PDA

View Full Version : 'Barefoot Contessa' taking heat for repeatedly rejecting 'Make-A-Wish' cancer patient

tehcloser
03-26-2011, 07:29 PM
The boy, who would watch Garten from his sick bed, told the Make-A-Wish Foundation that he wanted to meet the Food Network celebrity. When told that her schedule was too busy, Enzo opted to wait. When the request was made once more, Garten's representatives replied with a "definite no," according to the online blog that the family kept about the boy's illness.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dailydish/2011/03/barefoot-contessa-ina-garten-rejecting-make-a-wish-cancer-patient-enzo.html

:banghead: :loser: :banghead:

I hope she soon gets a karma casserole......

pghbrandi
03-26-2011, 08:08 PM
:snooty: I can't believe she would say no to this little boy. Everyone should make time for a child. She can do that $100.000 "charity" dinner but not make a meal for a child....:loser: The public is who makes these people famous, no matter how old. She should be there for this little boy.

Quiche
03-26-2011, 08:12 PM
Bah! Not good on you, barefoot lady! :loser::loser::loser:

(swimming with the dolphins sounds wonderful...)

angelmom
03-26-2011, 08:27 PM
an interesting take on it:

http://ifrymineinbutter.com/2011/03/26/this-is-why-we-cant-have-nice-things-the-people-vs-barefoot-contessa/

There are two things that immediately jump out at me:

1) Who leaked the story to TMZ?
2) Why did Make-A-Wish substantiate it?

For those who don’t watch The Food Network, one of its cherished stars Ina Garten – a.k.a. The Barefoot Contessa, whose cooking show is a snotty blend of cliquishness and bland New England lockjaw inspired cuisine, allegedly denied a request for a “dying” boy – who by the way is sick, but not dying as the article purported – to cook a meal together. Those are the only “facts” you’ll find contained in any report of the alleged event.

reportertype
03-26-2011, 08:47 PM
I will probably get skinned alive for this but I don't get where the extreme ire is coming from. I never watch cooking shows so I'm not familiar with this woman, but I don't see where she has any obligation to meet with anyone. It would be nice if she made some gesture, however, and I have a feeling she will now that this has gone viral.

I have no doubt that celebrities turn down requests like this all of the time. I read part of the mother's blog about this and I'm a bit irritated that she seems to think anyone would drop everything to meet with her son. I wonder if the mother is where tmz got this story.

I guess to sum it up, I'm not down with the guilt trip being laid on somebody to satisfy somebody's else's wish or, in this case, demand.

WhyaDuck?
03-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Not everyone is good at being around sick people. Maybe she is busy, or maybe she can't handle the idea of being a dying child's "last wish." I don't know - I'd have to know more before I condemn her for this. Just MOO.

eileenhawkeye
03-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Apparently, the child has been waiting over a year to meet her. Even if her schedule is so busy that she can't take one day off, she could have the child on her TV Show or just have him follow her around for the day.

Quiche
03-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Right, but she signed up for it, am I right? She does this for children and adults-- works closely with the organization. So... maybe she's picky?

eta: Quote: A representative for Garten told the site: "Despite her demanding schedule, [Ina] participates and helps as many organizations as she can throughout the year, helping children and adults like Enzo with life threatening and compromising illnesses. ... Unfortunately, as much as she would like to, it's absolutely impossible for her to grant every request she receives."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dailydish/2011/03/barefoot-contessa-ina-garten-rejecting-make-a-wish-cancer-patient-enzo.html

believe09
03-26-2011, 11:52 PM
We have another part of the same story here:

Make A Wish child is spoiled for choice - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Nova
03-27-2011, 12:29 AM
Apparently, the child has been waiting over a year to meet her. Even if her schedule is so busy that she can't take one day off, she could have the child on her TV Show or just have him follow her around for the day.

But if the child isn't terminal, couldn't the meeting be scheduled for some day in the future? I don't understand the reporting on this.

I will say that a close friend of mine provided the voice for a well-known Disney heroine. She gets requests from Make a Wish and similar organizations all the time, usually to phone the child so the kid can pretend s/he is talking to the character. Talking to terminal children practically kills her, but she has never turned down a request--even though once or twice she has a phoned a child only to discover the kid died just an hour or two before the call went through.

jjenny
03-27-2011, 12:49 AM
an interesting take on it:

http://ifrymineinbutter.com/2011/03/26/this-is-why-we-cant-have-nice-things-the-people-vs-barefoot-contessa/

There are two things that immediately jump out at me:

1) Who leaked the story to TMZ?
2) Why did Make-A-Wish substantiate it?

For those who don’t watch The Food Network, one of its cherished stars Ina Garten – a.k.a. The Barefoot Contessa, whose cooking show is a snotty blend of cliquishness and bland New England lockjaw inspired cuisine, allegedly denied a request for a “dying” boy – who by the way is sick, but not dying as the article purported – to cook a meal together. Those are the only “facts” you’ll find contained in any report of the alleged event.

Of course she isn't obligated to meet anyone, but I fail to see why it is impossible for her to meet a sick child who waited a really long time.

Kat
03-27-2011, 01:23 AM
How come we are only seeing this reported in blogs?

I think I might have seen one entry that was in an online newspaper. I'm wondering how accurate this report is if we are only seeing it in blogs and the originating reporting entity was TMZ? I'm not so sure we can trust TMZ as a source?

Disclaimer: I'm not being snarky. I'm never snarky when I post here. I'm never sarcastic either and where this post lands is totally random to other points of view on this thread. LOL.

STEADFAST
03-27-2011, 01:45 AM
That's weird. All this time, I thought The Barefoot Contessa was that very pretty woman who has an Italian Cooking show.

Kat
03-27-2011, 01:57 AM
I thought that too Steadfast. I think you are talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giada_De_Laurentiis ?

That's how I thought of when I heard the barefoot contessa and then I actually watched one show (probably the only show) and realized that they were two different people.

STEADFAST
03-27-2011, 02:06 AM
I thought that too Steadfast. I think you are talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giada_De_Laurentiis ?

That's how I thought of when I heard the barefoot contessa and then I actually watched one show (probably the only show) and realized that they were two different people.
Yes! Thank you. That's exactly who I thought it was. I saw the real Barefoot Contessa at one of the links on here, and I've never seen that woman before in my life.
I bet Giada De Laurentiis would be willing to do something nice for a child with cancer.

eileenhawkeye
03-27-2011, 02:47 AM
But if the child isn't terminal, couldn't the meeting be scheduled for some day in the future? I don't understand the reporting on this.

I will say that a close friend of mine provided the voice for a well-known Disney heroine. She gets requests from Make a Wish and similar organizations all the time, usually to phone the child so the kid can pretend s/he is talking to the character. Talking to terminal children practically kills her, but she has never turned down a request--even though once or twice she has a phoned a child only to discover the kid died just an hour or two before the call went through.

The child does have a terminal illness. You have to have a terminal illness to get a wish granted by the Make a Wish foundation. The child asked to meet her, she said she was busy, so the child say he would wait, and then she turned him down, a year later.

I can see why a Disney character would be popular but I highly doubt there are that many sick children who want to meet Ina Garten since she really isn't marketed towards children.

OT: What Disney character did your friend voice?

belimom
03-27-2011, 08:52 AM
Honestly? My mom loves to watch Barefoot Contessa, but I can't really stand it. The food looks great, but she seems kinda snooty to me so this doesn't surprise me.

MOO

BetteDavisEyes
03-27-2011, 11:33 AM
As a fan of Ina Garten, I am disappointed and saddened to learn that she refused to meet with a sick child. In her defense, perhaps the thought of meeting one-on-one with a child who is ill makes Ms. Garten uncomfortable since she has no children of her own. I don't want to jump to conclusions about Ina lacking compassion until I hear the other side of the story. jmo

bessie
03-27-2011, 01:40 PM
That's weird. All this time, I thought The Barefoot Contessa was that very pretty woman who has an Italian Cooking show.

