PDA

View Full Version : 2011.06.23 TRIAL Day Twenty-six (Morning Session)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

mydailyopinions
06-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Oh my ! Can someone pleeeeze nudge me when this is over ?

Mare10
06-23-2011, 10:03 AM
here it comes!

Cherry Baby
On the ICA Cam - she's really slipping a lot of sidelooks to JB and CM today, isn't she? Something must be either up or going on between her and the DT. JB seems to be playing with either a pen or something quite a bit while JA does the cross exam.

pinkfly
ICA was just making goo goo eyes at somebody

coloradoteacher
JB just asked if any of the hairs were put in garbage.

Kimster
Here comes the garbage defense. :doh:

ebedeeb
ICa gives googly eyes to CM again.

Eidetic
KBelichWFTVKathi Belich, WFTV
The jury's seeing one after the other of post mortem banding photos.. State is teaching the jury how to see it for themselves

52 seconds ago

The jury is seeing hair after hair with some darkening.. But not BANDING.. Ashton is artfully teaching jurors how to tell difference

8 minutes ago

Ashton is turning another defense witness into a state witness.. The trunk hairs in study from living showed no change after 7 months

14 minutes ago

Pattymarie
Jose on re-direct, trying to hard to come up with a "zinger"

ami
Oh, here comes JB to help the State some more. Squeeze out any last bit of evidence of ICA's guilt that JA might have missed.

Mountain_Kat
I have to admit I'm very curious about what JB will question this guy about after this is over. :waitasec:

All he has is the 2 analysts who mistakenly identified 2 hairs having PM banding. But those analysts, on their own, corrected themselves upon further analyses. So...meh.

Cubby
I think he is trying to say the science is shaky as a wet hair can be confused as a death hair.

thank you Mendara. I'm following here only because the kiddo has CN on.

jmfstl
06-23-2011, 10:04 AM
JB back up.. the hairs that you tested in trunks did you put them in garbage lol

QuietStorm
Garbage? Oh, FGS!!

Shelby1
bobkealing (http://twitter.com/#%21/bobkealing) bob kealing

#CaseyAnthony (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23CaseyAnthony) Deputy removing young guy from row right behind me. No reason given.

Mamabear1963
Oh my word...

Did you put the hair in the trunk in garbage...

I thought it was trash....

Linda7NJ

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

nursebeeme
I just fell down in a huge thud... I cannot believe he just asked that question!

ahoyhoy
Maybe I am kinda dumb, but who is Cy Spurling?

Founder & President (if he's still alive) of Hair Club for Men. "The sticky toupee guys."

Wise Old Owl
no dates on the cadavar hairs - that's all

Kenziema
Did anyone else catch Eiglarsh last night (I believe it was on Dr. Drew) saying there was a Texas case where the defense lawyer fell asleep and the conviction was NOT overturned.......they said he didn't fall asleep at critical points of the trial. I know I've heard of a case where the lawyer fell asleep during trial, not sure if it's the same case he referred to.

I heard this too. What I latched onto was when they said KC is entitled to council- whether that council is "good" or not is not a factor. She's not entitled to a "rock star."

jmfstl
Now we are going to go back through the slide show

coloradoteacher
I am not sure I can sit through JB going through all the state's evidence with Dr. Vass AGAIN today. Nor do I think the jurors will appreciate it.

Mountain_Kat
Were there hairs found in the TRASH bag?

KathrynL
06-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Hair in garbage? Really, Mr Baez? :floorlaugh:

~n/t~
Oh dear. Is that the best Baez can do? He asked this witness if any of the hairs were in garbage? :banghead:

turkygurl
... or perhaps hew as so lazy he truly didn't go over the information previously, and after he was forced to look at it he narrow mindedly only saw the parts he wanted to use for himself without thought for what doors it would open for the State. IMO.

Kind of like an amateur chess player, he is rashly making a "move" of his pawn without realizing that it leaves a knight or bishop vulnerable on the next move?

I'm a paralegal in Jax, and attempted to stay away from the search for the missing Caylee, suspicion of Casey, investigation, etc. Once the trial started, I only viewed things from the trial, trying to keep myself as objective as possible. After Tuesday's testimony, I'm done with objectivity. I wasn't aware of a lot of the information out there (cell phone pings/records, other depos) until I started looking. I can't decide (and my 2 bosses are split on the issue) if JB is actively trying to come across as ineffective counsel (once he realized the state's case) or if he actually thinks he's doing well, and then JA gets up and foils his plan (in which case it's comically sad). My one boss is convinced that it must be the latter, as in his words, "Opposing lawyers are often sure that it's some diabolical, evil genius plan that they've cooked up. That's rarely the case. Most of the time, it's someone who thought they were smarter than they really are, and you wound up spending way too much time worrying and anticipating their next move, when in reality, they didn't even know what their next move was going to be until it happened."

ami
MagpieFromHinky Pamela
This is a hair I found in pants, this is a hair that liked to dance, this is a hair that fell on floor, this is the hair that makes me snore

Magpie is cracking me up today.

Turnadot
I have to admit I'm very curious about what JB will question this guy about after this is over. :waitasec:
Baez: Are you a chemist?

nursebeeme

no dates needed... LOL.. they were dead! oh my gosh!!! I cannot believe he asked that!!!!

truthsleuth
JB: Were any hairs stored in a acar that could be similar to or taken for postmortem banding?
No.
The hairs from the trunk, did you put them in garbage? Did you have any that were in garbage?
No.
All the hairs from living people have the number of days before they were selected, right?
That's right.
But all the slides from post-mortem individuals don't have any dates, is that correct?
That's right. It wasn't put on the slides themselves.
Let's talk about these for a second. For example, this hair that was outside a house on the ground, how long has it been there?
Let me look at my notes for a second ...

Mendara
06-23-2011, 10:06 AM
This is just sad that jose would ask if the hair was in garbage. Was Caylee in the garbage? The hair was found on the upper left corner of the trunk liner, seems to me as she was being put in the trunk or removed the hair escaped from the bag. Mo

Mountain_Kat
Time to check on the kittens, I guess.

