PDA

View Full Version : IN IN - Melinda Karen Creech, 13, Anderson, 4 Sept 1979

Kelly
08-25-2004, 12:38 AM
Melinda Creech
Missing since September 4, 1979 from Anderson, Madison County, Indiana.
Classification: Endangered Runaway

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: September 21, 1963
Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: N/A
Distinguishing Characteristics: Blonde hair; blue eyes. Possibly wavey hair.
Dentals: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Melinda Creech ran away from home several times. When she ran away from home in 1979 she was never seen again. At least not by her siblings who were led to believe, by their mother, that she had been found dead in New York. This was untrue according to documents found after the mothers death. Creech could use a different last name.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Madison County Sheriffs Office
Detective Callahan
765-646-9281

Family website: http://www.geocities.com/mindyscandle/index.html

Kelly Jolkowski
President and Founder,
Project Jason
www.projectjason.org

2sisters
08-28-2004, 08:02 PM
Maybe if she ran away, Melinda went to one of the bigger cities in Indiana. Maybe if the family did searches there and put her story one the local news and newspapers (if they haven't) in places like Indianapolis, Lafayette, Fort Wayne, Evansville, or even Louisville, Ky and Chicago. they could get a lead. Maybe billboards on theiterstate would be an option. I'm sure they have done or thought of this, but I just thought I would throw it out there.

AuntieKaren
08-29-2004, 01:50 AM
Maybe if she ran away, Melinda went to one of the bigger cities in Indiana. Maybe if the family did searches there and put her story one the local news and newspapers (if they haven't) in places like Indianapolis, Lafayette, Fort Wayne, Evansville, or even Louisville, Ky and Chicago. they could get a lead. Maybe billboards on theiterstate would be an option. I'm sure they have done or thought of this, but I just thought I would throw it out there.

Problem is, she would be 40 now--probably looks nothing like she did at 16. Wow, what a long time to be missing. So sad.
Karen

WasBlind
08-29-2004, 05:00 AM
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/1297dfin.html

Interesting link for a "Melinda Creech" I found on yahoo, which states "Photos of worship banners designed and created by Melinda Creech."

http://www.seminext.com/synapse/photoalbum/album_view.cfm?albumid=4579&website=rrcreech.com

Might be somehow related to them.

All matches for Melinda Creech on yahoo are here

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=%22Melinda+Creech%22&ei=UTF-8&fr=FP-tab-web-t&cop=mss&tab=

Prayers for this family. Thanks for the info, Kelly.

With HOPE, Lanie
Help For The Missing
HelpForTheMissing@yahoo.com

Kelly
09-11-2004, 05:53 PM
http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=2265077&nav=9TaiQckX

Anderson, September 6 - Fourteen-year-old Melinda Karen Creech disappeared September 4, 1979. Twenty-five years later her brother Daryl Creech of Oklahoma hopes to find her.

Melinda lived in Anderson, Indiana in the 2900 block of West Cross Street along with her siblings.

They say their mother assured them their lost sister passed away after a body turned up in New Jersey. But now there are lots of questions.

"What would cause a 14-year-old girl to disappear and never be seen or heard from again," asks Madison County Sheriff Terry Richwine

Years after their mother's death and a search through her personal belongings raised more questions.

Melinda's siblings found an unsent letter by Melinda to a possible boyfriend named Ricky Williams, an invitation someone gave Melinda to a party, her address book and the most shocking discovery,
a letter disclosing unmatched dental records indicating that the body found was not Melinda.

"That brings into question why she put that information out when she knew it was not true," said
Richwine.

Doe Network is an organization dedicated to heating up cold missing persons cases. They, just like Melinda's siblings, would like to know why Melinda's mother gave out false information about her death.

"Maybe she was afraid the other kids, her sisters and brothers might do everything they could to see that she got back home," said Julie Mearing of Doe Network.

After 25 years, the Creechs hope to find not only a missing sister, but answers as well..

emma l
09-13-2004, 08:39 AM
Melindas poor family. I can think of another reason that Melindas mother might want people to give up and think she was dead. I hope I am wrong. Bless her. :angel:

WasBlind
12-11-2004, 03:40 PM
Praying for Melinda.

With love and HOPE, Lanie

KT Can
07-29-2005, 07:03 PM
Bumping for Melinda.....

Kelly, do you know if there have been any updates on Melinda's case? Has the family received any new leads? Did they get any response to the letters that they sent out? I think of Melinda often and hold out hope that this family can be reunited.

Kelly
07-29-2005, 07:42 PM
I have not heard from Melinda's family in a very long time, even though I have emailed them. I wish I could tell you more. (sigh) Thanks for asking, though.

Kelly

dmvpenn
07-30-2005, 01:49 PM
Oh My, what a strange twist for the family to find information that their mom put forth false information. Truth is stranger then fiction.

Prayers to the family for strengh as they search for the answers.

Kimberly1
10-21-2005, 10:19 PM
Emma I also thought of a reason Melindas mother would want people to believe she was dead. Maybe her mother didn't bother to show up at her court case and sometime later Melinda confronted her about it. Later a terrible fight took place and Melinda was killed. The mother convinced her family that Melinda was dead (Princess Doe) so they would not question her about Melindas whereabouts as they became older.

Paradise
10-23-2005, 08:36 PM
Emma I also thought of a reason Melindas mother would want people to believe she was dead. Maybe her mother didn't bother to show up at her court case and sometime later Melinda confronted her about it. Later a terrible fight took place and Melinda was killed. The mother convinced her family that Melinda was dead (Princess Doe) so they would not question her about Melindas whereabouts as they became older.
I was also thinking this too as I read this thread. I wonder if her mother or someone close to her killed her, and her mother was just saying that her body was found to protect someone.

meggilyweggily
10-24-2005, 01:09 AM
I can think of a more benign explanation: the mother simply wanted to forget about the whole experience.

pugsley
10-24-2005, 12:16 PM
The family is trying to obtain DNA so they can do testing against a few Jane doe's. More info at her website, but a big CAUTION as there is an actual coroner photo of one of the Jane's.

http://www.geocities.com/mindyscandle/

hoping4truth
06-14-2006, 04:28 PM
I saw this Jane Doe on the DOE network a while back. And when I was looking for something else today in regards to Franklin Floyd (Sharon Marshall thread) I came upon Melinda and immediately thought of her.

