PDA

View Full Version : GUILTY UT couple charged with raping daughter

Missizzy
09-27-2010, 05:08 PM
I've got to ask the obvious here. Why would a couple who were raping their child, allow her to attend therapy? That poor little girl. I am so hopeful that a loving foster placement is working to restore a little trust for her. What wicked parents.....

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50349117-76/child-daughter-bountiful-couple.html.csp

Bountiful [UT] couple charged with raping daughter

"Prosecutors have charged a Bountiful [UT] couple with raping their daughter.

In 2007, the couple engaged in sex acts with their daughter when she was 11 and 12 years old, charging documents state. The couple, whom The Salt Lake Tribune is not naming in order to protect their daughter’s identity, engaged in sex acts with the child in front of each other and together, the documents state. The information came to light during the child’s therapy session...."

and

"...The girl, along with a younger sister and brother, have been placed in state custody..."

more at link

Missizzy
09-27-2010, 05:20 PM
A link to some discussion of the case:

Bountiful couple charged with raping daughter - The Salt Lake Tribune's TribTalk

Remember, the MS pages can't be linked to as they show children.

I learn something new everyday. I didn't realize that one could be on good standing with the Mormon church and smoke and drink and have tattoos. That's far different than the expectations past Mormon friends of mine have adhered to. There's also mention of past a past abuser of the children who's now in prison. It sounds as if these children were victimized by more than one couple.

KaylynnCouture
09-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Missizzy- The couple (or, the wife at least) was not active Mormon. She was raised in the church, but stopped practicing.

I don't know this couple personally, but I know of them. They were not active Mormon. Which may explain the tattoos, drinking, etc.

Missizzy
09-27-2010, 05:39 PM
I guess they are announcing the names of the couple. Possibly, other victims might come forward:

http://www.standard.net/topics/sex-abuse/2010/09/23/couple-charged-child-rape

"A married couple has been charged with first-degree felonies for having a sexual relationship with an 11-year-old girl.

[MY NOTE: HELLO!! IT'S NOT A RELATIONSHIP, IT'S RAPE...IF IT WERE A RELATIONSHIP, THERE WOULDN'T BE FELONIES ATTACHED TO IT]

Bountiful police arrested Michael Ray Barry, 44, and his wife, Penni Barry, 36, on Wednesday after investigating claims made by the girl, said Police Lt. Randy Pickett...."

more at link

Missizzy
09-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Thanks for that clarification. That really bothered me. However, the mother does comment that her children are going to church. I'm hopeful that other church members can be supportive of these children as their lives must be turned upside down.

It really irritates me when people proclaim to not smoke or drink and then there's photos of them clearly engaging in that behavior. Both MS pages are extremely smarmy, IMO. The friends I have had which were active in the Mormon church would never consider having a MS page like these. Their pages were very family centered and loving.

Missizzy
09-27-2010, 07:58 PM
http://www.myyearbook.com/?mysession=cmVnaXN0cmF0aW9uX3Byb2ZpbGUmdXNlcmlkPTI 1NzE4NTQ1

The child was raped in the past. Penni talks about going to trial and hoping they send the man away. On her MS page, she talks about the man in jail having photos of her children. This woman scares me. The photos of her little girl are NOT appropriate and she kind of gloats about men wanting to "marry" her little girl.

YUCK. Poor child.

charok
09-27-2010, 08:40 PM
the "my yearbook page"? ummm..........ok....
poor girl( the child i mean) and she had younger sibs? i wonder what the younger ones endured? my heart goes out to the kids

Truthful Lies
09-27-2010, 09:09 PM
I almost threw up looking at her myspace...poor kid....so that would have been 3 years ago.

SunnieRN
09-27-2010, 09:22 PM
Sick!!! What could possibly make a 'mother' believe this would EVER be ok!

Poor kidlets!

Missizzy
09-27-2010, 09:24 PM
There are two younger siblings who are in state custody, along with the victim. I'm more than a little concerned, though, about just who the granddaughter belongs to. Penni says that she was only allowed to see her on the day she was born (sometime in 2009) and is being kept away from her.

There's only two scenarios I can think of which would explain that. She might have an older child who had an infant. That child might have the good sense to keep the infant away from Penni. The second scenario is too awful to even print.

