PDA

View Full Version : Defense wants gas reciept block from trial

Landonsmom02
04-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Well it looks like LEO finally found an eye witness that can place JY paying cash for gas on the morning MY was found beaten to death. Now his defense wants it surpressed from trial. More on the story below.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/9497848/

Just the Fax
04-30-2011, 06:07 PM
I was at the hearing last week.
Defense said they needed to see WCSO procedure to see if followed.
I think they just went around to every gas station that stretch and showed the JY photo and asked if they remembered a cash gas purchase around that time-frame by this individual. The defense will say this was suggestive and did not follow protocol.

This was the only pre-trial motion to suppress evidence.
Compared to Kurtz for Brad Cooper, this defense is almost conceding defeat.
I doubt they will even offer a defense.....just try to bang away at a few holes in the state's case through cross.

The lead prosecutor is Becky Holt....Ace ADA.
It was also announced in court the trial should last 3 weeks.
No wasted time this time around....The Cooper trial has been a 3 ring circus.

Landonsmom02
05-04-2011, 12:11 AM
I can't wait for this trial. I live about 30 mins from Raleigh and depending on my work scheduleI'm gonna try and make it as many days as possible. Thanks for the info.

RPD
05-04-2011, 11:53 AM
The supression hearing and JY' official plea is May 19

less0305
05-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Can't wait to get this show on the road!! I'm not at all surprised that the defense wanted this evidence thrown out. But to tell you the truth, I don't think it will make or break this case. I imagine it won't hold as much weight in court or for a juror as other evidence.

borndem
05-08-2011, 01:29 PM
I think they just went around to every gas station that stretch and showed the JY photo and asked if they remembered a cash gas purchase around that time-frame by this individual. The defense will say this was suggestive and did not follow protocol.

I doubt they will even offer a defense.....just try to bang away at a few holes in the state's case through cross.

If the defense is not going to present evidence, what would be their defensive argument? 2nd Degree would be folly, IMO, but it could be argued, I guess. Have we heard? Or did he just not do it?

They'll have the last argument, but what will they say? (I hope they don't bring up a van of right-footed marauders who don't care for jewelry....)
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

jilly
05-08-2011, 02:10 PM

Hi RPD!

Sounds to me like it was very good police work. Going to all those gas stations? Damned if they do and damned if they don't.
What would be the protocol? To take a number of photos like a police line-up and see who the witness picks? That doesn't even make sense (to me).

From what I've read, this Defense team is much better than what Cooper received. They may just chip away on cross to make their case but there's all that blood evidence which they may have their own expert for.

From 3 week time estimate, though, it doesn't sound like it will be much of a defense if they do put on one.

Just the Fax
05-19-2011, 08:54 AM
No cameras at the supression hearing today.
However, I feel sure they will photograph the arraignment that proceeds the hearing.
I will be in the courtroom and try to post some quick notes live.

happy2binNC
05-19-2011, 11:02 AM
No cameras at the supression hearing today.
However, I feel sure they will photograph the arraignment that proceeds the hearing.
I will be in the courtroom and try to post some quick notes live.

WRAL is saying they will broadcast the arraignment live on their website at 2:30. Thanks in advance for any notes you can provide us from the suppression hearing!

Landonsmom02
05-19-2011, 01:49 PM
Thanks JTF!!

happy2binNC
05-19-2011, 02:30 PM
Link to live feed of arraignment: http://www.wral.com/news/video/9616199/#/vid9616199

Rufflemaker
05-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Update:
"Chicken salad sandwich upstairs is not any good."
"The lady from Dateline is going to come back"

Just the Fax
05-19-2011, 02:37 PM
Jason walked in with a bad haircut.
His mama has 3 bodyguards with her.

Rufflemaker
05-19-2011, 02:38 PM
now they muted the live feed. ;(

happy2binNC
05-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Motion to sequester witnesses???:waitasec:

Rufflemaker
05-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Motion to sequester all law enforcement that worked on the case? Who will keep us safe?

RaleighNC
05-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Really? Don't show the photographs if they are "overdone"? Sorry -the scene is the scene - and if it's nasty and will make people gasp, so be it.

I know they have to ask - but really....

Been going through some trial withdrawl....

otto
05-19-2011, 05:01 PM
How long have investigators had this evidence? It seems to me that if they had this evidence, along with the video footage in the hotel, the evidence at the crime scene and all the rest of the circumstantial evidence (girlfriends and bad behaviors) early on, shouldn't charges have been filed long before they were? Or did this receipt surface a year or more after the murder?

Just the Fax
05-19-2011, 05:02 PM
Jy cursed the clerk and thew $20 on the counter...pumped $15 and did not get change...drove around back and off. Clerk said he was driving white suv. 4 Brothers convience store was the location right off 52 in kIng NC. Clerk was 90% sure it was jy

Just the Fax
05-19-2011, 05:09 PM
Recess till 5 15 to see if gracie bailey can testify tomorrow as to whether she can id JY in court

otto
05-19-2011, 05:12 PM
Jy cursed the clerk and thew $20 on the counter...pumped $15 and did not get change...drove around back and off. Clerk said he was driving white suv. 4 Brothers convience store was the location right off 52 in kIng NC. Clerk was 90% sure it was jy

That 90% certainty was quoted in the Cooper trial by an eye witness and that testimony was ignored by the jury.