Jane Doe (http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/264uftn.html)

Melinda Creech (http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PubCaseSearchServlet?act=viewChildDetail&caseNum=1036765&orgPrefix=NCMC&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchLang=en_US)

I hope I'm wrong. Do any of you see a resemblance?

The only thing that bothers me is that this DOE was found 5 years after Melinda went missing.

Khavna
06-15-2006, 05:25 PM
i see a resemblance the only thing is that the jane doe's estimated time of death is 3-6 weeks and was found in 1985(?) she went missing in 1979 thats 6 years not 6 weeks :(

hoping4truth
06-15-2006, 06:45 PM
Yeah, I know. :(

The only reason I put it out there is because Melissa ran away from an abusive homelife. I put it here thinking it could be possible that she lived on her own for a while, and met a horrible fate, later. The Jane Doe was in the right age range for it to have been Melissa. If Melissa ran away and got involved with the wrong people, then this is possible. Especially since she was 6 wks pregnant.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. I'd rather her be alive and just contemplating contacting her family.

Khavna
06-15-2006, 06:49 PM
Yeah, I know. :(

The only reason I put it out there is because Melissa ran away from an abusive homelife. I put it here thinking it could be possible that she lived on her own for a while, and met a horrible fate, later. The Jane Doe was in the right age range for it to have been Melissa. If Melissa ran away and got involved with the wrong people, then this is possible. Especially since she was 6 wks pregnant.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. I'd rather her be alive and just contemplating contacting her family.

she was pregnant and only 14?! well, that could be a reason for her to runaway meaning that her parents did not know and she didn't want them to find out, then something tragic could have happened to her along the way of her running away. mind you when i looked at the two pictures they look very similar uncanny that is.

hoping4truth
06-15-2006, 07:03 PM
Melinda wasn't pregnant. The Jane Doe was. Sorry for the confusion.

Khavna
06-15-2006, 07:28 PM
Melinda wasn't pregnant. The Jane Doe was. Sorry for the confusion.
Ahh o.k i see now :banghead: maybe melinda could have been pregnant? there is a possiblity that this Jane doe could be Melinda they look VERY similar. the only differences i see is when the jane doe was found the estimated time of death is way out, mind you it is a estimate but i don't believe it was a skeleton either, who knows Melinda went missing when she was 14 right, she might have went to another state as this Jane Doe was found in Tennesse with someone or by herself (or kidnapped) got pregnant then was murdered the age range of the jane doe is 15-17 years old not too far off from Melinda's age range. just a theory

Khavna
06-15-2006, 07:32 PM
another note is you say thay melinda ran away from an abusive home,however it has her listed as lost,Injured,Missing and has not listed her as a runaway. i believe there is no evidence or her being a runaway. there have been so many children snatched from their own homes sadly, this could be the case with Melinda :(

laini
06-16-2006, 12:00 AM
What about this Jane Doe?

www.doenetwork.us/cases/81ufar.html (http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/81ufar.html)

hoping4truth
06-16-2006, 01:37 AM
another note is you say thay melinda ran away from an abusive home,however it has her listed as lost,Injured,Missing and has not listed her as a runaway. i believe there is no evidence or her being a runaway. there have been so many children snatched from their own homes sadly, this could be the case with Melinda :(

Earlier in this thread there was a post made by another member that has a link to the family's webpage (post 14).

On that web page, it says that Melissa ran away and that the youngest brother Caryl tried to convince her to stay:

"Until then I just try to stay very busy so I donít worry about her all of the time. I have felt such a huge loss and void from never knowing what happened to her. The hardest hit was our younger brother Caryl (pronounced as Carl). He remembers watching her run down the road and him yelling, ďPlease donít go!Ē He regrets not being able to stop her from running away. Even knowing she never wanted to see us again, would hurt much less than not knowing anything and it would release Caryl from his guilt of not being big enough, old enough, or strong enough to stop her. He still feels as if it was his fault in some way."

Khavna
06-16-2006, 07:43 PM
could it be that them saying that she was a runaway a cover-up to the truth?:twocents:

2sisters
09-12-2006, 11:02 AM
http://community.cnhi.com/eve/forums/a/cfrm/f/181105623
this is an Anderson, IN community forum, maybe a post on there would generate some leads?

2sisters
10-01-2006, 11:12 AM
Has her falimy been invited to come to websleuths yet? does anyone think I should post about her on the local anderson, in forum? who knows, she may read it.

laini
10-01-2006, 10:13 PM
I think that is a good idea to invite them to websleuths. I also think the Arizona Jane Doe someone posted above resembles Melinda a Lot.

2sisters
10-01-2006, 10:38 PM
Ok ,i left a message on Melinda's guestbook letting them know we are here. i am sure they have been here before but I guess every little bit helps. I think they have a real good chance of finding her alive.

missacorah
10-02-2006, 04:35 AM
I really hope so but I just cant imagine why the mother claimed Melinda had died. Even if she wanted to forget, this would just be adding more fuel to the fire.

mjak
10-02-2006, 09:42 AM
What about this Jane Doe?

www.doenetwork.us/cases/81ufar.html (http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/81ufar.html)
Wow, I think there is a real strong resembalnce between Melinda and this Jane doe!! Good match up.

mjak

reb
10-02-2006, 12:27 PM
i'm surprised no one has brought this up yet:
she could have been killed at the detention center/youth home, and there could have been some kind of cover-up (maybe someone took her away & dumped or buried her, to save themselves). have all the employees from that time been investigated to see if there were any reports of abuse-- that is, if any records were kept?

sometimes things happen semi-accidently, from use of restraints, solitary confinement, or a person has an unseen heart condition that kills them during a struggle, and the employees don't get medical help for them in time... i wonder if this youth home still exists or what kind of place it was. if it was a sketchy place, there could have been all kinds of abuses going on.
another possibility- a sexual predator worked there... or she could have threatened to tell people about something going on there.. and she 'disappears'. just a thought.
i wonder if the family has checked morgue records in that area from that time frame to see what kind of anonymous people were buried or cremated.
in the old days, many asylums had their own graveyards (!!!!!!) you gotta wonder about that.. how many suspicious deaths occured. but probably by the 1970's, and for a juvenile detention home, that wouldn't be the case (at least,, legally).
probably, her running away from the place and getting mixed up with the wrong people is a more likely scenario. perhaps she hitched a ride with a trucker or someone else who was intent on murdering young girls.

i wonder if dalles from the cold cases thread (who wrote the book about his trucker father murdering several young people, still yet to be identified) has looked at her photo...?

