PDA

View Full Version : Ugly Betty Actor murders his mother

believe09
11-23-2010, 11:06 AM
"PROSPECT HEIGHTS (WPIX) —
Police say an "Ugly Betty" actor held his mother hostage and then murdered her with a samurai sword while screaming Bible passages Tuesday in Brooklyn."

Micheal L. Brea was screaming Biblical phrases when he tood a samurai sword and killed his mother around 1:30AM. First responders had to taser him, and he was taken to King's County Hospital to be assessed.

This is a heartrending story, especially given how inspired he was by his mother...he owns a subway and one Thanksgiving gave away free turkey subs to honor how giving she was... :(

http://www.wpix.com/news/wpix-samurai-sword-son-mother,0,490069.story

Cazzie
11-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Wow...the details are extremely gruesome. I can only conclude (not knowing his psychological background) that he was under the influence of an illicit drug.

believe09
11-23-2010, 11:13 AM
Wow...the details are extremely gruesome. I can only conclude (not knowing his psychological background) that he was under the influence of an illicit drug.

I can see that as well-the only other thing that occurred to me was schizophrenia... :(

Cazzie
11-23-2010, 11:15 AM
I can see that as well-the only other thing that occurred to me was schizophrenia... :(
Right. And/or very deep-seated issues with his mother or other woman/women in his childhood.

songline
11-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Mentally unstable :innocent:
JMHO

Gozgals
11-23-2010, 11:27 AM
A very sad story and he had to be under the influence of drugs or has some mental disorder, maybe schizophrenia. A painful story even to read. May she rest in peace.

Goz

WhyaDuck?
11-23-2010, 11:36 AM
My heart goes out to his twin brother, who lost his mom and his brother (in a manner of speaking) in one fell swoop, just days before Thanksgiving. That's heartbreaking.

Elphaba
11-23-2010, 12:36 PM
How horrible... :(

My thoughts, when I read the article, were along the same lines as Goz's post.

Elphaba
How horrible... :(

My thoughts, when I read the article, were along the same lines as Goz's post.

LaLaw2000
This is bizarre.

Kimberlyd125
11-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Very sad!

nursebeeme
11-23-2010, 05:07 PM
An actor who has appeared in the TV series "Ugly Betty" killed his mother with a samurai sword while screaming Bible passages, New York media outlets reported Tuesday.

Michael Brea, 31, went on a religious rant, ordering his mother to "repent" before stabbing her to death, the Daily News reported.

Sources told WPIX 11 News that Brea used a samurai sword to attack his mother, whose body was found hacked and decapitated.

The victim, identified as 55-year-old Yannick Brea, was dead when officers arrived, WPIX reported.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/11/23/national/main7082710.shtml
-----------------------------

Neighbors of a Brooklyn woman savagely slashed to death by her deranged, sword-wielding son claim cops refused to enter her apartment early Tuesday despite their pleas.

When cops finally got inside the Prospect Heights home, they found Yannick Brea kneeling with fatal lacerations to her head in a blood-spattered bathroom.

The son, holding the three-foot sword and babbling about religion and repentance, was arrested in a nearby bedroom, police said.

"I could hear her groaning inside ... She was still alive, but they wouldn't go in," said Clinton Clare, 52, who lived in the apartment below the Brea family.

Clare estimated police waited an hour before bursting into the apartment, where neighbors heard Michael Brea, 31, delivering a terrifying rant at his doomed mother.

"I heard a 'Help me!' shriek," said Vernal Bent, 18, who lived in the apartment above. "Police kept knocking on the door. Knocking and knocking ... All of us kept saying, 'Open the door.'"

Neighbors said the first screams came from the apartment shortly after 1 a.m., with one man saying he made a 911 call and told where he told a police dispatcher there was blood smeared on an apartment window.

The man said police initially came to the scene and then left - prompting a second 911 call.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2010/11/23/2010-11-23_brooklyn_mom_stabbed_to_death_with_sword_by_her _son_police_say.html#ixzz1695jl34U
--------------------------------------------

another snip from the above link:

He apparently removed the murder weapon from a Masonic lodge after a meeting Monday night and then used it later on his mother, said the suspect's uncle.

Brea was a low-level Mason who was not cleared to take one of the ceremonial swords - typically stainless steel blades with a short, black grip.

"Something happened that made him do it," said Martial Brea. "The devil entered him."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2010/11/23/2010-11-23_brooklyn_mom_stabbed_to_death_with_sword_by_her _son_police_say.html#ixzz1695ykJSy

-------------------------------------------------

Yannick Brea, 55, howled for help that didn't arrive in time to save her. Neighbors said she was a 9/11 survivor who had worked at the Marriott hotel in the World Trade Center.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2010/11/23/2010-11-23_brooklyn_mom_stabbed_to_death_with_sword_by_her _son_police_say.html#ixzz1696D6Yi1
--------------------------------------------------

A Brooklyn man is in custody and undergoing a psychiatric evaluation after police say he stabbed his mother to death with a samurai sword.
Michael Brea, 31, an aspiring actor, is currently in Kings County hospital.

When police entered the apartment on Park Place in Prospect Heights early this morning, they found Yannick Brea, 55, dead with multiple stab wounds.

Neighbors say they heard screaming inside the apartment and could later hear reciting what they believe were Bible passages.