Thanks for the updates!

Just the Fax
05-19-2011, 05:17 PM
Face to face...remembered him because he cursed her and was very upset. Not a glancing look as someone drove by a jogger.
This is was confirmed at 2am , 11-5

otto
05-19-2011, 05:33 PM
Face to face...remembered him because he cursed her and was very upset. Not a glancing look as someone drove by a jogger.

It's very good news if it's entered as evidence, and believed by the jury. I have no doubt that Jason Young is guilty of murdering his wife and unborn son.

Just the Fax
05-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Gracie will testify at 10AM Friday. She will be asked if she can identify the defendant in court as the same person that bought gas at 5:27AM, 11-3-06.
Judge Stephens will then rule whether to suppress.

This is Four Brothers Food store, King NC

http://mt0.google.com/vt/data=6zWRln029o2S70GGS5V8R8Kmyfwfs8oY_aw0nVtlfPI0t qhwRrRzIILgR88JU95vbRQuuUPWyz2iu9xj4m91DlWNFjcNJ4D cXvZhJw8

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s216/alive695/Capture.jpg

Just the Fax
05-19-2011, 06:22 PM
http://www2.nbc17.com/mgmedia/image/500/0/85817/jason-young-makes-first-court-appearance/
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s216/alive695/Capture-4.jpg
http://wwwcache.wral.com/asset/news/local/2011/05/19/9619428/young-220x165.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s216/alive695/Capture-3.jpg

Madeleine74
05-19-2011, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the update, JTF!

otto
05-19-2011, 07:39 PM
http://wwwcache.wral.com/asset/news/local/2009/12/15/6618997/6618997-1260886064-220x165.jpg http://wwwcache.wral.com/asset/news/local/2011/05/19/9619428/young-220x165.jpg

He looks sickly and pale, like Cooper.

otto
05-19-2011, 07:42 PM

So would that have been on the trip leaving the hotel and going back to the house? Is it about 1.5 - 2 hours drive from the hotel to the gas station?

Cursing a woman is certainly consistent with the Mr Jason Young that we have come to know.

Just the Fax
05-19-2011, 07:43 PM
That's what zero sunlight does to a complexion.
Like Cooper, he reminds me of an embalmed corpse.

Just the Fax
05-19-2011, 07:52 PM
So would that have been on the trip leaving the hotel and going back to the house? Is it about 1.5 - 2 hours drive from the hotel to the gas station?

Cursing a woman is certainly consistent with the Mr Jason Young that we have come to know.

$15 gas in 2006 ($2.20 NC), would have been 7 gallons of gas for his SUV.
The trip from the Va hotel to Raleigh, back to King NC would have used 14 gallons. There is another cash gas purchase that is unaccounted for.

Look for Explorer MPG, speed limits, driving times and gas usage to a biggie in this trial.

TigerBalm
05-19-2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the info JTF, and I'm so glad to see youuuu!!! :great::great::great::hug:

CrimeAddict
05-19-2011, 08:27 PM
He looks sickly and pale, like Cooper.

Those wife killers tend to start blending and looking alike don't they.. oh wait, casey is pale too, she is a baby killer..

Madeleine74
05-19-2011, 09:12 PM
I always thought jail food was fattening with a large % of carbs. After seeing the sharp cheekbones on Cooper & now Young, and how gaunt they look, I'm thinking this could be a new diet strategy. It's all in the marketing of it.

Madeleine74
05-19-2011, 09:14 PM
My other observation is that the haircuts BC and JLY received from the Wake County jail is much better than what either of them sported when they were footloose & fancy free. That jail barber is pretty good, all things considered.

lib's mom
05-19-2011, 09:22 PM
Jason walked in with a bad haircut.
His mama has 3 bodyguards with her.

Three bodyguards? What's that about? Do you think it's to puff up her sense of importance and bring the drama? What did the bodyguards look like? Which other Young family members were there? Was there any interaction between the family and JY? Where any of Michelle's family/friends there? Were there many observers in the courtroom?

Thanks! Off to watch the hearing...

Just the Fax
05-19-2011, 09:26 PM
Three bodyguards? What's that about? Do you think it's to puff up her sense of importance and bring the drama? What did the bodyguards look like? Which other Young family members were there? Was there any interaction between the family and JY? Where any of Michelle's family/friends there? Were there many observers in the courtroom?

Thanks! Off to watch the hearing...

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s216/alive695/Capture-2.jpg

Big sis Kimmy Young was not there, nor was Pat's husband, Gerald.
The 3 men surrounding Pat will soon be identified....stay tuned.
Jason acknowledged his supporters with a smile and a warm hello as he entered the courtroom.
Meredith Fisher and a friend were there.

