PDA

View Full Version : TN TN - Bethany Leanne Markowski, 11, Jackson, 4 March 2001

emma l
09-15-2004, 08:15 AM
http://www.find-missing-children.org/Posters/poster87.htm Bethanys missing page with SUSPECT COMPOSITE.

I thought I'd post this case because first and foremost there is a child missing. But for all you "websleuths" out there I thought it might attract your attention because there is a twist.

Bethany, (then 11) went missing from a mall (according to her father) was positively identified by SEVERAL witnesses, 4 months after she went missing. She was with an unidentified woman who tried to enrol her in school under a DIFFERENT NAME. Then Bethany was sighted again with the same woman in a restaurant.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/special_reports/crimestopper.cfm?DID=4465 An article detailing the sighting of Bethany with the mystery woman.

I wondered how often this happens and people don't notice? If only the school administrator had been a little quicker or had seen Bethany's photo, she might be home now. Apparently I read that the woman with Bethany acted suspicious when asked for Bethanys papers and said "her dad has them" and that she'd come back. She never did.

This is such an unusual case. Why would someone abduct an 11 year old, only to keep her and enrol her in school? And its so unusual for it to be a woman............

Prayers for Bethany and her family. Please read her story and look at her photo VERY closely. This happened in 2001 and police believe Bethany is still alive. She could go to your children's school! Does anyone who lives in that area have any more info on her?

http://www.ticic.state.tn.us/Missing_Children/miss_child_markowski.htm Heres a slightly different photo of Bethany.

http://www.jacksoncrimestoppers.com/bethany_l_markowski.htm Another photo of this child.

Fran Bancroft
09-15-2004, 10:05 AM
So, is it thought that the father is involved?

I found it curious that the woman said "her father has (the papers)"

Also, that the child hasn't runaway.

And that dad was last to see her.

I am not familiar with the case, but, that was my first thought.

Are mom and dad together? Or divorced/seperated?

emma l
09-15-2004, 10:21 AM
Hey Fran,

Thanks for taking an interest! Mum and dad are seperated-Bethany was on visitation with her dad when she vanished. I read an article (which i now can't find) where Bethanys mum said "He has not hepled to find Bethany. He has moved away and remarried" I distinctly remember those words because she stopped short of accusing the father.

I found this about Bethanys dad:
snip.........."Although police have not named a suspect in this case, authorities told News 2 Markowski's story just didn't add up.

And it starts from the beginning - his claim that Bethany was at the mall.

Investigators said there's no evidence she ever stepped foot inside the place.

Bethany does not show up on mall surveillance. :( Markowski told News 2 he loves his daughter and had nothing to do with her disappearance. Bethany's mom won't discuss his flimsy story. She just wants Bethany.

"I just want my daughter back. I want her home. I want her safe. If him or anybody has information, it's time. This has gone on too long. This is not a game." snip.............:http://www.wkrn.com/Global/story.asp?S=689331&nav=1ugB7exf

And also this...........
snip.......''I feel confident this is not a runaway situation,'' said Jack VanHooser Jr., assistant special agent in charge with the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation.

Bethany and her father, Larry, had been in Little Rock, Ark., and were on their way back to meet the mother, Johnnie Jo, at the Waverly exit off Interstate 40. On the way, they stopped at the Old Hickory Mall in Jackson.

''He went to sleep in the parking lot for about an hour while she went into the mall,'' VanHooser said.

When he awoke, the father went into the mall to meet Bethany. He called Jackson police when he couldn't find her.

VanHooser said both parents are being investigated, along with others, but declined to name suspects" snip...........

http://www.tennessean.com/local/archives/01/04/04839135.shtml?Element_ID=4839135[/url]

And also this (although I am VERY sceptical of psychics)

"Missing Girl's Mom Seeks Help From Famed Psychic, Carla Baron

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2003/9/prweb80585.htm

Its a weird situation. Also for anyone reading this, who might know something (and I'm sure people do) theres an $18,500 reward.

I really believe Bethany is alive and well somewhere. People don't bother to enroll children in school and take them to restaurants for no reason.This person is obviously intending keeping the child. Lets TRY and stop them!!

Lady Sleuth
09-15-2004, 11:52 AM
Is the lady who was with Bethany in the restaurant and at the school the lady that Bethany's father is supposed to have married? Has anyone been shown a photo? This sounds very easy to me....show a photo of the lady the father married to those who saw her. Was it the father's wife?

Lady Sleuth
JMHO

emma l
09-15-2004, 11:58 AM
I don't know- I can't find any new information -its very frustrating. I guess as Bethanys fathers story was always suspicious they would have kept an eye on him. I did think that initially.

I mean I GUESS so, but I'm not sure. Surely the police would have met his new partner?? I HOPE they met all her friends as well................

This case just bugs me. I feel like it can be solved. But the longer it goes on..............

The woman attempted to enroll Bethany in school. That means she would probably try again. SOMEBODY IS TEACHING BETHANY. I hope they have sent her poster to every school in the state. And if that doesnt work, every school within 100 miles of the state. And if that doesnt work..........

Bethany sat in a restaurant with this woman, she went to a school and never spoke up- never screamed or yelled her real name. Either- she is very scared OR SHE KNOWS THE WOMAN.

Its SO annoying. This case can be solved. :banghead:

Arielle
09-15-2004, 01:33 PM
Bethany looks so incredibly familiar to me and I don't know why.

