PDA

View Full Version : IN - Police: Ind. kids died after 10 hours in closet

Belinda
09-21-2010, 02:15 PM
By RICK CALLAHAN

INDIANAPOLIS - Police say the mother of two children found dead in an Indianapolis apartment told them she found them dead more than 10 hours after she locked them and three siblings inside a closet so she could visit a neighbor.

snip

The report says Farah placed a bed in front of the closet door so her children couldn't get out and found two of them dead about 10 1/2 hours later.

She was charged Monday with two preliminary counts of neglect of a dependent in the deaths of her 5-year-old daughter and 3-year-old son.

http://headlines.verizon.com/headlines/portals/headlines.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=headlines_portal_page_us_article&_article=3089437&_ref=articlePage

believe09
09-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Ummm...something isnt ringing quite true here unless the closet was so well sealed they ran out of air...

believe09
09-21-2010, 02:25 PM
OK-just read the link. How completely and utterly terrified those children must have been. How hungry, and tired and thirsty. The survivors...I cant even think about them. Not without going crazy.

What do you suppose her drug of choice is?? Just guessin that this might have been a motivator...

Velouria
09-21-2010, 02:29 PM
She was "visiting a neighbor" for TEN hours?

Is "neighbor" some sort of new slang for a drug supplier?

myzzy
09-21-2010, 02:38 PM
What was she thinking? I have to agree I bet drugs played a part in it. Those poor children must have been terrified. Rip in little ones

Police said the siblings appeared malnourished and neighbors said they had noticed that the children appeared unusually thin.

An autopsy performed Monday did not show how the boy and girl died. Coroner's office manager Marchele Hall said Tuesday that toxicology results that could reveal that would take three to four weeks.

http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/ap/child%20deaths%20indianapolis-1938218028_v2.grid-4x2.jpg

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39291879/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

Angel4u2Whisper2
09-21-2010, 02:47 PM
Ummm...something isnt ringing quite true here unless the closet was so well sealed they ran out of air...

Could they run out of air if they were sharing it? The article stated that she locked 5 children in the closet, 2 of them whom died. How terriable. So totally not true about "visiting" a neighbor for 10 hours unless love or drugs, or heck maybe both..the love of drugs was involved.

I pray for healing for the remaining 3 children and RIP the little ones that didn't make it out of the closet alive. So very tragic!

pugglesworth
09-21-2010, 02:48 PM
Something about her face....FAS? Something tells me that she's not the first generation to massively eff up parenting in her family. :(

Krisy
09-21-2010, 02:58 PM
maybe those little ones got too much benadryl or whatever to help them sleep.

Poor babies!

reen
09-21-2010, 03:03 PM
I did not see any other threads about this gruesome story in Indianapolis. Mother runs off to party, locking her 5 children in an 18-inch-deep, 6-foot-long closet for (she claims...I doubt it) 10 hours. When she returns, two are dead, possibly from asphyxiation. All of them were malnourished. A surviving sibling says she's done this before.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/25101122/detail.html

I can't even begin to find the words. Certainly nothing appropriate for this forum. The siblings watching their little brother and sister die, and being absolutely unable to do a thing about it. My heart is ripped in two for them.

Belinda
09-21-2010, 03:04 PM
It said there were 5 kids in a closet that was 6 feet wide and 18 inches deep. Is it possible that they suffocated? I guess it depends on how tightly the door closed.

Belinda
09-21-2010, 03:05 PM
There is another thread.

believe09
09-21-2010, 04:50 PM
OK-this is like a regular closet-so there must have been a space under the door even with carpeting, unless there was a draft blocker or something else she put into the space.

I cant think about this anymore. It is completely unfair that these babies had this kind of a start in life. I am starting to believe in capital punishment for crimes against children that result in maiming or death. And I am not typically a capital punishment kind of woman....

JoeFromLB
09-21-2010, 04:59 PM
She's been charged only with "neglect of a dependent" ??

Something's not right here! There are two dead children!

passionflower
09-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Were the children so afraid that they kicked and screamed and hurt each other plus using to much oxygen up???
It would be like buried alive...........5 kids in a space 6' by 18 in. on the floor!
What else was in the closet clothes? boxes?

believe09
09-21-2010, 05:08 PM
These are preliminary charges-there will be more coming when the tox comes back I bet.

oh_gal
09-21-2010, 05:11 PM
What was she thinking? I have to agree I bet drugs played a part in it. Those poor children must have been terrified. Rip in little ones

http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/ap/child%20deaths%20indianapolis-1938218028_v2.grid-4x2.jpg

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39291879/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

Bet she didn't look that "sad" while she was partying, or whatever she was doing for 10 1/2 hours....

believe09
09-21-2010, 05:12 PM
positional asphyxiation. ETA: They were on the bottom of the pile at some point. OMG

According to this article:
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/25101122/detail.html

Survivors said she had done it before AND the little ones were in full rigor when recovered by police.

Words fail.

LadyL
09-21-2010, 05:22 PM
omg

this is murder even without the tox results

she knew or should've known that those children could die IMO

RoseWhite
09-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Awful. Just nightmarishly awful.

believe09
09-22-2010, 10:15 AM
"Farah, an immigrant from Somalia, found her 5-year-old daughter, Zuhur, and 3-year-old son, Zakariya, "stiff and unresponsive" when she returned home about 10 1/2 hours later and opened the closet, the report said. She told officers she then carried them downstairs, but did not call 911 or try to revive them, according to the report.
Lt. said the three surviving children — a 7-year-old girl and boys ages 5 and 1 — are now in foster care"

7, twin 5 year olds, a 3 year old and a one year old. Anyone else think there is going to PPS defense happening here?

Her husband went to Somalia to visit his family, but is on his way back. It was the friend she visited who set in motion the chain of events leading to the discovery of the bodies and the other children. Good for her.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100922/ap_on_re_us/us_child_deaths_indianapolis

For those of you confused at the charges, the DA's office is asking for 72 hours to prepare other ones...

SunnieRN
09-22-2010, 10:46 AM
The fact that these children didn't have to die, tells me that 'neglect of a dependent' is a hogwash charge. This is out and out murder!

May these babies TWA! I hope the children that survived get counseling and support for being the ones that survived. If it is determined these children were killed by being stepped on or smothered I can't imagine how they could live with that when they are older. It is just too hard to think about this case and these poor babies.

Filly
09-22-2010, 07:04 PM
Something about her face....FAS? Something tells me that she's not the first generation to massively eff up parenting in her family. :(

Well she's only been in this country for ten years. I doubt her mother was an alcoholic.

Wounded, scarred and out her mind most definately. She probably had to go through the camps. Somalia and their civil war would have a massive effect on people that lived through that.

No, no, nooooooooooo way am I excusing her. Not at all as there are many refugees that come to this country and prosper and care for their children. However, she has the three whites. The upside down eyes. Guaranteed she's out there. I don't smell a PPS defense. More a PTSD defense.

Reading this made me not be able to breathe. What a horrible, inhumane, torturous way to die. The surviving kids being locked in the closet with their deceased siblings? How do you ever overcome that?

Here's a question. People know she has five kids. They know her husband went back home. Where did she say these kids were?