i would think if she got out of that place alive, she would have either stayed with the friends or acquaintances of someone she knew closeby for a night or 2, and then they might hae hopped on a greyhound bus or hitchhiked straight to california, or maybe vegas... with promises of work and money. i hope any jane does along those routes (& in those areas) have been thoroughly checked.

what about this one:
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/255ufok.html
it says some teeth are out of alignment (which mindy's appear to be, although we don't know if mindy had gotten extensive dental work done? maybe she did after she left the youth home, and someone else paid for it?) and she could have given herself some crude tattoos while in the youth home. the only thing is they say she is 18-25, and mindy would have been 14-15.
i wasn't clear (from her brother's website) if she ran away from HOME, or from the youth home in sept '79. but the remains were found in april 1980, so... well, anyway they've probably already seen her.

reb
10-02-2006, 12:28 PM
OK.... this one's probably been ruled out also, but she is a spitting image of mindy!:
http://www.doenetwork.us/

2sisters
10-02-2006, 01:21 PM
reb, the link just goes to the home page, can you repost it please? I am hoping her family comes on over her to talk to us. i never thought about an accidental death at the detention center. I hope that didn't happen.

laini
10-02-2006, 01:53 PM
i'm surprised no one has brought this up yet:
she could have been killed at the detention center/youth home, and there could have been some kind of cover-up (maybe someone took her away & dumped or buried her, to save themselves). have all the employees from that time been investigated to see if there were any reports of abuse-- that is, if any records were kept?.
Interesting thoughts. But why would her mom cover up for that? If that happened, I would think she would tell the siblings what happened and/or something more for her death. Good thought, though. May be something to check into.

reb
10-02-2006, 05:09 PM
oops, sorry, here it is again. i think the resemblance is shocking.. but again, her family must have seen it already.. if not, they should!

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/258ufnv.html

as for the theory about her accidental death at the detention center... my idea was that NOBODY knew about it. just the staff member (or members) who were involved. perhaps he/they used too much force to subdue her when she was acting out, or trying to run away, or she ran and they brought her back... and they cold sheet-rapped her (a common practive in psych hospitals & youth homes even in the 1980's.. maybe not used much anymore...?) or restained her some other way, tackled her, hit her, cut off her oxygen, she hit her head, she suffocated, who knows... and then instead of getting in trouble, he or they took the body away in secret and disposed of it. it would probably be difficult for this to happen without anyone else knowing about it, but you never know. there may have been no witnesses. or, perhaps she was raped by some psycho who worked there and then he got rid of the body at night... took her out with a huge bag of dirty laundry, or something,, in case anyone saw him. loaded it into his vehicle in the dark, and dumped her somewhere. (just brainstorming here.) and then her mother never knew about it, just heard she ran away, searched for her years later, saw the story about jane doe in NY and assumed it must be her; looked into it with the help of police, then when the police told her it WASN'T her, she was crushed because she could not get closure. so she just decided to convince herself it really was her, and tell her siblings that, so they could have closure too. or maybe as a "see, this is what you get when you run away" lesson. i think she just felt more comfortable believing it was her, no matter what the cop told her. she just had to close that chapter in her life.

i've also noticed something about the whole runaway issue... it seems that in the old days, a female runaway was considerd a shame upon the family. a young girl who did that was considerd a loose, girl, a bad girl, wild, etc.. and i think mothers back then were more likely to just disown their daughter, and write them off. times have changed and parents now seem to do anything possible to get help for their kids, love them no matter what. etc. but i think in earlier times, female runaways were just kind of forgotten about. who knows how mindy's mom felt about her, but she obviously cared enough to try to look for her. and of course there was no internet- and less efficient communications then, so it was harder to look for someone. but she may have been angry at mindy, or angry at the fact that she couldn't find any answers on her whereabouts. so that's why she stuck with the lie of her being murdered.

i coudn't find anything about the 'old blake house' online (including images). but one thing that clued me to the fact that the place might be kind of shabby is that her brother said it was an informal detention center for youths. perhaps this means it was not very well run or well-funded.

reb
10-02-2006, 06:01 PM
OK (correction!), i see now that the mother told her remaining children in 1982, that mindy was killed. then the articles about the unidentified homicide victims, and the letter from the detective saying that it wasn't mindy-- that were found later by mindy's brother after their mom's death in 2003- were from the late 80's.
so...... even though their mom- in '82- had not yet followed that lead and reached a dead end,, she could have still told the lie about mindy being found dead, just to end the whole thing. and perhaps she felt in some way, that 'she would have deserved it'.
strange though-- about her protectiveness of the shed with her husband's tools in it- and the fact that mindy's friends were so convinced that it had some connection to her disappearance.. and that 'their beliefs were so strong they said it was if they could hear mindy calling out to them'......!!! what is up with that??
one thing i'm confused about though-- is that the idea of mindy & her mom having a fight & her being killed suggests that she must have come home AFTER being in the detention center.. right? but everything else on her site suggests that she ran away from center, & was never seen again. so i'm not very clear on that.

another thing that really baffles me--- how no one really know if "she escaped or tried to escape" from the center...? how could you not know which one it was? didn't her mother demand answers??? so if she escaped, then she'd either be in hiding (or not) or living under a different identity to this day (perhaps even in another country),, homeless & unaware that people are looking for her, or something bad happened to her out there & she's dead. if she 'tried to escape'.. what does that mean? does that mean she did escape but was brought back? does it mean she was planning to, but was caught? this implies to me that she may have been punished. in mental hospitals, escaping is a very bad thing... because that means the hospital is liable if something happens to you. so normally they take away ALL privileges, or put you in solitary confinement for a few days, or use whatever other punishments they have. and juvenile centers are much the same, if not worse.

reb
10-02-2006, 06:17 PM
this is also strange.. the charley project states that in 1994, shirley (the mother) informed her kids that mindy had been found dead. must be a misprint, since her brother says shirley told them the lie in '82. it also says they consider her an 'extremely abusive parent'. i also wonder why there is no mention of a father, other than his tools being in the shed.. was the father around, did they know their father? was he alive? and why was there no photo of him on mindy's website (on the family page)? the CP also says that she is of hispanic descent! wow, could've fooled me!! shirley definitely looks like she could be, maybe even part black. but the kids, and especially mindy- look completely irish to me! i wonder if there is more to this story.. is their mom really their mom? how come her kids didn't inherit her skin tone, which appears to be quite dark (maybe the photos aren't very accurate though)? if she was abusive, did that come from her rage at being abandoned by her husband/her kids' father? maybe mindy reminded her of him.
also it states that mindy had a previously fractured left arm~! i wonder if that was from abuse....????

also.. what is on the grounds on the old blake house now? is it still a youth center, or changed to something else? has the property around there been searched- are there any woods (or areas that were wooded in '79) or a pond/lake nearby?

