PDA

View Full Version : TN - Gail Nowacki Palmgren, 44, Signal Mountain, 30 April 2011 - #2

Pages : [1] 2 3

imamaze
05-16-2011, 08:07 PM
Gail Nowacki Palmgren is missing as of 4/30/11 from Signal Mountain TN.
She is driving a Jeep Rubicon, 4 door, Red, with AL license plate number "Eazy St" .
Gail is 5'8", blond hair, 135 lbs. Call Signal Mountain PD at 423-886-2124

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3550_5.gif

WRCB TV (http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=14595650)
http://wrcb.images.worldnow.com/images/14595650_BG1.JPG
http://wrcb.images.worldnow.com/images/14595650_BG2.JPG

Thread #1 (http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6497243&posted=1#post6497243)

Media Links

Timeline

daisy7
05-16-2011, 08:12 PM
I wouldn't read TOO much into the "connection" verbiage. Connection means, it's happening as we speak. He's too distracted to work. They're not passing judgment. So, he's taking time away from the job. This could have been at his request. Now if they'd said, "administrative leave without pay" (specifically, but they did not) - I could read more into the affair with a coworker/disciplinary leave idea ...

They also didn't say administrative leave WITH pay. Also, anytime I've read that someone was "placed" on administrative leave, it was not at the request of the employee. Now, if he had taken a leave of absence, that would be much different than placed on administrative leave. JMO.

ITD
05-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Or Family Medical Leave.

fran
05-16-2011, 08:15 PM
So, we know from Gail's neighbor, her husband was having an affair with a co-worker.

We also learn that the neighbor CONFIRMS her SUSIPICIONS also, that Gail MAYBE was being followed. The NEIGHBOR WITNESSED the suspicious car Gail was speaking of, on MORE than one occasion.

As far as the husband saying Gail had 'mental problems,' he's PROBABLY been trying to tell her she's paranoid about him having and affair and then denying it, and then SOMEONE APPEARS to MAYBE be following her as witnessed by the neighbor.

Yep! This is how they start. :(

JMHO
fran

NOW, WHERE IS GAIL!?

fran
05-16-2011, 08:18 PM
I really wouldn't read too much into the administrative leave thing. Brad Cooper's employer put him on administrative leave, with pay as well. Of course he could do some of his work at home, it was a high tech company.
I think it may be SOP, especially for the better paying jobs.

Of course, Brad Cooper never did get back to work. HE was just convicted of his wife's murder. :(

fran

whimdriven
05-16-2011, 08:19 PM
They also didn't say administrative leave WITH pay. Also, anytime I've read that someone was "placed" on administrative leave, it was not at the request of the employee. Now, if he had taken a leave of absence, that would be much different than placed on administrative leave. JMO.

Notice that it wasn't BCBST that made this announcement. As far as they're concerned, I'm sure whatever kind of leave, they're treating it as a typically private personnel/HR concern. So with or without, I don't think it's necessary to jump to huge conclusions based on a single statement made by his attorney.

Having worked in a few insurance companies in my time, I know that, generally, insurers are fiercely private with their ins/outs, and HR is no different.

hollyblue
05-16-2011, 08:41 PM
Anyone posting media links, please add to the Media Thread also for easy reference. TY

fran
05-16-2011, 08:53 PM
I think we need to bring today's news articles over here. Lots of good stuff.

The one thing that pops out at me in the article below, is the family, friends, and people who didn't even know Gail, are out handing out 10K flyers, and where is Matt?

According to what we know, since Gail has disappeared, Matt has reluctantly reported Gail missing...................Matt has sent his children to unknown locations.........................Matt has filed a restraining order and custody order and court order to access all monies............................Matt has hired a PI to look for Gail........................Matt doesn't allow Gail's family or anyone looking for his wife, to enter his home.........................Matt has been put on administrative leave.....................after the initial phone interview, Matt is refusing or leaving unanswered any further media comments..............

Uhmmmmmmm.................WHAT is Matt doing?

Just curious,
fran

http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=14655364

His attorney, Bryan Hoss, tells Channel 3 Matthew Palmgren has hired a private investigator to look for Gail, and is busy taking care of the couple's children.

One week after Gail went missing, Matthew Palmgren filed a restraining order against her and filed a motion for custody of their two kids.

Gail's family is choosing to focus only on the search, and not on the legal process.

"It's such a vast area with the woods, the mountains, the rivers and the lakes," said Dan Nichols, who is married to Gail Palmgren's sister, "you don't know where to turn."

jd3223
05-16-2011, 08:57 PM
Can a mod make the Click Here link on the front page come to thread #2?

Thanks,

JBean
05-16-2011, 09:19 PM
Can a mod make the Click Here link on the front page come to thread #2?

Thanks,
I think I fixed one, now have to work on the front page.

glorias
05-16-2011, 09:35 PM
Sorry to being confusing, glorias . . .

Let me try to clarify. My classmate, Michele, has a friend Jerry who has been working in Chattanooga for the last 18 months. He forwarded the flyer to about 35 people he has been working with. Some of those people may have forwarded it to people who work at BCBS. Later that afternoon, it was Jerry who received the phone call from an anonymous male at BCBS saying it was "embarrasing", etc. Hope that helps! (Let me know if it doesn't . . .)

Thank you MacGyver for the clarification! And the news today states he has a criminal defense lawyer and a friend says he was sleeping with someone at BCBS. I have to wonder if that was HIM calling people to say it was "embarrassing". It's no wonder he's on administrative leave from BCBS.

Speaking of which, others have speculated this before, but I personally believe Matt or someone close to him has been reading this thread from almost the beginning. Totally my opinion, not confirmed or anything of course.

revampz
05-16-2011, 10:00 PM
hubby too suss for my liking

ThoughtFox
05-16-2011, 10:01 PM
For anyone who has been worried that the local media isn't paying attention, well tonight there are articles on the three main network affiliate TV stations in Chattanooga.

Channel 3: Missing woman's friends: "We are the only ones looking" (http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=14655364)

A Jeep Rubicon, identical to the one Gail Palmgren was seen last driving, was parked at Walmart Monday to show volunteers what to look for.
"If you look at 25 or 30 vehicles going down the road, you are going to see one of these," said Steve Lyner, with a local dealership who donated the car for the afternoon.

...Matthew Palmgren's attorney confirms he has been placed on administrative leave from his job at Blue Cross, Blue Shield in connection to his wife's disappearance.

Matthew Palmgren has not been charged with a crime, or named as a suspect.

Channel 9: Search Continues for Gail Palmgren (http://www.newschannel9.com/news/palmgren-1001248-button-gail.html)

"I would keep seeing the same car coming in and just turning around and stopping at one of the houses. So that was strange in itself. So after she would say that, I I started thinking and I could believe that could be true," said (neighbor Susie) Button.

Palmgren also told Button about problems she was having with her husband.

"He was having an affair with a co-worker at Blue Cross Blue Shield," Button said.

Channel 12: Search Continues for Signal Mt. Housewife (http://wdef.com/news/search_continues_for_signal_mountain_housewife/05/2011)

Searchers fear the worst.

SUSIE BUTTON, NEIGHBOR & FRIEND "I feel like she left not willingly..I feel like something was going on. I knew things were going on at the house, I really believe she was scared of something. She would never leave her kids alone..this long."

redfish
05-16-2011, 10:02 PM
Thank you MacGyver for the clarification! And the news today states he has a criminal defense lawyer and a friend says he was sleeping with someone at BCBS. I have to wonder if that was HIM calling people to say it was "embarrassing". It's no wonder he's on administrative leave from BCBS.

Speaking of which, others have speculated this before, but I personally believe Matt or someone close to him has been reading this thread from almost the beginning. Totally my opinion, not confirmed or anything of course.

glorias, that would not be surprising at all. It happens all the time. I found this site years ago by googling a name in the news and never left! I would be more surprised to know he Had Not been here!

jrb0124
05-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Notice that it wasn't BCBST that made this announcement. As far as they're concerned, I'm sure whatever kind of leave, they're treating it as a typically private personnel/HR concern. So with or without, I don't think it's necessary to jump to huge conclusions based on a single statement made by his attorney

From the article linked above by fran (http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=14655364#), the attorney only confirmed the leave of absence - so I assume someone else put it out there first.

Additionally, I think it odd the way the article laid out that piece of information (bold and new article section header by news site):

--snip--

"Right now we just want to find Gail and right now a collaborative effort would be nice," said Gallivan.

POLICE INVESTIGATION

MP's attorney confirms he has been placed on administrative leave from his job at Blue Cross, Blue Shield in connection to his wife's disappearance.

MP..."

--snip--

Its probably not indicative of anything, but the writer adding this information under the "Police Investigation" section would imply (to someone not following the case too closely to jumpt to the conclusion you indicate) that MP is in the scope of the current police investigation, though not a suspect or POI at this time.

glorias
05-16-2011, 10:07 PM
According to what we know, since Gail has disappeared, Matt has reluctantly reported Gail missing...................Matt has sent his children to unknown locations

On the first thread earlier today, fbx said the kids were still attending school. We were also told a few days ago that the kids were with Matt's mother --<modsnip>
Unfortunately, fbx says it also looks like LE never searched the house or talked to the kids. Boy, I hope that it just looks that way and LE has talked to them! :maddening:

fran
05-16-2011, 10:21 PM
Geeeeeeeeeeee...........didn't hubby say she's done this before, to decompress, but always kept in contact with her kids?:rolleyes:

fran

http://www.newschannel9.com/news/palmgren-1001248-button-gail.html

"This is totally our of character. She's never done anything like this before. I don't care who tells you she has. She would never, ever leave her children of her own accord. Something must have frightened her. Something must have happened," said Susie Button, a friend and neighbor of Palmgren's.

........................snip...................... ......

The last time, Palmgren was even given the number to safe house. Days before she went missing, she confided in her friend that she felt someone was following her.

"I would keep seeing the same car coming in and just turning around and stopping at one of the houses. So that was strange in itself. So after she would say that, I I started thinking and I could believe that could be true," said Button.

Palmgren also told Button about problems she was having with her husband.

"He was having an affair with a co-worker at Blue Cross Blue Shield," Button said.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

fraudqueen
05-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Not sure how BCBS works....but I'm sure they want to remove themselves from this situation. Having employed people for 30 years for the government, all I can say is administrative leave was never ever the choice of the employee. It was only used in the case of jury duty or because the employer didn't want them there during a certain period of time. It's separate from vacation leave, personal leave, sick leave and even FMLA (family medical leave act-which IMO wouldn't apply here anyway since he's not sick and has no one in his family who is sick).
This whole case is very, very strange. I'm not taking sides, I can see it both ways. In the case of possible mental illness, trust me, that is something that is often well hidden except from the one person closest to you. I would like to know how many license plate numbers she actually wrote down, 1,2,3,....50? It would give us a lot of insight into weather it might be mental.
If they have NOT interviewed those children or searched the home....they really need to bring another LE agency into the picture....IMHO.

Irish_Eyes
05-16-2011, 10:37 PM
Does he have to give permission for them to interview the children?

sophieness
05-16-2011, 10:40 PM
the fact that he won't let her family into "his" house kind of cements it for me. I just can't imagine someone doing that who doesn't have anything to hide.

JBean
05-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Does he have to give permission for them to interview the children?
yes I believe he does.

fran
05-16-2011, 10:42 PM
I THINK it may depend on the state if they need his permission. I believe they do need his permission though.

We've watched several cases where the children, we KNEW had answers, but the parent wouldn't let LE talk to them.

Pity, it MAY have solved some of our 'cold' cases.

JMHO
fran

cluciano63
05-16-2011, 10:43 PM
Why do I keep thinking of Josh Powell...

JBean
05-16-2011, 10:47 PM
I think if Gail did indeed remove valuables and try to restrict his access to her accounts, she was in self preservation mode and was certainly trying to extricate herself from what sounds like a nightmare. i was just telling someone that I hoped she had taken desperate measures to get out while she was still able. But with each passing day that looks less and less likely.

Sleuthy1
05-16-2011, 10:54 PM
Best One Today http://www.newschannel9.com/news/palmgren-1001248-button-gail.html

Sleuthy1
05-16-2011, 10:57 PM
http://www.newschannel9.com/news/palmgren-1001248-button-gail.html (http://www.newschannel9.com/news/palmgren-1001248-button-gail.html VIDEO (best one today))

http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=14655364

http://wdef.com/news/search_continues_for_signal_mountain_housewife/05/2011

http://www.wdef.com/news/search_continues_for_signal_mountain_housewife/05/ (http://www.wdef.com/news/search_continues_for_signal_mountain_housewife/05/ VIDEO)

http://www.myfoxchattanooga.com/story/14651377/search-continues-for-missing-signal-mountain-woman

per_curiam
05-16-2011, 11:02 PM
Maybe Mr. P "stole" his own jewelry and had an accomplice to take it somewhere far from where they live to sell it. There are way too many zigs and zags in this whole scenario.

The neighbor who was telling that Mr. P was "having an affair w/BCBS co worker" seems to know a lot, but I'd have been scared to get up there and blab it out on TV. There may be scary repercussions for her!

With a bright red, noticeable car like Gail's, I feel that no doubt it was planned for her and the car to be at the bottom of a deep body of water. How else could you hide it?

ETA: If my scenario of Matt having someone to take the jewelrey away and sell it, somewhere far away, is true, then that would give Matt some fresh cash for paying his lawyer without having to write a check.

Maybe Matt even paid this "courier of the jewels" a nice little spot for the efforts! JMO

hollyblue
05-16-2011, 11:11 PM
the fact that he won't let her family into "his" house kind of cements it for me. I just can't imagine someone doing that who doesn't have anything to hide.

Maybe he's the one paranoid.....of someone taking things from the house? imo.

SuziQ
05-16-2011, 11:14 PM
Not for anyone to sleuth and find out, I'm curious as to what kind of car the PI or the GF drives?

hollyblue
05-16-2011, 11:14 PM
I THINK it may depend on the state if they need his permission. I believe they do need his permission though.

We've watched several cases where the children, we KNEW had answers, but the parent wouldn't let LE talk to them.

Pity, it MAY have solved some of our 'cold' cases.

JMHO
fran

Since GP is missing and with the DV calls, do you think CPS has had any part in the last two weeks?

fbx
05-16-2011, 11:18 PM
I would post the court docs if I could figure out how to do it....they wouldn't cut and paste into my WS post...they have the kids names and all of their ss#'s so I'd also need to edit them out because although they're public record I'm NOT comfortable with that. Could I email them to a moderator somehow???

The cellphone beeps were not at wal mart ...they are in the general area of wal mart...that means the bottom of the mountain someplace.

How do you find out if the police have done a vehicle search for TN etc...I mean, if they have even put out an alert for the car? Seems like surely they have...?

The last known sighting of Gail was not by SB (who is sure that Gail was driving)....One I know without doubt (the other I was told about as deffinate)...both have been reported to SMPD...but no update of the last known sighting has been made....Why on earth not??? It's this sort of thing that makes us wonder if anything official is being done.

SM police at first DID say things about the investigation and then...poof...nothing! Did detective Tizzio fall off the face of the earth??

Sleuthy1
05-16-2011, 11:19 PM
CALLIE STARNES Bio on the WRCBtv.com website - she says (my terminology) "she won't let sleeping dogs lie". She is on this story until the truth comes out....Thank you Callie....someone with guts ...to ask and get answered the tough questions http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8324043

JBean
05-16-2011, 11:20 PM
Click here for timeline information. If you have an addition to the timeline please leave a visitor message on the profile page of our dedicated member forums4justice

Click here for media links

MacGyver
05-16-2011, 11:23 PM
SM police at first DID say things about the investigation and then...poof...nothing! Did detective Tizzio fall off the face of the earth??

Word is that Detective Tizzio is only part-time on the case. Go figure.:banghead:

fbx
05-16-2011, 11:24 PM
The neighbor who was telling that Mr. P was "having an affair w/BCBS co worker" seems to know a lot, but I'd have been scared to get up there and blab it out on TV. There may be scary repercussions for her!

that's what a true friend does.

per_curiam
05-16-2011, 11:26 PM
Not that this has any reflection on the BCBS's of our country, BUT...I once worked for BCBS at the biggest one at the time. We called the guys like Matt P. "the guys upstairs". They had the perks, the works, fine offices, and with most corporate goings-on, a number of these guys had it made when it came to sneaking out for affairs with a co worker, or whatever, and they did plenty of it.

We knew who and what and at that time of my life, I found it shocking and a big letdown to know that such went on! In fact, one of these big shots got fired for sexual harassment from his job at BCBS, and that was back in the early days! I'm just recalling my days at the Big B, what went on and what we saw. I know that they must be more stealthy with affairs these days, but who knows?

I decided I had had enough when one of my "friends" got a job I had also applied for, and I was much more qualified. Turns out she was the guy's "honey". I guess I missed that one.

We would see "long lunches" (even though there was a nice cafeteria in the bldg.) where TWO of the "guys upstairs" would go for lunch, then a few minutes later, the woman of their choice would head out for a long lunch. The floors were open on our level, and we could see them come and go. It was really an eye opener.

ETA: And they were not going to the cafeteria! Our building was all glass, and we could see people and cars leaving. The snoops eventually found out for us: a motel! There were lots and lots of those in a university town. Now, this was back in the early 1980s, so it's been a while.

sophieness
05-16-2011, 11:28 PM
The neighbor who was telling that Mr. P was "having an affair w/BCBS co worker" seems to know a lot, but I'd have been scared to get up there and blab it out on TV. Theremay be scary repercussions for her!

that's what a true friend does.

I bet MP really appreciated that :) Things are closing in a little tighter...hope this case does not lose any momentum.

hollyblue
05-16-2011, 11:35 PM
the first thread earlier today, fbx said the kids were still attending school. We were also told a few days ago that the kids were with Matt's mother -- I guess that means Matt's mom lives in the area.

Matt's Mom does live in the area...bottom of the W...she's very nice, always around, helping with the kids activities and parties...y'know, when we mom's have to be in 2 places at once! She and Gail seemed to have a good relationship. You'd think from this that she'd be actively involved in searching and such...Matt's upset and busy with the kids after all...she could really help, you would think. Her NON-reaction to all this is as puzzling as her son's.

I would post the court docs if I could figure out how to do it....they wouldn't cut and paste into my WS post...they have the kids names and all of their ss#'s so I'd also need to edit them out because although they're public record I'm NOT comfortable with that. Could I email them to a moderator somehow???

The cellphone beeps were not at wal mart ...they are in the general area of wal mart...that means the bottom of the mountain someplace.

How do you find out if the police have done a vehicle search for TN etc...I mean, if they have even put out an alert for the car? Seems like surely they have...?

The last known sighting of Gail was not by SB (who is sure that Gail was driving)....One I know without doubt (the other I was told about as deffinate)...both have been reported to SMPD...but no update of the last known sighting has been made....Why on earth not??? It's this sort of thing that makes us wonder if anything official is being done.

Wish I could help you with the document problem, but ????? Can you edit somehow and then copy the URL and link it here or do you have a hard copy? If not can you just post the link ....court link? Or is it a pay per view?

Can you say if the other witnesses saw her on or off the mountain?

I'm not liking how this is going either.....but maybe/hopefully LE is gathering the info/leads they have (like AD from AL and her hard proof). With a missing person, one day is too long and they (LE) are talking about a week?

Be sure BCBS has talked with LE and their own lawyers maybe--for their best interests in how to handle it. Him being on leave...is huge, imo.

hollyblue
05-16-2011, 11:39 PM
Word is that Detective Tizzio is only part-time on the case. Go figure.:banghead:

Have you heard anything about the FBI or TBI being involved yet MacGyver? TY.

Pearl*
05-16-2011, 11:49 PM

I'm thinking Suck Creek Road then....

hollyblue
05-16-2011, 11:56 PM
I bet MP really appreciated that :) Things are closing in a little tighter...hope this case does not lose any momentum.

The "stalker"? Could be a friend of GP, or his GF, or a friend of the GF--doing her a favor. Could be a common thief just scoping out the neighborhood or someone scoping out the property next door? I am curious what this person looked like, male or female and why didn't she call LE if it was so mysterious?

Note. It's possible this whole other GF thing is just a trist for MP and not serious in his eyes, but hers, even if the marriage is kapoot~~. Let's face it, if he does have an alcohol problem, and she is knowledgable of it...doesn't say much about her and her choices. IMO Maybe she is still married also.

JMO

sophieness
05-17-2011, 12:18 AM
The "stalker"? Could be a friend of GP, or his GF, or a friend of the GF--doing her a favor. Could be a common thief just scoping out the neighborhood or someone scoping out the property next door? I am curious what this person looked like, male or female and why didn't she call LE if it was so mysterious?

Note. It's possible this whole other GF thing is just a trist for MP and not serious in his eyes, but hers, even if the marriage is kapoot~~. Let's face it, if he does have an alcohol problem, and she is knowledgable of it...doesn't say much about her and her choices. IMO Maybe she is still married also.

JMO

maybe bc she didn't have proof...maybe she doubted herself, was rattled, suspected she was being followed but did not know for sure...

sophieness
05-17-2011, 12:23 AM
if SB can relay the appearance of the car she would see on the street maybe one of the neighbors can relay a reason for it being there...if not it is possible it might be the car or one of the cars GP was worried about...as for girlfriends...well...all you have to do if watch a few crime shows to know that girlfriends/mistresses are sometimes involved in a wife's disappearance or foul play.

if the jeep is in water somewhere...it is too late for whoever put there to go back and get it now. if there is something in the house MP does not want seen...if it is big enough...also might be too late for him to get it out now with so many eyes on him. if GP is not found...all his actions will be questioned. if he has anything to hide hope he is gettin pretty nervous around now. if not, hope GP shows back up safe and sound and more clear headed and does not get taken for a ride in court by him. she has people, on her side.

JBean
05-17-2011, 12:47 AM

you can send them to me at jbeanwebsleuths@yahoo.com

You are right about the cell ping being in the general area of the base of the mountain. But that was 2 days after she left the kids off. So was she heading back up or coming back down? or was she with her phone at all?

Buzz Mills
05-17-2011, 01:13 AM
Saturday, April 30, 2011

12:15 pm: Gail brought children home to
40 Ridgerock Drive, Signal Mountain, TN 37377-2100
http://bit.ly/lVUChL
and left sans driver's license, credit cards
driving a Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon http://bit.ly/m7RYJA
any phone pings?

Matt P. said he was at his mothers (25 minutes away)
he proposed to meet Mrs. Palmgren at the residence on April 30,
http://bit.ly/m2koxT
but when he arrived (at what time?) she was gone,
having left the two children "by themselves without any supervision."

Monday, May 2, 2011

Third 911 call: Gail is reported as missing
Gail Palmgren http://bit.ly/m9mHfw

5:00 pm: WalMart area cell phone ping
Walmart 501 Signal Mountain Rd, Chattanooga, TN
http://bit.ly/ilncK7
which cell phone service did Gail have?

ATT Sprint Verizon Cell Towers
http://bit.ly/mT5X8h (scroll down, filter)

topo mao
http://bit.ly/j5LSV6

fran
05-17-2011, 02:05 AM
With each article printed today, we found bits and pieces of something we didn't know before.

My heart goes out to Gail's family. They seem like really nice people. You can tell that Gail was nice too, because she has wonderful friends who think the world of her.

JMHO
fran

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2011/may/17/missing-woman-search-continues-gail-palmgren/

The marriage of nearly 15 years was stressed.

Gail Palmgren lost her job at Novartis Pharmaceuticals in June 2010. She also suspected her husband was having an affair, according to friends and family, and had discovered hotel invoices from the DoubleTree hotel and a Hampton Inn in Chattanooga, invoices that showed his name and that he had paid in cash.

“There was talk about that. She had no proof at that point,” Nichols said. “She did mention she found some things and she was going to further investigate it. She may have found something. She could have gotten concrete proof.”

Matthew Palmgren, who changed his cellphone number since last week, could not be reached for comment on the search for Gail or respond to questions raised from the hotel invoices. Attempts to reach Bryan Hoss, Matthew Palmgren’s attorney, were unsuccessful Monday.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<more at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

fran
05-17-2011, 02:20 AM
Tell me this isn't looking worse and worse as the days go by. This is beginning to, well it already did, just more so now, look like the HUSBAND is somehow responsible for his wife's disappearance. It's also looking more and more, like LE isn't going to do a thing about it.

Why do I keep going back to the husband?

Let me tell you why:

1. Wife disappears without a trace and husband doesn't do a thing.
2. Husband reluctantly reports his wife missing upon the urging of his wife's family.....................but Gail had already been missing for two days!
3. Tells everyone that his wife has mental problems and is taking medication for depression and that she's done this before.
4. Husband refuses interview except for a brief statement on the phone.
5. Husband changed his cell phone number.
6. Husband hires an attorney and files for legal separation, child custody, and sole access to the family home.
7. Husband is NOT looking for his wife.

additionally:

Number of 911 DV calls responded to at the home, just prior to wife gone missing.
Neighbor of Gail's said she had a black eye a few weeks before she disappeared.
Wife was in fear of something.
Husband had a mistress and wife found proof of hotel get togethers where the husband paid cash.
Neighbor/friend of the wife, disputes the claim that Gail has done this before, take off, and said she doesn't care who said it.
Neighbor also saw strange car several times that points towards verification that Gail MAY have been followed on different occasions.

HOW MUCH MORE DOES LE NEED, BEFORE THEY DECIDE THEY HAVE ENOUGH PROBABLE CAUSE FOR SW'S?

Unbelieveable!

:(
JMHO
fran

hollyblue
05-17-2011, 02:34 AM
From Fran's link also:

Nichols said traces on Gail Palmgren’s cellphone directed police to an area near the north base of Signal Mountain. The last time there was activity on the cellphone was May 2, the same day the missing person’s report was filed, Nichols said.

Can any locals comment on exactly where that may be? On the other side of the mountain---from the Signal Mtn Rd WM area? TIA

thesaint
05-17-2011, 02:45 AM
That BCBS placed the husband on "Administrative Leave" and he's not simply taking time off for this tragedy or what have you could be significant.

Typically, Administrative Leave = paid time off until we verify facts that will ultimately lead to your firing. Cops involved in shady business, teachers involved with students, priests involved with altar boys...all pass through "Administrative Leave" before being terminated from their jobs completely.

Which suggests that there's some element to this with a nexus to the husband's workplace. You don't place someone on Administrative Leave (which is involuntary and mandatory, but paid) just because they have an unrelated to their job personal crisis. You have various other vacation and emergency leave options for that situation.

Perhaps the rumors of a workplace affair triggered the administrative leave, perhaps the husband has unknown issues at his workplace that triggered the Administrative Leave. Perhaps BCBS is simply clumsy in their handling of employees going through difficult personal times (seems unlikely for a company as attuned to HR issues as a health insurance company should be).

Initially it seemed as tho both Husband and Wife would be silly to spat over money as it seemed they have enough to go around with the promise of lengthy, lucrative careers to bring in much more.

But if the husband has reason to expect that his days of being a highly compensated executive in a major corporation are numbered, those six-figure bank accounts go from nice-to-have to critical life boats for someone accustomed to a certain lifestyle who's possibly about to lose their ability to earn at that level.

hollyblue
05-17-2011, 03:24 AM
If the affair was with someone that worked directly under him...that's a big problem, but it's a big boy's club atomosphere and he will survive, employment wise. Now if he is eventually named a POI in GP's disappearance...that's another story with a bigger hurdle to jump. As far as them having enough money to happliy go their separates ways without a problem....there is an emotional value at hand tied to it all I'm sure. Greed doesn't stop at any certain $ amount. Look at Bernie Matoff......it cost him his son.
imo.

Buzz Mills
05-17-2011, 03:37 AM
Saturday, April 29, 2011

driving a Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon http://bit.ly/m7RYJA
any phone pings?

http://bit.ly/kAOioC

if Gail left the home at 12:15 pm with her cell phone,
it is likely there would be pings on it while driving on the mountain
this could be tested by anyone with the same service

being she left sans credit cards, driver's license
it would seem that she didn't plan on being gone long

if there are pings, the first 20 minutes are critical
as this would somewhat dictate her intentions

if there aren't pings?

liljim
05-17-2011, 03:43 AM
just my opinion here;

after the initial few days of information my first impression of this case was that the husband hired someone to kidnap and kill his wife.

i have seen nothing since to dissuade me from that idea.

she WAS being followed. and once she didnt have the kids with her...

the husband will have an airtight alibi for himself, but he must have compensated someone in some way to take care of this for him.

that is how this case will be solved.

*oh and the husband clearly has the money to do such a thing*

hollyblue
05-17-2011, 04:33 AM
just my opinion here;

after the initial few days of information my first impression of this case was that the husband hired someone to kidnap and kill his wife.

the husband will have an airtight alibi for himself, but he must have compensated someone in some way to take care of this for him.

Well, in theory, if the jewelry is with GP and she is never found, MP can make a claim to the insurance company for the loss. Maybe the jewelry would be the payoff...and then he recovers his losses. He doesn't lose a penny in the transaction.

ThoughtFox
05-17-2011, 05:20 AM
Well, in theory, if the jewelry is with GP and she is never found, MP can make a claim to the insurance company for the loss. Maybe the jewelry would be the payoff...and then he recovers his losses. He doesn't lose a penny in the transaction.

Oh, good Lord ~ I never even thought of that! Brilliant!

It actually makes perfect sense considering her seemed to know the value of the stuff she allegedly removed from the house down to the last dollar. Wasn't it $30,000 worth of belongings?

glorias
05-17-2011, 06:35 AM
Snipped...

From Fran's link also:

Nichols said traces on Gail Palmgren’s cellphone directed police to an area near the north base of Signal Mountain. The last time there was activity on the cellphone was May 2, the same day the missing person’s report was filed, Nichols said.

I just read your post, the bolded part, and I know Forums4Justice has posted this before, but it just hit me: The exact same day Matt finally reported her missing (at the insistence of Gail's family), the phone pinged once at the bottom of the mountain. That's not good. At this point, it's obvious she hadn't come back to Signal Mountain on the 2nd, so either her phone is off the road somewhere or someone else had the phone.

Angelo
05-17-2011, 07:12 AM
Snipped...

I just read your post, the bolded part, and I know Forums4Justice has posted this before, but it just hit me: The exact same day Matt finally reported her missing (at the insistence of Gail's family), the phone pinged once at the bottom of the mountain. That's not good. At this point, it's obvious she hadn't come back to Signal Mountain on the 2nd, so either her phone is off the road somewhere or someone else had the phone.

Yes....Remember Amber Dubois' cell phone was briefly turned on the day after she was murdered which led many to belief she was still alive and a runaway.

Emeralgem
05-17-2011, 07:12 AM
From Fran's link also:

Can any locals comment on exactly where that may be? On the other side of the mountain---from the Signal Mtn Rd WM area? TIA

Yes, the north base would be at the other end of the mtn from Signal Mtn Rd WM area..

Angelo
05-17-2011, 07:18 AM
just my opinion here;

That is what I am thinking. He tells her to come back to the house for a "meeting" and then she disappears. Someone could have been waiting at the house and forced her to leave with them. The house is huge so the kids may not have seen the person. Husband arrives ten minutes later to find the children "unsupervised".

He said he proposed to meet Mrs. Palmgren at the residence on April 30, but when he arrived she was gone, having left the two children "by themselves without any supervision."

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_200931.asp

mominboots
05-17-2011, 07:37 AM
Matthew Palmgren, who changed his cellphone number since last week, could not be reached for comment on the search for Gail or respond to questions raised from the hotel invoices. Attempts to reach Bryan Hoss, Matthew Palmgren’s attorney, were unsuccessful Monday.

I would expect that someone at his level at BCBS would have been provided a cellphone. Perhaps he didn't change his number, but rather had to give it up when placed on administrative leave and his cell is now a new one.

cloudajo
05-17-2011, 08:09 AM
That is what I am thinking. He tells her to come back to the house for a "meeting" and then she disappears. Someone could have been waiting at the house and forced her to leave with them. The house is huge so the kids may not have seen the person. Husband arrives ten minutes later to find the children "unsupervised".

He said he proposed to meet Mrs. Palmgren at the residence on April 30, but when he arrived she was gone, having left the two children "by themselves without any supervision."

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_200931.asp

I wonder if Gail typically parked in the driveway or in the garage. When they got home, I wonder where the kids and the dogs went. I'd like to know more about the dogs.

I also noted Timesville Road runs behind their house, so someone could potentially come through that way.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=pvs3hf7wp8mq&lvl=18.776926690462982&dir=354.55347997057885&sty=b&form=LMLTCC

Angelo
05-17-2011, 08:16 AM
I wonder if Gail typically parked in the driveway or in the garage. When they got home, I wonder where the kids and the dogs went. I'd like to know more about the dogs.

I also noted Timesville Road runs behind their house, so someone could potentially come through that way.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=pvs3hf7wp8mq&lvl=18.776926690462982&dir=354.55347997057885&sty=b&form=LMLTCC

Yes.....Looks like there is a three car garage and only woods between Timesville Rd and the house.

poppyfrock
05-17-2011, 08:26 AM
Hello,
I'm another local who joined this site out of concern for Gail. I'm having a little trouble understanding. Are you guys saying that the phone pinged on the other side of the mountain? Opposite from the Walmart side? I was under the impression it pinged near the walmart, but is this untrue? Also, does anyone know if there will be any searches? I'm willing to volunteer to search.

I have no idea if Hubby is involved, but wouldn't it make sense if he had her phone that when he was pressured to report Gail missing he would then get rid of it? Hence it pinging the day he was pressured to report her disappearance?

ETA: Like maybe he turned it on one last time before chucking it to check something? Like messages, texts, or something? Or possibly even to make it ping in an area that is nowhere near Gail to throw off investigators?

ThoughtFox
05-17-2011, 08:43 AM

The north base??? :eek: That is not near the Wal-Mart at all, so where did that rumor come from?

Now I want to know how far away this was on the north side! Do they mean out near Dunlap, or Powell's Crossroads, or where?

This does not bode well for finding her because that's just so much mountainous territory, woods, streams, omg. No wonder her brother said they were overwhelmed! Because that's a whole different story than if the phone pinged on the base of the mountain near Red Bank and Chattanooga.

msb
05-17-2011, 08:45 AM
<modsnip comment regarding children>
i was told by someone who gave me several details last week that are now coming out in the news that it is known where the jewelry is, so tho the theory of him claiming it on ins, while quite clever, probably won't pan out.

i have read this entire thread and spread the word via the internet to friends all over, but especially the west coast. i am a local and tho i don't know the family, nor the kids, i live very close and my kids attend the same school as their youngest.

one other thing i want to throw out there...just b/c MP isn't pleading for his safe return doesn't make him guilty imo, hasn't there been examples of the dh's pleading for their dw's return, only to have it turn out that they were cya'ing?

overall there are so many holes in this case, unless there was a hired hit, which hadn't occured to me before it was mentioned here, i can't make any scenario fit 100%. :waitasec:

Emeralgem
05-17-2011, 08:47 AM
Hello,
I'm another local who joined this site out of concern for Gail. I'm having a little trouble understanding. Are you guys saying that the phone pinged on the other side of the mountain? Opposite from the Walmart side? I was under the impression it pinged near the walmart, but is this untrue? Also, does anyone know if there will be any searches? I'm willing to volunteer to search.
I have no idea if Hubby is involved, but wouldn't it make sense if he had her phone that when he was pressured to report Gail missing he would then get rid of it? Hence it pinging the day he was pressured to report her disappearance?

ETA: Like maybe he turned it on one last time before chucking it to check something? Like messages, texts, or something? Or possibly even to make it ping in an area that is nowhere near Gail to throw off investigators?

BBM..My understanding is they are organizing a search but don't know exactly when the search is going to take place or who wil be involved in the search. I also read a vigil will be held on Saturday the 21st at 4pm...Pruett's parking lot...JMHO

poppyfrock
05-17-2011, 08:58 AM
BBM..My understanding is they are organizing a search but don't know exactly when the search is going to take place or who wil be involved in the search. I also read a vigil will be held on Saturday the 21st at 4pm...Pruett's parking lot...JMHO

Thank you for answering. I will keep my eyes and ears peeled for details.

Emeralgem
05-17-2011, 09:05 AM
The north base??? :eek: That is not near the Wal-Mart at all, so where did that rumor come from?

Now I want to know how far away this was on the north side! Do they mean out near Dunlap, or Powell's Crossroads, or where? This does not bode well for finding her because that's just so much mountainous territory, woods, streams, omg. No wonder her brother said they were overwhelmed! Because that's a whole different story than if the phone pinged on the base of the mountain near Red Bank and Chattanooga.

BBM.. Would Powell's Crossroad be considered the north base? I'm thinking north base would be somewhere toward Dunlap or toward Soddy Daisy or in the vicinity of Roberts Mill Road however I'm not very familar with that area..JMHO

MacGyver
05-17-2011, 09:09 AM
Have you heard anything about the FBI or TBI being involved yet MacGyver? TY.

No, but Diane said that Gail's brother Kevin had spoken to the FBI. I haven't talked to Diane in a couple of days, so I don't know anything else. I know they were tremendously busy with the gathering yesterday.

ThoughtFox
05-17-2011, 09:11 AM
i was told by someone who gave me several details last week that are now coming out in the news that it is known where the jewelry is, so tho the theory of him claiming it on ins, while quite clever, probably won't pan out.

We only have the husband's word that it was ever missing in the first place. And if it was her jewelry, then she had a right to remove it from the house, but that is unclear. It's hard to say what is true and what is a rumor.

one other thing i want to throw out there...just b/c MP isn't pleading for his safe return doesn't make him guilty imo, hasn't there been examples of the dh's pleading for their dw's return, only to have it turn out that they were cya'ing?

I had to look up what "cya'ing" is. :crazy: I realize we have alot of newbies around on this thread, but it might be better to write with fewer abbreviations because I know my old brain is too slow sometimes to interpret groups of letters that aren't really words. It's a little confusing.

In answer to your question, no, most husbands do not plead for their wife's return unless they actually care. The ones who cry on camera and beg their wives to return are usually suffering, sincere, scared, and broken-hearted.

Then there are the other kind :innocent: who clam up and lawyer up so fast it can make your head spin, and I think we're seeing it again in this case.

The first few times he spoke to the police and the media, all he did was talk about the kids, the money, the jeep, the merchandise, and how hard it all was on him! That speaks volumes to me. The pleading for Gail's safe return would be nice to hear, especially out of respect to her family and to his own children, but since they were on the rocks already, it's not going to happen.

overall there are so many holes in this case, unless there was a hired hit, which hadn't occured to me before it was mentioned here, i can't make any scenario fit 100%. :waitasec:
Not yet. But I think things are becoming clearer by the day.

ThoughtFox
05-17-2011, 09:12 AM
BBM.. Would Powell's Crossroad be considered the north base? I'm thinking north base would be somewhere toward Dunlap or toward Soddy Daisy or in the vicinity of Roberts Mill Road however I'm not very familar with that area..JMHO

I guess Powell's Crossroads is more to the West. I didn't think about them meaning Soddy-Daisy, though. I was thinking of the real "north" (due north) which would be Dunlap. I guess we will find out someday exactly where they are talking about.

JBean
05-17-2011, 09:21 AM
Guys, please leave the whereabouts of the kids off the board.
Thank you.

Emeralgem
05-17-2011, 09:29 AM
I guess Powell's Crossroads is more to the West. I didn't think about them meaning Soddy-Daisy, though. I was thinking of the real "north" (due north) which would be Dunlap. I guess we will find out someday exactly where they are talking about.

I've been loooking east and west travelling north on 127... Scary.. Entirely too much territory that could be considered as north base of the mtn...JMHO

http://sigmtn.com/map.php

JBean
05-17-2011, 09:29 AM
WE need to start linking to information. I know some are privvy to inside info and cannot link to it, but if it is inside information then it may hamper the investigation to post it in a public forum. So,moving forward, if you cannot link to it we are going to leave it offboard.
Thanks all and let's find Gail.

ThoughtFox
05-17-2011, 09:30 AM
About Mr. Palmgren being on "Administrative Leave."

My husband, who has been a bureaucrat now for 27 years, had an interesting take on that.

He said, "Oh, he must be in some kind of trouble at work, then."

Me: "Well, supposedly he has a girlfriend at work, according to the Times-Free-Press (http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2011/may/17/missing-woman-search-continues-gail-palmgren/)."

My Hubby: "Ah ~ that might explain it. Otherwise, why wouldn't BC/BS let him take vacation time or sick leave to be with his kids?"

Me: "Sounds right to me."

:twocents:

whimdriven
05-17-2011, 09:48 AM
Anywhere there are men in power and men with money, there are affairs. The vast majority of cheating men don't kill their wives ... if we're looking at this statistically ...

fran
05-17-2011, 09:58 AM
Gail's phone pinging on the opposite side of the mountain is very troublesome to me. I think it's the date, May 2nd, that bothers me. That's two days after we KNOW of, that anyone talked to Gail. What I'd like to know is what Gail's phone records looked like from around April 15th through to the current date?

We've seen in the media, that Gail talked to her sister on the day she drove away from the home, leaving the children behind. We don't know if Gail talked to anyone else after that time. I'm guessing since the last date of conversation was on April 30th, that no one, other than MAYBE the husband spoke to her again.

What happened during that two day time span, until her family became alarmed they were unable to talk to her? Where was she May 1 and 2nd? I'm curious if her car was spotted at the home after the neighbor saw her drive away?

There's something about those two days that means something. What, I don't know, but the case, IMHO, seems to be going in the direction, I'm sure we did't want it to.

Where is Gail?

JMHO
fran

Buzz Mills
05-17-2011, 10:06 AM
Gail's phone pinging on the opposite side of the mountain is very troublesome to me. I think it's the date, May 2nd, that bothers me.

SNIP

Where did this alleged ping on the North side of Signal Mtn come from?

I thought the May 2nd ping was received by a cell tower
in the vicinity of WalMart on the Southeast side of the mountain.

topo mao

Buzz Mills
05-17-2011, 10:15 AM
Saturday, April 29, 2011

driving a Dark Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon http://bit.ly/m7RYJA

being that Gail left without her license and credit cards,
is there existing evidence (12:15 - 1:00 pm pings)
that Gail had her phone with her?

msb
05-17-2011, 10:15 AM
I apologize for my post abt the children. I was trying to answer questions posted here, but u r right, not necessary.

perico
05-17-2011, 10:19 AM

Timesville Road can't be accessed from St. Ives by road. There is an 8 foot wall that blocks access because it is the most run down area on the mountain. It is accessible through the woods.

fran
05-17-2011, 10:37 AM
Where did this alleged ping on the North side of Signal Mtn come from?

I thought the May 2nd ping was received by a cell tower
in the vicinity of WalMart on the Southeast side of the mountain.

topo mao

This one says in the general vicinity of Walmart, it's from the court documents filed.
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - TN TN - Gail Nowacki Palmgren, 44, Signal Mountain, 30 April 2011 - #2

This one says on the North side of the mountain,

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2011/may/17/missing-woman-search-continues-gail-palmgren/?news
Nichols said traces on Gail Palmgren’s cellphone directed police to an area near the north base of Signal Mountain. The last time there was activity on the cellphone was May 2, the same day the missing person’s report was filed, Nichols said

hth,
fran

PS.....perhaps someone local can get this verified or clarified. I don't know which side of the mountain is which?

fran
05-17-2011, 10:46 AM
FWIW, looking from the outside in, to me it doesn't matter which side of the mountain the cell phone pinged on. But it definitely means something to LE and those that live there. She, or at least her cell phone, was either coming or going from the mountain. The direction should be an indication to LE of the direction they should look for Gail.

I'm just concerned it was two days after she allegedly disappeared and she's still gone without a trace. IMHO, even if she had intended on leaving her husband, she most likely would NOT go this long without contacting at least one person. Especially her bro and sis, or at the least, the kids.

Even the husband said at the time he was saying she's done this before, but always stayed in contact with the kids.

Isn't happening, something is definitely wrong. We just aren't sure what?

As it's most probable this situation crossed state lines, IMHO, the FBI should take the lead and investigate!

JMHO
fran

perico
05-17-2011, 11:03 AM
FWIW, looking from the outside in, to me it doesn't matter which side of the mountain the cell phone pinged on. But it definitely means something to LE and those that live there. She, or at least her cell phone, was either coming or going from the mountain. The direction should be an indication to LE of the direction they should look for Gail.

I'm just concerned it was two days after she allegedly disappeared and she's still gone without a trace. IMHO, even if she had intended on leaving her husband, she most likely would NOT go this long without contacting at least one person. Especially her bro and sis, or at the least, the kids.

Even the husband said at the time he was saying she's done this before, but always stayed in contact with the kids.

Isn't happening, something is definitely wrong. We just aren't sure what?

As it's most probable this situation crossed state lines, IMHO, the FBI should take the lead and investigate!

JMHO
fran

While Signal Mtn. isn't high enough to even be a real mountain, it's about 25 miles distance from the "front" (which is actually on the southside but the main road coming from Chattanooga) to the other side, which is the descent into Dunlap. It is also probably in the neighborhood of 5-10 miles (maybe a lot more) in it's width.

It's a huge area with a majority of it wooded. With her phone pinging on the north side of the mountain, it gives me (personally) pause because to me, that likely means we aren't looking for a living person because that's straight into the rural areas and forests with countless lakes and ponds.

believe09
05-17-2011, 11:03 AM
From the article linked above by fran (http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=14655364#), the attorney only confirmed the leave of absence - so I assume someone else put it out there first.

Additionally, I think it odd the way the article laid out that piece of information (bold and new article section header by news site):

--snip--

"Right now we just want to find Gail and right now a collaborative effort would be nice," said Gallivan.

POLICE INVESTIGATION

MP's attorney confirms he has been placed on administrative leave from his job at Blue Cross, Blue Shield in connection to his wife's disappearance.

MP..."

--snip--

Its probably not indicative of anything, but the writer adding this information under the "Police Investigation" section would imply (to someone not following the case too closely to jumpt to the conclusion you indicate) that MP is in the scope of the current police investigation, though not a suspect or POI at this time.

This ABSOLUTELY hit me the same way. Now, I wonder which category of reporting this would fall into? I would certainly believe from reading these statements that BCBST put him on leave in relationship to the disappearance of his wife and the investigation.

What a mess. I realize there is no rule book, but there are certain common sense steps people can take. In spite of having a high profile attorney, MP seems to be in the weeds when it comes to some basics.

It makes no sense whatsoever to file for custody and restraining orders-none. She returned the children to him at the time he specified. What makes him believe that he can unring that bell? We know she is not mentally unstable-PD would have changed their approach to the investigation immediately...she would be endangered missing. Plus PD says she is not. They, presumably, have the same evidence he has since he was cooperating with the investigation right out of the gate, right? So whatever he turned over to them was not compelling enough for them to change their story.

So let's quarterback for a moment-she said she was being followed and was nervous and scared. She is not unstable according to PD, ergo-she was being followed I would think. So who was following her and why?

MP has hired a PI at some point to locate his wife. Maybe he had one on retainer prior to her disappearance....Just speculating. Otherwise, who else would be following her?

Was she being stalked by a stranger? Did she tell MP that she was being followed? Does this now spark some recollection that she had mentioned suspicious activity to him or does he still discount her mental abilities?

And yet, she was still primary caregiver of his dear children in spite of her change in mental health...the mental health issues that PD say do not exist.

I dont know- at this point I am completely confused. :waitasec:

perico
05-17-2011, 11:10 AM
While Signal Mtn. isn't high enough to even be a real mountain, it's about 25 miles distance from the "front" (which is actually on the southside but the main road coming from Chattanooga) to the other side, which is the descent into Dunlap. It is also probably in the neighborhood of 5-10 miles (maybe a lot more) in it's width.

It's a huge area with a majority of it wooded. With her phone pinging on the north side of the mountain, it gives me (personally) pause because to me, that likely means we aren't looking for a living person because that's straight into the rural areas and forests with countless lakes and ponds.

The entire Walden's Ridge, upon which Signal Mtn. falls in, runs 74 miles in length, and includes Sand Mtn to the south and through Pikeville to the north.

Buzz Mills
05-17-2011, 11:20 AM
regarding LE's interest in the North side of the mountain:

is this interest as a result of pings in the Saturday, 12:15-1:00 pm timeframe?

the ping on Monday, May 2nd, was alleged to be in the vicinity
of the Walmart on the Southeast side

feel free to correct me

ITD
05-17-2011, 11:23 AM
One of the comments in the this article: http://timesfreepress.com/news/2011/may/17/missing-woman-search-continues-gail-palmgren/

says that LE is having a press conference today. Has anyone local heard anything about it?

Emeralgem
05-17-2011, 11:24 AM
Anywhere there are men in power and men with money, there are affairs. The vast majority of cheating men don't kill their wives ... if we're looking at this statistically ...

BBM..Also, IF we are looking at this statistically the vast majority of cheating men in power who have affairs with women in their work place don't get put on administrative leave either...JMHO

believe09
05-17-2011, 11:25 AM

Just men? :innocent:

believe09
05-17-2011, 11:27 AM
One of the comments in the this article: http://timesfreepress.com/news/2011/may/17/missing-woman-search-continues-gail-palmgren/

says that LE is having a press conference today. Has anyone local heard anything about it?

If anyone attends, would you keep us in the loop PLEASE??? Fingers crossed.

jd3223
05-17-2011, 11:28 AM

I saw that comment too but have not seen any independent confirmation of a press conference.

whimdriven
05-17-2011, 11:29 AM
BBM..Also, IF we are looking at this statistically the vase majority of cheating men with power who have affairs with women in their work place don't get put on administrative leave either...JMHO

Actually, I'd say that employees in a position of power whose indiscretions with coworkers (subordinate or otherwise) become knowledge of their employers DO get put on administrative leave or at least disciplined. From what I've seen, anyways ...

Emeralgem
05-17-2011, 11:38 AM
Just men? :innocent:

Sorry about that.. Didn't mean to come off as being gender biased.. I suspect that applies to women also.. JMHO

sophieness
05-17-2011, 11:38 AM
Actually, I'd say that employees in a position of power whose indiscretions with coworkers (subordinate or otherwise) become knowledge of their employers DO get put on administrative leave or at least disciplined. From what I've seen, anyways ...

no not always. my father didn't. his bosses found out what had occurred, and they didn't do anything, even though my mom said they treated them different afterwards. sometimes they consider it an embarrassing personal matter that they discourage but sweep under the rug. it's not worth losing their high profile people over if no one is claiming harassment and people are getting their jobs done and not rubbing it in people's faces. as to MP, they may have been aware of it before, but now that the whole world is aware of it, and now that LE and media may be contacting or questioning coworkers, NOW it reflects on them.

jd3223
05-17-2011, 11:42 AM
bveal@signalmountaintn.gov

hrogers@signalmountaintn.gov

I'm not suggesting a letter writing campaign BUT the first email is for the Signal Mountain Police Chief, Boyd Veal. The second is the email for the Signal Mountain Town Manager, Honna Rogers. The signalmountaintn.gov website indicates she is the "primary liaison between the Town and its citizens".

whimdriven
05-17-2011, 11:43 AM
no not always. my father didn't. his bosses found out what had occurred, and they didn't do anything. sometimes they consider it an embarrassing personal matter that they discourage but sweep under the rug. as to MP, they may have been aware of it before, but now that the whole world is aware of it, and now that LE and media may be contacting or questioning coworkers, NOW it reflects on them.

Given public indiscretions from Eliot Spitzer (the insurance industry's FAVORITE indiscretion, for obvious reasons) to Arnold Schwartzenegger to the politicos passing sexually charged notes and texts to Capitol pages (male AND female) ... businesses seem to be much more attuned to sexual misconduct in the workplace.

Still doesn't mean that the guy killed his wife ...

After speaking to a dear friend at BCBST who hadn't even heard about this mess (how can that be possible?!?!) ... he said that all kinds of folks have mistress'd up at BCBST lately ... maybe it's spring fever.

believe09
05-17-2011, 11:45 AM
Given public indiscretions from Eliot Spitzer (the insurance industry's FAVORITE indiscretion, for obvious reasons) to Arnold Schwartzenegger to the politicos passing sexually charged notes and texts to Capitol pages (male AND female) ... businesses seem to be much more attuned to sexual misconduct in the workplace.

After speaking to a dear friend at BCBST who hadn't even heard about this mess (how can that be possible?!?!) ... he said that all kinds of folks have mistress'd up at BCBST lately ... maybe it's spring fever.

BBM-they will be thrilled to have that tidbit out there, lol.

ETA: Can your friend weigh in on whether or not you are allowed to date peers or subordinates and if no, what the consequences are??

sophieness
05-17-2011, 11:46 AM

I take it they are now being investigated and placed on leave? No one is saying that this man killed his wife solely by evidence of an affair. We don't even know he had an affair for a fact. What concerns us is his behavior after she went missing. Most guys who have affairs do not kill their wives, and most guys who have affairs do NOT have wives who go missing and subsequently behave in this manner, as well. I see you have connections to people who work as BCBST.

Emeralgem
05-17-2011, 11:53 AM

My husband and I (at one time) both worked for the largest communication company in the South. Personally, I didn't witness that to be the case... JMHO

lillygator
05-17-2011, 11:53 AM
So, we know from Gail's neighbor, her husband was having an affair with a co-worker.

We also learn that the neighbor CONFIRMS her SUSIPICIONS also, that Gail MAYBE was being followed. The NEIGHBOR WITNESSED the suspicious car Gail was speaking of, on MORE than one occasion.

As far as the husband saying Gail had 'mental problems,' he's PROBABLY been trying to tell her she's paranoid about him having and affair and then denying it, and then SOMEONE APPEARS to MAYBE be following her as witnessed by the neighbor.

Yep! This is how they start. :(

JMHO
fran

NOW, WHERE IS GAIL!?

With each article printed today, we found bits and pieces of something we didn't know before.

My heart goes out to Gail's family. They seem like really nice people. You can tell that Gail was nice too, because she has wonderful friends who think the world of her.

JMHO
fran

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2011/may/17/missing-woman-search-continues-gail-palmgren/

The marriage of nearly 15 years was stressed.

Gail Palmgren lost her job at Novartis Pharmaceuticals in June 2010. She also suspected her husband was having an affair, according to friends and family, and had discovered hotel invoices from the DoubleTree hotel and a Hampton Inn in Chattanooga, invoices that showed his name and that he had paid in cash.

“There was talk about that. She had no proof at that point,” Nichols said. “She did mention she found some things and she was going to further investigate it. She may have found something. She could have gotten concrete proof.”

sorry but I am still leaning towards the husband. I am not seeing "nice guy" anywhere in this scenario.
Changed his cell>????????? What if his wife has been kidnapped and drugged and that is the only number she recalls? yeah, nice.

whimdriven
05-17-2011, 11:58 AM
I take it they are now being investigated and placed on leave? No one is saying that this man killed his wife solely by evidence of an affair. We don't even know he had an affair for a fact. What concerns us is his behavior after she went missing. Most guys who have affairs do not kill their wives, and most guys who have affairs do NOT have wives who go missing and subsequently behave in this manner, as well. I see you have connections to people who work as BCBST.

Chattanooga is an insurance town. Folks kind of do the circuit ... BCBST, Unum, CIGNA. I've only talked to one contact ... And he's under the impression that Mr. Palmgren is probably not the only one on the prowl ... but that's another story for another time.

I have connections to all the major insurance employers in Chattanooga.

Generally, you shouldn't pursue a relationship with a subordinate, but until it blows up or becomes general/public knowledge, I'm not sure of what steps the companies take to stay on the pulse of such things. I do remember a specific incident many years ago at one of the "big three." The couple wasn't busted until an employee had a specific incident with the manager where he could not be located - he had the company cell phone (with which he was supposed to be on call) elsewhere in the building where he was hooking up with a subordinate. I still think that, to this day, nothing would have happened unless he couldn't be found that one night. Critical misstep for him - he (and the subordinate) were fired.

poppyfrock
05-17-2011, 12:00 PM

In the comments of this wrcb news posting on facebook, Callie Starnes has posted about this afternoon's police conference, no details given about time/place.
http://www.facebook.com/WRCBtv/posts/225253184158731

Columbo
05-17-2011, 12:01 PM
I'd like to know dates/times when Gail spotted a car following her, and when neighbors saw a strange car cruising round the neighborhood.

If it happened on weekdays during working hours then it probably was not MP's girlfriend, unless she was free to leave her office at any time of the working day.

ETA, excuse me, I meant "alleged" gf

ITD
05-17-2011, 12:03 PM
In the comments of this wrcb news posting on facebook, Callie Starnes has posted about this afternoon's police conference, no details given about time/place.

Update to the comments says "Hamilton County Sheriff's office will have press conference at 2 pm". Gail's sister to speak.

suzyq211
05-17-2011, 12:03 PM
In the comment section at the bottom of the article someone mentions a Press Conference at 2:00 pm today by the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office.

Sleuthy1
05-17-2011, 12:08 PM
WRCB Channel 3 Eyewitness News CALLIE: The Signal Mountain Police Department still considers Gail Palmgren to be a missing person. A press conference is set for this afternoon, where we should learn new information. Follow me on twitter @calliestarnes for updates live as they happen.
about an hour ago · Like · 1 person

believe09
05-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Update to the comments says "Hamilton County Sheriff's office will have press conference at 2 pm". Gail's sister to speak.

In the comment section at the bottom of the article someone mentions a Press Conference at 2:00 pm today by the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office.

Great news-now we need a live feed. :)

hollyblue
05-17-2011, 12:11 PM
I would expect that someone at his level at BCBS would have been provided a cellphone. Perhaps he didn't change his number, but rather had to give it up when placed on administrative leave and his cell is now a new one.

LE may have taken it also. I HOPE.

Jade
05-17-2011, 12:13 PM
[I] Respectfully snipped >>>>>

The cellphone beeps were not [B]at wal mart ...they are in the general area of wal mart...that means the bottom of the mountain someplace.

snipped>>>>

Snip>>>

Mr. P’s Mother’s home area could be considered at the base of the mountain and north.

His mother’s home area would be north of the Wal-Mart on the eastern side of the mountain.

No one said how far north and or that it is north on the western side? [Now where did I read that it was north?!]

North would be relative to were the descriptive starting point is –so even a tiny bit up the road could be north.

Thank you to FFJ for MP Mom's address and map:

http://bit.ly/m2koxT

Adjust the map out and down and see that her Rd is just a hop, skip and jump from where the W Rd ends at the bottom of the mountain at Mountain Creek Road.

Just sayin….

Where were the other sightings?

All IMO

Buzz Mills
05-17-2011, 12:18 PM

Police call news conference regarding missing mother
http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=14661367

Janice Atkinson
Public Information Officer
Hamilton County Sheriff's Office
office/423-209-8922

map
http://bit.ly/ixxcGJ

hollyblue
05-17-2011, 12:23 PM

I think one of the locals stated you could not directly access GP's subdivsion from Timesville. ? I've been thinking how someone could have gotten to her house without being noticed and maybe forcing her into the car and driving. MP could have driven someone there, parked in the garage and then that person was waiting either in the house or around the property when she returned home.

lefty1062
05-17-2011, 12:33 PM
Per calliestarnes@twitter, she stated that the Hamilton county sheriffs office is teaming up with signal mtn LE, also stated that Gail's sister has been asked to be at the 2pm press conference and they will explain why when she gets there.

perico
05-17-2011, 12:41 PM
I think one of the locals stated you could not directly access GP's subdivsion from Timesville. ? I've been thinking how someone could have gotten to her house without being noticed and maybe forcing her into the car and driving. MP could have driven someone there, parked in the garage and then that person was waiting either in the house or around the property when she returned home.

It would be pretty simple because it is still easily accessible from the woods behind st. Ives, and those woods are 20 miles deep.

perico
05-17-2011, 12:43 PM
The fiance noticed that flyers are disappearing in a couple of locations. Mapco on Taft Highway. Know the owner and he's a nice younger guy, and he's not one who would take them down.

believe09
05-17-2011, 12:44 PM
I wondered if we would see flyers being taken down.

Now there are benign reasons to do this-could be for the kiddos who are wondering where their mommy is, could be because there is an ordinance that does not allow for them, and could be kids...

believe09
05-17-2011, 12:46 PM
Per calliestarnes@twitter, she stated that the Hamilton county sheriffs office is teaming up with signal mtn LE, also stated that Gail's sister has been asked to be at the 2pm press conference and they will explain why when she gets there.

I am so energized to read that the Sheriff's office is involved as well...so cool to see LE putting aside "turf" and sharing resources!!!

:rocker::rocker::rocker:
:woohoo:

Buzz Mills
05-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Police call news conference regarding missing mother

Janice Atkinson
office/423-209-8922

map
http://bit.ly/ixxcGJ

perico
05-17-2011, 12:58 PM
I wondered if we would see flyers being taken down.

Now there are benign reasons to do this-could be for the kiddos who are wondering where their mommy is, could be because there is an ordinance that does not allow for them, and could be kids...

The "town of Signal Mtn." will have to be dragged kicking and screaming through this. I have my suspicions on who the flyer culprit is, but it's only suspicion...

fraudqueen
05-17-2011, 12:59 PM

Hopefully, but doubtful IMO, the police have his original cell phone.

Yes, it does sound by her phone pinging the day she was reported missing that "someone" got rid of it as an afterthought.

From the moutains I've seen there on vacation something could be thrown in and never ever be seen again.

MOO

perico
05-17-2011, 01:01 PM
I am so energized to read that the Sheriff's office is involved as well...so cool to see LE putting aside "turf" and sharing resources!!!

:rocker::rocker::rocker:
:woohoo:

My gut says that the SMPD probably don't have any choice in the matter. There's that suspicion creeping up again... hint hint...

believe09
05-17-2011, 01:07 PM
My gut says that the SMPD probably don't have any choice in the matter. There's that suspicion creeping up again... hint hint...

Shout it out, fellow poster-if it is based on rumor, just predicate your post with that.
:)

Buzz Mills
05-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Twitter Callie Starnes cstarnes@wrcbtv.com sobo@wrcbtv.com
@calliestarnes view full profile →
Chattanooga, TN
Reporter/Weekend Anchor for @WRCB, the NBC affiliate in Chattanooga, TN. http://calliestarnes.com

I have a list of tough ?'s for today's press conference. What do you want to know about Gail Palmgren's case?

@calliestarnes are there any Gail cell phone pings in the Saturday, April 30, 12:15 pm to 1:00 pm timeframe...if so, from what area?

perico
05-17-2011, 01:17 PM
I have the sneaking suspicion (no substantiated proof) that one or two of the SMPD are the missing flyer at the Mapco culprit. Whether they were told to do so, I have no idea, but they spend a huge percentage of their time there, and either took them down themselves, or know who did so.

believe09
05-17-2011, 01:26 PM
I have the sneaking suspicion (no substantiated proof) that one or two of the SMPD are the missing flyer at the Mapco culprit. Whether they were told to do so, I have no idea, but they spend a huge percentage of their time there, and either took them down themselves, or know who did so.

I am going to take the high road and say they witnessed it, and it is well documented in the case file. :innocent:

Shelby1
05-17-2011, 01:27 PM
Twitter Callie Starnes
Chattanooga, TN
Reporter/Weekend Anchor for @WRCB, the NBC affiliate in Chattanooga, TN. http://calliestarnes.com

I have a list of tough ?'s for today's press conference. What do you want to know about Gail Palmgren's case?

@calliestarnes are there any Gail cell phone pings in the Saturday, April 30, 12:15 pm to 1:00 pm timeframe...if so, from what area?

I asked Callie if there have been any searches of either of the houses.

sophieness
05-17-2011, 01:27 PM
Twitter Callie Starnes
Chattanooga, TN

what is the last suspected sighting of gail and where??? someone should ask that. I don't have twitter.

sophieness
05-17-2011, 01:29 PM
I asked Callie if there have been any searches of either of the houses.

and if not, why not. even if no crime was committed, if she thought she was being followed for any reason she may be in danger and it could lead to clues

jrb0124
05-17-2011, 01:32 PM
what is the last suspected sighting of gail and where??? someone should ask that. I don't have twitter.

any information obtained since she disappeared from a GPS device in either her Jeep or her phone? (note: GPS does not equal cell phone pings)

hollyblue
05-17-2011, 01:32 PM
bveal@signalmountaintn.gov

hrogers@signalmountaintn.gov

I'm not suggesting a letter writing campaign BUT the first email is for the Signal Mountain Police Chief, Boyd Veal. The second is the email for the Signal Mountain Town Manager, Honna Rogers. The signalmountaintn.gov website indicates she is the "primary liaison between the Town and its citizens".

She prolly oversees the budget and is the liason between LE and the mayor too.

We have the same situation in the Hailey Dunn case, except the City Mgr there is also an X FBI agent. Double speak out the ying yang!!!!!! IMO

sophieness
05-17-2011, 01:36 PM
SB mentioned a suspicious car on their street. do they have a description of it?

dreamweaver
05-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Signal Mountain Police Department and the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office say they will discuss the disappearance of Gail Palmgren at 2:00 p.m.
and...............

Matthew Palmgren's attorney confirms he has been placed on administrative leave from his job at Blue Cross, Blue Shield in connection to his wife's disappearance.

perico
05-17-2011, 01:43 PM
She prolly oversees the budget and is the liason between LE and the mayor too.

We have the same situation in the Hailey Dunn case, except the City Mgr there is also an X FBI agent. Double speak out the ying yang!!!!!! IMO

She does a lot of the financial/budget stuff. She was the one who was responsible for the trash can switch, where the city let go of most of the garbagemen and replaced them with that machine that has poured my garbage onto the street on 3 or 4 different occasions.

She is pretty young, and got the job pretty much directly out of college through her grandfather, who was on the council or worked for the town for many years.

Buzz Mills
05-17-2011, 01:47 PM
KEEP ASKING YOUR QUESTIONS

I sent Callie Starnes, Reporter/Weekend Anchor for @WRCB,
the NBC affiliate in Chattanooga, TN.
the link to this page

Hopefully she will read through it b4 the press conference

Sleuthy1
05-17-2011, 01:48 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/calliestarnes

Emeralgem
05-17-2011, 01:56 PM
Reading Calle Starnes

BREAKING: Matthew Palmgren is here for press conference pertaining to his wife's disappearance.

ITD
05-17-2011, 01:56 PM
MP showed up, according to Callie Starnes twitter.

hollyblue
05-17-2011, 01:57 PM
Can someone provide a live feed link...pretty please.

poppyfrock
05-17-2011, 02:01 PM

If there is a live stream somewhere, no one is telling us. I haven't been able to find one. I tweeted callie and asked but got no response.

suzyq211
05-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Callie Starnes just tweeted that Matthew Palmgren will be at the PC...hmmmm.

Buzz Mills
05-17-2011, 02:03 PM

http://twitter.com/#!/calliestarnes

Matthew Palmgren's attorneys, Lee Davis and Bryan Hoss, are here for press conference.

hollyblue
05-17-2011, 02:04 PM
http://twitcasting.tv/calliestarnes Live stream.

Buzz Mills
Watch live as authorities update us on Gail Palmgren's disappearance.
http://moi.st/188475

poppyfrock
Already started:
http://twitcasting.tv/calliestarnes

msb
05-17-2011, 02:07 PM
i never turn on the tv during the daytime but did for this...AND

nada. it's not on live. grrr! w/ the lack of coverage so far, i'm going to have to rely on info from here (via twitter?) to hear how this went even tho i am LOCAL. :banghead:

ITD
05-17-2011, 02:12 PM
Well. Not much.

jrb0124
05-17-2011, 02:13 PM
Already started:
http://twitcasting.tv/calliestarnes

THAT was a presser??? you blink you missed it...

hollyblue
05-17-2011, 02:14 PM
I only caught her sister and the hubby?, but nothing from LE. When LE doesn't speak....it bothers me tremendously. JMO

Kimster
05-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Did someone come to the presser unannounced and that led to silence, or was it planned that way? I couldn't watch it so I don't know.

sophieness
05-17-2011, 02:16 PM
law enforcement said they would reveal new information today, was there ANYTHING new??

Emeralgem
05-17-2011, 02:17 PM
THAT was a presser??? you blink you missed it...

I must have blinked because I sure missed it.. I turned on Channel 3 and it was not on their channel.. I checked the other channels too..nada..
I did read Hamiltin County is now in charge of the investigation..

Buzz Mills
05-17-2011, 02:17 PM
@calliestarnes
Callie Starnes
I asked Matthew Palmgren why he waited until today to go public.
His attorney wouldn't allow him to answer. #missingmom

msb
05-17-2011, 02:18 PM
i was flipping thru channels and missed the link for the feed. it won't work for me... can i still watch it now or did i miss my chance?

hollyblue
05-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Her sister made a very emotional plea for Gail and search efforts. The hubby basically stated he had hired a PI. Go figure on that one. He seems pretty nervous, imo, tapping his hand on the podium. Not something you would see normally in someone with his job experience. IMO, JMO, etc.

jrb0124
05-17-2011, 02:22 PM
It was over in 8 minutes.

I missed sister and MP, just caught "Janice" from the Public information office, and she basically said:

*no investigators involved

*no contact with LE in Alabama

*being treated as a standard missing person case, they don't think there is reason to act otherwise

*no searchers from the Sheriff's office

*admits foul play "entirely possible"

*they put GP in national missing person registry

*they can only hope she catches broadcasts (if possible) and responds to family

anyone else who watched can correct me on any of this - sound was pretty low

msb
05-17-2011, 02:23 PM
always willing to play devils advocate...

stress whether brought on by guilt or worry manifests itself the same. i don't think him being uncharacteristically jittery marks him as a suspect. jmo.

hollyblue
Does anyone know who the woman was at the end speaking? LE liason coordinator with the press?

SMPD is no longer heading up the investigation, but have two investigators working with the sheriff's dept. Right.?

To those that tweet, please give Callie our thanks for the report and the connection to the live stream. <3

dreamweaver

I missed sister and MP, just caught "Janice" from the Public information office, and she basically said:

*being treated as a standard missing person case, they don't think there is reason to act otherwise

I could barely hear anything. The sound was very low and my speakers were turned up on high.
It didn't seem too organized, but maybe that is just me.
I was expecting a bit more from the press conference.

MacGyver
05-17-2011, 02:24 PM
sorry but I am still leaning towards the husband. I am not seeing "nice guy" anywhere in this scenario.
Changed his cell>????????? What if his wife has been kidnapped and drugged and that is the only number she recalls? yeah, nice.

Unless it was a work cell phone and they took it away?

jd3223
05-17-2011, 02:25 PM
Mike Mathis is the PI working with MP's attorneys according to Callie's twitter.

Buzz Mills
05-17-2011, 02:25 PM
calliestarnes Callie Starnes
Former officer, now private investigator Mike Mathis working w/ Matthew Palmgren & attorneys.
Says he was hired same day as Davis & Hoss.

jrb0124
05-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Its recorded and posted now (the 8 minute press conference).

Here is a link to it (http://movie.twitcasting.tv/calliestarnes/movie/1606773)

jd3223
05-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Janice Atkinson
office/423-209-8922

hollyblue
05-17-2011, 02:28 PM

Sound was very difficult....and I have additional speakers, which I had to turn to the max!!

I thought she said two offciers from SMPD were to help work on her case, but maybe I got confused there. Hope to a report later on the PC.

Thanks to all for providing the links........!!!!

redfish
05-17-2011, 02:29 PM
WOW. That was stunning. For me anyway. I learned alot though. Things are just as they appeared, that LE agency has been doing NOTHING. It is time, I think, to start really pushing for help from bigger guns!

msb
05-17-2011, 02:31 PM

*no investigators involved *NO SMPD INVESTIGATORS, OR NONE AT ALL LOOKING INTO THIS?

*no contact with LE in Alabama WON'T EVEN TOUCH THIS

*being treated as a standard missing person case, they don't think there is reason to act otherwise UM, WHAT? CHILDREN "GO MISSING" NOT ADULTS!

*no searchers from the Sheriff's office SO NOT LOOKING FOR A BODY OR NOT LOOKING FOR HER AT ALL?

*admits foul play "entirely possible" IF IT'S ENTIRELY POSSIBLE THEN WHY ISN'T IT BEING TREATED AS AN OPTION?!?! B/C ITS A SMALL TOWN AND THEY DON'T HAVE THE RESOURCES? FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE, TURN IT OVER TO TBI OR FBI OR WHATEV! GRR

*they put GP in national missing person registry NICE GESTURE

*they can only hope she catches broadcasts (if possible) and responds to family CUZ AFTER BEING GONE FOR 2.5 WKS *NOW* THEY MIGHT START BEING WORRIED SO *NOW* SHE MIGHT CALL THEM AND TELL THEM NOT TO. *EYEROLL*

(eta i WROTE SOME COMMENTS next to the recap of the pc)

ok i realize i'm a newbie here and far too close (w/o being actually involved w/ the family) to the sitch so forgive my frustration. can some of you experts tell me what this stuff means? is it just a "appease the frothing public" kinda thing or was there real info in there that i'm missing? :waitasec:

Columbo
05-17-2011, 02:35 PM
always willing to play devils advocate...

stress whether brought on by guilt or worry manifests itself the same. i don't think him being uncharacteristically jittery marks him as a suspect. jmo.

bolded by me.

I do.
Combined with all the weird stuff he's been doing (filing a restraining order, etc) and the apparent lack of compassion for his wife, "uncharacteristically jittery" could mean a lot more than stress about his wife being missing, which he obviously doesn't seem to care about.
As angry as he might be at her, a situation like this should make him forget the anger.
Of course, this is just my opinion and I certainly could be wrong.

Columbo
05-17-2011, 02:37 PM
WOW. That was stunning. For me anyway. I learned alot though. Things are just as they appeared, that LE agency has been doing NOTHING. It is time, I think, to start really pushing for help from bigger guns!

Is it possible LE is playing possum so as not to give anything away, but is really working on this case? Please--because I can't believe they aren't doing anything!!!!

redfish
05-17-2011, 02:37 PM

ok i realize i'm a newbie here and far too close (w/o being actually involved w/ the family) to the sitch so forgive my frustration. can some of you experts tell me what this stuff means? is it just a "appease the frothing public" kinda thing or was there real info in there that i'm missing? :waitasec:

I think that you got the same thing from it that I did. I really am stunned. What a nightmare for this family.

jd3223
05-17-2011, 02:41 PM
Re: the investigators...

Hamilton County PIO Janice Atkinson said Hamilton County was NOT taking over the case - they are assisting. They asked for assistance with releasing information (ha - how can they need help? they aren't releasing anything) so she will be the point of contact. She also said two investigators from HCSO will be assisting SMPD.

sophieness
05-17-2011, 02:42 PM

The spokeswoman looked bored and annoyed by the whole thing, especially that reporters would have questions. Gail's sister was a HEARTBREAKER. it is about time MP said SOMETHING, so thank him for that. I don't expect LE to investigate him or anyone else ANYTIME soon based on the spokeswoman's responses, anyway. she looked like she had to do this on her lunch hour or something.

redfish
05-17-2011, 02:42 PM
Is it possible LE is playing possum so as not to give anything away, but is really working on this case? Please--because I can't believe they aren't doing anything!!!!

Columbo, I hope you are right. I really do. But I felt like I had been hit in the gut following that. I can not imagine how her sister and brother must be feeling. We have been told by the family that this is happening....they are receiving no support from LE. They would not be fighting so hard if LE was supporting from behind would they? LE would leave family floundering???

perico
05-17-2011, 02:43 PM
It's why I've stated from the getgo that it's going to take outside pressure, and that the town of Signal Mtn. will have to be dragged kicking and screaming through this.

jd3223
05-17-2011, 02:45 PM

Updated story from today's "press conference"

sophieness
05-17-2011, 02:47 PM
I half expected Janice to say in her drawl, "It doesn't really matter where she is at this point, if she turns up she turns up, now if you'll excuse me I have a lunch date at Red Robin."

Poor Gail to go missing in a community like this!!

redfish
05-17-2011, 02:48 PM
Right now I am so twisted by this. I really really fear for this woman. No matter what the REAL currcumstance (sp?) of her disappearance, she is in serious trouble. With LE backup like that I would be feeling trapped and afraid. Paranoid?! You betcha. Hiding? You betcha. IF she made it away at all. moo and all that.

hollyblue
05-17-2011, 02:51 PM
Re: the investigators...

Hamilton County PIO Janice Atkinson said Hamilton County was NOT taking over the case - they are assisting. They asked for assistance with releasing information (ha - how can they need help? they aren't releasing anything) so she will be the point of contact. She also said two investigators from HCSO will be assisting SMPD.

Thank you. I did get that turned around. I'm hoping they are holding back info and are speculatiing foul play. When ask about AL LE's involvement she didn't want to comment. Wish we had transcript of the presser.

lillygator
05-17-2011, 02:52 PM
this really shows the community in a bad light don't ya think? I sure as heck would not want to live there...god help anyone's safety around that place.

Columbo
05-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Columbo, I hope you are right. I really do. But I felt like I had been hit in the gut following that. I can not imagine how her sister and brother must be feeling. We have been told by the family that this is happening....they are receiving no support from LE. They would not be fighting so hard if LE was supporting from behind would they? LE would leave family floundering???

redfish---It's awful. The woman who spoke sounded so blase, like she couldn't be bothered with the case. I wonder if she is under constraint not to reveal her own opinion--I mean, she did say there was "always hope" that Gail might contact her family. Which to me says that she is fearing foul play. Questioned about possible LE searches she hinted that there might be something later on this week. But she seemed too calm about it. JMO

I can't imagine the anguish her brother and sister must be feeling.

Although there is no crime scene, etc, yet, the lack of support from the local LE is reminding me of this new book by Ann Rule. (Hope it's okay to mention it? I have no axe to grind). It's about a case (Ronda Reynolds in WA) that was ruled as a suicide, and despite strong proof and evidence to the contrary, LE refused to admit that it could be a homicide, threw away evidence, mishandled the crime scene, etc etc. Just maddening incompetence!!!!

hollyblue
05-17-2011, 02:58 PM
The spokeswoman looked bored and annoyed by the whole thing, especially that reporters would have questions. Gail's sister was a HEARTBREAKER. it is about time MP said SOMETHING, so thank him for that. I don't expect LE to investigate him or anyone else ANYTIME soon based on the spokeswoman's responses, anyway. she looked like she had to do this on her lunch hour or something.

I'm sure his attorney pressed for him to do the media pr routine. I don't believe it was on his own merit. Especially after seeing his comfort level in doing so. FWIW.

dreamweaver
05-17-2011, 03:00 PM
http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=14661367&updated
At a news conference this afternoon, a representative of the Sheriff's Office said two detectives are aiding the Signal Mountain Police in the search for Gail Palmgren.

The spokesperson for the Sheriff's Office said Palmgren's disappearance is still being treated as a missing person investigation and that there are no suspects at this time.

bbm

ThoughtFox
05-17-2011, 03:01 PM
As a local, this is what I think ~ Hamilton County Police are being told by Signal Mountain that this is their jurisdiction and their case. I am 100% sure that Signal Mt. knows people think they can't handle it on their own, so in some macho way they want to prove that wrong.

But Hamilton County would be remiss if they didn't step in and they know it, so they are "helping" but you can bet that behind the scenes they are telling cops to look everywhere for this woman because they are the only ones with the ability to look beyond the mountain.

I would not say they are doing "nothing." I'm sure both police departments are feeling the pressure from the famiy on both sides (the Nowacki family wanting them to search, and Matt Palmgren wanting them to back off).

I believe now that this case is going to have to go nationwide and some big celebrity to take notice of it before they will step it up.

Janice Atkinson always sounds dry and bored, and that can be good because she doesn't spread rumors or anything like that. She's a professional.

Columbo
05-17-2011, 03:02 PM
I'm sure his attorney pressed for him to do the media pr routine. I don't believe it was on his own merit. Especially after seeing his comfort level in doing so. FWIW.

bolded by me.

Yeah--slapping his pocket, slapping the podium...I don't know...

redfish
05-17-2011, 03:03 PM
OK I am a little calmer now. But very determined to find Gail. I have been thinking about the Saturday morning and the day she was last seen.

They fight on Friday night. It now seems obvious to me they fought over division of property and custody of the children. That is what would have been happening in my house under the same situation that we now know was occuring.

Gail takes the children to the lake house for a cool down period. It is important for her (thinking from my perspective) to get back and settle the issues. She probably had no intention of abandoning her home or her children.

She calls and lets husband know she is on her way and they agree to meet at the house. When she arrives she discovers he did not stay there the night before and goes out without the children to see if he is in the suspected place. He is. Confrontation insues away from residence.

How does that sound? Its a theory anyway....

sophieness
05-17-2011, 03:04 PM
"Janice Atkinson always sounds dry and bored, and that can be good because she doesn't spread rumors or anything like that. She's a professional."

I wouldn't expect a spokeswoman to sound emotional, I was just taken aback by just how bored she sounded....like it wasn't a pressing or serious issue, at all.

sophieness
05-17-2011, 03:06 PM
OK I am a little calmer now. But very determined to find Gail. I have been thinking about the Saturday morning and the day she was last seen.

They fight on Friday night. It now seems obvious to me they fought over division of property and custody of the children. That is what would have been happening in my house under the same situation that we now know was occuring.

Gail takes the children to the lake house for a cool down period. It is important for her (thinking from my perspective) to get back and settle the issues. She probably had no intention of abandoning her home or her children.

She calls and lets husband know she is on her way and they agree to meet at the house. When she arrives she discovers he did not stay there the night before and goes out without the children to see if he is in the suspected place. He is. Confrontation insues away from residence.

How does that sound? Its a theory anyway....

but he supposedly arrived home ten minutes after her? what I REALLY want to know is, if he left again, when, and for how long, and whether he was by himself at any time, away from home, that day or night after gail dropped them off. What was he doing the next day? did he go to his next scheduled workday? how often were the kids left with his mother during that time in the next few days, and why?

Columbo
05-17-2011, 03:06 PM
As a local, this is what I think ~ Hamilton County Police are being told by Signal Mountain that this is their jurisdiction and their case. I am 100% sure that Signal Mt. knows people think they can't handle it on their own, so in some macho way they want to prove that wrong.

But Hamilton County would be remiss if they didn't step in and they know it, so they are "helping" but you can bet that behind the scenes they are telling cops to look everywhere for this woman because they are the only ones with the ability to look beyond the mountain.

I would not say they are doing "nothing." I'm sure both police departments are feeling the pressure from the famiy on both sides (the Nowacki family wanting them to search, and Matt Palmgren wanting them to back off).

I believe now that this case is going to have to go nationwide and some big celebrity to take notice of it before they will step it up.

Janice Atkinson always sounds dry and bored, and that can be good because she doesn't spread rumors or anything like that. She's a professional.

Thanks for your take on all this. When you say a celebrity will have to take notice to get things moving faster, I wonder,has the case been featured on AMW yet?

I also wonder if the police don't want to investigate because of MP's status in his job --even though he is on administrative leave now? Could they be fearful of him because of his position? Just a thought.

redfish
05-17-2011, 03:10 PM

Thoughtfox, thank you for your post and local input. The Thanks button is great but I really needed to post a personal thanx! Your perspective restores my hope. I have great respect for law enforcement as a whole and grieve over the few bad seeds we come across!

sophieness
[/B]bolded by me.

Yeah--slapping his pocket, slapping the podium...I don't know...

"gulping" several times. I always question my fiance closely when he does that after I ask a question...like are you getting your wedding ring soon? (*gulp*) it is always something that seems to stand out to me lol.

perico
Thanks for your take on all this. When you say a celebrity will have to take notice to get things moving faster, I wonder,has the case been featured on AMW yet?

No, she's only listed by law enforcement as "missing."

crystalgenie
05-17-2011, 03:11 PM
Wow, the husband was twitchy! I remember the last person I saw this twitchy was... (See Kyron Horman case.)

I think the husband was put on admin leave because someone snitched. If he is a upper level employee he would placed on admin leave for sleeping with a subordinate. This story broke and I guarantee someone snitched and told who the mistress was.

I wonder who was stalking GP. I was stalked for five years and that is frightening especially if you do not know who the stalker is. I didn't.

I also do not believe that there were any mental issues because why would the le let her take the kids to Ala.

I hope this hasn't turned into southern politics at its finest. :sick:

Does anyone know the job title of the husband and just how high up in the company he is?

hollyblue
05-17-2011, 03:14 PM
but he supposedly arrived home ten minutes after her? what I REALLY want to know is, if he left again, when, and for how long, and whether he was by himself at any time, away from home, that day or night after gail dropped them off. What was he doing the next day? did he go to his next scheduled workday? how often were the kids left with his mother during that time in the next few days, and why?

Maybe I'm forgetting something in the angst of the PC:crazy:, but I don't recall this? Do you have a link with 10 min info? TIA

sophieness
05-17-2011, 03:18 PM
Wow, the husband was twitchy! I remember the last person I saw this twitchy was... (See Kyron Horman case.)

I think the husband was put on admin leave because someone snitched. If he is a upper level employee he would placed on admin leave for sleeping with a subordinate. This story broke and I guarantee someone snitched and told who the mistress was.

I wonder who was stalking GP. I was stalked for five years and that is frightening especially if you do not know who the stalker is. I didn't.

I also do not believe that there were any mental issues because why would the le let her take the kids to Ala.

I hope this hasn't turned into southern politics at its finest. :sick:

Does anyone know the job title of the husband and just how high up in the company he is?

I think he handles medicare policies etc for BCBST? his title is something like director of government business. to me, while a very respectable job and likely quite high paying, it is not one I find intimidating in any way. it's medicare for crying out loud, healthcare for the elderly not for the mob. and any respectable police officer (not all of them are...no offense) wouldn't care about it and would immediately be suspicious of any pressure from anybody not to investigate him as a potential suspect. IF they took the case seriously at all and were not sure she disappeared voluntarily.

SDT
05-17-2011, 03:21 PM
There HAS to be more that LE knows for them to be so blah about this. I just wish they would say so. I had to stop following the Holly Bobo case because of the lack of information. You can only sleuth so long with ZERO information. Please let this case go differently. PLEASE!!!

sophieness
05-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Maybe I'm forgetting something in the angst of the PC:crazy:, but I don't recall this? Do you have a link with 10 min info? TIA

it's a ways back...something SB said, was not from the PC. will search for and post it soon.

redfish
05-17-2011, 03:23 PM

This is according to who's timeline? His? What do the children say? I am not arguing just saying at this point facts are coming only from husband. And those are sketchy. Having her phone records and cell phone pings would paint a much clearer timeline and picture.

Her sister probably can fill in some blanks herself (thinking back to her conversation with her that morning) she does indicate panic in her call. What time was this call? Had Gail already arrived home and left again?

MacGyver
05-17-2011, 03:24 PM
bolded by me.

I do.
Combined with all the weird stuff he's been doing (filing a restraining order, etc) and the apparent lack of compassion for his wife, "uncharacteristically jittery" could mean a lot more than stress about his wife being missing, which he obviously doesn't seem to care about.
As angry as he might be at her, a situation like this should make him forget the anger.
Of course, this is just my opinion and I certainly could be wrong.

Love how he said, "the children love you." No mention about him, but we already knew that, right?

Shelby1
05-17-2011, 03:24 PM
Sheesh, if Gail did disappear voluntarily, then she should just stay in Signal Mountain--the best town in which not to be found.

Columbo
05-17-2011, 03:26 PM
No, she's only listed by law enforcement as "missing."

AMW takes on missing persons cases all the time, though.

hollyblue
05-17-2011, 03:29 PM
Thoughtfox, thank you for your post and local input. The Thanks button is great but I really needed to post a personal thanx! Your perspective restores my hope. I have great respect for law enforcement as a whole and grieve over the few bad seeds we come across!

I agree with all the above...and special thanks to TF too. We appreciate all the views and help from locals.:seeya:

I'm going to take the high road at this point with LE and just say....LE is allowed to stretch the truth in investigations. Her not wanting to say anything about the AL LE may be a clue. If they are talking with LE in AL, (AD at the lake) then there is a possibility that the FBI does at least have an ear in the matter. Hoping that's the case...anyway.

Columbo
05-17-2011, 03:32 PM
Love how he said, "the children love you." No mention about him, but we already knew that, right?

bolded by me.

Now THAT is interesting, MacGyver!!! The sound was so bad, I didn't hear this right! I thought he said "we love you".

Shelby1
05-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Do we know if MP's mom and dad were at the "press conference"?

Are Gail's folks there?

redfish
There are so many scenarios I can come up with in regard to this type of situation. These divorce cases all have pretty common characteristics and vary according to the individual personalities involved. It is the little things about this one that bother me the most. Gail leaving her id and credit cards behind. Walking away from her children. She is a very well educated woman who has to have more sense than that. Cruel thing to think about but in a divorce the children make a big difference in how the material elements are divided in a divorce case. No matter what else kind of person she is I don't think this woman would walk away from everything unless she is in fear for her life. Maybe someone else can come up with a logical explaination.

hollyblue

Doesn't the local investigating LE have to give the OK tho?

mominboots
05-17-2011, 03:40 PM
I also wonder if the police don't want to investigate because of MP's status in his job --even though he is on administrative leave now? Could they be fearful of him because of his position? Just a thought.

ah, no! I can assure you that is not the case.

Columbo
05-17-2011, 03:47 PM
Doesn't the local investigating LE have to give the OK tho?

I don't know! You are probably right.

KathyJ
05-17-2011, 03:49 PM
Do you think perhaps that MP has told so many stories of an unhappy marriage that these keystone cops are believing him? They think she may have just took off? Seriously! Someone is missing and the circumstances should not matter. What are others in Gail's family saying about this whole situation??

redfish
05-17-2011, 03:52 PM
I know a few women who do not carry purses. They stick their id and credit cards in their pocket and just can't be bothered with a purse. Is Gail one of those? I hope her sister will answer. Then I can put the worrisome little tidbit away! I carry entirely too much junk around with me... my wallet is full of things I can't function without. Extra glasses and meds. If I am ever without them something is definitely wrong!

suzyq211
05-17-2011, 04:01 PM
I know a few women who do not carry purses. They stick their id and credit cards in their pocket and just can't be bothered with a purse. Is Gail one of those? I hope her sister will answer. Then I can put the worrisome little tidbit away! I carry entirely too much junk around with me... my wallet is full of things I can't function without. Extra glasses and meds. If I am ever without them something is definitely wrong!

I wondered about that, too. Did she leave her purse behind, containing DL and credit cards? Or was her wallet OUT of her purse? Did she even carry a purse?

jrb0124
05-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Here's a transcript of the press conference for those who can't hear it or pull it up at work:

Janice Atkinson (JA)

JA: we are passing out info sheet to press would ask that any further requests for info come directly to my office

Diane: my name is Diane Nichols I am Gail Palmgren's sister...she's been missing since April 30th (voice breaking - emotional) and we have not seen or heard from her since then. My family asks for your help in finding her - we're asking for the public's help, I'm only one person and this is quite a large area, to cover..please...if anyone has seen her or the vehicle please call police immediately. Call 911 if you can't remember the number. That number, for the Signal Mt Police is 423-886-2123 or call 911 immediately. Her vehicle is a 2010 Jeep Rubicon 4 door with a black soft top. It has license plate that's "Eazy St". please, if anyone has any information on this behicle call police immediately. If you've seen my sister she 44 yrs old she's 5' 8" tall weighs approx 135 pounds has blonde hair and brown eyes - please! she's got 2 little kids at home that miss their mommy, I'm begging you please help us find my sister. Gail, if you're out there somewhere and you can hear this. please call me, call the police, we love you - there are people concerned about you that love you and miss you. Please contact somebody we love you we miss you please come home. Thank you (leaves podium)

MP: Thank you. As you can tell its been a rough 2 weeks for the family. I'd like to start off by saying thank you to chief dale(?), detective Tissio, uh all my neigbors have been out Diane coming down all my family that's helped us look, uh, for Gail. And as you can see (referring to the info sheet I assume?) the jeep has been spotted a few times out there so we're asking for anybody who's seen that to immediately contact their local police and let us know to get more clues to where Gail could be. So...for myself, we've done everything in our power to finding Gail. We've hired a private investigator, we continue to look, we're turning over everything we can. So, as Diane says its like "yell if you hear us", please come forward, [#### and #### love you?], and please, please show yourself soon. I hope everyone keeps us in their thoughts and prayers. Thank You. (leaves podium)

JA: okay, this will conclude the press conference.

R: Janice do we ask questions of you or do we do that on an individual basis?

JA: There will not be any responses on the investigation today. As I said, when infomation can be released - it will be released immediately.

R: does that mean it will be released from your office? are you guys taking the lead on the investigation?

JA: we're not taking the lead...we're assisting: they have asked us to help with the media

R: so the investigators are not involved just the public information office at this point?

JA: we have 2 investigators that are 'assisting' SMPD

R: Have you guys worked at all with Alabama authorities? there's mention of a lake house, is it possible that agencies there will get involved?

JA: well as I said, no investigative information will be released right now

R2: Janice can you tell us what kind of efforts are being made to find her by the police dept if you can't comment on the details yet?

JA: every effort, every avenue to locate her is being done by SMPD and HCSO.

R2: can you tell us if there have been any searches that have been done? officers going out and looking in certain areas where she might be?

JA: not from the sheriff's office standpoint. There is a plan for something later on this week.

R2: Is there anything about the 'spotting' you say her jeep has been spotted can you elaborate on that?

JA: the only thing I can say about that is every lead that has been passed back to LE has been investigated or is in the process of being investigated

R: are there any suspects in the case at this point or are there anyone that has been able to provide lead information that you've been able to gain anything from?

JA: at this point its a missing persons re- .. investigation, so .. suspects - none.

R2: Janice is there any reason for the investigation to believe there may be foul play? I know as you stress in the press release here its a missing persons case but is there anything that leads to to believe something may have happened to her?

JA: That's always a possibility and will be loked into by LE

R: Janice, how does this compare to other missing cases that we've done in out area - what are the similarities? what are the differences? does this one stand out to you?

JA: I don't think there are a lot of differences, each case is unique within itself. From a LE standpoint we treat every missing persons report the same. We make every effort to locate that

R: A lot has been said about "on air" especially 'Gail if you hear this call us'... is there the possibility that she still might be somewhere listening to what's broadcasted - and that might be a way oroption of getting her home?

JA: There is only hope that she is still there...listening...and she will respond...especially to her family members

R3: [question inaudible]

JA: she has been placed in the national missing person registry

JA: okay, that's all I have, thank you.

whimdriven
05-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Fox apparently announced today that America's Most Wanted is being canceled :( Mr. Walsh is, however, seeking other networks for his show.

suzyq211
05-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Here's a transcript of the press conference for those who can't hear it or pull it up at work:

And as you can see (referring to the info sheet I assume?) the jeep has been spotted a few times out there

<snipped>

Well, thats something new, right? I havent seen that reported anywhere, or am I mistaken??

Shelby1
05-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Fox apparently announced today that America's Most Wanted is being canceled :( Mr. Walsh is, however, seeking other networks for his show.

You're kidding! :sick:

Well, In Sessions for sure should pick that up in a heartbeat.

RWB
05-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Have been following story know that several things husband has said are false would love to go into the detail but would assume that his defense team is now monitoring this site. While watching him in the video IMO he is hiding something. i believe she knew she was being watched and if you look at her neighborhood there is only one way in and one way out and they live on a dead end street you just can not drive by but have to circle around their house to exit.

hollyblue
05-17-2011, 04:31 PM
Good Lord, I was just checking for TN missing person sites and got a sex ad!

SignalMountain Guy
05-17-2011, 04:38 PM
this really shows the community in a bad light don't ya think? I sure as heck would not want to live there...god help anyone's safety around that place.

I've lived on Signal Mountain for the last three years. Its an affluent bedroom community - mostly families with children. There is very little crime here - I doubt most people even lock their doors at night. There has never been a murder as far as I know. My guess is that it is precisely because its so safe here normally that the local police are out of their league on this one. Catching speeders, dealing with problem teenagers, and the occasional domestic disturbance probably don't give these guys much experience in dealing with this kind of investigation.

For those interested, here are the crime statistics and a whole range of other data on Signal Mountain:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Signal-Mountain-Tennessee.html

kikidee
05-17-2011, 04:43 PM
I sure wish we knew what Gail said to her kids when she left. Where did she tell them she was going??

hollyblue
05-17-2011, 04:56 PM
The family needs to get in touch with NG, JVM or GMA asking to get the word out about GP nationally. People need to know there are many people looking and concerned for her. Show the poster and give her FB missing website. imo

tiredblondy
05-17-2011, 05:03 PM
:Welcome1: Welcome RBW.

tiredblondy
05-17-2011, 05:06 PM
:Welcome1: Welcome Signal Mtn Guy

ThoughtFox
05-17-2011, 05:08 PM
I've lived on Signal Mountain for the last three years. Its an affluent bedroom community - mostly families with children. There is very little crime here - I doubt most people even lock their doors at night. There has never been a murder as far as I know.

Welcome to Websleuths! :welcome5:

I don't think you've lived there long enough, but I'm sure the Chamber of Commerce and all the real estate agents don't tell newcomers about the murder history of Signal Mt.

There have actually been some unusual murders and violent crime there, one that was on Unsolved Mysteries known as . . . The Signal Mountain Murders of 1988.

The Signal Mountain Murders (http://www.jcs-group.com/enigma/crimes/casteel.html)

Sunday morning, July 10, 1988 a search party was organized to find the victims. Officer Larry Sneed of the Hamilton County Sheriff’s Department responded to a call and found three ATVs dumped in an illegal dumpsite. Two of those ATVs were covered in blood. Bone chips were recovered from one of the ATVs. These were later found to be pieces of a skull that had been hit by a bullet. Police began referring to this area as “Crime Scene I.” After finding out that the ATVs had been found, Lee Griffith, one of the victims’ brother, was driving home to tell his mother about the news when his vehicle began having trouble. He stopped a jeep, coincidentally driven by Casteel, and asked for a ride. Casteel gave Mr. Griffith a ride, and Mr. Griffith noticed that the jeep was wet in the back. Mr. Griffith thought that the water in the jeep was unusual because it had not rained recently.

On Monday, July 11, 1988, the search party began searching the “Helican Road,” which was more of a trail that crossed the Casteel’s property and led to the blue hole. As the party began to search the Helican Road, they arrived at the “gate,”in actuality an area where a gate used to be. They noticed that the area around the gate had been manicured, or cleaned so much that it looked unusual. There, the search party found spots of blood and what would later be identified as brain tissue. A more thorough search uncovered a pocketknife belonging to one of the victims and, outside the manicured area, large pools of blood. A police dog later found more blood in the area. Police eventually called this area “Crime Scene II.”

You can read the rest of the story there or find lots of articles about the trial(s) of the killer Frank Casteel, who eventually had a mistress who flipped on him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIvgRHMR3Yw

More recently:

2009: Chiropractor Shot By Wife (http://www.newschannel9.com/articles/responding-982724-shooting-signal.html)

That wasn't really a death, though. Just another family squabble. :innocent:

And the one I remember the most because I knew a friend of this family (who also became rather paranoid at the time, believe me): the brutal murder of Robert Mosher. I was in college at the time and it was startling that this would happen on Signal Mountain.

1982 ~ The Death Of Robert Mosher (http://alnussbaum.com/resources/pages/lvl_1/introduction_i.htm)

In 1982, Bobby Randell Wilcoxson was paroled from Leavenworth Penitentiary, Kansas, into the Chattanooga, Tennessee area. Before the year's end, Wilcoxson would murder again.

Robert Mosher of Signal Mountain, Tennessee, a swank country club suburb of Chattanooga, was a chemical engineer with the Dupont company. According to court records, his second wife, Evelyn Faye Mosher, developed a very expensive drug addiction that nearly bankrupted the Mosher family. Already connected by drug dealers to the seedy underbelly of the Chattanooga criminal network, Evelyn Mosher put the word out - she would pay anyone who would murder her husband and make it look like an accident. Robert Mosher's life insurance paid double for accidents.

One of Wilcoxson's fellow ex-cons from Leavenworth mentioned Evelyn Mosher's need to Wilcoxson.

"If she hires me," Wilcoxson told the con, "she's getting the meanest son-of-a-***** she's ever seen in her life."

In December, 1982, Evelyn Mosher gave Wilcoxson a key to the Mosher family house. Wilcoxson and an accomplice went to the Mosher's Signal Mountain home before Robert Mosher was due from work. They ransacked the place to give the illusion of a burglary, then they waited for Robert Mosher to arrive.

The intruders captured Mosher in his garage, duct tapped his hands behind his back and took him into the kitchen. There, Wilcoxson and his accomplice stood Mosher on a step ladder and pushed him off, hoping the fall to the floor would break his neck. They repeated this several times - resulting in a good beating of Mosher but no broken neck.

Frustrated, Wilcoxson took a piece of plastic tarp and rammed it down Mosher's throat using ten inches of a mop handle.

The local police could not solve the crime and Evelyn Mosher would not talk to them. She collected $209,000 of insurance benefits but never paid Wilcoxson. In 1985, she came under the surveillance of the local police for her drug activity.

My guess is that it is precisely because its so safe here normally that the local police are out of their league on this one. Catching speeders, dealing with problem teenagers, and the occasional domestic disturbance probably don't give these guys much experience in dealing with this kind of investigation.

Believe me, the police know it's no more safe there than in the valley. That's not to say it is crime-ridden, but anyone who grew up here knows that as much drug dealing, drug taking, gambling, and everything else goes on up there as anywhere else.

As I say, it is mainly the Chamber of Commerce that is in denial, not the cops. If they are lucky, traffic stops are the only thing that happens up there. As others have written, there is a pattern of keeping things hush-hush as long as possible.

hollyblue
05-17-2011, 05:20 PM
Per Channel 3's FB, a woman, LBS, states there was a tape of GP taking the $420K. LBS's FB shows one of MP's brothers as a friend. FWIW

SuziQ
05-17-2011, 05:25 PM
This is the first I've heard of the Robert Mosher case.....no words.

Emeralgem
05-17-2011, 05:25 PM
1982 ~ The Death Of Robert Mosher

Quote:
In 1982, Bobby Randell Wilcoxson was paroled from Leavenworth Penitentiary, Kansas, into the Chattanooga, Tennessee area. Before the year's end, Wilcoxson would murder again.

Robert Mosher of Signal Mountain, Tennessee, a swank country club suburb of Chattanooga, was a chemical engineer with the Dupont company. According to court records, his second wife, Evelyn Faye Mosher, developed a very expensive drug addiction that nearly bankrupted the Mosher family. Already connected by drug dealers to the seedy underbelly of the Chattanooga criminal network, Evelyn Mosher put the word out - she would pay anyone who would murder her husband and make it look like an accident. Robert Mosher's life insurance paid double for accidents.

One of Wilcoxson's fellow ex-cons from Leavenworth mentioned Evelyn Mosher's need to Wilcoxson.

"If she hires me," Wilcoxson told the con, "she's getting the meanest son-of-a-***** she's ever seen in her life."

In December, 1982, Evelyn Mosher gave Wilcoxson a key to the Mosher family house. Wilcoxson and an accomplice went to the Mosher's Signal Mountain home before Robert Mosher was due from work. They ransacked the place to give the illusion of a burglary, then they waited for Robert Mosher to arrive.

The intruders captured Mosher in his garage, duct tapped his hands behind his back and took him into the kitchen. There, Wilcoxson and his accomplice stood Mosher on a step ladder and pushed him off, hoping the fall to the floor would break his neck. They repeated this several times - resulting in a good beating of Mosher but no broken neck.

Frustrated, Wilcoxson took a piece of plastic tarp and rammed it down Mosher's throat using ten inches of a mop handle.

The local police could not solve the crime and Evelyn Mosher would not talk to them. She collected $209,000 of insurance benefits but never paid Wilcoxson. In 1985, she came under the surveillance of the local police for her drug activity.

Snipped..

O/T...I remember that and knew her from Moda Tienda Beauty Salon many years ago....She was a tall blonde.. Didn't she take his daughter to a concert that night so no one would suspect she was involved? She craved attention from good looking men and IIRC a very good looking undercover agent was the one who got her to admit what she did..She was a real piece of work..Do you know IF she is still in jail? JMHO

ThoughtFox
05-17-2011, 05:26 PM
This is the first I've heard of the Robert Mosher case.....no words.

When I first started searching, it had been so long I almost couldn't remember his name. But that was a huge case back in the 80s! :(

ThoughtFox
05-17-2011, 05:28 PM
O/T...I remember that and knew her from Moda Tienda Beauty Salon many years ago....She was a tall blonde.. Didn't she take his daughter to a concert that night so no one would suspect she was involved? She craved attention from good looking men and IIRC a very good looking undercover agent was the one who got her to admit what she did..She was a real piece of work..Do you know IF she is still in jail? JMHO

OMG - Moda Tienda! :) I never went there - I was a college student at the time, and more of a hippy, lol.

I don't recall what the outcome was. I'll have to look around for some articles when I get the time (I'm supposed to be cooking supper at this minute, LOL, and instead I'm on WS). :crazy:

SignalMountain Guy
05-17-2011, 05:38 PM
Welcome to Websleuths! :welcome5:

I don't think you've lived there long enough, but I'm sure the Chamber of Commerce and all the real estate agents don't tell newcomers about the murder history of Signal Mt.

There have actually been some unusual murders and violent crime there

Thanks for the quick history ThoughtFox - I'm a bit disturbed now :)

I still feel relatively safe in comparison to the kind of violence that seems commonplace every day in Chattanooga, but obviously we are not immune.

I haven't seen the video yet, but did it seem like the police were slow to respond to the 1988 murder? What did it take to get that one solved?

Emeralgem
05-17-2011, 05:52 PM

I still feel relatively safe in comparison to the kind of violence that seems commonplace every day in Chattanooga, but obviously we are not immune.

I haven't seen the video yet, but did it seem like the police were slow to respond to the 1988 murder? What did it take to get that one solved?

IIRC... It was a couple of years later..Seems LE set her up.. To their advantage she had a weakness for good looking men and an undercover agent with "gorgeous" eyes got her to spill everything...JMHO

ETA..Sorry, I responded in regards to the Mosher case being solved... I didn't realize you werent talking about the Mosher case...

sophieness
05-17-2011, 06:03 PM
ok holly I got the ten minute thing from the last comment here: http://timesfreepress.com/news/2011/may/12/missing-womans-husband-seeks-custody-children/ from someone who claims to know gail and the neighbors side of the story.

kikidee
05-17-2011, 06:09 PM
I have registered Gail on NamUs, a national missing persons system. But I think it needs more info, if maybe someone can supply the police info.

ThoughtFox
05-17-2011, 06:44 PM

There may have been some delay getting a search warrant for the property. I hate to say because it's been a while since I studied the case, and I'd have to go back and watch Unsolved Mysteries to get it right.

What it took to get it solved was finding the bodies, which they did, buried in the woods. What it took for a conviction was several trials. Casteel's wife stayed loyal to him, but his girlfriend turned state's evidence and she had taped him on the phone saying stuff about the cover-up. I'm not sure if they allowed those tapes to be played, but he was convicted anyway.

Here's the Crime Stoppers that was shown on Channel 3 before it was solved. It has a reenactment of the events leading up to the dissapearance of the three men. It would be nice to see a reenactment of the Palmgren case with a reward attached like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eOyIkya9g4

fran
05-17-2011, 08:07 PM
Its recorded and posted now (the 8 minute press conference).

Here is a link to it (http://movie.twitcasting.tv/calliestarnes/movie/1606773)

I was gone much of the day. So I didn't see the news conference until now. I had earlier heard that Gail's husband had attended.

:whoosh: After watching this so called 'news conference,' all I can say is..... :thud:

Let me catch up.

fran

fran
05-17-2011, 08:10 PM

I'm definitely no expert! But I've been around for awhile.

nothing
yes
no

:maddening:

JMHO
fran

jrb0124
05-17-2011, 08:12 PM
:aktion1:
Per Channel 3's FB, a woman, LBS, states there was a tape of GP taking the $420K. LBS's FB shows one of MP's brothers as a friend. FWIW

Withdrawing $420K from a joint account on a single day without the other signatory's authorization? I don't think so. I'd be shocked if she (or MP for that matter) could have withdrawn even $5K cash in a day. I call BS on this... :aktion1:

fran
05-17-2011, 08:25 PM

I believe this PC said what it means, and means what it said.

LE isn't doing anything except waiting for Gail to return.

Gail's sister is in shambles and doing everything she can, without any help from LE or the husband.

The husband waited how many weeks to put a plea out to Gail?
The husband said himself, when he was saying she's done this before, 'but she always stayed in touch with the children.'

The husband's hired criminal defense attorneys accompanying him to the pc, speaks VOLUMES!

Unfortunately, I think we saw the uphill battle that those who CARE for Gail are faced in order to get SOMEONE to REALLY look for Gail.

I admit, this doesn't look good for Gail IF she's NOT out there somewhere and someone did something to her. I can see the names STEBIC or
STACY PETERSON written all over this unsolved bin this is headed for!

Oh My Goodness!

:mad:
JMHO
fran

PS>.....oh, does anyone know if Matt gave out his new cell phone number IF his wife decided to call? Or does he already know, she won't be needing it, after all? :(

fraudqueen
05-17-2011, 08:36 PM

Withdrawing $420K from a joint account on a single day without the other signatory's authorization? I don't think so. I'd be shocked if she (or MP for that matter) could have withdrawn even $5K cash in a day. I call BS on this... :aktion1:

agree, don't believe it either, IMO

redfish
05-17-2011, 08:37 PM
I believe this PC said what it means, and means what it said.

LE isn't doing anything except waiting for Gail to return.

Gail's sister is in shambles and doing everything she can, without any help from LE or the husband.

The husband waited how many weeks to put a plea out to Gail?
The husband said himself, when he was saying she's done this before, 'but she always stayed in touch with the children.'

The husband's hired criminal defense attorneys accompanying him to the pc, speaks VOLUMES!

Unfortunately, I think we saw the uphill battle that those who CARE for Gail are faced in order to get SOMEONE to REALLY look for Gail.

I admit, this doesn't look good for Gail IF she's NOT out there somewhere and someone did something to her. I can see the names STEBIC or
STACY PETERSON written all over this unsolved bin this is headed for!

Oh My Goodness!

:mad:
JMHO
fran

PS>.....oh, does anyone know if Matt gave out his new cell phone number IF his wife decided to call? Or does he already know, she won't be needing it, after all? :(

Fran, BBM

I think he filed a restraining order instead.

fran
05-17-2011, 08:37 PM

OT

Just fyi, AMW is on a break, I don't know why. But then I read that FOX had cancelled them.

Take that fwiw,
fran

PS....otoh, there's Nancy Grace, JVM, I guess that's all......maybe they could get some traction....fran

Columbo
05-17-2011, 08:39 PM

And what a coincidence, the person who makes this claim also says what a "great dad" MP is to look out for his children like he is doing. Ummhmmmmm...

whimdriven
05-17-2011, 08:40 PM
OT

Just fyi, AMW is on a break, I don't know why. But then I read that FOX had cancelled them.

Take that fwiw,
fran

PS....otoh, there's Nancy Grace, JVM, I guess that's all......maybe they could get some traction....fran

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-fox-cancels-americas-most-wanted-show-helped-solve-some-local-cases-20110516,0,5549397.story

AMW on Fox is toast. Two hour specials to conclude the series between now and June.

cloudajo
05-17-2011, 08:42 PM
UPDATE: Sheriff assisting in search for missing mother
Posted: May 17, 2011 12:30 PM EDT Updated: May 17, 2011 6:27 PM EDT

Watch this video. Starting at 00:55, a dispatcher is communicating a "be on the lookout" broadcast. At 01:08, it shows the dispatcher's screen. There are several entries regarding Gail. One says "She has left various items w/friends in case something happened to her"

Attached is the screenshot.

fran
05-17-2011, 08:43 PM

AMW has to have cooperation from the local LE.

Do you see that happening here?

fran

Columbo
05-17-2011, 08:45 PM
AMW has to have cooperation from the local LE.

Do you see that happening here?

fran

Maybe when pigs fly.

revampz
05-17-2011, 08:53 PM
One thing we can be sure of is that what ever has happened to this lady, has happened because of a pending very very ugly divorce and probably custody battle.

This relationship was nearly at the divorce stage. And for us who have been or nearly been there, you can just imagine what their fights were like, especially as this pair would have had a bit of money and assets to fight over. ie " I'll tell them you were nuts and you wont get the children"........"I'll take the house and half the money in the bank account and you'll have to pay me alimony as well".........and that is putting it nicely!

It has been said that he also abused her mentally and physically, so I am betting things like "I'll hire someone to bump you off" may have been said and maybe often and this may be why she was paranoid about cars following her, and who is not to say that he didnt hire a PI to try and take photos to substantiate she was nuts etc or scare her. It is happening all of the time.

I am sure this lady was a wreck because of the stresses and what would have been said to her and threats made.

I am also sure that this divorce was to be ugly because of money and children.

It would be so much easier for him if she wasnt around wouldnt it....gets the kids, the house, the money and the girlfriend with no huge court battles.

It also would make sense that she would run from this tense situation to get her head together with the view of returning to fight for custody of the children.

What doesnt make sense is running without a credit card unless she had cash, and now after this amount of time, not making any contact with anyone.

Have they searched the mountain for any car wrecks???? I really dont like the idea of the neighbour confirming she may have been followed. Maybe he doesnt have blood on his hands, he just paid for it.

MOO

cloudajo
05-17-2011, 09:01 PM
In the Julie Ann Gonzalez case, she went missing and her husband told LE she left their daughter with him to go away for the weekend. There were messages posted from her mobile phone to her Facebook saying she wanted to get away but her family said the posts didn't sound like her and she'd never leave her daughter (she was trying to get a divorce from husband). It was speculated that husband used her mobile and posted those messages himself. Anyway, LE bought the husband's story and didn't do much until her family contacted Jane Velez-Mitchell and Jane aired the story multiple times. Then all of a sudden LE got a search warrant and gave a statement (Julie Ann is still missing).

As others have mentioned, it would be good if we could all contact Jane Velez-Mitchell about Gail. I sent an email via website and regular email - below is link to comment form and email address.

http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form5.html?106
Jane@CNN.com

redfish
05-17-2011, 09:04 PM
One thing we can be sure of is that what ever has happened to this lady, has happened because of a pending very very ugly divorce and probably custody battle.

This relationship was nearly at the divorce stage. And for us who have been or nearly been there, you can just imagine what their fights were like, especially as this pair would have had a bit of money and assets to fight over. ie " I'll tell them you were nuts and you wont get the children"........"I'll take the house and half the money in the bank account and you'll have to pay me alimony as well".........and that is putting it nicely!

It has been said that he also abused her mentally and physically, so I am betting things like "I'll hire someone to bump you off" may have been said and maybe often and this may be why she was paranoid about cars following her, and who is not to say that he didnt hire a PI to try and take photos to substantiate she was nuts etc or scare her. It is happening all of the time.

I am sure this lady was a wreck because of the stresses and what would have been said to her and threats made.

I am also sure that this divorce was to be ugly because of money and children.

It would be so much easier for him if she wasnt around wouldnt it....gets the kids, the house, the money and the girlfriend with no huge court battles.

It also would make sense that she would run from this tense situation to get her head together with the view of returning to fight for custody of the children.

What doesnt make sense is running without a credit card unless she had cash, and now after this amount of time, not making any contact with anyone.

Have they searched the mountain for any car wrecks???? I really dont like the idea of the neighbour confirming she may have been followed. Maybe he doesnt have blood on his hands, he just paid for it.

MOO

I agree with this type scenario... she probably never has had a history of mental disorder, but with an act like this going on she had to have been on verge of collapse. I sure hope she is resting up somewhere with a good counselor nearby.

Pearl*
05-17-2011, 09:09 PM
I'm definitely no expert! But I've been around for awhile.

nothing
yes
no

:maddening:

JMHO
fran

I love concise.... :goodpost:

cloudajo
05-17-2011, 09:15 PM

Janice Atkinson (JA)

[snipped]

R2: Janice can you tell us what kind of efforts are being made to find her by the police dept if you can't comment on the details yet?

JA: every effort, every avenue to locate her is being done by SMPD and HCSO.

R2: can you tell us if there have been any searches that have been done? officers going out and looking in certain areas where she might be?

JA: not from the sheriff's office standpoint. There is a plan for something later on this week.

[snipped]

Thank you so much for transcribing this.

BBM. Hmm, something later on this week. How's that for a sense of urgency?

How disappointing that neither Chief Boyd Veal nor Det. Tizzio were at the "press conference" to show support for Gail and the family.

Pearl*
05-17-2011, 09:31 PM

I wish I could make this make sense to me, but I can't.

If she planned to fight for them, she would never leave them. If she had wanted to run without them to "get her head together," she would not have taken them to Alabama the day before she disappeared. My opinion....unfortunately.

Furthermore, I would speculate that there must have been some plan in place to manipulate her to leave the house alone. Without the children. Whoever wanted her to disappear did not want the children to disappear with her.

ThoughtFox
05-17-2011, 09:34 PM
UPDATE: Sheriff assisting in search for missing mother
Posted: May 17, 2011 12:30 PM EDT Updated: May 17, 2011 6:27 PM EDT

Watch this video. Starting at 00:55, a dispatcher is communicating a "be on the lookout" broadcast. At 01:08, it shows the dispatcher's screen. There are several entries regarding Gail. One says "She has left various items w/friends in case something happened to her"

Attached is the screenshot.

Whoa! :websleuther: Great catch on that picture! :woohoo:

JBean
05-17-2011, 09:37 PM
I have a copy of the separation filing but have been asked not to post it, and I am going to respect that.

But there is one thing I can clarify, According to the doc, the accounts she changed the PIN on were her own retirement accounts,all in her own name.

Also, the RO is specifically a request for a temporary RO to prevent her from taking the kids out of the county.

If there is other information I can post, I will.

Thanks to fbx.