PDA

View Full Version : NY - Jenni-Lyn Watson, 20, Clay, 19-Nov-2010

Pages : 1 [2] 3

dreamweaver
11-26-2010, 11:48 PM
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/11/police_maintain_hope_for_missi.html

Darby said police have been able to speak with Watson’s local friends and expected to speak with her college friends after the weekend when students return to the Erie, Pa., college.

more..
Watson’s disappearance continued to move people. Yellow ribbons and a search flier could be scene on posts in the subdivision where Watson’s family lives. Every pole, sign post and many trees in the neighborhood sport yellow ribbons, as well. At Friday night’s tree lighting ceremony at Syracuse’s Clinton Square, young women handed out fliers asking for help finding Watson.

eileenhawkeye
11-27-2010, 01:26 AM
According to Kelly Kinahan, family spokesperson, Good Morning America will have a segment on Jenni Lyn's case on Saturday, November 27 at 7-8 a.m.

shefner
11-27-2010, 01:54 AM
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/11/police_maintain_hope_for_missi.html

Darby said police have been able to speak with Watson’s local friends and expected to speak with her college friends after the weekend when students return to the Erie, Pa., college.

more..
Watson’s disappearance continued to move people. Yellow ribbons and a search flier could be scene on posts in the subdivision where Watson’s family lives. Every pole, sign post and many trees in the neighborhood sport yellow ribbons, as well. At Friday night’s tree lighting ceremony at Syracuse’s Clinton Square, young women handed out fliers asking for help finding Watson.

How sad that they haven't spoken to her college friends by now. :( We're 8 days out from this crime.

BrownRice
11-27-2010, 07:42 AM
How sad that they haven't spoken to her college friends by now. :( We're 8 days out from this crime.

I agree. Even if they were out of school last week for the holiday, surely school officials could have given them the students' home phone numbers, right?

jenniferst
11-27-2010, 09:28 AM
I agree. Even if they were out of school last week for the holiday, surely school officials could have given them the students' home phone numbers, right?

Or they could have taken 2 minutes to look at her Facebook friends list and contacted people that way!

hockeymom
11-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Bizarre from day 1.....that LE has kept so much information away from the public. Compare this case to other ones that we have followed through the years.

I will say that on the first day that this case became public, I received a private message from a friend of Jenni-Lyn. The information this individual shared could not be verified by me and the person stated that because of this, the info should be considered "hearsay." Apparently an individual said they saw Jenni-Lyn on the morning of her disappearance and that's all I'll say about that and I only bring it up to show how frightened this person was to openly share something that would be helpful to discuss.

With this in mind, why would LE not reveal more details about this case? The whole public relations aspect of this case is poor. It essentially shuts down the flow of information and prohibits the public from sharing about it. This means the case loses interest and gets lost. If you look back at the recent Hermann/Maynard case, you can see how much more open things were right from the start.
When you say the person was frightened to openly share information,who were they afraid of? A possable perp,or that LE would be angry? I hope this person has shared with LE by now,a possable sighting of Jenni.

sherbetjello
11-27-2010, 10:54 AM
Has there been any media what-so-ever on her parents? I am wondering if they are important people or were important people due to the hush-hush on information (and I really hope it's hush-hush rather than "rut-roh.")

eileenhawkeye
11-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Has there been any media what-so-ever on her parents? I am wondering if they are important people or were important people due to the hush-hush on information (and I really hope it's hush-hush rather than "rut-roh.")

I have not seen the parents mentioned anywhere and I know that Good Morning America (not the segment that was on this morning, but the one a few days ago) said that they were too distraught to be on the show. I don't think the parents' names have even been released. I'm not sure what the reason is for the secrecy surrounding the parents; maybe because she's a 20-year-old adult? I can understand her parents not being able to go on all the news shows but you would think we would know some information about them, such as their names, pictures, etc.

Another thing we don't know is how exactly it transpired that they realized Jenni Lyn was missing. Who came home first? Mom, dad, or sister? Did they call 911 right away or did they wait a little bit in case Jenni Lyn had just left to go to a friend's house or something? I feel that we know that information in every other case but not this one. It's just so vague.

cluciano63
11-27-2010, 12:06 PM
According to the FB page, the family does not want any t-shirts, pages, flyers, etc. except what they personally approve?

I am just missing something here, but don't know what...people are wanting to do something but are being held back...do they have expectations that Jenni-Lynn will be found this weekend? One poster indicated that they were told to hold off on more t-shirts until next week...

hockeymom
11-27-2010, 12:13 PM
According to the FB page, the family does not want any t-shirts, pages, flyers, etc. except what they personally approve?

I am just missing something here, but don't know what...people are wanting to do something but are being held back...do they have expectations that Jenni-Lynn will be found this weekend? One poster indicated that they were told to hold off on more t-shirts until next week...

I'm sorry but something is plain odd about how this case is being handled. Wouldn't you want her picture everywhere and anywhere?
Are they thinking maybe she went somewhere voluntarily and are embarrassed?
The lack of information is staggering to me.

Vresia
11-27-2010, 12:14 PM
A lengthly interview with Sgt D'Eredita is available at:
http://www.9wsyr.com/mediacenter

Click on this video choice on the left:
RAW Video: Jenni-Lyn Watson search update from Sheriff's Department 11-26-10

This interview clarified a couple of things for me.
tape min ~3:20- The area pointed out by the phone records was based on use of the phone on Friday 11/19.
I wasn't certain that the phone usage was on that Fri; I thought it had been reported that the cell was turned on on Wed 11/24- the day that LE first converged at the area. It would be interesting to know the time of the cell use that Friday.

tape min ~5:00- "The investigation up to this point has indicated this is a home event, this is why we're focused here, as opposed to national..."
The belief that this is a local incident is not based exclusively on the Verizon records but on the "investigation up to this point". The focus of the search efforts has not changed since the addition, in recent days, of other county, state and national LE groups on site, including a representative of the Center for Missing and Exploited Children. I wonder if this means that the more experienced investigators that are now involved concur with the assessment that this is local ?

tape min ~7:20- The Sgt elaborated on the clothing description that has been released. He said it is the "last known clothing", what the parents saw her in when they left for work. He said "she may have been in any type of clothing when she left the house".
I assume this means that the sweatshirt, socks, pajama bottoms are missing from the house but that they have not been able to tell if any other clothing is missing.

tape min ~1:20- The search area has been extended to:
Morgan Rd east of Clay
the area between Buckley & 481
and some areas north of Taft Rd
This is a link that shows the parameters of the search as they were defined on 11/23:
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/11/police_others_get_ready_to_sea.html

Vresia
11-27-2010, 12:17 PM

At least one news outlet reported that Jenni-Lyn's father was a local school administrator.

SuziQ
11-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Here is the video link from this mornings GMA report.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/search-missing-ballerina-12254731?&clipId=12254731&playlistId=-1&cid=siteplayer

hockeymom
11-27-2010, 12:37 PM
A lengthly interview with Sgt D'Eredita is available at:

Click on this video choice on the left:
RAW Video: Jenni-Lyn Watson search update from Sheriff's Department 11-26-10

This interview clarified a couple of things for me.
tape min ~3:20- The area pointed out by the phone records was based on use of the phone on Friday 11/19.
I wasn't certain that the phone usage was on that Fri; I thought it had been reported that the cell was turned on on Wed 11/24- the day that LE first converged at the area. It would be interesting to know the time of the cell use that Friday.

tape min ~5:00- "The investigation up to this point has indicated this is a home event, this is why we're focused here, as opposed to national..."
The belief that this is a local incident is not based exclusively on the Verizon records but on the "investigation up to this point". The focus of the search efforts has not changed since the addition, in recent days, of other county, state and national LE groups on site, including a representative of the Center for Missing and Exploited Children. I wonder if this means that the more experienced investigators that are now involved concur with the assessment that this is local ?

tape min ~7:20- The Sgt elaborated on the clothing description that has been released. He said it is the "last known clothing", what the parents saw her in when they left for work. He said "she may have been in any type of clothing when she left the house".
I assume this means that the sweatshirt, socks, pajama bottoms are missing from the house but that they have not been able to tell if any other clothing is missing.

tape min ~1:20- The search area has been extended to:
Morgan Rd east of Clay
the area between Buckley & 481
and some areas north of Taft Rd
This is a link that shows the parameters of the search as they were defined on 11/23:
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/11/police_others_get_ready_to_sea.html

Based on this,because they don't know what she was wearing,she could have been out for a walk for all anyone knows. Some random person could have just abducted her. All along I thought if she was dressed in her PJs it was probably someone she knew who took her from home,but this changes everything. That last ping from her cell could have been her out walking,and using the phone.
I know I am obsessed with what shoes are missing,but also what about a winter jacket? Is the Northface jacket missing?

LLLindsayy
11-27-2010, 12:43 PM
If you do a Facebook search for Jenni-Lyn's full name, you can find a group called Jenni-Lyn Watson's North Face and the description is:

I am looking for Jenni Watson North Face double layer jacket its black, double layer, extra small, and it has her id inside. please return it to me or help look for it.

I don't know why or what this means. I'm just posting this FWIW.

Rhyme & Reason
11-27-2010, 12:50 PM
If you do a Facebook search for Jenni-Lyn's full name, you can find a group called Jenni-Lyn Watson's North Face and the description is:

How odd.

hockeymom
11-27-2010, 12:58 PM

It doesn't give a date as to when that page was made. Maybe she lost her jacket at one point at school and posted that page hoping someone would find it and return it?

On another page I saw someone saying she may have been wearing the northface and black pants when she went missing. Don't know where they cam eup with that?
Did Jenni have a roomate at school? Maybe she would know what clothes of hers are missing? Girls have so many clothes,but maybe she could look thru what was left at schoool and what she brought home and see if something isn't there?

chasing.halos
11-27-2010, 01:09 PM
How odd.

Very odd. There is also a page called Jenni-Lyn Watson Inmabasement. :(
People are very cruel. And odd.

cluciano63
11-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Also on the FB page, someone said that her case will be on America's Most Wanted tonight...which seems odd, if LE is convinced this is a "local event"...

hockeymom
11-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Also on the FB page, someone said that her case will be on America's Most Wanted tonight...which seems odd, if LE is convinced this is a "local event"...

You would think,but believe it or not some people just don't watch the local news. My nephew lives in Syracuse and on Thanksgiving we were talking about the case and he had no idea.I guess thats why I don't understand why anyone would be hesitant to have T shirts,flyers,etc put out. I think the more exposure the more people may remember something. Sometimes I feel like I'm an oddball because I seem to know everything in the news and lots of people I know are completly oblivious to the world around them.

Joe Friday
11-27-2010, 01:18 PM
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/11/searchers_seek_jenni-lyn_at_cl.html

Searchers seek Jenni-Lyn Watson clues at Clay Central Park

Officials searching for Jenni-Lyn Watson combed Clay Central Park this morning, a site east across Henry Clay Boulevard from the wooded tract where the search had gone on most of the past week.

(Snipped)

Officials have said they were attracted to the original search zone, bordered by Henry Clay, West Taft Road, Morgan Road and Interstate 481 because of a transmission of some sort from Watson’s cell phone, a Verizon LG enV3 with a blue cover.

Vresia
11-27-2010, 01:24 PM
I know I am obsessed with what shoes are missing,but also what about a winter jacket? Is the Northface jacket missing?

The shoes ! I thought of you the moment that I heard the Sgt clarify what their description was based on. Jenni-Lyn could have been wearing shoes. They really don't know

Early in the initial FB posts a longtime friend of Jenni-Lyn's said that Jenni-Lyn's sister said there is no Northface jacket missing, or something to that effect.

cluciano63
11-27-2010, 01:29 PM
This is driving me crazy-what does LE mean by what the investigation has revealed so far?? To convince them it is a local case? I do agree, I think it is too, but that is just a feeling. It seems too coincidental that she would just be home from college and then abducted by a stranger...I think she went either willingly or not, with someone she knows, someone who knew exactly when she would be home alone. I am still hopeful that the person who took her is obsessed with her in a way that will keep him from harming her...

