PDA

View Full Version : Penalty/Sentencing Phase

ynotdivein
05-06-2011, 02:55 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/article_1cd3070e-77e2-11e0-8230-001a4bcf6878.html

"Coleman appeared dejected as Parkinson described the brutal nature of the crime. The prosecutor described the ligature marks around the necks of Sheri Coleman, 31, and their two sons, Garett, 11, and Gavin, 9, and how Coleman plotted the murders since November, when he began a sexual relationship with a Florida cocktail waitress.

John O'Gara, a defense attorney, tried stressing to the jurors that they no longer have to be unanimous. If one had said Coleman wasn't eligible, the proceedings would have ended, and Coleman would have automatically gotten life in prison."

adnoid
05-06-2011, 03:03 PM
"Coleman appeared dejected..."

Good.

Brian5671
05-06-2011, 03:58 PM
dejected eh? Should have thought of that before he murdered 3 people...no one to blame except for himself....hope he has a lonely weekend thinking about what he has done...

jrb0124
05-06-2011, 05:18 PM
There's a limerick in there somewhere:

Coleman appeared dejected

...as he pondered himself injected,

RR0004
05-06-2011, 05:34 PM
There's a limerick in there somewhere:

...as he pondered himself injected,
Have they made a decision?

ETA: nevermind DP eligible.

Fairy1
05-06-2011, 08:00 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/article_1cd3070e-77e2-11e0-8230-001a4bcf6878.html

"Coleman appeared dejected as Parkinson described the brutal nature of the crime. The prosecutor described the ligature marks around the necks of Sheri Coleman, 31, and their two sons, Garett, 11, and Gavin, 9, and how Coleman plotted the murders since November, when he began a sexual relationship with a Florida cocktail waitress.

John O'Gara, a defense attorney, tried stressing to the jurors that they no longer have to be unanimous. If one had said Coleman wasn't eligible, the proceedings would have ended, and Coleman would have automatically gotten life in prison."

You know, after seeing that disgusting smirk on his face in the cop car yesterday pre-verdict, I think he honestly believed himself to be smarter than everyone else right up till he heard "GUILTY - GUILTY - GUILTY!"

He must have been shocked.

Wonder where that promise ring is today?

panthera
05-06-2011, 08:40 PM
"Coleman will be back in court Monday at 10am. The state may not call many witnesses. They've proved their case but Monday and Tuesday may come down more to the defense convincing the jury Chris Coleman has a reason to live."

http://www.kplr11.com/news/ktvi-coleman-eligible-death-penalty-050611,0,4004741.story

Very appropriate wording, imo. I believe the jury will have to hear something powerful to convince them he should not receive the DP - even if it is in "name only" and never carried out. MOO

Wrinkles
05-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Okeydokey...

I'm biting on the limerick -- who's going to top it off?

JRB, you? How about you Adnoid?

Coleman appeared dejected (the news)
as he pondered himself injected (jrb0124)
Have they made a decision? (RR0004)
Can we use nu'clear fission? (Wrinkles)

Fairy1
05-06-2011, 08:48 PM
"Coleman will be back in court Monday at 10am. The state may not call many witnesses. They've proved their case but Monday and Tuesday may come down more to the defense convincing the jury Chris Coleman has a reason to live."

http://www.kplr11.com/news/ktvi-coleman-eligible-death-penalty-050611,0,4004741.story

Very appropriate wording, imo. I believe the jury will have to hear something powerful to convince them he should not receive the DP - even if it is in "name only" and never carried out. MOO

I can't imagine what they could say. I can recall few cases in which there was such cold, calculated premeditation. I suppose they could use TL as an example of what he has to live for but, somehow, I just don't think that'll help.

Wrinkles
05-06-2011, 08:54 PM
So....

Thank you for the link Panthera... Reading there:

>>Coleman's defense attorney John O'Gara approached the jury very soft spoken telling them that, "Everyone respects your decision." He attempted to persuade them to end it all. Now saying "If you don't unanimously agree, that concludes your jury service."<<

Can you just hear some of them thinking? "Yeah right, I am so bent out of shape about jury service that I'm not going to stick around to make sure this guy gets what he deserves? Nah..."

