PDA

View Full Version : Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno fired, dies; cover-up charged #9

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

wfgodot
04-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Please continue discussion here on the Penn State/Sandusky/Second Mile case.

Earlier threads:

Thread #1

Thread #2

Thread #3

Thread #4

Thread #5

Thread #6

Thread #7

Thread #8

wfgodot
04-20-2012, 12:40 PM
I'll start by once again congratulating Sara Ganim for her great reporting. That Pulitzer? Well-deserved.

Reader
04-20-2012, 06:40 PM
I'll start by once again congratulating Sara Ganim for her great reporting. That Pulitzer? Well-deserved.

I'll second that!

Reader
04-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Penn State pays Paterno family under his contract

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?ps=987&rip_id=%3CD9U8C98O1%40news.ap.org%3E&news_id=18906425&src=most_popular_viewed&page=1

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — Penn State has agreed to provide millions in payments and benefits to Joe Paterno's estate and family members under the late football coach's employment contract, although a family lawyer says the Paternos did not sign away their right to sue.

The school turned over four checks Thursday worth more than $3 million for bonuses that covered the season, bowl game and entire career, according to a university spokeswoman.

A breakdown provided by Penn State included the use by Paterno's family of a Beaver Stadium suite for 25 years and $900,000 from television and radio revenue from last season. Half the broadcast revenues were paid in February, and the rest will be paid later this year, the school said.

Paterno family lawyer Wick Sollers issued a statement Thursday saying there has been no settlement but rather "a straightforward payment of moneys indisputably owed to the Paterno estate. The university had requested that the family agree to a full release in return for the payments under the contract. That request was declined and no release was signed."

Without a release, Paterno's estate could still sue under the contract or some other reason, if it wishes.
------

While the school said in a news release that the total value of the package was "over $5.5 million," added together the various elements are worth about $6.7 million. The stadium suite was valued at $1.5 million.

More at link....

Reader
04-20-2012, 06:51 PM
From StellarsJay on the last thread:

Lauro met with Sandusky? Either I've missed it or this is the only mention of anyone meeting with Sandusky other than listening to his conversations with the kid's mother. That's one of the wierd things- he didn't ever seem to be questioned by campus police in 1998.

Added- My mistake, I found the citation for JS telling Lauro he wouldn't shower with kids again- but still no mention that the police ever spoke to Sandusky. OK- I see JJ's note- I missed that.

That information was in one of the original articles S. Ganim wrote on the JS scandal...it's posted way back....will see if I can find it again...here it is:

According to the presentment, Lauro testified that he and Schreffler interviewed Sandusky. Sandusky admitted hugging the boy in the shower and admitted it was wrong, Lauro testified.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/who_knew_what_about_jerry_sand.html

Reader
04-20-2012, 09:30 PM
JERRY SANDUSKY INVESTIGATION
Our Pulitzer Prize-winning coverage plus the latest news on the scandal

http://www.pennlive.com/jerry-sandusky/pulitzer/#pulitzer

Rlaub44
04-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Sources are reporting that assistant AD Mark Sherburne was fired for mishandling documents related to AD Tim Curley and the Sandusky investigation.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/04/penn_state_assistant_athletic_2.html

StellarsJay
04-21-2012, 08:57 PM
Maybe Sherburne kept documents that admin hoped had been destroyed?

Rlaub44
04-21-2012, 10:32 PM

Perhaps, but if he had information administration wanted to keep quiet, it would be more likely they would want to keep him in the fold. Now you have a disgruntled former employee that can testify to your attempts at a cover-up.

There were commenters on the Patriot-News site that claimed that Sherburne was the first one directed to fire Paterno and refused. No idea if this is true or not, but if there is anything to it, Dr. Joyner (current acting AD) probably didn't trust Sherburne to be a team player.

J. J. in Phila
04-21-2012, 10:34 PM

That would not be grounds for firing, in this environment. Further, there would be whistle blower laws involved.

StellarsJay
04-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Just finished reading the Kindle version of Game Over and don't see where the Paterno family has much ground to complain. About 30% of the book is Paterno's career at Penn State in great lauditory detail, and maybe 4% says that it seems likely that he knew about 1988, was a bit cool to Sandusky, and faults him for never following up on the 2002 report. Speculated that his short Grand Jury testimony tried not to implicate Penn Sate admin.

However the book uses Paterno, and not Sandusky, as its central unifying theme, symbolic of Penn State as a whole, from cover picture to the first and final chapters.
It has bits that I have never heard, such as that the boys assaulted included African-Amerian kids. Quite a bit on the coverup, it makes clear how much coverup there was at Second Mile.

Outdated already, (or maybe prescient?) the authors predict that Sandusky's trial won't proceed until 2013.

J. J. in Phila
04-22-2012, 07:35 PM
Just finished reading the Kindle version of Game Over and don't see where the Paterno family has much ground to complain. About 30% of the book is Paterno's career at Penn State in great lauditory detail, and maybe 4% says that it seems likely that he knew about 1988, was a bit cool to Sandusky, and faults him for never following up on the 2002 report. Speculated that his short Grand Jury testimony tried not to implicate Penn Sate admin.

I think a lot of what the family complained about is that they repeated the public statements from others that Paterno "had" to know about 1998. I have not seen any actual evidence of that (and Sandusky retired more than a year later). The thing is that it was handled by the DA's Office, off campus, so I could see how Paterno wouldn't know.

BigCat
04-24-2012, 08:46 AM
I just finished reading "Game Over" and I have to agree with StellarsJay: not much there for the Paternos to complain about. All discussion of what Paterno knew in 98 takes up no more than 2 pages. It includes a quote from a former graduate assistant, Matt Paknis, that's been in the public domain for a while now:

He (Paterno) knew everything that was going on at that campus. For him to state he didn't know, or that he was not aware, it's total denial. That whole community was in denial. If this would have come out in 1998, Joe would've been out, or his name would have been tarnished. They tried to push it under the rug as long as possible. Joe is the dean, the master. How could he not have know? A fish rots from the head first. The image was more important than the health and well-being of kids.

There is also a quote from former Oklahoma football coach Barry Switzer. Again, nothing new:

Having been in the profession a long time and knowing how close coaching staffs are, I knew that this was a secret that was kept secret. Everyone on that staff had to have known.

The only information I haven't seen elsewhere is a quote from a Pennyslvania state trooper with knowledge of the Sandusky investigation:

It's a no-brainer. He knew what the light bill was in that place.

IMO, Paknis is correct that if sexual abuse allegations had been made public in 98, Paterno was done. The need for a coverup explains why Gricar didn't press charges in 98. It explains why Sandusky "retired" in 99. Joe's image had to be protected at all costs. They (the Paterno family, some members of the Penn State community) are STILL obsessed with protecting his image.

Note in the last paragraph I said nothing about what Paterno did or what he knew. That's not the issue for me. The issue is to what extent people will go to protect the myth of JoePa, and the consequences for those who are perceived as having tarnished that myth (see "One-Term Tommy").

pinktoes
04-24-2012, 12:13 PM
Gary Sinderson was quiet for awhile but he has another brief article. Snipping here; quote follows his reporting about Sherburne's dismissal. He says that a source close to that situation said:

"...new information obtained could be "devastating" to the court cases..." of Curley and Schultz.

http://www.wjactv.com/news/news/recently-fired-psu-official-connected-perjury-case/nMgQg/

J. J. in Phila
04-24-2012, 08:10 PM
IMO, Paknis is correct that if sexual abuse allegations had been made public in 98, Paterno was done. The need for a coverup explains why Gricar didn't press charges in 98. It explains why Sandusky "retired" in 99. Joe's image had to be protected at all costs. They (the Paterno family, some members of the Penn State community) are STILL obsessed with protecting his image.

Note in the last paragraph I said nothing about what Paterno did or what he knew. That's not the issue for me. The issue is to what extent people will go to protect the myth of JoePa, and the consequences for those who are perceived as having tarnished that myth (see "One-Term Tommy").

I think Paterno could have easily survived 1998, if the case was prosecuted. It didn't involve Paterno directly. He could have just said, "I didn't know and the cops handled it."

The whole Central Pennsylvania Gothic part is the idea of a cover-up. Had 1998 been prosecuted, there would have been no suggestion of a cover-up.

J. J. in Phila
04-24-2012, 08:19 PM
Gary Sinderson was quiet for awhile but he has another brief article. Snipping here; quote follows his reporting about Sherburne's dismissal. He says that a source close to that situation said:

"...new information obtained could be "devastating" to the court cases..." of Curley and Schultz.

http://www.wjactv.com/news/news/recently-fired-psu-official-connected-perjury-case/nMgQg/

I think Schultz almost as good as convicted now. I'm wondering if it might have been messages about what McQueary reported.

StellarsJay
04-24-2012, 10:14 PM
This is the fullest timeline I've seen. http://citizensvoice.com/news/timeline-sandusky-s-double-life-in-public-a-saint-in-private-an-alleged-monster-1.1234866#axzz1sYNIlucT

Here's an excerpt over 1998-9 when Jerry decides to quit.

** May 13, 1998: Detectives listen in as the mother of Victim 6 confronts Sandusky about showering with her son and the effect it had on her son. She asks Sandusky if he had sexual feelings when he hugged her naked son. Sandusky admits showering with other boys as well, but refuses to promise that he never to shower with a boy again. The mother of Victim 6 asks Sandusky if his "private parts" touched Victim 6 when he hugged him. Sandusky says, "I don't think so ... maybe."

** May 15, 1998: Sandusky speaks at State College Area High School commencement ceremonies at the Bryce Jordan Center on the Penn State campus.

** May 19, 1998: Sandusky meets again with the mother of Victim 6, who says he cannot see the boy anymore. Sandusky, overheard by two detectives who are listening in, says: "I understand. I was wrong. I wish I could get forgiveness. I know I won't get it from you. I wish I were dead."

** June 1, 1998: Sandusky admits to Jerry Lauro, an investigator with the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare, that he showered naked with Victim 6 and hugged the boy while in the shower. He concedes that his behavior is wrong and promises not to shower with any child again.

June 19, 1998: Sandusky hosts the annual Second Mile golf outing.

** Jan. 1, 1999: Sandusky coaches in Penn State's 26-14 win over Kentucky in the Outback Bowl. Victim 4 tells investigators he traveled to the bowl game with Sandusky's family party. The same boy said he often stayed with Sandusky and the team at the Toftrees resort near the Penn State campus the night before home games and accompanied Sandusky to charity outings.

** May 1999: Paterno tells Sandusky that he would not be the next coach. Victim 4 later tells investigators he remembered Sandusky being upset after seeing Paterno. Sandusky told the victim not to tell anyone about the meeting.

July 1, 1999: Athletic director Tim Curley issues a press release announcing Sandusky's decision to retire following the 1999 season. The release says Sandusky planned to devote himself full-time to his charity, The Second Mile. In his 2000 autobiography, "Touched," Sandusky says he decided to leave after he "came to the realization I was not destined to become the head football coach at Penn State." Curley calls Sandusky "an integral part of Penn State" and "an inspiration to everyone inside and outside the program." His achievement as a human being, Curley says, "is splendidly demonstrated by the thousands of youngsters he touches annually through The Second Mile."

Speculation: If campus police came so close in 1998 with victim 6, were they and others watching Sandusky's treatment of victim 4 and finding it creepy if not criminal? Did Jerry get pushed because of something else he did at that time?
Whatever happened when he quit happened fast.

J. J. in Phila
04-25-2012, 01:02 AM
Speculation: If campus police came so close in 1998 with victim 6, were they and others watching Sandusky's treatment of victim 4 and finding it creepy if not criminal? Did Jerry get pushed because of something else he did at that time?
Whatever happened when he quit happened fast.

I think that one of the problems with this (or perhaps the only problem) is the time lapse.

The University Police, and Gary Schultz, knew about Victim 6 by June 2, 1998. Sandusky didn't make his announcement until July 1999 and was still coaching until December. That's an 18 month gap.

I would add that, at the start of the 1998 Season, Jay Paterno was promoted.

BigCat
04-25-2012, 08:23 AM
That statment by Curley -- "His achievement as a human being is splendidly demonstrated by the thousands of youngsters he touches annually through The Second Mile -- is about as creepy as it gets. I assume Curley is an intelligent man. It's hard to believe he could have known about the investigation in 98 and used that language.

BigCat
04-25-2012, 08:51 AM
I think that one of the problems with this (or perhaps the only problem) is the time lapse.

The University Police, and Gary Schultz, knew about Victim 6 by June 2, 1998. Sandusky didn't make his announcement until July 1999 and was still coaching until December. That's an 18 month gap.

I would add that, at the start of the 1998 Season, Jay Paterno was promoted.

But there is only 5 months in between victim 4 attending the Outback Bowl with Sandusky and Paterno telling Sandusky that he would not be Penn State's next head football coach.

The progression reminds me very much of an addict whose addictive behavior gets steadily worse over time. He barely avoids prosecution in June 1998 and promises it won't happen again. Of course, he doesn't stop. He can't stop. In fact, his behavior becomes more egregious, forcing his enablers to break through their denial. He is forced to retire. But the addiction is not addressed. It's not going to stop. It's not going to go away. He back in trouble in 2002. As a result, he's not allowed to bring children on campus. Once again, the addictive behavior is not address. He continues to molest children. Eventually he winds up driving to Clinton County to groom a child. A long way from the time he was able to "wine and dine" children at bowl games as a member of Penn State's coaching staff. He's finally hit his bottom. He's arrested. He, we pray, will never molest children again.

The above scenario is played out within families over and over. The family attempts to coverup one of the family member's addictive behavior and the behavior only escalates. But the addict will hit bottom, sooner or later. JMO.

ThoughtFox
04-25-2012, 08:53 AM
That statment by Curley -- "His achievement as a human being is splendidly demonstrated by the thousands of youngsters he touches annually through The Second Mile -- is about as creepy as it gets. I assume Curley is an intelligent man. It's hard to believe he could have known about the investigation in 98 and used that language.

That literally made me shudder while reading it. If nothing else, it's incredibly insensitive to the victims. :maddening:

pinktoes
04-25-2012, 10:12 AM
Can someone remind me why Barbara Petito had been in the State College/Bellefonte area shortly before that press release about the drug bust (photo showing gricar, corbett and others) in 2005?

I'm cross-posting this on Missing/Gricar thread because I need help with this question from people who may read there but not here.

A lot of these press and PR folks know each other. And, I think, know things that haven't been made public. Petito, formerly AG office's spokesperson, had also headed up reporting on the State College beat for wjactv, and Gary Sinderson was there at the time (and since 1983) and took over that beat sometime after BP left.

Bill Moushey, co-author of the new book Game Over, also did some AP writing (without byline). I just read an AP article out of Johnstown from Jan 2002 where Petito made a statement for AG's office about a non-related fraud case.

And recently Petito surfaced again. Hoping the competitive spirit will get us more investigative reporting.

(BTW, for some reason I'm unable to get my clicks on the thanks button to post, but I'm thanking you guys on my end. Consider yourselves thanked by pinktoes. Another mystery)

Repeating my question: Can someone remind me why Barbara Petito had been in the State College/Bellefonte area shortly before that press release about the drug bust (photo showing gricar, corbett and others) in 2005?

J. J. in Phila
04-25-2012, 11:33 AM

According to Schultz, he never told Curley about the 1998 (Victim 6). Harmon didn't indicate that he told Curley. Harmon did tell Schultz (I'm not sure he's denying it either).

For 1998, all road lead to Schultz, on campus.

J. J. in Phila
04-25-2012, 11:55 AM
Repeating my question: Can someone remind me why Barbara Petito had been in the State College/Bellefonte area shortly before that press release about the drug bust (photo showing gricar, corbett and others) in 2005?

That is a good question. Until SG's latest article, I had not known they had crossed paths two weeks before.

The announcement was in State College: http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/press.aspx?id=86

The only thing I could figure is that she was part of the press staff with Corbett, possibly because she was familiar with the area.

pinktoes
04-25-2012, 03:47 PM
That is a good question. Until SG's latest article, I had not known they had crossed paths two weeks before.

The announcement was in State College: http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/press.aspx?id=86

The only thing I could figure is that she was part of the press staff with Corbett, possibly because she was familiar with the area.

TY, JJ. I'm so suspicious now, I'm verifying in several places what I read. So far I've found actual press releases authored by Petito into 2005, but not past Ray's disappearance date. Still looking.

Petito does say she was AG's Deputy Press Sec till 2006. That's from her Linked-In, though, and sometimes people give kinda loose dates on that. If all I've seen is correct, she was still in that AG press position past the date gricar disappeared. (Just away at her relative's event during the crucial time).

snip from her Linked-in:

Deputy Press Secretary Public Protection Division
Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General

Government Agency; 501-1000 employees; Law Enforcement industry

1997 – 2006 (9 years) Harrisburg, Pennsylvania Area

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/barbara-petito/b/a12/53a

It's interesting that she left the AG's and went to National Center for Missing and Exploited Children for 2 yrs. as media mgr.

J. J. in Phila
04-25-2012, 04:05 PM
TY, JJ. I'm so suspicious now, I'm verifying in several places what I read. So far I've found actual press releases authored by Petito into 2005, but not past Ray's disappearance date. Still looking.

Petito does say she was AG's Deputy Press Sec till 2006. That's from her Linked-In, though, and sometimes people give kinda loose dates on that. If all I've seen is correct, she was still in that AG press position past the date gricar disappeared. (Just away at her relative's event during the crucial time).

snip from her Linked-in:

Deputy Press Secretary Public Protection Division
Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General

Government Agency; 501-1000 employees; Law Enforcement industry

1997 – 2006 (9 years) Harrisburg, Pennsylvania Area

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/barbara-petito/b/a12/53a

It's interesting that she left the AG's and went to National Center for Missing and Exploited Children for 2 yrs. as media mgr.

I have, in the past years, seen some media references to her after 4/15/05, but I know that she left about 18 months after the disappearance and went to the next place.

I found two press released she wrote in July 2005. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Orlady/Stuff_I%27m_working_on

Here is one from July 2006: http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-148243443.html

Here is one from about 3 1/2 weeks after RFG disappeared: http://articles.mcall.com/2005-05-07/news/3606957_1_manson-restitution-unclaimed-freight

I think it would be far better to discuss anything about Ms. Petito on the Gricar thread, since she not involved in the Sandusky case.

wfgodot
04-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Penn State Will Pay Two PR Firms $2.5 Million To Help School "Rebuild Trust" (http://deadspin.com/5905132/penn-state-will-pay-two-pr-firms-25-million-to-help-school-rebuild-trust) (Deadspin)

Tipstaff
04-28-2012, 08:40 AM
Sandusky lawyer called improper

By Paula Reed Ward / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The lead prosecutor in the case against former Penn State football coach Jerry Sandusky filed an unusual motion in Centre County Court Friday, accusing the defense of improperly using subpoenas and violating an order that protects the names of the alleged victims in the case.

Senior Deputy Attorney General Joseph McGettigan accused defense attorney Joseph Amendola of revealing the names of people known in court records as "Victims 1 through 10 in a number of subpoenas he's served, including to the Pennsylvania State Police, a Clinton County school district and the Penn State University police."

The remainder of the article can be read at

www.postgazette.com

Tipstaff
04-28-2012, 08:56 AM
More from the Post Gazette article written by Paula Reed Ward 4/28/12.

Senior Judge John M. Cleland previously issued an order directing that
the names of the victims identified in the two grand jury presentments against Mr. Sandusky "shall remain protected under the seal of the court and may not be disclosed by any person, except pursuant to court order or other authorization of the court."

According to the March 13 order, subpoenas must include with them a notice, in all capital letters and at least 18-point font the following:

"The name or any identifying information of the person for whom the records or other information is sought is protected by the seal of the court. Under potential penalty of contempt of court, the person's name or identifying information may not be disclosed to any person except as required to comply with this subpoena."

According to the attorney general's motion, Mr. Amendola complied with providing the required notice, yet still included the names of the victims in either the body of the subpoena, in attachments or in cover letters.

"The commonwealth need not underscore to this honorable court the spectacular irresponsibility of treating secret information in that fashion," Mr. McGettigan wrote.

He alleges that the way Mr. Amendola handled his subpoena power is "manifestly improper."

Again the article continues www.postgazette.com today 4/18/12

StellarsJay
04-30-2012, 12:45 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7863335/attorney-general-objects-defense-subpoena-use-jerry-sandusky-trial

I'd like to see any answer to this question:
"The defense lawyer also subpoenaed Steve Shelow, director of Penn State University Police Services, for various records pertaining to eight of Sandusky's 10 alleged victims.

