PDA

View Full Version : WV WV - Aliayah Lunsford, 3, Lewis Co., 24-Sep-2011 - #1

Pages : [1] 2 3

momtective
09-24-2011, 04:01 PM
Lewis County Girl Missing
Posted Saturday, September 24, 2011 ; 02:00 PM
Updated Saturday, September 24, 2011; 02:36 PM

BENDALE -- The Lewis County Sheriff's Department is looking for a 3-year-old girl missing from the Bendale area. She was last seen wearing purple pajamas and a pink sweatshirt.

http://wboy.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=108621

momtective
09-24-2011, 04:09 PM
Scanner feed http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?ctid=3017

southern_comfort
09-24-2011, 04:11 PM
Praying for her safety.

fhc
09-24-2011, 04:13 PM
http://www.wdtv.com/index.php/home/local-news/9103-authorities-searching-for-missing-3-year-old-girl

photo here

momtective
09-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Aliayah is about 3' and weights about 30 pounds. She has long brown hair with curls on the end and brown eyes. She is missing her four front teeth. She was last seen wearing purple Dora pajama bottoms and a pink princess sweatshirt.

http://www.wdtv.com/index.php/home/local-news/9103-authorities-searching-for-missing-3-year-old-girl

Okay, why is the baby missing her four front teeth?

chasing.halos
09-24-2011, 04:40 PM
http://www.wdtv.com/images/stories/aliayah.jpg.png

Interesting way to put this:
Officers in Lewis County are looking for a three-year-old girl who supposedly went missing Saturday morning.

(bbm)

Very difficult to see this last name associated with a missing child again.... :cry:

Salem
09-24-2011, 04:47 PM
In the picture she has a bruise on her forehead? And she sure doesn't look happy. Poor baby. I hope they find her alive and well SOON!

Salem

southern_comfort
09-24-2011, 04:47 PM

(bbm)

Very difficult to see this last name associated with a missing child again.... :cry:

I thought the same thing about the word "supposedly", but I'm trying not to read much into word choice when it's not a direct quote, considering the quality of today's media.

On the other hand, I'm sorry to say that I will not be surprised if that word turns out to be very appropriate.

Ditto on the last name, too. :(

deelytful1
09-24-2011, 04:51 PM
Praying for Aliayah...
She was in her home at 6:30 AM?

So, they think she wandered off or a home abduction? :(
I've become so jaded when i hear the last place seen was her own home.

:praying: Aliayah comes home safe

momtective
09-24-2011, 04:52 PM
I always get a bad feeling when I see that the child was last early the early morning hours...that seems to be when most lil' ones wet the bed...just sayin'

I don't have a good feeling about this at all...sorry, I just don't. I would be thrilled to be wrong.

Jareau
09-24-2011, 04:53 PM

RSBM.

I was thinking the same thing...

I hope she is found safe and healthy.

Sharedspirit
09-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Aliayah is about 3' and weights about 30 pounds. She has long brown hair with curls on the end and brown eyes. She is missing her four front teeth. She was last seen wearing purple Dora pajama bottoms and a pink princess sweatshirt.

Probably rotted out from being given a baby bottle with pop or other sugary stuff in it. Happens a lot here.

The area where this child is missing from is a just outside of weston. An is also very close to Interstate 79.

Duke Fan4
09-24-2011, 04:58 PM
Why is there two threads for this story? I don't understand.

marycarney
09-24-2011, 05:01 PM

No comment about this particular case, but my kids all lost their baby teeth in 'spurts' - so generally speaking four gone at once doesn't seem strange at all. What does seem strange is that she's only three. This speaks to either extremely poor dental hygeine and having to have them pulled, or mom taking massive antibiotics prenatally which can damage the enamel of the baby teeth in offspring.

Not a lot of media info for a child missing over ten hours, don't you think?

Sharedspirit
Map of area where she's missing from

Hope this link works. Not sure how to post a map.

momtective
Probably rotted out from being given a baby bottle with pop or other sugary stuff in it. Happens a lot here.

The area where this child is missing from is a just outside of weston. An is also very close to Interstate 79.

Sharedspirit,
Is she actually missing from Ben Dale/Bendale?
Also,thank you for being the first to bring the news about Aliayah to WS, after I saw your thread I went ahead and started this one and the scanner thread for her.

vasportsmom
09-24-2011, 05:04 PM
I'm in VA but this is a good distance from me. I've linked the articles to my facebook anyway. I hope that this little angel will soon be home safely but I don't like the way it is sounding.

Sharedspirit
09-24-2011, 05:05 PM
well, not what I expected. What I was trying to show was the river that runs through the area where the girl is missing from. Ben Dale is south of weston and a river runs to the south of it, just a few blocks from where the girl is missing from.

chasing.halos
09-24-2011, 05:05 PM

Hi Duke- usually there are 2 threads for the missing. One is in the Missing Info Support thread which has media links and general information. The other is in the Missing Forum Discussion (here) where we discuss the case.

Hope this helps!

Sharedspirit
09-24-2011, 05:06 PM
Yes, she's actually missing from Ben Dale according to the news.but it's a Weston Mailing address. I was given a street address from a friend who lives in the area but haven't been able to confirm it yet.

momtective
09-24-2011, 05:08 PM

This is the discussion thread the other thread is for Missing Persons Information and Support and there is also a scanner feed thread for Aliayah as well...so yes, there is more than one thread, each with a specific purpose. It does get confusing, doesn't it.

Duke Fan4
09-24-2011, 05:09 PM
Thank you very much. I am still rather new at this. Appreciate all the help and info. You guys are great with your sleuthing, me I am just a reader.

deelytful1
09-24-2011, 05:10 PM
No comment about this particular case, but my kids all lost their baby teeth in 'spurts' - so generally speaking four gone at once doesn't seem strange at all. What does seem strange is that she's only three. This speaks to either extremely poor dental hygeine and having to have them pulled, or mom taking massive antibiotics prenatally which can damage the enamel of the baby teeth in offspring.

Not a lot of media info for a child missing over ten hours, don't you think?

ITA ... OR it means they were knocked out prematurely perhaps from a fall (while being unattended) or... worse :(
OK, I'll stop. I'm jumping to conclusions...

chasing.halos
09-24-2011, 05:10 PM
Oh and regarding the teeth- don't think we should assume they are not there because of poor dental hygiene. IMHO. Kiddos that are rough and tumble types can have accidents and have their teeth knocked out. My sons best buddy is 3 and he lost 2 of his teeth from an accident at day care where he was running and then tripped and knocked his teeth out from hitting a table. It does happen... (he looks like a lil hockey player now lol)

momtective
09-24-2011, 05:12 PM
Thank you very much. I am still rather new at this. Appreciate all the help and info. You guys are great with your sleuthing, me I am just a reader.

:welcome:

Turtles
09-24-2011, 05:13 PM

(bbm)

BBM

My very first thought :( Praying Aliayah is found safe!

chasing.halos
09-24-2011, 05:13 PM
The photo of her is really haunting to me. :(

Sharedspirit
09-24-2011, 05:15 PM
If you google map ben dale wv, you can see that the town is very small and is almost totally surrounded by the West Fork River, which flows into Stonewall Jackson Lake. I pray she didn't get anywhere near that river!

deelytful1
09-24-2011, 05:15 PM

Me too! Is this the best picture they have of Aliayah?
I dunno... At this age I was following my son around the house taking pics of everything!
Maybe its the most recent? Sigh...

deelytful1
09-24-2011, 05:18 PM
If you google map ben dale wv, you can see that the town is very small and is almost totally surrounded by the West Fork River, which flows into Stonewall Jackson Lake. I pray she didn't get anywhere near that river!

Its asking me if I mean Ben Dale NEAR WV?????
:waitasec:

Is that what u meant?

southern_comfort
09-24-2011, 05:19 PM
I dunno... At this age I was following my son around the house taking pics of everything!

BBM

I hope not, since it looks like there's a Christmas tree behind her...

deelytful1
09-24-2011, 05:19 PM
If this is the most recent pic they have of Aliayah... it's a Christmas pic!! That means it's Nine almost 10 months old! :(

chasing.halos
09-24-2011, 05:20 PM

Agree. Sad photo - she looks very sad and has dark circles under her eyes. Looks to be possibly at Christmas time with a tree in the background lit up?

IDK but I have a terrible feeling about this. Trying to hold onto hope...

momtective
Its asking me if I mean Ben Dale NEAR WV?????
:waitasec:

Is that what u meant?

I've seen it as one word "Bendale" and two words "Ben Dale."

deelytful1
BBM

I hope not, since it looks like there's a Christmas tree behind her...

I know, right :(
Little kids change alot in 10 months!

momtective
09-24-2011, 05:22 PM
Agree. Sad photo - she looks very sad and has dark circles under her eyes. Looks to be possibly at Christmas time with a tree in the background lit up?