Madeleine74
05-19-2011, 09:30 PM
His momma has to know he's guilty even if she'll never admit it and even if she thinks her boy can do no wrong. 28 phone calls the morning/day of the murder? She can't be in THAT much denial.

otto
05-19-2011, 09:33 PM
That's what zero sunlight does to a complexion.
Like Cooper, he reminds me of an embalmed corpse.

Not just that, but they both look like they're not getting enough nutrition - seriously lacking in vitamins.

otto
05-19-2011, 09:34 PM
$15 gas in 2006 ($2.20 NC), would have been 7 gallons of gas for his SUV.
The trip from the Va hotel to Raleigh, back to King NC would have used 14 gallons. There is another cash gas purchase that is unaccounted for.

Look for Explorer MPG, speed limits, driving times and gas usage to a biggie in this trial.

Do we have a map of the route? I could quickly put one together if I have the routes and locations. It might be helpful as we hear the evidence.

otto
05-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Those wife killers tend to start blending and looking alike don't they.. oh wait, casey is pale too, she is a baby killer..

Casey looks like she's getting her fair share of bonbons and vitamins, but not Cooper and Young.

otto
05-19-2011, 09:37 PM

Jason acknowledged his supporters with a smile and a warm hello as he entered the courtroom.

Oh wow! Those are some scary looking dudes. Whatever could she fear?

lib's mom
05-19-2011, 09:38 PM

Wow, thanks! I'll stay tuned...

Just the Fax
05-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Oops....seems Gerald was there.

Just the Fax
05-20-2011, 12:09 PM
The judge jumped into the questioning and Gracie Bailey Dahms said she remembered it was a white man. But when the judge asked if he was bald or what his hairstyle was she again seemed unsure. Later in the hearing, however, she was asked if she could identify the man she saw that morning in the courtroom today, she pointed to Jason Young.

When the hearing is over, the judge will have to decide whether Dahms will be allowed to testify in Young’s trial. If he rules she can’t, it could be a blow to the state’s case since Young’s alibi is that he was at the motel in Virginia sleeping during the time of his wife’s murder.

Dahm's testimony ended with questioning from the judge in which she said she would have been able to recognize Young in the courtroom just from their 2006 encounter - even if investigators hadn't shown her pictures of him on two different occasions.

Also, she said she had met with investigators and prosecutors recently and they told her "...it's very important - my information."

Judge Stephens ruled Dahms can testify at Young's trial. It's a blow to his alibi that he was at the motel in Virginia sleeping during the time of his wife’s murder.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=8142246

gracielee
05-20-2011, 12:18 PM
WRAL BREAKING NEWS, Judge will allow the convenience store clerk to testify about Jason Young's purchase of gas. Yippie!

gracielee
05-20-2011, 12:20 PM
The judge jumped into the questioning and Gracie Bailey Dahms said she remembered it was a white man. But when the judge asked if he was bald or what his hairstyle was she again seemed unsure. Later in the hearing, however, she was asked if she could identify the man she saw that morning in the courtroom today, she pointed to Jason Young.

When the hearing is over, the judge will have to decide whether Dahms will be allowed to testify in Young’s trial. If he rules she can’t, it could be a blow to the state’s case since Young’s alibi is that he was at the motel in Virginia sleeping during the time of his wife’s murder.

Dahm's testimony ended with questioning from the judge in which she said she would have been able to recognize Young in the courtroom just from their 2006 encounter - even if investigators hadn't shown her pictures of him on two different occasions.

Also, she said she had met with investigators and prosecutors recently and they told her "...it's very important - my information."

Judge Stephens ruled Dahms can testify at Young's trial. It's a blow to his alibi that he was at the motel in Virginia sleeping during the time of his wife’s murder.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=8142246

Opps, sorry, I just heard it on the news and assumed it hadn't been posted yet. I was just so damn excited! :woohoo:

Mama-cita
05-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Looks like Jason Lynn Young is going down. Good lord he has gotten even uglier! His gaunt face makes him totally look like Freddie Krueger!!!

Mama-cita
05-20-2011, 12:26 PM
JTF did you watch the testimony and do you think Gracie will hold up on cross examination? Did she seem credible to you? I am just worried about the case. Justice for Michelle and Rylan...

otto
05-20-2011, 12:28 PM
If he was seen leaving the hotel shortly after midnight, and the convenience store is 45 minutes from the motel, how does the timeline work to place him there at 2 AM?

Madeleine74
05-20-2011, 12:36 PM
She saw him around 5-5:30am, right? So that would be after the murder, on his way back to the motel.

Just the Fax
05-20-2011, 12:40 PM
JTF did you watch the testimony and do you think Gracie will hold up on cross examination? Did she seem credible to you? I am just worried about the case. Justice for Michelle and Rylan...

I could not make it down there today.
She had a past substance abuse issue, but had volunteered she was clean and sober for some time before 2006. She also has since gotten married.

otto
05-20-2011, 12:42 PM
She saw him around 5-5:30am, right? So that would be after the murder, on his way back to the motel.

