PDA

View Full Version : IN IN - Angola - WhtFem (180UFIN), 40-50, Pachuco Cross Tattoo, Sep'99

Dark Knight
09-05-2004, 02:20 AM
Maybe someone here can help us finally solve this case. The body was found not too far from the radio station where I work and I was there when it all went down, and tried my best, along with our news director and many others, to try and solve it. I'd love ANY info I can pass along to authorities, including maybe what in the heck the tattoos or jewelry might mean, if anything, and I can fill you in on details of the investigation beyond what the FBI is listing here:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/180ufin.html
The place she was found is now a golf course, except the exact spot was undeveloped. It had been a farm field, and the guy who found here while plowing his field later died of a heart attack also while plowing the field! *makes spooky noises* lol

PS: I do remember one of the victim's tattoos supposedly meaning something about living on the fringe of society.

Thanks!!!
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/images/180UFIN.jpg
Case File 180UFIN
•Located on September 6, 1999 in Angola, Steuben County, Indiana.
•Cause of death is undetermined, believed to be homicide.
•The estimated time of death is 30 - 90 days prior to discovery.
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Steuben County Sheriff's Department
Detective Dale Murray
260-668-1000

WasBlind
09-05-2004, 04:42 AM
Are you with Doe Network, Dark Knight? I work with several on their team.

Sadly, many are never reported missing, and this is the result. Education is so important, and everyone should report their missing loved ones, even if they are adults, or else the NCIC system will never work. Also many states have a shortage of persons to check NCIC files daily, and some states do not even have a database. *sigh*

Also, more volunteers are needed to match Does across the nation, as many go unmatched for years. Case in point, Joseph Morse went unidentified for over four years, even though he was found the day after he went missing.

Welcome to WS and please join us in the missing forum, sometime
Missing!! - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

You never know, you may recognize one and reunite a family!

Thank you for caring about the missing, Dark Knight and God bless you!
E-mail me if you wish to get updates on the missing, or my newsletters.
Let's hope someone see this post and can identify this lady.

With love and HOPE, Lanie
Help For The Missing
HelpForTheMissing@yahoo.com

Bibliophile
09-05-2004, 03:08 PM
How far was the body from a road? Do the authorities know how she was dumped? How easy was the site to get to from I-69? Nearest truck stop?

The tatoo was obviously crudely done and its a been popular among Hispanics for many years. Since she is listed as "white" I wonder if she once was married to a Hispanic or had a Hispanic boyfriend - maybe in the CA or TX area.

Did the autospy provide any clues? Condition of liver?

Dark Knight
09-05-2004, 07:55 PM
Are you with Doe Network, Dark Knight? I work with several on their team.

Sadly, many are never reported missing, and this is the result. Education is so important, and everyone should report their missing loved ones, even if they are adults, or else the NCIC system will never work. Also many states have a shortage of persons to check NCIC files daily, and some states do not even have a database. *sigh*

Also, more volunteers are needed to match Does across the nation, as many go unmatched for years. Case in point, Joseph Morse went unidentified for over four years, even though he was found the day after he went missing.

Welcome to WS and please join us in the missing forum, sometime
http://websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16

You never know, you may recognize one and reunite a family!

Thank you for caring about the missing, Dark Knight and God bless you!
E-mail me if you wish to get updates on the missing, or my newsletters.
Let's hope someone see this post and can identify this lady.

Help For The Missing
No, I am not with the Doe Network. Maybe you can post the info for those of us on the board who aren't familiar with it but might like to join. I am always willing to help find the missing, plus justice for the dead. I'll also likely be in contact about the other info you offered. Thank you very much for your help!!!!!

Dark Knight
09-05-2004, 08:05 PM
How far was the body from a road? Do the authorities know how she was dumped? How easy was the site to get to from I-69? Nearest truck stop?

The tatoo was obviously crudely done and its a been popular among Hispanics for many years. Since she is listed as "white" I wonder if she once was married to a Hispanic or had a Hispanic boyfriend - maybe in the CA or TX area.

Did the autospy provide any clues? Condition of liver?We have a growing Hispanic popullation in my area, actually. That's the first time I have heard of the tattoo mentioned in association with them.

The body is within less than a mile of one, and probably more, off-ramps of I-69, and not far from the off-ramps of the Indiana/Michigan toll road. Police speculated that she may have been a prostitute due to the tattoo being associated with criminal elements and the fact there are many truck stops in the area due to the semi traffic that comes through. However, I question that she came from far away, as the bra was still around her neck. Why would someone strangle her, then drive the entire way with the bra still around her neck? And why leave it that way, then?The body itself was well off the any road, though, was was severely decomposed (I saw some of the pictures, being in the media.) They got the drawing only after the FBI in Washington made a clay model of her head and theorized how she looked alive.

The autopsy was inconclusive on most everything due to the state of decomposition, the liver may not have been viable even. Why do you ask of the liver, I am curious.

Good point about the tattoo, it does appear to be homemade, doesn't it?

Dark Knight
09-06-2004, 01:31 AM
Just wanted to try the power of the bump. :p

WasBlind
09-06-2004, 02:34 AM
http://doenetwork.org/

This one will not be listed there, yet, as they take 9 years and older as of now.

Please contact me via e-mail to get started working on this, please sir.

Many thanks, Lanie

Bibliophile
09-06-2004, 02:59 AM
We have a growing Hispanic popullation in my area, actually. That's the first time I have heard of the tattoo mentioned in association with them.

Yes, it was common among Hispanic youth, even 35 -45 years ago. The term "pachuco" comes from a nickname for the city of El Paso, which was often referred to as "El Pachuco" or simply "El Chuco". Groups of youth from El Paso migrated to Los Angeles in the 1930s and they were referred to there as pachucos. There are some reports that the tatoos are common among gang members. However, if this is a woman 40 to 50 years old, I doubt that she was in a gang. It's more likely (though not absolute) that she received the tatoo in her younger days and that's why I mentioned CA and TX, both of which had higher Hispanic populations in the late 70's. She may have originated from an area where the tatoos were more common.

The body is within less than a mile of one, and probably more, off-ramps of I-69, and not far from the off-ramps of the Indiana/Michigan toll road.

I'm wondering how easy it would have been to dump her from a car and if the locale was a place that could be easily found by non-residents or those unfamilar with the area.

If its a remote location, its probably a local perp.

Police speculated that she may have been a prostitute due to the tattoo being associated with criminal elements and the fact there are many truck stops in the area due to the semi traffic that comes through. However, I question that she came from far away, as the bra was still around her neck. Why would someone strangle her, then drive the entire way with the bra still around her neck?

She could have been picked up, murdered in one location and transported there to conceal her body. She may have very well been a prostitute or vagabond type that goes from place to place. Sadly, no one may be looking for her.

Most likely scenario is that she was undressed when the murder occurred and the killer merely used the bra because it was convenient to strangle her. He probably then put her in a vehicle and took her body to the site where she was found. He made no other efforts to conceal it because he just wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible. Probably a disorganized killing.

Bras are commonly used for strangulation in sex murders.

They got the drawing only after the FBI in Washington made a clay model of her head and theorized how she looked alive.

So its probably not a very good likeness.

The autopsy was inconclusive on most everything due to the state of decomposition, the liver may not have been viable even. Why do you ask of the liver, I am curious.

It would tell a lot about her life style; drug and alcohol abuse.

Dark Knight
09-06-2004, 04:21 AM
Actually, a local TV crew went to the FBI office when they did this, and said that their recreations are amazingly close to what they did look like! (based on cases that had been solved as a result.) So I think it may be reasonably close.

Interesting info on the tattoo, thanks! I agree that it is most likely that no one is looking for her.

There was a LOT of interest in her watch and possibly the other jewelery, but not real sure why. Any ideas?

Thanks, again, for the help!!

PS: I just a bit more research on the pachuco cross tattoo, and the hispanic gang members that wear it are supposed to tattoo it in the web of their hands between their finger and thumb, and hers was on her upper arm. And as you said, she was supposed to be white.