I'm also thinking that the phone ended up in the wooded area on the day it was activated, and not Jenni-Lynn. Seems they should have found her by now, even with only a max of 100 searchers.

I cannot understand, at this point, why locals are being kept from searching...a snowstorm is on the way...any help and people on the ground they can get should be taken advantage of...forensics are likely to be comprimised by weather, if that is the big worry-JUST FIND HER-

wfgodot
11-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Body found in search area for Jenni-Lyn Watson

CLAY, NY (WSYR-TV) – A body has been found in a marshy area of Clay Central Park, near the YMCA along Wetzel Road in the Town of Clay. This falls into the search area for missing 20-year-old Jenni-Lyn Watson.

http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/story/Body-found-in-search-area-for-Jenni-Lyn-Watson/jyuxyRaWU0qP-WqAU3Q-qw.cspx

cluciano63
11-27-2010, 01:31 PM
Oh no...word on FB is she has been found in a swamp...unconfirmed...

SuziQ
11-27-2010, 01:34 PM
Oh no, her poor family!

cluciano63
11-27-2010, 01:35 PM
A body has been found for sure...it is on News 9 in Syracuse...has to be assumed to be Jenni-Lynn, I imagine...

dreamweaver
11-27-2010, 01:41 PM
http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/story/Body-found-in-search-area-for-Jenni-Lyn-Watson/jyuxyRaWU0qP-WqAU3Q-qw.cspx

A number of law enforcement agencies, including the Onondaga County Sheriff's Department and the Cayuga County Sheriff's Department are at the scene, crime scene tape has gone up and we're told Air One has also landed at the site.

I think our worst fears have been realized.
Prayers for her family.

dreamweaver
11-27-2010, 01:46 PM
FB posters say the location is behind the YMCA, near Clay Central Park, by the marshy area near Wetzel St.
No formal i.d. at this time.

AnnieOakley
11-27-2010, 01:48 PM
Very odd. There is also a page called Jenni-Lyn Watson Inmabasement. :(
People are very cruel. And odd.

Did you report it to facebook? If you report it as a fake page, they will take it down.

So, so sorry for her family. I know there's no confirmation yet, but they must be absolutely devastated. :(

Vresia
11-27-2010, 01:54 PM
Prayers and love to Jenni-Lyn's family and friends. This is heart-breaking.

AnnieOakley
11-27-2010, 02:01 PM
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/11/officials_find_remains_believe.html

Clay, NY – Searchers found the body of a woman believed to be that of Jenni-Lyn Watson this morning in a swampy area behind a storage shed in Clay Central Park, District Attorney William Fitzpatrick said.
The body was found about 11 a.m. in the park, which is north of Wetzel Road and east of the wooded tract where the search had focused since Watson, 20, disappeared on Nov. 19, Fitzpatrick said.
A positive identification had not been made, but the remains were consistent in age and race with Watson, he said.

bbm

wfgodot
11-27-2010, 02:01 PM
WSYR update:

We're told the area, which is very well-hidden, was not visible until discovered by the Onondaga County Sheriff's Department. Investigators do not have a positive confirmation that this is the body of Jenni-Lyn, but they do suspect it is, based on the location. The family of the 20-year-old has been notified and they will positively identify the remains. An autopsy is planned for later this afternoon.

laytonian
11-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Body found in search area for Jenni-Lyn Watson

CLAY, NY (WSYR-TV) – A body has been found in a marshy area of Clay Central Park, near the YMCA along Wetzel Road in the Town of Clay. This falls into the search area for missing 20-year-old Jenni-Lyn Watson.

Oh, this is heartbreaking.

CLICK HERE (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=4775+Wetzel+Road,+Liverpool,+NY&sll=43.184214,-76.168642&sspn=0.038489,0.072956&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=4775+Wetzel+Rd,+Liverpool,+Onondaga,+New+Yor k+13090&ll=43.152084,-76.183169&spn=0.009627,0.018239&t=h&z=16) for a satellite view of the area.

Vresia
11-27-2010, 02:04 PM
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/11/officials_find_remains_believe.html

Searchers found the body of a woman believed to be that of Jenni-Lyn Watson this morning in a swampy area behind a storage shed in Clay Central Park, District Attorney William Fitzpatrick said.

The body was found about 11 a.m. in the park, which is north of Wetzel Road and east of the wooded tract where the search had focused...

trigger
11-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Oh, this is heartbreaking.

CLICK HERE (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=4775+Wetzel+Road,+Liverpool,+NY&sll=43.184214,-76.168642&sspn=0.038489,0.072956&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=4775+Wetzel+Rd,+Liverpool,+Onondaga,+New+Yor k+13090&ll=43.152084,-76.183169&spn=0.009627,0.018239&t=h&z=16) for a satellite view of the area.

Can you add her home address to the map?

pjsmommy
11-27-2010, 02:08 PM
was just coming to post what i just heard. not how we hoped it would end for sure. im just sick

MCDRAW
11-27-2010, 02:10 PM
Prayers for her family

cluciano63
11-27-2010, 02:14 PM
I hate being such a cynic, but I feared this all along...just so glad they were able to find her before the snowstorm began...

I hope (and believe) they have a suspect and that is what kept them searching in this area; maybe they talked with someone who refused to take a LD for example, or gave conflicting info...LE did seem convinced she would be found in this search area, in spite of a lot of criticism (from me included) about keeping the number of searchers down...

Heartbreaking outcome...and if it turns out to be a case of an acquaintance or former friend who did this...just sickening and another example of an increasingly scary disregard for life in our society...

trigger
11-27-2010, 02:15 PM
If they would have let people help in the search, she would have been found much earlier. Sorry i'm so angry right now.

pjsmommy
11-27-2010, 02:17 PM
I know how you feel but i think they knew way more than we think from the beginning. This whole case has been strange. but they knew.

AnnieOakley
11-27-2010, 02:18 PM
ITA Cluciano and pjsmommy,

I have been wondering a lot about why they limited the number and scope of searchers... I wondered if they were pretty certain she was no longer with us. This search just didn't seem to have the kind of intensity of a rescue, even from very early on. jmo

dreamweaver
11-27-2010, 02:21 PM

We're told the area, which is very well-hidden, was not visible until discovered by the Onondaga County Sheriff's Department. Investigators do not have a positive confirmation that this is the body of Jenni-Lyn, but they do suspect it is, based on the location. The family of the 20-year-old has been notified and they will positively identify the remains.
An autopsy is planned for later this afternoon.

pjsmommy
11-27-2010, 02:23 PM
i said before, this is really close to home. the whole thing has been wierd from the begining. everyone including her parents have kept everything very controlled. who knows what they knew from the start. im sure they were just following police instructions.
i have my feelings on who did this but i will wait and follow the rules myself.

KaylynnCouture
11-27-2010, 02:27 PM
Definitely not the ending we'd all hoped for. So sad. :(

My prayers are with Jenni's family and friends.

KaylynnCouture
11-27-2010, 02:30 PM
(not sure if this has been posted, I apologize if it has)

.."The remains were found at a spot down a slope behind the shed, some 350 yards north of Wetzel Road, They were about two miles north of Watson’s home."

“It appears whoever put her there attempted to conceal her presence there,” Fitzpatrick said. “It appears she was laid flat and covered up with vegetation.”

Snipped from http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/11/officials_find_remains_believe.html

cluciano63
11-27-2010, 02:31 PM
I too think that LE gathered enough info from someone to know the likely outcome and the approximate area where she would be found...and would also explain why the family was keeping a low profile...

trigger
11-27-2010, 02:31 PM
I added her home address to the map

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=4775+Wetzel+Road,+Liverpool,+NY&sll=43.184214,-76.168642&sspn=0.038489,0.072956&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=4775+Wetzel+Rd,+Liverpool,+Onondaga,+New+Yor k+13090&ll=43.152084,-76.183169&spn=0.009627,0.018239&t=h&z=16

sorry I did not do it right.

darlin gal
11-27-2010, 02:33 PM
The remains were found as part of the search routine, not because anyone had pointed authorities to the spot, Fitzpatrick said.

He, his chief assistant, Rick Trunfio, and sheriff’s Lt. Craig Costanzo had been standing Friday about 60 yards from where the remains were found, he said.

“It appears whoever put her there attempted to conceal her presence there,” Fitzpatrick said. “It appears she was laid flat and covered up with vegetation.”

Goes to show you, how you can look "in an area" and yet miss something. It pays to check and recheck when it comes to searching.

Prayers to her family and friends.

I hope they catch the SOB that did this and they are brought to justice.

dreamweaver
11-27-2010, 02:39 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/jenni-lyn-watson-search-remains-found-case-missing/story?id=12255672

Onondaga County District Attorney William Fitzpatrick said the remains of a body inside Clay Central Park, about four miles from Watson's home, have been found.

eileenhawkeye
11-27-2010, 02:40 PM
RIP Jenni Lyn. My condolences go out to her family and friends; she seemed like a great girl from what I've heard about her. I'm very sorry that she wasn't found alive. Hopefully, there will be an arrest soon and justice will be served.

I'm looking at Clay Central Park on Google Maps. LE says her body was found behind a shed covered with vegetation. I'm looking at a Satellite view of the park and there are a lot of buildings but I'm not sure which one is the shed in question. It also doesn't seem like the killer made much of an effort to hide her body. This park has baseball fields, tennis courts, etc so there would plenty of people playing at the park. I'm guessing the killer entered the park at night but there are homes nearby and the YMCA closed at 10 pm that Friday so maybe someone heard or saw something.

cluciano63
11-27-2010, 02:44 PM
LE seems anxious to say that they found her on their own, without help...sensitive perhaps to the criticism on how the searching was handled...but I do think it will come out they at least had good reason to search where they did...

cluciano63
11-27-2010, 02:54 PM
I wonder if she had not had her phone with her...when she would have been found?

laytonian
11-27-2010, 02:57 PM
RIP Jenni Lyn. My condolences go out to her family and friends; she seemed like a great girl from what I've heard about her. I'm very sorry that she wasn't found alive. Hopefully, there will be an arrest soon and justice will be served.

I'm looking at Clay Central Park on Google Maps. LE says her body was found behind a shed covered with vegetation. I'm looking at a Satellite view of the park and there are a lot of buildings but I'm not sure which one is the shed in question. It also doesn't seem like the killer made much of an effort to hide her body. This park has baseball fields, tennis courts, etc so there would plenty of people playing at the park. I'm guessing the killer entered the park at night but there are homes nearby and the YMCA closed at 10 pm that Friday so maybe someone heard or saw something.

WTMA.com (CLICK HERE (http://www.wtma.com/rssItem.asp?feedid=118&itemid=29602835)) has a location clue: "Her family was notified Saturday afternoon, shortly after the discovery in a town park, in a marshy area behind snow-dusted playing fields."

OT rant:
I wish Google news would drop all those cheesy "repeaters" that have stale news posted more recently than the legitimate sources. (examiner.com, ENewsPress, blogs, etc)

wfgodot
11-27-2010, 02:57 PM
“That says it all – how awful,” [District Attorney William] Fitzgerald said.

He declined to comment on whether there was a suspect in her death.

wfgodot
11-27-2010, 02:59 PM
ot rant:
I wish google news would drop all those cheesy "repeaters" that have stale news posted more recently than the legitimate sources. (examiner.com, enewspress, blogs, etc)

LOL. Exactly!