He also asked Shelow for audio and video recordings made during a 1998 investigation that began when a mother complained that her son had showered with Sandusky. Amendola's letter to Shelow said the '98 investigation had been reclassified from an "incident investigation" to an "administrative file," and the defense wants to know who made that decision.
Amendola asked Shelow for directives from Penn State's board, president or other officials "that mandated/directed the 1998 Sandusky investigation be handled in any particular manner/fashion by the PSU police department." The 1998 investigation was closed without charges being filed, but the boy in that matter is one of the alleged victims in the current case."

How long are old investigation files normally kept?

Rlaub44
05-03-2012, 06:24 PM
WJAC-TV from Johnstown spoke with Ben Novak, who was on the PSU Board of Trustees from 1988-2000, and is currently running again. He said that Sandusky's predilections were pretty well-known as far back as the early 90's, saying (paraphrased) "Everybody knew to keep your boys away from Jerry Sandusky."

He was most critical of Shultz and Spanier, observing that the law was clear to report up the chain of command to the head of the institution, and noted that was where everything stopped.

I wish I had a link, but the website doesn't have anything related to the interview, which aired at 5 and 6 this evening. If I find any supporting links, I will be sure to post them.

HMSHood
05-03-2012, 06:37 PM
WJAC-TV from Johnstown spoke with Ben Novak, who was on the PSU Board of Trustees from 1988-2000, and is currently running again. He said that Sandusky's predilections were pretty well-known as far back as the early 90's, saying (paraphrased) "Everybody knew to keep your boys away from Jerry Sandusky."

He was most critical of Shultz and Spanier, observing that the law was clear to report up the chain of command to the head of the institution, and noted that was where everything stopped.

I wish I had a link, but the website doesn't have anything related to the interview, which aired at 5 and 6 this evening. If I find any supporting links, I will be sure to post them.

I am not surprised by that. I have wondered if his adopted and foster children are victims as well.

Rlaub44
05-03-2012, 11:09 PM

Here is the link if anyone is interested.

http://www.wjactv.com/news/news/former-penn-state-trustee-speaks-out/nNQ94/

J. J. in Phila
05-04-2012, 01:18 AM
Here is the link if anyone is interested.

http://www.wjactv.com/news/news/former-penn-state-trustee-speaks-out/nNQ94/

That is damning.

azwriter
05-04-2012, 01:53 AM
I am not surprised by that. I have wondered if his adopted and foster children are victims as well.

HMSHood, that is a scary question but one that should be asked. I would suppose and hope officials have interviewed these children who are linked to Sandusky through adoption or foster care.

Who knows, there may be other charges coming on, or perhaps one or more among the 10 boys sited already, are his children or foster children. I can say if any of them are identified that way in court during his trial, it will be absolutely tragic. It's bad enough that children from Second Mile were vicitms. But imagine those who lived in the same household not being able to get away from him.

The more I hear, the sicker it gets. And, I personally know Jerry Sandusky.

JMO

J. J. in Phila
05-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Hear is an article looking at Amendola's defense strategy: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/04/3185127/amendola-looks-to-call-out-accusers.html

Basically, it is to hit the victims and say that there is a conspiracy.

Victims 1, 2, and 6 are not really subject to this.

Victim 1: Younger, not too connected to people in the 1990-2000 period. While no witnesses to the rape, there were witnesses to Sandusky's behavior around him. Reported contemporaneously.

Victim 2: Independent witness, McQueary, reported contemporaneously. No victim.

Victim 6: Reported contemporaneously. Multiple witnesses to Sandusky's admission. Not rape.

And that assumes that Amendola is successful in attacking all the other victim's credibility.

J. J. in Phila
05-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Court documents indicate there may be 17 victims in total: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/04/3186052/sandusky-defense-filing-mentions.html

We knew of one from the grand jury report, B. K. He was associated with Victim 6, but he could not testify as he was in the military and out of the country.

Reader
05-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Court documents indicate there may be 17 victims in total: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/04/3186052/sandusky-defense-filing-mentions.html

We knew of one from the grand jury report, B. K. He was associated with Victim 6, but he could not testify as he was in the military and out of the country.

From your link:

In the motion, Amendola asks for the names and additional details of accusers who have been identified as number 11 through 17, as well as those who are numbers 18 and beyond.

Amendola will blow a gasket trying to find out who all of these new victims are, LOL.....my answer, ask Jerry and Dottie....wonder if JS will give it up and want a deal since the victims keep increasing....what is his limit? 20? 50? I am really hoping he will and none of them will have to testify....

J. J. in Phila
05-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Amendola will blow a gasket trying to find out who all of these new victims are, LOL.....my answer, ask Jerry and Dottie....wonder if JS will give it up and want a deal since the victims keep increasing....what is his limit? 20? 50? I am really hoping he will and none of them will have to testify....

I should have said, "at least."
:(

It will be difficult to say that 14 are lying.

Reader
05-05-2012, 12:32 AM
I should have said, "at least."
:(

It will be difficult to say that 14 are lying.

No prob....:smile: thanks for the article...I haven't been keeping up lately...

Well, even tho it will make a better case for the state, it's sad to see that we were right....there are more victims out there...and these are just the ones that are willing to come forward and testify.

Yes, it will be difficult to say all these people are lying or in a conspiracy against JS....and even tho I do wish they didn't have to testify, in a way I want JS and Dottie to have to sit there and be shamed and humiliated by the horrible accounts of his crimes. I'm torn.....

J. J. in Phila
05-05-2012, 01:06 AM

Well, even tho it will make a better case for the state, it's sad to see that we were right....there are more victims out there...and these are just the ones that are willing to come forward and testify.

Yes, it will be difficult to say all these people are lying or in a conspiracy against JS....and even tho I do wish they didn't have to testify, in a way I want JS and Dottie to have to sit there and be shamed and humiliated by the horrible accounts of his crimes. I'm torn.....

I went back and looked at the original grand jury report. Victims 3, 4, 5, and 7 have no corroborating evidence. The whole thing thing with these are their credibility. Victim 8 has neither a direct witness nor a victim.

If the victims are not credible under oath, Sandusky could win all charges. They will have to testify (unless there is a plea deal). McQueary has to be credible, in regard to Victim 2.

Reader
05-05-2012, 01:29 AM
I went back and looked at the original grand jury report. Victims 3, 4, 5, and 7 have no corroborating evidence. The whole thing thing with these are their credibility. Victim 8 has neither a direct witness nor a victim.

If the victims are not credible under oath, Sandusky could win all charges. They will have to testify (unless there is a plea deal). McQueary has to be credible, in regard to Victim 2.

Yes, I did mean they wouldn't have to testify if JS made a deal...and as I said before he and his lawyerin' Joe might start thinking about it as more victims pile up...

I do believe we can't just go by what's in the GJ report at this point...I'm pretty sure the AG's office has been working on firming up these cases with the victims and finding other witnesses and proof to back them up if possible...such as JS's emails and phone calls to them...their mothers can verify how he called and visited to pick them up for trips and brought them gifts, friends can do the same...people at their schools can verify he visited them on campus, much like the other cases...there are ways and means to back up what they testify to about his actions...

StellarsJay
05-05-2012, 02:21 AM
Was the daughter-in-law, Matt's wife, saying only one of her kids complained about Jerry, or did than one?

Reader
05-05-2012, 03:53 AM
Was the daughter-in-law, Matt's wife, saying only one of her kids complained about Jerry, or did than one?

IIRC, I think it was just the son...I'll try to find the article about it tomorrow, unless somebody else can before I get back.

Tipstaff
05-05-2012, 01:21 PM

To add to your thoughts - if HLN or In Session covers this case LIVE it would be interesting to watch Sandusky's behavior in the court room - but I feel for the victims - perhaps they could testify and not be filmed.

StellarsJay
05-05-2012, 01:25 PM
More theories on the additional victims:
http://news.findlaw.com/apnews/e634cd9205e8433495d196549ab19cd7
and
"Another discovery request, dated March 27, sought nine documents that Amendola said were removed from football coach Joe Paterno's office and copied by state police. Amendola wrote that the documents had undergone a "supervised review" and been protected by a "police seal of evidence."

It was not clear what the documents were, or when the state police may have taken them."

Reader
05-05-2012, 03:55 PM

Former daughter-in-law said Sandusky abused her son

In Thomas' statement, she said that after the charges were filed against her former father-in-law, one of her three children [all sons] told her that Sandusky had “inappropriately touched” him.

She said she was told that there was not enough evidence to charge Sandusky from her son’s account, but a psychologist recommended counseling for him.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2012/02/14/new_sandusky_charges_.aspx

To add to your thoughts - if HLN or In Session covers this case LIVE it would be interesting to watch Sandusky's behavior in the court room - but I feel for the victims - perhaps they could testify and not be filmed.

Yes, this is one I will certainly watch if possible, and agree about Sandusky. Hope there is someway they can protect the victims' identities but not sure in a criminal trial (right to confront your accuser?) and since most are now adults. IDK, anyone else?

More theories on the additional victims:
http://news.findlaw.com/apnews/e634cd9205e8433495d196549ab19cd7
and
"Another discovery request, dated March 27, sought nine documents that Amendola said were removed from football coach Joe Paterno's office and copied by state police. Amendola wrote that the documents had undergone a "supervised review" and been protected by a "police seal of evidence."

It was not clear what the documents were, or when the state police may have taken them."

This is a great article and has more details about the additional victims...it seems they may be accusers but charges are not made for their cases. Also has information about Curley and Schultz wanting their cases thrown out.

The criminal charges against the former Penn State assistant football coach only pertain to boys named as Victims 1 through 10 in court records.

The April 16 discovery request asked for information on "uncharged conduct evidence," while the one filed a week later pertained to employment records.

The court filing did not name the people, explain what might make them accusers or indicate what role, if any, they play in the criminal case in which Sandusky has denied all allegations.

"This in all likelihood means that there are other people who have come forward who have accused him of improper sexual conduct," said Wes Oliver, a Widener Law School professor who specializes in criminal law.

Reader
05-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Curley, Schultz seek dismissal of cases

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/05/3186420/curley-schultz-seek-dismissal.html

The two former Penn State administrators who are facing perjury charges for testimony they gave in the Jerry Sandusky case argue there isn’t enough evidence for the case to continue.

Judge in Sandusky case orders a hearing on subpoenas

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/02/3182930/attorney-for-local-school-districts.html

Senior Judge John Cleland will hold a hearing May 9 on filings by two school districts and The Second Mile that subpoenas from Jerry Sandusky's attorney aren't valid.

The Mifflin County and Keystone Central school districts, along with The Second Mile, filed motions asking Cleland to quash the Sandusky subpoenas seeking information including student records, psychological evaluations, grade reports and attendance records.

Mifflin County and Keystone Central argue the information requested in the subpoenas is protected and the defense doesn't have a right to the records.

More at links....

Quiche
05-05-2012, 07:23 PM
More Penn State child sex abuse accusers: defense

(Reuters) - There may be more accusers than originally thought in the Penn State University scandal involving former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, who has been charged with sexually abusing 10 boys, according to court filings.

Sandusky attorney Joseph Amendola, in legal papers filed on Thursday in Common Pleas Court in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania, made a reference to "accusers 11 through 17 as well as 18 through an unknown number."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/05/us-usa-crime-pennstate-idUSBRE84409W20120505

We knew it, though, didn't we? I'm thinking Amendola will try to use these boys to debunk Sanducky's modus operandi (which looks pretty darn unwavering in victims 1-10, imo). It's a tight rope they're trying to walk-- not sure it's going to work for them because I'm sure the prosecution is more than ready for any cheap trick they can pull out of the hat. As a matter of fact, I'm sensing a spectacular backfire. jmo

ohiogirl
05-05-2012, 11:58 PM
They ae desparate grasping at anything that they feel will possibly stick.
It may be too late at this point for JS' defense. You have to try anything, I guess.

azwriter
05-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Oh sure! Attack the victims. Discredit them. That's a very risky defense. And it's like harming the victims all over again.

Jerry's a goner.

jmo

J. J. in Phila
05-06-2012, 11:37 PM
Oh sure! Attack the victims. Discredit them. That's a very risky defense. And it's like harming the victims all over again.

Jerry's a goner.

jmo

Amendola is probably trying to see what he's up against. It looks like it is a lot.

Quiche
05-07-2012, 12:09 PM
I feel most defendants facing this kind of trial would take a deal, bow out of it as intact as he can, save his family the horror show. But Jerry is a "defensive" pro, himself-- and I think he'll savor the game, whether he wins it or not, he's in the fight of his life.

I also feel that he'd enjoy being the center of these young men's attention again, he's sick like that. And Dottie? Well, I'll be surprised if she's not embroiled in her own legal defense within a very short time. jmo

Meanwhile...

New PSU trustees elected in Sandusky aftermath

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) — Penn State alumni elected three new members to the university board of trustees, including a well-known former football player who recovered from a spinal cord injury and a businessman who has criticized the board's actions after Jerry Sandusky's arrest in a child sex-abuse scandal.

Alumni elected lawyer Adam Taliaferro, who played for the late coach Joe Paterno; prominent donor and outspoken board critic Anthony Lubrano; and retired U.S. Navy captain Ryan McCombie.

Election results were announced Friday following more than three weeks of online voting that drew a record turnout of at least 37,000. The new trustees begin their three-year terms July 1.

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/article/New-PSU-trustees-elected-in-Sandusky-aftermath-3533818.php#ixzz1uCSGRgKc

...and Louis Freeh has been verrrrrry busy.

Penn State University trustee: 400 interviewed in Sandusky inquiry

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) — Former FBI director Louis Freeh and his team have conducted more than 400 interviews in the internal investigation spurred by child sexual abuse charges against former Penn State assistant coach Jerry Sandusky, a university trustee said Friday.

Trustee Kenneth Frazier said the investigation includes current and former employees from numerous departments across the university, which employs more than 18,000 at its main campus in State College. The school still hopes the investigation will be completed by the time the next academic year begins in late August. The board still intends to make the full findings and recommendations public, Frazier said.

and

As for the Freeh investigation, Frazier said it is being conducted independent of criminal and other investigations and will not interfere with other inquiries. Investigators have also reviewed numerous documents and electronic data. Current and former trustees have been interviewed, along with others in the community.

“We understand that answers cannot come soon enough for all concerned,” Frazier said, “and I assure you Judge Freeh and his team are moving as quickly as possible.”

The school has also been implementing new guidelines stemming from recommendations by Freeh that it hopes will improve the protocols involved in identifying and reporting child sex abuse. Frazier said more recommendations may be released by mid-June.

more at link: http://www.lsureveille.com/news/penn-state-university-trustee-400-interviewed-in-sandusky-inquiry-1.2738936#.T6fwzlLl-vk

Penn State wants this to go away, fast and completely. There had to be a monetary offer to the Sandusky camp to make this all go away as quietly as possible-- right? Does this mean they've already reached the point of no return and the courtroom drama is going forward? Did Jer turn down financial security for his wife while he rots in prison??? :what: :jail:

I'm continually stunned by the massive egos involved in these events-- :moo:

J. J. in Phila
05-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Just announced, the AG's Office admitted that the McQueary incident, Victim 2, happened in February 2001, not March 2002: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/07/3188751/children-and-youth-services-files.html

I'll lay odds that Amendola has the victim who will testify for the defense. If that happens, you only have strong cases with Victim 1 and Victim 6. Victim 6 has never claimed rape.

StellarsJay
05-07-2012, 11:21 PM
“It is clear that Mike McQueary was wrong in so adamantly insisting that the incident happened the Friday before Spring Break in 2002,” lawyers Caroline Roberto and Tom Farrell said in an e-mailed statement. “Whether or not Mr. McQueary’s insistence was the result of faulty memory, or questionable credibility, there is no dispute that the statute of limitations has expired on count two and it will be dismissed.”
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-07/sandusky-s-alleged-abuse-took-place-year-earlier-state-says-1-.html

Nooooo!

J. J. in Phila
05-08-2012, 12:06 AM
“It is clear that Mike McQueary was wrong in so adamantly insisting that the incident happened the Friday before Spring Break in 2002,” lawyers Caroline Roberto and Tom Farrell said in an e-mailed statement. “Whether or not Mr. McQueary’s insistence was the result of faulty memory, or questionable credibility, there is no dispute that the statute of limitations has expired on count two and it will be dismissed.”
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-07/sandusky-s-alleged-abuse-took-place-year-earlier-state-says-1-.html

Nooooo!

I think the statute of limitations would still apply, because the perjury allegation was based on the grand jury testimony in 2011. The summary "failure to report" might go, but I think the penalty is a small fine.

I can, and could always, see Sandusky walking on Victim 2 charges.

Rlaub44
05-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Just announced, the AG's Office admitted that the McQueary incident, Victim 2, happened in February 2001, not March 2002: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/07/3188751/children-and-youth-services-files.html

I'll lay odds that Amendola has the victim who will testify for the defense. If that happens, you only have strong cases with Victim 1 and Victim 6. Victim 6 has never claimed rape.

Bolded by me -

Perhaps, but I had another thought. Amendola has always claimed the shower incident was Feb 2001, because Sandusky knew who the boy was. Up until this point, the AG has been relying on McQueary's testimony to lay foundation for the date in question, but something happened to confirm the actual date to the prosecution.

Note that they amended the particulars - if the only reason prosecutors learned of the true timeline were because Victim 2 was planning to testify for the defense, I imagine the state might have petitioned to dismiss those charges w/o prejudice, rather than press on with no chance (not a lawyer here, just thinking aloud).

What if through reciprocal discovery, AG finally learned the identity of Victim 2 and he convinced them of the actual date. Or if perhaps there was some paper trail, possibly linked to the documents that Assistant Athletic Director Sherburne was fired over?

Consider the timing - about 2 weeks ago, Sherburne was terminated, and sources indicated it was related to the handling of case documents. Let's say the prosecution had time to review the documents, and perhaps there was a interoffice memo relating to the meeting with McQueary that threw the established timeline out of whack. One of the attorneys or investigators meets with McQueary over the discrepancy, and he looks back at the game schedule and realizes when it actually occurred, causing the amendment that now matches Sandusky's recollection.

Again, this is all speculation, but I am trying to maintain optimism about the state's case.

Rlaub44
05-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Mike McQueary is filing a whistleblower lawsuit against Penn State University.

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/08/3190060/mike-mcqueary-files-notice-of.html

J. J. in Phila
05-08-2012, 04:52 PM
Again, this is all speculation, but I am trying to maintain optimism about the state's case.

Good points.

From the way they are talking, the statute of limitation on the summary charge of failing to report has expired. It is a very minor charge, that has a minimal fine or possibly less than 90 days. Schultz and Curley are charged with it, but not Sandusky. They are also charged with perjury, the felony.

I think the failure to report is gone.

J. J. in Phila
05-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Mike McQueary is filing a whistleblower lawsuit against Penn State University.

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/08/3190060/mike-mcqueary-files-notice-of.html

I did not see that one coming. He's still on the payroll.

Reader
05-08-2012, 11:30 PM
Defense in Penn St. case digs into accusers' pasts

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?id=18928394&ps=994&srce=news_class&action=2&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_SPNWU00L2_UNEWS

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — The alleged victims of the Penn State child sexual abuse scandal are finding there isn't much in their pasts that the defense isn't trying to find out. Jerry Sandusky's defense team wants to know their IQs, how well they did in school and even their medical histories.

In a series of discovery requests made to the attorney general's office in recent months, Sandusky lawyer Joe Amendola has sought school transcripts, medical records going back to birth, Internet search histories, Facebook account details, employment-related documents and cellphone and Twitter records.

Prosecutors have turned over some records, don't have others and argued that many requests are not proper under state law — a determination that will ultimately be up to the presiding judge, John Cleland.

More at link....

J. J. in Phila
05-08-2012, 11:39 PM
Defense in Penn St. case digs into accusers' pasts

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?id=18928394&ps=994&srce=news_class&action=2&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_SPNWU00L2_UNEWS

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — The alleged victims of the Penn State child sexual abuse scandal are finding there isn't much in their pasts that the defense isn't trying to find out. Jerry Sandusky's defense team wants to know their IQs, how well they did in school and even their medical histories.

In a series of discovery requests made to the attorney general's office in recent months, Sandusky lawyer Joe Amendola has sought school transcripts, medical records going back to birth, Internet search histories, Facebook account details, employment-related documents and cellphone and Twitter records.

