PDA

View Full Version : CA CA - The Doodler *UNSOLVED*

Zobsessed
11-30-2010, 04:27 PM
I came across this unsolved set of murders that happened in San Francisco in 1974-1975. Unfortunately though, outside of the blurb from Wikipedia, there isn't much on the web about him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doodler

I searched the message board and found nothing either. Does anyone know any more background on this one?

21merc7
11-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Okay, I never heard of this one before, interesting. It did however bring to mind Rand Kraft, and I forgot that some thought he may have had an accomplice. Hmmm.....

Missing accomplice

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Steven_Kraft

"Certain details surrounding some of Kraft's murders have caused many to suspect that Kraft did not always act alone.
Forensic evidence in two cases point to an accomplice — an extra set of footprints and semen that did not match Kraft's DNA. (During the trial, members of the prosecution admitted privately that they did not charge Kraft in several murders that they were sure he had committed because of these facts.)[5]
Kraft would have had difficulty moving around 200-pound corpses; dumping them from cars alone would also be difficult to do unnoticed.
The snapshots Kraft had of the dead men were processed somewhere, but no photo developer reported Kraft's morbid images to the police. (Kraft himself had no darkroom expertise or darkroom equipment.)"

Danaya
11-30-2010, 04:58 PM
I guess his victims were homosexual men and the two that survived refused to testify against him due to not wanting to be "outed".

Here is a link: http://www.crimezzz.net/serialkillers/B/BLACK_TODDLER.php

Ambercat
10-28-2013, 09:24 PM
Okay, I never heard of this one before, interesting. It did however bring to mind Rand Kraft, and I forgot that some thought he may have had an accomplice. Hmmm.....

Missing accomplice

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Steven_Kraft

"Certain details surrounding some of Kraft's murders have caused many to suspect that Kraft did not always act alone.
Forensic evidence in two cases point to an accomplice — an extra set of footprints and semen that did not match Kraft's DNA. (During the trial, members of the prosecution admitted privately that they did not charge Kraft in several murders that they were sure he had committed because of these facts.)[5]
Kraft would have had difficulty moving around 200-pound corpses; dumping them from cars alone would also be difficult to do unnoticed.
The snapshots Kraft had of the dead men were processed somewhere, but no photo developer reported Kraft's morbid images to the police. (Kraft himself had no darkroom expertise or darkroom equipment.)"

I think the Doodler is not related to the murders committed by Randy Kraft (but that is just IMO). I think the only one of Randy Kraft's known victims who was stabbed to death was Gerald Young, most of his victims were strangled.

From the segment about the Doodler on the Court TV/Crime Library website, it sounds like they had a suspect in mind but were unable to prosecute him --

Police spoke multiple times in the mid-70s with a man to whom those survivors pointed, according to Inspector Rotea Gilford. A former psychiatric patient who’d received treatment for sex-related problems, the suspect hinted about the killings and seemed to be toying with the cops. He never confessed, and his victims never stepped up.
http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/blog/article/the-unsolved-case-of-the-doodler/index.html

There was also a newspaper article from the AP about the Doodler after the arrest of Patrick Kearney and David Hill --
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1310&dat=19770708&id=sqNVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=m9kDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6901,1839278

TroyinTX
10-29-2013, 02:34 PM
Surprised I have never heard of this case before.

STANDREID
10-29-2013, 06:23 PM
I came across this unsolved set of murders that happened in San Francisco in 1974-1975. Unfortunately though, outside of the blurb from Wikipedia, there isn't much on the web about him.

I searched the message board and found nothing either. Does anyone know any more background on this one?

Some of Michael Newton's case study books like Still at Large cover the case.

STANDREID
12-20-2013, 11:01 PM
I can't really find any details about this case; what gives? No victims names, no details of injuries, no dates of murders and if there were doodles, why can't we see them? Who is the supposed suspect? In an ideal world, a suspect shouldn't be named until he's convicted but no one had any problem naming a half dozen Zodiac suspects while none of them were ever charged.

One of the three surviving victims was said to be a "well-known entertainer". Time to bring this case out of the closet.