Chris Hayes reported:

>>Coleman will be back in court Monday at 10am. The state may not call many witnesses. They've proved their case but Monday and Tuesday may come down more to the defense convincing the jury Chris Coleman has a reason to live.<<

Well Chris, I think it might come down to something very interesting -- and maybe something VERY boring.

This was a big deal in the defense interviewing the jurors, "Look at him, look, if you found Chris guilty of the murders of his wife and children, could you be open minded about listening to arguments for life in prison?" (maybe he added, "instead of the death penalty?") Yah...really, that was some of the questioning -- he had the prospective jurors look at Chris sitting only feet from them and then asked them that question (or something just like it.)

Would the defense try to guilt them? Would he dare?

Would he say something about his jail house evangelism? Oh man...

What arguments will he use, and I might guess go on and on and on with to try and sway the jury to give the guy life in prison instead of the death penalty?

panthera
05-06-2011, 09:12 PM
So....

Thank you for the link Panthera... Reading there:

(respectfully snipped)

Would he say something about his jail house evangelism? Oh man...

What arguments will he use, and I might guess go on and on and on with to try and sway the jury to give the guy life in prison instead of the death penalty?
You're welcome! Addressing his jail house evangelism: he was employed for Joyce Meyer Ministries when he committed these murders. I seriously doubt if the defense brings up the topic of him ministering to inmates it will hold any ground with the jury; in fact they might find it almost laughable. Another thing is that during most penalty phases when the defense addresses why the convicted murderer should be spared the DP it is usually so that his/her children won't have him/her taken away from them. Another moot point here since Coleman murdered his two children, in addition to his wife. Therefore, I honestly can't think of one reason that may spare him. MOO

Fairy1
05-06-2011, 09:22 PM
You're welcome! Addressing his jail house evangelism: he was employed for Joyce Meyer Ministries when he committed these murders. I seriously doubt if the defense brings up the topic of him ministering to inmates it will hold any ground with the jury; in fact they might find it almost laughable. Another thing is that during most penalty phases when the defense addresses why the convicted murderer should be spared the DP it is usually so that his/her children won't have him/her taken away from them. Another moot point here since Coleman murdered his two children, in addition to his wife. Therefore, I honestly can't think of one reason that may spare him. MOO

Exactly what I was thinking! But I swear, if they even attempt to use his "religious background" to help his cause, I will toss my cookies. I can't begin to imagine a more sickening, hypocritical scenario.

panthera
05-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Exactly what I was thinking! But I swear, if they even attempt to use his "religious background" to help his cause, I will toss my cookies. I can't begin to imagine a more sickening, hypocritical scenario.

I believe that would certainly negate any possible thoughts a juror may have for sparing his life. In some states it hasn't even worked (or spared an inmate lethal injection) when an inmate truly did convert to Christianity while in prison; therefore, how much worse it is when someone supposedly already was one when he committed the murders. MOO

CCmakes3
05-06-2011, 11:33 PM

Maybe they'll get someone from Grace Church to read the letters of support that the Sunday school kids were forced to write to him. After all, how could the jury ignore all those precious children who "believe" in CC's innocence and destroy their faith in a merciful God? :boohoo:

who knew?
05-07-2011, 12:22 AM
I wish this part of the trial could be televised! I'd love to see who says what about the devout CHRIStian. Hopefully someone will be able to write word for word what is said. OTOH, I'd think Sheri's mom and brother would be saying something and Kathy LaPlante ought to be allowed to speak as to Chris's value to society.

Wrinkles
05-07-2011, 12:32 AM
Hiya All,

Thought I would hop in with note of a video wherein Chris Hayes interviews author Cuneo. (http://www.fox2now.com/videobeta/15fa77b7-e1d0-4db7-80c6-8dd41edb8e09/News/Author-Michael-Cuneo-reaction-to-Coleman-Verdict) You might want to hear some of their reactions -- not about the penalty phase, but about the verdict night.

At anyrate, I hadn't seen this but thought Cuneo's comment about the crowd clapping, but he didn't hear screaming for blood letting (so to speak). They applauded, but it was like it was an applause of relief. I found that interesting, and so did Cuneo.

