PDA

View Full Version : Powell family statements addressing the murder/suicide*merged*

Jacie Estes
02-06-2012, 08:20 PM
No one 'bullied' josh into his evil actions.

A cousin of Josh Powell on Monday implored the FBI to launch an investigation into Facebook postings that he claims "cyberbullied" Josh Powell and possibly contributed to the man’s decision to kill himself and his children in a dramatic Washington house fire over the weekend

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53457213-78/powell-josh-leach-family.html.csp#disqus_thread

katydid23
02-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Talk about deflection. Sheeeeeesh.

Mountain_Kat
02-06-2012, 08:32 PM
Give me a freakin' break!

STEADFAST
02-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Being bullied doesn't cause someone to burn two children to death.

back2back19
02-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Um, yeah. :/ I get his family clinging to anything that would help explain WHY Powell murdered his two innocent sons but yeah, that excuse seems to be a reach.

sherbetjello
02-06-2012, 08:51 PM
A "grown" "man" should have been stronger and better than whatever is said about him online (as well as media and public opinion) for his children, especially if he is the main benefactor after their mother goes missing when he claims he had no part in it.

Cyber bulling? Baloney. Stop trying to skirt around that your cousin was sick and twisted and went to great lengths to hurt many people (his family and friends included) to have his selfish needs met.

Also, the Powell family should stay off line, imo. I personally don't want to hear from you unless SP is ready to talk.

Jacie Estes
02-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Is that family tree one straight line? Lots of wackiness.

momtective
02-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Un-freakin'-believable! He's nuckin' futs! :yes:

tlcya
02-06-2012, 09:05 PM

Wonder who bullied him into disappearing Susan :(

katydid23
02-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Wonder who bullied him into disappearing Susan :(

His Dad?

gogrannypop
02-06-2012, 09:08 PM

Yep, I agree. Not too many branches there.

tlcya
02-06-2012, 09:09 PM
Must be nice to never be responsible for one's own choices and actions. Sheesh. Pardon me while I :sick:

Tricia
02-06-2012, 09:14 PM
At 10 PM Eastern tonight (Monday Feb. 6th) a special edition of Websleuths Radio. Susan Powell's best friend Kiirsi Hellewell will join us.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/websleuths/2012/02/07/josh-powell-murders-himself-and-his-two-children

Chat room is now open.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/flashchat/chat.aspx?HostUserURL=websleuths

Velouria
02-06-2012, 09:17 PM
From the article:

Leach said he’s aware that the Powell family conducted their own cyber attack on the Cox family and West Valley City Police Department at www.susanpowell.org (http://www.susanpowell.org/) and more recently, at their website, "4thekidzz," which seems to have been removed following Josh Powell’s death.And yet, no one in the Cox family responded to the Powell's attack (cyberbullying!) by murdering innocent children.

You really should :shutup: and crawl back under your rock, Mr. Leach.

lonetraveler
02-06-2012, 09:25 PM
For common decency, Mr. Leach should be disgusted and ashamed of himself for his idiotic comments. Someone please take Mr. Leach out behind the barn and teach him what bullying means.:maddening:

norest4thewicked
02-06-2012, 09:30 PM
This is ludicrous! He makes me sick!

indicat
02-06-2012, 09:33 PM
From the article:

And yet, no one in the Cox family responded to the Powell's attack (cyberbullying!) by murdering innocent children.

You really should :shutup: and crawl back under your rock, Mr. Leach.

So big of him to acknowledge this....and the Coxes took all this and never responded in kind.

Storm
02-06-2012, 09:39 PM
No one 'bullied' josh into his evil actions.

A cousin of Josh Powell on Monday implored the FBI to launch an investigation into Facebook postings that he claims "cyberbullied" Josh Powell and possibly contributed to the man’s decision to kill himself and his children in a dramatic Washington house fire over the weekend

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53457213-78/powell-josh-leach-family.html.csp#disqus_thread

He can't be serious?? Well...he is a cousin..may explain it....

Storm
02-06-2012, 09:43 PM

I'm a Genealogist for 40 years...I think you're onto something...^i^

dog.gone.cute
02-06-2012, 09:48 PM
OMG ... Really ? Really ?

:waitasec: I guess he wanted his 15 minutes ... a HUGE WASTE ...

:waitasec: :violin:

katydid23
02-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Has the cousin heard the part about him using an ax to his son's necks before he lit the match? Wonder what he thinks about that?

ETA:
Pierce ME: Charles and Braden had "chop injuries to the head and neck". Hatchet found at scene #FindSusan #JoshuaPowell.

indicat
02-06-2012, 09:56 PM
Has the cousin heard the part about him using an ax to his son's necks before he lit the match? Wonder what he thinks about that?

Is this for real? I think I need to step away, between this and an unexpected picture that just floated around its too much.

pip
02-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Please Mr. Nathan Leach. You are sounding as delusional as the rest of the Powell men. There were only TWO bullies in this evil saga. JOSH and STEVEN POWELL.
Josh is not a martyr nor a victim. He was a straight up, murdering, selfish BULLY. And now you can add Serial Killer to his pathetic legacy.

He and his father opportunistically victimized all those whom were in their paths. May his father rot in jail and Josh rot in Hades.

Go back under your rock.

Eric's_Iguana
02-06-2012, 11:33 PM
I was bullied in school in a manner that I wouldn't wish on anyone. Anyone, even JP or SP or FKC.

I'm sure it's a huge reason why I homeschool my children.

It's no excuse to hurt someone else.

No excuse at all.

JP was vile and nasty, and I know his cousin is hurting right now but he needs to be quiet.

Those poor babies.

SuziQ
02-06-2012, 11:53 PM
For common decency, Mr. Leach should be disgusted and ashamed of himself for his idiotic comments. Someone please take Mr. Leach out behind the barn and teach him what bullying means.:maddening:

ITA. And the only bullies I see in this case are the Powell's and their supporters. Mr. Leach better be careful. Uncle Steve shooting his mouth off is what eventually landed him in prison.

DairyGirl
02-07-2012, 12:01 AM
We better be careful or we will be accused of cyberbullying the cousin and he'll have the FBI called on us.

SuziQ
02-07-2012, 12:04 AM
We better be careful or we will be accused of cyberbullying the cousin and he'll have the FBI called on us.

Not worried!

Cubby
02-07-2012, 12:09 AM
I saw this in MSM last night but decided to wait until I saw it posted to comment. I needed that 24 hour or so cool off period after reading what the cousin had to say.

It apparently never occured to the cousin that Josh had a choice in what he read online.

It amazes me to what extent some people will go to remove responsibility where it is due.

The responsibility for two young boys murder and Josh's suicide is on JOSH and ONLY JOSH. With that I'll stop before getting riled up again.

SmoothOperator
02-07-2012, 12:27 AM
Yea, and now we see what Joshie was doing RATHER THAN BEING A REAL MAN AND GETTING OFF HIS AZZ TO WORK A JOB TO SUPPORT HIS FAMILY ATLEAST FINANCIALLY.. NOPE! Seems Joshie was busy with such fruitless, and loserish activities such as Facebooking!!.. I am not even the least bit surprised by this... I'm quite certain among sick and evil thought processes and activities that we'll see plenty of loser, petty, and pathetic behaviors and activities based solely on his own complete self absorption such as what we see here Facebooking ALL about HIMSELF!!

LinasK
02-07-2012, 01:06 AM
Yea, and now we see what Joshie was doing RATHER THAN BEING A REAL MAN AND GETTING OFF HIS AZZ TO WORK A JOB TO SUPPORT HIS FAMILY ATLEAST FINANCIALLY.. NOPE! Seems Joshie was busy with such fruitless, and loserish activities such as Facebooking!!.. I am not even the least bit surprised by this... I'm quite certain among sick and evil thought processes and activities that we'll see plenty of loser, petty, and pathetic behaviors and activities based solely on his own complete self absorption such as what we see here Facebooking ALL about HIMSELF!!
He had alot in common with Casey Anthony!!!

Kimster
02-07-2012, 02:14 AM

That's just what I was thinking! :what:

bessie
02-07-2012, 05:30 AM
Assuming he's a decent person since I really know nothing about him, I empathize with the cousin. He's hurt and confused, and his anger is misdirected, but he can't see that yet.

Sometimes I feel more sorryfor the families of the perps who die than the victims' families. There's no outpouring of love for the perp's family. No one comes forward to support you.

Cherry Baby
02-07-2012, 08:04 AM
I don't seem to remember Josh filing any charges of cyber bullying against anybody...did he?

I'm thinking Mr Leach should refrain from speaking. He's not doing himself any favors.

ETA - and by the way...

Here I am. While I've never could or would do such a thing, Mr Leach needs to realize that people had strong opinions on Josh and his 'I don't know anything' stance. That doesn't necessarily equal cyber bullying. If Josh didn't like what people said about him then he should have pushed himself away from the computer desk. He wasn't a teenager, feeling helpless and being preyed on. He was a grown man.