Don't feel bad, I thought he wanted to meet Ava Gardner. :D

Seriously, I'm familiar with Ina Garten and don't really care for her or her style of cooking. JMO Somehow, I'm not surprised that she turned down the child.

She might not be obligated to make the child's wish come true, but it would have been the decent thing to do. JMO On the other hand, there are always two sides to a story, and I'd like to hear hers.

eileenhawkeye
03-27-2011, 03:02 PM
If she was uncomfortable with meeting a sick child, she could have made a video of herself baking a cake specifically for the child, tell him that she was sorry she couldn't make it, and send him the cake she baked for him.

believe09
03-27-2011, 04:01 PM
If she was uncomfortable with meeting a sick child, she could have made a video of herself baking a cake specifically for the child, tell him that she was sorry she couldn't make it, and send him the cake she baked for him.

Quick-call her publicist! ;)

eileenhawkeye
03-27-2011, 04:21 PM
President Obama has made time to meet with Make-a-Wish children:

http://blogs.bet.com/news/newsyoushouldknow/make-a-wish-child-with-leukemia-meets-president/

http://nebraska.wish.org/2010/05/10/i-wish-to-meet-president-barack-obama/

http://blackwaterdog.wordpress.com/2010/12/25/im-greatful-2/give51/

http://www.hvpress.net/news/126/ARTICLE/8066/2009-10-14.html

I highly doubt Ina is more busy than the POTUSA

MaryLiz
03-27-2011, 05:20 PM
Don't feel bad, I thought he wanted to meet Ava Gardner. :D

I'm so glad someone else here remembers Ava Gardner as the original Barefoot Contessa!!!

Melanie
03-27-2011, 05:22 PM
Of course she isn't obligated to meet anyone, but I fail to see why it is impossible for her to meet a sick child who waited a really long time.

IMHO she signed up for MAW foundation, and they consider her a good friend. That is, until kids actually want to meet with her. A check, IMHO, is not the same as granting wishes.. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Mel

BetteDavisEyes
03-27-2011, 05:48 PM
I've checked the FN website a few times today to see if there has been any statement from the executives about this unfortunate situation. Nothing as of yet, but I think there will be some residual effects from Ina Garten's failure to meet with this sick youngster. Food Network has made an effort to have their "stars" participate in philanthropic and outreach endeavors that include hunger awareness and the current "Chopped All-Stars" competition show that will have the winner donating $50,000 to the charity of choice. If FN's other chefs can share their time and assets with the less fortunate, surely Ms. Garten can and should do likewise. jmo

Melanie
03-27-2011, 05:52 PM
Right, but she signed up for it, am I right? She does this for children and adults-- works closely with the organization. So... maybe she's picky?

eta: Quote: A representative for Garten told the site: "Despite her demanding schedule, [Ina] participates and helps as many organizations as she can throughout the year, helping children and adults like Enzo with life threatening and compromising illnesses. ... Unfortunately, as much as she would like to, it's absolutely impossible for her to grant every request she receives."

Well I'd like to know how many MAW requests she's done. If others, why is she discrimating against this young boy. I can understand her declining the offer once, but twice? I would love to see her track record on who she "approves".

MOO

Mel

Lato
03-27-2011, 06:29 PM
I know that this is just the beginning of a search on I.G., but I wanted to know more about her. This Wiki article includes a bit about her personal
life (need to scroll down), and it indicates that she guards her personal life
closely and does not take part in F.N. charities and activities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ina_Garten

angelmom
03-27-2011, 10:05 PM
The child does have a terminal illness. You have to have a terminal illness to get a wish granted by the Make a Wish foundation. The child asked to meet her, she said she was busy, so the child say he would wait, and then she turned him down, a year later.

Actually:
http://www.wish.org/about/our_mission

Since 1980, the Make-A-Wish Foundation® has enriched the lives of children with life-threatening medical conditions through its wish-granting work.

Not to make light of a child with cancer, but according to his mother he is in remission and will finish treatment this June. I don't believe he is terminal.

http://www.angelsforenzo.com/

IMHO she signed up for MAW foundation, and they consider her a good friend. That is, until kids actually want to meet with her. A check, IMHO, is not the same as granting wishes.. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Mel

I don't know that she "signed up" for anything. I think she has been a supporter in some way, which leads the MAWF to consider her a "friend." Even now.

While it would have been nice for her to meet with him, the article I linked earlier by a person who had volunteered with MAWF says that wishes are turned down all the time by celebrities, but it doesn't make the news. For this reason, families are encouraged not to pick this type of wish b/c it is so hard to make happen. This makes the author (and me) wonder who leaked it, why the general media isn't picking it up, and what motives are involved.

jjenny
03-27-2011, 10:51 PM
I am not sure where the question "who leaked it" is coming from. The child's family has a blog (linked on this thread) and wrote about it. I don't consider this a "leak."

BetteDavisEyes
03-27-2011, 10:58 PM
I know that this is just the beginning of a search on I.G., but I wanted to know more about her. This Wiki article includes a bit about her personal life (need to scroll down), and it indicates that she guards her personal life closely and does not take part in F.N. charities and activities.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ina_Garten

Just want to point out that Ina Garten's Wikipedia article was last modified on 27 March 2011 at 05:12. The comment about Ina not taking part in FN charities and activities could have been added today - following the media coverage of her declining to meet with the little boy through the Make-A-Wish-Foundation.

Food Network has been involved in a number of philanthropic endeavors, hunger awareness campaigns, etc., and I would be very surprised to learn that some of the television chefs are not "team players". I hope that Food Network will offer a statement to the public regarding Ina Garten's actions in the case of the boy who wished to meet her but was denied the opportunity. Personally, I believe that the situation reflects poorly on Food Network. jmo

scandi
03-27-2011, 11:16 PM
Actually:

Since 1980, the Make-A-Wish Foundation® has enriched the lives of children with life-threatening medical conditions through its wish-granting work.

Not to make light of a child with cancer, but according to his mother he is in remission and will finish treatment this June. I don't believe he is terminal.

I don't know that she "signed up" for anything. I think she has been a supporter in some way, which leads the MAWF to consider her a "friend." Even now.

While it would have been nice for her to meet with him, the article I linked earlier by a person who had volunteered with MAWF says that wishes are turned down all the time by celebrities, but it doesn't make the news. For this reason, families are encouraged not to pick this type of wish b/c it is so hard to make happen. This makes the author (and me) wonder who leaked it, why the general media isn't picking it up, and what motives are involved.

Having watched Ina's show for years and seeing her as totally family oriented I am truly surprised she turned down this child down.

I do know that when people get to the point in their lives where they are wealthy and solidly set, they often do change. It creates a 'power persona', a step above the masses.

I bet the FoodNetwork got wind of this and called her on it ~ Shame on her. And then of course the child's parents made the most of it. Shame on them too. Bless the child, as he is the one caught in this drama. xox

jjenny
03-27-2011, 11:30 PM

I can see why a Disney character would be popular but I highly doubt there are that many sick children who want to meet Ina Garten since she really isn't marketed towards children.

OT: What Disney character did your friend voice?

According to his family's blog, the child is not terminal. He is very sick but not terminally so. Make a wish foundation grants wishes to children with life threatening conditions. It doesn't mean they all will die.

shana
03-27-2011, 11:51 PM
We don't have access to Garten's 1040s. How do we know how much Ina gives to charity, or even to M.A.W.? Perhaps she prefers money contributions. That's her choice!

She is not a "major" celeb (as evidenced by some posters upthread who mixed her up with Giada). That said, doesn't she have a right to decline such invitations? How many does she receive, not necessarily such as this one request (which the child initiated at age 3?) for personal contact. Maybe there are other requests for this&that personal appearances. Doesn't she have a right to reject some, for her own personal reasons?

Reading the mother's blog...Barefoot Contessa book bonfires...really?

...altho I do have sympathy for what the mother says she is going thru, she would do well with some supportive therapy. jmo

I'm just amazed at how quickly some ppl judge a person who isn't "giving" enough, without any real facts or consideration for her position.