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said Michael Brea was sitting in a chair, holding a Bible and the sword.
http://brooklyn.ny1.com/content/top_stories/129443/brooklyn-stabbing-suspect-undergoes-psychiatric-evaluation/

passionflower
11-23-2010, 05:08 PM
why oh why?????

believe09
11-23-2010, 05:12 PM
I am going to merge this thread with the one we have in Celebrity News

Filly
11-23-2010, 06:18 PM
Apparently this man was not just an actor. He owned a Subway Restaurant. He was very gracious and they mention his mom in the article.

http://www.belfim.com/blog.php/758

Shlock Homes
11-24-2010, 12:22 AM
When I read this I immediately thought of it as some kind of ritualistic murder. He suddenly turns into a murderer after a meeting at the lodge? I wonder what kind of meeting that was.

Another concern was how long it took the officers to enter the apartment. They were there but didn't enter for some 45 min. Perhaps there was a chance to save her? How did it take that long to bring in a tactical squad, if that's what they were waiting for? When you're dealing with a possible hostage situation, isn't time of the essence?

Tuffy
11-24-2010, 01:36 AM
When I read this I immediately thought of it as some kind of ritualistic murder. He suddenly turns into a murderer after a meeting at the lodge? I wonder what kind of meeting that was.

Another concern was how long it took the officers to enter the apartment. They were there but didn't enter for some 45 min. Perhaps there was a chance to save her? How did it take that long to bring in a tactical squad, if that's what they were waiting for? When you're dealing with a possible hostage situation, isn't time of the essence?

I'm wondering too. Neighbors said they could hear him ranting at his mother, and she was screaming for help. They continued to knock. The neighbors wanted the police to just go in. I don't see why they didn't?

Maybe they could have saved her?

STEADFAST
11-24-2010, 01:39 AM
This is one of the rare cases that I think might turn out to be truly a result of a psychotic illness.

Tuffy
11-24-2010, 01:43 AM
This is one of the rare cases that I think might turn out to be truly a result of a psychotic illness.

I think you're right. I really sounds like he was having some sort of episode.

Gozgals
11-24-2010, 05:13 AM
As I read more of this story, I wonder why the police came twice and why they didn't enter the apartment? Maybe, just maybe, the poor woman could have been saved. I hope this is being investigated further.

Goz

newone
11-24-2010, 05:38 AM
latest link on this

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/tv_actor_in_EA9dOyPT2xcsP7bT7TnbUJ

Shlock Homes
11-24-2010, 09:08 AM
If he had a history of psychotic illness, then he should have a history of taking medication too. And they will need to check out his twin brother, since biologically, they will be the same. They haven't said if he had any history of acting out in this manner, that's what makes me wonder if something happened at the meeting. Maybe he was slipped a drug that altered his mental state?

JoeFromLB
11-24-2010, 06:57 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2010/11/24/2010-11-24_swordswinging_ugly_betty_actor_michael_brea_sla ys_mother_for_being_sinner_police.html

Neighbors insisted the brutal killing of Yannick Brea early Tuesday occurred as police ignored their desperate demands to kick in the dying woman's front door.

Neighbors said the cops stood outside the door for close to an hour - and even left the scene at one point - before finally entering.

They discovered the victim with multiple gashes to her head inside the blood-spattered bathroom.

Sydney, whose father owns the building, said his dad gave four cops permission to break down the front door.

"They just kept saying protocol this and protocol that," Sydney added. "Now a woman's dead who should be alive if only the police would have listened."

Kimberlyd125
11-24-2010, 10:14 PM
Some articles say she was decapitated and some say she had multiple gashes to her head.

tlcya
11-24-2010, 10:23 PM

How old is he? I didn't catch it?

Schizophrenia was the first thing that came to mind when I was watching the clip.

Poor dear lady. She sounds like a wonderful, loving supportive lady. If that young man had a disociative break then this is a tragedy for all involved. I wonder if the young man is in his right mind yet and if so what must he be thinking??

The news coverage painted a picture of a young man who is well like, career taking off, loved his mother and openly praised her. This one just makes me sad, not angry.

newone
11-25-2010, 02:11 AM
yet more insight on this tragic senseless murder. Sources say he lost the Subway location to the parent company and $20K is owed; Amercian Express is owed $13K and IRS $2.5K and he was angsting over debts

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/behind_ma_slay_rampage_money_woes_2BVGf1jYfU0ljxb0 MT0wcI

Kaybug
11-25-2010, 05:05 AM
November 25, 2010 1:50 a.m. EST

"Brea is being held at the Bellvue Hospital Psychiatric Ward, after having first been evaluated at Kings County Hospital, according to the spokesman."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/11/24/new.york.sword.murder/index.html?hpt=P1&iref=NS1

Shlock Homes
11-25-2010, 03:44 PM
I wonder if they've done any blood tests on him to see if he was slipped some kind of narcotic? He comes home with a sword, which the lodge claims was stolen, although it's hard to believe when he walked out with such a large weapon. Also, it appears in one of the photos in the link below that he had some smaller masonic weapons. This guy had multiple tools, and he just walked out of a lodge with them?

