PDA

View Full Version : PA PA - Debra Lynne Makel, 8, murdered in Rices Landing, 5 October 1973

Doyle
10-13-2003, 10:10 AM
30 years after a little girl's murder, memories still raw
http://www.post-gazette.com/localnews/20031012unsolved1012p1.asp

Richard
06-18-2010, 09:53 AM
30 years after a little girl's murder, memories still raw
http://www.post-gazette.com/localnews/20031012unsolved1012p1.asp

Bumping this case up. It was origionally posted in 2003.

It should probably be in the Cold Case files, since the little girl was found two days after she was abducted and murdered. Her murderer (as of 2003 at least) had not been identified.

Does anyone have any updates on this case?

Kat
06-21-2010, 05:39 PM
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2202&dat=19801008&id=hpkyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ZugFAAAAIBAJ&pg=6466,3137885

an article from 1980. I couldn't find anything else Doyle but I haven't dug very deep yet.

Kat
06-24-2010, 03:26 AM
Article dated 09 Oct 1973

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=iRIrAAAAIBAJ&sjid=oJoFAAAAIBAJ&pg=6836,4880879&dq=debra-makel&hl=en

Kat
06-24-2010, 03:46 AM
10 OCT 1973

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=CgkcAAAAIBAJ&sjid=AlUEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5488,3509314&dq=makel&hl=en

16 OCT 1973

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=OV4cAAAAIBAJ&sjid=g1QEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7240,48099&dq=debbie-makel&hl=en

27 JAN 1974 (this give details of crime, very interesting read, I'd like to see what other's think about the "facts" that have been reported. Picture of her home as well and bus stop, and where grave was found. Good article)

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=62cqAAAAIBAJ&sjid=KVUEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7005,3684633&dq=debbie-makel&hl=en

26 OCT 1973

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=h-INAAAAIBAJ&sjid=-2wDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7169,3793368&dq=debbie-makel&hl=en

Article gives more description of search, a picture of distance between Debbie's house and where her body was found.

Kat
06-24-2010, 04:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTW8W2O4Jk0&feature=player_embedded

A local man who has gone to the site she was found at and videotaped the area in 2009

chaddylex
06-25-2010, 01:04 PM
I have never heard of this case and Rices Landing is only about an hour from where I live. I imagine one reason being that I have never heard of this before is that Debra was murdered before I was born.. How sad that it hasn't been solved after all these years.

Wonder if they have done a DNA test lately? The last known article is from 2003... more people could be in the system now.

ilovekitties
08-18-2010, 09:32 AM
I just think its sad that people in the town are not being helpful by talking about the case. I figured the neighbors would try to support the family (especially if they still live in the area) by helping to find the killer. From the articles I read, it definitely sounds as if her body was moved from saturday night when the area was searched to sunday when her body was found. I also think it's likely that it was someone she knew, someone who was a local. I would even go so far as to say it could be someone in her family - maybe an extended family member like an uncle or cousin. That could be why the dogs didn't bark (because they knew the person) and why the cellar door was unlocked (perhaps they had a key). I also think it's odd that her cousins (26 and 16 year olds at the time) found her in a spot that was searched the night before, and that they said a "vision" led them to her. It's just very sad for the family to have no answers after all this time. I hope they find out what happened one day.

Debbie Miller
08-18-2010, 05:34 PM
I just think its sad that people in the town are not being helpful by talking about the case. I figured the neighbors would try to support the family (especially if they still live in the area) by helping to find the killer. From the articles I read, it definitely sounds as if her body was moved from saturday night when the area was searched to sunday when her body was found. I also think it's likely that it was someone she knew, someone who was a local. I would even go so far as to say it could be someone in her family - maybe an extended family member like an uncle or cousin. That could be why the dogs didn't bark (because they knew the person) and why the cellar door was unlocked (perhaps they had a key). I also think it's odd that her cousins (26 and 16 year olds at the time) found her in a spot that was searched the night before, and that they said a "vision" led them to her. It's just very sad for the family to have no answers after all this time. I hope they find out what happened one day.

