PDA

View Full Version : Found Deceased OH - Katelyn Markham, 22, Fairfield, 14 Aug 2011 - #1

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

KaylynnCouture
08-17-2011, 06:34 PM
Police and family say they have no idea what could have happened to her. Her fiance, John Carter, said he last saw Markham around 11 or 11:30 Saturday night at her townhouse.

At 12:52 a.m. Sunday, he received a picture of Markham on his cellphone, sent via text message from her phone.

That was the last time anyone has heard from her.

Her small mixed-breed dog, Murphy, was found locked in her bedroom. Carter said it was obvious the dog “had been there awhile.”

Markham’s purse, keys and car were all there. The only things missing were Markham and her cellphone, which Carter’s mother, Karyn Winkler, said was turned off around 12:45 a.m. Sunday. The GPS tracking device on the phone also had been turned off.

Snipped from: http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/last-message-from-missing-local-woman-was-photo-sent-by-text-1231535.html (lots more info & photo at link)

revampz
08-17-2011, 07:15 PM
I'm getting older, wiser and jaded and have read too many cases on here....but as soon as I read the fiance was the last to see her I subconciously rolled my eyes.....I hope this is not the case and she is just having a break somewhere

CinnamonGirl
08-17-2011, 07:18 PM
I'm getting older, wiser and jaded and have read too many cases on here....but as soon as I read the fiance was the last to see her I subconciously rolled my eyes.....I hope this is not the case and she is just having a break somewhere

I did the same thing..Need to check the fiancee first and then go from there.

Inch High PI
08-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Police now suspect foul play :(

http://www.local12.com/News/Local/story/Police-Suspect-Foul-Play-in-Case-of-Missing/Hb8WfZ0rpkuNpRRLpddC-w.cspx#.TkxImqS3_Ik.twitter

Something that is puzzling me. It could be that it's just facts omitted from the story by reporting but the way I'm reading/hearing it, it seems the fiance could not reach her then went to her house and when he saw her car there his heart dropped. My question is...did he not go to where she worked first (this is where he expected her to be.) If not, and if he didn't call there- I find that extremely odd.

I don't know...I hate to say it too but something about the fiance is bothering me. Although, he's speaking of her in the present tense rather than in the past, which is a good sign.

:waitasec:

ela_ss teacher
08-17-2011, 08:00 PM
Not to dissect his words, but her fiance said her dog looked like it had "been there awhile." Now, to me, that sounds like he'd been there longer than the 3 days since he'd seen her. I guess three days could be considered "awhile" but been there awhile to me sounds like her dog was skinny, dehydrated, etc.

I'm wondering if it was out of character for her to just send a random txt with a picture of herself. Wondering if there were any words attached or if it was just a pic.

Such a strange disappearance...

SilkySifaka
08-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Not to dissect his words, but her fiance said her dog looked like it had "been there awhile." Now, to me, that sounds like he'd been there longer than the 3 days since he'd seen her. I guess three days could be considered "awhile" but been there awhile to me sounds like her dog was skinny, dehydrated, etc.

I'm wondering if it was out of character for her to just send a random txt with a picture of herself. Wondering if there were any words attached or if it was just a pic.

Such a strange disappearance...

I think he meant lots of poop and pee in the room rather than a sick dog from starvation.

the pic is odd.

ela_ss teacher
08-17-2011, 08:16 PM
I think he meant lots of poop and pee in the room rather than a sick dog from starvation.

the pic is odd.

Yeah, you're right. I thought about the pee/poop thing after I posted. I thought about what it would look like if my 2 little dogs were left in my room for 3 days... pee/poop everywhere and anything shreddable, ripped to tiny pieces.

I'm so hoping the fiance didn't have anything to do with her disappearance.

mamaks5
08-17-2011, 09:26 PM
I hope it is not the fiance, but it sure looks bad.
She was with her fiance on Saturday night and then Sunday he became so concerned because she didn't return texts... (Inch High PI has a good point)... Why wouldn't he go to the place of employment if she was suppose to be working, instead of looking at her apartment. Why did he immediately fear the worst just because he saw her car?

Ive had my own family members not return texts for various reasons, when I did drive to their home and saw their car I immediately had a sigh of relief knowing they were not in an auto wreck! Then thought they must be sick (if missing work), sleeping, or had a dead cellphone battery, etc... Never did my heart immediately sink and fear the worst because I saw their car at home. And...the only item missing is her cellphone? The one she sent a text, including a picture of herself, to her fiance. The phone was then turned off after the text was sent. (strange).
I'm confused about why, after only one day he said "the dog had been there awhile". It would have been less than 24 hours since he was at her apartment. I must be missing something or perhaps I have the wrong timeline. Then again, maybe we don't have all the details and it just "looks" bad with the info we do have.

Darcyline
08-17-2011, 09:59 PM
I don't really get the comment about being obvious the dog was in there for a long time because it seems like, at worst, the dog was alone for 12ish hours. Most dogs can last that long without needing to pee unless she had a VERY small dog or it is a young animal. Even then, it seems like it would only be one poop and pee and not really enough for me to see and go MY GOD THIS DOG HAS BEEN IN HERE FOREVER.

Maybe we are being picky over something that may not matter?

Claudette
08-17-2011, 11:44 PM
Ok I can see through this one already. It is just like Drew Peterson - she sent a picture huh, of what exactly? Kind of like when Stacey "called" Drew while he had his friend keep an eye on his phone "just in case Stacey calls". Right. The picture is for a (not thought out) alibi.

Inch High PI
08-18-2011, 01:53 AM
I hope that police are looking into the proximity of his phone/her phone when this pic was supposedly sent to him. I recall a case on Long Island a few years back. Woman was supposedly broken down on the highway and disappeared. Husband said she had either texted or called him (can't remember) What helped solve the case is the proximity of the phones and they were able to determine that HE sent the text from her phone. And now Katelyn's phone is turned off and missing.

The dog. I'd love to know if it was routine for her to leave the dog in the bedroom. And Darcyline is right- unless it was a puppy it could probably go a long time without going to the bathroom and even then would probably not go more than once. My dog can "hold it" quite a while if needed. I'm thinking that dog was in there a lot longer than he is saying.

Do we know when the last time someone saw her besides her fiance?

mamaks5, you're exactly right. If he saw her car- why not be relieved as that meant she would (likely) be inside. I would love to know if he called or stopped by David's Bridal, where she worked, first before he went to her house. That would tell us a TON, in my opinion.

Has anyone seen it reported by the media that the fiance has passed a lie detector test? I remember seeing it mentioned on FB and I'm wondering if this is something he is telling or something the police are telling. I'm going to try to find that again- that has been bugging me too. All kinds of hinkyness about this case!

MEM2010
08-18-2011, 02:02 AM
here's the latest article

http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/what-happened-to-katelyn-markham--1232476.html

"Police are investigating any and all possibilities, ranging from she picked up her life somewhere else to a situation where foul play is involved, he said."

Inch High PI
08-18-2011, 03:15 AM
here's the latest article

http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/what-happened-to-katelyn-markham--1232476.html

"Police are investigating any and all possibilities, ranging from she picked up her life somewhere else to a situation where foul play is involved, he said."

Markham’s future mother-in-law, Karyn Winkler, said the family has its own theories as to what happened the night she went missing.

“Her family and our family are kind of feeling like someone has taken her, someone possibly that she knew,” she said.

Winkler said the family believes Markham answered a knock on the door while she was sleeping — her bed looked like it had been slept in that night, and the only thing missing is her cellphone.

Another thing that puzzles me- it's been reported that her dog was found in the bedroom. If I am answering the door after midnight (which I would not do) I am bringing my dog with me. Was the dog in a crate for the night that was in the bedroom? If no crate that would mean she either left the dog in the closed bedroom when she went to answer the door (according to the above theory) which I find an odd thing to do, or she went BACK to put the dog away after she answered the door. If this is the case, she must have been coaxed away by someone she knew and trusted. Of course there is also the theory that the dog was put there after the fact by the alleged abductor.

katydid23
08-18-2011, 03:41 AM
At 12:52 a.m. Sunday, he received a picture of Markham on his cellphone, sent via text message from her phone.

... her cellphone, which Carter’s mother, Karyn Winkler, said was turned off around 12:45 a.m. Sunday. The GPS tracking device on the phone also had been turned off.
================================================== =====

So the cell phone was TURNED OFF @ 12:45 am,
yet the fiance receives picture/text @ 12:52.

Does it take 7 minutes to receive a text after a cell is turned off?

elmomom
08-18-2011, 04:28 AM
Another thing that puzzles me- it's been reported that her dog was found in the bedroom. If I am answering the door after midnight (which I would not do) I am bringing my dog with me. Was the dog in a crate for the night that was in the bedroom? If no crate that would mean she either left the dog in the closed bedroom when she went to answer the door (according to the above theory) which I find an odd thing to do, or she went BACK to put the dog away after she answered the door. If this is the case, she must have been coaxed away by someone she knew and trusted. Of course there is also the theory that the dog was put there after the fact by the alleged abductor.

Funny you should say this. Earlier tonite I was going to post something, but didn't. I guess I will now though!
I live alone with 3 small dogs. When I read the description of how the scene was left I thought, that is exactly how it would appear if I was abducted. My dogs are at best, ankle biters. And my instinct is to keep them out of harms way. If I was awoken by a strange noise that I wanted to investigate, or a knock on my door, I'd lock the dogs in the bedroom behind me (I have a baby gate on the door) and head out to check, with cell phone in hand (to call 911). And my small dogs would leave 2 puddles and 2 piles each if left alone from late at night until late the next day. So, even though I think the cell phone picture tells me that I don't think this was an abduction, clearly I could make a case that the scene makes it look as one to me!
I can only think, given that her phone was turned off, and a picture of her was sent, that this is either a case of suicide, or that someone she knew harmed her and is trying to make it look like something it isn't.

thesaint
08-18-2011, 04:45 AM
7 minutes is not unreasonable for an MMS msg to reach its destination phone--especially if there are any hiccups in between. e.g., different cell phone provider networks, poor reception on the receiving phone's end, etc.

Despite being engaged, and KM having the townhouse to herself, they chose not to spend a Saturday night together? Maybe due to both having to work the next day. Tho how early on a Sunday is a retail store likely to open.

The possibility of stranger-stalker abduction seems less in this case than in say, the Holly Bobo case. The fact that KM lived with her father, who however was in the process of moving out, mitigates against a stranger-stalker taking a chance on the father being home. Unless they somehow determined that he wouldn't be there that night.

Strange case. Seems like clearing the fiance should be fairly straightforward, if he's in fact completely innocent of any involvement.

thesaint
08-18-2011, 04:48 AM
I can only think, given that her phone was turned off, and a picture of her was sent, that this is either a case of suicide, or that someone she knew harmed her and is trying to make it look like something it isn't.

Have they released that cell phone pic? Probably can discern quite a bit of information from it.

Was it obviously taken by her, at arm's length or less? Or in a mirror? Or does it appear to have been taken by someone else?

And what's the look on KM's face in the picture?

ShouldBWorking
08-18-2011, 05:55 AM
http://www.journal-news.com/news/hamilton-news/what-happened-to-katelyn-markham--1232476.html

I have been commenting in the wrong place, that's the story of my life. Above is the latest article. I live in Fairfield and this case has me VERY stressed, I'm bad with miles but I believe this is about 3 miles from my house and the police are telling us so little that there is a little fear factor at this point.

Her condo/apartment different news outlets say condo/apartment so I'm not sure but her residence is VERY close to the location of a local festival that took place that weekend, trying to ask around to see if she went to the festival.

I must say my gut (and some locals involved closely with the search) is leaning towards this NOT being a stranger abduction.

She lived in Fairfield and worked in a local area called Tri-County someone asked earlier if it would have been closer for the BF to check her residence then driving to her work and it would have been.

Fairfield is NOT a high crime area, everyone that I have talked to her says she's responsible, kind, family is important but it's her dad I haven't heard anything about her mom so again asking around about that.

They have called off the searches.

Inch High PI
08-18-2011, 07:31 AM
Funny you should say this. Earlier tonite I was going to post something, but didn't. I guess I will now though!
I live alone with 3 small dogs. When I read the description of how the scene was left I thought, that is exactly how it would appear if I was abducted. My dogs are at best, ankle biters. And my instinct is to keep them out of harms way. If I was awoken by a strange noise that I wanted to investigate, or a knock on my door, I'd lock the dogs in the bedroom behind me (I have a baby gate on the door) and head out to check, with cell phone in hand (to call 911). And my small dogs would leave 2 puddles and 2 piles each if left alone from late at night until late the next day. So, even though I think the cell phone picture tells me that I don't think this was an abduction, clearly I could make a case that the scene makes it look as one to me!

Thanks for posting this! I was looking at it purely from a big-dog-owner perspective. My dog is 80# with a mean big dog bark (although he's anything but mean) and beats me to the door when the doorbell rings. There would be no locking him in a room once he hears that-he's on the steps barking his fool head off. So knowing the difference between this and an "ankle biter owner" perspective is important. I believe her dog was described as being on the smaller side.

I'm leaning more and more toward this was someone she knew/trusted who coaxed her away.

SurfieTX
08-18-2011, 08:07 AM
7 minutes is not unreasonable for an MMS msg to reach its destination phone--especially if there are any hiccups in between. e.g., different cell phone provider networks, poor reception on the receiving phone's end, etc.

Despite being engaged, and KM having the townhouse to herself, they chose not to spend a Saturday night together? Maybe due to both having to work the next day. Tho how early on a Sunday is a retail store likely to open.

The possibility of stranger-stalker abduction seems less in this case than in say, the Holly Bobo case. The fact that KM lived with her father, who however was in the process of moving out, mitigates against a stranger-stalker taking a chance on the father being home. Unless they somehow determined that he wouldn't be there that night.

Strange case. Seems like clearing the fiance should be fairly straightforward, if he's in fact completely innocent of any involvement.

BBM: David's Bridal opens at noon on Sundays.

SurfieTX
08-18-2011, 08:09 AM
Katelyn's FB: http://www.facebook.com/people/Katelyn-Markham/661405950

Carolyn H.
08-18-2011, 08:36 AM
so the family thinks someone came to the door and took her away. I'm not sure that works for me either. She was sleeping (bed appeared slept in). It's late at night. Someone comes to the door. The dog(s) are left in the bedroom. And someone takes her but she still has her cellphone with her?