TMZ, puhleeze...

ETA: I sit on the board of a private fdn. Although the national M.A.W. rates highly, the closest local to us rates 2 of 4 stars on Charity Navigator. We keep such charities on a Watch List (not a Reject List). Most importantly, this whole story has damaged the rep of M.A.W., which to me is a very sad result for this worthy charity.

STEADFAST
03-28-2011, 12:14 AM
I can't help but be suspicious about who it really is in the family who wants to spend the day with a cooking-show lady, especially enough to wait years for the chance without changing.

If my son had had been in a situation to Make A Wish, he would have chosen Roy Underhill (of The Woodwright's Shop) one year and then Andre Dawson (of the Cubs) the next year and so on. Seems odd to me that a child would remain fixated for three years on some snooty lady shoving things into an oven.

shana
03-28-2011, 12:23 AM
STEADFAST posted:

I can't help but be suspicious about who it really is in the family who wants to spend the day with a cooking-show lady, especially enough to wait years for the chance without changing.

ITA! Let's see, who might it be?...

Also, and I am not suggesting that the story is not legit, but how do we really know? What do Ina Garten and her team know? How much have they been "contacted" by this family, and might those contacts have constituted harassment? Who knows!

scandi
03-28-2011, 12:57 AM
STEADFAST posted:

ITA! Let's see, who might it be?...

Also, and I am not suggesting that the story is not legit, but how do we really know? What do Ina Garten and her team know? How much have they been "contacted" by this family, and might those contacts have constituted harassment? Who knows!

Hi Shana, Reading everything here I agree something seems fishy about the family in this case ~ their making the most of the situation with Ina.

That makes me wonder if indeed Ina and her team knew plenty about this family and decided to say no instead of becoming involved with them. I could easily see that happening. If that is true, then using the excuse of being busy was the wrong way to address the situation IMO, and FoodNetwork had to step in to save grace.

What is right or wrong in this case? I don't think we really know enough of the real facts to make a judgement. xox IMO

believe09
03-28-2011, 10:27 AM
So, if the child is not suffering enough and the family is suspicious, Ina is in the clear. If the child is suffering and the family has a legitimate beef, then Ina has some explaining to do.

Do I have this correctly?

believe09
03-28-2011, 10:37 AM
Do you guys know how to see the edit history on a wikipedia page? When you get to the page, click on the history tab. Find the earliest change that might be related to the story, and click on prev. Once you bring it up, you can scroll through the edit history by clicking on the hyperlink under the editors name, "next edit."

It is actually pretty funny to see how many times the info was removed and put back on this page.

BetteDavisEyes
03-28-2011, 11:50 AM
There has yet to be some type of statement made by Food Network with regard to this unfortunate situation. FN owes their viewers an explanation of the circumstances behind Ina's refusal to meet with the sick youngster. If this decision was made by Ina and her publicity team, and FN had no involvement in Ina's choice, then they should step forward and tell their viewers. I sent an email to FN to express my disappointment in the way that situation has been handled, and I doubt that I'm the only fan that they'll hear from. I'm not going to burn my Ina Garten cookbooks, nor will I boycott her show or Food Network, but I would like to know the facts from the major players in this sad saga.

Soulmagent
03-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Actually:

My DD had cancer and recieved a wish. She is in remission actualy past the time they consider her cured. That said because the illness is concedered terminal it made her eligible for the wish. She recieved her wish before we were aware of her positive so far resolution. That may have been the case here. Being in remission is not the same as being cured. Remisson has to last forever and one never knows for sure it will but after 5 years off treatment they do consider it cured. Alot of kids come out of remission after treatment stops. Lifetime check ups even still.

My DD wished for her own computer, she was sick and in the hospital so much she was never really active . They set her up with a complete system and tons of computer games. She was 4 but had been using a computer since she was 2. This weekend we got her a bamboo tablet for her design thing she does. She has a newer computer now but we still have her other one. She doesnt ever remember being sick even though she was 5 when treatment stopped.

i.b.nora
03-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Ina Garten does not owe the public an explanation for anything. Someone asked her to do something, she said her schedule did not allow her to do it. Period. End. Done.

The Food Network does not owe the public an explanation either, beyond what they have already stated.

I don't get where just because someone asks a person (celebrity or not) to fulfill a request, that the person is then required to say 'yes'. Its absurd.
To then report (probably for pay) the perceived slight to TMZ or other tabloid type media, amounts to an extortion attempt, imo.

Anyhow, I guess the heat got too hot for the original accuser:

http://www.angelsforenzo.com/pleasestopthemadness.htm

"PLEASE STOP THE MADNESS- This all started with a call from “Make a Wish“ on Friday warning me that TMZ published a story about Enzo’s wish being denied. WHAT? WHY? We were already moved on and getting excited about swimming with dolphins. ..."

"I want to make it VERY CLEAR we have NO ANGER OR ILL WILL toward Ina Garten. Enzo made his request and she declined, end of that story. As much as I know it has REALLY angered people, she has that right. Furthermore it is not our wish to hurt Ina Garten in anyway. Enzo found great comfort in watching her cook when he was going through his toughest times and for that we are so grateful."

It goes on ...

ThoughtFox
03-28-2011, 01:32 PM
I've watched this woman cook for years. She can cook in her sleep, and what she makes isn't that complicated. Oooo, a salad with croutons! Oooo, brownies with icing!

Pick up one of her cookbooks and you'll see what I mean.

Her show revolves around the fact that she hangs around the kitchen all day letting her husband taste her cooking. I wouldn't say she has a high-pressure lifestyle. If she has time to cook and eat all these dinners for friends, then she has time to give to charity.

Whatever the circumstances, she should know enough about bad publicity to go ahead and cook a meal for a sick kid.

Seems like a no-brainer to me!

Otherwise, the Make-A-Wish foundation should just remove her from the list forever.

I've never heard of someone who is so busy they don't have time for a terminally ill child. :( Making them wait months? What if they don't have months to live?

JMOO :cow: :cow: :cow:

angelmom
03-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Otherwise, the Make-A-Wish foundation should just remove her from the list forever.

I've never heard of someone who is so busy they don't have time for a terminally ill child. :( Making them wait months? What if they don't have months to live?

JMOO :cow: :cow: :cow:

MAWF apparently still considers her a friend.

The child is not terminal. His mother is understandably upset by the references to that, which I would be as well.

What makes me REALLY sad is how the press has been writing and referring to Enzo as a “DYING” child or a “TERMINAL” child making his “LAST DYING WISH.” Just typing it makes my blood go cold. Enzo is NOT dying or terminal, he IS very sick but he is VERY MUCH alive and the most ALIVE person I have EVER known! He has two beautiful, sensitive, loving sisters who have been very private through out his treatments and I feel terrible that they had to see that OVER and OVER again. Can you imagine how that makes them feel?

I don't know what the deal is with this publicity, but I really hope people see this and stop saying this little boy is going to die. She says he will be done with his protocol in June, and this type of cancer has a very high cure rate.

BetteDavisEyes
03-28-2011, 02:53 PM
The bad publicity must have gotten to someone, because Ina will now meet with Enzo at Food Network:

From ABC News http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/barefoot-cont...

The "Barefoot Contessa" has time to star in her Food Network show, pen cookbooks, and cook at charity luncheons for her well-to-do fans. But apparently, her schedule was too packed to meet a 6-year-old boy stricken with leukemia who requested a cooking session with her through the Make-A-Wish Foundation. She turned him down, twice.

Now, after multiple blogs and news outlets criticized her decision, Garten is inviting Enzo Pereda to the set of "The Barefoot Contessa." "Ina became aware of Enzo's story this weekend and will be calling him today," a spokesperson for Garten said in a statement to ABCNews.com. "She looks forward to inviting him to spend some time with her at the Food Network studios." ....

burbqueen
03-28-2011, 05:26 PM
IMO it does look bad considering she is on FN and she does have a TV show, people!!! If you want to stay on TV cooking or whatever dont have bad PR. The public will turn against you very quickly. If the president isnt too busy then neither should she.