Quite right: 5:27 (my mistake).
Thanks

Just the Fax
05-20-2011, 12:43 PM

Yes, the timeline is like this

1- Leaves home after 7:00 PM , getting gas in raleigh @ 7:32 pm. Stops at the Greensboro Cracker Barrel 1/2 way to Hillsville. Arrives in Hillsville Va around 10:45 pm

2- He leaves the hotel at 12 am for Raleigh, arriving at 2:40 am to murder Michelle.

3- He changes, tends to and drugs Cassidy and finally departs around 4:10 am and heads back to Va, stopping for gas in King NC at 5:27AM... arriving at the Hampton at 6:15 am...sneaks in, changes, gets receipt and bag amd departs at 7:15AM... calls 'someone' (Meredith VM?) at 7:40 am and then MM at 7:49 am before arriving in Clintwood Va at 10:35 am (35 minutes late after getting lost))

4- After a short 25 minute meeting, he leaves Clintwood at 11:00 am, stopping in Duffield Va at 12:06 pm for gas

5- After hanging up with MM at 2:30 pm, he pulls into the local Brevard hospital (business unknown)...leaving at 3:20 PM

5- Arrives at Ma Pat's around 3:30 pm , falling plumb to his knees.

6- The clan packs up and leaves Brevard at 5pm (gets gas in Burlington @ 8:30 pm)

7- The clan pulls into MF's drive around 9:45 pm

gorealtors
05-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Oops....seems Gerald was there.

JTF, where was Gerald sitting yesterday?

borndem
05-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Madeleine74[/B];6518310]I always thought jail food was fattening with a large % of carbs. After seeing the sharp cheekbones on Cooper & now Young, and how gaunt they look, I'm thinking this could be a new diet strategy. It's all in the marketing of it.

I can see the ads now:

For that 1,000-yard stare and slimmer figure, try our new "Barely There" diet meals and 1-hour/day exercise plan. Try this for one month, and your cheekbones and chin will be visible again! Clearer complexion, too! On sale for $89.95 for your introductory first month's supply, while supplies last. New from Incarcerated Products Inc.

borndem
05-20-2011, 01:23 PM
WRAL BREAKING NEWS, Judge will allow the convenience store clerk to testify about Jason Young's purchase of gas. Yippie!

This is a big one, sports fans!!

gorealtors
05-20-2011, 01:34 PM
Huge gain for the prosecution today!! Now that we've nailed down the testimony of Gracie, I say let's get someone to do a review of Testimony 101 with Blackwell! The "deer in the headlights" look just doesn't pass muster.

Just the Fax
05-20-2011, 01:35 PM
JTF, where was Gerald sitting yesterday?

He was to her left (glasses and beard).

gorealtors
05-20-2011, 01:57 PM
He was to her left (glasses and beard).

You know when we were sitting there, I figured that might be him, but then decided that he looked much younger than Pat, so dismissed the idea. Pretty sure the other dudes were Goins.

Mama-cita
05-20-2011, 02:05 PM
You know when we were sitting there, I figured that might be him, but then decided that he looked much younger than Pat, so dismissed the idea. Pretty sure the other dudes were Goins.

Which one is GoJo. Dying to know!!!!

gorealtors
05-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Which one is GoJo. Dying to know!!!!

The other two were much to young to be GoJo, in my opinion.:dunno:

Just the Fax
05-20-2011, 02:26 PM
Investigator Blackwell needs to take the time to refresh his memory on the case facts and details. He also needs serious coaching on how to be a good witness.
I was very disappointed in his testimony yesterday....very vulnerable.

Madeleine74
05-20-2011, 02:46 PM
I was surprised to learn he was, at one time, a lead investigator on the case. He came across as very junior and quite uncertain in his demeanor. The defense will have him for lunch if is the same way during trial.

otto
05-20-2011, 03:07 PM
For those visual people, like me, here is a map of the area (including the convenience store image from Just the Fax).

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t189/zed0101/youngmap.jpg

otto
05-20-2011, 03:14 PM
Floorplan of the house, with numbers indicating the route that I believe Jason took when entering the house in the middle of the night

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t189/zed0101/MichelleYoungFloorPlan2.jpg

Hampton Inn Floor Plan

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t189/zed0101/hillsvillehamptonDWF-1.jpg

Just the Fax
05-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Otto, that diagram for the Hampton is close, but not so accurate.
The front entrance is further to the left side and the far left downstairs is an indoor pool.
The front desk is on the right side, as you enter.
The stairwell he used (right side of building) is on the opposite side of the hall (back side)

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s216/alive695/Capture-7.jpg

otto
05-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Otto, that diagram for the Hampton is close, but not so accurate.
The front entrance is further to the left side and the far left downstairs is an indoor pool.
The front desk is on the right side, as you enter.
The stairwell he used (right side of building) is on the opposite side of the hall (back side)

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s216/alive695/Capture-7.jpg

Thanks. I might make corrections, depending on time ... but it gives the idea of the layout of a standard Hampton Inn.

gracielee
05-20-2011, 03:59 PM
The other two were much to young to be GoJo, in my opinion.:dunno:

GoJo? Who/what is GoJo?

otto
05-20-2011, 04:03 PM
GoJo? Who/what is GoJo?