IDK but I have a terrible feeling about this. Trying to hold onto hope...

Not even so much the expression on her face...but those eyes...oh my, those eyes, that's the first thing I noticed.

momtective
09-24-2011, 05:27 PM
Anyone else looked for fb? I did with last name in Weston and initially there were 7 and now only 5. Maybe it's just me.

Sharedspirit
09-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Two words. Ben Dale in Lewis County.

Sharedspirit
09-24-2011, 05:29 PM
I found the mother's fb page.

momtective
09-24-2011, 05:34 PM
I found the mother's fb page.

Please don't post it here, it's against TOS.

KaylynnCouture
09-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Praying for Aliayah :rose:

vasportsmom
09-24-2011, 05:37 PM
I haven't looked for FB's. I started a blog yesterday where I planned to cover some of the missing here that have really touched me and don't seem to be getting the press they need (Sharon West was supposed to be first) but I just put this little girl up. Her picture haunts me and I don't like what I am reading so far.

cluciano63
09-24-2011, 05:47 PM
Not asking anyone to post it, but how was her mother's name found? I don't see it in the stories posted above, unless I missed it.

Sarahlou
09-24-2011, 05:48 PM

Me too. She's only a baby and already looks like she's had a tough life. I know I'm assuming a lot there but she looks so sad.

JustPeachy
09-24-2011, 05:51 PM
Not asking anyone to post it, but how was her mother's name found? I don't see it in the stories posted above, unless I missed it.

Do a Google search on Aliayah's name.

amandab
09-24-2011, 05:57 PM

Did a little digging....Aliayah is one of 5 siblings, I believe....

Sharedspirit
09-24-2011, 06:01 PM

Google her name and you can find other family names.

momtective
09-24-2011, 06:02 PM

In Ben Dale or Weston?

Cubby
09-24-2011, 06:02 PM
Very little media for this child. What is going on? A 3 yr old is missing and almost no media?

momtective
09-24-2011, 06:03 PM
Did a little digging....Aliayah is one of 5 siblings, I believe....

That's what I found too but wasn't sure it was the right one.

vasportsmom
09-24-2011, 06:06 PM

All the threads always confuse me too. Took me quite a while to figure out what was what and I still find myself posting in the wrong place on occassion.

Dr.Fessel
09-24-2011, 06:08 PM
I believe Mark Lunsford was from WV. Wonder if any relation?

eileenhawkeye
09-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Someone above said to search for Aliayah Lunsford to find her mom's name, which I did, and then I searched her mom's name, and there's a woman with the same name living in West Virginia who was arrested in 2009....

JustPeachy
09-24-2011, 06:18 PM
Someone above said to search for Aliayah Lunsford to find her mom's name, which I did, and then I searched her mom's name, and there's a woman with the same name living in West Virginia who was arrested in 2009....

I think that is Mom.

Sharedspirit
09-24-2011, 06:19 PM
I believe Mark Lunsford was from WV. Wonder if any relation?

There are a lot of lunsford's in WV. Probably not related.

eileenhawkeye
09-24-2011, 06:21 PM
I think that is Mom.

Most likely. I also found a newspaper article from 2007 that says a woman with the same name was arrested for forgery and uttering in Gilmer County, WV.

Sharedspirit
09-24-2011, 06:24 PM
If they haven't found her by now, it's not a good sign. It's not a big search area unless you count searching the river.

momtective
09-24-2011, 06:29 PM

Why am I not surprised...:doh:

momtective
09-24-2011, 06:33 PM
If they haven't found her by now, it's not a good sign. It's not a big search area unless you count searching the river.

I really don't think this is going to end well and I wish the media was more on this one. It's like some kids matter and some just don't and that really ticks me off, THEY ALL MATTER! This baby should be given the same media attention that Caylee was given...every missing child should!

cluciano63
09-24-2011, 06:34 PM
I really don't think this is going to end well and I wish the media was more on this one. It's like some kids matter and some just don't and that really ticks me off, THEY ALL MATTER! This baby should be given the same media attention that Caylee was given...every missing child should!

Weekends have very little live news, nationally anyway...all those taped shows...

momtective
09-24-2011, 06:36 PM
Weekends have very little live news, nationally anyway...all those taped shows...

But one would think that the local news there would be all over this...and they're not.

cluciano63
09-24-2011, 06:43 PM
But one would think that the local news there would be all over this...and they're not.

Well, college football and all...:(

eileenhawkeye
09-24-2011, 06:47 PM
I wonder if living in a rural area, hours from the nearest major city, has an affect on a case's media coverage? If a child went missing from the DC area, even if the national media didn't pick up the story, just being reported all over the DC news would get the story out to millions of people, and be a fair amount of coverage.

Cubby
09-24-2011, 06:48 PM

I hate thinking this, but what comes to mind with the 'media silence' is along the lines of Ethan Stacy. All that comes to mind is LE doing far more interviewing than searching right now, and it is an awful thought and an awful feeling.

The media attention being given this three year old is equivilant to repeat missing teenage runaways, and I can't believe it is due to being a weekend. Media also needs to be given info from LE to report, so why isn't LE pushing for more media?

I already want to know who outside of family, or the family living in that home, last say Aliayah. If she has siblings, what do they have to say?

On the other hand, we could all be wrong, she could have been found safe and media is slow to report it.

Praying for this little one, that she comes home safely and soon.

eileenhawkeye
09-24-2011, 06:49 PM
Well, college football and all...:(

Yeah, they are all over the WVU v. LSU game on the local news' website I went on. LSU is #2, playing at West Virginia, and ESPN Gameday is there, which is a huge deal in the college football world. I definitely think Aliayah's case is going to get overshadowed by that game.

ETA: Since everyone in WV will be watching the game, which is on ABC, wouldn't it useful if they were able to mention Aliayah's disappearance during it? Like a scroll during the game at the bottom of the screen?

cluciano63
09-24-2011, 06:52 PM
If LE isn't putting out some version of an AA, are they looking to the family, I wonder...

Sharedspirit
09-24-2011, 06:56 PM
More coverage about wvu kids getting their couches taken away than on this missing girl. Typical for our local news coverage. Looks like WBOY removed the story. They do that sometimes when they are updating a story but I don't see any updates.

daisy7
09-24-2011, 06:59 PM
DO NOT sleuth family members that are not named in MSM!!!

cluciano63
09-24-2011, 07:00 PM
More coverage about wvu kids getting their couches taken away than on this missing girl. Typical for our local news coverage. Looks like WBOY removed the story. They do that sometimes when they are updating a story but I don't see any updates.

Has she been found? Not seeing anything on that site now at all...weird.

fhc
09-24-2011, 07:06 PM
http://wboy.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=108621

just updated but nothing new, 7:03pm Eastern

cluciano63
09-24-2011, 07:12 PM
So she has been missing more than 12 hours and this seems to warrant a blurb after the top story of W. Va at LSU...

Sharedspirit
09-24-2011, 07:13 PM
It's getting dark here in WV. Damp and chilly outside. I hope she's found and the media just hasn't picked up on it yet!

peeples
09-24-2011, 07:16 PM
MOO 6:30 am is a weird last time to see a child, unless mom or dad got up to use the bathroom and peeked in at her in bed...

SinKittyVixen
09-24-2011, 07:23 PM
Im thinking of this baby..please be safe!!

Sharedspirit
09-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Nothing on the regional news sites. That is a bad sign. Police must think she's still in the area if they aren't contacting news outside of the two local channels. Or they are slacking on the job, which happens also. I've never seen such poor news coverage on a missing child.

Cubby
09-24-2011, 07:26 PM
MOO 6:30 am is a weird last time to see a child, unless mom or dad got up to use the bathroom and peeked in at her in bed...

It is a strange last time to see a child. Doesn't lend to thinking along the lines of a custody dispute.

No mention of whether or not there were visitors who stayed the night or late.

No mention if the siblings are older and perhaps the younger child went out with older siblings.

MEM2010
09-24-2011, 07:27 PM
The silence isn't sitting too well with me. I think the police believe something is up.

Officers in Lewis County are looking for a three-year-old girl who supposedly went missing Saturday morning.

"supposedly" ???

not just semantics.....IMO

I pray you are safe Aliayah

daisy7
09-24-2011, 07:30 PM
Nothing on the regional news sites. That is a bad sign. Police must think she's still in the area if they aren't contacting news outside of the two local channels. Or they are slacking on the job, which happens also. I've never seen such poor news coverage on a missing child.

We don't know which media LE has contacted. We only know which media has decided to report it.

Cubby
09-24-2011, 07:38 PM
We don't know which media LE has contacted. We only know which media has decided to report it.

Yes, but this is a child. I can see media choosing not to report missing adults, but children?