Vresia
11-27-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm looking at Clay Central Park on Google Maps. LE says her body was found behind a shed covered with vegetation. I'm looking at a Satellite view of the park and there are a lot of buildings but I'm not sure which one is the shed in question.

I have been looking at the Google Earth view of the area also & I couldn't pick out the specific spot either. This location was initially reported as : "...found in a marshy area about 300 yards from Wetzel Road in the Town of Clay, near the North Area YMCA" and later said to be: "...down a slope behind the shed, some 350 yards north of Wetzel Road"

In the middle of the fields ~300 yds back from Wetzel Rd (using the Google Earth measurement tool) are several buildings that could be sheds. They are behind the pair of baseball fields. If she was 50yds back from the sheds, the satellite image looks like it is open field. Perhaps it is presently overgrown.

I wonder if that is an area that locals that have used those fields know that they can drive to. There aren't any roads but perhaps people familiar with the park know that it isn't unusal to drive over the grass to get things to the sheds.

With all the densely wooded space just west of the park, I am surprised someone would have chosen a ball field.

eileenhawkeye
11-27-2010, 03:06 PM
I wonder why the body was pretty much in the open? In parks, you have people walking everywhere. All it would take is for someone to kick a ball behind the shed or someone to go play hide and seek and she would be found. It is winter though so I'm not sure how many people spend time in the park this time of the year. There are plenty of woods nearby that the killer could have buried her in and there's even a big lake nearby. I wouldn't be surprised if the killer lives very close by or spends a lot of time in the park or at that YMCA since I've heard that killers like to put their victim's bodies in a place where they are familiar with.

Soul125
11-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Oh no...word on FB is she has been found in a swamp...unconfirmed...

Why does it always end like this more times than not. :banghead:

cluciano63
11-27-2010, 03:18 PM
One article did say there was an attempt to hide the body with brush...with the snow coming in, it is possible she would not have been found until spring if she had not been found today...so maybe the locale was not was not that unlikely of a "hiding" place, considering the weather up there and then duration of snow on the ground in the area once it starts...

trigger
11-27-2010, 03:24 PM
I wonder if they have surveillance cameras at the park? Probably to late though, its been over a week now.

Vresia
11-27-2010, 03:26 PM
The FB site is a mess right now but I remain in awe of what they have accomplished. I have never seen a group pull together so quickly and accomplish so much- especially one comprised largely of strangers. Their goals were to spread the word, stay positive and respect the family's wishes. They have done an amazing job getting flyers printed and distributed. And their success with getting media coverage has been remarkable.

The site also provided a place for the hundreds of people that actually knew Jenni-Lyn to come together for a sense of community and the comfort of feeling like they were doing something

With the size of the group (now over 27,000 members) and the large number of posts, I think they did a great job controlling the riff raff.

eileenhawkeye
11-27-2010, 03:27 PM
One article did say there was an attempt to hide the body with brush...with the snow coming in, it is possible she would not have been found until spring if she had not been found today...so maybe the locale was not was not that unlikely of a "hiding" place, considering the weather up there and then duration of snow on the ground in the area once it starts...

Did it snow anytime from last Friday to today? Was there any prediction of a lot of snow the weekend after she went missing that later turned out to be a fluke? Maybe the killer was expecting that area to be covered in snow a lot sooner? If her body was dumped behind the shed Friday night, then the killer was taking a big risk that no one would come to the park during the week before the snow started. I'm looking at the upcoming week and there are some days where it's supposed to be 45+ degrees so it's not like it's sub-zero temperatures currently.

Perhaps the killer wanted her body to be found? Maybe by a child?

Blue Ridge
11-27-2010, 03:31 PM
This is sooooo heartbreaking. It sounds like this lovely girl had goals for her life, so much promise. I'm so sorry for her family :-(

cluciano63
11-27-2010, 03:32 PM
The weather report from 8 or so days ago just says flurries and possible showers, no real snow expected...

Sometimes I don't think as much thought goes into these things as we imagine...as far as location, especially if a person has killed in some kind of a rage or impulse...

eileenhawkeye
11-27-2010, 03:35 PM
What cases do we know of where the body was left in the open? It may help us to figure out more of a profile of the killer. I know Samantha Runnion's body was in the open; she was a stranger's first murder victim and it was premeditated.

cluciano63
11-27-2010, 03:38 PM
I have a feeling this was not a random abduction/murder...that Jenni-Lynn knew her killer and that LE has an idea of who it is...if not, then they surely handled this case oddly all along...

jaycee
11-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Report: Body Believed to be Missing N.Y. College Student
Published November 27, 2010
FoxNews.com

DEVELOPING: Searchers believe they discovered the body of Jenni-Lyn Watson behind a storage shed in Clay Central Park, The Post Standard reported. The body was found at 11 a.m. in the park, where the search has focused since Watson, 20, disappeared on Nov. 19, the paper said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/11/27/search-missing-new-york-college-student-intensifies/#ixzz16W8udN8a

ThePhantom
11-27-2010, 03:46 PM
I also learn toward the idea that her killer may have been someone she knew. But I'm still hopeful there is DNA as I'm now looking for any connections to Morgan H.

quiqui
11-27-2010, 03:48 PM
I also learn toward the idea that her killer may have been someone she knew. But I'm still hopeful there is DNA as I'm now looking for any connections to Morgan H.

This crossed my mind too. I wonder.

Thinking about Jenni-Lyn's family and friends.

LLLindsayy
11-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Morgan? Why her? That's so far away. Any particular reason?

cluciano63
11-27-2010, 04:02 PM
I think if she was indeed taken or lured out of her house, it makes the idea of a stranger less likely...
But am interested in the truck they are asking about-perhaps they know whose it is, but want to confirm it was there, with other witnesses?

secretagent
11-27-2010, 04:04 PM
God this makes me so da*# angry. Open season on women and children and nothing can stop it. I'll out money on it that it's either an embittered ex or someone who has been "cured" of his previous sexual offender issues and been released back into society. Yet another case of some worthless pieces of garbage whose only possible contribution to society would be as an organ donor. When will this end. So sad for her family and friends, I cannot imagine if this were my daughter. :(

sherbetjello
11-27-2010, 04:07 PM
I have words for the facebook page, but out of respect and during this time it is best I keep my mouth shut.

RIP Jenni-Lyn

cluciano63
11-27-2010, 04:09 PM
God this makes me so da*# angry. Open season on women and children and nothing can stop it. I'll out money on it that it's either an embittered ex or someone who has been "cured" of his previous sexual offender issues and been released back into society. Yet another case of some worthless pieces of garbage whose only possible contribution to society would be as an organ donor. When will this end. So sad for her family and friends, I cannot imagine if this were my daughter. :(

Sadly, this sort of crime is nothing new and has always gone on...we just hear about it more and more these days. Back in Victorian times and earlier, young women were often victims of murder, to cover up the marital crimes of men, protect reputations, etc...

Now, the motives may differ, but it sure seems that women are far too often considered disposable by men, no matter what era...

secretagent
11-27-2010, 04:15 PM
Sadly, this sort of crime is nothing new and has always gone on...we just hear about it more and more these days. Back in Victorian times and earlier, young women were often victims of murder, to cover up the marital crimes of men, protect reputations, etc...

Now, the motives may differ, but it sure seems that women are far too often considered disposable by men, no matter what era...

Women and children are nothing to these "people"

eileenhawkeye
11-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Someone posted on the FB page that they remember seeing a post from someone that said to check a shed/marsh area.

KaylynnCouture
11-27-2010, 04:17 PM
Someone posted this on the FB page:

According to the replies, the comment was reported to LE.

I saw that, and I thought it was suspicious as well.

dr dona
11-27-2010, 04:22 PM
Yes, sadly this is the usual outcome- but, it breaks my heart that such a beautiful artistic young woman could be taken from the world in this manner. I saw some video of Jenni-Lyn dancing and her grace caught my soul. Prayers for her parents and family who lost this glorious young lady----and to her killer--- HOW DARE YOU!!!!!!!

sherbetjello
11-27-2010, 04:22 PM
Someone posted this on the FB page:

According to the replies, the comment was reported to LE.

The mods blocked the person that said this then deleted the comment, as they have with anything that came across to the group/norm as "negative."

KaylynnCouture
11-27-2010, 04:24 PM
As someone on Facebook stated, "rest in peace Jenni-Lyn. Heaven must have needed an angelic dancer"

:rose: Praying for Jenni's family.

cluciano63
11-27-2010, 04:30 PM
Some posters are saying it was not the same area where she was found...others are saying a psychic said "swampy area" while the whole area is swampy, so not very psychic an observation...just a lot of stuff being posted. One poster claims the ex got a lawyer when they asked to search his truck.

eileenhawkeye
11-27-2010, 04:30 PM
The person who posted about seeing the message on FB to look behind a shed just posted another message that said she found the conversation and she called into LE.

I believe I found the post in question. Some man said to check the abandoned buildings near Morgan Road and Route 31. He said he saw a red Dodge Ram there.

daisy7
11-27-2010, 04:39 PM
Peeps -

DO NOT copy and paste from FB. Simply, paraphrase the post and provide a link. Please go self-edit your posts.

Thank you! :)

laytonian
11-27-2010, 04:40 PM
I believe this might be in the post in question:
morgan and 31?

I'm totally confused. That's 4 miles from where the body was found.
CLICK HERE (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=New+York+31+%26+Morgan+Rd,+Clay,+NY+13041&daddr=Wetzel+Rd&hl=en&geocode=FWP4kgIdKgV1-yk_lRj2LOnZiTFqQTDYwJAhKA%3BFdhnkgId64V1-w&mra=ls&sll=43.148844,-76.190014&sspn=0.038511,0.072956&ie=UTF8&ll=43.171383,-76.198425&spn=0.153989,0.291824&z=12) to see the map.

A is the location you're talking about; B is within 350 yards of where she was found.

laytonian
11-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Some posters are saying it was not the same area where she was found...others are saying a psychic said "swampy area" while the whole area is swampy, so not very psychic an observation...just a lot of stuff being posted. One poster claims the ex got a lawyer when they asked to search his truck.

Water, the number 3, and a bridge.
That'll pretty much solve any case, psychicly.

KaylynnCouture
11-27-2010, 04:42 PM
Water, the number 3, and a bridge.
That'll pretty much solve any case, psychicly.

Lol. That was pretty funny, and I agree. It always involves water, a number, and a bridge.

eileenhawkeye
11-27-2010, 04:47 PM
Someone on the FB page posted 22 hours ago that they should check the marsh off of Henry Clay blvd. Henry Clay Blvd is the one of the roads that borders the park where her body was found.

cluciano63
11-27-2010, 04:49 PM
I think there is to be a press conference at 5pm EST according to the FB page anyway...not sure where it will be shown...

wfgodot
11-27-2010, 04:52 PM
A little new material from WSYR:

[Onondaga County District Attorney William] Fitzpatrick says tire tracks were discovered in the area where the body was found and they are investigating whether those are related to the incident. He says the body was haphazardly covered in vegetation. He also says the Sheriff's Department has also recovered significant evidence in relation to this case.

http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/story/UPDATE-Sheriffs-Department-Body-believed-to-be/jyuxyRaWU0qP-WqAU3Q-qw.cspx

eileenhawkeye
11-27-2010, 04:52 PM
I think there is to be a press conference at 5pm EST according to the FB page anyway...not sure where it will be shown...

I'm guessing this is just for the local area but the press conference will be on Digital Channel 9.2, Channel 890 for Time Warner customers, and 470 for Verizon Fios customers. Maybe one of the national news networks, FOX, CNN, or MSNBC will have it too?

