of patience in this particular case. knowing something is one thing, proving it in a court of law is another but with hard work and patience I believe LE knows what they are doing here. I only keep hoping they find A LIVING CHILD.

Jo in Calif
07-07-2010, 08:24 PM
LOL, The proof reader missed that. I vaguely remember the Diane Downs case but Kyron's case must remind her allot of that case from what we know already. I hope she writes more too as this case develops. Ya Ya

I believe she was trying to bring everyone back to 1983 when the Diane Downs case captivated everyone.

gwenabob
07-07-2010, 08:29 PM
I enjoy Ann Rule's books a lot! And she is very kind. I used to be on a library board and emailed her for a recipe for a book we were creating to raise funds. She sent her chili recipe. :)

Her book about the bank robber who lived in a tree house has stuck with me for a long time. I can't remember the title.

I do hope she will stay on this case and write more comments about it even though she may not write a whole book. I think it is fascinating how she said "
"I do think that she is the suspect." Why? "Say she hated her husband and was angry and resentful at him for some reason, and how can you hurt someone more than to take their child away. And I think it's all connected."<snipped from article>

I read that. I think it was a story in one of her compilation Crime Files books. Happened in the Seattle area. I think the robber lived near Olympia in the forest.

One reason I like Ann is because she is from Seattle and writes about a lot of Pacific Northwest stories, which I can identify with. Small Sacrifices was my first Ann Rule book and I loved it.

scandi
07-07-2010, 08:33 PM
She knows no more than we do. Which is pretty much ... zilch.
About the case, yes, you are probably right.

What she does know IMO, after being a crime writer of actual cases is how the criminal mind thinks, what makes it tic. She probably has the FBI's BAU knowledge wrapped up in her little finger. And she knows how LE works, how they approach a case, operate a 'war room', how they strategize and what it takes to find the unsub. That doesn't even touch her literary genius, putting a case together in story format to make sure the details are accurate and yet be able to hold the reader spell bound until the last page.

Haeve
07-07-2010, 08:34 PM
I read that. I think it was a story in one of her compilation Crime Files books. Happened in the Seattle area. I think the robber lived near Olympia in the forest.

One reason I like Ann is because she is from Seattle and writes about a lot of Pacific Northwest stories, which I can identify with. Small Sacrifices was my first Ann Rule book and I loved it.

Yes, the bank robber lived in Olympia. His name was Scurlock or something like that. I'll see if I can find it and edit this post. ::googles::

ETA: William Scott "Hollywood" Scurlock. Here is a link from the Washington State Historical Society:

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=9043

cluciano63
07-07-2010, 08:35 PM
I must be the only reader here who is not a fan of Ann Rule's books...:(
but that is just me.

scandi
07-07-2010, 08:36 PM
I believe she was trying to bring everyone back to 1983 when the Diane Downs case captivated everyone.

Oh, very well put Jo. ;}

Krystylsea
07-07-2010, 08:37 PM

YAY! Im 18 again.....finally a do over!:crazy:

Nana46
07-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Been a long time since I read the book about Dianne Downs and did not realize it was in Oregon...........that case haunted me and still does to this day. She was something else.:banghead:

wfgodot
07-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Not an Ann fan either but I certainly don't begrudge her success. Once in San Antonio she was signing books at a Barnes & Noble and, since, yes, I do own a couple, I thought, "Maybe if I went late there won't be a line." So I checked out the parking lot about fifteen minutes before closing and....the line was still at least a city block long. That's success.

Ms Suzanne
07-07-2010, 08:48 PM
I feel maybe she should have waited a little bit to see how this all pans out.There just might be a different POI real soon.

For The Kids
07-07-2010, 08:52 PM
OK so when the landscaper came up with the "Murder for hire" story my ears perked up and my eyes widened too.
and Yes anyone who is capable to hire anyone to murder can also arrange an abduction.

What bothers me a lot is that the substitute teacher told a child who notice Kyron missing to "calm down, he just may be in the bathroom" and then she herself (substitute) left the class. AND NOBODY CALLED HOME AFTER THE ATTENDENCE. that is insane.
I still will not point at Kyron's step mom just because there is a lot that points to her.
Ann Rue did NOT lend a new perspective at all. And I am not jumping on any ban wagon.

Thats if the little boy was even correct. Personally i dont think he was bearing in mind the police have said he was last seen with Terri.

MOO

pdx
07-07-2010, 08:57 PM
WOW, How exciting to know that Ann Rule has been studying the case since day one! I wonder if she knows about WS? lol

heheh.. mind-meld! I just came in to add basically the same thing.
If Ann Rule thinks it's bizzare.. well, the rest of us are down the rabbit hole! :D

arielilane
07-07-2010, 08:58 PM

"I do think that she is the suspect." Why? "Say she hated her husband and was angry and resentful at him for some reason, and how can you hurt someone more than to take their child away. And I think it's all connected."<snipped from article> The End Of The Dream is the name of the book about the bank robber. One of my favorites!!! I have read every book ever written by Ann Rule. She is the goddess! LOL

I too hope she will stay on the case and I believe 100% she will since this case is in Oregon.

pdx
07-07-2010, 08:59 PM

That *does* explain my bad haircut and penchant for shoulder pads though....

KeenEyes
07-07-2010, 09:05 PM

"...but I have the feeling it's right on the edge of exploding," Rule told KOIN reporter Araksya Karapetyan. "...She seems to be certainly narcissist possibly sociopathic. They usually go hand in hand."..."I do think that she is the suspect." Why? "Say she hated her husband and was angry and resentful at him for some reason, and how can you hurt someone more than to take their child away. And I think it's all connected."
http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/news/topstories/story/Ann-Rule-on-the-Kyron-Horman-case-I-have-the/TED_cXMFckKYXIXvWJkXnw.cspx

Certainly sounds like it. :angel:

:truce: in advance.

arielilane
07-07-2010, 09:06 PM
I feel maybe she should have waited a little bit to see how this all pans out.There just might be a different POI real soon.
I don't know Ann Rule. However, I'm a fan! She won't write a book about a case unless it is resolved. If this is ever resolved; I am confident she will read this story. For Kyron...justice for Kyron!

gibby207
07-07-2010, 09:07 PM
Although Ann Rule isn't my fave author, she's up there!! And the amount of time and energy spent delving into crime and those involved really lends her expertise IMO. You can't poo-poo Ann Rule. Unless you know what it takes, what kind of research, etc., it takes to write a book? Especially on crime? And years of it? Yeah... glad she's piped in!

gibby207
07-07-2010, 09:08 PM

HAHAHAHAHA!:woohoo:

Elphaba
07-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Big AR fan here... like reading her insights.

**inserts own fan dealings: years ago I bought one of her books and the printing was bad halfway through it, so I shot off a letter to her about it and within a week, I kid you not, UPS stopped by with a package: she (or her people) had the publisher send me a new copy, as well as a complimentary print of her newest book, at the time. This lady truly values her readers...

White Rain
07-07-2010, 09:11 PM
I like some of her books but they seem to always be EXTREMELY one-sided.
The murderer or bad party is the devil incarnate (which they may well be) but the other party is an angel-sent-from-heaven even when she lists their flaws such as cheating, operating medically illegaly, etc....
And she is also BAD about talking about how this person is "so attractive" and this one is not....yeah it gets old.

TxLady2
07-07-2010, 09:12 PM

I caught that too, Donjeta... I'm still scratching my head over it. :waitasec:

Ms Suzanne
07-07-2010, 09:12 PM
I don't know Ann Rule. However, I'm a fan! She won't write a book about a case unless it is resolved. If this is ever resolved; I am confident she will read this story. For Kyron...justice for Kyron!
I agree.I really like her alot too.

nurseratchett
07-07-2010, 09:14 PM

Well, this is what Kyrons classmate (TP) says the teacher said. I, being naive I guess, assume that LE has either confirmed OR debunked what went on in that classroom and when it was noted Kyron wasn't there, who said what, whether or not there was a "sub" or it was a parent volunteer, or perhaps a teachers aide/student teacher, etc.
In my opinion (opinion only) we are far past the happenings of that AM as to who is suspect. The details, on the other hand, I'm betting will be quite fascinating.

gibby207
07-07-2010, 09:22 PM
I like some of her books but they seem to always be EXTREMELY one-sided.
The murderer or bad party is the devil incarnate (which they may well be) but the other party is an angel-sent-from-heaven even when she lists their flaws such as cheating, operating medically illegaly, etc....
And she is also BAD about talking about how this person is "so attractive" and this one is not....yeah it gets old.