TxLady2
02-07-2012, 08:07 AM
I think we should be pretty careful what we post here. It's not up to us to judge anybody, everybody is free to think what they like but posting thinly disguised threats is not a good idea. That's one reason I don't interact on Facebook, people can be so cruel.
Not saying there are any here yet, but please be careful. People's words online have come back to haunt them before. Big Brother is watching.

TxLady2
02-07-2012, 08:10 AM
I don't seem to remember Josh filing any charges of cyber bullying against anybody...did he?

I'm thinking Mr Leach should refrain from speaking. He's not doing himself any favors.

He has as much right to speak as anyone else does. We don't have to read it or listen to it if it is bothersome to us.

LadyL
02-07-2012, 08:32 AM
ummm, there's this thing called the 'off' button?

Cherry Baby
02-07-2012, 08:33 AM
He has as much right to speak as anyone else does. We don't have to read it or listen to it if it is bothersome to us.

While I would absolutely normally agree with you, I hate censorship myself and would not shop at Wal-Mart for years because of it - but Mr Leach seems like he's just a case of 'poor Josh' going on. I sympathize with the saner members of that family but the only victims here are the boys and Susan and the Cox family. I feel like he's trying to paint Josh as a victim too, and that is simply not true.

I totally respect your opinion however.

LadyL
02-07-2012, 08:40 AM
seriously, the FBI has more important things to do than look into one sentence in a FB group

*eyeroll*

cocomod
02-07-2012, 08:46 AM
The Powell family will continue to do anything and everything possible to paint themselves as the victims in all of this. However, remember that when things had basically quieted down, it was the Powell family that launched the website that smeared Susan. It was the Powell family that did not just smear her in online, but they actually did interviews in which they painted her to be something that she was not.

Josh carefully planned and carried out the most brutal attack on two innocent, defenseless children. There is NOTHING that can condone or defend that!

grayjay
02-07-2012, 08:48 AM
So to prove his reputation with children is above reproach and his special hatred is justified, he murders his own children in an inferno? Poor, poor, pitifuls, all.

sunsetbeach
02-07-2012, 08:52 AM

or to take an ax or hatchet to them before the explosion. I wouldn't be surprised if he did the same thing to Susan. :(

believe09
02-07-2012, 09:40 AM
There is no question that Josh was cyberbullied. I am quite certain he was a pariah in RL as well. This is how the public handles their frustration when they believe they know someone is guilty of a heinous crime and the perp is still walking around.

Caveat-Josh was/is completely guilty imo and "innocent until proven guilty" doesnt apply to me...it applies to a judge and a jury of his peers.

Is it right for him to have been cyber bullied? Is it right and just to cyber bully FICA? I think that is the question we should ask ourselves.

believe09
02-07-2012, 09:42 AM
The Powell family are victims. They are. No question. They are collateral damage in all of this. Can you imagine what it must be like to be carrying that name and association? Everyone in that family has been tainted by the same brush.

It isnt fair. I think Josh's dad is the root of this evil, but that is because the only way I can deal with this is to imagine that someone is responsible for this seed planted in Josh. :(

believe09
02-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Here is a discussion thread for the statements being reported in the media from various family member's of Josh Powell.

Please do not use this thread to bash the family-feel free to discuss the statements, what may have motivated the statements and what you agree/disagree regarding the statments.

Cubby
02-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Moving my post from the other thread here.

In a statement released on Tuesday, Powell's sister Alina said, "Josh and his boys spent more than two years being crushed alive by hate, harassment, and abuse."
"None of us could have anticipated the devastating tragedy that took place Sunday, but what this unimaginable loss shows is that hate will never end well," Alina Powell (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Alina+Powell) said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/final-voicemail-released-josh-powell-murder-suicide-explosion-article-1.1018458#ixzz1liItf5i5 (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/final-voicemail-released-josh-powell-murder-suicide-explosion-article-1.1018458#ixzz1liItf5i5)

These comments from Alina Powell take the cake. Do these people just not get it? It sickens me these boys even share the same DNA as this family. It sickens me they were ever exposed to this family and it sickens me Susan ever crossed paths with this family.

I need a break before I earn myself a time out.

My heart is breaking for the Cox family, as if this wasn't horrific enough.

Cubby
02-07-2012, 12:15 PM
These boys weren't crushed alive by online information. They were hatched and burnt to death by their father, the ONLY person responsible for this horrifying tragedy. :furious:

Cubby
02-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Carrying this portion of my post from the other thread.

And then his family. How exactly does one justify their own brother hatching his children? How does one justify people finding that horrific as evil? Josh's actions were evil. The Powell family excusing Josh's behavior and choices, choices Josh made freely and of his own will, is horrifying. Even Jeffrey Dahmers father placed the responsibility on his son, where it belonged. Not the Powell family. :furious:

My God, evil and family members justifying that evil.
I never thought I'd see the day, but here we are.

Gracenote
02-07-2012, 12:21 PM
They were killed by hate, just not in the way I think she means. I often wonder about spousal/child killers and the rage they have to feel to do what they do.

Irish_Eyes
02-07-2012, 12:21 PM
It's projection. This tragedy was caused by JP's hatred...of Susan and her family, LE, and the courts- and the fact that they wouldn't all just cede complete control to him.

Instead they are reversing things and blaming external hatred towards JP. But it just doesn't stand up to reason.

katydid23
02-07-2012, 12:24 PM
To me it just shows the dysfunctional family dynamics that the patriarch of the Powell family created, His sick and twisted nature poisoned the well. And the family members have to try and blame others for the evil that he wrought, imo.

SuziQ
02-07-2012, 12:26 PM
The Powell family are victims. They are. No question. They are collateral damage in all of this. Can you imagine what it must be like to be carrying that name and association? Everyone in that family has been tainted by the same brush.

It isnt fair. I think Josh's dad is the root of this evil, but that is because the only way I can deal with this is to imagine that someone is responsible for this seed planted in Josh. :(

Mr Leach doesn't carry the same name. No one would have known his relationship to the Powell family had he not opened up his big mouth. Which seems to be a family trait. His opinion will be unpopular and he knows it. He has a right to an opinion and so do the rest of us.

Cubby
02-07-2012, 12:33 PM
To me it just shows the dysfunctional family dynamics that the patriarch of the Powell family created, His sick and twisted nature poisoned the well. And the family members have to try and blame others for the evil that he wrought, imo.

What do they say, "People are only as sick as their secrets" - Based on what this family has chosen to publicly reveal of themselves, I don't doubt there are a great many sick secrets in this family, that run deep.

And it is a shame two innocent children and presumably their mother lost their lives as a result of it.

SuziQ
02-07-2012, 12:33 PM

And then his family. How exactly does one justify their own brother hatching his children? How does one justify people finding that horrific as evil? Josh's actions were evil. The Powell family excusing Josh's behavior and choices, choices Josh made freely and of his own will, is horrifying. Even Jeffrey Dahmers father placed the responsibility on his son, where it belonged. Not the Powell family. :furious:

Mark Hacking's family is another example. They received alot of public support as well.

sherbetjello
02-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Sometimes I feel more sorryfor the families of the perps who die than the victims' families. There's no outpouring of love for the perp's family. No one comes forward to support you.

I understand that statement 100%. I just vented to those in my house about this and I said "God forbid it was my family in these shoes... My only statement would be to the family that was hurt dearly (Cox family in this case)."
Then I would burrow myself in my home to reflect on any or all of the reasons a family member would be capable of such madness.

The Powell family are victims, but they won't get support by defending JP the way they are. I think I've tooted this statement a lot this morning, the Powell family should just remain quite, see a counselor and have their time to grieve, not defend.

Jacie Estes
02-07-2012, 12:50 PM
When we looked at the chantrey site we saw a family story that was not the Waltons. The powells, we still don't know which ones exactly, were more than happy to put Susan's girlhood journals on-line. They were more than happy to defile her name and memory, they were more than happy to call her very sexual towards steve on national tv and they were more than happy to hurt the Coxes at every possible opportunity.

Looking at the GMA clip when AB asks joshie what he thought about steve's comments about Susan flirting with him, joshie's response was pure evil. I will never forget the look/smirk on his face. Looking back, I believe then [last summer] he knew what the final outcome would be it was just a matter of time and the amount of pressure placed on him.

Alina's statement on ABC this morning is another indicator of the powell family creed 'Take No Responsibility' For Your Actions.

Leach had the option to NOT call the FBI, he had the option to not go to media but he chose to do so. If he hadn't we would not even know who he was.

IMHO

ThoughtFox
02-07-2012, 01:11 PM
From the article:

Leach said he’s aware that the Powell family conducted their own cyber attack on the Cox family and West Valley City Police Department at www.susanpowell.org and more recently, at their website, "4thekidzz," which seems to have been removed following Josh Powell’s death.

But while Leach said he disagrees with the manner in which his relatives have aired their views about the case, he is critical of the way the Facebook pages hounded his cousin.

OMG - cry me a river!!!

Was it okay for Steve Powell to video Susan and other women and children without their consent?