The headaches before going to bed, then waking up in a frenzied murderous state just sounds like it could also be a drug induced psychosis. It's just too much coincidence that this happens right after he has the lodge meeting, where he somehow walks away with the weapon(s).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1332943/Michael-Brea-Sword-Ugly-Betty-actor-used-kill-mother-with.html

According to that CNN article Kaybug posted, the father is also a Freemason.

tlcya
11-25-2010, 04:55 PM
even if he had no history of psych illnesses in the past, he may have been experiencing symptoms in recent weeks.

Schizophrenia begins in the early twenties, often in highly ambitious, involved, motivated, high functioning young adults, often symptoms will first appear in college or the beginning of their careers taking off. Perhaps linked to the increase in pressures. I am not a mental health professional but I think we may learn this young man had a genuine psychotic break during the onset of a serious mental illness.

Gozgals
11-25-2010, 10:13 PM
I wish we knew what did happen here.

So angry about LE not breaking down the door and possibly saving the woman's life. This has to be looked at.

Also, waiting to find out what exactly was wrong with him that made him go crazy.

So sad to take place around the holidays.

RIP
Goz

Melanie
11-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Wow - this is horrific. If he does have schitzophrenia and also did illegal drugs (pure speculation here), then there was a timebomb ready to go off. Who kills their mother with a sword while spouting bible passages. No One In Their Right Mind.

My heart goes out to the mother.

Mel

Tuffy
11-26-2010, 05:42 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2010/11/26/2010-11-26_i_didnt_kill_her_i_killed_the_demon_inside_her_ psycho_tells_news_in_chilling_det.html?page=1

Speaking with white-hot intensity and unflinching confidence, Brea described a shadowy descent into a world filled with Masonic symbolism and black magic beginning late Sunday when he snapped awake.

"I heard voices telling me how powerful I was, saying 'Oh he's good,'" Brea said.

While recounting the gruesome murder, Brea showed no remorse, and his eyes stayed locked on a reporter.

drip~drop
11-26-2010, 06:57 PM
How old is he? I didn't catch it?

Schizophrenia was the first thing that came to mind when I was watching the clip.

Poor dear lady. She sounds like a wonderful, loving supportive lady. If that young man had a disociative break then this is a tragedy for all involved. I wonder if the young man is in his right mind yet and if so what must he be thinking??

The news coverage painted a picture of a young man who is well like, career taking off, loved his mother and openly praised her. This one just makes me sad, not angry.

He's 31. Usually S shows up in the late teens.
I guess it could show up whenever it wants too also.
jmo

tlcya
11-26-2010, 07:14 PM
wow ty. That is a little old for S but he certainly seems to have suffered some sort of break.

Kaybug
11-26-2010, 07:17 PM
There is a wealth of information on mental illnesses now, not like it use to be. Thank goodness.

"When does schizophrenia start and who gets it?

Schizophrenia affects men and women equally. It occurs at similar rates in all ethnic groups around the world. Symptoms such as hallucinations and delusions usually start between ages 16 and 30. Men tend to experience symptoms a little earlier than women. Most of the time, people do not get schizophrenia after age 45.3 Schizophrenia rarely occurs in children, but awareness of childhood-onset schizophrenia is increasing."

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/schizophrenia/complete-index.shtml

Shlock Homes
11-26-2010, 08:01 PM
This was not a schizophrenic episode.

His family appears to have ties to the freemasons because his father was one. In the NY Daily News article where they interviewed him in Bellevue, he even says the sword was a masonic sword given to him by his father. The father has on the other hand tried to say it was a martial arts weapon. When I think of martial arts I think of asian weapons, and that isn't an asian weapon that was pictured.

The interview also has him mention a dagger, which was also pictured with the sword in those crime scene photos.

You can put this one down as some kind of satanic occult murder, and he was enacting some kind of human sacrifice ritual. I can only guess, but it's possible the father inducted his son or sons (he has a twin brother) in the masons early on, hence the sword gift. For whatever reason he visited the masonic temple, something was done there to him that triggered repressed memories or a split personality. He spoke to his father on the phone hours before the rampage, so that may have also been part of the trigger. Perhaps the 'god' voices in his head were his father's?

Why the lodge would claim he stole it from their premises is odd. Perhaps they want it because of how it was used?

Kaybug
11-26-2010, 08:18 PM
I don't think this was an act related to being a Mason or going to a Masonic meeting.

Tuffy
11-26-2010, 10:59 PM
I'm not sure what I think of it. It sounds like he is still delusional from the interview. He told the reporters about voices. Which sounds like schizophrenia to me. I thought the voices usually mocked the person in schizophrenia though? I think the masons figure into it only because the rituals helped fuel his paranoia. You know, not that they were the cause of it.

bessie
11-27-2010, 01:17 AM
Such a sad, tragic story. I hate to imagine the anguish this young man will feel if he ever regains his faculties and faces the reality of his actions. He obviously loved his mother very much. What a terrible shame.

It's such an inconceivable act that it raises many questions for me.

