PDA

View Full Version : 17 years Laura Thompson's killer turned in by wife

passionflower
09-27-2010, 05:19 PM
http://www.wpxi.com/news/25177997/detail.html

Laura Lynn Thompson ran away from home 17 years ago.
Her mother prayed and thought she was still alive making a
new life for herself.
Today mom just found out her daughter was murdered 2 days after she ran away.
The murderer's wife turned him in...........

KaylynnCouture
09-27-2010, 05:28 PM
Wow.

My prayers and thoughts go out to Laura's family. Definitely not the ending they were hoping for :( I'm glad this gives them closure though.

yosande
09-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Where's the baby, now 17 years old, may I asked?

SuziQ
09-27-2010, 06:49 PM
The wife has known since 1993? Better late than never I guess.....:rolleyes:

Betty P
09-27-2010, 07:15 PM
Her profile at NCMEC

http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PubCaseSearchServlet?act=viewChildDetail&caseNum=777676&orgPrefix=NCMC&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchLang=en_US

What a beautiful young woman, only 15.

ETA: Link to her WS page

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16538

SunnieRN
09-27-2010, 08:46 PM
What a beautiful young girl! I am glad that the wife turned in the killer, but I wonder what happened that caused her to do so after waiting 17 years?

jnTexas
09-27-2010, 08:56 PM
So did she run away leaving the baby with her mom? or is the baby also missing. The story is not written very well.

Truthful Lies
09-27-2010, 09:04 PM
I'm glad she turned them in...but she rode along while they dug up the body and she's not being charged with anything?! Sounds like she just wants all the marital assets.

Betty P
09-27-2010, 09:09 PM
I'm glad she turned them in...but she rode along while they dug up the body and she's not being charged with anything?! Sounds like she just wants all the marital assets.

A couple of the news stories mentioned she feared her husband. It sounds as though she was in an abusive relationship, though you have to wonder why she didn't leave him years ago. Maybe she feared he would kill her, too, because of what she knew.

ETA According to the news story at this link, the baby is now an 18 year old boy. The grandmother raised him until he was 12, when he was adopted by someone else. Poor kid, sounds like he hasn't had an easy life, losing his mother and having his grandmother put him up for adoption.

http://www.timesonline.com/bct_news/news_details/article/1373/2010/september/27/pa-wife-turns-in-husband-friend-in-1993-murder.html

Truthful Lies
09-27-2010, 09:15 PM
A couple of the news stories mentioned she feared her husband. It sounds as though she was in an abusive relationship, though you have to wonder why she didn't leave him years ago. Maybe she feared he would kill her, too, because of what she knew.

I read that...and I thought about it...she could have turned him in anytime after 1993 and didn't....she would have had protection. Nothing changed from then until now that would have let him out....I think she was greedy. Im not saying there was nothing to fear about him - clearly he is a scary, evil person...but what changed?

Ehh. Moo.

Betty P
09-27-2010, 09:24 PM
I read that...and I thought about it...she could have turned him in anytime after 1993 and didn't....she would have had protection. Nothing changed from then until now that would have let him out....I think she was greedy. Im not saying there was nothing to fear about him - clearly he is a scary, evil person...but what changed?

Ehh. Moo.

True, it was a very long time that she lived with the secret. Apparently, once she decided to divorce him, she made a recording of him confessing to the murder. Maybe she caught him cheating on her and decided to seek revenge.

impatientredhead
09-27-2010, 09:25 PM

Statute of limitations is probably up on anything she was directly involved in, and without her they have no prosecution so they probably would have made a deal anyway.

I tool would question her motives for coming "clean" at this point in time. I doubt it has anything to do with the victim, her family, or feeling guilty.

Truthful Lies
09-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Statute of limitations is probably up on anything she was directly involved in, and without her they have no prosecution so they probably would have made a deal anyway.

I tool would question her motives for coming "clean" at this point in time. I doubt it has anything to do with the victim, her family, or feeling guilty.

