View Full Version : Separate inquest called for Highway of Tears
02-17-2011, 09:42 PM
Separate inquest called for Highway of Tears
Published: February 16, 2011 6:00 AM
Arthur Williams/Prince George Free Press
Family members of women missing or murdered along the Highway of Tears called on Missing Women Commission of Inquiry commissioner Wally Oppal for a separate inquiry.
Oppal was in Prince George on Friday for an informal, pre-inquiry public forum. Family members and aboriginal leaders said disappearances and murders of women in the North took place under very different circumstances than the women missing from Vancouver's Downtown Eastside and convicted serial killer Robert Pickton's victims.
Brenda Wilson said she the murder of her sister, Ramona Wilson, in 1994 should be grouped with Pickton's victims.
"The majority of the girls that went missing on the Highway of Tears are, in fact, girls — not grown women," Wilson said. "They have answers. They have a killer behind bars. We have no answers in these cases."
03-01-2011, 11:32 PM
whyaduck, thank you so much for posting all this info on these missing girls, it is very helpful and they deserve the attention.
rcmp needs to change their racist attitudes towards first nation women, it is so sad.
the canadian govt should put funds towards transportation for young women who need to travel hwy 16, be it a bus or even a big van to keep these girls safe. they should put emergency call boxes along hwy 16 also.
i truly believe these cases are solvable, it's just odd to be that the rcmp doesn't seem to care.
03-03-2011, 06:24 PM
OTTAWA—A national database that is supposed to coordinate law enforcement investigations into missing aboriginal women across the country won’t be ready until 2013.
Despite the Conservative government calling it a “pressing” criminal justice priority in the Throne Speech last year, the RCMP says the database will not be up and running until “early 2013.”
When it is complete, the database will not be solely dedicated to missing and murdered native women but is instead designed to be a missing persons’ database. It may not even collect information that identifies victims by their aboriginal identity.
04-06-2011, 08:57 AM
Chipman family wants Highway of Tears inquiry
But Gladys Radek, whose niece, Tamara Chipman, is one of the Highway of Tears victims, said a study is simply not enough.
She said a formal inquiry is justified for the Highway of Tears just as it is for the Downtown Eastside in order to examine the police investigations conducted here in the north.
“I haven’t seen any resolve or cases solved since Tamara’s gone missing. I haven’t seen any answers. And that’s since 2005, and there hasn’t been any movement on any of those 18 victims,” said Radek.
“The underlying message here is: maybe we’re dealing with another serial killer. But in that respect, I think that until you can prove to me there’s only one man that killed all those women up there, there is (actually) 18 killers out there.”
04-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Mandate for missing women panel disappoints
VANCOUVER— From Tuesday's Globe and Mail
Published Monday, Mar. 28, 2011 4:46PM EDT
Last updated Tuesday, Mar. 29, 2011 12:07AM EDT
A new mandate for the Missing Women Commission falls far short of what families, advocates and friends of missing and murdered women in northern B.C. had hoped for, a prominent native spokesman says.
“We were looking for a full inquiry into the highway of tears, a separate inquiry,” Terry Teegee, vice-tribal chief of the Carrier Sekani Tribal Council, said Monday in an interview.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.