Prosecutors have turned over some records, don't have others and argued that many requests are not proper under state law — a determination that will ultimately be up to the presiding judge, John Cleland.

More at link....

Requesting the I.Q.'s is just silly.

Arrest records, some medical histories, and possibly the transcripts could be relevant.

J. J. in Phila
05-09-2012, 10:19 AM
Amendola has moved to delay the trial: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/09/3190832/jerry-sandusky-attorney-asks-for.html

Some of you will not like this, but Amendola is hitting his stride as a defense attorney. I've been saying that he's good, and he's good.

StellarsJay
05-09-2012, 03:01 PM
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2012/05/09/148222/jerry-sandusky-trial-judge-seals.html

"Also Tuesday, the judge approved the prosecution’s request to change the date of the allegation involving alleged victim No. 2 from March 1, 2002, to Feb. 9, 2001. The prosecution said the ongoing investigation revealed that date. The list of now-sealed discovery materials indicates 19 pages of emails from Feb. 12, 2001, to June 5, 2001, were turned over to the defense. Feb. 12, 2001, was the Monday after Feb. 9, 2001, a Friday."

So maybe something turned up to suppport McQueary? And maybe some content that shows Penn State was letting McQueary twist in the wind when they had evidence to support him?

J. J. in Phila
05-09-2012, 03:15 PM
"

So maybe something turned up to suppport McQueary? And maybe some content that shows Penn State was letting McQueary twist in the wind when they had evidence to support him?

I'd almost bet the ranch that Amendola has Victim 2, and he'll testify nothing happened. If that is the case they might be able to get Sandusky on that "Contact/Committed With Minor-Sexual Offenses," again, under the "open lewdness" charge, maybe, and the endangering/corruption charges.

I get the feeling that "Lawyerin' Joe" is at his lawyerin' best today. The guy is a good attorney (and no, he doesn't send me a dollar every time I say that.)

Reader
05-09-2012, 04:11 PM
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2012/05/09/148222/jerry-sandusky-trial-judge-seals.html

"Also Tuesday, the judge approved the prosecution’s request to change the date of the allegation involving alleged victim No. 2 from March 1, 2002, to Feb. 9, 2001. The prosecution said the ongoing investigation revealed that date. The list of now-sealed discovery materials indicates 19 pages of emails from Feb. 12, 2001, to June 5, 2001, were turned over to the defense. Feb. 12, 2001, was the Monday after Feb. 9, 2001, a Friday."

Also from your link:

A prosecutor in the Jerry Sandusky case “inadvertently” released the names of some alleged victims in a document posted but then removed from Centre County’s website.

The filing included lists of more than 200 discovery materials the prosecution turned over to defense attorney Joe Amendola. The document in its entirety — about 40 pages — was posted to the site Monday afternoon but taken offline a few hours later as ordered by the judge...........

Along with the names of some alleged victims, the materials that were mistakenly posted include school records for some of the alleged victims; travel records to Penn State bowl games; transcriptions of telephone calls; an interview with former head football coach Joe Paterno on Oct. 24, 2011; copies of posts made to websites about rumors regarding the alleged abuse; various phone numbers; Second Mile travel records; Mike McQueary’s handwritten statement; and copies of items seized from Sandusky’s home when it was searched last June.

Philadelphia attorney Mike Boni, who’s representing alleged victim No. 1, wasn’t upset with the prosecution. He said he’s satisfied they’ve kept the young men’s privacy in mind throughout the process.

“The prosecution is extremely busy trying to fend off what seems to be a ridiculously blunderbuss array of discovery requests by the defense,” Boni said.
Boy, I bet somebody caught HE11 for that!

Rlaub44
05-09-2012, 04:13 PM

I, for one, would love to read the content of those e-mails. It could certainly shed some light on how much detail McQueary shared with Curley and Schultz, and how much effort went into hiding the problem in house.

19 pages of emails - sounds like a lot of discussion over a matter that Schultz and Curley indicated they didn't feel was that serious.

Reader
05-09-2012, 04:15 PM
I'd almost bet the ranch that Amendola has Victim 2, and he'll testify nothing happened. If that is the case they might be able to get Sandusky on that "Contact/Committed With Minor-Sexual Offenses," again, under the "open lewdness" charge, maybe, and the endangering/corruption charges.

I get the feeling that "Lawyerin' Joe" is at his lawyerin' best today. The guy is a good attorney (and no, he doesn't send me a dollar every time I say that.)

Yep...he and JS should be really proud of their 'blame the victim' game....old as dirt and just as nasty...

I believe the state is up to it however....if they have victim 2 to testify for the defense, why wouldn't the state just drop that charge?

Reader
05-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Judge in Sandusky case weighs defense subpoenas

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CD9ULC3HO0%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=1013

BELLEFONTE, Pa. (AP) — The judge in Jerry Sandusky's criminal trial says he'll decide what information the defense is entitled to from schools, child services agencies and others, but didn't rule right away.

Judge John Cleland also didn't immediately rule Wednesday on a defense request to delay the start of trial, currently scheduled for June 5.

Cleland opened a hearing in Bellefonte by noting the "trial is approaching" for the former Penn State assistant football coach.
-------

The judge in Jerry Sandusky's child-sex abuse case said Wednesday he may throw out parts of some defense subpoenas and that he wanted to swiftly resolve disagreements about defense access to background information on the accusers.

Judge John Cleland said he planned to rule quickly on motions by several school districts and government agencies to quash subpoenas served by Sandusky's attorney, Joseph Amendola.

More at link....

J. J. in Phila
05-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Yep...he and JS should be really proud of their 'blame the victim' game....old as dirt and just as nasty...

I believe the state is up to it however....if they have victim 2 to testify for the defense, why wouldn't the state just drop that charge?

They don't know yet.

Tipstaff
05-10-2012, 07:44 AM
Why didn't Curley, Schultz,& Paterno in their Grand Jury Testimony counter the dates McQueary gave on the shower incident?

J. J. in Phila
05-10-2012, 08:16 AM
Why didn't Curley, Schultz,& Paterno in their Grand Jury Testimony counter the dates McQueary gave on the shower incident?

Paterno probably didn't keep a record of it; I'd suspect McQueary wasn't keeping notes either.

Curley/Schultz not keeping a record is unusual.

StellarsJay
05-10-2012, 10:24 AM

"It was so not sexual that not only have we forgotten what happened, we've forgotten what year it was."
"We searched all the 2002 files and didn't find a thing."
"Just goes to show McQueary doesn't remember right."
"Helping Sandusky's prosecution isn't Penn State's job."
"We were going to spring it on you at our trial."
"Cynthia Baldwin didn't tell us to."
"What incident?"

BigCat
05-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Spring break was the reason given for the 10 days delay in meeting with McQueary after Curley and Schultz learned of the allegation from Paterno. Given by whom, I'm not sure. I don't believe Curley or Schultz ever said that in their testimony before the grand jury. Perhaps it was just speculation. I'm never thought it was a good reason; however, at least it was a reason. Now I'm even more curious to hear why it took them 10 days to interview McQueary.

Tipstaff
05-10-2012, 01:19 PM
"It was so not sexual that not only have we forgotten what happened, we've forgotten what year it was."
"We searched all the 2002 files and didn't find a thing."
"Just goes to show McQueary doesn't remember right."
"Helping Sandusky's prosecution isn't Penn State's job."
"We were going to spring it on you at our trial."
"Cynthia Baldwin didn't tell us to."
"What incident?"

Under Oath and charged with a crime, Curley & Schultz, didn't counter or dispute the dates. Did they bother to review anything or did they simply think they were going to walk? Did they think a cover-up was in place?

Rlaub44
05-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Judge Cleland ruled that the defense is entitled to some, but not all, of the records requested in the recent round of subpoenas.

The Second Mile must release any complaints made by the accusers against Sandusky, along with records of their internal investigation.

Juniata College must release copies of the background check done on Sandusky when he tried to become a coach there in 2010.

The school districts must release documentation on psychological treatments not covered by privacy laws, but not IQ testing.

He will also receive information regarding the Clinton County child abuse investigation.

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/10/3192220/judge-in-sandusky-case-orders.html

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/05/judge_in_sandusky_case_orders.html

J. J. in Phila
05-13-2012, 08:41 AM
They are talking about the failure to report charges possibly being dropped against Curley and Schultz, because of the statute of limitations. If convicted, they would have faced 90 days in jail and a $200 fine. It is a victory for them, but a minor one.

Rlaub44
05-13-2012, 11:28 AM
They are talking about the failure to report charges possibly being dropped against Curley and Schultz, because of the statute of limitations. If convicted, they would have faced 90 days in jail and a $200 fine. It is a victory for them, but a minor one.

In Sara Ganim's article in today's Patriot-News, she rightfully mentions that this opens Tom Corbett up to fresh criticism for the lack of urgency he gave the matter when he was Attorney General.

Had he pursued this more vigorously, with more than one trooper assigned, the statute of limitations should not have ever been an issue; additionally, although nobody could have foreseen this, Paterno would still be alive to testify as corroboration to McQueary in the perjury trial.

Sara's analysis:
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/05/mike_mcqueary_jerry_sandusky_p.html

J. J. in Phila
05-13-2012, 01:37 PM
In Sara Ganim's article in today's Patriot-News, she rightfully mentions that this opens Tom Corbett up to fresh criticism for the lack of urgency he gave the matter when he was Attorney General.

Had he pursued this more vigorously, with more than one trooper assigned, the statute of limitations should not have ever been an issue; additionally, although nobody could have foreseen this, Paterno would still be alive to testify as corroboration to McQueary in the perjury trial.

Sara's analysis:
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/05/mike_mcqueary_jerry_sandusky_p.html

A very good analysis.

This has been the first legitimate criticism of Corbett in this matter, IMO.

Schultz has another problem. He claimed under oath that someone in child services was contacted, supposedly DPW, and investigated the 2001 incident. There was no record of that nor any record of University Police even being informed of the incident, unlike 1998.

Schultz basically has to convince a jury that he forgot; I don't think he'll be successful. Curley, who was out of the criminal investigation loop, isn't facing that problem. Bottom line, Schultz should be convicted on that, but I'd expect the case against Curley to be hugely weaker.

If Amendola has "Victim 2" and Victim 2 says there was no rape, Sandusky walks on that charge; I wouldn't even vote to convict him. There are other charges, including Unlawful Contact with Minor. I'd expect that Sandusky will be convicted, but he won't get 600 years. Amendola might be preparing to be Monty Hall, i.e. "Let's make a deal."

I could see Sandusky being convicted and out in time to vote for Corbett's successor.

Rlaub44
05-13-2012, 02:32 PM
A very good analysis.

This has been the first legitimate criticism of Corbett in this matter, IMO.

Schultz has another problem. He claimed under oath that someone in child services was contacted, supposedly DPW, and investigated the 2001 incident. There was no record of that nor any record of University Police even being informed of the incident, unlike 1998.

Schultz basically has to convince a jury that he forgot; I don't think he'll be successful. Curley, who was out of the criminal investigation loop, isn't facing that problem. Bottom line, Schultz should be convicted on that, but I'd expect the case against Curley to be hugely weaker.

If Amendola has "Victim 2" and Victim 2 says there was no rape, Sandusky walks on that charge; I wouldn't even vote to convict him. There are other charges, including Unlawful Contact with Minor. I'd expect that Sandusky will be convicted, but he won't get 600 years. Amendola might be preparing to be Monty Hall, i.e. "Let's make a deal."

I could see Sandusky being convicted and out in time to vote for Corbett's successor.

This might be where the emails that we recently learned about could be Curley's undoing. All it will take is one line demonstrating that Curley and Schultz recognized that there was a sexual nature to the allegations, and the perjury charge is all but secured.

J. J. in Phila
05-16-2012, 09:03 AM
The prosecution is preparing the victims for testimony, which will require public disclosure of their names. I am not thrilled about that, but it is necessary. http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/05/alleged_victims_in_jerry_sandu.html

StellarsJay
05-16-2012, 12:06 PM
The prosecution has demanded information about any expert witnesses that Amendola plans to call.
http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/15/3196932/prosecution-seeks-info-on-sandusky.html

J. J. in Phila
05-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Sandusky is moving to dismiss on Victims 2 (McQueary-2001), 8 (Calhoun-2000), and, surprisingly, Victim 6.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/05/jerry_sandusky_cases_without_a.html

In regard to Victim 6, bear hugging in the shower, he's claiming that no criminal intent and that it wasn't sexual.

http://www.co.centre.pa.us/media/upload/SANDUSKY%20DEFENDANTS%20SUPPLEMENTAL%20PRETRIAL%20 MOTIONS%20%20MOTIONS%20IN%20LIMINE.pdf

In the case of Victim 6, only one misdemeanor required sexual intent; the other ten charges don't necessarily.

I think he's trying to get rid of the charges where there are third party witnesses. Bold move.

He might have one misdemeanor tossed in Victim 6 and Victim 8 has no witnesses and no victim.

Victim 2 is interesting.

HMSHood
05-16-2012, 05:29 PM
I have wondered what was Jerry Sandusky's relationship with his parents. I get the impression he did not have any problematic relationship with them, unlike many other infamous figures past and present.

StellarsJay
05-16-2012, 07:47 PM
Jerry and his father Art- I haven't read "Touched" but someone who did says there is a passage describing a swimming event with Jerry and Art, shortly before Art’s death. Art weak; Jerry was supporting him in the water. Jerry let him go under. Jerry commented that was payback for when his dad did the same to him in his childhood.

HMSHood
05-16-2012, 10:08 PM
This caught my attention.

Is Anyone Asking Whether Art Sandusky Was A Child Molester Too?
http://milowent.blogspot.com/2011/11/is-anyone-asking-whether-art-sandusky.html

What turned Jerry Sandusky into a monster? A parent, a family member, someone in the community? He self-reports being very shy and awkward as a child. I suspect we'll find out what happened. And it won't be pretty.

J. J. in Phila
05-16-2012, 11:35 PM
This caught my attention.

Is Anyone Asking Whether Art Sandusky Was A Child Molester Too?
http://milowent.blogspot.com/2011/11/is-anyone-asking-whether-art-sandusky.html

What turned Jerry Sandusky into a monster? A parent, a family member, someone in the community? He self-reports being very shy and awkward as a child. I suspect we'll find out what happened. And it won't be pretty.

I think some of that is very exaggerated. It was common for a male child in the 40's through even the 70's to be involved in sports like football and wrestling.

I did find the "payback" comment troubling, but more in the context of trying to dominate someone weak, especially involving water.

StellarsJay
05-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Are vics 2, 6, 8 also part of a pattern of assault in the Penn State showers? A set so that jury could choose "believe one, believe all"? Jerry's defence and friends need all the campus shower out because the others lend credibility to McQueary's account.

J. J. in Phila
05-17-2012, 04:22 PM
Are vics 2, 6, 8 also part of a pattern of assault in the Penn State showers? A set so that jury could choose "believe one, believe all"? Jerry's defence and friends need all the campus shower out because the others lend credibility to McQueary's account.

Victim 3 was also another shower person.

pinktoes
05-18-2012, 03:02 PM
About the swimming thing. Pg 223 in Touched. Go to amazon.com; set up an acct (no nasty email barrage will follow). Search his book. Use the word 'payback'. Two options should come up. It's the second one. (Not all of the book is available there, but this part is).

Hope this is within copyright restrictions:

"some of the very last days when I had taken my father swimming...I accidentally lowered his upper body and head under the water....When I was sure he was okay, I put a smile on my face and said, 'It's payback time, isn't it?'"

Bear in mind, this is a memory he had of recent times; it was on the day his dad died, just after the coroner showed him into his dead father's bedroom to see his body. He said it was the cycle of life, with him holding his weak dad up in the water, just as his dad had done for him over 45 yrs before.

I just find that both chilling and informative.

J. J. in Phila
05-18-2012, 03:07 PM
About the swimming thing. Pg 223 in Touched. Go to amazon.com; set up an acct (no nasty email barrage will follow). Search his book. Use the word 'payback'. Two options should come up. It's the second one. (Not all of the book is available there, but this part is).

Hope this is within copyright restrictions:

"some of the very last days when I had taken my father swimming...I accidentally lowered his upper body and head under the water....When I was sure he was okay, I put a smile on my face and said, 'It's payback time, isn't it?'"

Bear in mind, this is a memory he had of recent times; it was on the day his dad died, just after the coroner showed him into his dead father's bedroom to see his body. He said it was the cycle of life, with him holding his weak dad up in the water, just as his dad had done for him over 45 yrs before.

I just find that both chilling and informative.

He might have meant that he was caring for his father as his father had cared for him.

pinktoes
05-18-2012, 03:17 PM
JJ: I don't think so, from the way his other anecdotes were written (and not by him, I know; by his ghost writer). Seems like his others--to wit, sarcastic humor.

Sorry; should've given you more context. Jer let his dad's head go underwater, accidentally. Saw bystanders' concerned faces; looked and saw dad underwater. Pulled his head up. Dad "...screamed at me, 'What are you doing?!?'" Then Jer smiled and said, "It's payback time, isn't it?" (pg 223, Touched)

See if this will take you directly in:
http://books.google.com/books?id=DhURgPDxVhgC&pg=PA223&lpg=PA223&dq=touched+jerry+sandusky+payback+time&source=bl&ots=DcJ_huBIW_&sig=kyrVJJs76sKrKeIsoUbC1FVZtLw&hl=en#v=onepage&q&f=false

J. J. in Phila
05-18-2012, 04:29 PM
JJ: I don't think so, from the way his other anecdotes were written (and not by him, I know; by his ghost writer). Seems like his others--to wit, sarcastic humor.

Sorry; should've given you more context. Jer let his dad's head go underwater, accidentally. Saw bystanders' concerned faces; looked and saw dad underwater. Pulled his head up. Dad "...screamed at me, 'What are you doing?!?'" Then Jer smiled and said, "It's payback time, isn't it?" (pg 223, Touched)

See if this will take you directly in:
http://books.google.com/books?id=DhURgPDxVhgC&pg=PA223&lpg=PA223&dq=touched+jerry+sandusky+payback+time&source=bl&ots=DcJ_huBIW_&sig=kyrVJJs76sKrKeIsoUbC1FVZtLw&hl=en#v=onepage&q&f=false

Okay, I can see that context a bit more clearly. It is a little creepy.

BennyProfane
05-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Prosecutors' response to Amendola's request for more detailed info on the accusations:

http://www.co.centre.pa.us/media/#p74

Scroll past all the individual paragraphs to the bottom of the page where it reads "AVAILABLE DOCUMENTS" and find the following:

•SANDUSKY AMENDED CRIMINAL INFORMATION FOR 2422 2011 5/18/2012 5:00:22 PM
•SANDUSKY AMENDED CRIMINAL INFORMATION 2421 2011 5/18/2012 5:00:06 PM
•SANDUSKY COMMONWEALTHS MOTION TO AMEND THE INFORMATIONS AND BILL OF PARTICULARS 5/18/2012 4:59:40 PM

Reader
05-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Thanks, Benny!

Criminal Docket

http://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketSheets/CPReport.aspx?docketNumber=CP-14-CR-0002422-2011

----------

Amended Bill of Particulars 5/18/12

http://www.co.centre.pa.us/media/upload/SANDUSKY%20AMENDED%20BILL%20OF%20PARTICULARS.pdf

--------
Amended Criminal Information - victims 1-8 - 40 charges

http://www.co.centre.pa.us/media/upload/SANDUSKY%20AMENDED%20CRIMINAL%20INFORMATION%20FOR% 202422%202011.pdf

--------

Amended Criminal Information - victims 9 and 10 - 12 charges

http://www.co.centre.pa.us/media/upload/SANDUSKY%20AMENDED%20CRIMINAL%20INFORMATION%202421 %202011.pdf

J. J. in Phila
05-21-2012, 12:54 PM
Judge ruled against the defense motion to delay the trial: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/21/3203208/judge-in-sandusky-case-denies.html

Set for June 5.

Reader
05-21-2012, 10:34 PM
Judge ruled against the defense motion to delay the trial: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/21/3203208/judge-in-sandusky-case-denies.html

Set for June 5.

Good!

On the amended criminal informations submitted, not one charge has been removed and most the new information given of the incidents cover years and several places for each victim. Amendola better get to work since none of his delaying tactics and flim flam have changed the AG's or court's determination to bring JS to trial on all 52 counts of being the child predator he is. June 5 is coming up soon.