KaylynnCouture
11-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Light a Candle for Jenni-Lyn

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=JLW

laytonian
What cases do we know of where the body was left in the open? It may help us to figure out more of a profile of the killer. I know Samantha Runnion's body was in the open; she was a stranger's first murder victim and it was premeditated.

I don't think Jenni-Lyn was in the open: "....in a swampy area behind a storage shed in a local park ... It appears whoever put her there attempted to conceal her presence there ... It appears she was laid flat and covered up with vegetation."
Source: NY Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/11/27/2010-11-27_body_thought_to_jennilyn_watsons_missing_colleg e_student_found_in_swampy_area_ne.html).

Another article (posted here early today) said her body was so well-hidden, that at least one member of LE had stood within 200 feet of it.

Question: were search/cadaver dogs used, and if so, why were they not effective?

cluciano63
On FB, police are quoted as referring to "Jenni-Lynn's killer" so I guess she has been identified...

epiphany
11-27-2010, 04:56 PM
"It appears whoever put her there attempted to conceal her presence there," Fitzpatrick said. "It appears she was laid flat and covered up with vegetation."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/11/27/2010-11-27_body_thought_to_jennilyn_watsons_missing_colleg e_student_found_in_swampy_area_ne.html?r=news

Houston Homer
11-27-2010, 04:59 PM
If any of the locals are watching the presser, would you please report to us what is said? Thanks so much!!

KaylynnCouture
11-27-2010, 05:00 PM
If anyone is watching the presser, can you please post a recap? I can't find an online stream. Thanks!

eileenhawkeye
11-27-2010, 05:01 PM
It looks like FOX is going to show the press conference.

When I turned it on, the reporter said, "...information at any time" and then "We're going to have a live report on this case later on."

epiphany
11-27-2010, 05:01 PM
Fox News Update:

Body consistent in age and race w/JLW
Found in Very wooded area
Autopsy scheduled
Live Update on Fox "later on"

laytonian
11-27-2010, 05:03 PM
If any of the locals are watching the presser, would you please report to us what is said? Thanks so much!!

Since they've stated that they've found "significant evidence" at the scene, I'm hoping they'll announce an arrest.

eileenhawkeye
11-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Fox News Update:

Body consistent in age and race w/JLW
Found in Very wooded area
Autopsy scheduled
Live Update on Fox "later on"

They said the body was found behind a shed in the park. The park is very open; it's not wooded. The wooded area is behind the park. Is there a shed back there?

eileenhawkeye
11-27-2010, 05:07 PM
According to people on FB, the press conference is not on yet so hopefully FOX will cover it when it starts.

epiphany
11-27-2010, 05:07 PM
They said the body was found behind a shed in the park. The park is very open; it's not wooded. The wooded area is behind the park. Is there a shed back there?

A team of 18 searchers found the remains in a heavily wooded area surrounding the park, the sheriff's office said. Fitzpatrick described the area as a spot down a slope behind the shed, some 350 yards north of Wetzel Road, They were about two miles north of Watson’s home.

hndinglove
11-27-2010, 05:10 PM
Cnn.com is streaming it now...

They made an arrest! 21-year-old Steven Pieper. For murder in the second degree.

sherbetjello
Who is watching the presser?

FB comments are saying the bf was arrested for her murder - need confirmation.

eileenhawkeye
They are charging Steven Piper with murder

epiphany
May not have found her cell phone:

Investigators also had asked anyone who had found a cell phone in a blue cover like Watson’s to call them.

hndinglove
11-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Find video under Latest News -- "Live Briefing" is second one down

http://www.cnn.com/

cluciano63
Wow...a FB poster said it would be the guy with initials SP...

Vresia
Question: were search/cadaver dogs used, and if so, why were they not effective?

The area where she was found was east & just outside of the area that was the initial focus of the search. The area where they are indicating that she was found is not where the last cell use was. The way that I picture it, given the route that I believe the killer followed, Jenni-Lyn's body was left in the park and then later, as the killer was driving away, he threw the cell into the heavily wooded area that they have been searching.

TripleA
I think that anyone local who made suggestions of "check the swamp" or "check behind the sheds" is just guessing likely locations due to their own familiarity with the area, not because they were involved or knew anything specific. (Except maybe the alleged comment about seeing a red truck, I did not see that myself).

As I was driving around today, just north of that area, I was thinking about the river, the swamps, the farm land and all of the wooded areas that I was passing. There are so many secluded areas near her home that her killer could have driven 5 miles in several directions and found a decent hiding place.

RIP Jenni-Lyn. Prayers for her family and friends. Such a tragic waste of life. :(

~Lisa~
11-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Video of the area where she was found. Sorry if it's already been posted
http://centralny.ynn.com/content/top_stories/525170/breaking-news--sad-ending-in-missing-woman-case/

RIP Jenni-Lyn :rose:

eileenhawkeye
11-27-2010, 05:12 PM

Her myspace says she loves SMP so I'm assuming SMP is Steven Pieper, her ex boyfriend.

hndinglove
11-27-2010, 05:15 PM
Believe this is his Facebook (it's private):

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=651302812

~Lisa~
11-27-2010, 05:17 PM
SP was their prime suspect.

epiphany
11-27-2010, 05:18 PM
CNN Live Presser:

tracked info from cell phone (Verizon)
"speculating that Ms Watson removed from residence by Mr. P and dumped like garbage by Mr. P..."

hndinglove
11-27-2010, 05:19 PM
All of this is so very sad -- the men at the press conference look so sad. But you can tell that they are *angry* at the situation and what happened, by their language and how they're describing the suspect. They're stressing a lot of information will come out at the trial.

Blue Ridge
11-27-2010, 05:20 PM
CNN Live Presser:

tracked info from cell phone (Verizon)
"speculating that Ms Watson removed from residence by Mr. P and dumped like garbage by Mr. P..."

:furious: :furious: :furious:

~Lisa~
LE: Within a very short period of time (after she was taken by SP) she was dumped like garbage......
Not a lot of blood she ended the relationship in Oct.

laytonian

Well....we all kinda knew that was her boyfriend's initials -- and wasn't he the (unsaid) POI from the start?

Vresia
This is one of the few tidbits that I have found on him online.
http://profiles.berecruited.com/athletes/169372

He was/ is and avid golfer. Into athletics. Perhaps that is how he was familiar with that particular park.

epiphany
CNN Live Presser:

- "things about relationship will come out at t trial"
- "Mr and Mrs W very aware of the relationship; did t best they could to protect their daughter; person responsible for this is Mr. P and nobody else; they did everything appropriate to protect their daughter..."

~Lisa~
11-27-2010, 05:21 PM
CNN Live Presser:

They don't believe she left the house alive!

epiphany
11-27-2010, 05:22 PM
"we do not believe that she left that house alive."
interviewed twice
rep'ed by counsel when interviewed
denied involvement

epiphany
11-27-2010, 05:23 PM
- he drives a Volkswagen, and will be asking public for help
- dark pick-up truck will have a role in the trial for reasons cannot discuss
- dont call us with leads about black pick-up truck

epiphany
11-27-2010, 05:25 PM
- he is not a college student somewhere; he works locally

dreamweaver
11-27-2010, 05:26 PM
Such sad news. I was on FB and saw the update there.
It seemed many of WS's had the right idea. LE and family had a suspect in mind
all along.
No wonder they have been so very quiet..

I am glad she is found.
I am glad her family has an answer.

I can only hope that her ex bf will get the full laser beam of justice.

Prayers for her family.

RIP Jenni-Lyn. You had so much promise.
Dance with the angels.

JoeFromLB
11-27-2010, 05:27 PM
So sad to hear this news...

On her MySpace page, her last login was 10/21/2010, and her mood was "loved".

:cry:

Vresia
11-27-2010, 05:28 PM
The officer at the press conference has been ambiguous about the truck. It will come at the trial but it wasn't involved in the crime and it won't have been at the park. I think that's what he said.

I am wondering if Pieper told them that he saw it when he was leaving Jenni-Lyn's on Fri AM in an attempt to divert attention from himself. I think LE released the truck info to the public as a tool that will be helpful at trial. To trash any defense speculation that there was a possible suspect that was not followed up on.

wfgodot
11-27-2010, 05:31 PM
syracuse.com summary of presser:

Authorities say they have charged 21-year-old Steven M. Pieper, of Coconut Tree Drive, Liverpool, with murder after searchers discovered a body believed to be that of dance student Jenni-Lyn Watson in a park in Clay. They expect he will be arraigned tonight in town court.

District Attorney William Fitzpatrick said Pieper and Watson had been involved in a romantic relatiionship, which Watson decided to end in early October, and Pieper did not take to that well.

Fitzpatrick said that authorities believe Watson was removed from her parent's home by Pieper Friday Nov. 19, and very shortly after, "dumped, frankly like garbage," in Clay Central Park.

"We do not believe she left that house alive," Fitzpatrick said.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/11/body_found_believed_to_be_jenn.html

ETA
38 members and 445 guests on the thread right now - guests, join us at WS!

lilacwine
11-27-2010, 05:31 PM
RIP tiny dancer

ThePhantom
11-27-2010, 05:36 PM
When will this madness stop??!!

eileenhawkeye
11-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Here is his myspace: http://www.myspace.com/stevopipes

It looks like it hasn't been updated in a while but it still might be useful.

laytonian
11-27-2010, 05:39 PM
syracuse.com summary of presser:

Authorities say they have charged 21-year-old Steven M. Pieper, of Coconut Tree Drive, Liverpool, with murder after searchers discovered a body believed to be that of dance student Jenni-Lyn Watson in a park in Clay. They expect he will be arraigned tonight in town court.

District Attorney William Fitzpatrick said Pieper and Watson had been involved in a romantic relatiionship, which Watson decided to end in early October, and Pieper did not take to that well.

Fitzpatrick said that authorities believe Watson was removed from her parent's home by Pieper Friday Nov. 19, and very shortly after, "dumped, frankly like garbage," in Clay Central Park.

"We do not believe she left that house alive," Fitzpatrick said.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/11/body_found_believed_to_be_jenn.html

ETA
38 members and 445 guests on the thread right now - guests, join us at WS!

Not to be blunt, but it takes a special combination of evil and stupid, to kill the girl who just broke up with you.

Did he really think no one would suspect him?

I see on his myspace and FB pages, he likes to show pictures of "hot" cars - rather than himself. Anyone got a picture of <SP? Mod snip> Note: there's more than one myspace page with his name, connected to Liverpool NY - and they all have car pictures.
Meh.

eileenhawkeye
11-27-2010, 05:41 PM
Not to be blunt, but it takes a special combination of evil and stupid, to kill the girl who just broke up with you.

Did he really think no one would suspect him?

I see on his myspace and FB pages, he likes to show pictures of "hot" cars - rather than himself. Anyone got a picture of this slime? Note: there's more than one myspace page with his name, connected to Liverpool NY - and they all have car pictures.
Meh.

Jenni Lyn's myspace has pictures of the two of them together: http://www.myspace.com/hotdancebabe313

lilacwine
11-27-2010, 05:42 PM
There are pictures of him and Jenni on her myspace, plus if you click on the pics in his myspace you can see <SP.> Mod snip

sherbetjello
11-27-2010, 05:43 PM
http://imgur.com/7hUg8.png

Peiper and Watson.

Joe Friday
11-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Second degree what's up with that?? :furious:

RIP - Jenni

epiphany
11-27-2010, 05:44 PM
- "brand new details" supposedly coming up on Fox News next

lilacwine
11-27-2010, 05:45 PM
not premediated, I believe... which I can see...

crime of passion.... he wanted her back.. she said no, someone it escalates and he kills her.

But, he probably went there thinking he'd win her back

laytonian
11-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Jenni Lyn's myspace has pictures of the two of them together: http://www.myspace.com/hotdancebabe313

Thanks.