Missizzy
09-27-2010, 09:43 PM
http://www.hi5.com/friend/p37482748--Profile--html

She did NOT make a good choice for her children:

Sept. 30, 2005

"...Well I have done it.<more at link>

So, who's in prison for hurting her child?

Missizzy
09-27-2010, 10:29 PM
The previous husband, I believe, whose address is the Utah State Prison in Draper:

http://www.homefacts.com/offender-detail/UT709955/Robert-Samuel-Burton.html

Robert Samuel Burton
Address:14425 BITTERBRUSH LANE DRAPER, UT 84020 [State Prison]
Race:Caucasian
Sex: Male
Height: "5'06''
Weight:130lb lbs
Eyes: Hazel
Hair: Brown
Age/DOB: 43

Belinda
09-28-2010, 10:06 AM
Something about this story strikes me as odd, but I can't quite put my finger on it. It doesn't make sense that they would put the child in therapy if they thought she was going to tell on them. Unless it was court mandated because of the prior assaults. Missizzy, do you know if the courts ever mandate therapy treatment in these cases?

julie2
09-28-2010, 11:05 AM
On her hi5 page she says she loves any book by VC Andrews and all of those books are basically about incest.

Belinda
09-28-2010, 11:12 AM
My daughter has read probably every single VC Andrews book and has no history or interest in incest. I don't think you can use reading materials to objectively make an observation about someone. I read lots of crime and mystery books, but I'm not a criminal. LOL

AbbieNormal
09-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Well, they have screwed this girl (and possibly her siblings too) mind up for the rest of her life. Are they ok with that? I don't get it, personally I used to send our dog out of the room when we were going to -um- get intimate. I didn't even want the dog to watch. And these people are having sex on purpose in front of their kid (s) and making their kids participate. That's just too icky for words. I am glad the kids were removed from the home, hope they are in a good foster situation, and hope the adults involved all go to jail. For no less than 8-10years.
Theres a lot of land in Utah. Maybe they need to build a bigger prison to hold all the peeps who commit these crimes. It would even help the economy as that would create jobs (building and staffing the prison) There are several other states that need more prisons too.

abbie

Missizzy
09-28-2010, 12:02 PM
Belinda--If the man stated above was tried for child sex abuse offenses of this child and pleaded guilty (as alluded to on the MS page), I certainly can see the girl being offered therapy as a victim. That is one of the tenets of victims rights--especially for children.

It sounds to me that this woman chooses men who also abuse her children. She might have not been party to the first rapes. "Might not", but I find that doubtful. Maybe the daughter was just mum about it. Remember, she was also far younger.

Then the girl hit puberty and looks to have become sexualized AND mom has a new husband in the house who was approved to adopt the children (meaning Mike Barry must not have had a record. I think that mom was driving this behavior and encouraging it all along. As the child became sexualized, she might have been more compliant to the abuse. There's been some major grooming going on.

Possibly she wasn't in ongoing therapy but contacted a previous therapist when she was finally sick of the abuse. Also, often times therapists will check in with children a year or so later to see if they can close the case. Children are always given a business card with the therapist's phone number and encouraged to call if they need help.

I still wonder who that grandbaby belongs to and I wonder about names. I realize that we can't post anything about relatives but there's a female relative with a very unique name connected to Penni in some way. Several of her children are not living with her either.

Belinda
09-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Thanks Missizzy. I couldn't figure out how the therapist was playing into it. These poor poor children. I agree that the mother is probably driving the wheel here and purposely selecting men who will participate in the abuse. Very frightening, the things that are being done to children.

CHICANA
09-28-2010, 01:45 PM
I've got to ask the obvious here. Why would a couple who were raping their child, allow her to attend therapy? That poor little girl. I am so hopeful that a loving foster placement is working to restore a little trust for her. What wicked parents.....

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50349117-76/child-daughter-bountiful-couple.html.csp

Bountiful [UT] couple charged with raping daughter

"Prosecutors have charged a Bountiful [UT] couple with raping their daughter.