If you dont want to play the game then stay the heck off of TV. Cook from youtube and call it a day. I'm tired of celebrities or wanna be's with TV shows, games or products they want people to buy into, but to give back is just too much of a bother. She wants to be private? Sure that works if you are famous by default, but if you are on TV everyday they come on. Just seems a bit grandstanding snobbery to me.

BetteDavisEyes
03-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Ina Garten does not owe the public an explanation for anything. Someone asked her to do something, she said her schedule did not allow her to do it. Period. End. Done.

The Food Network does not owe the public an explanation either, beyond what they have already stated.

I don't get where just because someone asks a person (celebrity or not) to fulfill a request, that the person is then required to say 'yes'. Its absurd.
To then report (probably for pay) the perceived slight to TMZ or other tabloid type media, amounts to an extortion attempt, imo.

It goes on ...

Respectfully edited and BBM. To the best of my knowledge, Food Network has issued NO statement regarding this unfortunate situation, nor has a scathing blog on FN's website elicited any response from executives. I'm not a professional chef or TV cooking personality, but I'd be very happy to cook and/or bake with Enzo.

shopper
03-28-2011, 07:13 PM
So if someone is famous, for any reason, the are not allowed to deny a request to a sick child, terminal or not?

jjenny
03-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Hi Shana, Reading everything here I agree something seems fishy about the family in this case ~ their making the most of the situation with Ina.

That makes me wonder if indeed Ina and her team knew plenty about this family and decided to say no instead of becoming involved with them. I could easily see that happening. If that is true, then using the excuse of being busy was the wrong way to address the situation IMO, and FoodNetwork had to step in to save grace.

What is right or wrong in this case? I don't think we really know enough of the real facts to make a judgement. xox IMO

There is absolutely zero evidence that this family has ever tried to contact Ina outside of Make a Wish foundation. In fact Ina, after all this bad publicity, has apparently decided she can meet with the child.

shopper
03-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Well I guess Ina didn't feel that she had the RIGHT to decide for herself, for whatever reason, to not meet with this child, so she caved. Grownups using a child, sick or healthy, to bully another adult to doing what they want, is disgusting. MORE disgusting than the wish not being fulfilled IMO.

reportertype
03-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Well I guess Ina didn't feel that she had the RIGHT to decide for herself, for whatever reason, to not meet with this child, so she caved. Grownups using a child, sick or healthy, to bully another adult to doing what they want, is disgusting. MORE disgusting than the wish not being fulfilled IMO.

She was basically pressured into doing it. I still see a yes or no as her personal choice (to the original request,) based on what I have read.

zippitydoda
03-28-2011, 08:09 PM

I am in agreeance with your thinking. I'm a big fan of Ina's - watch her show and have many of her books, sure she's not for everyone - but she is for me.

Ina has every right to be rich and succesful, with a large business, and now, become known for it - as she built her business from the ground up. That does instantly turn her into celebrity jerk who can't be bothered to meet with a sick child. Who knows what her reasons were, if she in fact choose not to meet with him, because they are her reasons and she is entitled to them. She's a good cook, who has a successful tv show and a series of books, she does not present herself as anything but that.

I think its terrible that this story was pushed by the rag TMZ and the family. Basically, its you did not meet with our sick child so now we'll trash you.

BetteDavisEyes
03-28-2011, 08:24 PM

Perhaps it was not Ina's choice or decision to meet with Enzo but that of her employer, Food Network, who determined that Ina should meet with this child due to the bad publicity that this situation has generated. I don't think there is any bullying going on by any of the parties involved: This may very well have been a business decision by FN to avoid further negative publicity.

Quiche
03-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Perhaps it was not Ina's choice or decision to meet with Enzo but that of her employer, Food Network, who determined that Ina should meet with this child due to the bad publicity that this situation has generated. I don't think there is any bullying going on by any of the parties involved: This may very well have been a business decision by FN to avoid further negative publicity.

I hope she's not passive aggressive. :doughboy:

AdoraBlue
03-28-2011, 09:35 PM
I ADORE Ina Garten's show, her books and her recipes, The Barefoot Contessa. My DVRs are full of old episodes. I definitely give her the benefit of the doubt.

I have in the past looked at her and Jeffrey's charitable contributions and am pretty sure she gives a lot back.

BetteDavisEyes
03-28-2011, 10:16 PM
I ADORE Ina Garten's show, her books and her recipes, The Barefoot Contessa. My DVRs are full of old episodes. I definitely give her the benefit of the doubt.

I have in the past looked at her and Jeffrey's charitable contributions and am pretty sure she gives a lot back.

By her own admission, Ina Garten (and her husband, Jeffrey) is a very private person. How is it that you know about their "charitable contributions"?

LinasK
03-28-2011, 10:21 PM
I've watched her show a few times, didn't care for it. Based on what I've read on this thread of her behavior, whether or not the child was terminal, it has NOT endeared her to me, and doesn't make me want to watch her show.:razz: I'd be much more inclined to support those celebs like Bobby Flay who do do much for charity!

shopper
03-28-2011, 10:32 PM
I've watched her show a few times, didn't care for it. Based on what I've read on this thread of her behavior, whether or not the child was terminal, it has NOT endeared her to me, and doesn't make me want to watch her show.:razz: I'd be much more inclined to support those celebs like Bobby Flay who do do much for charity!

You don't know what she does or does not do for charity. Just because it may not be broadcasted all over doesn't mean she does nothing for children.

:rolleyes:

PorcineGranny
03-29-2011, 12:19 AM
I hate to jump in here, but when I have watched the Barefoot Contessa, I have always felt that Ina was a snooty person. I don't know if she is or not, but its the impression that one receives when viewing her "dinners".

Besides, what is the problem with showing kindness to anyone? She should be grateful to
have the opportunity in this life to make a child happy . JMO

shopper
03-29-2011, 12:25 AM
The child is getting his wish, she's gonna meet with him. All's well that ends well. On to the next celeb scandal...

eileenhawkeye
03-29-2011, 01:58 AM
The child is getting his wish, she's gonna meet with him. All's well that ends well. On to the next celeb scandal...

She's only meeting with him because of the bad PR she got when she turned his wish down 2x. It's interesting that she was able to find time in her schedule once the press got hold of the story.

shopper
03-29-2011, 08:06 AM
She's only meeting with him because of the bad PR she got when she turned his wish down 2x. It's interesting that she was able to find time in her schedule once the press got hold of the story.

I'm aware of that & I'm also aware that with some people, nothing she does from now on will be right, so she should do what she feels is right. However, all those people that were up in arms should not be hypocritical, the child IS getting his wish & that was the most important thing.

The end result is the same, the child is getting to meet with her.

robinparten
03-29-2011, 08:38 AM
I absolutely love some of her recipes (her chicken pot pie is out of this world good) but I think she does come across kind of snooty and privileged. But, while I don't think I would want to hang out with her or be her friend, the woman can cook, and I have enjoyed some of her recipes.

shopper
03-29-2011, 08:49 AM
I absolutely love some of her recipes (her chicken pot pie is out of this world good) but I think she does come across kind of snooty and privileged. But, while I don't think I would want to hang out with her or be her friend, the woman can cook, and I have enjoyed some of her recipes.

I'm not really a fan but I don't cook. Two of my bff's adore her though so I hear about her a lot from them gushing over her. She doesn't appear as annoying as that Hee Haw Paula Deen. I'd rather listen to someone come across as snooty & priviledged (and possibly toned down?) as that constant "yawwwlll".

Lato
03-29-2011, 09:59 AM
Good Morning....Ina and Paula are ladies in their 60s....and I think they differ
greatly from each other. Maybe it depends on where you grew up and/or
live now as to whether you would enjoy them on FN or in person. I hate to
see either one of them belittled for the way they talk or the company they
keep. Ina has a half hour show. If she bothered me I would change the
channel, but that is what I do for lots of shows....some are good, some not
so much.