He's a friend and neighbor of the Pat Young that became involved in discussions about the case, posting on various discussion boards. That was one of the names that he used when posting. He was (perhaps still is) convinced of Jason's innocence, having known Jason since he was a child.

gracielee
05-20-2011, 04:10 PM
He's a friend and neighbor of the Pat Young that became involved in discussions about the case, posting on various discussion boards. That was one of the names that he used when posting. He was (perhaps still is) convinced of Jason's innocence, having known Jason since he was a child.

Thanks, wish I had joined WS's long ago, I've missed so much of the original news, only followed the news at WRAL & N&O. :( No discussion groups though.

borndem
05-20-2011, 04:37 PM
For those visual people, like me, here is a map of the area (including the convenience store image from Just the Fax).

< picture snipped due to saving room >
Very nice, Otto - thanks! http://www.websleuths.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

otto
05-20-2011, 04:41 PM
Thanks, wish I had joined WS's long ago, I've missed so much of the original news, only followed the news at WRAL & N&O. :( No discussion groups though.

You have the advantage of hearing the evidence fresh during the trial - there have been all sorts of debates about facts during the last few years, some of which were likely wrong.

Just like in the Cooper case, there were mistakes made during the investigation. The receipt identification is obviously one of them. They should have used a photo line-up rather than only showing Jason's photo. Although it will be introduced as evidence, I think it's shakey evidence. Also, photos were taken of blood smears in the bathroom (made by a child), but police forgot to take measurements. That meant they had to return months later to photograph the location to determine the size of the smears. Boards were taken from the back deck months later and no one could at first figure out the reason. I think it was because there were footprints in the finish and police then tried to match those prints to the prints in the bedroom. There were 2 different sized prints in the bedroom, so it was argued that Young wore two different sized shoes (something like that) or wore shoes that were too small. Anyway, hearing the evidence straight up in a linear manner should be an advantage in terms of deciding whether he is guilty or innocent. I was convinced of guilt a month or two after the murder.

otto
05-20-2011, 04:42 PM
< picture snipped due to saving room >
Very nice, Otto - thanks! http://www.websleuths.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

Just the Fax added a good timeline above ... might try to make a map of the timeline, as I think that would really help clarify what he was doing through the night.

happy2binNC
05-20-2011, 05:17 PM
Yes, the timeline is like this

1- Leaves home after 7:00 PM , getting gas in raleigh @ 7:32 pm. Stops at the Greensboro Cracker Barrel 1/2 way to Hillsville. Arrives in Hillsville Va around 10:45 pm

2- He leaves the hotel at 12 am for Raleigh, arriving at 2:40 am to murder Michelle.

3- He changes, tends to and drugs Cassidy and finally departs around 4:10 am and heads back to Va, stopping for gas in King NC at 5:27AM... arriving at the Hampton at 6:15 am...sneaks in, changes, gets receipt and bag amd departs at 7:15AM... calls 'someone' (Meredith VM?) at 7:40 am and then MM at 7:49 am before arriving in Clintwood Va at 10:35 am (35 minutes late after getting lost))

4- After a short 25 minute meeting, he leaves Clintwood at 11:00 am, stopping in Duffield Va at 12:06 pm for gas

5- After hanging up with MM at 2:30 pm, he pulls into the local Brevard hospital (business unknown)...leaving at 3:20 PM

5- Arrives at Ma Pat's around 3:30 pm , falling plumb to his knees.

6- The clan packs up and leaves Brevard at 5pm (gets gas in Burlington @ 8:30 pm)

7- The clan pulls into MF's drive around 9:45 pm

Is it just me, or would he have to be driving like a maniac to get from Raleigh to King in just an hour and a half? He's lucky he didn't get stopped on I-40. Of course that would have likely saved us taxpayers several years worth of investigation since his alibi would have been busted.

Just the Fax
05-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Yes, he had to be driving 80MPH (mostly interstate).....the after 4AM departure from Raleigh is based on the paper man that saw a white SUV in the driveway after 4AM.
He was very late after the bloody mess and needed to get back to the Hampton Inn before the propped door was discovered. He was very agitated at the gas stop, cursing Gracie because he had to go in first and pay.

"Dahms said she saw a white SUV pull up to a pump. A frustrated man, she said, a man identified in court today as Jason Young then came into the store, and in what she described as an unusual event, cussed her out for the trouble he was having at the pump. Her practice was to tell people they could either pay in cash at the register or leave a credit card or photo ID with her before she would start the pump at that time of day.

Dahms said the man threw down $20, pumped $15 in gas and did not come back for his change."

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/05/20/1212378/judge-allows-store-clerks-testimony.html#ixzz1MvoGQCmJ

gracielee
05-20-2011, 06:18 PM
You have the advantage of hearing the evidence fresh during the trial - there have been all sorts of debates about facts during the last few years, some of which were likely wrong.

Just like in the Cooper case, there were mistakes made during the investigation. The receipt identification is obviously one of them. They should have used a photo line-up rather than only showing Jason's photo. Although it will be introduced as evidence, I think it's shakey evidence. Also, photos were taken of blood smears in the bathroom (made by a child), but police forgot to take measurements. That meant they had to return months later to photograph the location to determine the size of the smears. Boards were taken from the back deck months later and no one could at first figure out the reason. I think it was because there were footprints in the finish and police then tried to match those prints to the prints in the bedroom. There were 2 different sized prints in the bedroom, so it was argued that Young wore two different sized shoes (something like that) or wore shoes that were too small. Anyway, hearing the evidence straight up in a linear manner should be an advantage in terms of deciding whether he is guilty or innocent. I was convinced of guilt a month or two after the murder.

I suspected he was guilty the moment he lawyered up. The more the story came out, the more convinced I was. I just wish they'd gone for the death penalty on this one.

gracielee
05-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Yes, he had to be driving 80MPH (mostly interstate).....the after 4AM departure from Raleigh is based on the paper man that saw a white SUV in the driveway after 4AM.
He was very late after the bloody mess and needed to get back to the Hampton Inn before the propped door was discovered. He was very agitated at the gas stop, cursing Gracie because he had to go in first and pay.

"Dahms said she saw a white SUV pull up to a pump. A frustrated man, she said, a man identified in court today as Jason Young then came into the store, and in what she described as an unusual event, cussed her out for the trouble he was having at the pump. Her practice was to tell people they could either pay in cash at the register or leave a credit card or photo ID with her before she would start the pump at that time of day.

Dahms said the man threw down $20, pumped $15 in gas and did not come back for his change."

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/05/20/1212378/judge-allows-store-clerks-testimony.html#ixzz1MvoGQCmJ

He probably didn't anticipate how hard poor Michelle fought for her life. :maddening:

gorealtors
05-20-2011, 06:36 PM
I am just loving all this dialogue exchange between Jason and Gracie. Knowing all we do about the timeline, it makes perfect sense that his nerves were frazzled no end as his murder ploy started to have a few hiccups. Jason did NOT want even a split second conversation with a single soul until he could at least get is butt back to the HInn. And luckily, he ended up showing his true colors at Four Brothers and made a complete a$$ of himself.

CrimeAddict
05-20-2011, 06:39 PM
He probably didn't anticipate how hard poor Michelle fought for her life. :maddening:

Stabbing her how many times to make all that blood splatter? Geez at least brad cooper was clean about it and kind of left his kids out of it. Reminds me of the show Dexter.

Just the Fax
05-20-2011, 06:43 PM
Stabbing her how many times to make all that blood splatter? Geez at least brad cooper was clean about it and kind of left his kids out of it. Reminds me of the show Dexter.

No stabbing....he beat her poor head to a pulp.

Madeleine74
05-20-2011, 08:59 PM
I must have been in a cryonic state of suspension in 2006 and into 2007 because I was living here in the area, but I had zero knowledge of this case. In fact, I didn't learn about it till after the murder of Nancy Cooper in 2008. I remember very well the Stephanie Bennett murder in 2002 but for some reason I didn't know about the Young murder.

I'm pretty much up-to-date about the case, having read the SWs, and I look forward to what will hopefully be a more streamlined and swift trial and justice for Michelle & family.

I'm glad I have my fellow trial junkies on this. I will also be following the Casey Anthony case, as time permits.

CrimeAddict
05-20-2011, 10:29 PM
I must have been in a cryonic state of suspension in 2006 and into 2007 because I was living here in the area, but I had zero knowledge of this case. In fact, I didn't learn about it till after the murder of Nancy Cooper in 2008. I remember very well the Stephanie Bennett murder in 2002 but for some reason I didn't know about the Young murder.

I'm pretty much up-to-date about the case, having read the SWs, and I look forward to what will hopefully be a more streamlined and swift trial and justice for Michelle & family.

I'm glad I have my fellow trial junkies on this. I will also be following the Casey Anthony case, as time permits.

It was hard not to sort of forget about the case because its been so long. I remember hearing about what happened to Michelle but I figured i missed the trial and he was already in jail..

I am following both trials with you.. Excited Casey Anthony starts Tuesday butt at the same time I think her defense will be sneaky with this and have her lie on the stand and tell more stories.. gulp!
and also waiting to hear about the Kelly Morris murder update.

borndem
05-20-2011, 10:33 PM
No stabbing....he beat her poor head to a pulp.

Exactly -- and, IMO, would a stranger do all that to some pregnant woman he did not know?? With a two-year old running around screaming?? She would have screamed & cried her little head off it if had been a stranger.

And steal nothing?

No, this was something similar to what little Cassidy had at least heard before -- her Mommie & Daddy yelling at each other, having another fight. She probably hid in her room.