Wrinkles
05-07-2011, 12:36 AM
Here is another video with Chris and Cuneo (http://www.fox2now.com/videobeta/1141a6d1-1390-4de9-9168-fb80701a4381/News/Author-Michael-Cuneo-take-on-the-Coleman-Trial-and-Verdict)

Cuneo mentions the class in which Sheri's family comported themselves at the reading of the verdict. It was like a very quiet jubilation, he says... That kinda reminds me of the class of Laci Peterson's mom...

chicoliving
05-07-2011, 01:01 AM
Wasn't he a marine?

panthera
05-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Wasn't he a marine?

Yes I believe so.

luvhockey
05-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Interesting video from Fox2 (http://www.fox2now.com/news/morningshow/ktvi-chet-pleban-the-coleman-verdict-20110506,0,581784.story) with Chet Pleban a well known semi controversial lawyer in the St Louis area. I loved his remark at the end that maybe the defense should've been 'no one could be this stupid' :applause:

who knew?
05-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Interesting video from Fox2 (http://www.fox2now.com/news/morningshow/ktvi-chet-pleban-the-coleman-verdict-20110506,0,581784.story) with Chet Pleban a well known semi controversial lawyer in the St Louis area. I loved his remark at the end that maybe the defense should've been 'no one could be this stupid' :applause:

:floorlaugh:
Apparently the news anchors didn't want to go "there"!! I LOVED it! Plebin spoke the truth!

SMCG101
05-07-2011, 08:40 PM
You know, after seeing that disgusting smirk on his face in the cop car yesterday pre-verdict, I think he honestly believed himself to be smarter than everyone else right up till he heard "GUILTY - GUILTY - GUILTY!"

He must have been shocked.

Wonder where that promise ring is today?

LOL..Tara Lintz better try and hock that claw machine promise ring:great:

Brian5671
05-09-2011, 11:30 AM

classic! Maybe that was part of CC's MO--that no one would think it was him since it was so obvious that it WAS him....

who knew?
05-09-2011, 12:45 PM
nickpistor Nicholas J.C. Pistor
Coleman waives death penalty hearing; judge will sentence him at 1 #colemantrial

Haven't heard whether or not his family pled for him to be given life rather than death.

Stella5
05-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Decision is due at 1 p.m. I don't know whether to be shocked or not at CC's decision to not have a hearing. Was it to spare his family of testifying and pleading his case? Or was it because he's afraid of the jury who has already found him Guilty x3?

Brian5671
05-09-2011, 01:02 PM
that is very surprising....probably didnt want to put his parents through it?
Also-does Sheri's family get to speak?

who knew?
05-09-2011, 01:03 PM
News said he waived his right to have a jury decide his fate. The judge told him that he knew more about this case than the jury and asked if he realized this and if it was still his choice to waive the jury trial.

My guess is that the judge was telling him he will give him the death penalty. Maybe that's what Chris prefers at this point. We'll know at 1:00.

who knew?
05-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Chris Hayes on Fox2
‎#colemantrial Coleman swallowed hard when attorney described "6x11 coffin (cell) with another man 23 hours a day, subjected to his cruelties

Chris said he looked at Chris C and he seemed to swallow hard at his piece of info............. :)

Brian5671
05-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Chris Hayes on Fox2
‎#colemantrial Coleman swallowed hard when attorney described "6x11 coffin (cell) with another man 23 hours a day, subjected to his cruelties

Chris said he looked at Chris C and he seemed to swallow hard at his piece of info............. :)

-
music to all of our ears-he will live like a caged animal the rest of his pathetic life...

who knew?
05-09-2011, 01:15 PM
http://www.fox2now.com/news/coleman/

According to Fox2, this afternoon his family and mental health experts will testify as to why his life should be spared. I thought he would be SENTENCED at 1:00? Apparently not?

Brian5671
05-09-2011, 01:18 PM
http://www.fox2now.com/news/coleman/

According to Fox2, this afternoon his family and mental health experts will testify as to why his life should be spared. I thought he would be SENTENCED at 1:00? Apparently not?

I think that was prior to him waiving the hearing--if the hearing went on, then they would testify

who knew?
05-09-2011, 01:36 PM
ChrisHayesTV Chris Hayes
#colemantrial Convict may not have wanted to sit through 2 days & many witnesses talking about him.