Very strange story. Reminds me of Steven Stayner, who lived with his captor for 7 years without telling anyone who he really was.

WasBlind
09-16-2004, 02:36 AM
Bethany looks so incredibly familiar to me and I don't know why.

Very strange story. Reminds me of Steven Stayner, who lived with his captor for 7 years without telling anyone who he really was.

Sad story....both of them.
Steven's thread, one of them, can be viewed here
http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4642
He was brainwashed and lived in fear, and after some time could not remember his last name *sigh*
Hence the book "I Know My First Name Is Steven"

Prayers for Bethany, and for answers and soon.
With HOPE, Lanie

IslandGirl
09-16-2004, 02:46 PM
Of course, I would hope that not only the new wife was investigated, but also any aunts, grandmothers, or other female relatives (sister, cousin, etc.) of the father. An extended family can often be quite a support system, even for the crooked.

jat
09-16-2004, 03:54 PM
Schools, at least in the 80s did not pay any attention to children being enrolled under wrong names. When I was 5, my mom married a guy with the last name of Smith (changed for obvious reasons). My name had been Jane Jones (again, changed). I went to kindergarten under the name Jane Jones. Then, my mom told me my new name was Jane Smith. I remember learning how to spell it and everything. My stepdad never adopted me.

So, the next year, 1981, I went to a new school and enrolled under Jane Smith. My social security card still said Jane Jones, but no one asked any questions. Then, I moved again the next year, 1982, and again enrolled under Jane Smith. No one asked any questions. I moved again in 1983 and once again, no one said a word. Finally, I told a boy behind me that my real name was Jane Jones. He didn't believe me and told me that if it were true I would write it on my homework. So I did. My mother ended up getting called into a conference to ask why I was using a different name. I got in trouble at home AND at school for using my REAL name!!!

When I think of this story now it is very scary to me. What if a child was out there that was using his/her real name to draw attention and they end up calling the parent/abductor only to get the child into trouble! How crazy! Why wasn't a counselor called in before my parents were notified? This should have raised red flags.

I know it is a lot of pressure, but certain occupations have a responsibility to the community to watch for these types of situations. Teachers, doctors, nurses, even neighbors!

englishleigh
09-18-2004, 09:15 AM
When I saw Bethany's photo, my heart almost stopped b/c she looks very much like one of my daughter's friends. It's NOT her, not at ALL, but at first glance, she looked like her. That's how easy it could be, though...someone knows this little girl and has no idea she is missing from her mother's arms. I pray someone will speak up and get this little girl home.

mysteriew
09-19-2004, 05:56 PM
When I think of this story now it is very scary to me. What if a child was out there that was using his/her real name to draw attention and they end up calling the parent/abductor only to get the child into trouble! How crazy! Why wasn't a counselor called in before my parents were notified? This should have raised red flags.

I know it is a lot of pressure, but certain occupations have a responsibility to the community to watch for these types of situations. Teachers, doctors, nurses, even neighbors!

Back in the 80's things were a lot different. No one realized the extent of kidnappings then. And it was generally felf that most were done by parents, and the school did not want to get involved in custody issues. After all the parent of the child must be caring for the child if they are enrolling them in school right? Now things are different. Schools are a lot different and they are a lot stricter.
But you do have a good point. When a child goes missing, they send out posters to police depts. Why aren't they sending them to schools, groceries, and doctors. Places that the child is possibly going to be?

Kelly
03-04-2005, 02:16 AM
Here is a newer age progression photo by NCMEC. She is beautiful.

Photo Link (http://www.missingkids.com/photographs/NCMC906662e1.jpg)

Today marks another year without her.

Kelly

Cypros
03-04-2005, 09:42 AM
Schools, at least in the 80s did not pay any attention to children being enrolled under wrong names. When I was 5, my mom married a guy with the last name of Smith (changed for obvious reasons). My name had been Jane Jones (again, changed). I went to kindergarten under the name Jane Jones. Then, my mom told me my new name was Jane Smith. I remember learning how to spell it and everything. My stepdad never adopted me.....

Something similar happened to me, only with more name changes. My father died. When my Mom remarried, I was 3 and my sister 5. My mom decided we should all have the same name and we simply took our stepdads name, Lewis.They divorced 5 years later and we went back to our birth name -- for one year. Then she remarried and we took the new stepdads name -- there were never any adoptions or legal changes. During elementary school I went by three different names and no one even blinked! In High School she divorced and I went back to my dad's name. I will NEVER change it again.

Things ARE different now. I doubt (hope!) that people couldn't get away with such name changes now.

WasBlind
03-06-2005, 05:45 PM
The Charley Project (http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/markowski_bethany.html) has some information I had not seen before.

NCMEC profile (http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PubCaseSearchServlet?act=viewChildDetail&caseNum=906662&orgPrefix=NCMC&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchLang=en_US)

Printable poster (http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PubCaseSearchServlet?act=viewPoster&caseNum=906662&orgPrefix=NCMC&searchLang=en_US)

Please print and post in local businesses and anywhere you deem appropriate, and thanks.

With HOPE for Bethany, Lanie

Kelly
05-04-2005, 12:18 AM
Project Jason announces that Bethany Markowski is the current 18 Wheel Angels campaign.

Anyone can participate in placing this poster by going to our website at http://www.projectjason.org/18wheel.html You may download and print the poster and place at local businesses or accessible public places.