2sisters
10-02-2006, 11:27 PM
Reb, i think you should contact Doe Network about it or email melinda's family about her. you never know, they may not have seen it. on the website, they have an email on there. Is there anyone from Anderson, In on ehre that can answer a few questions about the Blake House?

reb
10-02-2006, 11:52 PM
OK, i sent an e-mail to the address on mindy's brother's website. better safe than sorry, right?
if it's not her, then it sure is an amazing likeness! and the body was found about a week after death so the drawing is probably quite accurate. good ol' wesley neville!! what a talented guy, as are so many of those forensic artists. what an amazing thing that they do!

laini
10-03-2006, 12:31 AM
Reb, you have lots of good thoughts.

Hmm. I wonder if maybe there was a Jane Doe in/around 1994 and their mom knew it was Melinda but never identified her to LE. She told her kids Melinda was murdered in 1994? Or she told them in 1994? Ok, now I am confusing myself. LOL

laini
10-03-2006, 12:33 AM
Ok. So, it looks like their mom told them Melinda was murdered in 1982? (not 1994)

laini
10-03-2006, 12:39 AM
www.doenetwork.us/cases/491ufin.html (http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/491ufin.html)

This jane doe was found in 1982 and in Indiana. She resembles Melinda some I think. Same state and same year?

2sisters
10-03-2006, 09:56 AM
I wouldn't pay too much attention to dates in this case b/c there seems to be alot of misinformation and the Creech children seem have started from square one too many years later with not alot to go on. i am still crossing my fingers and hoping they come on over here.

lymom3
10-04-2006, 05:27 PM
"We think we found Melinda alive and well, but she wonít respond. We are still trying to fill in the blanks to prove this. We over nighted her a birthday card and it has not been returned yet. That was 14 days ago. She canít be removed from the list of missing until she does."

That was posted as of today....hope it's true for the family's sake.

2sisters
10-04-2006, 09:44 PM
can you post a link to that?i hope she will see her family, they seem to really want to see her again

lymom3
10-05-2006, 06:15 AM
http://porchlightinternationalformissinguid.com/

It won't link to the actual thread but it is under The Cabinet Forum and The Cabinet.

reb
10-05-2006, 02:10 PM
i couldn't find that forum,, but wow, what great news for them!! even if she doesn't want to respond for whatever reason.. i'm sure her siblings can rest easier knowing she is alive & at least might read what they have to say to her. it might be incredibly difficult for her to respond if she has been cut off from them for so long.

mfmangel1
10-06-2006, 01:29 AM
http://porchlightinternationalformissinguid.com/

It won't link to the actual thread but it is under The Cabinet Forum and The Cabinet.
I couldn't find any heading for "The Cabinet" or "The Cabinet Forum" at that site.

The listing I found for Melinda Creech was the original thread posted in August 2006....There were no updates.

Please help! :confused:

docwho3
10-06-2006, 02:58 AM
Here are some links, maybe they have already been seen and if so "ooops, sorry 'bout that."

http://www.geocities.com/mindyscandle/latestFindings.html

http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=2265077&ClientType=Printable

http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl/search/web/%252522Melinda%252BKaren%252BCreech%252522/1/-/1/-/-/-/1/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/417/top/-/-/-/1

http://www.bgct.org/TexasBaptists/Document.Doc?&id=366

meggilyweggily
10-06-2006, 06:56 AM
I couldn't find any heading for "The Cabinet" or "The Cabinet Forum" at that site. You have to be a special member to see the Cabinet.

lymom3
10-06-2006, 07:45 AM
I guess that's why the link wouldn't post...I didn't think about that...I'll let you know if I see any updates though....

2sisters
10-16-2006, 09:27 AM
bumping her thread up

2sisters
11-20-2006, 12:08 PM
bumping her up. my thoughts are with the creech family during the upcoming holidays.

Babyslims
08-24-2007, 03:48 PM
not sure if this has been posted but just incase it hasnt i came across this unidentified doe.. and this missing person and it seems on a few sites that there's different answers when it comes to the hair color.... but here's a girll... i think the sketch kinda looks like the missing girl (race says white/hisp for the unidentified and for the missing on 2 of these links.. so that caught my eye too)

Unidentified
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/mpch/UnidentifiedDetails.asp?id=U9105002

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/543uftx.html
missing girl http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PubCaseSearchServlet?act=viewChildDetail&caseNum=1036765&orgPrefix=NCMC&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchLang=en_US

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1297dfin.html

anthrobones
06-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Bumping up

SeriouslySearching
06-11-2008, 08:44 AM
The name Creech caught my attention on another case in Oklahoma recently. Timothy P. Creech is listed as sexual offender and drug dealer. His birthdate is: 01/16/1965

http://docapp065p.doc.state.ok.us/servlet/page?_pageid=394&_dad=portal30&_schema=PORTAL30&doc_num=176500&offender_book_id=219644&imageindex=1

I noticed the mention of Oklahoma early on in this thread. Relative perhaps?!

Odyssey
04-28-2009, 05:15 PM
OK (correction!), i see now that the mother told her remaining children in 1982, that mindy was killed. then the articles about the unidentified homicide victims, and the letter from the detective saying that it wasn't mindy-- that were found later by mindy's brother after their mom's death in 2003- were from the late 80's.
so...... even though their mom- in '82- had not yet followed that lead and reached a dead end,, she could have still told the lie about mindy being found dead, just to end the whole thing. and perhaps she felt in some way, that 'she would have deserved it'.
strange though-- about her protectiveness of the shed with her husband's tools in it- and the fact that mindy's friends were so convinced that it had some connection to her disappearance.. and that 'their beliefs were so strong they said it was if they could hear mindy calling out to them'......!!! what is up with that??
one thing i'm confused about though-- is that the idea of mindy & her mom having a fight & her being killed suggests that she must have come home AFTER being in the detention center.. right? but everything else on her site suggests that she ran away from center, & was never seen again. so i'm not very clear on that.

another thing that really baffles me--- how no one really know if "she escaped or tried to escape" from the center...? how could you not know which one it was? didn't her mother demand answers??? so if she escaped, then she'd either be in hiding (or not) or living under a different identity to this day (perhaps even in another country),, homeless & unaware that people are looking for her, or something bad happened to her out there & she's dead. if she 'tried to escape'.. what does that mean? does that mean she did escape but was brought back? does it mean she was planning to, but was caught? this implies to me that she may have been punished. in mental hospitals, escaping is a very bad thing... because that means the hospital is liable if something happens to you. so normally they take away ALL privileges, or put you in solitary confinement for a few days, or use whatever other punishments they have. and juvenile centers are much the same, if not worse.