I can totally appreciate what you are saying. Hence, she's not my favorite author, but I appreciate her expertise in the research involved in novels. My guess? You have to have a yin with the yang to grab a reader's interest. Unfortunately, being at WS, one learns the complexities of family dynamics so it's over the top sometimes.... I totally understand what you are saying!

scandi
07-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Yes, the bank robber lived in Olympia. His name was Scurlock or something like that. I'll see if I can find it and edit this post. ::googles::

ETA: William Scott "Hollywood" Scurlock. Here is a link from the Washington State Historical Society:

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=9043

Whoa, Talk about getting sidetracked, I just read that whole thing. LOL Really interesting. Thanks Haeve ;}

bessie
07-07-2010, 09:26 PM
heheh.. mind-meld! I just came in to add basically the same thing.
If Ann Rule thinks it's bizzare.. well, the rest of us are down the rabbit hole! :D
lol So true. I've been a fan since The Stranger Beside Me and have read a majority of the books that followed. Of all the true crime stories I've read and followed, to this day, I think Everything She Ever Wanted takes the prize for most bizarro-crazy-cuckoo. Come to think of it, I see some similarities between TH and Pat Allanson. I hope we will hear more comments from Ms. Rule as this drama plays out.

tiredblondy
07-07-2010, 09:27 PM

LOL :angel: I love shoulder pads too.

scandi
07-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Been a long time since I read the book about Dianne Downs and did not realize it was in Oregon...........that case haunted me and still does to this day. She was something else.:banghead:

Gosh, Me too! I had to go review, but it was in Lane County, down Eugene way.

Now that I stepped back to think a bit, I hope if Ann writes about Kyron's case she does include the impact of Desiree, the real mother, and how she publicly called for the SM to come clean with what she knows, and to do it for the benefit of her baby girl so the child will grow up knowing she did the right thing in the end.

I don't know what you call that. A mother who's child might be lost forever, and who may never be found unless his stepmother shows honor to her own child, by telling the truth about what really happened to him. There has to be a word for that comparison. xox

scandi
07-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Well, this is what Kyrons classmate (TP) says the teacher said. I, being naive I guess, assume that LE has either confirmed OR debunked what went on in that classroom and when it was noted Kyron wasn't there, who said what, whether or not there was a "sub" or it was a parent volunteer, or perhaps a teachers aide/student teacher, etc.
In my opinion (opinion only) we are far past the happenings of that AM as to who is suspect. The details, on the other hand, I'm betting will be quite fascinating.

My Nurseratchett, you do have a way with words. Yes siree ! Ann's word EXPLOSIVE has me curious, thinking what could be more explosive that what we have already read. Gets my brain a travlin, it does, and wondering about the teacher too wonder what, if any, other involvement she might have to bear in the case. Hmmm First year teacher, young . . . . maybe looked up to the SM . .

chicagofa13
07-07-2010, 09:42 PM

Explanation, IMO:

It's pretty much back to 1983 in Oregon again. That is when Downs shot her kids and blamed it on a stranger. Pretty much all of Oregon and many people in the country were interested in that case even without 24/7 news and the internet (I know I was fascinated!). She's seeing a similar storyline here.

This interview was done with a local station and they chat as if everyone would know what they mean.

scandi
07-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Although Ann Rule isn't my fave author, she's up there!! And the amount of time and energy spent delving into crime and those involved really lends her expertise IMO. You can't poo-poo Ann Rule. Unless you know what it takes, what kind of research, etc., it takes to write a book? Especially on crime? And years of it? Yeah... glad she's piped in!

Yes, I agree with you.

Another fav of mine is Stephen J Cannell. :bowdown: I couldn't find a smilie for 'faint dead over' so chose this little hummer. I would really love to spend an evening with him discussing his take on what is the secret to, a , well, a well written crime TV show. :toast: :innocent:

LadyL
07-07-2010, 09:49 PM
love Ann Rule!!!
my favorite crime writer, by far
interesting that she weighed in on this case and that she didn't waver about who she thinks is a suspect
she's certainly no fence-sitter

scandi
07-07-2010, 09:54 PM

Too early to pick a name for the book. Maybe something like 'A Froggin' he did go.

emmcee
07-07-2010, 09:55 PM
I think that AR doesn't write books about cases that are heavily covered in the news. She is a terrific writer and understands the ins and outs with LE, perps, etc. I've read all her books. I love that she's interested in this case - it's a doozy alright!

cluciano63
07-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Ok, I said I was not a big Ann Rule fan and it is exactly for the reasons other posters mentioned...totally one-sided to the extent that the guilty party barely deserves ink, she is so disgusted by him/her and the vicitm is always portrayed as near-perfect, even when the facts are staring the reader in the face. I am not one to speak ill of the dead, but I try really hard to find true crime that is more balanced and it is very difficult; almost all are biased. And she is former LE, so of course her victim-advocate feelings are stronger than someone who is strictly a writer.

That said, I know it is extremely hard work to follow a case and write about it and I give her a ton of credit for all of the books she has managed to produce.

I am a little disappointed that she would weigh in with such specific opinions in a case where there is no named suspect as yet, and seemingly agree that all signs point to Terri.

gibby207
07-07-2010, 10:01 PM
I think that AR doesn't write books about cases that are heavily covered in the news. She is a terrific writer and understands the ins and outs with LE, perps, etc. I've read all her books. I love that she's interested in this case - it's a doozy alright!

Agreed! I take as much from the in's and out's of her books as say reading a Pulitzer book with their wordy drama. Both books are good in their own right (trust me, I love BOOKS!), but to appreciate Ann's research into a subject... sublime!

gibby207
07-07-2010, 10:04 PM
I hear ya, cluci... you are one of my fave posters on WS!! :) You'll find that gibby is purdy open to all possibilities and opinions. I love opinions! It makes my mind work and makes the world more interesting!! And you are right: She's got stronger victim-advocate feelings. Good way to put it!

Ok, I said I was not a big Ann Rule fan and it is exactly for the reasons other posters mentioned...totally one-sided to the extent that the guilty party barely deserves ink, she is so disgusted by him/her and the vicitm is always portrayed as near-perfect, even when the facts are staring the reader in the face. I am not one to speak ill of the dead, but I try really hard to find true crime that is more balanced and it is very difficult; almost all are biased. And she is former LE, so of course her victim-advocate feelings are stronger than someone who is strictly a writer.

That said, I know it is extremely hard work to follow a case and write about it and I give her a ton of credit for all of the books she has managed to produce.

I am a little disappointed that she would weigh in with such specific opinions in a case where there is no named suspect as yet, and seemingly agree that all signs point to Terri.

songline
07-07-2010, 10:13 PM
About the case, yes, you are probably right.

What she does know IMO, after being a crime writer of actual cases is how the criminal mind thinks, what makes it tic. She probably has the FBI's BAU knowledge wrapped up in her little finger. And she knows how LE works, how they approach a case, operate a 'war room', how they strategize and what it takes to find the unsub. That doesn't even touch her literary genius, putting a case together in story format to make sure the details are accurate and yet be able to hold the reader spell bound until the last page.

And It does not matter. because like Calliope said she know as much as we all do. And that is a lot of nothing.

What worries me is when someone like her comes into a case is getting a halo; just because someone likes reading her books does not make her a maven (all knowing) it sure does not mean we have to jump on her ban wagon.

songline
07-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Thats if the little boy was even correct. Personally i dont think he was bearing in mind the police have said he was last seen with Terri.