J. J. in Phila
05-22-2012, 12:41 AM
Good!

On the amended criminal informations submitted, not one charge has been removed and most the new information given of the incidents cover years and several places for each victim. Amendola better get to work since none of his delaying tactics and flim flam have changed the AG's or court's determination to bring JS to trial on all 52 counts of being the child predator he is. June 5 is coming up soon.

The judge has not ruled on the dismissal motion as of yet. Victim 8 might be dismissed, but I'd be surprised if the others would be.

J. J. in Phila
05-22-2012, 09:29 PM
Paterno family to get $13,000,000+ in pension benefits over the next two years: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/22/3204599/paterno-family-to-receive-134.html

StellarsJay
05-23-2012, 10:16 AM
It will be interesting to see what effect this has on public opinion.

wfgodot
05-23-2012, 11:08 AM
What Did Joe Paterno Know About Jerry Sandusky In 1998? Esquire Unearths Curious New Details From Paterno’s Papers (http://deadspin.com/5912516/new-details-raise-new-questions-about-what-joe-paterno-might-have-known-about-jerry-sandusky-in-1998) (Deadspin)

J. J. in Phila
05-23-2012, 11:24 AM
It will be interesting to see what effect this has on public opinion.

Paterno's estate is entitled to it and some of it will be going to charity (I think about $2,000,000).

Tipstaff
05-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Paterno family to get $13,000,000+ in pension benefits over the next two years: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/22/3204599/paterno-family-to-receive-134.html

Obscene. :maddening:

J. J. in Phila
05-23-2012, 11:37 AM
What Did Joe Paterno Know About Jerry Sandusky In 1998? Esquire Unearths Curious New Details From Paterno’s Papers (http://deadspin.com/5912516/new-details-raise-new-questions-about-what-joe-paterno-might-have-known-about-jerry-sandusky-in-1998) (Deadspin)

I have never been one of those "Joe Knew about 1998" people, but this may warrant a bit more investigation.

J. J. in Phila
05-23-2012, 11:38 AM
Obscene. :maddening:

He earned it. He'd been paying into it for 61 years. I won't begrudge the estate that.

Reader
05-23-2012, 01:28 PM
I have never been one of those "Joe Knew about 1998" people, but this may warrant a bit more investigation.

Agree...very fishy....but I have always believed he knew...he had to...JS was said to be great at his job and the main reason the last championship was won (I think there were 2?)....no way Paterno was not aware/advised of/or involved in these decisions made. I think he waited a while to see if it would come out publicly and when it did not, he used it to get rid of JS with the sweetner of the retirement deal (which really was not that big). I'm sure Paterno was glad to see him go and thought this worry was over. Imagine the shock and aggravation he had when it all blew up again. I really believe it contributed to his health going down hill so fast.

No, what Paterno did not do in 1998 was not a crime but IMO he helped cover up things for JS. If not, most of the victims and JS himself would not be in the situation we find today.

Reader
05-23-2012, 01:29 PM
He earned it. He'd been paying into it for 61 years. I won't begrudge the estate that.

So, is this a full payment of his pension or will the family get more later?

Reader
05-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Pa. amends Sandusky charges, doesn’t add or withdraw counts

http://articles.philly.com/2012-05-20/news/31778717_1_sandusky-lawyer-joseph-amendola-victim-allegations

HARRISBURG — State prosecutors on Friday added details in court documents about the criminal allegations against former Pennsylvania State University assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, but did not add to or withdraw any of the 52 counts he faces.

The changes included identifying locations of alleged sexual abuse, including the Sandusky home in State College, university facilities, and hotels. In several cases, time frames were changed.

Chief Deputy Attorney General Frank Fina wrote that Sandusky’s legal team had been provided with extensive pretrial discovery that should satisfy concerns about proper notice or due process that might otherwise arise when a charging document is amended.
------

In the new revisions, one document for so-called Victim 1 has added that the allegations include oral sex and that the locations included Sandusky’s home, a State College hotel, and Central Mountain Middle School. For the boy described as Victim 4, new court papers spell out that the allegations include oral and anal sex, and that there were more than 50 “occurrences.”

More at link....

Waiting to see what the judges decision will be on dropping charges....

Reader
05-23-2012, 01:47 PM
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 11:53 AM
Penn State/Jerry Sandusky sex abuse scandal to be documentarized

It’s to be called Happy Valley, and it promises to be an in-depth and wrenching documentary about Jerry Sandusky, the Nittany Lions assistant football coach charged in a wide-reaching sexual abuse case................

Happy Valley is being produced by A&E IndieFilms in partnership with Asylum Entertainment. Jonathan Koch, president of Asylum, is a native of State College, and, in his youth, was a camp counselor for The Second Mile, the nonprofit organization for underprivileged kids founded by the Sanduskys.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/onmovies/Penn-StateJerry-Sandusky-sex-abuse-scandal-to-be-documentarized.html#ixzz1viSMj7Zz
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

Reader
05-23-2012, 02:04 PM
More new articles:

Insurer, Jerry Sandusky attorneys clash in federal court

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/05/insurer_jerry_sandusky_insurer.html

..........Federal Insurance Co., which has paid at least $125,000 to Joe Amendola, Sandusky’s lead attorney, seeks a rare “public policy” ruling that would exempt an insurer from having to pay for costs incurred by an individual as a result of allegations of child sexual abuse.

Sources: Joe Amendola Considering 'Jury Consultant'

http://wearecentralpa.com/fulltext-news?nxd_id=372772

The judge still needs to rule on whether questionnaires will be allowed during the selection to help attorneys pick the jury.

Judge John Cleland's decision not to delay Jerry Sandusky's trial sends stiff message, surprises legal observers

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/05/judge_john_clelands_decision_n.html#incart_mce

.........And even those who were most surprised by Monday’s ruling agreed that as much as they might not like it, Sandusky’s lawyers will be hard-pressed to launch a winning appellate argument on this decision alone.

They will be able to use it post-trial only if they can show that lack of time for preparation caused an error — say, a potential defense witness who was never found or a key document that was not objected to — to be made at trial.
-------

Antkowiak noted that the judge has a better handle on the emerging prosecution and defense cases than anyone. Cleland seems to have reasoned that those cases are going to turn largely on issues of witness credibility.

If he’s satisfied Amendola is getting the information he needs to test that credibility in a timely fashion, and he also sees that there are not large new batches of documents or medical evidence to pore through, it becomes a matter of “what else do you need to be ready?” Antkowiak said.
-------

Concurrent with Monday’s ruling, Cleland established schedules for briefs on pending defense motions for dismissal of charges, and scheduled a May 30 hearing to deal with any other pre-trial issues that are still unresolved. .......

Tipstaff
05-23-2012, 02:15 PM

Thirteen MILLION dollars from a STATE Run University....cities in the State of Pennsylvania are declaring bankruptcy, people are out of jobs, classes at universities are being cut.......... $13,000,000 seems obscene for a football coach.

thefragile7393
05-23-2012, 02:16 PM
Thirteen MILLION dollars from a STATE Run University....cities in the State of Pennsylvania are declaring bankruptcy, people are out of jobs, classes at universities are being cut.......... $13,000,000 seems obscene for a football coach.

And i truly dom't believe that he didn't know at some point. slap in the face of the victims

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

J. J. in Phila
05-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Agree...very fishy....but I have always believed he knew...he had to...JS was said to be great at his job and the main reason the last championship was won (I think there were 2?)....no way Paterno was not aware/advised of/or involved in these decisions made. I think he waited a while to see if it would come out publicly and when it did not, he used it to get rid of JS with the sweetner of the retirement deal (which really was not that big). I'm sure Paterno was glad to see him go and thought this worry was over. Imagine the shock and aggravation he had when it all blew up again. I really believe it contributed to his health going down hill so fast.

No, what Paterno did not do in 1998 was not a crime but IMO he helped cover up things for JS. If not, most of the victims and JS himself would not be in the situation we find today.

"Fishy," and I agree it is, doesn't constitute "knowledge." If there was any, it was after the DA was involved (5/13/98).

J. J. in Phila
05-23-2012, 02:18 PM

It didn't come from Penn State, but from the State Retirement fund.

J. J. in Phila
05-23-2012, 02:27 PM
More new articles:

Sources: Joe Amendola Considering 'Jury Consultant'

http://wearecentralpa.com/fulltext-news?nxd_id=372772

The judge still needs to rule on whether questionnaires will be allowed during the selection to help attorneys pick the jury.

He doesn't need a consultant; he has us.

Reader
05-23-2012, 04:25 PM
"Fishy," and I agree it is, doesn't constitute "knowledge." If there was any, it was after the DA was involved (5/13/98).

Well, don't know if that is proven or not either...I've stated it is my opinion Paterno knew from the first and believe something will eventually come out that shows this. Again, IMO

Reader
05-23-2012, 04:32 PM
He doesn't need a consultant; he has us.

LOL...don't think a bunch of anonymous people on a forum who mostly are against his client will help him much....he doesn't know our demographics.....wonder if JS is considering a plea deal at this point, if nothing else but to spare his wife and family from hearing all the details.

Tipstaff
05-23-2012, 05:45 PM
LOL...don't think a bunch of anonymous people on a forum who mostly are against his client will help him much....he doesn't know our demographics.....wonder if JS is considering a plea deal at this point, if nothing else but to spare his wife and family from hearing all the details.

Looking back at JS's behavior over the years - his willingness to continue going to his office on campus, to continue living in Happy Valley, his remaining on at Second Mile - his attempts to secure other coaching jobs....just to name a few things, makes me think JS won't take a plea deal. It is all about "JER" and denial.

Reader
05-23-2012, 06:04 PM
It didn't come from Penn State, but from the State Retirement fund.

I'm wondering if pension contributions working for the state in Pa. are the same as other states. In Al. and Fl. where I worked, the employee did contribute to their own pension, but the employer matched the contribution. So some of those funds might have been from the univ. Does anybody know if it is the same in Pa.?

J. J. in Phila
05-23-2012, 06:13 PM

When he could talk to the press, he could see how arguments would play.

J. J. in Phila
05-23-2012, 06:27 PM
I'm wondering if pension contributions working for the state in Pa. are the same as other states. In Al. and Fl. where I worked, the employee did contribute to their own pension, but the employer matched the contribution. So some of those funds might have been from the univ. Does anybody know if it is the same in Pa.?

Yes, you do contribute and at 40 years, you get a full salary (average of the last three years) + Benefits. 15 years half salary, and no benefits. I think benefits cut in around 20-25 years.

Disability is about 5 years.

You have to remember that Paterno was in the system for 61 years.

Reader
05-23-2012, 10:19 PM
When he could talk to the press, he could see how arguments would play.

Well, his main argument seems to be to attack the witnesses and that sure hasn't played very well so far, at least not here if he's reading, lol. So I'm wondering what other arguments he can use. With the detailed info. now in the information from the state, you know that the AG has all of these various dates and places verified. How can he argue against that when JS's whereabouts at the games, functions, schools with the children are already documented. The only recourse is to still attack the witnesses and I think that will really cause a backlash with the public and the jury. These men must have been very believeable to convince the grand jury and the prosecutors after all the vetting they have been through.

J. J. in Phila
05-24-2012, 12:13 AM
Well, his main argument seems to be to attack the witnesses and that sure hasn't played very well so far, at least not here if he's reading, lol. So I'm wondering what other arguments he can use. With the detailed info. now in the information from the state, you know that the AG has all of these various dates and places verified. How can he argue against that when JS's whereabouts at the games, functions, schools with the children are already documented. The only recourse is to still attack the witnesses and I think that will really cause a backlash with the public and the jury. These men must have been very believeable to convince the grand jury and the prosecutors after all the vetting they have been through.

The credibility of the victims (well alleged victims), is key to the incidents relating to Victims 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, and 10. He will have to do that in court, and it may work.

Victim 8 is weak anyhow, because, there is no victim and no witnesses.

That leaves 2001 (McQueary) and 1998. We've debated McQueary and the trial balloon of "Gricar didn't prosecute," got laughed out of here. He didn't repeat it. Now he's trying the "no criminal intent" argument, that has been similarly to ones made here.

StellarsJay
05-24-2012, 12:42 AM

The 61 years is one of the things I have trouble with- sort of a combination of Paterno got way more than his fair share of pie, when he seems to have been slipping, was waaay too old, and was probably blocking others. (In a widgit business when the boss leaves suddenly, for whatever reason, and there are NO acceptable widgit managers who can step up - or even be allowed to stay in their current jobs-I would consider the top boss who left or was fired had been incompetent as a manager. Yeah, maybe he could make a widgit out of spit and used paper clips, but he didn't look after his company.

And whoever cut the pie supported this. [Meaning the Penn State bosses, not the retirement plan people.]

J. J. in Phila
05-24-2012, 12:51 AM
The 61 years is one of the things I have trouble with- sort of a combination of Paterno got way more than his fair share of pie, when he seems to have been slipping, was waaay too old, and was probably blocking others. (In a widgit business when the boss leaves suddenly, for whatever reason, and there are NO acceptable widgit managers who can step up - or even be allowed to stay in their current jobs-I would consider the top boss who left or was fired had been incompetent as a manager. Yeah, maybe he could make a widgit out of spit and used paper clips, but he didn't look after his company.

And whoever cut the pie supported this.

I think that it was more of the University not wanting his more or less chosen successor. Pensions are based on longevity in the PA Retirement System.

Rlaub44
05-24-2012, 06:38 PM

I would have thought the same as you, Reader, if I hadn't watched the Casey Anthony trial play out. Baez and the defense team made no secret of the fact that they were monitoring on-line forums to determine how different strategies would be received by common folks like us.

Camille
05-25-2012, 10:32 AM
More new articles:

Insurer, Jerry Sandusky attorneys clash in federal court

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/05/insurer_jerry_sandusky_insurer.html

..........Federal Insurance Co., which has paid at least $125,000 to Joe Amendola, Sandusky’s lead attorney, seeks a rare “public policy” ruling that would exempt an insurer from having to pay for costs incurred by an individual as a result of allegations of child sexual abuse.

That's just wrong. That's part of what their coverage is and there is no way they should be let out of having to pay for it now. JS is still innocent until proven guilty and as much as I believe he is guilty and would love to see his defense cost coming from his own pocket, I'm just as sick of insurance companies ripping people off and taking their money then not wanting to cover them when they have a claim. :banghead:

J. J. in Phila
05-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Defense is subpoenaing probation records on Victims 3 and 7. http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/25/3208090/centre-county-probation-office.html

TSM to close: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/25/3207932/second-mile-to-close-amid-sandusky.html

ThoughtFox
05-25-2012, 01:20 PM
Defense is subpoenaing probation records on Victims 3 and 7. http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/25/3208090/centre-county-probation-office.html

TSM to close: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/25/3207932/second-mile-to-close-amid-sandusky.html

I can't say I'm sorry to see it go. :(

seattlechiquita
05-25-2012, 01:25 PM

BBM

Something tells me we will get a lot of victim bashing during defense's case. Bastards. :maddening:

oh, and I'm new to the case :wave:

J. J. in Phila
05-25-2012, 02:28 PM
BBM

Something tells me we will get a lot of victim bashing during defense's case. Bastards. :maddening:

Welcome.

Well, it is standard. The credibility of the victims is key to every victim, except Victims 2, 6, and 8.

Reader
05-25-2012, 05:58 PM
AG: Sandusky Dismissal Premature Without 'Facts'

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2012/05/25/us/ap-us-penn-state-abuse.html?ref=us

PITTSBURGH (AP) — A defense motion asking a judge to dismiss child sexual abuse charges against former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky is premature because there are no "facts" in the form of sworn testimony on which to base the request, state prosecutors said Friday.
-------

"The absence of a factual record requires this Court to deny those requests," the prosecutor wrote.

Fina also argued that because Sandusky waived his right to a preliminary hearing — thus acknowledging prosecutors had sufficient probable cause to take the charges to trial — dismissing the charges now would effectively nullify the waiver.
-------

Bruce Antkowiak, a criminal law expert at St. Vincent College near Pittsburgh, said the prosecutor is correct in saying it's premature for Sandusky to ask that the charges be dismissed.

Although Antkowiak disagrees with the prosecution argument that Sandusky has waived his right to challenge the charges because he waived his preliminary hearing, the "significant point is there is nothing upon which the court can rule now" because there's been no testimony, he said.

More at link.......

I'm sure the opposition is well aware of this basic trial requirement but is just trying to tie up things as much as possible and delay the inevitable...JS facing his accusers...

Reader
05-25-2012, 06:05 PM
BBM

Hi and welcome to the case, seattlechiquita!

Yep, gonna be a nasty trial of a nasty man and his nasty little lawyer...imo

Reader
05-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Former Penn State president sues school over emails linked to Sandusky scandal

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/18628174/former-penn-state-president-sues-school-over-emails-linked-to-sandusky-scandal

.........Graham Spanier, who was fired from Penn State in the immediate aftermath of the child sex abuse scandal involving the former assistant football coach, reportedly filed the suit Friday in Centre County Court.

According to the report, Spanier's suit seeks to force the university to hand over emails relevant to the case.

The emails, which reportedly date from 1998 to 2004, "would refresh [Spanier's] recollection significantly and allow him to assist the university fully in its investigation," the suit says, according to the paper.

More at link.....

LOL, so noooowwwww he wants to help!

Reader
05-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Spanier is suing for access to the e-mails: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/25/3208339/former-penn-state-president-graham.html

jinx, J.J...lol

J. J. in Phila
05-25-2012, 06:37 PM
jinx, J.J...lol

Beat you by 3 minutes. ;) I deleted it; yours was better.

StellarsJay
05-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Spanier's lawyers claim that Penn State attorneys were willing to send copies of the emails but allege the attorney general's office asked the school not to do so. The lawsuit seeks to have a court force the school to give copies of the emails to Spanier so he can be better prepared to testify for the internal investigation
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7973147/ex-penn-state-nittany-lions-president-graham-spanier-sues-jerry-sandusky-emails
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) - Penn State has named Stephen Dunham its new general counsel, pending approval of the university's trustees in July.

The university says Dunham will take over for former state Supreme Court Justice Cynthia Baldwin, who held the position since January 2010.
http://www.wfmj.com/story/18616162/psu-names-stephen-dunham-new-general-counsel

I was wondering if Spanier filed the day after Baldwin left because she would have given him the emails but the incoming guy might not, but it looks like she's still there till July.

J. J. in Phila
05-26-2012, 09:37 PM
Former, or soon to be former, Penn State counsel Cynthia Baldwin, a former elected judge and appointed justice of the PA Supreme Court, has hired legal counsel herself. http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/26/3208686/ex-university-counsel-baldwin.html#storylink=omni_popular#wgt=pop

StellarsJay
05-27-2012, 12:42 AM
"Recently, Spanier learned some emails from before 2004 were retrievable, the suit said, adding that Spanier has placed the condition on speaking with the Freeh investigators that the university first give him access to communications from 1998 to 2004.
Spanier had been told that emails from that time period couldn’t be obtained “inasmuch as a new email system installed in 2004 at Penn State had eliminated email records prior to 2004,” the suit said.

The suit also said that when Spanier spoke to the grand jury, he was accompanied by an attorney he thought was representing his interests, an apparent reference to Cynthia Baldwin, Penn State’s outgoing attorney.
“However, that counsel later (in 2012) took the position that she, in fact, was representing only the interests of Penn State,” the suit said."

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/25/3208339/former-penn-state-president-graham.html#storylink=omni_popular#wgt=pop

I had read before that Curley and Schultz thought Baldwin was representing them; this is the first time I've seen that Spanier had the same idea.

Reader
05-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Duh....Spanier, Curley and Schultz did not know that Baldwin worked for Penn. State? lol

What held them back from a simple question: are you coming to the GJ for me or for the school?

