PDA

View Full Version : 2010.08.24 Defense Motion to Silence the Media

Dear Prudence
08-24-2010, 05:55 PM
http://www.wftv.com/pdf/24746808/detail.html

A motion was filed objecting to Florida Statute Chapter 119.01 claiming the media's coverage of this case is unconstitutional. Defense claims Casey's 6th Amendment rights outweigh any First Amendment rights of the media.

As reference the defense attached an article from WESH.com titled "Casey's Latest Jail Purchases: Crackers and Cocoa."

Sun
08-24-2010, 06:02 PM
If Baez/Casey hadn't wanted to spark the media and the public's interest, perhaps they shouldn't have sold Caylee's pics/videos for $205,000 to the media/entertainment business.

OnlineInstructor
08-24-2010, 06:06 PM
While complaining about embarrassing information being released to the public, they attached an article of embarrassing information to be released to the public.

harleysnana
08-24-2010, 06:09 PM
If Baez/Casey hadn't wanted to spark the media and the public's interest, perhaps they shouldn't have sold Caylee's pics/videos for $205,000 to the media/entertainment business.

And maybe he shouldn’t be doing interviews every time anything happens!
:banghead:

Macushla
This is a high profile case, the defense knows this - they have been sticking their faces in front of cameras for a long time now. IF the same requests were made to the Jail in reference to other inmates, and these requests were refused, the defense MIGHT have a point.

As to the records on how the defense is spending Florida Tax Payers money - well as a Florida Tax payer, I want to see how every dime is spent and what it is spent on. the defense is putting this trial front and center with their antics, they have been dragging this out for the last two years. If they don't want the intense scrutiny, have her plead out and put an end to it. It's in their hands, they chose this route - so now they have to pay the tolls and live with it.

AND How many times has Judge Perry 'reminded' JB that he has no jurisdiction over the jail? I can remember at least two different times, guess JB was not listening again.

Mrs G Norris
Well the irony is indeed rich.

Maybe if Baez hadn't spent all his time filing frivolous motions and just got on with taking depositions and working on the defense, he would feel more secure about the way this situation is unfolding. Just another sign of his fear of what is ahead for himself and his client come trial IMO.

Get serious Baez, stop skirting the big issue. Find something solid you can argue for Casey's benefit, and if you can't, if you really can't, then stop testing the patience of the court, have a good sit down chat with your client and start negotiating LWOP.

Avoidance issues anybody?

wantsjustice
I wonder why Jose thinks he is so special ?

Why he thinks the Laws of Florida should not apply to him ?

I can hear Perry now.. Baez you need to take that up in another court, I can't change the laws...

Baez is in a bubble...

Yawn.. Yawn Baez, Your boring and old..

Ever heard the story about a boy who cried "Wolf", by the time the Jury comes around they will be tainted by you Baez.. imo

Sun
08-24-2010, 06:13 PM
I don't see on Baez's filing, that proper "notice" was provided to "Orange County." Here is an earlier document that Baez should have put on his IPAD, so he doesn't forget AGAIN. :banghead:

Motion for Order Requiring Proper Notice to Orange County

http://www.ninthcircuit.org/news/High-Profile-Cases/Anthony/Downloads/Motion%20for%20Order%20Requiring%20Proper%20Notice %20to%20Orange%20County%2010-15-2009.pdf

coco puff
08-24-2010, 06:17 PM
I thought the defense fought the gag order. Would that have covered the other media coverage?

Seriously, having folks know what she orders from the commissary is so waaaaay worse that use all knowing that she allowed her daughter to die while in her care. Jose, don't you have more important things to focus on?

LolaMoon08
08-24-2010, 06:27 PM
I thought the defense fought the gag order. Would that have covered the other media coverage?

Seriously, having folks know what she orders from the commissary is so waaaaay worse that use all knowing that she allowed her daughter to die while in her care. Jose, don't you have more important things to focus on?

The defense DID fight the gag order. If I remember correctly, JB even argued that it would violate Casey's constitutional rights to a fair trial if the gag order was put in place.

JB and the Anthony family created this media circus. JB put his wants before his clients needs when he fought the gag order. Now he wants to complain?? Why did it take you over TWO years? The interviews must be drying up? Can't make any more money off them?

They make me sick.

LolaMoon08
08-24-2010, 06:32 PM
He's upset that people know that Casey ordered Cocoa and crackers?

That's the reason for this motion? That Casey can't get a fair trial because she ordered Cocoa and crackers?

This has to be a joke?

faefrost
08-24-2010, 06:36 PM
Oh wow! that's just...wow!

Show of hands, who here predicts HHJP once again reminding JB that he has no leverage or power over the jail or sheriff nor the ability to address any issues that JB has regarding the jail and freedom of information requests? Put simply it is not the criminal courts domain to play in. Any such complaints or litigation should be taken up with the appropriate sheriff.

edit: OK I just reread it and I am completely flabergasted. he is not asking, he is DEMANDING that the judge not simply make a ruling, but overturn state law, while providing absolutely no supporting case law, citations, anything? Some reference no matter how vague or wrong that might support his claim that his clients 6th amendment right to buy cheetoes and a hairbrush supersedes the first amendment freedom of the press or the state of Floridas legislative imperative to maintain complete transparency in the process? does JB even own a copy of the Florida statutes? An active Lexisnexis subscription? Even by JB's usual standards this is a particularly bottom end piece of work.

USARDOG
08-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Defense Motion to Silence the Media?

I think Shakespeare said it best...

Macbeth,
Act 5 Scene 5

Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

LambChop
08-24-2010, 06:44 PM

Show of hands, who here predicts HHJP once again reminding JB that he has no leverage or power over the jail or sheriff nor the ability to address any issues that JB has regarding the jail and freedom of information requests? Put simply it is not the criminal courts domain to play in. Any such complaints or litigation should be taken up with the appropriate sheriff.

So how much patience do you think HHJP has left? Do we think JB is trying to push his Honor over the edge??? Anyone hear whether or not they have looked at those TES records yet, or are they planning on showing up tomorrow morning and complain they did not have enough time to finish???? jmo

beach
08-24-2010, 06:46 PM
I saw the articles in the Today's News thread and thought, "not AGAIN!" This argument is SOOOOO OLD. :banghead:

They should move and apply for a license in another state that hasn't adopted the Sunshine Laws.

miss plum
08-24-2010, 06:52 PM
One of the worst things about this case is these endless insights into the thought processes of the 'special' ones among us, those who think the rules don't apply to them. The endless narcissism is sickening, and the stupidity engendered by their self-obsession is irritating. Since the defendant, her family, and her counsel all appear to operate within the same bubble, I guess it's hard for them to comprehend that to the public, and the court, and also the jail, they are just a bunch of Joe Blows involved in a straightforward, simple case (with one victim, who: hot tip alert! isn't any of them) that will no doubt be resolved very swiftly once it gets to court and the jury hears the simple irrefutable facts of what happened and also what didn't happen.

whiteangora
08-24-2010, 06:57 PM
I don't see how any of his nonsense in the motion has violated the 6th Amendment. He's losing it. http://www.revolutionary-war-and-beyond.com/6th-amendment.html

As long as Florida's Sunshine Law exists he's just gonna have to live with it.

Sun
08-24-2010, 06:58 PM
Here is CJPerry's earlier Order, in regards to public jail records. He can't be more clear. He spells it out. Do Baez and Casey think that the Florida Constitution shouldn't apply to them?

http://www.ninthcircuit.org/news/High-Profile-Cases/Anthony/Downloads/Order%20Denying%20Motion%20to%20Seal%20Jail%20Visi tation%20Log%20Records%206-7-2010.pdf

LambChop
08-24-2010, 06:58 PM
Defense Motion to Silence the Media?

I think Shakespeare said it best...

Macbeth,
Act 5 Scene 5

Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Perfect!!!!!!

whiteangora
08-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Here is CJPerry's earlier Order, in regards to public jail records. He can't be more clear. He spells it out. Do Baez and Casey think that the Florida Constitution shouldn't apply to them?

http://www.ninthcircuit.org/news/High-Profile-Cases/Anthony/Downloads/Order%20Denying%20Motion%20to%20Seal%20Jail%20Visi tation%20Log%20Records%206-7-2010.pdf

Obviously not. After all they did try to get FL's death penalty declared unconstitutional.

Intermezzo
08-24-2010, 07:04 PM
Baez has NO ONE, NO ONE to blame for this but himself...Baez and the Anthony's fought the Gag Order that the State Prosecutors wanted on this case back in 2008!!

http://www.wftv.com/news/18141523/detail.html

Casey Anthony's Attorney Fights State's Gag Order Request

Posted: 8:00 am EST November 25, 2008Updated: 10:34 pm EST November 25, 2008

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- The case against Casey was back in court Tuesday as the state tried to slap a gag order on the Anthony family and on Casey's attorney, Jose Baez.

The defense team tried their best to speed up the process of obtaining evidence, but seemed bogged down by their own motions (read all motions), at times seeming to not understand what they were arguing about in court.

INSIDE THE COURT: Images From Court Hearing
WATCH HEARING: Raw Video Of Full Hearing

"It's just a hearing and we're hoping the judge will allow us to continue to talk," Cindy Anthony told Eyewitness News as she entered the courtroom Tuesday.

It promised to be a long afternoon and it delivered. Jose Baez squared of against very critical prosecutors, who want a gag order to protect Casey from her own attorney, basically begging the judge to shut Baez up.

"He's basically telling jurors, 'My client lied to the police.' That is not helpful to the defendant," prosecutor Jeff Ashton argued in court Tuesday.

Baez used case law to argue he could fight his case any way he wanted.

"The court, in Gentile v. Nevada, laid it out clearly that lawyers have First Amendment rights, too," Baez said.

An attorney for the sheriff's office pointed out that documents Baez complained about not receiving were held up by a $980 copying bill Baez hasn't paid considers a rip-off.

"The State Attorney might want to look into this, because it looks like a scam," Baez said.

Baez also wanted the judge to order the FBI to allow re-tests of hair samples, but Baez forgot to notice federal attorneys about Tuesday's hearing.

Although Baez lost most arguments, he took the opportunity to lash out at the prosecution.

"It's a whole lot of hot air and not a lot of law," Baez said.

The gag order motion took the most time in court and the judge did not rule on that. He suggested he'd rule Wednesday afternoon, allowing more written arguments as late as noon Wednesday."

Intermezzo
08-24-2010, 07:06 PM
This is a high profile case, the defense knows this - they have been sticking their faces in front of cameras for a long time now. IF the same requests were made to the Jail in reference to other inmates, and these requests were refused, the defense MIGHT have a point.

As to the records on how the defense is spending Florida Tax Payers money - well as a Florida Tax payer, I want to see how every dime is spent and what it is spent on. the defense is putting this trial front and center with their antics, they have been dragging this out for the last two years. If they don't want the intense scrutiny, have her plead out and put an end to it. It's in their hands, they chose this route - so now they have to pay the tolls and live with it.

AND How many times has Judge Perry 'reminded' JB that he has no jurisdiction over the jail? I can remember at least two different times, guess JB was not listening again.

BBM
I totally agree..
:clap:

logicalgirl
08-24-2010, 07:08 PM

edit: OK I just reread it and I am completely flabergasted. he is not asking, he is DEMANDING that the judge not simply make a ruling, but overturn state law, while providing absolutely no supporting case law, citations, anything? Some reference no matter how vague or wrong that might support his claim that his clients 6th amendment right to buy cheetoes and a hairbrush supersedes the first amendment freedom of the press or the state of Floridas legislative imperative to maintain complete transparency in the process? does JB even own a copy of the Florida statutes? An active Lexisnexis subscription? Even by JB's usual standards this is a particularly bottom end piece of work.

Are we sure this is actually what he's AGAIN whining about - the cocoa and crackers, or is it in fact that ICA's latest visitors list is all over the net and we are speculating about what those folk are doing there, and who is paying for them since we know the JAC won't approve it.

That we are speculating about his latest defense "ideas" and maybe we are getting "warmer and warmer" and Baez doesn't like that?

Makes me want to stick my tongue out and chant "we know who she's see-ing, we know who she's see-ing" because his whole rant is so useless.
Third time Defense, the same answer - denied.

QB.
08-24-2010, 07:08 PM
I saw the articles in the Today's News thread and thought, "not AGAIN!" This argument is SOOOOO OLD. :banghead:

They should move and apply for a license in another state that hasn't adopted the Sunshine Laws.

When I posted them I had to look twice at the dates of the news article just to be sure I was not posting old news, but there it was today's date beneath the headlines and so this old news is new news yet again.

Intermezzo
08-24-2010, 07:12 PM
I don't see on Baez's filing, that proper "notice" was provided to "Orange County." Here is an earlier document that Baez should have put on his IPAD, so he doesn't forget AGAIN. :banghead:

Motion for Order Requiring Proper Notice to Orange County

http://www.ninthcircuit.org/news/High-Profile-Cases/Anthony/Downloads/Motion%20for%20Order%20Requiring%20Proper%20Notice %20to%20Orange%20County%2010-15-2009.pdf

GREAT catch Sun
:clap::clap:

IMO Baez is purposefully wasting time, money and delaying this case when he FAILS to properly notify the proper parties involved after REPEATEDLY being informed to do so many times since July 2008 when he became Casey's lawyer.

I mean really can he be that thick in the head? IF so this is not the J.O.B for J.A.B :twocents:

Woe.be.gone
08-24-2010, 07:12 PM
About the Sunshine Law - probably everyone but me has seen this before - it makes the points of the law pretty clear imo ~

http://www.myflsunshine.com/sun.nsf/sunmanual/E0E4BAB3DC07F363852566F30058FA9F

I'm still trying to figure out why or how a gag order can be/is offered in the first place. How does that offer fit in with the Sunshine law?

Intermezzo
08-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Here is the link to the Prosecutions Motion for a Gag Order dated Nov. 6 2008.

http://www.wftv.com/download/2008/1106/17923487.pdf

Intermezzo
08-24-2010, 07:20 PM
http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/Judge_denies_gag_order_in_Anthony_case

Updated: Wednesday, 26 Nov 2008, 12:38 PM EST
Published : Wednesday, 26 Nov 2008, 12:38 PM EST

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35, Orlando) -- Orange County Circuit Judge Stan Strickland has denied a gag order in the case against Casey Anthony.

The Court said they shared the State Attorney’s concerns about the amount and nature of the publicity, but it said it could not determine that the continued publicity would create a substantial and imminent threat to the trial.

Read Order Denying Gag Motion

The Court continued, writing that their only obligation is to protect the Defendant’s right to a fair trial. It decided that even if a gag order had been allowed, the publicity and media attention on the case would continue.

Anthony's next scheduled court hearing will be a pretrial December 11 at 9 a.m.

Motion hearing on Tuesday

Casey Anthony waived her right to appear before Orange Circuit Judge Stan Strickland during a gag order hearing on Tuesday. The proceedings had less to do with Casey than with public comments made by attorneys, witnesses and law enforcement surrounding the investigation into the disappearance of her daughter, 3-year-old Caylee Marie. The State Attorney's Office wants to restrict those comments, but the gag order would not include members of the Anthony family.

Assistant State Attorney Jeff Ashton said statements made to the media by defense attorney Jose Baez on the investigation and impending murder trial of his client, "creates an atmosphere where potential jurors are invited to make a decision" on the guilt or innocence of Casey Anthony. He went on to argue that this could have a detrimental effect on whether a fair trial could be conducted with an impartial jury.

Baez, along with lawyers representing the Orlando Sentinel newspaper and various Orlando television stations, challenged the gag order. "When this case started, I expected to be on the eleven o'clock news," said Baez. Citing U.S. Supreme Court precedent, Baez said the gag order wasn't necessary. "It's a whole lot of hot air and not a whole lot of law," he said, adding "when push comes to shove, I'm going to err on the First Amendment every time."

Dear Prudence
08-24-2010, 07:26 PM
Can one of our Constitutional rights really be considered as more important than another? I don't get that. Our Bill of Rights is what we hold to be our most important principles, I don't see how they can say Casey's 6th amendment rights outweigh everybody else's 1st amendment rights. Has there been any legal precedent for this at all?

Part of the 6th amendment is the right to a public trial to ensure the government isn't trying to railroad you in secret. If the media wasn't able to report on this case, you know Jose and Casey would claim all kinds improprieties by the state.

And really who is embarrassed and humiliated by crackers and cocoa? I happen to like both very much.

Intermezzo
08-24-2010, 07:38 PM
Here is the link for anyone that is interested in watching the hearing where Baez, the Anthony's and the Media fought the Gag Order Motion requested by the Florida State on November 25 2008

Prosecutors..http://www.wftv.com/video/18147900/index.html

Woe.be.gone
08-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Baez has NO ONE, NO ONE to blame for this but himself...Baez and the Anthony's fought the Gag Order that the State Prosecutors wanted on this case back in 2008!!

http://www.wftv.com/news/18141523/detail.html

Casey Anthony's Attorney Fights State's Gag Order Request

Posted: 8:00 am EST November 25, 2008Updated: 10:34 pm EST November 25, 2008

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- The case against Casey was back in court Tuesday as the state tried to slap a gag order on the Anthony family and on Casey's attorney, Jose Baez.

The defense team tried their best to speed up the process of obtaining evidence, but seemed bogged down by their own motions (read all motions), at times seeming to not understand what they were arguing about in court.

INSIDE THE COURT: Images From Court Hearing
WATCH HEARING: Raw Video Of Full Hearing

"It's just a hearing and we're hoping the judge will allow us to continue to talk," Cindy Anthony told Eyewitness News as she entered the courtroom Tuesday.

It promised to be a long afternoon and it delivered. Jose Baez squared of against very critical prosecutors, who want a gag order to protect Casey from her own attorney, basically begging the judge to shut Baez up.

"He's basically telling jurors, 'My client lied to the police.' That is not helpful to the defendant," prosecutor Jeff Ashton argued in court Tuesday.

Baez used case law to argue he could fight his case any way he wanted.

"The court, in Gentile v. Nevada, laid it out clearly that lawyers have First Amendment rights, too," Baez said.

An attorney for the sheriff's office pointed out that documents Baez complained about not receiving were held up by a $980 copying bill Baez hasn't paid considers a rip-off.

"The State Attorney might want to look into this, because it looks like a scam," Baez said.

Baez also wanted the judge to order the FBI to allow re-tests of hair samples, but Baez forgot to notice federal attorneys about Tuesday's hearing.

Although Baez lost most arguments, he took the opportunity to lash out at the prosecution.

"It's a whole lot of hot air and not a lot of law," Baez said.

The gag order motion took the most time in court and the judge did not rule on that. He suggested he'd rule Wednesday afternoon, allowing more written arguments as late as noon Wednesday."

So the gag order was to be placed upon the Defense team and the family regarding talking to the media. But they chose to want freedom to talk to the media ($$$$$).
I get it.

A gag order then would not affect the Sunshine Law. When documents are requested by anyone, they would still be made public - is that correct?
But people related to the case would be gagged from giving interviews and such, correct?

denjet
08-24-2010, 07:42 PM

Maybe if Baez hadn't spent all his time filing frivolous motions and just got on with taking depositions and working on the defense, he would feel more secure about the way this situation is unfolding. Just another sign of his fear of what is ahead for himself and his client come trial IMO.

Get serious Baez, stop skirting the big issue. Find something solid you can argue for Casey's benefit, and if you can't, if you really can't, then stop testing the patience of the court, have a good sit down chat with your client and start negotiating LWOP.

Avoidance issues anybody?

AMEN! Enough monkey business ... geesh ... I'm thinking Jose doesn't have a good handle (or any handle) on the case if he thinks KC's purchases of cocoa and bras are going to poison a potential juror pool ... or if he thinks can convince a judge that they are ...

But, as we all know, that's not really what Jose is worried about ... he thinks he's being slick because if he can get the commissary records private, he can slip in the visit logs too and no one will be the wiser ... :rolleyes:

Maybe someone can answer this: When Judge Perry denied Jose's motion about this, didn't Judge Perry say something about it not being his jurisdiction and that it would be something for Florida Supreme courts to decide ??

Jose, quit being such a :loser: and save your brain cells for preparing for trial ... you don't have any to waste ...

Woe.be.gone
08-24-2010, 07:45 PM
http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/Judge_denies_gag_order_in_Anthony_case

Updated: Wednesday, 26 Nov 2008, 12:38 PM EST
Published : Wednesday, 26 Nov 2008, 12:38 PM EST

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35, Orlando) -- Orange County Circuit Judge Stan Strickland has denied a gag order in the case against Casey Anthony.

The Court said they shared the State Attorney’s concerns about the amount and nature of the publicity, but it said it could not determine that the continued publicity would create a substantial and imminent threat to the trial.

Read Order Denying Gag Motion

The Court continued, writing that their only obligation is to protect the Defendant’s right to a fair trial. It decided that even if a gag order had been allowed, the publicity and media attention on the case would continue.

Anthony's next scheduled court hearing will be a pretrial December 11 at 9 a.m.

Motion hearing on Tuesday

Casey Anthony waived her right to appear before Orange Circuit Judge Stan Strickland during a gag order hearing on Tuesday. The proceedings had less to do with Casey than with public comments made by attorneys, witnesses and law enforcement surrounding the investigation into the disappearance of her daughter, 3-year-old Caylee Marie. The State Attorney's Office wants to restrict those comments,but the gag order would not include members of the Anthony family.

Assistant State Attorney Jeff Ashton said statements made to the media by defense attorney Jose Baez on the investigation and impending murder trial of his client, "creates an atmosphere where potential jurors are invited to make a decision" on the guilt or innocence of Casey Anthony. He went on to argue that this could have a detrimental effect on whether a fair trial could be conducted with an impartial jury.

Baez, along with lawyers representing the Orlando Sentinel newspaper and various Orlando television stations, challenged the gag order. "When this case started, I expected to be on the eleven o'clock news," said Baez. Citing U.S. Supreme Court precedent, Baez said the gag order wasn't necessary. "It's a whole lot of hot air and not a whole lot of law," he said, adding "when push comes to shove, I'm going to err on the First Amendment every time."

1st BBM ~ Oh I just read that the gag order would not have applied to the A family. What would be the point then? Ha!

strawberry
08-24-2010, 07:46 PM
Are lawyers allowed to file the same arguments over and over again? No wonder the system is so clogged! Shouldn't he be out looking for the real Nanny?

strawberry
08-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Are we sure this is actually what he's AGAIN whining about - the cocoa and crackers, or is it in fact that ICA's latest visitors list is all over the net and we are speculating about what those folk are doing there, and who is paying for them since we know the JAC won't approve it.

That we are speculating about his latest defense "ideas" and maybe we are getting "warmer and warmer" and Baez doesn't like that?

Makes me want to stick my tongue out and chant "we know who she's see-ing, we know who she's see-ing" because his whole rant is so useless.

B-I-N-G-O LG, you are so logical. THey state that they are hereby renewing all previous objections. The were rabid about wanting to hide who was visiting, which of course made us pay even MORE attention. That is exactly what has a bee in his bonnet. Unless of course ICA is wanting to order a bra....

Amil
08-24-2010, 07:54 PM

I was there when he fought the gag order. He was so opposed to that. The prosecution wanted a gag order.

Woe.be.gone
08-24-2010, 07:59 PM
There is an exception to the Sunshine Law when it comes to revealing the identity of someone who has been the victim of abuse if I'm reading it right.

If the Defense is going to argue from that angle, could they be trying to use that exemption for protecting discovery?

I don't know what difference it makes because wouldn't it all come out during the trial anyway? Or do they think it would help KC to have a big surprise reveal at the trial? The Prosecution must be told what the Defense is planning by a certain date, correct?

Schmerty_Jones
08-24-2010, 07:59 PM
Are lawyers allowed to file the same arguments over and over again? No wonder the system is so clogged! Shouldn't he be out looking for the real Nanny?

Good thinking,Robin ! JB/R Nanny nuptials!.System unclogged !! Luv Batman!:dance::dance:

Woe.be.gone
08-24-2010, 08:01 PM
I was there when he fought the gag order. He was so opposed to that. The prosecution wanted a gag order.

The gag order would not have been concerning all discovery though, right?
Just banning the legal team from talking to the press about the case iiuc.

beach
08-24-2010, 08:05 PM

*snipped* RedBBM

omg...MORE IRONY! :rotfl:

Their own words come back to haunt them once again. Just like when Nejame cited CM's own words from the 6/21 presser, here we see Baez contradicting himself.

From what I can tell, the main reason they are fighting this so hard is so John Q. Public has ONLY the defense's hot air blowing out of their mouths telling the public what they WANT them to know. They don't want the FL taxpayers having access to anything else that could contradict how the defense wants to portray their client. The Sunshine Laws are really cramping their style. Just one side of the story. Censorship. Special treatment.

I mean really ..... if your defense is strong, I'm pretty sure that potential jurors knowing that KC spent a lot of $ on bean dip and slim jims would not be the deciding factor on finding her guilty. Really though.

I don't know how many more of these ridiculous, self-serving motions I can stomach reading. :banghead:

shotgun09
08-24-2010, 08:10 PM
IIRC, usually when the defense files one or more of these ridiculous and redundant motions, a great big juicy doc dump is right around the corner!

Gnatcatcher
08-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Here is the link for anyone that is interested in watching the hearing where Baez, the Anthony's and the Media fought the Gag Order Motion requested by the Florida State on November 25 2008

Prosecutors..http://www.wftv.com/video/18147900/index.html

Oh SOOO many thanks for that link, I hadn't seen it because I came into the case right around that time and didn't know what I was looking at. MANY thanks for this good refresher!

I am totally looking forward to this motion being argued at a hearing. Will it be at this month's status hearing which, if I am correct, would be the last day of August?

strawberry
08-24-2010, 08:14 PM
BRB, I'm going to go call the wwahhhhmbulance..

tragco
08-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Here is the link to the Prosecutions Motion for a Gag Order dated Nov. 6 2008.

http://www.wftv.com/download/2008/1106/17923487.pdf

Judge Strickland's "The irony is rich" is absolutely prophetic, isn't it? The prosecution wanted the gag order in the first place, but the DEFENSE fought it.

Woe.be.gone
08-24-2010, 08:22 PM
They keep trying to argue against the State law as it applies to Caylee's case which is the state law period.

I remember reading the same thing about AL in that she uses cases to argue her opposition to the DP in general versus just fighting for the life of the convicted person in a particular case.

Baez keeps filing motions for KC to receive special treatment :waitasec: and apparently he can because nobody has stopped him. I guess if someone wants to pay the 15 cents to one dollar for the page with the info on it, then the jail has to provide the record.

beach
08-24-2010, 08:22 PM
Oh SOOO many thanks for that link, I hadn't seen it because I came into the case right around that time and didn't know what I was looking at. MANY thanks for this good refresher!

I am totally looking forward to this motion being argued at a hearing. Will it be at this month's status hearing which, if I am correct, would be the last day of August?

BBM

They aren't supposed to argue motions at status hearings, BUT...there again, Baez thinks he is the exception. When winding up the status conferences, Judge Perry usually asks, "Anything else?" and sure enough, Baez attempts to get his argument in.

Dear Prudence
08-24-2010, 08:29 PM
The gag order would not have been concerning all discovery though, right?
Just banning the legal team from talking to the press about the case iiuc.

I believe you're right. The gag order would have applied to attorneys on both sides, but not the media or even the Anthonys. Jose didn't want the gag order because he wanted to be able to spin, spin, spin all he could.

Isn't the hearing on the gag order the one during which Cindy stood up interrupting Judge Strickland that she wanted to say something? He told her no because the gag order would not apply to her so he really didn't need to hear anything from her.

Gaia713
08-24-2010, 08:38 PM

Avoidance issues anybody?Based on the "quality of his motions," I don't think he has a clue to what he is doing. I would have no problem with denying the Sunshine Laws, IF (and this is a BIG IF) they would also GAG the defense and stop them from muck-raking on anyone and everyone. I also wouldn't be upset if the Anthonys were also GAGGED.

Woe.be.gone
08-24-2010, 08:38 PM
I believe you're right. The gag order would have applied to attorneys on both sides, but not the media or even the Anthonys. Jose didn't want the gag order because he wanted to be able to spin, spin, spin all he could.

Isn't the hearing on the gag order the one during which Cindy stood up interrupting Judge Strickland that she wanted to say something? He told her no because the gag order would not apply to her so he really didn't need to hear anything from her.

Ha - great memory! JS was probably thinking, 'oh how I wish it would though' (that is apply to CA).

Gaia713
08-24-2010, 08:41 PM
IIRC, usually when the defense files one or more of these ridiculous and redundant motions, a great big juicy doc dump is right around the corner!IIRC, the defense gets the info BEFORE the doc dump so he's not happy with something he is seeing.

Gaia713
08-24-2010, 08:43 PM

In cases I have seen with gag orders, witnesses are also not allowed to speak outside of the courtroom. So, all they have to do is put a name on the witness list and NOT call them to keep them Gagged.

Snaz
08-24-2010, 08:43 PM

BBM

The status hearing is actually scheduled for August 30 at 2:00 p.m. Eastern.

Dear Prudence
08-24-2010, 08:44 PM
IIRC, the defense gets the info BEFORE the doc dump so he's not happy with something he is seeing.

Isn't an old LE interview with Cindy supposed to be released? Where is that thing?

Woe.be.gone
08-24-2010, 08:44 PM

KC probably said to JB "make them stop". JB replied, "I'll see what I can do Sweetness." :waitasec:

whiteangora
08-24-2010, 08:51 PM
In # 3 JB claims the State is releasing information, I can't remember them even doing a press conference..........Ever!

nort
08-24-2010, 08:55 PM
So thats it, this has been the defense all along. Fight the gag order and then get as much exposer as possible use the family as a tainting tool and then fight for a tainted jury pool, no fair trial, boo hoo defense. I think not Jose, I think not. IMO

LambChop
08-24-2010, 08:56 PM
Not sure why JB is whinning...everytime it is posted in the paper that her account is low someone sends her money. Sounds like a win, win situation to me. jmo

Gaia713
08-24-2010, 08:56 PM
*snipped* RedBBM

Their own words come back to haunt them once again. Just like when Nejame cited CM's own words from the 6/21 presser, here we see Baez contradicting himself.

From what I can tell, the main reason they are fighting this so hard is so John Q. Public has ONLY the defense's hot air blowing out of their mouths telling the public what they WANT them to know. They don't want the FL taxpayers having access to anything else that could contradict how the defense wants to portray their client. The Sunshine Laws are really cramping their style. Just one side of the story. Censorship. Special treatment.

I mean really ..... if your defense is strong, I'm pretty sure that potential jurors knowing that KC spent a lot of $ on bean dip and slim jims would not be the deciding factor on finding her guilty. Really though.

I don't know how many more of these ridiculous, self-serving motions I can stomach reading. :banghead:

I can give you an example from the Scott Peterson case. Before it was moved to Redwood City, Staniislaus County had to put on another court clerk JUST to deal with all the motions he filed.

Phumi
08-24-2010, 08:58 PM
http://www.enews.org/blog/_pics/lolcat.jpg

Aedrys
08-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Did I read the title of this thread right? I felt like I fell into an alternate universe when I read it. DIDN'T THE DEFENSE FIGHT THE FIRST GAG ORDER? And now they want one on the media? NOW, TWO YEARS LATER?

And aren't they the ones who've been prancing in front of the media like movie stars every chance they get? And NOW they want to silence the MEDIA? Somebody slap me. This just can't. be. REAL!

Oh my brain just HURTS. This isn't twisting logic, this is MANGLING it. To be a fly on the wall when this hit HHJP's desk! I bet he's start to pop pain pills now because of this case, I know I would. And the SA...I bet they nearly laughed themselves to DEATH with this one. Seriously, Baez's motions are the prime feature at SA happy hour, I just know it!

And like it would have a chance in HELL of helping the case AT THIS POINT? Seriously, Jose, this is BEST you can come up with? For SHAME! If this isn't a mockery of the court system and justice...OMG, I cannot BELIEVE he filed this motion! WTF!

TWA, this takes "You can't make this stuff up" to whole NEW level of disbelief...

Dear Prudence
08-24-2010, 09:00 PM
I just realized this is not a motion. It's titled as a "Notice of Standing Objection." The last sentence of the document reads "The defense hereby renews all previous objections to said disclosure and issues this standing objection."

So, I'm thinking the defense knows this notice is really pointless for this trial because Judge Perry won't block any disclosure or gag the media. They're submitting this solely to create some issue they can appeal to a higher court after Casey's found guilty. Maybe Baez and Mason have delusions of changing the Florida Sunshine Law or even the US Constitution someday.

nort
08-24-2010, 09:01 PM

i love that picture

Aedrys
08-24-2010, 09:08 PM

So he's mad 'cause his Cocoa and Crackers defense got out? Yep, that's what I'm calling it now. Move over Twinkie Defense, there's a new defense in town that outshines even YOU!

Wisteria
08-24-2010, 09:09 PM
IMO they are trying to get this Motion in place before they have to give all of the reciprocal discovery over: ie, their own deposition transcripts. I think they do not want the public to know the questions they are asking the potential witnesses, thus giving away their so called strategy. It is also entirely possible that they want to get this order in place before the final witness list dealine. In that way, they can be sure to have their list kept "secret" and that one special witness they have yet to name can escape public scrutiny.

Phumi
08-24-2010, 09:09 PM
So he's mad 'cause his Cocoa and Crackers defense got out? Yep, that's what I'm calling it now. Move over Twinkie Defense, there's a new defense in town that outshines even YOU!

:floorlaugh:

QB.
08-24-2010, 09:11 PM
BBM

The status hearing is actually scheduled for August 30 at 2:00 p.m. Eastern.

The clerk's docket shows that the status hearing is at 1:30 and then at 2pm is a Scheduling Conference.

08/30/2010 Status Hearing (1:30 PM)
08/30/2010 Hearing (2:00 PM)
Scheduling Conference

Aedrys
08-24-2010, 09:13 PM
BBM

They aren't supposed to argue motions at status hearings, BUT...there again, Baez thinks he is the exception. When winding up the status conferences, Judge Perry usually asks, "Anything else?" and sure enough, Baez attempts to get his argument in.

Lord, this next status hearing is going to take FOREVER. I'm sure there'll be another Baez tirade...great, so looking forward to THAT.

ETA: Wait, it's only supposed to be half an hour? Does Baez know this? Wow. Yeah right it's going to last half an hour...NOT!

Intermezzo
08-24-2010, 09:15 PM
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0100-0199/0119/Sections/0119.01.html

Florida Statute CHAPTER 119.01
PUBLIC RECORDS

Title X
PUBLIC OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AND RECORDS

Chapter 119
PUBLIC RECORDS

View Entire Chapter

General state policy on public records.