Stella5
05-09-2011, 01:42 PM
News said he waived his right to have a jury decide his fate. The judge told him that he knew more about this case than the jury and asked if he realized this and if it was still his choice to waive the jury trial.

I find this statement very interesting. What does the judge know and what has he seen that we haven't or the jury didn't? hhmmm....

As for the 1 p.m. decision time, that is my understanding from what the news is reporting. We shall see... however I would love to hear the Coleman family and others trying to plead his case. I also strongly believe Sheri's family should be allowed to make a victim's impact statement directly to CC.

Brian5671
05-09-2011, 01:46 PM
so by tonight, CC is locked up forever-never to come to court again...

shefner
05-09-2011, 01:47 PM
I think he will get the death penalty. I think the judge may be referring to things the jury was not allowed to hear but we caught a hint of...such as the fact that Coleman "beat" his wife (which one of Sheri's friends alluded to but it was stricken from the record), etc.

shefner
05-09-2011, 01:52 PM
I have been following criminal cases for a long time, but it still blows my mind that a man (or woman for that matter) could kill their spouse and children for a "sex kitten." I know that people make bad choices...and maybe leave their families and betray their families and do crazy things....but to kill them with your own hands? I can hardly conceive it.....

If there was ever a death penalty case, this one is it....

who knew?
05-09-2011, 01:54 PM
I think he will get the death penalty. I think the judge may be referring to things the jury was not allowed to hear but we caught a hint of...such as the fact that Coleman "beat" his wife (which one of Sheri's friends alluded to but it was stricken from the record), etc.

That's what I was thinking. I'm sure the judge knows more than the jury and the public knows. Plus the fact that he made such an issue of pointing out to Coleman that he knew more than the jury knew............... makes me think dp for sure.

I think Sheri's family ought to have a right to make a victims impact statement - and he shoud be made to make eye contact throughout the statement.

Stella5
05-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Life in Prison without the possibility of parole. Judge, you copped out!

Brian5671
05-09-2011, 02:41 PM

in some ways yes...but in some ways no--Life in prison means he goes into the general population vs death row which usually separated from the general population--let the prisoners take some whacks at CC. He will be one of the most infamous prisoners they have seen in awhile....

Stella5
05-09-2011, 02:55 PM
in some ways yes...but in some ways no--Life in prison means he goes into the general population vs death row which usually separated from the general population--let the prisoners take some whacks at CC. He will be one of the most infamous prisoners they have seen in awhile....

I somewhat agree with that, and this may end up being a death sentence for CC. The Judges statement earlier was more like a veiled threat, IMO, as it seemed to say I'm sentencing you to death are you really sure you want just me deciding this. I would like to see Judges & Legislators stand up to Quinn though. Sure the system was broken, so fix it! Cases like these deserve the DP.

OneLove
05-09-2011, 02:57 PM

My guess is that the judge was telling him he will give him the death penalty. Maybe that's what Chris prefers at this point. We'll know at 1:00.

If the judge knew more about the case than the jury, is their ANY possibility he has seen specific texts and emails from Tara? I am SOOOO wanting to know if there is damning evidence that she was the architect and Chris was the triggerman. (It would actually have been so much kinder if it HAD been a trigger rather than a cord, which again makes me wonder if Tara was the architect of the plan. She seemed to have enormous passive aggressive anger toward Sheri. I wonder what went on in their high school years as far as competitiveness, resentment, etc. )

who knew?
05-09-2011, 02:57 PM

I wanted the dp, but then thought I wanted life. I'm glad I didn't have to decide. In a way, I can see life is a rougher sentence on Chris. Death may have been rougher on his family. Either way - he's off the streets and no longer enjoying life.

Wonder if Tara will stand by her man................ :floorlaugh: Sorry -I couldnt resist. :innocent: Wonder how Chris will feel when Tara lands another sucker....... Wonder if she will send him letters, or just one dear john letter......... Wonder if he'll get a new "girlfriend" in prison. He is going to spend the last of his days being scared out of his wits. After all, he was only "man" enough to kill his small wife and two small children. Big ole' Bubba will be another story.........

jrb0124
05-09-2011, 02:59 PM

If Sheri & the boys could speak from the grave, I have no doubt that regardless of what he did to them - they would have plead against the DP for CC. That's the difference between those four human beings and why it sucks that humanity must suffer (even in a small way) the one still alive and lose the grace and potential of the three no longer with us.

