PDA

View Full Version : 2011.06.22 TRIAL Day Twenty-five (Morning Session)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

faefrost
06-22-2011, 09:38 AM
I love the expression that every single witness that JB calls seems to get on their faces as he questions them. Even his friendly hired experts.

Steely Dan
I woke up a short while ago and saw about five minutes of JB's talks with that woman and then the cross. Did he really call someone from a lab that cannot test for chloroform in hair to prove that there was no chloroform in the hair?

watcher9
Baez has found a chemist!

The Farm
OMG---Sigman---A REAL CHEMIST.

Eidetic
It causes halucinations. Just gonna have to trust me on this one. :innocent:

Oh, I know all about the K hole. I was young and dumb once :innocent:
(well, several times if we're being honest)

I was just letting everyone else know it's use. Typically vets use it as a tranquilizer but kids experiment with it and call it Special K among other street names.

jmfstl
whoohooo SW state university in Missouri

Ninsi
I just unmuted for half a second and got to hear Baez object like 3 times to His Honor's sustainment of the hearsay objection (during the Forensic Toxicologist testimony) and hear Baez umm, stumble out, "Now, the reason you do tests is to look for evidence, correct?" This resulted in immediate muting again. Seriously?:loser:

logicalgirl
One of the questions the Court Clerk should be asking these defence witnesses is ...are you prepared to have your professional reputation smashed to smithereens?

Ah....we have another chemist.....

Tiki
oooh - JB must be mad that CM is questioning a chemist

jmfstl
He worked at Oakridge Laboratory until 2002

laniefi
06-22-2011, 09:39 AM
OMG he works at Dow w/ my uncle :thud:

Mendara
It is now my understanding that the defense just plans to attack the scientific evidence or the lack there of and NOT present anything on the drowning or abuse or even Kronk. MO

faefrost
Oh dear lord CM is up.

AND HE FOUND THE CHEMIST!!!

HE WINS!!!! :takeabow::takeabow:

Girlrilla
We have a PhD in chemistry, and now it's CM doing the direct. Why can't JB get his chemist time!

jmfstl
Oh more testimony to try and discredit Dr Vass

TotallyObsessed
William Rodriguez is in fact not ocming back. Finally found it. Earlier poster was asking about it. at about the one minute mark JA asks the Judge about statement to jury about WR not returning.

YouTube - ‪Casey Anthony: Murder Trial - Part 6 - 6/21/11‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eyk67hxKjuk&feature=related)

I am very confused though. I thought that was just to let the jurors know why they changed horses in midstream that day. I thought there was a legal issued to be decided, and THEN HHJP would decide if Rodriguez could testify. Hell, I don't know anymore! JB has be kerfluffled.

Hoping4Justice
Sir, is Dr. Vass a Chemist???

Mountain_Kat
RichardHornsby Richard Hornsby
@
@bobkealing Jose has officially proved #CaseyAnthony didn't sedate Caylee with Xanax; a double edged sword when time for jury to deliberate.
3 minutes ago
Richard Hornsby
Pretty sure Jose Baez will be asking this #CaseyAnthony defense witness if she knows whether Dr. Vass is a chemist or not.
5 minutes ago

No, he did NOT prove that. All he proved was that xanax was not detected in the hair...hair that was 6 months old and badly degraded.

Meh.

summerthyme
But but but does he have a chemistry kit? :fence:

Laynee
06-22-2011, 09:40 AM
rut roh--bringing up Dr. Vass....so the defense's scope of witnesses is brought to the stand NOT to defend ICA-but to discredit Dr. Vass--wow...IMO of course

Drama Queen
Baez: ' And what other kind of meaningless work do you do?

Well sir...my work is not meaningless unlike the work you seem to do on a daily basis.

JSR
wow they STILL trying to go after Vass???

BritsKate
See...he's not a 'real' chemist. ;) He worked at Dow as a research chemist and then at ORNL.

Serjen
Okay I understand Defense can bring witnesses in order to use them to discredit State witnesses and not actually to support Defense (like Wise yesterday), but IMO, when he does that, he comes off looking really bad. He calls them up, tries to discredit them, then JA uses them as State witnesses on cross. All he's helping to do is remind the Jury of the excellent witnesses they had (Vass, Haskell, etc)
Why doesn't Baez concentrate on bringing in people that will help his client instead of making her look worse? Is there a method to this madness that I'm just not understanding? If I was on the jury and I saw a lawyer being hostile to their own witnesses, I'd question it.

logicalgirl
Looks to me like we are setting up for a Vass Attack....

tehcloser
I woke up a short while ago and saw about five minutes of JB's talks with that woman and then the cross. Did he really call someone from a lab that cannot test for chloroform in hair to prove that there was no chloroform in the hair?

Yes..........and Good Morning.

Bullwinkle
RichardHornsby‎ #CaseyAnthony

"Cheney Mason: What in the name of Jesse James do you suppose that gobbledygook the State introduced as so-called-evidence is?"