You know, right now people are grieving over the brutal - and I mean brutal - ax-murdering and deaths of these two innocent boys. For someone in that family to try and turn the Powell men into martyrs or victims at this moment is beyond belief.

I don't know why people go on facebook and try to intimidate others. Someone could have called CPS without announcing it on Facebook. But he was in trouble over his kids anyway. He has been suspected in the death of their mother for years. Most people agree, he shouldn't have had home visitation!

But none of that gave him a reason to kill his own children!!! :maddening: The only thing making him do that was his own evil scheming conniving nature which could be a family trait, considering his father. Don't blame us for that!

It's like that old defense from the Tower shooter in Texas: I hate Mondays. :( Not a good excuse.

gitana1
02-07-2012, 01:13 PM

Yup. I believe Alina and her father and possibly the brother understand perfectly well why the coward did what he did. They understand it and sympathize with him. They do not think like normal people. They are twisted. They make me sick.

ThoughtFox
02-07-2012, 01:17 PM

But he didn't put that AX in Josh's hand. He didn't force him to blow up his house with gasoline and kill those innocent kids. :furious:

I hate it when cowardly adults won't take responsibility for their own actions. First it's Steve Powell had "control" of Josh and made him kill Susan. Now it's Facebook had "control" over Josh and made him kill the children.

He was a sad sorry weak-sauce excuse for a human being and that made him do bad things?

Nope - not a good excuse in my book. :cow:

MarthaM
02-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Actually, I can see how online hate and harassment can be a contributing factor to someone's actions in cases like this. I have always felt that many of the nasty things said online about people involved (including POIs and suspects) hurt more than they help. They can have an impact on someone's behavior, even though it's in an indirect way. I don't think that hateful statements made on the internet can be blamed for what someone does, or used as an excuse, but I do see how they can be part of the whole picture of what happens. After all, face-to-face comments affect what people do; why not comments made on the internet?

In this specific case, though, I think the end result would have been the same even if there was no such thing as the internet. And I think that the family's comments are quick reactions being made in the immediate aftermath and might not be the same thing they'd say down the road.

ThoughtFox
02-07-2012, 01:27 PM
"None of us could have anticipated the devastating tragedy that took place Sunday, but what this unimaginable loss shows is that hate will never end well," Alina Powell said.

Well, she's got that right. Hate for Susan and Hate for those children did not end well.

We in the public had only love for them. Apparently, Josh hated them.

Forgive us all if we weren't able to love Josh and Steve. Their actions and statements have not made them all that lovable. Each of us has to decide if disappearing people or videotaping porn are admirable acts that are worthy of love. Forgive the public if they can only judge others by their actions, and are worried enough to call child services for children who ended up dying anyway at the hand of someone who should have loved them.

believe09
02-07-2012, 01:46 PM
To be more specific, Thought-I would like to lay responsibility at the door of Steve, which does not mean that I do.

Yes, JOSH was the one who killed the children and himself. Josh killed Susan imo-perhaps he had some help from his father but who knows.

The subject of the thread is Leach's statements regarding cyber bullying contributing...discounting the effect of cyber bullying pretty much knocks the bullying/suicide threads on the forum out of the park if the determination is that cyberbullying shouldnt or wouldnt have affected Josh. IMO.

Where Leach's statements go awry for me is that he concedes that the Powell's cyberbullied the Cox's.

Hate begets hate begets hate begets hate. The kids were the pawns imo-Josh's ultimate act of bullying back. His revenge.

I think the dialogue we should consider is whether or not cyberbullying is justified in some cases and not in others. Again, JMO.

Jacie Estes
02-07-2012, 01:52 PM
If it is a cause and effect issue then someone needs to keep matches/gas away from Scott/Drew Petersen, Jeremy Irwin and Deborah Bradley and many others who are in the public eye/media for having a family member disappear. This was a choice not the effect of bullying. IMHO

Pensfan
02-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Assuming he's a decent person since I really know nothing about him, I empathize with the cousin. He's hurt and confused, and his anger is misdirected, but he can't see that yet.

It is much easier to feel empathy for the family of the perp when they made appropriate efforts to help the perp. Threatening, whining, lying about others via Facebook, internet news' comments, and blogs wasn't useful to alleviate Josh's problems and may have fed his pathological anger and narcissism.

TexasCharm
02-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Ok ... which one of you was cyberbullying Josh????

Out with it!

TexasCharm
02-07-2012, 02:20 PM
I especially like how Mr. Leach (who actually doesn't live too far from me) says that he hasn't spoken to JP in years... I wonder why that is?

He sure seems to be taking up his cause now.

I really don't think Mr. Leach had any idea of who his cousin really was? How could he? How could anyone??

I kinda feel sorry for the family, trying to place some kind of reason, or blame if you will, on someone or something else for the actions of another family member. Nobody wants to believe there wasn't a better reason than "If I can't have them, nobody will."

They are trying to process this too ... I guess.

imo

2goldfish
02-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Ok ... which one of you was cyberbullying Josh????

Out with it!

if only I'd known where he was on the internets, I could be raising my hand right now.

MsFacetious
02-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Ben Winslow

Just tried to talk to #JoshPowell's sister. "YOU caused this!" she said before slamming the gate. @fox13now #findsusan

BenWinslow Ben Winslow

Obviously, there is grief on all sides here. @fox13now #findsusan

http://twitter.com/#!/BenWinslow

jjenny
02-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Actually, I can see how online hate and harassment can be a contributing factor to someone's actions in cases like this. I have always felt that many of the nasty things said online about people involved (including POIs and suspects) hurt more than they help. They can have an impact on someone's behavior, even though it's in an indirect way. I don't think that hateful statements made on the internet can be blamed for what someone does, or used as an excuse, but I do see how they can be part of the whole picture of what happens. After all, face-to-face comments affect what people do; why not comments made on the internet?

In this specific case, though, I think the end result would have been the same even if there was no such thing as the internet. And I think that the family's comments are quick reactions being made in the immediate aftermath and might not be the same thing they'd say down the road.

People do have freedom of expression in this country. If a man's wife goes missing while he is on the camping trip with two little kids people are going to express their feelings. I don't see why they shouldn't.

stilettos
02-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Ben Winslow

Just tried to talk to #JoshPowell's sister. "YOU caused this!" she said before slamming the gate. @fox13now #findsusan

BenWinslow Ben Winslow

No..JOSH caused this...Steve videotaped porn. Enabling them only made it continue to this horrible conclusion. get that straight.

cocomod
02-07-2012, 02:37 PM
I do not think that Josh was cyberbullied as much as others I have watched. Nobody had his personal FB page to comment on. Nobody sent him threatening emails. The FB page that I followed discussed case developments and did claim often that of course Josh was guilty. However, nobody went up to WA and picketed his house. Nobody tried to get him fired. Nobody said that he shoul kill himself.

I think that Leach hit the nail on the head that Josh cyberbullied the Cox family. But worse, he slandered Susan when she was not here to defend herself. Josh and Steve's campaign was cruel. They would stir up crap when things would actually quiet down.

Again, I just don't see the reason for trying to claim this now and use it as "part" of the excuse for his actions. If Josh had a claim$ for cyberbullying, he should have brought it forward. I do not think that an estranged cousin is the one that should be trying to bring this complaint.

stilettos
02-07-2012, 02:37 PM

Actions and behaviors are always a choice. Using the reasoning in the above post...child abuse victims and those verbally abused would have mitigating circumstances to the crime of killing their children. NO, they don't get that. It is a choice.

T4Tide
02-07-2012, 02:43 PM
No one "online" knew Josh Powell before he murdered his wife. What's her excuse for that?

Velouria
02-07-2012, 02:44 PM

BBM

Sorry believe , but I strongly disagree.I see the Powell clan as aiders, abetters, and cheerleaders to the ongoing depravity we've seen in this case. Sorry, but I don't have an ounce of sympathy for any of them except Jennifer.

MOO.

Apples2Apples
02-07-2012, 02:53 PM
How many siblings did Josh have?

SilkySifaka
No one "online" knew Josh Powell before he murdered his wife. What's her excuse for that?

She may believe he is innocent of that and this horrific end was solely due to the public harassment in her eyes of an innocent man.

Remember, he is her brother. If anyone is going to believe in his innocence of Susan's murder it would be her.

Not excusing it just saying from her pov, she just lost her brother and her nephews due to a horrific choice he made. She needs to explain it to herself and blaming her family is probably to much for her to do right now.

elmomom
His sister may still love him, regardless of how evil he was. Loe is funny that way. Reading horrible, hurtful things spoken against someone you love is painful. You all are criticizing someone for lashing out while you all afford yourselves the luxury of lashing out yourselves. To me, she is a victim, and her statements are as emotional and illogical as many I have read here.

Cubby
02-07-2012, 03:05 PM
She may believe he is innocent of that and this horrific end was solely due to the public harassment in her eyes of an innocent man.

Remember, he is her brother. If anyone is going to believe in his innocence of Susan's murder it would be her.