On a non MSM note, I wonder if there is a reverse 911 in the area where local LE sends out calls to all in the area when an emergency such as this occurs.

We've even had reverse 911 calls received at 3am with downed live power lines due to bad storms.

Hopefully this area uses a reverse 911 system.

cluciano63
09-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Well, the whole of W. Va is about to be plopped down in front of the TV watching the game in about 15 minutes, so that would be the ideal place for the news to be run on the ticker, i.e.

JMO of course

momtective
09-24-2011, 08:01 PM
Okay, time for me to start getting ready for work but I'll be thinking of Aliayah through the night and checking in to see if she's been found.

:praying: for Aliayah

Cubby
09-24-2011, 08:02 PM
The silence isn't sitting too well with me. I think the police believe something is up.

"supposedly" ???

not just semantics.....IMO

I pray you are safe Aliayah

Sadly I agree. This doesn't sound like a case of a hiding child who has fallen asleep somewhere. More than 12 hours later almost zilch on the media for this child. I think we all know that most likely means LE is not buying the story the child went 'missing', but fear something happened to her and someone is trying to cover it up. I can't think of any other logical explanation for the lack of media coverage.

Maybe it means LE has an idea of where she is at, or were told where to find her?

I don't think this is going to turn out good. Praying I am wrong.

Sharedspirit
09-24-2011, 08:02 PM
There is a national guard armory in this small town. Takes up most of the town. I just spoke to a local who is a friend of mine. Can I post what she said about what she's seen today as far as the search?

cluciano63
09-24-2011, 08:04 PM
There is a national guard armory in this small town. Takes up most of the town. I just spoke to a local who is a friend of mine. Can I post what she said about what she's seen today as far as the search?

Please do.

Sharedspirit
09-24-2011, 08:14 PM
ok, delete if I'm not supposed to post this but she said there have been search crews with dogs all day, and that they have been searching the river with boats.

She has seen NO news media there at all. That explains why they are only reporting what was on the police press release. Dang reporters are all at the game.

cluciano63
09-24-2011, 08:32 PM
Good grief, don't get lost when there is a home game...

Sharedspirit
09-24-2011, 08:39 PM
Don't get lost in WV at all! The only missing persons that get good coverage are ones who's families harass the media until they cover the story again.

annalyzer
09-24-2011, 08:58 PM
http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PubCaseSearchServlet?act=viewChildDetail&LanguageCountry=en_US&searchLang=en_US&caseLang=en_US&orgPrefix=NCMC&caseNum=1180362&seqNum=1

badhorsie
09-24-2011, 09:04 PM
http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PubCaseSearchServlet?act=viewChildDetail&LanguageCountry=en_US&searchLang=en_US&caseLang=en_US&orgPrefix=NCMC&caseNum=1180362&seqNum=1

Something is terribly wrong here :(

shefner
09-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Something is terribly wrong here :(

You got that right! That photo tears my heart out. As a parent, I wouldn't want that photo used....geez.

Cubby
09-24-2011, 09:10 PM
ok, delete if I'm not supposed to post this but she said there have been search crews with dogs all day, and that they have been searching the river with boats.

She has seen NO news media there at all. That explains why they are only reporting what was on the police press release. Dang reporters are all at the game.

Was she able to let you know if the childs scent was tracked from the home? Any other info that you can share? IOW, any leads or idea's what may have happened?

peeples
09-24-2011, 09:21 PM
Her eyes tell a long story, they look like the eyes of an abused child :( :(
MOO

deelytful1
09-24-2011, 09:26 PM
Can anyone define for me "endangered missing"? I'm sure its self explanatory but I was just curious what the differences were...

JeannieC
09-24-2011, 09:26 PM
ITA ... OR it means they were knocked out prematurely perhaps from a fall (while being unattended) or... worse :(
OK, I'll stop. I'm jumping to conclusions...

I know a 2 year old who had her teeth knocked out when the babysitter's grown son hit her in the face while molesting her so 4 teeth missing in a 3 year old raises a very large red flag to me.

I'm not meaning to accuse anyone. I'm just speaking from previous experience.

Cubby
09-24-2011, 09:27 PM
I'm not necessarily going to jump to conclusions on the photo. It looks like a Christmas photo which means it could have been taken when she was still 2. It could have been taken at a family gathering in which she didn't have time to nap and was whiny and crying. 2-3 year olds without naps can have that same sad look.

OT- but I once took my son to a 1pm afternoon Wiggles concert when he was a few months shy of 3. Without his nap he didn't make it through the end of the concert without crying - and I had to miss them singing the big red car, lol.

Her eyes don't look empty to me, she looks like a typical 2-3 yr old who was probably tired and crying.

Sharedspirit
09-24-2011, 09:29 PM
Was she able to let you know if the childs scent was tracked from the home? Any other info that you can share? IOW, any leads or idea's what may have happened?

Just local gossip that I can't post here. She wasn't able to speak to anyone in charge of the search.

I've been to this area many times. If she got up and left on her own, it wouldn't take her very long to get to the river. A lot of people here don't lock their doors. She could have got up before the rest of the family & taken a walk.

JeannieC
09-24-2011, 09:30 PM
I hate thinking this, but what comes to mind with the 'media silence' is along the lines of Ethan Stacy. All that comes to mind is LE doing far more interviewing than searching right now, and it is an awful thought and an awful feeling.

The media attention being given this three year old is equivilant to repeat missing teenage runaways, and I can't believe it is due to being a weekend. Media also needs to be given info from LE to report, so why isn't LE pushing for more media?

I already want to know who outside of family, or the family living in that home, last say Aliayah. If she has siblings, what do they have to say?

On the other hand, we could all be wrong, she could have been found safe and media is slow to report it.

Praying for this little one, that she comes home safely and soon.

Have they done an amber alert?

eileenhawkeye
09-24-2011, 09:33 PM
I think if LE believed that Aliayah had been snatched from her bedroom by someone, they would be doing everything possible to get media coverage. Perhaps in this case, media coverage won't help so LE isn't pushing for it. I think most LE would prefer if a case didn't become high profile unless it was absolutely necessary.

deelytful1
09-24-2011, 09:36 PM
I'm not necessarily going to jump to conclusions on the photo. It looks like a Christmas photo which means it could have been taken when she was still 2. It could have been taken at a family gathering in which she didn't have time to nap and was whiny and crying. 2-3 year olds without naps can have that same sad look.

OT- but I once took my son to a 1pm afternoon Wiggles concert when he was a few months shy of 3. Without his nap he didn't make it through the end of the concert without crying - and I had to miss them singing the big red car, lol.

Her eyes don't look empty to me, she looks like a typical 2-3 yr old who was probably tired and crying.

We went to a Barney and Wiggles "concert" outside in 40 degree weather! FUN! Lmao....
My only complaint about the pic is that its so old!! In this day and age, you should have an updated pic JUST because of these reasons... Digital cameras are NOT expensive nowadays.

deelytful1
09-24-2011, 09:38 PM
I think if LE believed that Aliayah had been snatched from her bedroom by someone, they would be doing everything possible to get media coverage. Perhaps in this case, media coverage won't help so LE isn't pushing for it. I think most LE would prefer if a case didn't become high profile unless it was absolutely necessary.

I guess that means they either think she got out and roamed into the wilderness or that there was family involvement.....

shefner
09-24-2011, 09:38 PM

Yeah...but is this the photo you would give to the authorities? I mean, it might be cute to laugh at when the child is 16 and you are recalling a whiney Christmas of childhood. But this is the photo people are going to use to try to find your child....
Maybe I'm jaded. I just think they would have a better photo to share with the media....and a more recent one, at least.

JeannieC
09-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Lets pray that she just wandered off and will be found. This is heartwrenching!

deelytful1
09-24-2011, 09:44 PM
http://www.wvstatepolice.com/

Not a good sign...

eileenhawkeye
09-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Here's info about WV's Amber Alert system:

Activation of the Amber Alert System requires law enforcement to meet ALL the following minimum mandatory criteria:

Law enforcement confirms a child 17 years of age or younger has been abducted.

Law enforcement believes the circumstances surrounding the abduction indicate that the child is in danger of serious bodily harm or death.

Law enforcement has enough descriptive information about the child, abductor and suspectís vehicle to believe an immediate broadcast will facilitate the childís location.

A law enforcement officer must enter the abducted child into NCIC and must provide supporting documentation as to why the Amber Alert System should be activated.

fhc
09-24-2011, 09:56 PM
http://www.wvstatepolice.com/

Not a good sign...

What on that site is not a good sign? There were no RSOs in Lewis County.

peeples
09-24-2011, 09:58 PM
I think they mean no amber alert

fhc
09-24-2011, 10:05 PM
http://sundaygazettemail.com/News/201109243611

Nothing new here, but hopefully another source.

deelytful1
09-24-2011, 10:09 PM
I was pointing out the fact that there was no amber alert....
I really think ALL states should get rid of the stipulation that they have to have a description of the car or the abductor... many times this info isn't even correct.

