PDA

View Full Version : 2011.06.23 TRIAL Day Twenty-six (Morning Session)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

jmfstl
06-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Ladies and Gentleman we have a chemist on the stand.

Nana46
06-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Chemist

Yea Tennessee.

nosytrish
a chemist! :great:

KenoshaKid
I bet he's going to say nothing was found in the hair.

pinkfly
I guess as bad and bumbling as JB and the DT seem we need to remember that they are (IMO) trying to defend someone who is GUILTY of an INDEFENSIBLE ACT. so they really don’t have much to work with.

okiedokietoo
Barry Logan forensic toxicologist and ....a chemist

Laynee
Another chemist, there goes JB's fasinaction with chemists again~grrrr can i handle any more toxology testimony, or should I clean house again??

Mountain_Kat
D.S. You didn't get the accent, I see.

BL: No, no Tennessee accent.

Seriously, DS ? His accent matters?

coloradoteacher
The jury has to be noticing that many DT witnesses are from outside the country. I know that would make me wonder why they could not find experts here...

Whisperer
Oh no...more experts from the other side of the pond. Taxpayer money used at its best.

Ms.Heather
Is there a pool on how many times Jose will remind the jury that he brought in a chemist in his closing? I want in on that...

laserdisc10
DS unnecessarily (imo) instructing the witness to 'step closer to the microphone' because -- allegedly -- he is difficult to hear, despite that he'd only said a few words

Now he's booming, despite that I haven't altered the volume

DS attempted to put the witness on the defensive, imo, and to whittle at his confidence

I do not like her

BigFatMommyDog
Isn't Logan the fellow who had all kind of ***** rain down on him regarding the validity of the breathalyzer thing

Tulessa
Links in siggy.

TexasDoll
Funny how a lot of the DT witnesses are foreigners. (NOT judging because I am too)

Still interesting.

ohiogirl
Now I remember him, he was the one who testified by Skype at the Frye hearing, right?

KenoshaKid
06-23-2011, 10:46 AM
gas chromatograph mass spectrometry background.

Insomnia Momma
Oh for crying outloud! DT is going to be "Ashton'd" again. No doubt here.

PGWodehouse
The defense finally gets its chemist, and Baez is sitting on the sidelines. I'm a sad Panda. I soooo wanted to see Baez bumble his way through this questioning. :(

camcneishg
A Scottish chemist!!
a Schemist!! LOL

magnolia
The poodles & I have started rising when the jury enters! I think I need a new hobby!

That's too funny !!

sorrell skye
The microphone is on a flexible extension - why do the DT attorneys keep asking the witnesses to move closer to the mic? Oh, that's right - they're technically challenged.

Tip to the DT: the mic is bendy!

Serjen
"Dr. Barry Logan, Dr. Vass is not a chemist, is that not correct? "

"No further questions"

CarolinaWoman
http://www.wesh.com/r-slideshow/28323656/detail.html
If you get a chance during a break in the trial Wesh came up with a fairly good slideshow during break in the trial yesterday afternoon. (I hope I can post this here, if not mods, please let me know.)

Getting ready for the movie!! That is so neat. I agree with most of them.

azscr4mbl3r
Witness admitted that he can not determine with certainty that post mortem banding comes from a dead person.

when they studied it on living human cadavers it WAS determined..:seeya:

Mountain_Kat
Yea Tennessee.

GO VOLS! :woohoo:

bobloblaw
#CaseyAnthony This is the expert who Sims asked previously whether Caylee's wet bathing suit could leave chloroform signature in car.by bobkealing via twitter at 7:46 AM

FaerieB
06-23-2011, 10:47 AM
bobkealing bob kealing
#CaseyAnthony This is the expert who Sims asked previously whether Caylee's wet bathing suit could leave chloroform signature in car.

JimLichtenstein Jim Lichtenstein
There are more CSI and computer types in hallway waiting to be called. #caseyanthony

amydickerson
I have been reading here for years and each time I tried to join I was told my email address was banned or something like that. Anyway I decided to try again a few days ago and voila, here I am, lol. First I want to say thanks to all of you for all the great information and insight. And I have a question, hope it is ok to post here.

Why is the defense calling all these witnesses who really are saying the same things over and over we (and the Jury most importantly) are learning nothing from them? Do you think he is stalling for time, waiting for some reason or just trying to confuse they jury with a bunch of useless info? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Just K
SNOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, enough already...get on to the real witnesses. Dr G said that the remains allowed for no chemical testing that was significant. This was due to the damage to the hair and absolutely no soft tissue left to examine. They tried to get sample from the bone and could find nothing.

decemberbee45
Listening to testimony @ work. Kind of feel like Shrek is explaining forensic chemistry to me! (No, I'm not very worldly!)

TortillaChip
I remember this guy from the Frye hearings, he testified via Skype. I didn't like him, he had an attitude with JA..........it was hard testimony, he kept getting cut off on Skype. I think JA will bring up his experience.

ami
@ummyeahsureokay Kevin Stenger - the Orange Co Sheriff's office computer guy is in hallway
1 minute ago via Twitter for iPad

ShadowGal
Ahh. Performance based drugs I thought I heard him say. The syringe perhaps?
eta: looks like gas chromatograph...not syringe

The Farm
JB has a thing with chemist huh??

octobermoon
wasn't this the guy whose lab was found to be falsifying dui tests? or do I have the wrong guy

Mountain_Kat
WFTV feed keeps freezing up on me. Grrrrr.

nosytrish
06-23-2011, 10:48 AM
ok I noticed many of the DT's witnesses are from countries other than the U.S. or did most of their studies outside of the U.S., not that there's anything wrong with that but it makes my mind go to "maybe they couldn't get an American to testify to these things" and then makes me wonder why?