Not excusing it just saying from her pov, she just lost her brother and her nephews due to a horrific choice he made. She needs to explain it to herself and blaming her family is probably to much for her to do right now.

Even if she believed her brother was innocent, how does she excuse her fathers behavior? How does she excuse her brothers choice of moving her nephews into the environment grandpa provided? Does she see no wrong in her own fathers behavior and contribution to those children being removed from her brothers home?

Sometimes people can't see past the take what I want at any cost or get revenge at all costs mentality.

I need to stop there. Don't want to let this case earn me a time out here.

Kimster
02-07-2012, 03:23 PM
:fence:

I'm a fence sitter on this topic. On one hand, I think the power of family runs deep and it's nearly impossible to see the forest for the trees. On the other hand, Jennifer was able to view the forest so I wonder why she was able to tear herself away and the others couldn't?

I guess the main issue I have is that they know Susan is missing. It is suspicious. And they know there was porn. There is proof. And now Josh killed himself and the boys and that can be excused due to bullying and the media?

I just don't know which way to go here, but I do have some sympathy for the blindness they seem to be experiencing. I just don't understand it.

fran
02-07-2012, 03:59 PM
I think the media needs to just stay clear of the Powell family. They're grieving like the rest of the country, world for that matter. They see JP as something different, they're too close to the situation.

I honestly feel sorry for them, in that in a month or year, they're going to look back on this and see everything differently. They may even regret many things they've said, and are going to say.

Right now, this family is at the lowest point in their life. I know Susan has been missing for quite some time, but now this family tragedy had multiplied, 10 fold!

No one left living, other than perhaps the one behind bars, in this family is guilty of anything, other than loving someone who, for all intents and purposes had a black heart. They're color blind right now. They can't and possibly don't want to see that now. But when the truth comes out, ................well, just say, I would NOT want to be them. No way.

At the end of the day, I think this case will haunt 1000's, if not 100's of 1000s of people. I'm not going to say it couldn't get worse, because just as I say that, there would be something even more horrific than we've seen the past few days and time since Susan has been missing.

I do want to see what they have to say, but maybe I shouldn't. I don't want to say something I'll regret writing. I wish them no ill will. But I do wish they could see this a year down the road as it will undoubtedly progress, so that they can see what they're saying isn't doing Josh any good, nor their father. As a matter of fact, they're being seen as a family that wants to blame everyone else in the world for the horrific decision of their own brother, to murder his own children, and most likely had murdered the mother of his children as well.

Just some thoughts,
fran

SilkySifaka
02-07-2012, 04:02 PM

I'm a fence sitter on this topic. On one hand, I think the power of family runs deep and it's nearly impossible to see the forest for the trees. On the other hand, Jennifer was able to view the forest so I wonder why she was able to tear herself away and the others couldn't?

I guess the main issue I have is that they know Susan is missing. It is suspicious. And they know there was porn. There is proof. And now Josh killed himself and the boys and that can be excused due to bullying and the media?

I just don't know which way to go here, but I do have some sympathy for the blindness they seem to be experiencing. I just don't understand it.

I figure i won't understand it because I haven't gone through it. We also need to remember that it was in many ways a cult like atmosphere. It takes time to deprogram. One sister escaped but she could have had a mentor or someone to show her a different way of family life while growing up. Or just genetics, she had a strong enough set of genes she could break away.

I don't blame people for faith..not if they are brainwashed and unable to see things differently. The leader has been taken away and their brother murdered his sons and killed himself.

Thats a lot for a normal family to take in, let alone one with the major issues that I think members of the Powell family have. And I don't mean criminal ones, just..brought up in a way that is sure to screw someone up.

SilkySifaka
02-07-2012, 04:05 PM
I think the media needs to just stay clear of the Powell family. They're grieving like the rest of the country, world for that matter. They see JP as something different, they're too close to the situation.

I honestly feel sorry for them, in that in a month or year, they're going to look back on this and see everything differently. They may even regret many things they've said, and are going to say.

Right now, this family is at the lowest point in their life. I know Susan has been missing for quite some time, but now this family tragedy had multiplied, 10 fold!

No one left living, other than perhaps the one behind bars, in this family is guilty of anything, other than loving someone who, for all intents and purposes had a black heart. They're color blind right now. They can't and possibly don't want to see that now. But when the truth comes out, ................well, just say, I would NOT want to be them. No way.

At the end of the day, I think this case will haunt 1000's, if not 100's of 1000s of people. I'm not going to say it couldn't get worse, because just as I say that, there would be something even more horrific than we've seen the past few days and time since Susan has been missing.

I do want to see what they have to say, but maybe I shouldn't. I don't want to say something I'll regret writing. I wish them no ill will. But I do wish they could see this a year down the road as it will undoubtedly progress, so that they can see what they're saying isn't doing Josh any good, nor their father. As a matter of fact, they're being seen as a family that wants to blame everyone else in the world for the horrific decision of their own brother, to murder his own children, and most likely had murdered the mother of his children as well.

Just some thoughts,
fran

Such a good post fran. I agree they won't see it the same way down the road but right now is not when they suddenly see their brother as a monster and likely father as one too.

jjenny
02-07-2012, 04:09 PM
I don't think "cyberbullying" had anything to do with any of it.

""The person who loses the custody fight is so upset that they feel, you know, ‘If I can’t have the children, you’re not going to get them either,’ and kills the children ... This comes closest to that category even though you don’t have an actual spouse, you’ve got the parents of the spouse," said Phillip Resnick, professor of psychiatry and director of the division of forensic psychiatry for Case Western Reserve University’s School of Medicine."

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/07/10342362-powell-driven-by-revenge-in-killing-sons-himself

krimekat
02-07-2012, 04:10 PM
So, just the two comments from Alina?

They should just lay low & grieve . . .

SuziQ
02-07-2012, 04:25 PM
BBM

Sorry believe , but I strongly disagree.I see the Powell clan as aiders, abetters, and cheerleaders to the ongoing depravity we've seen in this case. Sorry, but I don't have an ounce of sympathy for any of them except Jennifer.

MOO.

Evidently LE agrees with you. LE does not trust anyone in that circle of people. Yesterday they said they would investigate who among family and friends knew what and when they knew it. And if there was lack of cooperation, search warrants will be issued.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53...onday.html.csp (http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53454834-78/powell-josh-cox-monday.html.csp)

(snip)
Meanwhile, Washington state investigators were trying to fill in holes in the case with an arson investigation at the home and autopsies on Josh Powell and his sons.
Pierce County Sheriff Paul Pastor said Monday that detectives were trying to determine which of Josh’s family members or friends might have received prior indication of the murders.
"We may be looking at [search] warrants to look at all people who may have information," Pastor said.
He said those with information would not necessarily be under investigation for a crime, adding that officers would only use search warrants "if we don’t get cooperation."
"We want to know what they knew of and when they knew it," Pastor said.

SmoothOperator
02-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Where is the Matriarch of this family? The absence of a strong Matriarch is so obvious and Imo coincides perfectly with how it seems most of this family perceive the family unit and the disrespect overall for females in general, especially strong females...

gitana1
02-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Ben Winslow

BenWinslow Ben Winslow

http://twitter.com/#!/BenWinslow (http://twitter.com/#%21/BenWinslow)

Yeah, No. HE caused this. That statement rankles.

Exactly.

I am very loyal to my family. We are very, very tight. But I am not seeing this family in that way. I don't see them as a tight, loyal, loving family in disbelief that the brother/son they adore, could have done anything like this.

This is a family decimated by generational parental alienation. Steve's dad kidnapped him and his siblings and alienated them from their mother. Steve did the same thing to his kids' mother. Then came the coward. He didn't worry about kidnapping, he just killed the mother (Susan). But he continued his attempts at alienation, which he had been doing before he murdered Susan, AFTER she was dead, by not allowing them to mention her or see her family.

This is a family that hate the "enemy" and that enemy is always the wife.

Alina and Michael are/were estranged from their mother. They think the way the rest of the screwed up family thinks. They are never to blame, everyone else is wrong, they are special and the rules thus do not apply to them. The only one who saw the light was Jennifer Graves. Hence, she has human emotions.

These kind of people sicken me. I do not feel sorry for them at this point. I think they are shells of humans and destructive forces. I feel sorry for the children they were but not now, due to what they chose to become.

Compare these people to Mark Hacking's family. They didn't want their brother to go to prison. But they were not twisted, like him and although they love him unconditionally and support him, they knew he did wrong and were not in denial when the facts became clear. As a result, I feel much empathy, and respect for them.

Gypsy Road
02-07-2012, 05:08 PM
I realize Alina is grieving, but I think she honestly believes it was everyone's fault, but Josh's. You have to remember how this woman was brought up. Her thinking is twisted, and while I have sympathy that she grew up in a horrible environment - I can't grasp the fact that she seems to be giving Josh yet another "pass" for killing those precious boys.

MarthaM
02-07-2012, 05:14 PM
People do have freedom of expression in this country. If a man's wife goes missing while he is on the camping trip with two little kids people are going to express their feelings. I don't see why they shouldn't.