According to one article, he had no history of mental illness nor violent behavior.
Neighbors and an ex-girlfriend described Michael Brea as a martial arts student who showed no signs of any mental illness and no violent tendencies.Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2010/11/23/2010-11-23_brooklyn_mom_stabbed_to_death_with_sword_by_her _son_police_say.html#ixzz16SFXd3JI

I wonder if he had suffered a head injury in the past. Frontal lobe lesions will sometimes cause sudden psychotic aggression. If he was predisposed to schizophrenia, the stress from his financial misfortune could have triggered it. I'm not a mental health professional, but I do know that most schizophrenia patients are non-violent. Many will become agitated at times, and irrational, but not severely violent. It's also my understanding that when violent episodes do occur, they generally follow a pattern of progression and normally do not appear at the onset of the disease. Schizophrenics who are substance abusers are the most likely to become violent, so I have to wonder if drugs were a factor.

After the Freemason meeting, he called his father from home complaining of a headache. His father told him to lie down and pray.
http://edition.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/11/24/new.york.sword.murder/index.html?hpt=P1&iref=NS1

It was while he was lying in his bed that his mother asked him to drain water from a pot in which she was boiling chickens.

His mother then knocked on the door and asked him to go to the kitchen and pour water from a pot in which she was cooking three chickens.

"I looked at these chickens lying dead in the pot and a voice told me it was a sacrifice. It was black magic," he said.

Brea left the chickens alone and went back to his room. When his mother asked why he did not do what she had asked, he said she spoke with a different voice.

"She had the voice of the demon. I opened the door with the dagger at my side and the sword," he said. Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2010/11/26/2010-11-26_i_didnt_kill_her_i_killed_the_demon_inside_her_ psycho_tells_news_in_chilling_det.html#ixzz16SH8yl fb

I'm just speculating here, but I have a feeling he exhibited delusional or irrational behavior at the masonic meeting, and his father was aware of it (though he certainly could not have predicted what would happen later). As a Catholic, I'm very familiar with the practice of chanting, repeating prayers, e.g. the Rosary, and meditating on symbols to elevate one's state of mind to a spiritual level. Like Catholicism, Freemasonry is heavy on ritual and symbolism. So I wonder, did a ceremony take place at the meeting? If so, did the ritual, the repetitious recitations, for instance, push Brea into an altered state of reality?

Something else came to mind this evening. The other day I read that his mother was Haitian. Then tonight I read about the incident with the chickens which Brea envisioned as "a sacrifice". To me, that suggested voodoo. NOTE: I am in NO way suggesting that Brea or his family engage in black magic, or satanic worship, or any nefarious practice because that is not what voodoo is about. Having lived my entire life in New Orleans with many Haitian friends over the years, what I know as voodoo is a melding of Roman Catholicism and Haitian Creole spirit awareness. Haitian customs would naturally have been present in his homelife to some degree, and again, we have ritual, symbolism, and what many would consider superstition.

I might be blowing smoke, but assuming Brea suffers from a mental illness or organic brain disorder, I can't help but ponder whether or not, and to what extent, religious practice and cultural influence contributed to his condition and state of mind on the night he killed his mother. Regardless, I am so sorry for this fellow and his poor mother, and for their family.

arielilane
11-27-2010, 08:35 AM
It doesn't sound like Mrs. Brea tried to fight back...she was found in a kneeling position. Most likely praying while on her knees.

How horrible of a death. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif

May Mrs. Brea be at peace.

Tuffy
11-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Michael Brea, bit-part 'Ugly Betty' actor, has unwavering support of his family despite killing mom

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2010/11/27/2010-11-27_michael_brea_bitpart_ugly_betty_actor_has_unwav ering_support_of_his_family_despi.html

The family of a sword-wielding psycho suspected of hacking his mother to death pledged their unwavering support for him Friday - despite the gruesome killing.

His family, in their five-paragraph statement, said that was not the Michael they knew.

Tuffy
11-27-2010, 01:22 PM
WARNING: bloody crime scene photos at link!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/galleries/see_inside_house_of_horrors_where_michael_/see_inside_house_of_horrors_where_michael_.html

A Brooklyn apartment is the scene of stomach-turning bloodbath Tuesday. Cops say bit-part actor Michael Brea hacked and slashed his mother to death. Neighbors heard the deranged killer screaming at his mother throughout the ordeal.

tlcya
11-27-2010, 06:38 PM
I don't think I am ready to believe the freemasons are some sort of "cult" encouraging bloodletting.

MOO the Masonic membership is coincidental and in no related to this man's breakdown and murder of his beloved mother.

Herding Cats
11-27-2010, 07:44 PM
I'm not sure what I think of it. It sounds like he is still delusional from the interview. He told the reporters about voices. Which sounds like schizophrenia to me. I thought the voices usually mocked the person in schizophrenia though? I think the masons figure into it only because the rituals helped fuel his paranoia. You know, not that they were the cause of it.

BBM.

Nope. Depending on how the voices manifest, they can be friendly, or commanding, or demanding, or...whatever. They don't necessarily mock the sufferer, but generally do instruct them to do something, often violence, towards someone else. Some do mock, you're right, but not all of them, or not all the time.

Schizophrenia is a definite possibility here. One of the worst mental illnesses a person can suffer...this whole story is just so sad on so many levels.

Best-
Herding Cats

Tuffy
11-28-2010, 12:24 AM
BBM.

Nope. Depending on how the voices manifest, they can be friendly, or commanding, or demanding, or...whatever. They don't necessarily mock the sufferer, but generally do instruct them to do something, often violence, towards someone else. Some do mock, you're right, but not all of them, or not all the time.