As for the young child, I think he watched the TV programs his mom suggested and I think she likes/liked Ina. I hope he is not disappointed that
he waited to meet his "wish". I guess I think of Disney World for a 6 year old.

belimom
03-29-2011, 10:23 AM
...snip...

As for the young child, I think he watched the TV programs his mom suggested and I think she likes/liked Ina. I hope he is not disappointed that

I agree - my 8-yr-old son LOVES to watch Barefoot Contessa with my mom when we visit her. I think she does have a very calm demeanor on her show that some of them don't and I think that appeals to my son and my mom. I don't care for her personally, but I agree she can cook.

shopper
03-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Good Morning....Ina and Paula are ladies in their 60s....and I think they differ
greatly from each other. Maybe it depends on where you grew up and/or
live now as to whether you would enjoy them on FN or in person. I hate to
see either one of them belittled for the way they talk or the company they
keep. Ina has a half hour show. If she bothered me I would change the
channel, but that is what I do for lots of shows....some are good, some not
so much.

I was born & still live in the deep south, IMO Paula's southern drawl is greatly exaggerated, when it needn't be. That's not belittling her, it just works my nerves. My mom loves Paula so I've been treated to many of her recipes, which were delish! There are traits to each of them that I like, some I don't care for.

Hopefully Ina will receive an outpouring of goodwill by those that have raked her over the coals for not meeting with the child, since she has changed her mind, even if she was "forced" to.

annalia
03-29-2011, 11:10 AM
I think she fully deserved the heat she took. Now she decides to meet with a dying child, MO it's too little too late, it's meaningless when she was forced to do it the way she was, because she got bad publicity?? Odd that now her schedule allows it. I'm glad the little boy gets his wish though.

Why should she be revered because she has a cooking show, gheesh it's not like she found a cure for cancer.

shopper
03-29-2011, 11:17 AM
What difference does it make why she changed her mind? The child still gets his wish.

If no excuse was good enough for her to turn him down, then she should get the same consideration for meeting with him. It shouldn't matter "why", she's doing it, just be glad she is.

annalia
03-29-2011, 11:20 AM
What difference does it make why she changed her mind? The child still gets his wish.

If no excuse was good enough for her to turn him down, then she should get the same consideration for meeting with him. It shouldn't matter "why", she's doing it, just be glad she is.

Self serving is not commendable. MO

shopper
03-29-2011, 11:24 AM
Self serving is not commendable. MO

Didn't say it was, but she's meeting with him. I haven't read where Enzo has said that he doesn't want to, so if Enzo is cool with it, it's no one else's business.

shopper
03-29-2011, 11:27 AM
My bolding It was said from the outset what she based her decision on, her schedule wouldn't allow it. Why are you ignoring that, do you not wish to believe it?

I'm not ignoring it, I'm just giving her the benefit of the doubt since I'm not her, or on her staff.

believe09
03-29-2011, 11:32 AM
I am in agreeance with your thinking. I'm a big fan of Ina's - watch her show and have many of her books, sure she's not for everyone - but she is for me.

Ina has every right to be rich and succesful, with a large business, and now, become known for it - as she built her business from the ground up. That does instantly turn her into celebrity jerk who can't be bothered to meet with a sick child. Who knows what her reasons were, if she in fact choose not to meet with him, because they are her reasons and she is entitled to them. She's a good cook, who has a successful tv show and a series of books, she does not present herself as anything but that.

I think its terrible that this story was pushed by the rag TMZ and the family. Basically, its you did not meet with our sick child so now we'll trash you.

And it worked.

For those who doubted TMZ, well MSM reported the story...via ABC. And she caved to the pressure, so whatever schedule she had that was solidly set in stone apparently had some wiggle room.

I guess there is nothing fishy about the family. I am happy at the outcome provided Enzo still wants to hang with her.

I think he should pick Michael Symon, but it isnt my wish. ;)

annalia
03-29-2011, 11:37 AM
The reason that was put out in the beginning, if I'm not mistaken, was that she had a heavy book tour schedule. If I'm going to give anyone the benefit of the doubt it would be Enzo's family and Make a Wish.

I read that the family had moved on and was now planning on him swimming with the dolphins, is it known for sure that they have decided to meet with Ina?

shopper
03-29-2011, 11:38 AM
Not surprised that no one has posted this:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dailydish/2011/03/barefood-contessa-ina-garten-to-meet-host-one-of-her-youngest-fans.html

"Garten was completely blindsided by the media firestorm this weekend over her reported refusals to meet with the young boy suffering from cancer. The boy would watch Garten from his sick bed, and twice requested a meeting with her through Make-A-Wish. The second time the request was made, Garten's representatives -- unbekown to her -- gave the family a "definite no." Disappointed, the boy's family wrote about the rejection on its blog. From there, it was picked up by TMZ and exploded online, with criticism raining down on Garten's head."

Sounds to me like someone on her staff dropped the ball. Not that that makes any of this ok, but she deserves the benefit of the doubt.

annalia
03-29-2011, 11:40 AM

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dailydish/2011/03/barefood-contessa-ina-garten-to-meet-host-one-of-her-youngest-fans.html

"Garten was completely blindsided by the media firestorm this weekend over her reported refusals to meet with the young boy suffering from cancer. The boy would watch Garten from his sick bed, and twice requested a meeting with her through Make-A-Wish. The second time the request was made, Garten's representatives -- unbekown to her -- gave the family a "definite no." Disappointed, the boy's family wrote about the rejection on its blog. From there, it was picked up by TMZ and exploded online, with criticism raining down on Garten's head."

Sounds to me like someone on her staff dropped the ball. Not that that makes any of this ok, but she deserves the benefit of the doubt.

What would anyone expect her to say now? She needs to repair the damage done. It's nothing more than PR. MO

believe09
03-29-2011, 11:40 AM

Wouldnt her staff have dealt with any of the requests for comment regarding the situation, or have come forward at the time to say, sorry I blew it?

I think this is CYA, but that is JMO.

shopper
03-29-2011, 11:47 AM
What would anyone expect her to say now? She needs to repair the damage done. It's nothing more than PR. MO

LOL, so what would you have her do now? I have no idea the size of her staff, but there can be incompetence anywhere on her staff. For someone who reportedly supports MAW, and I don't think that has been disputed, she would look foolish to personally deny the request. What she's possibly guilty of is hiring an a-hole, and needs to deal with that employee.

shopper
03-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Wouldnt her staff have dealt with any of the requests for comment regarding the situation, or have come forward at the time to say, sorry I blew it?

I think this is CYA, but that is JMO.

I think the employee didn't think the situation would blow up like this & wrongly assumed it would go away. Ina needs to clean house.

annalia
03-29-2011, 11:55 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/barefoot-contessa-turns-make-kid/story?id=13238578

In a statement released today, Make-A-Wish said it supports Garten's move but noted that it's focusing on Pereda's second wish -- to swim with dolphins.

"Enzo and his family have publicly expressed excitement about his dolphin wish," a spokesperson for the foundation said in a statement to ABCNews.com. "According to his mother, Enzo has started sleeping in his swimsuit because he wants to be ready when he dreams about them at night."

The statement added, "We have been informed that Ina Garten plans to contact Enzo independently of the Make-A-Wish Foundation, and we wish them well."

Dave AHFB
03-29-2011, 11:56 AM
Congrats and thank you to John Cena of WWE who is bringing 30 make a wish kids to wrestlemania this coming weekend. This will bring his total to over 200 kids whom have had wishes come true. And to think it did not take bad publicity and the need to cover his own self serving butt to make it happen. Maybe "barefoot" contessa should strap up some wrestling boots, seems to have helped John Cena stay grounded.

She should change her name to calloused contessa

robinparten
03-29-2011, 11:56 AM
Maybe she is just not comfortable around kids? I don't think she has any children.

shopper
03-29-2011, 12:01 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/barefoot-contessa-turns-make-kid/story?id=13238578

Splendid!! Enzo has moved on & will probably have a great time swimming with the dolphins, which is something I would love to do one day. It will be a much more memorable experience for him than cooking anyway. He's a 6 year old boy, he can cook any old day, swimming with dolphins isn't an everyday experience.