Stella5
05-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Chris Hayes on Fox2
‎#colemantrial Judge Wharton said "death" would've been symbolic decision that would've offered "no closure."

I can understand his logic somewhat, but why show CC mercy when CC himself showed his family none? I hope Sheri's family has peace with the judges decision.

who knew?
05-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Chris Hayes on Fox2
‎#colemantrial Judge Wharton said "death" would've been symbolic decision that would've offered "no closure."

I can understand his logic somewhat, but why show CC mercy when CC himself showed his family none? I hope Sheri's family has peace with the judges decision.

I wonder if he consulted with them as to their wishes?

ynotdivein
05-09-2011, 03:17 PM
I've missed this today--WOW! What a terrifying prospect CC has in front of him now. No protective custody as he would have on death row. Just that coffin/cell, subject to the cruelties of his cellie. He must be well and truly terrified.

UdbCrzy2
05-09-2011, 04:45 PM
I think if he had gotten the DP, he may have had some special treatment such as having the sentenced commuted by Quinn. With LWOP, then he can get on with it and go into population quicker. Become a target sooner.

The lame duck session of IL Congress are the ones who voted to abolish the DP, Quinn just made it so when he did not veto it. He said he used the Bible to make that decision. Now, where is the separation of Church and State?

Brian5671
05-09-2011, 05:01 PM
I wonder if the judge figured that too-that it would a greater punishment in the short term to toss him into the general prison population....anyone hear where CC is headed for his permanent home?

Mr. Fixit
05-09-2011, 05:20 PM
This is the end of the road for me on this forum. Sheri was someone I loved. I have carried her picture in my wallet since she was a little girl. Thank you all for your insight, well-thought-out opinions, and for sharing news as it happened. Over the last two years, I often learned of developments in the case from this forum before I saw it anywhere else. I feel like you people aren't just trying to solve crimes on the web, but that you really care about the victims and their families. You folks are special, but solving crimes is not my main interest. This particular case was a main interest for me, from the time I heard the horrible news to when I saw the innocent strangled bodies in their caskets to the time I listened to the jury read the guilty verdict. But now it's over, and I will move on. I wish you all the best.

adnoid
05-09-2011, 05:28 PM
This is the end of the road for me on this forum. Sheri was someone I loved. I have carried her picture in my wallet since she was a little girl. Thank you all for your insight, well-thought-out opinions, and for sharing news as it happened. Over the last two years, I often learned of developments in the case from this forum before I saw it anywhere else. I feel like you people aren't just trying to solve crimes on the web, but that you really care about the victims and their families. You folks are special, but solving crimes is not my main interest. This particular case was a main interest for me, from the time I heard the horrible news to when I saw the innocent strangled bodies in their caskets to the time I listened to the jury read the guilty verdict. But now it's over, and I will move on. I wish you all the best.

Thank you, and take care.

UdbCrzy2
05-09-2011, 05:34 PM
He's going to Joilet, IL to a prison called Stateville. Below is link to the article and prison
http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2011/05/09/death-penalty-may-be-grounds-for-appeal-in-coleman-case/

Stateville Correctional Complex
http://www.idoc.state.il.us/subsections/facilities/information.asp?instchoice=sta

MSNBC Lock-up Raw did a show about Stateville. Below is Wikpedia link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stateville_Correctional_Center

Found a transcript and video of MSNBC Lockup at Stateville
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6928998/ns/msnbc_tv-about_msnbc_tv/t/msnbc-investigates-stateville-feb/

video
http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/lockup-inside-stateville/6eog8ec?cpkey=7e73984f-07f9-42bc-92cc-5ad2729dde39|||

Brian5671
05-09-2011, 06:55 PM

Best wishes--Sheri, the boys and her family will always be in my (our) prayers....