We all know that this kind of slaughter comes from a deep, dark, rage-fueled place in a man who knows her well enough to hate her and beat her beyond recognition, IMHO.

otto
05-20-2011, 10:59 PM
This map is based on the the timeline that Just the Fax posted earlier

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t189/zed0101/YoungMap2.jpg

fran
05-20-2011, 11:49 PM
I suspected he was guilty the moment he lawyered up. The more the story came out, the more convinced I was. I just wish they'd gone for the death penalty on this one.

LOL, I'm sure you recall he lawyered up before he even arrived back home at the crime scene, the day of the crime!

Yep, some perps are soooo transparent. Their guilt is worn on their shirt sleeves the very first day the crime reaches the press! :crazy:

JMHO
fran

CrimeAddict
05-21-2011, 12:31 AM
Exactly -- and, IMO, would a stranger do all that to some pregnant woman he did not know?? With a two-year old running around screaming?? She would have screamed & cried her little head off it if had been a stranger.

And steal nothing?

No, this was something similar to what little Cassidy had at least heard before -- her Mommie & Daddy yelling at each other, having another fight. She probably hid in her room.

We all know that this kind of slaughter comes from a deep, dark, rage-fueled place in a man who knows her well enough to hate her and beat her beyond recognition, IMHO.

Do we know if there was scratches on him
Or any defensive wounds?

lib's mom
05-21-2011, 12:44 AM
It was hard not to sort of forget about the case because its been so long. I remember hearing about what happened to Michelle but I figured i missed the trial and he was already in jail..

I am following both trials with you.. Excited Casey Anthony starts Tuesday butt at the same time I think her defense will be sneaky with this and have her lie on the stand and tell more stories.. gulp!
and also waiting to hear about the Kelly Morris murder update.

I think we're gonna find out the baby was drugged and slept through the murder. At least, I hope she did. And I pray she has no memory of the time she spent alone with her dead mother.

otto
05-21-2011, 06:51 AM
This gives a better idea about the back and forth ...

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t189/zed0101/Young-Map-Car-2.gif

gracielee
05-21-2011, 12:02 PM
LOL, I'm sure you recall he lawyered up before he even arrived back home at the crime scene, the day of the crime!

Yep, some perps are soooo transparent. Their guilt is worn on their shirt sleeves the very first day the crime reaches the press! :crazy:

JMHO
fran

Yup, now tell me that's not suspicious as all hell. By the time he get's back from *mommy's* he's already lawyered up with a fancy criminal defense team. Nothing shouts GUILTY quite as loudly as that IMO.

gracielee
05-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Or any defensive wounds?

I don't recall, he lawyered up so fast.

otto
05-21-2011, 02:01 PM
I don't recall, he lawyered up so fast.

Police called him when he was in the car returning to Raleigh, and he hung up on them. He hired a lawyer during that trip. His step father claims that it was his suggestion to hire a lawyer.

otto
05-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Or any defensive wounds?

He asked to come in for photos, but a court order was required and that took a few days. If there were minor scratches, they might have healed. Some thought that his knuckles looked swollen at the funeral.

Wyn
05-21-2011, 10:34 PM
Police called him when he was in the car returning to Raleigh, and he hung up on them. He hired a lawyer during that trip. His step father claims that it was his suggestion to hire a lawyer.

I've always wondered if his step-father did so because he thought Jason was guilty. I expected him to be with Pat, surprised by the other two with her. They flanked her like she needed protection. :innocent: Interesting that neither of his sisters were present.

borndem
05-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Or any defensive wounds?

Not that I have heard -- he didn't have to go to the hospital or anything, didn't have a mugshot taken for some little while ( :mad: ) and who knows what he may have told his family if he did --->Mom, I changed a tire on the shoulder of the road amidst a bunch of trees & shrubs; don't worry, I'm okay <--- that's probably what I would have said...

Good question, CAdd... http://www.websleuths.com/forums/images/icons/icon5.gif

Surely, Shirley, he would have had some scratches on his hands or arms or face.

Was there blood on the bed? Is that where he struck the first blow? If so, he may have struck her so hard the 1st time, it might have rendered her unconscious from the get-go. OMG, what a horrible, hateful & inhuman thing to do to the woman your carrying your son ...

:maddening:Makes me wanna holler!:maddening: [end of mini-rant]

borndem
05-21-2011, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by fran http://www.websleuths.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif

Yup, now tell me that's not suspicious as all hell. By the time he get's back from *mommy's* he's already lawyered up with a fancy criminal defense team. Nothing shouts GUILTY quite as loudly as that IMO.

Although I know most attorneys would tell you to clam up if you call them when in that situation, but seems to me that an innocent & caring spouse would be driving to the WCSO at top speed, and screaming at the top of his voice in agony.

But that's just me...

Wyn
05-21-2011, 11:43 PM
Not that I have heard -- he didn't have to go to the hospital or anything, didn't have a mugshot taken for some little while ( :mad: ) and who knows what he may have told his family if he did --->Mom, I changed a tire on the shoulder of the road amidst a bunch of trees & shrubs; don't worry, I'm okay <--- that's probably what I would have said...