This is almost exactly what I pictured: Jenni-Lyn and Pieper ("http://www.myspace.com/hotdancebabe313/photos/64157650#%7B%22ImageId%22%3A64157650%7D). He's got a very odd look about him.

Beyond Belief
11-27-2010, 05:48 PM
Have arrested Steven Piper.

laytonian
11-27-2010, 05:49 PM
not premediated, I believe... which I can see...

crime of passion.... he wanted her back.. she said no, someone it escalates and he kills her.

But, he probably went there thinking he'd win her back

Most likely.

Since they said they'd believed she was a crime victim early on, there must have been signs inside the home.
I can't imagine her parents knowing, probably for the last week, that she was killed in their home by Pieper.

epiphany
11-27-2010, 05:50 PM
Fox News Summary:

body is confirmed to be JLW; at med examiner now
treated as homicide
found behind an abandoned utility shed
SP suspect early on; last to see her alive-that morning; not believed to be alive when she left that home
dated off and on for about 18 months; parents were well aware of relationship; did what they could to protect their daughter; SP removed JL from her home, and dumped like trash

hndinglove
11-27-2010, 05:50 PM
Same name as the MySpace account - a bodybuilding blog. Age and location seem to fit --

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/stevopipes/

lilacwine
11-27-2010, 05:53 PM
Shall we take a bit they try to use roid rage as a defense???

JoeFromLB
11-27-2010, 05:53 PM
Thanks.

This is almost exactly what I pictured: Jenni-Lyn and Pieper ("http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/103/l_9cabf2e46634407f9582a4d5a92a491d.jpg). He's got a very odd look about him.

I couldn't see that photo from your link...is this it?:

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/116/m_e1f5062bdaa64572a98b68ab89b1076a.jpg

sherbetjello
11-27-2010, 05:55 PM
Shall we take a bit they try to use roid rage as a defense???

He is too small to claim this "defense", imo.

trigger
11-27-2010, 05:57 PM
CNN Live Presser:

They don't believe she left the house alive!

:eek::eek::eek:

laytonian
11-27-2010, 05:59 PM
I couldn't see that photo from your link...is this it?:

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/116/m_e1f5062bdaa64572a98b68ab89b1076a.jpg

Thanks for letting me know.

I was trying to post THIS PICTURE (http://www.myspace.com/hotdancebabe313/photos/64157650#%7B%22ImageId%22%3A64157650%7D), which is the clearest of him.

dreamweaver
11-27-2010, 06:00 PM
FB poster reports that the ex bf just had his vw taken in by the police dept.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_166720936693987&ap=1

laytonian
11-27-2010, 06:00 PM
He is too small to claim this "defense", imo.

Really. 5'7", 140 pounds. Maybe they can claim "short man's anger".

pjsmommy
11-27-2010, 06:01 PM
so glad they have finally named SP the ex. knew it was him all along. so did the family im guessing

sherbetjello
11-27-2010, 06:07 PM

I think he probably has intense anger issues, thats a given according to what msm is reporting today.
I don't think he meant to killer, tbh, but then again I really don't know. From what I have seen/read around boards and on their mutual friends pages, they never saw this coming from him. They knew he didn't want to end the relationship, but didn't think he was capable of killing her. Some speculated that he did it while a majority of friends said knock it off because they couldn't bring themselves to think that way.

http://imgur.com/7hUg8.png

Again, he doesn't compare much larger than her. I don't think rage from drugs is a defense of any sort. However, jealousy, anger, blind passion - yes. I believe that.

{snipped}

Not defending him of any sort, I need to be clear. Generally, as a rule of thumb, I try to believe the best I can in people until proven wrong. I can't, not just yet, bring myself to believe he is a monster. Murderer, yes. Monster... not yet.

He could pass for any teenager living on my block that cuts my grass..

laytonian
11-27-2010, 06:09 PM
Another thing, he turned himself in. That leads me to conclude that he realized what he did was wrong - he didn't attempt to drag it out longer to see if he wouldn't get caught.

Not defending him of any sort, I need to be clear. Generally, as a rule of thumb, I try to believe the best I can in people until proven wrong. I can't, not just yet, bring myself to believe he is a monster. Murderer, yes. Monster... not yet.

He could pass for any teenager living on my block that cuts my grass..

Good point.
I imagine his lawyer told him to give it up, based on known evidence.

But I'm not as kind as you; I can see evil in many people.
She broke up with him, and we're hearing that her parents were trying to "protect her" during the relationship.
Maybe they knew something, his friends didn't?

JoeFromLB
11-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Thanks for letting me know.

I was trying to post THIS PICTURE (http://www.myspace.com/hotdancebabe313/photos/64157650#%7B%22ImageId%22%3A64157650%7D), which is the clearest of him.

I think I found it!

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/103/l_9cabf2e46634407f9582a4d5a92a491d.jpg

laytonian
11-27-2010, 06:15 PM
I think I found it!

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/103/l_9cabf2e46634407f9582a4d5a92a491d.jpg

That's the one!

(I'd fixed my URL -- didn't it work for you?)

lilacwine
11-27-2010, 06:17 PM
If you look at the body builder page... which shows his progress pictures of his muscular development...

I think roid rage could be attempted as a defense... imo

epiphany
11-27-2010, 06:20 PM
Good point.
I imagine his lawyer told him to give it up, based on known evidence.

But I'm not as kind as you; I can see evil in many people.
She broke up with him, and we're hearing that her parents were trying to "protect her" during the relationship.
Maybe they knew something, his friends didn't?

For whatever reason/s, appears she may have been unable to set him completely loose.

Italicized by me:

District Attorney William Fitzpatrick said Pieper and Watson had been involved in an on-and-off relationship, which Watson tried to end in early October...

Vresia
11-27-2010, 06:24 PM
Another tidbit on him- he was at SUNY Delhi for at least the fall semester of '08.
http://www.delhi.edu/academics/academic_divisions/applied_science_and_recreation/golf_and_plant_science/pdfs/golf-plant-newsletter-f08.pdf (search for Pieper; he won a golf thing)

laytonian
11-27-2010, 06:34 PM
For whatever reason/s, appears she may have been unable to set him completely loose.

Italicized by me:

District Attorney William Fitzpatrick said Pieper and Watson had been involved in an on-and-off relationship, which Watson tried to end in early October...

I've seen that happen, with friends I knew were in bad relationships.

It seems that they couldn't let go, until they had someone else -- and then, that made BF#1 angry. So they'd go back to BF#1 and say "Oh, but he's going to change." Or, "He's going to take me out and we do fun things together."

Luckily, I never lost a friend to BF#1 - but many have.

Vresia
11-27-2010, 06:35 PM
Interesting video. The push to quash discussion of Pieper as a suspect apparently came from the Sheriff's Department.

http://centralny.ynn.com/content/all_news/central_new_york/525170/breaking-news--sad-ending-in-missing-woman-case/?ap=1&MP4

Banshee
11-27-2010, 06:35 PM
I wonder if this was SP's first show of violence against JLW, or were there earlier hints. My niece was murdered by her ex, but there were acts of violence against her which lead to the break-up. When the murder occured we knew right away who did it even though he initially denied it.

laytonian
11-27-2010, 06:37 PM
If you look at the body builder page... which shows his progress pictures of his muscular development...

I think roid rage could be attempted as a defense... imo

Do we know for sure that's him, and those are his pictures?

On myspace, he's 5'7", 140 pounds.
On the creatine page, he says 5'8", 150 pounds.

cluciano63
11-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Another tidbit on him- he was at SUNY Delhi for at least the fall semester of '08.
http://www.delhi.edu/academics/academic_divisions/applied_science_and_recreation/golf_and_plant_science/pdfs/golf-plant-newsletter-f08.pdf (search for Pieper; he won a golf thing)

Yikes, I went there to college many moons ago...:(

laytonian
11-27-2010, 06:41 PM
Interesting video. The push to quash discussion of Pieper as a suspect apparently came from the Sheriff's Department.

http://centralny.ynn.com/content/all_news/central_new_york/525170/breaking-news--sad-ending-in-missing-woman-case/?ap=1&MP4

.....and a good move on their part. Things could get out of hand, he could have fled if they'd named him a suspect, etc.

Vresia
11-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Alittle bit more info on the case
http://www.9wsyr.com/content/news/breakingnews/UPDATE-Ex-boyfriend-charged-in-death-of-Jenni-Lyn/jyuxyRaWU0qP-WqAU3Q-qw.cspx

"Pieper...visited the Watson home along Donegal Way in the Town of Clay sometime between 11am and 12pm on Friday, November 19th; the day Watson disappeared."

"he is denying any involvement in Jenni-Lyn's death"

epiphany
11-27-2010, 06:54 PM
I've seen that happen, with friends I knew were in bad relationships.

It seems that they couldn't let go, until they had someone else -- and then, that made BF#1 angry. So they'd go back to BF#1 and say "Oh, but he's going to change." Or, "He's going to take me out and we do fun things together."

Luckily, I never lost a friend to BF#1 - but many have.

Yes, he probably became obsessive and preoccupied with her living at college. Meeting new guys, new experiences, etc. May not have prevented his loss of control had she cut him off completely. I suspect she and family understood his obsession and preoccupation with her, but who could have forseen it would end like this (until she went missing)? Could have even grabbed her cell phone from her in her home that day, and snapped when/if he saw other guys' names/numbers on it.

fhc
11-27-2010, 06:57 PM
To Steven Pieper,

MAN UP, do something decent if you truly ever cared about Jenni-Lyn.

KaylynnCouture
11-27-2010, 06:58 PM
Woah, so they already charged the ex boyfriend with murder?? This case is developing fast.

epiphany
11-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Mugshot of SP here (Click Images):

http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/story/UPDATE-Ex-boyfriend-charged-in-death-of-Jenni-Lyn/jyuxyRaWU0qP-WqAU3Q-qw.cspx

lilacwine
11-27-2010, 07:04 PM
Do we know for sure that's him, and those are his pictures?

On myspace, he's 5'7", 140 pounds.
On the creatine page, he says 5'8", 150 pounds.

It looks like the same guy to me...

Vresia
11-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Does anyone know if the press conference video is online anywhere ? I missed much of it and would like to see all of it.

Thanks

epiphany
11-27-2010, 07:11 PM
She weighed 100 pounds, and she never saw this coming:

Fitzpatrick says there were no visible signs of struggle from Jenni-Lyn.

http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/story/UPDATE-Ex-boyfriend-charged-in-death-of-Jenni-Lyn/jyuxyRaWU0qP-WqAU3Q-qw.cspx

JoeFromLB
11-27-2010, 07:12 PM
Mugshot of SP here (Click Images):

That's one scary-looking mug shot! He looks angry to me.

epiphany
11-27-2010, 07:19 PM
http://law.onecle.com/new-york/penal/PEN0125.25_125.25.html

New York Penal - Article 125 - § 125.25 Murder in the Second Degree

§ 125.25 Murder in the second degree.
A person is guilty of murder in the second degree when...

JDzWife
11-27-2010, 07:23 PM

Sounds like you are describing Napoleon complex.

A personality complex that consists of power trips and false machismo to make up for short height and feelings of inferiority.

JoeFromLB
11-27-2010, 07:32 PM
http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/stor...WqAU3Q-qw.cspx

"Pieper does not have a lengthy criminal record."

Does that mean he has SOME kind of criminal record, but not a lengthy one?

KaylynnCouture
11-27-2010, 07:34 PM

I read earlier that he had charges from when he was a minor, but that he has none since then.

epiphany
11-27-2010, 07:41 PM
District Attorney Bill Fitzpatrick says Jenni-Lyn Watson and Pieper had an on-and-off relationship over the course of 18 months. He says Jenni-Lyn decided she wanted to end that relationship in early October but that message was not clear to Pieper.