No doubt she was PO'd the hubby went home and left her with five kids under the age of what? Seven?

believe09
09-22-2010, 07:29 PM
I jumped to conclusions on the drugs...it may ultimately lead there but I had no right. I agree with Filly that the background of Somalia may impact this case-but right or wrong is pretty clear here. Unless she thought she was hiding them from rebels...which I doubt. She went next door and hung out for a really long time. I am certain the friend was plugged in to her mood-I am even more certain there was a reason the friend followed up on what happened after Farah left...

Lovejac
09-22-2010, 07:49 PM
I feel like I got punched in the stomach after reading this awful story!

Those poor, poor souls. The deceased babies AND their siblings. How in Gods name will they EVER recover from being locked in that tiny closet with their dead brother and sister.

I'm praying, praying, praying

Missizzy
09-22-2010, 10:16 PM
I also doubt FAS given the history we've been told. However, I was trained to look for dysmorphia and it's hard to miss with this mom's mug shot. I don't know if she suffered from malnutrition or some sort of substance exposure but she certainly has all the markers. How I wish the reproductive organs failed when there was this level of disability.

Fly free little ones.

Paintr
09-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Those poor children. I am afraid that momma gets little sympathy from me. Maybe the charges will be upgraded.

Paintr
09-23-2010, 01:15 PM
http://sify.com/news/two-us-kids-die-after-mother-locks-them-in-cupboard-for-ten-hours-news-international-kjxq4ggihcf.html

Lieutenant Jeff Duhamell said that the three surviving children are now in foster care.

"It's just a very, very sad case," The Daily Mail quoted Duhamell, as saying.

"It's one of the worst ones I've seen - to be placed in a closet approximately 18in by 6ft and a bed pushed up against it for a minimum of ten hours. We think possibly a lot longer and probably not for the first time," he added.

Farah is due to appear in court on Thursday.

Paintr
09-23-2010, 01:19 PM
'We think possibly a lot longer and probably not for the first time,'

Those poor children. May they find peace. And hopefully the remaining 3 will find a better home.

Belinda
09-23-2010, 01:23 PM
I suspect they will be handed over to the father when he returns to the country. My understanding is he was in Somalia visiting family and is on his way back. I hope they try to discern whether this was ever done while he was home and whether he was part of the neglect of these children before handing them over.

Paintr
09-23-2010, 03:36 PM
http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-mother-of-dead-children-in-court-092210,0,612947.story

Farah's lawyers, Jackie Butler, Mark King, and DawnMarie White issued the following statement on her behalf Wednesday:

Ebyan Farah will have no public comment in this matter, except to say she is devastated by her children's tragic deaths. She will avail herself of the criminal justice system.

Ebyan Farah hopes the media will be sensitive to the Somali community's sense of privacy and will not intrude in an effort to provide sensationalism in a manner that will ensure Ebyan Farah cannot receive a fair trial, not only in Marion County, but in the state of Indiana.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Paintr
09-23-2010, 03:44 PM
According to the above article, everyone wants privacy. Her family issued a statement....The family of Ebyan Farah is devasted and shocked by this tragedy. Ebyan Farah's husband, uncles, friends, and the community at large would like the media to respect their privacy.

The husband who is trying to get custody of the 3 children says, through his lawyer...The family of Bursan Hassan respectfully requests its privacy be respected during this difficult time of grieving and loss. We decline any additional comment. Prayers for all family members are appreciated. Thank you

Ebyan Farah lawyer's are demanding privacy.

So, with all this 'mind your own business' going around, who fights for these two little lost babies?

tlcya
09-23-2010, 03:55 PM
I am so so sorry little ones. I am bawling right now sitting here at work. I pray no-one comes in til I can compose myself.

It is just so evil and wrong that innocents could be born to such monstrous soulless people.

I am sorry. I know this post is wishy washy but I mean for the love of all that is right and holy - what the h*ll do these mothers think having children when all they do is treat them like trash?!

I am taking a minute to go wash my face - ya'll are just gonna have to keep on top of this one for me, I don't think I have the stomach for it right now.

Paintr
09-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Her lawyers seem to have already moved into 'protect the perp' mode. Can't get a fair trial has already reared it's head. The race of a whole community was brought forth. She is a victim was illustrated with the use of words like 'devastated' and 'tragedy'. Even the media sensationalism was mentioned. Damage control at it's finest! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

These guys are right on top of this case. Ms Farah is well representated. Who speaks for the babies?

Donjeta
09-23-2010, 04:20 PM
Oh that's horrible.

Farah's husband, Bursan Hassan, is currently trying to gain custody of the three remaining children. On Wednesday his lawyer said Hassan was grieving for both his children and his wife.

Did he know that his wife used to lock their children in a closet? If not, why not? They're old enough to tell. If yes, what did he do about it?

Paintr
09-23-2010, 04:52 PM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hzBWcQ0htNFySpneNQTe6iakP_hQD9IDR76G1

A 7-year-old Indianapolis girl told investigators she and her siblings usually slept when barricaded in an apartment closet by their mother, but last weekend she called out for the woman to open the door after realizing her brother and sister had died, according to court documents released Thursday.

Ebyan Farah, 28, is charged with eight counts of neglect and confinement. A Marion County judge entered a preliminary not guily plea on her behalf during a brief Thursday hearing, during which Farah hung her head and looked down at the floor.

Defense attorneys requested a gag order for the case and private autopsies for Farah's 4-year-old daughter, Zuhur Farah Hassan, and 3-year-old son, Zakariya Farah Hassan.

Paintr
09-23-2010, 04:54 PM
http://www.wthr.com/story/13204662/mother-pleads-not-guilty-in-childrens-deaths

Indianapolis - The mother accused of neglect for locking her five children in a bedroom closet pleaded not guilty Thursday. Two of those children died.

Dozens of members of the local Somali community were in court to hear about the eight felony charges that have been filed against 28-year-old Ebyan Farah in connection to the deaths of two of her children, ages 3 and 4. Charges include criminal confinement and neglect resulting in death.

Paintr
09-23-2010, 04:57 PM
http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-mother-of-dead-children-charges-092310,0,1194721.story

If convicted, Farah could spend between 20 to 152 years in prison.

Paintr
09-23-2010, 05:02 PM
http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/local/marion_county/mom-accused-of-starving-children-slapped-with-new-charges

Farah told police she returned home around 4:20 p.m. to find 3-year-old Zakariya and 4-year-old Zuhar collapsed in the closet, not breathing. IMPD Sgt. Paul Thompson says it's possible the children collapsed from exhaustion, and were no longer able to breathe normally through their lungs.

The Coroner's office has not released an official cause of death for the two children. Farah's attorneys filed a motion to conduct an independent private autopsy on the children's bodies. Judge Kroh has not ruled on that motion yet.

"I understand their request for it. I don't think it's going to be meaningful. We've charged the defendant with neglect. So, whether the cause of death was asphyxiation or some other cause, it's not going to affect the outcome of the neglect charge. We did not charge murder because this was not an intentional killing," said Marion County Chief Deputy Prosecutor David Wyser after court adjourned.

Farah remains in the Marion County Jail on a $200,000 bond. She is scheduled to appear in court again on Monday morning for a hearing on a motion filed by her attorneys to reduce her bond amount.

Paintr
09-23-2010, 05:06 PM
http://media2.wishtv.com/_local/pdf/farah-charging-docs.pdf

charging document

Her lawyers have requested a gag order. The judge has not yet ruled on that.