(1)

It is the policy of this state that all state, county, and municipal records are open for personal inspection and copying by any person. Providing access to public records is a duty of each agency.
(2)
(a)

Automation of public records must not erode the right of access to those records. As each agency increases its use of and dependence on electronic recordkeeping, each agency must provide reasonable public access to records electronically maintained and must ensure that exempt or confidential records are not disclosed except as otherwise permitted by law.
(b)

When designing or acquiring an electronic recordkeeping system, an agency must consider whether such system is capable of providing data in some common format such as, but not limited to, the American Standard Code for Information Interchange.
(c)

An agency may not enter into a contract for the creation or maintenance of a public records database if that contract impairs the ability of the public to inspect or copy the public records of the agency, including public records that are online or stored in an electronic recordkeeping system used by the agency.
(d)

Subject to the restrictions of copyright and trade secret laws and public records exemptions, agency use of proprietary software must not diminish the right of the public to inspect and copy a public record.
(e)

Providing access to public records by remote electronic means is an additional method of access that agencies should strive to provide to the extent feasible. If an agency provides access to public records by remote electronic means, such access should be provided in the most cost-effective and efficient manner available to the agency providing the information.
(f)

Each agency that maintains a public record in an electronic recordkeeping system shall provide to any person, pursuant to this chapter, a copy of any public record in that system which is not exempted by law from public disclosure. An agency must provide a copy of the record in the medium requested if the agency maintains the record in that medium, and the agency may charge a fee in accordance with this chapter. For the purpose of satisfying a public records request, the fee to be charged by an agency if it elects to provide a copy of a public record in a medium not routinely used by the agency, or if it elects to compile information not routinely developed or maintained by the agency or that requires a substantial amount of manipulation or programming, must be in accordance with s. 119.07(4).
(3)

If public funds are expended by an agency in payment of dues or membership contributions for any person, corporation, foundation, trust, association, group, or other organization, all the financial, business, and membership records of that person, corporation, foundation, trust, association, group, or other organization which pertain to the public agency are public records and subject to the provisions of s. 119.07.
History.

s. 1, ch. 5942, 1909; RGS 424; CGL 490; s. 1, ch. 73-98; s. 2, ch. 75-225; s. 2, ch. 83-286; s. 4, ch. 86-163; ss. 1, 5, ch. 95-296; s. 2, ch. 2004-335; s. 1, ch. 2005-251.

strawberry
08-24-2010, 09:18 PM

Cocoa and Crackers defense! lolololol

ExpectingUnicorns
08-24-2010, 09:22 PM
Lord, this next status hearing is going to take FOREVER. I'm sure there'll be another Baez tirade...great, so looking forward to THAT.

ETA: Wait, it's only supposed to be half an hour? Does Baez know this? Wow. Yeah right it's going to last half an hour...NOT!
Maybe we'll even get to hear how he's doing with the foreclosure on his house?

Horace Finklestein
08-24-2010, 09:27 PM
Obviously not. After all they did try to get FL's death penalty declared unconstitutional.

Ahh yes, I remember the bizarre witness proclaiming the prosecutors were out to kill attractive women! Another classic one for this case.

At this point, I really don't see how HHJP can let this charade go on. I wonder if her has any options here? I mean, Baez may be dense but I don't think he's THIS stupid - after having been told, repeatedly, that judge perry does NOT have control over the jail and that the media will do what the media will do - and if he doesn't like it, go to the supreme court and (I think) make a complaint regarding cruel and unusual punishment...

It's as if Baez has nothing constructive or meaningful to do - he KNOWS this, and so he falls back on filing things that are comfortable to him, no matter how repetitive or nonsensical.

essies
08-24-2010, 09:32 PM
Judge Strickland's "The irony is rich" is absolutely prophetic, isn't it? The prosecution wanted the gag order in the first place, but the DEFENSE fought it.

Oh I just can't get this song outta my head!!:innocent:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWBSFeB7WIk

Horace Finklestein
08-24-2010, 09:34 PM

Except the twinkie defense worked.

Just Jayla
08-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Here's how I'm gonna choose to read this motion:

Dear Judge,

Since I am may no longer pursue a fortune on the likeness and story of my client and the daughter she killed, no one else should be able to use her likeness or tell her story, either.

The End-JB

strawberry
08-24-2010, 09:38 PM
except the twinkie defense worked.

yikes!

Intermezzo
08-24-2010, 09:39 PM
November 25, 2008 Hearing
http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news...n_Anthony_case

"Baez, along with lawyers representing the Orlando Sentinel newspaper and various Orlando television stations, challenged the gag order. "When this case started, I expected to be on the eleven o'clock news," said Baez. Citing U.S. Supreme Court precedent, Baez said the gag order wasn't necessary. "It's a whole lot of hot air and not a whole lot of law," he said, adding "when push comes to shove, I'm going to err on the First Amendment every time."

Just in case anyone forgot..Casey was facing the Death Penalty when Baez stated the above at that Hearing.

#4. It has been and continues to be the Defenses position that the First Amendment rights of the media must give way to the constitutionally protected rights of accused, especially when the State seeks the ultimate penalty of Death.."

Intermezzo
08-24-2010, 09:43 PM
So the gag order was to be placed upon the Defense team and the family regarding talking to the media. But they chose to want freedom to talk to the media ($$$$$).
I get it.

A gag order then would not affect the Sunshine Law. When documents are requested by anyone, they would still be made public - is that correct?
But people related to the case would be gagged from giving interviews and such, correct?

BBM
Yes...and at the hearing Baez said he would always err on the side of the First Amendment.

Intermezzo
08-24-2010, 09:47 PM
AMEN! Enough monkey business ... geesh ... I'm thinking Jose doesn't have a good handle (or any handle) on the case if he thinks KC's purchases of cocoa and bras are going to poison a potential juror pool ... or if he thinks can convince a judge that they are ...

But, as we all know, that's not really what Jose is worried about ... he thinks he's being slick because if he can get the commissary records private, he can slip in the visit logs too and no one will be the wiser ... :rolleyes:

Maybe someone can answer this: When Judge Perry denied Jose's motion about this, didn't Judge Perry say something about it not being his jurisdiction and that it would be something for Florida Supreme courts to decide ??

Jose, quit being such a :loser: and save your brain cells for preparing for trial ... you don't have any to waste ...

BBM
I totally agree.

And I like your last sentence. :D

Intermezzo
08-24-2010, 09:48 PM
1st BBM ~ Oh I just read that the gag order would not have applied to the A family. What would be the point then? Ha!

Oh yes..Cindy was very happy to learn that the Gag Order would not apply to her...very happy indeed.

ZsaZsa
08-24-2010, 09:50 PM

Cocoa and crackers? He better hope the Jury haven't seen the photo of his client peeing in public. Cocoa and crackers sound downright wholesome compared how she is in real life...

Intermezzo
08-24-2010, 09:54 PM

:waitasec: he has...Many many moons ago Baez announced he sent his PI out of state to meet with a guy who had a picture of Zanny the Nanny taken at Blanchard park..:banghead:

Intermezzo
08-24-2010, 09:58 PM

iirc, YES.

countzero
08-24-2010, 09:59 PM
Alrighty now ... I get it. So JB didn't like what CA said to LE in July 08 so he had to file this motion in hopes that no one realizes he is objecting to the release of this interview under the sunshine law. Timeline also fits because the month July was crossed out (what JB, didn't want to run it through the printer again, sheeze) and handwritten was Aug.

Then again, did JB have second thoughts in filing this July prepared motion after discovering there isn't a single TES document that can remotely be used?????

Still waiting for CA's LE interview from July 08.

Horace Finklestein
08-24-2010, 10:02 PM
Doesn't he have a few thousand hard working volunteers to be looking into? Tick-tock Mr. Baezzz this motion was decided before you even wrote it. What are you even thinking?

Mrs G Norris
08-24-2010, 10:03 PM
Alrighty now ... I get it. So JB didn't like what CA said to LE in July 08 so he had to file this motion in hopes that no one realizes he is objecting to the release of this interview under the sunshine law. Timeline also fits because the month July was crossed out (what JB, didn't want to run it through the printer again, sheeze) and handwritten was Aug.

Then again, did JB have second thoughts in filing this July prepared motion after discovering there isn't a single TES document that can remotely be used?????

Still waiting for CA's LE interview from July 08.

BBM

Any chance this interview is what is about to be released?

Intermezzo
08-24-2010, 10:04 PM
In # 3 JB claims the State is releasing information, I can't remember them even doing a press conference..........Ever!

Of course they are... it's call Discovery and the Sunshine Law...
Someone in his office needs to write it on a Post-It note and stick it the end of his nose .

"Ah yes, now I get it...it's a LAW, I think I learned that at Law School..oh there's that word again."

"Judge Perry could you re-invent the wheel? My mother always said if you don't ask you'll never receive"

Intermezzo
08-24-2010, 10:10 PM
Not sure why JB is whinning...everytime it is posted in the paper that her account is low someone sends her money. Sounds like a win, win situation to me. jmo

You are so right, lambchop
Baez needs to look at the bright side.

Intermezzo
08-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Did I read the title of this thread right? I felt like I fell into an alternate universe when I read it. DIDN'T THE DEFENSE FIGHT THE FIRST GAG ORDER? And now they want one on the media? NOW, TWO YEARS LATER?

And aren't they the ones who've been prancing in front of the media like movie stars every chance they get? And NOW they want to silence the MEDIA? Somebody slap me. This just can't. be. REAL!

Oh my brain just HURTS. This isn't twisting logic, this is MANGLING it. To be a fly on the wall when this hit HHJP's desk! I bet he's start to pop pain pills now because of this case, I know I would. And the SA...I bet they nearly laughed themselves to DEATH with this one. Seriously, Baez's motions are the prime feature at SA happy hour, I just know it!

And like it would have a chance in HELL of helping the case AT THIS POINT? Seriously, Jose, this is BEST you can come up with? For SHAME! If this isn't a mockery of the court system and justice...OMG, I cannot BELIEVE he filed this motion! WTF!

TWA, this takes "You can't make this stuff up" to whole NEW level of disbelief...

BBM
It sure does.

Intermezzo
08-24-2010, 10:16 PM

It could go something like this..

Judge P "Defense. How many Depo's have you taken lately?"

Defense "Well Judge, you see, we had to cancel a few, you see, we had to spend our time researching and submitting motions because the dang media wants to know what Casey is eating...and our girls doesn't like it"

Judge P "Oh well I'm sorry to hear that. :gavel:.I give you 2 weeks to wrap it up"

Okay, one can hope...:angel:

Intermezzo
08-24-2010, 10:17 PM
I just realized this is not a motion. It's titled as a "Notice of Standing Objection." The last sentence of the document reads "The defense hereby renews all previous objections to said disclosure and issues this standing objection."

So, I'm thinking the defense knows this notice is really pointless for this trial because Judge Perry won't block any disclosure or gag the media. They're submitting this solely to create some issue they can appeal to a higher court after Casey's found guilty. Maybe Baez and Mason have delusions of changing the Florida Sunshine Law or even the US Constitution someday.

BBM
I agree.

Numbers
08-24-2010, 10:20 PM

Oh, I can see half an hour:

Judge Perry: How many depositions have you taken, Mr. Bay..........ez?

JB: Only 2, Judge. We need more time.

<atomic explosion in the vicinity of the Judge's chair>

Intermezzo
08-24-2010, 10:20 PM
Ahh yes, I remember the bizarre witness proclaiming the prosecutors were out to kill attractive women! Another classic one for this case.

At this point, I really don't see how HHJP can let this charade go on. I wonder if her has any options here? I mean, Baez may be dense but I don't think he's THIS stupid - after having been told, repeatedly, that judge perry does NOT have control over the jail and that the media will do what the media will do - and if he doesn't like it, go to the supreme court and (I think) make a complaint regarding cruel and unusual punishment...

It's as if Baez has nothing constructive or meaningful to do - he KNOWS this, and so he falls back on filing things that are comfortable to him, no matter how repetitive or nonsensical.