I believe strongly in the freedom of expression, too, and am firmly behind everyone stating their feelings and opinions. The way some opinions are expressed and the way some stories are covered make me uneasy, but that doesn't mean I think people shouldn't speak up.

As I said, though, I do think that statements by others can push someone over the edge or contribute to their decision to act, whether in a criminal way or any other. So can many other things: the weather can set someone off, or something they saw on TV, or something else happening in their life. As I said in my previous post, I don't think that one can blame what is said online or in person for their actions. But I do believe that words have an impact. They may be one part of a bigger picture that leads someone to do something, or (in some cases) to do nothing.

It happens all the time; things are said about a person and they react.

Actions and behaviors are always a choice. Using the reasoning in the above post...child abuse victims and those verbally abused would have mitigating circumstances to the crime of killing their children. NO, they don't get that. It is a choice.

No, I didn't say that there are any 'mitigating circumstances'. I'm merely saying that a lot of things go into a person's mindset before they make the choice to act. Clearly, some of the Powell family feel that what has been said in the media and/or online were contributing factors to JP's mindset, and I'm willing to agree that they're probably right about that. This doesn't minimize anything he did at all. I'm just acknowledging a truth--that many things and many people influence every choice we make in life.

Cubby
02-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Yeah, No. HE caused this. That statement rankles.

Exactly.

I am very loyal to my family. We are very, very tight. But I am not seeing this family in that way. I don't see them as a tight, loyal, loving family in disbelief that the brother/son they adore, could have done anything like this.

This is a family decimated by generational parental alienation. Steve's dad kidnapped him and his siblings and alienated them from their mother. Steve did the same thing to his kids' mother. The coward didn't worry about kidnapping, he just killed the mother. But he continued his attempts at alienation, which he had been doing before he murdered Susan, AFTER she was dead, by not allowing them to mention her or see her family.

This is a family that hate the "enemy" and that enemy is always the wife.

Alina and Michael are/were estranged from their mother. They think the way the rest of the screwed up family thinks. They are never to blame, everyone else is wrong, they are special and the rules thus do not apply to them. The only one who saw the light was Jennifer Graves. Hence, she has human emotions.

These kind of people sicken me. I do not feel sorry for them at this point. I think they are shells of humans and destructive forces. I feel sorry for the children they were but not now, due to what they chose to become.

Compare these people to Mark Hacking's family. They didn't want their brother to go to prison. But they were not twisted, like him and although they love him unconditionally and support him, they knew he did wrong and were not in denial when the facts became clear. As a result, I feel much empathy, and respect for them.

Very well said.

sorrell skye
02-07-2012, 07:27 PM

I agree. Thank Goodness Jennifer escaped.

In every domestic violence case there is a common theme: blaming others for one's own despicable violence.

Josh Powell is a hideous murderer of the worst kind. He is NOT a victim.

cocomod
02-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Where is the Matriarch of this family? The absence of a strong Matriarch is so obvious and Imo coincides perfectly with how it seems most of this family perceive the family unit and the disrespect overall for females in general, especially strong females...

Steven Powell divorced his wife when their kids were very small. He used his money to hire an attorney which made her out to be crazy and made her broke before the fight was over. He ended up with the kids and look how he raised them. She seems to me to be very quiet, reserved, and possibly broken. I think SP really hurt her.

The mother has lived in Utah by Jennifer; but is currently back in WA living at SP's house! When SP went to jail, she moved in (possibly to take care of Josh's siblings).

I lost some respect for this woman when she wrote a letter in Josh's defense for the court. She claims he is a wonderful father to his children and this declaration was used to try to get his kids back. I know that motherly love is hard to break, but she had been estranged from Josh for some time. She also hated SP and knew exactly what SP was capable of. I can't imagine what she must be feeling right now.

tiredblondy
02-07-2012, 09:14 PM
I realize Alina is grieving, but I think she honestly believes it was everyone's fault, but Josh's. You have to remember how this woman was brought up. Her thinking is twisted, and while I have sympathy that she grew up in a horrible environment - I can't grasp the fact that she seems to be giving Josh yet another "pass" for killing those precious boys.

It's easy to give him a pass if it's always someone else's fault. It's a lot easier to accept what he did to those children if it was someone else's fault.The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. It's all they know.

gitana1
02-07-2012, 09:23 PM
Steven Powell divorced his wife when their kids were very small. He used his money to hire an attorney which made her out to be crazy and made her broke before the fight was over. He ended up with the kids and look how he raised them. She seems to me to be very quiet, reserved, and possibly broken. I think SP really hurt her.

The mother has lived in Utah by Jennifer; but is currently back in WA living at SP's house! When SP went to jail, she moved in (possibly to take care of Josh's siblings).

I lost some respect for this woman when she wrote a letter in Josh's defense for the court. She claims he is a wonderful father to his children and this declaration was used to try to get his kids back. I know that motherly love is hard to break, but she had been estranged from Josh for some time. She also hated SP and knew exactly what SP was capable of. I can't imagine what she must be feeling right now.

I think she did it as a desperate attempt to mitigate the parental alienation steve powell inflicted on their kids, against her.

tiredblondy
02-07-2012, 09:33 PM
After knowing that the sister called 911 I think she suspected something and did try to help although it was too late.

yllek
02-08-2012, 12:40 AM
But the chief also noted that there were two or three other persons of interest, or people who detectives want to talk to, including other family members and friends. That does not necessarily mean they are suspects in the Utah woman's disappearance, he said.

Nielsen also noted that contrary to what some of Powell's family members might be stating, it was not the media or pressure from the public or police that caused the deaths of the children.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705398885/Voicemails-dispatch-tapes-depict-Josh-Powells-chilling-acts.html?pg=4
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I stated in another thread, I do wish the Powells would not publicly blame others or try to justify that Joshua Powell definitely murdered his sons and very very likely murdered their mother. But, it's their right to make public statements like that, though I don't understand why they don't just talk amongst themselves.

What I wish is that all Powell family members would look at their devastating loss, for which I am sorry, realistically and contact investigators; set up appointments to answer any and all questions and cooperate fully. As mentioned in the article above, LE would like to talk to them. Susan is dead. The boys are dead. Josh is dead. Only Steve Powell is still standing. I hope this family can do right by Charlie and Braden (if not Susan) and see that the secrets and rationalization of selfish and hateful behavior in the family has led to destruction in the family itself. Do the right thing. Tell the truth about anything they know and answer all LE questions honestly. That is my wish - that the truth is revelad and that peace can be gained for those Powell members who bear no directly responsibility for the loss of three innocent lives. JMO..

Bullwinkle
02-08-2012, 01:23 AM
Cox Attorney Steve Downing talks about Josh Powell

TxLady2
02-08-2012, 08:03 AM

Maybe so, but he was her brother. It's not easy to turn against a family member, it takes courage and strength. Her feelings may change over time, but I'm sure it's still a shock right now. They all need time to sort these feelings out and it's too soon for them to understand it. WE don't even understand it and we're not family.

Donjeta
02-08-2012, 08:16 AM
A chilling voicemail has surfaced revealing the final words of disturbed dad Josh Powell just 20 minutes before he butchered his two sons with a hatchet and then incinerated them and himself in a gas explosion in Washington on Sunday.

"I am not able to live without my sons, and I'm not able to go on anymore," Powell says in the message to his family, which was obtained by ABC News on Tuesday.

"I'm sorry to everyone I've hurt. Goodbye."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/final-voicemail-released-josh-powell-murder-suicide-explosion-article-1.1018458#ixzz1lnNFgeK6

I just can't fathom what kind of a world a family lives in and how their belief system has been shaped in their upbringing if one of them is able to call and apologize, say he's sorry that he's hurt some people, 20 minutes before butchering his children with a hatchet in a burning house.

I mean, if you're sorry, why not just not murder your kids and not set someone else's house on fire?

What on earth does "sorry" mean in the Powell world?

Trident
02-08-2012, 08:17 AM

BBM Understatement of the year.

Gin
02-08-2012, 08:37 AM

Sums up kinda what I think. I'll probably be reasonably tolerant of what's said for a couple of weeks due to shock. They may need a bit of time to process what happened to those children. Those sweet boys were tortured and murdered by their father. There is no justification in the universe for that kind of mind blowing cruelty. Come March, if they are still hand wringing and squirming to find "justification", I'll form my opinion.

mysteriew
02-08-2012, 09:30 AM

Have you noticed that A. is the sibling that seems to talk to the media the most? It certainly seems to indicate that she was closest to him, maybe his biggest supporter? She lived in the household, was near enough to SP as well as JP to probably guess what she didn't know.

Sometimes people who feel the most guilt have the bitterest recriminations and the most blame for others. So this situation is making me wonder. How much did she know? How much did she guess? IF she had gone to LE with what she knew, with the evidence she could have helped them find what would have happened?