MOO

I trust the police :innocent: On occasion, not all occasions. :crazy:
I almost rather trust the boy who was concerned about K being missing. SOMEONE OBVIOUSLY (the boy) did see K.

It is too easy for the police to stay stuck one one person and not do more. I still want to know where did the teacher go and was she scrutinized about her whereabouts.?

Calliope
07-07-2010, 10:20 PM

MOO

I don't think the police are going to comment on his account if for no other reason than to protect him (something his grandmother didn't seem willing to do).

cluciano63
07-07-2010, 10:24 PM
I hear ya, cluci... you are one of my fave posters on WS!! :) You'll find that gibby is purdy open to all possibilities and opinions. I love opinions! It makes my mind work and makes the world more interesting!! And you are right: She's got stronger victim-advocate feelings. Good way to put it!

Gee thanks...I don't think I have ever been one of anyone's favorite anything before:dance::dance:

songline
07-07-2010, 10:26 PM

MOO
And they should take what they heard from this child through all the channels. I heard about no follow up on this.
How can we just point to step mom only???
I agree that it is not a pretty scenario. anyone willing to off her husband :waitasec: should be pointed at, but what IF it is not so. everything should be gone through including WHY the school did not call. that is sickening.
A parent leaving a child in school should feel secure that if the child is not seen they would call home.

wfgodot
07-07-2010, 10:33 PM
First off, I kind of like Ann making the knee-jerk statement about this case; it shows she's human - unlike the rather formulaic nature of her many books (after the Bundy one and "Small Sacrifices," which were very good).

I actually paid full price for her "Every Breath You Take" hardcover - rare with me and non-fiction. Its setting is San Antonio, and it is bland beyond belief, everything San Antonio isn't. There is absolutely no sense of local color. As the excellent cluciano63 points out, her overwhelming one-sidedness swamps anything of interest in the narrative tension of the book. The dead mother of triplets is, therefore, a saint. And Rule mentions often the apparent fact that the victim said that if she was killed, she "wanted Ann Rule to write a book" about the case.

White Rain
07-07-2010, 10:38 PM
I can totally appreciate what you are saying. Hence, she's not my favorite author, but I appreciate her expertise in the research involved in novels. My guess? You have to have a yin with the yang to grab a reader's interest. Unfortunately, being at WS, one learns the complexities of family dynamics so it's over the top sometimes.... I totally understand what you are saying!

I completely understand the yin/yang thing...but I am a lover of all things true crime...and every book I read I look at the review on amazon.com...and not only just me, but this seems to be a HUGE thing with Anne's readers...her taking one side and completely denigrating the other....
Alot of folks (including me) think if you're writing a book like this you should keep YOUR views out of it, and write BOTH sides...
I don't know that I could do that...but I don't write books either!

gibby207
07-07-2010, 10:55 PM
I completely understand the yin/yang thing...but I am a lover of all things true crime...and every book I read I look at the review on amazon.com...and not only just me, but this seems to be a HUGE thing with Anne's readers...her taking one side and completely denigrating the other....
Alot of folks (including me) think if you're writing a book like this you should keep YOUR views out of it, and write BOTH sides...
I don't know that I could do that...but I don't write books either!

lol! I hear ya!! I really do... :)

scotslass
07-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Ok, I said I was not a big Ann Rule fan and it is exactly for the reasons other posters mentioned...

respectively snipped by me

I also agree with the opinion on the tone in her books, It is not as an author that Ann impresses me. It is that she is a certified instructor and teaches seminars to many LE agencies. Ann is one hell of a profiler actually and has grew up in law enforcement (many family connections) She has a love of the law and is educated in many Le disciplines. Ann also helped create Vicap so some pretty impressive credentials. SO when Ann rule says she thinks TH is suspect I'm listening as she is also a certified instructor on women who kill (don't want to say that mind you as i'm praying Kyron is OK). If she has been following since the beginning and that is her line of thinking I do believe it actually carries some weight. So in short i'm not so much of a fan of the Author but do have a lot of respect of the Le knowledge she has.

I'm still teetering on the fence personally until we hear some actual confirmed facts put out there in regards to Kyron. However it is getting harder to stay there..

JMO

gibby207
07-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Gee thanks...I don't think I have ever been one of anyone's favorite anything before:dance::dance:

Nah... people love you more than you think... :genie:

cluciano63
07-07-2010, 11:00 PM
I do think AR has the credentials to weigh in, don't get me wrong...was just disappointed that she did so.

gibby207
07-07-2010, 11:02 PM
You just said what I wanted to but more graciously, something I lack. I agree!! Sometimes books have to "romanticize" things, and maybe I'm more in tune to these things lately because of my personal life and things surrounding it, but I can gather that authors bump the feelings up for their fans. Yes, I appreciate Ann as a person more than just reading a novel, and thank you for stating nicely what I can't. LOL

respectively snipped by me

I also agree with the opinion on the tone in her books, It is not as an author that Ann impresses me. It is that she is a certified instructor and teaches seminars to many LE agencies. Ann is one hell of a profiler actually and has grew up in law enforcement (many family connections) She has a love of the law and is educated in many Le disciplines. Ann also helped create Vicap so some pretty impressive credentials. SO when Ann rule says she thinks TH is suspect I'm listening as she is also a certified instructor on women who kill (don't want to say that mind you as i'm praying Kyron is OK). If she has been following since the beginning and that is her line of thinking I do believe it actually carries some weight. So in short i'm not so much of a fan of the Author but do have a lot of respect of the Le knowledge she has.

I'm still teetering on the fence personally until we hear some actual confirmed facts put out there in regards to Kyron. However it is getting harder to stay there..

JMO

eyes4crime
07-07-2010, 11:28 PM
I like Ann Rule - her book "Stranger Beside Me" about serial killer Ted Bundy is terrific. She knew him personally from working a midnight shift at a suicide hot line and was a person he called when needing to talk, met him for several dinners. She believed in his innocence right down to the end, like so many others. She knew his wife. Yikes what great insight she had.

As for her other books, I think I was spoiled by Stranger Beside Me - it was up close and personal - details that would blow you away. moo
Glad to see Ann following missing Kyron - if she ends up writing book on this case, it will be great. moo

Blue Ridge
07-07-2010, 11:59 PM
Glad to see Ann following missing Kyron - if she ends up writing book on this case, it will be great. moo

Absolutely and I hope she will. Although with all the publicity this case is getting, it may end up not fitting her criteria of only writing on cases where the details aren't all out there already. It was probably a lot easier to find cases that fit that criteria before the internet came on the scene, not to mention NG type shows! Ann has long been my favorite author...I can't say for totally sure but I think I've read every one of her books.

evelyn24
07-08-2010, 12:04 AM
First off, I kind of like Ann making the knee-jerk statement about this case; it shows she's human - unlike the rather formulaic nature of her many books (after the Bundy one and "Small Sacrifices," which were very good).

I actually paid full price for her "Every Breath You Take" hardcover - rare with me and non-fiction. Its setting is San Antonio, and it is bland beyond belief, everything San Antonio isn't. There is absolutely no sense of local color. As the excellent cluciano63 points out, her overwhelming one-sidedness swamps anything of interest in the narrative tension of the book. The dead mother of triplets is, therefore, a saint. And Rule mentions often the apparent fact that the victim said that if she was killed, she "wanted Ann Rule to write a book" about the case.

See, I totally disagree with you. I came away from reading the book "Every Breathe You Take" not liking Sheila Bellush much. Of course there was no excuse for her horrible ex-husband Allen Blackthorne to have put out a hit on her, or for her to die in such a vicious manner, but I don't think AR made her into a saint at all.

wfgodot
07-08-2010, 12:40 AM
See, I totally disagree with you. I came away from reading the book "Every Breathe You Take" not liking Sheila Bellush much. Of course there was no excuse for her horrible ex-husband Allen Blackthorne to have put out a hit on her, or for her to die in such a vicious manner, but I don't think AR made her into a saint at all.