Z-sleuth
The defense finally gets its chemist, and Baez is sitting on the sidelines. I'm a sad Panda. I soooo wanted to see Baez bumble his way through this questioning. :(

This guy is also a forensic toxicologist. Not a pure chemist, in other words.

whiteangora
DS unnecessarily (imo) instructing the witness to 'step closer to the microphone' because -- allegedly -- he is difficult to hear, despite that he'd only said a few words

Now he's booming, despite that I haven't altered the volume

DS attempted to put the witness on the defensive, imo, and to whittle at his confidence

I do not like her
bbm
She did? I guess I missed it, could you explain, please.

FaerieB
I have been reading here for years and each time I tried to join I was told my email address was banned or something like that. Anyway I decided to try again a few days ago and voila, here I am, lol. First I want to say thanks to all of you for all the great information and insight. And I have a question, hope it is ok to post here.

Why is the defense calling all these witnesses who really are saying the same things over and over we (and the Jury most importantly) are learning nothing from them? Do you think he is stalling for time, waiting for some reason or just trying to confuse they jury with a bunch of useless info? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

:welcome:

Your questions about the DT are valid. Unfortunately, I do NOT have an answer for you. :)

Yellow Rose

Welcome, you'll enjoy it here!:seeya:

jamiect
I'll have an update soon to CNN report that Anthonys' attorney said their daughter was "not innocent." #CaseyAnthony
by oscaseyanthony via twitter at 10:47 AM

fifteen89
06-23-2011, 10:49 AM
I wanna know who ICA keeps looking at. Are CA/GA in the courtroom today?

Isn't she looking at whatever lawyer is at the podium asking questions?

laserdisc10
The microphone is on a flexible extension - why do the DT attorneys keep asking the witnesses to move closer to the mic? Oh, that's right - they're technically challenged.

Tip to the DT: the mic is bendy!

I've noticed same thing. Very controlling

sleutherontheside
I can't wait to hear this cross. JA is going to totally discredit him with his previous professional boo boos and admonishments.

LiveLaughLuv

Your guess would be as good as ours for we're kerfunkelled as to WHAT Baez is trying to accomplish...each time he scores for the State...

fifteen89
Ladies and Gentleman we have a chemist on the stand.

rut roh.

TortillaChip

Hi, there and welcome. I joined the same way.......been here for years tho. I love this site.......:great:

Oakley
KBelichWFTV Kathi Belich, WFTV
The Orange County computer experts including Sgt. Kevin Stenger are up here waiting to be called back by the defense

LambChop
Funny how a lot of the DT witnesses are foreigners. (NOT judging because I am too)

Still interesting.

I don't think he is a foreigner. I believe he is an American citizen just born and raised in Scotland. jmo

Mountain_Kat
Not understanding why the bottle with syringe is such a big deal to the DT. Is there ANYTHING that points to this bottle being connected to this case? If so, I sure missed it.

Serjen
So far DT has gone to Netherlands and now Scotland.

Tulessa
06-23-2011, 10:50 AM
O/T and my apologies, but does anyone know if there is a GA and a CA cam?

Rapunzel
I think JB's plan is to keep putting on professional witnesses in hopes that the jury will eventually forget about his OS.

reeseeva
#CaseyAnthony This is the expert who Sims asked previously whether Caylee's wet bathing suit could leave chloroform signature in car.by bobkealing via twitter at 7:46 AM

WTH....Did she really ask that question:waitasec:

Stella5

This one has always worked the best for me for streaming on my laptop and on my television. HTH

http://www.wdbo.com/caseyontrialvideo/

Yellow Rose
wasn't this the guy whose lab was found to be falsifying dui tests? or do I have the wrong guy

OMG. Can someone give me a link if this is true?

joypath
http://www.nmslab.com/about-leadership-logan

The LAB where the bag & shorts were "touch DNA" tested

mck16
Comment on Casey's appearance today that is relevant.

She appears to me to be wearing new outfit and hair looks well groomed. Does anyone think she will be put on the stand today???? Just a thought.

Elley Mae
06-23-2011, 10:51 AM
Just googled MSS laboratory No finds

Novice Seeker
I remember this gentleman..he testified during the validating experts and opinions. He testified via skype

debloree
Is this the witness in the hearing that.....took credit for alot of the work his students did? :waitasec:

whiteangora
06-23-2011, 10:52 AM

Cherry Baby
I really do think that JB isn't bringing these people of science as witnesses to bore us into submission. Not because they don't have anything to add, but he just thinks that after awhile the jury will throw up their arms and yell 'UNCLE' about ICA's guilt.

Serjen

She appears to me to be wearing new outfit and hair looks well groomed. Does anyone think she will be put on the stand today???? Just a thought.

I doubt it.

Stella5
Not just a chemist, an analytical chemist LOL

Pita

No, my opinion is we will never see her on the stand.

logicalgirl

Not wanting to be a pest but do you have your sleep function to "never"?
If not your video will keep trying to sleep every fifteen minutes and then wait to do a kind of "reboot".
For some reason, computers consider watching streaming video to be "inactive"....

coloradoteacher

i personally think that the DT thinks they will help raise reasonable doubt but have seriously underestimated the skill of JA.

Studio_Medic
06-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Woo Hoo....he said it! "I am an analytical chemist":great:

FaerieB
PamelaLeeShow Pamela Lee
#caseyanthony If this trial was done in sign language...I'd still hate to listen to Baez.

minazoe
the train is derailing...the bolts are coming loose...the ceiling is falling in...etc...

azscr4mbl3r
Is this guy Scottish?