Schizophrenia is a definite possibility here. One of the worst mental illnesses a person can suffer...this whole story is just so sad on so many levels.

Best-
Herding Cats

Thank you for answering, Herding. I know it probably sounded like a dumb question. :blushing:

bessie
11-28-2010, 01:56 PM
I don't think I am ready to believe the freemasons are some sort of "cult" encouraging bloodletting.

MOO the Masonic membership is coincidental and is in no way related to this man's breakdown and murder of his beloved mother

I agree, Freemasonry does not encourage bloodletting. It's a coincidence that he happened to join when on the verge of a meltdown. Had he joined a year ago, would he have killed his mother a week later? I seriously doubt it.

Was Freemasonry a causal influence in his mother's murder? That's obvious. We have the sword, the neighbors' account of what they heard, and his own admission.

Brea was a highly suggestible young man suffering from stress, and perhaps the onset of schizophrenia. The Masonic belief system countered that of his Creole Catholic mother. With his judgment already impaired by his mental condition, Brea was tormented by conflict. He finds his mother boiling chickens and believes she is practicing a black magic ritual. This ignites the battle. In the end, the Freemasons won out, but all of the ritual and symbolism meant to enhance the teachings had a very unintended result.

Brea said he is convinced he did the right thing.

"Grand Architect of the Universe means God," he said, referring to an expression neighbors said he shouted as he was being removed from the bloody scene. "I was praising God. To you it might sound silly, but in my culture demons are very real."Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2010/11/26/2010-11-26_i_didnt_kill_her_i_killed_the_demon_inside_her_ psycho_tells_news_in_chilling_det.html#ixzz16baP1k zy

tlcya
11-28-2010, 02:07 PM
sorry Bessie, was not shooting down your theory that in his deluded mind the masonic structure was not a factor, just clarifying my own position/belief regarding the post from shlock that it was some sort of ritualistic murder with ties to genuine masonic order business.

tlcya
11-28-2010, 02:10 PM
btw could you fix your post where you are quoting me? There is a sentence added on the end that is not mine but appears to be as it is quoted in your number 46

Could you please take out the sentence that reads "Had he joined a year ago, would he have killed his mother a week later? I seriously doubt it." as that is not my thought and was not part of my post. tyvm

bessie
11-28-2010, 02:23 PM
btw could you fix your post where you are quoting me? There is a sentence added on the end that is not mine but appears to be as it is quoted in your number 46

Could you please take out the sentence that reads "Had he joined a year ago, would he have killed his mother a week later? I seriously doubt it." as that is not my thought and was not part of my post. tyvm
Sorry, tlc. Don't know how that happened. :waitasec: I think it's right now.

tlcya
11-28-2010, 02:27 PM
TY bessie, it is correctly quoted now. I agree that the masonic membership could very well be a part of Brea's delusional thinking. My post was related to Shlock's suggestion that there was some nefarious masonic ritual that could be blamed but your thought that there is SOME connection between Brea's actions and his membership in the order cannot be ignored.

Shlock Homes
11-28-2010, 02:46 PM
I was hoping that someone would have published the entire 5 paragraph statement. They just printed selected parts. Maybe those other sections speak to his history. Has he ever exhibited signs of mental illness.

One thing about a schizophrenic is that they have difficulty taking care of themselves. They stop washing, they don't groom themselves well. Unless medicated, they probably can't hold a job. There are degrees of it, but considering this man is in his early 30s, there should have been signs of it for over a decade. He couldn't just snap out of nowhere in such a manner.

That's why I'm also wondering if he could be faking. The interview he made from the hospital was a little too perfect, a little too exact for someone schizophrenic. It would be easier to tell if he's faking had it been on video. I'm not saying I'm an expert, I only have dabbled in psychology, but when you deal with the public, you learn to see who's not really all there in the head, and maybe who's faking it.

Why would he do this? Maybe something was promised to him if he did the act. I don't think the mother got along with the father, they were divorced or separated. The freemason and occult murder aspect might still be relevant, but rather than viewing him as a person possessed or hit with mental illness out of the blue, perhaps with his not so spectacular acting career and failed business, he was given this choice to perhaps gain some kind of higher status among the freemasons. Or so he thought. It all depends on how this plays out.

WhyaDuck?
11-28-2010, 03:10 PM
Do we have any evidence or stories of Free Masons killing people for status?

bessie
11-28-2010, 07:35 PM
FWIW, here are a few articles which might shed light on the MB's cultural background, belief system, state of mind, and why traditional medicine was not sought to diagnose/treat previous symptoms (if they occurred):

Culture and Mental Health in Haiti: A Literature Review
2010 World Health Organization

Family and Gender Relations
Craan (2002) underlines the great importance of family in Haitian society, which is heightened in times of stress and difficulties. The family in Haiti is elastic and extended and usually includes a large network of relatives, neighbors, and friends (Dauphin, 2002)...
Middle class families in urban centers are organized around a model combining Haitian and Anglo-American elements. While authority is said to be held by the father, who is often absent, the mother remains the poto mitan, the central pillar of the family. In general, mothers have responsibility for the spiritual and emotional life of the family; fathers are responsible for finances, although mothers take care of the details (Bijoux, 1990, p. 31). Female-headed houses in Haiti are very common, particularly in urban areas (Magloire, 2008). In recent years, the pressures of poverty have disrupted the lakou system, leaving many families without the support and shared parenting afforded by the lakou (Edmond, Randolp & Richard, 2007).