Josh might have gone to jail. Where he could have been on suicide watch but alive. And the boys, they would still be alive..... she may have eventually even gotten a chance to visit with if she had wanted. Was this the result of her keeping quiet? So if she had talked to LE her life still would have changed, but she wouldn't have totally lost anyone in it.

mysteriew
02-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Evidently LE agrees with you. LE does not trust anyone in that circle of people. Yesterday they said they would investigate who among family and friends knew what and when they knew it. And if there was lack of cooperation, search warrants will be issued.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53...onday.html.csp (http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53454834-78/powell-josh-cox-monday.html.csp)

(snip)
Meanwhile, Washington state investigators were trying to fill in holes in the case with an arson investigation at the home and autopsies on Josh Powell and his sons.
Pierce County Sheriff Paul Pastor said Monday that detectives were trying to determine which of Josh’s family members or friends might have received prior indication of the murders.
"We may be looking at [search] warrants to look at all people who may have information," Pastor said.
He said those with information would not necessarily be under investigation for a crime, adding that officers would only use search warrants "if we don’t get cooperation."
"We want to know what they knew of and when they knew it," Pastor said.

Sounds like a warning shot. You cooperate or you are risking war.....

CarolinaMoon
02-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Josh didn't need to be bullied into doing what horrendous things he did. He saw the end of the corridor coming at a rapid pace with no doors to duck behind. He created the situation beginning with Susan. He brainwashed his children for two years until the Cox's got custody. Once he saw the inevitable outcome, he chickened out and committed suicide. He took his children with him (well as far as the heavenly gates) so they could never fully develop their memories of the night they "lost" their mother. Even in death, he tried to avoid blame. The fact that the Cox family and possibly his own would be devastated by the loss of the children didn't bother him one bit. In fact, in his voice mails, he only mentioned that He couldn't take it any more. Sorry just didn't cut it, Josh.

mysteriew
02-08-2012, 10:10 AM
As far as the cousin's words about mistreatment of Josh. I agree there has been a lot of mistreatment. I don't know if Josh was cyberbullied or not. Maybe he was, or maybe he wasn't. Maybe he only felt that way because every time he saw an accusation that he harmed Susan, maybe it brought the memory to his mind. That might be hard to live with. But still it doesn't give anyone the right to commit murder. But let's look at the ones who were mistreated.....

A lot of women and even children have had their pictures taken in situations they didn't choose. They are and have been stressed. Should they be given the right to go out and commit murders?

The Cox's daughter disappeared, and their son in law has refused to talk to LE about it..... they have been under stress, surely they could have been excused for committing murder?

How about the social worker doing her job. Ensuring Josh's court ordered right to his visitation by bringing his children to visit with him. Think she may be stressed? Would she have the same rights?

The neighbors have had their neighborhood quiet destroyed and still have to drive by a daily reminder of what happened in their neighborhood. They pick up the paper every day and have to read about the events. They have to explain to their children how and why something so horrendous could happen to people near them. And they might not have even known the family.

And how about the school mates of the boys. How does a parent explain to them, how to reassure those children that they are safe?

So yes Josh may have suffered from some nasty accusations. Did that give him the right to commit murder? If so I would have to say that a lot of other people have should have the same rights. Because they cannot just turn the computer off and ignore their own suffering.

And what happens when the principal parties are dead? All these other people still have their rights. Might they then move on to other members of the family just like Josh did?

I don't believe Josh killed the boys because of cyberbullying. Online taunts and accusations may have reminded him of things he wanted to forget, they may have kept him from moving on. But they didn't bring him to kill IMO. IMO he killed the boys because he was a narscisstic ***** and he could not handle the fact that "his" boys were growing away from him. And because he feared that his own children might someday bear witness against him. He showed that every time he went to court and tried to get them back. He feared what they might say.

But even if I am wrong, even if he was "cyberbullied" and could not bear it, he could have killed himself and not the children. It didn't give him the right to take the lives of others. When you start excusing him for taking the lives of others, you start down a whole slippery slope.

SuziQ
02-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/final-voicemail-released-josh-powell-murder-suicide-explosion-article-1.1018458#ixzz1lnNFgeK6

I just can't fathom what kind of a world a family lives in and how their belief system has been shaped in their upbringing if one of them is able to call and apologize, say he's sorry that he's hurt some people, 20 minutes before butchering his children with a hatchet in a burning house.

I mean, if you're sorry, why not just not murder your kids and not set someone else's house on fire?

BBM. Very good question.

cocomod
02-08-2012, 10:31 AM
As far as the cousin's words about mistreatment of Josh. I agree there has been a lot of mistreatment. I don't know if Josh was cyberbullied or not. Maybe he was, or maybe he wasn't. Maybe he only felt that way because every time he saw an accusation that he harmed Susan, maybe it brought the memory to his mind. That might be hard to live with. But still it doesn't give anyone the right to commit murder. But let's look at the ones who were mistreated.....

A lot of women and even children have had their pictures taken in situations they didn't choose. They are and have been stressed. Should they be given the right to go out and commit murders?

The Cox's daughter disappeared, and their son in law has refused to talk to LE about it..... they have been under stress, surely they could have been excused for committing murder?

How about the social worker doing her job. Ensuring Josh's court ordered right to his visitation by bringing his children to visit with him. Think she may be stressed? Would she have the same rights?

The neighbors have had their neighborhood quiet destroyed and still have to drive by a daily reminder of what happened in their neighborhood. They pick up the paper every day and have to read about the events. They have to explain to their children how and why something so horrendous could happen to people near them. And they might not have even known the family.

And how about the school mates of the boys. How does a parent explain to them, how to reassure those children that they are safe?

So yes Josh may have suffered from some nasty accusations. Did that give him the right to commit murder? If so I would have to say that a lot of other people have should have the same rights. Because they cannot just turn the computer off and ignore their own suffering.

And what happens when the principal parties are dead? All these other people still have their rights. Might they then move on to other members of the family just like Josh did?

I don't believe Josh killed the boys because of cyberbullying. Online taunts and accusations may have reminded him of things he wanted to forget, they may have kept him from moving on. But they didn't bring him to kill IMO. IMO he killed the boys because he was a narscisstic ***** and he could not handle the fact that "his" boys were growing away from him. And because he feared that his own children might someday bear witness against him. He showed that every time he went to court and tried to get them back. He feared what they might say.

But even if I am wrong, even if he was "cyberbullied" and could not bear it, he could have killed himself and not the children. It didn't give him the right to take the lives of others. When you start excusing him for taking the lives of others, you start down a whole slippery slope.

Excellent post. BBM my favorite two lines here. This cuts right to the heart of the issue for me!

Storm
02-08-2012, 10:34 AM

Sorry in their world is "sorry they are on to me"..it has nothing to do with remorse...this family is about blame..not remorse...IMO ^i^

Storm
02-08-2012, 10:49 AM
Sorry in their world is "sorry they are on to me"..it has nothing to do with remorse...this family is about blame..not remorse...IMO ^i^

Hate quoting myself....but I come from a very dysfunctional family...and in 1982, at the birth of my oldest, I set boundaries. My family never made any attempts to know my children or see me...that part was easy...getting out of that huge spider web can be hard and painful..my 2 sons, 29 and 23 do not know my side of the family...they are an MD and the other working on his PHD..if I didn't set the boundaries (and it's very hard and hurtful), I am not sure my sons would have had the confidence to be who they are....we were opposite of Josh's family..my mother turned her children against each other and I was the scapegoat from birth (when she gave me away, only to take me back when they wanted to adopt me)...I think what I'm trying to say...think of this as a huge spider web with SP in the middle...he spins them in..programs them...and unfortunately....none of them have had the confidence to break free...I still blame the entire family..they all have choices...and their choices may have contributed to the death of 3 innocent folks. ^i^

gwenabob
02-08-2012, 11:06 AM
He bought a $1M dollar life insurance policy on Susan? One year before she died? When they didn't have money to buy decent groceries? Wow.

That right there is a good reason for LE to drag their feet in declaring her dead. I know the insurance company would balk at paying out if Josh was under suspicion, but why take the chance? Josh could have easily left the country with the boys with a million dollars.

21merc7
02-08-2012, 11:33 AM
He bought a $1M dollar life insurance policy on Susan? One year before she died? When they didn't have money to buy decent groceries? Wow.

That right there is a good reason for LE to drag their feet in declaring her dead. I know the insurance company would balk at paying out if Josh was under suspicion, but why take the chance? Josh could have easily left the country with the boys with a million dollars.

I must have missed it, I don't recall a million dollar life insurance policy. However, even if there was one, he can't cash in on a missing person, nor a murdered person if he is a suspect. I will say that if anyone ever takes a million dollar life insurance policy out for you, run. Unless you do it yourself, and don't tell you spouse/loved ones about it. Guess I'm just paranoid like that, no one can love me enough to take out a monthly payment into a million dollar life insurance policy, even if I would have the same for them, nope, not happening here.

cleo612
02-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Statement from Steven Powell's sister:

http://t.co/ieZ1l2Np

I will refrain from posting my thoughts on what she said.