Twitter - seconds ago

Mendara
so now they are attacking the air samples?

fibelmail
06-22-2011, 09:41 AM
I have grown weary of watching the Casey Cam - It has grown quite boring. My suggestion would be to replace it with a BIAZ cam - lets see what expressions Biaz has as he tries to learn the art of law from his "good Ol'Boy" partner CM.

ahoyhoy
I thought multiple witnesses in the same field was 'bolstering' when the state did it?

little_miss_smart
But, but, but......is he a chemist? lol

pipkins
KBelichWFTV:
UCF forensic chemist Dr. Michael Sigman, who worked with Dr. Vass at Oak Ridge Lab for a decade.. Is now on the stand [

Beccaboo
Every time I think Jose couldn't possibly be any more stupid, he proves me wrong. Who in the heck calls their own wittnesses life work meaningless!! WTF is wrong with this man??

Sleuth5
We have a PhD in chemistry, and now it's CM doing the direct. Why can't JB get his chemist time!

Too many multisyllabic words. Makes his wittle head hurt.

yllek
Another witness who will be asked about Dr. Vass, imo...

jmfstl
06-22-2011, 09:42 AM
CFNews13Casey Casey Anthony News13
Sigman used to work (90-02) at Oak Ridge National Lab with Dr. Vass. He is explaining what is a peer reviewed article.

Mountain_Kat
He's the guy who took the air samples.

butwhatif?
"Special K", a horse tranquilizer.

As clarification for our mock juror Mountaincat, there was a 'special K' listed in ICA contacts on her cell.

bobloblaw
What time are we going till today? Thanks.

Linda7NJ
He worked at Oakridge Laboratory until 2002

wonder why he left?

he's a "research" scientist. Thought Jose looked down on them? Maybe that's why he's letting Mason do it

Azcrabcakes
I'm watching the trial on WFTV and following along on their blog. Someone asked if the jurors know who the alternates are and the moderator said "No". Now I'm wondering what that meant?

I'm under the impression there are 12 jurors and 6 alternates so a total of 18. Is this moderator saying that no one knows who the final 12 jurors are at this point?

I'm almost hoping this is the case because I worry about #4, as many of our WSers do. Hoping I am making myself clear. TIA

I don't know about Florida law (or any really) but when I was on a very long trial as a juror, we had no alternates. When we asked, we were told it was not necessary to have 12 jurors! I can only assume a unanimous verdict is what counts and not the number of jurors deliberating. At least in my state!

Serjen
He's trying to discredit Vass so bad because Vass said when he open the can he jumped back a foot or two and that the levels of chloroform were shockingly high. These were very strong statements that had an impact. All he's doing is reminding the jury over and over of Vass' testimony. He would be better to try and make them forget it.

Turnadot
All he has to do is instill some sort of reasonable doubt. He does that by attacking links, no matter how weak or strong they are, that place ICA with the body or the body location. Granted, this is probably not being very effective, but it's the only defense they have. They cannot defend 31 days, so instead they try to remove ICA from the recovery site.
No, Baez would have got a lot further if he'd attacked the dynamics of the Anthony family, built upon the foundation of his opening statement. Especially GA, who was a viable avenue for reasonable doubt, considering his fascination with KC's body, and the fact that although he was upset about it, he didn't outright deny the molestation accusation or call KC a liar in his letter to her. Baez should have put him on the stand first thing and went at him hard.

GA denied molesting KC on the stand, and I don't believe he molested KC, but the point is his letters to her are...disturbing, IMO. And if I were on the jury, I'd at least entertain the notion that GA's hands aren't clean of Caylee's death.

Baez should have stuck with what he knows: slime the witness. I'm completely serious about that; he has a knack for it, that would have served him well in this trial. It had a very high chance of working. Instead, Baez chose to attack the evidence, and its backfiring.

My opinions...

jmfstl
OSCaseyAnthony Casey Anthony News
Sigma: Spoke with OCSO re: samples of air from #CaseyAnthony car.

Mountain_Kat
Another fan of the good Dr. Vass. :)

Girlrilla
06-22-2011, 09:43 AM
So their own witness speaks TO the jury...are they going to criticize him now?

Laynee
Dr. Vass reccommended this chemist to take the samples from car, since Dr. Vass was unavailable...he consulted Dr. Vass and was told how to proceed

adb263

If i recall correctly we are going till noon or a little after!

sappysoul
It sure seems they are on a mission to discredit Vass, it almost appears personal. They might have to resort to calling his kindergarten teacher to testify to the time he had to stand in the corner.

Shadow5618
Wait - so the State's witness (Dr. Vass) recommended this guy for the defense? Huh??

suepitzl
going until noon

kantoo
another Chemist! Me thinks JB wanted to be a chemist when he grew up, but failed :( and now is obssessed with chemists!

chemist envy?

sophie01
06-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Far OUT !

Baez: ' And what other kind of meaningless work do you do ...

Witness: ' I don't feel any of my work is meaningless '

I don't believe it. Heard it but will have to get my ears checked because it cannot be happening !

The man defies explanation.

jmfstl
Sigma: Tedlar bags used for collecting air samples. #CaseyAnthony

noelle91176
I am very confused though. I thought that was just to let the jurors know why they changed horses in midstream that day. I thought there was a legal issued to be decided, and THEN HHJP would decide if Rodriguez could testify. Hell, I don't know anymore! JB has be kerfluffled.

seems to be lots of rumors...the ones I keep hearing are that he admitted during deposition that Caylee's body may have been there since July 2008 and then the fact that his co-founding of the Body Farm was fiction. The second seems most likely to me. Maybe that's why JA is pushing for a statement. Maybe he wants the judge to state that something about false credentials. :floorlaugh:

Mohabi
I didn't know air could be measured using a liquid measuring unit.

logicalgirl
06-22-2011, 09:45 AM

Noon only. HHJP has a budget meeting he must attend this afternoon.

Mountain_Kat
Trunk was closed prior to sample being taken.

dunlurken
If it's Wednesday (and I think it is) JP said half a day. I would presume no more testimony when the lunch break occurs.

Cross Creek
Earlier I saw JB bump into KC and she mouthed out a big ole OW and shot him quite the dirty look.

i don't know that I've seen a more distained defendant in a murder trial. Every day she looks like she's inconvenienced to be there and is waiting rather impatiently to have this huge waste of time behind her. She doesn't even try to humor the court. It's an interesting way to present yourself when you are facing the death penalty.

And she hasn't had a "work" schedule like this since '05 for a few months and before that school.

mitzi
Mason spreading his arms and rising on balls of his feet...channeling a 'good ole boy'.

Sleuth5
:floorlaugh::welcome:

artbuc
This witness could be trouble for JA.

BritsKate
06-22-2011, 09:46 AM
Going to this extent to discredit Vass - not one witness but several - only makes Vass' testimony appear MORE important IMO.

noelle91176
Every time I think Jose couldn't possibly be any more stupid, he proves me wrong. Who in the heck calls their own wittnesses life work meaningless!! WTF is wrong with this man??

argh! I missed this! :maddening::maddening::banghead::banghead:

Mendara
Wait - so the State's witness (Dr. Vass) recommended this guy for the defense? Huh??

No - this is the guy Dr. Vass used to get the air samples from the car. He is not on the defense side, the defense will try to discredit him in order to discredit Dr. Vass. I am sure they will attack his method of collecting the evidence.

logicalgirl
this professor stopped working with Dr. Vass at the Body Farm in 2002.....

Linda7NJ

doubt it!

QuietStorm
If defense is saying Caylee drowned, why why why do they feel it necessary to go over and over these types of testimonies? Why why why don't they get on with testimony that helps their explanation of drowning and the body being hidden by RC? I hope the jury is making note of that question.

cityslick

Dr. Vass' testimony essentially puts a body in the trunk. DT doesn't want a body in the trunk.

jmfstl
06-22-2011, 09:47 AM

IMO no witness is a problem for JA or the SA

scotslass

No actually this was one of the few times JB had a good quip. JA called the neg test results she obtained meaningless. This was Jb referencing JA points on cross. It was actually quite clever.. don't hurt me :):truce:

MaraSleuth
9:18-9:19

SIDEBAR # 2

DIRECT EXAMINATION OF MADELINE MONTGOMERY BY JB:

Mombomb - you are the BOMB! Thank you!:rocker:

Mountain_Kat
06-22-2011, 09:48 AM
Sheesh, CM...who cares about the mechanics of the machine? I'm not planning on building one any time soon.

jmfstl
If defense is saying Caylee drowned, why why why do they feel it necessary to go over and over these types of testimonies? Why why why don't they get on with testimony that helps their explanation of drowning and the body being hidden by RC? I hope the jury is making note of that question.

They don't have any evidence of a drowning so therefore they try to discredit the States evidence.

TiaM

Like I said. Scared to DEATH of him.....

dunlurken
I don't know if this has been asked and answered, but who is the African American guy who always sits in the same seat? I'm assuming he's media, but who does he work for? Any know? TIA.

Whisperer
06-22-2011, 09:49 AM
Is the jury asleep yet?

barrysgirl
I want to clarify something for everyone.

The Body Farm is in Knoxville, TN. It is on a hill up overlooking the Univ. of Tenn. hospital. Dr. Vass studied there with Dr. Bill Bass, who founded the Body Farm. Dr. Vass left there and went to work at the Oak Ridge National Lab, which is located in Oak Ridge, TN.

Dr. Sigmund worked at the lab in Oak Ridge, not the Body Farm.

TexasDoll
Totally lost!

heartfortruth
Baez: ' And what other kind of meaningless work do you do?

Well sir...my work is not meaningless unlike the work you seem to do on a daily basis.

This post will probably end up way down this fast moving thread but ,as I understood it, JB was making at poke at JA's statement about her tests results being meaningless because they didn't give any usable information. He did NOT say her WORK was meaningless.

Mohabi
Now I remember why physics and chemistry were the subjects I hated the most in school.

Moe
I can imagine nodding off in this Professor's class.

NavySubMom
seems to be lots of rumors...the ones I keep hearing are that he admitted during deposition that Caylee's body may have been there since July 2008 and then the fact that his co-founding of the Body Farm was fiction. The second seems most likely to me. Maybe that's why JA is pushing for a statement. Maybe he wants the judge to state that something about false credentials. :floorlaugh:

But did he not testify about a few things for the DT, I wonder why he could not be brought back and put on the stand for JA to cross-examine, and then at that time ask him about his false statement about being a co-founder of the Body Farm. Then the jury might just disregard everything he testified to, although I forget what that exactly was. IMO, MOO

azscr4mbl3r
It sure seems they are on a mission to discredit Vass, it almost appears personal. They might have to resort to calling his kindergarten teacher to testify to the time he had to stand in the corner.

They say if you are not catching flak you are not over the target. I gotta think they are on it....

Sleuth5
06-22-2011, 09:50 AM
Where's the Registrar's Office? I would like to withdraw from this course.

monique
Mason: "Doctor, put that egghead book down boy and answer me this, do you know if Dr. Vass is a dadgum chemist?" #CaseyAnthony

Amster
No actually this was one of the few times JB had a good quip. JA called the neg test results she obtained meaningless. This was Jb referencing JA points on cross. It was actually quite clever.. don't hurt me :):truce:

Why would anyone want to "hurt" you? People who admire JB are allowed to post here! :seeya:

Whisperer
....Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

TotallyObsessed

Let me slap myself out of my stupor and try to listen then. Somehow, I doubt it...but we'll see! After all, it is CM up at that podium.

Mountain_Kat
Trace amounts of volitile organic compounds.

Mamabear1963
06-22-2011, 09:51 AM

Somehow..I doubt that...looking forward to the cross.

I am amazed at what JA knows.

dunlurken
I want to clarify something for everyone.

The Body Farm is in Knoxville, TN. It is on a hill up overlooking the Univ. of Tenn. hospital. Dr. Vass studied there with Dr. Bill Bass, who founded the Body Farm. Dr. Vass left there and went to work at the Oak Ridge National Lab, which is located in Oak Ridge, TN.

Dr. Sigmund worked at the lab in Oak Ridge, not the Body Farm.
Thank you. I was a bit confused about the connection.

tragco
Uh oh he did not find chloroform in his first sample.

TotallyObsessed
Mason: "Doctor, put that egghead book down boy and answer me this, do you know if Dr. Vass is a dadgum chemist?" #CaseyAnthony

Richard Hornsby needs a vacation when this is over! :floorlaugh:

truckengirl

RH is cracking me up the last few days with his tweets!!!

2goldfish
Going to this extent to discredit Vass - not one witness but several - only makes Vass' testimony appear MORE important IMO.

interesting even as I have followed this case from day 31, until defense began CIC I was not convinced the chloroform was involved in the murder.

if it wasnt, the DT sure thinks it was. cause they've spent a good chunk of their case trying to discredit vass to a demented degree. why? because that chloroform was REALLY IMPORTANT.

Steely Dan

:floorlaugh:

Maybe they could call his mother to find out how many times he kicked her while he was in the womb. :rolleyes:

jmfstl
In the first sample only found gasoline.

Hamsterdance
http://i52.tinypic.com/jfdh6e.jpg

WELCOME MAL954!!

What an entrance!! :great::great:

Whisperer
06-22-2011, 09:52 AM
Yep, MO...ICA dumped gasoline on the stain to get rid of odor.

truckengirl
Does anyone know if ICA eats jail food at lunch or does she get to eat normal food that might be brought in to her.

gamom
I know we have not heard cross yet, but so far this guy is a good witness for the DT. Showing the air sample only contained gasoline.

bobloblaw
Gasoline is not the only hydrocarbon. Refrigerants (freons) like R22 R12 and chloroform are hydrocarbons!

monique
bobkealing bob kealing
#CaseyAnthony Jury starting to zone out on more tech-stimony.

Linda7NJ
:floorlaugh:

Maybe they could call his mother to find out how many times he kicked her while he was in the womb. :rolleyes:

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

jmfstl
KBelichWFTV Kathi Belich, WFTV
by CaseyAnthonyCh9
More are fidgetingone just yawned during defense detailed questioning about how air was collected from Casey's trunk and equipment used

TotallyObsessed
Like this?

OMG :floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh::f loorlaugh:

Oakley
06-22-2011, 09:53 AM
MagpieFromHinky Pamela
Still blabbering about how he took sample. The jury doesn't care about this technical crap. Just tell them if it was a viable sample or not

AMEN!

TexasDoll
Seriously, are they TRYING TO BORE the jury to sleep?!

summerthyme
WELCOME MAL954!!

When I got to Forward by Lance Ito I spit coffee all over my screen. :floorlaugh:

Serjen

JA called them meaningless in regards to this case (which it was), JB took it like a school child and pretended like he meant her work was meaningless in general. He looked bad.

okiedokietoo
........CM and the mass spectrometer.............
Dr. Sigman - PHD in Chemistry, Faculty University of Central Florida, Oak Ridge 1990 -2002
CM: what is peer reviewed article
Dr. S: Describing - has about 64 pr articles of his own
CM: how you 1st became involved with case
Dr.S:july 21, 2008 - call from Eric Walton, look at air samples from trunk of car, Dr. Vass not available, Dr. Vass referred him as someone able to take examples
CM: what is tedlar bag
Dr.S: plastic, trade name dupont, commonly used to take air samples -
Doug Clark and took samples
CM: wants him to describe how he took air out of trunk
Dr.S: used needle, opened trunk inch put needle in took samples (2)
-Left both samples with ocso - one sent to Dr. Vass - (describing the testing instrument)
CM: uh uh you're losing me, what is a micron
Dr.S: (very detailed about testing, microns, electrons, molecules, and charge of those

CM keeps referring to Dr. Vass as Dr. Voss

whiteangora

I think the witness was highly insulted by JB's ignorant remark.
JMO

barrysgirl
Does anyone know if ICA eats jail food at lunch or does she get to eat normal food that might be brought in to her.I heard on TV the other day that she has to eat what the jail provides. 2 sandwiches, a fruit and a can of fruit juice. Even if her lawyer brings her something, she can't have it.

Fluffy Puppy
I think all this "discredit Dr. Vass" is because the DT thought the SA was going after chloroform as the definitive cause of death. About a week ago Baez expressed surprise that they weren't, and now they are stuck with making Dr. Vass a bigger deal than they needed.

If I am the jury, I am thinking wth.

Insomnia Momma
I seriously can't follow this guy. I'm thinking he didn't find cloroform but I'm wondering if he didn't test for it?

:banghead:

logicalgirl
Dr. Sigmund: puzzle me this...since you left working with Dr. Vass and the Oak ridge Lab in 2002, are you quite certain you kept up to date with the degree of sophistication of development Dr. Vass developed in his chromatigraph since you've been gone or are you still using 2002 methods?

Whisperer
Does anyone know if ICA eats jail food at lunch or does she get to eat normal food that might be brought in to her.

Brown bag lunch compliments of the County jail.

TexasDoll
06-22-2011, 09:54 AM

I read somewhere that she has a packed lunch from the jail, i.e., sack lunch.

jmfstl
Second sample much more concentrated. results of gasoline

Mountain_Kat
Components were hydrocarbons. Gasoline.

Hmmm.

tragco
Uh oh again, second sample was much more concentrated and only had gasoline. No chloroform.

TotallyObsessed

Saw it on Vinnie Politan's show one night....she gets a bag lunch with 2 sanwiches with assorted cold cuts, 1 fruit, one drink. EVEN IF SOMEBODY buys or brings her something else, SHE CAN'T EAT IT AND SHE HAS TO EAT THE BAG LUNCH.:great:

logicalgirl
06-22-2011, 09:55 AM
LOL - back to quantitative analysis....

bobloblaw
Every time I hear "Gas Chromatograph Mass Spectrometer" , I think of a moss covered, three handled family gradunza!:great:

kantoo

2 deli type sandwiches, cookies, fruit, and a drink in a carton, catered by the jail

ahoyhoy
WELCOME MAL954!!

LOL @ "beachwear mogul."

scotslass
Why would anyone want to "hurt" you? People who admire JB are allowed to post here! :seeya:

I was being facetious :) Not a Jb admirer but will give credit where credit is due. :seeya:

barrysgirl
Hey! he found Benzine too. Yesterday JB drilled Dr. Wise about the sample being contaminated from the Benzine. So now we know where it came from??

Mountain_Kat
2nd sample compounds were ethal benzene, toaine(sp)...all components typically found in gasoline.

What'sThatClue

It's my understanding that the jail sends a bag lunch along with ICA and it consists of two sandwiches, a drink and assorted other things. No other food is allowed.

bobloblaw

Hmmm.

Chloroform is a hydrocarbon.

MaraSleuth

Jail food - they pack her a lunch. sandwiches, drink etc.

Whisperer
2nd sample detected several components. Bingo..that is what she was doing...pouring gas on the carpet purposely.

heartfortruth
06-22-2011, 09:56 AM
In the first sample only found gasoline.

and that makes me go HHmmmmmm..........wonder why? KWIM?

tehcloser
If, and it's a big IF, the jury is still awake, the DT is scoring some points here.

ami
The difference I can see here is that this man tested straight air from the trunk (mixed with room air, since he had to open the trunk to stick the syringe in) - in other words, it's dilute. I can't remember what Dr Vass's results were from the similar sample he tested. Dr. Vass's big chloroform peak came from the trunk carpet sample, which he incubated with heat overnight to help volatilize any remaining chemical and concentrate it for testing.

KMouse
RH is cracking me up the last few days with his tweets!!!

Tee hee. Such a contrast from this boring testimony. He's had some zingers that is for sure.

Mountain_Kat
This is actually useful information to me.

Azcrabcakes
"Baez: ' And what other kind of meaningless work do you do ...

Witness: ' I don't feel any of my work is meaningless '"

THIS was not ACTUALLY spoken, was it? OMG!

Phoebeb
Is this the defense strategy? To get these scientists to bore, confuse, kerfuffle the jurors with all this detailed testimony? What difference does it make if the temp of his machine is 250 degrees, it's 330ml air sample, off a polymer, etc.
Maybe the jury will glaze over, and look at CM and think wow, I guess this witness just made a point for the defense, I don't understand it, but CM and JB look like they've discredited something the state said so...
They (DT) spend so much time with all the minutia, then hardly make a point. It's maddening!