Was there blood on the bed? Is that where he struck the first blow? If so, he may have struck her so hard the 1st time, it might have rendered her unconscious from the get-go. OMG, what a horrible, hateful & inhuman thing to do to the woman your carrying your son ...

Yes, there was blood on the bed. It appears she had been sitting in bed, working, as there were papers from PE around her. Her body was found on the floor to the left of the bed near the closet.

I've wondered if she fell asleep and wasn't even awake for the first blow. I know a lot of people think the weapon was a maglite but I've always thought that perhaps it was a lamp base.

Just the Fax
05-21-2011, 11:47 PM
Lamp base ;)

borndem
05-21-2011, 11:49 PM
Is it just me, or would he have to be driving like a maniac to get from Raleigh to King in just an hour and a half? He's lucky he didn't get stopped on I-40. Of course that would have likely saved us taxpayers several years worth of investigation since his alibi would have been busted.

Yeah -- putting that pedal to the metal, all right! And all night!

Google-maps says from Raleigh to Hillsville is 171 miles, 2h:48m, using best route;
Hillsville to Clintwood is 148 miles, 2h:51m.

That may be why his knuckles may have looked swollen at the funeral -- gripping the steering wheel until his knuckles were as pale as his face.

otto
05-22-2011, 12:06 AM
I've always wondered if his step-father did so because he thought Jason was guilty. I expected him to be with Pat, surprised by the other two with her. They flanked her like she needed protection. :innocent: Interesting that neither of his sisters were present.

After something like 28 phone calls to mom that morning plus - he must have looked like a mess when he pulled into the yard after a sleepless night ... the step dad probably had some suspicions. On the other hand, the husband is the first to be ruled out in a spousal homicide and a lawyer would help in terms of understanding rights and procedure.

Jason's mom looks like she anticipating some trouble.

borndem
05-22-2011, 12:07 AM

BBM - That little action moved him to the top of the suspect list, and he has never been behind any other suspect since the beginning -- and he has stayed there ever since...

otto
05-22-2011, 12:15 AM

That would be best, but I'm not convinced it was that clean. There were stranglation marks, but she was also viciously beaten in the head area - causing her teeth to fly across the room. I seem to recall that police speculated that there was a fight.

otto
05-22-2011, 12:16 AM
BBM - That little action moved him to the top of the suspect list, and he has never been behind any other suspect since the beginning -- and he has stayed there ever since...

Quite true. There was no way to rule him out a suspect even though many other suspects were ruled out during the investigation.

borndem
05-22-2011, 12:26 AM
Yes, there was blood on the bed. It appears she had been sitting in bed, working, as there were papers from PE around her. Her body was found on the floor to the left of the bed near the closet.

I've wondered if she fell asleep and wasn't even awake for the first blow. I know a lot of people think the weapon was a maglite but I've always thought that perhaps it was a lamp base.

BBM - I've wondered the same thing, Wyn... if she had been sleeping, then she really didn't have a chance, did she? ... Did he stash a murder weapon -- tire iron or crow bar or hammer or PVC pipe in the garage? If so, that's pretty slick -- about as slick as a charge for 1stDM. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/images/icons/icon8.gif

Thanks -- I thought I vaguely remembered about the blood on the bed.

Mommie sure had a lot of "boo-boos" as the child said... http://www.websleuths.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif

borndem
05-22-2011, 12:32 AM
Lamp base ;)

Hmmmm... :waitasec: Lamp base -- why?? That seems to be the weapon of choice -- a lamp base is thought to be a possibility in the K. Taft murder, too. Remember, JTF?

Just because it's there? And the perp *forgot* to bring one??

Samiya
05-22-2011, 09:17 AM
Hmmmm... :waitasec: Lamp base -- why?? That seems to be the weapon of choice -- a lamp base is thought to be a possibility in the K. Taft murder, too. Remember, JTF?

Hi borndem,

If you look back through the pages, you will find a thread I started that was a quiz for members here drawn from something that was written in one of the search warrants about blood on *a* lamp.

Here it is :) Lamps Lamp Lamps Quiz - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Sami

Just the Fax
05-22-2011, 11:44 AM

Several reasons for me.

1- Basilar skull fracture (fairly heavy weapon...beyond a mag-lite)
2- Since there was attempted strangulation, that was his first mode of attack. When she escaped his grip, the beating began (blood pool in bed).
She ended on the floor, by the closet doors and was beat on the head 28 times until death.
3- A SW described a lamp with "blood on the shade".
4- Many of the wounds were crescent shaped, so whatever the weapon, it had a rounded end. Sure, it could have been a baseball bat, but I lean more with the lamp being the opportunity of choice after the intended strangulation failed (Brad Cooper's mode of attack as well). I picture a candle stick type lamp with a round base....MOO
http://www.mypencil.com/mall/LEDL9081.jpg

SStarr33
06-22-2014, 10:55 AM
I don't remember a lamp being discussed in the trial and I have watched about 90%. Did I miss it in that 10%?