I understand, and you may be right - I read the book only once and that was years ago now. Sheila Bellush may not have been treated as a saint per se. I remember I was mainly aggravated because Rule seemed to have mailed the book in - it was an underwhelming effort, to say the least. The Blackthornes lived in a town rich in history and culture. As I recall, the only restaurant mentioned was an oyster bar - not exactly San Antonio cuisine. That might seem a little thing, but I found it symptomatic of the overall lack of effort which went into the book. Paying little attention to detail, she seemed in a hurry to finish it.

Any time an author writes - and repeats several times in the course of the book - that one of the reasons the book is being written is because the victim asked before dying that she write it, and seems, in general, bored with the material, she ought not to have written the book at all. She immediately overplays the Sheila Bellush element by mentioning in the first place that the book was written as if on order; it is clear with whom the sympathy lies, and that destroys any possible drama in the rest of the text.

In terms of a professional writer, in fact, that's worse than making a saint of a sinner.

ETA
You're exactly right and I'm exactly wrong about the way Rule treats Sheila; I rifled through the first quite a few pages just now and remember what I thought then: "These people are both rather disgusting, so why am I even reading this book?!" I started hoping maybe both of them would be gone by the end of the thing. Even so, mothers of triplets don't need much sprucing up to make them attractive victims, like victims that we find all too ofen in Ann Rule's writings. Rule writes to the sound of the cash register ringing.

Kimster
07-08-2010, 01:23 AM

I've been on the road where she killed her kids many many times. I always think about it and it always saddens me.

I think Ann Rule has learned a lot about psychotic people while researching her books and what she said about TH spoke volumes to me.

gibby207
07-08-2010, 01:28 AM
I've been on the road where she killed her kids many many times. I always think about it and it always saddens me.

I think Ann Rule has learned a lot about psychotic people while researching her books and what she said about TH spoke volumes to me.

I agree! But, we've always been purdy peas and carrots, you and I... lol

scandi
07-08-2010, 01:43 AM

Hi Kimster, Is that up by Marcola or further out? Old Mohawk Rd.

Wrinkles
07-08-2010, 01:52 AM
>>Despite everything Rule has seen in her long career -- which includes 31 books and over 1,400 articles on murder and kidnapping -- she thinks this is one of the most bizarre cases she has followed.

"We are fascinated with it and horrified by it at the same time ... (http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/news/topstories/story/Ann-Rule-on-the-Kyron-Horman-case-I-have-the/TED_cXMFckKYXIXvWJkXnw.cspx)<<

If I were Desiree, Kaine or Tony, my heart would absolutely ache at the thought that anyone could look at the circumstance of my 7 year old's disappearance and that which surrounds it and consider it "fascinating." :(

ClueMeIn
07-08-2010, 01:57 AM
It has been eerily quiet today. Calm before the storm?

Wrinkles
07-08-2010, 02:06 AM
I kinda see us in the eye of the storm, I'd like to emerge and see a heavy lightning strike on the perp (whoever that might be). I'd also like to see Kyron miraculously rescued from the flood waters -- yes, I'd like a miracle.

Was Kaine really with investigators when Desiree handled the last press conference (and as a woman of pure grace, I might add)? Or was it just best that she handle that conference? IF Kaine was with investigators...the quite might be broken tomorrow. Wasn't Thursday a day we might hear news?

Black Frost
07-08-2010, 02:44 AM
I haven't read an Ann Rule book, but I've read about how well-loved she is by many true crime readers. I'm tempted to read a couple of the books recommended in this thread but I can appreciate some of the thoughtful criticisms also offered here which sound valid.

Anne definitely seems interested in this case and she seems particularly fascinated by the storm that has developed around the stepmother. It'll be interesting to see if she decides to write about it, especially if she did it as it unfolds - she could title it Step Mother Theresa and cover all the bases for whatever outcome there is.

mrsjonnob
07-08-2010, 02:47 AM
>>Despite everything Rule has seen in her long career -- which includes 31 books and over 1,400 articles on murder and kidnapping -- she thinks this is one of the most bizarre cases she has followed.

"We are fascinated with it and horrified by it at the same time ... (http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/news/topstories/story/Ann-Rule-on-the-Kyron-Horman-case-I-have-the/TED_cXMFckKYXIXvWJkXnw.cspx)<<

If I were Desiree, Kaine or Tony, my heart would absolutely ache at the thought that anyone could look at the circumstance of my 7 year old's disappearance and that which surrounds it and consider it "fascinating." :(

Maybe fascinated with the way a child can virtually vanish from within the confines of a school?

Haeve
07-08-2010, 03:21 AM

I lived in Eugene at the time. The minute the news broke about the "shaggy haired-stranger", my mother said, "The mom did it." I was horrified that she would think such a thing. I was young at the time and I bought Downs' story hook line and sinker. Turns out my mother was right. She reads lots of murder mysteries, I think that explains it, and not the fact she's not exactly Mother of the Year...

The minute I heard the news report about Kyron, I thought, "The step-mom did it." I hope that doesn't mean I'm becoming my mother... Of course I have been jumping up and down off the fence since then. :( I wish Rule could tell us where she thinks Kyron is!

Em18966
07-08-2010, 03:24 AM
Interestin'. I only just read small sacrifices this week. made me think of kyron and the drama surrounding. Diane Downs was not arrested til 8 months after the shootings. LE dotted all Is, crossed all Ts and in the end, she was convicted.

gave me a lot of patience in this particular case. knowing something is one thing, proving it in a court of law is another but with hard work and patience I believe LE knows what they are doing here. I only keep hoping they find A LIVING CHILD.

I read Small Sacrifices years ago and from day one TH has reminded me of Diane Downs in a multitude of ways. I have a feeling that LE is doing precisely what you said - putting together an air-tight case so that they can go beyond arresting the person responsible for this case and actually ensure a conviction and the harshest sentence possible.

I also believe that TH is similar to Diane Downs when it comes to her mental facilities, and that even if convicted of this crime - even if faced with video taped evidence of her commission of the crime - she is going to deny it until the day she dies.

Diane Downs has been in prison for something like 25 years and to this day she denies shooting all three of her children in cold blood.

TrY
07-08-2010, 03:42 AM
I've read all of Ann Rule's true crime books starting with her book about Ted Bundy "The Stranger Beside Me". Her books I keep, I have all of them in paperback and I haven't given any of them away.

I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and was a college student back in early 70s when all those young teenage girls disappeared and were never found. Ann does write about famous (Ted Bundy, Diane Downs, the Green River serial killer) and unknown cases but one thing I think she does extremely well is give a voice to the victims.

I'm not at all surprised that Ann Rule is following this case and I wouldn't be surprised if she does end up writing a book about it.

Mamabear1963
07-08-2010, 05:52 AM
I read Small Sacrifices last year. Diane Downs...was a piece of work...still is...KC is right up there with her.

But for AR to compare them, SM and DD wow. She must be seeing something...and if AR sees something of the sort in SM I don't think she jumping to conclusions...I think she is in tune and aware.

AR, strikes me as a very careful person and for her to make the statements she has in regards to this case it is very telling.

As for her statement about fascinating...I think she just means drawn to, unable to stay away from...I mean look at us...we look for updates on what is happening in this case at all hours...

Moo

2goldfish
07-08-2010, 08:35 AM
But for AR to compare them, SM and DD wow. She must be seeing something...and if AR sees something of the sort in SM I don't think she jumping to conclusions...I think she is in tune and aware.

I am not sure she was comparing the 2 women so much as comparing the media of the two cases - or the strangeness of the two - both happened in oregon.