So the person who abducted her allowed/told her to get dressed and she manages to pocket the cell phone, too? But later the cell phone is turned off. If the abductor came to the door, why would he let her bring her cell phone along only to turn it off at some point not much later?

The only way portions of this scenario might work is if the someone who came to the door was someone she knew and trusted. The someone suggests they go out to talk (or whatever). Then she willingly gets dressed (presumably, though I haven't heard anything about what she might be wearing), puts or closes the dogs in the bedroom (thinking she'll be back shortly) and goes willing with the someone.

Irish_Eyes
08-18-2011, 08:39 AM
How far apart does the fiance live from her house? Does anyone know?

Sometimes I have my phone shut off, or the battery dies and I have to recharge it. When I turn my phone back on, any text messages I get will be timestamped for whatever time they hit my phone when it was turned back on, not necessarily when they were sent. So if my phone is turned off for 3 hours, I could get a message that was sent at 7am, but it will say 10am.

So it's possible she sent the message earlier, but maybe he didn't have his phone on and didn't get it until later?

SurfieTX
08-18-2011, 08:46 AM
She could not have slept for too long because she sent the picture (presuming it is she who sent the picture). She didn't have to be at work until noon the next day, so it's not that unusual that she would stay up until 1 a.m. IMO.

Also, I read in one of the articles that LE was trying to determine what she was wearing when she was last seen and then compare that to the clothing she had in the apt. That tells me that the picture that was sent didn't show any clothing.

SurfieTX
08-18-2011, 08:47 AM
And another thing, it was specifically stated that the GPS on her phone was turned off. I wouldn't have a clue how to do that on my phone. How many here know how to do it?

keeponsearching
08-18-2011, 08:54 AM
And another thing, it was specifically stated that the GPS on her phone was turned off. I wouldn't have a clue how to do that on my phone. How many here know how to do it?

I have an option for that on my phone. I thought it was only for maps. But I really never looked into it. Maybe there is an app for finding people by there gps, sort of like the checking in app.

Yellow Rose
08-18-2011, 08:57 AM

You have GOT to be kidding me! I can barely figure out how to put in a new phone number and contact name!

keeponsearching
08-18-2011, 08:59 AM
http://*****************/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474979962056

Nothing new, except some thoughts from family. That sound way similar to another girl that has been gone to long.

keeponsearching
08-18-2011, 09:01 AM
If she has her gps on, and its something her whole family has discuss, then why would she turn it off, an intruder would not know about that option or even think about it. Unless it goes off when the cell is turned off.

SurfieTX
08-18-2011, 09:17 AM
If she has her gps on, and its something her whole family has discuss, then why would she turn it off, an intruder would not know about that option or even think about it. Unless it goes off when the cell is turned off.

Unless the intruder was technically savvy.

SuziQ
08-18-2011, 09:20 AM
FWIW, Katelyn had two jobs. Also, I wonder if GPS technology can be tracked like phone pings and LE can tell when and where the gps was turned off. I'm thinking no, but that would be handy.

http://www.local12.com/News/Local/story/Police-Suspect-Foul-Play-in-Case-of-Missing/Hb8WfZ0rpkuNpRRLpddC-w.cspx#.TkxImqS3_Ik.twitter

(snip)
She didn't show up for work on Sunday at either of her two jobs-at the Art Institute of Ohio or David's Bridal.

keeponsearching
08-18-2011, 09:24 AM
http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/region_north_cincinnati/fairfield/ring-could-lead-to-missing-woman

Video of her ring.
"Detectives call this case unique because of "the fact that someone has literally just vanished without any indication as to where they would go or why they would go there or who would be involved in their disappearance," said Lt. Kevin Haddix. "

SuziQ
08-18-2011, 09:24 AM
My son and I have bbery's and have to manually turn the gps on. Reminds me that I need to make sure it's turned on on his newest phone. Glad I have insurance for things like forgetting your phone is in your swimsuit pocket and going kayacking.

Heatherly30
08-18-2011, 10:00 AM
I grew up in the Fairfield area, graduated from the high school there, and still have family there. An old boyfriend lived in her neighborhood, so I am very familiar with this area. Some observations I have made: John Carter lives with his mom, literally right around the corner from Katelyn (3 min walk according to google map). Someone else mentioned some interesting Facebook info. All of her friends, family and strangers have changed their profile pic to a Missing poster of her with her photo. Her fiance's profile pic is of him and a dog. He has been on FB, and fairly often. He posted on Tuesday night (her birthday) that he was going to throw a birthday party for her on Wednesday, stating that is what she would want. Just read on FB that when she had to leave the dog for extended amounts of time, she left it in the bathroom.
Thoughts?

cluciano63
08-18-2011, 10:26 AM
That does seem odd that her boyfriend was throwing her a birthday party yesterday, in absentia...but I guess it could also have been a way for friends and family to gather...very strange situation, and does not sound good at all. This woman does not appear to be anyone who would just leave her pet and her life, at all...

Yellow Rose
08-18-2011, 10:37 AM
I agree with the above post. It seems odd that he'd be celebrating her birthday without her. It appears even "odder" that she would voluntarily have left her dog closed up in her bedroom (rather than a bathroom or kitchen, in this case, per her preference, the bathroom).

Does anyone know if the police confirmed that she had sent him a picture right before she went missing?

JeannaT
08-18-2011, 10:48 AM
I agree with the above post. It seems odd that he'd be celebrating her birthday without her. It appears even "odder" that she would voluntarily have left her dog closed up in her bedroom (rather than a bathroom or kitchen, in this case, per her preference, the bathroom).

Does anyone know if the police confirmed that she had sent him a picture right before she went missing?

I think people often grieve in this way. Kyron's biomom and dad had a birthday party for him - and even signed him up for soccer, bought school supplies for him, etc., after he vanished.

Yellow Rose
08-18-2011, 11:00 AM
I think people often grieve in this way. Kyron's biomom and dad had a birthday party for him - and even signed him up for soccer, bought school supplies for him, etc., after he vanished.

I think, knowing myself, that were it me, I would be catatonic. Sometimes, and I'm certainly not saying this is the case, the perp will surround themselves with people, or interject themselves into a search, just to see if anyone close knows anything....or to at minimum find out what they know.

pynkphysh
08-18-2011, 11:01 AM
I don't think the fiance is involved.

Here's what sticks out to me, reading various articles. Fox19 says that she lived alone, but her father often stayed with her (that's sketchy, right?). Also, none of her family members are saying anything (minus her mother saying that her phone had been shut off), but her fiance's family is speaking (the fiance family is very innocent/credible). Maybe one of her relatives has put her in harm's way?

Heatherly30
08-18-2011, 11:20 AM
From my reading, her father, Dave Markham has been involved:

http://www.local12.com/news/local/story/Police-Suspect-Foul-Play-in-Case-of-Missing/Hb8WfZ0rpkuNpRRLpddC-w.cspx

snip- Katelyn's father, Dave Markham, says "She was one who has always planned, has had a goal for three years and is achieving it daily. Parents worst nightmare. I want her home."

Also John Carter's mother, Karyn Winkler:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-news/what-happened-to-katelyn-markham--1232476.html

snip- Markham’s future mother-in-law, Karyn Winkler, said the family has its own theories as to what happened the night she went missing.
“Her family and our family are kind of feeling like someone has taken her, someone possibly that she knew,” she said.

I also know that there was a festival very close to her house, at Sacred Heart, this past weekend. Anyone heard if she attended that festival?

MEM2010
08-18-2011, 12:15 PM
http://www.journal-news.com/news/hamilton-news/what-happened-to-katelyn-markham--1232476.html

I have been commenting in the wrong place, that's the story of my life. Above is the latest article. I live in Fairfield and this case has me VERY stressed, I'm bad with miles but I believe this is about 3 miles from my house and the police are telling us so little that there is a little fear factor at this point.

Her condo/apartment different news outlets say condo/apartment so I'm not sure but her residence is VERY close to the location of a local festival that took place that weekend, trying to ask around to see if she went to the festival.

I must say my gut (and some locals involved closely with the search) is leaning towards this NOT being a stranger abduction.

She lived in Fairfield and worked in a local area called Tri-County someone asked earlier if it would have been closer for the BF to check her residence then driving to her work and it would have been.

Fairfield is NOT a high crime area, everyone that I have talked to her says she's responsible, kind, family is important but it's her dad I haven't heard anything about her mom so again asking around about that.

BBM

Why would they call off the searches? she's only been missing 4 days...hmmm..

SurfieTX
08-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Missing FB page for Katelyn: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Missing-Bring-Katelyn-Markham-Home/177646608973942

Heatherly30
08-18-2011, 12:32 PM
[Fairfield is NOT a high crime area, everyone that I have talked to her says she's responsible, kind, family is important but it's her dad I haven't heard anything about her mom so again asking around about that.

Doubt this has any relevance, but according to the Butler County Clerk of Courts website, David Markham (Plaintiff) filed for divorce from Sheri Markham (Defendant) on 7/20/11. It cited that they had been living apart or separated for more than 1 year. Her father's address was Dorshire, her mother's on Hamilton Mason. Appears that neither parent owns the homes on Dorshire or Hamilton Mason, according to the auditor website.

SuperKyle
08-18-2011, 01:18 PM
"She's too pragmatic."
That's a new one. Never heard that said before about someone who vanished.

Fluttershy
08-18-2011, 01:28 PM
From the article here:http://www.local12.com/news/local/story/Police-Suspect-Foul-Play-in-Case-of-Missing/Hb8WfZ0rpkuNpRRLpddC-w.cspx

Dave Markham says when he entered Katelyn's condo, it appeared to him that she had been asleep.

So the fiance has a key of his own or knows where to find the spare?

hellinor
08-18-2011, 02:00 PM
From the article here:http://www.local12.com/news/local/story/Police-Suspect-Foul-Play-in-Case-of-Missing/Hb8WfZ0rpkuNpRRLpddC-w.cspx

Dave Markham is her father

elmomom
08-18-2011, 02:01 PM
"She's too pragmatic."
That's a new one. Never heard that said before about someone who vanished.
I think the actual quote read "She would never just leave, she's just too pragmatic". That sounds pretty normal to me, and not suspicious.

I am not ready to jump to that conclusion.
I got the sense from some of the earlier articles that he did not enter the condo alone, and that her father, at the least was with him. There is a lot of detail seemingly missing for those first few hours of her disappearance.

MsFacetious
08-18-2011, 02:02 PM

Dave Markham is her father. John Carter is the fiance.
The fiance went in with the father, who had a key because he stayed there. Both observed the condo together. That is my understanding.

I know how to do it. It's just a setting on your phone.
I'm guessing I don't count though since my Dad has owned a cell phone company since I was in diapers... and I'm married to a techie?

I hope it is not the fiance, but it sure looks bad.
She was with her fiance on Saturday night and then Sunday he became so concerned because she didn't return texts... (Inch High PI has a good point)... Why wouldn't he go to the place of employment if she was suppose to be working, instead of looking at her apartment. Why did he immediately fear the worst just because he saw her car?

Ive had my own family members not return texts for various reasons, when I did drive to their home and saw their car I immediately had a sigh of relief knowing they were not in an auto wreck! Then thought they must be sick (if missing work), sleeping, or had a dead cellphone battery, etc... Never did my heart immediately sink and fear the worst because I saw their car at home. And...the only item missing is her cellphone? The one she sent a text, including a picture of herself, to her fiance. The phone was then turned off after the text was sent. (strange).
I'm confused about why, after only one day he said "the dog had been there awhile". It would have been less than 24 hours since he was at her apartment. I must be missing something or perhaps I have the wrong timeline. Then again, maybe we don't have all the details and it just "looks" bad with the info we do have.

I thought that maybe by "could not reach her" that included calling her at work.
That maybe he hoped she was on her way to work and when he saw her car he knew she wasn't.

If he knew she had not called in sick that would only make his concern worse. Knowing she just didn't show up.

If I don't answer or return a text or phone call from a family member, it is cause for panic. I may not answer while I'm at the doctor or driving... but I will respond within an hour. If I do not, people freak out. They call my parents or husband or whoever should have seen me last.

I am very easy to get in contact with and when I'm not... it's not a good sign. Even my childrens doctors know that.

If I wasn't answering the cell phone or the home phone and was supposed to be somewhere and somebody came by and saw my vehicle at home?

They'd probably kick in the door if I didn't answer it in about 30 seconds. There would be no using a key.

They would just know something was seriously wrong and completely freak out. I am the calm rational one in all my relationships.

The way the fiance reacted doesn't surprise me. The father seemed to be just as alarmed.

elmomom
08-18-2011, 02:09 PM
About GPS on the phone - I have an iPhone and one of the very first things I was instructed to do by another iPhone user was to turn off the GPS. It is very easy to find, and in doing so it saves a lot of battery power. (and the older iPhones could use all the battery help they can get.)
There is a difference in the GPS function and the ability to track the phone using cell tower pings though, and they should still be able to do that. GPS function utilizes cell towers and satellites, but even if the GPS AND the phone is turned off, the phone will still send pings to towers in the area that it is located in.

pynkphysh
08-18-2011, 02:38 PM
From my reading, her father, Dave Markham has been involved:

http://www.local12.com/news/local/story/Police-Suspect-Foul-Play-in-Case-of-Missing/Hb8WfZ0rpkuNpRRLpddC-w.cspx

snip- Katelyn's father, Dave Markham, says "She was one who has always planned, has had a goal for three years and is achieving it daily. Parents worst nightmare. I want her home."

Also John Carter's mother, Karyn Winkler:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-news/what-happened-to-katelyn-markham--1232476.html

snip- Markham’s future mother-in-law, Karyn Winkler, said the family has its own theories as to what happened the night she went missing.

I also know that there was a festival very close to her house, at Sacred Heart, this past weekend. Anyone heard if she attended that festival?

I stand corrected, Heatherly30! Thanks for the link. You're right, it seems that all parties are helping out. I am less inclined that it might be a close relative. I hope they clear this up soon!

CN2Souls
08-18-2011, 02:44 PM
As far as the GPS goes, on her cell phone....

You wouldn't have to be tech knowledgeable to turn it off,

a hammer or a hard stump with a foot would turn it off really quick too.....

Just saying....

Mendara
08-18-2011, 02:50 PM
http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/region_north_cincinnati/fairfield/ring-could-lead-to-missing-woman

Video of her ring.
"Detectives call this case unique because of "the fact that someone has literally just vanished without any indication as to where they would go or why they would go there or who would be involved in their disappearance," said Lt. Kevin Haddix. "

That is NOT Unique

elmomom
08-18-2011, 02:50 PM
As far as the GPS goes, on her cell phone....