Hello,

I have been researching this case for quite some time, but somehow I have never come across the incident about the shed that you refer to. Do you recall where you saw that, or what that was about?? I'd greatly appreciate your help!

Odyssey
04-28-2009, 05:19 PM
also.. what is on the grounds on the old blake house now? is it still a youth center, or changed to something else? has the property around there been searched- are there any woods (or areas that were wooded in '79) or a pond/lake nearby?

In 1977, was the grand opening of the "Blake Home", on the Bronnenberg Campus. (Bronnenberg was the county's only 'official' juvenile home) It was to serve as the juvenile girls home for the county.

(Source: Anderson Daily Herald)

A librarian told me that the name "Blake Home" likely was named for a Mr & Mrs Blake (can't recall their first names off hand) who were once houseparents at the Bronnenberg Home. What confused me though, is why would a juvenile home that opened in 1977 be referred to as the "OLD Blake House"? It seems more likely that the Bronnenberg Campus was the "OLD Blake House" since it was run by the Blakes at one time, as opposed to the NEW Blake House which opened in 1977. Just a theory, of course.

Richard
08-09-2009, 11:51 PM
Melinda Karen Creech
Missing since September 5, 1979 from Anderson, Madison County, Indiana.
Classification: Endangered Runaway

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: September 21, 1965; 9/21/64 in NCIC
Age at Time of Disappearance: 14 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3" (160 cm); 110 lbs (50 kg)
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Light blonde hair; blue eyes. Possibly wavey hair.
Scars, Marks: Previously fractured left arm
Dentals: Available
DNA: In CODIS
AKA: Mindy
Many photos at the below link.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Melinda Creech ran away from home several times. When she ran away from home in 1979 she was never seen again. At least not by her siblings who were led to believe, by their mother, that she had been found dead in New York. This was untrue according to documents found after the mothers death. Creech could use a different last name.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Madison County Sheriffs Office
Detective Callahan
1-765-642-0221
Email
dcallahan@madisoncty.com

NCMEC #: NCMC1036765 NCIC Number:
M-934309782
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case. Source Information:
Melinda Karen Creech
NCMEC
The Doe Network: Case File 1297DFIN

LINK:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1297dfin.html

Lady Stardust
08-10-2009, 09:33 AM
There is already a thread in the missing section:

IN-Melinda Karen Creech, Missing for 24 years - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

:)

Richard
09-02-2009, 08:35 AM
Saturday, 5 September 2009 marks the 30th anniversary of Melinda's disappearance.

theforgotten
10-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Bumping...

Jersey*Girl
07-17-2011, 01:25 PM
Please see the recent posts in the following thread & let me know what you guys think. Could Melinda possibly be, or maybe even know, the following Jane Doe?

LA LA - Bossier Parish - Female 61UFLA, 16-21, Jan 1981 - With braces - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Jersey*Girl
07-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Bumpity Bump

Jersey*Girl
07-17-2011, 08:21 PM
Found another article. This is from 2009. Note: The Blake House For Girls.

http://heraldbulletin.com/breakingnews/x546201367/Anderson-woman-still-hopeful-for-missing-girl-s-return

Quote:

November 9, 2009
Anderson woman still hopeful for missing girl’s return
Detective revisits case when tips come his way
By Christina M. Wright, Herald Bulletin Staff Writer

ANDERSON, Ind. — Twelve poster-sized missing persons decals cover Patti Bishop’s car, but it’s the story of Anderson’s Melinda “Mindy” Creech that has plagued Bishop for 30 years.

The last time anyone saw Mindy, it was Sept. 4, 1979. She was 14 years old.

Thirty years later, native-Andersonian Bishop is keeping hope that she will be found, even though the detective on the case says it may be a body instead of a live person.

“There’s a lot of hope that she’s alive,” Bishop said. “You never give up that hope unless you have physical evidence.”

Bishop founded IN Hope, an Indiana nonprofit organization that searches and advocates for missing people, in 2000 after her stepdaughter’s disappearance. Since then, Mindy has been featured on her car, on her Web site and at her Squeaky Wheel concerts — put on to bring awareness about missing people throughout the nation.

According to police reports, Mindy ran away from home a few times as a child. After stealing motorcycles with another teenager, Mindy was placed in an all-girls detention home — also known as the “Blake House.” On Sept. 4, she disappeared.

“Someone here knows something,” Bishop said. “People are coming back for reunions and to help their family. Someone knows something.”

According to Detective David Callahan, of the Madison County Sheriff’s Department, Mindy’s mother told her siblings that a body found on the East Coast was matched to Mindy’s dental records. But, when their mother died a few years ago, the family found a letter from that agency stating the exact opposite. For all those years, their mother, Shirley Creech, had lied to them and no one knows why.

“It’s awfully suspicious,” Callahan said. “But, other than being suspicious, we don’t have any evidence that the mother had done her any harm.”

He added that the family claimed their mother could be abusive, but even that information cannot confirm or deny that she was involved in Mindy’s disappearance.

“It’s a possibility, but there’s no evidence that we could find,” Callahan said. A phone number for Mindy’s brother was not answered Sunday.

Over the past five years since Mindy’s case landed on Callahan’s desk, he has received about 15 requests from New York to Los Angeles for Mindy’s dental records to be compared with remains. None of them returned as a positive match.

“I revisit it whenever any new tips come in,” he said, noting that the last tip was received about a month ago.

No tips have confirmed or denied whether Mindy was still alive. According to a 1997 study — Case Management for Missing Children Homicide Investigation, abducted children are rarely murdered. However, the study said children who are murdered, are killed within three hours. But, according to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, the chances have gotten better over the years, with 96 percent recovered in 2009.

Callahan said there has not been any activity on Mindy’s Social Security number or with any credit cards for the past 30 years. Unfortunately, he said, a body will most likely be the resolution to his longest missing-persons case.

“You always want to keep your hopes up,” he said. “But, honestly, I think that we’re just waiting for a body to be discovered.”