Bethany has been missing since March 4, 2001. She was on a visitation with her father at the time. The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children recently completed an age-progression photo of what Bethany may look like now. This photo is included on her 18 Wheel Angel campaign poster.

Bethany is also featured in our publisher partner, JB Scott's April issue of Through the Gears, which can be found at truck stops nationwide.

You can see her on their website http://www.truckjobseekers.com/ Click on the 18 Wheel Angels link.

Thank you for helping us to help Bethany be reunitied with her family!

Kelly Jolkowski, Mother of Missing Jason Jolkowski
President and Founder,
Project Jason
www.projectjason.org

CaliKid
06-03-2005, 06:12 AM
I get the feeling that LE isn't doing enough to find this child. If they are suspicious that the father took her or knows where she is, why aren't they keeping tabs on him? Have they circulated a picture of his new wife to people who supposedly saw the woman and child together to see if it's the same person? More should be done until Bethany is reunited with her mother, and if it's proven the dad had anything to do with her disappearance, he should lose visitation rights.

emma l
06-04-2005, 05:05 PM
I totally agree. This case really bothers me more than others for some reason. Its probably a mixture of things- not least that she really resembles my sister.........But its also the fact that Bethany was seen in the company of a caucasian female months after she went missing who was TRYING TO ENROL HER IN SCHOOL. I have such a gut feeling that Bethany is still alive............... Why would someone who was intending on "disposing" of her enrol her in school? it doesnt make any sense. I hope for Bethanys sake she is found safe and well soon. Please don't let her end up another "sharon marshall/tanya hughes/Suzanne Davies" case...................................

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/markowski_bethany.html

emma l
07-05-2005, 05:03 AM
Bumping for Bethany. Please LOOK AT THE PHOTOS of the child and suspect.
Bethany has been missing since March 4 2001. Its too long.

emma l
09-02-2005, 11:58 AM
Bumping again. Please look at the photos.... she is so beautiful.

SewingDeb
09-03-2005, 01:53 PM
Bumping again. Please look at the photos.... she is so beautiful.

She really is beautiful. She reminds me of one of my daughters, especially the younger pictures. I hope she is found soon and the mystery is solved.

Casshew
09-03-2005, 02:12 PM
Bethany has the most gorgeous eyes!

I can't help but wonder why she has not tried to call home? by 11 years of age you know your phone number. Also if the suspect managed to get bethany enrolled in school somewhere - she would be on her own in school able to speak with teachers,counsellors etc...

KatherineQ
09-03-2005, 05:11 PM
She is beautiful, but she's SO COMMON looking. I saw several posts in this thread where others said hey she looks like . . or why does she look so familiar?

To me, she looks familiar because I know many many girls who look just like her.

That some very oddball type woman tried to enroll a child who looked like this in a school, and then took off, is no indication at all that that was Bethany. It could well have been a girl just like her, traveling with a drunk mother.

It seems like in every case of a missing child, others are reported who look like that child and turn out not to be.

Prayers she is found, the dad's story sounds very fishy to me.

knale
03-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Thinking of Bethany and her family! She has been missing 5 years now!

http://www.newschannel5.com/content/

Mr. E
03-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Wow. She looks just like one of my students. I'm sure it's nothing, but wow. I will check her records (she's a new student who enrolled after Christmas break) because when I saw the age progression I was struck by how much she looks like my student.

WholeLottaRosie
03-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Please keep us posted!

Mr. E
03-06-2006, 08:55 PM
I talked to my student today, just asked her where she was from and why she moved here. She told me her step-daddy is the "bossman" (sometimes Southern kids are so cute -- using words like bossman when they're 16 years old) of a company and got transferred here. I'll check her school records tomorrow. I'm sure she's just an uncanny lookalike. It just blows my mind how much they look alike. However, one big difference is that my student's eyes are more blue than green.

Mr. E
03-07-2006, 12:12 PM
I looked more closely at my student, and her eyes ARE green. So she looks a lot like Bethany. However, her birthdate is different: May 8, 1989 as opposed to Bethany's Feb. 1, 1990. I also have her SS# and her mother's name, although I wouldn't know what to do with that information.

I've got to say this, though. My student does not act like you would expect an abducted kid to act. She's very normal -- giggly and happy and surrounded by friends. Maybe Bethany just has one of those faces that is familiar. But if anybody has any idea as to what I could do with the information I have, let me know.

Kelly
03-07-2006, 03:00 PM
You would notify the LE in charge of her case.

crypto6
03-19-2006, 02:37 PM
You would notify the LE in charge of her case.

Let's see: You've got confidential information through your privileged position as a teacher, with not even a gut feeling there is anything wrong, and a tiny, hardly believable chance this student may be Bethany. Hmmmm.
I would much rather see this handled locally and delicately so as to not get the student and parents angry at you and the school. Why not continue to do what Mr. E is doing? The student is happy, he's in a position to observe, and there's little downside. You can go through the school's LE liaison and let them get some more info for you or help you with a plan of action, rather than involving (presumably) another state's LE. I know of and respect your situation, and would nevertheless be mighty angry if someone came to my door demanding that I prove my child was mine. Imagine the trauma to the child of cops coming and harassing her daddy and questioning whether he was her father. Imagine the Gestapo role this puts LE in. I'll close my rant with this:

"The makers of the Constitution sought to protect Americans in their beliefs, their thoughts, their emotions and their sensations. They conferred the right to be left alone -- the most comprehensive of the rights of man and the right most valued by civilized men."