You wouldn't have to be tech knowledgeable t turn it off,

a hammer or a hard stump with a foot would turn it off really quick too.....

Just saying....

or just drop it in a body of water...

Having thought about the GPS thing, I wonder, since the info came from family and not LE, are they getting things mixed up? I don't think there is an easy way to tell that the GPS function is turned off. I think they might mean that the phone is no longer pinging, which means it has either been destroyed, disconnected from the battery, or the battery had gone dead as soon as it was looked for (via pinging).

CN2Souls
08-18-2011, 02:52 PM
I am confused....

Did the Boyfriend say he received a text message at 12:52 am....

But the mother said the phone was off at 12:45 am....

How does that work.....:waitasec:

And how do they know it was off at 12:45 am????

Were they calling her through the night on the night she disappeared?

Mendara
08-18-2011, 02:55 PM
Was the picture old or new? The picture seems really important. Where was dad that night?

CN2Souls
08-18-2011, 03:00 PM
I bet that ring will be thrown in the bottom of a really deep lake now that the news is out for everyone to look for it.... :no:

UFO
08-18-2011, 03:25 PM
http://digitallife.today.com/_news/2011/04/20/6501660-your-iphone-is-secretly-tracking-you-all-the-time

iPHONE "feature" you might or might not be aware of. Pretty sure you need to have access to the phone to use the data and not that some guy at Apple is following you're every move.

Your iPhone has a hidden feature: It tracks and records your location constantly whether you want it to or not.

elmomom
08-18-2011, 03:31 PM
http://digitallife.today.com/_news/2011/04/20/6501660-your-iphone-is-secretly-tracking-you-all-the-time

iPHONE "feature" you might or might not be aware of. Pretty sure you need to have access to the phone to use the data and not that some guy at Apple is following you're every move.

actually since that info has come to light, it has been found that many "smartphones" do the same. Basically it is just arranging internet reception from location to location and remembering it. No big deal, and in this case it is of the same value as cell tower pinging. Whether or not the phone saves the data is not an issue here, as to track a missing person via phone, they need to go through the phone provider.

Heatherly30
08-18-2011, 07:16 PM
http://www.wlwt.com/r-video/28909094/detail.html

Video and recording of 911 call.

SurfieTX
08-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Info about the Sacred Heart Festival: http://www.journal-news.com/news/hamilton-news/annual-sacred-heart-festival-kicks-off-friday-1227224.html

Question: Why would a church festival attract sketchy people?

ShouldBWorking
08-18-2011, 08:30 PM
http://www.wlwt.com/r-video/28909094/detail.html

Video and recording of 911 call.

I have been unsure of how I felt about all of this but after listening to this 3 times I am calling BS. I hope I'm wrong but I don't feel the panic I would expect if you are so concerned you are calling 911. Why go into the festival and sketchy people. Not having a good feeling.

ShouldBWorking
08-18-2011, 08:41 PM
I don't think the fiance is involved.

Here's what sticks out to me, reading various articles. Fox19 says that she lived alone, but her father often stayed with her (that's sketchy, right?). Also, none of her family members are saying anything (minus her mother saying that her phone had been shut off), but her fiance's family is speaking (the fiance family is very innocent/credible). Maybe one of her relatives has put her in harm's way?

<modsnip>.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44151172/ns/local_news-cincinnati_oh/t/fairfield-police-issue-alert-missing-woman/#.Tk2v_12NBsg

Her family is VERY involved in the search, with the police and local news and there in NO ONE pointing a finger at any of them. As you will read they had lived at their address for about 5 years in another interview it's been said dad was in the process of moving in with his girlfriend. I hear the father is pitiful <modsnip>!!

nerosleuth
08-18-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm wondering about the general area around Katelyn's condo.

Are there any woods or open fields that has tall weeds nearby? Are there any construction activity currently going on anywhere near the condo?

ShouldBWorking
08-18-2011, 10:13 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps?pq=google&hl=en&cp=24&gs_id=35&xhr=t&q=dorshire+drive+fairfield&client=firefox-a&hs=uBa&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1440&bih=761&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x88404860d598f9eb:0xaad990c1c35a2cb6,Dorshi re+Dr,+Fairfield,+OH+45014&gl=us&ei=UsZNTuKYLojx0gGCqfmQBw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBYQ8gEwAA

woods behind her home have been searched by ground and air

ShouldBWorking
08-18-2011, 10:14 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps?pq=google&hl=en&cp=24&gs_id=35&xhr=t&q=dorshire+drive+fairfield&client=firefox-a&hs=uBa&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1440&bih=761&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x88404860d598f9eb:0xaad990c1c35a2cb6,Dorshi re+Dr,+Fairfield,+OH+45014&gl=us&ei=UsZNTuKYLojx0gGCqfmQBw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBYQ8gEwAA

woods behind her home have been searched by ground and air

HockeyGirl
08-18-2011, 10:56 PM
This is just my opinion, and I really hope I'm wrong on this, but I really think her fiance, John Carter and one of her friends were involved in this.

I know everyone handles grief in their own way, however at the volunteer searches and gatherings, he just does not seem concerned, the same can be said about one of Katelyn's friends. With John Carter, he just seems to lack all emotion, and not as a person who is in shock, those people almost seem zombie like, no this guy is just going on with life as if Katelyn is not missing at all.

As for the friend, I won't name names, but several people on FB who have been trying to spread the word about Katelyn's disapearence and keeping us updated about the searches and such, have had really nasty messages sent to them by this person, which I just find odd, since they are only trying to help.

Again I really hope I'm wrong, these are just my observations.

Inch High PI
08-19-2011, 12:08 AM
Questions I would love to know the answers to but have not seen reported:

1) Have the police determined from the cell phone company directly that the phone and GPS were turned off or are they just taking someone's word for it?

2) Was her front door locked and what kind of lock was it (ie one you could lock from the inside and then close from the outside or one that had to be key locked from the outside.)

3) What was the last thing she was wearing and are those clothes still in her condo?

4) I saw a post on FB about a "conversation she had with a co-worker" what was this conversation about? Did she confide in someone about something? Abuse? An affair? What?

5) I also saw on FB that the fiance passed a polygraph. I'd love to know if this is actually true or if it's misinformation that has just been perpetually passed on (I've seen this happen in other cases)

6) Who was the last person besides her fiance to see her and what time/where was this?

7) Did her fiance go to or talk with someone from Davids before going to her house?

I'm sure this list will grow as I continue to think about this case...

Darcyline
08-19-2011, 12:11 AM
The 911 call made me a little suspicious-he is already setting up someone else (all those sketchy characters at the Church festival).

I don't know. Sometimes I get cynical and I don't want to convict someone before we know any real details.

Inch High PI
08-19-2011, 12:13 AM
I have been unsure of how I felt about all of this but after listening to this 3 times I am calling BS. I hope I'm wrong but I don't feel the panic I would expect if you are so concerned you are calling 911. Why go into the festival and sketchy people. Not having a good feeling.

Completely agree with this. Why mention the festival at all? And if there were that many sketchy people around from the festival that he was concerned, why did he leave her alone there the night before? And, I know everyone reacts differently but, to me, he is way too calm in this call.

I hope I am wrong, but I have a bad, bad feeling about this one.

ShouldBWorking
08-19-2011, 12:37 AM
This is just my opinion, and I really hope I'm wrong on this, but I really think her fiance, John Carter and one of her friends were involved in this.

I know everyone handles grief in their own way, however at the volunteer searches and gatherings, he just does not seem concerned, the same can be said about one of Katelyn's friends. With John Carter, he just seems to lack all emotion, and not as a person who is in shock, those people almost seem zombie like, no this guy is just going on with life as if Katelyn is not missing at all.

As for the friend, I won't name names, but several people on FB who have been trying to spread the word about Katelyn's disapearence and keeping us updated about the searches and such, have had really nasty messages sent to them by this person, which I just find odd, since they are only trying to help.

Again I really hope I'm wrong, these are just my observations.

I don't know where this is happening but I just got personally attacked on a FB page for even hinting that this is anything other then she just walked out the door on her own. I wish I could find some place on line where people are really supporting Katelynn.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Missing-Bring-Katelyn-Markham-Home/177646608973942

I'm not sure how you can put this out there for the public and then expect people to drink the kool aid when it doesn't make sense. I don't know who did this but I am confident aliens didn't so I'd like to see some closure and before we send kids off to school next week would be favorable!

ShouldBWorking
08-19-2011, 12:42 AM
Questions I would love to know the answers to but have not seen reported:

1) Have the police determined from the cell phone company directly that the phone and GPS were turned off or are they just taking someone's word for it?
this info hasn't been released yet

2) Was her front door locked and what kind of lock was it (ie one you could lock from the inside and then close from the outside or one that had to be key locked from the outside.) again not being released

3) What was the last thing she was wearing and are those clothes still in her condo? not released but her father said in an interview that when he went to the apartment her bed looked like it had been slept in

4) I saw a post on FB about a "conversation she had with a co-worker" what was this conversation about? Did she confide in someone about something? Abuse? An affair? What? if you find this will you post it?

5) I also saw on FB that the fiance passed a polygraph. I'd love to know if this is actually true or if it's misinformation that has just been perpetually passed on (I've seen this happen in other cases)this has not been reported but I have a call out to our LPD so if I find out I will let you know

6) Who was the last person besides her fiance to see her and what time/where was this? again not being reported, I think this is odd

7) Did her fiance go to or talk with someone from Davids before going to her house? what is being reported is he texted her all day she didn't respond and he went to her apartment I also wonder why didn't he call her best friend or her job why did he automatically do to the apartment

I'm sure this list will grow as I continue to think about this case...

Please keep asking questions it's nice to know I'm not the only one that thinks something isn't right

cluciano63
08-19-2011, 12:44 AM
The FB page is being strangely monitored, I agree. Apparently, no theories at all are allowed. She vanished, no one is to blame, let's pray for her...that seems to be the party line.
JMO

ShouldBWorking
08-19-2011, 12:49 AM
The FB page is being strangely monitored, I agree. Apparently, no theories at all are allowed. She vanished, no one is to blame, let's pray for her...that seems to be the party line.
JMO

I guess she ran off with the carni from the festival that had the "questionable" people.....I don't understand why she isn't being represented I am sure her family is heartbroken and just can't worry about anything but putting one foot in front of the other BUT surely there is a friend or co-worker who can get the word out unless he police already know that side of the story and they are asking folks to lay low because they know more then they are saying.

ShouldBWorking
08-19-2011, 01:19 AM
http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/region_north_cincinnati/fairfield/detectives-search-missing-woman%27s-home

katydid23
08-19-2011, 01:30 AM
Since when does an annual Church festival bring such suspicion about random stranager abductions?

thesaint
08-19-2011, 01:58 AM
You have GOT to be kidding me! I can barely figure out how to put in a new phone number and contact name!

LOL, same here! but then younger-than-me-folks seem to be more adept at these things.

thesaint
08-19-2011, 02:01 AM

I agree, without expressing an opinion on the fiance's guilt/innocence, difficult to know how we'd react without walking in that person's shoes a bit under the specific facts.

thesaint
08-19-2011, 02:03 AM
I thought that maybe by "could not reach her" that included calling her at work.
That maybe he hoped she was on her way to work and when he saw her car he knew she wasn't.

If he knew she had not called in sick that would only make his concern worse. Knowing she just didn't show up.

If I don't answer or return a text or phone call from a family member, it is cause for panic. I may not answer while I'm at the doctor or driving... but I will respond within an hour. If I do not, people freak out. They call my parents or husband or whoever should have seen me last.

I am very easy to get in contact with and when I'm not... it's not a good sign. Even my childrens doctors know that.

If I wasn't answering the cell phone or the home phone and was supposed to be somewhere and somebody came by and saw my vehicle at home?

They'd probably kick in the door if I didn't answer it in about 30 seconds. There would be no using a key.

They would just know something was seriously wrong and completely freak out. I am the calm rational one in all my relationships.

The way the fiance reacted doesn't surprise me. The father seemed to be just as alarmed.

thanks, good points.

thesaint
08-19-2011, 02:11 AM

Unfortunately, after listening to the 911 call by her fiance, I agree.

Amity
08-19-2011, 06:21 AM

Verizon Ev owner here (read: much older phone, no data plan, no bells and whistles).
Had a need to call 911 and within 20 seconds the dispatcher was telling me where I was and the nearest cross street.
Not being techie in the least little bit, my jaw dropped wide open when dispatcher was telling me where I was located!

I did not need to know where I was.....I knew. But in the moment I was trying to give my address I was stammering and stuttering and dispatcher helped me out by giving me my location.

When I hung up the phone, my screen didn't go back to my normal picture. Instead it had a message....something about GPS tracking. About 30 seconds later my phone went back to the normal picture I have set.

I don't DON'T want to be cynical, but......

Please let this young woman be found.

keeponsearching
08-19-2011, 07:32 AM
I just typed this whole thing up and hit a wrong key...

Anyways. I just listen to the 911 call and have to mention one thing. Have you ever had a thought cross your mind, I have no examples, but then it comes true? I wonder if he worried about the sketchy people around but never had the moment to mention it to her, and now she is missing. Could be why he brought it up on the 911 call.

ShouldBWorking
08-19-2011, 07:35 AM
Since when does an annual Church festival bring such suspicion about random stranager abductions?

I really want to push our local PD to come out and address this I want to hear that other people saw these questionable people, because this is causing a real fear factor in our community and I'm calling BS!

ShouldBWorking
08-19-2011, 07:37 AM
I just typed this whole thing up and hit a wrong key...

Anyways. I just listen to the 911 call and have to mention one thing. Have you ever had a thought cross your mind, I have no examples, but then it comes true? I wonder if he worried about the sketchy people around but never had the moment to mention it to her, and now she is missing. Could be why he brought it up on the 911 call.

I would like to think that my son who is VERY close to his age IF he was some place with his girlfriend and people "bothered" him to the degree that this young man was bothered and it was close to her house and she lived ALONE (which again really he mentioned that in the call) MY SON WOULDN'T LEAVE HER ALONE....

JeannieC
08-19-2011, 07:42 AM

I do but only because I wanted to be sure it was turned on when I got it. I read the book........lol

SurfieTX
08-19-2011, 08:08 AM
She was set to graduate with her bachelor’s degree from the Art Institute of Cincinnati in mid-September and was planning to move to Colorado with Carter on Nov. 28. They were planning to marry in two years, after Carter turned 25. Tuesday was also the couple’s one-year anniversary of being engaged. He proposed on her 21 birthday.