AbbieNormal
07-08-2010, 08:44 AM

Oh, I bet you have been and just didn't know it! :)

AbbieNormal
07-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Well, I love Ann Rule and have read every one of her books. When I read the question "Who would you most like to invite to dinner?", Ann Rule is always on my list. I would love to pick her brain, the poor woman would probably never get a bite to eat if I had her over to dinner, I'd keep her so busy talking.
I love all her books but "Everything She Ever Wanted" was so good when I finished it, I turned right back to page 1 and read it all over again.
I emailed her once because she put her email addy in the back of one of her books, for the heck of it, and her daughter (who said she handles all her moms correspondence) wrote me back, and NOT a "form letter". I was so impressed! That PC crashed and I remember thinking OH NO, the response from Ann Rules daughter was saved on that computer!!! Her daughter said that she prefers to write about cases where she knows far enough ahead of time that she can also attend the trial, when possible.
I was practically giddy w/ excitement when I got my coffee, turned computer on and saw Ann Rule was "weighing in". What a treat! IMO.

abbie

AbbieNormal
07-08-2010, 09:02 AM
I lived in Eugene at the time. The minute the news broke about the "shaggy haired-stranger", my mother said, "The mom did it." I was horrified that she would think such a thing. I was young at the time and I bought Downs' story hook line and sinker. Turns out my mother was right. She reads lots of murder mysteries, I think that explains it, and not the fact she's not exactly Mother of the Year...

The minute I heard the news report about Kyron, I thought, "The step-mom did it." I hope that doesn't mean I'm becoming my mother... Of course I have been jumping up and down off the fence since then. :( I wish Rule could tell us where she thinks Kyron is!

Lucky you, wish my mother got into true crime, we would at least have one thing in common to talk about. My mom thinks there's something "wrong with me" that I am into true crime.
Reading Ann's books has me so scared of the Portland/ Seattle area that I would never even consider visiting there. Silly, I know. When my sister moved to Oregon many years ago (shes an Ann Rule fan, too) I was terrified for awhile! I have read Ann's descriptions of so many locations in the Oregon area that I feel like I have actually visited there before.

abbie

azwriter
07-08-2010, 11:08 AM
I too love an Ann Rule book. Can't put them down once I start reading. She does a wonderful job of writing about the crimes after they have occured, are solved and a conviction is rendered. But, I've never known her to be a crime solver.
I'm just as impressed with the theories and ideas WS members put forth on this site.

jmo

Blondie in Spokane
07-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Well, I love Ann Rule and have read every one of her books. When I read the question "Who would you most like to invite to dinner?", Ann Rule is always on my list. I would love to pick her brain, the poor woman would probably never get a bite to eat if I had her over to dinner, I'd keep her so busy talking.
I love all her books but "Everything She Ever Wanted" was so good when I finished it, I turned right back to page 1 and read it all over again.
I emailed her once because she put her email addy in the back of one of her books, for the heck of it, and her daughter (who said she handles all her moms correspondence) wrote me back, and NOT a "form letter". I was so impressed! That PC crashed and I remember thinking OH NO, the response from Ann Rules daughter was saved on that computer!!! Her daughter said that she prefers to write about cases where she knows far enough ahead of time that she can also attend the trial, when possible.
I was practically giddy w/ excitement when I got my coffee, turned computer on and saw Ann Rule was "weighing in". What a treat! IMO.

abbie

what she said and more!

Ann Rule would be at the top of my invitation list as well. She is the best true crime writer in my opinion and I cannot wait to purchase her books the minute they hit the shelves of the bookstore. The End of the Dream and the updated version of The Stranger Beside Me are my favorites - I've read them several times.

I was ecstatic to read her opinion on this case and really do feel that she has so such a discerning eye when it comes to these cases. Glad this thread was started - it's quite interesting to read the varying opinions!

Haeve
07-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Lucky you, wish my mother got into true crime, we would at least have one thing in common to talk about. My mom thinks there's something "wrong with me" that I am into true crime.
Reading Ann's books has me so scared of the Portland/ Seattle area that I would never even consider visiting there. Silly, I know. When my sister moved to Oregon many years ago (shes an Ann Rule fan, too) I was terrified for awhile! I have read Ann's descriptions of so many locations in the Oregon area that I feel like I have actually visited there before.

abbie

I don't know if she's into true crime, we just lived in Oregon when the Downs thing happened. And I actually no longer talk to my mother. Unfortunately we "butt heads" to say the least.

I feel perfectly safe in Oregon, though after I read the book about Jerry Brudos, Lust Killer, I knew some of the locations and for a long time I thought about his victims when I passed by there. My mom also had him as a patient when she was in nursing school, before he started killing people. That totally gives me shivers. She was in his demographic. I need to go take a shower now.

Kimster
07-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Hi Kimster, Is that up by Marcola or further out? Old Mohawk Rd.

It was before Marcola on Old Mohawk Rd. I'm not sure of the exact spot, really. That road just gives me the creeps! I know some people who live out that way.

On Monday I drove by the hospital that she took herself to with the kids. It also gives me the creeps!

Here's a map that shows the road. If you go south on the regular Mohawk Rd, it takes you right to the hospital.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=old+mohawk+road,+oregon&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Old+Mohawk+Rd,+Springfield,+Lane,+Oregon&ll=44.098681,-122.953835&spn=0.056091,0.169086&z=13

Black Frost
07-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Jerry Brudos, Lust Killer, I knew some of the locations and for a long time I thought about his victims when I passed by there. My mom also had him as a patient when she was in nursing school, before he started killing people. That totally gives me shivers. She was in his demographic.

BSIBM...

When I read about people who've had intimate and regular contact with someone who later was revealed to be a serial killer, it unsettles me like little else. I have to think that knowledge would haunt you forever.

passionflower
07-08-2010, 01:32 PM
IMO, Ann Rule has many police detectives as friends.
I am sure her dinner table talk with allot of them is about bizarre cases.
I really think she has some inside info on this case.
LE trusts her allot and IMO, she is helping behind the scenes since she
has written about so many sociopaths, serial killers etc.
She worked, befriended and wrote about Ted Bundy.
Ann knows how the criminal mind works.
BTW, the minute this story broke, my 83 yr. old mom said
that TH did something to KYRON. I feel the same way.
KYRON got all the ooo's and ahh's on the project that TH really did.
I feel there was allot of jealousy also between TH and KYRON.
KYRON was the center of Kaine's attention.
Jealousy, rage, anger,freedom, attention,and ins money are the motives I see.

scandi
07-08-2010, 04:54 PM
IMO, Ann Rule has many police detectives as friends.
I am sure her dinner table talk with allot of them is about bizarre cases.
I really think she has some inside info on this case.
LE trusts her allot and IMO, she is helping behind the scenes since she
has written about so many sociopaths, serial killers etc.
She worked, befriended and wrote about Ted Bundy.
Ann knows how the criminal mind works.
BTW, the minute this story broke, my 83 yr. old mom said
that TH did something to KYRON. I feel the same way.
KYRON got all the ooo's and ahh's on the project that TH really did.
I feel there was allot of jealousy also between TH and KYRON.
KYRON was the center of Kaine's attention.
Jealousy, rage, anger,freedom, attention,and ins money are the motives I see.Hi Passionflower, I've had the same feeling about Ann and was going to post, asking if anyone knew if she had ever worked as a consultant with LE. Maybe not as a poster here said she might not be a great crime solver.

I do know from previous cases that when a crime happens. the local LE will often get crime solving experts contacting them with ideas and giving them their expertise.