Oakley
Oh my - he is 'an analytical chemist' - whatever that is.

Is this what Jose has been setting the stage for? Implying this is a 'real' chemist?

Tig
I think JB's plan is to keep putting on professional witnesses in hopes that the jury will eventually forget about his OS.

Sad. IMO she is guilty. Only thing I have to review is premeditation. Now don't throw rotten eggs or whatever all....

logicalgirl
Is this the witness in the hearing that.....took credit for alot of the work his students did? :waitasec:

No - I don't think so - wasn't that guy a Canuck?

Camille

Here too I changed to CNN

Linda7NJ
oh. my. goodness.

I am going to lapse into a coma any second now. Those poor jurors.

a chemist:banghead::banghead:

Marina2
06-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Witness admitted that he can not determine with certainty that post mortem banding comes from a dead person.

DNA and fingerprints aren't determined with certainty either.

SATA
Sorry, sorry for asking, but has DR. ARPAD VASS TESTIFIED YET??? Thanks in advance!!! :)

TortillaChip

I think that was Dr. Furton, Dr. Vass's nemesis, imo. :twocents:

TexasDoll
I don't think he is a foreigner. I believe he is an American citizen just born and raised in Scotland. jmo

Dr. Barry K. Logan was born in Bearsden, Scotland, and earned his bachelor's degree in chemistry and Ph.D. in forensic toxicology from the University of Glasgow. In 1986 he accepted a research position in the Department of Toxicology and Chemical Pathology at the University of Tennessee in Memphis.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/research/job185drugs/biographical-sketches.htm

logicalgirl
LOL - Steve Helling offers an apology - his lunch is in his laptop bag....figures!

ShadowGal
DS: Can you tell us what an analytical chemist is?

Shadowgirl, listening in, disgustedly: Does she have the drawing pad out?

Jorjamay
Just googled MSS laboratory No finds

its NMSlab

kathyn2
06-23-2011, 10:55 AM
I wish Baez would get on with his proof that Caylee accidentally drowned in the pool and that KC was molested. None of the witnesses he has put on has really furthered his case or defense and most have hurt his side. I am tired of hearing the same old stuff. I don't think he is casting reasonable doubt on anything. How long is DS going to go on with this witness about his expertise?? Anyone can belong to an organzation. All you have to do is pay your dues.

mitzi
Correct me if I am wrong, cuz I can't keep up with this thread, but....

Isn't Logan the guy who was 'let go' from a position he previously held, due to finding some problem with the test results, while he was the man in charge?

babycat
Sorry, couldn't resist. Mornin' y'all!

http://ploader.net/files/cfa880ff3ace46525cc13339a95d5874.jpg

Quiche
It's beginning to look like the defense does not want any fireworks. Nothing spectacular to see here, folks, nothing at all. jmo

Novice Seeker

No. You're thinking of the Professor from Florida who attacked Dr. Vass

FaerieB
Dr. Barry K. Logan is Director of Toxicological and Forensic Services for NMS Labs in Willow Grove, PA, leading their crime laboratory and expert services groups.

snipped from: http://www.borkensteincourse.org/facultyLogan.html

essies
Not understanding why the bottle with syringe is such a big deal to the DT. Is there ANYTHING that points to this bottle being connected to this case? If so, I sure missed it.

I'm sure the DT is going to use this as speculation that it has something to do with George and maybe his temper!:waitasec:

Laynee
wow, stepped away for a snack, came back and this withness is STILL tooting his own horn? hmmm its gonna be a longgg day

mitzi
Is this guy Scottish?

Yes, but he seems to have 'lost' his accent since appearing in the Frye hearings.

okiedokietoo
06-23-2011, 10:56 AM
BL works for MNS or NMS Labs in Pennsylvania

whiteangora
Sorry, sorry for asking, but has DR. ARPAD VASS TESTIFIED YET??? Thanks in advance!!! :)
He was a State's witness a few weeks ago.

sleutherontheside
Can someone explain to me WHY DCS wears her lanyards in the courtroom?

They look like backstage passes for music groupies FGS.

MagicRose99
After throwing everyone under the bus there was no one to drive it and it crashed and burned...

Yellow Rose
PamelaLeeShow Pamela Lee
#caseyanthony If this trial was done in sign language...I'd still hate to listen to Baez.

I think I just pee'd a little:innocent:

sophie01

I don't think so.... just some of the rubbish that happened to happened to be a round Caylee's little body.

wenwe4
Barry Logan - forensic toxicologist and analytical chemist - describe board certfication testing...

currently teaching @ Arcadia U in Philly and used to teach @ U of Wash ..

tested tissues, fluid and breath

familiar with cryotrapping - used with GCMS - concentrate a sample to make more detectable....background in Grad school - testing chemicals in auto exhaust...collection of smoke traps in mylar bags - introduced GCMS and cryotrapping and into the GCMS -
reviewer of journals? yes for a number of journals...forensic science, toxicology, analytical chemistry....research paper submitted for publication - editor provides it to people in field - reivew and critique - based on reviews editor decides to publish

work for MMS labs - Nat. Dir. for forensic services - largest lab in US - do coroners, ME's and toxicology for all 50 states....board cert. toxicologist help with data, review results, what to test to serve client community, how test validated and verified before put into production and medical/legal cases review and provide report and testify.....Director of the Lab- separate responsiblity took on last year....Exec. Dir for ed. non-profit and science ed for Graduate students and highschool students for forensic science....where does money go to you? no to the company

what depts in MMS lab- vary dept...screening - presences of metals....liquid gcms and gcms - analytical chemistry and toxicology 80 peer reviewed published....analytical chemist does? apply knowledge of properties of compounds and determine best way to separate them background, quantify, identify, understand chemistry of compound, how to separate from other compounds it is present with, and what instruments to use.

belong to Am. academy forensic science professional org largest about 6000 members =leadership roles with this organ....secy & chair toxicology, vp of organization, second term as chair - ....safety counsel, drugs & alcohol, counsels

Scientific working group in forensic science arena - groups developed within community, first unofficially got together, later they publish guidelines and standards to use....FBI has taken over and more than 20 scientific working groups now.....is there a group working on decomp. analysis? object - approach

mitzi
06-23-2011, 10:57 AM

Nope...JB has him STILL waiting.