Kimster
05-09-2011, 07:00 PM

Thank you so much for your post! And yes, we really do care about Sheri and the boys! I look forward to meeting them in heaven someday. :rose:

I'm so glad you came here and shared with us, it means so much! :hug:

Kimster
05-09-2011, 07:02 PM
I've missed this today--WOW! What a terrifying prospect CC has in front of him now. No protective custody as he would have on death row. Just that coffin/cell, subject to the cruelties of his cellie. He must be well and truly terrified.

It doesn't hurt my feelings if he is terrified.

I'm so glad Sheri and the boys had their day in court and the jury saw the truth.

ynotdivein
05-09-2011, 07:07 PM
Garret and Gavin fell asleep every night safe in the knowledge that their mom and dad were there to protect them from harm. CC betrayed that innocent trust in the deepest possible way on the morning of May 5, 2008.

I am perfectly content to consider that CC may never again be able to sleep soundly without one eye open against impending danger.

Tricia
05-09-2011, 07:18 PM

Dear Mr. Fixit,

On behalf of Websleuths I want you to know how sorry we are for your loss. If by coming to the forum helped you in any way then we have done our job. Please know you are welcomed back at any time and if there is ever anything personally I can do for you please do not hesitate to email me.

Sincerely,
Tricia Griffith
Owner/Websleuths.com
tgrif@xmission.com

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````

panthera
05-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Justice is served. The description of the coffin-like cell 23 hours a day for the rest of CC's natural life would be terrifying indeed - a lot more so than facing the lethal injection and being able to escape the cruelty of prison life. :behindbar

Sheri, Garrett and Gavin - all of you can rest in peace now.
:rose:

MOO

UdbCrzy2
05-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Justice is served. The Judge's description of the coffin-like cell 23 hours a day for the rest of CC's natural life would be terrifying indeed - a lot more so than facing the lethal injection and being able to escape the cruelty of prison life. :behindbar

Sheri, Garrett and Gavin - all of you can rest in peace now.
:rose:

MOO

That's what O'Gara the Coleman defense attorney said, not the Judge:)

<<SNIP>>

Defense Attorney John OGara took thirty minutes to address the court saying, the juries verdict is a death sentence, adding, Chris Coleman will die in prison.
You know a life sentence condemns him to a six by eleven foot coffin where hell be with another man 23 hours a day. You know all too well what a horrible punishment it is to put a person in prison and know he will die there.

<<SNIP>>

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2011/05/09/death-penalty-may-be-grounds-for-appeal-in-coleman-case/

adnoid
05-09-2011, 08:28 PM
...CC may never again be able to sleep soundly without one eye open against impending danger.

Even both eyes won't help, unless they're in the back of his head. Just saying.

BLU83
05-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Garret and Gavin fell asleep every night safe in the knowledge that their mom and dad were there to protect them from harm. CC betrayed that innocent trust in the deepest possible way on the morning of May 5, 2008.

I am perfectly content to consider that CC may never again be able to sleep soundly without one eye open against impending danger.

Worded perfectly. Well said.

I know it would never happen, but my wish would have been for CC to have to endure the exact pain and manner of death he forced upon his own flesh and blood. Even that would be too good for him.

Fairy1
05-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Well, I'm not really disappointed with this sentence. Death would be too easy and I've no doubt CC still believes he'll go to heaven. Of course, I've no such delusions and I've no interest in his finding any comfort in even the thought of leaving this earth.

It's fine by me if he lives a long life behind bars, forced to remember those three beautiful souls every day. I really wonder if he's figured out yet that it wasn't worth it and never would have been.

Brian5671
05-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Well, I'm not really disappointed with this sentence. Death would be too easy and I've no doubt CC still believes he'll go to heaven. Of course, I've no such delusions and I've no interest in his finding any comfort in even the thought of leaving this earth.

It's fine by me if he lives a long life behind bars, forced to remember those three beautiful souls every day. I really wonder if he's figured out yet that it wasn't worth it and never would have been.
-
I hope he wakes up one day and realizes what he has done...of course him being a classic sociopath, I don't know that he has the ability to care...

Fairy1
05-09-2011, 09:46 PM
-
I hope he wakes up one day and realizes what he has done...of course him being a classic sociopath, I don't know that he has the ability to care...

Sadly, I'm sure you're right. So I'll take my comfort in the thought of him being locked up like the animal he is for the rest of his regrettable life.

passionflower
05-09-2011, 09:54 PM
IIRC, inmates have their own code of ethics.
IMO, CC is a child killer and many inmates may not like that at all.
I do hope CC fears everyday of his life and is reminded of the beautiful
loving family he cold bloodedly slaughtered for his freedom to have
another woman. He will have to meet his maker also one day.

robinparten
05-10-2011, 08:25 AM
I read the transcript on the prison CC will be at. It sounds really awful. Wonder how often he can have visitors? Wonder if Tara will come to visit?

TallCoolOne
05-10-2011, 08:36 AM
That's what O'Gara the Coleman defense attorney said, not the Judge:)

<<SNIP>>

Defense Attorney John O’Gara took thirty minutes to address the court saying, the juries verdict is a death sentence, adding, Chris Coleman will die in prison.
“You know a life sentence condemns him to a six by eleven foot coffin where he’ll be with another man 23 hours a day. You know all too well what a horrible punishment it is to put a person in prison and know he will die there.”

<<SNIP>>

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2011/05/09/death-penalty-may-be-grounds-for-appeal-in-coleman-case/Hmmmm....... sorry, but it seems to me that Chris should probably have thought about that prior to taking the lives of his wife and two sons. Does Mr. O'Gara think that by saying this it would garner sympathy for poor widdle Chris? Well Mr. O'Gara, it does nothing to stir a shred of sympathy from me, that's for certain.

I for one am glad that Chris Coleman will be where he deserves to be for the remainder of his sad life. I hope he's haunted daily for what he did. Too bad he wasn't man enough to face up to it and admit his wrong doings.

I hope that the sounds of cell doors closing makes cold shivers run down his spine.

Buh buh now Chris Coleman. I'm sure Tara will write you..... (off that is....)

truecrimejunkie
05-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Kinda knew this would happen, Coleman's attys are going to appeal. How much money is going to be wasted on this case?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-il-familystrangled-a,0,5097085.story

WATERLOO, Ill. An attorney for a former Marine convicted of strangling his wife and their two sons says they will appeal his sentence of life in prison.

JenniferTx
05-10-2011, 09:37 AM
Glad to know that he will be suffering with his demons the rest of his pathetic life behind bars. I wanted the DP in this case but that might have just been an easy way out for this loser. Knowing that he will be spending the rest of his life behind bars serves justice to his murdered family. Don't drop the soap sucker!!!!

EnvoyDriver61
05-10-2011, 09:43 AM
I wonder what is left to appeal.

The defense surely didn't put up much of a defense at the trial. There isn't any late breaking witnesses who can suddenly vouch for CC's whereabouts at a much earlier time frame in the evening. Did CC all of a sudden remember that he stayed and helped the ice cream vendor close up and sent his family home where the real killer awaited them?

He cooked his own goose. His attorney admittedly had a weak case to begin with. Their only real choice is to somehow explain how rigor mortis was inexplicably hastened in that one house on that one day that would allow for the bodies to be found in that state after having been killed shortly after CC left to go to the gym (i.e., in a fairy-tale world defined by a different set of physics than this world).

The weak defense at first made me believe they may have paid someone off on the jury. My heart kept sinking each day the jury deliberated longer and the Coleman family posting that God would deliver their reprobate son somehow just made me fear more that some underhanded actions must have gone on.

who knew?
05-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Kinda knew this would happen, Coleman's attys are going to appeal. How much money is going to be wasted on this case?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-il-familystrangled-a,0,5097085.story

WATERLOO, Ill. An attorney for a former Marine convicted of strangling his wife and their two sons says they will appeal his sentence of life in prison.

He's guilty ----- he KNOWS he's guilty ---- His attorneys know he's guilty ---- his parents SHOULD know he's guilty. I know it's pretty much a given that there is an appeal on a guilty verdict - but he should have to pay for his own defense. Maybe that would put an end to it.

Boy, would I LOVE to be on the jury for the next one. No way would this baby-killer get off. And his not-so-Christian parents should just tell him to give it up. Admit, repent and pay the price.