However, Bishop said it’s 100 percent possible that Mindy is still living. She said, for all anyone knows, Mindy is living right in Madison County with no interest in being found. If that’s the case, Mindy can contact any police agency and tell them as much. She would not face charges.

Bishop said, in that case, she’d still be ecstatic even though the agency wouldn’t tell her where Mindy is.

“It would be tears of joy,” she said. “It would give other families hope. There would just be a flurry of, ‘She’s Alive!’” Although hopeful, Bishop said any possible conclusion would provide “resolution” for the community and family. And, she said, she looks forward to that day.

“Once you’ve been touched by the missing, you just feel different,” she said with a wink.

Contact Christina M. Wright: 640-4883, christina.wright@heraldbulletin.com.

Jersey*Girl
07-17-2011, 08:51 PM
Central Christian Church supports several outreach centers & you homes/detention centers. They encompass several states, make a big positive impact. When Melinda disappeared, could she have been sent to another facility & her mother (Shirley) kept it a secret? Could she have gone to Louisiana or Texas? The link below with the office manager maybe could help us piece something together. I'm supplying this to be thorough. It looks like Cheryl took that position way after Melinda disappeared but she may be able to give us the history behind some things. I would really like to know if the Jane Doe in Bossier LA 1981 could be Melinda. If not, why does she have Goolagona shoes on with some peoples names from Anderson or Nobleville written on them? One of the names is Mike Brisco & he's a member of the Anderson Tennis Club or something like that. There is also a D. Davies - could that be Dawn Davies? When I looked at Michael's Facebook friend's list, I see several names that were supplied as Melinda's friends. Could it be that this Jane Doe is her or could she have known her?

http://www.central-christian-church.com/the_staff.htm

http://www.central-christian-church.com/the_st14.jpg

Snipped:
Cheryl was born into a Disciples of Christ family and, beginning with her great-grandparents, they were members of Central Christian**Cheryl holds*life licenses to direct child care centers in Texas, Washington, and Indiana and has done so.* In Anderson she*worked for Madison Superior Court 2, Director of Bronnenberg Home, and Director of Support Services where she supervised the Children's Home, Blake House for Girls, Boys Residential Unit, Juvenile Detention Center, Counseling Services, Alternative Education Center, and educational, medical, and food service contracts.* Cheryl continued her work in the area of child abuse and neglect as Director of Court Improvement for the State Supreme Court of Wisconsin.* For the past few years, she has been a volunteer for several teams of Central Christian and is delighted to be a part of the office staff.*

Mischa
07-18-2011, 02:00 AM
Please see the recent posts in the following thread & let me know what you guys think. Could Melinda possibly be, or maybe even know, the following Jane Doe?

LA LA - Bossier Parish - Female 61UFLA, 16-21, Jan 1981 - With braces - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community (http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77439)

I'm affraid the real sad thing about Melinda is, that nobody cared enough for her to buy her such an expensive thing as braces.

Jersey*Girl
01-25-2012, 12:21 PM
BuMpItY bUmP

Jersey*Girl
01-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Could this possibly be Melinda Creech? The following Jane Doe died as a result of being hit by a tractor trailer in 1982 in or near Ft Lauderdale, FL. This Jane Doe died on August 3, 1982. The estimated age at death coincides with near closeness to Melinda's proposed birthday. The year of death was 1982 & Melinda's mom Shirley mentioned this year as being when Melinda died, even though Shirley could have been lying. The resemblance is remarkable.

Melinda Creech when she went missing and age progression:
http://doenetwork.org/cases/images/MCreech.jpg http://doenetwork.org/cases/images/MCreech_ap.jpg

This is Jane Doe's composite:
http://www.missingkids.com/photographs/NCMU1106920c1.jpg

Jane Doe's file info from NCM&EC:
http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PubCaseSearchServlet?act=viewChildDetail&caseNum=1106920&orgPrefix=NCMU&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchLang=en_US

JANE DOE1982
Case Type:*Unidentified *
DOB:*Jan 1, 1966 Sex:*Female
Found: Aug 3, 1982 Race:*White
Age Now:*46 Height:* 5'2" (157 cm)
Missing City:*FORT LAUDERDALE Weight:* 110 lbs (50 kg)
Missing State :* FL Hair Color:*Brown
Missing Country:*United States Eye Color:*Brown
Case Number:*NCMU1106920
Circumstances:*On August 3, 1982, this unidentified female died as a result of injuries sustained when she was struck by a tractor-trailer on Interstate 95 in Fort Lauderdale, FL. The decedent is estimated to be between 14 and 17 years of age and had dark blonde or brown hair. She was wearing blue jeans, a dark blue blouse, and brown sandals at the time of her death. The decedent was thought to be a hitchhiker and may have used the name "Donna" during her travels. She was believed to have been in Oklahoma City, OK; Canutillo, TX; and West Monroe, LA prior to her death, and may have been a runaway. The image above is a computer-assisted facial reconstruction created by a forensic artist at the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children. Items such as hairstyle and complexion are the artist's estimations to complete the image, and should not be used as significant markers for identification. The "DOB" and "Age Now" fields are approximations.

Jersey*Girl
01-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Dang - Melinda blue eyes vs Jane Doe brown eyes.

q64ceo
07-29-2012, 09:12 AM
Can anyone tell me what the **** this is about?

http://registry.adoption.com/records/383439.html

Mischa
07-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Can anyone tell me what the **** this is about?

http://registry.adoption.com/records/383439.html

Another attempt to find her?

carbuff
09-19-2012, 01:34 AM
Another attempt to find her?

Yeah, it looks like Darryl Creech filled out the form so he could request any information they have about his sister.

amber1
06-11-2013, 09:28 PM
A message from Melissa or "Mindy's" family:
http://www.oocities.org/mindyscandle/latestFindings.html

annegrete
08-30-2013, 11:36 AM
I want to think the best of Melinda's mother and say that her telling the kids Melinda was eventually found dead was her way of putting closure to such an open, painful wound. BUT, other posts in this thread have made me reconsider.

Did something happen to Melinda at the Browning House? Maybe the mother transported Melinda's body back to the home and buried her under the tool shed?

OR, perhaps after Melinda was released, she had an altercation with her mother, and mom killed her. Melinda's friend's intuition about the shed - how it was like Melinda was screaming- cannot be ignored. Either Melinda was murdered in the shed and moved elsewhere, OR she is buried in the shed, OR tools from the shed were used in the murder (murder and burial took place elsewhere).