Religion
Religion plays a crucial role in all spheres of Haitian life, including politics, morals and health (Corten, 2000; Hurbon, 2004). Haiti is characterised by religious diversity, including: Roman Catholicism, Vodou (which combines West African traditions and Catholicism), and various Protestant traditions. Catholicism, Vodou and Protestant faiths have evolved in Haiti in interaction with each other and share key symbolic elements
(Brodwin, 1992; 1996). Each religion cannot be understood without taking the others into account (Hurbon, 2001a). Since Catholic and Protestant traditions may be better known to non-Haitian readers, this section will focus on Vodou.

Vodou is widespread in Haiti and is practiced by the majority, including Haitians who identify as Catholics and, to a lesser extent, Protestants (Métraux, 1958). The name “Vodou” stems from the Fon word meaning spirit. The Code Noir of 1685 by Louis XIV made mandatory the conversion of slaves to Roman Catholicism. In an effort to hide forbidden African religious practices, the slaves identified their African deities with the
saints of the Roman Catholic Church. The slaves could then give the appearance of strict adherence to Roman Catholicism, but were able to retain aspects of their West African
religion, which manifested itself in Vodou (Hurbon, 2008).
Vodou is not a homogenous religious system; there is great diversity in regional belief and practice (Najman, 2008). Most people who practice Vodou or “serve spirits” do not speak about it openly with strangers, clinicians, or others outside the tradition. Although individual knowledge and attitudes vary with education and religious affiliation, Vodou is part of the cultural background for most Haitians, regardless of their identity.

Psychosis
When people have suffered repeated psychotic episodes and their functioning is impaired, they may be labeled ‘fou’ (crazy) and viewed as permanently dysfunctional. Their cognitive ability and judgment may never be trusted again, even after a long period of remission. This is a loss for the family especially in first episode psychoses where the person had a promising future (in terms of education and career) (Desrosiers & Feurose, 2002)...

The symptoms that characterize schizophrenia are based on concepts of self and non-self. In Euro-American cultures,
thinking that the some entity other than the self has thoughts, feelings and goals can be seen as pathological, magical thinking or evidence of a psychotic thought disorder. However, in Haitian culture, thoughts, feelings and agency may be ascribed to invisible spirits or to the magical action of others. Diagnostic assessment, therefore, must not look
only at the form, but also at the theme or the content of the behavior exhibited by the person. The same behavior characteristic of schizophrenia in Europe or North America can be representative of normal spiritual and religious beliefs in Haitian culture, for example communication with and appeasement of deceased relatives who live on as ancestral spirits (Miller, 2000).

In the Haitian context, it is particularly important to distinguish spiritual practices from psychological or psychiatric problems. If religion is ignored, misinterpretation of spiritual experiences and explanations can lead to misdiagnosis and mistreatment (Azaunce, 1995). The person who says “I see the evil spirit in my house” or “God came to me and told me to give up my job, so I did” may not be delusional or hallucinating
(Gopaul-McNicol, 1997, p. 44).

In religious practices that involve possession, a spirit can enter a member of the congregation to punish, reward, treat or cure another member of the congregation. As such, it is important to distinguish between negative possession experiences (by an evil spirit) which may be best dealt with by spiritual healers, and experiences of possession associated with schizophrenia, which are usually accompanied by a broader range of symptoms including blunted affect, thought disorder, deterioration in functioning, social withdrawal and poverty of speech (Azaunce, 1995).
http://www.who.int/mental_health/emergencies/culture_mental_health_haiti_eng.pdf

Culture-Bound Syndromes

The definition and expression of mental illness varies around the world. According to the DSM-IV, "Although presentations conforming to the major DSM-IV categories can be found throughout the world, the particular symptoms, course, and social response are very often influenced by local cultural factors. In contrast, culture-bound syndromes are generally limited to specific societies or culture area and are localized, folk, diagnostic categories that frame coherent meanings for certain repetitive, patterned, and troubling sets of experiences and observations."

Boufée delirante (West Africa, Haiti)
A sudden outburst of agitated and aggressive behavior, marked confusion and psychomotor excitement. It is an acute, nonaffective and non-schizophrenic psychosis, accompanied by visual and auditory hallucinations and/or paranoid ideation. A distinctive feature is a complete remission after an acute episode.

Patients are typically under age 30, and do not have previous diagnoses of psychological or neurological disorders. It strikes "like a thunderbolt." Duration is typically brief, and the patient may never have another episode.

This term was used in French psychology for some time, but is now declining. Although the DSM-IV lists West Africa and Haiti as locations, it appears to be more widespread across the Caribbean and areas that have traditionally been associated with French occupation, and within France itself. Source 1, 2.

http://rjg42.tripod.com/culturebound_syndromes.htm

Bouffée Délirante (Acute Delusional Psychosis) Since it has been recognized that tardive dyskinesia
may develop as a serious complication in a significant minority of patients with schizophrenia on
maintenance therapy with antipsychotic drugs, it has become even more important to make a correct
initial diagnosis. In French psychiatry the condition known as acute delusional psychosis, or bouffée
délirante, is not included in the diagnosis of schizophrenia. Rather, bouffée délirante is considered a
disease entity in its own right, a psychiatric disorder that does not require maintenance pharmacotherapy.
The following are essential criteria for the diagnosis of bouffée délirante, not all of which need to be
present: (1) frequent background of personality disorder; (2) absence of a schizoid premorbid
personality; (3) sudden onset; (4) duration of less than 3 months; (5) spontaneous return to premorbid
level of adjustment, even without specific antipsychotic treatment; (6) polymorphous symptoms, a
disorderly (kaleidoscopic) succession of differing delusional contents; (7) a fascinating intensity of the
delusional experience; (8) oscillations between insight and delusion; (9) mood alterations and
fluctuations; (10) increase in delusions in sleep-related states; and (11) sudden termination after days or
weeks (rarely months).
Accordingly, bouffée délirante episodes belong to the schizophrenic spectrum disorders. In American
clinical practice those episodes are usually diagnosed as schizophreniform disorder.. French psychiatrists
report that about 40 percent of patients with the diagnosis bouffée délirante are later reclassified as
suffering from schizophrenia.

http://www.brown.edu/Courses/BI_278/Other/Teaching%20examples/Brain%20and%20Behavior/articles/schiz_clin.pdf

tlcya
11-28-2010, 07:57 PM
exactly, ty so much for taking the time to research that! So in addition to the usual societal stigma associated with reporting that you are hearing voices, due to a hatian background in the family, even if he was exhibitting symptoms of mental illness they may not have been identified as such but rather explained by a Hatian belief structure.

WhyaDuck?
11-28-2010, 08:05 PM
I have done a lot of work with Haitian vodun, and it does have a bad wrap. But it has been used in terrible ways on the people of Haiti by leaders who did not have their best interests at heart, sadly.

I only know the basics about culture bound syndromes. My instinct is that they are less dominant over people not actually born within the affected culture, but then I think about various syndromes amongst the descendants of genocide survivors, and I pause. Parents and grandparents can pass down quite a bit of the homeland through not just their teachings but the general home atmosphere.

It's a sad case, whatever the motivation.

bessie
11-28-2010, 08:22 PM
exactly, ty so much for taking the time to research that! So in addition to the usual societal stigma associated with reporting that you are hearing voices, due to a hatian background in the family, even if he was exhibitting symptoms of mental illness they may not have been identified as such but rather explained by a Hatian belief structure.
Yes. Or, the symptoms were "treated" within the family by non-traditional means, prayer and herbal remedies, perhaps. An example would be MB's father telling him to lie down and pray when he complained of a headache, following the episode at the temple when he felt like Neo from The Matrix and heard voices on the train. His father only mentions knowledge of the headache, but I really believe he was aware something more was going on.

Shlock Homes
11-29-2010, 12:57 AM
I stumbled across a video uploaded to youtube before the incident. It was uploaded a day or so, and I'm guessing it was Michael Brea's own youtube account. If it was filmed a week or two before the attack, he doesn't exhibit any signs of any mental problems, no weird quirks in behavior or body language. He appears to be quite normal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc1kRYh9_XY&feature=related

Gozgals
11-29-2010, 01:48 AM
We still don't know the reason for his attack, it is all a guess. We don't know if he was taking drugs, had a mental illness or it is one of the theories we are throwing out. Could be any reason. Maybe he was under stress and blamed his mother? Just throwing that out. I didn't say I believed it but who is to know at this point. I don't buy the Free Mason theory though and there is no proof of the others yet.

Goz

tlcya
11-29-2010, 09:42 AM
You are rigth Goz, we are flying blind at this point. All specualtion - no facts.

Herding Cats
11-29-2010, 10:31 AM
Thank you for answering, Herding. I know it probably sounded like a dumb question. :blushing:

Not a dumb question at all...not at all. Actually, it's a good question. I have one schizophrenic in my neighborhood who has really friendly voices, apparently, as he's always smiling and laughing in response to his "internal stimuli" (his voices). He's a very friendly character, but is definitely schizophrenic. But most folks have had experience with those who are schizophrenic with negative, commanding voices.

And if this was a schiz break, then it definitely wasn't "happy, positive" voices he was hearing...not at all.

Best-
Herding Cats

6angels
11-29-2010, 12:06 PM
If he had a history of psychotic illness, then he should have a history of taking medication too. And they will need to check out his twin brother, since biologically, they will be the same. They haven't said if he had any history of acting out in this manner, that's what makes me wonder if something happened at the meeting. Maybe he was slipped a drug that altered his mental state?
I have twins.
Just because one twin may have a mental illness does not mean the other twin will as well

JoeFromLB
11-30-2010, 03:44 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2010/11/26/2010-11-26_i_didnt_kill_her_i_killed_the_demon_inside_her_ psycho_tells_news_in_chilling_det.html?page=1

Also from the linked article:

...he said he received another sign while at the Prince Hall Masonic Temple in Harlem, which he'd joined a week earlier.

There, he said, a man approached and tried to put a curse on him.

"[He] kept trying to put something in my hand but wouldn't show it to me. I kept opening my hand. It was a Freemason pin. I wouldn't touch it," Brea said.