Soul125
11-27-2010, 07:44 PM
Cnn.com is streaming it now...

They made an arrest! 21-year-old Steven Pieper. For murder in the second degree.

Why doesn't this surprise me. How terrible for this young girl to lose her life to somebody she knew, a past boyfriend. What gets me time and time again in these cases is how can somebody be so stupid to kill somebody they know personally, esp right after a relationship has ened. LE is going to look at these people first to rule them out. Are these people really that obtuse that they think they will get away with this sort of crime? :waitasec:

Houston Homer
11-27-2010, 07:49 PM
That's one scary-looking mug shot! He looks angry to me.

Poor Jenni....that was the last face she saw...somebody who she once believed was the person she would love for the rest of her life, and he STOLE that life from her, in what was probably an unimaginably horrific way.
My heart breaks for her family and her dreams. :(

And for a sense of Jenni's humor....on her myspace page she says that her friends call her "'Jen nay' like in Forrest Gump"! My husband and I love that movie, and he (thinks) he does a great FG imitation! :laugh: (at my dh!)

But it made me laugh when I read what she wrote....

Rest in peace funny ballerina.
:rose:

epiphany
11-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Didn't realize this:

Someone other than Watson made the call, Fitzpatrick said.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/11/27/new.york.missing.student/index.html

Wonder who made the phone call from the wooded area if police believe she was dead when SP removed her from her home?

Fairy1
11-27-2010, 07:58 PM
So very tragic to see another beautiful, young woman with a wonderful life ahead of her be murdered by another loser who wouldn't take no for an answer.

I worry sometimes that we have raised a generation of people that are unable to deal with any type of rejection.

Cazzie
11-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Didn't realize this:

Wonder who made the phone call from the wooded area if police believe she was dead when SP removed her from her home?
That is curious, since they say they have not recovered the phone.

cluciano63
11-27-2010, 08:05 PM
So very tragic to see another beautiful, young woman with a wonderful life ahead of her be murdered by another loser who wouldn't take no for an answer.

I worry sometimes that we have raised a generation of people that are unable to deal with any type of rejection.

You could be right...kids are not used to losing at anything as much as we were...they play games without keeping score, etc...some schools won't even allow prizes in various catagories, for fear of upsetting the others...all of this coddling has to have reprecussions...

But I'm sure this guy had some major issues...I wonder why she broke it off with him. Just over a month ago, she seemed to be "in love" with him according to her MS page...

Soul125
11-27-2010, 08:06 PM

I think you are on to something there. So many young people can't deal with a relationship ending. But people move on sometimes and things change whether we like it or not. That is part of life. What a tragic ending to this young life.

epiphany
11-27-2010, 08:07 PM
Investigators believe they know what happened to Jenni-Lyn's phone, but have not retrieved it.

Perhaps, someone unrelated to the case discovered the phone, used it in the area and is now too frightened to turn it in to LE?

shefner
11-27-2010, 08:07 PM
Didn't realize this:

I wouldn't be surprised if the ex didn't turn on Jenni-Lyn's phone to see who she had been speaking with....and if she had been texting any guys. I think SP was a jealous young man. Perhaps he used the phone to dial a preset number that he didn't recognize on her phone, thinking it might be a new beau to J-L.

Kimster
11-27-2010, 08:08 PM

I think it is a mixture of things.

One thing for sure, we really really need to push for ways to protect women and children. I am so angry!!! :furious:

Rest in Peace sweet Jenni-Lyn.

eileenhawkeye
11-27-2010, 08:12 PM
Unfortunately, people have been killing their (ex) significant others for centuries. I don't think it has anything to do with this generation. Besides, the boyfriend is 21 and I believe the coddling started fairly recently; more of a Generation Z than Generation Y thing. I also think the media tends to exaggerate that stuff, like they find one school that doesn't give F's and they make it national news and act like every school in the nation is the same.

epiphany
11-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Divorce is an acceptable option, yet some husbands choose to murder their wives rather than divorce them. Similarly, a generation of females is no longer beholden to men, may owe them no explanation and that may make a certain type of man furious.

KaylynnCouture
11-27-2010, 08:28 PM
That's a game changer.

So SP is responsible for the "mystery truck" theory? Of course. I should've known.

Jenni-Lyn, I'm so sorry this happened to you. :(

epiphany
11-27-2010, 08:32 PM
UPDATE: Steven Pieper pleads not guilty to murder of Jenni-Lyn Watson

http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/story/UPDATE-Steven-Pieper-pleads-not-guilty-to-murder/jyuxyRaWU0qP-WqAU3Q-qw.cspx

He ought to cut his losses. Enough!

KaylynnCouture
11-27-2010, 08:33 PM
UPDATE: Steven Pieper pleads not guilty to murder of Jenni-Lyn Watson

http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/story/UPDATE-Steven-Pieper-pleads-not-guilty-to-murder/jyuxyRaWU0qP-WqAU3Q-qw.cspx

He ought to cut his losses. Enough!

His defense shall be interesting then. Lets all brace ourselves for "the guy in the mysterious truck" did it theory.

cluciano63
11-27-2010, 08:37 PM
I honestly don't think there is a way to tell which men will react with violence, unless of course they have a history of doing so. She probably had no reason to think she was in danger when she let him in, to talk to her. I always worry about my nieces, as many of the boys they've dated in the past seem to become obsessed with them. Somehow it seems that more men are becoming obsessed with girls rather than the other way around, in spite of all of the "not ready to commit" stuff we always hear about. I know my nieces would feel they "owed" it to the guy to talk to him one last time and if I knew it was occurring I would be a wreck until I knew they were safe. But in this case, clearly there was no reason to think anything like this would happen.

Fairy1
11-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Unfortunately, people have been killing their (ex) significant others for centuries. I don't think it has anything to do with this generation. Besides, the boyfriend is 21 and I believe the coddling started fairly recently; more of a Generation Z than Generation Y thing. I also think the media tends to exaggerate that stuff, like they find one school that doesn't give F's and they make it national news and act like every school in the nation is the same.

Of course, it's nothing new. We have a 77-year-old family acquaintance who is currently facing charges in the murder of his first wife - 46 years ago.

But things have changed since I was coming up. Back then, not every kid made the team or was told they were good at something when they obviously weren't. While it may have hurt our feelings, it was a necessary lesson we all had to learn at one time or another. It's fine to build strong self esteem in our children, but not at the cost of valuable life lessons - such as dealing with rejection and controlling your temper.

My kids are 18 and 21. I have always built them up, but they have learned how to deal with disappointment and rejection as well. I can't say the same for ALL of their friends - some of whom have a distinct sense of entitlement.

JMO.

Kaybug
11-27-2010, 08:55 PM
I noticed his eyes in a picture from the link on the previous page. He has the 3 whites.

eileenhawkeye
11-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Of course, it's nothing new. We have a 77-year-old family acquaintance who is currently facing charges in the murder of his first wife - 46 years ago.

But things have changed since I was coming up. Back then, not every kid made the team or was told they were good at something when they obviously weren't. While it may have hurt our feelings, it was a necessary lesson we all had to learn at one time or another. It's fine to build strong self esteem in our children, but not at the cost of valuable life lessons - such as dealing with rejection and controlling your temper.

My kids are 18 and 21. I have always built them up, but they have learned how to deal with disappointment and rejection as well. I can't say the same for ALL of their friends - some of whom have a distinct sense of entitlement.

JMO.

I'm 18 so I'm right around Jenni Lyn and Steven's age. I just graduated from high school and I did not have the experience of being coddled by my school district at all. We had sports teams in middle school and high school and they all made cuts except for Track and Cross Country. We also have an Awards night every year for the seniors and only about 30/450 seniors get awards. In middle school, we all had to go to an assembly where they announced who got honor roll and in high school, they would give us certificates in homeroom and have a big list in the hallway of student's names who made the list. I would say that my experience in the public school system is pretty normal and the ones where everyone makes the team, there are no scores kept in games, etc is not. I think the media tends to exaggerate with this whole, "Everyone in the school gets an A!" just to get people riled up.

eileenhawkeye
11-27-2010, 09:00 PM
His story makes no sense. He saw Jenni Lyn go into a black pickup truck with a man? How would he see that? What was he doing in her neighborhood? He was just driving around, in his ex-girlfriend's neighborhood, when he saw her come out of her house and go into a truck with some guy? Come on already....

cluciano63
11-27-2010, 09:00 PM
I think it is more grade school where the kids are coddled...by high school they have to earn their grades and the separation begins. But some kids never quite grow up and learn to take responsibility for their behavior.

Cazzie
11-27-2010, 09:05 PM
I honestly don't think there is a way to tell which men will react with violence, unless of course they have a history of doing so. She probably had no reason to think she was in danger when she let him in, to talk to her. I always worry about my nieces, as many of the boys they've dated in the past seem to become obsessed with them. Somehow it seems that more men are becoming obsessed with girls rather than the other way around, in spite of all of the "not ready to commit" stuff we always hear about. I know my nieces would feel they "owed" it to the guy to talk to him one last time and if I knew it was occurring I would be a wreck until I knew they were safe. But in this case, clearly there was no reason to think anything like this would happen.
Except for the seemingly possessive messages that someone left on her Myspace in 2009 (which may be from him). There were 2 in a row that sounded like whomever was upset that she came home (presumably from college?) and didn't call them. That would fit with the "on again, off again" nature of their relationship mentioned in MSM (by LE, I think).

Poor Jenni-Lyn. :( Certainly not the first person to ignore warning flags, if that was the case.

eileenhawkeye
11-27-2010, 09:05 PM
I think it is more grade school where the kids are coddled...by high school they have to earn their grades and the separation begins. But some kids never quite grow up and learn to take responsibility for their behavior.

I remember that our grades in elementary school were O, S+, S, and S-. I don't think any of us even knew what they meant (I remember thinking it was weird that we didn't get ABCDF grades) so I suppose that could be an example of coddling. The separation definitely starts in high school; my school was extremely segregated by academic progress. The AP/honors students and the D students never had a class together after we entered HS.

TripleA
11-27-2010, 09:13 PM
I went to Liverpool as well, albeit a long time ago, but I never saw that district as "coddling" either. I think it is a very competitive school. I do think there is a lot of coddling going on these days though and I do think that it messes with the maturity factor of our children. More consequence and less excuses are needed.

If he is found guilty, I hope that he is punished as severely as the law will allow.

KaylynnCouture
11-27-2010, 09:14 PM
Does anyone know when the COD is expected to be released?

hockeymom
11-27-2010, 09:17 PM
So SP is responsible for the "mystery truck" theory? Of course. I should've known.

Jenni-Lyn, I'm so sorry this happened to you. :(

Boy this sounds remarkedly similar to anotherSP(Scott Peterson). Didn't he try to go with a truck was seen with strange people pulling Laci in? I think thats why I was so focused on footware and outerware because if she had left her house alive,she would have had something on. What threw me off was no signs of struggle. Did he just come up behind her and strangle her or something? I can't believe she wouldn't have fought him hard if he didn't take her by surprise. Nothing has been said about any scratches or anything on him has there?

My heart goes out to Jenni's family and friends. How sad that in the 21st century women are still considered property.

nursebeeme
11-27-2010, 09:21 PM
Jenni-Lyn, I have thought about you all weekend while I was away from websleuths and prayed that you would be found safe.

I am so sad you are not safe. That someone took your life.

there is no excuse. you should be dancing.

you should be dancing.

Cazzie
11-27-2010, 09:25 PM
Does anyone know when the COD is expected to be released?
I think one of the news sites said the autopsy is scheduled for tomorrow morning (was supposed to be this afternoon).