In 2007, the couple engaged in sex acts with their daughter when she was 11 and 12 years old, charging documents state. The couple, whom The Salt Lake Tribune is not naming in order to protect their daughter’s identity, engaged in sex acts with the child in front of each other and together, the documents state. The information came to light during the child’s therapy session...."

and

"...The girl, along with a younger sister and brother, have been placed in state custody..."

more at link

Good point. The girl is 14 or 15 now, they scare me at that age. You know I'm anti-perv & wouldn't mind the death penalty being imposed for child molestors but something seems off here.
A couple questions come to mind....
Why did they wait til she was 11 or 12 ?
Why did they stop after a year ?
Did the parents put her in therapy for behavioral problems ?

I can't imagine someone who raped a child risking exposure by putting that child in therapy. If they didn't care enough not to rape her, why would they care about her mental well being ?

CHICANA
09-28-2010, 01:56 PM
On her hi5 page she says she loves any book by VC Andrews and all of those books are basically about incest.

I read all the VC Andrew's books too. I even named my daughter Heaven.

reen
09-28-2010, 04:20 PM
I guess they are announcing the names of the couple. Possibly, other victims might come forward:

http://www.standard.net/topics/sex-abuse/2010/09/23/couple-charged-child-rape

"A married couple has been charged with first-degree felonies for having a sexual relationship with an 11-year-old girl.

[MY NOTE: HELLO!! IT'S NOT A RELATIONSHIP, IT'S RAPE...IF IT WERE A RELATIONSHIP, THERE WOULDN'T BE FELONIES ATTACHED TO IT]

Bountiful police arrested Michael Ray Barry, 44, and his wife, Penni Barry, 36, on Wednesday after investigating claims made by the girl, said Police Lt. Randy Pickett...."

more at link

ITA, that wouldn't be a sexual "relationship"!! Ooooo, that chaps my hide. Anyway, a couple of really interesting comments at this link from people who seem to know the family.

Missizzy
09-28-2010, 06:03 PM
FWIW, I sent an email to the reporter pointing out the inappropriateness of the word "relationship". Jeesh.

Think about it for a minute. They call the crime what it is; rape. Then they go on to call it a sexual relationship. Can you all imagine if this was an adult who had been raped. They'd call it rape, plain and simple. I think there's this inherent need to minimize these crimes as most of society just cannot really accept that they happen and that mind control is part of it. A child does not have to be beaten or left bloody and bruised to have been raped. A child can never have a sexual relationship.

Missizzy
09-28-2010, 07:08 PM
Reen--Can you please post a link to those comments. I'm coming up with a simple archived (already??) article and no attached comments.

Thanks.

Missizzy
09-28-2010, 07:22 PM
This story is disappearing for some reason. I found a link to the comments but it doesn't come up with google. In fact, a lot of the things I saw yesterday, don't come up. Odd.

http://www.standard.net/topics/sex-abuse/2010/09/23/couple-charged-child-rape?page=1

Missizzy
09-29-2010, 03:23 PM
If you search for Michael Ray Barry on several search sites, you'll find a uniquely named relative. Penni's not there but this other woman is. On Intelius, if you search for that woman, she shares a common father or grandfather with Penni, who's now deceased but still comes up as a relative. I can't figure out if Penni has changed her name or what as Penni comes up with both married last names. Is this woman with the unique name actually Penni or someone else?

There's only one person in SLC with that last name who works at a treatment home (according to his MyYearbook page and who has a very "sexy" MS page filled with personal and highly inappropriate posed photos of a young girl. The man even displays the exact same tattoo photo as Michael Barry--not the same tattoo but the same photo on a man's back. I compared the photos side by side and the freckles and details of the tattoo are identical. He must be very close to this couple.

There seem to be so many criss-crosses with these names that I wonder if some of the adult kids might be the children of a plural marriage or an extended family. The link here is the shared relative's name and the photo of someone's back. This other man is definitely close. That worries me. I'm concerned that child is in danger.

tlcya
09-29-2010, 04:27 PM
I think I am going to withhold judgment on this one til I've ha d achance to catch up with reading all teh links.

Something doesn't feel right about this one to me.

MandyLeigh
09-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Her pages are so horrible it actually crashed my computer. I can't believe she is 36 years old with the junk she puts out on the internet. I am disturbed by the way she puts her daughter out there as well.

For those who were commenting on the infant. That is her grandchild. She mentions her "grandbaby" on myspace.

My daughter has read probably every single VC Andrews book and has no history or interest in incest. I don't think you can use reading materials to objectively make an observation about someone. I read lots of crime and mystery books, but I'm not a criminal. LOL

Thank you for pointing this out. I]m a V.C. Andrews fan too and think incest, child abuse and rape are the lowest of the low. V.C. readers are not incest lovers nor would the books twist your mind into thinking that stuff is anywhere close to O.K.

Missizzy
09-29-2010, 05:21 PM
I'm just wondering which of her children has a child. Does she have children older than the three just taken into state custody or does the infant belong to the 14 year old? She states that she only got to see her grandbaby on the day of her birth. Why would that be?

Penni is only 36 and she wrote about the grandchild last year. She would have had to have been a very young mom to have an adult son or daughter. The only other possibility is that the child belongs to the victim. She clearly states that her current husband, Michael R. Barry, adopted her two girls in 2007. The youngest child must be a child of their relationship. I'm failing to see how she could have a grandchild by any one other than the young victim.

Possibly, this is a step-grandchild as her husband might have older children but why would she only be allowed to see the child on the day of her birth?

I'm afraid that it's just what I'm afraid it is.

Missizzy
09-30-2010, 01:22 PM
FWIW, the grandchild was born September 2009, according to a notation in Penni Barry's MS blog. Penni would have been 35.

Missizzy
10-01-2010, 03:26 AM
I called in a tip to the detective working on this case. He was most gracious and pleasant to work with. It sounds like a morass. There's a reason that things seem to criss cross and last names flip back and forth. It's because they do. There's a lot of swapping partners. We'd need a great big white board to keep it all straight.

FWIW, don't ever be afraid to call in a tip. I found something I just couldn't live with. I sent an email to the reporter and she connected me with the detective. I feel so much better now knowing that something really disturbing is being checked out.

Belinda
10-01-2010, 06:46 AM
So, we still don't know where the grandchild came from? I'm so glad you contacted authorities with your suspicions, Missizzy. This case could take some frightening turns, as though the original story isn't bad enough.

candycaane
10-01-2010, 08:41 AM
That is not her grandchild. She is mine. She doesn't belong to the young girl she belongs to my daughter. I am mikes ex-wife and the grand baby is our daughters we had 3 kids together.

Belinda
10-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Welcome candycaane! Thanks for clearing that up. We would welcome any insights you have into this case.

MandyLeigh
10-01-2010, 10:31 AM
I called in a tip to the detective working on this case. He was most gracious and pleasant to work with. It sounds like a morass. There's a reason that things seem to criss cross and last names flip back and forth. It's because they do. There's a lot of swapping partners. We'd need a great big white board to keep it all straight.

FWIW, don't ever be afraid to call in a tip. I found something I just couldn't live with. I sent an email to the reporter and she connected me with the detective. I feel so much better now knowing that something really disturbing is being checked out.

Thank you for caring about these kids to call that tip in Missizzy. :thumb: Sounds like there is a lot of strange things going on with this couple and I'm sure detectives are going to need all the help they can get. I hope the rest of the people around these two are brave enough to do the same.

Missizzy
10-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Candycaane--Welcome and thank you for setting us straight. I look forward to your posts. This is a really disturbing case. I am so hopeful that all the children are safe and that the authorities are making the correct choices for them.

Missizzy
10-01-2010, 01:15 PM
I've been really surprised by the number of commenters on the different news sources that place the blame for these arrests on this teen girl. It sounds as if she's struggled with acting out for several years and some are saying that she's fabricated these "stories". I would hate for a child to use such tactics to hurt someone.

My heart goes out to this child as there's something going terribly wrong for her. We all know that victims can act out in provocative ways and can strike out at others whom they think have hurt them or not been present for them. I'm very hopeful that this child is in intensive treatment so all this can be sorted out.

candycaane
10-01-2010, 05:42 PM
The victim is my step-daughter and she isn't making anything up. My children have spoken to their father and he stated it did happen but we don't have specific details. I am hoping I can get custody of my step-daughters.

MandyLeigh
10-01-2010, 08:11 PM
I've been really surprised by the number of commenters on the different news sources that place the blame for these arrests on this teen girl. It sounds as if she's struggled with acting out for several years and some are saying that she's fabricated these "stories". I would hate for a child to use such tactics to hurt someone.

My heart goes out to this child as there's something going terribly wrong for her. We all know that victims can act out in provocative ways and can strike out at others whom they think have hurt them or not been present for them. I'm very hopeful that this child is in intensive treatment so all this can be sorted out.

It's a real shame these people can't shut their traps and allow investigators to do their job before they ream a child in public. :banghead: And for the dumbest reason ever. Abused children absolutely can and DO act out. Having to deal with the horrors of abuse is disruptive to any good kid. They can not be expected to be little angles with that in their lives.

Missizzy
10-01-2010, 09:58 PM
I'm so sorry for your pain candycaane. It must be hard to have someone you love be hurting. I'm hopeful that these children can be provided a safe and healing place to grow up.

I also hope that they can stay together, if that's possible.

Missizzy
10-30-2010, 08:50 PM
http://www.standard.net/topics/courts/2010/10/19/two-face-nov-16-hearing-abuse-case

Two face Nov. 16 hearing in abuse case

"In a courtroom packed with BACA members, a woman accused of sexually abusing an 11-year-old girl, pleaded not guilty.

Penni Barry, 36, of Bountiful, appeared in 2nd District Court on Tuesday. More than a dozen Bikers Against Child Abuse members sat on the first two rows in Judge David Connors' courtroom. They were there to support the victim.

Barry and her husband, Michael Ray Barry, 44, are both accused of having a sexual relationship with the girl...."

and

"...As she left the courtroom she looked into the gallery and smiled."

and

"...Penni Barry is charged with object rape of a child and sodomy on a child, both first-degree felonies, as well as dealing in harmful materials to a minor, a third-degree felony.

Michael Barry is charged with rape of a child and sodomy on a child, both first-degree felonies, as well as dealing in harmful material to a minor by an adult, a third-degree felony.

more at link

Join me in writing to this news source and reminding them that these acts do not reflect a "sexual relationship". Children cannot consent to a sexual relationship, thus it is called rape. Jeesh.

http://www.standard.net/contact-us

Debbie3223
10-30-2010, 08:59 PM
i try to be a good christian.. but..

i cannot stop the anger and over whelming sickenss and hatred for the people who do this.. i simply cannot pray for them....

i only wish bad on them..if that makes me bad....
well .....IM ON THE
HIGHWAY TO HELL THEN

Missizzy
03-23-2011, 11:27 PM
I pray that this child has solid support. I'm awed by the strength it must have taken for a teen to get up in court and confront her abusers. That confrontation is a major step toward healing. You go, Girl!!

http://www.standard.net/topics/courts/2011/03/22/teen-sex-abuse-victim-has-strong-words-mother-stepfather-sentenced-prison

Teen sex abuse victim has strong words for mother, stepfather sentenced to prison

"A prosecutor called a child sex abuse case against a husband and wife one of the most "disturbing, horrific crimes" he has encountered in his career. "I don't see any justification toward leniency..."

and

Penni Barry, 36, and Michael Ray Barry, 45, were both sentenced to serve 15 years to life in Utah State Prison on Tuesday. On Feb. 8, Penni Barry pleaded no contest to first-degree felony sodomy upon a child and Michael Barry pleaded guilty to first-degree felony sodomy on a child...."

and

"...Judge David Connors said before he sentenced the pair, "I don't generally like to make editorial comments when I'm sentencing (but like [DA Richard] Larsen) I've never seen anything so obviously disgustingly wrong as the facts of this case...."

and

"...The girl, who is in state custody undergoing treatment, spoke at the hearing. "There is not a place in hell hot enough for you," she said in a courtroom packed with family and members of Bikers Against Child Abuse. She spoke about the abuse and how now she knows "it was very, very wrong. I feel dirty still." Muffled sobs could be heard as adults in the gallery bowed their heads and wiped tears while the girl spoke.

She said she still loves her parents, but what they did "was beyond wrong" and the prison time they serve is not just for her, but to protect her siblings. "I mostly blame my mother, because she should have been my protector, but she bought me cigarettes, alcohol and drugs..."

more at link