JeannieC
09-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Here's info about WV's Amber Alert system:

Thanks. Basically the Amber Alert is only used IF they see the person being abducted. Have a description of the car, etc.

cluciano63
09-24-2011, 10:17 PM
Amber Alerts are a good tool if you have a vehicle since it was designed to pass news quickly to people on the roads.

But surely another type of alert should be used for children who are simply "missing", reasons unknown. It should be separate from Amber Alert, more for people on foot, or just going about their business. There is no way people in cars are going to recognize a missing child as a car speeds by if they do not have a car description, IMO.

JustPeachy
09-24-2011, 10:22 PM
She was last seen at 6:30a.m., who saw her then?
What was she doing, still sleeping, up going potty, or eating her little bowl of cereal?
Who reported her missing and what time?
Who else lives in the home?

So many questions and NO answers.

dsntslp
09-24-2011, 10:23 PM
In regards to the picture, I think she looks like her mouth hurts and she is sucking her bottom lip into the hole where the teeth previously were.

Has it been said at what age her teeth were lost?
Can it be ascertained if, in this picture, she still had her teeth or if they were recently lost and her mouth would be painful?

Either way I do agree that she appears tearful. She sure is sucking on that bottom lip, IMO.

Not that any of this would help to find her...sorry.

Sharedspirit
09-24-2011, 10:26 PM
http://sundaygazettemail.com/News/201109243611

Nothing new here, but hopefully another source.

That's good! It's getting state wide coverage instead of just the local news. If she's been taken out of the area, we need her picture out there in the media!

JeannieC
09-24-2011, 10:32 PM
Amber Alerts are a good tool if you have a vehicle since it was designed to pass news quickly to people on the roads.

But surely another type of alert should be used for children who are simply "missing", reasons unknown. It should be separate from Amber Alert, more for people on foot, or just going about their business. There is no way people in cars are going to recognize a missing child as a car speeds by if they do not have a car description, IMO.

I agree. I heard just the tale end of something on TV about changing the criteria or making changes to the Amber Alert. They added the Silver Alert and I think there is a Gold Alert too. (I could be wrong about the last one but they have three). Another wouldn't hurt. One for missing children.

cluciano63
09-24-2011, 10:34 PM
In regards to the picture, I think she looks like her mouth hurts and she is sucking her bottom lip into the hole where the teeth previously were.

Has it been said at what age her teeth were lost?
Can it be ascertained if, in this picture, she still had her teeth or if they were recently lost and her mouth would be painful?

Either way I do agree that she appears tearful. She sure is sucking on that bottom lip, IMO.

Not that any of this would help to find her...sorry.

There has been zero info, other than she is missing, certainly no deails about her teeth, etc...(other than that they are missing.)

eileenhawkeye
09-24-2011, 10:34 PM
If you don't have a description of the vehicle, then I don't see how the current Amber Alert would be useful. Are the signs on the highway just going to say "(Race)(Sex)(Age)(Height)(Weight)" and people are going to look into cars to see if anyone matches that description?

cluciano63
09-24-2011, 10:35 PM
I agree. I heard just the tale end of something on TV about changing the criteria or making changes to the Amber Alert. They added the Silver Alert and I think there is a Gold Alert too. (I could be wrong about the last one but they have three). Another wouldn't hurt. One for missing children.

It shouldn't be brain surgery for towns and or communities to simply post any and all info in any and all sources when a child is missing; it should not require a program to do so, JMO (not directed at YOU- it is so frustrating).

Cubby
09-24-2011, 10:35 PM
Have they done an amber alert?

No. Amber alerts are usually only done with known abductions and almost always a vehicle description. The laws vary by state, but most require at least verification of an abduction or possible abduction and a vehicle description.

hth

eileenhawkeye
09-24-2011, 10:40 PM
I think that if LE felt Aliayah had wandered outside on her own, they would put more of an effort into getting media coverage because she's only 3, and they could tell people to check their yards for her. I know there's a game on right now, but I don't think the WV media would ignore the story if LE was holding press conferences. I think it speaks volumes that they aren't asking for the media and public's help; possibly because they don't need it.

JeannieC
09-24-2011, 10:41 PM
It shouldn't be brain surgery for towns and or communities to simply post any and all info in any and all sources when a child is missing; it should not require a program to do so, JMO (not directed at YOU- it is so frustrating).

I totally agree with you. I don't see why that can't go across the TV and be on the road signs too. This child could be miles away by now.

Cubby
09-24-2011, 10:41 PM
I guess that means they either think she got out and roamed into the wilderness or that there was family involvement.....

Those are my thoughts too. Still, so little media coverage. I suppose if it is a small enough town word would get around pretty quickly? Maybe they didn't want tons of people coming out which might have impaired the search. I dunno, Chicago is a pretty big area it's hard for me to get a good picture of small town living.

Still praying she is found safe and soon. :praying:

Cubby
09-24-2011, 10:44 PM
Yeah...but is this the photo you would give to the authorities? I mean, it might be cute to laugh at when the child is 16 and you are recalling a whiney Christmas of childhood. But this is the photo people are going to use to try to find your child....
Maybe I'm jaded. I just think they would have a better photo to share with the media....and a more recent one, at least.

We don't know what this families financial situation is right now. It may be they are on an extremely tight budget and didn't have any other close up facial shots. Aliayah is not school age yet, so it's possible the majority of the photo's are from a distance and zooming didn't come out clear enough.

Sharedspirit
09-24-2011, 10:45 PM
What on that site is not a good sign? There were no RSOs in Lewis County.

There are 32 rso's in Lewis County. 21 of those with Weston addresses. According to the west virginia rso website search for lewis county.

Cubby
09-24-2011, 10:50 PM
I think that if LE felt Aliayah had wandered outside on her own, they would put more of an effort into getting media coverage because she's only 3, and they could tell people to check their yards for her. I know there's a game on right now, but I don't think the WV media would ignore the story if LE was holding press conferences. I think it speaks volumes that they aren't asking for the media and public's help; possibly because they don't need it.

Agree. Especially about people checking their yards or just being watchful. And what BETTER than during a game when it will reach the largest audience! both those watching the game and on the jumbo trons (sp?) or on whatever kind of screen they have at the game. That is ONE thing that from day one of my following MP cases, I simply never understood.

Sharedspirit
09-24-2011, 10:52 PM
Can anyone tell me how to post a map from google maps here? Or if it's even possible? I think a visual will help.

I've got a google image of the area but have no idea how to post it.

Cubby
09-24-2011, 10:55 PM
Can anyone tell me how to post a map from google maps here? Or if it's even possible? I think a visual will help.

I'm not the best at posting maps but in the upper right corner you should see a choice of two types of links. I never know which one works here, so when you go to post try the post preview option to see if it works.

hth, if not, hopefully someone else can give better instructions.

cluciano63
09-24-2011, 10:57 PM

I stink at that, but can you post the link?

Sharedspirit
09-24-2011, 11:04 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=49+dennison+street+weston+wv&hl=en&ll=39.015316,-80.478072&spn=0.009937,0.022681&t=h&z=16&vpsrc=6

That is the link to the map. If you see that loop the river makes. That little town inside the loop is where she went missing.

momtective
09-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Just copy and paste the address bar link. It may not appear as you want it to on the forum but once it's
clicked on it will appear to the viewer just as it did for you.

Sharedspirit
09-24-2011, 11:07 PM
Most of that small town is taken up by the national guard armory.

Cubby
09-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Is it known how far she lived from the river?

Sharedspirit
09-24-2011, 11:25 PM
The address that I used for that map is the address that I was told was her home. I don't know how accurate that is though.

Jaxson
09-24-2011, 11:33 PM

I have 25 yr old who never smiled when he was little. He was always pouting and I constantly heard about it from people because he wouldn't speak to anyone but me either. He is pure sunshine and laughter now and a real comedian but I don't have any photos of him smiling that I could find quickly. There just aren't very many.

Sharedspirit
09-24-2011, 11:38 PM

K-9 units from both Lumberport and the South Charleston State Police Detachment combed the area for any sign of the 3-year-old, and police say one dog lead them down the street and near the banks of the West Fork River.

cluciano63
09-24-2011, 11:41 PM

K-9 units from both Lumberport and the South Charleston State Police Detachment combed the area for any sign of the 3-year-old, and police say one dog lead them down the street and near the banks of the West Fork River.

Oh dear...did she wander off and go into the water? Does anyone know how deep that river is?

deelytful1
09-24-2011, 11:45 PM
Why do they keep saying "supposedly" and "it seems" :banghead:

elepher50
09-24-2011, 11:47 PM
The address that I used for that map is the address that I was told was her home. I don't know how accurate that is though.