The_Flashlight
07-08-2010, 04:58 PM
I agree with Ann- this case is totally bizarre.

feddup
07-08-2010, 07:23 PM

Tht bothers me, too Songline. In this day and age to be so casual when you cant account for such a young boy in your charge:waitasec: They seemed to act like it wasn'timportant. That wouldve sent the panic button with me.

feddup
07-08-2010, 07:28 PM
I too love an Ann Rule book. Can't put them down once I start reading. She does a wonderful job of writing about the crimes after they have occured, are solved and a conviction is rendered. But, I've never known her to be a crime solver.
I'm just as impressed with the theories and ideas WS members put forth on this site.

jmo

I liked Ann Rules "The Stranger beside Me" but my fave author is Thomas Thompson who wrote "Blood and Money: that book has everything IMO
lol I also liked Nutcracker which he started but unfortunately his friend Shana
Alexander had to finish because he died:(

feddup
07-08-2010, 07:36 PM

abbie

Dont forget, even tho he started in Oregon he ended up in FL! And....his last college victims, a friend of mine went to HS with Margaret B :(
I think weird things happen everywhere. We also have Casey A lol

I am glad Ted Bundy is gone. He was evil.:furious:

Roze
07-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Just wanted to say how much I love that picture of little Kyron from the Anne Rule article. Look at that little face. He's just the sweetest thing. Don't you just want to scoop him up? How could anyone hurt him? :cry:

songline
07-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Tht bothers me, too Songline. In this day and age to be so casual when you cant account for such a young boy in your charge:waitasec: They seemed to act like it wasn'timportant. That wouldve sent the panic button with me.
I think the country should be up in arms not just us who know the case, our children should be safe to go to school and learn and the grown ups must see to that. This haphazard behaviour is an accident waiting to happen.
WHERE CAN A CHILD GO TO SCHOLL AND NOT HAVE THE GROWN UPS ARRUND HIM ACCOUNTABLE IN EVERY WAY???

kathryann
07-08-2010, 11:59 PM
I have everyone of Ann Rule's books too! She's a great writer, my favorite was Ted Bundy "The Stranger Beside Me" she actually knew and worked with him, isn't that weird. I'm so glad she's saying this case is strange, because I'm still confused as to how TH pulled this off. We all know now that she has been lying, but what actually happened to Kyron at the school. I find it odd that the little boy said it was a substitute teacher too, when I think I read there were no subs there that day. Who was this woman?

nosysw
07-09-2010, 01:16 AM
Hi Passionflower, I've had the same feeling about Ann and was going to post, asking if anyone knew if she had ever worked as a consultant with LE. Maybe not as a poster here said she might not be a great crime solver.

I do know from previous cases that when a crime happens. the local LE will often get crime solving experts contacting them with ideas and giving them their expertise.

I'm not sure of the details, such as how long, but AR was a police officer (detective?) before becoming an author which is one of the reasons she has so many influential contacts in LE and I do believe she has also been a consultant for LE so I would consider her to be a crime solver... :cow:

AvalonBlue
07-09-2010, 07:13 AM

I re-read Small Sacrifices last winter and have thought so much about how Dianne Downs' demeanor, behavior, focus on herself, etc. remind me of TH's body language and strained grief reaction in the pressers.

Also, as many on WS have pointed out (myself included) most of what we have heard from TH (through others speaking for her) has been about herself -- and not about Kyron. I found it interesting to hear KH and DY mention in yesterday's interview TH's focus on herself as well.

AvalonBlue
07-09-2010, 08:00 AM
(Respectfully snipped)

Hi, perhaps I can help clarify the situation above that has still been bothering you. I'm pulling my information from the WS timeline and further clarifications from other posters and MSM.

On June 4th, the day of the Science Fair, there was not a substitute teacher. Kyron's regular teacher was there. The other adult in the room was a mom volunteer who was helping to get the kids organized to tour the other classroom exhibits.

From BeanE (Post #4 in Timeline): [QUOTE=Students were to meet in classroom at 8:45 to be put in groups of about 5 and one parent chaperone to tour other classrooms.[/QUOTE]

The teacher didn't leave the room. The parent chaperone left the room with her group of four kids versus five because she couldn't find Kyron.

There had been confusion (possibly planned by TH) about a doctor's appointment, so there was speculation that the teacher might have momentarily forgotten that K was going to the doctor -- although TH claimed that she had told the teacher the appointment was for the NEXT Friday and that the teacher must not have understood because (Terri's words, quoted by her friend) "This is her first year and she's hard of hearing in one ear." (It was later reported that it was NOT the teacher's first year and the "miss communication" about the doctor's appointment has not been cleared up for the public because it seems pertinent to the case.

I'm sure the teacher has been interviewed by all LE involved and has been asked not to compromise the case by talking about it.

I certainly agree with you that it would have been wonderful if Skyline Elementary would have had a policy in place to call parents to confirm a child's absence. They DO seem to have that policy now. It has been theorized that TH used the doctor's appointment confusion and her knowledge that the school did NOT call about absences to buy additional time before K's being missing was discovered. It has also been documented that TH sent an email to K's teacher (about the time she was posting the Science Fair pic on FB) to ask when the science projects needed to be picked up from school. Some have theorized that this was a "check in" designed to ascertain if anyone had noticed K was missing.

I hope this clears some things up. There was a lot of talk that first few days from other teachers, school kids, etc. and then it seemed LE asked them not to talk -- so we don't know right now how much was rumor, truth, over active imagination, just plain wrong or confused information, etc. was going on. I feel certain that pertinent facts will be made clear as the investigation proceeds.

songline
07-10-2010, 11:37 AM
(Respectfully snipped)

Hi, perhaps I can help clarify the situation above that has still been bothering you. I'm pulling my information from the WS timeline and further clarifications from other posters and MSM.

On June 4th, the day of the Science Fair, there was not a substitute teacher. Kyron's regular teacher was there. The other adult in the room was a mom volunteer who was helping to get the kids organized to tour the other classroom exhibits.

From BeanE (Post #4 in Timeline):

The teacher didn't leave the room. The parent chaperone left the room with her group of four kids versus five because she couldn't find Kyron.

There had been confusion (possibly planned by TH) about a doctor's appointment, so there was speculation that the teacher might have momentarily forgotten that K was going to the doctor -- although TH claimed that she had told the teacher the appointment was for the NEXT Friday and that the teacher must not have understood because (Terri's words, quoted by her friend) "This is her first year and she's hard of hearing in one ear." (It was later reported that it was NOT the teacher's first year and the "miss communication" about the doctor's appointment has not been cleared up for the public because it seems pertinent to the case.

I'm sure the teacher has been interviewed by all LE involved and has been asked not to compromise the case by talking about it.

I certainly agree with you that it would have been wonderful if Skyline Elementary would have had a policy in place to call parents to confirm a child's absence. They DO seem to have that policy now. It has been theorized that TH used the doctor's appointment confusion and her knowledge that the school did NOT call about absences to buy additional time before K's being missing was discovered. It has also been documented that TH sent an email to K's teacher (about the time she was posting the Science Fair pic on FB) to ask when the science projects needed to be picked up from school. Some have theorized that this was a "check in" designed to ascertain if anyone had noticed K was missing.

I hope this clears some things up. There was a lot of talk that first few days from other teachers, school kids, etc. and then it seemed LE asked them not to talk -- so we don't know right now how much was rumor, truth, over active imagination, just plain wrong or confused information, etc. was going on. I feel certain that pertinent facts will be made clear as the investigation proceeds.

You are a sweetheart and thank you.
I can see a young child mistakenly saying substitute because a parent or someone other then his regular teacher told him to calm down.
the school not calling in my mind is monumental.
If I had a child (mine are grown ups) in a school that did not call if a child is absent? I would not allow the child to go there, or I would sit in class too. That is unacceptable.
It is no different then if a baby sitter took a child to the park, and a child disappears and the baby sitter did not alert someone.
The only part that I can accept is the misunderstanding about his Dr. appointment.

nosysw
07-10-2010, 01:24 PM
You are a sweetheart and thank you.
I can see a young child mistakenly saying substitute because a parent or someone other then his regular teacher told him to calm down.
the school not calling in my mind is monumental.
If I had a child (mine are grown ups) in a school that did not call if a child is absent? I would not allow the child to go there, or I would sit in class too. That is unacceptable.
It is no different then if a baby sitter took a child to the park, and a child disappears and the baby sitter did not alert someone.
The only part that I can accept is the misunderstanding about his Dr. appointment.

hi, songline: trying to be devil's advocate here- there's a difference between a child being seen and then being absent, and just being absent...my school wants you to call in when a child is absent but to be honest, sometimes I forget, as I'm dealing with other kids, and sometimes leaving him with hubby as I'm rushing out the door to work...mean to call when I get to work but something comes up and I forget...(you know we can't count on hubby to watch kids and make phone call, lol!)...since when i do bring my kids, it's always directly into someone's care who is acknowledging receiving them (i.e. before-care where I sign them in) if they don't see them, they assume they are home with me (and do get annoyed if i don't send in a note the next day)...they would call on the 2nd day for sure if they don't hear anything...i don't know...we're in a small town where everyone knows everyone and i guess kidnapping wouldn't be considered unless the child was seen or acknowledged to be there by an adult, and then missing, such as what happened with kyron...i guess we do need to tighten up on this but i'm imagining many small towns are the same. but in kyron's case since he was seen already, it's really not acceptable unless the teacher specifically KNEW for a fact that kyron was going to a doctor's appt which does not seem to be the case...they should have called to verify why he wasn't there unless someone specifically told them "hey, he's leaving with me now...remember i told you he had a doctor's appt.?" i would never just take my child under any circumstances without catching the teacher's eye regardless of whether i had previously mentioned that i would be taking him...so in this case, i would consider it negligence but at this point, i'm not sure that part matters... only what was seen, not seen, known, not known would have relevance cause the rest is "shoulda, coulda" unfortunately...