TiaM

It must have been in there with the raw hamburger with the onion, then buried by a coyote.

AMMich
Hair stored outdoors in a shaded area...decomp found at root end, but it was not post-mortem banding. Banding must occur just above the root. In this case, the root itself appears to be decomposing. Subtle differences only a trained expert could recognize.

You are an awesome mock juror! You get everything! Is there any way we can do a bait and switch w/juror #4? I've been gauging the trial through your posts and they would be lucky to have you as a juror.

Lexiintoronto
Oh, here comes JB to help the State some more. Squeeze out any last bit of evidence of ICA's guilt that JA might have missed.

:giggle:

mobius99
if i was on the jury and had any doubt, the state just proved that the hair recovered from Casey's car was from a deceased Caylee.

LiveLaughLuv
06-23-2011, 10:07 AM
Yesterday JB said that they would tell the court this Friday when they expect to wrap it up. Then State is going to do rebuttal, and JP said they need to know when Defense will wrap up so they can prepare for that. So far all of Defense testimony has been forensics, they still have lots of witnesses to bring in, judging from their defense list. State saved some of their witnesses for Rebuttal, so who knows how long this will take. I believe early this week JP said this would go another 2 weeks, from how things were going. I think we have at least another week, at minimum, before Jury gets to deliberate.

It appears Baez will drag his CIC out for as long as he can. I can only guess the State has some big rebuttal case on the horizon....

JSR
I have minor surgery scheduled for today, this afternoon. And if CA is put on the stand during my surgery I'll scream!!!

Pita
I sure hope the judge has something nice planned for the 4th of July for jurors.

Mountain_Kat
This is just sad that jose would ask if the hair was in garbage. Was Caylee in the garbage? The hair was found on the upper left corner of the trunk liner, seems to me as she was being put in the trunk or removed the hair escaped from the bag. Mo

Not garbage, trash! Did Dr. Haskell teach you nothing? :floorlaugh:

ami
Witness should say "I'm not a meteorologist"

Pattymarie
Time to check on the kittens, I guess.

Gonna go empty my dryer

Sleuth5
Kind of like an amateur chess player, he is rashly making a "move" of his pawn without realizing that it leaves a knight or bishop vulnerable on the next move?

I'm a paralegal in Jax, and attempted to stay away from the search for the missing Caylee, suspicion of Casey, investigation, etc. Once the trial started, I only viewed things from the trial, trying to keep myself as objective as possible. After Tuesday's testimony, I'm done with objectivity. I wasn't aware of a lot of the information out there (cell phone pings/records, other depos) until I started looking. I can't decide (and my 2 bosses are split on the issue) if JB is actively trying to come across as ineffective counsel (once he realized the state's case) or if he actually thinks he's doing well, and then JA gets up and foils his plan (in which case it's comically sad). My one boss is convinced that it must be the latter, as in his words, "Opposing lawyers are often sure that it's some diabolical, evil genius plan that they've cooked up. That's rarely the case. Most of the time, it's someone who thought they were smarter than they really are, and you wound up spending way too much time worrying and anticipating their next move, when in reality, they didn't even know what their next move was going to be until it happened."

:welcome:

KenoshaKid
different environmental conditions.

sappysoul

What??? You don't think that proves anything? I think it is clear evidence of Casey's innocence. :lol:

Steely Dan

I don't know what you mean. The whole defense has been garbage. JMO

Mendara
No the weather is a factor. Ok Jose puh

jmfstl
Now JB is questioning the environmental differences in Kentucky vs Florida

Eidetic
Completely different environmental conditions in Tennessee Mr. Baez? Like your Dr. K's pig that hadn't been wrapped or contained placed in a trunk and left there to fully decompose in Nebraska?

Stella5
IMO let JB keep asking about Garbage... he's just reinforcing the fact that ICA threw Caylee away like garbage... or is it trash?!

Dragonlady
06-23-2011, 10:08 AM

That's exactly what this whole defense is trash!
And it's what ICA deserves for throwing out her baby like trash, karma is a modsnip.

Kimster
Testimony like this makes me WANT a sidebar. :gasp:

TotallyObsessed
With only a half-day of testimony in the trial on Wednesday, we spent the afternoon determining the celebrity lookalikes for the key players in the case. Check it out.by Jeff Cousins/WESH.com 6/23/2011 12:56:37 PM at 7:56 AM

Sorry - link to check it out.... http://www.wesh.com/r-slideshow/28323656/detail.html

wvjules
Does heat/cool have an effect on the deathbands?

sissyjane
Were there hairs found in the TRASH bag?

So the Trash bag has now morphed into GARBAGE!?

Linda7NJ
Witness should say "I'm not a meteorologist"

Too Funny! :floorlaugh:

mistermissy

Welcome and BIG thank you for your post.

azscr4mbl3r
I can hear it now "did you wrap your hair in a blanket?"

Rapunzel
Does it matter if it's cold or hot??? If you're dead and the hair shows post mortem root banding, I don't think it will improve.

BigFatMommyDog
in a box with a fox

Laynee
Here goes JB discrediting HIS own witness again! grrrrr..

Mountain_Kat
We in Tennessee haz da speshul hairz.

jmfstl
06-23-2011, 10:09 AM
JB wanting to know if the house a hair was stored in had air conditioning or heating system

Anakerie
Ok, my question to Baez:
How the heck do all these hairs you're talking about PROVE that Caylee accidentally drowned?????

I am STILL waiting to hear a duhfense witness testify to ANYTHING having to do with that opening statement/fairytale.

Nana46
For the love of all that is holy please tell me he is not gonna go through each hair again! And JB fyi it is hotter than hades in Tennessee in june,july aug, so please just get done with this.!!!!!!!!!!!1:banghead:

illek46
:banghead: JB simply does not understand the SCIENCE!!! I suppose dropping out in the 9th grade may have had something to do with it. I honestly feel sorry for him.

TiaM
Oh dear God please tell me that Baez isn't going to go over what state, what month and what the temperature on EVERY SINGLE PHOTO!?

:banghead: :loser: :banghead: :loser: :banghead:

Please let JA come up on recross and ask Shaw if temperature has any bearing on whether or not a post mortem death band appears.

And please let Shaw say "no".

nursebeeme
JA will straighten this out on re re re re re re cross

LOL

kantoo
Magpie's tweet has me hearing all of JB's questions in "Seussian" now

whiteangora
I have minor surgery scheduled for today, this afternoon. And if CA is put on the stand during my surgery I'll scream!!!
Good luck with your surgery and don't worry, the video will be on youtube.

Laynee
JB maybe he wrapped his hair samples in blankets in the cold Tenn winters :-)

Linda7NJ
Does heat/cool have an effect on the deathbands?

According to the results of this dude's study...No, heat doesn't have an effect

LiveLaughLuv

Godspeed to you JSR...hope all will be okay..

Just K
It must have been in there with the raw hamburger with the onion, then buried by a coyote.

Don't forget the cabbage!

laserdisc10
Gonna go empty my dryer

Yep, I'll go make a cup of tea - the way I do when commercials interrupt a programme on tv. JB is the legal equivalent of a commercial break imo

Whisperer
Garbage is material that can go in a garbage disposal. I do not put trash in my disposal.

The sunfire had trash in the back...FGS!

adb263
06-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Good Morning All!!!

getting a late start here, what have I missed? just the hair guy? any more talk on CA taking stand today? TIA

tehcloser

I keep waiting on someone in the Gallery to jump up and say "I did it!", just to make him stop...................

Nali87
Another testimony helping the state. Can't believe I was actually "afraid" of what the Defense might do when it was their turn..

Blue Ridge
This was all gone over already when he was the State's witness. It's like hearing the exact same testimony twice (or 3 or more times once you add the crosses and rebuts etc). Why did JB call this witness as a Defense witness, just to repeat the same testimony? :waitasec: Or am I just missing something??

Linda7NJ
JB maybe he wrapped his hair samples in blankets in the cold Tenn winters :-)

Much smaller blankets than those used for wrapping pigs:crazy:

Sleuth5
This must be thoroughly annoying to the jurors.

Whisperer
Can you imagine being married to Jose Baez?

Shelby1

#CaseyAnthony (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23CaseyAnthony) Jurors 1-4 always look engaged, never slouch, yawn or give overt signs of boredom.

Mendara
Can't believe Jose asked if the dead body was in AC or heat before the hair was removed. Not going to fly if a hair on the dash of a car for 107 days does not show banding then a hair in the cold or AC or heat for 17 days will not.

Sad

Kimster
WELCOME to WEBSLEUTHS, turkygurl!

:welcome:

:wagon:

mitzi
What I want to know is:

Was the Labrador invented in the wintertime?

whiteangora
JB wanting to know if the house a hair was stored in had air conditioning or heating system
Central air? Window air conditioner? Electric? Gas?

MyTinkieGirl
Isn't there a juror that has a vacation planned in early/mid July?? And IIRC, JBP told them the case should be over by then??
AND...if I were on this jury, I'd be mighty PO'd that the defense is almost wasting my time on something they DON'T need to do and I will PROBABLY miss the 4th of July BBQ/fireworks with my family and friends....

truthsleuth
JB: Every slide you have from a live person has the exact days, and every slide you have from a deceased person does not have the days it was there. Is that correct?
Yes.
JB: These were in Tennessee in the winter time? the environmental conditions are completely different than that which would be in this case? Correct?
Yes.
JB: Another hair from Tennessee in the wintertime?
Yes.
JB: Completely different than this case. Here's another from a inside a house. Did the house have heating do you know? Completely different than environmental conditions in this case.
Yes.
JB: Same thing with this one from in the house. How long was the body there?
Two weeks.
JB: Different than environmental conditions in this case?
Yes.

ON AND ON AND ON...

Amster
06-23-2011, 10:11 AM
How clever!! I so admire a defense atty. who works so hard at discrediting his own witness! Brilliant move!

lololololololololol

KenoshaKid
Different reactions from the hair with diff env conditions. Ugh. Dead is dead, Jose.

mydailyopinions

A sidebar, a SPECIAL BREAK that includes something much stronger than a ciggy, a verdict, sentencing- the works! I'd be happy with an :abduction: .

:pullhair:

truthsleuth
You've made your point, JB. Yes, different environmental conditions... Sigh.

Wise Old Owl
This is a hiar that was stored in a house.

Did the house have A/C or heat?
Did the house have a basement?
Did the house have a pool?
How big, in square footage, was this house?
Were there stainless steel appliances in the house?
How many flat screen TVs were in the house?
Washer - dryer?

OMG - I got out of bed for this?

Mare10
I'm quite sure the SA knows and has planned to rebut this line of questioning. They were planning on bringing this in at that beginning and I'm sure they know what they are doing or they never would have wanted it in.

Cubby

Welcome to WS Turkygurl

:welcome: :wagon:

Kenziema
:banghead: JB simply does not understand the SCIENCE!!! I suppose dropping out in the 9th grade may have had something to do with it. I honestly feel sorry for him.

BBM- is that true?

mistermissy

Me too! Sucking down my lime jello right now, next is chicken broth...gak. I am trying to figure out if they have Wi-Fi at the doctor office so I can sneak in my Nook at watch...good luck to you, hope all goes well.

Nana46
I expect the jurors to just stand up and pull their hair and say 'we are ready to deliberate'.....I bet they are beyond frustrated.IMO

essies

Testimony like this makes me want a FULL BAR!!:floorlaugh:

ahoyhoy
06-23-2011, 10:12 AM

Welcome Turkygurl------I too have only had the last 6 weeks to 'catch up' (I'm on disability), and I was DUMBFOUNDED she didn't try and plea. Too much evidence---LAYERS & LAYERS of evidence. And now she has the WORST attorney in the world, IMO.