Thanks, I am seeing reference to a Lunsford further north residing at Farland Drive just off Old Mill Road (about 5 miles north of where you have positioned the location).

Haven't read the whole thread yet, have the parents names been released in mainstream media yet?

deelytful1
09-24-2011, 11:53 PM
Oh dear...did she wander off and go into the water? Does anyone know how deep that river is?

Are there gators in the rivers of West Virginia? :(
Plenty down here in FL so we need to be doubly careful
Sigh...

deelytful1
09-24-2011, 11:54 PM
Thanks, I am seeing reference to a Lunsford further north residing at Farland Drive just off Old Mill Road (about 5 miles north of where you have positioned the location).

Haven't read the whole thread yet, have the parents names been released in mainstream media yet?

Not yet....

Sharedspirit
09-24-2011, 11:56 PM

No parent's names released yet. There are several families in the area with the same last name.

AmandaReckonwith
09-24-2011, 11:56 PM
http://i53.tinypic.com/30vmcnl.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/2j5idea.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/mjl7yc.jpg

crocus
09-25-2011, 12:14 AM
http://i53.tinypic.com/30vmcnl.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/2j5idea.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/mjl7yc.jpg
http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/hi5.gif (http://www.millan.net)
Great map!

Peazzzer
09-25-2011, 12:14 AM
No gators there but water moccasins. The rivers are swift. Please let her be found. Why do they always head to the river?

cluciano63
09-25-2011, 12:16 AM
Why has no one interviewed the family, I wonder? You would think they would be desperate to tell their story, beg for help, etc...I am so curious about who saw her at 6:30AM and what the circumstances were.

crocus
09-25-2011, 12:17 AM
I have sent out many messages to mainstream media about this case. Hoping one of them picks up on it and will look further into it for more details.

Sharedspirit
09-25-2011, 12:21 AM
Why has no one interviewed the family, I wonder? You would think they would be desperate to tell their story, beg for help, etc...I am so curious about who saw her at 6:30AM and what the circumstances were.

If the family was told that the scent was followed to the river bank, they probably weren't in any shape to talk to the media. It was late when the media finally showed up.

peeples
09-25-2011, 12:34 AM
Sooo according to this news report the PD didn't start looking for her till 11:30..... that is LATE in the day for her to be reported missing if she was last seen at 6:30.... this is confusing to me

09/24/2011: Toddler Vanishes From Weston, WV Without A Trace - Where is Aliayah Lunsford - YouTube

Cubby
09-25-2011, 12:39 AM
It's possible someone checked on her at 6:30 am while the family was still sleeping. then when everyone awoke a few hours later, looked and then called police. I don't think it means everyone woke at 6:30 and reported her missing several hours later. Just how I interpreted the MSM info.

peeples
09-25-2011, 12:42 AM
a news article saying the same thing.. that the search for her didn't start until 11:30

http://www.wdtv.com/

I find it hinky given the # of siblings she has, that she wasn't reported missing sooner, I suppose the parents could have called at 7:30 or 8:30 am or something though, and the Police didn't start an official search until 11:30...

peeples
09-25-2011, 12:46 AM
It's possible someone checked on her at 6:30 am while the family was still sleeping. then when everyone awoke a few hours later, looked and then called police. I don't think it means everyone woke at 6:30 and reported her missing several hours later. Just how I interpreted the MSM info.

I didn't think everyone woke up at 6:30, I was more thinking along the lines of everyone sleeping till 11:30 when the police were contacted or started searching. My thought 11:30.. sheesh.. I have 5 kids and could only ever dream of sleeping that late with some of them being 4 and under LOL

Melanie
09-25-2011, 12:48 AM
Lunsord

Purple pants

My mind drifts to Jessica Lunsford :(

I don't know anything about the parents and what the dynamic is, but my hinky meter is UP!

We probably get 1 out of 10 cases where a child wanders off or abducted from their home? More than likely the family is involved, and this is a cover-up (yup, I said it). But I also want to say this is my opinion only.

Just like Celina Cass, or Jessica Lunsford, or Danielle Van Dam. I could go on and on.

I pray LE is looking at the parents and local SE's.

Sorry to look at this with the glass half empty.

MOOOOO

Mel

peeples
09-25-2011, 12:49 AM
facebook page for her

http://www.facebook.com/find.aliayah

Sharedspirit
09-25-2011, 12:49 AM
The search & rescue team came from South Charleston and Lumberport. It would have taken them a while to get to Lewis county. I was actually surprised at how fast they did start the search with dogs. I've seen it take a lot longer. WV does not have the resources that a lot of other states have.

peeples
09-25-2011, 12:51 AM
Thanks shared :)

elepher50
09-25-2011, 12:51 AM
a news article saying the same thing.. that the search for her didn't start until 11:30

I find it hinky given the # of siblings she has, that she wasn't reported missing sooner, I suppose the parents could have called at 7:30 or 8:30 am or something though, and the Police didn't start an official search until 11:30...

Four siblings and the mother is around 29 years old so that makes 5 little ones to keep track of on a busy Saturday morning.

There is not much infomation in MSM and cannot find any "help find Aliayah facebook" page.

elepher50
09-25-2011, 12:52 AM
facebook page for her

http://www.facebook.com/find.aliayah

Thanks Peeples ... guess I am going blind ............:crazy:

Cubby
09-25-2011, 12:53 AM
I'm sure they didn't sleep until 11:30. We have to consider the time they spent looking themselves, checking with neighbors and then calling LE. Plus the LE response time in a very rural area. I know in some rural area's the response time is greater than others. In addition to the response time from LE, the family would be interviewed first. Then whatever time it took to organize and call in a search team.

We don't know what time she was reported missing, only what time she was last seen safe within the home- according to family.

eileenhawkeye

I can't think of a legitimate reason for LE to start searching for a missing 3-year-old 3-4 hours after she was reported missing. Even if they believed she was dead, her body would still hold many clues.

peeples
Thanks Peeples ... guess I am going blind ............

Lol!!!
Nahhh it's just getting late!

chasing.halos
09-25-2011, 12:54 AM
Is there any news? I have been away from the computer all day. Thinking of Aliayah...

peeples
09-25-2011, 12:55 AM
It's possible searching was started much sooner than 11:30... time lines are NOT my forte LOL

Melanie
09-25-2011, 12:57 AM
If this is the most recent pic they have of Aliayah... it's a Christmas pic!! That means it's Nine almost 10 months old! :(

Most 3 year olds change their appearance in 9 months time. I hope a more recent picture is released!

peeples
09-25-2011, 12:58 AM
Is there any news? I have been away from the computer all day. Thinking of Aliayah...

Nothing really.. they had out dive teams, they will be returning tomorrow. Dogs led them to a river bank. :(

Cubby
09-25-2011, 12:59 AM
The search & rescue team came from South Charleston and Lumberport. It would have taken them a while to get to Lewis county. I was actually surprised at how fast they did start the search with dogs. I've seen it take a lot longer. WV does not have the resources that a lot of other states have.

I just wanted to say thank you Sharedspirit for your local perspective on this case. It is very much appreciated.

:gthanks:

Cubby
09-25-2011, 01:02 AM
Nothing really.. they had out dive teams, they will be returning tomorrow. Dogs led them to a river bank. :(

BBM. I didn't see MSM mention dogs led them to the river bank. I thought they checked the river due to the proximity of the home to the river. I don't have working computer speakers so could have missed the info in a video. Did LE or MSM say the dogs tracked her to the river bank? :(

Sharedspirit
09-25-2011, 01:04 AM
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?cb_00065=on&format=gif_default&period=7&site_no=03058020

The West Fork River is at about 6.75 feet right now according to this web site. It flows north from stonewall jackson lake up through harrison & marion counties where it joins the tygart valley river which flows into the Monongahela River.

elepher50
09-25-2011, 01:05 AM
BBM. I didn't see MSM mention dogs led them to the river bank. I thought they checked the river due to the proximity of the home to the river. I don't have working computer speakers so could have missed the info in a video. Did LE or MSM say the dogs tracked her to the river bank? :(

Yes, sadly this was reported on this video .........

JeannieC
09-25-2011, 01:06 AM
Yes one dog lead them to the river. A dive team went in but it got too dark. They plan to resume the search in the morning.

elepher50
09-25-2011, 01:10 AM
My but Aliayah looks like she is very unhappy in her pictures. Do we know anything about her homelife? Meaning does she live with her mother and father. Who lives in her home and was all okay?

Sharedspirit
09-25-2011, 01:10 AM

Not sure if it's in the video but the text says where police told the reporter about the dog tracking her scent to the river bank.

Your welcome cubby. Wish I could be there searching myself. But looks like they have a good search & rescue team in place.

deelytful1
09-25-2011, 01:13 AM
My but Aliayah looks like she is very unhappy in her pictures. Do we know anything about her homelife? Meaning does she live with her mother and father. Who lives in her home and was all okay?

We've heard absolutely NOTHING of her family, etc... no MSM mention of her mother, siblings, etc....

Cubby
09-25-2011, 01:23 AM
Upthread the mods said no sleuthing family members until they are named in the media. So far no one in Aliayah's family has been named.

elepher50
09-25-2011, 01:23 AM
Endangered Missing:

Melanie
09-25-2011, 01:25 AM
Upthread the mods said no sleuthing family members until they are named in the media. So far no one in Aliayah's family has been named.

can we name mommy? If not, I'll delete my post. Thanks!

Nevermind - I already did ;)

Mel

elepher50
09-25-2011, 01:27 AM

Mel

No mommy nor daddy can be named as they have not been named in MSM.

Cubby
09-25-2011, 01:27 AM

Mel

I'm just going by what the mods said earlier. No sleuthing family until they are named in the media. I'd think a birth announcement which mentions the victim would be ok, but I am no longer mod'ng so I would check with the mods to be 100% certain. hth

elepher50
09-25-2011, 01:28 AM

I removed my post - wish they would name the family in MSM.

Cubby
09-25-2011, 01:30 AM
Very sad about hearing one of the search dogs led them to the river. Why is it always the river?

I know this is wishful thinking, but I do hope Mom let them know if she and the youngest who have not yet started school had recently visted the river.

Praying for a miracle and hoping Aliayah comes home safely soon.

Melanie
09-25-2011, 01:36 AM
No mommy nor daddy can be named as they have not been named in MSM.

I should know better - thank you. It's not often a child so young goes missing without a parent throwing themselves in front of a microphone begging for his/her return. I'm really quite suprised the parents have not been named or appeared in public yet.

Thanks again --

Mel

Cubby
09-25-2011, 01:41 AM
What leads me to believe family hasn't named in the media is their first thoughts were the river.

I can also see a house full of young 'uns with some old enough to mind the littler ones while Mom is doing something else in another area of the home. A routine of sorts, but perhaps when everyone woke they assumed little Aliayah was watching tv with the other, or playing a game with the other... and it might have been a little while before she was noticed missing.

ETA: Kids are known to be tricksters too. there are times I have to let my son know I'm serious about something and not to kid with me. I'm not saying that is the case here, just something I can imagine.

Peazzzer
09-25-2011, 01:46 AM
Sharedspirit, hi and thank you. I was raised upriver in the Ohio Valley. Does rt 79 go towards the Ohio side?I cant do too much on my moldy mobile phone. Whats the major job source there..military? 5 kids is alot, last time I was there it was in a horrible recession. Youns have had alot of rain too? If that river is over 6ft its running fast? poor little baby girl!

cluciano63
09-25-2011, 01:49 AM
It doesn't seem possible that this can have a good ending...it seems she should have been found in a 7-8 hour search or however long it was...

Cubby
09-25-2011, 01:51 AM
It doesn't seem possible that this can have a good ending...it seems she should have been found in a 7-8 hour search or however long it was...

Sadly I am thinking along the same lines. And it breaks my heart for her family.

deelytful1
09-25-2011, 02:01 AM
https://www.facebook.com/find.aliayah?sk=wall
Aliayah's FB page

momtective
09-25-2011, 02:03 AM
Checking in every little bit hoping for news, but I see thee is none. What a scary night this will be for Aliayah's family.

annalyzer
09-25-2011, 02:16 AM
Sharedspirit, hi and thank you. I was raised upriver in the Ohio Valley. Does rt 79 go towards the Ohio side?I cant do too much on my moldy mobile phone. Whats the major job source there..military? 5 kids is alot, last time I was there it was in a horrible recession. Youns have had alot of rain too? If that river is over 6ft its running fast? poor little baby girl!

parkersburg wv here

Melanie
09-25-2011, 02:55 AM
What leads me to believe family hasn't named in the media is their first thoughts were the river.

I can also see a house full of young 'uns with some old enough to mind the littler ones while Mom is doing something else in another area of the home. A routine of sorts, but perhaps when everyone woke they assumed little Aliayah was watching tv with the other, or playing a game with the other... and it might have been a little while before she was noticed missing.

ETA: Kids are known to be tricksters too. there are times I have to let my son know I'm serious about something and not to kid with me. I'm not saying that is the case here, just something I can imagine.

BBM - that's very true. I know that she has 2 older girls that are old enough to have FB accounts (will not name names here).

She's a young mom herself, and perhaps assumed one of the older girls was taking care of the little one. She has a 9/10 month old baby, and she could have very well been busy with him, or the other toddler. I can definitely see that happening.

I only have one child, and am suprised at how busy he keeps me. Then again - he's a teen now, which I find much more difficult then caring for a baby ;)

It's been 17 hours now and I'm getting very nervous. The search in the lake was suspended several hours ago, and searching land/water will resume in the morning.

Where is this child!!

Mel

Melanie
09-25-2011, 03:09 AM
The FB page for Aliayah Lunsford (3): Missing from Weston, West Virginia since 09/24/2011 is asking people to send in photos of Aliayah. I noticed another piccie of her (similar, but at a different angle).

Poor little girl - she doesn't look happy at all. I pray this isn't a representation of what life is like for her.

Mel

cluciano63
09-25-2011, 04:17 AM
I wouldn't think the older kids would have been up at 6:30AM on a Saturday...but I imagine the little ones might be. Who saw her?? And where??

Melanie
09-25-2011, 05:02 AM
I wouldn't think the older kids would have been up at 6:30AM on a Saturday...but I imagine the little ones might be. Who saw her?? And where??

Good point. if the 2 older girls were sleeping, that leaves us with a toddler (3rd child born and I don't know the age - just guessing). The youngest of the 5 is about 10 months old.

I really hope someone was up at that hour. And how did they lock doors, etc. Any sign of forced entry? do they have a dog?

So many questions.

Mel

SnoopyDoobyDoo
09-25-2011, 05:02 AM
Just a thought on being seen at 6:30. If she woke up and went to see her parents, that's early enough (depending on the family's schedule) that they might have sent her back to bed. She could have left the room, parents thinking to go back to the bedroom, and went out the front door instead. If the parents were half asleep and/or the door wasn't very loud, they likely wouldn't have noticed.

She has very soulful eyes. It's a shame there aren't better pictures, but that isn't necessarily indicative of anything- my kids have gone through stages where they refuse to smile for the camera (the younger child has a pout face that makes everybody melt all over her, so she pulls that out for pictures), refusing to have their picture taken, had only pictures not media friendly taken (the nudist stage), or I haven't taken pictures because the camera or cord/card reader was broken/lost, there weren't any big events that I absolutely had to capture, or I haven't gotten around to transferring off the pictures (see card reader issues.) The missing teeth might be worrisome, or might be from bad genetics (unlikely, but my younger-than-Aaliyah child has at least one noticeale hole despite brushing her teeth constantly; we won't know until her dentist appoinment whether it's a chip from her... adventurish nature, or if she's inherited her father's terrible teeth) or an accident. I don't know- something about the dogs following her scent to the river makes me think it was an accident. That doesn't preclude the timeline being suspicious or that there might have been abuse or unhappiness in the household (which I hate to speculate on without any evidence except pictures that could have been taken in my house, so that is all I'll say on the topic), but my gut feeling is she wandered away.

wenc
09-25-2011, 08:12 AM
I hope I can shed some light on the area here. I lived in Bendale and moved less than a mile down the road. My child's school bus stop is in front of the Armory. I walk my dog through the neighborhood often. First, Bendale is not a town, but a neighborhood of Weston. It is very small. I don't go Dennison, but walk the roads on either side. Most of the houses on Dennison, their backyards go out to the next street over. Then, the houses that front the next street, their backyard is on the river. The road at the end has a one-lane wooden bridge that crosses the river with no railing. She would not have far to go to get to the river. The river does curve around and runs up the other side of Hwy 19, so yes Bendale is more or less surrounded by it. The story from one of the neighbors that went to help search is the mother woke up at 6 and Aliayah was still asleep. When mom woke up again, the door was open and she was gone. The family has only been living there for about a month. One of my fellow bus parents that lives on the same street said they were not very sociable. He also said he was up at 6 and did not see Aliayah. The timing of everything is what throws me off, makes me wonder when the authorities were notified. It was late morning or noon when the neighbor went to help search. She heard about it from someone else who has a scanner. They had dogs, but didn't bring the bloodhounds in until 2:30 or 3. The sheriff also lives in the neighborhood, he should know the area very well.