I don't buy it....they didn't think anything would come out of the GJ and were there only to lie and protect the university and their jobs themselves...big backfire, eh?

imo

StellarsJay
05-27-2012, 01:10 PM
More to show that there are other Sandusky victims:

Lawyer Marci Hamilton says on May 27th:
“(Full disclosure: I’m a Penn State graduate, I’m married to a lifelong Philly Catholic, and I serve as co-counsel to victims of both the Philadelphia priests and of Jerry Sandusky—although my clients are not involved in the criminal trials, so I am not subject to the gag orders.)”
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/05/27/penn-state-and-catholic-church-child-sex-abuse-trials-divide-penn-public.html

J. J. in Phila
05-27-2012, 02:21 PM
More to show that there are other Sandusky victims:

Lawyer Marci Hamilton says on May 27th:
“(Full disclosure: I’m a Penn State graduate, I’m married to a lifelong Philly Catholic, and I serve as co-counsel to victims of both the Philadelphia priests and of Jerry Sandusky—although my clients are not involved in the criminal trials, so I am not subject to the gag orders.)”
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/05/27/penn-state-and-catholic-church-child-sex-abuse-trials-divide-penn-public.html

I'm seeing the divide she's talking about with the Gricar case. Someone accused me of "bashing" him, because I suggested, gasp, that he might have actually had a sexual relationship with his wives, while married to each, or his live in girlfriend on 2-3 years. :blushing:

People like heroes, and even though it is painful, sometimes heroes are not the person you'd like them to be.

Reader
05-27-2012, 04:31 PM
I'm seeing the divide she's talking about with the Gricar case. Someone accused me of "bashing" him, because I suggested, gasp, that he might have actually had a sexual relationship with his wives, while married to each, or his live in girlfriend on 2-3 years. :blushing:

People like heroes, and even though it is painful, sometimes heroes are not the person you'd like them to be.

Well said, J.J.....Another good quote from StellarsJay's link above:

Other Penn State students and alumni started a fund for charities that serve child-abuse victims, held candlelight vigils for the survivors, and have demanded that the university make the protection of children a priority. Their actions have made them feel better about the future, but even with their good works, their previous adoration for the institution must now feel more like a naďve first love.

For the rioters and a number of alumni, however, Paterno seemed almost as much of a victim as, well, Sandusky’s victims. Like the elderly Catholics, they want their comforting past restored now, and won’t let go without a fight.

Reminds me of the old saying: you can't go home again....

ohiogirl
05-27-2012, 09:10 PM
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 11:53 AM
Penn State/Jerry Sandusky sex abuse scandal to be documentarized

It’s to be called Happy Valley, and it promises to be an in-depth and wrenching documentary about Jerry Sandusky, the Nittany Lions assistant football coach charged in a wide-reaching sexual abuse case................

Happy Valley is being produced by A&E IndieFilms in partnership with Asylum Entertainment. Jonathan Koch, president of Asylum, is a native of State College, and, in his youth, was a camp counselor for The Second Mile, the nonprofit organization for underprivileged kids founded by the Sanduskys.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/onmovies/Penn-StateJerry-Sandusky-sex-abuse-scandal-to-be-documentarized.html#ixzz1viSMj7Zz
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else
They might want to wait until the trial.

ohiogirl
05-27-2012, 09:26 PM
"Recently, Spanier learned some emails from before 2004 were retrievable, the suit said, adding that Spanier has placed the condition on speaking with the Freeh investigators that the university first give him access to communications from 1998 to 2004.
Spanier had been told that emails from that time period couldn’t be obtained “inasmuch as a new email system installed in 2004 at Penn State had eliminated email records prior to 2004,” the suit said.

The suit also said that when Spanier spoke to the grand jury, he was accompanied by an attorney he thought was representing his interests, an apparent reference to Cynthia Baldwin, Penn State’s outgoing attorney.
“However, that counsel later (in 2012) took the position that she, in fact, was representing only the interests of Penn State,” the suit said."

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/25/3208339/former-penn-state-president-graham.html#storylink=omni_popular#wgt=pop

I had read before that Curley and Schultz thought Baldwin was representing them; this is the first time I've seen that Spanier had the same idea.

Fu Spanier, this makes me sick.

ohiogirl
05-27-2012, 09:27 PM
Mr Spanier: What did you know, when did you know? Wait a minute, I have to check my emails.

J. J. in Phila
05-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Mr Spanier: What did you know, when did you know? Wait a minute, I have to check my emails.

I think it is a reasonable request. This guy probably has about thousands of e-mails, and he could legitimately forget.

I know that, at times, I have to look up stuff relating to the RFG case.

Reader
05-27-2012, 11:43 PM
They might want to wait until the trial.

I was hoping it would cover the trial but several sites I checked said something similar to this (caps are theirs/scroll down):

1983 STATE COLLEGE HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATE JONATHAN KOCH IS NOW THE PRESIDENT OF THE ASYLUM ENTERTAINMENT FILM PRODUCTION COMPANY AND HE’S PLANNING TO MAKE A DOCUMENTARY ABOUT THE JERRY SANDUSKY SCANDAL AND ITS IMPACT ON STATE COLLEGE. THE CENTRE DAILY TIMES REPORTS THAT ASYLUM IS PARTNERING WITH A&E INDIEFILMS, THE DOCUMENTARY PRODUCTION ARM OF A&E NETWORK, ON THE FILM CALLED “HAPPY VALLEY.” THE RELEASE DATE HASN’T BEEN SET YET. ASYLUM PREVIOUSLY WON AN EMMY FOR THE TV MINISERIES “THE KENNEDYS.” KOCH ALSO WORKED AS A CAMP COUNSELOR FOR 2 SUMMERS AT THE SECOND MILE.

http://rocky1049.com/content/local-news/post/wednesday-may-23-2012

Reader
05-27-2012, 11:49 PM
I think it is a reasonable request. This guy probably has about thousands of e-mails, and he could legitimately forget.

I know that, at times, I have to look up stuff relating to the RFG case.

Yes, but how many would actually be about Sandusky?

I'm gonna guess 2, one from 1998 and one from 2002 and both probably say something like:

Sandusky who?

lol

J. J. in Phila
05-28-2012, 12:21 AM
Yes, but how many would actually be about Sandusky?

I'm gonna guess 2, one from 1998 and one from 2002 and both probably say something like:

Sandusky who?

lol

There could be a lot of stuff on his retirement package.

Reader
05-28-2012, 12:43 AM
There could be a lot of stuff on his retirement package.

Ya think? I'm not arguing but it seems to me the president wouldn't need to be involved in that. Wouldn't his package be approved by Paterno and Schultz, the financial officer? I understood that was not a special arrangement just for JS but something that was available to anyone who was eligible to retire those years.

Here, we just send in paperwork to the HR dept. and after that work directly with the state retirement board. The head of the agency/school is not involved.

J. J. in Phila
05-28-2012, 01:04 AM
Ya think? I'm not arguing but it seems to me the president wouldn't need to be involved in that. Wouldn't his package would be approved by Paterno and Schultz, the financial officer? I understood that was not a special arrangement just for JS but something that was available to anyone who was eligible to retire those years.

Here, we just send in paperwork to the HR dept. and after that work directly with the state retirement board. The head of the agency/school is not involved.

There could be a number of things, but Spanier might have been hands on enough to deal with retirement.

There were also contacts (even innocent ones) with TSM board members. He might been talking to Paterno about (again innocent) succession.

I can understand why he wants to review everything.

Reader
05-28-2012, 01:17 AM
There could be a number of things, but Spanier might have been hands on enough to deal with retirement.

There were also contacts (even innocent ones) with TSM board members. He might been talking to Paterno about (again innocent) succession.

I can understand why he wants to review everything.

Oh, me too, I have no problem with him getting the emails for his own legal protection. Just wondering if they are really pertinent to the case. Maybe we'll find out something really juicy, lol !

Hope Sara gets copies....

ohiogirl
05-28-2012, 01:46 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/25/us/sandusky-charity/index.html?hpt=ju_c2

Sandusky's charity seeks approval to close

ohiogirl
05-28-2012, 01:47 AM
Couldn't happen to a nicer charity.
Now we all know why he founded it in the first place.

Reader
05-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Critical 'Victim 2' decision awaits Jerry Sandusky judge

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/05/critical_victim_2_decision_awa.html#incart_hbx

HARRISBURG, Pa. — A judge will soon decide the most significant pretrial issue in former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky's child sexual abuse case: whether to dismiss charges.

It's a question that once again brings to the forefront "Victim 2," a still-unidentified boy whom a witness has said he saw being molested by Sandusky in the football team showers a decade ago, drawing a response from then-head football coach Joe Paterno that ultimately cost him his job.
-------

The Victim 2 allegations are among the most serious that Sandusky faces, and the fact that prosecutors haven't been able to find him has complicated their case, as demonstrated by the recent change in the allegation's date, from March 2002 to February 2001.

Adding to the mystery is the report by Amendola that a young man contacted him after Sandusky's arrest to say he believed he might be Victim 2. The young man, accompanied by his mother and brother, met with Amendola, but Amendola wasn't convinced he fit the description and the lawyer said he wasn't planning to call him as a witness.
"I wasn't sure" he was Victim 2, Amendola said in March. "I'm still not sure. I haven't been able to verify it. Jerry's very sure."

Amendola said the young man told him Sandusky hadn't abused him, but he later obtained a lawyer and cut off contact.

More at link....

Reader
05-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Stop the victim-blaming tactics in Jerry Sandusky case

http://www.pennlive.com/editorials/index.ssf/2012/05/stop_the_victim-blaming_tactic.html

Wťith Jerry Sandusky’s criminal trial approaching, his attorney, Joe Amendola, is conducting a “fishing expedition” by issuing subpoenas to find documentation about the alleged victims’ backgrounds, such as behavioral issues, mental health problems, arrest records and drug or alcohol use. ........

Amendola’s questioning of victim credibility directs the attention of the media and public to the boys’ personal histories rather than focusing on Sandusky’s alleged abuse. This victim-blaming tactic relies on the public to focus on victim behaviors and distracts from the actions of the offender.
-------

Judging and labeling of victims is always problematic, but it is important to take this opportunity to better understand why offenders often target victims with vulnerabilities to exploit. Offenders might purposefully select victims with characteristics the public might be willing to judge harshly. While factors like family structures and difficulties in school never excuse an act of abuse, offenders target those who could be viewed with skepticism when they report abuse or easily be labeled because of “issues.”

More at link.....

And TMS gave JS the perfect targets since most of the boys were referred to the charity because of their problems at home and school....

Rlaub44
05-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Duh....Spanier, Curley and Schultz did not know that Baldwin worked for Penn. State? lol

What held them back from a simple question: are you coming to the GJ for me or for the school?

I don't buy it....they didn't think anything would come out of the GJ and were there only to lie and protect the university and their jobs themselves...big backfire, eh?

imo

My guess is that at the time, they each thought the school had their backs, and that Baldwin was representing their interests on behalf of Penn State.

It is very hard for me to imagine that all three of these educated men wrongly assumed that she were representing them, especially since two of them stated it as fact before the grand jury, and were not corrected by Ms. Baldwin.

It seems more likely to me that they were led to believe so. The fact that Ms. Baldwin has recently obtained her own counsel seems to validate the thought that her murky role in apparently misleading the administrators may be coming under question.

Makes me wonder who was directing these actions? I can't tell if Spanier was planning on hanging Schultz and Curley out to dry before the board took him out, or if a few power players on the board were overseeing the cover-up from the beginning, or even if Attorney Baldwin on her own allowed the waters to be muddy out of a sense of loyalty to the BOT.

Spanier's suit might certainly require investigators to take another look at Ms. Baldwin's questionable ethical position, and we may end up finding out the real truth about how quickly and how high the conspiracy went.

J. J. in Phila
05-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Spanier's suit might certainly require investigators to take another look at Ms. Baldwin's questionable ethical position, and we may end up finding out the real truth about how quickly and how high the conspiracy went.

I think that might be the reason she hired a lawyer.

Spanier was very supportive of Schultz and Curley, however. That was part of what got him terminated.

Reader
05-28-2012, 10:42 PM
My guess is that at the time, they each thought the school had their backs, and that Baldwin was representing their interests on behalf of Penn State.

It is very hard for me to imagine that all three of these educated men wrongly assumed that she were representing them, especially since two of them stated it as fact before the grand jury, and were not corrected by Ms. Baldwin.

It seems more likely to me that they were led to believe so. The fact that Ms. Baldwin has recently obtained her own counsel seems to validate the thought that her murky role in apparently misleading the administrators may be coming under question.

Makes me wonder who was directing these actions? I can't tell if Spanier was planning on hanging Schultz and Curley out to dry before the board took him out, or if a few power players on the board were overseeing the cover-up from the beginning, or even if Attorney Baldwin on her own allowed the waters to be muddy out of a sense of loyalty to the BOT.

Yep, I had questioned Baldwin's ethics at one time also and was told right off that because of her esteemed background she was above reproach. Looks like the chickens are coming to roost all over..

As far as Curley and Schultz, education does not always mean smarts. They both were pretty dumb IMO to believe that a lawyer who they were not paying was working for them, and to go before a GJ and lie about something when they knew 2 other people at the time could expose them for it, and most of all to lie for whoever/whatever they were lying for, whether Spanier, the school or the BOT.

J. J. in Phila
05-28-2012, 10:51 PM
Yep, I had questioned Baldwin's ethics at one time also and was told right off that because of her esteemed background she was above reproach. Looks like the chickens are coming to roost all over..

Balwin was very high powered. She's a former State Supreme Court Justice (and a long term county judge in Allegheny County). She would probably be arguing a case before ex-colleagues.

She was also a former member of the BOT.

The thing is, if she is hiring an attorney, there must be at least a chance of some problem.

Rlaub44
05-28-2012, 11:20 PM

As far as Curley and Schultz, education does not always mean smarts. They both were pretty dumb IMO to believe that a lawyer who they were not paying was working for them, and to go before a GJ and lie about something when they knew 2 other people at the time could expose them for it, and most of all to lie for whoever/whatever they were lying for, whether Spanier, the school or the BOT.

Honestly, my suspicion is that they thought they were part of the cover-up, and they assumed they would all stick together, to have the best chance of succeeding. They were definitely dumb in the sense of being naive - they didn't catch on that they were going to be the designated fall-guys.

Having Spanier "seemingly" on their side probably gave them lots of confidence that they were going to be supported. I wonder if they don't wish now that they could re-do their entire GJ testimony, changing their story from "I don't recall" and "I didn't think it was serious/sexual" (i.e. the party line), to "I told Graham, and he instructed me ..." (i.e. watching their own backsides).

If they knew then what they know now, I am certain Curley and Schultz would have retained their own counsel, and looked to push the blame higher up the food chain. Whether or not that is more accurately what happened, I hope we find out.

Reader
05-28-2012, 11:47 PM
"Recently, Spanier learned some emails from before 2004 were retrievable, the suit said, adding that Spanier has placed the condition on speaking with the Freeh investigators that the university first give him access to communications from 1998 to 2004.Spanier had been told that emails from that time period couldn’t be obtained “inasmuch as a new email system installed in 2004 at Penn State had eliminated email records prior to 2004,” the suit said.

In the same link above is this:

"Penn State spokesman David La Torre issued a statement, saying the university “cannot comment on any specifics related to pending litigation. However, the university has cooperated fully with the Office of Attorney General and the Freeh Group and expects all of its faculty, staff and administrators, including Dr. Spanier, to cooperate to the fullest extent. The university believes it has done nothing that would prevent Dr. Spanier from meeting with the Freeh Group, which has already met with hundreds of university employees.”

Wonder if this will work for Spanier or if Freeh will subpeona him anyway, with or without his emails. This seems like a desperate measure to get out of having to testify before the Freeh Group. And the school is sure not helping him in this.

Balwin was very high powered. She's a former State Supreme Court Justice (and a long term county judge in Allegheny County). She would probably be arguing a case before ex-colleagues.

She was also a former member of the BOT.

The thing is, if she is hiring an attorney, there must be at least a chance of some problem.

Oh yes, I had read about her background way back when the GJ report came out and it's a shame that she has gotten herself involved so deep in this mess. Seems like she realizes she needs representation now since all the knifes are out in all directions. Freeh sure has opened up the can of worms, eh?

Houston, you got a problem, indeed....

J. J. in Phila
05-29-2012, 11:14 AM
Having Spanier "seemingly" on their side probably gave them lots of confidence that they were going to be supported. I wonder if they don't wish now that they could re-do their entire GJ testimony, changing their story from "I don't recall" and "I didn't think it was serious/sexual" (i.e. the party line), to "I told Graham, and he instructed me ..." (i.e. watching their own backsides).

I don't think it was "seemingly." Spanier lost his job over the defense and the AG has not ruled out an indictment. They may have thought that Spanier would be in a position to support them, and he wasn't.

Schultz, in particular has a problem, because he knew about 1998 and because he claimed that 2001 was turned over to the same agency, yet he never called the University Police (which he ran), nor contacted another LE agency. Who did he think contacted them? Tiny elves?

Ironically, if Gricar had known about 2001, and didn't prosecute, I actually would have understood. 2001 is solely dependent on how credible McQueary was/is, and that would be a difficult situation to second guess.

McQueary, be he had much more to lose in 2010-11, became more credible. He had a lot less to lose in 2001.

StellarsJay
05-29-2012, 12:16 PM
McQueary, be he had much more to lose in 2010-11, became more credible. He had a lot less to lose in 2001.

Oh, my, that strikes me as so true but so cynical- not on JJ's part but on the legal system's part.

With Curley and Schultz, we've heard that Baldwin never discussed how they would testify, even driving with them to the GJ- so says Lanny (Davis?), also saying that she didn't hear either of them say she represented them.

But the fact it has taken until now to reveal that she also went into court with Spanier makes me question that the communication was all one way and he never told her his version of 2001. With him as her boss, she was in a worse conflict of interest than with the others, and it seems very likely that until he was fired he had told her that defending PS and defending its "innocent" executives were the same thing.

What order did Curley, Schultz and Spanier testify in? I'm wondering how Baldwin heard the stories unfold.

Tipstaff
05-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Honestly, my suspicion is that they thought they were part of the cover-up, and they assumed they would all stick together, to have the best chance of succeeding. They were definitely dumb in the sense of being naive - they didn't catch on that they were going to be the designated fall-guys.

If they knew then what they know now, I am certain Curley and Schultz would have retained their own counsel, and looked to push the blame higher up the food chain. Whether or not that is more accurately what happened, I hope we find out.

BINGO - in their circle they believed they were connected and had the power to cover up the Sandusky problem just like they did in 1998 and so on - then came Ms. Ganim and her prize winning journalism expose that went global.

Reader
05-29-2012, 09:13 PM
Sandusky team meets with prosecutors, judge in Bellefonte

Read more: http://www.wgal.com/news/susquehanna-valley/state/Sandusky-team-meets-with-prosecutors-judge-in-Bellefonte/-/9758860/14281018/-/s5v16yz/-/index.html#ixzz1wJLArxCm

BELLEFONTE, Pa. -
Media outlets in State College are reporting an unscheduled meeting has been taking place between prosecutors and the Jerry Sandusky defense team members this afternoon.

According to the reports, Jerry Sandusky and his attorneys Joe Amendola and Karl Rominger, are meeting with prosecutors and Judge Cleland.

The meeting started about 3 p.m. in the courthouse annex in Bellefonte.

Emails and phone calls to the lawyers have gone unanswered.........

Representatives of the accusers filed a number of motions Tuesday requesting their identities not be revealed at trial.

Wonder what this is all about?

J. J. in Phila
05-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Plea deal?

Reader
05-29-2012, 09:51 PM
Plea deal?

lol, I had typed that question and took it off...thought maybe I was jumping the gun again....

This has been added to the article:

The meeting took a lot of people by surprise. It was not scheduled in the public court docket.

Read more: http://www.wgal.com/news/susquehanna-valley/state/Sandusky-team-meets-with-prosecutors-judge-in-Bellefonte/-/9758860/14281018/-/s5v16yz/-/index.html#ixzz1wJWfmwtg

J. J. in Phila
05-29-2012, 09:58 PM
lol, I had typed that question and took it off...thought maybe I was jumping the gun again....

This has been added to the article:

The meeting took a lot of people by surprise. It was not scheduled in the public court docket.

Read more: http://www.wgal.com/news/susquehanna-valley/state/Sandusky-team-meets-with-prosecutors-judge-in-Bellefonte/-/9758860/14281018/-/s5v16yz/-/index.html#ixzz1wJWfmwtg

Or further charges, maybe against others.

Curley and/or Schultz taking a plea.

Outside chance something involving the person I'm looking for.

Reader
05-29-2012, 10:09 PM
Also in the article:

Lawyers for so-called victims 3, 5 and 7 filed motions Tuesday asking Cleland to prevent identities of alleged victims from being disclosed publicly.

Lawyers for Victim 4 are asking for a pseudonym to be used for him during the upcoming trial.

The lawyers for Victims 3 and 7 said Sandusky's lawyer isn't opposed, but they haven't heard back from state prosecutors.

Victim 4's lawyers said his psychologist is worried about what effect disclosure of his name will have on his well-being.

Maybe they are discussing this issue? but for the victims' sake I'm still hoping for a plea deal....

StellarsJay
05-30-2012, 09:02 AM
Newly published interview with Amendola from before the gag order.
http://blogs.phillymag.com/the_philly_post/2012/05/24/jerry-sanduskys-lawyer-joe-amendola-talks/

Reader
05-30-2012, 11:27 AM
http://articles.philly.com/2012-05-29/news/31888600_1_accusers-pretrial-hearing-court-filings

Pretrial meeting sets off speculation about Sandusky

Jerry Sandusky met with his attorney, state prosecutors, and the judge handling his case Tuesday in a private, three-hour session, a day before the last scheduled pretrial hearing in his child sex-abuse case.

The previously unannounced session fueled talk of potential eleventh-hour developments in the widely watched case against the former Pennsylvania State University assistant football coach, which is set to begin jury selection next week.

"There’s a lot of speculation that a plea [deal] is going on," James Koval, a spokesman for the state Supreme Court, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "I have no indication of that at this point."
-------

And up until this week, state prosecutors were preparing the young men in the Sandusky case to testify publicly using their given names, lawyers for one said this week.

Most news organizations, including The Inquirer, have policies against identifying purported victims of sexual abuse in published accounts.

But Tuesday’s motions suggest a growing concern over the worldwide interest in the case and the effect overwhelming publicity could have on the accusers.

suz1729
05-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Just heard report that Jury selection will begin June 5th.heard it on insessions

Reader
05-30-2012, 02:14 PM
Sandusky judge denies legal team's attempt to delay case

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/30/11958116-sandusky-judge-denies-legal-teams-attempt-to-delay-case?lite

The trial of Jerry Sandusky will begin next week in Pennsylvania as scheduled, the presiding judge ruled Wednesday, denying a request for a delay by lawyers for the former Penn State assistant football coach.
--------

Still unresolved are a defense effort to have the charges dismissed and motions by four alleged victims to have their identities protected by court order.

seattlechiquita
05-30-2012, 02:21 PM
Sandusky judge denies legal team's attempt to delay case

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/30/11958116-sandusky-judge-denies-legal-teams-attempt-to-delay-case?lite

The trial of Jerry Sandusky will begin next week in Pennsylvania as scheduled, the presiding judge ruled Wednesday, denying a request for a delay by lawyers for the former Penn State assistant football coach.
--------

Still unresolved are a defense effort to have the charges dismissed and motions by four alleged victims to have their identities protected by court order.

Good for the judge, I say. Victims have waited enough.

Reader
05-30-2012, 03:01 PM
UPDATE: Jerry Sandusky hearing focuses on alleged November 2000 incident

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/30/3212302/judge-in-sandusky-case-denies.html#wgt=rcntnews#storylink=cpy

BELLEFONTE — Attorneys in the Jerry Sandusky case argued today over the sufficiency regarding the charges related to an incident in November 2000 in which a janitor allegedly saw Sandusky abusing a boy........

Prosecutor Frank Fina argued the commonwealth can present circumstantial evidence from before and after the incident.
--------

Cleland's ruling addresses the reasons the defense asked for a delay in the trial and why he is ruling against the request. For example, the ruling says that the defense wants to use a jury consultant, who is currently unavailable. The ruling says that "defense counsel has spent many years selecting juries in Centre County and I have not been presented with any evidence that his expertise will be meaningfully" helped by an expert.

Quiche
05-30-2012, 03:02 PM
I'm sure there's a great deal of pressure for this trial to commence on schedule so it can get over with as quickly as possible. Penn State is still wishing the public's amnesia will be in place by the start of the fall semester. Fat chance, imo.

Unless, there's a plea, of course. We are in the twilight of the eleventh hour-- the next few days will bring about any jockeying for position there's to be.

Wonder how Dottie's holding up-- and does she have her own legal counsel yet?

Reader
05-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Live Twitter coverage of today's hearing

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/30/3018501/live-coverage-of-sanduskys-preliminary.html#wgt=rcntnews#storylink=cpy

J. J. in Phila
05-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Victim 8. I'm really surprised that yesterday's meeting was about that.

J. J. in Phila
05-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Judge blocked an appeal of the decision: http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/05/judge_blocks_jerry_sanduskys_d.html

Reader
05-31-2012, 03:46 PM
Purpose of meeting between Sandusky team, prosecutors, judge now clear

Tues. unplanned meeting was a defense request to postpone jury selection, Denied.

The judge wrote, in part, "While I certainly do not doubt the sincerity of defense counsel in requesting a continuance, the reality of our system of justice is that no date for trial is ever perfect, but some dates are better than others. While June 5th does present its problems, on balance and considering all the interests involved – the defendant's right to a fair trial, the alleged victims' right to their day in court, the Commonwealth's obligation to prosecute promptly, and the public's expectation that justice will be timely done – no date will necessarily present a better alternative."

Read more: http://www.wgal.com/news/susquehanna-valley/state/Purpose-of-meeting-between-Sandusky-team-prosecutors-judge-now-clear/-/9758860/14281018/-/koq5s6/-/index.html#ixzz1wTdWtWuF

--------

At Wed. scheduled hearing, defense wanted some charges dropped. Per twitter link above:

AnneDanahy Judge asks #Sandusky attorney whether the jury needs to hear from witnesses to decide, attorney wants some charges dropped ·

AnneDanahy #Sandusky attorney says the more charges that go to jury, the more likely to think something must have happened ·

AnneDanahy Prosecutor argues that contextual evidence will support allegations that PSU employee saw #Sandusky in shower with a boy

I really like how this judge and prosecutor are handling the defense...

Reader
05-31-2012, 03:59 PM
Other links to follow hearings and trial:

WGAL.com Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/Sanduskyabusetrial

------

Twitter/News 8:

https://twitter.com/#!/SanduskyTrial

Reader
05-31-2012, 04:06 PM
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1431&pictureid=13653

J. J. in Phila
05-31-2012, 04:15 PM
Let's see how t goes. Victim 8 is the weakest charge; that could be the benchmark.

Reader
05-31-2012, 07:46 PM
I'm sure there's a great deal of pressure for this trial to commence on schedule so it can get over with as quickly as possible. Penn State is still wishing the public's amnesia will be in place by the start of the fall semester. Fat chance, imo.

Unless, there's a plea, of course. We are in the twilight of the eleventh hour-- the next few days will bring about any jockeying for position there's to be.

Wonder how Dottie's holding up-- and does she have her own legal counsel yet?

Denial is a great holder-upper....I'm wondering if during the trial, some of the victims testify that Dottie was in the home during their abuses, knew of them and did nothing to help, and JS is convicted of those charges, will she also be charged?

I know a lot of 'ifs' before the trial has even started but that question and the one about the conspiracy and who was involved in it, are my 2 main questions about this entire situation.

J. J. in Phila
05-31-2012, 08:08 PM
I know a lot of 'ifs' before the trial has even started but that question and the one about the conspiracy and who was involved in it, are my 2 main questions about this entire situation.

I think there are a lot of questions of who did what. Baldwin has an attorney; the AG has not ruled out charges against Spanier.

J. J. in Phila
05-31-2012, 08:40 PM
Sandusky is appealing the judges decision to not to delay the case: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/31/3213886/penn-state-president-looks-beyond.html

Reader
05-31-2012, 09:51 PM
All these people want to delay, delay, delay....

Former Penn State administrators Curley and Schultz ask court for more time to file motions

Tim Curley and Gary Schultz, the high-level former Penn State administrators facing perjury charges in the Jerry Sandusky case, are asking the court for more time to file pretrial motions for discovery and inspection.

The deadline for Curley and Schultz to file the motions is Friday, but the two want more time. A pretrial conference in the case also is scheduled for Friday.

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/31/3213470/former-penn-state-administrators.html#storylink=cpy

StellarsJay
06-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Erickson is playing games too? How does a Grand Jury decide when to hear certain people?

"Though Erickson has been subpoenaed, he said he has not testified before the grand jury."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/05/29/anthony.gonzalez.ap/index.html?sct=obnetwork

J. J. in Phila
06-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Erickson is playing games too? How does a Grand Jury decide when to hear certain people?

"Though Erickson has been subpoenaed, he said he has not testified before the grand jury."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/05/29/anthony.gonzalez.ap/index.html?sct=obnetwork

The grand jury can subpoenaed documents, so that would be a possibility. People can be subpoenaed and not called, even when the case goes to court (that happened to me). A person can also take the fifth, though they would be immunized before a grand jury.

Rlaub44
06-01-2012, 03:52 PM
The Superior Court has denied Sandusky's appeal for a delay.

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/06/01/3214840/superior-court-denies-jerry-sandusky.html

Pensfan
06-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Good for the judge, I say. Victims have waited enough.
.......and 98% of the students are not at State College (near Bellefonte) during summer break.
Students are furious at Sandusky and they can be rowdy and unpredictable. In addition, the angering tactics of Sandusky and his attorney should be curtailed asap.

J. J. in Phila
06-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Sandusky is appealing to the Supremes:

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/06/jerry_sanduskys_attorneys_go_t.html

I is a valiant move of the attorney's part.

It could be a risky move. The Supreme Court ruling that there was enough time would take away an appellant issue.

StellarsJay
06-02-2012, 11:42 AM
"For the Sandusky trial, Jury Commissioner Hope Miller said her office summoned 600 people. [over the usual 500]

"This time of year you have a lot of people going on vacation, you have a lot of students who have left the area for the summer," she said of the increase.
Miller said 211 people returned the questionnaires for the Sandusky jury selection, right in the middle of the 175 to 265 people who typically do so."

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/06/02/3215518/jury-selection-a-calculated-science.html

Reader
06-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Quest for the truth aids lead prosecutor in Sandusky case, colleagues say

..........Philadelphia-based defense attorney Fortunato N. Perri Jr. has known McGettigan for 25 years, and thinks he’s the right man for the job.

“One of the last things you’d like to see when you walk in as a defense attorney is Joe sitting on the other side,” he said.

Perri worked alongside McGettigan with the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office and against him in private practice in both state and federal court.

“He’s very passionate about what he believes in,” Perri said. “He’s bright — a tireless, dedicated worker, and a tremendous trial lawyer — one of the best I’ve ever seen in my career.”
--------

In Centre County court, McGettigan has shown he speaks quickly and doesn’t mince words. He has been both eloquent and verbose in his responses to Sandusky attorney Joe Amendola.

“If you are where he is trying to get, you are going to get run over,” Peruto said.

McAndrews said Sandusky’s defense is in for a challenge.

“(McGettigan) has an amazing knack to know what the defense is going to do, sometimes before the defense knows what they are going to do,” he said. “It’s uncanny really — not something you see very often. His capacity to do that is unmatched.”

Peruto said McGettigan won’t let a defense attorney “get away with shenanigans,” and will attack weak arguments.

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/06/01/3214243/quest-for-the-truth-aids-lead.html#wgt=rcntnews#storylink=cpy

Reader
06-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Judge OKs delay of Curley, Schultz case so lawyers can review documents

........Meanwhile, a request to dismiss a failure to report abuse charge against the two men remains outstanding.

Judge Todd A. Hoover granted a two-week delay on Friday, the same day he conducted a 30-minute closed-door meeting with attorneys in the case. Curley and Schultz did not attend.

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/06/02/3215551/judge-oks-delay-of-curley-schultz.html#wgt=rcntnews#storylink=cpy

J. J. in Phila
06-02-2012, 08:35 PM
To background articles on the case:

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/06/02/3215891/the-cast-of-characters-as-penn.html

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/06/02/3216038/penn-state-trial-to-paint-2-portraits.html

J. J. in Phila
06-03-2012, 07:21 AM
A nice summary: http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/06/jerry_sandusky_trial.html

Reader
06-03-2012, 04:28 PM
No news that I can find yet on the Pa. Supreme Court site about a Sandusky decision:

http://www.pacourts.us/T/SupremeCourt/SupremePostings.htm

-------

Centre County court site has listing and link to all documents from 11/4/11 to present:

http://www.co.centre.pa.us/media/

J. J. in Phila
06-03-2012, 04:40 PM
No news that I can find yet on the Pa. Supreme Court site about a Sandusky decision:

http://www.pacourts.us/T/SupremeCourt/SupremePostings.htm

-------

Centre County court site has listing and link to all documents from 11/4/11 to present:

http://www.co.centre.pa.us/media/

The have a delay, and I don't think they will post until there is a decision.

Reader
06-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Jerry Sandusky soon to face accusers in child sexual abuse trial

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/sc-nw-sandusky-trial-20120603,0,3605760.story

........As many as eight young men will confront the retired Penn State assistant football coach from the witness stand in the coming weeks and tell a jury their accounts of the abuse they allege he committed over the course of 13 years.

After jury selection, set to begin Tuesday and conclude later in the week, prosecutors are likely to open with the most visceral testimony they have, lawyers familiar with the case say........

Retired federal prosecutor Seth Weber said that although Sandusky's lawyers had identified weak spots in the state's case, it is clear the prosecutors have confidence in their evidence........

And although Sandusky's attorneys have received thousands of pages of investigative documents from prosecutors, Sandusky gave up his right to hear the state's witnesses testify before trial. That puts defense attorneys Joe Amendola and Karl Rominger at a disadvantage, not knowing how the prosecution witnesses will hold up to cross-examination.........

Sandusky's lawyers have signaled that in addition to trying to discredit his accusers, they intend to present Sandusky as a victim of a conspiracy among the accusers to fabricate allegations of abuse. The accusers, Amendola has said, intended to cash in with civil suits against Penn State.

More at link....

J. J. in Phila
06-04-2012, 08:33 AM
Ganim does a nice chronological breakdown on the case: http://www.pennlive.com/specialprojects/index.ssf/2012/06/breakdown_of_each_case_against.html

J. J. in Phila
06-04-2012, 10:48 AM
No pseudonyms for the alleged victims: http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/06/sandusky_prosecutors_dont_have.html

No tweeting from the trial either.

I think the judge is right on both.

Reader
06-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Sandusky judge denies accusers' bid for pseudonyms

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CD9V6BUN80%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=1011&page=1

BELLEFONTE, Pa. (AP) — Alleged victims of former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky will have to testify using their real names, and tweets or other electronic communications by reporters will not be permitted during the trial, the judge ruled Monday.........

"Arguably any victim of any crime would prefer not to appear in court, not to be subjected to cross-examination, not to have his or her credibility evaluated by a jury — not to put his name and reputation at stake," the judge wrote. "But we ask citizens to do that every day in courts across the nation."

Media organizations, including The Associated Press, typically do not identify people who say they were sexually abused.
-------

Cleland has not ruled on defense motions to have some or all of the charges thrown out, and the Pennsylvania Supreme Court has not ruled on a motion by Sandusky filed late Friday that requests a delay in the start of trial.

The court's docket indicated that Sandusky was asking for "extraordinary relief" and a court official said the file was sealed and unavailable for inspection.

More at link....

J. J. in Phila
06-04-2012, 03:09 PM
And the Supremes don't sing "Stop in the Name of Love."

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/06/04/3217801/breaking-news-pennsylvania-supreme.html

The PA Supreme Court refuses to delay the Sandusky trial.

Quiche
06-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Wow, the reporters are going to have to go "old school" to give us what we want! LOL I wonder if anybody knows shorthand anymore??? I imagine that even taking notes on a keyboard would be taboo because of all the dang noise it would make. Hmmmmm This will be interesting.

I'm sorry these young men are not going to be able to conceal their identities, but thankfully, in this country, you can change your name if you want to. If I were them, I'd be thinking up a new one right about now. :( JMO

J. J. in Phila
06-04-2012, 06:05 PM
KYW TV, Philadelphia, Sandusky under federal investigation for Victim 4, crossing state lines to the Alamo Bowl.

Reader
06-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Jury selection to begin in Sandusky trial

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jury-selection-begin-sandusky-trial-215048230--ncaaf.html

BELLEFONTE, Pa. (AP) Picking 12 people to decide Jerry Sandusky's fate in the child-molestation case that brought down coach Joe Paterno and scandalized Penn State could prove a monumental task in a county where practically everyone went to the university, works there, knows someone there or is a fan of the football team.

More at link.....

Reader
06-04-2012, 08:55 PM
KYW TV, Philadelphia, Sandusky under federal investigation for Victim 4, crossing state lines to the Alamo Bowl.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=8688082&hpt=ju_bn4

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. - June 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- Multiple sources tell Action News defense attorneys for Jerry Sandusky have received a target letter from federal investigators, which means he is now at the center of a federal investigation.

Sources tell Action News the investigation centers around Victim 4 in the state's case. Federal investigators are probing Jerry Sandusky for allegedly taking the child across state lines to engage in sex.
-------

A target is a person whom the prosecutor or grand jury has substantial evidence linking him or her to the commission of a crime.

The letter means the feds believe they have substantial evidence and an indictment is likely.

Andreozzi expects his client [Victim 4] to be the first on the stand when the state trial begins next week

"I think it's fair to say he's extremely anxious to get this over with; this has been the most difficult time of his life," Andreozzi said.

More at link......

KaylynnCouture
06-04-2012, 11:23 PM
Is the trial going to be televised (like on In Session)? Does anyone know?

J. J. in Phila
06-04-2012, 11:40 PM
Is the trial going to be televised (like on In Session)? Does anyone know?

They don't permit televised trials in PA.

HMSHood
06-05-2012, 12:07 AM

I wonder if Sandusky will go to federal trial once state trial is over. Federal charges are very serious.

J. J. in Phila
06-05-2012, 12:22 AM
I wonder if Sandusky will go to federal trial once state trial is over. Federal charges are very serious.

Possibly. It seems like the federal investigation is starting.

I think the appropriate text is here:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2423

Just like the case with B. K. from 1998, Sandusky could be facing more charges.

StellarsJay
06-05-2012, 12:59 AM
Here is the first of four posts of a Sandusky-Penn State timeline I have pasted together. The framework is a very good sports media account that provides a vivid contrast between Sandusky's public and private lives. Not only was he a busy boy, there's a feeling of manic outbursts when the sports victories and the assaults are joined.

1. Sandusky timeline compilation:
Sources: The main timeline is from:
Sandusky's double life - in public, a saint; in private, an alleged monsterPublished: November 20, 2011
http://citizensvoice.com/news/timeline-sandusky-s-double-life-in-public-a-saint-in-private-an-alleged-monster-1.1234866#axzz1sYNIlucT
Other siources:
Bill of particulars. http://www.co.centre.pa.us/media/upload/SANDUSKY%20Bill%20of%20Particulars.pdf
Excerpts from “Touched”, second-hand quotes.
Several news articles on Matthew Sandusky
Recent summary by Sara Ganim and others.

1977: Jerry Sandusky, recently promoted to defensive coordinator at Penn State, forms "The Second Mile," an organization with the mission of helping troubled young boys, particularly those from absent or dysfunctional families.
Jan. 1, 1982: Penn State wins its first national championship with a 27-23 win over No. 1 Georgia.
1985 or 86: Matthew had joined The Second Mile around age 7, along with his younger brother, Ron Heichel, a bigger and more rambunctious kid than shy and reserved Matt.
1986: Jerry Sandusky is named Assistant Coach of the Year (says Wikipedia)
Jan. 2, 1987: Sandusky's punishing defense intercepts Heisman-winning quarterback Vinny Testaverde five times, lifting Penn State to a 14-10 upset of No. 1 Miami and the school's second national title.
October 1987: In an interview with NBC News, Sandusky discusses his affinity for working with children: "I enjoy being around children. I enjoy their enthusiasm. I just have a good time with them."
1988: Jack Reykovitz becomes President of Second Mile
1989: Sandusky entered the lives of the Longs as a mentor when Matt was 10 years old, via The Second Mile charity
November 1990: Praise for The Second Mile's work with children is widespread. President George H.W. Bush names The Second Mile one of his 1,000 points of light.
1993: In `Touched``, Jerry says that when Matt is in 8th grade Matt`s mother agrees that Matt will study and spend time with the Sanduskys. Matt will sign a contract and be rewarded with money, part in cash and part in a college fund.
For a while Matt did better in school, then slid back after he goes to the Orlando Cirtus Bowl with Jerry and family.[January 1, 1994 Penn State 31 Tennessee 13.] At a baseball game, Matt`s mother and her boyfriend eneded the contract and it was difficult for Jerry to see Matt. P 101, Touched
Dec 30, 1993: Tim Curley named Director of Athletics
1994: Sandusky meets one of his earliest alleged victims, a 10-year-old boy identified as Victim 7, through the Second Mile program. Several years later, Sandusky invites the boy to football games at Penn State and State College Area High School, according to a grand jury report.
1994: In 1994 the police were called to Sandusky’s home to investigate a theft of cash and clothing that Matt had been accused of stealing.
1994-95Boy known as Victim 6 meets Sandusky at a Second Mile picnic at Spring Creek Park when he is 7 or 8 years old.
January 1995: Matt is 16. Jerry Sandusky was in Los Angeles preparing for the 1995 Rose Bowl game when he made calls back to Centre County and arranged for Matt to move to Sandusky’s house directly from juvenile detention, where Matt was being held after his arrest for setting fire to a barn
In `Touched`the person who arranged Matt`s placement is said to be Tim Janoko. Janoko was a football player for Sandusky and became his close friend. He started and led a chapter of Second Mile and was a Director of TSM in 2011. P102 Touched. Janoko visited Matt in detention and said he wanted to be placed with the Sanduskys.
Jan. 2, 1995: Penn State completes its last undefeated season with a 38-20 win over Oregon in the Rose Bowl. The team finishes No. 2 in the nation behind Nebraska.
1995: Cynthia Baldwin joins Penn Board of Trustees
Sept 1, 1995 Graham Spanier becime head of Penn State
1995: Gerry Schultz, with Penn State since 1971, is promoted to VP of Finanace and Business
Beginning of 1996:About four months after moving to the Sandusky home, Matt attempted suicide with a girl living at the Sandusky home. [A commenter says the girl was Dottie’s niece, which makes more sense than Kara, and it doesn’t sound as if they were fostering girls.]
Police records… show that Matt ran away in 1996.
In a letter the school-based probation officer, Terry Trude, expressed concerns about Matt’s placement with the Sandusky’s, even though he acknowledged that Matt should remain in foster care.
Sandusky wrote that after Matt attempted suicide, “It got to the point where the authorities were going to take him away from us, but fortunately two people stepped in and, in our eyes, saved that young man’s life.”
One was a psychologist, (Dr. Fox) who wrote a letter telling the judge that Matt should go back into the Sandusky home. Matt wrote a similar letter to the judge asking to return. The other person was Judge Grine, now retired.
A school probation officer, Terry Trude, wrote a letter voicing concern about Matt’s safety, days after the 1996 suicide attempt, saying he did not believe the Sandusky home was the appropriate place for Matt.
1996 to 99 Victim 7, aged 11 to 14.
Fall 1996: Sandusky meets an 8-year-old boy identified in the grand jury report as Victim 5 at a Second Mile camp on the Penn State campus. Sandusky befriends the boy, taking him to at least 15 Penn State football games, according to the report. Victim 5 tells investigators that Sandusky would often put his hand on his left leg when they were driving in Sandusky's car, whenever the boy sat in the front seat.
1996: Sandusky becomes close with a 12-year-old identified in the grand jury report as Victim 4, who is in his second year of the Second Mile program. victim) he could be a walk-on player at Penn State," and the boy appeared in a linebacker video featuring Sandusky, and a photo accompanying an article about Sandusky in Sports Illustrated, the report says.
1997/8 When Matt turns adult at 18, and no longer “belongs” to his mother, Sandusky adopts him. Presumably this gets his college paid for by Jerry’s status at Penn. At least some of Matt’s files are sealed.
1996-1998: Sandusky takes Victim 5, between 8 and 10 years old at the time, to the Penn State football facility for a workout, according to the grand jury report. Afterward, the boy tells investigators, Sandusky takes him to the sauna and pushes him "about a little bit," then showers with the boy.

Reader
06-05-2012, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the timeline, StellarsJay! This will help a lot in following the trial and remembering the events and people.

Looking forward to the rest of it....

StellarsJay
06-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Afterthought on post 1- Sandusky was 33 in 1977 when he founded Second Mile.
You are welcome to expand or correct this with your own collection of information.

Sandusky Timeline Part 2.
--2---
Summer 1997- 1999 Relationship with Victim 10, age 10-11
Fall 1997: Victim 10, who came forward after Sandusky was charged. Ganim says: a troubled boy who became involved in The Second Mile at age 10. Sandusky started to take interest in him after his first summer at camp, called his mom and invited him to a football game… The relationship ended when Sandusky asked him to perform a sex act in the car during a trip and he refused.
Jan. 1, 1998Victim 4 is listed, along with Sandusky's wife, as a member of Sandusky's family party for the 1998 Outback Bowl. Timeline:
May 3 1998: Sandusky showers with an 11 year-old boy (Victim 6) and washes the boy's body in the football locker room, according to the grand jury report. University Police and Child Protective Services investigate, with the support of Wendell Courtney, the university counsel who later served as counsel to The Second Mile. The mother of the boy confronts Sandusky at her home as a university police detective and a municipal police detective listen in on the conversation. Sandusky admits the inappropriate conduct, telling the mother: "I was wrong. I wish I could get forgiveness. I know I won't get it from you. I wish I were dead." He makes a similar admission to an investigator with the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare. The university police detective advises Sandusky not to shower with a child again, and Sandusky promises he would not. No charges are filed.
May 13, 1998: Detectives listen in as the mother of Victim 6 confronts Sandusky about showering with her son and the effect it had on her son. She asks Sandusky if he had sexual feelings when he hugged her naked son. Sandusky admits showering with other boys as well, but refuses to promise that he never to shower with a boy again. The mother of Victim 6 asks Sandusky if his "private parts" touched Victim 6 when he hugged him. Sandusky says, "I don't think so ... maybe."
But in 1998, according to a grand jury report, Victim No. 6, who is now 24, told his mother he had showered with Sandusky in Penn State's Holuba Hall. Wendell Courtney, Penn State's general counsel, reviewed that report on behalf of the university before submitting it to then-Centre County District Attorney Ray Gricar.
May 15, 1998: Sandusky speaks at State College Area High School commencement ceremonies at the Bryce Jordan Center on the Penn State campus.
May 19, 1998: Sandusky meets again with the mother of Victim 6, who says he cannot see the boy anymore. Sandusky, overheard by two detectives who are listening in, says: "I understand. I was wrong. I wish I could get forgiveness. I know I won't get it from you. I wish I were dead."
June 1, 1998: Sandusky admits to Jerry Lauro, an investigator with the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare, that he showered naked with Victim 6 and hugged the boy while in the shower. He concedes that his behavior is wrong and promises not to shower with any child again.
1998: Penn State police and Lauro drop their cases.
June 19, 1998: Sandusky hosts the annual Second Mile golf outing.
Jan. 1, 1999: Sandusky coaches in Penn State's 26-14 win over Kentucky in the Outback Bowl. Victim 4 tells investigators he traveled to the bowl game with Sandusky's family party. The same boy said he often stayed with Sandusky and the team at the Toftrees resort near the Penn State campus the night before home games and accompanied Sandusky to charity outings.
1999: Relationships with Victim 7 and 10 end.
May 1999: Paterno tells Sandusky that he would not be the next coach. Victim 4 later tells investigators he remembered Sandusky being upset after seeing Paterno. Sandusky told the victim not to tell anyone about the meeting.
July 1, 1999: Athletic director Tim Curley issues a press release announcing Sandusky's decision to retire following the 1999 season. …His achievement as a human being, Curley says, "is splendidly demonstrated by the thousands of youngsters he touches annually through The Second Mile."
August 1999: Penn State players honor Sandusky at the team's media day event, saying they only wanted him in the photo with them, not Paterno. After Paterno moves out of camera range, Sandusky jokes: "I've waited 30 years for that!"
November 1999: Penn state loses three straight games to end the regular season, including Sandusky's final home game - a 31-27 comeback win for Michigan.
Victim 4 testified before a grand jury that Sandusky showered him with gifts and the victim accompanied Sandusky to the 1998 Outback Bowl in Tampa and the 1999 Alamo Bowl in San Antonio.
Dec. 28, 1999: Sandusky takes Victim 4 to the Alamo Bowl
His final game coaching at Penn State was a notable game for Sandusky. Penn State faced Texas A&M in the 1999 Alamo Bowl in San Antonio, Texas. The Nittany Lions' defense shut out Texas A&M, 24–0, the only bowl game shutout victory for Penn State under Paterno. Sandusky was recognized in ways usually reserved for a head coach. He was doused with a water bucket and carried to the center of the field on the shoulders of his players.[10]
1999 Sandusky is again named Assistant Coach of the Year.
He retires in 1999 at age 55. Paterno was then 72.What was the date to the retirement party?
January 1999: In retirement, Sandusky holds emeritus status with Penn State. In addition to the regular privileges of a professor emeritus, he had an office and a telephone in the Lasch Building. The status allows him access to all recreational facilities, a parking pass for a vehicle, access to a Penn State account for the internet, listing in the faculty directory, faculty discounts at the bookstore and educational privileges for himself and eligible dependents. As a retired coach, Sandusky had unlimited access to the football facilities, including the locker rooms.
In 20000 the relationship with Victum 4, then 17, ends.
2000: Laasch football building is formally opened.
Jan. 10, 2000: The American Football Coaches Association honors Sandusky as the Division I-A assistant coach of the year. The group donates a $5,000 academic scholarship to Penn State in Sandusky's name. Sandusky later addresses the convention, speaking on the topic, "Working With Young People."
Jan. 17, 2000: The Philadelphia Sports Writers Association honors Sandusky with its Career Achievement Award.
April 1, 2000: Sandusky and the Second Mile are honored at a Celebration of Excellence in Hershey.
April 2, 2000: Sandusky delivers the keynote speech at the Central Pennsylvania Chapter of the National Football Foundation's annual banquet.
April 14, 2000: Nearly 1,200 people attend a testimonial and roast for Sandusky at the Bryce Jordan Center, the Penn State basketball arena, including Paterno and University president Graham Spanier. Paterno leaves early claiming a prior commitment. In his brief remarks, Paterno says Sandusky is, "what Penn State is all about." Spanier says, "There are very few people in Penn State's history who have made the impact he has made. His impact was not only as a coach, but also as a person. I think it's a unique combination. He's someone who has changed the lives of tens of thousands of people."
June 23, 2000: Sandusky hosts annual Second Mile golf outing.
June 26, 2000: Sandusky speaks to more than 500 people about his coaching career and charitable activities at an event for the Lehigh Valley chapter of the Second Mile.
Summer 2000 to late 2002: Sandusky meets a seventh grader, age 13, identified in the grand jury report as Victim 3, through the Second Mile.
July 4, 2000: The American Football Coaches Association selects Sandusky as its Division I-A Assistant Coach of the Year and a $5,000 academic scholarship is given to Penn State in Sandusky's name.
Sept. 2, 2000: Penn State plays its first home game since Sandusky's retirement, a 24-6 loss to Toledo. Fans are incredulous that Sandusky, who is sitting in the stands, is not honored or even mentioned before or during the game.
November 2000: Victim 8: A janitor, Jim Calhoun, observes Sandusky in the assistant coaches' shower room, pinning a young boy against the wall and performing oral sex on him sometime between 10 p.m. and 12:30 a.m. Ganim: The employees, fearing for their jobs, never reported what they saw, however the same night another janitor saw Sandusky leaving hand-in-hand with a boy, and later saw Sandusky circling the parking lot.
Oct. 21, 2000: Sandusky serves as grand marshal in the Penn State homecoming parade, tossing candy to the crowd from his perch in a white convertible.
Nov. 16, 2000: Paterno speaks about the impact of Sandusky's retirement on the football program. His answer is telling about the relationships Sandusky maintained with people in the program and his presence on campus. "We miss Jerry as a person," Paterno says. "He has friends on the field and on the coaching staff. We see him a lot."
Dec. 13, 2000: Sandusky receives the Broyles Lifetime Achievement Award, an award for assistant coaches named in honor of former University of Arkansas football coach Frank Broyles.
Dec. 20, 2000: Sandusky interviews with Virginia director of athletics Terry Holland for the university's head coaching vacancy. Ten days later, Virginia hires Al Groh instead. After Sandusky's arrest two weeks ago, Holland says he was unaware during the interview process of any allegations against the former coach.
January 1, 2001: Sandusky publishes an autobiography called, "Touched: The Jerry Sandusky Story," which he co-authors with former team manager Kip Richeal. In the book, Sandusky reveals that his love of children led him to decline several job offers, including an invitation to be head coach at Marshall in the 1970s. If he had accepted the job, Sandusky would have left the foster child he and his wife were caring for. "I came to the realization that we wouldn't be able to take him with us," Sandusky wrote.
Victim 2 Corrected dates:
February 9, 2001: Mike McQueary, a 28-year-old graduate assistant coach, walks into the football facility around 9:30 p.m. to put away new sneakers and pick up recruiting videos. He is surprised to find the lights and showers on and hear the rhythmic slapping sounds of sexual activity, according to the report. He looks in the shower and sees a naked boy about 10 years old, identified in the report as Victim 2, with his hands up against the wall as Sandusky sexually assaults him. McQueary leaves immediately, according to the report, but McQueary says later that he stopped the abuse first before leaving. McQueary goes to his office and calls his father to tell him what he has witnessed. McQueary's father tells him to report the incident to Paterno.
February 10, 2001: McQueary calls Paterno and then visits Paterno's home and tells him what he saw in the locker room. Paterno tells the grand jury that McQueary appeared upset, according to the report.
February 11, 2001: Paterno invites Curley, his immediate supervisor, to his home and tells him that McQueary had seen Sandusky in the football complex fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy, the report says.
February 21, 2001: About 10 days later, Curley calls McQueary to a meeting with Gary Schultz, the university vice president who duties include supervision of the campus police force. McQueary, according to the report, tells them what he witnessed.
End of February 2001: Curley tells McQueary the university has stripped Sandusky of his locker room keys, directed him not to use Penn State facilities with young people and reported the incident to the Second Mile. In later testimony before the grand jury, Curley says he relayed McQueary's report to Spanier and admits that the ban on Sandusky using campus facilities was not enforceable. The campus police never question McQueary, according to the report, and the matter appears to go dormant.
March 2, 2001: The Centre County Chamber of Business and Industry recognizes Sandusky with the Community Service Award for his work with at-risk children through The Second Mile.
Aug. 5, 2001: Sandusky, Sue Paterno and other prominent community members lobby Little League baseball to allow the State College American All-Star team's honorary captain, a boy with Down's Syndrome, to sit with the team in the dugout when it plays in Williamsport.
Sept. 21, 2001: The Penn State Board of Trustees votes to sell 40 acres of university property to The Second Mile.
Dec. 26, 2001: Sandusky's son, Matthew, is arrested for harassing a former girlfriend.
2002: Sandusky begins his affiliation with Central Mountain High School, assisting Second Mile members who play on the school's football team.
During 2002: relationship with victim 5, then 12, ends
Feb. 14, 2002: Sandusky's son, Matthew, marries.
March 28, 2002: McQueary, a former Penn State quarterback, plays in and Sandusky coaches in the annual Easter Bowl, a flag football game at Memorial Field in State College. The event raises $14,500 for Easter Seals Central Pennsylvania, which serves children and adults with disabilities.
April 2002: A former girlfriend files a protection-from-abuse petition against Sandusky's adopted son, Matthew.

Reader
06-05-2012, 01:40 PM
Thanks again, StellarsJay...I had no idea that after the 1998 investigation was droppped and he retired, that Sandusky received so many awards and recognitions. Guess he thought it was all behind him and he could now do what he liked.

3 jurors picked for Sandusky child sex abuse trial

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?id=18959727&ps=1011&srce=news_class&action=2&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_USNWU00L2_UNEWS

BELLEFONTE, Pa. (AP) — Three of the 16 jurors and alternates needed for former Penn State football coach Jerry Sandusky's child sex abuse trial were selected Tuesday morning as the high-profile case got under way in earnest after months of legal wrangling and intense publicity.

One of two middle-aged women selected told the court she's been a Penn State football season-ticketholder since the 1970s and that her husband works for the medical group where the father of key witness Mike McQueary previously worked. A 24-year-old man was also selected.........

Judge John Cleland told the more than 220 potential jurors he would not sequester them, meaning they can spend nights at home during the trial that is expected to last several weeks..........

Sandusky is attending jury selection, and laughed at some of Cleland's humorous remarks to potential jurors. But when Cleland told the pool the nature of the charge, Sandusky put his head down..............

Some of the alleged victims are expected to testify during the trial, the opening of which is likely to begin on Monday morning. Cleland said the trial may last three weeks.

[Dottie is not there.]

More at link.....

J. J. in Phila
06-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Sara Ganim is on the potential defense witness list.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/06/jury_selection_begins_in_jerry.html

StellarsJay
06-05-2012, 02:28 PM
-3- Sandusky Timeline

2002: Pinnacle Development and Village at Penn State is busy arranging funding.
Penn State President Graham Spanier, conceived the project in 1995. Paterno was partnered with the same team of investors in developing a golf resort and nearby restaurant and inn. Paterno also joined with other current and former Second Mile board members on a bottled water company, a coaching website and a chain of convenience stores.
Pinnacle Development, one-half of the developer team that built The Village at Penn State, included Paterno, Poole, William Schreyer -- a Penn State trustee whose daughter is a longtime board member of The Second Mile -- and local developer Philip Sieg. Each partner stood to make an estimated $590,000 in fees and 15 percent annual interest on a $125,000 initial investment if the project was successful enough to get funding for a second phase, according to The Daily. (Didn’t Spanier get anything?)
June 8, 2002: Sandusky is in the stands cheering on Centre County's unified softball team at the local Special Olympics.
June 2002: Karen Ganter, wife of offensive coordinator Fran Ganter, suffers heart attack and dies at age 53.
June 18, 2002: Sandusky attends Second Mile Foster Family Day at Hersheypark.
June 21-22, 2002: Sandusky hosts the 22nd annual Uni-Mart Second Mile Celebrity Golf Classic. McQueary is scheduled to attend.
June 23, 2002: Paterno's brother, former Penn State broadcaster George Paterno, suffers a massive heart attack and dies at age 73. Paterno laments that he wishes he could have done more for his broth
Aug. 12, 2002: Sandusky's son, Matthew, welcomes a daughter
Late 2002- relationship with Victim 3, then 15, ends.
April 2003: Sandusky's Marine son, Jeffrey, is deployed to active duty in support of Operation Enduring Freedom, the U.S. campaign in Afghanistan.
April 3, 2003: Sandusky and the Second Mile's vice president of programs, Katherine Genovese, accept an organization of the year honor from the Pennsylvania School Counselors Association.
May 18, 2003: Sandusky plays in 5th annual Coaches vs. Cancer Celebrity Golf Tournament at the Penn State Blue Course.
June 21, 2003: Sandusky hosts the annual Second Mile golf tournament. McQueary is scheduled to attend.
Aug. 9, 2003: Sandusky plays in the Nittany Lions Wrestling Golf Classic.
Fall 2003: Sandusky joins the Central Mountain High School football team as a part-time volunteer assistant coach.
2004 to 2008: Victim 9 came forward after Sandusky was charged. Gamon says: he was a Second Mile child who began socializing with Sandusky as his guest at football games. Sandusky bought him gifts and gave him money, and would pick him up from school and take him home, where he would spend the night.
He said he was always told to stay in the basement, and that’s where he would eat meals, hang out, and sleep. He called out to Dottie for help.
January 2004: Sandusky is among the featured guests at the Hanover Rotary Club Sports Night and York Area Sports Night, both held at high schools in the York area.
Jan. 25, 2004: Sandusky tells the Centre Daily Times in State College about his continued involvement on the Penn State campus, despite a ban that few know about at the time: "I still go over there (to the football complex) to work out but I don't know enough about what's going on (with the team) to have an opinion. If I knew a little more I'd be dangerous."
Feb. 7, 2004: Penn State coaches attend a funeral for the mother of defensive coordinator Tom Bradley.
Feb. 17, 2004: Paterno replaces offensive coordinator Fran Ganter with former Penn State quarterback Galen Hall and promotes McQueary to full-time assistant coach and recruiting coordinator.
March 1, 2004: Sandusky attends the grand opening of the Lehigh Valley chapter of the Second Mile.
March 6, 2004: Sandusky represents the Second Mile at the Celebration of Excellence in Hershey. Former Notre Dame coach Tyrone Willingham is honored.
April 9, 2004: Sandusky again coaches and McQueary again plays in the annual Easter Seals flag football game.
May 13, 2004: Penn State awards Paterno a four-year contract extension. In a statement, Curley says Paterno's "stamp on our football program, and our institution, is indelible." Spanier says Paterno's contributions to the university "have brought great pride to Penn State alumni, faculty, staff, students and friends."
May 17, 2004: Sandusky delivers the keynote address at the annual banquet of the Pennsylvania Dutch Council of the Boy Scouts of America in Lancaster.
June 15, 2004: Sandusky joins more than 1,000 foster parents and families for Foster Family Day at Hersheypark.
June 18, 2004: Sandusky teams coaches a team of former linebackers to a win in the putting contest at the annual Second Mile golf tournament. NFL Hall of Famer Franco Harris, later a staunch critic of Paterno's firing, serves as honorary chair.
June 23-26, 2004: Sandusky holds a football camp at the Penn State campus in Erie for boys in grades 4 through 9.
July 2004: Sandusky, flexing his charitable muscle, delivers a keynote speech for donors supporting a former player's father in his battle against kidney cancer.
Sept. 11, 2004: Sandusky joins 300 Second Mile children for a ride on the Strasburg Rail Road near Lancaster.
Sept. 19, 2004: Sandusky writes a column for the Centre Daily Times recounting his Penn State memories.
Oct. 1, 2004: Sandusky speaks on-campus at the closing ceremonies of the Penn State Sesquicentennial Game, an event pitting various groups of students in a myriad of Olympic-style activities.
Nov. 6, 2004: Sandusky is inducted into Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame along with notable athletes from the state, including Ken Griffey, Sr. and Olympic heavy weight wrestler Bruce Baumgartner.
-2005 or 2006: Victim 1, an 11 or 12-year-old boy, meets Sandusky through the Second Mile program. In his second year in the program, the boy attends the Second Mile's camp on the Penn State campus.
Jan. 12, 2005: Sandusky returns to the York area Sports Night circuit.
Jan. 15, 2005: Sandusky attends a "friend-raiser" at a State College hotel to raise money and awareness for the Second Mile.
March 23, 2005: Jerry Sandusky recounts passing Paterno in the hallway while working out at the Penn State football complex. "Thought we got rid if you," Paterno says, according to Sandusky.
Summer 2005 Victim 1 told police he was 12 or 13 and in the Second Mile program when he met Sandusky and began staying at his home
The Bill of particulars says the abuse was between 2005 and 2008,age 11 to 15
Summer 2005 or 2006: Victim 1 testifies Sandusky began to make inappropriate contact with him, blowing on his bare stomach and kissing him on the mouth. Sandusky, according to the report, encourages the boy to participate as a Second Mile volunteer and showers him with gifts, including golf clubs, a computer, gym clothes, dress clothes and cash.
June 19-22, 2005: Sandusky holds camps at Albright College in Reading for players entering grades 4 through 12.
June 25, 2005: Sandusky hosts the 25th anniversary of the Second Mile Celebrity Golf Classic at a course on the Penn State campus.
July 10-13, 2005: Sandusky holds more camps at Albright College in Reading.
June 26-29, 2005: Sandusky holds football camps at the Erie campus for players entering grades 4-12.
Summer 2005 until 2009: Relationship with Victim 9, age 13 to 15-16
Aug. 9, 2005: Sandusky, whose son works in the Eagles' front office, watches the team's morning workout from inside the crowd-control fence at Lehigh University.
Oct. 15, 2005: Sandusky speaks at a tailgate party fundraiser in Lake Harmony for Penn State fans watching the team's road game against Michigan.
Nov. 21, 2005: Sandusky visits a York area Walmart to accept a $15,000 donation to the Second Mile.
Jan. 11, 2006: Sandusky pokes fun at Paterno during an appearance at South Western High School's Sports Night, saying the coach would remain on the sidelines, "a lot longer than I'm alive." Sandusky tells the audience, "I don't feel like I'm retired at all. I goof around a lot with The Second Mile kids, playing basketball or racquetball with them."
Feb. 22, 2006: The Manheim Township Community Life Task Force hosts "An Evening with Jerry Sandusky." Sandusky gives a presentation titled, "What Can One Moment Do?" aimed at parents, youth leaders, coaches and teachers.
March 29, 2006: Sandusky delivers the keynote address at the Central York School District's Sports Night. An official with the district praises Sandusky, saying, "There is no finer fundraiser than Jerry."
April 2006: Sandusky speaks at a scholarship breakfast prior to the annual Penn State spring scrimmage at Beaver Stadium.
May 2006: Sandusky regales guests at an event benefiting the Greater York-Adams Scholarship Fund with stories from his coaching days.
June 14, 2006: Sandusky plays in the Pitt vs. Penn State Golf Challenge at the Chestnut Ridge Golf Resort in Blairsville, an event that raises more than $100,000 for the Second Mile and the National Youth Sports Program.
June 22, 2006: Sandusky attends the annual Second Mile golf event.
July 9-12, 2006: Sandusky holds another football camp at Penn State's Erie campus.
2006-2007: The boy identified in the grand jury report as Victim 1 tells the grand jury Sandusky laid down on top of him, face-to-face and rolled around on the floor of an empty gymnasium at Central Mountain High School. A wrestling coach walks into the room, according to the report. Sandusky jumps up and explains he and the boy had been wrestling. Miller says later he found the situation odd.
Sept. 2, 2006: Penn State honors 20th anniversary of 1986 national championship team at halftime of the Sept. 2 season opener against Akron.
Sept. 7, 2006: Sandusky is listed among the 114 voters in the Harris Poll, which helps determine the BCS standings and the national champion.
2006-2007: Defensive coordinator Tom Bradley shares a residence with McQueary.
March 23, 2007: Sandusky and former Penn State players are honored at "A Salute to Linebacker U," a fundraiser connected with the Second Mile's Celebration of Excellence program.
April 1-4, 2007: Sandusky addresses 48 teams of high school students attending the Sovereign Bank Second Mile Leadership Institute.
May 19, 2007: Despite his supposed ban, Sandusky delivers the commencement address at the Penn State College of Health and Human Development on the school's University Park campus.
May 26, 2007: Sandusky joins former Penn State linebacker Greg Buttle as an instructor at a linebacker clinic at Muhlenberg College in Allentown.
June 2007 Vixtim 1 The contact started with back-cracking exercises and escalated around June of 2007 to stomach-blowing, kissing and sex acts.

June 12, 2007: Sandusky attends Foster Family Day at Hersheypark.
June 22-23, 2007: Sandusky hosts the annual Second Mile golf tournament.
June 27-30, 2007: Sandusky holds more youth football camps at a Penn State campus near Harrisburg.
July 9-18, 2007: Sandusky conducts more camps at the Penn State campus in Erie and at Albright College in Reading.
July 21, 2007: Sandusky speaks to the American Family Coalition of Pennsylvania at the Sheraton Harrisburg Hershey Hotel.
Fall 2007: During track season, Sandusky invites Victim 1 to stay at his home near State College. Sandusky takes him to professional sporting events, such as Philadelphia Eagles games and pre-season practices at Penn State. Victim 1 sleeps in a finished basement when he stays at Sandusky's home.
Oct. 5, 2007: The Weller Health Education Center honors Sandusky with its Outstanding Friend to Kids Award.
Nov. 14, 2007: Sandusky visits the Bald Eagle Area school district near State College to promote a math education program.
Dec. 3, 2007: Paterno is inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame and jokes about his endgame scenario for his career: "Drop dead at the end of the game after you kick the winning field goal. They carry you off the field, and everyone's singing, "So long, Joe!'"
Dec. 29, 2007: Penn State returns to the Alamo Bowl for the first time since Sandusky's last game. It is Paterno's 500th game as head coach and again the Nittany Lions emerge victorious.
Spring 2008: Victim 1, now a high school freshman, ends contact with Sandusky.
Jan. 2008 - July 2009: Sandusky calls Victim 1's home 61 times from his home phone and 57 times from his cell phone, according to an investigator with the state attorney general's office.

HMSHood
06-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Possibly. It seems like the federal investigation is starting.

I think the appropriate text is here:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2423

Just like the case with B. K. from 1998, Sandusky could be facing more charges.

That gets interesting. I am guessing once the state trial is over, federal cases are next.

Reader
06-05-2012, 05:30 PM
http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CD9V71U101%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=1011&page=2

........Eight jurors were selected Tuesday, including a longtime Penn State football season ticketholder..........

When Sandusky's lawyer sought to have her removed for cause, Judge John Cleland signaled he would need more grounds.

"We're in Centre County. We're in rural Pennsylvania," Cleland said, noting that such connections "can't be avoided."

Sandusky attorney Joe Amendola opted not to use one of his eight challenges, and she joined the panel.

Others selected included a 24-year-old man with plans to attend an auto technician school and a mother of two who works in retail.
-------

Prospective jurors also learned that Paterno's wife and son were among the potential defense witnesses. Members of Sandusky's family also were on a list shown to the prospective jurors, along with assistant coach Mike McQueary and his father.
------

Among those who were struck from the pool were a nurse who said people make up stories all the time — prosecutors used a challenge for her — as well as a man who had volunteered for the charity Sandusky founded, The Second Mile. Also struck were a mother of 10 who said she has made up her mind and a Penn State fan and township manager who said news coverage of the case has been destructive to her community.

J. J. in Phila
06-05-2012, 05:49 PM
http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CD9V71U101%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=1011&page=2

........Eight jurors were selected Tuesday, including a longtime Penn State football season ticketholder..........

When Sandusky's lawyer sought to have her removed for cause, Judge John Cleland signaled he would need more grounds.

"We're in Centre County. We're in rural Pennsylvania," Cleland said, noting that such connections "can't be avoided."

Sandusky attorney Joe Amendola opted not to use one of his eight challenges, and she joined the panel.

Central Pennsylvania Gothic.

:)

J. J. in Phila
06-05-2012, 06:24 PM
9 of 14 (with alternates) jurors seated.

Reader
06-05-2012, 06:31 PM
Central Pennsylvania Gothic.

:)

I thought Amendola wanted a local jury, lol, but I'm thinking he's just sly and thinks these 'home folks' will help JS when they are probably the ones who will turn on him.

Also, did not want to copy StellarsJay's latest great timeline, but just to comment that the long list of JS's hostings, appearances, fundraisings and speeches while he is grooming and abusing these children is sickening to me. And Amendola tried to say he was shy and not a good speaker is why he did so badly at his TV interview. IMO the man can speak very well until he has to lie in public about his 'attraction' to children.

J. J. in Phila
06-05-2012, 06:38 PM
I thought Amendola wanted a local jury, lol, but I'm thinking he's just sly and thinks these 'home folks' will help JS when they are probably the ones who will turn on him.

Amendola did, and he threw away an appellant issue in doing so. He did as well by appealing to SCCP to delay. It is hugely unlikely they will say that their own decision was wrong.

Okay, Amendola is a good lawyer, but I don't understand what he's doing.

I will add my commendation to StellarsJay's timeline.

Blondie in Spokane
06-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Jerry Sandusky Allegedly Wrote 'Creepy' Love Letters to Victim

http://abcnews.go.com/US/jerry-sanduskys-love-letters-alleged-victim-revealed/story?id=16501341

Concerned Papa
06-05-2012, 06:42 PM

Also, did not want to copy StellarsJay's latest great timeline, but just to comment that the long list of JS's hostings, appearances, fundraisings and speeches while he is grooming and abusing these children is sickening to me. And Amendola tried to say he was shy and not a good speaker is why he did so badly at his TV interview. IMO the man can speak very well until he has to lie in public about his 'attraction' to children.

Wow...It won't matter where the jury is from if this is true:

Intimate love letters allegedly written from Sandusky to the accuser, known as Victim 4, will be read into testimony after the trial begins on Monday, sources close to the case told ABC News.

The letters, which were allegedly written in Sandusky's own handwriting, are expected to corroborate the testimony of the man known as Victim 4, now 28 years old, who met the coach through Sandusky's charity, the Second Mile. The victim's attorney won't talk about the letter, but sources describe the letters as "creepy" and note that one was written in the third person includes a lewd title and is a love story between a boy and a man.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/jerry-sanduskys-love-letters-alleged-victim-revealed/story?id=16501341#.T86KOcWmGHg

J. J. in Phila
06-05-2012, 06:56 PM

http://abcnews.go.com/US/jerry-sanduskys-love-letters-alleged-victim-revealed/story?id=16501341

The only way this could get worse is if Sandusky video taped himself raping a young boy.

PHB
06-05-2012, 07:47 PM
I haven't commented here before, mostly because I have nothing to add. But I just wanted to say, OMG, they have freaking LOVE LETTERS? If I were Jerry Sandusky, I would seriously be considering suicide right now.

Reader
06-05-2012, 08:02 PM
I haven't commented here before, mostly because I have nothing to add. But I just wanted to say, OMG, they have freaking LOVE LETTERS? If I were Jerry Sandusky, I would seriously be considering suicide right now.

And also knowing the feds are after him now. This is one reason a lot of us thought he should not get bond..I don't think he is too stable right now....I'm thinking mostly about his family, especially the grandchildren....

Reader
06-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Amendola did, and he threw away an appellant issue in doing so. He did as well by appealing to SCCP to delay. It is hugely unlikely they will say that their own decision was wrong.

Okay, Amendola is a good lawyer, but I don't understand what he's doing.

I will add my commendation to StellarsJay's timeline.

Several have said another mistake was to waive the preliminary hearing. Although he has the evidence from the state, he has no idea how strong or weak these witnesses for the state will be.

Now that we know about the letters to Victim 4, there might be letters to the other victims too.

To go to those lengths, JS had to feel he was very protected....

pinktoes
06-05-2012, 08:38 PM
If anybody can confirm this with other (reliable) new sources, I'd love for you to post it. Or, if you contact the reporter and get a response.

daily beast reporting what reads to me that gricar got a grand jury indictment on JS for that 1998 PSU shower episode (might be a good guess on the reporter's part, but I'd like to know)

"The whispers about Jerry Sandusky have ricocheted around Centre County, Pa., since at least 1998, when allegations of child sexual abuse first surfaced.

The district attorney at the time, Ray Gricar, took the case of the popular Penn State assistant football coach to a grand jury, and the resulting indictment accused Sandusky of sexually touching a young boy while they were both naked...."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/features/2012/06/jerry-sandusky-on-trial.html

J. J. in Phila
06-05-2012, 09:14 PM
If anybody can confirm this with other (reliable) new sources, I'd love for you to post it. Or, if you contact the reporter and get a response.

daily beast reporting what reads to me that gricar got a grand jury indictment on JS for that 1998 PSU shower episode (might be a good guess on the reporter's part, but I'd like to know)

"The whispers about Jerry Sandusky have ricocheted around Centre County, Pa., since at least 1998, when allegations of child sexual abuse first surfaced.

The district attorney at the time, Ray Gricar, took the case of the popular Penn State assistant football coach to a grand jury, and the resulting indictment accused Sandusky of sexually touching a young boy while they were both naked...."

Well, if RFG got an indictment, those would be the charges. Sandusky was indicted in regard to the 1998 incident.

From what has been previously reported, there was no other grand jury. I've actually been hoping against hope that RFG tried in 1998.

wfgodot
06-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Thanks to you all who have kept this thread going during the lengthy time when little news was being reported.

When I started the original thread early last November, I knew this would be an important one, but had little if any idea of the many directions to which this subject would lead.

J. J. in Phila
06-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Several have said another mistake was to waive the preliminary hearing. Although he has the evidence from the state, he has no idea how strong or weak these witnesses for the state will be.

Definitely.

Pensfan
06-05-2012, 09:17 PM

According to that article he wrote one creepy love letter in third person. He’s not schizophrenic or autistic, so this only leaves the choice of self-aggrandizing narcissist. Caesar referred to himself in the third person too.

J. J. in Phila
06-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks to you all who have kept this thread going during the lengthy time when little news was being reported.

When I started the original thread early last November, I knew this would be an important one, but had little if any idea of the many directions to which this subject would lead.

My life has been absolute hell since you started this thread. :)

J. J. in Phila
06-05-2012, 09:27 PM

The trustees claim that Baldwin said there were three other grand juries that investigated Sandusky. The AG's Office, that should really know, said there wasn't: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/01/19/3058390/psu-trustees-sandusky-investigated.html

The actually issued a complete denial a day or two later. http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/01/pa-ag-denies-penn-state-board-of-trustees-claim-on-sex-scandal/

wfgodot
06-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Always eager to borrow others' time, lol.

pinktoes
06-05-2012, 09:29 PM
JJ: funny! mine too, but not because I'm a famous blogger hounded by the public.

I've been reading earlier that there's a fair amount of pedophile "love stories", available at porn sites that pedophiles frequent. I'm thinking one might download one, and change the names to make a personalized gift for someone. (caution: if you google it, don't visit those sites; i understand they're so virus-infected that your computer will never recover).

Most wives in Dottie's place would be at home rummaging for the old love letters her DH wrote her. So she could have one in her purse at court, and compare what he wrote to others. If this woman is innocent herself, we can hope she'll go ape and rat him out. Not expecting that personally.

Just girding myself for the total awfulness and brutality the alleged victims will face, once again, only this time while seeking justice. And a stop to what has alledgedly been an absolute rampage by that man.

pinktoes
06-05-2012, 09:34 PM
JJ: that's AG Linda Kelly, appointed by Corbett who issued that denial? Maybe there's "no record" of it, like there was no record of something else earlier on.

Thanks, and excuse how deeply my skepticism goes. Somebody/somebodies pretty darn high up hushed this up for years. I believe Sandusky counted on that, and other people did too. Raykovitz for one.

Pensfan
06-05-2012, 09:35 PM
If Sandusky is found guilty in this court and again in a federal court, can he be sentenced to serve nonconsecutive sentences? TIA

Reader
06-05-2012, 09:35 PM

LOL...you've held up well, J. J.!

J. J. in Phila
06-05-2012, 09:51 PM
JJ: that's AG Linda Kelly, appointed by Corbett who issued that denial? Maybe there's "no record" of it, like there was no record of something else earlier on.

Kelly is apolitical, in her mid-60's and probably too old to run for a major office in the future. If RFG used a grand jury, it would have been appointed in Centre County and there would be a record at the DA's Office or the Court.

Corbett was not with the AG's Office in 1998, and I wouldn't want to think who could have "hushed up" something in the Centre County DA's Office.

J. J. in Phila
06-05-2012, 10:06 PM
LOL...you've held up well, J. J.!

Seriously. I'm the guy who went to Penn State, thought highly of RFG's record as DA (and still think it's a good record otherwise), saw no evidence of any questionable decision prior to 2011.

I was writing about a missing person's case, maybe walkaway, maybe murder, of a respected public official with a sterling record, in an idyllic town with respected institutions. Now it is this disgusting Sandusky case, truly Central Pennsylvania Gothic.

And somebody called me "gleeful." :what:

J. J. in Phila
06-05-2012, 10:16 PM
If Sandusky is found guilty in this court and again in a federal court, can he be sentenced to serve nonconsecutive sentences? TIA

The sentences on the state charges could technically be non-concurrent.

pinktoes
06-05-2012, 10:24 PM
So, what about an earlier (maybe 1998, as dailybeast claims) grand jury indictment that's under seal? You know those 10 pgs missing from the 1998 PSU campus police report? The 10 we never saw? Could be in there.

This story broke early, due to a "computer glitch". The grand jury presentment that resulted in JS' arrest last year was under seal. Couldn't there be another indictment under seal? (Don't ask me why; I'm just trying to figure out the law).

We need a good PA lawyer. Here's the cite I'm drawing on: see Section 4551(b). Appears to work the same way at the county level or multi-county/statewide level.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/CT/PDF/42/42.PDF

Pensfan
06-05-2012, 10:26 PM
The sentences on the state charges could technically be non-concurrent.
i hope they are non-concurrent, but if they aren't and he is found guilty in a federal court, would a federal sentence be non-concurrent? TIA

Surely, the feds wouldn't let him serve a federal sentence in a state facility if he is already incarcerated. Please forgive my ignorance on this.

J. J. in Phila
06-05-2012, 10:27 PM
So, what about an earlier (maybe 1998, as dailybeast claims) grand jury indictment that's under seal? You know those 10 pgs missing from the 1998 PSU campus police report? The 10 we never saw? Could be in there.

And three district attorneys didn't prosecute it? No way!