PDA

View Full Version : VA - AMBER Alert! - Brittany Mae Smith, 12, Salem, 2 Dec 2010

Pages : 1 [2] 3

lishac23
12-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Why even hold a press conference if you are going to have one a few short hours later??? :waitasec:

I am very aware of that, it will also change your profile picture.

What I mean is that her mother would have access to her actual my space itself. If she was a friend on her my space, obviously she knew about her my space since they talked on there. This wasn't a case of a kid hiding her my space from her mother. Her mother would have seen the comments back and forth between her 12 year old daughter and a 32 year old man, her daughter's pictures, her daughter's name change.

And yes, we know Brittany changed her name on everything. She comments on her status message on October 2nd/3rd I believe, that she did it and it screwed everything up. It's further up in this thread. So unless someone hacked into her account 2 months ago to post that status message and she hadn't changed anything back yet, it was her.

BBM....if she changed her name back in October, it would have been around the same time he moved in. Is there any indication where "he" lived prior to moving in with TS??? Was he out of state? Homeless? Wondering what the reasoning was for him to move in so quickly after they met.... or maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Betty P
12-07-2010, 03:05 PM
Looks as though they're also searching in JE's home area in North Carolina

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wdbj-exfatherinlaw-easley-may-be-in-120710,0,7507987.story

If he had only recently moved in with the mom, he may be more inclined to head back to his home. It would be easier for him to hide and seek assistance where his friends and family are located.

Can't help but wonder if this girl has tried to contact her friends, too. Hopefully they will tell police if so.

impatientredhead
12-07-2010, 03:12 PM
(snipped from article)

"An autopsy hadn't concluded a cause of death, Lavinder said"

Which would mean there were no obvious signs of trauma. No gun shot, no stab wounds, no blunt force trauma. Have any of the reports stated that she was murdered??? I've only seen reports that state she "was found dead". Wondering what evidence they would have that she was murdered besides common sense.

I think that just means they have not released an autopsy report. The police may look at a body and say she died from being beaten to death, but a formal autopsy may not be complete, released etc...

I hate to say it because I do think the girl is a victim, but we have seen other cases where a young teen girl was in on the plan, the police may be withholding information from the public so when they do talk to her (hopefully they get the chance) they will be able to know what she saw at the scene, versus hearing it in the press.

If the daughter changed her name in October and it caused a bunch of drama, and her friends are saying this guy was using the daughter, then it seems to me they took their "relationship" underground after she outed them online.

It is tragic that that MAJOR warning sign was brushed off. Of course she had a psycho in her home by that point so maybe it wouldn't have mattered. But it appears to me he had almost two months more to groom this girl and convince her mom was in the way. I hope she didn't know and doesn't have to live with that guilt if she lives through this ordeal.

sherbetjello
12-07-2010, 03:23 PM
Yikes, I just did the mobile myspace trick.. I went way back in the statues of Brittnay... no mention of HCB before July 28th. (She does however label it "Hand cuff buddy" - riddle solved.) First time it was mentioned it was mentioned at the beach with Jeff (HCB), July 28th, 2010.. then it was ongoing (and many of them.)
At a point in October (2nd) she realizes her mistake of changing her name to Easley.

Then A LOT of talking about joining her brother to be "in peace."

Sorry if I am repeating, I had to see all this for myself (also, sorry if this is o/t and or against tos).. the information, for how scary it is, is public.

These messages REALLY are alarming. I don't think she was at a right space mentally when the bf came into their lives.

hollyblue
12-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Looks as though they're also searching in JE's home area in North Carolina

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wdbj-exfatherinlaw-easley-may-be-in-120710,0,7507987.story

If he had only recently moved in with the mom, he may be more inclined to head back to his home. It would be easier for him to hide and seek assistance where his friends and family are located.

Can't help but wonder if this girl has tried to contact her friends, too. Hopefully they will tell police if so.

One article said he lived in AL prior to the VA move or the PC did. A search shows prior residency in NC & AL. He was married in eastern NC (Wilmington) 2000, short.

sherbetjello
12-07-2010, 03:31 PM
One article said he lived in AL prior to the VA move or the PC did. A search shows prior residency in NC & AL. He was married in eastern NC (Wilmington) 2000, short.

Per his myspace blog (dated 2009), he has a child out of that marriage. What struck me about it was, how could he take another persons child when he is arguing in his blog about how he is having problems seeing his own (wanting to, but not being able to)?

Maybe this is part of the dynamic?
I have no idea, this is all just sad to me.

raysgirl1126
12-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Yikes, I just did the mobile myspace trick.. I went way back in the statues of Brittnay... no mention of HCB before July 28th. (She does however label it "Hand cuff buddy" - riddle solved.) First time it was mentioned it was mentioned at the beach with Jeff (HCB), July 28th, 2010.. then it was ongoing (and many of them.)
At a point in October (2nd) she realizes her mistake of changing her name to Easley.

Then A LOT of talking about joining her brother to be "in peace."

Sorry if I am repeating, I had to see all this for myself (also, sorry if this is o/t and or against tos).. the information, for how scary it is, is public.

These messages REALLY are alarming. I don't think she was at a right space mentally when the bf came into their lives.

She also has her mood set as -whatever:'(! and her staus updated 5 days ago say: whatever nothing goes right in my life fml. (hcb)ilu - Which I assuming mean hand cuff buddy I love you??? Just a guess.

Hope this is ok to post, if not I will remove!

cluciano63
12-07-2010, 03:34 PM
I wonder what more LE could have to say if they are having another PC later today...

lynnb
12-07-2010, 03:36 PM
What I'm not understanding is if Tina felt that there was an "inappropriate" connection between Brittany and Jeff, why didn't she get Brittany's father involved? He is a police officer. But on the other hand.....maybe she did and nothing has been said about that yet. I guess it's possible she told them she was going to involve the dad in the situation. That would definitely cause panic in the mind of a pedophile.

sherbetjello
12-07-2010, 03:37 PM
She also has her mood set as -whatever:'(! and her staus updated 5 days ago say: whatever nothing goes right in my life fml. (hcb)ilu - Which I assuming mean hand cuff buddy I love you??? Just a guess.

It does mean what you think if what she posted is literal and streamlined in thought. It's hard to say what she is meaning to say without her input, so it's dissecting code.

ilu does mean i love you, or at least how i learned l337 (internet) speak.

But, another thing i saw was her "ily" was sometimes bracketed behind fam(ily).

Betty P
12-07-2010, 03:38 PM
I wonder what more LE could have to say if they are having another PC later today...

Maybe expecting some news or update from LE in North Carolina?

Fyrecat
12-07-2010, 03:40 PM
I believe this girl might have gone with him willingly. It sounds as though something were brewing there for awhile. She looks alot older that 12, and that can be a powerful thing for a young girl.

I think this is pretty creepy. There is something about one of her FB or MS posts that sort of creeped me out....something about when he said to trust him, and when she said he did.....

ugh.

raysgirl1126
12-07-2010, 03:40 PM

I think it's very interesting her status says this 5 days ago, that would have been friday updated from her cell phone saying :whatever nothing goes right in my life fml. (hch)ilu

fml??? ****** my life? Is that right?

I'm not even sure if i'm posting stuff that is allowed here, can someone help me? Anyone have a link to the rules?

impatientredhead
12-07-2010, 03:43 PM
What I'm not understanding is if Tina felt that there was an "inappropriate" connection between Brittany and Jeff, why didn't she get Brittany's father involved? He is a police officer. But on the other hand.....maybe she did and nothing has been said about that yet. I guess it's possible she told them she was going to involve the dad in the situation. That would definitely cause panic in the mind of a pedophile.

She may have under estimated the threat, or thought bio dad would use this against her to try to make B live with him. She lost a son, losing a daughter might have been too much to think about. Or maybe she was trying to keep her man.

sherbetjello
12-07-2010, 03:48 PM
Quick question, has this story reached national attention yet? I don't watch tv, and I stay away from news sites because WS is about the most I can handle emotionally at one time (I try not to compound the stress while online.)

I ask this because, let's just say *thinking positive* bf moved out prior to Friday the 3rd, would he have seen/read this news on any media outlet?

lishac23
12-07-2010, 03:49 PM
I think that just means they have not released an autopsy report. The police may look at a body and say she died from being beaten to death, but a formal autopsy may not be complete, released etc...

I hate to say it because I do think the girl is a victim, but we have seen other cases where a young teen girl was in on the plan, the police may be withholding information from the public so when they do talk to her (hopefully they get the chance) they will be able to know what she saw at the scene, versus hearing it in the press.

If the daughter changed her name in October and it caused a bunch of drama, and her friends are saying this guy was using the daughter, then it seems to me they took their "relationship" underground after she outed them online.

It is tragic that that MAJOR warning sign was brushed off. Of course she had a psycho in her home by that point so maybe it wouldn't have mattered. But it appears to me he had almost two months more to groom this girl and convince her mom was in the way. I hope she didn't know and doesn't have to live with that guilt if she lives through this ordeal.

Very true!!! I think it was meant to read the autopsy had not been concluded. Maybe the presser this afternoon is to release the autopsy findings. Just a guess.

I agree that there is def something odd about their "relationship". I would guess that's why they are asking for her close friends to come forward. They're most likely looking for information she may have told her friends regarding this "relationship". She's 12...no matter how much he may have told her to keep quiet...she told someone something!

Mendara
12-07-2010, 03:49 PM
With her bio father being a cop, and having shared custody (did I read that?) I am surprised that he was okay with the presence his 12 year old had online. Not to mention this guy moving in, did he know who he was, did he run a background check on him, did B change her name to Easley really recently online, or did biodad never see that?

I think this guy is a predator through and through, sought out a single mom that was vulnerable to get access to her vulnerable daughter. There is no way I think the ily/hcb and name change online were about a step daddy relationship. It was three months. How many fast living 12 year olds are online professing their love for any parent, let alone a 3 month boyfriend of mom, on their social networking pages. The two just don't fit.

Maybe a little girl who never really had a father figure in her life. I find it just as hard to believe that the relationship was romantic - BOTH of these situations are strange in the amount of time they knew each other.

If she was telling him she loved him as a father figure or as a boyfriend it is still scary either way.

Her father leaves them, then her older brother kills himself by mistake - she had no stable male figure. SO it could easily be her relationship was a friendship with him as a kid and older man father figure - OR she had a romantic crush that went badly with a sick man.

Either way she is out there with this lunatic and her mother is dead. MO

lynnb
12-07-2010, 03:56 PM
I believe this girl might have gone with him willingly. It sounds as though something were brewing there for awhile. She looks alot older that 12, and that can be a powerful thing for a young girl.

I think this is pretty creepy. There is something about one of her FB or MS posts that sort of creeped me out....something about when he said to trust him, and when she said he did.....

ugh.
I agree 100% with you on the creepy thing. But I just can't wrap my mind around the idea that this girl left willingly or that she was involved in her mothers death. She could have left "willingly" with him at any time since we know they lived in the same house. Sure, they'd be on the run and in hiding, but that's what they are now. Something happened in that household that day to cause that poor mother's death and I think it caused panic in the mind of the killer. What if Mom did see something or find evidence of something inappropriate? Him leaving Brittany behind would be leaving a "witness" behind that could prove his "inappropriate" behavior. I hate to even type this, but right now I am worried sick over a possible murder/suicide being the end of this.

MBLover
12-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Quick question, has this story reached national attention yet? I don't watch tv, and I stay away from news sites because WS is about the most I can handle emotionally at one time (I try not to compound the stress while online.)

I ask this because, let's just say *thinking positive* bf moved out prior to Friday the 3rd, would he have seen/read this news on any media outlet?

Sherbet - The answer to your question is yes. There was a segment on HLN around 2 (EST) today.

Mendara
12-07-2010, 04:05 PM
I hope she is found soon.

lishac23
12-07-2010, 04:06 PM
COMPLETELY out of the loop on this one....does anyone know what "handcuff budyy" refers to? I tried googling it :loser: and I saw it being used to describe a relationship (it appears to be a type of sexual relationship) but nothing definitive on what kind of relationship would be considered a "handcuff buddy"... any ideas???

belimom
12-07-2010, 04:09 PM

Didn't want to lose JE... TS sounds like she had some self-esteem issues, with the way she kept thanking him for being patient with her, etc. I think she was afraid of losing him.

orb4me
12-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Is the hangman game the same erotica hanging game? or something diff?

for all we know, dad could have showed up at the house. I hope he can prove where he was. I am assuming he knew nothing about this beyond his xwife was living............now wait amin. hes a cop, he had to have been loudly voicing the dangers of some guy living in the house with he daughter. He is not blind to the dangers of this world.
I dont have much faith in background checks. In Ohio, 3 months back is a background check.

I still sit here in amazment at all the things you all do.

I am posting the 3 missing boys in Northern Ohio/ southern MI. and now posting this one. I get very few remarks. But Im just hoping that someone on FB with me by some chance has seen something.

Brittany has a best friend I would think, I wonder if best friend is protecting her? or so she thinks.

swanniee11
I found the father's facebook, not sure if i am allowed to post it.

MBLover
There will be another presser at 3:30 on WDBJ7.com. I would guess this will be dealing with the COD for the mother?

lynnb
12-07-2010, 04:13 PM
NEWS 7 has confirmed Easley was arrested in 1996 for assault with a deadly weapon against a government official. In January, 1996, Easley, then 17, was arrested on that charge in Ayden, North Carolina, outside Greenville.

The Ayden Police Department has not given details surrounding the arrest or its resolution in court.

The Pitt County Superior Court in Greenville, North Carolina has destroyed any record of the case.

chasing.halos
12-07-2010, 04:13 PM
COMPLETELY out of the loop on this one....does anyone know what "handcuff budyy" refers to? I tried googling it :loser: and I saw it being used to describe a relationship (it appears to be a type of sexual relationship) but nothing definitive on what kind of relationship would be considered a "handcuff buddy"... any ideas???

I am sooooo glad I am not the only one that doesn't know this. LOL @ googling, I did the same thing. :loser:

I assumed it had to do with something sexual but I don't know. It could be an inside joke between them. Or the english lit major in me sees it as a close bond, where they are always together, like they were handcuffed. Could also be a metaphor for "partners in crime." Yikes the more I think about it the more I don't like it.

belimom
12-07-2010, 04:19 PM
news 7 has confirmed easley was arrested in 1996 for assault with a deadly weapon against a government official. In january, 1996, easley, then 17, was arrested on that charge in ayden, north carolina, outside greenville.

The ayden police department has not given details surrounding the arrest or its resolution in court.

the pitt county superior court in greenville, north carolina has destroyed any record of the case.

wth...????

chasing.halos
12-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Is the hangman game the same erotica hanging game? or something diff?

(sbm) It's something different.

What is the Choking Game?
It's a traditional activity passed on for generations through whispers youth on playgrounds, over the
Internet, at school, camp, and from friends. Youth who might participate range in age from 7-21 and it is especially common in middle school aged children. The goal is a desired 'floaty', 'tingling', 'high' sensation. However, not all participants are seeking a 'high' , some participate as a pass time, out of curiosity, or as a result of peer pressure.

The Choking Game is played in both in groups and by a lone child. The object of the 'game' is asphyxiation, as in, to apply pressure restricting oxygen and/or blood flow to the brain. This is accomplished by neck constriction and/or chest compression sometimes including hyperventilation. Diminishing oxygen to the brain produces a sensation. The 'high' are the cells of the brain seizing and beginning the process of permanent cell death. When the victim is rendered unconscious, the pressure is released and the secondary 'high' of the oxygen/blood rushing to the brain is achieved. If the victim is alone - upon unconsciousness there is no one to release the pressure and the victims own body weight continues to tighten the ligature usually resulting in death.

http://www.chokinggame.net/The_Choking_Game.html

swanniee11
12-07-2010, 04:23 PM
NEWS 7 has confirmed Easley was arrested in 1996 for assault with a deadly weapon against a government official. In January, 1996, Easley, then 17, was arrested on that charge in Ayden, North Carolina, outside Greenville.

The Ayden Police Department has not given details surrounding the arrest or its resolution in court.

The Pitt County Superior Court in Greenville, North Carolina has destroyed any record of the case.

Well, isn't that just lovely. I like how when LE was questioned at the 12pm presser he was asked if they have done a background check on JE, they said "Not yet" I laughed and thought "yeah right". IMO

carterkatt
12-07-2010, 04:26 PM
I just called wdbj7 and told them there were many, many of us waiting for the next news break online.. and could they PLEASE fix the sound? He said he would work on it.. for what it's worth.

I told him that many of us on here are anxiously awaiting what they have to say, and thanked him, etc etc....

hollyblue
12-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Sherbet - The answer to your question is yes. There was a segment on HLN around 2 (EST) today.

NG had her story on almost half the show last night. Here's link to the transcript:

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1012/06/ng.01.html

sherbetjello
12-07-2010, 04:29 PM
chasing.halos,
that's spot on from how i remember the game being played in middle school.
basically, you bend over and take a bunch of breaths, put your hands crossed over your chest and someone puts their weight onto your arms/chest area causing you to not being able to exhale/inhale.

(seen it before, and this is how it was played)

body goes limp, passes out for 10-15 seconds, then person wakes up with those "pixies in the eyes."

i had no idea that it was possible to die from that when i was younger. pretty stupid of me to observe it and not think/say much about it.

hollyblue
12-07-2010, 04:29 PM
I just called wdbj7 and told them there were many, many of us waiting for the next news break online.. and could they PLEASE fix the sound? He said he would work on it.. for what it's worth.

I told him that many of us on here are anxiously awaiting what they have to say, and thanked him, etc etc....

THANK YOU. Here's link to live stream again:

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/livestreaming/

ETA: Will be delayed til 3:45 PM

nursebeeme
12-07-2010, 04:31 PM
I had sound before but now absolutely nothing.....

raysgirl1126
12-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Presser delayed to 3:45

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/livestreaming/

nursebeeme
12-07-2010, 04:32 PM
sound back... delayed until 1545

carterkatt
12-07-2010, 04:32 PM
delayed 15 mins.. but we can HEAR!

hollyblue
12-07-2010, 04:33 PM
I had sound before but now absolutely nothing.....

I can hear fine...???

lynnb
12-07-2010, 04:34 PM
well I guess we can all sit here and pray for the next 10 minutes or so.
Please be safe Brittany.

chasing.halos
12-07-2010, 04:34 PM
chasing.halos,
that's spot on from how i remember the game being played in middle school.
basically, you bend over and take a bunch of breaths, put your hands crossed over your chest and someone puts their weight onto your arms/chest area causing you to not being able to exhale/inhale.

(seen it before, and this is how it was played)

body goes limp, passes out for 10-15 seconds, then person wakes up with those "pixies in the eyes."

i had no idea that it was possible to die from that when i was younger. pretty stupid of me to observe it and not think/say much about it.

Yep, exactly. I actually remember kids doing this when I was in grade school! I was also totally oblivious to the danger of it as I am sure they were too. Which is why it is so important to talk to kids about the danger of this and that it's not a "game."

lishac23
12-07-2010, 04:38 PM
I am sooooo glad I am not the only one that doesn't know this. LOL @ googling, I did the same thing. :loser:

I assumed it had to do with something sexual but I don't know. It could be an inside joke between them. Or the english lit major in me sees it as a close bond, where they are always together, like they were handcuffed. Could also be a metaphor for "partners in crime." Yikes the more I think about it the more I don't like it.

LOL...
I saw it used in a couple threads that based on the rest of the lingo appeard to be conversations amongst teenagers. I tried reading into the context of the conversation to figure it out, but no luck....

I was thinking maybe it refered to an older man.... like another term for a "jail bate" kind of relationship. Just grasping at straws here. Think I'll call my teenage neice....

nursebeeme
12-07-2010, 04:44 PM

so this would have been a juvie record... wondering if that is why it doesn't exist any more???

Japandaaa
12-07-2010, 04:45 PM
The press conference is on now !!!

chasing.halos
12-07-2010, 04:45 PM
As search continues, more than 200 tips have come in, majority from VA

chasing.halos
12-07-2010, 04:46 PM
Keep the tips coming in.... messages are helpful... please continue.

They have surveliance 8-8:30 last Friday night of them both at Walmart

raysgirl1126
12-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Survelance video last friday night of Brittany and Jeff at walmart between 8 and 8:30pm

chasing.halos
12-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Brit was wearing bracelets, white and yellow one, in memory of her brother. Asking anyone seeing couple to contact them. Purchased several items. Will be posting picture of survelliance video

hollyblue
12-07-2010, 04:48 PM
No way does he weigh 265 now!!!

raysgirl1126
JE used mom's credit card at walley world

chasing.halos
Easley used credit card at Walmart belonging to Brittany's mother.

Tina Smith- autopsy complete- active homocide investigation

raysgirl1126
autospy done, homeside investigation in progress

chasing.halos
12-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Please respect family's privacy, neither family wants comtact with media. Candlelight vigil 7 pm at high school

cluciano63
12-07-2010, 04:51 PM
So they were seen at Walmart with mom's credit card...after she was dead? Or don't we know when she was killed?

chasing.halos
JE's mother wants to address the press, making statement

raysgirl1126
Jeff Easleys mom about to address the press Mrs. Sally Martin

Japandaaa
This is so sad watching JSE's mother speak.

:(

chasing.halos
12-07-2010, 04:52 PM
"Jeff, I called you Sunday night... you haven't told me what's going on... I wondered if you were hungry or down a hole... you can call me and I want you home and safe... take Brittany and drop her off somewhere safe... I love you..." (Jeff's mom)

chasing.halos
12-07-2010, 04:53 PM
They don't know when she was killed

chasing.halos
12-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Difficult to speculate what is going on by watching Walmart video

raysgirl1126
12-07-2010, 04:54 PM
JE mom worried if they are cold or hungry, knows he is taking care of Brittany b/c of what she knows about the two of them? She asked him to drop Brittany off somewhere, said she loved him. Speaker back on says not sure if the video is before or after the murder. Will not discuss her last name on facebook or myspace.

chasing.halos
Asking about Britt's MySpace account with his last name... not going to speculate about why...

raysgirl1126
JE's mom is from Roanoke

chasing.halos
12-07-2010, 04:55 PM
They will not discuss what was purchased at Walmart

raysgirl1126
12-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Still believe Brittany is in danger

Cazzie
daisy...Easley and Brittany were at Walmart Friday, bought some items (they won't say what)

raysgirl1126
Coming in late... he said they haven't had any sightings of the couple since the video was made Friday. What video?

Video of JE and Brittany at walmart Friday between 8pm and 8:30pm. JE used moms credit card

MBLover
12-07-2010, 04:57 PM
2 felony charges against Easley for using Tina's credit card

chasing.halos
Credit card has not been used again to their knowledge

raysgirl1126
no indication Brittany has used her cell phone

chasing.halos
She may have her cell phone, no indication she has used it

chasing.halos
12-07-2010, 04:59 PM
No other pressers scheduled today unless something breaking happens

lynnb
12-07-2010, 05:02 PM
it was hard to hear the reporters questions. someone asked a question and the chief responded she is from Franklin County. Who were they talking about?

cluciano63
They should be able to track her phone, even without her using it, unless she took the battery out, I believe?

Japandaaa
I, without a doubt, know that was JSE's vehicle that almost hit me Friday night.

..... Just the thought of it gives me cold chills.

I checked my Skype conversation with my fiancé and I got home at 7:45pm, literally minutes after my sighting of the old red Chevrolet Blazer. It makes me wonder if one of them was fleeing the scene, waited for the other and abandoned JSE's car, took TS's car to Walmart to purchase items, then fled. Even so, TS's car could have already been somewhere and it could have been both of them in JSE's car. Does anyone know if either vehicle was spotted at the house on that Friday ?

hollyblue
12-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Yep, exactly. I actually remember kids doing this when I was in grade school! I was also totally oblivious to the danger of it as I am sure they were too. Which is why it is so important to talk to kids about the danger of this and that it's not a "game."

Editor’s note: This story is about a sexual activity that’s embarrassing – to say the least – and potentially deadly

http://www.thezephyr.com/deadlyclimax.htm

doughgirl07
12-07-2010, 05:03 PM
It was heartbreaking to see JE mom speaking to her son, pleading for him to drop Brittany off somewhere safe, call 911, come home... wondered if he was cold and hungry. Said she talked to him Sunday night -- did not have any idea what was going on. Did say that she "knew he was taking care of Brittany because of what I know about you and Brittany" but that he needed to come home, to be safe and they would help him

Brittany's family must be devastated. Though, all indications that she is alive and with him somewhere.

Good news that they are now receiving tips from other states ---- sightings?

nursebeeme
12-07-2010, 05:05 PM
so, did his mother actually SPEAK to him on Sunday I wonder? hmmmmm....

doughgirl07
I, without a doubt, know that was JSE's vehicle that almost hit me Friday night.

..... Just the thought of it gives me cold chills.

I checked my Skype conversation with my fiancé and I got home at 7:45pm, literally minutes after my sighting of the old red Chevrolet Blazer. It makes me wonder if one of them was fleeing the scene, waited for the other and abandoned JSE's car, took TS's car to Walmart to purchase items, then fled. Even so, TS's car could have already been somewhere and it could have been both of them in JSE's car. Does anyone know if either vehicle was spotted at the house on that Friday ?

Nobody reports the vehicles there --- would like to know where his vehicle was found -- possibly WalMart, hence the video....and the timing would be right - you at 7:30-7:45, WalMart by 8:00 - 8:15

wvjules
It was heartbreaking to see JE mom speaking to her son, pleading for him to drop Brittany off somewhere safe, call 911, come home... wondered if he was cold and hungry. Said she talked to him Sunday night -- did not have any idea what was going on. Did say that she "knew he was taking care of Brittany because of what I know about you and Brittany" but that he needed to come home, to be safe and they would help him

Brittany's family must be devastated. Though, all indications that she is alive and with him somewhere.

Sounds like she was talking to a child and not a grown man, IMO. Anyone else get that?

chasing.halos
12-07-2010, 05:07 PM
http://media.trb.com/media/alternatethumbnails/story/2010-12/58113852-07130524.jpg

doughgirl07
so, did his mother actually SPEAK to him on Sunday I wonder? hmmmmm....

She stated she spoke to him by phone Sunday and that she would talk to him again on Monday, but then could not get in touch with him - with the story breaking and all

belimom
Keep the tips coming in.... messages are helpful... please continue.

They have surveliance 8-8:30 last Friday night of them both at Walmart

JE used mom's credit card at walley world

They will not discuss what was purchased at Walmart

I'm inclined to believe that at that point, Tina was still alive. Whatever they bought must have something to do with one of two things: the homicide (which is why they won't discuss it if it if they anticipate a trial) or something to imply a sexual relationship (condoms, etc <---- just speculation on my part). Otherwise, if they had bought something innocuous like food, then LE would have no problem saying that. Or clothing or hair dye, they would say 'may be in such-and-such clothing' or 'may have dyed hair'. KWIM?

There's something about the purchase that they want to keep a lid on.

Also, if Tina were already dead, I think they would have been on the run and not at Wal-Mart.

belimom
12-07-2010, 05:09 PM

BBM

Especially Brittany's dad, if she and her brother had the same dad... One child died and another missing? :(

doughgirl07
12-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Also, if Tina were already dead, I think they would have been on the run and not at Wal-Mart.

OR, they knew they are in trouble and panic --- hit WalMart for supplies before hitting the road -- "l'll take care of this, let's get some food and drinks and get out of here..."

chasing.halos
12-07-2010, 05:12 PM
OR, they knew they are in trouble and panic --- hit WalMart for supplies before hitting the road -- "l'll take care of this, let's get some food and drinks and get out of here..."

perhaps camping gear...survival gear...

lynnb
12-07-2010, 05:13 PM
I'm inclined to believe that at that point, Tina was still alive. Whatever they bought must have something to do with one of two things: the homicide (which is why they won't discuss it if it if they anticipate a trial) or something to imply a sexual relationship (condoms, etc <---- just speculation on my part). Otherwise, if they had bought something innocuous like food, then LE would have no problem saying that. Or clothing or hair dye, they would say 'may be in such-and-such clothing' or 'may have dyed hair'. KWIM?

Wasnt it reported that the police did a wellbeing check on Sunday night because a coworker reported that Tina hadn't shown up for work Fri and no one could reach her? and then a coworker with a key found her Monday when she didn't go to work again? or are my days confused?

belimom
12-07-2010, 05:14 PM

That's possible, too. But I would think if you just committed a murder, you would want some physical distance between you and the crime pretty fast. Hit the road and stop later. Although, I guess JE knew that they had a window of opportunity to stop before it was discovered the Tina was dead.

The body language from the pic does imply that Brittany was nervous/anxious about something. Not just the look on her face (which is really a snapshot of a millisecond in time and may not mean anything), but also the way she seems to be wringing her hands. Anyone else think that?

hollyblue
12-07-2010, 05:15 PM

Yes, the chief stated that what they purchased would be instrumental in the investigation.

doughgirl07
12-07-2010, 05:17 PM
The body language from the pic does imply that Brittany was nervous/anxious about something. Not just the look on her face (which is really a snapshot of a millisecond in time and may not mean anything), but also the way she seems to be wringing her hands. Anyone else think that?

Yes, that's what I see - maybe shock. But then again, it is one snapshot --did it not get cold until Saturday? I thought it was colder than t shirt weather But my brain may be frozen from being out there today.

camping gear - I hope not, but mom was worried about him being cold....perhaps sleeping bags/blankets for car.

hollyblue
12-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Wasnt it reported that the police did a wellbeing check on Sunday night because a coworker reported that Tina hadn't shown up for work Fri and no one could reach her? and then a coworker with a key found her Monday when she didn't go to work again? or are my days confused?

Correct.

mysticrose
12-07-2010, 05:18 PM
I'm sorry this is OT but WHY does everybody go to walmart, seemingly after they have commited a crime or prior too? :waitasec:

lynnb
12-07-2010, 05:19 PM
I think the media and LE need to emphasize the fact that Brittany does NOT look like your normal 12 yr old girl. I know the pic they showed was blurry, but if I wasn't following this case and had seen them in Walmart, I'd be thinking it couldn't have been them cuz the girl looked to be at least 16-17 years old.

belimom
12-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Yes, the chief stated that what they purchased would be instumental in the investigation.

Thanks - I didn't see the presser... :)

Yes, that's what I see - maybe shock. But then again, it is one snapshot --did it not get cold until Saturday? I thought it was colder than t shirt weather But my brain may be frozen from being out there today.

camping gear - I hope not, but mom was worried about him being cold....perhaps sleeping bags/blankets for car.

BBM. Maybe they don't want him to know that they're searching campgrounds, etc, because they don't want them on the run again? Just a thought - trying to figure out why they wouldn't release what items were purchased. It really is cold up/down the East Coast right now - I'd hate to be out there camping.

KaylynnCouture
12-07-2010, 05:21 PM
They should be able to track her phone, even without her using it, unless she took the battery out, I believe?

I don't think so. I could be wrong, but I think the phone would have to be on in order for LE to track the pings from it. If it's turned off, I don't think it can be tracked.

Japandaaa
12-07-2010, 05:21 PM
Did anyone else notice in the surveillance cam shot that the shopping cart appeared to have hardly any bags in it ? It has items, but I hardly see any white at all, along with I spotted something shiny.

chasing.halos
12-07-2010, 05:23 PM
I'm sorry this is OT but WHY does everybody go to walmart, seemingly after they have commited a crime or prior too? :waitasec:

At least Casey A had some taste....

(sorry, I love Target or Tarjay as I call it lol)

wvjules
12-07-2010, 05:24 PM

What was the point of the police doing the welfare check if, when no one answered the door, they did nothing? :waitasec:

hollyblue
12-07-2010, 05:25 PM
They stated they would be releasing a new pic of boyfriend. After seeing that picture...there is no way he is 265 if 5' 11'......more like 180-185.

They are holding back much info until she's found. Not the mother's COD or approx time, etc. Not even what room she was found in.

The last reported sighting of TS & BS was mid-morning on Friday...prior to this video.

I don't like the fact that they find nothing from her cell at this point. Not good. :(

chasing.halos
12-07-2010, 05:25 PM
I don't think so. I could be wrong, but I think the phone would have to be on in order for LE to track the pings from it. If it's turned off, I don't think it can be tracked.

Actually cell phones can be tracked even when turned off. When the phone dies/battery is taken out, it can no longer be tracked (I learned a lot about phones in Kyron's case lol)

cluciano63
12-07-2010, 05:26 PM
And everyone should know by know that Wal-Mart has video cameras everywhere...I know that and I have never even been inside one...yet, it seems to be the first place people head when they are on the run...I guess we should be glad so many do.

swanniee11
12-07-2010, 05:27 PM

It's the only place they are welcomed!

cluciano63
12-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Actually cell phones can be tracked even when turned off. When the phone dies/battery is taken out, it can no longer be tracked (I learned a lot about phones in Kyron's case lol)

This is what I am wondering...if they don't know enough to stay out of Walmart, you wouldn't think they would know to take the batteries out of their phones...why can't the pings be traced? Or if they are tracing them, why not give the public a rough idea where they are pinging?

hollyblue
12-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Did anyone else notice in the surveillance cam shot that the shopping cart appeared to have hardly any bags in it ? It has items, but I hardly see any white at all, along with I spotted something shiny.

Could be them entering and not exiting. ??

Bee Happy
12-07-2010, 05:28 PM
If you use an iPhone you can read both BS and her mom's statuses. Shocking! I do believe mom found out "something" was going on between BS and JE. She seems angry on her statuses, and on some comments she left on her daughter's. This is so disturbing. I hope she is found alive. *sigh*

Mendara
12-07-2010, 05:30 PM

WHo cares if he is cold or hungry - he is a grown man - that is strange. You worrie if a child is cold and hungry not a man. Maybe his mother thinks Brittay committed the murder and Jeff is protecting her.

Either way he is the criminal and I don't care if he is cold and worst of all HUNGRY. MO

hollyblue
12-07-2010, 05:30 PM

I agree...I from the Morgan Harrington case.

Japandaaa
12-07-2010, 05:31 PM
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll136/Japandaaa/Picture5.png

The wind was at 7MPH.

The weather was cold that night, which is why I don't understand why TSE and BS have no coat, scarf, etc. on. I know guys who don't wear coats when it's cold, but more so on why she's not properly dressed.

Mendara
12-07-2010, 05:32 PM

Maybe items to committ the murder - maybe LE does not want th epublic to know that Brittany may have been a part of it because then the public would be angry and stop looking. MO

Japandaaa
12-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Could be them entering and not exiting. ??

They are exiting from the grocery side. You can tell by the wall and then the store in the background. I just wonder if they purchased things that didn't require bags ?

doughgirl07
12-07-2010, 05:34 PM
it looks like potato chip bags to me.....

impatientredhead
12-07-2010, 05:35 PM
So his mother *knows* he is taking care (cough cough) of B, because what she *knows* about them.

She was discussing this MAN on her facebook, where her mother could see, she took his last name where the world could see, her friends say he is using her, and his mother *knows* about them and *knows* based on that knowledge that he is "taking care of her".

How many people could see the warning signs here and did nothing? Wow.

lynnb
12-07-2010, 05:36 PM
What was the point of the police doing the welfare check if, when no one answered the door, they did nothing? :waitasec:
I stand corrected. A coworker went there Sunday night--not the police
http://www2.wsls.com/news/2010/dec/06/21/amber-alert-issued-missing-12-yr-old-ar-698326/

carterkatt
12-07-2010, 05:37 PM
2 thoughts... I would assume LE has video of the walmart parking lot also - to know if they are still in the Neon, etc.

Also.. when "mom" spoke at the press conference... yes.. did sound like she was talking to a child - but she was (IMO) trying to be calm, non-threatening and "on his side" - vs. "WHAT THE HE** ARE YOU DOING/THINKING??? GET BACK HERE NOW!" which may be what she is really thinking....???

cluciano63
12-07-2010, 05:38 PM
LE may not know at this time if Brittany was there when her mom was killed, as a witness, a participant or another victim...and as another posted said, wouldn't want the public to think she is with him willingly and not be as apt to look for her. But I think they probably left town by later Friday night...they could be anywhere. Hope they are on national APB alert...

Blue Ridge
Is there a link to this Walmart video you all seem to be looking at? TIA

Invisible
daisy...Easley and Brittany were at Walmart Friday, bought some items (they won't say what)

Color me stupid...but what can you buy at Walmart that can't be discussed?

hollyblue
Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Walmart video shows wanted man and missing 12-year-old shopping Friday night

http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/270028

doughgirl07
12-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Neighbor says best friend from South Boston -- I didn't see that she was a co-worker..... Something tells me she had plans with her friend and didn't show

wvjules
12-07-2010, 05:41 PM
http://www2.wsls.com/news/2010/dec/06/21/amber-alert-issued-missing-12-yr-old-ar-698326/

According to this article the police went there on Sunday, co-worker on Monday.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/269968

Co-workers at Richfield Retirement Community in Salem first called police to the two-story house on Fort Lewis Circle, a quiet cul-de-sac, on Sunday night after Smith failed to show up for work, said Roanoke County police Lt. Chuck Mason.

Officers knocked on the door, but got no answer. There were no cars in the driveway, and the officers saw no reason to force their way inside, Mason said.

"At the time, there wasn't anything suspicious," he said.

About 9:30 a.m. Monday, after Smith failed to show up at work again, a co-worker with a house key walked in and found Smith's body, Mason said. Police wouldn't say how she died.

hollyblue
So his mother *knows* he is taking care (cough cough) of B, because what she *knows* about them.

She was discussing this MAN on her facebook, where her mother could see, she took his last name where the world could see, her friends say he is using her, and his mother *knows* about them and *knows* based on that knowledge that he is "taking care of her".

How many people could see the warning signs here and did nothing? Wow.

Is there any possible way these two could have gone somewhere and got married? I know the legal age is not 12, but she does not look 12 at all.
Is that possible?

Mendara
It's alomst like everyone around them thought it was ok for her to behave this way with this man on FB and off. I mean didn't an aunt say he would stroke her hair and face around the family. I mean if I saw a niece being stroked by some guy my sister met ont he internet who just moved into their house - I would have stepped in LOUDLY!

Just the other day a FRIEND of the family who is 27 years old just "happened" to fall asleep with his head face down on my sleeping 16 year old sister in law's lap. I made a huge fuss - woke them both up told her to move to the other side of the sofa. To my utter shock and surprise MY HUSBAND who is HER brother - was angry at me saying I misunderstood that they just happened to fall asleep like that.

AS IF THAT MATTERS!

STEP IN PEOPLE! Right at the moment of first glance.

IMO

chasing.halos
Still shot of Britt and JE at Walmart:

http://media.trb.com/media/alternatethumbnails/story/2010-12/58113852-07132650.jpg

doughgirl07
12-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Tonight- 7 p.m. candlelight vigil for Tina and Brittany Smith at Highlander Stadium, behind Glenvar Middle School.

lynnb
12-07-2010, 05:42 PM
I'm wondering when/if Brittany actually found out her mother was killed. Could it have happened without her knowing? Could she have left town with him thinking her mother had found out the truth and had thrown her out of the house?

LadyLuck
12-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Two things, one where do you see the picture of them at wal-mart. I watched the press conference but they did not show the picture long enough for me to tell if anything in the basket.

I will not bash his Mother. It took a lot of guts for her to step out there and make a statement. You could tell she was very nervous. I took it that she was trying to get him to let Britney go and to turn his self in. She told him to drop her off somewhere or call 9ll. I do not think she is taking up for her son, she was just trying to help this end with Britney and him alive.

impatientredhead
12-07-2010, 05:44 PM
I'm wondering when/if Brittany actually found out her mother was killed. Could it have happened without her knowing? Could she have left town with him thinking her mother had found out the truth and had thrown her out of the house?

We don't know that she knows, or that she doesn't.

Blue Ridge
12-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Walmart video shows wanted man and missing 12-year-old shopping Friday night

Rats, I thought this was going to be the Walmart video but it isn't, it's just an article.

Come on ya'll, I know someone knows where it is because you're talking about seeing it. Pretty please? LOL

hollyblue
12-07-2010, 05:46 PM

No, you were right....I saved the article:

Co-workers at Richfield Retirement Community in Salem first called police to the two-story house on Fort Lewis Circle, a quiet cul-de-sac, on Sunday night after Smith failed to show up for work, said Roanoke County police Lt. Chuck Mason.

Officers knocked on the door, but got no answer. There were no cars in the driveway, and the officers saw no reason to force their way inside, Mason said.

"At the time, there wasn't anything suspicious," he said.
About 9:30 a.m. Monday, after Smith failed to show up at work again, a co-worker with a house key walked in and found Smith's body, Mason said. Police wouldn't say how she died.
http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/269968

chasing.halos
Rats, I thought this was going to be the Walmart video but it isn't, it's just an article.

Come on ya'll, I know someone knows where it is because you're talking about seeing it. Pretty please? LOL

There is no video yet, just the picture of a still from the video I have posted twice :)

doughgirl07
http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wdbj-photos-of-suspect-and-missing-120610,0,6867612.photogallery

lynnb
12-07-2010, 05:47 PM

The police have not released the video, only one still shot of the video which was posted above.

cluciano63
12-07-2010, 05:48 PM
I wonder if people who might normally have intervened were more cautious due to the loss of the brother...I mean, knowing the family was in mourning, maybe people who might otherwise have addressed any improper relationship were heistant to do/say anything?

I wonder how often she saw her dad and when she last saw him...if he even knew about the new "roommate"...

hollyblue
12-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Neighbor says best friend from South Boston -- I didn't see that she was a co-worker..... Something tells me she had plans with her friend and didn't show

Whose this friend? EX hubby, cop, father is from South Boston. ???

lynnb
12-07-2010, 05:50 PM
I wonder if people who might normally have intervened were more cautious due to the loss of the brother...I mean, knowing the family was in mourning, maybe people who might otherwise have addressed any improper relationship were heistant to do/say anything?

I wonder how often she saw her dad and when she last saw him...if he even knew about the new "roommate"...

Totally not related to the case, but the deceased brother's myspace is still online. In it he had made a comment about "never knowing his dad"

illeKllaH
12-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Were they not able to confirm time of death...or did they just not release that information? I tried to listen to the PC but the sound, even with speakers all the way up, was barely audible.

I believe I read in the thread that mom and daughter were last seen Friday morning/early afternoon? Do we know if mom worked weekends? If not, it is possible she was killed on Friday evening. We don't know where the homicide took place in the house...I'm assuming not in plain view since nothing abnormal was discovered on the well check on Sunday.

They know what was purchased at Wal-Mart...I'd bet my life. It's so simple to go in and ask for a receipt re-print. I've had to do it at Wal-Mart and Kroger when I've forgotten the receipt for things purchased with my P Card for work. I don't know what to think of the fact that they aren't saying what was purchased. My mind says that what they purchased probably wasn't "good." If they were things to alter appearance, you'd think they'd let the public know. If it were camping/survival type stuff, you'd also think they'd let the public know. What's left? Stuff indicating an inappropriate relationship or things relating to the homicide. Do we know if JE owned any firearms? The time line of this is puzzling. We really don't know when much of anything happened other than the sighting at Wal-Mart. IF the murder had occurred prior and BE looked anxious as someone stated, if she hadn't gone willing, why would she not scream, yell, run, etc while in Wal-Mart? I know kids can get scared in situations like this one, obviously, but in such a populated place, why not attempt to get away? That leads me to believe that either the murder hadn't taken place yet and/or she was willingly there.

The more cases like this that come out, the more I question how much attention parents pay to what their kids are doing? This isn't meant as disrespect towards Brittany's mom at all...just a general statement. I'm not so sure my child, at the age of 12, would have a MySpace or FaceBook. If they did, you'd better believe I would have access to it and would know everything that was posted. I wouldn't hesitate to shut it down, either, if inappropriate things were posted. I'm 25 and my mom is my friend on FB and she knows how to gain access to my account if, God forbid, something were to ever happen.

peeples
12-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Did they say WHAT walmart they were seen at???

MsFacetious
12-07-2010, 05:56 PM
WHo cares if he is cold or hungry - he is a grown man - that is strange. You worrie if a child is cold and hungry not a man. Maybe his mother thinks Brittay committed the murder and Jeff is protecting her.

Either way he is the criminal and I don't care if he is cold and worst of all HUNGRY. MO

If the man "taking care" of Brittany is cold and hungry... then wouldn't it stand to reason that Brittany would also be cold and hungry?

His Mom was trying to appeal to her son.... by showing concern for him, being non confrontational. But if he is in danger, so is Brittany. If he is outside, so is Brittany.

We have to remember, this IS her child. If your adult child goes missing tomorrow, you are going to worry if they are cold and hungry. That worry isn't going to go away just because they are 30 instead of 13. They are always your child.

When was the last time we saw a suspect's family come out and make a statement, when we didn't hear from the victim's family? That took some guts.

Color me stupid...but what can you buy at Walmart that can't be discussed?

Condoms, pregnancy tests, certain clothing or other things - which would seem to imply a sexual relationship between the people seen buying them.

Bullets, rope, garbage bags, knives, cleaning supplies or other things which would seem to imply a murder or clean up of one.

Anything which would interfere with the investigation and make Brittany look like less of a victim. LE's concern, just like ours is to get her back safely. We are able to accept that she likely has a relationship with this guy and may have knowledge of her mother's murder... yet still try just as hard to find her and bring her back. She is still only 12.

However, the general public doesn't do that. If they see her as a possible accomplice, if they see her buying any of the above with this guy.. they are much more likely to demonize her. Consider her not a victim and not be as helpful in finding her.

They appear to be trying very hard to preserve the integrity of the case. I hope that it pays off. I think it likely will. I agree with his mother, I don't think he will hurt her. The one exception being a possible murder suicide.... aside from that possibility, I think Brittany will be found safely.

hollyblue
12-07-2010, 05:56 PM
http://media.trb.com/media/photo/2010-12/86939860-07125804.jpg

Mendara
12-07-2010, 05:57 PM
When I look at that photo of the still from Walmart for some reason I get the feeling that perhaps he made up some type of story to convince her to go along with him. She doesn't look like she is happy and neither does he. Maybe she doesn't even know her mother is dead. HOWEVER - since LE did not tell us what was purchased at Walmart I can't decide it seems what ever they bought was incriminating enough to not be released. MO

Cazzie
12-07-2010, 05:58 PM
Did they say WHAT walmart they were seen at???
I don't know if the PC did. But in the recent article posted, they said the Salem Walmart.

Seems that the locale would be crucial for public info, to be on the alert and to recall other sightings that may have happened Friday or the weekend, even if they fled the area.

lynnb
12-07-2010, 05:58 PM
Just so you all know, if it turns out this sweet looking 12 year old girl killed her mommy, my faith in mankind will be permantly shattered. :(

belimom
12-07-2010, 05:59 PM

2 thoughts... I would assume LE has video of the walmart parking lot also - to know if they are still in the Neon, etc.

Also.. when "mom" spoke at the press conference... yes.. did sound like she was talking to a child - but she was (IMO) trying to be calm, non-threatening and "on his side" - vs. "WHAT THE HE** ARE YOU DOING/THINKING??? GET BACK HERE NOW!" which may be what she is really thinking....???

See LadyLuck's response below:

Two things, one where do you see the picture of them at wal-mart. I watched the press conference but they did not show the picture long enough for me to tell if anything in the basket.

I will not bash his Mother. It took a lot of guts for her to step out there and make a statement. You could tell she was very nervous. I took it that she was trying to get him to let Britney go and to turn his self in. She told him to drop her off somewhere or call 9ll. I do not think she is taking up for her son, she was just trying to help this end with Britney and him alive.

ITA, LadyLuck. I didn't see the presser but I think she probably didn't want to scare him away from returning - she wanted to give him hope that it was okay to return, I love you, I care about you - just return Brittany safe. I'm sure she has all kinds of mixed emotions right now, but more than anything, she probably wants to make sure that a 12-yr-old girl makes it back home alive.

I have no experience with hostage negotiations, but I'm thinking that's probably what they do as well. Try to stay calm, get on the person's good side, gain their trust, act like they have the perp's best interest in mind, etc.

peeples
12-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Thank you Cazzie :)

impatientredhead
12-07-2010, 06:00 PM
I wonder why they chose to release this info.
Clearly they ran her card info and saw that it had been used.
Contacted the last location used and asked for video of who used it.

With the time that has lapsed though I am not sure if I think this info is worth anything in public versus not telling him they are on to the card use and hoping he might use it again when he got desperate. I might have sat on that info.

belimom
12-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Just so you all know, if it turns out this sweet looking 12 year old girl killed her mommy, my faith in mankind will be permantly shattered. :(

(OT: There was another case in NC a few years back where a teenage girl killed her mom. Walked free for years, but then more recently was charged, I think? Anyone remember that case?)

CN2Souls
12-07-2010, 06:02 PM

Is it just me or does it look like he is holding something behind his back?

impatientredhead
12-07-2010, 06:02 PM
I applaud his mother for speaking to him and trying to help.
My comments were about how many people were aware of an inappropriate relationship before it happened. Not just her, many people.

Mendara
12-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Please remember she is 12 and although may look older she is not and may believe anything and everything he says to her - even the most ridiculous. She may not have screamed and yelled because he said he would kill her.

WHo knows.

cmlegend99
12-07-2010, 06:06 PM
He looks to be taller than 5'11'' in that photo of them in walmart, with him pushing the cart. My hubby is 5'11'' and stomach hits the ''handle'' part much higher than that. KWIM? I mean..people have longer torsos and stuff, but he just looks TALLER than what they are saying.

And I totally think this pic was taken BEFORE the mom was killed. Who the hell goes to a walmart in the same town to get some things right after youve killed someone? I would book it out of there and go to a different store hundreds of miles away, if I HAD TO. and them TOGETHER? I would have Britt stay in the car, unless she was forced to go along....

fhc
12-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Off Topic, Elizabeth Edwards has died. May she rest in peace & God bless her children.

tfrohning
12-07-2010, 06:08 PM

Thank You very much. It help us save time and i missed the presser.

Why is JE hand behind his back? The picture is a little fuzzy but I do feel from what I can tell she looks concern or scare.

And for the life of me why LE never wants to say what was purchase...why is that? this could be clues and could generate tips:waitasec:

Recovering-Lurker
12-07-2010, 06:08 PM

Yes!!! I see the same thing.

cluciano63
12-07-2010, 06:10 PM
I know she is only 12...but 12 isn't what is used to be :( I don't know what happened here, obviously, but we've all seen cases where kids her age did terrible things...but usually to younger children.

My guess is that he is the killer and she thinks she went with him willingly but has probably changed her mind by now and wants to go home...

hollyblue
He looks to be taller than 5'11'' in that photo of them in walmart, with him pushing the cart. My hubby is 5'11'' and stomach hits the ''handle'' part much higher than that. KWIM? I mean..people have longer torsos and stuff, but he just looks TALLER than what they are saying.

And I totally think this pic was taken BEFORE the mom was killed. Who the hell goes to a walmart in the same town to get some things right after youve killed someone? I would book it out of there and go to a different store hundreds of miles away, if I HAD TO. and them TOGETHER? I would have Britt stay in the car, unless she was forced to go along....

Either that or she is not 5'. I'm 5' 2 and my X was 5' 11. My head came approx to his collar bone.

doughgirl07
could be reaching for keys on a lanyard or putting wallet away in back pocket..... perhaps it is prior to problems at house and mom says "use my credit card to get supplies at WalMart" Maybe as one poster suggested she bought a pregnancy test (nervous), mom finds out, things get out of control

ETA - completely random speculation....recliner mind wanderings

KaylynnCouture
12-07-2010, 06:13 PM
I missed the presser earlier..sorry if these have already been answered/asked..

1) When were they at Walmart?

2) Where was the Walmart (city/state)?

3) When was the last known sighting of either of them?

4) Why is it being speculated that Brittany may have killed her mom?

5) How long has Brittany known Easley?

belimom
12-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Please remember she is 12 and although may look older she is not and may believe anything and everything he says to her - even the most ridiculous. She may not have screamed and yelled because he said he would kill her.

WHo knows.

Exactly. It reminds of Elizabeth Smart's testimony and how LE approached her in a library once, wondering if it was her. Her kidnapper wouldn't let her remove her face covering and told LE for religious reasons that LE could not see her face. She recounted how she was so angry at herself later for not stepping forward but was scared for her life b/c the woman was squeezing her knee under the table. My point is: an adult would have jumped up and stood behind LE, shouting 'they kidnapped me!' But a 12-yr-old still isn't sure of the consequences - would LE give her back to the kidnapper? would SHE get in trouble? (she thought that up until the end, btw) A 12-year-old preteen lacks the same reasoning skills of an older teen/adult.

ETA: This is OT (kind of), but I do think Elizabeth Smart's testimony is priceless, as someone who was abducted, raped, and held captive for several months. Her thoughts/actions give alot of insight into how a child thinks and how they survive such an ordeal. Their young minds just think differently, especially regarding who is control and the consequences - such as 'getting in trouble' with parents/LE.

lishac23
12-07-2010, 06:14 PM

I thought the same thing!!!!

Wondering why they won't release the TOD. I understand keeping the method quiet, but there is a two/three day gap. It would be helpful to know when she died so people can know how long they've been traveling.

Soulmagent
12-07-2010, 06:15 PM
It looks like a hammer handle behind his back. Or something with that type of handle which could reveal the cause of death that only the killer is susposed to know??

tfrohning

I so disagree with bolded part. So many killer has been caught on camera in retail stores after a murder.

Hoffman was at local walmart buying tarps. That just one case. J/S

hollyblue
Thank You very much. It help us save time and i missed the presser.

Why is JE hand behind his back? The picture is a little fuzzy but I do feel from what I can tell she looks concern or scare.

And for the lode of me why LE never what to say what was purchase...why is that this could be clues and could generate tips:waitasec:

It could be evidence of a SO or even the murder. We don't know. But the chief did say in the presser that it was instrumental to them.

belimom
12-07-2010, 06:17 PM
It looks like a hammer handle behind his back. Or something with that type of handle which could reveal the cause of death that only the killer is susposed to know??

I can't decide if that's something he is holding or if it is the legs of a stand or something up against the wall.

carterkatt
12-07-2010, 06:20 PM
I can't decide if that's something he is holding or if it is the legs of a stand or something up against the wall.

I thought it was the legs to a stand, also. You know.. they have those hand sanitizer wipes to use on the carts by the doors? I think they even have a little trash can below the dispenser to put the dirty wipe. Just a guess.

CN2Souls
12-07-2010, 06:20 PM

Also, ....... :eek: Could that be a blue Tarp? :cry:

cluciano63
12-07-2010, 06:22 PM
In cnn.com's report, it says that Brittany met him online and started a relationship? Not her mom?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/12/07/virginia.missing.child/index.html?hpt=Sbin

illeKllaH
12-07-2010, 06:23 PM
I agree with those that have said 12 isn't what it used to be. When I was 12, the coolest thing that happened to us was when someone had a birthday party and boys were allowed to come...and parents were flocking all over the place! If someone kissed a boy...OMG...it was the news all over the shcool! Clothes like 12 year olds wear today weren't around...the internet was still a novelty...and social networking didn't exist. I work with kids and had an 8 year old that, for her birthday, her mom took her to have her hair, makeup, and nails done and had on clothes that HS aged kids would wear. This 8 year old looked like she was 13. And let me tell you, kids know A LOT more than when I was 12. I can't count the times that my mouth would drop at the things I hear being discussed (ie, sex). She is only 12...that is a fact...but 12 is apparently the new 16 these days.

sherbetjello
12-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Whatever he had behind his back (I see it too, looks like a blue, slim object of some sort) will for sure be seen on the camera above and behind *him.

Also, I see what appears to be lots, and lots of plastic "party cups."

belimom
12-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Whatever he had behind his back (I see it too, looks like a blue, slim object of some sort) will for sure be seen on the camera above and behind *him.

Also, I see what appears to be lots, and lots of plastic "party cups."

I think the "party cups" are in a bin against the wall...?

cmlegend99
12-07-2010, 06:27 PM
^^The blue in the cart could be lots of things. I buy a big variety bag of individual chips and it comes in a bag that looks similar to that, expecially with the white 'line' around it

sherbetjello
12-07-2010, 06:28 PM
I think the "party cups" are in a bin against the wall...?

Wow, you are so correct. This picture is an optical illusion.

(ps- you got some great eyes on ya!!)

hollyblue
12-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Pitt County Helping In Virginia Abduction Case (http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/Pitt_County_Helping_In_12-Year-Old_Abduction_Case_111470169.html)

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/Pitt_County_Helping_In_12-Year-Old_Abduction_Case_111470169.html

lynnb
12-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Exactly. It reminds of Elizabeth Smart's testimony and how LE approached her in a library once, wondering if it was her. Her kidnapper wouldn't let her remove her face covering and told LE for religious reasons that LE could not see her face. She recounted how she was so angry at herself later for not stepping forward but was scared for her life b/c the woman was squeezing her knee under the table. My point is: an adult would have jumped up and stood behind LE, shouting 'they kidnapped me!' But a 12-yr-old still isn't sure of the consequences - would LE give her back to the kidnapper? would SHE get in trouble? (she thought that up until the end, btw) A 12-year-old preteen lacks the same reasoning skills of an older teen/adult.

ETA: This is OT (kind of), but I do think Elizabeth Smart's testimony is priceless, as someone who was abducted, raped, and held captive for several months. Her thoughts/actions give alot of insight into how a child thinks and how they survive such an ordeal. Their young minds just think differently, especially regarding who is control and the consequences - such as 'getting in trouble' with parents/LE.

Excellent post! I think we all need to remind ourselves that no matter what the "relationship" between Brit and J is, Brit did not go into it looking for "sex" nor did she paln to "seduce" her mothers man. She is a 12 yr old girl looking for attention, and unfortunately it came from the wrong person.

tfrohning

I agree it a leg of table or chair..but talking he has hand behind his back. odd way to puch a cart.

He could had something in the back of his pants to control Brittany.

listen to scanner it just came over about JE.

lishac23

Comments are based on the above article...IMO and BBM

"I was worried from what I know about you and Brittany," Sallie Martin, of Franklin County, said during a news conference with Roanoke County police. "I just want you to come home and I want you to be safe ... We'll help you work this out. I love you."

"Was" is past tense. Could be just a nervous slip of the tongue, but I'm thinking she may have known about a possible relationship and "was worried" about what was going on, but didn't say anything. "We'll help you work this out" kind of says to me, she's pretty sure he murdered TS too.

"Easley, 32, was charged by Salem police with credit card fraud and larceny"
This to me would seem as though she was already deceased when he used th card. You can't charge someone with fraud and larceny if there's a possibility that TS gave him the card willingly. Sounds like LE believes he took the card after she was murdered.

"We have not established a suspect" in the killing "at this point," Lavinder said.
Doesn't sound like LE is positive he acted alone. :-(

belimom
12-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Wow, you are so correct. This picture is an optical illusion.

(ps- you got some great eyes on ya!!)

(Thx, but I've stared and stared at it and zoomed in, trying to figure it out, too... then realized it wasn't his cart after all...)

doughgirl07
12-07-2010, 06:34 PM
[QUOTE=lishac23;5879609]http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/270028

This to me would seem as though she was already deceased when he used th card. You can't charge someone with fraud and larceny if there's a possibility that TS gave him the card willingly. Sounds like LE believes he took the card after she was murdered.

Great point !

hollye
12-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Is it possible that the relationship started between Brittany and Jeff and Tina had guilt feelings because of the death of her son, as in not feeling close enough to him to keep him from the dangers of things like the choking game, that she allowed the relationship between Brittany and Jeff to try and keep her daughter close to her and even invited Jeff into her home to be able to keep a close eye on their relationship and to, in a warped way, further her relationship with her daughter? At some point maybe it backfired and she realized how bad it was, but didn't know what to do to turn back the clock and right things.

Anyway, that was just a thought and MOO.

CN2Souls
12-07-2010, 06:39 PM
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12718&d=1291761468

No that is not a Tarp..... I think....:waitasec:

lynnb
Is it possible that the relationship started between Brittany and Jeff and Tina had guilt feelings because of the death of her son, as in not feeling close enough to him to keep him from the dangers of things like the choking game, that she allowed the relationship between Brittany and Jeff to try and keep her daughter close to her and even invited Jeff into her home to be able to keep a close eye on their relationship and to, in a warped way, further her relationship with her daughter? At some point maybe it backfired and she realized how bad it was, but didn't know what to do to turn back the clock and right things.

CNN must be having a bad reporting day. If you look on Tina's myspace page, you will see evidence it was her in the relationship with Easley and not Brittany

sophclown
The blue container in the shopping cart looks like a gasoline/kerosene container, it has a white, round lid.

hollyblue
12-07-2010, 06:42 PM
[quote=lishac23;5879609]http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/270028

Great point !

Isn't it still fraud if you use someone else's cc.....even if they know it. You would have to sign your own signature or the owners.....either one....wrong to do. ???

hollyblue
12-07-2010, 06:43 PM

OMG....I hope not!!

hollyblue
12-07-2010, 06:50 PM
3:30 presser:

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wdbj-amber-alert-issued-for-missing-120610,0,5737411.story

hollyblue
12-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Walmart on Main St in Salem, VA

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&q=walmart,&t=h&sll=37.290375,-80.0875&sspn=0.025061,0.040169&rq=1&ev=p&radius=1.33&split=1&hq=walmart,&hnear=&ll=37.288326,-80.089045&spn=0.025061,0.040169&z=14

SammySam
12-07-2010, 06:54 PM
I really do not remember him well but I went to high school with him in Ayden, NC. I was watching Nancy Grace last night and I would have never thought I would see someone that lived in my area once. Gives me chills!

Japandaaa
12-07-2010, 06:56 PM
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll136/Japandaaa/Picture7-1.png

WDBJ7 has this on their home page.

belimom
12-07-2010, 06:56 PM
I really do not remember him well but I went to high school with him in Ayden, NC. I was watching Nancy Grace last night and I would have never thought I would see someone that lived in my area once. Gives me chills!

Welcome to Websleuths, SammySam... Sorry it's under there circumstances but thanks for the input/post.

lishac23
12-07-2010, 06:57 PM
[quote=doughgirl07;5879628]

Isn't it still fraud if you use someone else's cc.....even if they know it. You would have to sign your own signature or the owners.....either one....wrong to do. ???

Technically you're right...you're not supposed to use someone else's credit card. However, people do it all the time. As long as the owner of the credit card isn't reporting it stolen/fraudelent use. When I was a senior year of high school and as a freshman in college my mom would let me use her credit card for emergencies, gas, food and such so I wouldn't feel the need to get one.
You'd be surprised at how many places will let you swipe a credit card without even asking for ID...sign any scribble scrabble and the clerk was none the wiser.

Bratislava
12-07-2010, 06:59 PM

Thanks for joining us. Can you remember why he was charged with assaulting an official with a deadly weapon when he was 17?

belimom
12-07-2010, 06:59 PM

After zooming that picture in, it does look to me like he is holding something behind his back. If it were coming from a stand or something, then it would be in the traffic path. :twocents:

lishac23
12-07-2010, 07:01 PM

What the heck is that blue thing? Sleeping bag? Duffle Bag? Looks like its taking up the whole cart?

If its criticle to the case, I wonder if there is a murder weapon in there?
I don't think it would be cleaning products. She was found in the home, I doubt someone would take the time to clean up the house, but leave the body there. Clean up is usually when someone is trying to hide the crime.

chasing.halos
12-07-2010, 07:03 PM

:Welcome-12-june:

Bratislava
12-07-2010, 07:03 PM
What the heck is that blue thing? Sleeping bag? Duffle Bag? Looks like its taking up the whole cart?

I don't think it would be cleaning products. She was found in the home, I doubt someone would take the time to clean up the house, but leave the body there. Clean up is usually when someone is trying to hide the crime.

It looks like a big tent to me.

lynnb
12-07-2010, 07:04 PM
updated pic of Jeffrey
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1174.snc4/154612_112497412151897_112253375509634_75214_20409 34_n.jpg

peeples
12-07-2010, 07:04 PM
It looks like a tool box to me.. my hubby has a black one that looks similiar also bought from walmart, looks like clamps on both ends (the shiny metal) and then it got a bigger one in the middle larger that you can put a padlock on... IMHO

MsFacetious
12-07-2010, 07:06 PM
Suitcase???

peeples
12-07-2010, 07:06 PM
Kinda like this, but this isn't the one my hubby has

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-FatMax-28-Toolbox/14146171

peeples
12-07-2010, 07:07 PM
maybe it's this
http://www.walmart.com/ip/High-Road-Cargo-Tote/12183929

But in blue

chasing.halos
Looks like a foot of someone sitting on a bench behind him... JMO.

And what is that blue thing? At first I thought it was clothes laying flat on what looked like a hanger but they would put clothes in a bag. So now I wonder if it is a cooler of some sort? Has to be something big enough that they wouldn't put in a bag.

crocus

That's the first thing I thought too!

SammySam
12-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Thanks for joining us. Can you remember why he was charged with assaulting an official with a deadly weapon when he was 17?

I really cannot remember. I looked on FB and we have 6 mutual friends but I am a little uneasy about just coming out and asking them. Let me brainstorm a little about who would know. :) I do know he still has family living in Ayden. Will certainly post if I find out.

peeples
12-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Ok almost all tents come in a box.. BUT those collapsable canopies come in a nylon"bag/storage pouch thingy..

CN2Souls
12-07-2010, 07:09 PM

Yes it looks like A Tent... So maybe they would be coming down this way....

MsFacetious
12-07-2010, 07:09 PM
It is incredible to me that I am more than twice this girls age... and she is exactly the same size I am.

I cannot believe how big normal kids are... obviously my family is just freakishly short? She is 12... I've had two kids and we could share clothes. Very weird to think that she does look like an adult. (Yet, I get mistaken for a kid because I usually dress so conservatively.) That is just so wrong.

chasing.halos
12-07-2010, 07:10 PM

Or a large awning type thing that comes in a bag.

peeples
12-07-2010, 07:11 PM
What about the bag on the right??
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/04/98/45/15/0004984515176_500X500.jpg

peeples
12-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Or a large awning type thing that comes in a bag.

YES My mom has one and it came from Menards in a blue bag

chasing.halos
12-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Ok almost all tents come in a box.. BUT those collapsable canopies come in a nylon"bag/storage pouch thingy..

Yep. OR CHAIRS IN A BAG.

lynnb
I'm a little concerned that the credit card has not been used since Friday night at walmart. If they are on the run, they would need gas and food. Even sleeping in the car they would need warmer clothes. How much cash could he have had on him? I am really hoping that the blue thing in the pic is not a gas can.

peeples
look at the color of this and the bag

http://www.walmart.com/ip/American-Tourister-Fieldbrook-4-Piece-Luggage-Set/15420964

belimom
What about the bag on the right??
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/04/98/45/15/0004984515176_500X500.jpg

The silver object could actually be the trimline on the bag. Good find!

peeples
12-07-2010, 07:15 PM
Yep. OR CHAIRS IN A BAG.

Yep it just doesn't Look "solid" that is the best way i can describe it LOL

alsmom
12-07-2010, 07:16 PM
It is incredible to me that I am more than twice this girls age... and she is exactly the same size I am.

I cannot believe how big normal kids are... obviously my family is just freakishly short? She is 12... I've had two kids and we could share clothes. Very weird to think that she does look like an adult. (Yet, I get mistaken for a kid because I usually dress so conservatively.) That is just so wrong.

My daughter was 5'2" in fifth grade. She's now thirty and she's 5'3", so I think she pretty normal in size. I was pretty much my adult height 5'6" in seventh grade. Might have been around 5'4", all I know is, I could wear my 21 year old sister's dresses.

raeann
12-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Looks like a foot of someone sitting on a bench behind him... JMO.

And what is that blue thing? At first I thought it was clothes laying flat on what looked like a hanger but they would put clothes in a bag. So now I wonder if it is a cooler of some sort? Has to be something big enough that they wouldn't put in a bag.

?????
maybe this....but it looks like a Coleman label with the red logo in the cart

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-30-Rolling-Utility-Duffel-Cobalt-Blue/10740604

peeples
12-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Like this without the umbrella
http://www.walmart.com/ip/SKLZ-Super-Brella-Chair/14895575

belimom
12-07-2010, 07:22 PM
According to historical weather data (http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KROA/2010/12/3/DailyHistory.html?req_city=Salem&req_state=VA&req_statename=Virginia), it was about 35F at 8:30pm on Friday. Both of them have on short sleeved shirts! I don't get it. Us they ran out without their coats... but then they would have bought something at Wal-Mart, unless again, they were just in a hurry to get something and get outta there. Not sure why, but the "no coats" thing bothers me because it is unseasonably cold right now.

Jinxy

This picture looks so much different to me versus the same one previously shown...

Bratislava
I think they are preparing for some time in the woods in a hospitable and possibly warmer location. Like Alabama. He will go somewhere familiar and Alabama seems far I'm sure.

mysticrose
12-07-2010, 07:23 PM
I'm a little concerned that the credit card has not been used since Friday night at walmart. If they are on the run, they would need gas and food. Even sleeping in the car they would need warmer clothes. How much cash could he have had on him? I am really hoping that the blue thing in the pic is not a gas can.

I wonder how much cash he pulled out when he checked out of Walmart ? You know how that little machine asks if you would like cash back after swiping your card. I do not know what the limit is for Walmart but that would give him cash............

sherbetjello
12-07-2010, 07:25 PM
This picture looks so much different to me versus the same one previously shown...

jpgs lose quality and color each time you save the file.

peeples
12-07-2010, 07:25 PM
If they knew the pin they could get a cash advance at any ATM too.
I knew my mom's pin when I was a kid because she let me push the buttons at the ATM for fun

hollyblue
12-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Transcript of the statements made by JE's mother (SM) at the 3:30 presser today:

Jeff’s mother: Sally Martin at Press Conference 12/7/10

“Jeff, I called you Sunday night to see how everything was going. I told you I’d get back with you Monday. And I just found out what all was going on just yesterday. And I don’t know what’s going on because you haven’t told me. Last night I went to bed and was worried from what I know about you and Brittany. I wondered if you were hungry or if you all were cold. You know you can call me and I just want you to come home and I want you to be safe. And I know you are taking care of Brittney and if you would just take her somewhere and drop her off...call 911 or give me a call...come to the house...do whatever you need to do. We’ll help you work this out. I love you. “

lynnb
12-07-2010, 07:26 PM
I wonder how much cash he pulled out when he checked out of Walmart ? You know how that little machine asks if you would like cash back after swiping your card. I do not know what the limit is for Walmart but that would give him cash............

You only get that option when using a debit card. With credit card you can get cash at an ATM but only if you have the PIN number.

Linda7NJ
12-07-2010, 07:27 PM

My own son is 12. In some ways he's very mature for his age and in others ways...... I just shake my head. My son is trying desperately to figure out things for himself and usually does remarkably well but when he doesn't GOOD GRIEF I wonder how he can sometimes be SO gullible and stupid! He believes just about EVERYTHING his friends tell him, to the point of being ridiculous. I am just very thankful he still shares everything with me and I can help him ask the tough questions and reach an intelligent conclusion, it sure is alot of work....phew!

lynnb
12-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Transcript of the statements made by JE's mother (SM) at the 3:30 presser today:

“Jeff, I called you Sunday night to see how everything was going. I told you I’d get back with you Monday. And I just found out what all was going on just yesterday. And I don’t know what’s going on because you haven’t told me. Last night I went to bed and was worried from what I know about you and Brittany. I wondered if you were hungry or if you all were cold. You know you can call me and I just want you to come home and I want you to be safe. And I know you are taking care of Brittney and if you would just take her somewhere and drop her off...call 911 or give me a call...come to the house...do whatever you need to do. We’ll help you work this out. I love you. “

To me, it sounds like maybe she didn't actually talk to him on Sunday night. More like maybe left a message saying "I'll try and reach you tomorrow"

chasing.halos
12-07-2010, 07:30 PM

If it was a credit card and not a debit card, you cannot get cash back at the checkers line. But if they knew the pin and the credit card had a cash advance option they could get cash out from the atm.

It infuriates me that people get away with using others cards all the flipping time. How could he use a card that said Tina on it. Perhaps she presented the card? Anyways, it bugs me that no one asks for id. /rant over (sorry, I am in banking lol) Just think how it could have caught these two though....if only an id was checked...

lynnb
12-07-2010, 07:32 PM
If it was a credit card and not a debit card, you cannot get cash back at the checkers line. But if they knew the pin and the credit card had a cash advance option they could get cash out from the atm.

It infuriates me that people get away with using others cards all the flipping time. How could he use a card that said Tina on it. Perhaps she presented the card? Anyways, it bugs me that no one asks for id. /rant over (sorry, I am in banking lol) Just think how it could have caught these two though....if only an id was checked...
It's very rare anymore that you even hand a checker your card. They all have those machines at the checkout where you just swipe the card yourself. No wonder identity theft is exploding.

CN2Souls
12-07-2010, 07:35 PM
They also could have gone through self Check out.....?

chasing.halos
12-07-2010, 07:38 PM
They also could have gone through self Check out.....?

Yep, good thinking! I have never used those, as the times I have tried were disastrous (lol it took forever and nothing seemed to scan for me). When you use those, do you just scan your items, swipe your card as normal and go about your merry way?

queenofcorona
12-07-2010, 07:38 PM
If it was a CC and not a debit card, could they have gotten a cash advance through a Walmart card machine, or is that only possible through an actual bank ATM? I assume if they did go that route, LE would know.

I've been checking this thread obsessively all day, waiting for good news. Hope it comes really soon!

CN2Souls
12-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Yep, good thinking! I have never used those, as the times I have tried were disastrous (lol it took forever and nothing seemed to scan for me). When you use those, do you just scan your items, swipe your card as normal and go about your merry way?

You sure do and most times the camera isn't right above... But some Like Home depot Have a Camera right in your face as You use Self Check out...

hollyblue
12-07-2010, 07:41 PM
updated pic of Jeffrey
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1174.snc4/154612_112497412151897_112253375509634_75214_20409 34_n.jpg

Wonder if this is blown up from a Walmart photo? Scary dude... (OO)

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&drKey=910&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.websleuths.com%2Fforums%2Fsho wthread.php%3Ft%3D121482%26page%3D18&v=1&libid=1291765016691&out=http%3A%2F%2Fsphotos.ak.fbcdn.net%2Fhphotos-ak-snc4%2Fhs1174.snc4%2F154612_112497412151897_112253 375509634_75214_2040934_n.jpg&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.websleuths.com%2Fforums%2Fsho wthread.php%3Ft%3D121482%26page%3D19&title=VA%20VA%20-%20AMBER%20Alert!%20-%20Brittany%20Mae%20Smith%2C%2012%2C%20Salem%2C%20 2%20Dec%202010%20-%20Page%2018%20-%20Websleuths%20Crime%20Sleuthing%20Community&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fsphotos.ak.fbcdn.net%2Fhphotos-..._2040934_n.jpg&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_12917651376496

CN2Souls
12-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Also I wonder if they might have boughten Cell phones?

CN2Souls
12-07-2010, 07:42 PM

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&drKey=910&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.websleuths.com%2Fforums%2Fsho wthread.php%3Ft%3D121482%26page%3D18&v=1&libid=1291765016691&out=http%3A%2F%2Fsphotos.ak.fbcdn.net%2Fhphotos-ak-snc4%2Fhs1174.snc4%2F154612_112497412151897_112253 375509634_75214_2040934_n.jpg&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.websleuths.com%2Fforums%2Fsho wthread.php%3Ft%3D121482%26page%3D19&title=VA%20VA%20-%20AMBER%20Alert!%20-%20Brittany%20Mae%20Smith%2C%2012%2C%20Salem%2C%20 2%20Dec%202010%20-%20Page%2018%20-%20Websleuths%20Crime%20Sleuthing%20Community&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fsphotos.ak.fbcdn.net%2Fhphotos-..._2040934_n.jpg&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_12917651376496

You just took 20 years off my life.... Scared the Cr*p out of me....

peeples
12-07-2010, 07:43 PM
That is creepy

doughgirl07
12-07-2010, 07:45 PM
To me, it sounds like maybe she didn't actually talk to him on Sunday night. More like maybe left a message saying "I'll try and reach you tomorrow"

your'e right.. maybe she didn't talk to him, but letting him know she's tried to call him several times

A_News_Junkie
12-07-2010, 07:46 PM

No that is not a Tarp..... I think....:waitasec:

I keep seeing a large bucket or round tublike thing with handle. PS - it is hard to write with the snipping tool pen, my handwriting is really not this bad!
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t105/LifeCoachOnTheCouch/bucket.jpg

CKay
12-07-2010, 07:47 PM
I see a W on that large object. What about this tent? (folded up)?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wenzel-Ridgeline-7-x-7-Tent-Blue-and-Light-Grey/13228637

Either that, or have wondered if it is just a large Walmart bag ?? Do they have large bags for large items?

lynnb
12-07-2010, 07:49 PM

I hope this isn't from Walmart cuz he looks like he doesn't have a care in the world in this pic

peeples
almost all the ones i saw in the store were in a box. We just looked last weekend with the kids because they are begging to go camping and i know it will hit midnight and will get scared and run in the house (so i refuse to buy and expensive one) LOL But i humored them and we looked with promises of next summer :)

orb4me
I agree that a tent comes in a box. could be big pull along cooler/tote. I noticed that Brittany is somewhat disarayed, part of blouse is tucked in and some is out. Her hair does not look freshly brushed, but this is all JMO.

Am I to understand there was a welfare check done just like the case in Mt Vernon Oh? knocked on the door and no one answers so they go away???? A welfare check was done on me a couple of months ago. The policeman knocked loudly then walked in the door. (I had left a tape recorder running, whole nother story there) If the door had been locked which most of us do when we are home....what then? do I crash this door in and save someone or do I crash this door in and I have to pay for the door as well as invasion of privacy. etc.\\

There is going to have to be a better law made for this sort of thing. This case has a lot of what we have seen over asnd over again. Someone mentioned why do they go to Walmart. I agree. I also think they are not thinking clearly or would not have left a trail to walmarts as well as run the chance of being seen by someone they knew, or for sure be on the camera.

hollyblue
12-07-2010, 07:50 PM

I don't know if they would allow that on a credit card at Wally's. A debit card, yes.
If they did, I would hope at that point a clerk would ask for ID....but, I would say with cc..they wouldn"t give cash back.

CN2Souls
12-07-2010, 07:51 PM

she also looks like she is pulling on her shirt or something.... Anyone else see that???

peeples
12-07-2010, 07:56 PM
I think she's twisting a ring on her finger.. I do that when i'm nervous or anxious....

KPMcLovin
12-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Can anyone give me a link to the clearest copy of the surveillance pic?

Thanks

passionflower
12-07-2010, 08:01 PM
twitter

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local-beat/Amber-Alert-for-Virginia-Girl-111471184.html

passionflower
12-07-2010, 08:04 PM
You just took 20 years off my life.... Scared the Cr*p out of me....

I agree, his eyes are scarey to me and his smile reminded me of Josh Powell
:sick:

lishac23
12-07-2010, 08:05 PM

BBM... I kind of get the impression that maybe she did talk to him... "I told you..." then she states that at the time she didn't know what was going on, and that she still doesn't know what's going on, because he didn't tell her anything. Almost sounds like she's giving her police statement. Kind of like "I spoke with him, but he didn't tell me anything" The police have probably been questioning her over and over and over at this point.

IDK

orb4me
12-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Maybe we all need different view of the same pic in order to see it.

I think the pic that Jinxy posted is very clear. Its a blue cooler/tote laying on its side, I can see the wheels.

Yes, Brittany is pulling or maybe twisting her blouse?

Its now tues eve, saddness seems to be all around.

I belong to a prayer group that prays every evening at 8p gmt. We pray for our country, our military. I add on a lot about our helpless children that terrible things are happening to as I type this. Maybe some would like to join in at their time. It sure cant hurt.