ETA: by it doesn't matter, i don't mean it doesn't matter because there is some negligence and culpability there; i mean it doesn't matter as far as locating him now unless the teacher was somehow involved in the disappearance...does that make sense?

gardeness
07-10-2010, 01:27 PM
(Respectfully snipped)

Hello, and thanks for this post! Is there documentation for the time that the email was sent from TH to the teacher? TIA! :)

songline
07-10-2010, 05:21 PM
hi, songline: trying to be devil's advocate here- there's a difference between a child being seen and then being absent, and just being absent...my school wants you to call in when a child is absent but to be honest, sometimes I forget, as I'm dealing with other kids, and sometimes leaving him with hubby as I'm rushing out the door to work...mean to call when I get to work but something comes up and I forget...(you know we can't count on hubby to watch kids and make phone call, lol!)...since when i do bring my kids, it's always directly into someone's care who is acknowledging receiving them (i.e. before-care where I sign them in) if they don't see them, they assume they are home with me (and do get annoyed if i don't send in a note the next day)...they would call on the 2nd day for sure if they don't hear anything...i don't know...we're in a small town where everyone knows everyone and i guess kidnapping wouldn't be considered unless the child was seen or acknowledged to be there by an adult, and then missing, such as what happened with kyron...i guess we do need to tighten up on this but i'm imagining many small towns are the same. but in kyron's case since he was seen already, it's really not acceptable unless the teacher specifically KNEW for a fact that kyron was going to a doctor's appt which does not seem to be the case...they should have called to verify why he wasn't there unless someone specifically told them "hey, he's leaving with me now...remember i told you he had a doctor's appt.?" i would never just take my child under any circumstances without catching the teacher's eye regardless of whether i had previously mentioned that i would be taking him...so in this case, i would consider it negligence but at this point, i'm not sure that part matters... only what was seen, not seen, known, not known would have relevance cause the rest is "shoulda, coulda" unfortunately...

ETA: by it doesn't matter, i don't mean it doesn't matter because there is some negligence and culpability there; i mean it doesn't matter as far as locating him now unless the teacher was somehow involved in the disappearance...does that make sense?
You totally make sense. If this parent/substitute teacher/ whomever told a child to calm down, and did nothin but left the room I HAVE NOT ruled out this person as a possibility.

Curious Me
07-10-2010, 05:47 PM
I love Ann Rule too.

Sitting here thinking how I want her to write a book about this because she's the best one for the job. I trust Ann's take on things. Maybe she's hoping Kyron will be found alive and she won't need to write a book.

Would you believe I can't find a copy of "Small Sacrifices" even in my local library? It's also hard to find "The Stranger Beside Me", but I finally did reread it. For a long time now Ann has been the one we turned to for the truth about the darkness.

Ann Rule - the woman who made me understand Ted Bundy by the little details she wove into the timeline. What a great writer Ann Rule is.

AvalonBlue
07-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Hello, and thanks for this post! Is there documentation for the time that the email was sent from TH to the teacher? TIA! :)

Hi, gardeness;-)
I will look for the documentation for the time the email was sent from TH to the teacher about when the science project needed to be picked up. Just from memory (although I *will* document;-) I believe it was when she was reported to have posted the pic of Kyron at the Science Fair on her FB.

Okay, going now to sleuth!:dance:

Jules71
07-10-2010, 06:48 PM
(Respectfully snipped)

Above bbm. I too believe the parent volunteer is the one who left the classroom, but for some reason I was thinking it was after touring the other science exhibits with the group of kids. I thought the other kid commenting about Kyron being missing was when they returned to the class. So if the way BeanE wrote it is correct, Kyron was missing when they put kids into groups and the parent volunteer who was to chaperon the other kids including Kyron left without him because the teacher said to?? If that is the case - what was Kyron supposed to do if he was just in the bathroom - once he returned to class and the groups had already left??

ETA: Oh and also why would the teacher say maybe he's just in the bathroom if she was told he was leaving for an appt? If she wasn't told anything about him leaving for an appt. - why didn't she become alarmed when Kyron never returned "from the bathroom"???

Jules71
07-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Hi, gardeness;-)
I will look for the documentation for the time the email was sent from TH to the teacher about when the science project needed to be picked up. Just from memory (although I *will* document;-) I believe it was when she was reported to have posted the pic of Kyron at the Science Fair on her FB.

Okay, going now to sleuth!:dance:

I already posted this somewhere - but iirc, the comment about Terri emailing the teacher about when to pick up the science project "was later that day" and it was posted as a comment on a news article. I do not believe a time was ever indicated.

eyes4crime
07-10-2010, 06:54 PM
I already posted this somewhere - but iirc, the comment about Terri emailing the teacher about when to pick up the science project "was later that day" and it was posted as a comment on a news article. I do not believe a time was ever indicated.

So that piece of information is considered RUMOR? If so, please let's stop it quick. TIA

gwenabob
07-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Above bbm. I too believe the parent volunteer is the one who left the classroom, but for some reason I was thinking it was after touring the other science exhibits with the group of kids. I thought the other kid commenting about Kyron being missing was when they returned to the class. So if the way BeanE wrote it is correct, Kyron was missing when they put kids into groups and the parent volunteer who was to chaperon the other kids including Kyron left without him because the teacher said to?? If that is the case - what was Kyron supposed to do if he was just in the bathroom - once he returned to class and the groups had already left??

The school isn't that big. The teacher could have just added him to her group or told him to "catch up" to the other group. If he was just getting a drink, they would have been only a minute ahead of him.

And yes, this scenario is how I understand it. He never arrived in class that day. Period. He left right after he toured the exhibits with Terri.

Jules71
07-10-2010, 06:57 PM
So that piece of information is considered RUMOR? If so, please let's stop it quick. TIA

Yes, I believe it is - which is why every time I see someone post about it - I jump in and say it was from a comment on a news article.

Jules71
07-10-2010, 07:00 PM
The school isn't that big. The teacher could have just added him to her group or told him to "catch up" to the other group. If he was just getting a drink, they would have been only a minute ahead of him.

And yes, this scenario is how I understand it. He never arrived in class that day. Period. He left right after he toured the exhibits with Terri.

Yes, it makes more sense that he was missing before the groups left the classroom to go on the tour. I just really don't get why the teacher then was not alarmed when she realized he never did return "from the bathroom". If it's because she thought he left for an appt, then why did she think he was in the bathroom or getting a drink. Something not right about this.

nosysw
07-10-2010, 07:01 PM
I love Ann Rule too.

Sitting here thinking how I want her to write a book about this because she's the best one for the job. I trust Ann's take on things. Maybe she's hoping Kyron will be found alive and she won't need to write a book.

Would you believe I can't find a copy of "Small Sacrifices" even in my local library? It's also hard to find "The Stranger Beside Me", but I finally did reread it. For a long time now Ann has been the one we turned to for the truth about the darkness.

Ann Rule - the woman who made me understand Ted Bundy by the little details she wove into the timeline. What a great writer Ann Rule is.

sorry for O/T but it is about Ann...try half.com i bet you will find it as i've bought many of her books there...

gliving
07-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Ann Rule Called the Hormans Within a Week of Kyronís Disappearance

http://blogs.wweek.com/news/2010/07/22/ann-rule-called-the-horman-within-a-week-of-kyrons-disappearance/

Calliope
07-22-2010, 10:30 AM

http://blogs.wweek.com/news/2010/07/22/ann-rule-called-the-horman-within-a-week-of-kyrons-disappearance/

WTH ??