Cubby
09-25-2011, 08:21 AM
Welcome to WS wenc

:welcome:

momtective
09-25-2011, 08:25 AM
:welcome: Wenc and thank you so much for the local information. I've walked around on google maps and I would think with the Seven-11 being right there that someone would have seen a toddler crossing a major road. Six-thirtyish on a weekday morning I would think there would be a decent amount of traffic with people going to or from work. Main St. is the main thoroughfare correct?
The story of Aliayah missing when her parents awoke just doesn't jell with me. I'm thinking there is much more to the story and I don't think it's going to end well at all.
Any word at all on Mom' demeanor or on exactly who lives in the house?

~n/t~
09-25-2011, 08:26 AM
Were the doors left unlocked? Did they have a sliding patio door that was left open? Not sure about WV but here 6:30 is still quite dark out. Sunrise is just around that time and depending on the weather. If sunny, cloudy, etc.

Would a 3 year old venture outside in the dark?

OK found surise and sunset for WV. Sunrise would've been at 7:17 when she went missing.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=62

Cubby
09-25-2011, 08:44 AM
She went missing Saturday morning, so there was probably not much traffic at 6:30am on a Saturday.

I wish we knew what time everyone woke. It would answer some of these questions.

wenc
09-25-2011, 08:49 AM
Yes, Hwy 19 is the main road in and out. At this time, the end that goes to downtown Weston is closed for construction. The only way to downtown is one narrow road across the river (and it is closed while the school buses run) and I-79, so there is much less traffic than usual, but still quite a bit. I-79 runs near there too, but you have to go up a big steep hill to get to it. The river is deep in some spots and very shallow in others. Very muddy bottom, you would sink to your knees if you stepped in it. No water moccasins around here, mostly copperheads and timber rattlers are the poisonous ones. The river does have rather large carp. The city water is by the river on Hwy 19. There's a little dam that goes across the river, maybe 3 or 4 feet high, but the water is swift there. The wooden bridge I mentioned earlier is what scares me. It would be very east to fall off that. I did find a birth announcement for one of the younger children. I do not think the older children live with them. They may have a different mother. The armory is the bus stop for the area, so if she had older children, they would catch the bus there. There are a couple of older girls that catch the bus there that I haven't met yet, so they could belong to her.

SinKittyVixen
09-25-2011, 09:45 AM
Was hoping to hear lil Aliayah had been found by now. Shes only a a baby. Shes weighing heavily on my mind.. poor lil thing..Im praying you are safe..

elepher50
09-25-2011, 09:52 AM
Yes, Hwy 19 is the main road in and out. At this time, the end that goes to downtown Weston is closed for construction. The only way to downtown is one narrow road across the river (and it is closed while the school buses run) and I-79, so there is much less traffic than usual, but still quite a bit. I-79 runs near there too, but you have to go up a big steep hill to get to it. The river is deep in some spots and very shallow in others. Very muddy bottom, you would sink to your knees if you stepped in it. No water moccasins around here, mostly copperheads and timber rattlers are the poisonous ones. The river does have rather large carp. The city water is by the river on Hwy 19. There's a little dam that goes across the river, maybe 3 or 4 feet high, but the water is swift there. The wooden bridge I mentioned earlier is what scares me. It would be very east to fall off that. I did find a birth announcement for one of the younger children. I do not think the older children live with them. They may have a different mother. The armory is the bus stop for the area, so if she had older children, they would catch the bus there. There are a couple of older girls that catch the bus there that I haven't met yet, so they could belong to her.

Has the search restarted yet for today and are any volunteer search teams being assembled? Has there been any support centres (food/water) setup for the searchers. Is there a command centre setup?

Lots of questions ....sorry. Just want to know that all that can be done is being done to find this precious little baby.

elepher50
09-25-2011, 09:56 AM
On the "find Aliayah facebook page" there is reference to Aliayah case". Now that just takes my mind back to the words used for the recent search for Kerra W. Why is it being referred to as a case instead of words like missing/endangered missing.

Just being a bit on the jaded side lately and shouldn't pay so much attention to choice of words no doubt.

wenc
09-25-2011, 10:09 AM
There are people out searching this morning. I saw some men putting a boat in the river behind my house earlier and going back up the river. My neighbor and I are going to go joint the search in a little while. She said there are 3 young children that live in the house and the mom. An ambulance is there at the ready in case they find her.

dsntslp
09-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Elpher,
I think it may be just the wording of the author.
I refer to all of them as "cases" as well from the moment they start.

SinKittyVixen
09-25-2011, 10:23 AM
There are people out searching this morning. I saw some men putting a boat in the river behind my house earlier and going back up the river. My neighbor and I are going to go joint the search in a little while. She said there are 3 young children that live in the house and the mom. An ambulance is there at the ready in case they find her.

Good Luck, Im praying she just wandered off and shes chilly under a tree somewhere, waiting to be rescued.. Im thinking of her..

Cubby
09-25-2011, 10:24 AM

Thank you wenc. I think this may rule out the possibility the older siblings could have been watching over her in the am before the parents woke. Or provided LE with information which may assist the case/search.

I had thought it would be difficult for a parent to get out of the house with older siblings being around. Now I am back on the fence.... It really wouldn't be hard for a parent to leave too small ones sleeping in a crib or in a play pen for short period of time. I am not saying that is the case with this situation, or that it is even my theory. Too little information is available right now and I'm still finding myself wondering if the dogs could have tracked her from a previous walk with mom and the other younger siblings. I just don't know......

Just praying for a miracle here.

badhorsie
09-25-2011, 10:30 AM
I am also praying for a miracle. I wish that, just once, we could all be wrong and the child found safe and well

momtective
09-25-2011, 10:35 AM
She went missing Saturday morning, so there was probably not much traffic at 6:30am on a Saturday.

I wish we knew what time everyone woke. It would answer some of these questions.

:doh: Sorry, I work nights so my days are always off. Saturday morning there probably wouldn't have been much traffic...I just wish they would find her. Now!

~n/t~
09-25-2011, 10:42 AM

What about a dad?

peeples
09-25-2011, 12:05 PM

Her ears are pierced and it's her top 4 teeth that are missing, I had seen it before stated it was the middle two on top and bottom.

Nothing else new that i can find

~n/t~
09-25-2011, 12:15 PM
I think in all my history following missing children cases, this is the first with so little information.

Shadow205
09-25-2011, 12:30 PM

photo here

From the above link:

"police say one dog lead them down the street and near the banks of the West Fork River.

A professional dive team was called in and searched the water for hours. The crew ceased searching around 11 p.m. Saturday evening, and will resume Sunday morning.
"

There seems to be so much sadness in her eyes. Prayers for this little girl.

cluciano63
09-25-2011, 12:34 PM
If LE really believes she got outside on her own and possibly ended up in the river, I guess there is really not much need to provide additional info about the family, her homelife, or whatever. The thing is just to find her.

~n/t~
09-25-2011, 12:52 PM
If LE really believes she got outside on her own and possibly ended up in the river, I guess there is really not much need to provide additional info about the family, her homelife, or whatever. The thing is just to find her.

They thought the same thing with Kienan Hebert up here in BC. His parents thought he had wandered off but he didn't. He was abducted. Thankfully found safe and well.

Unless the doors were left open, I just don't see a 3 year old venturing off on her own at 6 am when it's still dark out. AND if the doors were left unlocked or open, what makes them believe she wandered off? What if someone saw the door open, entered and grabbed her?

cluciano63
09-25-2011, 12:53 PM
They thought the same thing with Kienan Hebert up here in BC. His parents thought he had wandered off but he didn't. He was abducted. Thankfully found safe and well.

Unless the doors were left open, I just don't see a 3 year old venturing off on her own at 6 am when it's still dark out. AND if the doors were left unlocked or open, what makes them believe she wandered off? What if someone saw the door open, entered and grabbed her?

It's possible, but I guess they are taking the dog leading them to the river seriously, at least perhaps for a lack of anything else to go on.

~n/t~
09-25-2011, 01:00 PM
This case reminds me of the Joshua Davis Jr case. Again, in that case, family and LE believed he wandered off in cold dark night. 7 months later, he's still missing.

Joshua is 2 years old.

~n/t~
09-25-2011, 01:01 PM
It's possible, but I guess they are taking the dog leading them to the river seriously, at least perhaps for a lack of anything else to go on.

Well let's hope they're doing a parallel investigation before it's too late.

cluciano63
09-25-2011, 01:18 PM
Well let's hope they're doing a parallel investigation before it's too late.

I fear it is probably already too late, for the child anyway.

elepher50
09-25-2011, 01:26 PM
The Bendale Church is serving as a staging area for volunteers, according to reports.

http://www.centralwestvirginian.net/

elepher50
09-25-2011, 01:32 PM
The girl, identified as Aliayah Lunsford, was last seen wearing her “Dora the Explorer” pajamas near her family’s home in Bendale early Saturday morning.

http://www.gilmerfreepress.net/index.php/site/C119/

Could be just the reporting but this is the first time that it has been reported that she was seen near her family home.

deelytful1
09-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Woke up with Aliayah on my mind today.
I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst.. sigh :(
n~t asked about a dad. I hope the dad didn't live in the home and came and took her because he didn't like how she was being treated.
I fear that would be the best case scenario right now :(

elepher50
09-25-2011, 01:41 PM
Bendale United Methodist Church on the map:

Shadow205
09-25-2011, 02:01 PM

Does anyone know where the residence is in comparison to the church on the map. I would think it would be very close by.

deelytful1
09-25-2011, 02:22 PM

Is all that greenish area that forms a loop around the town, a river?
Is the whole town surrounded by a river?
:(

Melanie
09-25-2011, 02:25 PM

Hi there - thank you for the info! It's helpful to try to understand this rural area!

If you saw the same birth announcement I did, it stated the child was the 5th child born to the mother. I sure wish the media would release her name so we could have an open discussion :(

I also noticed a bio-dad wasn't listed on the announcement (only mom and her mother). It's my understanding that Aliayah has 2 older siblings and 2 younger siblings. Of course I'm not sure they all live in the same home.

Here it is almost noon and no updates - very frustrating.

Thanks again --

Mel

elepher50
09-25-2011, 02:31 PM
Does anyone know where the residence is in comparison to the church on the map. I would think it would be very close by.

As near as I can tell she is missing from the Dennison St area. Not very far from the search staging area:

elepher50
09-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Is all that greenish area that forms a loop around the town, a river?
Is the whole town surrounded by a river?
:(

Yes it is .................. :banghead:

TGIRecovered
09-25-2011, 02:37 PM
http://www.gilmerfreepress.net/index.php/site/C119/

Could be just the reporting but this is the first time that it has been reported that she was seen near her family home.

I posted a comment on the article, asking for clarification on the last sighting. There were no other comments there yet, and the message I got said that mine is awaiting approval.

wfgodot
09-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Of the river....
The West Fork has a low gradient and is slow-moving throughout its course. (Wiki (http://bit.ly/rgpV1C))

elepher50
09-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Missing 3 year old form 49 Dennison St Weston, WV. Female age 3 last seen this morning (SATURDAY) 9/24/11 shoulder length brown hair with brown eyes. Wearing purple pajama pants and a pink sweat shirt and no shoes. If seen please contact Lewis County 911. www.missingkids.com
Alaiyah Lunsford from Weston WV

https://www.facebook.com/WLOXTV

elepher50
09-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Dennison Street and how close the river is:

TGIRecovered
09-25-2011, 02:50 PM
About the dogs tracking to the river...

We have learned from our wonderful experts here at WS that SAR dogs' ability to accurately and reliably track a child depends greatly upon the type of traing each dog recieves. Some are very well trained, some are not.

I have seen LE in other missing child cases using dogs which have been trained for game hunting or prison dogs, to look for lost children or buried remains. Sometimes they mistakenly assume that all tracking dogs are good for all purposes.

I respect the work that searchers are doing in this case, but I still hold out hope that this little girl might not be in the river. After all, the dogs were going to end up at the river no matter which way they went, since the river encircles the town.

I am afraid that we may be dealing with a child who has been gone longer than what has been reported to police. I hope that she is alive and with someone who won't hurt her, even though it's a long shot.

Shadow205
09-25-2011, 03:03 PM
Dennison Street and how close the river is:

Looks like it would not be to far for a three year old to wander to the river. I didn't realize that the river was that big.

elepher50
09-25-2011, 03:04 PM
About the dogs tracking to the river...

We have learned from our wonderful experts here at WS that SAR dogs' ability to accurately and reliably track a child depends greatly upon the type of traing each dog recieves. Some are very well trained, some are not.

I have seen LE in other missing child cases using dogs which have been trained for game hunting or prison dogs, to look for lost children or buried remains. Sometimes they mistakenly assume that all tracking dogs are good for all purposes.

I respect the work that searchers are doing in this case, but I still hold out hope that this little girl might not be in the river. After all, the dogs were going to end up at the river no matter which way they went, since the river encircles the town.

I am afraid that we may be dealing with a child who has been gone longer than what has been reported to police. I hope that she is alive and with someone who won't hurt her, even though it's a long shot.

My hope as well that she is with someone who is looking after her.

Shadow205
09-25-2011, 03:06 PM
I hate to bring it up but it must be considered.

http://www.wvstatepolice.com/sexoff/WebSearchAction_r09.cfm

momtective
09-25-2011, 03:19 PM
I've never seen such a lack of information on a missing child and I'm just wondering if the lack of information is a direct result of the Casey Anthony case and the role social media played in that case. Just a thought...

Kelly Faraday
09-25-2011, 03:24 PM
Someone who says she is the little girl's aunt is on another forum. Could we invite her to here?

Thanks

Kelly

nurselady
09-25-2011, 03:24 PM
My hubby is from Weston,it is a small friendly town..With water running thru it everywhere.What concerns me is the color of the water..It is very muddy,especially after a rain.If she is in the water,it would be impossible to see her until she surfaced...

cluciano63
09-25-2011, 03:25 PM
I've never seen such a lack of information on a missing child and I'm just wondering if the lack of information is a direct result of the Casey Anthony case and the role social media played in that case. Just a thought...

I don't think so. That case had it owns "special appeal" to the masses. Many children wander off or end up being murdered by a parent and it never makes the news, that has always been the case, unfortunately.

momtective
09-25-2011, 03:26 PM
New members are always welcome at WS. I think family members of victims need to be verified by Tricia though.

Kelly Faraday
09-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Please do !!

Not too sure about this other site. I've never seen before yesterday. The name is right (I think) and there is a photo of her. I find it hard to believe she found this other site but not WS.

Maybe someone can join that forum and invite her. It couldn't hurt. If she isn't who she claims to be at least we tried...

Kelly

feistygurl
09-25-2011, 03:33 PM
My hubby is from Weston,it is a small friendly town..With water running thru it everywhere.What concerns me is the color of the water..It is very muddy,especially after a rain.If she is in the water,it would be impossible to see her until she surfaced...

Hey Nurse I remember you telling us that when your MIL passed away. I am about 100 miles from there. I sure hope they find her today and all is well

Cubby
09-25-2011, 03:35 PM
It is against TOS to invite family to join here. they can approach us, we can not approach them.

There is a post about this from Tricia. Let me see if I can find it and link it.

feistygurl
09-25-2011, 03:35 PM
There was a big college football game yesterday in Morgantown which is like 50 miles from Weston. Maybe today there will be more coverage, because all we heard on the news yesterday was about the darn game. Come on media give this baby some coverage.

Kelly Faraday
09-25-2011, 03:37 PM
It is against TOS to invite family to join here. they can approach us, we can not approach them.

There is a post about this from Tricia. Let me see if I can find it and link it.

Thanks.

Didn't know that...

K.

Cubby
09-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Here is a link to the post from Tricia I mentioned above.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Contacting Crime Victim Family Members - NOT ALLOWED

Snippets from above post.

Contacting Crime Victim Family Members - NOT ALLOWED

Please let me make one thing as clear as I can, under NO circumstances is anyone allowed to contact ANYONE in a case and ask them to come to Websleuths, ask them if you can do their chart for them, tell them about Websleuths, or in any way mention Websleuths.

Also if anyone contacts a family and uses the Websleuths name without permission will face swift action.

Please contact Tricia if anyone has any questions.

nurselady
09-25-2011, 03:45 PM

Thanks Cubby,I should have known this !!

nurselady
09-25-2011, 03:48 PM
Not too sure about this other site. I've never seen before yesterday. The name is right (I think) and there is a photo of her. I find it hard to believe she found this other site but not WS.

Maybe someone can join that forum and invite her. It couldn't hurt. If she isn't who she claims to be at least we tried...

KellyI know what you mean,I tend to stay away from most other sites,Only post at one other than here!!!

nurselady
09-25-2011, 03:51 PM
Hey Nurse I remember you telling us that when your MIL passed away. I am about 100 miles from there. I sure hope they find her today and all is well

Thanks Feistygurl...Hubby is sick today..Trying to talk him into calling some relatives..He thinks I am nuts as usual,but I am still trying !!!

Cubby
09-25-2011, 03:52 PM
thanks guys. I just did not want to see anyone get in trouble.

nurselady
09-25-2011, 03:56 PM
Thanks.

Didn't know that...

K.I didn't either,I deleted my message but you used it in a quote,so you might want to delete it also!!!!Thanks

nurselady
09-25-2011, 03:59 PM
There was a big college football game yesterday in Morgantown which is like 50 miles from Weston. Maybe today there will be more coverage, because all we heard on the news yesterday was about the darn game. Come on media give this baby some coverage.

That is all I heard in my house also..WV fans are something else !!!