PDA

View Full Version : CANADA CANADA - Percival Winfield, Ontario, 1910

imamaze
09-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by: dixiepix, moved here for discussion...
Canada - Percival Winfield missing - Ontario - 1910

What about cases dating back further than 1962? My gr grandfather Percival Winfield went missing from Ontario in the winter of 1910. The following summer, apparently a body was found and according to "family legend" it was assumed that was Percival. I really want to find out if my gr grandfather was murdered and if so, how, but... I am 100% green in this, have just joined this forum, and have NO idea where to start. I'd like to first and simply find out if the male body found in the summer of 1911 in Ontario was ever identified. How do I do that????

imamaze
09-15-2010, 10:16 PM
Welcome to Websleuths dixiepix. Hopefully some of our wonderful members here will be able to answer some of your questions.

Ima

Robin Hood
09-16-2010, 12:56 AM
I'm new here too so I'm probably not the best to advise but firstly if I were you I would check the Latter day saints websites for birth, death, marriages. Build a picture from there. Get some background info from newspaper reports at the time and see if the body found was identified. More clues might present themselves as you progress.

PFF
09-24-2010, 07:45 AM
Placed query at Genforum for Ontario Canada:
http://genforum.genealogy.com/cgi-genforum/forums/canada/ontario.cgi

Note-must register to place or answear queries

This is my 280th message on this board

:twocents::truce::Bicicleta::back:

Kat
09-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Do we have a link to the OP? So she/he can find our discussion? TIA.

Since it has been almost 90 years. I would approach this in a genealogical fashion.

1. Figure out which newspapers were published in that area of Ontario the year your GGF went missing and the year that the remains were found.

2. You may be able to access archives of that newspaper in the public library or you can contact the newspapers archival department and request a search for specific dates and pay a fee for that and the printed materials from microfilm.

3. Once you have a details on the remains found, then you will have to contact the LE entity that was handling the investigation of the remains that were found, and see if they IDed that person. (This will not be easy, you will have to be diligent, and they may not have records still)

4. Also, you can contact the LE entity that handled your missing GGF's case and see if they still have a file for him. You can request to have that information, through the appropriate channels---which I'm not sure how that is done in Canada?

Good luck and keep us informed on your progress.

PFF
10-05-2010, 02:25 PM
According to LDS record:
Percival Winfield was age 29 in 1881 Census of Ontario Canada {Birthdate 1852} Farmer/Married/ethnic English-member of Methodist CAnada. Was a resident of Georgina, York North Ontario

Other LDs records show he was born Nov 22, 1849 Georgina Twp, york Ontario Son of George and Catherine Winfield; that he was married on OCtober 26, 1875 at Mount Albert, east Gwillimbury Township York Ontario Sophia Mathilda McKelvey-Rosson {b. May 7, 1859 Scott Twp Ontario-d. Aug 15, 1950 Surrey British Columbia}

dixiepix
09-12-2011, 03:30 PM
You know, I honestly didn't really think I'd get a reply at all, and I've been away from my research for so long, I'd even forgotten about this post. I decided to do a search of Percival Winfield on-line, just to see what came up, and THIS website came up, reminding me of the post! Thank you all so much for replying and giving me ideas, and leads. Sophia McKelvey was indeed my gr-grandmother - I remember my Dad talking about Grandma Sohpia, and we have her particulars, so that's definitely the Percival I'm looking for.

Thank you all again - wish me luck!

Dixie

KarlK
11-20-2011, 09:54 PM
There must be a Coroner report on file about the body that was found. Here in Maine that would be found in county archives but I'm not sure which level of government handles this in Canada, I would guess province or judicial district.