:woohoo:

annalia
03-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Splendid!! Enzo has moved on & will probably have a great time swimming with the dolphins, which is something I would love to do one day. It will be a much more memorable experience for him than cooking anyway. He's a 6 year old boy, he can cook any old day, swimming with dolphins isn't an everyday experience.

:woohoo:

He can cook any old day?? Wow, just wow

Maybe read his mother's blog and see what he thought about cooking any old day.

shopper
03-29-2011, 12:04 PM
Maybe she is just not comfortable around kids? I don't think she has any children.

Until I had a child of my own (late in life) I didn't care for kids and was not a bleeding heart when it came to them. Of course I didn't like to hear of any child being abused or mistreated in any way, but I didn't put too much stock in the world revolving around them. If she doesn't have children, then I can see (NOT EXCUSING) how she may not "get it".

shopper
03-29-2011, 12:06 PM
He can cook any old day?? Wow, just wow

Maybe read his mother's blog and see what he thought about cooking any old day.

Quit making more of it than it really is. I have read the mother's blog & according to HER, he's excited about the dolphins. I'm excited for him. Cooking is a bore & a hassle to me, so IMO, he got the better wish.

annalia
03-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Quit making more of it than it really is. I have read the mother's blog & according to HER, he's excited about the dolphins. I'm excited for him. Cooking is a bore & a hassle to me, so IMO, he got the better wish.

Are you serious?

believe09
03-29-2011, 12:09 PM
Now that would be a follow up story-if Enzo's family politely refused her offer.

That would be a bummer for her.

shopper
03-29-2011, 12:09 PM
Enzo's mom's blog entry:

"PLEASE STOP THE MADNESS- This all started with a call from “Make a Wish“ on Friday warning me that TMZ published a story about Enzo’s wish being denied. WHAT? WHY? We were already moved on and getting excited about swimming with dolphins. Enzo started sleeping in his swimsuit because he wanted to be ready when he dreamt about them at night! Ha!

I had written about our disappointment when we originally found out, but asked everyone in the spirit of Enzo to please just “let it go” and move forward, as I know he has. I know this REALLY hit a strong cord with people, the outrage over this has been REALLY OVERWHELMING. There are so many articles, blogs, radio shows, even a Utube video about this. I want to make it VERY CLEAR we have NO ANGER OR ILL WILL toward Ina Garten. Enzo made his request and she declined, end of that story. As much as I know it has REALLY angered people, she has that right. Furthermore it is not our wish to hurt Ina Garten in anyway. Enzo found great comfort in watching her cook when he was going through his toughest times and for that we are so grateful."

Her words & emphasis. More at link http://www.angelsforenzo.com/pleasestopthemadness.htm

annalia
03-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Enzo's mother's blog

http://www.angelsforenzo.com/march2011update2.htm

Unfortunately as we were arriving home from the hospital I got word from “Make A Wish” that it is has been officially confirmed that Ina Garten (the “Barefoot Contessa” ) has declined Enzo’s wish to meet her and cook a meal with her. I felt terrible for him, he has been unwavering in his desire to meet her for 3 years and despite many attempts to get him to pick a 2nd wish or change his mind he would not. Last year Ina gave a “soft no” supposedly because she had a 10 month book tour and they called and asked him what he wanted to do and he said “I will wait” and he did…As I wrote in last month’s update they came to our home again and tried to convince him to change his wish but he did not want to. Even yesterday when I told him the unfortunate news, his reply was simply “why doesn’t she want to meet me”? (As he is looking up at me with those big beautiful brown eyes).

I would be lying if I said that I don’t find this to be shocking. To know that out of EVERY THING (material Enzo could choose to have), or ANY PLACE (in the world Enzo could travel to) and out of EVERY PERSON on this earth he chose Ina, and she cannot see what an honor that is. And he wanted to actually be with her for NO reason other then to have her company and cook with her. I actually feel badly for her because Enzo has NOTHING but pure love and intensions and she will never get to have that experience with him and she is missing out on something so authentic and beautiful.

shopper
03-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Are you serious?

Totally

shopper
03-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Now that would be a follow up story-if Enzo's family politely refused her offer.

That would be a bummer for her.

Maybe it would be. It wouldn't surprise me if they did, since he's moved on. Maybe he can do both?

shopper
03-29-2011, 12:20 PM
"I am putting this out there again in the spirit of what is truly Enzo and asking people to PLEASE let go of your anger and please send only healing, loving, positive vibes into the universe. Enzo is SO CLOSE to being done with his treatments and we want nothing more then for him to move forward in good health.

PLEASE change the energy from anger to love and support Enzo on the rest of his journey. This we would appreciate so much.

Much love,

Mama Pereda and Family"

Smart woman! I'm sure she's grateful that her son is NOT terminal & would like to focus on that instead of her son being disappointed for a small portion of his hopefully long life.

Penelope
03-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Swimming with the dolphins will be a wonderful experience for Enzo and his family. I hope he decides to go even if he does meet with "Contessa". I ask the Creator to have pity on Enzo and to heal him -- he has suffered enough and has taught us enough about compassion, resilience and courage.

LinasK
03-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Didn't say it was, but she's meeting with him. I haven't read where Enzo has said that he doesn't want to, so if Enzo is cool with it, it's no one else's business.
It's also nobody's business whether or not a 6-year-old actually enjoys a cooking show, or whether it was really his mother's idea. The point is is that's what his wish is. I don't find it unusual that a child would enjoy the cooking shows on today vs. the era of Julia Child (booooring!!!):twocents:
My child enjoys many of the shows on Food Network and has for a few years now: Iron Chef America, The Next Food Network Star, Good Eats, Rachel Ray, Dinner Impossible, Restaurant Impossible, Ace of Cakes, Cupcake Wars, and the cake challenge ones (Don't know the title).

shopper
03-29-2011, 12:40 PM
It's also nobody's business whether or not a 6-year-old actually enjoys a cooking show, or whether it was really his mother's idea. The point is is that's what his wish is. I don't find it unusual that a child would enjoy the cooking shows on today vs. the era of Julia Child (booooring!!!):twocents:

In my household, we don't enjoy cooking & life doesn't revolve around meals, we only eat to put fuel in our bodies. So, to ME, going on any cooking show is booooring LOL. I had the opportunity to swim with the dolphins as part of an excursion on a cruise, wish I had done it. I plan to next time.

My son is 4 and we never know when he'll be spooked by something or when he will fully embrace something without any fear, so even though Enzo is 2 years older, I hope he really enjoys it & won't back out. He's been through so much though so hopefully he has a resilience to things.

LinasK
03-29-2011, 12:43 PM
In my household, we don't enjoy cooking & life doesn't revolve around meals, we only eat to put fuel in our bodies. So, to ME, going on any cooking show is booooring LOL. I had the opportunity to swim with the dolphins as part of an excursion on a cruise, wish I had done it. I plan to next time.

My son is 4 and we never know when he'll be spooked by something or when he will fully embrace something without any fear, so even though Enzo is 2 years older, I hope he really enjoys it & won't back out. He's been through so much though so hopefully he has a resilience to things.
F.Y.I. (not that it matters to this thread, but our life doesn't revolve around cooking either. I don't cook everyday, and dinner at that, and... my daughter got to swim with dolphins last summer).

shopper
03-29-2011, 12:45 PM
F.Y.I. (not that it matters to this thread, but our life doesn't revolve around cooking either. I don't cook everyday, and dinner at that, and... my daughter got to swim with dolphins last summer).

Very cool! How old is your daughter?

I just turned 40 & decided that this year would be the year to quit being afraid of things & try new things. That's why I think it's so cool for Enzo to do something like this, maybe he won't be a scardey cat when he's older & will take some chances on life.

LinasK
03-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Very cool! How old is your daughter?

I just turned 40 & decided that this year would be the year to quit being afraid of things & try new things. That's why I think it's so cool for Enzo to do something like this, maybe he won't be a scardey cat when he's older & will take some chances on life.
Turning 10. (There was a height minimum and swim abilities test).

Kimster
03-29-2011, 03:16 PM
Knock off the snark in here. If I get any alerts on any posts after this one with snark in them or being aimed at another poster, out comes my ray gun.

BetteDavisEyes
03-29-2011, 03:38 PM
I don't do Facebook or any other social network, but I've followed the discussion about Ina Garten on Food Network's blog. Here's the link for those who might be interested:

http://blog.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/2010/12/01/12-days-of-cookies-barefoot-contessas-coconut-macaroons/#idc-cover

Bon Appetit!

shopper
03-29-2011, 03:58 PM
I don't do Facebook or any other social network, but I've followed the discussion about Ina Garten on Food Network's blog. Here's the link for those who might be interested:

http://blog.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/2010/12/01/12-days-of-cookies-barefoot-contessas-coconut-macaroons/#idc-cover

Bon Appetit!

Pretty angry commenters over there. I wonder how many of those people do volunteer work at their local children's hospitals or giving of themselves in any way? I guess it's easier to worry about somebody else's backyard than tending to their own?

Quiche
03-29-2011, 04:25 PM
Some folks are verrrrrry vested in this situation! Wowsers! :crazy:

I just hope that Enzo enjoys whatever is offered him, and he is treated well-- and, of course, that Ina learns a lesson about public opinion. jmo

Whome?
03-29-2011, 05:14 PM
I heard about this on line and thought I'd stop on this thread and read what everyone thought about this. I guess my opinion will not be a popular one.I am not a big BC fan,I do admit I have watched her show and tried some of her recipes. That being said, when I read about the little boy,I had to read further to get additional info. When my grand kids are over the house and I'm watching F/N they have ALWAYS asked to change the channel or went to another room to watch another show. I don't know of many 6Year olds who watch the show, If I remember reading correctly the MOTHER watched the show when she was visiting the child in the hospital,so it was the MOTHER who was into Ina and NOT the child. I understand that Ina does not have children and some people cannot deal emotionally or mentally with sickness or death. IMHO to ruin someone's life long career is just as devastating as this child's illness.I don't think that Ina deserved for this to happen to her career at this stage of her life. Do I think her people could have handled this better?Yes I do. As far as PR goes this was terrible. If it had been my child,you would not have had to say NO but one time, I would have moved on to something/someone else. Again, I can't think of too many 6 Years olds who are dying to meet the B/C. So IMHO I am suspect of the whole matter.:innocent:

shopper
03-29-2011, 05:21 PM
I heard about this on line and thought I'd stop on this thread and read what everyone thought about this. I guess my opinion will not be a popular one.I am not a big BC fan,I do admit I have watched her show and tried some of her recipes. That being said, when I read about the little boy,I had to read further to get additional info. When my grand kids are over the house and I'm watching F/N they have ALWAYS asked to change the channel or went to another room to watch another show. I don't know of many 6Year olds who watch the show, If I remember reading correctly the MOTHER watched the show when she was visiting the child in the hospital,so it was the MOTHER who was into Ina and NOT the child. I understand that Ina does not have children and some people cannot deal emotionally or mentally with sickness or death. IMHO to ruin someone's life long career is just as devastating as this child's illness.I don't think that Ina deserved for this to happen to her career at this stage of her life. Do I think her people could have handled this better?Yes I do. As far as PR goes this was terrible. If it had been my child,you would not have had to say NO but one time, I would have moved on to something/someone else. Again, I can't think of too many 6 Years olds who are dying to meet the B/C. So IMHO I am suspect of the whole matter.:innocent:

Interesting take! I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't more to the story myself.

Whome?
03-29-2011, 06:11 PM
Interesting take! I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't more to the story myself.

Personally I am wondering where her PR people are,this should have never gotten to this point. I understand that her decision may not be popular with some people but the last time I looked at my mail I lived in the good ol USA and in this country you are free to say NO. I used the link to F/N and the call for her show to be cancelled is just mean spirited.I personally think it is an organized campaign,which again makes me suspect of the whole story.Maybe Mom has some issues, I don't know.but who gets this amount of publicity from a blog and WHO called TMZ? If I were Ina meet with the little boy if they still wanted,but I'd have my attys,start looking into this smear campaign and when I got to the bottom of this barrel,lawsuits would be flying for defamation of character and ruining my career. In this country because someone says NO, you should not be able to ruin that person's life and livlihood,that it took them YEARS to build up. Again,not a big INA fan but this is out and out bullying IMHO Fight them INA FIGHT!!!!!!:twocents:

Melanie
03-29-2011, 06:30 PM
And it worked.

For those who doubted TMZ, well MSM reported the story...via ABC. And she caved to the pressure, so whatever schedule she had that was solidly set in stone apparently had some wiggle room.

I guess there is nothing fishy about the family. I am happy at the outcome provided Enzo still wants to hang with her.

I think he should pick Michael Symon, but it isnt my wish. ;)

or guy f, from diner's drive-ins n dives. he is an absolute hoot. then again, its not my wish :)

shopper
03-29-2011, 06:36 PM
Personally I am wondering where her PR people are,this should have never gotten to this point. I understand that her decision may not be popular with some people but the last time I looked at my mail I lived in the good ol USA and in this country you are free to say NO. I used the link to F/N and the call for her show to be cancelled is just mean spirited.I personally think it is an organized campaign,which again makes me suspect of the whole story.Maybe Mom has some issues, I don't know.but who gets this amount of publicity from a blog and WHO called TMZ? If I were Ina meet with the little boy if they still wanted,but I'd have my attys,start looking into this smear campaign and when I got to the bottom of this barrel,lawsuits would be flying for defamation of character and ruining my career. In this country because someone says NO, you should not be able to ruin that person's life and livlihood,that it took them YEARS to build up. Again,not a big INA fan but this is out and out bullying IMHO Fight them INA FIGHT!!!!!!:twocents:

It is bullying, and emotional blackmail of the worst kind. The blog getting leaked to TMZ is very suspect IMO. Give it a few days, the truth will eventually come out if there is more to it.

LinasK
03-29-2011, 07:19 PM
I don't know of many 6Year olds who watch the show, If I remember reading correctly the MOTHER watched the show when she was visiting the child in the hospital,so it was the MOTHER who was into Ina and NOT the child.
Again, I can't think of too many 6 Years olds who are dying to meet the B/C. So IMHO I am suspect of the whole matter.:innocent:

My child enjoys many of the shows on Food Network and has for a few years now: Iron Chef America, The Next Food Network Star, Good Eats, Rachel Ray, Dinner Impossible, Restaurant Impossible, Ace of Cakes, Cupcake Wars, and the cake challenge ones (Don't know the title).
Quoting myself in response.

LinasK
03-29-2011, 07:20 PM
or guy f, from diner's drive-ins n dives. he is an absolute hoot. then again, its not my wish :)
Guy Fieri is opening a new restaurant in my area. I'll let you know how it is...

Whome?
03-29-2011, 07:44 PM
Quoting myself in response.