“Katelyn is the love of my life. I miss her a lot. I love her a lot,” Carter said.

She shared the townhouse with her father, who was reportedly in the process of moving in with his girlfriend. She was home alone the night she went missing.

http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/last-message-from-missing-local-woman-was-photo-sent-by-text-1231535.html

SurfieTX
08-19-2011, 08:11 AM
I can't find the article again, but I read that her phone was red. I know an iPhone comes in red, but not sure about other brands.

They have been engaged for a year. Did she have any previous boyfriends? Did JC have any previous girlfriends? What about the father's girlfriend? And what about classmates?

SurfieTX
08-19-2011, 08:14 AM
And why move all of the way to Colorado? Did she have a job set up there? The 28th is on a Monday. The Monday after the Thanksgiving weekend.

Idon'tneedthesame
08-19-2011, 09:00 AM
I too have a bad feeling about the fiancée. I'm thinking though that maybe they saw some "shady" characters earlier in the evening? Trying to keep an open mind and consider all possibilities here but I can't shake my initial feeling about him. I hope I'm wrong.

SurfieTX
08-19-2011, 09:08 AM
Does JC work? He lives with his mother, I read (father too?). Why wait until after JC turns 25 to get married? What's so magic about that number?

SurfieTX
08-19-2011, 09:28 AM
A prayer vigil is set for Friday evening on behalf of a 22-year-old southwest Ohio woman reported missing last weekend.

http://www.wdtn.com/dpp/news/ohio/prayer-vigil-set-for-missing-southwest-ohio-woman

SurfieTX
08-19-2011, 09:30 AM
FAIRFIELD - Agents with the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation on Thursday removed items from the Dorshire Drive home of a missing Fairfield woman to be analyzed at their crime lab.

Fairfield Police Lt. Kevin Haddix said the state agency offered their help in solving the Sunday disappearance of Katelyn Markham even though "there is no direct evidence that there was foul play involved."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20110818/NEWS01/108190345/

brighidin
08-19-2011, 10:22 AM
Katelyn's website. http://khmarkham.com/

There is probably nothing connected to her being missing here, although her phone number is on the contact page. There are also examples of her graphic design work.

pynkphysh
08-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Katelyn's website. http://khmarkham.com/

There is probably nothing connected to her being missing here, although her phone number is on the contact page. There are also examples of her graphic design work.

In one of the examples in her portfolio, her address is listed :\

pynkphysh
08-19-2011, 12:56 PM
911 call and information about Katelyn and fiance John's last conversation concerning their rescheduled move to Colorado:

http://www.fox19.com/story/15295662/police-release-911-call-reporting-katelyn-markhams-disappearance?redirected=true

ohiogirl
08-19-2011, 01:05 PM
I thought the boyfriend sounded ok. Didn't raise any suspicions with me. I hope they find her soon. I can't imagine what has happened here.

ShouldBWorking
08-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Does JC work? He lives with his mother, I read (father too?). Why wait until after JC turns 25 to get married? What's so magic about that number?

Pretty sure he lives with mom and stepdad, he delivers Pizza at Papa Johns-they have been together for either 5 or 6 years.

Mysti88c
08-19-2011, 05:17 PM
I grew up in Fairfield and lived there 30 years. My dad was a police officer and invovled in local politics. Now that I live in a big city, I realize what a sheltered little upbringing I had. I can't imagine what "shady characters" he saw at the church festival. It is very hard for me to believe some stranger was able to abduct her without any trace!

PlainJaneDoe
08-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Info about the Sacred Heart Festival: http://www.journal-news.com/news/hamilton-news/annual-sacred-heart-festival-kicks-off-friday-1227224.html

Question: Why would a church festival attract sketchy people?

MOO, 'cause sketchy people are everywhere.:twocents:

PlainJaneDoe
08-19-2011, 05:53 PM
I can't find the article again, but I read that her phone was red. I know an iPhone comes in red, but not sure about other brands.

They have been engaged for a year. Did she have any previous boyfriends? Did JC have any previous girlfriends? What about the father's girlfriend? And what about classmates?

Some Blackberry models are burgundy or maroon, no?

chasing.halos
08-19-2011, 06:13 PM
This is such a weird case. I have been following, but haven't posted because well, I am just baffled.

I have been trying to focus on the fact that she is missing along with only her cell phone. Car, keys and purse were left behind. So, if she was abducted, was her cell phone in her pocket or something and then discarded once the perp saw it? Or could she have been suicidal, walked out with her phone, sent her boyfriend one last picture of her before killing herself? Or did she go to the festival and just bring her phone?
Or did someone discard the phone after doing something sinister because they didn't want what is known on the phone?

I don't know, the phone thing just bugs me. Anyways, hope we get more info on this case soon!

SurfieTX
08-19-2011, 06:35 PM
This is such a weird case. I have been following, but haven't posted because well, I am just baffled.

I have been trying to focus on the fact that she is missing along with only her cell phone. Car, keys and purse were left behind. So, if she was abducted, was her cell phone in her pocket or something and then discarded once the perp saw it? Or could she have been suicidal, walked out with her phone, sent her boyfriend one last picture of her before killing herself? Or did she go to the festival and just bring her phone?
Or did someone discard the phone after doing something sinister because they didn't want what is known on the phone?

I don't know, the phone thing just bugs me. Anyways, hope we get more info on this case soon!

Me too. The other thing that bugs me is that the dog was left in an unfamiliar area of the townhouse. I think even suicidal people would make sure their dog(s) were okay prior to doing something to harm themselves.

When I was a youngster, we had an intruder come in while I was home alone asleep around 3:30 in the afternoon (my bedroom door was closed). The intruder came in and locked the dog in my brother's room, and then RIGHT at that time my dad and brother came home fortunately. The intruder(s) ran out of the house through the back door, but the dog was still locked in my brother's room even though it was a smallish dog - poodle/mutt mix, but very friendly and not a barker.

We would never had shut in Lucky (the dog) in my brother's room. Never.

Darcyline
08-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Do we know that she wouldn't have left the dog in her room?

chasing.halos
08-19-2011, 07:04 PM
Me too. The other thing that bugs me is that the dog was left in an unfamiliar area of the townhouse. I think even suicidal people would make sure their dog(s) were okay prior to doing something to harm themselves.

When I was a youngster, we had an intruder come in while I was home alone asleep around 3:30 in the afternoon (my bedroom door was closed). The intruder came in and locked the dog in my brother's room, and then RIGHT at that time my dad and brother came home fortunately. The intruder(s) ran out of the house through the back door, but the dog was still locked in my brother's room even though it was a smallish dog - poodle/mutt mix, but very friendly and not a barker.

We would never had shut in Lucky (the dog) in my brother's room. Never.

Very interesting. I am so glad you and your family were okay, Surf. How scary!

So yes, the dog being in an unfamiliar room of the townhouse is strange. I really wonder now about an intruder. I assume there were no signs of a struggle since the police chief stated foul play was NOT suspected at this time. The phone thing gets me. But I guess it is plausible that she just happened to have it on her when she was possibly abducted? I also wonder if her door was found locked or unlocked. If it was locked and she didn't take her keys, then IMHO it is likely that it was either an intruder that locked it on the way out OR she left knowing she would not come back.

Just so so strange.

terracotta
08-19-2011, 07:20 PM
It feels quite off that the fiance's "heart dropped" when he drove up to her place and her car was there. There just could have been so many normal reasons for her to not have gone into work. He was also speaking of her in the past tense. Seems hinky.

I can't find it anywhere where the couple were together on that Sat night? Were they with other people? Did they go out to eat? Movie? Anyone else see them that night?

Also was it normal for her to text pictures of herself to him?

alwayslooking
08-19-2011, 07:59 PM
I keep listening to the 911 call, and something here is just plain wrong!!!! The bad thing is I am about 50 years old, and this song by Destiny's Child keeps coming to my mind, everytime I listen to the 911 call.........I have heard this song less then a handful of times in my life! Take it as you see fit!!!!!MHO

Say My Name

Destiny's Child - Say my name - YouTube

belfastgirl73
08-19-2011, 08:38 PM
The phone thing is strange to me too! She left everything else behind but took her phone? That picture has me baffled too? What was the picture like? Was she dressed, did she look scared, what was in the background? More questions than answers! :waitasec:

ShouldBWorking
08-19-2011, 09:38 PM
MOO, 'cause sketchy people are everywhere.:twocents:

I have talked to about 30 people that were at the festival since listening to the 911 tape and five different people who have been involved in the searches have made the comment that some of the people that the fiancee has in his support system seem more sketchy then anyone they ran into at the festival so I guess "sketchy" is just VERY much a personal opinion.

ShouldBWorking
08-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Do we know that she wouldn't have left the dog in her room?

I looked for the article and can't find it but someone was quoted saying the room the dog was found it was not the typical place she would have left her dog. Will continue to look for the link.

SurfieTX
08-19-2011, 10:06 PM
I looked for the article and can't find it but someone was quoted saying the room the dog was found it was not the typical place she would have left her dog. Will continue to look for the link.

It has been scrubbed from the net articles IMO, along with the fact that her phone is a certain color. I've looked and looked, and I KNOW I read those two facts.

JeannieC
08-19-2011, 10:17 PM
I grew up in Fairfield and lived there 30 years. My dad was a police officer and invovled in local politics. Now that I live in a big city, I realize what a sheltered little upbringing I had. I can't imagine what "shady characters" he saw at the church festival. It is very hard for me to believe some stranger was able to abduct her without any trace!

He was possibly referring to the "Carnies" . These might be the people responsible for the Carnival Rides that were set up for the festival.

ShouldBWorking
08-19-2011, 10:26 PM
http://www.wlwt.com/news/28919291/detail.html

Lots of info here!

JeannieC
08-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Does anyone see anything wrong with this?

August 19, 2011

FAIRFIELD - Agents with the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation on Thursday removed items from the Dorshire Drive home of a missing Fairfield woman to be analyzed at their crime lab.

Fairfield Police Lt. Kevin Haddix said the state agency offered their help in solving the Sunday disappearance of Katelyn Markham even though "there is no direct evidence that there was foul play involved."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20110818/NEWS01/108190345/

August 15, 2011

Investigators sealed off Markham's Dorshire Drive condo, changed the locks, and began combing the place for new clues, like a missing coat or pair of shoes. Katelyn's father and sister carried out boxes of her belongings after they were released by police. Lt. Kevin Haddix told Local 12, "Its logical to infer that foul play is involved here. That is something the police department has considered from day one."

http://www.local12.com/news/local/story/Vigil-Planned-Tonight-For-Missing-Fairfield-Woman/Hb8WfZ0rpkuNpRRLpddC-w.cspx

SurfieTX
08-19-2011, 10:33 PM

Markham's car was parked behind her townhouse

Hmmm.....

JeannieC
08-19-2011, 10:46 PM
It has been scrubbed from the net articles IMO, along with the fact that her phone is a certain color. I've looked and looked, and I KNOW I read those two facts.

Shouldbworking posted this link with Katelyn's fiance talking about the dog being in the wrong room.

Inch High PI
08-19-2011, 10:51 PM

Lots of info here!

Thank you! Had not seen this before. One line made chills run down my spine. When he said "I'm terrified. I'm absolutely terrified" Where have we heard that before? Although I believe the word Miss Casey used was "petrified" I felt like I was hearing that all over again. He gives a LOT of details, has a lot of answers seemingly at the ready, yet at the end the reporter asks him a question and he has to stammer for the answer- almost like he wasn't expecting it.

I sure hope I'm wrong about him but he's got my hinky meter all over the place.

ETA: Also the burning of the documents. Strange to me. Bills and old class schedules? Ever heard of a shredder? I wonder what exactly he DID burn.

Inch High PI
08-19-2011, 11:11 PM
ok a couple more hinky things:

The text was a picture of a picture of HER. One ANYONE could have taken and texted to him. It was not a picture of her that was taken live from her phone. I want to know when someone else besides her fiance saw her or talked to her and knew she was okay.

He says early on in the interview (about the 56 second mark) that when he got to her house he was alarmed that he car was there because it should not have been-she should have been at work. Then later in the interview he said he got to her place around 7:00-7:30 because she was supposed to be home around 7:00-7:30. (around the 6:40 mark in the video) Which is it? Was she supposed to be home...or not??? This is alarming me very badly!!

Hoping that IF he is the one who did something to Katelyn that LE is just letting him have enough rope to hang himself in the media.

Mysti88c
08-20-2011, 01:19 AM
I just watched the interview with her fiance. He seems like he could talk all day! If one were to look at him as a suspect, I wonder what the motive would be. He's convincing that he likes her an awful lot and there has yet to be any indication that they were having any relationship issues.

sreshowtime
08-20-2011, 01:28 AM

Trust fund??? maybe?

JeannieC
08-20-2011, 01:33 AM
I just watched the interview with her fiance. He seems like he could talk all day! If one were to look at him as a suspect, I wonder what the motive would be. He's convincing that he likes her an awful lot and there has yet to be any indication that they were having any relationship issues.

He brought up moving to Colorado a couple of times and said something to the affect that if she had changed her mind and didn't want to go he would have gone along with that. Yet, he was still planning the move when she graduated. Why did he mention that at all?

I wonder if he is in school or just works for the pizza delivery. Maybe he is graduating and that is why he wants to go so bad, a job.

She might have told him she wasn't going and wanted to end the relationship because he was pressuring her about it.

cluciano63
08-20-2011, 01:42 AM
From what I read on his FB page, they seem to have a very good relationship, JMO.

sreshowtime
08-20-2011, 01:45 AM

Lots of info here!

Wow...uhhh...that was weird. Hmmm, me no like.

Did I hear that right?? Burning her personal papers at midnight, in a friends fire pit???
He uses his key and pops on in, not noticing if the door is locked?? Shouldn't he have at least given a courtesy knock before Barging in??? If he was so worried, why didn't he call her work place direct, instead of texting and texting??
this sounds odd

sreshowtime
08-20-2011, 02:12 AM
He brought up moving to Colorado a couple of times and said something to the affect that if she had changed her mind and didn't want to go he would have gone along with that. Yet, he was still planning the move when she graduated. Why did he mention that at all?

I wonder if he is in school or just works for the pizza delivery. Maybe he is graduating and that is why he wants to go so bad, a job.

She might have told him she wasn't going and wanted to end the relationship because he was pressuring her about it.

I can't quite put my finger on it, have to watch video & re read- but he seems to , ah, defer to her a lot...like what she wanted, he was okay with, that she had things fro him to do & he would take care of it...Go to Red Lobster like SHE was planning, for her Birthday..something about he would clean for her...she was busy with 2 jobs/school

WHY would she want to be there to see her papers get burned?? Which is weird to begin with.Why does he want people to know he was burning something or exposed to a fire??

how many times does he say 'to be honest'??

WHY is he wearing a band on his ring finger??? Is that normal for men to do??

I wonder too if he is already graduated?? Does he seems to be kind of a, how do I put this without it sounding wrong....techie nerd?? I was looking for a pocket protector....
I get the feeling he was more into her, than she was into him. I don't know why, just do...
Poor Katelyn Where is she???

jen&jonhart
08-20-2011, 02:20 AM
This case is odd. I guess the oddest thing to me is that his profile pic hasnt been changed yet he has added ton's of friends. jmo That along with burning papers is odd to me.

JeannieC
08-20-2011, 02:53 AM
Does anyone see anything wrong with this?

August 19, 2011

August 15, 2011

Investigators sealed off Markham's Dorshire Drive condo, changed the locks, and began combing the place for new clues, like a missing coat or pair of shoes. Katelyn's father and sister carried out boxes of her belongings after they were released by police. Lt. Kevin Haddix told Local 12, "Its logical to infer that foul play is involved here. That is something the police department has considered from day one."

http://www.local12.com/news/local/story/Vigil-Planned-Tonight-For-Missing-Fairfield-Woman/Hb8WfZ0rpkuNpRRLpddC-w.cspx

Ok since no one is talking I want a legal eagle to look at this. On 8/15 Fairfield LE sealed her apartment then allowed her father and sister to remove boxes of her belongings from the apartment.

On 8/19 The SBI came in sealed the apartment and began another search.

WHY did Fairfield LE allow anyone to go into the apartment and remove boxes of her belongings? Le has said foul play was involved.

By doing this have they contaminated evidence and possibly compromised their case if the SBI might finds something in her apartment?

Is this normal for LE to do? I don't think so.

Darcyline
08-20-2011, 03:17 AM
Why would they be removing things so soon anyway? I mean, if I disappeared my parents and boyfriend wouldn't be hauling my stuff out in less than a week.

I am going to withhold judgment on that interview, but if I was the police I know exactly where I would be looking.

ShouldBWorking
08-20-2011, 05:00 AM
Why would they be removing things so soon anyway? I mean, if I disappeared my parents and boyfriend wouldn't be hauling my stuff out in less than a week.

I am going to withhold judgment on that interview, but if I was the police I know exactly where I would be looking.
The father also lived at the apartment, he was in the process of moving in with his girlfriend so I am ASSUMING it was his belongings they were allowed to move out.

ShouldBWorking
08-20-2011, 05:03 AM
This case is odd. I guess the oddest thing to me is that his profile pic hasnt been changed yet he has added ton's of friends. jmo That along with burning papers is odd to me.

I have said that for days, also why doesn't his FB say he's "in a relationship" if you look at her's it does but his doesn't mention her.

ShouldBWorking
08-20-2011, 05:16 AM
http://www.fox19.com/story/15300630/prayer-vigil-held-for-missing-fairfield-woman

alwayslooking
08-20-2011, 07:59 AM
I wish we had someone that reads body language! The boyfriend speaks very odd, but this could be the norm for him. I do not find him believable, but I have a brother-in-law that talks just like him, even in crisis mode!
As for burning documents, we burn instead of shred, because we can in the area we live.....when you have a lot of things to get rid of it is much quicker, and when we were young we might have done it late at night, with a beer in hand! The odd part to me would be her saying she wanted to be there! Maybe control freak, she seem to make a lot of long term plans, and planned her own birthday dinner!

Patience
08-20-2011, 08:08 AM
In this video clip from Fox19, there is some footage of Katelyn's townhome. I wonder if anyone would know what the white jug is in front of the bbq and beside the garbage can? I also notice the window blind either broken or hanging down. I wonder if that has been explained yet because I can't see Kaitlyn leaving it like that. jmo.

http://www.fox19.com/story/15286971/police-zero-in-on-missing-fairfield-womans-townhome

When listening to the 911 call, did anyone notice that JC said after 24 hours then corrected himself and said before 24 hours?

He also says that a Sacred Heart festival is going on and there are alot of questionable people there, but after in the interview with Cory Stark from Fox 19, he backtracked and changed that statement to omit the questionable people part.

This case is reminding me of the Lori and Mark Hacking case for some reason. Did John have a career? Did he live with his parents? Where is his income coming from? Is he as sucessful and driven ar Katelyn? Was he promising her something amazing in Colorado? He says is was not "forcing her" to go. Forcing her? Why say that? Why was she planning to leave all her loving family and friends to move to Colorado? JC says they pushed the date from Oct to Nov? Whose idea was to put the date further? who needed more time and why?

ShouldBWorking
08-20-2011, 09:26 AM
In this video clip from Fox19, there is some footage of Katelyn's townhome. I wonder if anyone would know what the white jug is in front of the bbq and beside the garbage can? I also notice the window blind either broken or hanging down. I wonder if that has been explained yet because I can't see Kaitlyn leaving it like that. jmo.

http://www.fox19.com/story/15286971/police-zero-in-on-missing-fairfield-womans-townhome

When listening to the 911 call, did anyone notice that JC said after 24 hours then corrected himself and said before 24 hours?

He also says that a Sacred Heart festival is going on and there are alot of questionable people there, but after in the interview with Cory Stark from Fox 19, he backtracked and changed that statement to omit the questionable people part.

This case is reminding me of the Lori and Mark Hacking case for some reason. Did John have a career? Did he live with his parents? Where is his income coming from? Is he as sucessful and driven ar Katelyn? Was he promising her something amazing in Colorado? He says is was not "forcing her" to go. Forcing her? Why say that? Why was she planning to leave all her loving family and friends to move to Colorado? JC says they pushed the date from Oct to Nov? Whose idea was to put the date further? who needed more time and why?

I emailed the detective in charge of the case, I live in Fairfield and just shared that the comment about the questionable people "bothered" me. He replied this morning saying....

The remark about the "questionable people" was in reference to people associated with the Sacred Heart Festival, and not about people residing in the residential neighborhoods in the area. While the festival is no longer operating, there is no evidence to suggest that these "questionable people" posed a threat to public safety.

Did John have a career? I don't know about right now but last winter he delivered pizzas at Papa John's Pizza.
Did he live with his parents? yes
Where is his income coming from? don't know
Is he as successful and driven as Katelyn? I don't know him, but someone I go to church with knew him in High School and said he isn't very "sharp"
Was he promising her something amazing in Colorado? He says is was not "forcing her" to go. Forcing her? Why say that? Has commented about that in several interviews and I ask the same question

SurfieTX
08-20-2011, 09:31 AM
I emailed the detective in charge of the case, I live in Fairfield and just shared that the comment about the questionable people "bothered" me. He replied this morning saying....

The remark about the "questionable people" was in reference to people associated with the Sacred Heart Festival, and not about people residing in the residential neighborhoods in the area. While the festival is no longer operating, there is no evidence to suggest that these "questionable people" posed a threat to public safety.

Did John have a career? I don't know about right now but last winter he delivered pizzas at Papa John's Pizza.
Did he live with his parents? yes
Where is his income coming from? don't know
Is he as successful and driven as Katelyn? I don't know him, but someone I go to church with knew him in High School and said he isn't very "sharp"
Was he promising her something amazing in Colorado? He says is was not "forcing her" to go. Forcing her? Why say that? Has commented about that in several interviews and I ask the same question

Thank you so much for your answers. I have a few more questions. Do you know if his bio father is still alive? Reason I ask is...about getting married once he turns 25 - someone suggested perhaps he might get a trust fund?

ShouldBWorking
08-20-2011, 09:45 AM
Thank you so much for your answers. I have a few more questions. Do you know if his bio father is still alive? Reason I ask is...about getting married once he turns 25 - someone suggested perhaps he might get a trust fund?

I do not know that, I know that I hear his mom has been the one that is "front and center" in the searches etc. I would be shocked about a trust fund because he had an injury last year and told some people that he wished he could figure out a way not to go back to work once the injury was healed and I just feel like in the setting this was made he would have shared about a trust fund. I'll ask around.

ShouldBWorking
08-20-2011, 09:58 AM
http://www.journal-news.com/news/hamilton-news/vigil-conducted-for-missing-fairfield-woman-day-after-authorities-search-home-1233839.html

I want feedback about what is said in this article.

ShouldBWorking
08-20-2011, 10:01 AM
I can't find where someone asked about the picture that she sent, it was an old picture that someone from work had taken of her and sent to her and she was sending it to him for him to see so it wasn't a picture of her from that night I don't believe.

SurfieTX
08-20-2011, 10:05 AM
http://www.journal-news.com/news/hamilton-news/vigil-conducted-for-missing-fairfield-woman-day-after-authorities-search-home-1233839.html

This part?

Markham’s fiance, John Carter, asked the audience to remember that smile.
“I want people to smile like that when they think of her and not worry about her,” Carter said.

**lifts eyebrow and tilts head**

JeannieC
08-20-2011, 10:21 AM
The father also lived at the apartment, he was in the process of moving in with his girlfriend so I am ASSUMING it was his belongings they were allowed to move out.

According to the article it was KM's clothing and personal items. Even if it was her father's items I still wonder why LE allowed anyone to be in the apartment going through things...anyone's things and removing them during an ongoing investigation and before the SBI had been in to do an investigation.

I wouldn't think LE would allow this so early in the investigation. Things getting moved around, picked through, evidence destroyed. imo

I can see a defense attorney having a field day with this!

ShouldBWorking
08-20-2011, 10:38 AM
This part?

“I want people to smile like that when they think of her and not worry about her,” Carter said.

**lifts eyebrow and tilts head**

YA THINK??? I mean what kind of statement is that?

The other thing is WHY is our Police Chief saying they don't suspect foul play? Did an alien abduct her?

ShouldBWorking
08-20-2011, 10:39 AM
According to the article it was KM's clothing and personal items. Even if it was her father's items I still wonder why LE allowed anyone to be in the apartment going through things...anyone's things and removing them during an ongoing investigation and before the SBI had been in to do an investigation.

I wouldn't think LE would allow this so early in the investigation. Things getting moved around, picked through, evidence destroyed. imo

I can see a defense attorney having a field day with this!

I see what you are saying, I always just wonder if reporters get things 100% right so I guess that's why I thought of her dad's belongings because you are correct if it's her stuff they have opened a big can of worms!

JeannieC
08-20-2011, 10:47 AM
I do not know that, I know that I hear his mom has been the one that is "front and center" in the searches etc. I would be shocked about a trust fund because he had an injury last year and told some people that he wished he could figure out a way not to go back to work once the injury was healed and I just feel like in the setting this was made he would have shared about a trust fund. I'll ask around.

Maybe he is getting a settlement from the injury and that is where the money to move to Colorado is coming from.

He was working because in one interview he mentioned asking his employer if he could go check on KM. I thought he still worked for a pizza delivery.

JeannieC
08-20-2011, 10:49 AM
I can't find where someone asked about the picture that she sent, it was an old picture that someone from work had taken of her and sent to her and she was sending it to him for him to see so it wasn't a picture of her from that night I don't believe.

He mentioned the picture as one she already had and that she had done something with it, he said she was very creative.........

SurfieTX
08-20-2011, 10:50 AM

According to this article, the mother went into the townhouse at some point. I'm not real clear on the time line. Did JC and his mom go inside the townhouse and then reported her missing or vice versa? Did JC have a key?

ShouldBWorking
08-20-2011, 10:50 AM
Maybe he is getting a settlement from the injury and that is where the money to move to Colorado is coming from.

He was working because in one interview he mentioned asking his employer if he could go check on KM. I thought he still worked for a pizza delivery.

yes he delivers pizza, no settlement he fell on ice delivering a pizza

CuriousHousewife
08-20-2011, 10:56 AM
I guess if i were trying to confuse the timeline of death, I'd probably try to do that with texts and such, too.

sreshowtime
08-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Yeah JC's just smile and don't worry line is just...uh, different.

How does his mother know Katelyn's townhouse appeared “completely untouched,” Did she go in there TOO?? Or taking JC's word for it.
How many people had access to her townhouse- LE changed the locks!! Why???

I still don't understand if he was concerned why he didn't call her workplace direct to check on her- I mean she is at work, and probably can't mess with her phone constantly.

I want to know WHO saw her last, other than the boyfriend....and WHEN.

Can't they check and see where her phone was when she supposedly sent that picture to JC late that night?? I didn't think a phone actually had to be turned ON to check history?

JeannieC
08-20-2011, 10:58 AM
YA THINK??? I mean what kind of statement is that?

The other thing is WHY is our Police Chief saying they don't suspect foul play? Did an alien abduct her?

I don't understand his statement either. Really strange, smile and don't worry!

I don't understand LE's behavior either. Its as if they know something we don't...duh! If it is not foul play why did they call in the SBI? On the other hand why did they allow people"in" the apartment and allow anyone to remove boxes of her things or her Dad's things. Either one compromises the intregity of a case, imo

Until they can rule out an abduction or a crime I wouldn't expect this type of behavior by LE and if they didn't think it was foul play why did they call in SBI?

JeannieC
08-20-2011, 11:06 AM
According to this article, the mother went into the townhouse at some point. I'm not real clear on the time line. Did JC and his mom go inside the townhouse and then reported her missing or vice versa? Did JC have a key?

She didn't actually say she had gone into the apartment. She said it appeared to be untouched (probably not her exact words). She could be getting that information from her son. jmo

terracotta
08-20-2011, 11:07 AM

Yes JC had a key. He said that when he went over to check on her. He very quickly put the key in the door and didn't check to see if it was locked or unlocked and then he ran up to her bedroom. Hinky...right. Wouldn't he knock...open the door....call out her name....go through the first floor calling her and then the second floor????

SurfieTX
08-20-2011, 11:12 AM
Yes JC had a key. He said that when he went over to check on her. He very quickly put the key in the door and didn't check to see if it was locked or unlocked and then he ran up to her bedroom. Hinky...right. Wouldn't he knock...open the door....call out her name....go through the first floor calling her and then the second floor????