-- U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis (1928)

Crypto6

Trino
03-19-2006, 04:42 PM
I can tell many of you don't understand school enrollment. Public city (and perhaps others) schools enroll students who have a parent with them - no records required. The "parent" certifies the student's age and grade. Counselors check, but often the student wasn't at the previous school long enough to verify anything. Tracing is often not possible. A counselor calls in a kid to verify; he says his info is correct; you can't throw a kid out. Laws say he is entitled to be in school. It's the school's problem where to place him/her. How do you think kids of illegals are getting an education?

City schools have kids who are here today, gone tomorrow. Quite frankly, if a parent does not wish to enroll a student in school, it's easy to do this, too. I had two students who enrolled in mid-October/early November - had not been to school in the previous states where they were living. If they live/lived at a shelter, you may as well forget trying to verify anything.

Many of my inner city students change names on their papers at a whim. (I still have registered names on my online attendance.) Why do they do this? They're now living with Auntie, so they take her name, or they're living with another family, so they take their last name. Or, if they're of a certain culture, it's an accepted thing.

Education is not what it used to be.

PonderingThings
03-19-2006, 04:59 PM
I looked more closely at my student, and her eyes ARE green. So she looks a lot like Bethany. However, her birthdate is different: May 8, 1989 as opposed to Bethany's Feb. 1, 1990. I also have her SS# and her mother's name, although I wouldn't know what to do with that information.

I've got to say this, though. My student does not act like you would expect an abducted kid to act. She's very normal -- giggly and happy and surrounded by friends. Maybe Bethany just has one of those faces that is familiar. But if anybody has any idea as to what I could do with the information I have, let me know.
The Missing and Exploited Kids group did a test and posted a monster size photo of a "missing" kid in a park, beside a map. They took note of the people who looked at the map, then had the "missing" girl walk by them a few times.

The "missing" girl acted normally. Not one of the adults said they recognised her - although many admitted they had looked at the poster really well. The primairy reason was that she didn't "act" like she had been abducted. Only a 8 yr old boy recognised her - and his mother didn't believe him.

I can understand, because you are a teacher, that it might put you in a jam to call in LE.

At the very least couldn't you take a photo of the class, making sure to get a good shot of this girl, write the school address on the back of the photo, put it in an envelope along with the poster of Bethany, and mail it to NCMEC?

They are the experts. If the inquiry comes from them, frequently it happens in a private manner and people aren't even aware of the inquiry.

Would this work?

PonderingThings
03-19-2006, 05:13 PM
This was the test - it was put on by a news show not the NCMEC (but they mentioned the organisation so my memory got mixed up)

http://www.10news.com/news/7592453/detail.html

EXCERPT

"This is what you want to look for -- something distinct and personal to that particular person," said private investigator Dennis Bammann.

Bammann is paid to pay attention to the details. He helped 10News in a test on the powers of observation.

Gerren Hall and Portia Reinhltz are young models from the John Robert Powers Modeling Agency. With their parents' cooperation, 10News put their faces on fliers, posting them in plain sight, and Hall's mom helped by passing them out.

They wandered around the park and were over and over again ignored and missed. Hall's poster-sized picture was almost as big as a map directory. Everybody saw the map, but not Hall.

After receiving the flier, one mother gave her son a kiss.Another mother did see Hall."If I had believed it was him, then I would have definitely called," said the mother.

10News photographer: "What if I tell you that was him?

""Oh my God, are you serious?" said the mom.

Reinhltz was found more quickly.A couple had seen her walking around. Even after seeing the flier, they didn't make the connection."Oh my God, I thought we were looking, and we weren't looking," said Laura Macias.

"When you point it out now, it clicks. I should have noticed. We should have noticed," said Jose Becerra.But the one thing you may never notice is abuducted children acting as if they've been abducted."

According to the 2004 stats, there were 51 stranger abductions in California and over 2,000 family abductions," said Deputy District Attorney Stacey McReynolds.McReynolds said even if you're not sure, make a call to alert the police."The phone call is critical.

It's a win-win. If you call and the child is found, then you're doing something good. And if they're not found, at least (police) have an area to look in," said Bammann.

After two long hours, Hall was finally found by 8-year-old Max Suchman."Then I told my mom, and she said, 'No, it couldn't be,' and then I said, 'No, it's him,'" said Suchman.

But Hall's dad is concerned. Why did it take so long?"It makes you wonder, are we really looking? Do we really look? I'm going to be more on point because I can see what can happen and what does happen," said Edward Hall.

To learn more about helping missing and exploited children, go to www.MissingKids.com. (http://www.missingkids.com/) Copyright 2006 by 10News.com (webstaff@10news.com).

dannyodie
03-20-2006, 08:36 AM
The Missing and Exploited Kids group did a test and posted a monster size photo of a "missing" kid in a park, beside a map. They took note of the people who looked at the map, then had the "missing" girl walk by them a few times.

The "missing" girl acted normally. Not one of the adults said they recognised her - although many admitted they had looked at the poster really well. The primairy reason was that she didn't "act" like she had been abducted. Only a 8 yr old boy recognised her - and his mother didn't believe him.

I can understand, because you are a teacher, that it might put you in a jam to call in LE.

At the very least couldn't you take a photo of the class, making sure to get a good shot of this girl, write the school address on the back of the photo, put it in an envelope along with the poster of Bethany, and mail it to NCMEC?