21merc7
02-08-2012, 11:49 AM

Okay, I'm sorry to say it, but all this talk of Josh restraining himself is not helping. Retrain himself from just what actions may I ask?

And clearly he did not.

mysteriew
02-08-2012, 12:16 PM

So he asked cousin to step in and act as patriarch of the Powell family in SP's absence. What does that mean exactly? Is this like a mafia thing, when one don is sent to prison, another is appointed to take over the criminal activities? Or does this mean that the original plan was for JP to kill himself, not the kids, leaving cousin to fight for custody of the boys? And why would JP ask him to take over the partiarcial duties anyway? Was JP not able to handle his own affairs like any other adult?

This statement just gives me more questions. And not good ones.

ETA: One statement has me asking a question related to Susan's death. They say they told Josh that if he had any credible facts no matter how disturbing that he should present them. Is he hinting that perhaps the murder might have been committed by someone else? Someone that JP was protecting?

It is a little reassuring (too little, too late) that they are now acknowledging that there was no excuse for the deaths of little Charles and Braden.

cocomod
02-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Cleo stated that the Leach's are SP's sister and her husband. It is signed Uncle and Aunt as they would have been Josh's Uncle & Aunt. I can actually see in normal families asking a brother or sister of a jailed person to help in their absence. This does not seem abnormal. Their "theories" and justifications are abnormal though! IMHO OC

lillygator
02-08-2012, 12:49 PM
ughhh...the powell family need to just shut their traps. what nonsense.
it was mentioned uothread that family members are going to be investigated for what they knew - Isure hope so!

LinasK
02-08-2012, 12:58 PM

Sounds like they've been in touch with Cindy Anthony and taking lessons on deflecting blame from her!!!

mysteriew
02-08-2012, 01:00 PM
I've always thought the whole P family knew what happened to Susan. But with the Leach's now stepping forward, I have to wonder if perhaps the information isn't spreading through some of the extended family.

They want the conjecture to stop. They want the story to die. There is one way to do that. The only way to do that is to come forward with what is known. Give LE the info and let them investigate it. Let them determine if any other arrests are indicated. Let the Cox's know. And if possible, let Susan's remains be found. Then it will end.

Disappearances at this point tend to take on a legend quality. Since it isn't known who knows what, since it isn't known who did what, since Susan's body hasn't been found this has all the indicators of becoming one of those legend stories. The kind where future Powell generations will be saying, "no I'm not one of those Powell's." And now that the Leach's have stepped into it, the Leach's will soon be saying the same.

The only way to stop this is to bring it into the open. If others have any guilt they may end up in prison for a time. But at least the innocent among them can go on.

Velouria
02-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Josh Powell most certainly was NOT "cyberbullied".

Bullying implies unwarranted harassment, abuse or mistreatment of an individual or group not based upon any legitimate grievance or issue. The criticism of the Powells was more than justified based upon their own words and conduct. If anything, it was the Powell family who engaged in bullying behavior towards the Cox family, Jennifer Graves and her family, and anyone else who dared to challenge their controlling ways.

IMO

ThoughtFox
02-08-2012, 01:43 PM

That's about what I expected. If you go take a look at the thread about Josh's parent's divorce decree, it's obvious why the family is blaming society and taking no responsibility.

Their own mother stated in court documents that Steve P. taught them from childhood not to respect any type of authority whether from society, the church, LE, or even the sanctity of marriage. If their own mother can go on the record saying that they learned such attitudes at their father's knee, then it's obvious why they are blaming everyone from Facebook to the State of Washington.

Pensfan
02-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Maybe so, but he was her brother. It's not easy to turn against a family member, it takes courage and strength. Her feelings may change over time, but I'm sure it's still a shock right now. They all need time to sort these feelings out and it's too soon for them to understand it. WE don't even understand it and we're not family.
If something horrific was done to Alina and her siblings when they were children (her pedo dad), they may need to mentally work towards the truth in their own lives along with resolving any feelings of anger, shame, and guilt before they can admit the truth about Josh's life.

cocomod
02-08-2012, 04:18 PM
This interview is creepy especially now. Notice that the "Mormon" church and community are to blame for "alienating" him from Susan and trying to get between him and Susan. Not the fact that Susan is missing, but the Mormons are to blame. Also, in the very beginning, he says that this makes him very angry. He also states that he did not "hurt" Susan, but he never says that he did not kill her. I still think a drug was involved in the beginning. My point in this is that Josh has always blamed everything and everyone, but his refusal to help from day ONE had nothing to do with online "harrassment" or WVPD. They believed him in the beginning. Remember - they didn't even trail him when he left in the rental car.

http://vodpod.com/watch/15802343-josh-powell-interview-with-dateline-nbc

KMouse
02-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Sounds like they've been in touch with Cindy Anthony and taking lessons on deflecting blame from her!!!

and Scott Petersons mother.

Dr.Fessel
02-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Brooke4Trib Brooke Adams
Josh Powell's family just told me they will delay a service for him so the focus stays on the children. #JoshPowell #susancoxpowell
https://twitter.com/#!/Brooke4Trib

Dr.Fessel
02-08-2012, 05:23 PM
komonews komonews.com
.@PierceSheriff on Josh Powell's last act: "There's nothing that indicates anything other than it was all himself."
https://twitter.com/#!/komonews

CHERIE.T
02-08-2012, 05:25 PM
That's about what I expected. If you go take a look at the thread about Josh's parent's divorce decree, it's obvious why the family is blaming society and taking no responsibility.

Their own mother stated in court documents that Steve P. taught them from childhood not to respect any type of authority whether from society, the church, LE, or even the sanctity of marriage. If their own mother can go on the record saying that they learned such attitudes at their father's knee, then it's obvious why they are blaming everyone from Facebook to the State of Washington.

That is one of the strangest things I've ever heard. Strangest and sickest. There is weird family dynamic going on.

bbm-imho

Steft50
02-08-2012, 06:55 PM
Brooke4Trib Brooke Adams
Josh Powell's family just told me they will delay a service for him so the focus stays on the children. #JoshPowell #susancoxpowell

IF his family puts any amount of thought into his funeral they will keep it private family only and NOT announce the when/where to the media. Somehow I doubt that is what they will do.

SilkySifaka
02-08-2012, 07:08 PM

Apart from the restraint part (they must have been completely bamboozled by Josh imo) I blinked hard at "concern for posterity'.

very different statement

Velouria
02-08-2012, 07:44 PM
Brooke4Trib Brooke Adams
https://twitter.com/#!/Brooke4Trib (https://twitter.com/#%21/Brooke4Trib)

Wow, how very considerate of them. :rolleyes: Don't worry folks, we're all focused on the innocent victims in this case, and that includes Susan.

I'm with Steft - the Powells need to keep whatever services they hold for the killer low-key and private.

MaryAnn
02-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Ben Winslow

BenWinslow Ben Winslow

Gee, I wonder why they weren't this upset when Susan went missing. What a bunch of crazy hypocrytes! Maybe Josh should have not logged into Facebook if it bothered him that much, maybe he should have been out working so he didn't have so much free time to browse facebook. What a croc of bull!!

Rhyme & Reason
02-08-2012, 08:40 PM
A "grown" "man" should have been stronger and better than whatever is said about him online (as well as media and public opinion) for his children, especially if he is the main benefactor after their mother goes missing when he claims he had no part in it.

Cyber bulling? Baloney. Stop trying to skirt around that your cousin was sick and twisted and went to great lengths to hurt many people (his family and friends included) to have his selfish needs met.

Also, the Powell family should stay off line, imo. I personally don't want to hear from you unless SP is ready to talk.

Yeah, what she said! ^^^^^^^^

Rhyme & Reason
02-09-2012, 12:53 AM
Not worried!

Neither am I. Bring it on..

gwenabob
02-09-2012, 01:01 AM
How many siblings did Josh have?

Two brothers and two sisters.

gwenabob
02-09-2012, 01:16 AM
I must have missed it, I don't recall a million dollar life insurance policy. However, even if there was one, he can't cash in on a missing person, nor a murdered person if he is a suspect. I will say that if anyone ever takes a million dollar life insurance policy out for you, run. Unless you do it yourself, and don't tell you spouse/loved ones about it. Guess I'm just paranoid like that, no one can love me enough to take out a monthly payment into a million dollar life insurance policy, even if I would have the same for them, nope, not happening here.

I never knew about the life insurance policy either. It had not been mentioned anywhere that I know of. I just found out from the attorney in the video a few posts back.

gwenabob
02-09-2012, 01:18 AM
So he asked cousin to step in and act as patriarch of the Powell family in SP's absence. What does that mean exactly? Is this like a mafia thing, when one don is sent to prison, another is appointed to take over the criminal activities? Or does this mean that the original plan was for JP to kill himself, not the kids, leaving cousin to fight for custody of the boys? And why would JP ask him to take over the partiarcial duties anyway? Was JP not able to handle his own affairs like any other adult?