He began feeling ill and left, and while riding the train back to Brooklyn, he said, strangers began speaking to him about his mother.

"I felt like Neo from 'The Matrix.' I began hearing voices and feeling powerful," Brea said. "They were asking about the difference between mom and mother. It was a sign."

Danaya
11-30-2010, 03:53 PM
Whaaaat, freemason murdering others for STATUS? I know freemasons are considered a cult by some, but murdering? Just curious, how did you come up with that?

He was probably on crystal meth or maybe did something to trigger underlying schitzophrenia.

Shlock Homes
12-03-2010, 11:18 PM
Maybe he believed it. Whether it happens or not, I don't know. Only the freemasons would know and they don't say because then it wouldn't be a secret society. And it could also depend on the lodge and the members at that lodge.

There just too many masonic references in this case. His father is one, he says he gave him the sword as a child. No explanation on the dagger. Brea joined the lodge a week or so before the incident, and the day of the incident he had gone there for a meeting according to his family. Add to that the verses he was uttering, including 'architect of the universe', you can't dismiss the freemason connection.

He could be faking being crazy. He could be expressing some trauma from his childhood if his father took him to secret society meetings, or something else related to him receiving the sword. Maybe he was hypnotized or traumatized and someone or something triggered the post hypnotic suggestion.

At this point, anything is possible. From the sounds of it, and just looking at the video above, he was a normal guy. He certainly didn't exhibit any odd behaviors that would give his family any concern. Then suddenly he becomes another person within hours or so of falling asleep? Definitely a bizarre case.

bessie
12-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Michael Brea Update: "Ugly Betty" Actor Charged with Murder in Mom's Death

NEW YORK (CBS/AP) Michael Brea, the actor accused of decapitating his mother with a Masonic ceremonial sword, was arraigned from a New York City hospital prison ward Friday on charges of second-degree murder.

The 31-year-old actor was also charged with criminal possession of a weapon after police found him in the bedroom of the Brooklyn apartment that he shared with his mother and twin brother, with a 3-foot sword.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20024722-504083.html

This will be an interesting case to follow. I'm glad Bellevue physicians ar responsible for his psychiatric care because they should be experienced with the psycho/social/cultural issues at play. I want this young man to be treated fairly, as I feel certain he was insane at the time of the murder due to one or more of the reasons I stated below.

I was hoping to hear of an investigation into why LE waited so long to enter the apartment. Yes...yes, I'm aware that it's been stated they were following procedure, but I question the accuracy of that statement.

bessie
12-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Brea's mother was laid to rest on Saturday.

Funeral held for Yanick Brea; woman hacked to death by son 'Ugly Betty' actor Michael Brea

BY Ben Chapman (http://www.nydailynews.com/authors/Ben%20Chapman)
Daily News Writer
A crowd of 60 family members and friends gathered for a final farewell to victim Yannick Brea (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Yannick+Brea) in the church where she prayed each Sunday with her accused attacker, son Michael...

The murder suspect's twin brother Marcel, in a eulogy read by another family member, recalled his mother's devotion to her sons. "My mother was a loving, caring, kind person who loved us with all her heart," read Marcel's remembrance. "Thank you mother for your patience and beautiful smile, and thank you for being the greatest mom of all."
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/12/04/2010-12-04_mourners_remember_yanick_brea_who_was_hacked_to _death_by_delusional_son_as_devot.html#ixzz17XHBTK VK

LaLaw2000
12-20-2010, 12:53 AM
Do we have any evidence or stories of Free Masons killing people for status?

NO! My late husband was a 32nd degree Mason and a Shriner. He was very involved with The Shriner Burn Centers and Shriner's Hospital for Crippled Chrildren. (I still am) He was retired LE.

I deeply resent anyone even implying anything negative about them such as killing people for status. I can assure everyone that is certainly not true. My stepfather was a minister and he was a Mason and Shriner as well. He and my late husband had both served their country in the military. They were both very good men who were respected by our whole area.

Thank you for asking that question, WhyaDuck. I appreciate it. People often attack and say untrue things about what they either do not understand or do not take the time to understand.

MOO

tlcya
12-20-2010, 01:01 AM
:clap: :clap:

Thank youLaLaw2000

LaLaw2000
12-20-2010, 01:19 AM
You are welcome, tlcox! :blowkiss:

BTW, most all Masons are Shriners. I do not know of one that isn't. There are 33 levels or degrees in the Mason's. My late husband was a 32nd degree Mason. You have to be sponsored by a Mason in order to join, and you must master each level to go on to the next level. These are good people who help each other as well as the community. Part of it is helping those who are in need and not even telling anyone about it. Never boast about it. I believe in that. The female equivalent of the Masons and Shriners is the Eastern Star.

Masons and Shriners do not kill people or have rituals that harm people. They do all the good they can in this world and many never even know about it.

MOO

Pidge
12-17-2011, 01:10 PM
Has he not been sentenced yet? I looked all over the net, couldn't find anything about sentencing.

JoeFromLB
12-17-2011, 06:25 PM
Has he not been sentenced yet? I looked all over the net, couldn't find anything about sentencing.

The latest information I could find is he is awaiting trial and receiving psychiatric treatment in jail. He had some sort of pretrial hearing in October.

http://www.brooklyneagle.com/categories/category.php?category_id=4&id=46750