JSR
If it wasn't apparent before this it certainly is now apparent to the jury that the testimony the DT is most afraid of is Dr. Vass'.

They have tried every which way to discredit Dr. Vass. Almost every DT has had one question that pertains to Dr. Vass' testimony. It's so apparent it's almost sad.

TortillaChip

Multiple times, but I think he is coming up in DT cic soon.

bonjoviblonde
Why can't the DT just let the witness tell them their education and experience? They always ask question after question about their background. Just let the witness give the jury the information and swear them in as an expert and shut the heck up! They waste so much time.

Whisperer

I thought the Anthonys didn't use chlorine in the pool. I am winding down thought there'd be firewoks today but there are just too many experts to keep me awake.:offtobed:

Mountain_Kat
06-23-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm sure the DT is going to use this as speculation that it has something to do with George and maybe his temper!:waitasec:

The gatorade bottle with syringe can be connected to GA how exactly?

whiteangora
Nope...JB has him STILL waiting.

You mean Dr Vass is going to be recalled by Baez? oh my

Just K
Not just a chemist, an analytical chemist LOL
Aren't all scientist analytical?

strawberry
On GMA Dan Abrams said JB might be switching gears from his OS and just attacking forensics and it is a good idea. NG said she thinks as stupid as it was he has to stick with trying to prove GAs involvement because you can't unring that bell and that's what the jury wants to hear....they should have used this tactic from the beginning. IMO the problem is JB has been spouting for years that there would be an aha moment so he was stuck giving some story. Now he's stuck with the stupid story.

logicalgirl
Sad. IMO she is guilty. Only thing I have to review is premeditation. Now don't throw rotten eggs or whatever all....

Premeditation can happen in the blink of an eye - in other words in the amount of time it took to put the tape on Caylee's face - there was time to stop.
It's like when you point a gun and pull the trigger - that split second between pointing and pulling is premeditation according to the experts.

It is not a case of sitting around mulling over should I kill my kid or not kill my kid.

sappysoul
This witness is already rolling his eyes at JA. If he thinks JA is frustrating him now just wait. He is starting to look like fresh meat.

Mountain_Kat
Is DS ever going to speak? Sheesh. LONG pause.

azscr4mbl3r
I see he is going to trash Dr. Vass....very clever DCS....
This is one area I have been fuzzy on The good Doctors at the "body farm" haven't even built their "sniffer machine" yet not even close but the DT team keeps raging on them about ALL the EVIL money they will make from it.. I should try to make sense of it SORRY I am giving myself a time out.

FaerieB
06-23-2011, 10:59 AM
The breath test scandal in that state caused Barry Logan, director of the Washington State Patrol Forensic Laboratory Services Bureau, to resign. According to the Seattle Times:

Logan’s resignation comes just two weeks after a panel of King County judges ruled that the state toxicology lab — one of the two labs overseen by Logan — engaged in “fraudulent and scientifically unacceptable” practices while preparing and analyzing breath tests used to prosecute suspected drunken drivers. The judges called for the suppression of the tests and laid much of the blame on Logan, finding he bore “a good deal of the responsibility for [the lab's] shortcomings.

taken from: http://winbackyourlife.org/fraudulent-breath-tests-lead-to-as-many-as-4000-wrongful-drunk-driving-convictions/

Linda7NJ
ya just know the jury is really hoping Jeff can shorten this torture at sidebar

kathyn2
what was JA's objection?

strach304
Getting ready for the movie!! That is so neat. I agree with most of them.

Some were very good. Disagree strongly with the actor for JA. Loved the Heather Locklear pick for LDB. Big fan of hers and LDB is so pretty.

Shyla
Baez has spent more time trying to discredit Dr. Vaas and it is not gonna happen. After ALL these Chemist he has found you would think somewhere in questioning he would be trying to drum up something referencing the "drowning"! OH MY GOSH!!

tehcloser

Through the monkey or WTH ever it was that was eating the raw hamburger in the trunk.

LambChop
I can't believe defense is using this expert. Can JA bring up his past employer and the problems the company had, I believe, with inaccurate DUI testings? jmo

egnarts
I'm Bored Certified as well...

Wise Old Owl
06-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Oh FGS - must. sit. on. hands.

downport
Logan retains a hint of an Irish accent. The northern part.

monique
Just got back from an appointment. Did I miss anything?

Z-sleuth
wow, stepped away for a snack, came back and this withness is STILL tooting his own horn? hmmm its gonna be a longgg day

DS needs to establish her witness as an expert. When he testifies as to nothing, it will at least be expert nothing.

azscr4mbl3r
This is one area I have been fuzzy on The good Doctors at the "body farm" haven't even built their "sniffer machine" yet not even close but the DT team keeps raging on them about ALL the EVIL money they will make from it.. I should try to make sense of it SORRY I am giving myself a time out.

Mountain_Kat
Yes yes...qualified. Chemist, acreditted lab, boyscout fire starting badge... Move on.

coloradoteacher
JA trying to move things along by saying his accreditations are enough... JP overrules.

wundermommy76
Seriously.....I am sick of all these experts! Let's get to the meat and potatoes of this case and the promises made in the DT's opening statement!!!!!! :maddening:

Insomnia Momma

She's afraid if she leaves them on the table that ICA will swipe them?

:dunno:

:innocent:

nursebeeme
oooohhhh.... JA getting ready for cross... (he seems to be chomping at the bit)

SATA
He was a State's witness a few weeks ago.

Thanks. :)
I know he was a Stateīs witness, but earlier this morning, I read here that someone had seen him in the hall at the courthouse, so I thought that the defense would call him. I mean, Baez seems to be obsessed with him!
But I take it that he hasnīt been on the stand today.

sappysoul
Premeditation can happen in the blink of an eye - in other words in the amount of time it took to put the tape on Caylee's face - there was time to stop.
It's like when you point a gun and pull the trigger - that split second between pointing and pulling is premeditation according to the experts.

It is not a case of sitting around mulling over should I kill my kid or not kill my kid.

Good point. I think a lot of people think it means a thought out plan on how to kill, where to dump the body, establishing an alibi, etc. It doesn't necessarily include any of these things.

pinkfly
06-23-2011, 11:01 AM
should we be a little worried here....Barry must be here to discredit all the labs we like

Wise Old Owl
Through the monkey or WTH ever it was that was eating the raw hamburger in the trunk.
no no no no - you're not paying attention. It was the coyotes!!!

sophie01

Yes, long,long ago. In a land far,far away. That land being called reality, not real sure where we are now.

TiaM

3 piece of duct tape across the nose and mouth.

Takes some thought before placing them and during placement IMO.

bobloblaw
I thought the Anthonys didn't use chlorine in the pool. I am winding down thought there'd be firewoks today but there are just too many experts to keep me awake.:offtobed:

Caylee also swam in Tony's pool...

cloud9
My head REALLY hurts from all this droning nonsense! I might leave for a bit.

sorrell skye

At this point, I'm definitely certifiable.

Mountain_Kat

I think we're all bored certified at this point. :floorlaugh:

Amster
taken from: http://winbackyourlife.org/fraudulent-breath-tests-lead-to-as-many-as-4000-wrongful-drunk-driving-convictions/

Oh dear....JA will have fun with this one!! :great:

logicalgirl

Thank you! I knew it wasn't the guy who took credit from his students but still something hinky....appreciate the reminder of who he is. :great:

cityslick
If it wasn't apparent before this it certainly is now apparent to the jury that the testimony the DT is most afraid of is Dr. Vass'.

They have tried every which way to discredit Dr. Vass. Almost every DT has had one question that pertains to Dr. Vass' testimony. It's so apparent it's almost sad.

Of course. Without his testimony, can the state still prove there was a body in the trunk? At that point, all you have is witnesses who testified to a 'smell' but are not experts.

ljs713
06-23-2011, 11:02 AM
This is going to be one loooooooooooooooooooong day with much to do about nothing.
The defense really needs to liven this up a bit. I thought the DT would have something that would keep us interested. I was so wrong.

TexasDoll
I'm pregnant and this is making me nauseous! I'm in my 2nd trimester so it's not "normal".

chasing.halos
Good morning friends :)

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_zC7oTLJEqEE/SUij2mOIO7I/AAAAAAAAF0o/JFYS-ENGnfw/caylee.jpg

laserdisc10
My head REALLY hurts from all this droning nonsense! I might leave for a bit.

Ditto

FaerieB
Logan retains a hint of an Irish accent. The northern part.

He's originally from Glasgow, Scotland. (The REALLY north part of Ireland. :floorlaugh:)

cricketann
The Chemist's Drinking Song
Words by : John A. Carroll (inspired by Isaac Asimov)
Tune of : The Irish Washerwoman

Paradimethylaminobenzaldehyde,
Sodium citrate, ammonium cyanide,
Mix 'em together and add some benzene,
And top off the punch with trichloroethylene.

Got gassed up last night with some furfuryl alcohol,
Followed it up with a gallon of propanol,
Tanked up on hydrazine 'til after noon,
Then spit on the floor and blew up the saloon.

Powdered aluminum, nitrogen iodide,
Chlorates, permanganates, nitrates galore,
Just swallow one drink and you'll never need more.

Whiskey, tequila, and rum are too tame.
No, the stuff that I drink must explode into flame,
When I breathe and dissolve all the paint in the room,
And rattle the walls in a ground-shaking boom.

Go soak your head in a good strong insecticide,
Slosh it around and impregnate your brain,
With dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane.

Shyla
Just got back from an appointment. Did I miss anything?

Not a thang....trust me!!

coloradoteacher
06-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Bill S. is saying that this witness is going to testify at the lack of controls and quality in Dr. Vass's lab and the validity of his findings.

rosepetal1065
Gaaaahh...I'm giving it 20 mins more..then I'm making a break for the store, in case this afternoon has some sparks.

Mountain_Kat
LMAO...witness is speachless. :floorlaugh:

tehcloser

I thought it was the coyotes that borrowed the shovel to bury the duct tape? :waitasec:

~PrinceSSa~
Quick question (just joining now) Has Cindy, Kronk and Cruz been on the stand this morning? TIA !

BigFatMommyDog
this is going to break all kinds of sideways for DT

miss plum

Maybe there's a connection between testosterone and GA's medical records, which the DT has in its possession.

Serjen
06-23-2011, 11:04 AM
Bill S. says this guy is going to testify to the lack of protocol and procedure used in Dr. Vass's lab...ANOTHER witness to discredit Vass...

okiedokietoo
well...thinking that the Jury might identify with this witness....I do, somewhat. He reminds me of one of my favorite actors "Rod Steiger".
Sorry. Just an observation...

Just K
Finally, after nearly 15 minutes...offer him as an expert. this is so annoying.

essies

That's it!! That's how the DT did their research on hair bands!!! :fence:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e135/bludemann/HairBand.jpg

TotallyObsessed

Well, let's see....she was missing 31 days before being reported, Tony saw Caylee, what? a couple of weeks before that....I think a bathing suit in Florida, in a trunk, in the hot sun, would be more like PETRIFIED than DRIED.

LancelotLink
On GMA Dan Abrams said JB might be switching gears from his OS and just attacking forensics and it is a good idea. NG said she thinks as stupid as it was he has to stick with trying to prove GAs involvement because you can't unring that bell and that's what the jury wants to hear....they should have used this tactic from the beginning. IMO the problem is JB has been spouting for years that there would be an aha moment so he was stuck giving some story. Now he's stuck with the stupid story.

ITA! And before I was getting vexed at all the TH's harping on this ludicrous OS as if if had any credence, but yesterday (I'm slow) it dawned on me that the media is not going to let him wriggle out of this and if he tries, they are going to pound him into the dust. MOO.

Linda7NJ

ONCE, she swam there once

she alledgedly drowned at home

jenniek

so now they are going to say Tony killed her? How does Tony's pool have anything to do with George.. just wondering.

BigFatMommyDog
Quick question (just joining now) Has Cindy, Kronk and Cruz been on the stand this morning? TIA !

no to all

FaerieB
06-23-2011, 11:05 AM
bobkealing bob kealing
#CaseyAnthony Getting some looong blinks from jurors six and sixteen.

PrintGal

Sorry, off topic, but your sig pictures are made of awesome.
KC isn't heeere, Mrrsss. Toooreeennnce.

laniefi
Bill S. is saying that this witness is going to testify at the lack of controls and quality in Dr. Vass's lab and the validity of his findings.

Well now - he should know shouldn't he....

Mountain_Kat
Maybe there's a connection between testosterone and GA's medical records, which the DT has in its possession.

Even if that were the case, lots of people use steroids. And this was a trash dump, so meh. Give me GA fingerprints on the bottle or syringe, his DNA on the needle, or it means nothing what so ever to me.

JMO

logicalgirl

No scientific witnesses only.

Solomisskitty
06-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Alright, alright already! I zoned out 5 minutes ago!

Kenziema
I smell a rat...

dog.gone.cute
It's beginning to look like the defense does not want any fireworks. Nothing spectacular to see here, folks, nothing at all. jmo

I agree ... I feel like I am watching "rerun" after "rerun" ...

This is NOT helping the Defense one iota ...

BBM: :fireworks2:

nursebeeme
last experience with cryo trapping was TWENTY YEARS AGO AS A STUDENT! GO JA!

Amster
This guy was forced to resign from another lab, right?

Serjen
Hate to say it but this seems like a good witness for the Defense.

Although my opinion is subject to change on Cross. I also thought Spitz and Bock seemed like good defense witnesses before they were demolished by Ashton. lol

SyraKelly
06-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Good morning everyone...just a thought-I think the DT is so keen on the gatorade bottle because they are trying to give the jury reasonable doubt as to the testosterone found in it and maybe thinking a male was at the crime scene.I know some women use it,but people on the jury may not know this..I did not know this until QueenD brought it up-I learn something new everyday here on WS!!

pinkfly
JA has sharpened his fangs a bit....I get the feeling he is concerned about this guy and wants it made clear. Does not want his ability overstated.

sleutherontheside
Jeff Ashton is like cool rainfall after a drought.

whiteangora
Thanks. :)
I know he was a Stateīs witness, but earlier this morning, I read here that someone had seen him in the hall at the courthouse, so I thought that the defense would call him. I mean, Baez seems to be obsessed with him!
But I take it that he hasnīt been on the stand today.

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. Baez will have a hard time bringing down Dr Vass in any way. His personality alone must shine through to the jurors and I don't think they will enjoy seeing JB being Mr Meanie.

monique
ODL! I wonder if the jury feels the DT is wasting their time.

imawitch

no...not that Ive seen and ive been doing my best to follow along

grandmaj
Even if that were the case, lots of people use steroids. And this was a trash dump, so meh. Give me GA fingerprints on the bottle or syringe, his DNA on the needle, or it means nothing what so ever to me.

JMO

I wouldn't doubt if Casey got steroids from one of her friends that work out allot.

Beyond Belief
do we get college credits for these courses?

egnarts
Oh dear....JA will have fun with this one!! :great:

Thanks...now I have "Bad Boys" theme song running thru my noggin.

Yellow Rose
The Chemist's Drinking Song
Words by : John A. Carroll (inspired by Isaac Asimov)
Tune of : The Irish Washerwoman

Sodium citrate, ammonium cyanide,
Mix 'em together and add some benzene,
And top off the punch with trichloroethylene.

Got gassed up last night with some furfuryl alcohol,
Followed it up with a gallon of propanol,
Tanked up on hydrazine 'til after noon,
Then spit on the floor and blew up the saloon.

Powdered aluminum, nitrogen iodide,
Chlorates, permanganates, nitrates galore,
Just swallow one drink and you'll never need more.

Whiskey, tequila, and rum are too tame.
No, the stuff that I drink must explode into flame,
When I breathe and dissolve all the paint in the room,
And rattle the walls in a ground-shaking boom.

Go soak your head in a good strong insecticide,
Slosh it around and impregnate your brain,
With dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane.

Are you a chemist?

joypath
FYI: many agencies who accredit have a "program" of on-site evaluators who are VOLUNTEERS as in "my lab has been inspected and approved and now I'll go visit yours with a HUGE checklist and evaluate yours" Agencies DO make sure that one lab is NOT inspected by somebody within the same geographical area to avoid conflicts.

darnudes
Jeff is going to pulverize this guy on cross, not just crush him but pulverize him, Dr Logan is not even close to Dr Vass's bootstrap.

Mountain_Kat
DS: Now Dr. Logan, when exactly did you recieve your boyscout merit badge for firestarting?

Wise Old Owl
06-23-2011, 11:08 AM
He handed out scholarships and grants.

Yep, that makes him an expert.

:banghead:

Marina2
If he does maybe that will open the door to past shortcomings in labs he was in charge of.

pinkfly
good limited expert recognition

TotallyObsessed
Alright, alright already! I zoned out 5 minutes ago!

I am learning how to sleep/nap while listening to trial and reading WS. It is quite the feat I might add.

krt
so now they are going to say Tony killed her? How does Tony's pool have anything to do with George.. just wondering.

Colonel Mustard in the library with the candlestick......

OMGOSH.....was just watching the caseycam and there was an ad for Pizza Hut that popped up right next to her....talk about "iorny"!!!

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

nursebeeme
boooyah!!!!! can only be an expert in forensic toxicology

DianaElaine
May I ask: do other trials usually have this many 'expert' witnesses?

Are other trials usually this dry and boring? I'm new at watching trials.

TotallyObsessed
06-23-2011, 11:09 AM
I am learning how to sleep/nap while listening to trial and reading WS. It is quite the feat I might add.

P.S. All while sitting at my desk looking like I am actively working.

laniefi
This guy was forced to resign from another lab, right?

See post #867. I believe you correct based on what I am reading.

sleutherontheside
Excellent Job JA.....expert opinions limited to toxicology.

Mountain_Kat
I wouldn't doubt if Casey got steroids from one of her friends that work out allot.

Maybe, but my point still stands. Without fingerprints or DNA, I can't say that this bottle has anything at all to do with this crime. Neither ICA, GA, RK or anyone else at this point, kwim?

whiteangora
Of course. Without his testimony, can the state still prove there was a body in the trunk? At that point, all you have is witnesses who testified to a 'smell' but are not experts.
IMO, the dogs were experts.

Chili Fries
Ashton is doing a good job but I don't agree with his point. If the scientist oversees a lab that tests unknown substances then he's an expert in that area also. But Sims did not do a good job following that up. Maybe it doesn't matter to the defense but it definitely showed how the legal process can trump the actual science.

chasing.halos
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kl5slzN2nmY/SUwelST1vxI/AAAAAAAAAjQ/TWx750W1OLs/s400/cayleeanthony22.jpg

Wise Old Owl
What articles have your read? Really? No, c'mon really?

butwhatif?
06-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Isn't she looking at whatever lawyer is at the podium asking questions?

I thought that may be the case, but sometimes she quickly looks away, like she had uncomfortable eye contact with someone, even when the DT are at the podium.

Solomisskitty
Wow, he's just a busy fellow isn't he?

yeknomaras
Miss Seeeeeeeeeeeeems is so boring and dull with her questioning. so is this witness. I bet the jury is bored to tears

TotallyObsessed
OT:

Somebody posted yesterday that Dominic Casey's depo was filed. Anybody seen a copy yet?

TexasDoll
DCS attacking Dr. Vass' lab and methods.

logicalgirl
Ahhh, the witness seems a little down about being a toxicologist only.....C'mon DS - reach out and see if you can make him feel better before JA squashes him again..okay?

Aedrys

No, you're still wrong, LOL. The squirrels were eating meat with a bag over their heads in the trunk. The coyote (who is also Kronk) was the one who nefariously buried the bone at the dump site.

sleutherontheside
Expect to hear lots of objections now that Barry Logan has been "cutted down" in his areas of expertise.

RammerJammer
Oh no...the JPad!

FaerieB
Ashton is doing a good job but I don't agree with his point. If the scientist oversees a lab that tests unknown substances then he's an expert in that area also. But Sims did not do a good job following that up. Maybe it doesn't matter to the defense but it definitely showed how the legal process can trump the actual science.

MagpieFromHinky Pamela
They are basically overseers to the board or stockholders of the company. They rarely do any exams or research themselves but supervise

nursebeeme
06-23-2011, 11:11 AM
May I ask: do other trials usually have this many 'expert' witnesses?

Are other trials usually this dry and boring? I'm new at watching trials.

not always but usually...

((this trial definitely has had some interesting moments between the dry moments))

Storm

That question seems familiar...going back to the 2008 election and the VP candidate ^i^

Steely Dan
OH NO!!!! Pictionary!! Again even!!!

pinkfly
Sounds like he is going to try to discredit Vaas based on reading an article...hmmm

Mountain_Kat
More going after Dr. Vass. Lord, his testimony REALLY scares the DT, huh? What's next, they light torches and brandish pitchforks?

wundermommy76
Did I hear wrong or didn't DS say she only had 1 question?????? <whining now>

Oh Lord, the pad is coming out!!!!!! I'm done. Stick a fork in me. I'm stepping away from the computer.......

ami
Maybe, but my point still stands. Without fingerprints or DNA, I can't say that this bottle has anything at all to do with this crime. Neither ICA, GA, RK or anyone else at this point, kwim?

Me neither. I guess that's why the state didn't bring it in? But why the defense did is a mystery to me.

Jeez, now that he's been certified as an expert in forensic toxicology, is DS going to preface every chemistry question with, "As a forensic toxicologist, what is your view...."??

TortillaChip
I remember this same issue back in the Frye hearings. JA said he was not experienced enough to testify in this case.........witness got annoyed at that......he has had time to think about how to answer now, imo.

decemberbee45
Out comes the wrinkled flipchart.

BigFatMommyDog
JPad

fun fact Arpad beats JPad every time

TiaM
should we be a little worried here....Barry must be here to discredit all the labs we like

That would be foolish IMO.

The JA will bring up Logan's little indiscretions in his lab and the falsifying of DUI tests......

Witness will be impeached.

Cheezus - DCS has the big pad of wrinkled dirty paper.

FGS!

chasing.halos
06-23-2011, 11:12 AM
hoo boy, here comes the fancy pad o' paper.

fifteen89

This morning I had the fleeting thought of people coming forward to say what items they were guilty of throwing out their car window in the area. JB wants people to believe there should be dna on the duct tape but not the gatorade bottle or syringe?

okiedokietoo
Observation:
Barry Logan is a very honest Defense witness

yeknomaras

$10 says Ashton uses this to discredit the witness ;)

BigFatMommyDog
JPad

fun fact Arpad beats JPad every time

nursebeeme

I just read the one about HIM that someone linked earlier! yikes!!!:sick:

Amster
Well...good...he's read some articles. How helpful. LOL

laniefi
:giggle:I dunno but all the sudden I am hungry for Fried Chicken when this witness is on the stand!

Miziree
Good morning everyone...just a thought-I think the DT is so keen on the gatorade bottle because they are trying to give the jury reasonable doubt as to the testosterone found in it and maybe thinking a male was at the crime scene.I know some women use it,but people on the jury may not know this..I did not know this until QueenD brought it up-I learn something new everyday here on WS!!

There is a nurse on the jury...i'm sure she would know about this if it is not cleared up before the end.

Wise Old Owl
No, you're still wrong, LOL. The squirrels were eating meat with a bag over their heads in the trunk. The coyote (who is also Kronk) was the one who nefariously buried the bone at the dump site.
ok - then who tied the leashes on the flies?

ami

I think Deputies Bones and Gerus were in on this, personally.

coloradoteacher
DS needs to speak up and be a little more forceful... She will put the jurors to sleep.

2goldfish

I never thought the bottle was related, for a minute a while back the news reported that it contained chloroform I thought maybe, but when we got the discovery one of our illustrious chemists (I forget which :blushing:) showed us that the amount of chloro in there was about the same as in a raondom sample of tap water.

since state did not introduce I am sure it is not related. however DT struggling with the reasonable doubt.

wenwe4
objection sustained - continue

DS w/Logan....background and experience w/accredation and certification of forensic labs., he is board certified by Amer. board of toxicologist....accretation for labs - certain standards to perform analysis and train staff and document....served on the board and involved in developing standards for ...his lab became accredited with aBFT....object- overrule....currently works @ one that accredited....MMS lab has crime lab - drug test and analysis....that has a different accredation...on site audits and inspections yearly....

how many organizations involved in certify or acredit labs? 2
audit process involvement - yes currently do for ABFT - done since program introduced and historically done ones for substance and mental health for work place drug testing regulated by Fed. Govt - SAMSa - substance abuse and mental health.....

analytical chemistry, forensic science, gcms, forensic toxicology....

JA = want to voir dire on other than forensic tox.

what kind of analytical chemistry perform other than toxicology? uh well...separated into 2....analytical chemistry is gcms - wide range of chemical compounds....when last time test for non-toxicological part of daily duties - outside of toxicolgy what do w/analytical chemistry

analysis of drugs and evidence - mysterious white powder, industrial chemicals, poisons, - director or crime lab portion of MMS labs - analytical chemistry hugely broad field....not an expert in entire field - mainly toxicology and methods used in toxicology methods...experience with cryotrapping was over 20 years ago as a grad student? correct

(Dr. takes a big long swig water) - not an expert in all forensic science - correct? correct.

object to anything other than forensic toxicology....degree in chemistry with honors...HHBp if going to be long one need to come the side.

I served on board of Directors for Amer. Academy of forensic science - way to bring all disciplines together for commonaltiy in standards in good practice/professional development/education..

Witness is expert in forensic toxicologist ONLY per HHbp

use GCMS in lab, provided with analytical records from FBI re: evidence from trunk of kc vehicle, series of reports from Oakridge Lab, related to chemicals from evidence from vehicle...documents regarding investigation of case including autopsy....what articles have you read? object-overrule....I wasn't provided with articles but I did review ones related.

Reviewed 2008 article from Dr. Arpad Vass re: decomp odors - odors of decomposing remains in journal of forensic science.....forensic labs - use tripod with paper pad

American society of crime lab directors
sidebar

it apppears JA is quite animated with DS....DS pleading her case....

JB quietly nodding @ HHBP -

toxicology means biological chemistry

Reality Orlando
Ugh, WFTV does do a good job of determining when to show commercials. I probably just missed the most important dialogue of the past hour.

TotallyObsessed
I thought that may be the case, but sometimes she quickly looks away, like she had uncomfortable eye contact with someone, even when the DT are at the podium.

Magiepie at Hinky says she actually isn't looking at the witness nor the podium nor the jury. She says the camera angles are strange. ICA usually stares straight into the courtroom - not looking at anything in particular.

I could have sworn she was looking at the witness though. And she seems to shoot glances at the podium from what I see.

Tulessa
06-23-2011, 11:13 AM
Jpad. Quick! Everyone hide! :eek:

Just K
How many times can they try to discredit Dr Vass and with the low-tech drawing pad? And even this requires some stalling?

MyTinkieGirl
Would LDB tie JA down and stand up and ask....This is a "dump site", right???

Marina2

That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure if they got GA's medical records.

Pink Panther
Oh my...

Not again.