(Btw, thanks to everyone who has a Caylee avatar, and those who post pictures! We could really use some Caylee pics about now! TIA!)

JSR
What is JB doing??? He's showing the jury AGAIN how clearly different the banding looks. Amazing.

Mountain_Kat
I keep waiting on someone in the Gallery to jump up and say "I did it!", just to make him stop...................

:floorlaugh:

KenoshaKid
How clever!! I so admire a defense atty. who works so hard at discrediting his own witness! Brilliant move!

lololololololololol

I think he is trying to discredit him, isn't he? To add doubt to the death band hair?

Amity
If JB continues at this pace, I'll still be listening to him while I'm making dinner!

TotallyObsessed

Or somebody to cry UNCLE, UNCLE JUST LET HER GO :floorlaugh:

USARDOG
JB has a bad habit of proving himself wrong with his own questions.

pinkfly
trying to trick him into saying that ‘one day’ he hopes to be able to determine if a hair came from a dead body.....good answer

illek46
06-23-2011, 10:13 AM
BBM- is that true?

Yes, JB dropped out of school in the 9th grade, got his GED later, then went to Law School

fifteen89
I heard this too. What I latched onto was when they said KC is entitled to council- whether that council is "good" or not is not a factor. She's not entitled to a "rock star."

^^^ Yep, those guys are at the other table. ;)

Mendara
Jose just stepped in it. Ha witness is now confirming the science is real.

jmfstl
I will not say what I think, I will not say what I am thinking I will not say what I am thinking I will not say what I am thinking I will not say what I am thinking I will not say what I am thinking I will not say what I am thinking.

LyndyLoo
I believe JB is suggesting that root banding from study doesnt match the enviornmental conditions in KC's trunk...Hogwash!!! There is rootbanding noted only from deceased people, not live people, regardles of conditions..

Bottomline..only rootbanding found on Caylee's hair is possible because she was deseased...and this study proves that hairs from living individuals can decompose but will not have post mortem rootbanding..

The study was meant to rule out any possible replicating of post mortem rootbanding from a living human...Geesh!!

RammerJammer
Made my deviled eggs for dinner tonight...and Stephen Shaw is still here. Get on with it, Mr. Baaaeeeezzzz!

KenoshaKid
Can't say absolutely that a hair came from a dead body. Drat.

Cherry Baby
JB - "One day you hope to...."

Witness: "I don't understand the question?"

Let me translate for you. JB wants to know what you want to be when you grow up.

Murphismo
I think I'm going to go stick my head in the oven... Seriously, I may just take the three little piglets of mine to the pool, this hurts..

Ms.Heather
LMAO Baez...

One day when you grow up... do you want to be a real effective lawyer?

Good god.

Phoebeb
06-23-2011, 10:14 AM
Did you test it on a mouse?
Did you test it in the house?
Can you see it in the grass?
Can you see I'm quite an ___?

artbuc
JB just scored a big win!

Mamabear1963

Um...no

watcher9
I want to see everything that is happening so I like the bigger pictures. Most sites have gone to the smaller split screen.
I am now using CNN for the trial video and WFTV for ICA because of their larger screens.

RammerJammer
#CaseyAnthony Shaw: "Post morten banding is a well accepted science…it’s based on experience…from examiners throughout our field."
by amandaoberwesh via twitter at 9:13 AM

Mystic
i really like this witness

stilettos
Can I just say that JB and his questioning style makes me want to get the SkinnyGirl Margaritas out and just chug. :rocker:

mydailyopinions
I truly bet that HHJP will ask the Jury if they need a Special Break here real soon!

nursebeeme

:waitasec:

cloud9
Ummm... considering the 2 different environments, isn't it actually proving that even in COLDER temps. there is decomposition and/or banding?

ami
Ah, here's the open ended question that allows the witness to really explain how diligent he was and how JB's questions don't really reflect reality.

TotallyObsessed

I think all you have to do is look at ALLLLLLLLL of JB's previous press conferences, TV appearances, etc. and you can actually TASTE the HUBRIS. He honestly thinks he can "one-up" Jeff Ashton. NOT GONNA HAPPEN IN MY LIFETIME. :loser:

KenoshaKid
Couldn't create post mortem banding from a live person's hair. That is good.

Nali87
He just doesn't know when to quit.

wenwe4
(argh! lost post!)

Eidetic
I like this witness. He is passionate about his study and stands by his findings.

USARDOG
06-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Yes, JB dropped out of school in the 9th grade, got his GED later, then went to Law School
And for that IMO he should be commended.

Mamabear1963
:waitasec:JB just scored a big win!:waitasec:

Mountain_Kat

Care to enlighten me? :waitasec:

artbuc
:waitasec:

Witness admitted that he can not determine with certainty that post mortem banding comes from a dead person.

joypath
OMG...BAEZ...please STOP!

only YOU do not want to LEARN MORE!!!!!!!!

everybody else.....STRIVES to become better EDUCATED as in smarter!

TotallyObsessed

So does the state.

JSR
Me too! Sucking down my lime jello right now, next is chicken broth...gak. I am trying to figure out if they have Wi-Fi at the doctor office so I can sneak in my Nook at watch...good luck to you, hope all goes well.

Thanks and the same to you!!

Donjeta
Why does JB keep re-asking questions the witness has already answered? He's now asked at least four times if the witness wants to learn more about hair.

downport
The only thing up JB's sleeve is his arm.

The best description of Mr Baez since I first heard of him.

pinkfly
badgering....he isn’t going to say what you want him to say so move on, please

Stella5
06-23-2011, 10:16 AM
I've never been so grateful for Insessions frequent commercials than I am right now. This is painful!

PaulaF513
He just prompted the witness to say the complete opposite of what he wanted....

Paintr

No! My imagination is not THAT good. :floorlaugh:

ami

Not sure if that was sarcastic?