Drama Queen

I can guarantee you that she is not eating "crab cakes," "Turtle Soup," or "Mock Lobster." She probably thinks her food is a bit like squirrel which tastes alot like chicken.

truecrimejunkie
geez, my husband runs GC/mass spec (but hes not a chemist, hes a plant pathologist!)and cant believe the boring details this guy is going into. Its painful to watch

Linda7NJ
yeah yeah yeah.....the source was the air in the can with the carpet sample....they were the damning samples Trying to confuse the jury a tad?

texaslb218
Saw it on Vinnie Politan's show one night....she gets a bag lunch with 2 sanwiches with assorted cold cuts, 1 fruit, one drink. EVEN IF SOMEBODY buys or brings her something else, SHE CAN'T EAT IT AND SHE HAS TO EAT THE BAG LUNCH.:great:
You mean like she can't use a computer, be on a cell phone, text, tweet or pass notes???????:floorlaugh:

pipkins
06-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Sigman: Air samples results not the same as those from Dr. Vass' testimony

Blue Ridge
Saw it on Vinnie Politan's show one night....she gets a bag lunch with 2 sanwiches with assorted cold cuts, 1 fruit, one drink.

No tater chips?? :eek:

Tulessa
Here and liks in siggy. :)

gamom
Maybe I am wrong, but for some reason I thought the cholorform was in the CARPET samples not the air? I am missing something?

ahoyhoy
Seriously, are they TRYING TO BORE the jury to sleep?!

I think they're waiting until they're SURE the jury has COMPLETELY FORGOTTEN JB's opening statement. JMO.

GiantPickle
I was just going to post the same thing....It is beyond annoying, when he says Annnnd!!

eh, my beloved JA says "now" before every question.

Oakley
Mason: "This Gas graphy-gook mass-spectromety-what-not used by a" Baez: "Objection, IS IT USED BY A CHEMIST you old fart?" #CaseyAnthony

jmfstl
06-22-2011, 09:58 AM
Sigman: Air samples results not the same as those from Dr. Vass' testimony. #CaseyAnthony

monique
Mason: "This Gas graphy-gook mass-spectromety-what-not used by a" Baez: "Objection, IS IT USED BY A CHEMIST you old fart?" #CaseyAnthony

pipkins
twitter

Defense's next witness will be Paula Abdul, expert dance witness to testify #caseyanthony was a terrible dancer in the hot body contest

azscr4mbl3r
I can hear JA now.... the syringe and bag method didn't work so you used a pump and got results correct ? chloroform? yes.... no other questions

Chili Fries
I think all this "discredit Dr. Vass" is because the DT thought the SA was going after chloroform as the definitive cause of death. About a week ago Baez expressed surprise that they weren't, and now they are stuck with making Dr. Vass a bigger deal than they needed.

If I am the jury, I am thinking wth.

If Baez were smarter, he could have done a lot better job casting doubt on Vass' testimony when he cross examined Vass, but you can probably say that about most of Baez' crosses. I thought there were a lot of holes in Vass' findings that could have been emphasized.

I think Mason Cheney should be doing a lot better job directing the testimony of the scientist on the stand right now. He's getting bogged down with details, a trees instead of forest perspective. Too many unnecessary details are surely going to lessen any impact on the jury.

What'sThatClue
"Baez: ' And what other kind of meaningless work do you do ...

Witness: ' I don't feel any of my work is meaningless '"

THIS was not ACTUALLY spoken, was it? OMG!

Oh yeah, it was. I was very much kerfluffled when I heard it.

rookie
Speaking of yawning- Has anyone ever noticed the inmate yawning?
I never have. I find that odd especially since I find myself yawning through much of the testimony.
She reminds me of a bird that sits super still and never moves when a cat comes into the yard.

OMG I just noticed that my post is #666!
Yikes!

Softail
While some may think this testimony is good for the DT, let me remind you that JA has not had his turn yet. ;)

Mountain_Kat
3rd test (a solid phase test) showed better data than tedlar bag samples. Found gasoline and chloroform.

tragco
06-22-2011, 09:59 AM
Carbon strip in car for 40 minutes next thing the witness tested. Fibers and carbon strips left in car 7 and a half hours. Analyzed: stronger response than the Tevlar bag. Primary pattern: gasoline and there was also chloroform present.

TotallyObsessed
No tater chips?? :eek:

I forgot cookie for dessert! *snort

ami
When they lest the test trips in 7 hours, they did find Chloroform peak.

NavySubMom
hahah CM, gasoline, and the other 3 that you told us! He does not mention that * one * of the other three was chloroform!!

GiantPickle
Is the forced jail food thing because she's a current felon? Would an innocent person awaiting trial have the same rules? Frankly, I'm not sure why the man should care either way - if someone else brings her food, it's one less $1 we have to shell out to feed her.

Mohabi
Degreaser - adipocere - thoughts anyone?

pinkfly
I think they're waiting until they're SURE the jury has COMPLETELY FORGOTTEN JB's opening statement. JMO.

Try maybe but I donít think they can remove the p@@@s from the m@@@h with this boredom.

darnudes
Is this how Mason lost the Serrano case?

barrysgirl
(I have been baking a chicken in the oven for the past hour and a half. It smells so darn good that I'm hungry now. Anyone want a sandwich, drink and a fruit?)

Insomnia Momma
06-22-2011, 10:00 AM
I'm confused, would high air samples taken from near the roof of the trunk show cloroform? I thought cloroform was heavier than air so that's why it was found with the carpet sample air primarily?

Hoping JA clears this up!

gamom
I think the witness was highly insulted by JB's ignorant remark.
JMO

To be fair JA has made his fair share of insulting remarks as well. JA"your honor he is NOT a doctor" HHJP, "Well, whatever he is, he can step down"
:floorlaugh: Funny to me, but very insulting to this poor guy.

Sleuth5
Speaking of yawning- Has anyone ever noticed the inmate yawning?
I never have. I find that odd especially since I find myself yawning through much of the testimony.
She reminds me of a bird that sits super still and never moves when a cat comes into the yard.

She's more like a snake waiting on the mouse.

Just K

She tried to cover that smell with
dryer sheets
trash
parking it next to a dumpster

Cindy
"used" dryer sheets
Sprayed Febreeze (corn based product with perfumes)

pipkins
twitter

Having a hard time looking at witness and not grinning. He looks like Ned Flanders

truckengirl

Thank goodness, glad to hear that! I figured she would expect special treatment and want her attorneys to bring her good food so I am glad to know even if they did she would not be able to have it.

shellsbells
Oh, he found chloroform in the car- now it makes sense.

Chili Fries
Carbon strip in car for 40 minutes next thing the witness tested. Fibers and carbon strips left in car 7 and a half hours. Analyzed: stronger response than the Tevlar bag. Primary pattern: gasoline and there was also chloroform present.

It's Tedlar bags in case anybody cares. I used to do that type of sampling.

NavySubMom
There you go, JA just got the witness to say "chloroform" TWICE!!

Fluffy Puppy

Oh sheesh, I never thought of this, and it makes so much sense. I hope they can make that point about the gasoline odor.

Trident
2nd sample detected several components. Bingo..that is what she was doing...pouring gas on the carpet purposely.

ICA or someone else, a helper perhaps?

watergirl
PCE? interesting....dry cleaning product.

Whisperer
WOW! He found chloroform too. Gasoline and chloroform used by somebdoy to clean car. Detail people have access to a certain type of stain removal (tetrachorine?) which contains chloroform.

Mountain_Kat
Tetrachloral ethaline (sp) also found. Typically used in dry cleaning, spot removers and so forth.

Hmmmm.

tehcloser
While some may think this testimony is good for the DT, let me remind you that JA has not had his turn yet. ;)

Nawwwwwwwww, really? :crazy:

Justin Tyme
Maybe I am wrong, but for some reason I thought the cholorform was in the CARPET samples not the air? I am missing something?

I thought so too.

Just K
So someone cleaned the trunk in order to remove the stain, the stink and specifically the "grease."

BritsKate
Yep. Get him to repeat chloroform was indeed found. Well done Mason!

jmfstl
AmandaOberWESH Amanda Ober
#CaseyAnthony Chemist says gas, chloroform, and three other chemicals were present in air sample from trunk. Gas most prevelant

TexasDoll
So he found chloroform and cleaning products. Interesting. THANKS JB!

monique
06-22-2011, 10:01 AM
ODG! I found chloroform!

ahoyhoy
ICA can stand up & give the recipe for chloroform!

barrysgirl
Is the forced jail food thing because she's a current felon? Would an innocent person awaiting trial have the same rules? Frankly, I'm not sure why the man should care either way - if someone else brings her food, it's one less $1 we have to shell out to feed her.
Everyone is considered innocent until proven guilty. She is an inmate so she goes by their rules no matter what.

egnarts
Like this?

I REALLY have to get back to work and just listen...and it is comments such as this, that make it really hard!
:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

bobloblaw

Chloroform is very volitile, evaporates easily, so it could be in the carpet and evaporating into the air, much like gasoline.

TotallyObsessed
I'm going to poke needles in my eyes. Somebody whistle when JA is up.

What'sThatClue

JMO but the forced jail food is most likely so an inmate isn't poisoned.
All persons awaiting trial are considered innocent.

laserdisc10
CM: ' What were the compounds you discovered in the chloro ... '

Must have been taking foot in mouth lessons from JB

Turnadot
I'm learning that KC must have done something with chloroform.

Whisperer
Busy bees scrubbing that stain....

adb263

Richard Hornsby should write a book on this case and include all of his tweets!!

He is hilarious!!:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

Oakley
06-22-2011, 10:02 AM
MagpieFromHinky Pamela
Can we test Mason for gas??

Donjeta
Okay, the squirrels ate a twenty pound hamburger with lots of onion and cabbage on it.

Softail
The chemical is present in onions, cabbage, and decomposition events!

TexasDoll
BINGO! DECOMPOSITION gas found! also said it could have been cabbage or soil. None of which was found in the trunk.

matou
dimethyl disulphide also present in decomposition

coloradoteacher
Well wouldn't it be funny if they say that it's not chloroform, silly SA, it's a dead body!!!!

cleo612
Has anyone else noticed how Mason rolls his eyes and tries to glare backwards at Ashton, without turning his head, when Ashton makes an objection? It is really annoying.

shelbar53

She has a bag lunch consisting of 2 sandwhiches, cookies, fruit and a box drink. She is not allowed to eat any food someone else brings, for example, if Jose wants to bring her food, she is NOT allowed to eat it.

someone posted that in another thread.

Amster
ICA was trying to get rid of the death smell....with gasoline? Makes sense to me. Actually, I bet she used a lot of cleaning products. Cindy was desperate to make the smell go away. No telling what she used on it.

summerthyme
MagpieFromHinky Pamela
Can we test Mason for gas??

I think HOT AIR would be a better test. :maddening:

ami
Huh. Why is CM asking if these compounds are found as byproducts of human decomposition?

sissyjane
Sounds like KC used gasoline perhaps poured from a can to cover the smell and stain in the car.

grammieto5
eh, my beloved JA says "now" before every question.

I love the word "now" it's my favorite word :-)

Ms.Heather
CM putting chloroform and decomp in the trunk!!!!

rookie
She's more like a snake waiting on the mouse.

Yes! Much better comparison!

Azcrabcakes
06-22-2011, 10:03 AM
He just said dimethyl disulfide can be produced in human decomposition!

RammerJammer
Citing Dr. Vass's study now!

Serjen
I tuned out to this witness, too many big words. lol. Someone explain to me in dumbed down terms what he's saying, please.

Mountain_Kat
Chemicals are also markers for human decomposition.

matou
Amazing testimony about decomposition compound markers.

ahoyhoy
twitter

Defense's next witness will be Paula Abdul, expert dance witness to testify #caseyanthony was a terrible dancer in the hot body contest

She was keeping a Hawk-Eye out for Zanny & a 2-year old in a bar! Give her a break---she was pretty distraught.

(sarcasm)

Whisperer
06-22-2011, 10:04 AM
Is this yet another witness for the State?

BritsKate
Anyone think this defense expert was supposed to mention Vass found chloroform to be a byproduct of human decomp?

barrysgirl
Do they not realize they are only reaffirming to the jury that everyone that tested it found chloroform??

LiveLaughLuv
chloroform also from decompostion...again, defense witness will place Caylee in ICA's trunk...I believe most of these DT witnesses confirm the states case...I don't know why the DT doesn't rest their case for they have not proved anything for me, so far...I would be begging ICA to take LWOP if that is what the state is offering..but that's me and luckily I have nothing to do with this trial...thankfully...JMHO

sleutherontheside
Look Mitzi......CM's not the only one that can do that move.

16872 16873

monique
Okay, could someone clarify this for me?

Did he just testify that the chloroform came from a decomposing body? This is a defense witness, right?

Linda7NJ
how about squirrels?

NavySubMom
ICA was trying to get rid of the death smell....with gasoline? Makes sense to me. Actually, I bet she used a lot of cleaning products. Cindy was desperate to make the smell go away. No telling what she used on it.

and when that failed, she backed her car into a parking spot right next to a dumpster, after sticking a bag of "trash" in the trunk, and hoped it would all go away.

TexasDoll
Does anyone else thinks this witness memorized his testimony? It sure sounds like he is reiterating.

ami
This witness backs up Dr Vass's testimony about finding markers of human decomposition in the trunk.

The Farm
06-22-2011, 10:05 AM
Has anyone else noticed how Mason rolls his eyes and tries to glare backwards at Ashton, without turning his head, when Ashton makes an objection? It is really annoying.

Jose does the same thing.

ijam

Hmmm.

I think chloroform is also a hydrocarbon..

but note.. i'm not a chemist...only had one year of chemistry in college many years ago,and I only made a "C"..

adb263
On Casey cam,,,,ICA keeps getting the blue screen of DEATH!!!! things that make you go hmmmmm!!

strawberry
Sneaking in at work...anything good happen yet?

artbuc
CM just made JA's cross easy!!

truckengirl
Okay, the squirrels ate a twenty pound hamburger with lots of onion and cabbage on it.

Dont forget the plastic bag over their head while they are eating it!

shellsbells
What makes me sad in this is that by trying to create doubt that Caylee was chloroformed while in the trunk they would simultaneously make it appear someone used a hefty amount of very very strong chemicals (gasoline, bleach) to clean something in the trunk, like a smelly stain of human decomp. And if that's the case, then is it that more likely that Caylee was not chloroformed and was instead alert when she went in that trunk? I really really really don't want to believe that.

CarrieBean
Curious if ICA's initial thought was to mask the smell or burn the car.

matou
06-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Opinion is: 3 compounds for decomp were present but gave low responses from the instruments. Can't say that human decomp gave off those gases.

pinkfly
All this for an “inconclusive” maybe human remains were there. This is from the dt????

cityslick
His tests couldn't conclusively determine whether there was a dead body in the trunk.

azscr4mbl3r
gee I wonder if they will let him smell the carpet in a can??? hmmmmmmmmm

Trident
BINGO! DECOMPOSITION gas found! also said it could have been cabbage or soil. None of which was found in the trunk.

Does anyone remember exactly what WAS left in the trunk after it got to the A's garage? Txs

What'sThatClue
Witness says he can't conclude there was human decomp in the car.

Mountain_Kat
Witness opinion is based on sample they collected and analysed. Could not say with certainty, based on his work alone, whether there was a decomposing body in the trunk of ICA's car.

LiveLaughLuv
Okay, could someone clarify this for me?

Did he just testify that the chloroform came from a decomposing body? This is a defense witness, right?

Right..but just confirmed the State's case...ICA should hang this up and rest her case...take her just desserts and leave it at that...I do believe she is as guilty as sin....she will be found guilty...IMO....

Justice for Caylee

Donjeta
So now it was a garbage bag there. I thought it was trash. What was the difference again? :rolleyes: