PDA

View Full Version : VA - AMBER ALERT: Brittany Mae Smith, 12, Salem, 2 Dec 2010 - #2

Pages : [1] 2 3

KaylynnCouture
12-07-2010, 09:32 PM
The other thread was getting too long.

Thread #1- VA VA - AMBER Alert! - Brittany Mae Smith, 12, Salem, 2 Dec 2010 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Praying for Brittany's safety.

tlcya
12-07-2010, 09:42 PM
I am lurking, but I cannot bring myself to go "here". This is a sick pup. The amount of grooming and "seducing" that he has put in and the fact that he has taken this action frightens me to death for this child.

Please sleuths, give her your very best. She is so in need of it.

nursebeeme
12-07-2010, 09:48 PM
I went to walmart and looked for what the item in the cart is and took a photo of what I think that is and also what he could be holding behind his back. These photos are from my trip to a walmart in Virginia.
Attached Images
walmart3.jpg (138.2 KB, 0 views)
walmart2.jpg (59.4 KB, 0 views)
walmart1.jpg (35.4 KB, 0 views)

bringing forward soulmagent's trip to walmart!

GREAT JOB SOUL!!! That blue thing in the cart is a tent imhoo... and I also believe he is purposefully holding something behind his back...

eta: I see the photo links aren't working so here is a link to Soul's initial post: Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - VA VA - AMBER Alert! - Brittany Mae Smith, 12, Salem, 2 Dec 2010

passionflower
12-07-2010, 09:49 PM
a tent and maybe an axe for cutting wood..........
maybe he told her they would go camping........
live off the land so romantic.......Romeo/Juliet

now I would look SOUTH........where is it warm enough tonight to camp???
NOT PA.......22 degrees and falling here!

Strawberry Fields
12-07-2010, 09:49 PM
I am lurking, but I cannot bring myself to go "here". This is a sick pup. The amount of grooming and "seducing" that he has put in and the fact that he has taken this action frightens me to death for this child.

Please sleuths, give her your very best. She is so in need of it.

Welcome to Websleuths! I could not help but notice your location and was wondering how much publicity this particular case has been receiving in your area. Have you seen the Ambert Alert on road signs, TV, and/or text messaging? Just wondering and praying actually that this case is getting a lot of national attention. TIA.

passionflower
12-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Did last thread say X wife in ALA??
He knows ALA area then.........warm tonight???

KaylynnCouture
12-07-2010, 09:51 PM
This may have been stated already, but I haven't been following this case TOO closely...

What car are they thought to be driving? Or, are they on foot (thus, the camping idea)?

nursebeeme
12-07-2010, 09:52 PM
passion, according to ex father in law (in link last thread) he also has some family there....

passionflower
12-07-2010, 09:52 PM
No news, no fliers nothing up here by me in PA.

passionflower
12-07-2010, 09:56 PM
What is the date on walmart video???
Is it on the DEC 2???
Tonight would have 5 days to travel, now someone would have to see the
silver car unless they stole one.
Had to stop for gas.
Have they changed their appearances???

Lato
12-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Just came home from shopping at Wal-Mart. I noticed large blue insulated bags for sale hanging on the check out aisle....probably 24 x 24" and I think
they had the name Walmart on the side....used to take frozen/cold items home if you live a distance from the store.

passionflower
12-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Do we know if he has been known to have guns?

any criminal record?
mugshots?

CarmelEyesD
12-07-2010, 10:01 PM
My friend in Alabama says its cold there at night now.

hollyblue
12-07-2010, 10:01 PM

Yes, second wife in nothern AL. I mentioned earlier I thought they would head for FL....seems all perps of all kinds do...but I heard on the weather this morning that FL is having a cold snap....spraying fields and worried about the strawberries and fruit crops. Surprise!

nursebeeme
12-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Mister Nursebeeme is in Atlanta right now and tells me it is butt cold... fwiw

My thoughts on the camping...

since the credit card has not been used again i would think that he took money and food from the house and stopped at wally world to get a tent, ax, etc.. I would bet they are somewhere camping within 50 miles of there... jmhoo. I don't think they would be road tripping it far/risking stopping for gas much.

do we know if any searches have been done in this case??

Reannan
12-07-2010, 10:09 PM
a tent and maybe an axe for cutting wood..........
maybe he told her they would go camping........
live off the land so romantic.......Romeo/Juliet

now I would look SOUTH........where is it warm enough tonight to camp???
NOT PA.......22 degrees and falling here!

Was he an experienced camper?? There are freeze watches down thru Florida! If they had plans to camp, then they are in trouble and have probably put Plan B into action by now. Need to put out the word to truck drivers to be looking for these two. I am just not seeing the media attention I would have expected from this case.

hollyblue
12-07-2010, 10:15 PM
I wonder if they took back roads? Many of those in the mountains. With almost 3 days lead time they could be on the west coast by now. :banghead:

nursebeeme
12-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Tina's Facebook wall is full of comments from devastated friends, but it's her final posts that have Ennemoser wondering if Tina knew something was going to happen to her.

On December 2 at 9:30 p.m., Tina wrote "If I should die before I wake, God Bless my friends. May I be remembered for my good heart and hopeless romantic ways."

Tina's last status update was on December 3 about 1:30 p.m. She wrote, "God, please protect us from the evils of this world."

http://www.wset.com/Global/story.asp?S=13633373

passionflower
12-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Do we know anything about his 2 X's..........like age he met them?
age he married them? any elopements?
How he met them?
What in laws say about him?
Why the 2 divorces ?
Does he have a pattern? fantasies?
How does he get money?
Are his parents alive?

impatientredhead
12-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Was he an experienced camper?? There are freeze watches down thru Florida! If they had plans to camp, then they are in trouble and have probably put Plan B into action by now. Need to put out the word to truck drivers to be looking for these two. I am just not seeing the media attention I would have expected from this case.

There are so many of them going on I don't know if there is enough press coverage to get all of them front and center. Jean Marie is gone for almost a month now with her 44 year old uncle (who has a sex offense history!). Brittany here. The three boys that dad claims he gave to a friend on thanksgiving weekend. The two kids in Alabama that no one has seen for months and dad says he was high when he buried them. And lets not forget the 2 year old raped in a Dollar Store aisle with her mother and grandmother one aisle over.

Honestly if I didn't read here I have only heard of two of these cases in mainstream media, and they were both one headline on my phone updates. No one I know that doesn't follow crime stories has ever heard of Zahra.

It is so common.
Just another day and another dead toddler, another sex offender that has disappeared into the world with a young girl and no one notices them anywhere. It is disheartening.

passionflower
12-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Tina's Facebook wall is full of comments from devastated friends, but it's her final posts that have Ennemoser wondering if Tina knew something was going to happen to her.

On December 2 at 9:30 p.m., Tina wrote "If I should die before I wake, God Bless my friends. May I be remembered for my good heart and hopeless romantic ways."

Tina's last status update was on December 3 about 1:30 p.m. She wrote, "God, please protect us from the evils of this world."

OMG! She knew she was surrounded by evil that she could not stop!!!!

BTW......JE eyes are so scarey to me!!!

JustPeachy
12-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Yes, second wife in nothern AL. I mentioned earlier I thought they would head for FL....seems all perps of all kinds do...but I heard on the weather this morning that FL is having a cold snap....spraying fields and worried about the strawberries and fruit crops. Surprise!

They had better head to Miami or the Keys, it's cold in all of north and central Fl. Just checked temperature in Miami is only 53 degrees.

passionflower
12-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Wonder if they have cell phones? pings?
a computer? hot spots?
Has Brittney logged on to her FB lately???
Teenagers ( and myself) can go through computer withdrawals, BAD!

passionflower
12-07-2010, 10:22 PM
They had better head to Miami or the Keys, it's cold in all of north and central Fl.

What about the west??? warm there???

Does JE known to do drugs of any kind?

impatientredhead
12-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Do we know anything about his 2 X's..........like age he met them?
age he married them? any elopements?
How he met them?
What in laws say about him?
Why the 2 divorces ?
Does he have a pattern? fantasies?
How does he get money?
Are his parents alive?

His mother is alive, she asked him to come home in a press conference today. He has a violent past. One as a teenager that the files have been expunged and destroyed. Of the top of my head I think this was the assualt of with deadly weapon, and then another similar charge in his twenties. Mom met him online, he has live with them for approximately three months, the changing of Brittany's last name online happens about a month into his stay. No mention of him working during this time.

Tina's family said they did not know he was living there until two weeks ago, met him once, called CPS, called Tina, Tina said she would tell him to leave. They never heard from her again.

That is the short version.

Oh, and the i love you and handcuff buddy messages from Brittany on Facebook, and Brittany's friends said he was "using her". Seems many people were aware that something was off about the whole thing. I found it very interesting that Tina didn't tell her family he was living there. She knew it would not be received well.

Ignoring your intuition is such a dangerous decision.

passionflower
12-07-2010, 10:23 PM
In Pittsburgh run aways aren't in the news allot but a murder with a runaway should be.
no way with our weather would they come north................

tfrohning
12-07-2010, 10:26 PM
This may have been stated already, but I haven't been following this case TOO closely...

What car are they thought to be driving? Or, are they on foot (thus, the camping idea)?

Tina Smith's car 2005 silver neon xkf 2365.

JustPeachy
12-07-2010, 10:26 PM

Current temp in Phoenix is 68.Would need money for gas and food.

passionflower
12-07-2010, 10:28 PM
I am wondering if Tina had NO CHOICE in the matter of him living there.
Did they over power her from the very beginning?
In her last words she KNEW she was going to die, IMO.
Both of them could of been threatening her in private all 3 months.

IIRC, back a few years ago, there was a case of a girl and her BF killing a mom.
and it was horrific IIRC. Both of them turned out to feed on each other's evilness
DIABOLICAL.............

passionflower
12-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Current temp in Phoenix is 68.Would need money for gas and food.

Now that would make sence, warm there.
Let's hope he is stupid enough to CHARGE gas and food!
Paper trail would be fantastic.

TRL
12-07-2010, 10:30 PM

VERY cold in Alabama right now. Tonight's low is 26 and tomorrow's high is 39 (at least where I live).

Praying this child is found safe very soon!

passionflower
12-07-2010, 10:31 PM
Tina Smith's car 2005 silver neon xkf 2365.

small car? good on gas mileage? in goodshape??

passionflower
12-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Do we know if they took clothes? hygene products etc?

If not they may end up stealing stuff.

tfrohning
12-07-2010, 10:34 PM
The car has not been spotted that we know of. I still saying NC where he went to school and family.

I have friends that has cabins in NC. He could be held up in sesonal cabin. I don't disagree with FL or Al either.

lynnb
12-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Is there a way to close the 1st thread? We have 2 separate threads going.

nermal43
12-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Does anybody else think he could be trying to hide an injured hand from the security camera in the Walmart picture? Sorry, I don't know how to link the picture

tfrohning
12-07-2010, 10:37 PM
Now that would make sence, warm there.
Let's hope he is stupid enough to CHARGE gas and food!
Paper trail would be fantastic.

I think that card has been flag by now! sure hope he used it.

passionflower
12-07-2010, 10:40 PM
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/11191383/detail.html

mother killed by daughter (15) and boyfriend.........this is the case I was thinking of.

passionflower
12-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Does anybody else think he could be trying to hide an injured hand from the security camera in the Walmart picture? Sorry, I don't know how to link the picture

Welcome to WS nermal43

KaylynnCouture
12-07-2010, 10:42 PM
small car? good on gas mileage? in goodshape??

Information on the gas mileage- http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/20694.shtml

passionflower
12-07-2010, 10:47 PM
The car has not been spotted that we know of. I still saying NC where he went to school and family.

I have friends that has cabins in NC. He could be held up in sesonal cabin. I don't disagree with FL or Al either.

Very true, we leave our camp all winter, but there would be heat til propane ran out! and electric, no water, no toilet (shut down and winterized) no food.......
Cabins are easy to break into. Just a thought maybe never left town to far.
or stopping along their way staying in cabins???

do we know if he is a camper type of guy?
the tent could be for later on. IF IT IS A TENT? they bought.
Hope next article tells what was bought!!!

impatientredhead
12-07-2010, 10:50 PM
I found some records for JE in North Carolina, I can't link because it is a pay site but I can provide file numbers if needed:

August 2002, Criminal Contempt, statute 5a-11, held in holding cell for 7 hours until he cooperated

September 2001, threatening phone calls, domestic violence, failure to appear, blood alcohol .16, was not an assault charge, victim Sheila Easley

1998 Possession, same statute
1997 Larceny, stature 14-72A, Possession of Stolen Property 14-71.1
1997 Possession, statute 18b-302B2
1996 Assaulting a Government Employee, 14-34.2 reduced to 14-33C4, (victims name provided but I will withhold since it is not a family member)
1995 Injury to personal property, 14-160, victim reimbursed (victims name provided but I will withhold)

A handful of no insurance, no registration, fishing without a license, etc....

daisy7
12-07-2010, 10:51 PM

It's flipping freezing in FL now. I'm hoping the Sunshine State is gonna turn the heat back on real soon.

tfrohning
12-07-2010, 10:53 PM
Welcome to WS nermal43

no I don't think that if he was hiding from camera he would had his head down. IMO it does look like Brittany is looking right at the camera.

Blue Ridge
12-07-2010, 10:55 PM

snipped and BBM

Hmm, into fishing, so maybe familiar w/ camping as well...

cluciano63
12-07-2010, 10:56 PM
NG never mentioned Brittany at all tonight, I kept the show on, muted, just to see...as far as other national coverage, I've not seen much of anything. And as another poster said, I only knew of Zahra thru here, and HLN, because they will cover any crimes that have some sensational aspect.

But this is a case that should be on all news channels, as it is current and on-going and they are out there somewhere...

I don't like imagining what happened in that house Friday night...with what her mom posted, and seeing other cases like this in the past. The fact that this girl is only 12 is shocking...she looks much older, very well-developed and probably tried to act as old as she looked, but she is still just 12. Whereever she is, I doubt it is turning out to any sort of adventure...

kikid
12-07-2010, 10:59 PM
Wonder if they have cell phones? pings?
a computer? hot spots?
Has Brittney logged on to her FB lately???
Teenagers ( and myself) can go through computer withdrawals, BAD!

If they headed for the Appalachian Trail (my theory) she wouldn't have cell phone reception probably. I live near the trailhead by Troutville and drive by several times a day, plan on keeping eyes open. I too think they aren't far, just well hidden.

tfrohning
12-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Very true, we leave our camp all winter, but there would be heat til propane ran out! and electric, no water, no toilet (shut down and winterized) no food.......
Cabins are easy to break into. Just a thought maybe never left town to far.
or stopping along their way staying in cabins???

do we know if he is a camper type of guy?
the tent could be for later on. IF IT IS A TENT? they bought.
Hope next article tells what was bought!!!

hmm I was thinking he could be in the area or right over the line to NC. I just don't see him in that car at this time but that leave the question where the heck is the car? wooded area they could hide it.

impatientredhead
12-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Do we know where JE was living when he met Tina online?
His criminal record drying up in 2002 after being so steady for so many years in North Carolina makes me think there are more records to be found. He clearly didn't become an upstanding member of society until now.

passionflower
12-07-2010, 11:04 PM
I found some records for JE in North Carolina, I can't link because it is a pay site but I can provide file numbers if needed:

August 2002, Criminal Contempt, statute 5a-11, held in holding cell for 7 hours until he cooperated

September 2001, threatening phone calls, domestic violence, failure to appear, blood alcohol .16, was not an assault charge, victim Sheila Easley

1996 Assaulting a Government Employee, 14-34.2 reduced to 14-33C4, (victims name provided but I will withhold since it is not a family member)
1995 Injury to personal property, 14-160, victim reimbursed (victims name provided but I will withhold)

Well we learned from this that he likes to steal, fight, threaten, domestic violence, drinks, no respect for laws and fishes.
In 1995 he was only 17 years old when this started???
I bet he was trouble even before that...........

lynnb
12-07-2010, 11:04 PM
His criminal record drying up in 2002 after being so steady for so many years in North Carolina makes me think there are more records to be found. He clearly didn't become an upstanding member of society until now.
We've also found he lived in Alabama for awhile.

passionflower
12-07-2010, 11:05 PM

I agree with you! Was he in jail? Alabama? 2nd marriage????
VA???

Soulmagent
12-07-2010, 11:06 PM
This guy knows Brittany is the daughter of a police officer. What is he really trying to say here? I mean he has to know this is not going to end pretty for him and would have known that before he set the whole chain of events into motion.

I pray Brittany saves herself before it is to late. Some kids are exceptionaly smart and do manage to see though certain things . Sometimes the lessons they are told click in their head suddenly and bring them to the truth. Hopefully Brittany is one of those kids.

I agree with the west coast theory. Maybe even Mexico.

impatientredhead
12-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Well we learned from this that he likes to steal, fight, threaten, domestic violence, drinks, no respect for laws and fishes.
In 1995 he was only 17 years old when this started???
I bet he was trouble even before that...........

We know he has a serious charge in his juvenile records, they were expunged and sealed. I can't find the article but I am positive it was assault with a deadly weapon, but he got a juvenile handling on that one.

tfrohning
12-07-2010, 11:07 PM

I posted the Bolo in scanner thread but I can't post here. (rules)

All I can say and hope I don't get in trouble: extreme caution:angel:

lynnb
12-07-2010, 11:08 PM
The only place I cam across to look at Alabama court records needed a paid subscription. But if anyone finds someplace else please share.

impatientredhead
12-07-2010, 11:08 PM
We've also found he lived in Alabama for awhile.

Alabama does not load their records to the site I use. Maybe someone else will have better luck with that state, but I will do some digging.

lynnb
12-07-2010, 11:12 PM
So far I've seen there may be a connection to Albertville Alabama and Grant Alabama.

belimom
12-07-2010, 11:14 PM
I'm really afraid that JE is going to feel backed into a corner and end up harming both himself and Brittany. He knows it's not going to be good if he comes back.

Japandaaa
12-07-2010, 11:15 PM

This is devastating and incredibly eerie.

I wonder if maybe she had made plans on telling JSE that Friday that he had to leave ? Maybe she approached him then and that's when everything went downhill ?

MBLover
On either his MS or his FB he gives his town as Franklin Co. (VA). There was also mention of Franklin Co. by one of the news reporters in either the local news program or at one of the pressers

peeples
Link so scanner thread please :)

passionflower
12-07-2010, 11:18 PM
under JURY room on Forum Jump (below) you will see scanner chatter
I do not think we are allowed to link it.
We are allowed to read but cannot bring the news up here.
Only a mod is allowed .
IIRC

A_News_Junkie
12-07-2010, 11:18 PM
Two things I noticed - most likely not of importance but will mention them anyway.
First in this video: http://www.wdbj7.com/videobeta/1fe0b8e5-0fd6-4424-85f0-239727f3dcdd/News/Easley-missing-girl-spotted-in-Salem <---- BS is holding a dog. Did they have a dog and where is it now?

Second - looking at the mothers FB last night, I looked at all her pics and she had numerous house pics - like she was getting ready to list her house or maybe it was for sale? But, if those are current pics - there was a tree and gifts under it - I wonder if those were gone?

JustPeachy
12-07-2010, 11:19 PM
I'm really afraid that JE is going to feel backed into a corner and end up harming both himself and Brittany. He knows it's not going to be good if he comes back.

Belimom, this is exactly my concern, when he is backed in a corner. I don't think he will come back willingly no matter how much his mother or anybody else pleads with him.

Reannan
12-07-2010, 11:19 PM
This guy is clearly a predator. He was on another MySpace account as a friend to someone who was 45 years old with a 16 year old daughter. The daughter is a friend on her Mother's Myspace and I swear it looks like she is posed very similar to the way Brittany is posed with JE. I wonder if he had fallen into a pattern of looking for women with teenage daughters? Frightening. As a predator, I doubt that he is camping. I am betting they are on the move using money they got from TS, from WalMart, or from panhandling. This is why it is SO important that they get this story out to the public! They have to be getting desperate where ever they are!

MBLover
12-07-2010, 11:22 PM
Several access sites to the Appalachian Trail. Access to the Blue Ridge Parkway and of course access to I-81 which is a short hop going south to I-77 (about 1 to 1 1/2 hrs.). Several State Parks in VA.

JMO...they are out of VA...probably way out of VA - especially with it being so cold here. When I came in from running errands around 6 PM it was 25 degrees according to my vehicle and that didn't count the wind chill factor. I would think they would have to have a lot of special gear to camp in a tent in VA (or anywhere close by).

Japandaaa
12-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Belimom, this is exactly my concern, when he is backed in a corner. I don't think he will come back willingly no matter how much his mother or anybody else pleads with him.

I'm worried about this as well. He seems to not have a care in the world and I'm afraid if he is cornered, then he knows he has nothing to lose and usually that turns for the worst.

peeples
12-07-2010, 11:28 PM
In one pic (in the scanner thread) either MSM or FB there is a pic of her and she has a virginia shirt on... maybe they headed t here.. I just don't know...

catydid
12-07-2010, 11:30 PM
Didn't it say in the other thread that there were 2 felony charges against him for using mom's credit card. One was probably the stuff at walmart and the other was either gas or a cash advance.

KaylynnCouture
12-07-2010, 11:30 PM
The fact that the car hasn't been spotted makes me think they ditched it and are driving something else by now..

Most Walmarts have security cameras in their parking lots. After they were caught on the surveillance cam leaving the store, did a camera pick up what car they got into?

doughgirl07
12-07-2010, 11:32 PM
I think you are referring to the burgundy shirt - that would be a Virginia tech shirt and most everyone here has one ?

Reannan
12-07-2010, 11:32 PM
The fact that the car hasn't been spotted makes me think they ditched it and are driving something else by now..

Most Walmarts have security cameras in their parking lots. After they were caught on the surveillance cam leaving the store, did a camera pick up what car they got into?

Surely they have a camera shot of them getting into a vehicle! You know, one thing that never ceases to frustrate me is these crappy surveillance photo's!!! With the technology available today, there is no excuse for such crappy photographs!

peeples
12-07-2010, 11:34 PM
Ahh ok... i didn't know how common they were

lynnb
12-07-2010, 11:34 PM
Didn't it say in the other thread that there were 2 felony charges against him for using mom's credit card. One was probably the stuff at walmart and the other was either gas or a cash advance.

IIRC one was for credit card fraud and one for larceny. But they both pertain to just the one use of the card.

impatientredhead
12-07-2010, 11:37 PM
This guy is clearly a predator. He was on another MySpace account as a friend to someone who was 45 years old with a 16 year old daughter. The daughter is a friend on her Mother's Myspace and I swear it looks like she is posed very similar to the way Brittany is posed with JE. I wonder if he had fallen into a pattern of looking for women with teenage daughters? Frightening. As a predator, I doubt that he is camping. I am betting they are on the move using money they got from TS, from WalMart, or from panhandling. This is why it is SO important that they get this story out to the public! They have to be getting desperate where ever they are!

I have found four other women with the same "i just sent you a kiss" message from him, they all have teenage daughters. Big coincidence.

passionflower
12-07-2010, 11:41 PM
Brittany in pics with her mom seemed so happy and close to mom.
BMS also looked like she had everything a normal 12 year old has
But I agree she looks and is built more like she is older than 12.
She reminds me of the girls in my 15yr old's class.

Japandaaa
12-07-2010, 11:42 PM
I have found four other women with the same "i just sent you a kiss" message from him, they all have teenage daughters. Big coincidence.

I noticed that today while browsing his MySpace. He also included the same message on a couple of younger girls profiles. They were at different times too ; so it wasn't like it was one of those messages that send the same message to everyone at once.

It makes me wonder if he hasn't tried something like this before with a woman and her daughter .....

Reannan
12-07-2010, 11:43 PM

If I was any of them, I would be totally creeped out! :eek: I am assuming LE would be all over interviewing them to find out what they know about his likes/dislikes and what makes him tick. :waitasec:

passionflower
12-07-2010, 11:49 PM
I noticed that today while browsing his MySpace. He also included the same message on a couple of younger girls profiles. They were at different times too ; so it wasn't like it was one of those messages that send the same message to everyone at once.

It makes me wonder if he hasn't tried something like this before with a woman and her daughter .....

I agree with you, I think he has a pattern.........hope some people come up and tell LE how this guy works!

lynnb
12-07-2010, 11:54 PM
Does anyone here have an IPhone?

passionflower
12-07-2010, 11:56 PM

no sorry I don't

krista
12-07-2010, 11:59 PM
Lynnb:

yes, I do

paris_paris
12-08-2010, 12:04 AM
I have an iPhone too.

passionflower
12-08-2010, 12:05 AM
If JSE is aggitated and upset and Brittney is crying (drama queen is how my grandson explains girls) then she will only be an annoying 'thing' to him.
I'm very afraid that if she doesn't do everything he says, he will get rid of her.
He seems like a very angry desturbed man hanging out with a kid.
If she can't or won't leave him;I look for a very bad outcome shortly.

passionflower
12-08-2010, 12:06 AM
why,the IPhone? allerts?

KaylynnCouture
12-08-2010, 12:07 AM

I have an iPhone..

Reannan
12-08-2010, 12:07 AM
I pray that Brittany realizes the situation she is in and manages to play along with him until she can get a chance to run. God keep her safe tonight!!

tlcya
12-08-2010, 12:10 AM
Welcome to Websleuths! I could not help but notice your location and was wondering how much publicity this particular case has been receiving in your area. Have you seen the Ambert Alert on road signs, TV, and/or text messaging? Just wondering and praying actually that this case is getting a lot of national attention. TIA.

I am in central IL but this one hits me straight through the heart. I had heard nothing of this excepting for here on WS and on CNN/HLN.

I am so sorry to disappoint. I don't think it is getting enough attention. No Amber alert. No crawls across the botom of TV, no nothing.

I am praying this young lady is smart like Elizabeth Smart and Jaycee Dugard. Those young ladies survived their sickos. I am praying this child can adapt quickly and conform to survive til an opportunity comes to escape.

Japandaaa
12-08-2010, 12:14 AM

I do.

lynnb
12-08-2010, 12:15 AM
why,the IPhone? allerts?

Sorry, didn't mean to seem like I was talking in code. I just remembered that people with IPhones can actually see a little on the private myspace pages and I was just taking rollcall in case we hear of anything. I don't have one. I was just wondering who does. Should have explained when I asked. It was one of those things that just popped into my head. Sorry.

cluciano63
12-08-2010, 12:26 AM
I agree this is not getting enough attention...they may well still have the same car, and are states away by now, but are they being looked for nationwide?

Is there such a thing as a national Amber Alert or are they just state-wide? And if they end the Amber Alert tomorrow, then what?

Soulmagent
12-08-2010, 12:49 AM
I have an iPhone..

Anyway we could get screen shots of the I Phone stuff we cannot see online?

krista
12-08-2010, 01:01 AM
Despite her size and physical maturity, Brittany looks like a scared little girl in that walmart photo.

I think she 'fell in love' with JE.....and that he was a welcome release for her, after her beloved brother passed away unexpectedly. Despite TS's love for her daughter, she clearly feels empty and lost without her son. I could see Brittany wanting to escape that. I've got to wonder if she knows/knew her mother was dead when she was caught on that walmart camera. She looks worried, anxious. I wonder if that's just about running away or if she knows something. It's possible---if they are camping--that she doesn't know about her mother's murder. It's also possible that she participated.

I think isolating her in the woods somewhere is even more dangerous for her. She's 12. She will eventually want to go home, go shopping, go be with her friends, etc.
The temps are REALLY cold down south. It's near freezing an hour south of NC with 14 mph wind gusts. I LIKE camping and I wouldn't want to do it in this weather. I can't imagine a 12 year old girl would either.

krista
12-08-2010, 01:03 AM

:banghead: As soon as I find something relevant/helpful, sure....I'll be happy to post it!!

christee
12-08-2010, 01:19 AM
Link to Scanner Alerts Thread...

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5875595&highlight=Brittany#post5875595

Brittany Smith's posts start with #509

sherbetjello
12-08-2010, 01:19 AM
:banghead: As soon as I find something relevant/helpful, sure....I'll be happy to post it!!

If you could, my camera crapped out on me, if you can see his profile through your phone he has an interesting blog about not being able to see his child.

He seemed distressed about it, but that was posted a year (or so) ago.

I tried to take a shot with my camera but my card was full (and I am holiday lazy and haven't downloaded that card.)

Just a heads up.

Japandaaa
12-08-2010, 01:20 AM

I will do the same !

christee
12-08-2010, 01:30 AM
This is just my :twocents: but I think it's very likely they got on I81, heading south to warm weather!

ruthieroo
12-08-2010, 01:32 AM
I don't have an iPhone - I have a Droid and I can see the status updates and whatnot on my phone as well.

I'm assuming any phone that has internet on it can view them..? Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone who thought only an iPhone could do it.

MomofBoys
12-08-2010, 02:08 AM
I live in central west Florida on the coast and it's forecasted to be 32 here tonight. That's darned cold for being so close to the water. If they do plan on camping, they better drive far, far west. I would think they'd be afraid to seek a homeless shelter or draw attention to themselves by spending all night in a Walmart or whatever. Hopefully it flushes them out when they get cold enough to do something stupid like use one of Tina's credit cards.

I work in hotels, and the fortunate thing is that a older guy checking in with a 12 year-old girl will draw attention. If a front desk agent works at it long enough, they can spot hinkiness before it gets out of the car. Customers might start to blend together for a cashier at a grocery store, but in most hotels you're forced to take ID, get personal information, interact about room types and rates--plenty of time for people to act hedgy and give themselves away as suspicious. People aren't as crafty as they think.

I think Brittany was probably complicit at the beginning, but the reality will probably set in fast. She'll realize the finality of what's happened to her mom. She'll miss her room and her friends and being warm and going to the fridge and reading Harry Potter or whatever else. It was probably all exciting and dangerous at first and she was likely angry at her mother. An anger fed by this guy with whom she was/is infatuated. I don't think this was a forcible abduction, but it might as well be by the end, I'm sure.

Sad. The FB posts really chill to the bone. Family says she was naive and she probably didn't believe it til the very end. Question is, what on earth did he/they say or do to make her so frightened?

Japandaaa
12-08-2010, 02:19 AM
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll136/Japandaaa/Picture7-1.png

I've been working on the image in Photoshop, but it appears I can't make it any clearer. I learned in college ( I have a degree in Graphic Design and Computer Illustration ) that what we see on TV such as CSI, Criminal Minds, etc. is left to the pros. No one can really replace pixels that are lost in small surveillance cam pictures/videos ; so unfortunately it's hard to get somewhat of a decent picture.

I was noticing as I was zooming in and trying different filters, that it appears to be poles coming out of the back of the shopping cart towards JSE. They match up in Photoshop ( using the Magic Wand ) as if they are attached to whatever the big blue object is in the shopping cart. BS also seems to appear to have the edge of her shirt ( colors also matched up using the Magic Wand ) in her hand, which is a sign of nervousness. Also, when I enlarged the pic and judging by the pixel hex colors, there's something in the front of the shopping cart that appears to be green and yellow. I don't know if it is one object with the two colors or two separate objects.

cluciano63
12-08-2010, 02:51 AM
I don't think they would check into a place where they both have to go to the desk...more likely to try roadside motels where you drive to your door. Every town has them on the outskirts, some probably don't even require ID. (Also, Brittany could probably pass for much older than she is...especially at a glance)

I wish the Amber Alert was more of a big deal...if only people in the immediate area are aware, that does not help much.

SuziQ
12-08-2010, 02:52 AM

From the reports I have seen everywhere but the extreme SW is below 40 to below freezing at night. Even Tucson has been below 40.

Janeumayer
12-08-2010, 03:13 AM

From the angle of the pic, Im guessing it came from an ATM machine. JMO

everyoneneedsavoice
12-08-2010, 03:33 AM
Forgive me if this has already been posted...I missed a lot today...I didn't realize she had called a friend scared of this creep...was this covered in one of today's pressers?

snipped>

Brittany Smith called her friend a few months ago, scared. The 12-year-old was afraid her mother's live-in boyfriend "would come over and take her away and hurt her mom," the friend, Rebecca Kilian, said Tuesday.

Brittany asked Rebecca, 13, to stay on the phone with her until her mom got home.

"She told me not to call the police," Rebecca said.

Brittany's mother, Tina Smith, was worried, too. On Thursday, the 41-year-old Roanoke County nurse posted this on her Facebook profile:

"If I should die before I wake God bless my friends. May I be remembered for my good heart and hopeless romantic ways."

And on Friday, the last day she was seen alive, Tina Smith posted this: "God please protect us from the evils of this world."

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/12/search-continues-va-girl-12-after-amber-alert-issued

hollyblue
12-08-2010, 03:54 AM
I pray that Brittany realizes the situation she is in and manages to play along with him until she can get a chance to run. God keep her safe tonight!!

My fear is that he has frightened her in telling her something....like she'll be in big trouble if she gets caught and she needs to stay with him so he can protect her. Slime ball psycho will manipulate to no end to make sure he keeps control of her. If not....bad news. She's his gained prize.....

hollyblue
12-08-2010, 03:58 AM

Against TOS to post anything from or discuss from a private social site. We just got warned on the last thead. :(

belimom
12-08-2010, 03:59 AM
I've been working on the image in Photoshop, but it appears I can't make it any clearer. I learned in college ( I have a degree in Graphic Design and Computer Illustration ) that what we see on TV such as CSI, Criminal Minds, etc. is left to the pros. No one can really replace pixels that are lost in small surveillance cam pictures/videos ; so unfortunately it's hard to get somewhat of a decent picture.

I was noticing as I was zooming in and trying different filters, that it appears to be poles coming out of the back of the shopping cart towards JSE. They match up in Photoshop ( using the Magic Wand ) as if they are attached to whatever the big blue object is in the shopping cart. BS also seems to appear to have the edge of her shirt ( colors also matched up using the Magic Wand ) in her hand, which is a sign of nervousness. Also, when I enlarged the pic and judging by the pixel hex colors, there's something in the front of the shopping cart that appears to be green and yellow. I don't know if it is one object with the two colors or two separate objects.

I had Photoshop on my PC but haven't installed it on my Mac yet... Have you tried desaturating/saturating color by color to see what shapes appear with the different colors? Just an idea that I can't try myself...!

belimom
12-08-2010, 04:02 AM
I just had a thought:

1) Maybe she had been beaten earlier in the week, hence the comments on FB. Her death could be by something else?

OR

2) Maybe she was beaten but whoever beat her was just beating her AGAIN - not meaning to kill her. But the cumulative damage was more than her body could take.

Just trying to think outside the box, even though I think it's entirely likely that she was killed on purpose or at least that her death was apparent, regardless of being purposeful.

Lera213
12-08-2010, 04:03 AM
I live miles away from Hampton Roads, Va. It is cold here too but if they had cold weather sleeping bags and Tent (-20 protection) they could be in the wood but what I'm thinking is that they are in some boarded up house. Think about it, an abandon home with a garage (or not) the car could be hid inside the garage. It is on our news station a lot here. My local paper is the dailypress.

His mother's plea is bothering me, I think she sent him a hidden message to him. Perhaps something he said to her when last spoken. MOO (thinking out loud)

I would totally agree that he went somewhere he felt comfortable or knew the area. Probably where he loved as a child (a happy memory of his) Camp? Boy Scouts retreat? Who are his childhood friends (school age at the time) They could give a good insight where he could go.

belimom
12-08-2010, 04:04 AM
Against TOS to post anything from or discuss from a private social site. We just got warned on the last thead. :(

Yes, and someone posted a name a couple of pages back from quoting one of the sites. It should probably be removed - we don't want to get in trouble again/have the thread shut down, and we don't want to associate an innocent person's name publicly with this case. :twocents:

Lera213
12-08-2010, 04:21 AM
http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/virginia/search-continues-for-missing-va.-girl#

VDOT it took over an hour and half to put out the amber alert other areas besides the I 81

CN2Souls
12-08-2010, 07:32 AM
Just a little update from the state of Florida...

I75 (Irox) has Amber Alert Signs Blasting all up and down the interstate also I 95

There are tons of camping areas around here and most you can set up camp and then a ranger will come around with in the next day or two to collect the payment.

Yes it is cold here this morning and I live on an Island in the Florida Keys...

One of My sisters ( I have 7 ) who lives in Boca Raton FL who drives a Silver Neon..

Was stopped by Troopers last night and let them search her car...

She is in her 50... but is same height and look as BS....

So are boys in Blue are doing their job...

LMax
12-08-2010, 08:05 AM
I've been wondering if I should be listening to Florida scanners...

Soulmagent
12-08-2010, 08:42 AM
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll136/Japandaaa/Picture7-1.png

I think the blue thing in the front of the cart that appears to be coming out of the top of whatever is in the cart is the blue seat abd belt where you put small children and is not part of the thing in the cart.
It looks like a bag in front of the blue thing inside the cart where there is a space. It does make the object appear longer then it is . The angle of the cart/cam also gives it blurry blended appearance.

Have you tryed taking a picture of the picture and enlarging that picture?

Japandaaa
12-08-2010, 08:55 AM
I had Photoshop on my PC but haven't installed it on my Mac yet... Have you tried desaturating/saturating color by color to see what shapes appear with the different colors? Just an idea that I can't try myself...!

I did. I also copied just the shopping cart area of the pic and focused on it to try to clear it up. I'm going to mess around with it more today. It seemed like I could clear the picture up more using iPhoto than Photoshop, but you can't get really down to detail using iPhoto.

mahoneys07
12-08-2010, 08:55 AM
I played with the pic a little adding colors ect the blue thingin the cart appears to be a hard shelled case with 2 silver latches on the side. rectangular in shape with the top slanted to a flat top..if that makes sense. This is what I see JMO

LadyLuck
12-08-2010, 09:06 AM
It looks like one of those canopy that you set up for shade. The reason I say that is I bought one from WalMart this summer and it was in a blue case just like that. The blue cover is material like but it is hard due to the legs and case in side. Why he would be buying that I have no idea....

nursebeeme
12-08-2010, 09:07 AM
http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wdbj-amber-alert-issued-for-missing-120610,0,5737411.story

interview (video) with Chief Lavinder from this am... no leads over night... no new leads since release of video

objective now to find Brittany

Japandaaa
12-08-2010, 09:09 AM
I think the blue thing in the front of the cart that appears to be coming out of the top of whatever is in the cart is the blue seat abd belt where you put small children and is not part of the thing in the cart.
It looks like a bag in front of the blue thing inside the cart where there is a space. It does make the object appear longer then it is . The angle of the cart/cam also gives it blurry blended appearance.

Have you tryed taking a picture of the picture and enlarging that picture?

Well, from what I get in the picture, the blue childrens seat is pushed up and not down. You can see it faintly above what looks to be poles. Plus, the blue of the seat did not match the hex color of the blue from whatever is in the shopping cart. Even with shading of darker/lighter, it wasn't even in the same hex field as the blue of the children's seat.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll136/Japandaaa/Picture7-1-1.png

The top circle is where the childrens seat is located, then the middle circle is what appears to be poles or something coming from the object from the big bottom circle in the shopping cart. It could be part of the item or it could be a seperate item. Another thing is whatever is coming out the back of the cart is actually outside of the cart and not inside where the childrens seat would be located, if it was pushed down.

nursebeeme
12-08-2010, 09:10 AM
According to WDBJ, Easley dropped out of high school in Ayden, North Carolina after being arrested for assault with a deadly weapon against a government official. He then moved to Wilmington, married and divorced a year later in 2001. In 2004, he married again in Huntsville, Alabama. He is also reported to have family in the Martinsville, Virginia area.

Easley's ex-father-in-law told WDBJ he was contacted by Roanoke County Police and investigators believe Easley may be in North Carolina.

Investigators believe Easley is driving Tina Smith's 2005 Dodge Neon. The car has Virginia tag XKF-2365.

Easley is considered extremely dangerous, according to investigators.

http://www.digtriad.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=151499&catid=57

Lera213
12-08-2010, 09:22 AM
That blue in the shopping cart could be a few cases of water

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sam-s-Choice-Purified-Drinking-Water-12-pk/10324684

Looks like maybe 4 cases, one stacked on top of each other? I noticed the bottom of the white bags are not in view only the handle part which means the blue is in the cart.

Chili Fries
12-08-2010, 09:24 AM
The blue thing in the cart may be bottled water. You can buy the 24 pack bottles that are packaged in plastic. I have some in my house now that are in blue packaging and look a lot like that. Obviously tough to tell for sure though.

Lera213
12-08-2010, 09:29 AM
I"m not sure but I think when you use a credit card at any wal mart self checkout (assuming that is where he would check out with a stolen card) if the purchase is over 100 dollars then a cashier has to come over and validate it by checking your identification.

I'm thinking that this wasn't a credit card but rather a debit card. Many people say credit card to refer to debit cards.

Strawberry Fields
12-08-2010, 09:30 AM

I75 (Irox) has Amber Alert Signs Blasting all up and down the interstate also I 95

There are tons of camping areas around here and most you can set up camp and then a ranger will come around with in the next day or two to collect the payment.

One of My sisters ( I have 7 ) who lives in Boca Raton FL who drives a Silver Neon..

This gives me a glimmer of hope. Thanks so much for this post. I just wish other states were as involved as FL appears to be. It will take the whole country to band together and start looking for all of these missing children and adults. If the latest cases have not caused more national attention; i.e., the three little boys from MI, I don't know what it will take to wake everyone up.

duckingoff
12-08-2010, 09:31 AM
http://www.gazettevirginian.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2173%3Acommunity-waits-holds-hope-as-search-continues-for-missing-girl&catid=34%3Anews&Itemid=54

Lera213
12-08-2010, 09:40 AM
http://www.gazettevirginian.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2173%3Acommunity-waits-holds-hope-as-search-continues-for-missing-girl&catid=34%3Anews&Itemid=54

A lot of information here, the name change on fb was kind of explained too.

swanniee11
12-08-2010, 09:53 AM

Just to add to this, although my 13yr old is not allowed to have a facebook, I check out what her classmates are up to (yes, I'm one of those moms) and the kids will also put down friends as their siblings or children or married to etc etc.

raysgirl1126
12-08-2010, 10:01 AM

This is a great article! Lots of info! Thank you! :)

waltzingmatilda
12-08-2010, 10:11 AM
I am thinking out loud here and trying to think like this perp.....

I think it is more likely that he went to Wilmington than Ayden. Ayden is a small rural town and it is not very easy to get there. I think he would be spotted very easily there. On the other hand Wilmington is a little big city, (if that makes sense) There would be more places to hide out and I 40 is a straight shot from I 95 to Wilmington. There's not alot of LE presence on the stretch of I 40 to Wilmington from where I 95 exits either.

I will check the Amber Alert sign for any info on Brittany when I drive into town later today. NC should have this plastered everywhere! This guy is dangerous.

It's only a matter of time before he commits more crimes, IMO, if he hasn't already. He will eventually need money and will try and ditch the car and steal another one.

There was a lockdown of 3 schools in Wilm. yesterday. Here is a link to a very vague article but it sounds as though the suspect ditched his car and was trying to take the woman's. Probably not related, but ya never know.
http://www.wect.com/Global/story.asp?S=13631167

I'll spread the word to all I know in this area to BOLO for the silver Neon. That's all I know to do. I am so worried about Brittany!

MOO

wm

krista
12-08-2010, 10:12 AM

I disagree with the 'relatives' belief about the name change. I AGREE that kids DO do this....change their last names to their friends on FB and MS. However they ALSO, and more frequently, change their names to that of their boyfriends.....pretending to be married to the person they are dating.

Brittany changing her last name to Easley would/should have been a HUGE red flag. He isn't her friend!!! He shouldn't be her friend!! She's a 12 year old. imho.

CN2Souls
12-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Just wanted to add this with out saying to much... Seeing how LE isn't saying much....

I have a BF that lives in the mountains above Bland VA and she said they LE are looking around that area also...

I don't know how far that is from there last place...

I couldn't read a map if my life depended on it. LOL

Blue Ridge
12-08-2010, 10:20 AM
However they ALSO, and more frequently, change their names to that of their boyfriends.....pretending to be married to the person they are dating.

RSBM

I agree with you Krista - it looks like it would be the modern day technical -age equivelant of what WE did back in the 70's as kids when we had a crush on a guy - we'd scribble our fantasy "married names" on notebook paper, trying all different combinations LOL

Beth Jones, Beth Smith Jones, Mrs Elizabeth S Jones, Mrs John Q Jones, etc.

Fyrecat
12-08-2010, 10:25 AM
I live in central west Florida on the coast and it's forecasted to be 32 here tonight. That's darned cold for being so close to the water. If they do plan on camping, they better drive far, far west. I would think they'd be afraid to seek a homeless shelter or draw attention to themselves by spending all night in a Walmart or whatever. Hopefully it flushes them out when they get cold enough to do something stupid like use one of Tina's credit cards.

I work in hotels, and the fortunate thing is that a older guy checking in with a 12 year-old girl will draw attention. If a front desk agent works at it long enough, they can spot hinkiness before it gets out of the car. Customers might start to blend together for a cashier at a grocery store, but in most hotels you're forced to take ID, get personal information, interact about room types and rates--plenty of time for people to act hedgy and give themselves away as suspicious. People aren't as crafty as they think.

I think Brittany was probably complicit at the beginning, but the reality will probably set in fast. She'll realize the finality of what's happened to her mom. She'll miss her room and her friends and being warm and going to the fridge and reading Harry Potter or whatever else. It was probably all exciting and dangerous at first and she was likely angry at her mother. An anger fed by this guy with whom she was/is infatuated. I don't think this was a forcible abduction, but it might as well be by the end, I'm sure.

Sad. The FB posts really chill to the bone. Family says she was naive and she probably didn't believe it til the very end. Question is, what on earth did he/they say or do to make her so frightened?

She looks older than 12. She also could disguise herself, or he could disguise her, as simply as changing her hairstyle and adding a hat or different kind of clothes. She doesn't look like a pre-teen girl. She looks anywhere for 15 to 18.

MBLover
12-08-2010, 10:39 AM
CN2 - Bland is about 2 - 2 1/2 hours SW of Roanoke/Salem

nursebeeme
12-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Hill remarked that online exchanges between Brittany and her mother, as indicated by Glor, perhaps alluded to a difficult time between the two.
But Lavinder said they don't have any information that the relationship was strained.

"As far as we know, you know, the mother and daughter were doing some shopping or some errands together on Friday morning," he said. "So, we really don't have any positive information that anything like that was going on."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/12/08/earlyshow/main7129593.shtml?tag=contentBody;cbsCarousel

Soulmagent
12-08-2010, 10:43 AM
I disagree with the 'relatives' belief about the name change. I AGREE that kids DO do this....change their last names to their friends on FB and MS. However they ALSO, and more frequently, change their names to that of their boyfriends.....pretending to be married to the person they are dating.

Brittany changing her last name to Easley would/should have been a HUGE red flag. He isn't her friend!!! He shouldn't be her friend!! She's a 12 year old. imho.

My kid is always changing her name to . Either to her friends last name or related to something that happened in school.

Right now it is some randam term that isnt her name . Same with my niece who is a little older.

I could see how the relatives would miss it but no way should mom or dad missed it. They should know why the kid is using the name.

Also my 13 year old is the same build as Brittany as is my 12 year old. I dont think she looks older. I think she looks exactly like a 12-13 year old.

My niece is 15 and she looks alot older than my 2 girls.

belimom
12-08-2010, 10:50 AM
...(snipped)...

Also my 13 year old is the same build as Brittany as is my 12 year old. I dont think she looks older. I think she looks exactly like a 12-13 year old.

My niece is 15 and she looks alot older than my 2 girls.

For me, it's not just her 'build', it's the way she dressed and the sultry/pouty looks. And pulling her shirt up in the MS pic. I saw more than one picture with alot of cleavage - even a push-up bra. Very suggestive photos, IMHO. Something happened between the pics someone found last year and the ones from this year - I think something sexual. This is only MOO.

I know 12-yr-old girls w/ the same build but not the makeup, clothing, looks, etc, that I've seen with Brittany.

krista
12-08-2010, 10:50 AM
I'm sure it's been said, but I just can't find it...

What is the date/time stamp on the walmart photo and where is this walmart? Is this the local chain they would use or not? TIA!!

ETA: Found it. "Police did release a surveillance camera photograph that captured Brittany leaving a Walmart store in her hometown of Salem, Va., Friday evening in the company of Jeffrey Scott Easley, a 32-year-old landscaper who met Tina Smith online this summer and moved into their house in October. "

http://abcnews.go.com/US/amber-alert-brittany-mae-smith-continues-mothers-murder/story?id=12340893&page=1

duckingoff
12-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Hill remarked that online exchanges between Brittany and her mother, as indicated by Glor, perhaps alluded to a difficult time between the two.
But Lavinder said they don't have any information that the relationship was strained.

"As far as we know, you know, the mother and daughter were doing some shopping or some errands together on Friday morning," he said. "So, we really don't have any positive information that anything like that was going on."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/12/08/earlyshow/main7129593.shtml?tag=contentBody;cbsCarousel

Lavinder also indicates that LE is not getting the cooperation from social networks FB & MS. Can't a judge issue a warrant for accessability to their accounts as well as cell phone records/texts?

Also curious, has anyone heard if any neighbors saw the vehicle return to the house after the Walmart trip? New reports say that Brittany was last seen at her home address Friday but is that after the Walmart sighting?

nursebeeme
12-08-2010, 10:59 AM

http://www.chronodex.com/index.cfm?orgid=roanokecounty
looking at the school calendar they had school on that friday..... was she there? shopping or running errands on a school morning???

nursebeeme
12-08-2010, 11:03 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/amber-alert-brittany-mae-smith-continues-mothers-murder/story?id=12340893&page=1

krista
12-08-2010, 11:06 AM
looking at the school calendar they had school on that friday..... was she there? shopping or running errands on a school morning???

Good thinking! Why was she shopping with her mom and not at school? It concerns me that Brittany was there to witness/participate in her mother's death....likely early Friday morning.

Do we know what time Tina's last message was written on FB Friday??

MBLover
12-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Another presser at 10:30. WDBJ7.com will stream live from their web-site

tfrohning
12-08-2010, 11:07 AM

I thought that too about facebook. I seen the kids doing that. So she thought of JF has her best friend. it still weird most of the kids had their by boyfriend or girlfriend. still make me go hmmm

MBLover
12-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Krista - this Salem, VA Wal-Mart would not have been far from their home. Maybe 10 minutes at the most. This would have been the closest Wal-Mart to them.

CarrieBean
12-08-2010, 11:09 AM
For me, it's not just her 'build', it's the way she dressed and the sultry/pouty looks. And pulling her shirt up in the MS pic. I saw more than one picture with alot of cleavage - even a push-up bra. Very suggestive photos, IMHO. Something happened between the pics someone found last year and the ones from this year - I think something sexual. This is only MOO.

I know 12-yr-old girls w/ the same build but not the makeup, clothing, looks, etc, that I've seen with Brittany.

Sadly, this is very common with young girls these days. Little girls (always have) want to grow up fast. It's just more in our faces with these social sites. My boys are damn lucky they're not girls, in my household.

Bee Happy
12-08-2010, 11:14 AM
I homeschool my 2 girls, and they have FB. But they just don't get the way their friends type, talk like they are older, add siblings that aren't siblings, pretend to be married. It makes me so proud most times, but then other times I worry that they don't understand their peers and could that be doing more harm. Basically, my kids are still KIDS. It's hard raising girls! And I'm pregnant with another. Oy vey. LOL

brighidin
12-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Good thinking! Why was she shopping with her mom and not at school? It concerns me that Brittany was there to witness/participate in her mother's death....likely early Friday morning.

Do we know what time Tina's last message was written on FB Friday??

According to this link, it was at 1:30 in the afternoon.

(Thanks to nursebeeme for posting it earlier.)

waltzingmatilda
12-08-2010, 11:19 AM
I homeschool my 2 girls, and they have FB. But they just don't get the way their friends type, talk like they are older, add siblings that aren't siblings, pretend to be married. It makes me so proud most times, but then other times I worry that they don't understand their peers and could that be doing more harm. Basically, my kids are still KIDS. It's hard raising girls! And I'm pregnant with another. Oy vey. LOL

Congratulations!!!!! They will grow up and become lovely young women and your best friends!

wm

Reannan
12-08-2010, 11:22 AM
My youngest daughter (10) has a FB account because that is how all of her dance team communicates. I have her password, and I monitor it and I have not really seen anything inappropriate. Some of the older girls in our life, 12, 13, 14, 15, are exactly like BS and I do find it concerning. My 10 year old is NOTHING like the 10 year old girl's of my youth. I deal with it by talking to her. We have frequent conversations about the dangers in this world, and what she is going to be exposed to. She feels comfortable talking to me about it, and I feel that she has the necessary information and skill set to deal appropriately with it. My job is to keep watching and make SURE she is making the right decisions. Because of this current case, I have now discussed the issue of older guys with her and the concept of "the choking game". Happily, we have these discussions, and then she immediately returns to being a happy child, dancing around the house, singing, drawing, reading etc. I guess my philosophy is that we live in a dangerous world, and the best defense is a good offense. :twocents:

peeples
12-08-2010, 11:22 AM
I played with the pic a little adding colors ect the blue thingin the cart appears to be a hard shelled case with 2 silver latches on the side. rectangular in shape with the top slanted to a flat top..if that makes sense. This is what I see JMO

It looks like a tool box, like onemy hubby has that is black.. however we found a tent and some luggage and one of those canopoies last night on walmart.com that could also give the same illusion because of reflective stripping

kikid
12-08-2010, 11:23 AM

I said pretty much the same yesterday about my just turned 13 daughter. She is nowhere as knowledgeable about life as some of the girls in her grade (7th), and seems to get along better with her 8 1/2 yr old sister than her peer group. I used to worry about her being more innocent or immature but as time goes on I become less concerned, I think she is about the same as I was when I was her age -- I think its the 12/13 yr olds today who know tooo much and dress like they are 18 and wearing make-up and push up bras that should be worried about. jmoo and all that jazz.

cleo612
12-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Didn't they say yesterday that there would not be another presser until they had something new to report? Now, they are saying that a presser will be held at 10:30 (about 7 minutes from now). (I could be mistaken about the first sentence as I am following numerous cases here.)

nursebeeme
12-08-2010, 11:25 AM
According to this link, it was at 1:30 in the afternoon.

(Thanks to nursebeeme for posting it earlier.)
here is the snip for a possible timeline:

raysgirl1126
12-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Link for the 10:30am presser

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/livestreaming/

lynnb
12-08-2010, 11:26 AM
link to presser...doing mic check now

~Lisa~
12-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Police to hold 10:30 a.m. news conference to update the search for a missing 12 year old
http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wdbj-amber-alert-issued-for-missing-120610,0,5737411.story

raysgirl1126
12-08-2010, 11:28 AM
presser delay'd to 10:45

nursebeeme
delayed until 1045

lynnb
presser delayed till 10:45

kikid
can we start the timeline on Thanksgiving when family witnessed inappropriate touching between JE and BS? Then the date the relatives called and Tina said "He is out of here". Then the relative contacted social services on Friday the 3rd. This all happened that last week before she was killed, I think it all plays into whatever happened to her.

Strawberry Fields
12-08-2010, 11:31 AM
I personally think someone would have spotted that car if they were moving around. Just my own opinion but I think this guy found a place for them to hide closeby way before he took Brittany. He could have manipulated the mother and daughter so much that each was afraid to go against him and so it has given the appearance Brittany AND the mom wanted to be more than his friend. I cringe at the thought of TS going to work and worrying all her shift about her daughter being alone with this creep. Then poor Brittany had to go to school and was probably afraid for her mom too. She was very vulnerable with the holidays coming up and being without her son, and so if he said "if you go to work and say anything to anyone, you and your daughter will both suffer". JMO or imagination at work here. I am leaning more towards BS not going willingly with this guy. He could have even drugged her and that may be why he did not have to be holding onto her as they were leaving Walmart.

lynnb
12-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Once again, I have to question why no one who was suspicious said anything to Brittany's father. The man is a police officer. Why call CCS but not mention a word to the dad?

MBLover
12-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Probably because Tina's family didn't want this to look bad on Tina (in regards to her ex) if this were really nothing....I'm guessing.

hollye
12-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Once again, I have to question why no one who was suspicious said anything to Brittany's father. The man is a police officer. Why call CCS but not mention a word to the dad?

I thought I had heard that the dad doesn't really have a relationship with her and hasn't seen her in quite a while. I may be mistaken though.

lynnb
12-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Probably because Tina's family didn't want this to look bad on Tina (in regards to her ex) if this were really nothing....I'm guessing.

but wouldn't CCS notify the father that there was an investigation into his daughter's homelife?

Jersey*Girl
12-08-2010, 11:42 AM
FYI everyone:

First ... Good morning!

Second, thought I'd bring this over since we keep seeing underage children on Facebook & MySpace. This is directly from Facebook, under their terms & services, etc.

No information from children under age 13. If you are under age 13, please do not attempt to register for Facebook or provide any personal information about yourself to us. If we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from a child under age 13, please contact us through this help page.

Parental participation. We strongly recommend that minors 13 years of age or older ask their parents for permission before sending any information about themselves to anyone over the Internet and we encourage parents to teach their children about safe internet use practices. Materials to help parents talk to their children about safe internet use can be found on this help page.
Unquote

http://www.facebook.com/policy.php

Facebook specifically states they do not want any information of or from a child under the age of 13 to have an a/c. To report a child under the age of 13, use this help page:
http://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=underage

Here's a link to help parents of children with Facebook a/cs:
http://www.facebook.com/help/?page=937

Reannan, this is definitely not directed at you sweetie. Please don't think that. It's just that the more I come here to Websleuths and we investigate these kids going missing and found DEAD, 9 times out of 10 they have flipping FB or MS a/cs. If we find sex offenders on these internet sites, we turn them in and their a/cs are deleted. Now we're investigating Brittany's disappearance - she's 12! I've seen most or all of her MySpace communications on my iPhone. You can also see it on a Blackberry & Android. All you have to do is go to your phone's browser and log into your MS a/c. The type their myspace url into the browser, it'll pull up their page. Once there just click on STREAM & you can see their content. I don't care what a single person says regarding this - something was going on between this girl & that lunatic for awhile now. It's obvious to anyone that's viewed those comments... What the extent of that was is beyond me as I'm not in their inner circle. If friends & family saw it, how could the mother not have seen it, especially until it was too late? I personally believe he's been GROOMING her for a long time now. Something's hinky, that's for sure. I am personally reporting every single one of her friends as underage to Facebook. If the police or FBI want them to stay up until after their investigation, then they can intervene. These CHILDREN should not be on these social networking sites. Maybe they should try AOL or email through their parents.

belimom
I thought I had heard that the dad doesn't really have a relationship with her and hasn't seen her in quite a while. I may be mistaken though.

No, I read an article where he has joint custody and she was seen at church with him this fall. When she went missing, he contacted his former minister, who now attends the same church. (I'll look for the article)

Here you go - it was the article duckingoff posted on the previous page: http://www.gazettevirginian.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2173%3Acommunity-waits-holds-hope-as-search-continues-for-missing-girl&catid=34%3Anews&Itemid=54

hollye
Presser Starting

hollye
12-08-2010, 11:44 AM
trying to establish a timeline
establishing time of death difficult
thinking in the region of last friday, difficult to determine

hollye
new info about dodge neon, belonged to tina smith, will email pic of what vehicle looks like, has some type of spoiler/fin

MBLover
but wouldn't CCS notify the father that there was an investigation into his daughter's homelife?

I would guess that they would...but it would not be coming directly from the family - just indirectly. It wouldn't be Tina's family going against her... I'm not explaining this as I'd like...but I hope you get my drift

hollye
12-08-2010, 11:45 AM
major concern is 6 days into investigation and no contact with brittany
almost positive that someone knows where they are
weather's bad, need food

chasing.halos
12-08-2010, 11:46 AM
"what we are dealing with is a 12 year old girl, consent is irrelevant"

Obtained felony warrant for abduction

Don't forget that she is a 12 year old in the company of a 32 year old man

hollye
alot of rumors about relationship and she's 12, can't make consent and not old enough to make decisions
working to execute felony warrant
don't forget 12yo girl with 32yo man

Jersey*Girl
major concern is 6 days into investigation and no contact with brittany
almost positive that someone knows where they are
weather's bad, need food

hollye, is there a link to the presser?

lynnb
12-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Why does he keep referring to him as "Mister Easley"? To emphasize the fact that he is a grown man to all of her friends that are listening?

chasing.halos
12-08-2010, 11:48 AM
Says someone to drop off the face of the earth with little money, thinks someone is giving them money or support. Has no idea where they are.

hollye
just a feeling that someone knows something
they had very little $ at the time and someone has to be providing them money or support to remain unlocated for this time

chasing.halos
hollye, is there a link to the presser?

chasing.halos
12-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Team of 6 people going through the tips. No other purchases w credit card. Britt's cell phone has not been used.

chasing.halos
12-08-2010, 11:50 AM
Britt's safety is paramount here. Gap in time don't know anything between Friday and Monday.

belimom
12-08-2010, 11:51 AM
just a feeling that someone knows something
they had very little $ at the time and someone has to be providing them money or support to remain unlocated for this time

I respectfully disagree with that belief. Think of Elizabeth Smart. Or just someone going camping: not enough time has passed for them to need to restock food, etc, at this point. Especially if they grabbed stuff from the house. :twocents:

hollye
no record of further use of credit card
brittany's cell phone not used
have a team working on tina's death
once locate brittany & je, will open a lot of doors to investigation
don't have anything between friday and monday that we are hanging on to
asked fb and ms to cooperate and have not been successful to getting access to those sites and will persue whatever actions necessary to get that data

3:30 next presser, if not earlier

chasing.halos
Another presser scheduled at 3:30.

brighidin
Still doesn't want to elaborate on what was purchased at Walmart.
has 6 people going over tips.

has a warrant re: abduction to serve on Easley.

Is Tina's murder taking a backseat? Has a team working on that. brittany's safety is paramount. Once she is located, that will open a lot of doors re: homicide investigation.

Facebook & mySpace: have been asked to cooperate. haven't been successful in getting access. Will pursue any avenues to get access.

Will provide a photo of rear of the car w/ spoiler later.

chasing.halos
Going to e-mail picture of car, car has spoiler on it

Jersey*Girl
12-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Why does he keep referring to him as "Mister Easley"? To emphasize the fact that he is a grown man to all of her friends that are listening?

BBM Exactly for that reason. He is a GROWN adult male. Her friends probably became familiar with him and called him Jeff. I don't see anybody but B calling him Hand Cuff Buddy or (hcb). Gosh, I sure hope this girl is ok. I seriously hope she doesn't end up as an accomplice. I'm really really reeeally praying she's innocent, knows nothing about what happened to her mother, and will be found safe.

For some reason, though, I don't think it's gonna play out well.

tehcloser
12-08-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm kinda shocked that FB and ms has not given them access.

lynnb
12-08-2010, 11:53 AM
facebook/myspace not cooperating with giving them access. asked if they'll get a search warrant. said they'll use what ever means available....

Hello?????? shouldn't they have gotten that search warrant first thing? It's a little obvious their pages might hold some clues.

MBLover
12-08-2010, 11:55 AM
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=app_2915120374#!/pages/Help-Find-Brittany-Mae-Smith-12-years-old-from-VA/112253375509634

Help find Brittany FB page

gypsyblue
12-08-2010, 11:57 AM
in a question from a reporter, he mentioned the video at wally world being friday night (I think he said 8).... he was not corrected... just sayin.... if that helps with timeline moo

peeples
12-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Jersey Girl i am in total agreement. Not to mention letting your kids on these FB and MS sites includes lying about their age and violates the TOS on the sites as well. That is teaching children it's ok to lie. My children want a FB soo bad just to play games on (treasure island, farmville). I pulled up the TOS and said MAYBE when you're 13. I have friends who let their 6 yr olds have accts. and I've had a fit but they don't care :(

chasing.halos
12-08-2010, 11:59 AM
in a question from a reporter, he mentioned the video at wally world being friday night (I think he said 8).... he was not corrected... just sayin.... if that helps with timeline moo

Yep, they were at Walmart from 8:00-8:30pm Friday night.

lynnb
12-08-2010, 12:00 PM
He also said he hopes that this afternoon he may be able to discuss the purchases at Walmart. did I hear that right?

chasing.halos
12-08-2010, 12:04 PM
He also said he hopes that this afternoon he may be able to discuss the purchases at Walmart. did I hear that right?

I hope so because it is really driving me BATTY as to what they purchased. I keep looking at that picture and trying to figure out that dang blue thing. I must have a problem because I dreamed about it last night, LOL!

less0305
I live just across the border from VA in NC - about an hour from blue ridge parkway in the foothills. It was 16 degrees at my house this morning when I got up. Something tells me they aren't camping if they're still in VA or NC - unless they are in the car and letting it run all night.

passionflower
I am so afraid that if Brittany witnessed or knows something about JE murdering her mom, that JE will murder her to keep her shut up.
I can see a murder/suicide thing and I'm so afraid of that.
If someone is keeping them, I would think it is under hostage or duress, JMOO

MBLover
12-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Yes he said that - after the reporter asked him about the purchasing of camping equipment by Easley - but Lavinder didn't confirm it was camping equipment

belimom
12-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Jersey Girl i am in total agreement. Not to mention letting your kids on these FB and MS sites includes lying about their age and violates the TOS on the sites as well. That is teaching children it's ok to lie. My children want a FB soo bad just to play games on (treasure island, farmville). I pulled up the TOS and said MAYBE when you're 13. I have friends who let their 6 yr olds have accts. and I've had a fit but they don't care :(

Same here with my 8-yr-old wanting a FB account. I just let him play games on my account but NEVER unsupervised. He has his own login for our family computer and we have to manually enter the websites he can go to. :twocents:

MBLover
12-08-2010, 12:07 PM
I'm convinced that the "blue thing" in the buggy is a tent. I can't remember who went to Wal-Mart and took the pics...but it seems to match up perfectly.

belimom
12-08-2010, 12:07 PM
I am so afraid that if Brittany witnessed or knows something about JE murdering her mom, that JE will murder her to keep her shut up.
I can see a murder/suicide thing and I'm so afraid of that....(snipped)...

This is my fear as well... :(

MBLover
12-08-2010, 12:08 PM
To the 49 guests who are watching this thread: We'd love to have you join us here on WS - please sign up and share your thoughts/perspectives!

brighidin
12-08-2010, 12:12 PM
I hope so because it is really driving me BATTY as to what they purchased. I keep looking at that picture and trying to figure out that dang blue thing. I must have a problem because I dreamed about it last night, LOL!

Not sure if you saw this before, but soulmagnent went to walmart and took some pics of a tent in a cart...looks very similar to what JE had in his cart.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - VA VA - AMBER Alert! - Brittany Mae Smith, 12, Salem, 2 Dec 2010

chasing.halos
12-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Not sure if you saw this before, but soulmagnent went to walmart and took some pics of a tent in a cart...looks very similar to what JE had in his cart.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - VA VA - AMBER Alert! - Brittany Mae Smith, 12, Salem, 2 Dec 2010 (http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5880090&postcount=537)

Thank you!! <3

Mendara
12-08-2010, 12:17 PM
How are they surviving? Did he empty a bank account??? He has to feed her and himself - they have to go in public eventually.

MBLover
12-08-2010, 12:23 PM
How are they surviving? Did he empty a bank account??? He has to feed her and himself - they have to go in public eventually.

True - but we don't know what food items were taken from the house (or how much - if any). We also don't know what was exactly purchased at Wal-Mart.

There's also "Dine & Dash" and shoplifting...but yes - that would put them out in public.

Jersey*Girl
12-08-2010, 12:24 PM
I'm convinced that the "blue thing" in the buggy is a tent. I can't remember who went to Wal-Mart and took the pics...but it seems to match up perfectly.

Agree! Walmart sells tents that can be used in -15C. Plus they probably bought a portable personal heater, which can also be found in Walmart's camping section. Just go to wallmart.com and see. Heck, Snickers powerbars taste like a candy bar - my kids LOVE them during wrestling season. Boost is cheap and good for you. They don't need to buy steaks & veggies to survive. Between SlimFast, Boost, Powerbars (any kind), oat or granola bars - they wouldn't even need a meal & all of that wouldn't even take up a full Walmart shopping bag.

waltzingmatilda
12-08-2010, 12:27 PM

Mendara, You are absolutely right about this. I fear he will commit additional risky crimes as he feels more desperate.

I hope to see a pic of Mr hand cuff buddy wearing a pair of bling on his wrists very soon...(.flanked by a few handsome LEO's)

I am praying for Brittany and her safety. She's just a kid. I am not sure she even realized/realizes the danger she is in.

Moo

wm

belimom
12-08-2010, 12:28 PM

This may not be a popular theory, but it is possible that he was not planning on needing anything longterm. It may be that he had been grooming Brittany but never had the chance to "act" on it. He wanted to get her alone, do what he wanted to do, and then do away with her. :(

On the other hand, the caressing, etc, that the relatives describe sound more like he was really infatuated with her. Maybe that will save her in the end. Unless it becomes an "us and against the world" type of mentality - and there they are backed into a corner again.

If this is going to have a good outcome, I think they need to find her soon.

orb4me
12-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Soulmagnent is a blessing to websleuths. The round shinny thing may have just been a reflection of some sort, or how about at Lantern? The picture of the axe gave me the creeps.
Did we find out if she went to school last friday? They could have also bought a cell phone. Walmart has a service plan of some sort. Im still believing she has a best friend that knows alot, if not poss knows where they are, or have been in contact.

I feel certain that today is a bad day for this girl, its no longer fun and exciting, her friends cant see her with her great boyfriend. things are going on at school she would want to be in on. If she didnt know her mom was dead, she may very well know it today. How much longer is this creep going to want a 12 yr old crying whinning girl around? He cant let her go.
If they are still driving, I would assume they are not using major roads.

btw, its way cold here in central Fl. There is a major interstate that runs south through Fl, if they are on that road in her mothers car, they will be found. LE keeps a very close eye on that Interstate for illegal drug transport.

duckingoff
12-08-2010, 12:36 PM
JE had 195 friends on FB as of Monday when the story broke. A few minutes ago he was down to 174. Can't see BS friends on FB but could be the same scenario. Just a hunch... maybe LE wants to go back and see who were friends before Friday night. There may be people who "helped" JE and want to appear to have cut ties so as to avoid being charged as accomplices (sp).

I noticed on Monday there was a woman from NC with the same last name. Her wall was made public so I read it. On Mon night she posted her status as to the effect that she was (sad) and another mutual friend to her and JE commented she felt the same below the NC woman's status. Question is - did they feel sad for JE or BS or TS? Why not shock, disbelief or angered? Both ladies have deactivated their accounts. Hmmmm? Maybe LE wants to see and speak to those who de-friended JE and any private messaging that went between them. I can't imagine that they could go far due to public awareness and lack of funds. Does anyone think that someone may likely be feeding them and/or sheltering them. They may have purchased a tent or shelter but that doesn't mean that after a night or two in it that they decided to stay in roughing it mode.

Also JE's mom indicated that she had spoken with him either Fri or Sat night. Could it be possible that JE was fishing to see if mama was aware of anything. At that time he could have been cut off from media coverage due to kiddo being too close by and unaware of her mom being killed. If that's the case his silence since the weekend is even more worrisome if kiddo started to get a clue that momma is not looking for her but instead JE murdered her. This could have all started out in her little mind as a great big adventure if JE was stringing her along to beleive they were only running away so they could be together. I've see older guys totally change young girls by getting them hooked on certain adictive drugs. Girl totally changes and totally needs guy because he is keeping her on that high. Seen it and this situation totally reminds me of it unfortunately....All speculation but thought I would throw it out there.

CN2Souls
12-08-2010, 12:46 PM
I also think LE should be Checking the off Season homes through out the mountains in that area,

My BF said that many of the homes are vacant after October and young kids always like to go into them and Party.

And the easiest way for LE to see or know is to Check with The power company in the area..

off season home could be looked at to see power spikes.. They wouldn't need to go door to door.

Cazzie
12-08-2010, 12:47 PM
I believe that the kidnapping charge is more severe if she's taken across state lines. Or maybe it was already the max due to her young age.

It is deplorable that FB and MS are not turning over the accounts to LE (let alone info from them). I thought it was standard operating procedure in serious cases like this, even if it took a warrant. Although I can understand that FB and MS probably intend to protect the privacy of NON-perps, having access to computer accounts could save lives (and waste less LE resources). Hopefully FB and MS will pay heavy civil fines someday.

cmlegend99
12-08-2010, 12:51 PM

Hi! I used to live in Key West :) I heard it is chilly there lately!

CN2Souls
12-08-2010, 12:51 PM
I believe that the kidnapping charge is more severe if she's taken across state lines. Or maybe it was already the max due to her young age.

It is deplorable that FB and MS are not turning over the accounts to LE (let alone info from them). I thought it was standard operating procedure in serious cases like this, even if it took a warrant. Although I can understand that FB and MS probably intend to protect the privacy of NON-perps, having access to computer accounts could save lives (and waste less LE resources). Hopefully FB and MS will pay heavy civil fines someday.

Call me an Activist But when I heard that they were having a hard time I sent an Email to all my Friends to Deactivate there accounts on FB and MS and when the thing asked them WHY, To type in "because you wouldn't give Roanke LE access to Missing Child's Important Information...:angel:

duckingoff
12-08-2010, 12:52 PM

A friend of mine was killed in a jetski accident. We contacted FB and explained that we wanted to remove a picture that showed him lying on the road with a white outline around his body because we didn't want his family to see it after the accident. The picture was taken as a joke the week prior. FB reset the password for us to gain access to his page. Not sure why they are not cooperating with LE.... sounds weird IMO

lynnb
12-08-2010, 12:53 PM
IMO, the only way they're gonna find Brittany is to find JE. LE needs to give the public anything and everything they know about him. was he in the military? did he have close friends or was he a loner? has he preyed on young girls before? I think you all know what I mean..... :banghead:

CN2Souls
12-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Hi! I used to live in Key West :) I heard it is chilly there lately!

VERY!!!! :Banane23: Still is..........................

Soulmagent
12-08-2010, 12:56 PM
A friend of mine was killed in a jetski accident. We contacted FB and explained that we wanted to remove a picture that showed him lying on the road with a white outline around his body because we didn't want his family to see it after the accident. The picture was taken as a joke the week prior. FB reset the password for us to gain access to his page. Not sure why they are not cooperating with LE.... sounds weird IMO

I am not sure the LE would move to gain the information without a warrent.

If anything became evidence in court it wouldnt be admissable unless taken with a warrent.

lynnb
12-08-2010, 12:58 PM
I am not sure the LE would move to gain the information without a warrent.

If anything became evidence in court it wouldnt be admissable unless taken with a warrent.

maybe they have accessed the pages, and this is a ploy to have Mister Easley think most of his "secrets" are still safe? just a thought...

duckingoff
12-08-2010, 01:02 PM
IMO, the only way they're gonna find Brittany is to find JE. LE needs to give the public anything and everything they know about him. was he in the military? did he have close friends or was he a loner? has he preyed on young girls before? I think you all know what I mean..... :banghead:

Un-named HS friend said he was quiet in school. We know he dropped out.
http://www2.wnct.com/news/2010/dec/07/21/person-interest-virginia-amber-alert-has-ties-east-ar-598039/

CarrieBean
12-08-2010, 01:04 PM
maybe they have accessed the pages, and this is a ploy to have Mister Easley think most of his "secrets" are still safe? just a thought...

I don't think they would publicly accuse FB and MS of not cooperating for this.

I didn't see the presser. Just going by what I read here.

lynnb
12-08-2010, 01:08 PM
I don't think they would publicly accuse FB and MS of not cooperating for this.

I didn't see the presser. Just going by what I read here.

It's so confusing... hard to believe FB or MS would be more concerned about protecting the privacy rights of a missing girl who wasn't old enough to actually have a site then helping in the investigation of that missing girl.

duckingoff
12-08-2010, 01:13 PM
http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wdbj-brittany-smith-search-nc-count-120810,0,1871932.story

US Marshall Service and FBI formally asked NC LE to assist.

brighidin
12-08-2010, 01:16 PM
It's so confusing... hard to believe FB or MS would be more concerned about protecting the privacy rights of a missing girl who wasn't old enough to actually have a site then helping in the investigation of that missing girl.

I'm sure they are more concerned about protecting themselves, and their business interests. I would think that both parties (LE & social media sites) would want a warrant, to make sure everything is done correctly and legally.

Hopefully a judge signs a warrant ASAP. I'm surprised it hasn't been done already. Hopefully there is some information that will be helpful. Maybe JE and BS wrote to each other through their FB inboxes.

I just hope they find something -- and fast!!

passionflower
12-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Action 4 WTAE.com
just reported new lead Walmart story & (presser).........alittle behind.......LOL

duckingoff
12-08-2010, 01:18 PM
New group forming on FB to get FB to open accounts in missing kid cases. Starting as a result of BS disappearance.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_171537902878311&ap=1.....Please#!/home.php?sk=group_171537902878311

passionflower
12-08-2010, 01:20 PM
IMO, there are enough on computers and screen shots to get a head start on MS and FB.........warrents are just formality for the trial later.
It may be so they can enter all the 'friends' on MS and FB.....innocent people's rights.

matou
12-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Police: Someone's hiding missing Va. girl, man

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/08/AR2010120802947.html

matou
12-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Is it possible the long blue thing sticking out of the cart is a gun? Are guns available for sale at Walmart? To me, the long part could be a barrel of a shotgun. JMO

Cazzie
12-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Police: Someone's hiding missing Va. girl, man

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/08/AR2010120802947.html
Some STUPID someone.

If someone helps them (by hiding them or assisting in their flight), don't they realize they'll be prosecuted severely, or could end up dead so as not to be a witness or informant?

CarrieBean
12-08-2010, 01:25 PM
I can't understand why LE didn't get a warrant for the social sites right away. They know darn well they need one. The sites have to cooperate if served with a warrant. What a mess it would be if FB and MS gave access to every Tom, Dick, and Harry who claimed to be LE. Or to every officer wanting access for personal use. That FB page won't move things along...a warrant will.

brighidin
12-08-2010, 01:25 PM
http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wdbj-brittany-smith-search-nc-count-120810,0,1871932.story

US Marshall Service and FBI formally asked NC LE to assist.

Thanks for the link.

This is the second story I've read to day that references his high school. The other one quoted a classmate of his from high school. He's 32 -- hasn't been in high school for a long time so I can't figure out why this is relevant. What about his two ex-wives? What about people who knew him before he moved in with TS in October?

If someone asked me what I thought about a guy I went to high school with, I'd probably say he was nice, but I graduated in 92 so who knows if they are the same person as they were back then...I know I'm not!

Maybe I'm missing something.:waitasec:
moo

matou
12-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Some STUPID someone.

If someone helps them (by hiding them or assisting in their flight), don't they realize they'll be prosecuted severely, or could end up dead so as not to be a witness or informant?

Could be a stupid person. I just hope it isn't some innocent family or person who has had their home taken over by this man for access to their vehicle, food and money. JMO. If he is armed, he is very dangerous. He could go on a spree.

Hopeful One
12-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Hi, everyone! I'm new to this case and I'm just getting caught up with the threads.

Hoping and praying they find Brittany alive and well soon!!

duckingoff
12-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the link.

This is the second story I've read to day that references his high school. The other one quoted a classmate of his from high school. He's 32 -- hasn't been in high school for a long time so I can't figure out why this is relevant. What about his two ex-wives? What about people who knew him before he moved in with TS in October?

If someone asked me what I thought about a guy I went to high school with, I'd probably say he was nice, but I graduated in 92 so who knows if they are the same person as they were back then...I know I'm not!

Maybe I'm missing something.:waitasec:
moo

Wondering the same thing. His ex father-in-law was quoted recently but haven't heard a peep from co-workers or current friends. Maybe his circle of friends are just a weird as he is.

doughgirl07
12-08-2010, 01:30 PM
I can't understand why LE didn't get a warrant for the social sites right away. They know darn well they need one. The sites have to cooperate if served with a warrant. What a mess it would be if FB and MS gave access to every Tom, Dick, and Harry who claimed to be LE. Or to every officer wanting access for personal use. That FB page won't move things along...a warrant will.

ITA Too many non-trustworthy LEOs out there that would abuse that right if all that was needed was a request by LE. Sorry, but it's true -- warrant should be easy enough

belimom
12-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Wondering the same thing. His ex father-in-law was quoted recently but haven't heard a peep from co-workers or current friends. Maybe his circle of friends are just a weird as he is.

I'm thinking he doesn't have many friends. How many times do we hear a perp described as a loner?

lynnb
12-08-2010, 01:34 PM
or they don't want to publicly acknowledge any connection to him. There has been no mention of siblings at this point either has there?

CarrieBean
12-08-2010, 01:36 PM

Maybe. Or maybe they don't want their 15 minutes of fame. Or maybe they don't want to be openly associated with a creep like this. I have no doubt the majority of people are cooperating with LE.

duckingoff
12-08-2010, 01:43 PM
or they don't want to publicly acknowledge any connection to him. There has been no mention of siblings at this point either has there?

I thought I read something yesterday stating he had a sister???? I posted earlier that his friends on FB are dwindleing. Many young girls (high school) and a few who were mutual friends with BS. They prolly de-friended as soon as news broke and thanked their lucky stars that they weren't in that situation. But those that were mutual friends to them both should be the ones coming forward to give police any information they have. Young people don't get it..... safety of their friend is more important than loyalty in keeping secrets. Hoping some of them are watching threads and get a clue.

CarrieBean
12-08-2010, 01:45 PM
The object behind JE's back may not be in his hand. Could be that he's just scratching his back...or releasing a wedgie.

...or he could be armed with something just incase someone recognized him. Did it say when this surveillance video was taken?

LMax
12-08-2010, 01:47 PM
o/t they have breaking news in the DeBlase children case
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120977&page=10

alsmom
12-08-2010, 01:50 PM
I've never heard of FB or MS not being cooperative before. We know they have been on other cases, so I don't understand what the glitch is here. I'm going to withhold judgment until I have more facts. I don't have a MS and only use FB for groups. I have one friend...my daughter. lol! I don't even read friend requests.

I find it perplexing that TS's aunt called Social Services on her 41 year old niece that she had spoken to about this problem. It sounded as though she thought she was taking care of it, and then she backtracked and called anyway? She made a comment about TS always seeing the good in people which I've always thought of as a good thing, but it almost sounded as though she may have had bad luck with taking in strays? I'm totally confused. Did I miss something regarding the call to Social Services? I can't imagine my aunt calling SS on me if that had talked with me and I said I was taking care of the problem. I would think the aunt would stay on the niece until the problem was resolved or call SS when she saw it wasn't going to be. I'm seriously mystified about this. If it was that extreme why weren't they on the phone with her immediately? So confused :crazy:

The hopeless romantic comment conjures up two types in my mind, one being the "I want everything perfect" type and the other being the "doormat" type. :(

duckingoff
12-08-2010, 01:55 PM
TS made comment regarding her son either on his memorial page or her MS that he was always trying to help her find Mr. Right and didn't like it when men treated her bad.

brighidin
12-08-2010, 01:57 PM
The object behind JE's back may not be in his hand. Could be that he's just scratching his back...or releasing a wedgie.

...or he could be armed with something just incase someone recognized him. Did it say when this surveillance video was taken?

Good point.

In someone's earlier post, it says they were in walmart between 8:00 and 8:30 Friday night.

waxer1
12-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Pretty new here. I have read most of the comments and this is just my opinion. It is obvious that he used the mother to get to Brittany the target all along. I remember when I was her age, and well developed as well. Was the target of older boys all of the time. Thank God my parents were aware of this.

Regarding the choking game: we used to play this all of the time. As teens, we did not know how dangerous this was.

Personally, I think he is hiding in plain site. No tips from outside the area? I would assume that LE is doing a bit of geographical profiling.

I have a little understanding of how her mother felt. I lost my child at 2 from leukemia. Divorced 12 years later. I understand how lonely it is. This person took advantage and there you have it a tragedy waiting to happen. By the time she realized what was happenig it was too late. I hope they find Brittany soon. Also, in the pictures at Walmart she looks scared to death. I really dont think she was a part of this.