Brian5671
05-10-2011, 11:37 AM
an appeal has close to no chance here...no new info, no misconduct, CC will likely never smell freedom again.
-
if he goes to Joliet, his visitors will be few and far between--good distance from his family in SW Illinois...hope he enjoys cleaning toilets and if he's lucky-maybe a highway cleanup project...

TallCoolOne
05-11-2011, 08:54 AM
an appeal has close to no chance here...no new info, no misconduct, CC will likely never smell freedom again.
-
if he goes to Joliet, his visitors will be few and far between--good distance from his family in SW Illinois...hope he enjoys cleaning toilets and if he's lucky-maybe a highway cleanup project...You're right. In order for him to be granted an appeal, there has to be something solid to appeal. Since he did not get the Death Penalty, an appeal is not automatic.

Yeah, good luck with that one fellas. He's staying right where he belongs.

You think he'll go to Joliet, or Big Muddy. Isn't Big Muddy fairly close to where he is?

Get comfy Chris, you're going to be there for a long time........ at least until there is jailhouse justice, that is......... then, buh, buh.

who knew?
05-11-2011, 12:04 PM
He is in Pontiac Correctional Center http://idoc.state.il.us/
Do an inmate search, last name followed by a comma, then first name.

There are 4 Christopher Coleman's - he is the one with the birthdate of 3-20-77.

who knew?
05-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Pontiac Correctional Center
Opened: June 1871
*Operational Capacity: 2,152
Level 1 Maximum Adult Male
*Current Population: 1,656
Average Age: 34
Average Annual Cost Per Inmate: $33,031.00

The facility consists of a total of 63 buildings, which comprise of more than 744,000 square feet. The facility sits on a 37-acre site, with 32 acres being enclosed by fencing. Pontiac Correctional Center houses the following offenders: segregation, condemned protective custody, mental health, administrative detention reintegration management and medium security.

http://idoc.state.il.us/subsections/facilities/information.asp?instchoice=pon

Brian5671
05-11-2011, 12:24 PM
wow-check out his mug shot--looks like hell-did someone punch him already?
-
http://idoc.state.il.us/subsections/search/inms.asp
-
where is this facility in relation to Columbia?

Stella5
05-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Oops should have checked this thread first for CC's intake info & new mugshot... I did a new thread. Darn!

As for the appeal, it will be very interesting to see what they come up with next week. I would think Judge Wharton would reject it, then it will go to Court of Appeals. The great thing is no more public money for CC... this has to come out of his own pocket, or should I say Grace Church's collection plates?!?!

Stella5
05-11-2011, 01:23 PM
Pontiac Correctional Center
Opened: June 1871
*Operational Capacity: 2,152
Level 1 Maximum Adult Male
*Current Population: 1,656
Average Age: 34
Average Annual Cost Per Inmate: $33,031.00

The facility consists of a total of 63 buildings, which comprise of more than 744,000 square feet. The facility sits on a 37-acre site, with 32 acres being enclosed by fencing. Pontiac Correctional Center houses the following offenders: segregation, condemned protective custody, mental health, administrative detention reintegration management and medium security.

http://idoc.state.il.us/subsections/facilities/information.asp?instchoice=pon

It is a super scary looking place... I wouldn't want to be there! I have to go right past Pontiac on June 2nd for my sisters wedding weekend in Chi-Town... I'll take some pics for everyone.

Brian5671
05-11-2011, 01:32 PM
It is a super scary looking place... I wouldn't want to be there! I have to go right past Pontiac on June 2nd for my sisters wedding weekend in Chi-Town... I'll take some pics for everyone.
excellent-thank you!

who knew?
05-11-2011, 03:41 PM

That would be great - I'm sure Chris would LOVE to have company. Maybe you can set up a meeting!! JK!

UdbCrzy2
05-11-2011, 03:53 PM
I don't care where he is going just as long as he is going...

Brian5671
05-11-2011, 04:14 PM
best part of his intake info at the prision:
projected discharge date: INELIGIBLE:woohoo:

anyone know why he has to register as a sex offender?

who knew?
05-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Because there isn't a separate registration for child murderers. Since he murdered the children, he has to register on the sex offender list and it will be noted it was murder. However - he will never be out anyway. :)