I agree with your statement - I wouldn't doubt that this was someone who helped searched for her and they went to that funeral. With the fact that the dogs didn't bark- I am not sure about the hound breed that is mentioned but if the dogs knew the person then chances are they wouldn't bark. This person went undetected due to living in that community, an outsider would have stuck out. This happened in the daytime and that in itself says something. It would seem Debbie knew the person, and they lured her out the door described with something that got her attention and curiousity.

I wouldn't rule out a pyschopath or sociopath type person- they kept some of Debbie's belongings (clothes and shoes) kind of a trophy for what they did. It is very possible that this person moved to another area whether in or out of state.

The shallow grave ( I can't read the article in full) the way it is loading from the link, now if she was covered ( maybe this person is ashamed of what they did.)

Did they ever get a clue as to where the cord came from.

SunnieRN
08-22-2010, 09:38 PM
It could be that if she were killed in another location, that the shoes, underwear and purse were left there. I wonder if the neighbors were checked. I really can;t imagine that her family stayed there, in the same house, not knowing who was responsible. This poor family.

tierneysain
08-25-2010, 11:35 AM
Long Time Lurker on this site, I am so proud of everyone on here and I wish there was something I could contribute. I will just keep reading and learning from y'all. This case is so sad, and maybe if someone kept her in their car or house they would have all kinds of evidence you see on these forensic shows. These are sad and tearful happenings.

ilovekitties
08-25-2010, 01:09 PM
I don't think they ever figured out where the cord came from that was used to strangle her. One of the police officers said that so many people who were searching for her went through the house and potentail crime scene, that a lot of evidence was probably compromised. Search dogs were also in the area prior to when she was found, and no scent of her was ever detected. This suggests that she wasn't there the first time and was moved from another location. Where that was is anyone's guess. Another article mentioned how they were trying to get some DNA samples from Debbie's clothes. Unless something comes of that or someone steps forward with new information, it will be tough to crack this case.

:+:MrTT:+:
08-31-2010, 09:12 PM
I thought at first the brothers seen her coming up the drive, as they were standing close by the house...But now i see, from another article, that they seen her get off the bus, and start walking towards the house down the road. and a neighbor seen her reach the house, and the books inside tells us she did at least reach the inside of the home.
Like the rest of us, i am waiting on that DNA, from the 2003 article. To see if they at least have a profile, even though no match perhaps.
I have my suspicions, like everyone else, but i really like to know about the possible DNA profile. The killer or killers could have been waiting and watching her from a spot close to the house. As she came up the drive. Not serial killing, but local.
they may have known each other. And probably knew she would be riding the bus, and getting home before the boys. She wasn't killed at the house. But taken nearby, walking distance. and killed there, and her shoes, and other items left there.
She could have even left the house, and just walked and ran with someone to the place she was murdered at, as if to go and see something, lead there without a struggle..I am not leaning towards the body was put there, after the area was searched, but the old timer as they called him, is pretty darn sure she was not there when they fist searched, but was there after. And i pretty much believe him at this point. It could have been that way, put her there afterward s, the first search. he killer may have not known it had already been searched, and wanted to be involved in finding her.
Not taken her far away, but leaving her close by her house, may indicate someone at the time could not drive, had no transportation other then a bicycle. like a youngster at the time. A sex/thrill kill perhaps.

ALL MOO AND SPECULATION ON MY PART, NOTHING FACTUAL OR FOR CERTAIN UNLESS OTHER WISE KNOWN TO BE.

trishmcnary
09-14-2010, 06:54 AM
I was looking up Debras name a few days ago see we were best friends when we where little her death has affected me all my life.That is how i found this site. I think she is the reason Im so interrested in cold cases and in solved cold cases. I pray all the time to see her death solved.I wish I could do it but I would not know where to begin when I read what was on here I cried to see that site she was found at. See back then they tried so hard to protect us.from everything. They would pull us out of class talk to us we did not know what to tell them all they did was scare us and give us nightmares and send us to conseling. thank you all for the interest. I have always wanted to see someone pay for taking my best friend. The only thing I can do is remember and keep parying to some day have answers and on the 5th of oct im going with my 13 year old daughter who this winter lost her best friend to a house fire. To that site to take flowers. And to pray. Trishmcnary

ilovekitties
09-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Thanks for posting Trish. It must have been so hard to go through the death of your best friend when you were a little girl. I too had an experience when I was younger that shaped my interest in missing children and cold cases.

From reading different articles, I know the people in Rices Landing didn't like to talk about what happened, but do you think the townspeople had any ideas about who could have killed her, such as a local or just a drifter? Sometimes rumors swirl after something like this...everyone has their own idea of what could have happened.

09-14-2010, 10:42 PM
From 2003, the DNA....
If there was no match in the system, then i wonder whom they tried to match it with that was not in the system.
I like to know, if they asked or checked somehow the person whom had the vision, where the body was, and see if it was a match?
Anyone know

Kol
10-01-2010, 10:30 AM
I lived about a mile away from where Debbie lived. I was 7 years old when this happened and my father & uncle were in the search party. On Saturday they had searched and torn apart the brush pile she was hidden in. On Sunday morning she was found there, with the brush re-stacked on her body. The State Police came to our home with photo's of her body in the brush pile and re-questioned my father and uncle (who worked for the game commission) about the brush pile. It was horrible.
The people of Rices Landing know who did it. We'll just say they're not talking because they were told not to talk. I still live here, still live in the shadow of this murder, and people still won't tell what they know.

Richard
10-03-2010, 10:01 AM
Thanks to Doyle for posting this case back in 2003. And thanks to Websleuths moderators for bringing it to the Cold Case files after so many years of it being filed away.

There have been quite a few posts this year and a lot of interest and care in Debra's violent murder. It is quite possible that her case will be solved and her killer brought to justice yet, even though it has now been 37 years.

chiippertheripper
10-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Hi,Im Chip.That vid is from my blog.I'm still working on this story and have a ton of news clippings from the case I hope to scan and post.The 37th anniversry was the other day.I've gotten alot of feedback on this and continue to hear from folks who are both local and widespread who are interested in the case.I grew up in Rices Landing and it is a beatuiful,quiet little town.There,naturally,is a lot of speculation and hearsay,but many common theories...I'll keep ya all posted..

ilovekitties
10-19-2010, 09:36 AM
Can you share some of the common theories that have gone around Rices Landing about why Debra was murdered? From what I read, I always thought it might be a local person, someone who knew the family well. It's hard to believe the people in the town might know who did it and not say anything, especially if her family still lives in the area. I wish someone would help the family get answers and come forward with info. I'm sure if the people who know something were in the same situation as the Makels, they would want someone to come forward with info to help solve the murder of their child and give them some peace.

nousername
12-30-2010, 10:20 PM
When you think of the term "cover-up", one may think of the C.I.A, political scandals, etc. "Cover-up" is certainly one of the reasons this murder was never solved, and should you be thinking, " OMG!! There is absolutely ZERO chance that something like THIS could EVER happen in Rices Landing!!" Well, I would seriously urge you to reconsider that notion.

Its hard to convey convincing sentiment into a story like this, without the use of "names/relationships/personal histories", but,to name-drop here wouldnt be prudent, even though certain people have passed away.

"Misdirection", by certain parties was used prevalently, in everything surrounding this case. I cant even begin to stress the importance of the word "misdirection" in this case. As to the "misdirection" & facts of the hows, whos, whens & whys, well, thats for each individual to decide on their own.

A few things to consider:

* After concluding an exhaustive first day search of the wooded area behind the home of the girl, which ironically turned up no results of finding her, how many people inside of the search & investigation teams, actually knew the EXACT areas that were searched?

* Into the beginnings of the second day of searching, the girl`s body is found, exactly where many members of the search party looked, just the previous day. This alone weighs tremendously into the notion that, whomever planted her body knew exactly where they had already searched & as I believe, hoped they wouldnt comb over again. Atleast not in a timely manner, as to further add speculation to the overall timetable of the crime.

* How could the perpetrator(s) have known just WHEN to conveniently dispose of the body, right in the middle of an active murder-crime scene without being detected? I highly doubt they had ESP & an invisible cloaking device, therefore, "aid" was obviously provided.

* Dogs were used extensively through out the search, up until & after the finding of the body. No scent was apparently ever discovered. Strange. She obviously didnt just "land" there. Also, you must remember, she was found right along side of a dirt creekpath & there was no mention of ANY footprints being found. How is that possible? It wasnt possible. Footprints( & or scent, were OBVIOUSLY both found, yet, never mentioned) why?

* After the discovery of the body, which was found in the same place, that was combed over by searchers, just the day before with no results, the county coroner,whom was active with the case, was publicly quoted as saying,"I dont believe that."
Why would he publicly contradict all of the searchers who were actually THERE & said she was definitely NOT there, the previous day.Think about that.

* Who was in the best "position" to dump the body, in the night hours? It is mind-boggling to me, just how overlooked this is, by some. Your smack dab in the middle of a very smalltown, in the middle of a huge manhunt w/ the towns people being on high alert, due to fear, etc & yet, someone could just walk hundreds of yards into the woods, obviously w/ some sort of visual aid to see their way through the dark woods & no one sees anything. No cars parked along a road anywhere. Nothing. How is that possible? I would highly doubt the investigators just "shut-down" & turned a blind eye to everything, once the sun set for the night.

* All the created focus on the field behind the house during light hours & Why didnt anyone see anything? Misdirection. The inserted rumors of a murderous drifter, possible vendettas etc = Misdirection. Finding 2 persons who claimed to be "hunters" in the woods in the middle of the night, when it wasnt hunting season = Misdirection. Alot of what was printed in the paper, in my opinion. was mere background clutter.

* I always found it terribly disturbing that, some people "around" this case, were known/unknown "deviants", yet, it never was reported publicly via newspaper.You can bet your bottom $ that the investigators knew, though.

* Its a FACT that, investigators interviewed many locals about this crime ( notably a few "handicapped" people in the area) & while that may be protocol in any murder case, WHY would they pursue so many "dumb" avenues, when so many answers & REAL clues in the case, point towards everything else?

* This still "unsolved" open case "died" & vanished completely for 3 decades until some reporter came across a local, unsolved murder & decided to run a story. WHY wasnt it openly/publicly pursued for 3 decades? Why wasnt the body ever exhumed & tested w/ all the advanced DNA technology?

Conclusion:

Its a no-brainer that certain "people", amongst other parties involved in this case, KNOW damn well who was responsible & it just could not be proven, and/or were protecting a sadistic variety of certain "interests". I personally feel the truth would not be allowed to surface, by the powers that be, but,in the same breath, there is so much background scenery that I couldnt post here, thats paints such a more in-depth, broader scope of the case ( factual happenings surrounding the many involved in the case, that you would never read about in any newspaper) & without all that, its just pointless to paint a canvas of "mystery" & leave many to still speculate about so much, when theres really no reason to. I strongly feel that, every stone perse, was overturned & the truth of what really happened, was discovered, but, "hidden" as well.

The bottom line is this, if you were to speak with anyone who was actually "in the know", in terms of the real facts, aspects & investigation of this case, they`ll all recite to you the same "culprit". The REAL question is/was, WHY wasnt the assailant convicted? Some will say, they just couldnt prove it, others will say, "they" had friends in the right places & circumstances in their favor.

valogirl
02-21-2011, 10:35 PM
I live in the Jefferson area. Only about 5 miles from Rices Landing and found out about this case roughly 6 years ago. Went to CalU Library and did a little research about it. When I brought this murder up to some people in Rices Landing I was told not to pry too much. When I asked why I was told a story of a woman who was trying to get Unsolved Mysteries to look into the case. Well she received some messages on the machine that weren't polite. I guess one of them said something like... Don't go opening this can of worms or you may end up just like Debbie. Noone would tell me the name of the lady who received the messages, but I was told that another message said not to go to the police. Which she never did.

Now whether or not what I was told is factual, I don't know. What I do know is that this little girl died and it seems as though solving her murder just isn't at the top of anyones list and never has been. Sad case and I hope someday the truth finally comes out.

momtolil
02-22-2011, 04:22 PM
It's so nice to hear from little Debra's friends and neighbors. Thank you for your input. Your stories really put a living human angle to this case. I'm so sorry for your loss.

It seems with all of the time passed, people may be willing to talk again.
This case seems to be a cover up if I ever heard one.... But why??
It does not seem random. Could it have been some sort of retaliation against Debra's parents or a family member?

The craziest thing I've heard is that they knew where to find the body because of a "vision".... What?? Was this person ever investgated. It seems to me this must have been a small town police department without (I hate to say this) enough know how or experiance with real cases. Were they so much in their own little small town bubble that they thought they didn't have to follow the rules?

Sorry, but this case just angers me... What a beautiful little girl she was.
I hope there will be justice for her.

chiippertheripper
04-17-2011, 07:38 PM
We're working on putting together a short documentary on this case.Sifting through old news clippings now.I have several people to talk to...one who has intimate knowledge..stay tuned...

Kol
09-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Some disturbing evidence has surfaced which might put a face to Debra's murderer.
This is only a few days old, but some interesting things have come to light about that time frame in Rices Landing.
My friend is going to contact the State Police with what she has. Will post later.

belfastgirl73
09-06-2011, 06:12 PM
How sad that this little girl's killer has not been caught in all of these years. And to think that people know who it was, well...... I hope that these new findings can bring this killer to justice and soon. :twocents:

momtolil
09-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Some disturbing evidence has surfaced which might put a face to Debra's murderer.
This is only a few days old, but some interesting things have come to light about that time frame in Rices Landing.
My friend is going to contact the State Police with what she has. Will post later.

Can't wait to hear about this new evidence. This killer has gotten away with murder for long enough.

AuburnPoet
03-29-2012, 02:47 PM
What a waste of a life and a lack of true injustice. This poor girl is raped and murdered. As if that isn't bad enough people seem to KNOW who the perverted killer is but won't do a thing to bring him to justice. 30 years and no justice; just a child's cry echoing in the stillness and a crowd standing with their hands over their ears.

It makes me angry when a crime is covered up, whether by LE or by anyone who knows what happened. But especially a crime involving a child. How many more children were raped and/or murdered by the person who got by this time?! HOw many lives were ruined because of all the covering up that is being done?

You know in the large picture covering up for someone because they have money/name/fame or whatever the reason shouldn't trump truth. Look at the unsolved crimes from 100 yrs ago or longer. Some should have been solved at the time but clearly cover-up or plain negligence is involved or just a conspiricy of silence. Yet here we are 100 yrs later and what was the point? The life of the person/s still cries for justice but what seemed so important for silence then has faded into the past and means nothing now.

Just like in little Debra's case. Time is passing and soon it will be apparant that the reason for the coverup is gone....all the drama of the time-the frantic at-the-time cover-up now unnecessary and relegated to it's proper place. And still this little girl waits for Justice. How unfair for her and all the other/s who remain unsolved.
:banghead:
And especially unfair to the others this pervert attacked-and we all know there were more. If Justice had been done at the time, any that came after wouldn't have had to suffer.

I just get so sad to think of the waste it all is.......

MickieKaye
03-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Kol....Have you found anything out? Was anything new brought to light in Debbie's case? Debbie is my cousin and I would love to see this case finally get solved!

haunted
04-17-2012, 04:44 PM
You posted quite some time ago there was new and disturbing evidence being taken to the state police. What became of that? There has to be justice one day for Debbie Makel. I was just a little kid when this happened and it has stuck with me all of these years. The answer is out there. I hope what your friend presented was taken seriously if it is credible.

Robin Hood
04-20-2012, 11:02 AM
Debbie's grave

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Makel&GSbyrel=in&GSdyrel=in&GSob=n&GRid=21374624&

MickieKaye
09-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Anyone know how we can get folks moving on this case!! Unsolved Mysteries? 20/20? Anything!! Somebody out there has to NOT be afraid to solve this case!! :(

chiippertheripper
10-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Today has been 39 years since Debbie's body was found.We're planning on doing an extensive story on our blog with interviews and actual news articles.Stay tuned...

Ausgirl
10-08-2012, 12:19 AM
Tragic and fascinating case... I'd like to read your blog, chippertheripper.

I wonder what position the killer holds in the community, for that much fear and threat to be hovering over the case?

And also, I wonder what happened to the 'new evidence' - and why the poster of that information never got back to WS as they said they would.

Richard
10-10-2012, 11:15 AM
..."Cover-up" is certainly one of the reasons this murder was never solved...
The bottom line is this, if you were to speak with anyone who was actually "in the know", in terms of the real facts, aspects & investigation of this case, they`ll all recite to you the same "culprit". The REAL question is/was, WHY wasnt the assailant convicted? Some will say, they just couldnt prove it, others will say, "they" had friends in the right places & circumstances in their favor.

I am reminded of some old song lyrics:

... I remember Sam.
He was the villiage Idiot,
And though it seems a pitty it
Was so.
He liked to burn down houses just to watch the glow.
And nothing could be done,
Because he was the mayor's son. ...

From the song, "In My Home Town" by Tom Lehr

chiippertheripper
12-11-2012, 05:44 PM
I have started the preliminary timeline and have several people lined up to interview about the case for the short film we're doing.If anyone has insight or ideas they would like to share please email me at swpare@gmail.com. Any memories,photos or stories will be appreciated and credited if used (unless otherwise requested).We want to take a hard look at the case while maintaining respect toward those involved.

SunnieRN
12-12-2012, 01:07 AM
When you think of the term "cover-up", one may think of the C.I.A, political scandals, etc. "Cover-up" is certainly one of the reasons this murder was never solved, and should you be thinking, " OMG!! There is absolutely ZERO chance that something like THIS could EVER happen in Rices Landing!!" Well, I would seriously urge you to reconsider that notion.

Its hard to convey convincing sentiment into a story like this, without the use of "names/relationships/personal histories", but,to name-drop here wouldnt be prudent, even though certain people have passed away.

"Misdirection", by certain parties was used prevalently, in everything surrounding this case. I cant even begin to stress the importance of the word "misdirection" in this case. As to the "misdirection" & facts of the hows, whos, whens & whys, well, thats for each individual to decide on their own.

A few things to consider:

* After concluding an exhaustive first day search of the wooded area behind the home of the girl, which ironically turned up no results of finding her, how many people inside of the search & investigation teams, actually knew the EXACT areas that were searched?

* Into the beginnings of the second day of searching, the girl`s body is found, exactly where many members of the search party looked, just the previous day. This alone weighs tremendously into the notion that, whomever planted her body knew exactly where they had already searched & as I believe, hoped they wouldnt comb over again. Atleast not in a timely manner, as to further add speculation to the overall timetable of the crime.

* How could the perpetrator(s) have known just WHEN to conveniently dispose of the body, right in the middle of an active murder-crime scene without being detected? I highly doubt they had ESP & an invisible cloaking device, therefore, "aid" was obviously provided.

* Dogs were used extensively through out the search, up until & after the finding of the body. No scent was apparently ever discovered. Strange. She obviously didnt just "land" there. Also, you must remember, she was found right along side of a dirt creekpath & there was no mention of ANY footprints being found. How is that possible? It wasnt possible. Footprints( & or scent, were OBVIOUSLY both found, yet, never mentioned) why?

* After the discovery of the body, which was found in the same place, that was combed over by searchers, just the day before with no results, the county coroner,whom was active with the case, was publicly quoted as saying,"I dont believe that."
Why would he publicly contradict all of the searchers who were actually THERE & said she was definitely NOT there, the previous day.Think about that.

* Who was in the best "position" to dump the body, in the night hours? It is mind-boggling to me, just how overlooked this is, by some. Your smack dab in the middle of a very smalltown, in the middle of a huge manhunt w/ the towns people being on high alert, due to fear, etc & yet, someone could just walk hundreds of yards into the woods, obviously w/ some sort of visual aid to see their way through the dark woods & no one sees anything. No cars parked along a road anywhere. Nothing. How is that possible? I would highly doubt the investigators just "shut-down" & turned a blind eye to everything, once the sun set for the night.

* All the created focus on the field behind the house during light hours & Why didnt anyone see anything? Misdirection. The inserted rumors of a murderous drifter, possible vendettas etc = Misdirection. Finding 2 persons who claimed to be "hunters" in the woods in the middle of the night, when it wasnt hunting season = Misdirection. Alot of what was printed in the paper, in my opinion. was mere background clutter.

* I always found it terribly disturbing that, some people "around" this case, were known/unknown "deviants", yet, it never was reported publicly via newspaper.You can bet your bottom $ that the investigators knew, though.

* Its a FACT that, investigators interviewed many locals about this crime ( notably a few "handicapped" people in the area) & while that may be protocol in any murder case, WHY would they pursue so many "dumb" avenues, when so many answers & REAL clues in the case, point towards everything else?

* This still "unsolved" open case "died" & vanished completely for 3 decades until some reporter came across a local, unsolved murder & decided to run a story. WHY wasnt it openly/publicly pursued for 3 decades? Why wasnt the body ever exhumed & tested w/ all the advanced DNA technology?

Conclusion:

Its a no-brainer that certain "people", amongst other parties involved in this case, KNOW damn well who was responsible & it just could not be proven, and/or were protecting a sadistic variety of certain "interests". I personally feel the truth would not be allowed to surface, by the powers that be, but,in the same breath, there is so much background scenery that I couldnt post here, thats paints such a more in-depth, broader scope of the case ( factual happenings surrounding the many involved in the case, that you would never read about in any newspaper) & without all that, its just pointless to paint a canvas of "mystery" & leave many to still speculate about so much, when theres really no reason to. I strongly feel that, every stone perse, was overturned & the truth of what really happened, was discovered, but, "hidden" as well.

IMHO it is reprehensible that anyone would have ANY knowledge of this murder, or the murderer and not be willing to come forward to, make sure justice is served, as well as give peace to family members and friends.

If there has been a long term threat of violence against anyone willing to talk or who wanted the case investigated, I say to the people of the community, but for the grace of God, go you and I. What would you want and expect from friends and neighbors if it was your daughter that was killed in such a brutal fashion?

Justice seems to be hard to come by far too often in our country.

Robin Hood
02-05-2013, 04:27 PM

Updates ?

MickieKaye
03-25-2013, 05:50 PM
Clippertheripper!! Anxiously awaiting your short film and seeing what folks have to say! I'm soooo praying for some answers.

DimeDetective
03-29-2013, 07:31 PM
I'm in the middle of doing heavy research on this case right now. Are there any locals or members who knew Debra or her family currently here on WS?

chiippertheripper
07-22-2013, 12:38 AM
Sorry so long without a reply. Still working on the story and talking to some folks.I'm unaware of any 'new evidence' in the case and am in contact with folks who would have known about that,if it were the case.

At one point I considered dropping the story and moving on with other projects but I continue to get messages encouraging me to move forward and pursue it. There two parts to this mystery.1. Obviously,who is responsible and 2. Why have people been so reluctant to discuss it for so long.

I don't want to sound arrogant or 'in the know' but having grown up in the town, I know,pretty much everyone who was around then and more folks than I expected are willing to talk to me about it. As was mentioned before,the only people who would have a problem with me doing the story is someone with something to hide.

chiippertheripper
10-02-2013, 04:52 PM
I will have the article (or at least part 1) up this weekend. I have a few people to talk with yet,but there will be something posted by Sunday 10/6 at the latest.

chiippertheripper
10-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Part one is up...not much yet...I'm building on it.
http://swpare.blogspot.com/2013/10/40th-anniversary-of-debbie-makel-murder.html

bessie
10-06-2013, 03:04 AM
That's a nice opening chiipper. I can't wait for the next post.

websurfer
10-10-2013, 08:00 AM
http://www.observer-reporter.com/article/20131009/NEWS02/131009302#.UlaV6FBvPZg

Hope they ( L.E.) can match up the DNA they now have.
I also wonder if this murderer had something to do with other killings of children?
Maybe if any DNA is with similar cases they can connect the dots?
I do not know? But worth a try...:twocents:

10-11-2013, 10:21 PM
I will have the article (or at least part 1) up this weekend. I have a few people to talk with yet,but there will be something posted by Sunday 10/6 at the latest.

For the article. And I am looking forward to reading more from you on this case. Just a quick comment, will you be mentioning anything about the person whom had a vision on where she was found. I read about that up thread about three years ago. Just wondering if that statement was fact or fiction from your discovery...When I read that, I thought about the times back then, across the country psychic movies and books were very popular, the occult in general was being mentioned and discussed across the country with the likes of Ruth Montgomery and others. Jean Dixon to name another.

I am just guessing until you post your next segment. But knowing now they do have a profile of DNA but nothing to match it to, I am guessing this murder was not premeditated, but rather resulting from the girl threatening to tell, and she was killed to keep her quite.....Someone wanted to have some sexual contact with her, and she rebuffed his advances, and or did not want to do this and that and he forced her to do things, she threatened to tell afterwards and was killed for it.

I would guess, this person was young also, around the teenage years, anywhere from 14 to 19 at the time and knew her, and knew her family , the routines of the family etc etc and lived not far from her home..........Perhaps the reason the dogs didn't bark, if the neighbors remember correctly, is because after she got home she did her normal routine, bringing in the mail, perhaps the afternoon paper, putting her books up, not sure if there was an indication she changed cloths after school that day, but would like to know that.

She left the house to go play, away from the house like she did so many times before.
And while away from the house she met her killer. Away enough the dogs didn't bark.

Thats all I have, and wanted to once again to thank you for posting your article, it was very good, and created a nice image for one to read. You sharing some facts about the case, is more than we can expect from the LEOS, since it is a on going investigation.

They should find there killer with persons offering to give up there DNA sample. BUT, if a person of interest is deceased, such as the man whom had the vision, than a court order to exhumed the body for a DNA sample may be necessary to bring closure once and for all for the family.

December
10-11-2013, 10:42 PM
I think the killer was in the house when she got home.

She came in the front door and put down her coat, keys, and books.

The plums got moved... I think they must have been moved to an unusual place for there to be any reason to worry about them. Maybe as if someone was eating them?

The killer may have hidden from her and then pounced suddenly. He took her out the cellar door (it was left open because he just couldn't close it).

Or maybe he was waiting there for her and had some kind of excuse why he was there. I don't know what would be plausible. But, she was only eight. So, there is that to consider. He knew her brothers were coming, so he got her outside quickly.

moo
She had her coat when she came in, but not when she left. Was it now warm enough she would not need her coat if she wanted to go outside? This would help determine whether she left the house of her own free will (to play on her own) or if someone got her out of there either by deception or force.

Such a sad story..

Maybe it's just that people have a lot of suspicions, but no one knows much for sure?