Bibliophile
09-06-2004, 01:17 PM
Actually, a local TV crew went to the FBI office when they did this, and said that their recreations are amazingly close to what they did look like! (based on cases that had been solved as a result.) So I think it may be reasonably close.

It very well may be. Let me preface this with I am not at all knocking them as a tool in identification - they can be very valuable. However, the likenesses are often most apparent retrospectively. For a Doe that didn't have close ties to a community or family, someone who could easily pick up the subtle nuances of her features, it's just more difficult.

There was a LOT of interest in her watch and possibly the other jewelery, but not real sure why. Any ideas?

It's hard to say for the photos. I get the feeling that the ring was something she had had for a while. It would be good to know the manufacturer of the watch, area of distribution, etc..

It's just hard to know without more details, so I'm just thinking out loud here, I may be totally off base.

One thing I am not clear on - was there any type of road near the body, dirt, gravel or otherwise, that someone could have driven a vehicle on? If so, was there a clearly visable entrance to this road from a main road? Would someone have to know the area well to get to the location where the body was found?

Dark Knight
09-06-2004, 01:53 PM
I think it is GREAT that you are trying for all different angles and asking all kinds of great questions! That's the only way to solve cases like this, and I appreciate the effort! I sent to info on the cross to the sheriff, just in case they weren't aware of it's history. I'll let you know if I hear back.

The body was quite a ways off of a country road, if I recall, in a farmers field, which is how it was found, by the farmer plowing the field. He thought it was a deer carcass, I remember him saying.

Bibliophile
09-06-2004, 03:11 PM
If it was quite a distance to the nearest road, has there been any speculation on how the body got there?

How accessible would it be by 4WD? Or a farm "John Deere" all terrain vehicle?

Again, I am just guessing - but providing there were no access roads and from what you have written I would guess it was a local perp - someone who knew the land, perhaps someone who had hunted on it before ... maybe a near neighbor or someone in or close to the owner's family.

Dark Knight
09-07-2004, 05:14 AM
http://doenetwork.org/

This one will not be listed there, yet, as they take 9 years and older as of now.

Please contact me via e-mail to get started working on this, please sir.

Actually, they took my submission because for unexplained deaths the criteria was only 2002 or older! Woo hoo! Thanks for the tip! We'll see if I hear back from them.

chocolatechance
09-07-2004, 01:44 PM
My husband lived in Angola for a few years, and he told me that the town itself has a small population, but there are a lot of lakes surrounded by summer cottages, and the population grows a lot during the summer. I wonder if she could've been murdered by an abusive husband/boyfriend vacationing in the area, or picked up somewhere by a lone guy going to spend some time at his cottage?

Given that many think the killer was familiar with the area, and the timing of the crime, (about 5 weeks before september), it might make sense that one of the vacationers had something to do with this.

Was her picture published much in the Indy area?

Dark Knight
09-07-2004, 02:13 PM
My husband lived in Angola for a few years, and he told me that the town itself has a small population, but there are a lot of lakes surrounded by summer cottages, and the population grows a lot during the summer. I wonder if she could've been murdered by an abusive husband/boyfriend vacationing in the area, or picked up somewhere by a lone guy going to spend some time at his cottage?

Given that many think the killer was familiar with the area, and the timing of the crime, (about 5 weeks before september), it might make sense that one of the vacationers had something to do with this.

Was her picture published much in the Indy area?

Hmmm, that's a very interesting point. You are correct, Steuben County has 101 lakes, so our population swells to over 100,000 on summer weekends, and 2-3 times that on a holiday weekend (July 4 was about 4 weeks prior to the finding, actually.)

The picture was on Ft. Wayne television both originally and in a follow up about a year or two ago, which is where many of our tourists come from. I don't know about Indy TV or newspapers, though.

Thanks for the input! A terrific theory!

Dark Knight
09-08-2004, 06:48 AM
The doe network has added this case to it's files and have added a little bit more information after contacting investigators.

MAJOR thanks to WasBlind for her help!!!!!

WasBlind
09-08-2004, 09:09 AM
Here is the direct link

Special thanks to Tracie and all our friends at DOE.
God bless you all for the selfless work you do.

With HOPE, Lanie
Help For The Missing

Dark Knight
09-08-2004, 12:47 PM
Here is the direct link

With HOPE, Lanie
Help For The Missing
Thanks, again!

deputylinda
09-12-2004, 03:26 PM
hi Dark Knight...since you asked me to read and comment, i will offer ONLY MY OPINION/EDUCATED GUESS. she was a hooker/hitch-hiker in all likelihood, and frequented truck stops. she was the victim of a common garden-variety American phenomena...the traveling/trucker serial killer. there are so many out there it would scare the pants off you if you knew how many. they work with impunity and vanish into the night. it has all the earmarks. and there was no connection between them because he did not attempt to bury her or remove identifying jewelry. these guys do it because they can and because it's easy pickings. they know they won't be caught. it's 'fun', spices up life on the otherwise boring road. JMO :twocents:

VespaElf
09-12-2004, 03:51 PM
hi Dark Knight...since you asked me to read and comment, i will offer ONLY MY OPINION/EDUCATED GUESS. she was a hooker/hitch-hiker in all likelihood, and frequented truck stops. she was the victim of a common garden-variety American phenomena...the traveling/trucker serial killer. there are so many out there it would scare the pants off you if you knew how many. they work with impunity and vanish into the night. it has all the earmarks. and there was no connection between them because he did not attempt to bury her or remove identifying jewelry. these guys do it because they can and because it's easy pickings. they know they won't be caught. it's 'fun', spices up life on the otherwise boring road. JMO :twocents:

I agree 100% Linda.

I know there are some honest,decent truckers out there * BUT* there is also a very large,very scary and violent trucker subculture.
Ive heard about unspeakable things(worse than that movie"Breakdown") which occur way more than most people know because they lead this nomadic life crisscrossing the country.
I can't put it better than DL's " they work with impunity".

Dark Knight
09-12-2004, 08:03 PM
Thanks DL for taking the time to read it and analyze it. But what a depressing conclusion, as I assume that would mean the odds of solving the crime, especially 5 years after the fact, is almost zero, correct?

Dark Knight
09-12-2004, 08:04 PM
I agree 100% Linda.

I know there are some honest,decent truckers out there * BUT* there is also a very large,very scary and violent trucker subculture.
Ive heard about unspeakable things(worse than that movie"Breakdown") which occur way more than most people know because they lead this nomadic life crisscrossing the country.
I can't put it better than DL's " they work with impunity".
How depressing. But thanks for the input! And nice to meet ya!

deputylinda
09-12-2004, 08:10 PM
Thanks DL for taking the time to read it and analyze it. But what a depressing conclusion, as I assume that would mean the odds of solving the crime, especially 5 years after the fact, is almost zero, correct?
less than zero. these guys pick females who are unlikely to ever be missed by anyone, the throwaways of society. no discussions on the news except locally, briefly. oh, the tattoo...i can almost guarantee she got it in jail. reality can be depressing, i know. but this female also made some choices for herself along the way. not blaming the victim! but our lifestyle can place us in harm's way.

Dark Knight
09-12-2004, 08:28 PM
less than zero. these guys pick females who are unlikely to ever be missed by anyone, the throwaways of society. no discussions on the news except locally, briefly. oh, the tattoo...i can almost guarantee she got it in jail. reality can be depressing, i know. but this female also made some choices for herself along the way. not blaming the victim! but our lifestyle can place us in harm's way.Well this got plenty of regional attention, not just local, even with follow ups a year or so, ago, plus the FBI got involved, but it sure looks like no one ever looked for her.

Why do I remember investigators being so interested in her Lucky Star watch? I remember searching the net about it, too? Anything ring a bell, there?

deputylinda
09-12-2004, 08:51 PM
Well this got plenty of regional attention, not just local, even with follow ups a year or so, ago, plus the FBI got involved, but it sure looks like no one ever looked for her.

