PDA

View Full Version : GUILTY x 3 !!! - Verdict discussion

Kimster
05-05-2011, 11:02 PM
The other thread was made up of a lot of waiting posts so let's start a new thread about the guilty verdict.

Why do you think the jury deliberated as long as it did?

How do you feel about the guilty verdict?

Do you think they will hand down a death penalty?

ynotdivein
05-05-2011, 11:06 PM
Coleman Guilty in 2009 Murders of Wife, Children (http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/article_4cd5b034-7713-11e0-822e-001a4bcf6878.html)

"The verdicts on three counts of first-degree murder were returned in court here at 7:40 p.m., after about 15 hours of deliberations over two days.

Coleman reacted with an exasperated expression and looked down. He looked at his notes as the jury was polled, all agreeing with the guilty verdict."

Melanie
05-05-2011, 11:18 PM
One way to get a verdict - GO SHOPPING. I'm really really happy justice was served today, I want to cry. On the 2 year anniversary, Sheri and the boys have not been forgotten. They were supported, loved, and above all - the criminal that took their lives will never be free again. A hell within itself.

While I don't expect the DP, LWOP is good enough for me.

Sheri, Garett and Gavin this day is for you.

Love and peace,

Mel

Kimster
05-05-2011, 11:20 PM
http://www.fox2now.com/news/ktvi-chris-coleman-triple-murder-trial-verdict-050411,0,3789729.story

Has a video and article.

Kimster
05-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Sheri's family speaks to the media:

Part I: http://www.stltoday.com/youtube_24180bf0-778c-11e0-9f5e-001a4bcf6878.html

Part II: http://www.stltoday.com/news/multimedia/youtube_84d361a4-7789-11e0-a337-001a4bcf6878.html

ynotdivein
05-05-2011, 11:26 PM
I am still all weepy.

So very happy for Sheri, Garett and Gavin, and their true family.

Curious Me
05-05-2011, 11:28 PM
Justice was done. Thank You! I am so grateful the jurors were able to come to a Guilty Verdict on this day - May 5, 2011.

BLU83
05-05-2011, 11:39 PM
CC family posting on FB how much their hearts hurt and how no family should have to go through something like this. I agree - no family should have to be murdered by by their husband/father.

who knew?
05-05-2011, 11:45 PM
My husband called me with the verdict on my way home tonight. I can't express how thankful I am for the jury doing the right thing.

Reading through all your comments, I wanted to say one other thing - it's what I was thinking about as I drove home. Wrinkles already touched on it - Chris ruined the life of Sheri's family. He also helped ruin his own family's life. Granted, they created the monster - and continued to feed it for the last 2 years. I have no respect for them - and think they deserve what they got. They have been living off their congregation for years - spending their money like they were millionaires... so caught up in their self-importance that they forgot what serving God was about. They thought God was serving them. Then their "entitled" son murdered his family - and they were sure God would fix it for him. (I have a hard time believing they thought he was innocent.) They spent a ton of their parishioner's money trying to defend Chris - and when they were "investigated" for misuse of funds, I'm guessing they had to pull their own money and whatever money was slid to them under the table, to make sure Chris had the best defense. (Of course, there was no defense to be found!)

Look at what Ron and Connie have left: One son, a murderer, in prison; no grandchildren; one son, Keith, who bilked his ex-wife out of every dime she had, then married his "Tara" 2 weeks later, and then sexted with his murderer brother's girlfriend; their third son who is apparently married and doing fine, but who strangled a deer (and a dog?) and who threatened to kill the Dep Marshall Barlow because he testified to the truth of what happened to Sheri, Gavin and Garrett; a much smaller bank account, and now that his church members have begun to see the truth of the murders, I would think it would continue shrinking; Connie is ill (I thought it was lupus, but someone else said cancer) and I'm sure the stress of the trial and of defending her son to whoever would listen has taken a toll with her illness. 2 years ago, we saw her cleaning out Chris's house and other than a few bandages, she was doing just fine. At trial, her face was swollen (meds?) and she's in a wheelchair. The Coleman's cannot walk with their heads held quite so high now - they aren't fooling as many people as they used to. They've been shown to be what they are and it's not what they're pretending to be.

Karma is a b$#ch! They can thank Chris for being such a good boy.. JMO

ETA - Just had to rant and get this off my chest.

Curious Me
05-05-2011, 11:46 PM
It's good to see the Guilty word in connection with CC. We hunger for this kind of justice because without it there'd be no hope in joining forces to make earth safe from the kind of evil that takes innocent lives. Good riddance to Chris from society.

Coleman guilty in 2009 murders of wife, children
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/article_4cd5b034-7713-11e0-822e-001a4bcf6878.html

BLU83
05-05-2011, 11:52 PM
@who knew? ........

It appears to me, from FB postings earlier today - they believed he was innocent and would be home in time for Mother's Day. And you hit the nail on the head about thinking God was serving them. One post from about an hour before the verdict came in stated that they knew God was going to show up today "in a BIG way!"

He sure did - and justice was served.

who knew?
05-06-2011, 12:10 AM
@who knew? ........

It appears to me, from FB postings earlier today - they believed he was innocent and would be home in time for Mother's Day. And you hit the nail on the head about thinking God was serving them. One post from about an hour before the verdict came in stated that they knew God was going to show up today "in a BIG way!"

He sure did - and justice was served.

I'm glad you joined us BLU - you really added a lot of background! Thanks!

And now, I'm going to bed because I imagine I'll be monitoring in the morning to see whether the jury goes dp or life!

Fairy1
05-06-2011, 12:42 AM
Could someone possibly post a pic of Sheri and the boys? I have recently switched from a PC to a Mac and I can't figure out how to do it!!!

TIA.

Rhyme & Reason
05-06-2011, 01:18 AM
I'll try! All I could find was a fuzzy one, so I don't know how it will turn out here..

RR0004
05-06-2011, 01:32 AM
Today was a good day for justice. Bless Sheri and her beautiful boys...and may her family find some peace in the verdict.

DairyGirl
05-06-2011, 02:13 AM
I couldn't figure out what took the jury so long but I can only assume that they wanted to be thorough and not leave open the possibility the verdict being overturned. The arrogance of this man to think he could get away with murder. I know Sheri and her boys played a big hand in this. I don't think it was a coincidence that the verdict came on this day.
I pray that her family and friends can start to heal.

stmarysmead
05-06-2011, 05:22 AM
Some random thoughts about the conviction this early morning.

“We’re in Hawaii being bad.” I think this is how Tara changed Coleman’s life. Chris grew up in a devout family. When he married, his wife took on the faith and embraced the Joyce Meyer Ministry fully...finding her friends there...becoming involved in missions....and in bringing others to the peace she’d found.

One of those “others” was her friend Tara, the divorced strip club waitress, whose life had followed a very different path. Sheri hoped to “convert” Tara to a life of faith and service, but it was Tara that converted Chris to a life of “being bad.” I think Tara was Chris strength to rebel...the threat letters calling Meyer a “hypocrite” were Chris venting at his employer, and the values he’d been raised with, the “goody-two-shoes” wife...everything that kept him, to his mind, caged in. Not free.

Tara was freedom. Sexy texts and videos every day. Hotel room trysts in beautiful places. Do whatever feels good. Please yourself. Pleasure yourself. Take what you want.

Sheri was responsibility. God. Family. Faith. Walk that straight and narrow. “Do unto others”... Sheri was a cage.

And Chris’ job was a cage. It paid far too well to leave and he had security that only long-standing personal ties to the Boss might bring you. He wouldn’t be “special” if he went someplace else.

So, he devised, over months, a plan to beat the system. A way to “be free” and in the morality of Tara’s world, get what he wanted and get rid of what he didn’t. Tara’s creed was “take what you want.” Your best friends husband, his kids’ vacation, ..she taught him well.

Chris would take Tara and the job and slaughter Sheri and the little boys.That’s what felt good.

He’d be Tara’s Bad Boy...masquerading in a well paying Good Boy job. Ha! Ha! How they would sneer at them all. Joyce Meyer, Pastor Daddy, Sheri, her family, people who live by rules and morality...FOOLED YA!

So how’d that work out for you, Chris?

Life in prison is the ultimate cage. But, think of it, if he wants to keep Daddy Pastor sending candy-bar money and preaching about his innocence...he has to spend his prison days as The Good Boy again...”saving Souls”...talking the talk...pretending to be what I think...he most despises. Chris is as unfree a it gets. Forced to mouth words he reviles and profess a faith he fully rejected in the most heinous fashion two years ago.

I hope Coleman lives a long, long life.

robinparten
05-06-2011, 07:26 AM
I have a question about the penalty phase, sorry if this has been covered. I wish more than anything that he would get the death penalty, but I don't understand why they are even going after it. From what I understand, the governor has said he will commute all death sentences to life, even death sentences that are handed down for crimes that occurred before the law changed. So why go to the expense and trouble of going after the death penalty?

Alcina
05-06-2011, 07:28 AM
Wow stmarysmead, I think you nailed it, exactly!! Great post!

truecrimejunkie
05-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Life in prison is the ultimate cage. But, think of it, if he wants to keep Daddy Pastor sending candy-bar money and preaching about his innocence...he has to spend his prison days as The Good Boy again...”saving Souls”...talking the talk...pretending to be what I think...he most despises. Chris is as unfree a it gets. Forced to mouth words he reviles and profess a faith he fully rejected in the most heinous fashion two years ago.

I hope Coleman lives a long, long life.

Thats great. I'll think about that when I see him on TV clutching his bible doing his interviews with the murder mystery shows talking about his innocence and all the souls he's saved in prison.

Brian5671
05-06-2011, 08:29 AM
my 2 cents on it all.
1. Too much evidence to overcome-even if you toss out half the evidence, there's still enough to convict. While we all worried a bit about a mistrial or innocent verdict, the reality is that there was a 99% chance of a guilty verdict.
2. Appeal by CC and his defense team? Forget it-this was an open and **** case with little in the way of controversy or jury misconduct. Jury looked long and hard at the evidence and as much as we all despise CC, he deserves a fair trial and fair look at the evidence...after all if I were on a jury and faced with putting someone away forever, I'd want to make sure I scrutinized the evidence and was 100% sure.... Coleman will never see the light of day again and will likely be brutalized in a general prison population.
3. Will be interesting to see what happens with the civil suit--I'd be JMM settles for a tidy sum out of court. And hopefully Coleman will be hit with a sizeable financial figure so that he nor his family can ever profit from this tragedy.
4. Closure for Sherri's family? Yes, to a degree, but they've still lost their daughter who they will never see again and 2 children who they will never get to see grow up...that's the ultimate sadness here.
5. Closure for the rest of us-yes to the same degree-while most never met Sherri or the boys-we just cannot imagine having the sick mind to kill your wife and young children....
6. Stupidity by CC--obviously not that smart to think he could get away with this--it was a poorly planned sequence--his arrogance and narcissism likely got in the way too--he also could not have imagined the attention the case would get or that the major crime squad would get involved....a stupid risk to chance your life on a triple murder and trying to get away with it. He could have walked away from his plann or walked away from sherri and his family--the latter 2 choices would have caused grief, but not the unimaginable grief of his grand plan...
7. Good riddance to CC-let's all forget about him in prison and be glad he is off the streets of our great country.

stmarysmead
05-06-2011, 08:58 AM
Will they be back in court today?

luvhockey
05-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Bill McClellan's write up (http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/columns/bill-mcclellan/article_c09bcfc7-31ca-5569-9348-ddc01c97b913.html) after the verdict.

I especially like this line about the defense attorney
In a sense, it was a closing argument version of a Chinese meal — it was tasty, but you're hungry half an hour later

JenniferTx
05-06-2011, 09:56 AM
I think the jury deliberated as long as they did because there had to be some wingnut on the jury....sure we will hear soon....I just hope the hold up will not stop them from handing down a death sentence. I usually don't get on the DP bandwagon but in this case I felt all along that he was guily. I never believed he wasn't responsible for this crime. He thought he would fool LE with the writing of the red paint......guess what looser you lost and did a really bad job trying to make it look like someone else killed your family. :loser:

I just hope the jury will not have any mercy on his soul because he deserves none!

I am very happy with the guilty verdict and pray we will hear DP today. I see no logical reason why they should let this guy live the rest of his life in prison and waste money on feeding his sorry butt. I just want him dead. That is the only way I will feel that justice has been served for the family. He will be taking a quick trip down to hell for eternity!!!! burn baby burn!!!!

TallCoolOne
05-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Will they be back in court today?I think the article I read said at 10:00 Central time.

First, Thank you Stella for the text when the verdict came in. I would have been fretting about it all night at work had you not been so kind to do that for me. I can't tell you how much I appreciated that.

Talk about a whirlwind of emotions, if it feels like this for me I can't begin to imagine how Sheri's family and friends are feeling. Hopefully this will at least enable them to try to move forward in their lives instead of like they are treading water about to drown. I hope that they feel as if a bit of the weight that they have been carrying around for the past two years has lightened at least a bit.

Thank you to all of you who have stuck it out for the past two years and also to the new 'hats' who have joined in the meantime. Thank you for posting and keeping those of us who are not able to be here informed. I kind of want to have a group 'cyber hug', I know I could use one.

Brian, I'm sorry if I got snippy yesterday. There was no good excuse for it and I apologize for my bad behaviour.

Wrinkles, bless your heart. You've been here the whole time sharing the shock and sadness at what took place two years ago. That justice was handed down on the two year anniversary was to me, sureal and right.

I can't help but feel that there are a few others who also have a price to pay, but if it isn't in the legal sense, I hope it will be Karma. I hope the parish at Colemans church can now see that family sans the rose colored glasses and they are left with an empty offering plate. For people who profess themselves to be of the faith they sure let the devil do their bidding.

I'm going to refrain at the moment from making any comments concerning Chris' paramour, I don't trust my fingers at the present time to keeping it in the TOS and I like it here way to much to jeopardize my membership at the best website in the entire world. (I love this place!!)

What a week huh? First Bin Laden, then Brad Cooper and Chris Coleman both go down on the same day. Talk about a two-fer!! The only thing that possibly could have made this week any better for me would have been if Casey Anthony and drEWWWW (emphasis on the EWWWW) Peterson would have gone down as well. That would have been the icing on the cake. (Okay, stop talking about cake, that's making me hungry, now I need to go find something to eat and see if I can't get some sleep before work again tonight, ugh) Bet Chris wishes he could go grab some cake whenever he got the inkling for some..........

You know when I first came here it was before the crashes, when Laci was missing. I followed that case to the bitter end and after the emotional toll I claimed I was going to swear off following any more cases. Yeah, well I guess we know how that turned out, huh?

Well, whatever the jury decides for his fate is okay fine with me. I will feel satisfaction that he is and will remain where he deserves to be for the remainder of his miserable days.

You people are the best. I'm glad you're all here. We sure have a good group here, don't we?

Dawn512
05-06-2011, 10:30 AM
[QUOTE=BLU83;6440770]@who knew? ........

He sure did - and justice was served.[/QUOTE

Is the FB page private? I tried searching for it but cannot find it

who knew?
05-06-2011, 10:37 AM

blu is the one who has connections to the Coleman family FB - it isn't Ron and Connie, but cousins or something. Hopefully BLU will answer your question - I wondered also.

who knew?
05-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Wonder if Chris will continue with his cockiness (AKA OJ) and write a book - IF I did it...........

Wrinkles
05-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Howdy All,

Sitting here in the background, I have time stamped documents to get out today and they take major concentration :( Maybe someone can watch the news places and post us updates?

In the meanwhile, found this... (http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/morning-headlines-friday-may-6-2011)

>> Judge Milton Wharton asked jurors to return Friday morning at 10 a.m. for a separate hearing to consider Christopher Coleman's sentence. The hearing could last several days. <<

TigerBalm
05-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Chris Coleman's jury to consider death penalty
8:03 AM, May 6, 2011

Waterloo, IL (KSDK) - The jury that convicted a Columbia, Illinois man of murdering his wife and their two children, will meet for "phase two" of the tria at 10:00 a.m. Friday. During this phase, they will determine if Chris Coleman, 34, is eligible for the death penalty under Illinois law.

Lawyers in the case told jurors that they must consider three factors in determining if Coleman is eligible for death: premeditated, young victims, multiple murder. Lawyers have also said, that this case meets all three eligibility factors. Those involved in the case expect jurors only to meet for a brief time Friday, before concluding Coleman is eligible.

<snipped, much more in link>

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/257809/3/Chris-Colemans-jury-to-consider-death-penalty

TallCoolOne
05-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Hmmmm....... from zero to death in 60 seconds?

Ding! Ding! Times up!

*snap* *snap*

NEXT!

'Ailina
05-06-2011, 11:15 AM
If the governor has said he'll commute a death sentence, why is the prosecution still seeking it? (Not a rhetorical question...I'd like to understand the process/aim.)

TallCoolOne
05-06-2011, 11:30 AM
If the governor has said he'll commute a death sentence, why is the prosecution still seeking it? (Not a rhetorical question...I'd like to understand the process/aim.)Humph....... I live in Illinois and I can not for the life of me even begin to answer that one. (Because I don't get it either!) Sorry, no help.

So I would guess that the penatly phase is now underway. I trust my fellow addicts....... er.... ummm....... I mean posters will be so kind to post any updates that become available whilst I go see if my pillow is as comfy as it was yesterday afternoon when I left it.

Nighty night all.

Godbless Sheri, Garrett and Gavin

Cortne
05-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Wonder if Chris will continue with his cockiness (AKA OJ) and write a book - IF I did it...........

Haha I am sure he will.

Loser. lol

who knew?
05-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Is Chris Hayes or Nick Piclic covering this morning's info? Haven't seen any info and didn't know how long this will take (court session). I imagine the deliberation over dp will take no time since it's obvious this case meets the requirements. I wonder which Chris Coleman prefers - dp or lwp? Not much of a choice, huh?

Wrinkles
05-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Twitter to watch and seeing nothing so far:
http://twitter.com/#!/RyanJDean
http://twitter.com/#!/CaseyNolen
http://twitter.com/#!/ChrisHayesTV
http://www.chathousenews.com/2011/04/live-coleman-trial-updates.html

Video -- "Verdict Takes A Toll On Sheri Coleman's Friends and Family" (http://www.fox2now.com/videobeta/?watchId=920fc95a-a15c-40cc-89ca-c0c6bb78265d)

Video, Phase 2 of trial (http://www.ksdk.com/news/crime/article/257809/147/Chris-Colemans-jury-to-consider-death-penalty)

Ryan Dean speaks in the above video, says he will be at the 2nd Phase today

Edit: Dean said Judge told the jurors to treat this as a death penalty case. There is still a chance that he will get the death penalty. If the Gov commutes it, people could be very upset.

who knew?
05-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Thanks, W - we can always count on you and I appreciate your hard work tremendously!!!

TigerBalm
05-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Jury finds Coleman eligible for the DP, sentencing begins Monday!

ETA:
nickpistor: Jury finds Coleman eligible for death penalty #colemantrial #stl

UdbCrzy2
05-06-2011, 02:54 PM
I have a question about the penalty phase, sorry if this has been covered. I wish more than anything that he would get the death penalty, but I don't understand why they are even going after it. From what I understand, the governor has said he will commute all death sentences to life, even death sentences that are handed down for crimes that occurred before the law changed. So why go to the expense and trouble of going after the death penalty?

I think it had to do with the defense being able to use the remaining funds in the Illinois Capital Litigation Fund. It was about the money.

ynotdivein
05-06-2011, 02:57 PM
It is interesting, though, that if one juror had argued that he wasn't DP-eligible, the sentence would automatically have been LWOP.

UdbCrzy2
05-06-2011, 03:01 PM
It is interesting, though, that if one juror had argued that he wasn't DP-eligible, the sentence would automatically have been LWOP.

I think there are two aggravating factors that I can think of:
2-children were murdered.

Another might be that the children witnessed the murder of a family member and were in the house and within hearing distance of the murder.

Edit: Here is a link to Prosecutor talking about qualifying factors
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/article_1cd3070e-77e2-11e0-8230-001a4bcf6878.html

Wrinkles
05-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Hello UbCrazy2,

Thanks for the article.. It said this:

>>The jury had to consider if prosecutors proved one of three factors to make Coleman eligible for the death penalty: that the crime involved more than one death, or that it involved children under age of 12, or that it was cold-blooded and pre-meditated.

They quickly agreed that Coleman was eligible.

Coleman appeared dejected as Parkinson described the brutal nature of the crime. The prosecutor described the ligature marks around the necks of Sheri Coleman, 31, and their two sons, Garett, 11, and Gavin, 9, ...<<

All you have to do is read the list of 3 to see that CC is eligible for death. I could add to that list, someone who works so hard to try to pull off a hoax to do 3 murders and try to pull the wool over the eyes of society (creating email address of Phantom, writing fake threats, taking his wife to the alter as if he actually wanted prayer for his marriage a week or so before while house hunting with his girl and naming their children, calling his neighbor to check on the family and find them dead when he knew he had murdered them, lying during interrogation, thumping his arm on a gurney... ). Those things on top of everything else (not to mention pleading "not guilty" and putting innocents in a jury through watching what he did) kinda makes for a special jettisoned to death penalty and sudden injection, doesn't it?

Doesn't Chris deserve some type of special something for what he did? Oh and did I mention for adding insult to injury by putting the markers he did on those precious peoples' graves... Yes, Chris deserves something special.

gitana1
05-06-2011, 04:43 PM
This took me by surprise! I followed the case diligently when it first broke but then it seemed to be in a holding pattern for so long. I had no clue trial was underway. Every time I checked the thread, it just showed lawsuits by Joyce Ministries, or whatever. So I thought the trial was a long time away and stopped looking after awhile!

Needless to say, I'm very pleased. Wish there would have been cameras to catch Coleman's face as the verdict was read. He disgusts me.

BLU83
05-06-2011, 08:22 PM

Sorry - just logging in for the first time this busy, busy day...
I'm from the area the Coleman family lives in and have a few Coleman cousins as FB friends from previous relationships (worked with one for a few years, know another from similar social circles in HS, etc) -- a job I had in college put me in a position where I saw Ron and Connie every so often - so I know of the family from a semi-distance.

panthera
05-06-2011, 08:44 PM
While I was somewhat surprised they didn't reach a verdict earlier yesterday, it is good that they were very thorough with their deliberations, and I definitely believe they reached the correct verdict.

Finally there is some justice for Sheri, Garrett and Gavin.
:rose:

MOO

ELEEOZ
05-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Today was a good day for justice. Bless Sheri and her beautiful boys...and may her family find some peace in the verdict.

I agree. I really hope this can help their family begin to heal....

SMCG101
05-07-2011, 08:49 PM

It would not surprise me one bit but somehow he would have religion twined in there somehow. I am not sure what the exact definition of the term sociopath is but from what I think I understand he fits the bill.

Mr. Fixit
05-08-2011, 04:17 AM
Why do you think the jury deliberated as long as it did?

How do you feel about the guilty verdict?

Do you think they will hand down a death penalty?

1. One news reporter said there was one juror holding out. Sorry I can't find link. Also, my opinion is that the jury wanted to be thorough, since the evidence was all circumstantial, albeit overwhelming.

2. This was the right verdict. I would have been sick if he walked out a free man. But it doesn't bring back Sheri or those beautiful boys.

3. Yes, but the gov will commute the sentence to LWOP. I'm sorry that taxpayers will have to support this guy for the rest of his life, but more importantly, he won't be walking among us.

Mr. Fixit
05-08-2011, 04:43 AM
Sheri hoped to “convert” Tara to a life of faith and service, but it was Tara that converted Chris to a life of “being bad.” I think Tara was Chris strength to rebel...the threat letters calling Meyer a “hypocrite” were Chris venting at his employer, and the values he’d been raised with, the “goody-two-shoes” wife...everything that kept him, to his mind, caged in. Not free.

Hi, stmarysmead. Most of your post was insightful, but I have to respectfully disagree with some of what you wrote. I don't think Tara, as bad as she is, had to convert Chris to the dark side. He was already there. You mentioned the "values he'd been raised with." IMO, he was raised in an atmosphere of entitlement and religious hypocrisy. He thought that calling Myers a hypocrite (posing as a stalker) would stick because he already felt that way, and figured others did too. Even though he clearly saw the hypocrisy, it didn't bother him. He still wanted that lifestyle because the material and other advantages. Because of the feeling of entitlement, he thought he would get away with it.

The reason I feel he was raised in such an atmosphere is the actions and attitudes of his brothers. Especially Brad thinking he could get away with threatening a witness at the trial. He sort of did get away with it. Also there is the unwavering support of the parents in the face of overwhelming evidence that their son is guilty. Even after the convictions, Brad told the press, "He's still innocent in our eyes." IMO, this family knows he's guilty, but thinks that being religious should somehow exempt him from punishment. That's the way they raised their boys.

It's too late for Chris, but the rest of the Coleman family should go home and rethink their lives.

stmarysmead
05-08-2011, 08:05 AM
I think you make a great point, Mr. Fixit. I was astounded when the Defense tried to argue that Chris had to be innocent because of whom his parents were. There is no job profession that is exempt from producing evil spawn.(my opinion of Chris)

The argument reeked of arrogance and entitlement you describe.

Whether one calls himself a "pastor" or a "carnival barker", as the Bible says, it's not titles but actions that are how they define themselves...and how we will "know them"...one from another.

Palomine
05-08-2011, 08:40 AM
if there is no death penalty in Illinois ..what are they arguing?

LaLaw2000
05-08-2011, 05:16 PM
I was stuck in the Nancy Cooper murder trial and only read the media articles concerning this trial.

I so appreciate the guilty x3 verdict. I did follow the case in the beginning and for a very long time. Justice for Sherri and her precious boys has been done. The sad part is that nothing will bring them back.

GB Sherri's family and friends!

robinparten
05-09-2011, 07:47 AM
Hi, stmarysmead. Most of your post was insightful, but I have to respectfully disagree with some of what you wrote. I don't think Tara, as bad as she is, had to convert Chris to the dark side. He was already there. You mentioned the "values he'd been raised with." IMO, he was raised in an atmosphere of entitlement and religious hypocrisy. He thought that calling Myers a hypocrite (posing as a stalker) would stick because he already felt that way, and figured others did too. Even though he clearly saw the hypocrisy, it didn't bother him. He still wanted that lifestyle because the material and other advantages. Because of the feeling of entitlement, he thought he would get away with it.

The reason I feel he was raised in such an atmosphere is the actions and attitudes of his brothers. Especially Brad thinking he could get away with threatening a witness at the trial. He sort of did get away with it. Also there is the unwavering support of the parents in the face of overwhelming evidence that their son is guilty. Even after the convictions, Brad told the press, "He's still innocent in our eyes." IMO, this family knows he's guilty, but thinks that being religious should somehow exempt him from punishment. That's the way they raised their boys.

It's too late for Chris, but the rest of the Coleman family should go home and rethink their lives.

I think you are right, CC did feel entitled. Remember how he told Sheri that she and the kids were keeping him from his destiny? He probably felt that he had asked he about divorce, she refused to give him one, so he could do whatever he wanted to fulfill his "destiny." Since he is all about himself, he felt justified in his actions, as sick as that is.

Stella5
05-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Palomine... There still is a death penalty in Illinois until July 1st. However the Governor has said he will commute any death penalties imposed between now & then. Some legislators are extremely upset with him for doing a mass commute of sentences without reviewing each case, and this case is HUGE for warranting the DP. Let's hope they do convince him not to spare CC, but I doubt it.

Good Morning all! Had a self-imposed timeout from the internet the last few days... but today is a Great Day for a Death Sentence!!! I am most looking forward to the statements by the Coleman family on why CC should be spared. An article in the paper in the last days quoted one of the brothers as saying "He's still innocent in our eyes". Seriously??? After sitting through all the testimony, viewing photos of Sheri, Garett & Gavin's dead bodies how can they still say this? It's sickening! Today should be interesting to say the least.

stmarysmead
05-09-2011, 09:41 AM
I wish we could have read the closing arguments. The media seemed to indicate that the Prosecution argued that Coleman felt "trapped" between a promise of marriage to Tara and a stubborn wife...and that led to murder.

But the "threats" began barely a week after Tara "changed his life." He didn't even give getting a divorce a chance before he set in plan his murder plot. Why the death threats if he had any plan to end the marriage the conventional way? No, I think he needed to be rid of those children too.

To me, this is very compelling re: the death penalty.

Brian5671
05-09-2011, 10:19 AM
I wish we could have read the closing arguments. The media seemed to indicate that the Prosecution argued that Coleman felt "trapped" between a promise of marriage to Tara and a stubborn wife...and that led to murder.

But the "threats" began barely a week after Tara "changed his life." He didn't even give getting a divorce a chance before he set in plan his murder plot. Why the death threats if he had any plan to end the marriage the conventional way? No, I think he needed to be rid of those children too.

To me, this is very compelling re: the death penalty.

-
very good points. I think he likely had several "plans"...murder being one of them....

OneLove
05-09-2011, 02:42 PM
-
very good points. I think he likely had several "plans"...murder being one of them....

And who is to say that Tara isn't the one who gave him the idea to start with, thereby "changing his life" in a twinkling? His plans certainly seem to have started right away in their "relationship" (hard to even type that).

ETA: I feel fairly sure that there were plenty of other loose women who were available to "change his life" in the position he was in ( on the road most of the time) but maybe, just maybe, only ONE proposed such a thorough solution that he could live with.

stmarysmead
05-09-2011, 06:56 PM
A JUROR'S DESCRIPTION

Juror Kimberly Ferrari, a nurse in Pinckneyville, said jurors voted 8-4 for guilt early in their deliberations Wednesday, the first of two days they considered the case. Later that evening, she said, the vote for guilt had weakened to 7-5.

Ferrari said all 12 believed Coleman had done it, but those unwilling to vote for guilt were concerned by all the circumstantial evidence in the prosecution’s case.

"Nothing solid or concrete, no murder weapon," said Ferrari, who said she voted for guilt throughout. She spoke to a reporter later in the afternoon at her home in Pinckneyville.

In the second day of deliberation on Thursday, jurors voted 9-3 for guilt, she said. What she described as the "ah ha moment" was their agreement that the dates listed on photographs on the cell phones of Coleman and his mistress, Tara Lintz of Largo, Fla., showed deception. Ferrari said photos of the two in romantic poses had been taken as early as October 2009, two months before Lintz testified the affair had begun.

She said the time stamps also showed that Coleman was deleting photos while police were interviewing him on the day of the murders. She said one of the holdouts pondered the photo dates and said, "Oh, my God." Once they agreed that photo dates were significant, they voted 12-0 for guilt, she said.

The jury reported it had reached a verdict about 7 p.m. Thursday after 15 hours of deliberation.

Of the holdouts, Ferrari said, "They all believed he did it. They were just tyring to figure it out."

Ferrari said one thing that surprised her was Lintz’ decision to testify while wearing the promise ring that Coleman gave her. "That was something," she said.

Ferrari said jurors also had agreed informally to recommend the death penalty, had they been given the chance to consider punishment.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/article_4474199e-7a42-11e0-8c64-0019bb30f31a.html

ynotdivein
05-09-2011, 06:59 PM
A JUROR'S DESCRIPTION

(snip)

She said the time stamps also showed that Coleman was deleting photos while police were interviewing him on the day of the murders. She said one of the holdouts pondered the photo dates and said, "Oh, my God." Once they agreed that photo dates were significant, they voted 12-0 for guilt, she said.

The jury reported it had reached a verdict about 7 p.m. Thursday after 15 hours of deliberation.

Of the holdouts, Ferrari said, "They all believed he did it. They were just tyring to figure it out."

Ferrari said one thing that surprised her was Lintz’ decision to testify while wearing the promise ring that Coleman gave her. "That was something," she said.

Ferrari said jurors also had agreed informally to recommend the death penalty, had they been given the chance to consider punishment.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/article_4474199e-7a42-11e0-8c64-0019bb30f31a.html

Respectfully snipped and bolded. Thank heavens for the good sense this jury showed.

robinparten
05-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Wow, fascinating article from the juror's perspective. Isn't circumstantial evidence supposed to be given equal weight? Are jurors instructed about that?

stmarysmead
05-10-2011, 06:01 AM
"In the second day of deliberation on Thursday, jurors voted 9-3 for guilt, she said. What she described as the "ah ha moment" was their agreement that the dates listed on photographs on the cell phones of Coleman and his mistress, Tara Lintz of Largo, Fla., showed deception. Ferrari said photos of the two in romantic poses had been taken as early as October 2009, two months before Lintz testified the affair had begun.

Why was it necessary for them to lie about when the affair began? The timing of the affair should be inconsequential...but it is somehow important enough for Tara to perjure herself in court.

I think there is much more here...and it involves Tara. That would explain the wearing of the Promise Ring to court.

Something just does not make sense. But I suppose we will never know.

stmarysmead
05-10-2011, 06:59 AM
http://www.fox2now.com/news/ktvi-coleman-juror-talks-trial-20110509,0,3401084.story

They will apparently have an extensive piece soon...with new details and interviews with Sheri's friends.