Regarding Melinda's lack of orthodontics- maybe the family made plans to get her braces, but she went missing before that happened. Maybe the dentist was waiting for her mouth to finish growing before putting on braces.

amber1
08-30-2013, 08:51 PM
I want to think the best of Melinda's mother and say that her telling the kids Melinda was eventually found dead was her way of putting closure to such an open, painful wound. BUT, other posts in this thread have made me reconsider.

Did something happen to Melinda at the Browning House? Maybe the mother transported Melinda's body back to the home and buried her under the tool shed?

OR, perhaps after Melinda was released, she had an altercation with her mother, and mom killed her. Melinda's friend's intuition about the shed - how it was like Melinda was screaming- cannot be ignored. Either Melinda was murdered in the shed and moved elsewhere, OR she is buried in the shed, OR tools from the shed were used in the murder (murder and burial took place elsewhere).

Regarding Melinda's lack of orthodontics- maybe the family made plans to get her braces, but she went missing before that happened. Maybe the dentist was waiting for her mouth to finish growing before putting on braces.

I have always thought what you just wrote! It is just such a weird situation, and I also agree-that information can't be ignored. With the recent developments in the case of Coral Pearl Hall (Her grandmother was the last to see her. It has been found out she killed Coral, but made her look like a runaway to evade suspicions), this theory cannot be ignored, as painful as it is.

Odyssey
08-30-2013, 08:58 PM

bbm: I'm still trying to figure out what exactly was said about a shed, and where. I saw that someone on this thread referred to her mother not letting people near a shed, but I have looked at the family's website, and all her profiles on the missing person sites and never saw any mention of a shed.

Without knowing where that information came from, I wouldn't put too much weight on it. It may just be that someone was confused with a different case.

annegrete
08-31-2013, 01:09 PM
Thanks for clarifying, Odyssey.

So, removing the shed, let's go back to the House. Maybe Melinda crossed paths with some tough girls during her stay? There can be some rough girls in such places- girls who will do much worse than steal motorcycles (like Melinda and her friend).

First scenario- One of girls has some beef with Melinda. Things get out of hand. Melinda is murdered. Staff covers it up.

Second scenario- Melinda pisses off one of the girls. The girl becomes a "frenemy" while waiting for the opportunity to strike back. After Melinda is released, she meets up with the girl, thinking they will iron things out. Instead, the girl kills her or has someone else kill her.

annegrete
09-02-2013, 01:50 PM
Through google, I discvoered another forum where Melinda's brother posted about the case. He said the police picked her up. He said the police report is "fuzzy" regarding what happened next. Either Melinda ran away upon arrival at the House or while en route.

So that nullifies my theories on mom maybe killing her or other girls from the House.

New theory- met some bad person, died at their hands. Perhaps she was hitching a ride home or away and the driver killed her. Or maybe she went away to clear her head but met with bad people.

If she is alive, then surely she must have been on the streets during her teen life.

Odyssey
09-02-2013, 02:07 PM
Through google, I discvoered another forum where Melinda's brother posted about the case. He said the police picked her up. He said the police report is "fuzzy" regarding what happened next. Either Melinda ran away upon arrival at the House or while en route.

So that nullifies my theories on mom maybe killing her or other girls from the House.

New theory- met some bad person, died at their hands. Perhaps she was hitching a ride home or away and the driver killed her. Or maybe she went away to clear her head but met with bad people.

If she is alive, then surely she must have been on the streets during her teen life.

bbm

It is still possible.

A letter was found in the mother's belongings, which was informing her that Melinda had some sort of legal conference coming up, and that Melinda's mother could be present and/or bring an attorney if she wanted to. This letter was dated AFTER Melinda supposedly went missing. That could mean Melinda was still at the home and did not run away.

Nobody knows if Melinda's mother went to the meeting, or if Melinda even appeared at it.

The thought has been that possibly Melinda's mother signed away her parental rights and Melinda was adopted out, and that Melinda's mother made up the runaway story.

It's also possible that Melinda was released to her mother...

annegrete
09-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Again, thanks for clarifying, Odyssey. Melinda's brother posted in another forum that the letter for the court date was April 1980. The letter was written and sent AFTER September 4, 1979.

This is a very good entry on Melinda. It got me thinking...
http://whereaboutsstillunknown.wordpress.com/2013/03/11/melinda-creech/

My questions now:

1. When was Melinda arrested for stealing motorcycles?

2. Could it be an oversight on the part of the court's administrative staff in writing the notification of the court date? Maybe the person responsible for typing up those letters forgot or wasn't informed that Melinda had been missing.

3. Melinda's mother had dementia. When did she first start exhibiting signs of dementia? It's possible she had dementia from the time Melinda got arrested for stealing motorcycles. Her dementia could have caused her to do something to Melinda, be it murder her or sign over her adoptive rites. Alzheimer's is one type of dementia, and early-onset Alzheimer's can strike people in their 30s. Maybe Melinda's mother had early-onset Alzheimer's. That by no means excuses anything she did to her daughter, but it does explain why she may have done what she did, including telling the siblings that Melinda's remains were found.

4. Melinda had a boyfriend at the Indiana Boys School. What was he doing there?

Odyssey
09-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Again, thanks for clarifying, Odyssey. Melinda's brother posted in another forum that the letter for the court date was April 1980. The letter was written and sent AFTER September 4, 1979.

This is a very good entry on Melinda. It got me thinking...
http://whereaboutsstillunknown.wordpress.com/2013/03/11/melinda-creech/

My questions now:

1. When was Melinda arrested for stealing motorcycles?

2. Could it be an oversight on the part of the court's administrative staff in writing the notification of the court date? Maybe the person responsible for typing up those letters forgot or wasn't informed that Melinda had been missing.

3. Melinda's mother had dementia. When did she first start exhibiting signs of dementia? It's possible she had dementia from the time Melinda got arrested for stealing motorcycles. Her dementia could have caused her to do something to Melinda, be it murder her or sign over her adoptive rites. Alzheimer's is one type of dementia, and early-onset Alzheimer's can strike people in their 30s. Maybe Melinda's mother had early-onset Alzheimer's. That by no means excuses anything she did to her daughter, but it does explain why she may have done what she did, including telling the siblings that Melinda's remains were found.

4. Melinda had a boyfriend at the Indiana Boys School. What was he doing there?

I found an article on microfilm awhile back from when she was picked up for stealing motorcycles. It didn't mention her by name, but other facts in the article confirmed it was her. I'll have to go back and look for the date.

I tend to think that either a sealed adoption took place, or something happened to her while she was at the group home, and it was covered up. The reason I think this is that there has been zero information from authorities - her family has hired a private investigator, sent multiple letters, etc. and they still don't have any confirmation that she ran away at all?

There has to be some reason why they are not cooperative. That, to me, is the most infuriating thing about this case - the answers to this mystery are probably sitting in a file somewhere that nobody will open, and her family gets to spend their lives wondering if she's alive or dead.

MOO, of course.

annegrete
09-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Odyssey,

Can you post a copy of the article here?

Odyssey
09-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Odyssey,

Can you post a copy of the article here?

It was on microfilm so I don't have an image of it, but I did copy it word for word on a notepad, so I can post the contents of it. I need to find it in one of my many notepads...

carbuff
09-03-2013, 03:23 PM
I found an article on microfilm awhile back from when she was picked up for stealing motorcycles. It didn't mention her by name, but other facts in the article confirmed it was her. I'll have to go back and look for the date.

I tend to think that either a sealed adoption took place, or something happened to her while she was at the group home, and it was covered up. The reason I think this is that there has been zero information from authorities - her family has hired a private investigator, sent multiple letters, etc. and they still don't have any confirmation that she ran away at all?

There has to be some reason why they are not cooperative. That, to me, is the most infuriating thing about this case - the answers to this mystery are probably sitting in a file somewhere that nobody will open, and her family gets to spend their lives wondering if she's alive or dead.

MOO, of course.

There's also the possibility that if she went to a group home and cleaned up her life there, that she moved on and didn't want her family to know where she was.

Odyssey
09-03-2013, 03:35 PM
There's also the possibility that if she went to a group home and cleaned up her life there, that she moved on and didn't want her family to know where she was.

The only problem I see with that is that she was only 13. She wouldn't have had the right to decide her family shouldn't know where she is unless they had signed away parental rights, or had parental rights taken away by a court.

That could be the case now, as an adult, that she doesn't want her family to know where she is, but it wouldn't explain the letters bring written by her mother to coroners trying to locate Melinda - or their mother telling her siblings that she was found deceased. Five years (until turning 18) would have been an awfully long sentence for a juvenile attemping to steal motorcycles so I can't imagine they would have kept her there that long.

carbuff
09-03-2013, 05:05 PM
The only problem I see with that is that she was only 13. She wouldn't have had the right to decide her family shouldn't know where she is unless they had signed away parental rights, or had parental rights taken away by a court.

That could be the case now, as an adult, that she doesn't want her family to know where she is, but it wouldn't explain the letters bring written by her mother to coroners trying to locate Melinda - or their mother telling her siblings that she was found deceased. Five years (until turning 18) would have been an awfully long sentence for a juvenile attemping to steal motorcycles so I can't imagine they would have kept her there that long.

I dunno. When I was growing up, once you got sent to girls' school, you stayed there until you turned 18. Lots of girls didn't go home after they got out.

It doesn't sound like Melinda's mother is the most reliable source of factual information.

Odyssey
09-03-2013, 05:13 PM
I dunno. When I was growing up, once you got sent to girls' school, you stayed there until you turned 18. Lots of girls didn't go home after they got out.

It doesn't sound like Melinda's mother is the most reliable source of factual information.

I definitely don't think her mother is a reliable source of information, but I'm trying to figure out why she would have gone to the trouble of writing letters (replies were found after she died) inquiring about Melinda if she didn't really believe Melinda was missing and possibly deceased.

I'd thought about the idea that IF her mother had harmed her, she might have written those letters to appear as though she was in the dark and concerned, but since she didn't show anyone the letters, I'm not sure that would have made sense either.

It's all so strange. I just wish we could get some information from the juvenile system's standpoint... at least then we'd know if she ever actually ran away from the home, if she was at that meeting, etc... Since she was last known to be in their care, I am flabbergasted by the fact that they won't help her family.

annegrete
09-04-2013, 02:47 PM

Never considered that maybe Melinda would have been locked up til she was 18. That certainly puts a new spin on things.

Mom was abusive, dementia or not, so there's no telling what an abusive person will do to get rid of their kid. In this case, "get rid" would mean pretending she ran away and then trying to find her by asking about Jane Doe's. Their mother could have had borderline personality disorder, which would easily explain her actions.

carbuff
09-04-2013, 06:44 PM
Never considered that maybe Melinda would have been locked up til she was 18. That certainly puts a new spin on things.

Mom was abusive, dementia or not, so there's no telling what an abusive person will do to get rid of their kid. In this case, "get rid" would mean pretending she ran away and then trying to find her by asking about Jane Doe's. Their mother could have had borderline personality disorder, which would easily explain her actions.

Was she sufficiently abusive that they would have terminated her parental rights?

Odyssey
09-04-2013, 06:47 PM
Was she sufficiently abusive that they would have terminated her parental rights?

Doubtful that the courts would have terminated her parental rights, since her siblings remained at home.

I do think it's very possible that her parents terminated them voluntarily, though.

annegrete
09-05-2013, 09:51 AM
What do we know about Harold Creech, her father? Was he in the picture when Melinda got arrested? What was his relationship like with his children?

Odyssey
09-05-2013, 12:37 PM
What do we know about Harold Creech, her father? Was he in the picture when Melinda got arrested? What was his relationship like with his children?

From what I was told, he was very 'passive', and did not really stand up to his wife. He would often leave the home for days at a time following their arguments. Melinda's family believes that if their mother knew something, it was kept from their father as well. (Although they have considered that he may have been convinced to sign parental rights away, they feel he would not have harmed her in any way.)

One of the (former) area directors over at the Doe Network has a personal relationship with Melinda's family, and she and I were in contact about this case several years back. I was going to check in with her to see if there have been any updates, but it doesn't look like she's with DN anymore... I think her DN email was the only contact info I had.

I'll see if I can find her and ask her if she wants to join this thread. I know she's a WS member but I can't recall her username. It's probably been around 5-6 years since I last talked to her.

annegrete
09-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Odyssey,
You have been so awesome answering questions and explaining some of Melinda's life.

I work in a high school in special education (learning disabilities, emotional disabilities, Aspergers), so I have to ask, Do we know if Melinda was a decent student? Was she in special education? (High correlation between special ed and juvenile delinquency.) She has a September birthday, so was she going into 8th or 9th grade?

I hope we can talk to the former area director for DN soon.