I respect your opinion but it is MY understanding that the Make a Wish Foundation (I'm very familiar with it having worked in a children's hospital) makes the WISH for the CHILD not the PARENT. If Enzo's mother wanted to meet Ina she should have gone to a home show in her area,and not wasted a 6 year old MAW on HER dream date. JMHO :twocents:

raeann
03-29-2011, 09:31 PM
From reading the mother's blog and the way she speaks of this child, it is clear that she has nothing but love and respect and adoration for the boy. I think it is extremely unfair for those of us who do not know her in any way to imply that she would EVER sacrifice her child's true wish to get something for herself. I can simply not IMO fathom that this could be inferred just because the wish might be unusual for a child. My son at that age sometimes spent his Saturday mornings watching "This Old House" and NEVER, EVER was interested in watching any type of cartoons. At six, he would have chosen Bob Villa over the Ninja turtles, Superman, Disney World or any other "kid" celebrity in a flash. Most people would have considered that strange for a child, but choices like that are what make kids special and set them apart from the norm.

jmo

BetteDavisEyes
03-29-2011, 10:27 PM
From reading the mother's blog and the way she speaks of this child, it is clear that she has nothing but love and respect and adoration for the boy. I think it is extremely unfair for those of us who do not know her in any way to imply that she would EVER sacrifice her child's true wish to get something for herself. I can simply not IMO fathom that this could be inferred just because the wish might be unusual for a child. My son at that age sometimes spent his Saturday mornings watching "This Old House" and NEVER, EVER was interested in watching any type of cartoons. At six, he would have chosen Bob Villa over the Ninja turtles, Superman, Disney World or any other "kid" celebrity in a flash. Most people would have considered that strange for a child, but choices like that are what make kids special and set them apart from the norm.
jmo

Thank you for your thoughtful post. Your son is probably very bright and has interests that seem unusual to others, but I understand completely :) One year when I was teaching third grade catechism, I had a youngster who said that his favorite TV show was "Yan Can Cook". I was curious about the show because I had never watched it. My student told me all about the cooking show and why he enjoyed watching Martin Yan create delicious meals. I was quite impressed and did not find his interest so unusual for an intelligent boy.

shopper
03-29-2011, 10:48 PM
My 4 year old loves the Weather Channel, go figure. But I don't discourage it because if it gets him interested in science, that's fine with me.

Quiche
03-30-2011, 08:20 PM
'Make-A-Wish' Kid to Barefoot C: Don't Call Us ...

Quote: Enzo's dad Adrian tells us ... the ship has sailed: "I don't want to put my son through all these emotions. We're better off just leaving everything the way it is."

http://www.tmz.com/2011/03/30/ina-garten-make-a-wish-cancer-barefoot-contessa-enzo-portland-oregon-food-network-chef-snub-reject-dolphin-cook-meal/

Well, there you have it.

jjenny
03-30-2011, 09:15 PM
Simply publishing negative information about someone is not defamation, unless it's false. It might have taken her years to build up her career, but we do have freedom of speech in this country. If her representatives did turn down Make a Wish foundation twice on meeting with the boy, then what's published is correct and not defamation. If that was a made up story, only then would it be defamation, and I've seen nothing to suggest it is a made up story.

gogrannypop
03-30-2011, 09:24 PM
No matter what, she should do the right thing.

BetteDavisEyes
03-30-2011, 10:40 PM
No matter what, she should do the right thing.

Ina offered to meet with the boy and was apparently rebuffed. There is nothing more for her to do. End of story.

shana
03-31-2011, 01:52 AM
There was nothing for Ina to do once this "story" broke...damage done.

ThoughtFox
03-31-2011, 03:09 AM
I sense that some people may not believe a boy could be interested in a cooking show.

From my own experiences as a mother I know that isn't true. My son used to love watching Top Chef and other cooking shows, and at fifteen he still loves to cook.

Because of that I wouldn't assume that it was "Mom's Choice" to have Ina Gartner, and I bet the Make-A-Wish-Foundation is smart enough to know the difference between what a kid wants and what an adult wants. Geesh!

No, Ina didn't have to do it - she can be free now, just as I am free not to watch her stupid show anymore. :banghead:

Soulmagent
03-31-2011, 03:34 AM
My five year old just today was fighting with his older sister over the TV ,he wanteD to watch a cooking show and she was saying " it is a dumb cooking show!" I think boy enjoy those show much more then girls. I hate em.

jjenny
03-31-2011, 10:30 AM
I sense that some people may not believe a boy could be interested in a cooking show.

From my own experiences as a mother I know that isn't true. My son used to love watching Top Chef and other cooking shows, and at fifteen he still loves to cook.

Because of that I wouldn't assume that it was "Mom's Choice" to have Ina Gartner, and I bet the Make-A-Wish-Foundation is smart enough to know the difference between what a kid wants and what an adult wants. Geesh!

No, Ina didn't have to do it - she can be free now, just as I am free not to watch her stupid show anymore. :banghead:
ITA. Just because most boys this age would not be interested in a cooking show or its hostess, it doesn't mean this particular boy wasn't.
Especially if he was sick and watched it while confined to bed, he certainly could have developed an interest.

Whome?
03-31-2011, 10:36 AM
My initial reason for joining Websleuths (after lurking for years)was because you are able to have a debate and it not get nasty and personal and the fact that people here look at matters objectively and from different perspectives. That being said, I looked at this PR disaster objectively. If you read all the comments out there about this story,the facts are as follows; the child requested a Make a wish 3 years ago and was told that Ina was on tour,so they decided to wait. They approached Ina this year and was told no this time. My antenna went up on this case when I read that they requested this initial meeting 3 years ago. That would have made the child 2 1/2 to 3 years old, the 2nd or 3rd (depending where you read) was now being made. Again it made me suspect that a 2 1/2 to 3 year old could request to meet INA. Again as I initially posted, I am NOT a big Ina fan, please do not take my position on this matter,to think I am. My "hinky meter' just went up on this PR disaster when I looked at the initial age of the child when the request was made. Some have said they know children who watch cooking shows and yes my granddaughter on occasion has watched Paula Deen with me,so I am not ruling that out. But IMHO for a 2 1/2 year old to request to watch Ina I personally find suspect. I am in no way trying to question the mother's integrity but I personally find that the mother was Ina's fan and not the child. Again as I said could this matter have been handled differently and in a more savvy PR way YES, did Ina drop the ball YES. I think her arrogance in this matter has been astounding. but again I find the initial request very suspect and that was the matter I was trying to convey to everyone, that this was not a cut and dry, "request for a 6 year old matter." there was more to this request than meets the eye IMHO:innocent: :waitasec:

Whome?
03-31-2011, 10:38 AM
Simply publishing negative information about someone is not defamation, unless it's false. It might have taken her years to build up her career, but we do have freedom of speech in this country. If her representatives did turn down Make a Wish foundation twice on meeting with the boy, then what's published is correct and not defamation. If that was a made up story, only then would it be defamation, and I've seen nothing to suggest it is a made up story.

Thank you for the "schooling" I stand corrected.:innocent:

peeples
03-31-2011, 10:46 AM
Great Posts ThoughtFox and SoulMagent!

My boys are ages 10 down to 3 and they love food network. My 3 yr old goes crazy for the cake challenges show and LOVES the Show Ace of cakes and he would sooo love to meet that guy!!! If he had a choice between lunch with Elmo and the ace of cakes guy, he'd choose ace of cakes guy!!!!!
All my boys have loved their play kitchen since they were about 18 months old and my 10 yr old still plays kitchen with his younger siblings and my 10 yr old is shaping up to be a pretty good cook!!

Ina will no longer be on in this house. I think she's ugly on the inside and I hope Food network boots her.

believe09
03-31-2011, 11:00 AM
So Ina made time and they said no thanks. There you go.

Since Michael Symon is free for whatever time he offered to Enzo....(blushing)

Lato
03-31-2011, 11:11 AM
I was about the delete my notes on the "Ina Story", but this group still
makes me wonder about how we think of what happened....

"Ina receives approximately 100 requests a month to support charitable causes that deeply affect people's lives...."

Pereda's mother wrote in her blog that her son was waiting for 3 years for Garten to say yes...

The Make-A-Wish foundation made their first attempt to reach Garten in 2010 ...

http://www.ontheredcarpet.com/Barefoot-Contessas-Ina-Garten-makes-time-for-Make-A-Wish-boy/8039902

I remember how surprised I was when my son was 5 years old, and we were
driving into Hollywood. He wanted to "stop at Lucy's house".....yep from
the I Love Lucy show. The conversation is more than you would want to
know, but the bottom line was that he sat in front of TV to look at the show
and he thought that Lucy could see him. He felt like she knew him...that they were friends.

I guess we really do not know what is going on in those little minds.

I am becoming more open-minded about both sides of this story.