KaylynnCouture
11-27-2010, 09:25 PM
Jenni-Lyn, I hope you're dancing in heaven. You will be so missed, by so many people.

:rose:

passionflower
11-27-2010, 09:42 PM

cluciano63
11-27-2010, 09:44 PM
Except for the seemingly possessive messages that someone left on her Myspace in 2009 (which may be from him). There were 2 in a row that sounded like whomever was upset that she came home (presumably from college?) and didn't call them. That would fit with the "on again, off again" nature of their relationship mentioned in MSM (by LE, I think).

Poor Jenni-Lyn. :( Certainly not the first person to ignore warning flags, if that was the case.

I saw that too..but did not want to make it sound like she should have known better or anything like that...even if she knew he was a jerk, knew he was jealous, etc...no one ever expects to be murdered and she may have thought she could handle him...it would be perfectly normal to think that, if they did not have a history of physical violence between them.

TripleA
11-27-2010, 09:46 PM

Fairy1
11-27-2010, 09:51 PM
I'm 18 so I'm right around Jenni Lyn and Steven's age. I just graduated from high school and I did not have the experience of being coddled by my school district at all. We had sports teams in middle school and high school and they all made cuts except for Track and Cross Country. We also have an Awards night every year for the seniors and only about 30/450 seniors get awards. In middle school, we all had to go to an assembly where they announced who got honor roll and in high school, they would give us certificates in homeroom and have a big list in the hallway of student's names who made the list. I would say that my experience in the public school system is pretty normal and the ones where everyone makes the team, there are no scores kept in games, etc is not. I think the media tends to exaggerate with this whole, "Everyone in the school gets an A!" just to get people riled up.

I'm referring to parents rather than school districts. But thanks for the input. Hopefully, you're prepared to deal with the real world!

cwiz24
11-27-2010, 09:55 PM

As I posted earlier in this thread, he was arrested for petit larceny in August of 2010..

Soul125
11-27-2010, 10:11 PM
Jenni-Lyn, I have thought about you all weekend while I was away from websleuths and prayed that you would be found safe.

I am so sad you are not safe. That someone took your life.

there is no excuse. you should be dancing.

you should be dancing.

There is no excuse. I get so frustrated trying to understand why another young person has lost her life for no reason. When someone is that unhappy with their own life, why do they have to ruin somebody's else's life. Just pure selfishness/anger that some people can't control and let loose on others. :furious:

Vresia
11-27-2010, 10:12 PM
ex-boyfriend had claimed he saw her leaving her home and getting into a dark-colored truck with an older man.

Wow ! I wondered if he had done something like that. LE did a beautiful job knocking that potential defense out of the case.

Is that an admission that he was spying on his ex ? Or did he claim that he never saw Jenni-Lyn on Fri because she went off with the older man just as he was arriving ?

Thank you for sharing that info.

Vresia
11-27-2010, 10:21 PM
The press conference is online- listed on the left at

This link has a video concerning tonight's arraignment
http://centralny.ynn.com/content/top_stories/525170/ex-boyfriend-charged-with-second-degree-murder/

The reporter that was at the arraignment said that Pieper's attorney was not present so the judge entered a not guilty plea for Pieper.

RR0004
11-28-2010, 12:31 AM
I think it is a mixture of things.

One thing for sure, we really really need to push for ways to protect women and children. I am so angry!!! :furious:

Rest in Peace sweet Jenni-Lyn.
Oh, Kimster...thanks for saying that. I've been furious all night...so unbelievably senseless.

newshound6
11-28-2010, 12:56 AM
I know this is off topic and isn't adding much to this conversation but I am SO SICK of women & girls being murdered.I am not really a "gun person" at all but this makes me feel like every female should be armed with a loaded handgun and actually use it for protection, that feels like the only way this will stop.

LadyL
11-28-2010, 07:37 AM
gosh, he looks like any college student to me

RIP beautiful Jenni-Lyn

waltzingmatilda
11-28-2010, 08:11 AM
RIP sweet Jenni Lyn. I am so sorry this happened to you. Dance with the angels!

wm

Vresia
11-28-2010, 01:57 PM
As I posted earlier in this thread, he was arrested for petit larceny in August of 2010..

Cwiz- Can you tell me how you located that info ? Several news outlets have said they saw it in the Post Standard archives but I have searched every way I can think of and I can't the original mention of it?

Thanks

laytonian
11-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Cwiz- Can you tell me how you located that info ? Several news outlets have said they saw it in the Post Standard archives but I have searched every way I can think of and I can't the original mention of it?

Thanks

Go to Google and try this search, exactly:

"Jenni-Lyn" larceny

One of the top results will be the Post-Standard article that mentions the larceny charge (where, and when). CLICK HERE (http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/11/body_found_believed_to_be_jenn.html) to read the article.

laytonian
11-28-2010, 03:13 PM
I know this is off topic and isn't adding much to this conversation but I am SO SICK of women & girls being murdered.I am not really a "gun person" at all but this makes me feel like every female should be armed with a loaded handgun and actually use it for protection, that feels like the only way this will stop.

You'd have to have it loaded and in your hand 24/7, to be able to react in time to a surprise attack.

Vresia
11-28-2010, 03:31 PM
"Jenni-Lyn" larceny
One of the top results will be the Post-Standard article that mentions the larceny charge (where, and when).

Hi Laytonian-

Thanks for your post. I wasn't clear with my question. I wanted to know how you find the initial mention of the charges. From back in August.

Even knowing that there is an archived mention of Steve Pieper being charged with petit larceny in August, I cannot find it.

This is really bugging me- I am obviously doing something wrong and I would love to understand my mistake.

Thanks

NoeticSoul
11-28-2010, 03:35 PM

OT/ I share your total frustration newshound. I have two young adult daughters and Aikido (or any martial art, really) comes in very handy during a surprise attack, rather than a gun.. or pepper spray.. that you may not have time to pull out. JMHO

*Speaking from my personal experience with a (former) physically abusive husband.

CocoChanel
11-28-2010, 04:30 PM

"Jenni-Lyn" larceny

One of the top results will be the Post-Standard article that mentions the larceny charge (where, and when). CLICK HERE (http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/11/body_found_believed_to_be_jenn.html) to read the article.

Misdemeanor petit larceny charge...happened in August at a Walmart in Cicero. Maybe discovering this dark side of him led to her breaking up with him. It would certainly give one pause to learn this about someone you thought you loved.

My heart breaks for her family, especially her younger sister who is still in high school.

laytonian
11-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Hi Laytonian-

Thanks for your post. I wasn't clear with my question. I wanted to know how you find the initial mention of the charges. From back in August.

Even knowing that there is an archived mention of Steve Pieper being charged with petit larceny in August, I cannot find it.

This is really bugging me- I am obviously doing something wrong and I would love to understand my mistake.

Thanks

Yes, I misunderstood.
You're looking for the original report, from August -- and not the later references -- right? I can't find it, either, through normal searching on the site or through Google.

BUT....I think I found it another way. Or at least how you can search for it. Syracuse.com (Post-Standard) has a crime archive that you can click through. CLICK HERE (http://www.syracuse.com/crime/index.ssf/2010/08/index.html) for August, 2010. I don't know the exact date, so I didn't go all through it.

ETA: I ended up clicking through all of August and half of July in those archives. I still don't see the initial report of the petty larceny. I also clicked on the crime blogs and reports.

newshound6
11-28-2010, 04:36 PM
OT/ I share your total frustration newshound. I have two young adult daughters and Aikido (or any martial art, really) comes in very handy during a surprise attack, rather than a gun.. or pepper spray.. that you may not have time to pull out. JMHO

*Speaking from my personal experience with a (former) physically abusive husband.

I know it's crazy talk on my part but I do sort of fantasize about giving every girl when they turn 16 a gun and training them to use it-It might change everyone's mindset a little,because as it stands now every female in the U.S. seems to be a target and apparently nobody can do a damn thing about it.I am only half serious-but geez, how many more women have to die before we all as a nation stop accepting this?

laytonian
11-28-2010, 04:54 PM
I know it's crazy talk on my part but I do sort of fantasize about giving every girl when they turn 16 a gun and training them to use it-It might change everyone's mindset a little,because as it stands now every female in the U.S. seems to be a target and apparently nobody can do a damn thing about it.I am only half serious-but geez, how many more women have to die before we all as a nation stop accepting this?

I live in a state that has open-carry and concealed carry permits; we've had an uptick in shootings by CCW holders. A vigilante case in Bluffdale, UT, children who find the loaded-and-ready guns in a parent's room.

I don't think a gun, pepper spray or even martial arts would have saved Jenni-Lyn, or any woman, in an off-and-on relationship.

What saves them, is the courage to break it off, take no calls, KEEP THE DOORS LOCKED, refuse to let them in the house, etc.

Once a relationship is "on and off", that tells the abuser that "NO doesn't really mean NO!! - I can always get her back."

I feel sorry for Jenni-Lyn.
I doubt she felt threatened that morning - but something went wrong.

Maybe I'm just cold, but I never took a boyfriend back, after we'd broken up.

Vresia
11-28-2010, 05:37 PM
I ended up clicking through all of August and half of July in those archives. I still don't see the initial report of the petty larceny. I also clicked on the crime blogs and reports.

Laytonian-

Thank you for joining me in this ridiculous effort. I also went through the individual days of the months in the archived crime news & got nothing.

I have fooled with the urls and done everything else I can think of. I am dying to know how Cwiz and others found the initial article.

We know it is there and still can't find it. What are we missing ?

Thanks again.

laytonian
11-28-2010, 11:33 PM
Laytonian-

Thank you for joining me in this ridiculous effort. I also went through the individual days of the months in the archived crime news & got nothing.

I have fooled with the urls and done everything else I can think of. I am dying to know how Cwiz and others found the initial article.

We know it is there and still can't find it. What are we missing ?

Thanks again.

I think maybe we're misunderstanding "archives"? After clicking through all the crime news in that area, I don't think petty larceny's going to be a news item....but may have been listed one time on the arrest reports.

I'll take it on faith, although the details of Peiper's offense might give us a good clue as to his character in August, and why they broke up.

newshound6
11-29-2010, 12:54 AM
I live in a state that has open-carry and concealed carry permits; we've had an uptick in shootings by CCW holders. A vigilante case in Bluffdale, UT, children who find the loaded-and-ready guns in a parent's room.

I don't think a gun, pepper spray or even martial arts would have saved Jenni-Lyn, or any woman, in an off-and-on relationship.

What saves them, is the courage to break it off, take no calls, KEEP THE DOORS LOCKED, refuse to let them in the house, etc.

Once a relationship is "on and off", that tells the abuser that "NO doesn't really mean NO!! - I can always get her back."

I feel sorry for Jenni-Lyn.
I doubt she felt threatened that morning - but something went wrong.

Maybe I'm just cold, but I never took a boyfriend back, after we'd broken up.

It's not really the murder victim's fault that she didn't break up with him the right way-it's the attitude "if you break up with me I will kill you" that we have all come to just accept from men.Do you realize how complacent we have all become-like any time a young woman goes missing we really all "know" she's been murdered and some guy did it-like of course men are going to just kill woman,we just accept that-that is truly the problem.

Verity
11-29-2010, 02:30 AM
I think maybe we're misunderstanding "archives"? After clicking through all the crime news in that area, I don't think petty larceny's going to be a news item....but may have been listed one time on the arrest reports.

I'll take it on faith, although the details of Peiper's offense might give us a good clue as to his character in August, and why they broke up.

According to The Post-Standard archives, Pieper was arrested in August on a misdemeanor charge of petit larceny at the Walmart in Cicero.