Ah! Thank you =) My little brain was only focused on the one thing. Thanks! =D

passionflower
09-28-2010, 05:41 PM
www.KDKA.com
It was just stated, that LE knows where Laura was buried and her body spread about in a field.
Now for the search for her to have a proper burial.

3 knew this secret for 17 years! Imagine living with that?
now 1 is talking and the 2 men are admitting the story also............

There is hope for all victims of vicious crimes........
sooner or later LE gets their guys!!!!

MacPlus512
09-29-2010, 12:36 AM
I just heard this news too--saw it on TV last night and again tonight. I sent the news links off to Doe Network so they can update the page for Laura. (I guess she's still technically missing, since they haven't recovered a body yet).

Hard to believe this went for so long without anyone turning the two men in, especially in the Pittsburgh area. For those not familiar with the city, it's basically a small town disguised as a city, where news always seems to travel very quickly (think of how news got spread around your high school and you have how Pittsburgh feels sometimes).

Please pray for the 18 year old. I am one semester away from becoming an educator and have observed firsthand what can happen when tragic news and events strike our youth. These sort of youths need support and guidance in times like this, especially when the news is widespread in the media.

butterfly1978
09-29-2010, 08:37 AM
You mean to tell me that in 17 years this woman could not find an oppurtunity to tell the police, because she was scared but now all of the sudden that she is getting a divorce and its her life directly affected she is no longer scared? OMG THEY SHOULD CHARGE THIS WOMAN FOR with holding evidence, assessory after the fact, impeding an investigation and anything else they can find to charge her with. HOW FREAKIN SELFISH!
She was not scared she is greedy and selfish

Belinda
09-29-2010, 08:41 AM
You mean to tell me that in 17 years this woman could not find an oppurtunity to tell the police, because she was scared but now all of the sudden that she is getting a divorce and its her life directly affected she is no longer scared? OMG THEY SHOULD CHARGE THIS WOMAN FOR with holding evidence, assessory after the fact, impeding an investigation and anything else they can find to charge her with. HOW FREAKIN SELFISH!
She was not scared she is greedy and selfish

I agree, but I think they need her to testify against the other two. It sucks that it has to work that way, but it does. No doubt in my mind she turned in the husband as pay-back over the divorce. At least her mother now knows what happened to her.

Truthful Lies
09-29-2010, 08:43 AM
I'm wondering what the "wire tap" laws are in PA...most states include in-person conversations in that law...if she violated anything, that confession will be thrown out =p For example, in VA, you can record with only one persons consent, whereas in FL you need both parties consent. In VA, you can't record conversations where the person has a "reasonable expectation of privacy", but could record in public or at a restaurant.

passionflower
09-29-2010, 12:10 PM
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/25208922/detail.html

and he had sex with the corpse while the other watch, wife watched him dig Laura up and dismembered Laura and move body parts....................OMG!
and she married this creep?
Wife must be alittle OFF, IMO

Missizzy
09-29-2010, 12:32 PM
Pennsylvania appears to be a two party notification state, meaning that both parties of a phone or person to person conversation must agree to recording.

http://www.callcorder.com/phone-recording-law-america.htm#State%20Laws%20(Table)

Missizzy
09-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Laura disappeared on January 7, 1993 at age 15. It is reported that the killer had sex with her dead body and dismembered her. FWIW:

Jan. 7 ~ ST. WINEBALD DAY
(Satanic Blood Rituals)
Oral, Anal, Vaginal
Animal and/or human sacrifice and dismemberment

Jan 17 ~ SATANIC REVELS
sexual
oral, anal, vaginal
7-17 female

sindydee
09-30-2010, 08:59 PM
So she knew about a murder for all those years and she doesn't get anything for covering up and with with-holding information?

Truthful Lies
10-02-2010, 05:41 PM
So...that means that his confession will perhaps be thrown out if it's a two party consent state...bummer. Thanks for looking that up, Missizzy =) Hopefully the prosecutors can somehow keep it in the game.