:furious:

newone
07-22-2010, 10:35 AM

makes me feel very uneasy that this appears today

BeanE
07-22-2010, 10:38 AM
"Surprise, surprise. --- Casey Anthony

cluciano63
07-22-2010, 11:06 AM
I find the fact that she called either family so early on kind of...icky.

passionflower
07-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Did Ann Rule want a book deal?
or did she give info on how to find KYRON?
Was she helping LE out for inside info on TH???

Etilema
07-22-2010, 11:12 AM
It has also been documented that TH sent an email to K's teacher (about the time she was posting the Science Fair pic on FB) to ask when the science projects needed to be picked up from school.

Has this been documented? Because last time I asked about it, I was directed to this post stating it is a myth - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Kyron Horman Case - Myth Busters - *LIST ONLY * NO DISCUSSION *

cluciano63
07-22-2010, 11:16 AM
It does not appear she is working with LE...just interested in the story...

Boo Scout
07-22-2010, 11:57 AM
I find the fact that she called either family so early on kind of...icky.

ITA. Double icky for me. Makes me think I'm not picking up an Ann Rule book anytime soon.

debs
07-22-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm sure that initial call about a book is a difficult one to make. I always figured the call would come in much later in the case, though. I agree with the person who said this was ghoulish. :(

Jo in Calif
07-22-2010, 12:08 PM

Not that big of a deal, but doesn't the headline say two weeks?

BeanE
07-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Has this been documented? Because last time I asked about it, I was directed to this post stating it is a myth - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Kyron Horman Case - Myth Busters - *LIST ONLY * NO DISCUSSION * (http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5418297&postcount=6)

No it hasn't been confirmed (I assume that's what the poster means by 'documented'). It's a myth/rumor that came from an anonymous comment on a news article.

gliving
07-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by gliving View Post

Not that big of a deal, but doesn't the headline say two weeks?

Good eye Jo, I copied and pasted that from the site. I guess they've changed the headline in the mean time.

Thanks.

nosysw
07-22-2010, 01:17 PM
This article says Desiree confirmed receiving a call about the case within two weeks after the disappearance which would no longer qualify as a rumor...However, she did not specifically mention AR wanting to write a book- the news station reported that AR is waiting for an outcome before deciding if she wants to write a book.

Trying to be open minded, hoping that AR offered assistance because as a huge fan of hers for many years I would be horrified to find out she was such a vulture...Obviously she does not need the money from a new book...so if she called for any reason other than to assist someone with her vast resources and connections in LE in this area I would have to say the only other reason would be totally narcissistic and I would hate to think that as I've always thought she's been fairly victim friendly and compassionate in her writings...

Schmerty_Jones
07-22-2010, 06:21 PM
Just remember it's the timing of a newspaper article. They need to sell newspapers & a little bit of spice makes money.
My thoughts are does Ann Rule know something more about the case ,from LE or people close to it & was she just giving condolences or support??Now that makes me nervous.

TrY
07-23-2010, 06:58 AM
I read the Willamette Week article and I thought the title of the article was misleading. My impression is that Ann Rule called Desiree and talked to her since Desiree is specifically mentioned in the article. Where does the article say that Ann talked to Kaine or Terri? Desiree's last name isn't Horman so just who are the Hormans (plural) that the article title is referring to?

If it does turn out that Terri murdered or somehow is responsible for Kyron's disappearance or death then I wish that Ann Rule would write a book about this case.

RubyRed
08-16-2010, 10:13 AM
Author, Former Deputy Weigh In On Kyron Case
August 13, 2010

Attorney and former sheriff's captain Bruce McCain helped host Friday's four-hour radio special on KPAM and said resolution in the case could be far off.

Crime writer Ann Rule, who has written about Ted Bundy and Diane Downs, joined the discussion and said the Horman case is puzzling. She and McCain said odds are against someone holding the boy for 10 weeks

Story and video at link

http://www.kptv.com/news/24628356/detail.html

scandi
11-17-2010, 02:25 AM
Hi All, Watching KOIN News just now at !!pm I found myself squealing with glee and running like a Gazelle to my 'puter. :dance:

Ann Rule was in Portland today. The reporter stated Ann told her she has been watching Kyron's case very carefully. And then something like if the case works out {like she expects} Kyron's case might be the subject of her next book. !!!

That's just the jist of it as I wasn't prepared to write it down word for word and got so plum excited. Pretty close I think.

xox

ETA: This was what Ann was commenting on, the Diane Downs Parole Board hearing on Dec 10th. She said Diane will never be paroled. Then she must have talked to the reporter about Kyron's case: http://blogs.wweek.com/news/tag/diane-downs/

The second article down entitled How Long Could It Take to Close the Kyron Horman Case? Ask Diane Downs. Thursday July 15th, 2010, was a most interesting read 4 months later, learning Ann is interested in writing about Kyron's case. I bet she's already got the first few chapters outlined. Ya Ya

gwenabob
11-17-2010, 02:29 AM
Awesome! I love Ann Rule! She wrote another book about a murder that happened in Portland-Dead before Sunset.

scandi
11-17-2010, 02:49 AM
Awesome! I love Ann Rule! She wrote another book about a murder that happened in Portland-Dead before Sunset.

Hi Gwenabob, Yes, that was mentioned. I'll have to go read about the book, but wasn't he a SK?

ETA: WOW, That hits close to home as the fire station is within walking distance from where I live. The whole book can be read on the cumputer - I am amazed ! Thanks Gwenabob xox

ami
11-17-2010, 08:39 AM
Hi Gwenabob, Yes, that was mentioned. I'll have to go read about the book, but wasn't he a SK?

ETA: WOW, That hits close to home as the fire station is within walking distance from where I live. The whole book can be read on the cumputer - I am amazed ! Thanks Gwenabob xox

Not to go toooo OT, but in reading Ann Rule books I started to develop a fear of the Northwest!! Yikes!!

PDXMom
11-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Not to go toooo OT, but in reading Ann Rule books I started to develop a fear of the Northwest!! Yikes!!

We definitely have our "true crime novel" fodder around here. Then the lesser players: Tonya Harding, etc...you can't make this stuff up! Maybe there's something in the water.

purple turtle
11-18-2010, 07:32 PM
there was a lot of information coming out at the time and they were really putting the pressure on TH to come forward. I thought at the time that is why AR said that there would be a break in the case. I think she was doing LE a favor and that is all it was.

miabellamoure
11-18-2010, 07:35 PM
We definitely have our "true crime novel" fodder around here. Then the lesser players: Tonya Harding, etc...you can't make this stuff up! Maybe there's something in the water.

bbm

More likely all the rain...lol! :)

txsvicki
11-21-2010, 01:36 AM
I don't see anything wrong with Ann Rule calling Desiree. She's from the state, knows many in LE, and just may know someone connected to Tony. She's former LE, well known, and could offer support or maybe even help, but if she were to eventually write a book then Desiree might be the one to talk to in the beginning.

scandi
11-21-2010, 02:58 AM
there was a lot of information coming out at the time and they were really putting the pressure on TH to come forward. I thought at the time that is why AR said that there would be a break in the case. I think she was doing LE a favor and that is all it was.

Good thought Purple turtle. I can imagine if one was either guilty or involved in spiriting Kyron away you'd be a bundle of nerves knowing Ann Rule is watching the case closely.

I wonder if she has done any brainstorming with the LE powers that are working on the case? xox

Kimster
11-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Good thought Purple turtle. I can imagine if one was either guilty or involved in spiriting Kyron away you'd be a bundle of nerves knowing Ann Rule is watching the case closely.

I wonder if she has done any brainstorming with the LE powers that are working on the case? xox

She might even know some of the detectives working on the case. She's written about quite a few crime cases in the Portland area and makes friends as she goes along.