They are the experts. If the inquiry comes from them, frequently it happens in a private manner and people aren't even aware of the inquiry.

Would this work?
MR. E, LIKE SO MANY OF US ARE INDICATING, JUST TAKE A CLASS PICTURE AND CIRCLE THE ONE THAT LOOKS LIKE BETHANY LIKE PONDERING THINGS MENTIONED. SEND IT TO THE NATIONAL CENTER FOR MISSING AND EXPLOITED CHILDREN AND LET THEM DECIDE. PEOPLE THAT ABDUCT AND KEEP KIDS WILL ALMOST ALWAYS MAKE CHANGES TO WHAT THEIR BIRTHDATE IS AND APPLYING FOR SSN IS SOMETHING THAT CAN BE DONE WITH A FAKE BIRTH DOCUMENT. PEOPLE THAT ABDUCT KNOW HOW TO MAKE CHANGES AND THE ABDUCTED KID EVENTUALLY IS COMPLIANT TO THE ABDUCTOR . MAYBE THIS STUDENT IS A LOOK ALIKE, I RECENTLY FOUND A PHOTO OF A GIRL THAT LOOKED JUST LIKE HER, I TOOK THE ACTION THAT WAS NEEDED AND FOUND OUT THAT IT WAS NOT HER, BUT JUST DOING THAT MADE ME FEEL GOOD THAT AT LEAST I WAS PROVIDING A POSSIBLE TIP AND LEAD EVEN IF IT DIDN'T GO ANYWHERE. IF YOU TAKE NO ACTION AND YRS LATER YOU DISCOVER THAT THIS WAS HER AND SHE IS LONG GONE, YOU WILL BADGER YOURSELF AS TO WHY YOU DIDN'T ACT ON YOUR UNCERTAINTY OF THE LOOK ALIKE. IF IT IS HER YOU WILL GIVE A MOTHER BACK A CHILD SHE HAS MISSED FOR SO MANY YEARS, AND CLOSE A WOUND IN HER HEART. GOD BLESS YOU FOR TAKING NOTICE OF MISSING CHILDREN, THE WORLD NEEDS MORE CARING HEARTS SUCH AS YOURS.

strach304
03-20-2006, 01:41 PM
Thanks for posting that story Ponder, I also sent it on to my daughter because she likes to keep up with stuff like that. Bethany looks like a friend of my other daughters from a long time ago so I do have to agree with the other poster who suggested she has a common look but to be sure I'd at least send a tip anonymously to have authorities check it out. I don't think her parents would be upset about an inquiry if their daughter looks like a missing child, it's understandable and even reassuring when LE checks all possibilities.

sailorgirl
03-20-2006, 09:57 PM
The mall in Jackson is very small. You can walk it easily in 10 minutes. When Bethany dissapeared, Jackson was a much smaller town than it is today with a lot less traffic in the mall. I agree, that she was not abducted by a stranger, but by a family member.

Beyond Belief
03-20-2006, 10:35 PM
I think the Missing Organization should be contacted at once. They can send a family member to view the child in question without her even being aware she is being viewed. Then the child will never be aware of what is happening. Maybe with some luck its her.

Bobbisangel
03-20-2006, 11:47 PM
Where was the school that someone tried to enroll Bethany into? What town and state?

The dad said that they had been on a trip to Arkansas. I wonder if he has friends or relatives there that he might have left Bethany with? Had there been problems with custody or visitation between the parents? If Bethany is with a relative maybe that is where she wants to be. I wonder what her relationship with her mom was like.

That would really be something if the girl in the teacher's room turned out to be Bethany. If she is content being with whoever she is with she would act just like the other kids. Her birthdate may have been changed on her school paperwork for the purpose of not being connected to Bethany.

Mr. E
03-31-2006, 04:42 PM
The student I mentioned has now been cleared by the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation. They are satisfied it is not her. I won't go into all the details, but I wanted to say that I did report it and it was investigated.

PonderingThings
03-31-2006, 05:51 PM
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/images/smilies/woohoo.gif

Mr. E. it may not have been her, but in my book you are a hero!

THANK YOU for reporting it!

Mr. E
03-31-2006, 09:40 PM
Thank you! It was the weirdest experience. I was hesitant to say anything, but now I'm glad I did. It was close. It's still weird because of the similarities in looks and discrepencies in my student's records. As soon as the TBI became involved, I was really weirded out.

turbosleuthing
03-31-2006, 11:19 PM
Thank you! It was the weirdest experience. I was hesitant to say anything, but now I'm glad I did. It was close. It's still weird because of the similarities in looks and discrepencies in my student's records. As soon as the TBI became involved, I was really weirded out.

:clap: I just wanted to say that I find it incredibly awesome that you took the chance, and pursued this look alike student.

It's people like you who make a difference. :clap:

jonie
12-09-2006, 06:55 PM
Hello everyone,

My name is Jonnie and Bethany Markowski is my daughter.First I would like to thank you for all taking an intrest in our case.A special thank you to the person that was not scared to get involved when she thought that Bethany was one of her students.I remember when the TBI called and told me that they were investigating that lead.It is a comforting feeling knowing that going on 6 years of missing people are still calling in leads.I can not ever thank you enough for helping me keep Bethany alive.Thank you for your prayers and yes,I to thank Bethany is beautiful..All children are.