Why do I remember investigators being so interested in her Lucky Star watch? I remember searching the net about it, too? Anything ring a bell, there?
when the feebs (FBI) get involved it means they suspect interstate transport of victim, they never involve themselves in local murders. so it bears out...they suspect trucker/traveling serial killer. watch rings no bells for me. but i am not out there.

gardenmom
09-12-2004, 11:34 PM
If she were in prison when she got the tatoo maybe the place to start is by sending her photo around to area prisons to see if someone recognizes her. It's probably hard, though, if you don't know where she's from. Start close and spread out. I think it's cool you are interested in this and want to help.

deputylinda
09-12-2004, 11:42 PM
If she were in prison when she got the tatoo maybe the place to start is by sending her photo around to area prisons to see if someone recognizes her. It's probably hard, though, if you don't know where she's from. Start close and spread out. I think it's cool you are interested in this and want to help.
hi gardenmom, lovely lady! i said jail , not prison, and there are a million jails. the "photo" is just a reconstruction. she looks like a thousand others. without prints to submit to NCIC it's pretty useless. and knowing who she is might be nice if someone cared about her and was searching...but won't connect her with her killer... because she did not know her killer. gruesome facts that most nice people like you don't encounter. thankfully. xoxoxox

Dark Knight
09-13-2004, 12:31 AM
Thanks both gardenmom and DL. I realize she was likely a prostitute or had some other criminal history, but she is still a person, so that is why I wish it could be solved.

Her poor dental history was something I found interesting. Sure made it sound like she was a transient of some sort. Although that wouldn't do much for her business if she WAS a hooker. And a previously broken nose, too, possibly from a bad encounter or relationship.

deputylinda
09-13-2004, 12:36 AM
Thanks both gardenmom and DL. I realize she was likely a prostitute or had some other criminal history, but she is still a person, so that is why I wish it could be solved.

Her poor dental history was something I found interesting. Sure made it sound like she was a transient of some sort. Although that wouldn't do much for her business if she WAS a hooker. And a previously broken nose, too, possibly from a bad encounter or relationship.
um, er, hmm, how can i put this delicately...no teeth means higher price, by about a buck. sorry. i had to say it. i always get myself in trouble. :doh:

Jeana (DP)
09-14-2004, 03:32 PM
Here is the direct link

With HOPE, Lanie
Help For The Missing

Thanks Lanie!! That other link took me to a website for black women!! LOL Was the bra the only clothing of any kind found with her?

amandab
09-14-2004, 03:45 PM
Her poor dental history was something I found interesting. Sure made it sound like she was a transient of some sort.

This reminded me immediately of one of my relatives. While not a transient by any means, she has a host of mental illnesses, and her teeth (among other things) have paid the price. Might be another angle to consider...

WasBlind
09-14-2004, 04:27 PM
For amandab

:clap:

Dark Knight
09-14-2004, 05:19 PM
Thanks Lanie!! That other link took me to a website for black women!! LOL Was the bra the only clothing of any kind found with her?
Yes, besides the jewelry.

Jeana (DP)
09-15-2004, 10:53 AM
Yes, besides the jewelry.

Thanks. Do you know if there was any "animal activity" on her (i.e., were bones missing or scattered around)?

Dark Knight
09-15-2004, 06:35 PM
Thanks. Do you know if there was any "animal activity" on her (i.e., were bones missing or scattered around)?I don't recall. We have plenty of scavangers in these parts, so it'd surprise me if there wasn't some. The pictures I saw were only of parts of her body, so hard to tell. Arms and hands where intact, anyways. What did you have in mind?

Dark Knight
09-15-2004, 06:37 PM
This reminded me immediately of one of my relatives. While not a transient by any means, she has a host of mental illnesses, and her teeth (among other things) have paid the price. Might be another angle to consider...
Good insight, thanks!

Jeana (DP)
09-16-2004, 10:19 AM
I don't recall. We have plenty of scavangers in these parts, so it'd surprise me if there wasn't some. The pictures I saw were only of parts of her body, so hard to tell. Arms and hands where intact, anyways. What did you have in mind?

Just trying to get the full picture. I don't want to get too graphic, but I don't think hands are arms are the first places that animals would spend time on.

sarainak
09-16-2004, 10:59 PM
Hi, I'm still kinda new at the site, but I love a mystery. This is a "doe" that has been seen quite a bit. I have wondered if what kind of leads or follow-ups they may have with the tat and jewelry.

Is it possible, that the watch could have come from the "Lucky Star" casino? The casinos I have been to have promo gifts like watches. The Lucky Star casino is in Clinton, OK and Concho, OK. These are enterprised by the Cheyenne and Arapaho Tribes. Does anyone know what the picture on the watch face is?

The tattoo seems to be Mexican in origin, but maybe it has nothing to do with in relations to a Hispanic spouse or gang relations. The tattoo/symbol can be seen on the hand of a scene of art on Frank Zappa's album, "One size fits all".

It is referred as symbol that a Mexican American or Roman Catholic may have tatooed on his hand(on the album it's located on the hand).
The meaning of the symbol in this reference would be a cross with the three lines representing the Holy Trinity-The Father, The Son, the Holy Ghost. This cross also appears on the cover of Zappa's album of "Absolutely Free".

So, could be a possiblity that the tattoo, could have a religious meaning for her or could she have been a fan of Frank Zappa?

Dark Knight
09-17-2004, 06:01 AM
Hi, I'm still kinda new at the site, but I love a mystery. This is a "doe" that has been seen quite a bit. I have wondered if what kind of leads or follow-ups they may have with the tat and jewelry.

Is it possible, that the watch could have come from the "Lucky Star" casino? The casinos I have been to have promo gifts like watches. The Lucky Star casino is in Clinton, OK and Concho, OK. These are enterprised by the Cheyenne and Arapaho Tribes. Does anyone know what the picture on the watch face is?

The tattoo seems to be Mexican in origin, but maybe it has nothing to do with in relations to a Hispanic spouse or gang relations. The tattoo/symbol can be seen on the hand of a scene of art on Frank Zappa's album, "One size fits all".

It is referred as symbol that a Mexican American or Roman Catholic may have tatooed on his hand(on the album it's located on the hand).
The meaning of the symbol in this reference would be a cross with the three lines representing the Holy Trinity-The Father, The Son, the Holy Ghost. This cross also appears on the cover of Zappa's album of "Absolutely Free".

So, could be a possiblity that the tattoo, could have a religious meaning for her or could she have been a fan of Frank Zappa?Hi Sarainak! I think the casino idea is a GREAT lead, their logo is quite similar to the watch face, from what I can tell! I may pass that along to LE. The extra info on the pachuco cross is also tremendous!! Thank you so much!!! Have you seen this "doe" in the news, before?

I tried blowing up and zooming in on the watch face and back with no luck. But the logo on back does seem similar to the casino's, as I said. Maybe an old logo of theirs?

Dark Knight
09-22-2004, 05:55 AM
Ok, read this story, compare it to the facts in our Jane Doe case, along with the information that websleuthers have posted, and tell me just how similar this sounds:

Sam Lewin 9/21/2004

Police are describing a Nebraska man arrested for rape as a “person of interest” in a series of slayings in the South and Midwest, with American Indian women a disproportionately high number of the victims.

Carl Lawson, a 32-year-old Lincoln resident, was taken into custody this month. A trucker, Lawson faces rape, kidnapping and assault with intent to kill charges stemming from the alleged abduction of a woman from a truck stop in Oklahoma County, Oklahoma. The 51-year-old woman reported to investigators that Lawson told her "you can bite me, scratch. The first three or four I killed. It bothered me, but I kinda like it now."

She says she was raped and beaten, eventually passing out during the assault. When she came to she was on the side of an interstate. A passing motorist picked her up.

Lawson has denied the accusations, saying he struck the woman following a dispute over drugs and money.

His protest aside, officials with both the Oklahoma City Police Department and the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation say they are looking at Lawson in connection with a series of unsolved slayings that have baffled investigators, a case so complicated that officials are not sure how many victims there are or even how many killers are involved.

One thing is certain: many of the known victims were Native American and most are believed to have worked as prostitutes. Casey Jo Pipestem is one example. A passing motorist discovered the nude body of Pipestem, 19, on January 31 in the Texas town of Grapevine. Officials say she was choked to death and her body then dumped from a bridge. Pipestem was a member of the Seminole Tribe.

At least four victims were last seen at a truck stop, and at least three were strangled. Some were also sexually assaulted. The bodies were found near highways and creeks in Arkansas, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Texas and Indiana.

Not all suspected victims of the killer have been identified. Police are still looking for help in learning the name of a woman found dead on Oct. 15 of last year in Gray County, Texas. She is described as an American Indian about 40 years old, about 5 feet, 6 inches tall and 140 pounds. She had black hair and brown eyes and was last seen wearing a man's plaid shirt and tan slacks the day before at a truck stop in Sayre, Oklahoma. Witnesses recall that she was looking for a ride.

The most recent killing appears to be Jennifer Hyman, 24, of Oklahoma City, last seen at an Oklahoma City truck stop. Hyman, a prostitute, was found nude and strangled below a Tallahatchie River bridge near Oxford, Miss. on Aug. 20.

Lawson’s home in Lincoln has been searched and some items seized. His bail is currently set at $3 million.

gardenmom
09-22-2004, 11:03 AM
Well, it certainly sounds like you could be onto something here. Have you forwarded this information to authoritites. Is there DNA evidense that was collected that can be compared? Good job!

Love_Mama
09-22-2004, 11:55 AM
Hi.......just finished reading this thread and think that Linda is probably right!
I had no idea that there are Truckers...........who do this kind of thing...don't know much about trucker's at all.

Also......haven't heard the word "pachuco" since the early fifties when I was in High School. Like El Paso, I too live on the Mexican border and Mexican's were alway's call "pachucos"......and they were the one's who hung out together seldom making friend's with the other kids. They were the "tough' guys.

Heck, I never heard of a gang in High School but that was so many year's ago. I'm sure they did have gang's, just never heard about them. I granduated from San Diego High School and it was a real mixture of White, Hispanic, Black.......and more so than any other High School here.

Whether or not she was a prostitute or not.......I sure hope they can identify her.

xxxxxxxxxxxoooooo
mama

Dark Knight
09-22-2004, 12:35 PM
Well, it certainly sounds like you could be onto something here. Have you forwarded this information to authoritites. Is there DNA evidense that was collected that can be compared? Good job!
Thanks! Yes, I faxed the info to LE last night. Haven't heard anything from them, so hopefully they got it.

gardenmom
09-22-2004, 03:40 PM
I just heard about his arrest on court tv and they did say that they would be testing his DNA to unsolved cases. Hopefully your victim will be itentified or at least her killer will be caught.

Dark Knight
10-02-2004, 05:19 AM
The Detective with the Indiana State Police who is handling this case was given all the information I posted about regarding the alleged serial killer trucker that was arrested and the similarities in the cases, plus the Lucky Star watch connection. The officer I gave it to found it VERY interesting, and said it might just be the suspect! Praise the Lord if he is!

I will let y'all know what becomes of it, if anything. Thanks for ALL the great tips and input! It is VERY appreciated!

Justice always!!!! :)

WasBlind
11-09-2004, 12:25 AM
B-U-M-P

Prayers for identification and answers for her family.

Trino
11-09-2004, 11:59 PM
It would seem that tracing the watch's origin might provide some info about where she came from or where she's been. It doesn't seem that difficult to do with today's technology.

mysteriew
07-09-2005, 12:02 PM
The most recent killing appears to be Jennifer Hyman, 24, of Oklahoma City, last seen at an Oklahoma City truck stop. Hyman, a prostitute, was found nude and strangled below a Tallahatchie River bridge near Oxford, Miss. on Aug.

Authorities say John Williams[pictured] and Rachel Cumberland[pictured] of Carthage, Mississippi, have pleaded guilty in the kidnapping and death of a Mississippi woman and are suspects in the truck stop killings. The two are being held without bond.

Williams and Cumberland are due in court next week on kidnapping and murder charges in the death of Jennifer Hyman of Oklahoma City. Hyman's body was found August 20th, 2003, in Lafayette County, Tennessee. She had been strangled.

Mississippi Public Safety Commissioner George Phillips says he can't say they were responsible for all the killings of the truck stop prostitutes, but he says lawmen believe there is a link.

http://www.kotv.com/main/home/stories.asp?whichpage=1&id=86366

mysteriew
07-09-2005, 03:02 PM
"I wouldn't go so far as to say that they were responsible for all of those murders, but we do believe that there is a link," Mississippi Commissioner of Public Safety George Phillips said Friday at a news conference in Oxford.

Law enforcement officials from five states, including Mississippi, have been investigating killings that date back to 2003 in which truck stops were the common thread.

Authorities said six of seven victims included in the investigation were prostitutes. The prostitutes were found nude or partially clothed.

At least four victims were last seen at a truck stop, and at least three were strangled, authorities said. The bodies were found near highways and creeks in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Texas and Mississippi.

"We are exploring the possibilities of unsolved murders," Phillips said.

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/thesunherald/news/local/12090442.htm

mysteriew
07-10-2005, 02:37 AM
One thing is certain: many of the known victims were Native American and most are believed to have worked as prostitutes. Casey Jo Pipestem is one example. A passing motorist discovered the nude body of Pipestem, 19, on January 31 in the Texas town of Grapevine. Officials say she was choked to death and her body then dumped from a bridge. Pipestem was a member of the Seminole Tribe.

At least four victims were last seen at a truck stop, and at least three were strangled. Some were also sexually assaulted. The bodies were found near highways and creeks in Arkansas, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Texas and Indiana

A Mississippi long-haul truck driver and his girlfriend emerged as suspects Friday in the January 2004 slaying of Casey Jo Pipestem, a 19-year-old prostitute whose body was found in Grapevine.

The couple, who have been in Mississippi jails nearly a year, are also suspected in the slayings of women who were kidnapped from truck stops in various parts of the country, tortured and raped, police said.

"We are very optimistic we have identified the people responsible for the death of Casey Jo Pipestem," Grapevine police Sgt. Bob Murphy said Friday.

John Robert Williams, 29, and his girlfriend, Rachel Cumberland, 36, pleaded guilty Tuesday to charges in connection with the slaying of a Mississippi woman kidnapped from a gambling resort.

Ted Underwood of Seminole, Okla., Pipestem's uncle, said his family was planning a February memorial service after Grapevine Detective Cpl. Larry Hallmark said he had few leads. But Hallmark said producers of the television show America's Most Wanted wanted to attend the service.

The June 4 episode generated about 70 tips, and one from a relative of Williams' helped Grapevine police connect Pipestem's death to the couple.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/12094551.htm

Dark Knight
07-10-2005, 05:34 AM
A Mississippi long-haul truck driver and his girlfriend emerged as suspects Friday in the January 2004 slaying of Casey Jo Pipestem, a 19-year-old prostitute whose body was found in Grapevine.

The couple, who have been in Mississippi jails nearly a year, are also suspected in the slayings of women who were kidnapped from truck stops in various parts of the country, tortured and raped, police said.

"We are very optimistic we have identified the people responsible for the death of Casey Jo Pipestem," Grapevine police Sgt. Bob Murphy said Friday.

John Robert Williams, 29, and his girlfriend, Rachel Cumberland, 36, pleaded guilty Tuesday to charges in connection with the slaying of a Mississippi woman kidnapped from a gambling resort.

Ted Underwood of Seminole, Okla., Pipestem's uncle, said his family was planning a February memorial service after Grapevine Detective Cpl. Larry Hallmark said he had few leads. But Hallmark said producers of the television show America's Most Wanted wanted to attend the service.

The June 4 episode generated about 70 tips, and one from a relative of Williams' helped Grapevine police connect Pipestem's death to the couple.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/12094551.htm
Wow!!!! The similarities are amazing, including the casino connection. I feel that my Jane Does Lucky Star watch is from the Oklahoma casino. I need to find someone in OK to send the link from our Jane Doe to them and ask them to look into it. Local LE haven't said a word about the evidence I sent them last year, so who knows if they ever took it seriously, despite always telling the media how much they want to solve it. But LE in OK might be even more interested. Thanks for the info!!!!!

mysteriew
07-10-2005, 08:16 AM
In Oklahoma, authorities said investigators plan to travel to Mississippi to question Williams, said Jessica Brown, spokeswoman for the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation.

"This is very encouraging for OSBI," Brown said. "We're hopeful this man can give us some answers to the cases we're investigating from Oklahoma and others."

Authorities believe more than a single individual is responsible for the multistate string of killings.

"We've never thought it was just one person," she said.

Officials in Yukon, Okla., on the western edge of the Oklahoma City metropolitan area, are considering charges against the pair in the kidnapping and murder of Samantha Patrick, 22, of Oklahoma City.

On Tuesday, Williams pleaded guilty in Neshoba County Circuit Court to the kidnapping and murder of Nikki Hill, 28, of Shuqulak. Her body was found July 18, 2004, off a Neshoba County road near Mississippi 16 West in Philadelphia. She appeared to have been shot several times.

Williams was sentenced to life plus 20 years on the charges. Cumberland on Tuesday pleaded guilty to manslaughter in Hill's death and received a 20-year sentence, Phillips said.

Phillips said Williams was arrested in Pearl on Aug. 17, 2004, by Mississippi Bureau of Investigation agents and Neshoba County deputies. Cumberland was arrested shortly before then in Pearl, authorities say. http://www.picayuneitem.com/articles/2005/07/10/news/12slaying.txt

Richard
07-10-2005, 10:14 AM
I wonder if these murders and disappearances might be related to the Rosa Doe case? See separate thread this forum...

--------------------------------------------------------------
Unidentified White Female AKA: Rosa Doe
The victim was discovered on May 21, 2003 in Northern Hancock County, Mississippi
Estimated Date of Death: 3 days - 3 weeks
Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 32 - 42 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5’1” - 5’4".
Dentals: Extensive Dental work including crowns and porcelain veneers.
Clothing: Her clothing had been burned off. Jewerly: two gold bands on her right hand, and on her left thumb, she wore a silver-tone “heart” shaped ring with a hollowed-out center.
AKA: Rosa Doe
Case History
The victim was located in the Nasa Buffer Zone area of Northern Hancock County, Mississippi on May 21, 2003.
Investigators believe it is possible that she was a transient & this was a drug deal gone bad. The area is known to have transients and crack addicts. She had been seen at truck stops around the I-10 & I-12 area of Louisiana. Unlike most addicts, at one point in her life, she had spent a lot of money on dental work including crowns and porcelain veneers.
It is possible that she was killed either in Louisiana or Pearl River County, MS and was brought to Santa Rosa for disposal.
Three possible suspects have been interviewed regarding the death of "Rosa Doe" , but no charges have been made against anyone yet.
The Doe Network: Case File 414UFMS
Agency Case Number: 03-07192
NCIC Number: U-350004590
If you have any information about this case please contact: Hancock County Sheriff's Office, Investigator Rita Blaize-Watson 228-467-0325
Source Information:
Hancock County Sheriff's Office
Link:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/414ufms.html

gatetrekker44
07-10-2005, 11:28 PM
it does not appear to be something that was mass-produced. Rather, something that was hand-crafted-possibly on an Indian reservation. I wear a lot of silver/turquoise jewelry, and the designs appear to be American Indian influenced. It also appears that she had the ring a long time-since silver is a "soft" metal, prolonged wear of silver rings tends to make them take on the individual shape of the person's finger. Has anyone tried showing the ring to an American Indian? They may be able to shed some light on some of the symbols on the ring.

Bring Maura home!

Dark Knight
07-11-2005, 02:13 AM
it does not appear to be something that was mass-produced. Rather, something that was hand-crafted-possibly on an Indian reservation. I wear a lot of silver/turquoise jewelry, and the designs appear to be American Indian influenced. It also appears that she had the ring a long time-since silver is a "soft" metal, prolonged wear of silver rings tends to make them take on the individual shape of the person's finger. Has anyone tried showing the ring to an American Indian? They may be able to shed some light on some of the symbols on the ring.

Bring Maura home!
Thanks for the terrific insight!!!! Much appreciated.

Since I need to e-mail the link and info, I am having trouble finding the right authorities in Oklahoma that even HAVE e-mails. It's driving me batty, lol!

mysteriew
07-13-2005, 11:31 AM
At least eight other similar murders are being investigated to see if they can be linked to the pair, and Oklahoma authorities have said they will travel to Mississippi to question Williams.

A date for the Lafayette County case has not been set.

http://www.djournal.com/pages/story.asp?ID=197198&pub=1&div=News

mysteriew
07-13-2005, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the terrific insight!!!! Much appreciated.

Since I need to e-mail the link and info, I am having trouble finding the right authorities in Oklahoma that even HAVE e-mails. It's driving me batty, lol!

Try contacting the reporters who wrote the associated articles. They may be able to give you contact info on the proper LE who are handling the cases.

Dark Knight
10-08-2005, 05:00 AM
*bumping*

Marie
01-17-2006, 01:27 PM
I don't know if anyone is still watching this thread but here's a little information about the items found with her and the tattoo.

The tattoo (as mentioned before) is a popular tattoo among Hispanics called the pachuco cross. This cross is surrounded by three small rays or dashes and is placed on the hand crease between the thumb and forefinger. Rich in religious meaning, the cross symbolizes the death and resurrection while the three rays represent each of the Trinity – Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

Of course this woman's tattoo was found on her shoulder, not on her hand. But I'm wondering if they've identified her race as Mexican/Hispanic? The FBI website says White, but I wonder.

I found a reference on the web to a Tom Redmond winning a Lucky Star watch in August 2004 as a door prize at the Glendale Coin Club- www.glencoin.com. The door prizes were purchased from a dealer called Coins Plus in Newhall, CA - http://www.coinsplus.net/ It may be worth calling to find out more about this door prize watch: 818 362-6566

There is a Lucky Star's brand watch from an estate sale on Ebay - link (http://cgi.ebay.com/LUCKY-STAR-UNISEX-SILVER-BLUE-WATCH-BLACK-LEATHER-BAND_W0QQitemZ4935927106QQcategoryZ31387QQssPageNa meZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
It does not look like the one found with the body and does not show a photo of the back (I've written the seller asking for a photo), but Lucky Star is on the front and I can see in the photo's of Jane Doe's watch that there is writing but can't read it.

Marie
01-17-2006, 03:41 PM
I now have a photo (http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/4Susan/LUCKYSTAR.jpg) of the back of the Ebay watch - it looks identical. The seller did not know much about Lucky Star watches but had this to say:

" We have had about 3 or 4 of this brand and they all seem to be of good quality. All of them have a dome crystal that will focus light like a spotlight on the dial. Like I said, I really don't know anything about this brand except that they are nice watches with better than average quality and workmanship."

So, if that's true about the quality then what was she doing with such a watch?

docwho3
01-17-2006, 09:24 PM
Tom Redmond won a Lucky star watch
http://www.glencoin.com/PDF_Files/GlenCoin_News_9_9,_September_2004.pdf

info on shoulder tattoos
http://www.lsus.edu/la/journals/ideology/contents/vol25/tattoos.pdf

Gang signs listed on Gang Intelligence Unit website
Common tattoos: three dots "Mi Vida Loca," tear drops, pachuco cross, words with the #13 or #14 in them, pitch forks, crosses, 5- or 6-point stars, and 5- or 6-point crowns, two masks – one happy/one sad.http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Police/About+Us/Departments/Gang+Intelligence+Unit.htm
Note: I also found an article stating that in some places tattooists refused to place tattoos on hands except to cover up a tattoo because of the gang significance & because of the trouble it is to remove a tattoo from the hand.
While the tattoo in question does not always signify gang involvement, it is something to keep in mind.

Another popular tattoo among Hispanics is the pachuco cross. This cross is surrounded by three small rays or dashes and is placed on the hand crease between the thumb and forefinger. Rich in religious meaning, the cross symbolizes the death and resurrection while the three rays represent each of the Trinity – Father, Son and Holy Ghost. http://www.tattoojohnny.com/gang-tattoo-designs.asp

Becba
01-19-2006, 08:59 AM
This site has a pachuco cross as a gang tattoo.

It is spelled with one c, doenetwork I think misspelled it as pacchuco.

http://www.shutitdown.net/gangtattoos/

Dark Knight
07-17-2006, 02:09 AM
I now have a photo (http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/4Susan/LUCKYSTAR.jpg) of the back of the Ebay watch - it looks identical. The seller did not know much about Lucky Star watches but had this to say:

" We have had about 3 or 4 of this brand and they all seem to be of good quality. All of them have a dome crystal that will focus light like a spotlight on the dial. Like I said, I really don't know anything about this brand except that they are nice watches with better than average quality and workmanship."

So, if that's true about the quality then what was she doing with such a watch?

You are right, that is the same watch. But the FBI link describes it as a "cheap" watch. Hmmmm. Good sleuthing finding this! Sorry I didn't see it sooner.

As mentioned before, Lucky Star is a casino in Oklahoma, and the truck stop serial killer is from OK and killed his victims in the same manner she was killed. I am still thinking there is a connection. Thoughts?

justice2
07-17-2006, 10:06 AM
In Oklahoma, authorities said investigators plan to travel to Mississippi to question Williams, said Jessica Brown, spokeswoman for the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation.

Don't know if you already done this or not, but I'm pretty sure this is the gal in Oklahoma you need to contact. I know if says spokeswoman, but I'm pretty sure she is an agent. One of the killings happened in Gray County, Texas, in 2003 so it was on the news alot here. The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation was on the news alot, apparently heading up the investigation, and I distinctly remember the person being female. I didn't see this name on their website, but there is a place to contact a public information officer.

I think we should go back to shipping stuff by railroad. Truckstop just trash out our towns, tear up our roads, trucks and cars on the road don't mix, well I could go on.

anthrobones
01-24-2007, 08:07 PM
[/URL][url]http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/180ufin.html (http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/180ufin.html)

Unidentified White Female

Located on September 6, 1999 in Angola, Steuben County, Indiana.
Cause of death is undetemined, believed to be homicide.
The estimated time of death is 30 - 90 days prior to discovery

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 40 - 50 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'4"
Distinguishing Characteristics: She had shoulder length brownish/red hair that may have been curly. There were evidence of a healed nose fracture. She was of slight to medium build.
Dentals: She had poor dental health with a 40 percent overbite.. Dental records are available.
Tattoos: She had a tattoo of a "Pachucco Cross" or what may have been a palm tree on the upper left shoulder.
Clothing: None located
Jewelry: A southwest sterling silver ring, size 4 1/2 with a turquoise stone, hoop earrings and a cheap "Lucky Star" watch with a brown leather band were found with the victim

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/images/180UFINRing.jpg http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/images/180UFINcross.jpg http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/images/180UFINwatch1.jpg
Left: Victim's Ring Center: Victim's Tattoo Right & Far Right: Victim's Watch

Case History
On September 6, 1999, police discovered the nude remains of an unidentified female in a field northeast of Angola, Indiana, approximately 2.5 miles east of Interstate 69. It appeared that the remians had been there for at least five weeks prior to being discovered. A bra was wrapped around her neck, indicating that the victim was possibly strangled.

Dark Knight
04-08-2007, 12:28 PM
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/180ufin.html

Unidentified White Female

Located on September 6, 1999 in Angola, Steuben County, Indiana.
Cause of death is undetemined, believed to be homicide.
The estimated time of death is 30 - 90 days prior to discovery.

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 40 - 50 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'4"
Distinguishing Characteristics: She had shoulder length brownish/red hair that may have been curly. There were evidence of a healed nose fracture. She was of slight to medium build.
Dentals: She had poor dental health with a 40 percent overbite.. Dental records are available.
Tattoos: She had a tattoo of a "Pachucco Cross" or what may have been a palm tree on the upper left shoulder.
Clothing: None located
Jewelry: A southwest sterling silver ring, size 4 1/2 with a turquoise stone, hoop earrings and a cheap "Lucky Star" watch with a brown leather band were found with the victim.
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/images/180UFINRing.jpg http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/images/180UFINcross.jpg http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/images/180UFINwatch1.jpg http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/images/180UFINwatch2.jpg
Left: Victim's Ring Center: Victim's Tattoo Right & Far Right: Victim's Watch

Case History
On September 6, 1999, police discovered the nude remains of an unidentified female in a field northeast of Angola, Indiana, approximately 2.5 miles east of Interstate 69. It appeared that the remians had been there for at least five weeks prior to being discovered. A bra was wrapped around her neck, indicating that the victim was possibly strangled.

I've been working on this case for several years now! How did you become involved? I used to have a thread on here about it, but cannot find it at the moment.

I found another victim on the doe network just today with the exact same cross tattoo. Pachucco, or something like that.

LionRun
04-08-2007, 07:09 PM
I cannot get the 4 pics to work. All I see are X's. Is there a way for me to see the pics? This looks possibly solvable.

Lion

anthrobones
04-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Hi. Doenetwork changed from doenetwork.us to doenetwork.org. That's why the old links do not work anymore. Here is the new link, the photos are there:

anthrobones
04-08-2007, 10:06 PM
I think they spelled Pachuco wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pachuco

anthrobones
04-08-2007, 10:12 PM
"Along with the pachuco cross, it is a popular "generic" tattoo among Latino (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latino) teenagers, and has no direct connection to gangs. "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_tattoo

http://www.tattoojohnny.com/gang-tattoo-designs.asp

More info at above link, will not let me copy/paste.

Dark Knight
02-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Bumping this up. We still need to solve this murder and find out who the victim is. I am still convinced it's the truck stop murderer from Oklahoma.

absinthe
06-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Just saw this, very interesting!

Kat
05-02-2010, 02:04 AM
Bump.

I've read all three pages. I looked at the doenetwork webpage for her and I looked at the items found with her individually and then as a whole (context).

gatetrekker44 talked about the ring above. It is handmade surely I agree. It is of poor quality and although not mass produce probably was rather inexpensive (IMHO).

The watch I disagree on the value. It was probably a mass produced import. From WS member Marie http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/4Susan/LUCKYSTAR.jpg

A quick google search lead me to an Asian company that produces such items. Although they might have a following that collect them now? I don't know.

The tattoo.

In context two of those items lead me to believe that this Jane Doe was from the area in which I now reside (until next month). El Paso area of Texas (which can include Southern NM, and Juarez Mexico).

El Chuco. El Paso is still called by the nickname "El Chuco" but the meaning has been lost over the years. Now it's just a nickname. In fact, some people I have talked to say it translates to "the dirty". Meaning EP is dirty.

She had a tattoo that was representative of El Chuco on her shoulder. I would take that to mean that she was probably from this area or spent time in this area that was significant to her. She could easily have had that tattoo without any gang affliations. IMHO. Easily.

When I look at the context of the items found with her it gives me the idea that she was more than likely living below the line of poverty (teeth included too) and more than likely came from this area or the surrounding areas.

If you look at a map of where EP is, it shares a border with NM and Mexico. When I say it shares a border with NM, I could leave my home right now and travel over the Franklin Mnts (transmountain hwy) and be in NM in less than 25 mins.

I do agree with the above poster who suggested that perhaps even though she was identified as Caucasian that her race be looked at again because Hispanic is not a race, it is an ethnicity and almost every hispanic in EP will tell you that they are caucasian of hispanic descent. I have seen hispanics that looked as caucasian as any european I have seen. JMHO.

I do think she was a transient in IN from this area possibly. I will nose around the local LE's and see if they have anything posted on their websites for a missing person that might match her description.

Dark Knight
05-11-2010, 12:23 AM
This case has proven to be almost unsolvable:

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/seekinfo/janedoeindiana.htm

Most theories believe that she was a truck stop prostitute and was killed by a trucker and dumped on one of his trips far away from the crime.

Dark Knight
05-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Any ideas?

Fairy1
05-12-2010, 12:02 PM
There are some interesting possibilities linked to the Pachuco cross tattoo - either gang-related or very religious. Here is some history on the Pachuco subculture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pachuco

And the Pachuco cross in particular:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090121172732AALVCBm

Fairy1
05-12-2010, 09:45 PM
Is there a strong Mexican gang presence in Indiana or is it more likely she was from CA or TX?

passionflower
05-12-2010, 09:47 PM
OH my! We own property ( a lake cottage ) near there. (Orland)
My husbands sister lives there. I have never heard of this murder.

Dark Knight
05-14-2010, 04:18 AM
Is there a strong Mexican gang presence in Indiana or is it more likely she was from CA or TX?

LE believes she is from the Southwest. No real Mexican gang presence here to speak of.

Mensch
05-14-2010, 02:52 PM
LE believes she is from the Southwest. No real Mexican gang presence here to speak of.
If LE believes she is from the Southwest, then I suggest that is where to concentrate on research. I have to disagree with you on the gang activity. Not sure where you live, but Texas, Arizona and California are the hub states for Mexican gang activity and it is increasing daily. This includes everything from street corner hanging out (original definition of "gang") all the way up to the Texas Mafia - crimes dealing with homicide, drugs, auto theft, rape, home invasions, drugs - just pick a crime. Much of that activity is controlled from and by prison inmates who were outside gang members. DOJ stats available to the public.

Dark Knight
05-14-2010, 06:01 PM
If LE believes she is from the Southwest, then I suggest that is where to concentrate on research. I have to disagree with you on the gang activity. Not sure where you live, but Texas, Arizona and California are the hub states for Mexican gang activity and it is increasing daily. This includes everything from street corner hanging out (original definition of "gang") all the way up to the Texas Mafia - crimes dealing with homicide, drugs, auto theft, rape, home invasions, drugs - just pick a crime. Much of that activity is controlled from and by prison inmates who were outside gang members. DOJ stats available to the public.

I meant there is no Mexican gang activity where she was found, to speak of.

She was wearing a Lucky Star watch, and Lucky Star is a casino in Oklahoma. If I remember right, the logos were even similar.

LE is just assuming she is from the SW, there is no concrete evidence of it.

Dark Knight
05-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Another link from the Steuben County Website:

http://www.steubencounty.com/steuben_news_detail.aspx?nid=4c07d044-d9e8-4333-ae9a-d5d1bbbd68cf

reasypeasy
05-30-2010, 11:15 AM
This case has proven to be almost unsolvable:

Most theories believe that she was a truck stop prostitute and was killed by a trucker and dumped on one of his trips far away from the crime.

She seems a bit on the old side to be a prostitute. I'm not saying that there aren't 40 to 50 year old prostitutes, just it is way up the top end of the age range and you'd expect her either to be really well known somewhere (because to make a full living at that age you would really have to work it and spend a lot of time approaching a lot of guys) or to only do it occasionally when the money and foodstamps ran out before the month did. Coincidentally, a five week timeframe would put her death around about the change of months.

A_News_Junkie
05-30-2010, 11:59 AM
The watch appears to be possibly a nursing/military watch - or marketed as such. I found a battery for sale on ebay for a Lucky Star nursing watch and then I just found this forum and the company name has changed - but perhaps finding out where the watches were sold - marketed could provide clue of where she is from.
Snip"The lucky Star Brand military wristwatch, were the 1980s, the Jilin Wrist watch plant (original Chinese one of eight dexterity watch factories; Latter changes the name for the Jilin wristwatch Industrial corporation) produces. "
http://www.unionjack4.com/?s=lucky+star

Dark Knight
06-03-2010, 09:13 AM
The watch appears to be possibly a nursing/military watch - or marketed as such. I found a battery for sale on ebay for a Lucky Star nursing watch and then I just found this forum and the company name has changed - but perhaps finding out where the watches were sold - marketed could provide clue of where she is from.
Snip"The lucky Star Brand military wristwatch, were the 1980s, the Jilin Wrist watch plant (original Chinese one of eight dexterity watch factories; Latter changes the name for the Jilin wristwatch Industrial corporation) produces. "
http://www.unionjack4.com/?s=lucky+star

Any chance of finding a photo of the military watch logo to see if it matches? I didn't see one at the link.

believe09
06-03-2010, 09:30 AM
I wonder if there was any physical evidence at the time or could be processed now...like touch DNA on the bra?

A_News_Junkie
06-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Any chance of finding a photo of the military watch logo to see if it matches? I didn't see one at the link.
I see this link on ebay - maybe we write the seller?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Larger-Lucky-Star-Womens-Nurses-Watch-New-Battery-/170391055582?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Wristwatches&hash=item27ac192cde

A_News_Junkie
06-03-2010, 10:40 AM
I see this link on ebay - maybe we write the seller?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Larger-Lucky-Star-Womens-Nurses-Watch-New-Battery-/170391055582?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Wristwatches&hash=item27ac192cde
WHOOOOOOOOOOOAAAH, SCROLL DOWN!!!!!! IS THAT IT? THE LOGO, THAT IS? Sorry, cap lock on, excited!

Vask
06-03-2010, 02:57 PM
WHOOOOOOOOOOOAAAH, SCROLL DOWN!!!!!! IS THAT IT? THE LOGO, THAT IS? Sorry, cap lock on, excited!

Yes, it's the same logo. Even has a small star in front of the "S" in the word "Star". The first image is from the ebay link, the 2nd belonging to Jane Doe.

Vask
06-03-2010, 03:27 PM
I think I might've found who owns Lucky Star. I ran across this page: http://jewelry.zibb.com/trademark/lucky+star/29536513 which led to me googling 'dingbats inc' and came across this page: http://www.dingbatswatch.com/index.html. If you click 'About Us' it lists LuckyStar.

Whether or not this is the SAME Lucky Star I can't be sure without some sort of logo image.
I'm going to email them and see if JD's watch is one of theirs or not.

//edit
Here is my email I sent (included with pictures of JD's watch):

Hi, my name is Melissa and I help a group of people at a website known as Websleuths.com who work to identify/locate missing and unidentified people.

A Jane Doe was found in Angola, Indiana wearing a LuckyStar brand watch with a leather strap. After some searching I noticed Dingbats Inc/TooStars also owns a "LuckyStar" brand name. If you could, could you please let me know if this watch design/logo is one of yours? And if so, possibly the date range and/or areas it would've been sold.

Also, I'm including the link to her missing persons report at FBI.gov: http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/seekinfo/janedoeindiana.htm

Thank you,
Melissa.

Vask
06-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Cross posted to the other thread, possible connection?
Unidentified White Female, 19-27, Found in Darlington County, South Carolina - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Both females found off of an interstate with their bras/bra wires around their necks.

Also, I believe this is the same UID: http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12314&highlight=strangle+bra

mahoneys07
06-04-2010, 09:18 AM
What about Annabelle Ludwig?
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/5150/26/

NamUs MP#5152

Dark Knight
06-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Yes, it's the same logo. Even has a small star in front of the "S" in the word "Star". The first image is from the ebay link, the 2nd belonging to Jane Doe.

Good job!!!!!!!!! That's a perfect match! :woohoo:

CarlK90245
06-04-2010, 09:46 AM

NamUs MP#5152

Interesting - Not for this Jane Doe, but for the Knox County TN Shotgun Jane.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/607uftn.html

Dark Knight
06-04-2010, 12:04 PM

NamUs MP#5152

It sure looks like her, but the timeline seems way off, if I read it right.

mahoneys07
06-04-2010, 12:43 PM
I missed the time of death within 5 weeks sorry about that.

Vask
06-04-2010, 01:50 PM
So far no email back yet.

I think I might've found who owns Lucky Star. I ran across this page: http://jewelry.zibb.com/trademark/lucky+star/29536513 which led to me googling 'dingbats inc' and came across this page: http://www.dingbatswatch.com/index.html. If you click 'About Us' it lists LuckyStar.

Whether or not this is the SAME Lucky Star I can't be sure without some sort of logo image.
I'm going to email them and see if JD's watch is one of theirs or not.

//edit
Here is my email I sent (included with pictures of JD's watch):

nerosleuth
06-04-2010, 09:39 PM
Cross posted to the other thread, possible connection?
Unidentified White Female, 19-27, Found in Darlington County, South Carolina - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community (http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36489)

Both females found off of an interstate with their bras/bra wires around their necks.

Both female victims were strangled and were found away from the interstate.

Just thinking out loud here about this.

I have to wonder that if the poor dental conditions of both female victims were the result of being involved with narcotics. It could be possible that they were drug couriers or drug users.

It also possible that the interstates where they were found away from are the main drug pipeline routes. In Indiana, I-69 starts at Indianapolis and ends in Port Huron, Michigan where it connects with the bridge that crosses into Canada. I-20 starts at I-10 in Texas and ends at I-95 in South Carolina.

So I have to wonder if it is possible that the killings were actually drug related and the killer wanted the victim's deaths to appear as the handiwork of a serial killer in order to throw LE off track.

Vask
06-04-2010, 10:49 PM
Heard back regarding the watch manufacturer:

Melissa,

I received your email.
I am very sorry about the situation.
I have seen the online post and hope you can find resolution.
We do make Luckystar watches and this watch was marketed in mass market stores all over the USA.
I do not have other information as the watch is very basic and not unique to one retailer.
I am sorry I do not have more information for you.

Regards,
<name removed just in case>

angelwngs
07-19-2010, 03:19 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/07/19/grace.coldcase.jane.doe/index.html?hpt=T2

Sterling silver and turquoise ring thought to be one of a kind and guessed to be around 20 years old and a watch were found on the female white or hispanic female Jane Doe located in a field on the outskirts of Angola, Indiana. The victim is thought to be between 40 and 50 at the time of her death almost 11 years ago. DNA was recovered from the body. Much more information and a sketch of how the victim might have looked at the time of her death can be found at link above.

hoppyfrog
07-19-2010, 03:50 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/07/19/grace.coldcase.jane.doe/index.html?hpt=T2

Indiana farmer Maurice "Gene" Headley was driving his tractor to check out his corn and beans one day in September 1999 when he saw what he first thought was a deer carcass.

much more at link

KLCD620
07-21-2010, 12:54 PM
I think you put it into wrong Alcala thread. It should be the unidentified folder.

fuego
07-24-2010, 09:22 PM
Nancy Grace recently covered this cold case. http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/07/19/grace.coldcase.jane.doe/index.html?npt=NP1

I'm glad to see some media attention to the unidentified... would love to see this woman's case solved!

Cubby
07-29-2010, 10:56 AM
bump to merge

RubyRed
08-14-2010, 06:34 PM
http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/seekinfo/janedoeindiana.jpg

DESCRIPTION
Sex: Female Eyes: Unknown
Height: 5'4" Race: White
Weight: Unknown Complexion: Unknown
Remarks: The victim appeared to have a slight to medium build, pierced ears and a small tattoo of a "Pachuco cross" (symbol shown below) on her upper left arm. She was wearing a size 4 1/2 sterling ring with a turquoise stone (shown below), hoop earrings, and a "Lucky Star" watch with a brown leather band (shown below). Her teeth were in poor condition with a 40 percent overbite.

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/seekinfo/janejoering.jpg

Sterling ring with turquoise stone, size 4 1/2

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/seekinfo/janedoecross.jpg

Pachuco Cross

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/seekinfo/janedoewatch1.jpg

Face of "Lucky Star" watch with brown leather band

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/seekinfo/janedoewatch2.jpg

Back of "Lucky Star" watch with
brown leather band

lieber32
11-20-2010, 10:49 PM
I meant there is no Mexican gang activity where she was found, to speak of.

She was wearing a Lucky Star watch, and Lucky Star is a casino in Oklahoma. If I remember right, the logos were even similar.

LE is just assuming she is from the SW, there is no concrete evidence of it.

How do you know no gang activity exists in Indianna. I live in St.Louis and work for LE and read about gang activity all the time in police reports or when doing a background check using REJIS. Before working for LE and having access to what others don't I'd be of the same mind. Whats reported and what is, is not always the same. By the way while in college and on the debate team we debated a school in Indiana and had to go through Indianapolis. Every year we got lost in Indianapolis in the wrong part of town, way wrong, I personally thnk there is probably gang activity in Indiana.

webrocket
05-24-2011, 10:03 PM
I did not see any Namus link in this thread so here it is:

https://identifyus.org/cases/4861

only one rule-out is listed, Janeth Rowe.

Still looking in MS
10-25-2012, 09:43 AM
Ok, please accept my apologies as you read this, but I am unable to get the doenetwork link on this woman's death / case number to work. And, can someone please post some information about when, exactly, this happened in 1999? This has Tommy Lynn Sells written all over it, IF the dates work out. In May of '99, he strangled Haley McHone in Lexington, KY, with her own shirt, spent the night in jail on a public intoxication charge, then hopped a freight and got off in Indiana; he broke into a small office, stole a truck, and headed north. (Still in Indiana) Then he ended up in Madison, Wisconsin, where he also spent some time time in the drunk tank and a few weeks more, thanks to a fight with an inmate. He got out of jail in Madison, WI on 6/24/99 and then headed back home to Del Rio, Texas. Does anyone know if these dates work out for the death of this unfortunate woman? It is true, I should add, that by this time TLS was tending towards younger and younger victims; but it is also said in a couple of sources that he had built up quite a bit of hostility towards his (hispanic) mother-in-law back in Texas, possibly in relation to Child Services investigating whether or not he had engaged in any abuse of his step-children (this investigation was dropped, by the way, and he was at least cleared of that). But: Sells was not one to pass up on an opportunity to vent his homicidal rage on a surrogate for whoever it was he deemed had "done him wrong." Just a thought.

ctaylor
10-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Ok, please accept my apologies as you read this, but I am unable to get the doenetwork link on this woman's death / case number to work. And, can someone please post some information about when, exactly, this happened in 1999? This has Tommy Lynn Sells written all over it, IF the dates work out. In May of '99, he strangled Haley McHone in Lexington, KY, with her own shirt, spent the night in jail on a public intoxication charge, then hopped a freight and got off in Indiana; he broke into a small office, stole a truck, and headed north. (Still in Indiana) Then he ended up in Madison, Wisconsin, where he also spent some time time in the drunk tank and a few weeks more, thanks to a fight with an inmate. He got out of jail in Madison, WI on 6/24/99 and then headed back home to Del Rio, Texas. Does anyone know if these dates work out for the death of this unfortunate woman? It is true, I should add, that by this time TLS was tending towards younger and younger victims; but it is also said in a couple of sources that he had built up quite a bit of hostility towards his (hispanic) mother-in-law back in Texas, possibly in relation to Child Services investigating whether or not he had engaged in any abuse of his step-children (this investigation was dropped, by the way, and he was at least cleared of that). But: Sells was not one to pass up on an opportunity to vent his homicidal rage on a surrogate for whoever it was he deemed had "done him wrong." Just a thought.
Hi, this is the Doe Network link http://doenetwork.org/cases/180ufin.html

Classito
04-01-2014, 06:43 PM
http://www.charleyproject.org/images/s/sendejas_jo.jpghttp://doenetwork.org/cases/images/180UFIN.jpg

Jo Sendejas

The date is off...allegedly missing since Dec 24, 1999...Not sure how flexible that date is..Sometimes people wait about reporting then feel guilty and don't give the right date of missing...Everything else seems to fit pretty good...Bad dental, Curly hair, Height within estimation, hoop earrings, a silver ring (pinkie), 40 yrs old...Nose, overbite, Hispanic...

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/9053/0/

Classito