BBM
That's right..like keep scheduled witness Depo's

Intermezzo
08-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Doesn't he have a few thousand hard working volunteers to be looking into? Tick-tock Mr. Baezzz this motion was decided before you even wrote it. What are you even thinking?

Maybe he was due to submit yet another frivolous, already decided upon, Motion

denjet
08-24-2010, 10:41 PM
November 25, 2008 Hearing
http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news...n_Anthony_case

"Baez, along with lawyers representing the Orlando Sentinel newspaper and various Orlando television stations, challenged the gag order. "When this case started, I expected to be on the eleven o'clock news," said Baez. Citing U.S. Supreme Court precedent, Baez said the gag order wasn't necessary. "It's a whole lot of hot air and not a whole lot of law," he said, adding "when push comes to shove, I'm going to err on the First Amendment every time."

Just in case anyone forgot..Casey was facing the Death Penalty when Baez stated the above at that Hearing.

#4. It has been and continues to be the Defenses position that the First Amendment rights of the media must give way to the constitutionally protected rights of accused, especially when the State seeks the ultimate penalty of Death.."

Thanks for the refresher! Flip flop ... Jose true to form ...

OK, so if I have this straight Jose is all about preserving 1st Amendment rights ... for himself and his client, but not for the prosecution nor federal, state, county agencies including records produced by the Florida Sunshine Laws because their 1st Amendment rights must take a back seat to Casey's 6th Amendment right to a fair trial ... (and also because their information and records tend to make his client look bad) ...

Baez's statement needs correcting:

"It's a whole lot of hot air and not a whole lot of law"

Not "It's a whole lot of ..." , should be "I'm a whole lot of ..."

And he should be ashamed for parroting Judge Strickland's own words .. "when push comes to shove, I'm going to err on the First Amendment every time" ... proving once again that Baez really doesn't have any original thoughts .. well none that make any sense ...

Snaz
08-24-2010, 10:50 PM
The clerk's docket shows that the status hearing is at 1:30 and then at 2pm is a Scheduling Conference.

08/30/2010 Status Hearing (1:30 PM)
08/30/2010 Hearing (2:00 PM)
Scheduling Conference

You are correct... I should have looked more carefully at the time. I was actually clarifying to the previous poster that the date was August 30 and not August 31 and did not pay close enough attention to the time.

Thank you for correcting me. :o

whiteangora
08-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Someone in his office needs to write it on a Post-It note and stick it the end of his nose .

:laugh:"Ah yes, now I get it...it's a LAW, I think I learned that at Law School..oh there's that word again."

"Judge Perry could you re-invent the wheel? My mother always said if you don't ask you'll never receive"
bbm
:rolling::rolling:You guys are cracking me up on this thread!:clap:

countzero
08-24-2010, 11:06 PM
BBM

Any chance this interview is what is about to be released?

Honestly I haven't a clue. It must be a doozy because this link is from 7.31.10 posted by nums24 listing the documents to be released by the SAO, Provision for Discovery notice. I believe the defense has a certain amount of days to object to any releasing of these types of documents under the sunshine law.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Unreleased Evidence: What are you waiting to see?

Woe.be.gone
08-24-2010, 11:07 PM

"Ah yes, now I get it...it's a LAW, I think I learned that at Law School..oh there's that word again."

You mean like,
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet? :banghead:

faefrost
08-24-2010, 11:18 PM

Can I add a few more wow's?!

"Perhaps most telling, the Motion is bereft of any citation to legal authority, at all."

This is part of the above linked judges response to JB's prior motion on what amounts to the same subject. If thisone comes to a hearing it will be something truly special to watch.

Brassband
08-24-2010, 11:44 PM
We need a lawyer to weigh in here.
I think this is all strategy. Baez and Mason need to file this Notice. When KC is found guilty of first degree murder, she will appeal. One of her appeals will be based on her assertion that she didn’t receive a fair trial because of Florida’s “Sunshine” Law. The Defense must object to the Judge’s previous ruling (because they lost) so that they can preserve their right to appeal the ruling.
If they didn’t file this, then KC would really have some really crummy representation. I don't want to have two trials and waste the taxpayers money, so I say, let him file all the notices and motions he wants. jmo

pip
08-24-2010, 11:53 PM
So Mr. No-gag-order Baez again wants to supercede the Sunshine Law by picking-n-choosing what can and cannot be released. How convenient. His self-perceived omnipotence rearing its ugly head, as usual. Surely trivial media blips about cocoa and crackers isn't what drives this motion. I have a sneaking hunch some damning documents are headed for public release. Can't have it both ways, Baez. No media blitzing with a gag order, and you can't block release of information without one. Tough cookies JB.
Looking forward to the next round of docs. Should be good ones. :dance:

Nore
08-25-2010, 12:21 AM

--------------
I was just thinking the same thing! Also he should remember to give good thought to the gag order topic next time.If THEY weren't out there flapping their gums on tv.etc. they wouldnt need this changed.Who the He77 do they think they are? Sounds like one poor soul with Alzheimers!!!:furious::banghead:they need to be reminded again B. got what he asked for.

Paintr
08-25-2010, 12:33 AM
I have a mental picture of HHJP meeting HHSS in the hallway and saying (while shaking his head in exasperation) 'Stan, you'll never believe what they did THIS time!' LOL!

Horace Finklestein
08-25-2010, 12:42 AM
Anyone have a guess about what type of docs might be released? Or why they might be damaging - are we talking jail visits or something?

LancelotLink
08-25-2010, 01:04 AM
Watching the video from the gag order hearing is a must see...again!
The irony is indeed rich!!

Horace, I'm hoping it is the CA interview. I was worried that the lag time on this had to do with a misunderstanding on dates and description, that the media perhaps thought this had already been released. I emailed Hal from OS two days ago about this and he said they he did not know why it was being held up. Maybe this is what is coming out. With this case, who knows?? LOL

ETA-JB talking about tips. First they gave me psychics, then they gave me suggestions, "Check around the corner from the house."
WOW!

Horace Finklestein
08-25-2010, 01:33 AM
I think this is all strategy. Baez and Mason need to file this Notice. When KC is found guilty of first degree murder, she will appeal. One of her appeals will be based on her assertion that she didn’t receive a fair trial because of Florida’s “Sunshine” Law. The Defense must object to the Judge’s previous ruling (because they lost) so that they can preserve their right to appeal the ruling.
If they didn’t file this, then KC would really have some really crummy representation. I don't want to have two trials and waste the taxpayers money, so I say, let him file all the notices and motions he wants. jmo

What do you mean?

mitzi
08-25-2010, 01:41 AM
Oh, I can see half an hour:

Judge Perry: How many depositions have you taken, Mr. Bay..........ez?

JB: Only 2, Judge. We need more time.

<atomic explosion in the vicinity of the Judge's chair>

Bold mine.

LOL...more like a Florida earthquake as HHJP's chair sets to rockin' uncontrollably, faster and faster, spinning out of control, until his chair flies through the air, and lands on HHJS's rainbow with a THUD! :dance:

SubtleGrace
08-25-2010, 03:17 AM
jury tainting, or appeals or even stupidity. He is trying desperately to get kicked off the case before trial. He knows she did it. He knows that George and Cindy knew before the body was found (and that they knew where it was). He can't quit. He can't win. Anything. The trial nor any appeals. He is trying to get thrown off the crazy merry-go-round he is on.

Imho

butterfly1978
08-25-2010, 03:19 AM
My, my, my Jose (shakes head)

Somebody please explain to me, how JB can fight a gag order , sell photo's, get on every news station and then forcing JS to step down claiming he is a media hound that then claim the media is tainting the jury... WTF, am I just an idiot???because I am not understanding this

rhornsby
08-25-2010, 04:45 AM

Most intelligent (and correct) observation on this thread.

kaRN
08-25-2010, 04:56 AM
I think the defense should consider that if the commisary records weren't made public, precious KC wouldn't have had anything in her account to buy bra's with. Seems to me, everytime the media reports her account is low or overdrawn, some sucker deposits cash.
I personally don't care what KC eats. I don't care if she goes on a hunger strike or breaks out in acne or chips her tooth. I only care that she's punished for killing an innocent child in cold blood.
So if the judge rules to allow JB's most recent OCD motion, does that mean no more trips to NYC for Cindy and George or visits to JVM for JB?

QB.
08-25-2010, 07:21 AM
You are correct... I should have looked more carefully at the time. I was actually clarifying to the previous poster that the date was August 30 and not August 31 and did not pay close enough attention to the time.

Thank you for correcting me. :o

I'm a bit of a stickler for details like that, no offense intended. Its just that the hearing is this Monday and I wanted to be sure of the actual starting time myself.
:D

zoey
08-25-2010, 07:27 AM
He's upset that people know that Casey ordered Cocoa and crackers?

That's the reason for this motion? That Casey can't get a fair trial because she ordered Cocoa and crackers?

This has to be a joke?

Last time he complained he was upset over a bra order...that to me would have been worse---open court and out of all the things ordered my atty chooses a "bra" order??????? Why not the food issue???? He is wasting time in my opinion on useless things and making the defense look silly and very un-professional....:loser:

zoey
08-25-2010, 07:38 AM
BBM

the last two times jb brought up that doc dump of letters and how unfair it was, along with him not being able to read it---I certainly hope he has had time to read it now....He is just prolonging this. Hoping to get lucky.....I just hope HHJP stops this useless filing...doesn't he have to pay for all these (okay---JAC/State of Flordia)--???

Intermezzo
08-25-2010, 07:42 AM

Brassband,
I agree with you, it is strategy and will be used for the Appeal.

Charleyann
08-25-2010, 08:24 AM
Like they can yack, but no one else. Cindy emailed a news organization to donate a pair of caylee shoes?

Oh please ...Heaven help the poor child who has to walk in Caylee's shoes ! So sad....

Cindy makes on like she is donating celebrity shoes? Come on. Who will walk in Caylee shoes ? ! Certainly not her family ! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrr

LiveLaughLuv
08-25-2010, 08:33 AM

Thanks, Richard...

Now, why oh why did Baez fight that gag order when the SA's wanted one?

Why wouldn't he go along with keeping things quiet until it blew up at trial?

Why does Baez not get that His Honor cannot change what Orange County Jails procedures are??

This to me shows, Baez is not clear on the law. Baez is just proving why it took 8 long years to become an attorney. He put himself neck deep and now is looking like the court jester and not an officer of the court. Which he uses like toilet paper, as if he abides by it???

All retorical questions for I understand you can't answer for him. If a laymen like myself can see the egregious errors, I'd want a different attorney to fight for my life. Seems like he just adds to the nails going into that proverbial coffin, as her mother is doing as well...and I do believe Baez enlists CA's help in mudding the waters. He knows she's a loose cannon and will do whatever it takes...JMHO

Justice for Caylee

LiveLaughLuv
08-25-2010, 09:17 AM
Motion to silence the media, would that include Baez running to the media? He seems to be the one who "leaks" the info and now wants it supressed???

If it includes himself and CMason, then please JBP, grant it just to shut him up as well...LMAO :croc:

Justice for Caylee

The World According
08-25-2010, 09:40 AM
*snipped* RedBBM

My friend, buckle up, get a helmet, buy some Extra Strength Tylenol, pray, breathe.....you will see nothing but this. The best, the very best predictor of future behavior is their past behavior and the record is replete with examples. The large majority of what they file is for the appeal process. In Judge Perry's words, I know what and why you are doing this, you can ask for anything you like, it does not mean you are going to get it. Remember the "Bear in mind" spanking he gave to Baez? I laugh about it. Still!
Moo
Did I hear Jose correctly , "The Horse has left the barn a long time ago in this case",? That is going to be front page of my book, first paragraph. You just can't make this stuff up. 10821

One of the funniest hearings I have ever seen. Ever!
.http://www.wftv.com/video/18147900/index.html

ohiogirl
08-25-2010, 09:47 AM
Thanks, Richard...

Now, why oh why did Baez fight that gag order when the SA's wanted one?

Why wouldn't he go along with keeping things quiet until it blew up at trial?

Why does Baez not get that His Honor cannot change what Orange County Jails procedures are??

This to me shows, Baez is not clear on the law. Baez is just proving why it took 8 long years to become an attorney. He put himself neck deep and now is looking like the court jester and not an officer of the court. Which he uses like toilet paper, as if he abides by it???

All retorical questions for I understand you can't answer for him. If a laymen like myself can see the egregious errors, I'd want a different attorney to fight for my life. Seems like he just adds to the nails going into that proverbial coffin, as her mother is doing as well...and I do believe Baez enlists CA's help in mudding the waters. He knows she's a loose cannon and will do whatever it takes...JMHO

Justice for Caylee
He fought the gag order so he could bring up the unfair trial on appeal, imo. He knows he doesn't have a chance in H*** of getting out of this, appeals are his only resort.

The World According
08-25-2010, 10:00 AM
.http://www.wftv.com/video/18147900/index.html
Excellent post and spot on. We will see many more things filed that are purely perfunctory.

Unfortunately for Casey, her lawyers don't even give notice to the proper parties in their motions and their arguments contradict many of their prior arguments. It is clear that Baez is in way over his head. In this hearing,Mr. Ashton informs the judge that when Mr. Lennomen gave Mr. Ashton his memo on why Casey should not be facing a possible death penalty, he received a phone call from the Orlando Sentinel who had received a copy of the letter
( not a public record document ) BEFORE Mr. Ashton even had it.

The remainder of the hearing is fascinating. Mr. Ashton gives example after example of the many times Baez has went to the press in print and television. His argument is perfunctory on this matter. Indeed.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

Mr. Ashton uses this exchange ON TELEVISION that Jose had with host of The Verdict, in the hearing for the gag order. WOW!!! He has been so bad for Casey's case, imo, it would be tough to measure. He admits here she lied.
ABRAMS: Joining me now is Jose Baez, Casey Anthony‘s attorney. Thanks very much for taking the time. Appreciate it. All right. We heard there her mother saying that Casey knows who has Caylee. Is that true?

BAEZ: Well, I don‘t have any of that information. Casey has told me that she does not know where Caylee is.

ABRAMS: So why do you think she would have said that to her mom?

BAEZ: She hasn‘t spoken with her mother. It was a brief phone call that she had from the jail about a week ago or, I guess the evening of her arrest, almost a week ago, I should say. But the only one who‘s had any contact with her is myself and I‘ve had the opportunity to discuss this with her at great length. And she‘s never told me that she knows where Caylee is.

ABRAMS: So as she said, she doesn‘t know who she‘s with and she doesn‘t know where she‘s with or did she say, “I have an idea where she might be”?
Advertisement | ad info

BAEZ: She‘s told me she does not know where Caylee is. As far as any suspicions or any other things like that, I‘m not at liberty to comment on.

ABRAMS: I think the one thing that really disturbs so many people, as you know, is the fact that she took five weeks to report Caylee missing. How can one possibly explain that?

BAEZ: Well, you know, there is an explanation and I‘ve discussed it with her and, you know, I think when all is said and done, many people are going to realize that there is a reasonable explanation behind her actions. Unfortunately, you know, we - unfortunately, I‘m not at liberty to say, you know, everything that I‘ve discussed with her. We‘ve decided that it‘s in her best interest to wait and hold that for the defense as far as her explanation why. Right now our goal is to try and find Caylee and we want to get her out immediately so we can assist in doing that.

ABRAMS: If that‘s the goal, though, then why has she told so many lies to the authorities? And let me go over these. She told detectives, she last saw Caylee after dropping her off at an apartment complex. It turned out the apartment complex has been vacant since February. She told detectives she was an event planner at Universal Studios - she was fired two years ago. She detectives Caylee‘s babysitter once lived in an apartment building in Orlando. It turned out the building - it turned out to be for seniors only. She claimed that a woman who was Caylee‘s long-time babysitter; that woman told investigators she doesn‘t know the Anthonys and has never been the babysitter.

Again, and again it seems she‘s lying to the authorities and you‘re saying she really wants to help them find Caylee.

BAEZ: Yes. You know, first off, there‘s an explanation for her stories. However -

ABRAMS: Would you call them lies? .

BAEZ: Well, yes, you can call them whatever you like. I think we‘re really talking about semantics here. But I would say this - her explanation is understandable. I‘ve discussed it with her, but not everything that the police are saying is completely accurate and the media has, on certain occasions, twisted things.

For example, the babysitter - she clearly told the police when shown the photograph of the person the police spoke with, she told the police that that is not the babysitter that she left the child with. So, there‘s - it‘s being passed along as if the police have actually spoken with the babysitter when, in fact, they haven‘t.

ABRAMS: So - but, is it fair to say that she has not been entirely forthcoming with the authorities?

BAEZ: I think it‘s fair to say that, yes. Absolutely.
Advertisement | ad info

ABRAMS: And that‘s a problem, isn‘t it? When you‘re trying to find someone who‘s missing?

BAEZ: You know, it certainly is a problem. This is a very difficult situation. What we‘re trying to do is get her out of jail so that way we can have - she can have contact with her family. She can help me assist with her defense and also assist us finding Caylee. That‘s really the focus. Everybody is really trying to help find Caylee and, I mean, that is really the bulk of everything we‘re trying to do.

ABRAMS: Jose Baez, thanks very much for coming on. We appreciate it.

BAEZ: Thank you.

ABRAMS: Joining us now on the phone, Orange County Deputy Sheriff Carlos Padilla.

All right. Sheriff, you‘ve heard now what Mr. Baez has been saying. How helpful or not so helpful has Casey been in this investigation?

CARLOS PADILLA, ORANGE COUNTY DEPUTY SHERIFF (on the phone): Well, let‘s put it this way. Had she been helpful from the beginning, she would not be in jail and Caylee would be home with the family.

ABRAMS: But it sounds, though, Mr. Baez was accusing you - us, the media of twisting the truth with regard to some of the allegations in this case. What do you make of that?

PADILLA: Well, keep this in mind. We in law enforcement went to the media to put her name and her picture out there and to implore the community and the citizens to help us locate Caylee. For example, if anybody saw her to give us a call and that‘s all we‘ve done. We have not made the rounds with the media. We have not been on the shows with the media. We haven‘t been calling around and trying to have several, you know, interviews on different types of shows.

Unfortunately, I would have thought that that energy should have been spent on having Casey talk to law enforcement and tell us where the child is."

You just can't make this stuff up!!!

ZsaZsa
08-25-2010, 10:25 AM
We keep hearing that Baez' motivation for a lot of actions is to provide fodder for an appeal. Can he just appeal ad infinitum- doesn't someone have to decide that an appeal is justified, or can he just launch these appeals because the verdict is not what he wants.....?

ohiogirl
08-25-2010, 10:53 AM
I think he can appeal on as many issues as he wants, it doesn't mean they will be granted. I don't know how the deciding body will regard numerous appeals, but I would think they can get as exasperated as they want, they still have to review them and grant or deny based on the law. imo of course, i am not a lawyer.

JLMcKenna83
08-25-2010, 10:53 AM
If JB fought the initial gag order, how can he use it as a basis for appeal?

The World According
08-25-2010, 11:05 AM
'Verdict with Dan Abrams' for Monday, July 21 - msnbc tv - Morning ...
Jul 22, 2008 .
www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25799460/ - Cached

link to Baez interview that Mr. Ashton uses as an egregious example of Jose talking to the media being harmful to his client's case

Gaia713
08-25-2010, 11:14 AM
IMO they are trying to get this Motion in place before they have to give all of the reciprocal discovery over: ie, their own deposition transcripts. I think they do not want the public to know the questions they are asking the potential witnesses, thus giving away their so called strategy. It is also entirely possible that they want to get this order in place before the final witness list dealine. In that way, they can be sure to have their list kept "secret" and that one special witness they have yet to name can escape public scrutiny.Stategy. I don't believe you can use "strategy" and "Baez" in the same reference. They are a contradiction in terms.

Gaia713
08-25-2010, 11:19 AM
jury tainting, or appeals or even stupidity. He is trying desperately to get kicked off the case before trial. He knows she did it. He knows that George and Cindy knew before the body was found (and that they knew where it was). He can't quit. He can't win. Anything. The trial nor any appeals. He is trying to get thrown off the crazy merry-go-round he is on.

Imho I respectfully disagree. Without this case he'll just be another low-life attorney hanging out at the jail in hopes of getting a client. Now he is JOSE BAEZ, the man who is goign to keep Casey Anthony off death row, and his fat face is all over the media. Might I suggest he get a good diet and some brains?

Gaia713
08-25-2010, 11:29 AM
He fought the gag order so he could bring up the unfair trial on appeal, imo. He knows he doesn't have a chance in H*** of getting out of this, appeals are his only resort. IIRC appeals have to have some legal basis for them. His "it's not fair" motions are not grounded in the law. I think he thinks he is doing this for appeal purposes, but is he also aware that doing this will mean he has a snowball's chance in h*** of getting an appeal on ineffective counsel? Frankly, I Think he should be fined for wasting the court's time and money. Just asking for the same thing over an over again serves little purpose other than to raise anger in the opinion of the publi he is so desperately trying to influence. I would hve to agree that there's no way Casey could get a fair trial in Orlando, and that's do to his Herculean efforts to taint the jury pool on his own.

zoey
08-25-2010, 11:29 AM
I respectfully disagree. Without this case he'll just be another low-life attorney hanging out at the jail in hopes of getting a client. Now he is JOSE BAEZ, the man who is goign to keep Casey Anthony off death row, and his fat face is all over the media. Might I suggest he get a good diet and some brains?

after reading this I can only hum "We're off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Oz.....":blushing:

whiteangora
08-25-2010, 11:32 AM
'Verdict with Dan Abrams' for Monday, July 21 - msnbc tv - Morning ...
Jul 22, 2008 .
www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25799460/ (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25799460/) - Cached

link to Baez interview that Mr. Ashton uses as an egregious example of Jose talking to the media being harmful to his client's case

Thank you TWA for all of these not so gentle little reminders of JB's total incompetency. I've been waiting for you to weigh in on this thread.:wave:

The World According
08-25-2010, 11:57 AM
The Felix Frankfurter Professor of Law at Harvard Law School, Mr. Baez is not.
He would do well to study seriously some of the great appeals and the objections during the guilt/innocence phase that paved the way.
The fact that he cannot even prepare a motion correctly and he remains unaware that it is required, not a suggestion, that one must notice all parties, leads me to infer indeed procedures and the rules of Florida law are not something he , how shall I put this....devotes time to continuing education on.

Someone was asking why is he sooo worried about laying a record for appeals. That is a crucial part of his job, he must protect the record for appeal. I trust the defense will realize later that losing Mrs. Lyon did matter. A lot!!! The fact that he does these perfunctory, ( for formality, for the file ) things is not the problem. The problem is he is doing them wrong.

These are quotes, not my words:

"Jose Baez is a moron, that is both my professional and personal opinion."
"I do think she will plead at the last minute, a trial would be suicide and only make things worse."
- Richard Hornsby

"You can pretty well predict there's going to be a life sentence, either a plea and get it over with or have a circus trial and then be convicted and get life," Mason said.

If the lawyers were not preparing for appeal from day one, that would be insane. So , they do what they do, we laugh at it, in the end, Judge Perry has got this!!! If you notice when he rules, he cites from Supreme Court decisions. He has got this!!!!
Remain calm. Judge Perry is in 'da house!!

Rules of Procedure: Table of Contents - The Florida Bar

www.floridabar.org

Trapshooter
08-25-2010, 12:44 PM
I have to laugh at Baez! Isn't this like closing the barn door after letting the horse out of the barn?