No environmental effect on death banding. Well established.

Tipstaff
JB needs to shut down - this isn't cross examination.

tehcloser

Yeah, but the only problem is.......it was for the State. :floorlaugh:

grandmaj

Could you please explain? I just got back on after driving to work. Why do you think JB scored?

kantoo
Keep on askin' JB

Just gives the witness another chance to say the science is

"Well established"

:great:

Oakley
Seems the purpose of looking at the jury while answering is to underscore witness is answering with the goal of having the jury understand their answer and for the jury's sole benefit, rather than engaging the questioning attorney in a 'conversation.' I can see it is very useful especially when you have a hostile attorney attempting to goad you. Rather brilliant. I love it!

fifteen89
Will JB even be able to get parking violation clients after this?

Laynee
JB the witness, YOUR witness is NOT going to agree with you...give it up!!

Whisperer
ell, one thing's for sure..Baez wants to learn more. Unfortunately his brain has reached its max.

Curious Me
06-23-2011, 10:17 AM
JB is being very manipulative trying to get witness to answer the question JB's way. JB is not accepting what everybody else now understands.

strawberry
Oooh sneaking in just in time...for cross!!!

~n/t~
He just doesn't know when to quit.

That is one of his biggest downfalls.

USARDOG
JB shoots himself in the foot AGAIN!! He just doesn't know when to shut up!

jamiect
CaseyAnthony attempts to undermine banding expert having little success. He is authoritative and believable. Well-established science.
by bobkealing via twitter at 10:16 AM

nursebeeme
this is seriously like groundhog day from the last time this guy testified...

okay.. clear 'er up on re re re re cross JA

Turnadot
On a serious note, I admire the fortitude of anyone who does this. It can't be easy. However, handling a death penalty case with such little practical experience, IMO, is reckless - not only to himself, but more importantly, the client.

Baez should have gone into personal injury.

My opinions...

FaerieB
bobkealing bob kealing
#CaseyAnthony attempts to undermine banding expert having little success. He is authoritative and believable. Well-established science.

Mountain_Kat
Witness admitted that he can not determine with certainty that post mortem banding comes from a dead person.

He's never been able to replicate a post mortem band in any hair taken from any living person, no matter what condition he's subjected it to. So, you do the math.

KenoshaKid
Has never seen a hair with a death band that wasn't from a dead person. JB made a snarky comment about the assistant who made the error and got a smackdown.

whiteangora
Witness keeps saying death band is Well Established, not exactly what JB wants to hear........he needs to sit down

NancyA
Another testimony helping the state. Can't believe I was actually "afraid" of what the Defense might do when it was their turn..

Have some patience and some faith, all good things come to he who waits. JB promised us an aha moment and I for one trust him to deliver, would that face LIE to us? This agonizingly slow and seemingly inept buildup, all this drawn out anticipation will make the denouement all the more deliciously satisfying and wondrous. While he’s got us all thinking he’s got nothing and his defense is going nowhere, in the end there’ll be a drumroll and the sound of heavenly choirs as JB rises triumphant from the ashes of the prosecution’s case and ties everything together in one big beautiful rainbow, fireworks will go off and people the world over will pour out into the streets in a massive popular demonstration of awestruck joy, we’ll be embracing perfect strangers in an outpouring of emotion as he clears his client’s fair name and puts all the doubters to shame….

Oh heck, someone slap me, I fell asleep - are we still on hair bands? Did Brett Michaels testify yet? :wink:

MyTinkieGirl

Either that, or yell "Objection" when the deputy is walking me out for sleeping....and say "it's JB's fault for putting me to sleep"....

imawitch
Hi everybody..following along,t thanks for keeping me in the loop.

ohiogirl
Please, no more slides, JA.

TiaM
06-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Everytime Baez says "I have no more questions", I yell at my monitor "PROMISE?"

BigFatMommyDog
Bing!

Aedrys
I am now hearing a version of Old McDonald in my head...

Old McDonald had a hair farm, EI EI O!
And on the farm there was some hair, EI EI O!
Here a hair, there a hair, everywhere a hair hair!
Old McDonald had a hair farm, EI EI O!!!!

LOL. I think someone earlier inspired this, so I can't take full credit. Good morning, and can we find a way out of this hairy situation Baez is making? Gawd.

strawberry

I can. Because my EX husband was a lot like him. I would bet he's a bully to his wife too (MY Opinion only). My ex is a lawyer as well.

logicalgirl
Thank You Mr. Baez - the SA and WS send you this gift for confirming our testimony regarding the post-mortem hair banding. Particularly the additional questioning in your recross....

:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

That would be two each because you were particularly effective.

Serjen
OH GOD, JB just always has to have the final say, even when he's asked the same question 10 times!

FaerieB
BWAAAHAHAHA! Epic fail for Baez on redirect!

nursebeeme
2011.06.23 Sidebar Thread (Trial Day Twenty-six) - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I am sure that we have a break coming soon so be prepared to shape shift on over to the sidebar

ami
JB just cannot leave it alone! Amazing! LOL

LiveLaughLuv
Why does JB keep re-asking questions the witness has already answered? He's now asked at least four times if the witness wants to learn more about hair.

Because he wants the answer HE wants...he keeps droning in with the same questions that have already been answered..Baez doesn't know when to stop..it appears Baez has to have the last word...:loser:

mitzi
Now THAT was downright FUNNY!!! LMAO

pinkfly

no we knew this from the first time he was testifying. This science has not been proven to that point yet.

Camille
06-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Score by JA, "The only environmental condition that results in postmortem banding is the hair being attached to a corpse"

laserdisc10
I can't believe JB is allowed to practice as a lawyer

nativeSFL
Shut down.
:floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

ohiogirl
OMG, that was sad.

Shelby1
MagpieFromHinky (http://twitter.com/#%21/MagpieFromHinky) Pamela

And one day Baez would like to learn to be a big boy attorney too. Baez is asking Shaw if he wants to be a better scientist one day

Laynee
The only element that leads to a show of post mordem-banding is the hair being from a deceased person! Bamm!

Trident
Yeah, but the only problem is.......it was for the State. :floorlaugh:

Frighteningly enough, I understand what JB is trying to do. He's trying to prove this isn't an EXACT science, and I believe he proved that point when the witness said it relied on the knowledg/experience/expertise of the examiner.

Now, I have to ask, what happens when the experienced expert dies? Is the next guy equally qualified, same outlook. etc? In my opinion, you cannot have an exact science so long as it is dependent on individual interpretation.

jmfstl
And here comes JB again asking same question again objected and sustained.

coloradoteacher
Does anyone know why it would be a bad thing that this guy did the study b/c he wanted to learn more?

okiedokietoo
JB is questioning the weather conditions of the study compared to weather conditions in Florida in this case. He is doing a good job of proving PMHB exists. The witness continues to say that he can recognize PMHB. Witness is continuing to say evidence of PMHB is well established.

Mare10
LOL, special recess :)

NavySubMom
Keep on askin' JB

Just gives the witness another chance to say the science is

"Well established"

:great:

His inexperience really shows, but does he even know that?? Does ICA realize that?? I am not sure if she has any idea how this trial is really going for her?? IMO, MOO

mistermissy
Oh thank you JP for the special recess!!!

Linda7NJ
BWAAAHAHAHA! Epic fail for Baez on redirect!

whooo hooooo another defense witness testifys for the STATE!:woohoo:

mombomb
9:10

DIRECT EXAMINATION OF STEPHEN SHAW BY JB

Witness was re-certified as an expert in trace evidence, hair and fibers with no objection by the State.

Witness was shown Defense Exhibits DC, DB, DA, CZ, CY and CX.

He recognized the photos which were taken of anti-mortem hairs stored in various conditions in his study which was conducted after his depo.

SIDEBAR #2 requested by JA (9:12-9:15)

Items marked as Exhibits 39-44

He collected 600 hairs from 15 living individuals. Study was to show that the darkening band could be from living people?

OBJECTION - leading - SUSTAINED

One of your goals was to...

Purpose of study was inspired by a thesis regarding hairs submerged in water. The thesis suggested the additional testing. He put hairs from living individuals to try to get post-mortem banding on the hairs.

OBJECTION - leading/compound - SUSTAINED as to compound.

The purpose of his study was to expand on the prior study.

He was shown State's N.O. It was an exhibit to demonstrate what post-mortem banding looked like. It was published to the Jury.

He also published to the Jury Defense Exhibit 39. (JB called it State's Exhibit and JA had to correct him)

He identified it as a hair form a living being that was stored in water for 17 days. This was one of the hairs put into the test. It was initially identified by post-mortem banding by one of the examiners that took the test in their initial analysis.

They mistook it?

OBJECTION - SUSTAINED

The examiner initially identified it as post-mortem banding in their initial analysis. The other examiner did not. When the two conferred, they excluded this hair.

Both examiners...

Were both...

The examiners knew it was a test and that he had been conducting a study on environmental studies on human hairs. They examined over 200 hairs. In their initial analysis identified all the post-mortem hairs. In their initial analysis they both initially identified two anti-mortem hairs, then after they conferred, they excluded these and correctly identified the hairs.

He was shown Defense Exhibit 41. Another anti-mortem hair submerged in water for 17 days. This is the hair that examiner 2 initially identified as a banded hair in their initial analysis.

He believes these two are clearly different than the post-mortem banding.

Exhibit 42 - an anti-mortem hair stored in potting soil for 100 days. He indicated the area of apparent decomp beginning to develop.

Exhibit 41 - an anti-mortem hair stored in potting soil for 100 days which also showed apparent decomp beginning.

Exhibit 40 - an anti-mortem hair submerged in water for 17 days. It showed apparent decomp. The root could be dark as shown here on a living individual.

Any other ongoing studies at the FBI? No.

How many other studies on environmental studies on living hair? He is aware of 3. It is an ongoing area of study. He is still conducting research.

1/27/09 report -

(JB and JA and FG conferring at the podium)

In this report, he reported on hairs and fibers that were recovered from the hair mass, debris from the skull and 3 pieces of duct tape.

JA - Evidence #s?

Hair mass (State's 271) and (States 301) tuct tape.

CROSS EXAMINATION BY JA

He found no hairs suitable for meaningful exam on the duct tape that were also microscopically dissimilar to the hair mass. All hairs on the duct tape were the same as the hairs on the hair mass.

He also recovered textile fibers, but did not conduct any testing.

These photos were a part of his power point that he was not allowed to show.

His study contained studies on hairs that were found in the trunk.

Power point exhibit marked as State's Exhibit 305 with no objection from JA

Power point being published to the Jury.

Figure #1 - 600 hairs from 15 living individuals - this is a representation of some of the hairs. These are hairs stored indoors on the window sill for 322 (?) days. Left before exposure - right after. There is some discoloration, but no apparent decomp. The two hairs are from different people who had different color hair.

Next slide - additional hairs stored on the dash of a vehicle in direct sunlight for 202 days, unused, starting in August then for 7 months. Before on left and after on right. There was no apparent decomp.

Next slide - hairs stored in the trunk of the vehicle for the same time period. Left showed hairs before and right showed after exposure. No apparent decomp.

Next slide - hairs stored outdoors in a grass area where it could receive direct sunlight for 6 weeks. There is some slight darkening after exposure. The roots were missing in some of the outdoor hairs, probably from insects.

Q-59 hairs - there were some roots missing.

Next slide - hair stored outdoors in wooded shaded area for 14 days showing apparent decomp at the root end but no post-mortem banding.

For post-mortem banding you need to have an opaque banding just above the root. The root should mostly be in tact with a band just above it. This is an essential aspect. A 3-D stereo microscope is needed.

Next slide - another hair stored outside in a wooded area for 14 days. The three after shots show apparent decomp with no post-mortem banding.
Next slide - additional hair stored outside for 107 days showing some apparent decomp in the soft tissue of the root, but no post-motem banding.
Next slide - hair stored outside in a grassy area fo 107 days showing some apparent decomp, no banding - a subtle distinction.
Next slide - 2 additional hairs stored outside - after shows apparent decomp in the soft tissue of the root. Root appears to be shriveling.
Next slide - hair submerged in water for 17 days showing considerable change in the root. There is darkening but too far down into the soft tissue of the hair.
Next slide - hair submerged in water for 100 days showing striations.
Next slide - hair submerged in water for 100 days showing significant change in the root, darkening but no banding.
Next slide - hair submerged in water for 100 days showing changes but no post-mortem banding.
Next slide - hair submerged in water for 100 days showing slight changes but no post-mortem banding.
Next slide - hair buried in potting soil for 17 days with significant changes but no post-mortem banding.
Next slide - hair buried in potting soil for 17 days with a lot of root soft tissue decomp, but no post-mortem banding.
Next slide - hair buried in potting soil for 100 days showing soft-tissued decomposing but no banding.
Next slide - hair buried in potting soil showing root end changes but no banding.

The next slide (one shown by JB as initially being found to be post-mortem decomp by examiner) there is very little to no tissue on the root itself. Looking at it microscopically is necessary to show where the soft tissue starts and ends. This hair was stored in water for 17 days, not in the car.

The next slide (one shown by JB) this is not post-mortem banding because the darkening is too far down into the soft tissue of the hair.

Post-mortem banding - there is a certain area of the hair that is susceptible to decomp. Just above the band the hair is completely hardened and dead. Where the band is, the hair is not completely keratinized. Below that is soft-tissue which is further down the follicle and better protected.

Next slide -hair is from post-mortem cadaver stored outside - one of the hair used in the test.
Next slide - another hair used in the test from cadaver stored outside on the ground.
Next slide - hair from cadaver stored inside house. The discoloration may be an artifact
Next slide - hair from cadaver stored in vehicle.
Next slide - hair from cadaver inside a house.
Next slide - hair from cadaver stored outside.

Five cadavers were used in the study.

Next slide - hair from cadaver stored in a vehicle.
Next slide - hair from cadaver stored in a house.

These are all hairs showing post-mortem root banding.

Next set of slides - examples of hairs from living people.

First slide - apparent decomp but no post-mortem banding.
Next slide - same as above
Next slide - same as above
Next slide - anti-mortem hair buried in potting soil for 100 days. It may have change, but no banding.

He had no hairs stored in a car that displayed anything that could have been mistaken for post-mortem banding.

RE-DIRECT EXAMINATION BY JB:

Hairs tested in trunk were not in garbage. He had no hairs in garbage.

Power point showed number of days before results were collected for anti-mortem hairs. Post-mortem hairs did not have dates (he has them, but not put on the slides).

The slide he was shown was a hair placed outdoors in Tennessee in the wintertime on 1/27/04 and collected on 3/5/04. He agreed the outside conditions were completely different than in this case.

Next slide showed a hair outdoors for a month - completely different temps than he would expect in June in Florida.

Next slide of hair stored in house for a month. Didn't know if house had heating or A/C.

Next slide of hair stored in vehicle for a little less than a month in Tennessee in the wintertime. Car was outdoors. Colder conditions than in this case.

Next slide showed hair stored in a house for 2 weeks.

Next slide showed hair stored for 3 weeks in Tennessee in the wintertime.

Next slide showed hair stored in Feb for about a month.

Next slide showed hair stored outside in Tennessee in the wintertime.

Next slide showed hair stored outside for a little over a month in Tennessee.

Next slide stored outside for a month in Tennessee.

His findings showed they got different reactions to the hair with different environmental conditions.

Could you replicate...

OBJECTION - leading - OVERRULED

He did not replicate all the conditions in this case. This hair could have been there for months and exposed to any number of environmental conditions.

Post-mortem banding is a well-established science - based primarily on experience of examiners. The research is there to learn more. He is trying to learn more.

He tried to replicate post-mortem banding.

He wants to learn more and know as much about it as possible. The goal is not to say that post-mortem banding only comes from deceased individuals.

Post-mortem banding is wel-established based on experience of examiners in the field. Even in case work, they deal with environmental conditions. He has yet to find a hair with post-mortem banding that he can't relate to a deceased.

OBJECTION - SUSTAINED

RE-CROSS EXAMINATION BY JA

The literature contains data from post-mortem banding from all over the country.

OBJECTION BY JB - bolstering - OVERRULED

To this point, the only environmental condition that leads to post-mortem banding is being attached to a decomposing body.

REDIRECT EXAMINATION BY JB

Did you do this study to learn more?

OBJECTION - SUSTAINED

No further questions.

Witness excused. 10:18

Recess until 10:40

Chili Fries
Now THAT was downright FUNNY!!! LMAO

It was. Both attorneys got into the battle of egos.

wenwe4
JA @ this point no way to prove that post mortem band came from dead body? correct
JB - did you do this study because you wanted to learn more? object-sustain
you wanted to learn more that is why you did study object-sustain asked and answered

witness excused

Oakley
With that last line of questioning Jose just showed himself to be a total :butthead:

mag84
Does anyone but me let out a HUGH sigh and say "Thank GOD!!!" when JB says "No more questions"?

ahoyhoy

The jury will like him because he told the truth to each attorney, whther or not they wanted to hear it.

bobloblaw
watching Jason Young closing arguments on anther screen...

http://www.wral.com/specialreports/michelleyoung/video/9693625/#/vid9693625

jmfstl
I vote that was a SA win for sure.

mydailyopinions
Jury needs a special recess...lol I knew it!

truthsleuth
Did your tests show if you got different results in different conditions?
Yes.
And you can't duplicate the conditions of C12 in this case? If you knew more facts about this case, you still don't know how long this body was there? It could have been there for months and exposed to all sorts of environmental conditions, correct?
Do you hope to one day be able to look at a hair and establish whether a hair came from a dead person?
It IS well established. I hope to learn more, that's what this research is for.
But the science doesn't allow you to say whether it came from a dead person, correct?
But you hope one day to be able to determine that?
Wouldn't you like to look at a hair and one day say OK, this came from a dead body.
---
JB: And you want to learn more about what environmental conditions create what indicators in hair, correct?
SS: You want to continue to build on everything.

Commercial!

JB's trying so hard to get the witness to say what JB wants... SS isn't giving in.

Miziree
I truly bet that HHJP will ask the Jury if they need a Special Break here real soon!

Wow you called that one! :)

TiaM
ASKED and ANSWERED!! SUSTAINED!!

He DIDN'T say "Rephrase your question" Baez you....you....

He said SUSTAINED!!

Learn when to shut up!!!

ynotdivein
06-23-2011, 10:20 AM
I think I just saw JB run from the podium!

nursebeeme
2011.06.23 Sidebar Thread (Trial Day Twenty-six) - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community (http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140977)

I am sure that we have a break coming soon so be prepared to shape shift on over to the sidebar

door is closing

fifteen89
Pretty sweater set on Casey today. Wonder if she'll tie it around her waist for the afternoon.

Z-sleuth
Bill S: Jose was Ashtoned, again. LOL

logicalgirl
I am now hearing a version of Old McDonald in my head...

Old McDonald had a hair farm, EI EI O!
And on the farm there was some hair, EI EI O!
Here a hair, there a hair, everywhere a hair hair!
Old McDonald had a hair farm, EI EI O!!!!

LOL. I think someone earlier inspired this, so I can't take full credit. Good morning, and can we find a way out of this hairy situation Baez is making? Gawd.

LOL - a few months ago, A_News_Junkie and I were on here singing that song but putting thwartcake where you have "hair farm." With a thwartcake here and a thwartcake there.....LOL

Serjen
LOL @ WFTV calling it "Ashton'd".... Jose Baez was once again Ashton'd with this witness...

Harmony2
<<<<<<<<<< Side Bar Thread >>>>>>
2011.06.23 Sidebar Thread (Trial Day Twenty-six) - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Talina

Yes, he sure did. Unfortunately for him, it was not for the defense.

Tipstaff
On a serious note, I admire the fortitude of anyone who does this. It can't be easy. However, handling a death penalty case with such little practical experience, IMO, is reckless - not only to himself, but more importantly, the client.

Baez should have gone into personal injury.

My opinions...

Traffic court........jmo.

Just K
06-23-2011, 10:21 AM
I will not say what I think, I will not say what I am thinking I will not say what I am thinking I will not say what I am thinking I will not say what I am thinking I will not say what I am thinking I will not say what I am thinking.

I am thinking the same thing.

rbrnmw2
I keep waiting to hear him ask how many letters in the alphabet or some such question

wundermommy76
You know, I know Baez is well WELL under-qualified to handle this case, but his level of "sillyness" still astounds me sometime. He just HAD to re-re cross examine this witness and ask 2 questions that he already asked and had answered several times before. What is wrong with him!? Can he not just ever LET GO?? Frustrating!

LiveLaughLuv
It was. Both attorneys got into the battle of egos.

Well, JA has earned his ego...can't say the same for Baez.....

Wise Old Owl
06-23-2011, 10:22 AM
ell, one thing's for sure..Baez wants to learn more. Unfortunately his brain has reached its max.
Wonder if he dumped his photobucket and all those google searches if he would make more room?

grandmaj
06-23-2011, 10:31 AM
:lol: ha ha ha ha So the slide show that the judge didn't let in on the State side, Baez decided to borrow some pictures from and thus the whole slide show was allowed under cross?

OMG too funny. That is why they call it practicing law in Baez's case. Eventually he will be able to perform. For now he is practicing.

nursebeeme
06-23-2011, 10:41 AM
bumping up

FaerieB
Jury's on the way in and DS is examining next witness. (Missed the name, though.)

BigFatMommyDog
Twisting those sleeves...

Insomnia Momma
06-23-2011, 10:42 AM
DS up for this witness, she seriously looked dazed and confused on the way to the podium :dunno:

Mamabear1963
Breaktime is over...ready to roll!!

butwhatif?
I wanna know who ICA keeps looking at. Are CA/GA in the courtroom today?

Marina2
:lol: ha ha ha ha So the slide show that the judge didn't let in on the State side, Baez decided to borrow some pictures from and thus the whole slide show was allowed under cross?

OMG too funny. That is why they call it practicing law in Baez's case. Eventually he will be able to perform. For now he is practicing.

Let's be glad he's not practicing medicine.

Mountain_Kat

Guess when he talked about "practicing his craft", he meant literally. :floorlaugh:

Shelby1

#CaseyAnthony (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23CaseyAnthony) Sorry. but all CSI computer experts in hall. Ugh.

FaerieB

Yes they are, in their usual seats.

nursebeeme
DS up to do direct on Barry Logan

Just K
06-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Twisting those sleeves...

She has a way of destroying everything, doesn't she?

BigFatMommyDog
Dr. Barry Logan

okiedokietoo
DS is up to bat for the team.

chelle70

No, she's glaring over at the state's table.....IMO>

Poodleluver
The poodles & I have started rising when the jury enters! I think I need a new hobby!

KenoshaKid
A chemist. :)

nursebeeme
oh this is a chemist/forensic toxicologist

BigFatMommyDog
Chemist

Mountain_Kat
Barry Logan...he's new, isn't he?

ETA: OMG! A chemist!!!!!!! :floorlaugh:

Mare10
06-23-2011, 10:44 AM
He is a chemist.

Sleuths4Me
:woohoo: A Chemist! :woohoo:

FaerieB
Barry Logan...he's new, isn't he?

ETA: OMG! A chemist!!!!!!! :floorlaugh:

He testified at one of the Frye hearings.

decemberbee45
A Scottish chemist!!