Thank you. Do we know what time he went to the townhouse and what time the 911 call was made?

sreshowtime
08-20-2011, 11:15 AM
It's odd they were supposedly going to take off to Colorado...and his not 'forcing' her if she didn't want to comment. I wonder if she, or he, even had a job lined up there.
They were all of a sudden going to live together, that far from 'home'?
I know people have different standards, but to have known each other for so long, and engaged for a yr now, odd they aren't already living together. And he still lives with mom.

IMHO- there is something very off about this scenario...she seems motivated...pizza delivery, eh not so much?? Is he also in school?

I KNOW what it is that is bothering me! His speech and manner of talking reminds me of this guy my daughter dated last yr. He was a real talker, on and on....He acted oh so heads over heels in love with her...yet he was very possessive and jealous...
she finally broke it off with him, and was seriously considering a restraining order, because for a good while he kept calling, emailing, etc...insisting they were still a couple

Mysti88c
08-20-2011, 11:23 AM
How many times have we seen someone burning something after someone disappears? It's a definite red flag!

So if one were to dispose of someone and then try to cover their bases, the first thing you might do is make a fake text message conversation. He has to explain the burning... so we have "wish I could be there to see you burn that stuff I asked you to burn". Then, a picture of that person alive would be even better! So, he finds one on her phone and sends it to himself. He probably then realizes that someone else took that picture.

It all seems very weird and convenient for him!

sreshowtime
08-20-2011, 11:27 AM
Yeah when I was 22 I was burning my bills & class schedules, etc., or better yet giving them to my boyfriend to do, and lamenting the fact I couldn't be there too <eye roll>
I call BS....
okay maybe JC isn't responsible but something is hinky

JeannieC
08-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Yeah JC's just smile and don't worry line is just...uh, different.

How does his mother know Katelyn's townhouse appeared “completely untouched,” Did she go in there TOO?? Or taking JC's word for it.
How many people had access to her townhouse- LE changed the locks!! Why???

I still don't understand if he was concerned why he didn't call her workplace direct to check on her- I mean she is at work, and probably can't mess with her phone constantly.

I want to know WHO saw her last, other than the boyfriend....and WHEN.

Can't they check and see where her phone was when she supposedly sent that picture to JC late that night?? I didn't think a phone actually had to be turned ON to check history?

I believe she was basing her assumption on what her son had told her. JMO

Like you, I don't understand why he didn't call her work and ask. Most people would unless he didn't want to get her in trouble. Since we don't know is she was allowed to get calls at work we only make guesses about his reasoning.

I believe they can check her history and know when and where each came from...location of the tower. It doesn't have to be turned on for that but LE needs to get a search warrant (or something) before they can obtain these records which I bet they have done.

Patience
08-20-2011, 11:39 AM

Well, this strickes me as odd and scarey.

JeannieC
08-20-2011, 11:43 AM

The blinds might have been destroyed by the dog. Some dogs do that when they are left at home alone.

That white jug looks like it has a dog on the front of it. Might be carpet cleaner used for doggie clean up and odor.

SurfieTX
08-20-2011, 11:45 AM
It's odd they were supposedly going to take off to Colorado...and his not 'forcing' her if she didn't want to comment. I wonder if she, or he, even had a job lined up there.
They were all of a sudden going to live together, that far from 'home'?
I know people have different standards, but to have known each other for so long, and engaged for a yr now, odd they aren't already living together. And he still lives with mom.

IMHO- there is something very off about this scenario...she seems motivated...pizza delivery, eh not so much?? Is he also in school?

I KNOW what it is that is bothering me! His speech and manner of talking reminds me of this guy my daughter dated last yr. He was a real talker, on and on....He acted oh so heads over heels in love with her...yet he was very possessive and jealous...
she finally broke it off with him, and was seriously considering a restraining order, because for a good while he kept calling, emailing, etc...insisting they were still a couple

It seems like the move to Colorado was his idea. Perhaps his bio dad/family live in Colorado? With the economy like it is, he might have had a better chance at getting a job there (just noodlin') depending on his skill set (or degree?).

I find it strange they didn't live together either, but perhaps her dad didn't like the idea of them living together, but then that begs the question as to why he didn't stay with her that night - Dad was gone and she was there alone.

JeannieC
08-20-2011, 11:48 AM

That was at a prayer vigil. It would seem strange if it had been said anywhere else but not strange (imo) considering it was at a church service. Listen to what her friends had to say. No difference in thought to me.

JeannieC
08-20-2011, 11:51 AM
It seems like the move to Colorado was his idea. Perhaps his bio dad/family live in Colorado? With the economy like it is, he might have had a better chance at getting a job there (just noodlin') depending on his skill set (or degree?).

I find it strange they didn't live together either, but perhaps her dad didn't like the idea of them living together, but then that begs the question as to why he didn't stay with her that night - Dad was gone and she was there alone.

He was working that night and probably got off late and she had to work the next day. Maybe she wanted her sleep. AND maybe they don't sleep together. Most do but some don't.

Patience
08-20-2011, 11:55 AM
What time did JC leave Kaitlyn's townhome exactly? After midnight?

What time was the gps turned off?

Is that the window of time we are looking at that something happened?

Patience
08-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Police and family say they have no idea what could have happened to her. Her fiance, John Carter, said he last saw Markham around 11 or 11:30 Saturday night at her townhouse.

That was the last time anyone has heard from her.

Her small mixed-breed dog, Murphy, was found locked in her bedroom. Carter said it was obvious the dog “had been there awhile.”

Markham’s purse, keys and car were all there. The only things missing were Markham and her cellphone, which Carter’s mother, Karyn Winkler, said was turned off around 12:45 a.m. Sunday. The GPS tracking device on the phone also had been turned off.

Snipped from: http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/last-message-from-missing-local-woman-was-photo-sent-by-text-1231535.html (lots more info & photo at link)

Just quoting above post to answer my questions. :crazy:

chasing.halos
08-20-2011, 12:12 PM
How many times have we seen someone burning something after someone disappears? It's a definite red flag!

So if one were to dispose of someone and then try to cover their bases, the first thing you might do is make a fake text message conversation. He has to explain the burning... so we have "wish I could be there to see you burn that stuff I asked you to burn". Then, a picture of that person alive would be even better! So, he finds one on her phone and sends it to himself. He probably then realizes that someone else took that picture.

It all seems very weird and convenient for him!

Yes yes yes! My friends, this is really hinky. Why would she send him an old picture of herself after midnight, after he left her townhouse? And the first reports said he last saw her at 10 pm I thought. Now it is 11 or 11:30?
Something is really off about all this.
Poor Katelyn. IMHO I think something terrible has happened to her at the hands of someone she knew :( I really hope I am wrong.

SurfieTX
08-20-2011, 12:13 PM
~~ Her fiance, John Carter, said he last saw Markham around 11 or 11:30 Saturday night at her townhouse. He says they were discussing a possible move to Colorado.

~~ At 12:52 a.m. Sunday, he received a picture of Markham on his cellphone, sent via text message from her phone.

~~ Markham’s purse, keys and car were all there. The only things missing were Markham and her cellphone, which Carter’s mother, Karyn Winkler, said was turned off around 12:45 a.m. Sunday. The GPS tracking device on the phone also had been turned off.

~~ The next morning, Carter said he sent his fiance a “good morning” text message. When she didn’t respond, he assumed she was running late for her shift at David’s Bridal in the Tri-County Mall. (NOTE: David's Bridal opens at NOON on Sunday)

~~ Markham's fiancee, John Carter, called police on Sunday, Aug. 14 to report her missing. "I know you're not suppose to report a missing person before 24 hours, but my fiancee is missing and I can't find her anywhere," he said in the call.

http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/last-message-from-missing-local-woman-was-photo-sent-by-text-1231535.html

http://www.fox19.com/story/15295662/police-release-911-call-reporting-katelyn-markhams-disappearance?redirected=true

SurfieTX
08-20-2011, 12:17 PM
When/where/what time was the paper burning incident?

J1981
08-20-2011, 12:21 PM
~~ Markham's fiancee, John Carter, called police on Sunday, Aug. 14 to report her missing. "I know you're not suppose to report a missing person before 24 hours, but my fiancee is missing and I can't find her anywhere," he said in the call.

Respectfully snipped by me.

Sounds like someone's been reading up on when you are "supposed" to report a missing person.

JeannieC
08-20-2011, 12:25 PM
He was working that night and probably got off late and she had to work the next day. Maybe she wanted her sleep. AND maybe they don't sleep together. Most do but some don't.

CORRECTION....He was not working that night (Saturday). They had gone out. She had to work the next day and so did he. Maybe she wanted her sleep or maybe they argued and he went home. Maybe they didn't sleep together. We don't know.

cluciano63
08-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Are any searches taking place??

SurfieTX
08-20-2011, 12:33 PM

No. LE called off the searches after the first 3-4 days. I think friends and family are still searching on their own though.

SurfieTX
08-20-2011, 12:38 PM
How would JC and/or his mother know exactly what time the phone was turned off and that the GPS was turned off? It's possible Katelyn and JC shared a phone plan. Can you access that type of information about your phones, does anyone know?

Mysti88c
08-20-2011, 12:47 PM

I have a friend who lives in that neighborhood. She says the first few days had intense searching with helicopters and search parties, so they have probably checked the immediate area pretty thoroughly. Now, they need a tip to lead them in another direction. Just like any midwestern town, there are miles and miles of farmland, wooded areas, rivers and lakes and just plain over-grown bush.

Inch High PI
08-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Here's another odd statement. Granted the reporter is quoting him and we don't see him saying it directly, so it could be a misquote, however given the other odd statements we've heard...

"JC says he can hardly look at the missing posters around town because all he sees is her happy smile."

Uh...what? What the heck does that mean? Especially given that he asked everyone to remember her happy smile.

Also, he shakes his head "no" a lot while he's talking. Have heard body language experts in the past refer to this as a signal of lying.

Video here: http://www.local12.com/news/local/story/Vigil-Held-For-Missing-Fairfield-Woman/Hb8WfZ0rpkuNpRRLpddC-w.cspx

(One thing Local12 does that drives me crazy is they keep replacing exisiting video with updated, so no way to go back and watch the old stuff again. ARGH!)

I'd LOVE to be able to talk to her best girlfriend and find out what she thinks of all of this.

Mysti88c
08-20-2011, 01:08 PM
There is a lake, Marsh Lake, very close to her townhouse that used to be a gravel pit. It was very deep when it was an active gravel company. I wonder if they have checked there.

Inch High PI
08-20-2011, 01:10 PM

BBM In the pic of her sitting at a bar in a black dress she appears to be holding a phone and it is either red or pink. You can't see a lot of it though so I'm not able to determine what kind of phone. I did notice a post on her FB page that her friends created that they are asking others to look through their pictures of her for a clear pic of her phone (a blackberry) so they can have the media put it out there in case someone finds it.

Pic I am referring to is currently on this page:

cluciano63
08-20-2011, 01:15 PM
I can't see a burglar/stranger taking her, and her phone. And apparently nothing else. It seems that whoever took her (if she was taken) had some connection to her may have wanted to delete things from her phone, and/or turn it off so it could not be located.

JeannieC
08-20-2011, 01:24 PM
I can't see a burglar/stranger taking her, and her phone. And apparently nothing else. It seems that whoever took her (if she was taken) had some connection to her may have wanted to delete things from her phone, and/or turn it off so it could not be located.

THAT MAKES SENSE! :twocents:

Inch High PI
08-20-2011, 01:42 PM
Respectfully snipped by me.

Sounds like someone's been reading up on when you are "supposed" to report a missing person.

THIS! Another odd statement from him, at least to me. Why even say that? Did he think they were going to tell him to call back in 4 hours??

I need to start compiling everything that's making my hair stand on end about this case. It's getting to be a lot.

Idon'tneedthesame
08-20-2011, 02:44 PM
Some interesting comments on Fox19's Facebook wall. It seems like some of their friends
don't like the fact that people are saying the fiancées story is off.

I'm tending to agree. It's just not adding up for me. jmo of course.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/FOX19Cincinnati?sk=wall

Betta Blue
08-20-2011, 02:52 PM
http://www.wlwt.com/news/28919291/detail.html I'm no expert, but the fiance has some very interesting body language in this lengthy interview.

1. Lots of self grooming (calming self, deception, helping him think over a difficult question) especially when he's asked a question that he might not have a ready answer for.

2. Looking down and to the left (deception)

3. Touching nose (classic sign of deception)

4. Adding many extraneous details

5. Seemingly rehearsed answers that he has thought through thoroughly, but stumbling and rambling through other questions

6. Nervous laughter

7. Speaking in past tense of Katelyn

8. Emphasizing how much of a "choice" Katelyn supposedly had in everything going on in their relationship (perhaps it's easiest for him to tell the exact opposite mirror truth about everything)

Anyone care to expound/add more?

This is just my opinion.

~SuperSleuth~
08-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Only thing I've really noticed is that he seems a little too composed and unemotional
given that he's most likely just lost someone he's been seeing for 6+ years.
And given all the apparently affectionate "sweet/cute" exchanges between the two,
I would just expect him to be more emotional about it.
Then again, I knew a couple that we're all touchy-feely, "I luuvvv you" around other people
and they fought constantly at home. 4 kids later, they're divorced - and everyone seemed to see it coming :twocents:

i.e. a lot of disingenuous role playing

wishuwerehere
08-20-2011, 03:31 PM

"Not worry about her." WHAT?!! She's missing for God's sake.

SurfieTX
08-20-2011, 03:35 PM
http://www.wlwt.com/news/28919291/detail.html I'm no expert, but the fiance has some very interesting body language in this lengthy interview.

1. Lots of self grooming (calming self, deception, helping him think over a difficult question) especially when he's asked a question that he might not have a ready answer for.

2. Looking down and to the left (deception)

3. Touching nose (classic sign of deception)

4. Adding many extraneous details

5. Seemingly rehearsed answers that he has thought through thoroughly, but stumbling and rambling through other questions

6. Nervous laughter

7. Speaking in past tense of Katelyn

8. Emphasizing how much of a "choice" Katelyn supposedly had in everything going on in their relationship (perhaps it's easiest for him to tell the exact opposite mirror truth about everything)

Anyone care to expound/add more?

This is just my opinion.

The quote about "she's too pragmatic (to leave - when he was asked about her disappearance)" is kind of stuck in my craw.

Apparently, they were talking about moving to Colorado that Saturday night. I kind of get the feeling that he wanted to move, but she wasn't quite on board with that yet. Resentment is what I feel.

MOO and all other disclaimers...

terracotta
08-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Some interesting comments on Fox19's Facebook wall. It seems like some of their friends
don't like the fact that people are saying the fiancées story is off.

I'm tending to agree. It's just not adding up for me. jmo of course.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/FOX19Cincinnati?sk=wall

There is a post that is saying that JC has been cleared and the family knows that information.....

Who knows whether to believe it or not.

Darcyline
08-20-2011, 04:17 PM
The family seems to trust him fully. I will take their guidance for now and try to look outside of the fiance even though that entire interview gave me chills.

cluciano63
08-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Ok may he HAS been cleared, who knows...
But the "don't worry about her" business is just plain WEIRD. Unless he knows she was intending to take off.

onlycurious
08-20-2011, 06:23 PM
Where was it said that JC has been cleared? Someone posted a couple of days ago that on a FB blog it was stated that JC passed a lie detector test -- but I never saw anything in the media that he had been cleared or passed a lie detector test. Does anyone have a reference to either of these in the media?

Redgoblin
08-20-2011, 06:27 PM
I get the impression that the two of them may be slightly on the simple side, (no offence to them) - I could be totally wrong, but would explain why his reactions could be off, I remember a few pages back it was mention he may have been so?

Verging on the autistic perhaps?

onlycurious
08-20-2011, 08:17 PM
I think a reporter should ask JC what JC thinks should be the punishment for whomever abducted Katelyn. Also, what sentence would he find just should the worst care scenario have occurred, in other words, murder.

Patience
08-20-2011, 11:58 PM
This is a link to her missing person poster.
http://issuu.com/immanurse/docs/katelyn_markham_flyer_final (http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fissuu.com%2Fimmanurse%2Fdocs% 2Fkatelyn_markham_flyer_final&h=IAQCJ4a3g)

cluciano63
08-21-2011, 12:25 AM
She has been missing a full week now...far too long for something not to have happened to her, in my opinion...

SurfieTX
08-21-2011, 09:14 AM
“My instinct tells me she is close,” Carter said. “I feel like if I knew where she was, I would bust in the door and beat whoever took her and get her back. But I don’t know where she is.”

http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/woman-still-missing-after-week-long-search--1235106.html

**ICA, anyone?**

ShouldBWorking
08-21-2011, 09:33 AM
In the article SufieTX posted above where Chief Dickey says something like "no foul play in her apartment" I now wonder if that is what he has been saying and being misquoted in the news? I feel much better that he said "no foul play in her apartment" makes me believe they think something happened to her outside of the apartment. I mean reality is something could have happened to her ANYWHERE and someone could have brought her purse, keys etc. back to the apartment put them where she would normally put them, mess up the bed like someone slept in it and walked out the door and locked it. IMO

Inch High PI
08-21-2011, 10:17 AM
“My instinct tells me she is close,” Carter said. “I feel like if I knew where she was, I would bust in the door and beat whoever took her and get her back. But I don’t know where she is.”

http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/woman-still-missing-after-week-long-search--1235106.html

**ICA, anyone?**

Ugh- there are SO many statements he's made that remind me of ICA.

And I see he's now talking about her in the past tense...not good. Not good at all.

“Her paintings were colorful, her makeup was colorful, her clothes were colorful. It wasn’t tacky. Especially when she dressed up, she just looked beautiful.”

Poor Katelyn :( What a promising life. A driven girl, goals, seemingly liked by everyone she met.

~n/t~
08-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Did they release the photo Katelyn sent to her fiancé? I wonder if there are any clues by looking at the photo. Was she smiling, sad, upset? The background in the photo? Was it taken at the house, outside, somewhere she may have been.

The article said they were together on Saturday night until 11:30 pm. Where were they? Her house? Did she decide to go out with friends after she and her fiancé went their separate ways after 11:30 pm?

Jo in Calif
08-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Did they release the photo Katelyn sent to her fiancé? I wonder if there are any clues by looking at the photo. Was she smiling, sad, upset? The background in the photo? Was it taken at the house, outside, somewhere she may have been.

The article said they were together on Saturday night until 11:30 pm. Where were they? Her house? Did she decide to go out with friends after she and her fiancé went their separate ways after 11:30 pm?

It was supposedly a photo of a photo, not a picture she took of herself. She could have possibly been deceased at the time the photo was taken and sent.

~n/t~
08-21-2011, 10:39 AM
It was supposedly a photo of a photo, not a picture she took of herself. She could have possibly been deceased at the time the photo was taken and sent.

Oh wow. Very strange. Thanks.

sreshowtime
08-21-2011, 11:34 AM
I wonder where the photo is now that was supposedly photographed and sent to JC.
JC sure likes to talk
In the article Surfie posted above-JC says she was a homebody, but did go to concerts. .......snipped-"according to the Police Chief Mike Dickey said as investigators go through her cell phone records, it’s apparent Markham “has a very large circle of friends.” "
You don't get that by sitting at home being a homebody, do you? Surely she wasn't getting the phone #s of 'strangers' /customers through her job..hmmm.

Surely someone didn't come to her home late at night under the guise of wanting artwork done ( her addy is on her site) ??

Wonder what her friends say about that homebody remark.

Still haven't seen anything in regards to the last person(s) to see her besides JC.

Inch High PI
08-21-2011, 12:13 PM
The thing that continues to nag at me is his conflicting information. At one point he says he arrived at her condo between 7-730 Sunday and was alarmed to see her car there because she should have been at work.

Later he said he arrived at her condo between 7-7:30 because that was the time she would have been coming home from work.

Which is it, because you can't have both!! RED FLAG. HUGE. RED. FLAG.

And if he was going there then because she was supposed to be getting home from work, how "worried" was he? Not so worried that he didn't go to David's Bridal first, right?

He wasn't worried, because he KNOWS where she is.

IMO, MOO and all that jazz.

sreshowtime
08-21-2011, 01:59 PM
Inch high- supposedly her place was on the way to David's Bridal...if so worried why not call the store- all he had to ask is, is Miss Markham working today??

I just thought- I wonder if they checked the dumpsters for the place she lived, and any surrounding ones, before they started being emptied the first of the following week :(

With the festival- might have be a good bit around

JustPeachy
08-21-2011, 02:33 PM
When Katelyn didn't show up for work, did anybody from David's call to check on her? Surely they have a number for her parents or JC to call in case of emergency. I've read somewhere that she is a dependable employee. If that is the case and she didn't call in sick wouldn't you be concerned? When I worked, I had a young woman working for me that was not the most responsible person, and one day she didn't show up for work and I couldn't reach her. I called her mother to check on her. She was goofing off. Fired her!

cluciano63
08-21-2011, 02:34 PM
I thought I read that the store did not open until noon on Sunday-what time did he go to check on her?

Amity
08-21-2011, 02:35 PM

**ICA, anyone?**

I must've missed the release date for the book;
How-To-Talk-And-Act-When-You've-Made-Your-Loved-One-Go-Missing For Dummies

OMG, could his comments get any creepier as to the way they are almost mirroring Caseys? ! ? !

JustPeachy
08-21-2011, 02:38 PM
I must've missed the release date for the book;
How-To-Talk-And-Act-When-You've-Made-Your-Loved-One-Go-Missing For Dummies

OMG, could his comments get any creepier as to the way they are almost mirroring Caseys? ! ? !

Wonder if he followed that case?

marycarney
08-21-2011, 02:50 PM
That was like watching Josh Powell/ Scott Peterson / pick a suspect.

Hope her poor family gets some pertinent information soon. So sad..........

SurfieTX
08-21-2011, 05:17 PM
The thing that continues to nag at me is his conflicting information. At one point he says he arrived at her condo between 7-730 Sunday and was alarmed to see her car there because she should have been at work.

Later he said he arrived at her condo between 7-7:30 because that was the time she would have been coming home from work.

Which is it, because you can't have both!! RED FLAG. HUGE. RED. FLAG.

And if he was going there then because she was supposed to be getting home from work, how "worried" was he? Not so worried that he didn't go to David's Bridal first, right?

He wasn't worried, because he KNOWS where she is.

IMO, MOO and all that jazz.

David's Bridal closed at 6:00 on Sunday's. She was supposed to report to work at the Art Institute at some point as well. She failed to show up at either job. (I'll hunt down the link, but that's what I remember)

And to play the devil's advocate, according to a local here, his mom lived about 3 minutes away, walking distance. It might have been quicker to run over there first for a look-see rather than wait on the phone.

Here's the statement and link:

She didn't show up for work on Sunday at either of her two jobs-at the Art Institute of Ohio or David's Bridal. That's when family members began to worry and called police.

http://www.local12.com/News/Local/story/Vigil-Held-For-Missing-Fairfield-Woman/Hb8WfZ0rpkuNpRRLpddC-w.cspx#.TkxImqS3_Ik.twitter

Inch High PI
08-21-2011, 06:30 PM
David's Bridal closed at 6:00 on Sunday's. She was supposed to report to work at the Art Institute at some point as well. She failed to show up at either job. (I'll hunt down the link, but that's what I remember)

And to play the devil's advocate, according to a local here, his mom lived about 3 minutes away, walking distance. It might have been quicker to run over there first for a look-see rather than wait on the phone.

Here's the statement and link:

She didn't show up for work on Sunday at either of her two jobs-at the Art Institute of Ohio or David's Bridal. That's when family members began to worry and called police.

http://www.local12.com/News/Local/story/Vigil-Held-For-Missing-Fairfield-Woman/Hb8WfZ0rpkuNpRRLpddC-w.cspx#.TkxImqS3_Ik.twitter

I get all that but I think you're missing my point. His first statement was he was concerned that her car was there because she should have been at work. His second statement was he went to her condo at that time because that's when she was supposed to get home from work. Well, if that's when she was supposed to get home....why was he concerned that her car was there? He completely contradicted himself.

See video at the bottom of this article.

ShouldBWorking
08-21-2011, 07:08 PM
His house is very close to her apartment, same neighborhood. It would for sure be closer to go by her house then to David's Bridal.

Here is what concerns me-

1. The police have made no comments or references to the fact that public safety is an issue. Even in the personal email sent to me by the lead detective he made it clear no reason to be worried about public safety.

2. There has been NO REPORTS of a lie detector test for anyone.

3. I heard that there was tension between him and the dad, but at the vigil it didn't look that way at all.

4. I would love to know who saw her besides him that day and what time that was.

5. Why does he continue to talk about her in the past tense?

JeannieC
08-21-2011, 07:19 PM
I wonder where the photo is now that was supposedly photographed and sent to JC.
JC sure likes to talk
In the article Surfie posted above-JC says she was a homebody, but did go to concerts. .......snipped-"according to the Police Chief Mike Dickey said as investigators go through her cell phone records, it’s apparent Markham “has a very large circle of friends.” "
You don't get that by sitting at home being a homebody, do you? Surely she wasn't getting the phone #s of 'strangers' /customers through her job..h

Surely someone didn't come to her home late at night under the guise of wanting artwork done ( her addy is on her site) ??

Wonder what her friends say about that homebody remark.

Still haven't seen anything in regards to the last person(s) to see her besides JC.

Nothing I've read about her personality makes me think "homebody". She might have stayed home more right now because she was tired and needed some time to relax or because she was trying to save money for the move.

Doesn't sound like he made a lot of money on his job. Maybe she knew he couldn't afford to take her out.

I wish they would interview other family members.........her's and some of her friends.

As we know a lot of perps interject themselves into the cases. Not saying he is guilty but why do they keep going to him and not her family?

ShouldBWorking
08-21-2011, 07:22 PM
Nothing I've read about her personality makes me think "homebody". She might have stayed home more right now because she was tired and needed some time to relax or because she was trying to save money for the move.

Doesn't sound like he made a lot of money on his job. Maybe she knew he couldn't afford to take her out.

I wish they would interview other family members.........her's and some of her friends.

As we know a lot of perps interject themselves into the cases. Not saying he is guilty but why do they keep going to him and not her family?

I don't understand why HER family isn't keep the story going. I have not seen HER mother one time! Some things just seem odd to me.

JeannieC
08-21-2011, 07:23 PM
I thought I read that the store did not open until noon on Sunday-what time did he go to check on her?

7 or 7:30

terracotta
08-21-2011, 07:28 PM
I get all that but I think you're missing my point. His first statement was he was concerned that her car was there because she should have been at work. His second statement was he went to her condo at that time because that's when she was supposed to get home from work. Well, if that's when she was supposed to get home....why was he concerned that her car was there? He completely contradicted himself.

See video at the bottom of this article.

That has bothered me as well. At first "his heart dropped" because he saw her car there at her home when she should have been at work. And then the next time he references it...she would have been home from work at 7-730 when he went by.

Unfortunately there are quite a few things that make us go hmmmm

1)going to her home and seeing her car when she should be gone...then she should have been home by then.

2) Past tense...lots of it.

3) Talking about being "terrified" with no emotion.

4) Him explaining that he got the picture at 12:52 but that it could have been sent much earlier because it takes so long to upload. What? Why an explanation of time?

5) Burning "legal documents in the middle of the night". She texted that she wanted to be there to see it. Why? Who burns class schedules?

6)Does he usually stay with her when they go out at night? They have been together 6 yrs. just asking?

7)Intuition tells him she is close.....

8)Why not call her work if you are texting her over and over again? Simple call to work to see if she is there.

9) She wasn't being forced to move to Colorado. Forced....odd language. She wasn't being forced to marry him, move etc. Odd

10) Again...past tense referrals....lots of them

11) Hats were off of bedpost where she kept them and pencil holder was tipped over. He explained those things as being the only signs of things disrupted in her room. Why explain it away as the dog? odd

12)Why would he be in such a panic. Put his key in the door and go directly up to her room? odd

13) Keep her smile in your mind and don't worry about her. odd statement

14)Kept saying "to be honest" when asked about a few things like burning the documents and a couple other things. hmmm

Anyone care to add the things that I have missed?

11)

ShouldBWorking
08-21-2011, 07:30 PM
7 or 7:30

Had started texting her in the a.m., my daughter said she looked at his older post on FB and that he actually had posted on his wall that day he wished she would answer her phone. My daughter said after looking back at his FB the post from that day did not seem "typical". I am going to look later but thought some of you might look would love to know what others think. I notice he has QUIT posting.

cluciano63
08-21-2011, 07:47 PM
He did not have any posts on his page from July 26 until August 15th. While he did not post every day I do not see any other period of inactivity for this long, for whatever it is worth...

shefner
08-21-2011, 07:51 PM
If my husband went missing, I don't think I could bring myself to burn anything that belonged to him. If Katelyn had been looking forward to getting rid of things, then I would think her loved ones would want to wait till she came back home so they could do it together.

Can we think of any other missing persons case where a bf or gf burned items belonging to the missing person? I can't...very strange.

cluciano63
08-21-2011, 07:53 PM
What was it he burned and what reason did he give?

ShouldBWorking
08-21-2011, 08:01 PM
If my husband went missing, I don't think I could bring myself to burn anything that belonged to him. If Katelyn had been looking forward to getting rid of things, then I would think her loved ones would want to wait till she came back home so they could do it together.

Can we think of any other missing persons case where a bf or gf burned items belonging to the missing person? I can't...very strange.

He says he left her house that night to go and burn personal papers, financial records, school schedule etc. at her request at his friends house. She wasn't missing yet, but he went on to say she texted him and said she wished she could be there...well if she didn't work until noon on Sunday why didn't she go with him?

terracotta
08-21-2011, 08:11 PM
He says he left her house that night to go and burn personal papers, financial records, school schedule etc. at her request at his friends house. She wasn't missing yet, but he went on to say she texted him and said she wished she could be there...well if she didn't work until noon on Sunday why didn't she go with him?

Exactly what I thought. They both could have gone over to his friend's firepit and burn her papers etc.

Question. Has anyone come up with the last time any other person saw KM other than PC?

Where did they go on Saturday night? Did they stay at home? Did she work on Saturday?

What about the dad? Some articles say that he lived with KM and was moving his things to his girlfriends house. His quote at the vigil said he went over to KM's house. He wouldn't refer to it as hers if he was living there.

Does her mother live in Fairfield? Has she given any interviews?

KM by all accounts seems like a very nice person, very motivated and hard working........what a good person.

Mysti88c
08-21-2011, 08:15 PM
It seems like a very very odd coincidence that she asked him to burn stuff the VERY night she disappears.

~n/t~
08-21-2011, 08:29 PM

I thought the last text was a photo of herself. :waitasec:

The burning papers is very suspicious, imo. Why would she ask him to do that?

cluciano63
08-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Is there anyone to back up the story about her wanting her papers burned? I have never heard of anything quite so bizarre...

ShouldBWorking
08-21-2011, 08:47 PM
Is there anyone to back up the story about her wanting her papers burned? I have never heard of anything quite so bizarre...

VERY little is being reported so I don't know.

The last text was the pic, but she supposedly sent a text prior for him to have fun and how sorry she was she couldn't be there.

Darcyline
08-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Burning papers is a common way to get rid of important documents with personal information, but it does seem like a HUGE coincidence with timing and I have always personally been there when I have burned my documents. He said it was "class schedules" and stuff-if we are making the assumption that the burned papers are important than what else could have been in the burned papers to make them so important that he had to burn them immediately?

terracotta
08-21-2011, 08:57 PM
The 911 call was at 5:58pm on Sunday. So he texted her all day and she didn't answer....AND he said he went over to her place at 7 -730 when she was suppose to get home from work. So he waited all day to check on her? Could have just called David's Bridal to check. odd.

SuziQ
08-21-2011, 09:07 PM

Ok, that's odd.

katydid23
08-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Katelyn Markham's fiancé, John Carter, said he was the last person to see Markham and has been doing all that he can to help police in their search.
"I really did not want this to get this far. I really wish she would have been home by now. I wish this was a party for her being home instead of what it is," Carter said.

Read more: http://www.wlwt.com/news/28919291/detail.html#ixzz1ViL5EcyO

I think those two statements that I bolded should be taken literally.

katydid23
08-21-2011, 09:18 PM
That has bothered me as well. At first "his heart dropped" because he saw her car there at her home when she should have been at work. And then the next time he references it...she would have been home from work at 7-730 when he went by.

Unfortunately there are quite a few things that make us go hmmmm

1)going to her home and seeing her car when she should be gone...then she should have been home by then.

2) Past tense...lots of it.

3) Talking about being "terrified" with no emotion.

4) Him explaining that he got the picture at 12:52 but that it could have been sent much earlier because it takes so long to upload. What? Why an explanation of time?

5) Burning "legal documents in the middle of the night". She texted that she wanted to be there to see it. Why? Who burns class schedules?

6)Does he usually stay with her when they go out at night? They have been together 6 yrs. just asking?

7)Intuition tells him she is close.....

8)Why not call her work if you are texting her over and over again? Simple call to work to see if she is there.

9) She wasn't being forced to move to Colorado. Forced....odd language. She wasn't being forced to marry him, move etc. Odd

10) Again...past tense referrals....lots of them

11) Hats were off of bedpost where she kept them and pencil holder was tipped over. He explained those things as being the only signs of things disrupted in her room. Why explain it away as the dog? odd

12)Why would he be in such a panic. Put his key in the door and go directly up to her room? odd

13) Keep her smile in your mind and don't worry about her. odd statement

14)Kept saying "to be honest" when asked about a few things like burning the documents and a couple other things. hmmm

Anyone care to add the things that I have missed?

15] John Carter, said he was the last person to see Markham

16]"I really did not want this to get this far." Carter said.

cluciano63
08-21-2011, 09:19 PM
She had to have her papers burned on Saturday night but she couldn't be there with him to burn them? I am seriously lost here...what papers, did anyone else see them burned or know that she wanted papers burned?

And why did he mention the papers, anyway? Is he trying to make it sound as though she had something shady to hide, some reason to run?

terracotta
08-21-2011, 09:26 PM
In reading some of the comments on different news articles it has been mentioned a few times that JC's friends are into satanic worship. Anyone else see things that would support that? Maybe would tie into burning the papers that night at his friend's firepit. I would assume the police have already checked the pit. Although would they need a search warrant for that?

Darcyline
08-21-2011, 09:27 PM
I think he mentioned burning the papers because he knew it would look suspicious and thought the best policy would be to guide how people view that from the beginning rather than have the information emerge from the police weeks later or something.

SurfieTX
08-21-2011, 09:42 PM
The 911 call was at 5:58pm on Sunday. So he texted her all day and she didn't answer....AND he said he went over to her place at 7 -730 when she was suppose to get home from work. So he waited all day to check on her? Could have just called David's Bridal to check. odd.

David's Bridal closed at 6:00. 12 to 6 are the hours, but I'm not sure about the hours for the Art Institute.

**hinky meter set on high**

cluciano63
08-21-2011, 10:06 PM
Police have not indicated foul play, as yet, I gather?
Can't a phone company track a phone even if it off, some way? Can't they "ping" it? I always forget whatever it is I learn about tracking phones from one case to the next...

ShouldBWorking
08-21-2011, 10:06 PM
In reading some of the comments on different news articles it has been mentioned a few times that JC's friends are into satanic worship. Anyone else see things that would support that? Maybe would tie into burning the papers that night at his friend's firepit. I would assume the police have already checked the pit. Although would they need a search warrant for that?

do you have links to these articles? I am here local and the only thing I am seeing is his friends have closed ranks so tight they are saying nothing but what a great guy he is, how positive they are he didn't do it, how happy they were, I would love to see the source of these articles

ShouldBWorking
08-21-2011, 10:07 PM
Police have not indicated foul play, as yet, I gather?
Can't a phone company track a phone even if it off, some way? Can't they "ping" it? I always forget whatever it is I learn about tracking phones from one case to the next...

The chief has said no evidence of foul play in her apartment BUT the lead detective has said foul play is suspected...so confusing

Darcyline
08-21-2011, 10:19 PM
I have a feeling the police have some of the same feelings that we do, but without any evidence what do you do?

mamaks5
08-21-2011, 10:19 PM
I'm puzzled why he would burn anything or why anyone let him burn anything when the woman is missing - especially this early in an investigation. That is not typical behavior.
If I became missing I hope no one would burn anything (regardless of what I said before I was missing) in hopes something could become a clue.

DianaElaine
08-21-2011, 10:25 PM

Just a note here: I've burned old bills or documents that were no longer needed, that had my personal information on them, thinking it would be better than shredding.

cluciano63
08-21-2011, 10:26 PM
Just a note here: I've burned old bills or documents that were no longer needed, that had my personal information on them, thinking it would be better than shredding.

But did you ask someone to take them away and burn them for you? Which seems to be the case here, unless I am mistaken...and then were you never seen again :(

ShouldBWorking
08-21-2011, 10:27 PM
This news report says they do suspect foul play, others say they don't. So tired of the games, not sure if the PD is talking out of both sides of their mouths or if the media just isn't getting it right.

DianaElaine
08-21-2011, 10:27 PM
Burning papers is a common way to get rid of important documents with personal information, but it does seem like a HUGE coincidence with timing and I have always personally been there when I have burned my documents. He said it was "class schedules" and stuff-if we are making the assumption that the burned papers are important than what else could have been in the burned papers to make them so important that he had to burn them immediately?

Another quick note: I've had my husband (we were separated at the time) burn papers at his home, since he lived in the country and had a fire pit, and I wasn't there.

ShouldBWorking
08-21-2011, 10:28 PM
I see 17 guests on here tonight, I haven't noticed that many in the past.

cluciano63
08-21-2011, 10:30 PM
Now if the boyfriend comes out with "she ran off with another man"...I swear I will lose it...

ShouldBWorking
08-21-2011, 10:32 PM
I have a feeling the police have some of the same feelings that we do, but without any evidence what do you do?

I don't totally buy this suggestion and that might be because living a few miles away I would be sleeping a lot better if they would tell us SOMETHING. My point being have they asked JC to take a lie detector, has he, did he pass. Who saw her other then JC on Saturday? I have a dozen other questions but my biggest question is IF the police do suspect foul play what is the theory?

ShouldBWorking
08-21-2011, 10:32 PM
Now if the boyfriend comes out with "she ran off with another man"...I swear I will lose it...

I heard someone connected to him has suggested that maybe someone who had feelings for her but she didn't return the feelings could have done something to her.

DianaElaine
08-21-2011, 10:33 PM
But did you ask someone to take them away and burn them for you? Which seems to be the case here, unless I am mistaken...and then were you never seen again :(

Actually yes, I had my husband (we were separated) burn them for me in his fire pit, all papers he had seen, and knew about. But no, I'm still here.

Darcyline
08-21-2011, 10:37 PM
I don't totally buy this suggestion and that might be because living a few miles away I would be sleeping a lot better if they would tell us SOMETHING. My point being have they asked JC to take a lie detector, has he, did he pass. Who saw her other then JC on Saturday? I have a dozen other questions but my biggest question is IF the police do suspect foul play what is the theory?

I guess I didn't mean what do you do as in the police are going to throw their hands in the air and stop working the case. Just that I really don't think there is tons of evidence that is going to lead to an immediate resolution. They are going to have to do it the old-fashioned way and see who talks or if they can get lucky and find her body, if she is deceased. I know it is scary that you do live close and I understand how you feel :( I just think in cases where they do suspect someone close to the suspect less information is given. At this point, they cannot come out and say what they think if they really do suspect a close friend or the fiance.

cluciano63
08-21-2011, 10:39 PM
He did not have any posts on his page from July 26 until August 15th. While he did not post every day I do not see any other period of inactivity for this long, for whatever it is worth...

Not to quote myself...but I wonder if some change took place in their relationship during this three-week period of time when he was not posting on FB at all. Before that he posted at least once a week and she posted back to him.

ShouldBWorking
08-21-2011, 10:41 PM
Not to quote myself...but I wonder if some change took place in their relationship during this three-week period of time when he was not posting on FB at all. Before that he posted at least once a week and she posted back to him.

I also find it odd he didn't list that he was in a relationship, hasn't changed his profile picture to her BUT I am a total stranger never met her and I have changed mind. My daughter is pretty level headed and said his FB page creeped her out.

onlycurious
08-21-2011, 10:42 PM
These strike me as peculiar:

KM’s fiancé said he can hardly look at the missing posters plastered all around town because all he sees is her happy smile. During the vigil he “broke down” and said all he wants is to see her smile again. He said, “Katelyn, I miss you very much and I love you very much and I really, really want to see you again.”

Except for a few brief moments where he "broke down", JC shows very little emotion when he talks. It's more matter of fact and a lot of talking. Most people close to a missing person really don't want to say much to reporters -- it hurts to bad. But he jabbers on and on. He can't bear to look at her posters because all he sees is her happy smile. In the next breath all he wants is to see her smile again. If someone I loved was missing, my emphasis would be on wanting that person back -- my focus would not have been on a particular characteristic such wanting to see a "happy smile."

Responding to a news reporter’s “who or what made Katelyn disappear?” JC said: “I, I really don’t know. I have no idea . Eh, I just, you know, just kind of hope it’s nothing bad at all.

He just, he just kind of hopes it's nothing bad at all.

He "kind of hopes" does he? If it were me, I would be clinging with all I had to ever breath of hope out there that the one I loved would be found alive.

Just saying.

cluciano63
08-21-2011, 10:46 PM

**ICA, anyone?**

This is the strangest statement...and yes, very Casey-like, as someone mentioned earlier...who says something like this? A totally bewildered love one? Not in my opinion...

Inch High PI
08-21-2011, 11:09 PM

I had been wondering about the time of the 911 call and had not seen it anywhere- thank you.

But now I'm scratching my head even more! If he calls 911 at 5:58 and had already been to her house, why did he tell a reporter, not once but TWICE, that he went to her house between 7-7:30??

cluciano63
08-21-2011, 11:10 PM
I had been wondering about the time of the 911 call and had not seen it anywhere- thank you.

But now I'm scratching my head even more! If he calls 911 at 5:58 and had already been to her house, why did he tell a reporter, not once but TWICE, that he went to her house between 7-7:30??

I feel totally lost about the details in this case...this time-frame makes even less sense if the above is true...and was the paper-burning the night before?

Inch High PI
08-21-2011, 11:12 PM
I think he mentioned burning the papers because he knew it would look suspicious and thought the best policy would be to guide how people view that from the beginning rather than have the information emerge from the police weeks later or something.

Something else about him talking about the burned documents was odd. At first he called them "legal documents" then later he said they were just bills and old class schedules that she didn't want other people to see.

Maybe it's just me but I don't think of bills and class schedules as legal documents. Maybe I'm picking nits but this is just adding to the loooong list of hinkyness, to me.