Oh, I do like a challenge! That's something I would expect to see in the local "Police Blotter", but I couldn't bring anything up either. I found a local paper "Liverpool Review", which brought up a result for SP's brother (Honor Roll), but nothing on SP. I also checked the Police Blotter in the Canastota Bee Journal weeks, 32,33 and 36. I couldn't find weeks 34 and 35, but your mileage may vary. I am not in the area, so don't know if there are other local papers, but I'm now thinking it wasn't reported originally at all, and only came out when someone did a background check using a paid subscription service (which I don't have).

amysmom
11-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Re: her Dad & the perp..I wondered what they meant by "the parents did the best they could to protect her" & now I know at least some of it cos my guess is they may have also tried their best to talk her into a 'restraining order' but if she refused to do it their hands were tied due to her age..Young women tend to be naive & don't believe it's necessary to go that extreme..Some don't want to do it out of some kind of misplaced loyalty to their X..Whatever the reason we know for a fact it often doesn't help anyway & sometimes even provokes more anger..It really is like being between a rock & hard place. <sigh>

Fitzpatrick praised the actions of Watson’s parents, David and Jacqueline. They “did the best they could to protect their daughter,” Fitzpatrick said. “Mr. Watson clearly communicated to the defendant that the relationship was over.”

cluciano63
11-29-2010, 10:55 AM
I wonder if there was any history of violence on his part, with Jenni-Lynn? Or just signs of a temper that she saw, but did not see as a physical threat?

I believe the parents may have said what they are alleged to say about protecting her came up when it was stated that they knew he was coming over that morning? Correct me if I am wrong...

Boo Scout
11-29-2010, 11:10 AM
Yes, I misunderstood.
You're looking for the original report, from August -- and not the later references -- right? I can't find it, either, through normal searching on the site or through Google.

BUT....I think I found it another way. Or at least how you can search for it. Syracuse.com (Post-Standard) has a crime archive that you can click through. CLICK HERE (http://www.syracuse.com/crime/index.ssf/2010/08/index.html) for August, 2010. I don't know the exact date, so I didn't go all through it.

ETA: I ended up clicking through all of August and half of July in those archives. I still don't see the initial report of the petty larceny. I also clicked on the crime blogs and reports.

Syracuse.com (Syracuse Post Standard) is probably the best available local paper in the Syracuse area. There is a searchable crime blotter located here:

http://www.syracuse.com/crime/police-blotter/

I searched with "Pieper" in the name field and petit larceny as the crime, and I found an entry for Steven M. Pieper that matches. Happened on July 13, 2010 at the Cicero Walmart - arrest was by the Cicero Police (who have a website but do not appear to have any of their arrest records searchable). That is all the detail provided though so it does not offer much insight.

imamaze
11-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Just posted these in the Media section...

Funeral arrangements set for Jenni-Lyn Watson (http://www.cnycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=544125)
Funeral arrangements have been finalized for murder victim Jenni-Lyn Watson.
Calling hours are scheduled for Tuesday at the Thomas J. Pirro Funeral Home, 3401 Vickery Road, North Syracuse, NY from 3:00 - 7:00pm. Funeral services will be conducted on Wednesday at 11:30 a.m. in St. Margaret's Church, where a Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated, with burial to follow.
More...

Accused killer Steven Pieper left his phone at crime scene (http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/11/accused_killer_left_his_phone.html)
Authorities investigating the disappearance of Jenni-Lyn Watson quickly focused on former boyfriend Steven Pieper because he left his own cell phone in the victim's home, District Attorney William Fitzpatrick said today.
Fitzpatrick also revealed authorities believe Pieper then used Watson's cell phone in an attempt to create an alibi for himself and to focus police attention on someone else.
More...

Friends of Jenni-Lyn never anticipated rocky engagement would end violently (http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/11/friends_of_jenni-lyn_watson_ne.html)
Two days after Jenni-Lyn Watson disappeared, her closest girlfriend from Liverpool High School called Watson’s former boyfriend.
“The sound of his voice just shocked me,” Mallory Otis said. “I was hoping I was wrong. That he would sound upset, and be crying when I called. He acted like nothing in the world had happened.”
More...

KaylynnCouture
11-29-2010, 11:57 AM
He left his cell phone at the crime scene? And then he pleads not guilty?

This should be an interesting trial to watch.... He doesn't sound very smart. What on earth is his defense?

Rest in peace Jenni-Lyn. :rose:

Joe Friday
11-29-2010, 12:34 PM
I wonder if he used Jenni's phone to call his own cell phone in an attempt to locate his phone not realizing he had left the phone behind at her house, thinking he might have dropped it somewhere in the park while unloading her body. Pretty darn stupid of him to leave his phone at her house if he is trying to not get caught after murdering her. I seriously doubt he left his phone at her house on purpose.

He obviously used her phone to call someone else (mostly likely the person that owned a dark pickup) to make it seem that this was the last person Jenni had spoken with and telling LE that he had seen Jenni getting into the dark colored truck with the older person knowing when LE checked her phone records they would see the call to this person and this person just so happened to own a dark colored truck.

ETA: I guess he didn't do his homework on cellular phone pinging and triangulation.

cluciano63
11-29-2010, 02:10 PM
I'm sure the story will be "she was fine when I left her", one we have heard countless times before...good luck with that.

LLLindsayy
11-29-2010, 03:06 PM
I wish more criminals would leave their cell phones at their crime scenes... sure would make things a whole lot easier. I wish I could go to Jenni-Lyn's funeral, but I have classes I really had better attend on the same night here in Albany.

laytonian
11-29-2010, 04:21 PM
I wonder if he used Jenni's phone to call his own cell phone in an attempt to locate his phone not realizing he had left the phone behind at her house, thinking he might have dropped it somewhere in the park while unloading her body. Pretty darn stupid of him to leave his phone at her house if he is trying to not get caught after murdering her. I seriously doubt he left his phone at her house on purpose.

He obviously used her phone to call someone else (mostly likely the person that owned a dark pickup) to make it seem that this was the last person Jenni had spoken with and telling LE that he had seen Jenni getting into the dark colored truck with the older person knowing when LE checked her phone records they would see the call to this person and this person just so happened to own a dark colored truck.

ETA: I guess he didn't do his homework on cellular phone pinging and triangulation.

I'm wondering if he used her phone to send a text to his own phone, maybe even something like "I luv u".

laytonian
11-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Syracuse.com (Syracuse Post Standard) is probably the best available local paper in the Syracuse area. There is a searchable crime blotter located here:

http://www.syracuse.com/crime/police-blotter/

I searched with "Pieper" in the name field and petit larceny as the crime, and I found an entry for Steven M. Pieper that matches. Happened on July 13, 2010 at the Cicero Walmart - arrest was by the Cicero Police (who have a website but do not appear to have any of their arrest records searchable). That is all the detail provided though so it does not offer much insight.

I used that yesterday, and nothing would come up - even when I searched from June through September dates, with his late name.

Today, I repeated the same search four times, and got results.
Go figure.

But after all of that, we don't know anymore than before ;)

I'm wondering if he shoplifted a "better" ring for her, since the last one was a creepy guy lie:

According to Otis, Pieper claimed it cost $500. Then he said $600. Then he said $800. He said he ordered it off the Home Shopping Network.
Otis said Pieper showed her the ring. It was in a box from Piercing Pagoda, a mall kiosk store.

She told Watson she saw the same ring at Piercing Pagoda, and that it cost $29.
“If it cost 10 cents out of a machine, it wouldn’t have bothered her,” Otis said. “But the fact he lied about it did.”

Source: Post-Standard (http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/11/friends_of_jenni-lyn_watson_ne.html)

laytonian
11-29-2010, 04:42 PM
It's not really the murder victim's fault that she didn't break up with him the right way-it's the attitude "if you break up with me I will kill you" that we have all come to just accept from men.Do you realize how complacent we have all become-like any time a young woman goes missing we really all "know" she's been murdered and some guy did it-like of course men are going to just kill woman,we just accept that-that is truly the problem.

I'm not saying it's her fault -- not at all.

I'm not reading that he threatened her life, just that he was possessive and a jerk who lied about things, and was dishonest.

Post-Standard (http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/11/friends_of_jenni-lyn_watson_ne.html).

It's just that "on and off again" empowers the guy; it's a thrill of the chase for him, to get her back. I've seen it happen to friends, and to a particular woman who worked for me.

They were all good, intelligent, caring women....and talented, too.

Joe Friday
11-29-2010, 05:02 PM
I'm not saying it's her fault -- not at all.

I'm not reading that he threatened her life, just that he was possessive and a jerk who lied about things, and was dishonest.

Post-Standard (http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/11/friends_of_jenni-lyn_watson_ne.html).

It's just that "on and off again" empowers the guy; it's a thrill of the chase for him, to get her back. I've seen it happen to friends, and to a particular woman who worked for me.

They were all good, intelligent, caring women....and talented, too.

BBM

There is talk about possibly upping the charge to a more serious charge (first degree murder) depending on what the grand jury says after reviewing the case. This could mean there might be text messages or voice messages sent to Jenni from SP that were of a threatening manner and were retrieved by LE.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/11/accused_killer_left_his_phone.html

He also declined to elaborate further on his Saturday comment that Pieper could face more serious charges once a grand jury reviews the case. The only more serious charge would be first-degree murder under a finding Watson was intentionally killed during the commission of a felony.

Chanler
11-29-2010, 06:03 PM
I'm wondering if he used her phone to send a text to his own phone, maybe even something like "I luv u".

Hi, Laytonian. According to one source, the police said that he did use her phone to text friends. It didn't identify any of the friends. According to another source, he used her cell phone to falsely implicate some one else. (Perhaps "her" text said something about being out with another male.)

I think that it's possible that he left his cell phone accidentally in her house after the crime.

In any case, both cell phones helped implicate him: His phone was discovered by Watson's sister and tied him to the house. And the bings of her phone seemed to have narrowed the area of search.

The pictures of these young woman are heartbreaking; I can't imagine the pain this is causing her family and friends.

(I wrote this before I read Joe Friday's excellent speculations above.)

Joe Friday
11-29-2010, 06:10 PM
Jenni-Lyn Watson's friends describe ex-boyfriend Steven Pieper as obsessed, mentally abusive

Friends of Jenni-Lyn Watson told the Syracuse Post-Standard that shortly after the 20-year-old college junior went missing, they had a feeling her ex-boyfriend Steven Pieper was responsible.

(Snipped)

But Otis said she never thought the relationship would end violently, until she phoned Pieper to talk about Watson’s disappearance.

"The sound of his voice just shocked me. I was hoping I was wrong. [I thought] that he would sound upset, and be crying when I called. He acted like nothing in the world had happened,” she told the newspaper. "He said, 'Yeah, I'm totally devastated.' In the calmest voice I ever heard."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2010/11/29/2010-11-29_jennilyn_watsons_friends_describe_exboyfriend_s teven_pieper_as_obsessed_mentally.html#ixzz16iRlMj fz

hockeymom
11-29-2010, 06:12 PM
This guy was clearly out classed by Jenni and knew it. Sounds like she was infatuated by his attention at 1st,but figured out she had higher standards and wanted something more in life. Not only is he a loser,but he's a not so bright loser. He needs to stay in prison forever,where he belongs.

Chanler
11-29-2010, 07:22 PM
This guy was clearly out classed by Jenni and knew it. Sounds like she was infatuated by his attention at 1st,but figured out she had higher standards and wanted something more in life. Not only is he a loser,but he's a not so bright loser. He needs to stay in prison forever,where he belongs.

They met in high school, but it seems a classic case of an adoring crush ultimately going nowhere or worse. She went away to college; he got a job at a local Pep Boys. She was outgoing, attractive, and interested in the arts. He was jealous, possessive, and obsessed.

He knew that he had to seal the deal quickly; thus the ring and the lies about the cost of the ring.