Jonnie, Bethany's mom

teonspaleprincess
12-09-2006, 09:00 PM
I can tell many of you don't understand school enrollment. Public city (and perhaps others) schools enroll students who have a parent with them - no records required. The "parent" certifies the student's age and grade. Counselors check, but often the student wasn't at the previous school long enough to verify anything. Tracing is often not possible. A counselor calls in a kid to verify; he says his info is correct; you can't throw a kid out. Laws say he is entitled to be in school. It's the school's problem where to place him/her. How do you think kids of illegals are getting an education?

City schools have kids who are here today, gone tomorrow. Quite frankly, if a parent does not wish to enroll a student in school, it's easy to do this, too. I had two students who enrolled in mid-October/early November - had not been to school in the previous states where they were living. If they live/lived at a shelter, you may as well forget trying to verify anything.

Many of my inner city students change names on their papers at a whim. (I still have registered names on my online attendance.) Why do they do this? They're now living with Auntie, so they take her name, or they're living with another family, so they take their last name. Or, if they're of a certain culture, it's an accepted thing.

Education is not what it used to be.
I dont know what system you work for, but it is NOT like that here. I just recently enrolled my kids in a new school and I had to show birth certificates, shotrecords, social security cards for me and them, and since my boyfriend is not thier dad, he had to get a notary to sign a statement from him saying that we lived in the house and that all information submitted was true. Then when I could not find my oldest sons shot records, they kicked him out of school for a week until I could track them down.

Juliana
12-09-2006, 09:50 PM
Hello everyone,

My name is Jonnie and Bethany Markowski is my daughter.First I would like to thank you for all taking an intrest in our case.A special thank you to the person that was not scared to get involved when she thought that Bethany was one of her students.I remember when the TBI called and told me that they were investigating that lead.It is a comforting feeling knowing that going on 6 years of missing people are still calling in leads.I can not ever thank you enough for helping me keep Bethany alive.Thank you for your prayers and yes,I to thank Bethany is beautiful..All children are.

Jonnie, Bethany's mom

Thank you for posting! Please know that you and Bethany are in my thoughts and prayers and I pray that you will be reunited one day.

Lisahas2cats
12-09-2006, 10:15 PM
Hello everyone,

Jonnie, Bethany's mom
I'd not heard of your Bethany's case until reading this thread, which is insane since she was apparently featured on a network local to my area (according to the OP). Here's hoping she comes home to you soon.

Hugs,
Lisa

missacorah
12-10-2006, 05:48 PM
I was delighted to see this case being discussed again as i remember reading up on it and praying Bethanie would return someday!

Bobbisangel
12-10-2006, 10:23 PM
This case is such a mystery. Where was Bethany seen with this lady...what town and state...anyone know? It's odd that she disappeared while on a visitation with her dad. I wonder if there had ever been fighting about custody? I also wonder how well the mom and dad got along after the divorce.

If there had been no fight over custody and the mom and dad were able to remain on friendly terms then it doesn't sound like the dad would have had Bethany abducted by anyone. If there were problems then the dad may have decided not to return Bethany.

It's odd that she has never contacted anyone as she was 11 yrs when she disappeared. Old enough to pick up a phone at the first opportunity. Has anyone heard of kids 11 yrs and up being abducted by strangers and the stranger keeping them to raise? It just seems odd to me because the cases that I've read about the victims were way younger.

I wish that Bethany would call her mom and at least let her know that she is alright even if she wants to live with whoever she is with...a relative or someone that she knew. As old as she is now she has to know that her mom is worried about her and misses her unless they didn't have a good relationship and Bethany just doesn't want to make contact. A real puzzle.

emma l
12-11-2006, 06:19 AM
Hello everyone,

Jonnie, Bethany's mom

Thankyou for posting. I think about Bethany all the time. I hope she comes home safe to you.

Rle7
08-25-2007, 05:35 PM
The nights torment Jonnie Carter. Instead of sleeping, she thinks about her daughter, Bethany Leanne Markowski, who has been missing for more than six years.

Carter spends her nights thinking about what else could be done to find her daughter. She thinks about what Bethany might be doing.

"You get to thinking, ‘It's 100 degrees outside. I wonder if she is somewhere cool.’ Or, ‘It's cold outside. I wonder if she is somewhere warm.’ So, it's not good," Carter said.

http://www.jacksonsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070825/NEWS01/70825008

Taximom
08-25-2007, 05:41 PM
I've been looking at pics too long. Bethany reminded me of someone and I finally figured it was another missing young lady: Bianca Piper

http://www.findbianca.org/

Guess that's not a match. Darn memory.

Mr. E, nice job. I'm currently holding my breath over two that I emailed LE about. I'm kind of hopeful, kind of nervous!

Rle7
08-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Bethany was 11 when she disappeared on March 4, 2001. She had spent the weekend with her father, Larry Markowski, in Little Rock, Ark. Larry Markowski was to meet Carter, his ex-wife, at an Interstate 40 truck stop to return Bethany to her. He told authorities he stopped at Old Hickory Mall to rest and allowed Bethany to go inside by herself. She never came back.

Carter said in a phone interview last week that her daughter's disappearance has had a dramatic effect on her life.

"My whole life, my attitude, my emotions, everything just changed," Carter said. "I went from having a semi-decent life and getting plenty of sleep, to sleeping about three hours on the average a night. I pay attention to all of the missing children posters."

"I'm always online trying to find a new Web site to put Bethany on," she said. "It's my life. Bethany missing is my life."