Angels_Not_Forgotten
09-23-2010, 05:57 PM
Sweet mother of...not intentional? she INTENTIONALLY ignored her children, INTENTIONALLY put them in harms way. What exactly did she think would happen?? she would win the lotto for it?? it was intentional. this is so sick. i can't look at this thread a moment longer, but wanted to say RIP babies :(

believe09
09-23-2010, 06:04 PM
Huh-not intentional? Well, what did she think could happen? What if there was a fire or she was hit by a bus on the way back? She pretty much guaranteed someone would get hurt, at the minimum. All of them were in danger of death. Are you telling me that it is simple neglect to leave your children locked in a closet with no food, water, no ability to use the bathroom for what was a minimum of 10 hours?

If she was devestated, she would have pled guilty imvho. If she thought she was responsible. And because the Somali community is closed, there should be no press? head shakin...

Paintr
09-23-2010, 06:14 PM
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/25128552/detail.html

Authorities said Farah's youngest child, age 2, was not put in the closet, as had been previously reported.

snip...

Prosecutors said that girl told a child advocate that it was hot in the closet and that she had difficulty breathing.

Authorities are awaiting a toxicology report, but said they think the victims died of positional asphyxiation, with high temperature in the closet and malnutrition as contributing factors.

snip....

The probable cause affidavit indicated that Farah told investigators that she feared her children could die because they had not eaten enough.

Family and friends from the Somali community were in court to show support for Farah.

"We are supporting her, but we have nothing to say to you," said one man as he left court.

believe09
09-23-2010, 06:18 PM
The affidavit is very tough to read. No food, no water, limited ventilation and the heat. One of the youngest was NOT in the closet according to the oldest-he was what, left in the apartment to fend for himself while his mother went shopping and hung out with her friend? Why couldnt she have done that with all of them? It is still bad, but at least they would be alive.

The first reports I read indicated that they might not have been malnourished but the uncle stated in the affidavit that he begged her to eat and to feed them better.

Those of you who said she is going for PTSD defense of some kind are so right.

Paintr
09-23-2010, 10:20 PM
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/25112463/detail.html

Neighbors: There Were Warning Signs Before Childrens' Deaths

"They always asked for help," said Jan Kline, who often visits her relatives next door. "My mom and I was going to the grocery the other day and one of the little girls walked up to us and grabbed a hold of my hand. I said, 'Now honey, you need to go on back home."

CPS and other neighbors said it's common for people to miss or ignore signs of trouble because they don't want to get involved.

"I think people are too scared to get in other people's business, but sometimes it's best that you do," said neighbor Kayla Mullins, who helped set up a small memorial outside the home and said it was the least she could after such a tragedy.

CPS can't do anything if no one comes forward, and sometimes a bad situation ends in the worst of circumstances.

Paintr
09-23-2010, 10:23 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20100921/LOCAL1801/9210338/Police-2-dead-children-were-extremely-thin?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CIndyStar.com

Kline, 45, whose mother lives next door, said the children were often outdoors even in the recent extreme heat, and that they'd be "beating and kicking at the door," trying to get inside.

The yard, on the apartment's west side, offers no shade from the afternoon sun. Kline's 13-year-old son, Shawn, recalled tossing the children a water bottle and them passing it around and drinking eagerly.
The Klines did not alert authorities -- "we didn't know who to call," said Janice Kline.

jnTexas
09-23-2010, 11:43 PM
OMG...so many people failed these children...why o why did she lock them in a closet...though i don't understand leaving them alone at all. leaving them alone in the apartment would've been better than the closet.
My heart aches for the oldest sibling. she will never forget that day ever. I really hope the Dad doesn't get custody. He obviousy left them there with nothing while he visited family and friends.

O and she should be charged with murder. If I lived in that town I would protest outside the court and jail..

Paintr
09-24-2010, 08:08 AM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20100924/NEWS02/9240364/Initial-autopsy-yields-likely-causes-of-death-for-2-kids?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CIndyStar.com

Two children locked in a closet for 10 hours at their Southwestside home likely died of a combination of suffocation, heat and malnutrition, court documents say.

snip...

Daniels said the children weighed 25 percent less than normal for their ages and heights, and police said the temperature in the closet was 78 degrees nine hours after the bodies were removed.

snip...

Kroh also issued an order that prohibits Farah from contacting her uncle and two friends, who are now the state's witnesses. He set dates of Oct. 20 for a pretrial conference and Nov. 29 for trial.

Paintr
09-24-2010, 08:13 AM
http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100924/NEWS/9240321

A 7-year-old Indianapolis girl told investigators she and her siblings usually slept when barricaded in an apartment closet by their mother, but last weekend she called out for the woman to open the door after realizing her brother and sister had died, according to court documents released Thursday.

snip...

Authorities have said Farah told police she “was not in her right mind” when she allegedly placed her children in a 6-foot by 1 1/2 -foot upstairs closet at Manchester Village Apartments about 6 a.m. Sunday. Court documents say Farah put a bed frame or mattress against the closet door to keep the children from leaving while she went to visit a friend for the day.

Seven-year-old Muntaaz Farah Hassan told investigators her mother often put children in the closet as punishment or when she needed to cook, according to a police affidavit. The girl said she sometimes helped her mother get the children in the closet when they got into trouble.

believe09
09-24-2010, 08:40 AM
This poor girl. Just imagine when she can actually process this. I hate this story. And I think there was something very, very wrong with mom. She needed help and she was clearly unbearably overwhelmed.

tlcya
09-24-2010, 10:55 AM
I am going to have to find a way to link if this info that was reoprted on NG (with Rita sitting in) is correct. It was stated in their coverage last night that the "mother"'s daughter told police that it was common for she and her siblings to be locked in the closet for bad behavior or just if "mother" didn't want the kids underfoot while she "cooked".

If this is truly what the little girl has stated to LE coupled with the fact that this woman went to visit a friend FOR TEN HOURS OR MORE while her children were locked in that closet -

Who wants to make a guess as to what sort of "cooking" this "mother" was getting up to?

IMOO crack.

Kat
09-24-2010, 04:05 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20100921/LOCAL1801/9210338/Police-2-dead-children-were-extremely-thin?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CIndyStar.com

Kline, 45, whose mother lives next door, said the children were often outdoors even in the recent extreme heat, and that they'd be "beating and kicking at the door," trying to get inside.

The yard, on the apartment's west side, offers no shade from the afternoon sun. Kline's 13-year-old son, Shawn, recalled tossing the children a water bottle and them passing it around and drinking eagerly.
The Klines did not alert authorities -- "we didn't know who to call," said Janice Kline.

Just a quick comment. Shame on you, I hope you read this.

Don't know who to call?

Call 911 each and every single time you see a child endangered. Period.

This particular situation with these children has me so furious I can't even begin to address what I'm thinking about the Mom. So please excuse me for that.

Grrr.

Melanie
09-24-2010, 04:10 PM
She was "visiting a neighbor" for TEN hours?

Is "neighbor" some sort of new slang for a drug supplier?

And who goes off to a neighbors house at 6AM and stays for 10 hours. If a neighbor did that to me, they would be kicked to the curb. Neighbor-sneighbor, it must have been a dealer or boyfriend. She's lying thru her teeth.

Those poor babies :(

Mel

ETA: if a neighbor came to my house at 6:00 in the morning, I wouldn't even open the door (unless she was bleeding, or her house was burning down). Don't ya bug me until at least noon! ;)

Melanie
09-24-2010, 04:15 PM
http://media2.wishtv.com/_local/pdf/farah-charging-docs.pdf

charging document

Her lawyers have requested a gag order. The judge has not yet ruled on that.

She doesn't deserve a gag order. She's nothing more than a child killer, abusive mother, and Lord knows what else. Who does she think she is - Lindsey Lohan? Even she has press on her 24/7. I say the more you ask for privacy, the more invasive the public should get. Wht is she hiding?

MOO

Mel

Filly
09-24-2010, 04:22 PM
I jumped to conclusions on the drugs...it may ultimately lead there but I had no right. I agree with Filly that the background of Somalia may impact this case-but right or wrong is pretty clear here. Unless she thought she was hiding them from rebels...which I doubt. She went next door and hung out for a really long time. I am certain the friend was plugged in to her mood-I am even more certain there was a reason the friend followed up on what happened after Farah left...

Believe, I wouldn't say you were wrong or jumping to conclusions. How many times have we read here about something similar and it was drugs? I just put in my two cents about the civil war as I can see that playing a part in somebody losing their dang mind.

However, now we hear the kids are malnourished. Mom didn't eat either. Ummmmmmmm, and what she was on a diet? Did dad eat? Where did the food money go or the food stamps if they had any?

Mom put the kids in the closet while she cooked. I think tlcox is on to something there.

Dad split for back home. This is nothing new according to the surviving children so I would think the father knew these kids were locked out, locked in, barricaded, needed to be tossed a bottle of water out to the yard by a neighbor.

Privacy? If this woman was gone those entire 10 hours and was only next door at the neighbors I mean wouldn't the neighbor say "Where in God's green earth are your kids, lady?" That's a long, long time to leave your kids no matter what.

This is just my own thoughts, but the Somalian community are mad. They want privacy. I'd have to ask them then if it's common for all of them to lock their kids in closets or lock them outside in the heat for hours on end.It's understandable they would want to support eachother so far from home and all, but come on. Privacy, and ignorance just may have gotten those children where they ended up.

Still thinking the mom was mad the dad went back home to visit. Still wondering what you do for ten hours at the neighbors? Have coffee? Did she have a coffee cake too while she was there?

tlcya
09-24-2010, 04:55 PM
again on the NG show (Rita Crosby was covering again) it was stated that prior to the dad returning to Somalia neighbors claim he was the one that purchased groceries, and cared for the kids. And that the neighbors have been concerned since he left as that is when they noticed the kids seemed malnourish and woefully undersupervised.

Again, I heard this info on NG show and I don't find that show the most credible source so take from it what you will.

Paintr
09-24-2010, 05:31 PM
I wonder if the judge issued the gag order requested by the defense. Haven't seen any news updates on this today.

wasnt_me
09-24-2010, 06:14 PM
I just don't know what to say about this. I guess the door were those folding closet doors and the kids couldn't push the bed off them. You know what I mean? Some long closets have two double doors that push forward as they fold to the sides, opening the closet.

I just don't know what to say. I'm trying to imagine how rambuncious kids can be that this is the answer. What kind of punishment is it, if you do it all the time. I'm sure they weren't in need of "punishment" at 6am. Oh, goodness, I'm getting upset about this.

Paintr
09-24-2010, 06:19 PM
I just don't know what to say about this. I guess the door were those folding closet doors and the kids couldn't push the bed off them. You know what I mean? Some long closets have two double doors that push forward as they fold to the sides, opening the closet.

I just don't know what to say. I'm trying to imagine how rambuncious kids can be that this is the answer. What kind of punishment is it, if you do it all the time. I'm sure they weren't in need of "punishment" at 6am. Oh, goodness, I'm getting upset about this.

O/T wasnt me, I love the pups in your avatar. :)

tiredofthis
09-24-2010, 06:24 PM
By RICK CALLAHAN

INDIANAPOLIS - Police say the mother of two children found dead in an Indianapolis apartment told them she found them dead more than 10 hours after she locked them and three siblings inside a closet so she could visit a neighbor.

snip

The report says Farah placed a bed in front of the closet door so her children couldn't get out and found two of them dead about 10 1/2 hours later.

She was charged Monday with two preliminary counts of neglect of a dependent in the deaths of her 5-year-old daughter and 3-year-old son.

http://headlines.verizon.com/headlines/portals/headlines.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=headlines_portal_page_us_article&_article=3089437&_ref=articlePage

This happened close to where I live. How tragic!

tiredofthis
09-24-2010, 06:30 PM

He didn't know who to call? Call 911!! Unbelievable.

KR2tonenow
09-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Awful. Just nightmarishly awful.

I'm with you-just sick!

sorrell skye
09-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Here's what confuses me:

Did the thought not cross the mind of this *mother* that 10+ hours locked in a tiny closet might be not only extremely abusive but downright dangerous? Didn't this neighbor friend wonder where the children were (and who might be supervising them) during the 10+ hours?

My feeling is that it was probably a common occurrence for the *mother* to leave the children unattended while she hung out @ her neighbor's.

I certainly hope LE is investigating what exactly this so-called mother & her neighbor were doing from 6 a.m. til 4:20 p.m.

Maybe they were *cooking*.

This tragedy makes me angry & ill.

IMO, this a clear case of extreme neglect & child endangerment, and inexcusable child abuse.

As far as I'm concerned, she should be charged with negligent homicide.

ETA: Just because a person can breed, doesn't mean they're qualified to be a parent.

I feel so sad for those children.

craftybatchy
09-24-2010, 09:44 PM
This is an unspeakable tragedy. Completely and totally preventable. The neighbors who claimed *not to know who to call* should be charged with criminal negligence. These children should not have died. This family clearly needed intervention for quite some time prior to these deaths.

Lovejac
09-24-2010, 09:48 PM
He didn't know who to call? Call 911!! Unbelievable.

Or let them come into your home!!! :furious:

KeenEyes
09-24-2010, 10:09 PM
According to the above article, everyone wants privacy. Her family issued a statement....The family of Ebyan Farah is devasted and shocked by this tragedy. Ebyan Farah's husband, uncles, friends, and the community at large would like the media to respect their privacy.

The husband who is trying to get custody of the 3 children says, through his lawyer...The family of Bursan Hassan respectfully requests its privacy be respected during this difficult time of grieving and loss. We decline any additional comment. Prayers for all family members are appreciated. Thank you

So, with all this 'mind your own business' going around, who fights for these two little lost babies?

ITA! Incredible how their entire "village"* failed these children. Those who are in such great need of privacy should find a closet somewhere, secure the door with a bed, and spend the day there.

*ETA: Village as in "it takes a village."

Paintr
09-24-2010, 10:10 PM
http://x1news.com/news-search-Ebyan-Farah.html

a collection of articles on this case...

craftybatchy
09-24-2010, 10:32 PM

Respectfully snipped and bbm.

I would like a new house for Christmas. I doubt I will get one.

Your comments are not necessary. In this case, it appears that the remains of two dead babies will speak for your Community
. The Community who insists that their privacy be respected must remember that in the US (and Canada), the suspicious deaths of two children trump privacy - regardless of which village you come from.

sorrell skye
09-24-2010, 10:51 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/09/22/national/main6891045.shtml

Authorities were called to the two-story apartment at Manchester Village Apartments about four hours after Farah said she returned and found the two bodies.

The report said a family friend had grown concerned that Farah was "acting strangely" and would not allow anyone into the apartment for hours after she returned.

The report said the wife of that friend - the woman Farah had visited with - called Farah's uncle to the complex and that when the uncle looked into an open door in the apartment he saw what appeared to be a dead child on a couch.

When that man tried to call the emergency dispatcher, Farah allegedly grabbed his phone and threw it. He retrieved the phone and held Farah while the family friend called for assistance, the report said.

Too bad this *friend* didn't bother to wonder about the well-being of the children for 10+ hours while Farah was doing whatever it was she was doing while visiting her friend at her apartment.

Oh - but they want their *privacy*.

Privacy is one thing. Secrecy is another.

ETA: IMO, secrecy (under the guise of privacy) is one of the factors that led to this tragedy while everyone just seemed to watch it unfold, claiming "I didn't know who to call."

I bet they want their *privacy*.

Who knows what else authorities might discover if they start digging. I hope they do.

Paintr
09-24-2010, 11:45 PM
Unfortunately, I think there will be very little news on this story. Her lawyers were right on top of this case and warned the press against sensationalism. They requested a gag order and the community has closed ranks.

If there was no money for food, how does this woman afford such efficient lawyers. In the legal world 'good' usually equals 'expensive' and Ms Faher has 3 good lawyers. :waitasec:

believe09
09-25-2010, 08:18 AM
This case reminds me quite a bit of the gang rape case in AZ where the perps,west Africans?, oldest 14 youngest around 9 or so IIRC, lured an 8 year old with some gum and went to town on her. Her parents made statements to the media that she was complicit in the crime and that they were ashamed of her. The community asked for privacy. All of the participants had come from camps before they made it here. The girl was returned to her family but then taken away when she was beaten.

The community felt they were being culturally descriminated against-Until the president of the country they immigrated from made a statement condeming the crime in no uncertain terms.

We have to integrate these communities-BUT they have to be willing to be integrated. I get that their countries are war torn and in chaos. But look at the price these kids are paying-just one death or destructive act is too much.

Paintr
09-25-2010, 01:19 PM
This article was posted Sept 22...

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/25115052/detail.html

Indianapolis police Lt. Jeff Duhamell said the circumstances of the case were the worst he had seen in 28 years of police work.

"The bottom line is, animals are treated better than that," he said.

snip...

But the neighbor said he became worried when Ebyan Farah's husband, Burhan Hassan, left about a month ago to visit their home country of Somalia, leaving his wife to care for the five children by herself.

"She had her hands full, she really did," he said. "I wish she would have asked anybody (for help). I wish she would have asked me."

I could find no new articles for the past 24 hours. Is anyone local hearing if the gag order has been granted?

Lovejac
09-26-2010, 12:33 AM

This quote from that article has been haunting me all day. It hurts my heart so much.

mikeysmommom
09-26-2010, 02:57 AM
ITA! Incredible how their entire "village"* failed these children. Those who are in such great need of privacy should find a closet somewhere, secure the door with a bed, and spend the day there.

*ETA: Village as in "it takes a village."

Believe, I wouldn't say you were wrong or jumping to conclusions. How many times have we read here about something similar and it was drugs? I just put in my two cents about the civil war as I can see that playing a part in somebody losing their dang mind.

However, now we hear the kids are malnourished. Mom didn't eat either. Ummmmmmmm, and what she was on a diet? Did dad eat? Where did the food money go or the food stamps if they had any?

Mom put the kids in the closet while she cooked. I think tlcox is on to something there.

Dad split for back home. This is nothing new according to the surviving children so I would think the father knew these kids were locked out, locked in, barricaded, needed to be tossed a bottle of water out to the yard by a neighbor.

Privacy? If this woman was gone those entire 10 hours and was only next door at the neighbors I mean wouldn't the neighbor say "Where in God's green earth are your kids, lady?" That's a long, long time to leave your kids no matter what.

This is just my own thoughts, but the Somalian community are mad. They want privacy. I'd have to ask them then if it's common for all of them to lock their kids in closets or lock them outside in the heat for hours on end.It's understandable they would want to support eachother so far from home and all, but come on. Privacy, and ignorance just may have gotten those children where they ended up.

Still thinking the mom was mad the dad went back home to visit. Still wondering what you do for ten hours at the neighbors? Have coffee? Did she have a coffee cake too while she was there?

Somalian community they live in might want their privacy but too darn bad! They live here in the USA, we do not just sweep horror stories like this under the rug.If they do not like it they can all go back to their own country. I for 1 do not want people who would ignore abused children in my neighborhood.I might not be politically correct but it is how I feel.

Trident
09-26-2010, 06:40 AM
Somalian community they live in might want their privacy but too darn bad! They live here in the USA, we do not just sweep horror stories like this under the rug.If they do not like it they can all go back to their own country. I for 1 do not want people who would ignore abused children in my neighborhood.I might not be politically correct but it is how I feel.

AMEN! The only privacy this woman should get, in my opinion, is solitary confinement in jail.

Paintr
09-27-2010, 10:38 AM
http://heraldbulletin.com/breakingnews/x1327128647/Calls-to-Indiana-s-child-abuse-hotline-on-increase-after-deaths-of-2-children

Calls to Indiana’s child-abuse hotline on increase after deaths of 2 children

Tragedy spikes the numbers. Calls to the hotline have dramatically increased since Sept. 19, when an Indianapolis mother of five was arrested and charged in the deaths of her 3-year-old son and 4-year-old daughter. Police said she admitted barricading the two children, along two of their siblings, in a 6-foot by 1˝ -foot closet for 10 hours before leaving the home to visit a friend. Investigators said the two children who died were malnourished and likely suffocated.

Paintr
09-27-2010, 10:41 AM
http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100923/EDITORIAL/9230332

As awful as the story is, there is something that makes it even worse. Neighbors said this week that, in hindsight, there were signs of trouble in the family. But no one said anything to anybody, so Child Protective Services didn't know it should intervene. “I know a lot of people are concerned about becoming involved in someone else's business,” said Ann Houseworth of CPS, “but at the end of the day, these are all children. I think it's more important that we stand up and take action on behalf of these children rather than to live with the regret later.”

believe09
09-27-2010, 10:43 AM
http://heraldbulletin.com/breakingnews/x1327128647/Calls-to-Indiana-s-child-abuse-hotline-on-increase-after-deaths-of-2-children

Calls to Indiana’s child-abuse hotline on increase after deaths of 2 children

Tragedy spikes the numbers. Calls to the hotline have dramatically increased since Sept. 19, when an Indianapolis mother of five was arrested and charged in the deaths of her 3-year-old son and 4-year-old daughter. Police said she admitted barricading the two children, along two of their siblings, in a 6-foot by 1˝ -foot closet for 10 hours before leaving the home to visit a friend. Investigators said the two children who died were malnourished and likely suffocated.

I guess this is the silver lining...

Paintr
09-27-2010, 11:44 AM
http://www.google.ca/search?q=ebyan+farah&hl=en&rlz=1T4IBMA_enCA205CA206&prmd=vo&source=univ&tbs=vid:1&tbo=u&ei=D7mgTLHgAc78ngeRmfGdDQ&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=8&ved=0CDQQqwQwBw

videos from Nancy Grace and Farah's Thursday court appearance

Paintr
09-27-2010, 01:00 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20100927/LOCAL18/9270378/Judge-OKs-exams-in-locked-closet-deaths?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CIndyStar.com

Judge OKs exams in locked-closet deaths

A judge today OK'd physical and psychiatric examinations for a 28-year-old Indianapolis woman jailed after two of her children died in a locked closet.

snip...

Judge Lisa Borges granted defense attorneys' request for the exams that would help determine if the Indianapolis woman is competent to stand trial.

Paintr
09-27-2010, 01:10 PM
According to the above article...

The judge delayed ruling on issuing a gag order till Oct 6 but indicated that she was not leaning towards a gag order.

The judge also allowed the defendent to wear her traditional head garment during trial but not the rest of the clothing.

( the hijab does not cover the woman's face. example photo below)

http://peacethought.com/images/hijab.jpg

believe09
09-27-2010, 01:28 PM
Well, she may not be fit to stand trial now, but was she able to reason in the last month or so when she was locking her kids outside with no water in the blazing sun, and in the closet with a bed against the door? And not feeding them? Just wondering.

Belinda
09-27-2010, 01:40 PM
She knew enough not to allow anyone into her apartment after she put the bodies of the children on the couch.

Paintr
09-27-2010, 01:43 PM
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/25179531/detail.html

Judge Orders Psych Exam For Woman Charged In Kids' Deaths
Ebyan Farah Barred From Contacting 3 Surviving Children

Defense attorney Mark King said he asked for the psychological exam and a physical checkup because he's worried that Farah wasn't eating properly before the Sept. 19 deaths and might still not be eating well because her Muslim beliefs could bar her from eating some jail food.

King said the fact that Farah has been separated from her surviving children is "killing her, emotionally and physically."

Belinda
09-27-2010, 01:55 PM
King said the fact that Farah has been separated from her surviving children is "killing her, emotionally and physically."

From Paintr's link. I'm sorry, but spare me the sob story. We are always supposed to feel so sorry for these people after they murder their children. These children were subjected to continuous abuse.

Paintr
09-27-2010, 05:16 PM
http://www.wibc.com/news/Story.aspx?id=1285187

The Indianapolis woman charged in the deaths of two of her children will stand trial November 29.

snip...

Borges will hold a hearing next week on a defense request for a gag order in the case.

Paintr
09-27-2010, 05:18 PM
http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-ebyan-farah-back-in-court-092710,0,660044.story

Judge refuses to lower bond for mother of dead children
An Indianapolis mother accused in the death of two of her children will not be getting out of jail.

Farah is not allowed to attend her children's funerals.

RoseWhite
09-27-2010, 05:19 PM
From Paintr's link. I'm sorry, but spare me the sob story. We are always supposed to feel so sorry for these people after they murder their children. These children were subjected to continuous abuse.

Exactly! "Boohoo! I miss the rest of my children that I didn't manage to kill."

??? Seriously???

believe09
09-27-2010, 08:44 PM
Waiting to see if the next line of defense is her own malnutrition. Which was voluntary, I might add as opposed to her children's.

She has some sharp lawyers and I am wondering how that came about.

Paintr
09-27-2010, 11:30 PM
Waiting to see if the next line of defense is her own malnutrition. Which was voluntary, I might add as opposed to her children's.

She has some sharp lawyers and I am wondering how that came about.

believe...you guessed it....

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/5a9f5e7bb7204347bbe2776b47cc9a3f/IN--Child_Deaths-Indianapolis/

Defense attorney Mark King said he asked Marion Superior Court Judge Lisa Borges to order the exam and grant a physical checkup because Ebyan Farah wasn't eating properly before the Sept. 19 deaths of her 4-year-old daughter, Zuhur Farah Hassan, and 3-year-old son, Zakariya Farah Hassan.

"Based on the fact she's Muslim and what the jail normally feeds, I don't believe she's eating properly while in the jail. I'm very concerned that her chemical imbalances may be off, which will hurt ability to understand what's happening around her," King said.

Lovejac
09-28-2010, 12:11 AM
http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-ebyan-farah-back-in-court-092710,0,660044.story

Judge refuses to lower bond for mother of dead children
An Indianapolis mother accused in the death of two of her children will not be getting out of jail.

Farah is not allowed to attend her children's funerals.

Bolded by me.

Well, Good! I'm GLAD. She didn't "attend" to them during their life, why should she after their death!!! :furious:

sorrell skye
09-28-2010, 04:15 AM
According to the 7 year old daughter's statements to LE, being barricaded in the closet as a punishment, or to keep them from being "underfoot" while the mother was *cooking*, was nothing new.

Farah's claim that she "wasn't in her right mind" on that fateful day holds about as much water as Dear Liza's bucket, as far as I'm concerned. This wasn't an isolated event - it had happened before. Is she going to claim that she wasn't in her right mind all those other times that she locked them in the closet, as well?

The way she treated her children was despicable & inexcusable. It was child abuse - no ifs, ands, or buts.

I'm not buying the "I wasn't in my right mind" defense.

Those little children suffered for 10+ hours while Farah was doing who knows what with who knows who @ the neighbor's apartment.

One thing is certain - she WASN'T tending to her young children & seeing to their well-being.

Another thing that's certain is that 2 of her children died because of her ongoing abuse.

I'll save my pity & sympathy for the helpless little ones who trusted their *mother* to care for them.

ETA: And another thing - she's now allegedly starving herself while incarcerated because the jail food isn't Halal? She's obviously in enough of a right mind to observe religious dietary law (which indicates to me that she has a sense of right & wrong, at least in terms of her upbringing).

Which begs the question: was she not brought up to believe that the neglect & abuse of children is evil, and that to do so might put her mortal soul in as much (if not more) danger, as swallowing food that isn't Halal?

Does she believe that her children (and their treatment) are less sacred than religious dietary law?

IMO, it would appear so, based on her actions.

Paintr
09-28-2010, 08:49 AM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20100928/NEWS02/9280333/Judge-OKs-exams-in-locked-closet-deaths?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CIndyStar.com

More than 20 friends and family members from the local Somali Muslim community, including Farah's husband, attended the hearing.
Also Monday, defense attorneys reiterated their desire for an independent autopsy of the two children. The judge gave them until Thursday, when the children's bodies would be released to family members for burial.

believe09
09-28-2010, 09:15 AM
believe...you guessed it....

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/5a9f5e7bb7204347bbe2776b47cc9a3f/IN--Child_Deaths-Indianapolis/

Defense attorney Mark King said he asked Marion Superior Court Judge Lisa Borges to order the exam and grant a physical checkup because Ebyan Farah wasn't eating properly before the Sept. 19 deaths of her 4-year-old daughter, Zuhur Farah Hassan, and 3-year-old son, Zakariya Farah Hassan.

"Based on the fact she's Muslim and what the jail normally feeds, I don't believe she's eating properly while in the jail. I'm very concerned that her chemical imbalances may be off, which will hurt ability to understand what's happening around her," King said.

How did I know you ask...:innocent:

I think the defense is pulling out the stops-should they be offering her muslim food at the jail in order to ensure a fair trial? I think the points raised above regarding Halal are EXCELLENT and are absolutely indicative of reasoned choices. She also put a bed against the door and decided that one of the children would not be placed inside the closet. There is certainly some reasoning there. And most telling, IMO, is her determination not to let anyone call 911 or let them into the apartment.

How about when she was free before this tragedy when she was (not) choosing to cook for herself and her children? When she was free to exercise food choices more in line with her beliefs? This will be quite a hurdle for the defense, and I also believe they will go for some type of PTSD and chemical imbalance/hormone imbalance issue.

Paintr
09-28-2010, 09:31 AM
How did I know you ask...:innocent:

I think the defense is pulling out the stops-should they be offering her muslim food at the jail in order to ensure a fair trial? I think the points raised above regarding Halal are EXCELLENT and are absolutely indicative of reasoned choices. She also put a bed against the door and decided that one of the children would not be placed inside the closet. There is certainly some reasoning there. And most telling, IMO, is her determination not to let anyone call 911 or let them into the apartment.

How about when she was free before this tragedy when she was (not) choosing to cook for herself and her children? When she was free to exercise food choices more in line with her beliefs? This will be quite a hurdle for the defense, and I also believe they will go for some type of PTSD and chemical imbalance/hormone imbalance issue.

Judging by the way friends, family, and the community has gathered around, she had access to all kinds of support. Help was within reach.

She also has very clever lawyers. They aren't missing any possible mitigating circumstances. I have a feeling that before this trial has ended, Ms Farah will end up being painted as the victim here.

Belinda
09-28-2010, 10:01 AM
I'm rather curious about the halal food in jail. I know there are many muslims in prison, so I would think this is an issue already dealt with. Does anybody know anything about this? Maybe it is handled in the prison system, but not local jails. Also I would think this would be an issue for kosher food as well.

Paintr
09-28-2010, 04:14 PM
Does anyone know if, for the psych exam and medical, Farah will be escorted to the doctors or if the doctors come to the jail?

tlcya
09-28-2010, 04:17 PM

Really? Really? I realize everyone is entitled to a proper defense but is this dude serious? Did he say it with a straight face? Cause that is the definition of unmitigated gall in my book.

Paintr
09-28-2010, 04:30 PM

Really? Really? I realize everyone is entitled to a proper defense but is this dude serious? Did he say it with a straight face? Cause that is the definition of unmitigated gall in my book.

King is trying to make the public see the mother as the victim here.:banghead:

Paintr
09-28-2010, 04:52 PM
http://www.wthr.com/story/13224119/mental-exam-ordered-for-mom-charged-in-deaths-of-two-children

"Obviously, what the police have told us thus far gives us rise to believe that something happened that day and that something happened may involve mental illness on her behalf," said Mark King, defense attorney. King would not say whether or not he thought his client was competent to stand trial. "I don't know that yet. I'm waiting for the psychological exams to come back."

tlcya
09-28-2010, 05:14 PM
King is trying to make the public see the mother as the victim here.:banghead:

I realize it is strategy and tactic but it can still leave an awful taste in my mouth.

The only victims here are her two dead children and all the other children who will be unimiaginably scarred by their experiences both that day locked in teh closet with their dead siblings and countless other days when everyone in the neigbhorhood could see somethign wasn't right but not a soul said so much as a word.

sorrell skye
09-29-2010, 02:57 AM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20100928/NEWS02/9280333/Judge-OKs-exams-in-locked-closet-deaths?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CIndyStar.com

More than 20 friends and family members from the local Somali Muslim community, including Farah's husband, attended the hearing.
Also Monday, defense attorneys reiterated their desire for an independent autopsy of the two children. The judge gave them until Thursday, when the children's bodies would be released to family members for burial.

BBM

I wonder why the defense attorney's are insisting on an independent autopsy of the two children? Do they really believe that another ME will reach a different conclusion than has already been determined? IMO, insisting on an independent autopsy clearly implies that they distrust the results of the official autopsy.

This is ridiculous. It's a fact that Farah barricaded her children in the closet for over 10 hours. It's a fact that two of her children died during the time they were barricaded in the closet - due to the heat and lack of oxygen (not to mention dehydration and malnutrition).

Are Farah's attorneys trying to blame her deceased children's siblings for their deaths?

Belinda
09-29-2010, 03:00 AM
The interesting thing is that the autopsy results really make no difference as she hasn't been charged with murder. So, why is the defense still insisting on it? Odd.

Donjeta
09-29-2010, 03:31 AM
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/25179531/detail.html

This is a completely ridiculous thing for the lawyer to say. Two of her children got killed, for real, because she couldn't bear the sight of them and locked them in a closet. And now she's sorry for herself?

The fact that she killed two of her children isn't killing her emotionally then?

yosande
09-29-2010, 05:34 AM

I pray she spends the rest of her life locked in a jail cell, so she never forgets how it feels to be locked up. Oh the irony of it.

RIP dear babies.
May the other children be protected from that community and recover from this abuse to live as normal a life as possible. Amen

Belinda
09-29-2010, 06:07 AM
I truly hope these children aren't released to the father. Even though he was not present when the fatal event occurred, it is clear this has been done many times and I sincerely doubt he was unaware of it. I'm really worried he will regain custody of the remaining children.

As for the mother, Indiana isn't exactly known for their stiff sentencing, so I have concerns there as well.

Paintr
09-29-2010, 09:47 AM
BBM

I wonder why the defense attorney's are insisting on an independent autopsy of the two children? Do they really believe that another ME will reach a different conclusion than has already been determined? IMO, insisting on an independent autopsy clearly implies that they distrust the results of the official autopsy.

This is ridiculous. It's a fact that Farah barricaded her children in the closet for over 10 hours. It's a fact that two of her children died during the time they were barricaded in the closet - due to the heat and lack of oxygen (not to mention dehydration and malnutrition).

Are Farah's attorneys trying to blame her deceased children's siblings for their deaths?

I got the impression that the defense was interested in the stomach contents rather than the cause of death. The stomach contents would indicate when/if she fed the children before she locked them in. :waitasec:

Paintr
09-29-2010, 09:50 AM
http://www.southbendtribune.com/article/20100929/News01/9290349/1011/News

Belinda
09-29-2010, 09:50 AM
Good point, Paintr. Surely the ME doing the autopsy will examine stomach contents? Isn't that pretty standard procedure?

tlcya
09-29-2010, 09:58 AM
The defense is going to try to go with a "snapped" mental health defense. In order to launch that sort of defense they will need to disprove the allegation that the children suffered from malnutrition and neglect over the long term. So the autopsy by independant examiner is simply a bid to try to disprove the findings of the original ME that the children had suffered from those things.

If you have systematically neglected and starved your children over the long haul, it is a lot more dificult to allege you just "snapped" one day and locked them in a closet because of some mental break.

MOO

Paintr
09-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Good point, Paintr. Surely the ME doing the autopsy will examine stomach contents? Isn't that pretty standard procedure?

Guess defense lawyers want a second opinion...one not associated with Le. LOL! There is a lot of that going around.

Paintr
09-29-2010, 10:03 AM
The defense is going to try to go with a "snapped" mental health defense. In order to launch that sort of defense they will need to disprove the allegation that the children suffered from malnutrition and neglect over the long term. So the autopsy by independant examiner is simply a bid to try to disprove the findings of the original ME that the children had suffered from those things.

If you have systematically neglected and starved your children over the long haul, it is a lot more dificult to allege you just "snapped" one day and locked them in a closet because of some mental break.

MOO

Excellent point, tlcox! I am sure the defense thinks that no one will believe the 7 year old's story of being locked up on a regular basis. Maybe they hope that the child will not be allowed to testify because of their age.

Paintr
09-29-2010, 10:16 AM
Just a thought...I wonder if the judge issued the 'no contact before trial' order so that the mother would not be able to influence the stories of the other 3 children. :waitasec:

Paintr
09-30-2010, 12:57 PM
The judge won't have to bother with a gag order. The press seems to be very reluctant to publish updates on this story. :waitasec:

sorrell skye
09-30-2010, 04:53 PM

MOO

Thx TL - I hadn't thought of that. That makes sense, but I think the defense is grasping at straws by trying to claim a mental breakdown.

I think the fact that the children are in the 25th percentile for their weight is going to work against the *snapped* defense, as well as the 7 year old's statements that they have been locked in the closet other times as punishment, or to keep them from getting underfoot while their mother *cooked*.

Also, the neighbor's statement (the one who gave them a bottle of water) about the children being locked outside on a hot day.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are many more eye-witness accounts of ongoing abuse. I just hope the witnesses are willing to come forward to investigators & are willing to testify.

IMO, the family asked the media to "respect their privacy" to prevent these eye-witness accounts from getting out.

tlcya
09-30-2010, 05:08 PM
I agree sorrell. I also think this means of defense will not fly but if I were in charge of trying to launch a defense agaist the indefensible - who knows what straws I would be willing to grasp.

as to the neighbors and other witnesses I hope they do come forward. I just wish even one of them had done so prior.

Paintr
10-06-2010, 05:05 PM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5ibCKJoU6IHhHBGYCn1TS_kDzIB9g?docId=4757052

A judge has has denied defence attorneys' request for a gag order in the case of a Somali immigrant living in Indianapolis.

snip...

Borges says she was relying on both sides to follow professional rules of conduct when discussing the case with reporters.

Paintr
10-06-2010, 05:07 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20101006/NEWS02/10060373/Judge-denies-gag-order-in-closet-deaths-case?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CIndyStar.com

Farah bonded out of jail Friday.

believe09
10-06-2010, 05:19 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20101006/NEWS02/10060373/Judge-denies-gag-order-in-closet-deaths-case?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CIndyStar.com

Farah bonded out of jail Friday.

Lucky woman. Wonder why they do not consider her a flight risk?

Angels_Not_Forgotten
10-06-2010, 05:55 PM
So they have the money to bail her out but not to feed the kids...wow... Must just be lack of priorities. Or someone believes her innocence and have sent her money. Who knows. It's just plain sad.

yosande
10-06-2010, 06:22 PM
http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/local/marion_county/mom-accused-of-starving-children-slapped-with-new-charges

Farah told police she returned home around 4:20 p.m. to find 3-year-old Zakariya and 4-year-old Zuhar collapsed in the closet, not breathing. IMPD Sgt. Paul Thompson says it's possible the children collapsed from exhaustion, and were no longer able to breathe normally through their lungs.

The Coroner's office has not released an official cause of death for the two children. Farah's attorneys filed a motion to conduct an independent private autopsy on the children's bodies. Judge Kroh has not ruled on that motion yet.

"I understand their request for it. I don't think it's going to be meaningful. We've charged the defendant with neglect. So, whether the cause of death was asphyxiation or some other cause, it's not going to affect the outcome of the neglect charge. We did not charge murder because this was not an intentional killing," said Marion County Chief Deputy Prosecutor David Wyser after court adjourned.

Farah remains in the Marion County Jail on a $200,000 bond. She is scheduled to appear in court again on Monday morning for a hearing on a motion filed by her attorneys to reduce her bond amount.

I just wanted to bump the bond amout.

Paintr
10-06-2010, 10:54 PM
So they have the money to bail her out but not to feed the kids...wow... Must just be lack of priorities. Or someone believes her innocence and have sent her money. Who knows. It's just plain sad.

I am also wondering where the money is coming from to pay for her clever lawyers. :waitasec:

Salem
10-06-2010, 11:17 PM
Have the charging documents already been linked? If not, here they are: http://media2.wishtv.com/_local/pdf/farah-charging-docs.pdf

Salem

ETA: Those poor, sweet babies. Oh my!

tlcya
10-07-2010, 09:25 AM
The statements got me. So clinical, there in black and white. How those babies must have suffered.

Juno
10-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Reading that just made me physically ill. Those poor children locked inside a closet and just expected to sleep all day. No food, water or even air to breathe. Monsterous. :furious:

Paintr
10-08-2010, 03:55 PM
http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/crime/mom-accused-in-kids-death-free-on-bond

24-Hour News 8 has learned someone posted a $200,000 bond for Ebyan Farah last week.

snip...

Her attorney is still considering asking for a change of venue.

Angels_Not_Forgotten
10-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Lord help us all :(

Where was that someone and their money when those poor children's bodies were eating away from the inside out from hunger??

Paintr
11-18-2010, 12:10 AM
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/25742874/detail.html

The trial of a Somali immigrant whose two children died after she locked them in a closet, police said, has been delayed.

A Marion County judge last week ordered Ebyan Farah, 28, to seek mental health treatment after two doctors determined she wasn't mentally stable enough to help her lawyers in the trial.

Paintr
11-18-2010, 12:13 AM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20101110/LOCAL18/11100376/Mom-who-kept-kids-in-closet-not-fit-for-trial?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CCommunities

Mom who kept kids in closet not fit for trial

http://www.wibc.com/news/Story.aspx?id=1309216

Farah's trial, scheduled to begin this month, has been cancelled. Court documents indicate that she is in treatment; the provider must notify the court within 90 days if she might be competent to stand trial "within the foreseeable future."

tlcya
11-18-2010, 12:17 AM
ty doesn't seem the right sentiment. I appreciate the recent news but wish you weren't having to bring it.

Paintr
11-18-2010, 12:41 AM
ty doesn't seem the right sentiment. I appreciate the recent news but wish you weren't having to bring it.

Hi tlcox! :seeya:

I just hate when I read about a case and then it just fades away while waiting for trial. I find myself suddenly wondering how it turned out. I went looking for this one and thought others might like to know also. :)

I guess we will just have to wait to hear what happens. sigh1

tlcya
11-18-2010, 01:37 AM
such a heartbreaking case. Bless those babies.

Paintr
06-05-2011, 12:10 AM
http://www.fox59.com/news/crime/wxin-ebyan-farah-new-court-date-set-for-mother-accused-of-starving-children-20110531,0,1087296.story

She faces eight felony counts, including two charges of neglect of a dependent resulting in death. She is scheduled to be back in court on June 16th for the competency hearing.

Lovejac
03-15-2014, 11:00 PM
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/indianapolis-mother-sentenced-to-30-years-for-locking-4-children-in-closet

Indianapolis mother sentenced to 30 years for locking 4 children in closet