Snaz
08-25-2010, 12:53 PM
Thank you TWA for all of these not so gentle little reminders of JB's total incompetency. I've been waiting for you to weigh in on this thread.:wave:

BBM

See what I mean, TWA? Others wait for your posts, as well! :dance:

cmsg2002
08-25-2010, 01:20 PM
IMO...this is just part of their strategy...creating issues for appeal as they have to fairly certain she will be convicted. I think we will see many more similar motions leading up to the trial.

pip
08-25-2010, 01:37 PM
IMO...this is just part of their strategy...creating issues for appeal as they have to fairly certain she will be convicted. I think we will see many more similar motions leading up to the trial.
I agree. I think we are in for round 2 of the pre-trial media blitz... I am predicting the A's will go full-out again like round 1....and Baez et al will be hitting the media circuit hard as well. One frivolous motion and complaint after the next. The writing is on the wall....ICA's goose is cooked. It's all about mitigating the sentence and appeals now.

Chiquita71
08-25-2010, 01:52 PM
Hello WS

Okay. So all of this craziness is so JB can appeal for Casey instead of working on a defense for the actual trial that is now two years over due. Okay. Nice system. :rolleyes:

Smarmy defense attys can use the system to muck it up...again...nice system. What good is the law when it can be circumvented and used for gain by crooks?

IMHO, the "law" is not based on reality.

ETA: Upon looking at my statement, I realize that Jose isn't circumventing the law...what he is doing is within the law...and that would be the problem...

:twocents:

TorisMom003
08-25-2010, 04:29 PM
If Hornsby is still reading this thread I have a question for him.

Apparently this is a "good idea" for Baez to file this even though he turned down the gag order in 2008. Now why in the world should Judge Perry agree to this when not that long ago Baez himself sent copies of emails from Cindy Anthony and Mark N that would Baez would be using in a motion? Baez himself acted before the Sunshine Law went into effect that time. Baez himself decided that it was in the "best interest" of his client to try and prove that not only did Mark N behave badly but so did Brad C. So if Baez really feels that the media is doing more damage than good to his client why is he sending information to the media himself?

I'm unclear as to how anyone would/could think that Baez is doing exactly as he should now in filing this motion (or whatever it is) when he himself did the same thing he is complaining about.

Perhaps Baez needs some time to refresh his memory as to what he has said and done in the past concerning this case.

nums24
08-25-2010, 04:44 PM
There were 2 notices filed yesterday:

2nd Renewed Notice of Standing Objection of Abuse of Florida Statute Chapter 119.01

http://www.ninthcircuit.org/news/High-Profile-Cases/Anthony/Downloads/2nd%20Renewed%20Notice%20of%20Standing%20Objection %20of%20Abuse%20of%20Florida%20Statute%20Chapter%2 0119.01.pdf

Renewed Notice of Standing Objection of Abuse of Florida Statute Chapter 119.01
http://www.ninthcircuit.org/news/High-Profile-Cases/Anthony/Downloads/Renewed%20Notice%20of%20Standing%20Objection%20of% 20Abuse%20of%20Florida%20Statute%20Chapter%20119.0 1.pdf

faefrost
08-25-2010, 05:07 PM

I agree, and certainly in a death penalty case the lawyer needs to be doing whateve4r they can to preserve issues for appeal. It's part of the circus and to fail to do so would be grossly negligent.

But what I wonder is will these motions actually do that? The only citations of law or arguments made in them is essentially "but I don't think it's fair!!!" There is no cited law. No cited publications, nothing. Essentially they are seeking to keep an issue open because... well just because he wants to. Will an appellate court even consider that?

Granted I'm not a lawyer, but "well I don't think it's fair!" seems just a little bit flimsy to use as a stand alone argument for overturning a judges ruling, overturning state law and challenging the state constitution.

drip~drop
08-25-2010, 05:16 PM
I have to laugh at Baez! Isn't this like closing the barn door after letting the horse out of the barn?

He's hoping he has some magic carrots. ;)

Kentjbkent
08-25-2010, 05:19 PM
So I am curious.....:waitasec:

So many on this forum have been following this case from the very beginning and have kept amazing, detailed notes to refer back to...

I think it would be VERY INTERESTING to see an all inclusive listing of ALL defense team media appearances, interviews, itemized of course, by the party providing the information to the media....

Something similar to the "no discussion - list only" threads we have for motions, etc.... do we have a similar thread here on WS? If not, we should....I think it would be mind boggling....and amazing to see such a list attached to a response from the prosecution...

I actually already have a list of all the media appearances and interviews with the prosecution and would be happy to post and share it.....

But my pages are STILL BLANK!!!!! :woohoo:

beach
08-25-2010, 05:56 PM

Unfortunately for Casey, her lawyers don't even give notice to the proper parties in their motions and their arguments contradict many of their prior arguments.
--snipped for subject matter; BBM

I agree with everyone quoted here. But somebody tell me how this will help an appeal when Baez hasn't even noticed the proper authorities??? Judge Perry TOLD HIM that he has no jurisdiction over the jail and he needed to include them when he sent out notices. I believe this is the 3rd objection he has filed about this and he STILL didn't include the jail on the certificate of service.

strawberry
08-25-2010, 06:01 PM
Just saw on facebook that JVM will be talking about this tonight.

beach
08-25-2010, 06:16 PM
I agree, and certainly in a death penalty case the lawyer needs to be doing whateve4r they can to preserve issues for appeal. It's part of the circus and to fail to do so would be grossly negligent.

But what I wonder is will these motions actually do that? The only citations of law or arguments made in them is essentially "but I don't think it's fair!!!" There is no cited law. No cited publications, nothing. Essentially they are seeking to keep an issue open because... well just because he wants to. Will an appellate court even consider that?

Granted I'm not a lawyer, but "well I don't think it's fair!" seems just a little bit flimsy to use as a stand alone argument for overturning a judges ruling, overturning state law and challenging the state constitution.

BBM

There are no citations for a good reason this time.

When you cite case law you look to the 'primary authority'. Primary authority is law generated by a government body. The primary authority can be case law or legislative enactments (e.g., constitutions, statutes, ordinances, etc...). In this case, the Florida Supreme Court has obviously upheld the constitutionality of the Sunshine Laws. So, he doesn't have a primary source in FL. I guess he is planning on challenging the Sunshine Laws as a federal matter. :waitasec:

eta: In re. publications - those would be secondary authorities. They are not generated by any case law and include commentary and opinions of experts and attorneys. They are used to persuade and support an argument, but they are never binding or mandatory.

surfinsue1029
08-25-2010, 06:46 PM

So many on this forum have been following this case from the very beginning and have kept amazing, detailed notes to refer back to...

I think it would be VERY INTERESTING to see an all inclusive listing of ALL defense team media appearances, interviews, itemized of course, by the party providing the information to the media....

Something similar to the "no discussion - list only" threads we have for motions, etc.... do we have a similar thread here on WS? If not, we should....I think it would be mind boggling....and amazing to see such a list attached to a response from the prosecution...

I actually already have a list of all the media appearances and interviews with the prosecution and would be happy to post and share it.....

Touche!!!!

strawberry
08-25-2010, 07:34 PM
Oh good grief, some caller on JVM just says she doesn't care what KC had for dinner but thinks she's been wrongly accused since GA tried to commit suicide; he must be covering up.

LambChop
08-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Oh good grief, some caller on JVM just says she doesn't care what KC had for dinner but thinks she's been wrongly accused since GA tried to commit suicide; he must be covering up.

LOL. Did this caller also mention she donated a pair of children's shoes to a charity that is running a benefit on Saturday?????

Dear Prudence
08-25-2010, 09:09 PM
There were 2 notices filed yesterday:

2nd Renewed Notice of Standing Objection of Abuse of Florida Statute Chapter 119.01

http://www.ninthcircuit.org/news/High-Profile-Cases/Anthony/Downloads/2nd%20Renewed%20Notice%20of%20Standing%20Objection %20of%20Abuse%20of%20Florida%20Statute%20Chapter%2 0119.01.pdf

Renewed Notice of Standing Objection of Abuse of Florida Statute Chapter 119.01
http://www.ninthcircuit.org/news/High-Profile-Cases/Anthony/Downloads/Renewed%20Notice%20of%20Standing%20Objection%20of% 20Abuse%20of%20Florida%20Statute%20Chapter%20119.0 1.pdf

So there were actually 3 Notices of Standing Objections filed yesterday.

The first is the "Notice of Standing Objection of Abuse of Florida Statute Chapter 119.01" which objects to the release of information by law enforcement, corrections and state attorneys office. Attached to the notice was the "Crackers and Cocoa" article by WESH.com.

The second is the "Renewed Notice of Standing Objection of Abuse of Florida Statute Chapter 119.01" which objects to the release of information by JAC, the Judicial Administrative Commission (plus LE, corrections and SA again- just to make sure they weren't overlooked on the first notice, I guess). Attached to this notice is "Casey's defense investigates George Anthony" article by WESH.com regarding the PI's invoice that JAC paid.

The third is the "2nd Renewed Notion of Standing Objection of Abuse of Florida Statute Chapter 119.01" which objects to the release of information by all of the agencies listed in the previous two notices again. Later in the notice they complain about the jail visitor's log being released. Attached to this notice is "Casey Anthony Meets with Psychologist" article by ClickOrlando.com.

LancelotLink
08-25-2010, 09:25 PM

I hope Jane had issues with this.
Hopefully, one day, the truth about the farce of an attempted suicide will come to light. What these people won't do to save their butts...:banghead:

CarolinaMoon
08-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Oy vey! The defense is really on a tear here!

Given, they are preserving these motions and objections for appellate reasons.

Let's remember, however, that once the case is over, Baez is no longer her attorney. Should Casey be found guilty, she will need an attorney grounded in appellate matters. She is indigent. It's most likely the Court would appoint an attorney for her appeals.

I can't imagine what a new lawyer would think of these particular documents. I'd also love to know an attorney's opinion of these particular items. As has been pointed out, the Sunshine Laws as they exist in Florida would have to be overturned for these arguments to prevail.

blazeofglory
08-25-2010, 10:04 PM
so does this mean mr.lichtenstein the bald headed producer guy that always sits in the courtroom with ga and ca needs to go also..i cant believe hes always allowed in when they say they arent making money..than whats it all about why is he there hes a big producer for alot of networks..he should have to go also dont you think?

denjet
08-25-2010, 10:04 PM

Oy vey! The defense is really on a tear here!

Given, they are preserving these motions and objections for appellate reasons.

Let's remember, however, that once the case is over, Baez is no longer her attorney. Should Casey be found guilty, she will need an attorney grounded in appellate matters. She is indigent. It's most likely the Court would appoint an attorney for her appeals.

I can't imagine what a new lawyer would think of these particular documents. I'd also love to know an attorney's opinion of these particular items. As has been pointed out, the Sunshine Laws as they exist in Florida would have to be overturned for these arguments to prevail.

Good points ... I would also like to hear from an appellate legal expert what he/she thinks of the motions so far that have been filed to be used in the appeals process ... and how it's decided if these are even valid motions for an appeal ...

strawberry
08-26-2010, 09:08 AM
I hope Jane had issues with this.
Hopefully, one day, the truth about the farce of an attempted suicide will come to light. What these people won't do to save their butts...:banghead:

I had to change the channel. But when I changed it back an "expert" was saying how cocoa and crackers are no big deal; that it would be different if the public were allowed to see visitors to the jail such as experts. :waitasec:

faefrost
08-26-2010, 04:10 PM
He fought the gag order so he could bring up the unfair trial on appeal, imo. He knows he doesn't have a chance in H*** of getting out of this, appeals are his only resort.

He fought the gag order, because the entirety of his chances of getting paid revolved around keeping the case front and center as a media circus. It's that simple. ABC News will not pay $200k for exclusive pictures to a story nobody is telling or watching.

It is for precisely this reason that criminal lawyers are not supposed to be able to accept contingency payments and are supposed to be paid up front. In this case the lawyers financial interests ran counter to what the best course of action for the case and the client are. And with this latest twist I really hope somebody finally calls him out on it.

kaRN
08-29-2010, 11:42 AM
I had to change the channel. But when I changed it back an "expert" was saying how cocoa and crackers are no big deal; that it would be different if the public were allowed to see visitors to the jail such as experts. :waitasec:

Well informed experts with attitude are my favourite. Ahh Janey Weintraub, so quick to defend but without 2 clues to rub together.

kaRN
08-29-2010, 11:57 AM
BBM

See what I mean, TWA? Others wait for your posts, as well! :dance:

We're telling her the same things Snaz lol!!! See TWA it must be true!!
In advertising a single letter or phone call regarding an ad, good or bad, is considered the opinion of another 2000 people who never bother to express their opinion but have one.
4000 people hanging on to your words TWA...and counting. Sorry for OT :)

cyberborg
08-29-2010, 08:02 PM

I completely agree.

If this is the best that JB has and can do then, ICA needs to be worried -- very worried!

Unless JB is planning to pull a major coup to overturn the Florida Sunshine Laws then all this does, once again, is to cry foul, whine and, stamp your feet that ICA is being treated unfairly .... when she is being treated EXACTLY the same as everyone else.

Maybe it will resonate with some in the future Jury pool, the perception that ICA is being treated unfairly and targetted but .... is this the best that JB has?

What about the forensic evidence inspection by his experts? Is the best the Defense can do is whine about the public disclosure of poor ICA's commissary and the media coverage of her? Maybe JB needs it all to die down so it can start to be forgotten and it still lives on via the torch of --- Justice for Caylee!!!

sleutherontheside
11-05-2010, 01:17 AM
So.... RH is commenting that Pam Bondi's win for FL. AG may be an issue for the KC case. http://www.wesh.com/caseyanthony/25636911/detail.html

"She's excluded that as a venue in my opinion to go to find jurors," Hornsby said. "It gives the defense more ammunition to argue for more specific venues to pick the jury from."

Hornsby said Bondi should cut off any further legal analysis because it opens the door for other defense motions.

A spokesman for Bondi told WESH 2 News on Wednesday that she is "still open to offering her views, but she would have to look at each case and see if it would be appropriate."

How bout this........should Richard Hornsby could be cut off from further media analysis of the case until he signs a statement distancing himself from the case???? How bout that???

Does anyone recall him opining that Cheney Mason's early comments about the case (circus, plea, etc...) would be an issue?......down the road??? I'm thinking................NOPE!!!

Pot...kettle......let me introduce you two...or have you already met secretly ???? Just saying......

The World According
11-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Since the defense released these tapes of Kronks family, highly edited tapes, I might add, and went on morning shows indeed to speak about these tapes, it is hard to imagine the unmitigated gall they have to complain about the media. This is just one, example. There are so very many of them. Don't make me list them Mr. Baez. You know I can.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE_sLhcLQ9g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de8Krg3ToZA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG4Lhx41TiM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrB-_l9NB7c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRfZ-lKPjeg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzvg-m1UbeQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4LN6McLlzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SToRVntBME4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5zIrRgcsqg

Please, please ignore the vile, vulgar comments on some videos, they are not from my channel, I certainly do not endorse any of the comments or language. Watch the video only, please.

whiteangora
11-05-2010, 12:19 PM
So.... RH is commenting that Pam Bondi's win for FL. AG may be an issue for the KC case. http://www.wesh.com/caseyanthony/25636911/detail.html

"She's excluded that as a venue in my opinion to go to find jurors," Hornsby said. "It gives the defense more ammunition to argue for more specific venues to pick the jury from."

Hornsby said Bondi should cut off any further legal analysis because it opens the door for other defense motions.

A spokesman for Bondi told WESH 2 News on Wednesday that she is "still open to offering her views, but she would have to look at each case and see if it would be appropriate."

How bout this........should Richard Hornsby could be cut off from further media analysis of the case until he signs a statement distancing himself from the case???? How bout that???

Does anyone recall him opining that Cheney Mason's early comments about the case (circus, plea, etc...) would be an issue?......down the road??? I'm thinking................NOPE!!!

Pot...kettle......let me introduce you two...or have you already met secretly ???? Just saying......

I couldn't agree more, good for you!

watcher9
11-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Using that kind of logic, it would seem that JB could go for change of venue outside the state of FL since the whole state of FL voted her in as AG.

ETA - I just wanted to clarify that I don't believe he would be able to do this at all because he wouldn't know who in each area voted for her anyway.

Horace Finklestein
11-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Using that kind of logic, it would seem that JB could go for change of venue outside the state of FL since the whole state of FL voted her in as AG.

ETA - I just wanted to clarify that I don't believe he would be able to do this at all because he wouldn't know who in each area voted for her anyway.

I love how all of this nonsense comes up out of nowhere. Funny, I've never heard anything like this until the Casey Anthony Case. The focus on Caylee was lost a long time ago. As if an election should have anything to do with anything here. My God this is almost amusing. I'm sure Perry will love hearing about this one.

twomanywords
11-05-2010, 01:44 PM
I think it's odd RH never complained about CM either!
He has many little personal issues with people. Why is he even giving them any ideas?
I remember RH posting on his blog about the Bent case and how things might change for the Sunshine Laws in that respect to KC's case. NOT!
Thanks TWA for those video clips. You always have the right stuff!!!

The World According
11-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Not to worry, friends, imo Pam Bondi certainly deserves her election results. Of course she will refrain from commenting further on active cases. Secondly, the shows she commented on were often national shows, so they could have been viewed in any city/county in Florida. Even if; in an abundance of caution, the judge agrees to leave Tampa off his list...so what? He has plenty of other places to chose from , and under no set of circumstances are the folks going to be from Mars. Judge Perry will find a jury,and the trial will proceed. What Baez and company object to is of little or no relevance. Judge Perry will use his best judgment, regardless and I trust him to make an appeal proof decision.

Let's review a little gem from the beginning of the trial
http://www.wftv.com/video/18147900/

Check out the egregious things Baez had done, already , that early in the trial. It sure makes Ms. Pondi seem like a tea party by comparison.

May God bless Mrs. Bondi, she is a hero of mine! May she continue on her path. Snipped from the Examiner,
"Who is Pam Bondi and why is she so close to the Casey Anthony case?

If you’ve followed the Casey Anthony case for any length of time, you’re sure to have seen Pam Bondi. She’s made plenty of guest appearances on the Nancy Grace show, Issues with Jane Velez Mitchell, and is also a featured guest on shows such as Scarborough Country with Joe Scarborough. You’ll find her on networks from CNN to MSNBC and Fox News. You’ll also find Pam Bondi in Tampa where she serves as an Assistant State Attorney in Hillsborough County. Pam Bondi has become one of the leading authorities on the Casey Anthony case.

Pam Bondi was interviewed in the CBS 48 Hours Mystery: The Story of Caylee Anthony. You can watch the full video in the player below. In fact, she was the first person interviewed in the show and gave the opening statements. The Caylee Anthony murder has rocked the nation and it has permeated through the Tampa Bay area, from its local citizens who wonder if they would become jurors should the trial be moved here to Pam Bondi who has become one of the foremost experts on the case."
THE UNTOLD STORY OF CAYLEE, THE UNTOLD STORY OF CAYLEE timer55 on USTREAM. Breaking News

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWgynsljM-I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au7cd32b8wE

strawberry
11-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Pam Bondi is the new Attorney General for FL? I love her! She always seemed so smart and full of common sense when discussing this case.

The World According
11-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Pam Bondi is the new Attorney General for FL? I love her! She always seemed so smart and full of common sense when discussing this case.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS829zTsDIs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljYL4udxQZk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj4g_pdl6YA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0cn9EsH0F0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkdxkiQSxDw
Here Mrs. Bondi opines on the story of Caylee.

Dear Prudence
11-05-2010, 03:52 PM

I loved her commentaries on the case too.

So what does a Florida Attorney General do? Will the AG play some sort of role in Casey's case? I just don't understand why it's a factor now, but I'm sure I am missing something.

sleutherontheside
11-05-2010, 09:15 PM
I pulled out interesting comments made by KC in the jail visit. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,480148,00.html

I am upset now. The media is going to have a freaking field day with this. I wasn't even supposed to take this

So she was already very aware of the impact her statements would have in the media. Why was she "not supposed to take this"???? I assume she is referring to the visit.

My entire life has been taken from me. Everything has been taken from me. You don't understand. Everybody wants me to have answers. I do not have any answers because I do not know what is going on.
I have no one to talk to. It's the only person I can talk to right now, because I cannot even say anything to you guys besides telling you that I love you. I want Caylee. Things like that, and that's even being put on the air, which it should be. It is everything else, everything that I am not saying.

By her adding "things like that" AFTER talking about Caylee...she is saying I have a script to follow.....she then realizes how that may sound and adds "which it should be" as an AFTERTHOUGHT!

She was clearly instructed what to say...

nums24
11-05-2010, 09:37 PM
I pulled out interesting comments made by KC in the jail visit. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,480148,00.html

I am upset now. The media is going to have a freaking field day with this. I wasn't even supposed to take this

So she was already very aware of the impact her statements would have in the media. Why was she "not supposed to take this"???? I assume she is referring to the visit.

My entire life has been taken from me. Everything has been taken from me. You don't understand. Everybody wants me to have answers. I do not have any answers because I do not know what is going on.
I have no one to talk to. It's the only person I can talk to right now, because I cannot even say anything to you guys besides telling you that I love you. I want Caylee. Things like that, and that's even being put on the air, which it should be. It is everything else, everything that I am not saying.

By her adding "things like that" AFTER talking about Caylee...she is saying I have a script to follow.....she then realizes how that may sound and adds "which it should be" as an AFTERTHOUGHT!

She was clearly instructed what to say...

I have always been fascinated with this visit. ICA appeared to be very distraught, I think this may have been when all the media/picture deals were taking place. I also believe this is when the "script" was being written, with a few changes, for instance the Blanchard Park story.

chefmom
11-05-2010, 10:37 PM
IMO, the defense trying to silence the media is a joke. Someone needs to file a motion to silence the defense. IF there were ever going to be a successful argument for jury tampering in this case, it would be against the defense. They have plied and played to the media this whole time, and then have the nerve to say that the media is being unfair. GMAB! Until the defense can give one REASONABLE account of why ICA never reported her child missing, lied to LE when they became involved, and let's not forget, to this day she REFUSES to tell the truth about what happened to Caylee, then I don't pay much attention to anything they have to say. They are supposed to be defending a murder case, and all they have done is challenge the FL Sunshine Laws, try to get the judge to change rules at the jail where he has no jurisdiction, and call press conferences.

nums24
11-05-2010, 10:53 PM
IMO, the defense trying to silence the media is a joke. Someone needs to file a motion to silence the defense. IF there were ever going to be a successful argument for jury tampering in this case, it would be against the defense. They have plied and played to the media this whole time, and then have the nerve to say that the media is being unfair. GMAB! Until the defense can give one REASONABLE account of why ICA never reported her child missing, lied to LE when they became involved, and let's not forget, to this day she REFUSES to tell the truth about what happened to Caylee, then I don't pay much attention to anything they have to say. They are supposed to be defending a murder case, and all they have done is challenge the FL Sunshine Laws, try to get the judge to change rules at the jail where he has no jurisdiction, and call press conferences.

The thank you button was not enough!

Numbers
11-05-2010, 11:17 PM

And make appearances on national TV.

Baez would be disappointed if you overlook his cameos.

The World According
11-06-2010, 03:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWb_ZztZOKM