Carter said she usually is able to maintain hope that Bethany is alive. She also has faith in law enforcement and members of the public, who still call in tips when they see Bethany's picture.

"The one thing about it is, it's been six years, almost seven, and there have been days that I have woke up and thought, 'There's no way. Bethany's 17. She's been gone six years. There's no way she could be alive and not look for me.' But that's hardly ever happened," Carter said.

http://www.jacksonsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070826/NEWS01/708260308

emma l
11-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Bumping for Bethany and wondering whether Bethanys mom still posts here.

thefragile7393
12-08-2007, 05:18 PM
I honestly feel this girl is alive somewhere. I'm betting she's likely homeschooled now, after the ickiness of trying to get her enrolled in a public school. But where..and how to start looking?

Littledeer
12-10-2007, 07:01 AM
TaxiMom:

You posted on 8/26/07:

snip...

Mr. E, nice job. I'm currently holding my breath over two that I emailed LE about. I'm kind of hopeful, kind of nervous! snip...

Did you ever find out what happened to your tips?? Were they investigated by someone?

Mr. E
12-10-2007, 11:00 AM
This new age-progressed pic
http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PubCaseSearchServlet?act=viewChildDetail&LanguageCountry=en_US&searchLang=en_US&caseLang=en_US&orgPrefix=NCMC&caseNum=906662&seqNum=1

does not look as much like my former student (who moved away, moved back, then graduated...her educational background was kind of sketchy, if I recall) as the previous age-progressed picture. I don't know if I would have said anything with the new picture. There's a resemblance, but the old one was spot on. In fact, when a counselor looked at the age-progressed pic of Bethany, her remark was something along the lines of "Oh, my God, that's [student's name]."

Did they change the pic because the old pic looked like this girl who isn't Bethany? Or is this just another age-progression? I wonder...

dee10134
12-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Has anyone tried checking Myspace??? Bethany shares her birthday with my daughter, February 1, which would make her an Aquarius.

There is a 16 year old Beth Markowski in Sodus, New York. Last login Nov. 2005...

Second profile: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=51217783
Last login Jan. 2006.

I wonder if she had family in New York state?

Possibles within 100 miles of Chattanooga, TN:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=7815532

Center girl??? http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=10022925

Possibles within 100 miles of Jackson, TN:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=14141935

I didn't get through all of them, but I'm working on it...

Edited to add, I don't think they would have changed her first name. It may have been difficult for her to remember to answer by. I think they may have changed her LAST name, but not the first name. I honestly believe this girl is alive and hopefully we can find her ASAP!

Littledeer
12-12-2007, 08:34 PM
dee:

I don't know anything about "myspace", but I did click on the link that you marked "Second Profile" and the one marked "Center Girl". They both went to the same myspace page????

Could you educate me a little bit here? Also, if you think that one might be Bethany, are you computer literate enough to put Beth's picture from the original picture, to the age progressed picture and any pic you are seeing now that MIGHT be Bethany from the myspace accounts that you are looking at??

If this is a stupid question, just ignore.

WholeLottaRosie
03-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Bumping up. Bethany has been missing now for 8 years.

Thinaire
03-06-2010, 06:10 AM
bumping again.....there was a post on Facebook by a friend of one my friends on this case.

There was another pleas by the mother and old footage shown of the interview of the father 3 days after Bethany disappeared.

JennaBelle
06-04-2010, 02:12 PM
I believe this is the profile for the woman Bethany's father, Larry Markowski, married.

http://www.facebook.com/friends/?id=100000911691560#!/profile.php?id=100000911691560

She says in her profile she has has a 17 year-old daughter. Now, if she is anything like me she wrote her profile when she created her Facebook page (however long ago that was) and has not updated it since - which would account for the age discrepancy since Bethany is now 20. She also kinda does look like the images of the suspect in the case....

Anyhow, just some thoughts. I definitely think she is alive... but where? Probably with her dad and stepmom. Why hasn't she been found yet?

ilovemew
06-20-2010, 07:13 PM
I believe this is the profile for the woman Bethany's father, Larry Markowski, married.

http://www.facebook.com/friends/?id=100000911691560#!/profile.php?id=100000911691560

She says in her profile she has has a 17 year-old daughter. Now, if she is anything like me she wrote her profile when she created her Facebook page (however long ago that was) and has not updated it since - which would account for the age discrepancy since Bethany is now 20. She also kinda does look like the images of the suspect in the case....

Anyhow, just some thoughts. I definitely think she is alive... but where? Probably with her dad and stepmom. Why hasn't she been found yet?

Wow, she does look like the sketch. But could the dad and step-mom have Bethany all this time and nobody notice? LE investigated the family. Hmmm?? :waitasec:

amber1
08-06-2010, 03:40 PM
I also think bethany is still out there, mainly because the woman who took her tried entering her into school.
It's rare that a girl of her age would stay with her captor, but sometimes victims-like Jaycee Dugard-become attached to their captors and turn down chances for escape. Perhaps that's what this is?

tabacue
08-06-2010, 04:12 PM
I visited the FB page. You can read the wall and it looks like she hasn't been on Facebook long. I would definitely continue to watch it and the addition of friends. It is very sad to say that I think it is entirely possible she could have been with her dad, but there is no way LE is going to actively look for every missing person. Even with regular LE visits, Jaycee fell through the cracks. It could very well be that someone close to the family kept her until the "coast was clear". She could have been told that her mom didn't want her or who knows what.

It would be great to make a FB page for Bethany. I wish her mom were still posting here....maybe we could e-mail her.

ioiwtb
08-28-2010, 03:36 PM
I looked at the facebook link and the first thing I noticed is she states they have been married for 9 years & even gives the anniversary date of July 12, 2001. Assuming this is "the" couple, who in the world would actually get married when their kid has been missing for only 3 months!?!? Getting married would be the last thing on my mind at a time like that. Anyways, given the fact the "9 years" is accurately stated on her account, I believe the rest of her profile is up-to-date.

By the way, she has a myspace account too.
http://www.myspace.com/316979394

I came across a sketch of the female Bethany was spotted with.. I wonder how accurate it really is.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ncmissingpersons.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Bethany-Leanne-Markowski9.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ncmissingpersons.org/bethany-markowski/&usg=__b1v1KQ0rQZABh5CcZCSwTuhXLoY=&h=582&w=510&sz=62&hl=en&start=5&zoom=1&itbs=1&tbnid=Nx6ukj9jlzIw3M:&tbnh=134&tbnw=117&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbethany%2Bmarkowski%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3 D2%26tbs%3Disch:1

ioiwtb
08-28-2010, 04:01 PM
Wow, she does look like the sketch. But could the dad and step-mom have Bethany all this time and nobody notice? LE investigated the family. Hmmm?? :waitasec:

The sketch and description I came across put the female in her 40's. The FB lady is supposely 33 (according to facebook and myspace) now and would have put her around 24ish (depending on birthdate) at the time of Bethany's disappearance.

Has anyone come across any photos of Larry?

ilovemew
08-28-2010, 11:04 PM
Bethany was spotted in April 2001 in southeast Tennessee with an unknown female.

Wanted for Questioning-Markowski case
Height: 5’4″-5’5″
Weight: 185 lbs.
Hair Color: Dirty Blonde
Eye Color: Dark
Race: White
Distinguishing Characteristics: Dark circles around eyes.
Other: Witnesses say her hair was clean but frizzy and
damaged. She did not look bathed, had torn and incorrectly tied shoes.
She appeared to be suffering from a hangover

BBM: Could this person have been a drifter or homeless and was paid by someone to try to enroll Bethany in school? Don't know if that's been brought up before... apologies if it has.

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed
04-04-2011, 03:01 PM
After 10 years, search for Bethany continues: Family still waits for answers after girl, 11, disappeared in '01

Ten years of uncertainty hasn’t eased the emotion or efforts of a mother whose daughter was reported missing from Jackson in 2001.

A candlelight vigil to honor Tennessee’s missing children was held on March 4, which was the 10-year anniversary since 11-year-old Bethany Markowski was reported missing from Old Hickory Mall. Thirty billboards have been put up across the state with Markowski’s picture as an 11-year-old and a sketch of what she’d look like now.

Her mother, Jonnie Carter, undergoes a pendulum swing of feelings as she still seeks out what happened to her daughter.

More: http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/20110404/NEWS01/110404011

Patience
05-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Bumping for Bethany, hope you are found soon.

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/bethany-leanne-markowski/view
Bethany Markowski was last seen by her father in the parking lot of the Old Hickory Shopping Mall in Jackson, Tennessee, on the afternoon of March 4, 2001. Bethany had gone into the mall alone while her father waited for her in the car. After approximately two hours passed, Bethany's father went into the mall to look for his daughter, but was unable to locate her.

REWARD

The FBI is offering a reward of up to $10,000 for information leading to the recovery of Bethany Markowski and the identification, arrest, and conviction of the person responsible for her disappearance.

If you have any information concerning this person, please contact your local FBI office (http://www.fbi.gov/contact-us) or the nearest American Embassy or Consulate. (http://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/legat)

amber1
03-05-2012, 02:13 AM
this case always bothered me because i have always felt she was alive, i want so bad for her family to see her again, any infor on if the dad was interviewed? was there evidence of them at the mall?

Tristan
12-09-2013, 06:48 AM
I just read about this case and it is SO bizarre!

I can't imagine a woman abducting an 11 year old....but that seems like the most logical answer.

Plombage
12-16-2013, 06:19 PM
Just read about this case for the fisrt time today and when I saw the sketch it reminded me of Wanda Barzee. She is the women who helped kidnapped Elizabeth Smart.

summer_breeze
02-02-2014, 07:26 AM
http://www.wbbjtv.com/news/local/Family-Celebrates-Missing-Girls-24th-Birthday-243149981.html

By Brittany Nicholson
Story Created: Feb 1, 2014 at 10:27 PM CST
Story Updated: Feb 1, 2014 at 11:29 PM CST

WEAKLEY COUNTY, Tenn. -- Questions are still unanswered after 13 years. Bethany Markowski is still missing.

amber1
02-05-2014, 02:52 PM
Think about this girl all the time. If the sightings are accurate about the older woman (who tried to enroll her in a school), I think it's possible she took Bethany to be her own. Why her? I have no idea, usually people wanting children will target an infant or a younger child instead of a pre-teen. Maybe there was also a man involved. I have always held hope this girl is still alive & just in a captive situation like the girls in Cleveland.

MagnoliaMountain
02-06-2014, 07:00 AM
I think it's definitely possible that the woman could have lured her into something like a Jaycee Lee Dugard situation with a man in the background.