STANDREID
12-21-2013, 09:54 PM
I did find an account of a transgender entertainer, who went by Jae Stevens, who was stabbed to death near Golden Gate Park on or about June 24 of 1974. As of yet, I haven't found that the murder was specifically tied to the Doodle but neither can I find that the crime was solved.

Ausgirl
12-21-2013, 10:32 PM
Ah, this case makes me so sad -14 murdered victims, at least 3 survivors, and nobody talking..

I think this one will forever remain a mystery, and a killer and all his victims largely forgotten. :(

STANDREID
12-22-2013, 11:29 AM
It isn't much but the killer is listed as a white male and, due to circumstances, I think we can presume was a young adult. He also seemed to quit killing by 1976. I think we have to consider that he might have become disabled by AIDS and subsequently died as a result.

SophieRose
12-22-2013, 06:13 PM
The one article said that LE believed they knew who was the murderer and had talked to him, although he denied it. If he was, that may have made him stop too.

Wonder if the well-known entertainer is alive. I'm thinking not.

STANDREID
12-22-2013, 11:36 PM
The one article said that LE believed they knew who was the murderer and had talked to him, although he denied it. If he was, that may have made him stop too.

Although it goes against what some "experts" assert about serial killers, I think that could be true.

It wasn't known at the time but AIDS was definitely in S.F. by 1977 and probably a few years before that.

Dragonfyree
12-23-2013, 03:57 AM
Some of Michael Newton's case study books like Still at Large cover the case.

I have a book on unsolved crimes (which I can't find) or I'd give more information, but this guy was in it.

The killer did the doodling for the victim while he was trying to pick them up, in gay bars.

There were several survivors including (as someone else noted) a famous actor. The others were married businessmen. All refused to testify as they did not want to be exposed as being gay.

I'm not so sure I believe the part about the famous actor, I would think the type of crime being committed would have put them out of commission for quite a while and would leave horrendous scarring. I think it would have been difficult to hide that from the press, if you remember that hospital personnel are some of the best sources for the press.

I think the police probably know who it is as the victims probably gave good information, but if they refused to testify there really wasn't anything the police could do.

This might be a good case to see if they can do any DNA.

SophieRose
03-07-2014, 05:50 AM
Here's a long list of homicide, solved and unsolved, committed from 1849 to 2003 in San Francisco. Includes circumstances: gay sex. Weapon: bladed.

And there is a Joseph Stevens murdered near Spreckles Lake in Golden Gate Park on June 24, 1974.

Lots of unsolved murders up til 2003.

SophieRose
03-08-2014, 12:44 AM
These could be three of the murders, occurred in 1974-5.

http://www.ebar.com/news/article.php?sec=news&article=68022

In the early afternoon of February 17, 1974, Stig Lennart Berlin was found stabbed to death in Apartment 9 at 725 Hyde Street.

The 37-year-old gay man had been cut multiple times in his chest and other areas, according to the San Francisco Medical Examiner's office. A bloody towel was in the bathroom, and more blood was in the sink. Papers and items from a chest were scattered on his closet floor. It appears he had been dead for more than two days.

Almost 40 years later, there are no suspects, and police have re-opened investigations into Berlin's killing, along with those of Joe Vasquez, a.k.a. Joe Barbarella, who was in his 20s, and Joseph Y. Rodriguez Jr., a.k.a. Lisa Yancey, 30. Both, who were killed in their Tenderloin homes in 1975, were also stabbed to death. The investigations are happening as the murder trial in another cold case approaches.

SophieRose
03-08-2014, 02:52 AM
Here's a long list of homicide, solved and unsolved, committed from 1849 to 2003 in San Francisco. Includes circumstances: gay sex. Weapon: bladed.

And there is a Joseph Stevens murdered near Spreckles Lake in Golden Gate Park on June 24, 1974.

Lots of unsolved murders up til 2003.

Here's from where the file can be downloaded. I meant to add that the Joseph Stevens murder is still unsolved.

https://cjrc.osu.edu/data-united-states-san-francisco