ETA: One statement has me asking a question related to Susan's death. They say they told Josh that if he had any credible facts no matter how disturbing that he should present them. Is he hinting that perhaps the murder might have been committed by someone else? Someone that JP was protecting?

It is a little reassuring (too little, too late) that they are now acknowledging that there was no excuse for the deaths of little Charles and Braden.

It makes me think that one of Josh's plans may have been to secrete the boys with his aunt and uncle to keep them from the Coxes.

gwenabob
02-09-2012, 01:20 AM
Brooke4Trib Brooke Adams

Good idea. Delay it indefinitely. In fact, just cancel it. Send me the ashes and I'll flush them down the toilet. Done.

Pensfan
02-09-2012, 03:16 AM

Yeah, or was it like a Jonestown (Jim Jones) evil cult "thing"?

There must have been some really warped boundary issues with all those adults siblings living like sardines in Steven's cult-like home.

passionflower
02-09-2012, 10:46 AM
With jp gone,sp in jail, the tension, bills, lawyers, investigations....
I can imagine the tight family unit falling apart .

STGSouth
02-09-2012, 10:49 AM
If Josh Powell had simply committed suicide I MIGHT could understand the Powell family making those statements, but since he MURDERED his two innocent little boys then I don't give a rat's hiney about their excuses for Josh! There is NO amount of abuse and harassment you could heep on me that would make me kill my children!

Therefor, I have NO sympathy for any of the Powell friends/family taking up for Josh.

belleyes
02-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Can someone clarify something for me....

I thought one of the sisters was in support of Susan. Not AP but another one that is married and the husband was on the morning news. *I may have misunderstood*TIA

Kimster
02-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Can someone clarify something for me....

I thought one of the sisters was in support of Susan. Not AP but another one that is married and the husband was on the morning news. *I may have misunderstood*TIA

Yes. Jennifer Graves has broken ties with the Powell family to support Susan and the Cox family.

dunlurken
02-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Good idea. Delay it indefinitely. In fact, just cancel it. Send me the ashes and I'll flush them down the toilet. Done.

Nothing funny about this incident, but I must admit your post gave me a chuckle. What a POS Josh Powell is/was. And a coward too. First a POI, then a POS. LE/CPS dropped the ball on this one, IMO. :maddening:

Kimster
02-09-2012, 03:13 PM
I just saw this in the news. I think the family needs to keep quiet.

"the Leaches praise Powell for the restraint, patience and dignity they say he displayed during the ordeal, and suggest that he was a man driven to take his own life and the lives of his children:

In our hearts and minds we feel that this family tragedy was set into motion from the beginning due in part to the various questionable government agencies' practices, religious bias, the internet kangaroo courts, and sensationalized news media, all of whom have circumvented the laws that protect all of our rights to due process. We believe that the stewardship of the responsibilities that have been entrusted to those organizations and individuals has been completely compromised. America, this is not only a tragedy, Sunday was a dark day for all of our families."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2012/02/family-portrays-josh-powell-as-the-victim-driven-to-kill-his-two-sons.html

cleo612
02-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Oh my.

Josh Powell's Sister: Josh Was Protecting His Sons When He Murdered Them

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2012/02/josh-powell-s-sister-josh-was-protecting-his-sons-when-he-murdered-them

21merc7
02-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Oh my.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2012/02/josh-powell-s-sister-josh-was-protecting-his-sons-when-he-murdered-them

Wow. Acceptance is going to be a torturous and long road for her.

flipflop
02-09-2012, 04:06 PM
I just saw the tail end of Dr Phil today, they said that this case is going to be on Dr Phil on Friday.

http://drphil.com/

nomoresorrow
02-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Oh my.

Thanks for posting this cleo. Does anyone know if AP has kids? I sure hope not because, IMO, with this type of thinking, she would be a danger to her own children! JMO~

karen7868
02-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Oh my.

I saw this today and I phyiscally felt sick because heard on a reality show I watch that radaronline.com pays upwards to $25,000 for interviews.

Please tell me they are not profiting off this heinous act committed on their own nephews by their own evil brother.

This just burns me up.

tezi
02-09-2012, 05:22 PM
She really needs to be quiet. Seriously. She might be facing charges herself for refusing to turn over her phone, so she goes on TV and says Josh was "protecting" the boys when he killed them? She has a very warped idea of what "protection" is....

JMO, MOO, IMO, and all other disclaimers.

LinasK
02-09-2012, 05:32 PM
She really needs to be quiet. Seriously. She might be facing charges herself for refusing to turn over her phone, so she goes on TV and says Josh was "protecting" the boys when he killed them? She has a very warped idea of what "protection" is....

JMO, MOO, IMO, and all other disclaimers.
Once again the Powell family is sounding like Casey Anthony's family with their opposites. Abuse = "Protection", loving (Cox family)="Abuse", killing your child(ren)= "good parent"- from the Powell family dictionary, that is...

sherbetjello
02-09-2012, 05:48 PM
You know what, I actually want her to talk more.
I wanted them to remain out of the public eye, but keep talking.
Maybe she will talk so much that she will spill the beans - that is a trend in a lot of cases.

Keep talking AP. Tell the public (that cares to watch,... like LE) everrrrrything.

[EDIT:]

"Josh Powell's Sister Interview"
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/josh-powells-sister-interview-15545562

At 2:54 into this interview, she goes from softly sobbing to super serious at the drop of a hat.

SilkySifaka
02-09-2012, 08:00 PM
http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/westboro-baptist-church-stage-anti-gay-protest-pow/nHYhF/

"I have just received confirmation that the Westboro Baptist Church is planning to protest my nephews' funeral. This is a horrible, disdainful act that serves no purpose other than to continue the years-long objectification of those little boys. Charlie and Braden were not trophies to be won and paraded around; they were not bait to ferret out 'guilt' in a man; they were not 'evidence' in a 'crime'; and they most certainly arenot political pawns to be used by a church to spread yet more messages of HATE! They are only little boys and they deserve better! I am LIVID that my nephews continue to be used as a tactical maneuver, and I am LIVID that their service will be besmirched by an event a loving God would never approve! Please let my nephews rest in peace!! Hate has taken far too great a toll on us ALL already!--Please, STOP THE HATE!"

IzzyBlanche
02-09-2012, 11:07 PM
I just posted this on the Media Links thread, but I wonder how the Powells will spin this to defend Josh:

Detective: Josh Powell computer depicted parent-child sex

SEATTLE -- A computer in Josh Powell's former home in Utah had animated images that depicted "incestuous" sex between parent and child, Pierce County authorities said, and a state official said the material prompted a judge to order Powell to undergo a psycho-sexual evaluation just days before he killed his children and himself.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/09/10366586-detective-josh-powell-computer-depicted-parent-child-sex

As my friends and I used to say in high school, "Gag a maggot."

tiredblondy
02-09-2012, 11:19 PM
I just posted this on the Media Links thread, but I wonder how the Powells will spin this to defend Josh:

SEATTLE -- A computer in Josh Powell's former home in Utah had animated images that depicted "incestuous" sex between parent and child, Pierce County authorities said, and a state official said the material prompted a judge to order Powell to undergo a psycho-sexual evaluation just days before he killed his children and himself.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/09/10366586-detective-josh-powell-computer-depicted-parent-child-sex

I really suspect he was abused by his dad (or the poor excuse of a man he had for a dad) There are some sick secrets in that family .

rbrnmw2
02-09-2012, 11:31 PM
Oh my.

Dear Lord what a sick and twisted evil bunch these "people" are!!!

rbrnmw2
02-09-2012, 11:33 PM
http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/westboro-baptist-church-stage-anti-gay-protest-pow/nHYhF/

They are evil and spread nothing but hate

nomoresorrow
02-09-2012, 11:50 PM

Wait a minute - They found this on Josh's computer in 2009 AND they didn't arrest him then? When did the grandparents get custody of the boys? Wasn't it after this? I'm going to have a heart attack... OMG!

essies
02-10-2012, 12:18 AM

WTF:banghead:
If that is true-those boys should have been taken from Josh as soon as that discovery was made!! And they should have never been living in Steve Powell's house either!! I am beside myself!! This is getting beyond insane-this tragedy could have been avoided. The Cox's certainly deserve an explanation why things were handled as they were!!:maddening:

dovebar
02-10-2012, 02:23 AM
It may not be illegal to have animated images - just as it's not illegal to have video games that depict murder. I don't know this for sure, just speculating.

Maybe that's why we heard earlier that the images were depraved but not illegal.

This family is very practiced at their generational crime.

Backwoods
02-10-2012, 02:48 AM
I've started a thread for discussion about the reports of "incestuous" images.

CHERIE.T
02-10-2012, 02:54 AM
Dear Lord what a sick and twisted evil bunch these "people" are!!!

Ya this gene pool needs to stop creating. None of us needed more sick bad news. Those poor little boys:(

imho

ThoughtFox
02-10-2012, 03:05 AM
Oh my.

Her previous "blame game" statements were just irritating, but this one makes me furious. :maddening:

Now we know this family can rationalize literally anything. Her father taught her well, I guess. :furious: