PDA

View Full Version : Elizabeth Smart Trial Updates/Brian Mitchell

wordsnmorewords
12-03-2004, 04:58 PM
http://tv.ksl.com/index.php?sid=136682&nid=5

Elizabeth Smart's accused kidnapper will undergo another round of competency evaluations. The judge's decision came after a bizarre morning in court.

Mitchell appeared in court this morning wearing a tan jumpsuit, and had his hands handcuffed behind his back.
As he sat down, he began singing the Christmas hymn, 'O Come, O Come, Emmanuel'. He continued to sing even after the judge asked him to stop -- and then was removed from the courtroom. :doh:

Delay! Delay! Delay! He was already found competent to stand trial once. He knows what he's doing! :loser:

englishleigh
01-01-2005, 09:03 PM
How is it that this nasty man is able to keep all that hair and long beard in jail?? I would think they would make him shave it all off. Gross!!

halycon
01-03-2005, 11:41 PM
Why is it taking so long for this case???

wordsnmorewords
01-05-2005, 01:42 AM
http://radio.ksl.com/index.php?nid=19&sid=142484

In an exclusive interview with KSL Newsradio, Ed Smart says he'd like to see the case to be resolved now. "Why should Elizabeth have to go through it all? I mean, why should she have to go to court and go through everything that's she's already been though. I mean given the circumstances it's not like he didn't do what he did."

lisafremont
01-05-2005, 05:09 PM
This is outrageous of Ed Smart to not only take this stand but to do it publicly without consulting with the DA. What a jerk!

I'm in Marc Klaas who is saying on CC's show today that it's all well and good for Smart to trot Elizabeth out when it suits him but then to do this when it doesn't is really horrendous.

Judicial sabotage.

wordsnmorewords
01-06-2005, 07:14 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_2512169

<snip>The drifter and self-proclaimed prophet accused of kidnapping Elizabeth Smart delayed his competency hearing Thursday when he refused to come to the courthouse.
After he did arrive about 90 minutes late, he was kicked out of the proceedings for singing a Bible verse, "Repent for the kingdom of Heaven's at hand."
The hearing continued without him.<snip>

Candlelight
01-06-2005, 09:42 PM
I believe there was NO kidnapping. I think the Smart parents, at least Ed, and probably his brother Tom, knew where Elizabeth was for nine months.

The fix is in: He wants a plea bargain... not for Liz, who is strong and can testify for herself, but for himself and his little secrets.

Ed Smart is not a nice man, no matter how often he smiles and cries and quotes the book of Joseph Smith.

wordsnmorewords
01-07-2005, 07:39 PM
http://radio.ksl.com/index.php?nid=19&sid=143078

Smart Case Witness
More trouble in the Elizabeth Smart kidnapping case. An expert witness on the prosecution's list is the same man who's being blamed for overturning the conviction of Andrea Yates, the Texas mom accused of drowning her kids.

Sprocket
01-07-2005, 07:42 PM
Ah Ed Smart. What an interesting parent this is.

GatorMom
01-08-2005, 03:23 PM
Ah Ed Smart. What an interesting parent this is.

No kidding. I'm very glad he's not my father.

He's right up there with Rusty Yates.

stlouischili
01-15-2005, 07:35 PM
ITA with you lisa and candlelight. Just word to everything you said. Everyone I know thinks so, too. The Smarts are sure a fishy bunch.

My newsfriends and I predicted from the arrest that this is exactly what would happen: The Smarts will let things settle down, then arrange for nutty Jesus-guy and his wife to cop a plea or somehow get off the hook lightly. This whole case has never passed the smell test.

Do you guys know of anywhere where I can go for discussion/reading for like minds regarding this case? Everything I've found is very geared to the Wholesome Saintly Smart Family viewpoint.

Sprocket
01-15-2005, 11:44 PM
ITA with you lisa and candlelight. Just word to everything you said. Everyone I know thinks so, too. The Smarts are sure a fishy bunch.

My newsfriends and I predicted from the arrest that this is exactly what would happen: The Smarts will let things settle down, then arrange for nutty Jesus-guy and his wife to cop a plea or somehow get off the hook lightly. This whole case has never passed the smell test.

Do you guys know of anywhere where I can go for discussion/reading for like minds regarding this case? Everything I've found is very geared to the Wholesome Saintly Smart Family viewpoint.
Although this case has not been discussed for a while, you will find different opinions here:

http://www.truecrimesolvers.com

You will have to register to read, and there are restrictions on the type of email accounts allowed.

stlouischili
01-16-2005, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the link.

I read on another board that the defense for Brian David Mitchell has subpoenaed Elizabeth's school records and medical records. It is apparent that they are trying to prepare a "Liz ran away" defense. Ed Smart and the DA are on their hind legs trying to prevent this, but I believe that it is too late because a judge had to sign off on a subpoena.

In my opinion Mr. Smart, et. al. are afraid of a trial, perhaps because there are some unpleasant secrets that may come out regarding their Perfect Mormon Family. This seems obvious to me because at the first sign that the defendant may actually present a defense, he was all over the place dry-crying about wanting a plea bargain and was pretty quick about screeching about the records, too.

tezi
01-21-2005, 02:34 AM
I agree there is something just not right with Ed Smart. I don't understand why he is purposefully tanking the case against Mitchell unless there is a lot more to the story than we know.

I have always had a hinky feeling about Ed Smart. Some things just never added up for me.

Seeker
01-21-2005, 01:33 PM
Maybe he doesn't want his daughter put on trial and have to recount what Mitchell did to her. If she were my child I'd do my best to protect her from that as well. It's bad enough that she had to go through this all to begin with, does anyone think it's necessary to make her relive it all again?

stlouischili
01-22-2005, 11:47 PM
Normally I would understand a father not wanting his daughter to relive her kidnapping experience in court.

However, since Mr. Ed didn't mind broadcasting her ordeal in a TV movie (in which Elizabeth herself is rumored to have been disappointed that she wasn't asked to play herself) and a book, I think that argument falls flat on its face.

I know that sounds harsh, but I just have never bought what the Smarts are selling.

Seeker
01-24-2005, 04:28 PM
That's something people don't understand about Mormons...they tend to try and keep things that involve their family private. Didn't the ES Story that aired just depict the family's reaction and search more so than anything else?

That's what I thought.

kk's mom
02-17-2005, 12:57 PM
http://radio.ksl.com/index.php?nid=19&sid=142484

In an exclusive interview with KSL Newsradio, Ed Smart says he'd like to see the case to be resolved now. "Why should Elizabeth have to go through it all? I mean, why should she have to go to court and go through everything that's she's already been though. I mean given the circumstances it's not like he didn't do what he did."

I don't understand what Ed Smart is trying to do. I haven't read other posts, which I will, so I don't know how anyone else feels. Why one minute would you have you daughter talking to all television news shows, Oprah, etc., work along with producers on the made for tv movie and then say why should Elizabeth have to go through it all (for the trial)? What????????If he wanted to shield his daughter from publicity, he would have shielded her from the spotlights he threw her under during the interviews. After all his daughter has been through, he's going to settle for a plea bargain? Something doesn't settle right with me with this man. I don't know what it is, but's something.

tybee204
02-17-2005, 07:16 PM
Its only my opinion but I think a full blown trial would not only be difficult for Elizabeth but Mitchell's fundamentalist doctrine could be a thorn in the LDS side. The LDS exercises alot of control in what goes on in SLC.

Casshew
02-17-2005, 07:58 PM
I can't see Ed wanting this guy back on the streets anytime soon after what he did to Elizabeth and his family. What kind of plea bargain are we talking about here?

Sprocket
02-17-2005, 09:05 PM
Read Under The Banner Of Heaven, to see how extensively the LDS church controls EVERYTHING they can relating to the press/information about the Mormon church.

mysteriew
02-19-2005, 06:14 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_2576503

For Mitchell, same old song
Judge bounces him; witness details suspect's bumpy life
By Stephen Hunt
The Salt Lake Tribune

Brian David Mitchell's list of courtroom hits continued to grow Thursday as he added the Mormon hymn "High on the Mountain Top" to his repertoire.
Mitchell broke into song for his third court appearance in a row and was promptly removed by bailiffs at Judge Judith Atherton's command.
Afterward, the second day of testimony regarding Mitchell's competency continued, with defense attorneys updating their client during periodic visits in an adjacent holding cell.
Atherton is expected to hear from the state's mental health expert on March 11.
Prosecutors claim Mitchell sings to willfully disrupt the proceedings. But forensic psychologist Stephen Golding, a defense witness, said: "That's the way he thinks. He thinks in terms of hymns."

Skeptic in Texas
03-02-2005, 04:05 PM
This whole story stinks... and has from the very beginning. If Ed is so concerned about Elizabeth being traumatized by a trial then why didn't he talk to the DA about that back in March of 03 when the DA was filing charges? All they had to do was say that they would not let Elizabeth testify and the DA probably wouldn't have even filed the sexual assault charges and no one would have officially known what (alledgedly) happened. But Ed let them go ahead and do it. Now, after numerous interviews, a movie, and a book, all of which had the effect of reminding her of the experience, they're concerned about her well being.

In my opinion, from the moment the Police tried to rescue Elizabeth off the streets, and she resisited them for 45 minutes (she took on three different cops), she has acted like an accomplice rather than a victim.

Ed doesn't want her on the stand because he fears that she will break under cross examination and tell the real story.

Casshew
03-02-2005, 04:09 PM
Ed doesn't want her on the stand because he fears that she will break under cross examination and tell the real story.
I do not agree with this statement, but welcome to WS anyway :)

Sudzi
03-07-2005, 09:01 AM
This whole story stinks... and has from the very beginning. If Ed is so concerned about Elizabeth being traumatized by a trial then why didn't he talk to the DA about that back in March of 03 when the DA was filing charges? All they had to do was say that they would not let Elizabeth testify and the DA probably wouldn't have even filed the sexual assault charges and no one would have officially known what (alledgedly) happened. But Ed let them go ahead and do it. Now, after numerous interviews, a movie, and a book, all of which had the effect of reminding her of the experience, they're concerned about her well being.
Telling a stroy in interviews, movies, and books is different than sitting before a court room at a trial. I can fully understand why Ed wants to keep Elizabeth out of the courtroom.
It's much more traumatic to open yourself to whatever questions are asked than it is to sit for an interview, or advise on a movie where you can stop and walk out if the questions go someplace you don't want to go.

Newswolf
03-11-2005, 03:27 PM
http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGBPBJPS66E.html

The man charged with kidnapping teenager Elizabeth Smart was kicked out of his mental competency trial Friday after he began singing a religious hymn, the fourth time he has been removed from hearings for singing.
As Brian David Mitchell was led away, he shouted, "He mocks and scorns the son of God. ... You know I speak the truth. You know I speak the truth."
The hearing then resumed with defense expert Stephen Golding testifying that Mitchell has become increasingly more mentally disturbed and unfit for trial...

nicbok
03-28-2005, 06:56 PM
This whole story stinks... and has from the very beginning....
In my opinion, from the moment the Police tried to rescue Elizabeth off the streets, and she resisited them for 45 minutes (she took on three different cops), she has acted like an accomplice rather than a victim.

It's fairly classic Stockholm Syndrome, and there have been several similar cases where the victim has become so used to behaving a certain way to save her own life that she can't just break away from that in an instant.

nicbok
03-28-2005, 07:02 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

nicbok
03-28-2005, 07:24 PM
This is also a good link, well wriiten articles, and explains how the Stockholm Symndrome often interplays with a man & woman abduction team. I think this is exactly what happened to Elizabeth Smart. http://www.francesfarmersrevenge.com/stuff/serialkillers/hybristophilia.htm

The case is quite similar to Cameron and Janice Hooker. It was a VERY famous case at the time and it wouldn't surprise me if Elizabeth's was a somewhat copycat crime. Note that they took Elizabeth to California - which is where the Hookers held Colleen Stan

stlouischili
03-31-2005, 01:37 PM
I think Elizabeth Smart was deprogrammed awfully quickly for someone who had Stockholm Syndrome. It is my understanding that people who have truly suffered from this have taken months of therapy to recover. If I recall correctly, Elizabeth, according to her father, was back to her old self, playing the harp and modeling new clothes for her family within hours of her return.

Casshew
03-31-2005, 02:17 PM
Children are really resilient with minds like sponges, perhaps adult stockholm syndrome is much more complicated to 'deprogramme'?

Bhodirasta
04-11-2005, 02:05 PM
I would like to bump this up. I have never really really followed the case before (websleuths style) but I would like to try and figure some of this out. I don't beleive she had stockholm syndrome. I beleive that Elizabeth was taught to listen to Mormon authority figures without question. She was taught this from the time she could walk. Mitchell had a "knack" as some will say for enrapting his "followers". He would preach on the sidewalks in Salt Lake. His old girlfriend even said that there was "something about him" that made her just sit there and listen, and she said that if she was as young as Elizabeth was, she doesn't think she would have ever left...

I think she was brainwashed, but not only by Mitchell, but by her family as well.

CaliKid
04-12-2005, 01:55 AM
This whole situation is just sad. Elizabeth seems like a nice girl, and as a parent I can see not wanting to have her life put on trial. But I also don't think Mitchell and Barzee should get off on a deal.

Bhodirasta
04-14-2005, 12:58 AM
I just heard my favourite program on radio. THIS AMERICAN LIFE on NPR.
As I have said, I didn't follow this case WS style..

On of the acts on the Life (there are usually 4) featured Salt Lake city Mormons. One of the family members that was so close to Elizabeth, as well as the gal that saw her at the party, and told her that she looked "familliar". (she was in her white veil). It was VERY INTERESTING that all of these people actually KNEW that this man Mitchell had "taken on" another wife. They turned their heads. The family that grew up just a block from Elizabeth (a boy, now seventeen that went to school with her) saw Mitchell with his new wife, and didn't say anything. The gal who saw her at the party, KNEW that this was his new wife, and actually said "I didn't think anything of it" My favourite part of the story was this...

Mitchell was no boogy man. The boogy man hides under your bed and jumps out and attacks you- he is mean and he is a MONSTER. Mitchell was no "monster". And somehow he figured out how to trick an entire town because when people see something they don't like, or feel pity for, they simply turn thier heads. Mitchell knew this, and he held power over the entire land with this knowledge.......................

The trail will not go through, because of embarassment- the actual FACT that these people KNEW he had taken on a plural wife, a plural wife so young that it would constitute pedophilia- but yet, the town turned its head.

Wasn't it 1973???

sharon25
05-23-2005, 03:08 AM
The second competency hearing for accused Elizabeth Smart kidnapper Brian David Mitchell is scheduled to resume Tuesday.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,600135849,00.html

sharon25
05-23-2005, 03:12 AM
I just heard my favourite program on radio. THIS AMERICAN LIFE on NPR.
As I have said, I didn't follow this case WS style..

On of the acts on the Life (there are usually 4) featured Salt Lake city Mormons. One of the family members that was so close to Elizabeth, as well as the gal that saw her at the party, and told her that she looked "familliar". (she was in her white veil). It was VERY INTERESTING that all of these people actually KNEW that this man Mitchell had "taken on" another wife. They turned their heads. The family that grew up just a block from Elizabeth (a boy, now seventeen that went to school with her) saw Mitchell with his new wife, and didn't say anything. The gal who saw her at the party, KNEW that this was his new wife, and actually said "I didn't think anything of it" My favourite part of the story was this...

Mitchell was no boogy man. The boogy man hides under your bed and jumps out and attacks you- he is mean and he is a MONSTER. Mitchell was no "monster". And somehow he figured out how to trick an entire town because when people see something they don't like, or feel pity for, they simply turn thier heads. Mitchell knew this, and he held power over the entire land with this knowledge.......................

The trail will not go through, because of embarassment- the actual FACT that these people KNEW he had taken on a plural wife, a plural wife so young that it would constitute pedophilia- but yet, the town turned its head.

Wasn't it 1973???

I am currently dealing with this mentality.
When people have an idea that something horrible
or wrong is going on, but instead of questioning it,
they turn and look the other way.
my posts are in the Jury room under Need Advice I believe.

indigomood
05-23-2005, 03:44 PM
I think Elizabeth Smart was deprogrammed awfully quickly for someone who had Stockholm Syndrome. It is my understanding that people who have truly suffered from this have taken months of therapy to recover. If I recall correctly, Elizabeth, according to her father, was back to her old self, playing the harp and modeling new clothes for her family within hours of her return.
Yes, so they say. I take that statement with a grain of salt. Perhaps wishful thinking on her family's part but I wouldn't be surprised if in reality, it was quite the contrary given the facts as we know them to be. I can't imagine the horror and fear that Elizabeth had to endure.

mysteriew
05-24-2005, 04:09 PM
http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,600136325,00.html

Brian David Mitchell was in his defense chair only seconds before shouting Biblical admonitions to the court: "Awaken, arise Israel. Come forth, Babylon. Repent, repent for the kingdom."
Mitchell's loud voice could be heard from down the hall after he was taken away — his fifth consecutive removal from the competency proceedings. The hearing resumed Tuesday after a two-month break.
Prosecution expert Noel Gardner, who testified in March that Mitchell was competent to stand trial, resumed his testimony. In spite of Mitchell's repeated interruptions, Judge Judith Atherton has allowed the hearings to continue without him.
Gardner testified that Mitchell's conduct Tuesday was "outrageous and bizarre" but not evident of a mental disease.
"I think his (religious) ideas are extraordinarily irrational but just because you're irrational doesn't mean you have a mental disease. All of us hold irrational ideas," Gardner said.
Of the outbursts, defense mental health expert Stephen Golding has said Mitchell vowed to do everything possible to disrupt the trial and has said he will not allow Elizabeth — who he contends is his wife — to be questioned on the witness stand.
Golding didn't diagnose Mitchell as schizophrenic but also had not ruled it out, he earlier testified.

Why don't they do like they are doing in some other trials in some other states. Leave Mitchell at the jail and give him a live video feed to observe the courtroom. Then he can disrupt all he likes and no one (other than the guards) will notice.

mysteriew
05-26-2005, 07:06 PM
Mental health experts on Wednesday attacked each other's diagnoses of accused Elizabeth Smart kidnapper Brian David Mitchell - each finding fault with the other's methods.
Meanwhile, fans of Mitchell's courtroom antics were not disappointed.
The 51-year-old homeless street preacher shouted religious rebukes - as he did on Tuesday - and sang as he was escorted out of the courtroom.
"Awake, arise, oh virgin daughter of Zion!" Mitchell yelled. "Come forward unto the marriage. Suffereth the lamb! Repent! Repent!"
Mitchell's competency hearing began in February, resumed in March and will not conclude until at least July 7 - when the experts, attorneys and 3rd District Judge Judith Atherton have again agreed to meet

http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_2761364

Bhodirasta
05-27-2005, 01:11 PM
Mental health experts on Wednesday attacked each other's diagnoses of accused Elizabeth Smart kidnapper Brian David Mitchell - each finding fault with the other's methods.
Meanwhile, fans of Mitchell's courtroom antics were not disappointed.
The 51-year-old homeless street preacher shouted religious rebukes - as he did on Tuesday - and sang as he was escorted out of the courtroom.
"Awake, arise, oh virgin daughter of Zion!" Mitchell yelled. "Come forward unto the marriage. Suffereth the lamb! Repent! Repent!" Mitchell's competency hearing began in February, resumed in March and will not conclude until at least July 7 - when the experts, attorneys and 3rd District Judge Judith Atherton have again agreed to meet

http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_2761364

Hmmm.
I wonder who he was talking about???
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

mysteriew
07-19-2005, 06:21 PM
Mary Katherine's three-month old interview with ABC News will appear Thursday night on ''Primetime Live.''

''It's a piece they're doing on little heroes,'' said Ed Smart, Mary Katherine's father.

The show will feature stories about five children who took heroic measures in horrible situations, he said.
http://www.casperstartribune.net/apdata/wire_detail.php?wire_num=235990

wordsnmorewords
07-20-2005, 08:02 PM
Mary Katherine's three-month old interview with ABC News will appear Thursday night on ''Primetime Live.''

''It's a piece they're doing on little heroes,'' said Ed Smart, Mary Katherine's father.

The show will feature stories about five children who took heroic measures in horrible situations, he said.
http://www.casperstartribune.net/apdata/wire_detail.php?wire_num=235990
Just started a separate thread mysteriew so that people wouldn't miss the interview, since it is tomorrow and also, so that we could discuss what she says. Hope that's okay with you...:innocent:

tennessee
07-26-2005, 05:04 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/07/26/smart.suspect/index.html

"The man accused of kidnapping teenager Elizabeth Smart from her home in Salt Lake City, Utah, three years ago has been found incompetent to stand trial.
In a decision handed down Tuesday, District Judge Judith Atherton ordered Brian David Mitchell confined for mental treatment until he reaches competency.

Last September, Mitchell pleaded not guilty to kidnapping and five other felony counts, including aggravated burglary and aggravated sexual assault."

Moab
07-26-2005, 07:17 PM
Elizabeth's father, Ed Smart, said he was resigned to the judge's decision and satisfied that Mitchell will stay locked up indefinitely.

Smart characterized his one-time handyman as calculating, saying ``I don't think there's any question he knows what's going on'' and ``he's already chosen to be the way he's been.''

``My satisfaction will be seeing him behind bars, not back out on the street to hurt anyone again,'' Smart said. ``If he wants to be the way he is so be it, and let him waste away in a mental hospital.''
http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_207161553.html (http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_207161553.html)

Kidnapping Suspect Ruled Incompetent

The man charged in the kidnapping of Utah teenager Elizabeth Smart is mentally incapable of standing trial, a judge determined Tuesday.

The decision by 3rd District Judge Judith Atherton will send Brian David Mitchell to a state hospital until he's deemed able to withstand the rigors of trial.

http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_207161553.html (http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_207161553.html)

LinasK
02-08-2010, 07:51 PM
February 8, 2010 4:44 p.m. EST(CNN) -- A woman convicted in the 2002 kidnapping of Utah teenager Elizabeth Smart pleaded guilty in the attempted kidnapping of Smart's cousin a month later, court officials said Monday.
In exchange for Wanda Barzee's plea of guilty but mentally ill to one count of conspiracy to commit aggravated kidnapping, prosecutors dropped state charges against her in Smart's abduction, said Nancy Volmer, spokeswoman for Utah state courts.
Barzee, 64, pleaded guilty in November to federal charges of kidnapping and unlawful transportation of a minor in connection with Smart's abduction. As part of that plea agreement, she agreed to cooperate with the state and federal cases against her husband, Brian David Mitchell, federal prosecutors have said.
Barzee (http://topics.cnn.com/topics/Wanda_Barzee) and Mitchell were accused of abducting Smart, then 14, at knifepoint from her bedroom in her family's Salt Lake City home in June 2002. Smart was found nine months later, walking down a street in the Salt Lake City suburb of Sandy, Utah, in the company of Barzee and Mitchell, a drifter and self-described prophet who calls himself Emmanuel and had done some handyman work at the Smarts' home.
The month after Smart (http://topics.cnn.com/topics/Elizabeth_Smart) was kidnapped, prosecutors alleged, Barzee and Mitchell attempted to break into the home of her cousin, but were unsuccessful. The girl was 15 years old at the time, according to CNN affiliate KSL (http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9613309). She is not named in court documents.
"Mr. Mitchell's attempt was thwarted when the minor child awakened, which caused Mr. Mitchell to flee," the court documents said.
Following her arrest in 2003, Barzee told authorities that she and Mitchell went to the home in order to abduct the girl, and planned to hold her, along with Smart, in the couple's camp in the mountains, according to court documents. more at link: http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/02/08/elizabeth.smart.plea/

Vegas Bride
05-21-2010, 01:19 PM
Breaking news on abc4
Wanda has been sentenced to 15 years behind bars!
Since she has already been locked up for 7 that makes 8 more years she will serve.
Will post link when available,

VB

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top%20stories/story/Barzee-sentenced-to-15-years-for-Elizabeth-Smart/yfvGSSBYZUmVwtQIupx3Fg.cspx

kai
05-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Breaking news on abc4
Wanda has been sentenced to 15 years behind bars!
Since she has already been locked up for 7 that makes 8 more years she will serve.
Will post link when available,

VB

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top%20stories/story/Barzee-sentenced-to-15-years-for-Elizabeth-Smart/yfvGSSBYZUmVwtQIupx3Fg.cspx

Not even CLOSE to being long enough IMO.
:furious:

Vegas Bride
05-21-2010, 09:29 PM
http://www.abc4.com/content/news/state/story/Ed-Smart-says-Elizabeth-not-satisfied-with-Barzee/BQMYkHX0rUewQ_U-R4jIWQ.cspx

New article, quoting Ed Smart saying Elizabeth is not satisfied with the sentence of Barzee.

VB

kbl8201
05-26-2010, 09:11 PM
I believe there was NO kidnapping. I think the Smart parents, at least Ed, and probably his brother Tom, knew where Elizabeth was for nine months.

The fix is in: He wants a plea bargain... not for Liz, who is strong and can testify for herself, but for himself and his little secrets.

Ed Smart is not a nice man, no matter how often he smiles and cries and quotes the book of Joseph Smith.

i can see why your banned

kbl8201
05-26-2010, 09:15 PM

seriously? so shes an accessory to her own kidnapping?

this is the most bizarre conspiricy theory thread i've ever read in my life.

kbl8201
05-26-2010, 09:19 PM
i seriously cant believe what im reading in the back pages here.

ed smart had to convince the police that his daughter was even still alive cause they gave her up for dead and laid the guilt at the door of a dead guy who had nothing to do with this. his younger daughter witnessed the kidnapping......i guess she's part of the scam too? and elizabeth as an accessory? she was kidnapped out of her house at knife point, threatned, raped, terrorized, most likely had her families lives threatned if she talked or escaped.

seriously is this cause there mormons?

Texas Mist
10-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Elizabeth Smart Judge: Brian David Mitchell Can Get Fair Trial in Utah Kidnap Case

SALT LAKE CITY (CBS/AP) Brian David Mitchell, the man who allegedly kidnapped 14-year-old Elizabeth Smart from her Salt Lake City bedroom in 2002 and held her until she was found alive roughly nine months later, can get a fair trial in Utah despite the news coverage of the case, a federal judge ruled Friday.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20020639-504083.html

and FWIW, I just got a tweet that said that Brian David Mitchell attorneys are asking for his trial to be halted, pending appeal to 10th US Circuit court...guess we'll here more about this later today

Texas Mist
10-28-2010, 04:46 PM
BREAKING NEWS: Appeals court won't stop Brian David Mitchell's trial

SALT LAKE CITY — A federal appeals court has denied a request by lawyers for Elizabeth Smart's accused kidnapper to halt his trial and possibly move it outside of Utah.

In a ruling handed down Thursday afternoon and obtained by Fox 13, the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Denver denied the motion to stay the trial and transfer it to another venue. Brian David Mitchell's attorneys contend that he cannot get a fair trial in Utah because of the massive publicity surrounding the 2002 abduction of Elizabeth Samrt.

"Without expressing any opinion on the merits of Mr. Mitchell's argument, we not that it is possible that a jury could be seated where all of the jurors would satisfy Mr. Mitchell's view of impartiality," the judges wrote in their decision. "Accordingly, the petition is denied. The motion for stay is denied as moot."

more here

http://www.fox13now.com/news/local/kstu-brian-mitchell-trial-ruling,0,1437693.story

watcher9
10-31-2010, 05:12 PM
I just saw this. Finally! (maybe)

Trial Begins 8 Years After Smart Kidnapping
JENNIFER DOBNER, Associated Press

Posted: 12:30 pm EDT October 31, 2010Updated: 12:31 pm EDT October 31, 2010
SALT LAKE CITY -- Eight years after he's accused of slicing through a kitchen window screen with a knife and whisking away a young girl in the middle of the night, the man charged in the abduction of Elizabeth Smart is headed to trial in federal court.

Jury selection in the trial of Brian David Mitchell is scheduled to begin Monday in Salt Lake City's U.S. District Court.

More at site -

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/25583974/detail.html

Jacaranda
11-01-2010, 05:39 AM
Finally!

Elizabeth Smart and the 'prophet': kidnap case that gripped a nation goes to trial:

Eight years after he was accused of slicing through a kitchen window screen with a knife and whisking away a young girl in the middle of the night, the man charged in the abduction of Elizabeth Smart is headed to trial in a US federal court.

Mitchell's federal public defenders maintain that he is ill and unable to participate in his own defence. In court papers, lawyers have said they will mount an insanity defence, claiming Mitchell was so impaired at the time of the alleged crime that he can't be held legally responsible.

As evidence, the defence is expected to rely on testimony from mental health experts who have evaluated Mitchell and will most likely point to a 27-page manifesto drafted by Mitchell - "The Book of Immanuel David Isaiah" - as evidence of his delusions.

State authorities dropped Barzee's pending case related to Ms Smart's kidnapping in favour of her guilty plea in a companion case involving the attempted abduction of one of Smart's cousins.

As part of a deal with prosecutors, Barzee agreed to co-operate with prosecutors. She is listed among the 24 people lawyers plan to call to testify on Mitchell's behalf.

AP

http://www.smh.com.au/world/elizabeth-smart-and-the-prophet-kidnap-case-that-gripped-a-nation-goes-to-trial-20101101-179sz.html

strawberry
11-01-2010, 08:22 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/10/31/utah.elizabeth.smart.trial/index.html?hpt=T2

CNN) -- More than eight years after a Utah teenager disappeared from her bedroom on a summer night, the man authorities believe masterminded her kidnapping is set to stand trial in federal court.

Brian David Mitchell, 57, is accused of snatching then-14-year-old Elizabeth Smart at knifepoint from her family's Salt Lake City home on June 5, 2002 -- a crime that shocked the nation and the city, which was then basking in the glow of the 2002 Olympic Winter Games a few months earlier.

Texas Mist
11-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Defense seeks delay of Smart kidnapping trial

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A federal judge has denied a request for a delay of the trial for the man charged in the 2002 abduction of Elizabeth Smart.

Defense attorneys for Brian David Mitchell on Wednesday asked U.S. District Court Judge Dale Kimball to stop the trial.

Defense attorneys say the jury selection process proves that Mitchell can't get a fair trial. Nearly everyone questioned could detail facts about the case -- from Smart's abduction in 2002 to her discovery on a suburban Salt Lake City street with Mitchell in 2003.

Kimball denied the request, saying he's confident the a fair jury can be empaneled.

Defense attorneys say they'll now ask the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals to delay the trial.

more here

http://www.fox13now.com/news/local/kstu-defense-seeks-delay-elizabeth-smart-kidnapping-trial,0,6601010.story

Texas Mist
11-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Jury pool filled in Elizabeth Smart kidnap case

Initial jury selection wrapped up Wednesday in Brian David Mitchell’s trial in the kidnapping of Elizabeth Smart, and soon after the defense restated its belief that an unbiased jury was not to be found in Utah.

U.S. District Judge Dale A. Kimball again denied the defense motion to move the trial out of the state.

By noon, 10 more jurors had been retained, bringing the total to 32. The prosecution and defense will select 12 and two alternates to hear the case against Mitchell.

Another 13 prospective jurors were sworn in Tuesday morning and saw Mitchell again removed after he continued singing in the courtroom.

At the end of Tuesday’s selections, Kimball pressed the lawyers to question potential jurors faster, saying it should take no more than five minutes on average instead of the 18 minutes it had been averaging.

The opening statements and first witnesses are expected to be heard Thursday.

much more here

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50598000-76/juror-steele-mitchell-think.html.csp

Brassband
11-04-2010, 03:32 PM
"A three-judge panel of the 10th Circuit of the U.S. Court of Appeals ordered the trial interrupted in response to federal defense attorneys representing Brian David Mitchell, the itinerant street preacher accused of abducting Smart from her Salt Lake City bedroom in 2002 and holding her captive for nine months."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2010/11/04/131073253/trial-in-smart-abduction-case-is-delayed-by-concerns-about-jury

Texas Mist
11-05-2010, 03:45 AM
Prosecutors respond to Mitchell's latest appeal

SALT LAKE CITY — Federal prosecutors filed a response to the U.S. 10th Circuit Court of Appeals late Thursday saying that Brian David Mitchell's last-minute appeal to have his kidnapping trial stayed is "moot," as a jury has already been empaneled. However, defense attorneys, who filed even later, say the appeal is still valid.

According to court documents filed by prosecutors, the jury that was seated Thursday morning does not include any of the jurors who Mitchell alleged in a previous petition showed actual bias. Apparently, the defense had singled out six of the original 32 potential jurors who had made it through questioning earlier this week.
Those six jurors were never seated, so prosecutors believe there is no reason to not continue the trial, which began after the jury was empaneled Thursday morning.

Citing similar precedent, found in a 1982 case, the prosecution's response stated that, "In general a case becomes moot when the issues presented are no longer live or the parties lack a legally cognizable interest in the outcome."

more here

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700078889/Prosecutors-respond-to-Mitchells-latest-appeal.html

MCDRAW
11-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Does anyone know if you can follow this case on twitter?

Texas Mist
11-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Change of trial venue denied for Brian David Mitchell, accused of kidnapping Elizabeth Smart

SALT LAKE CITY — The 10th Circuit Court of Appeals in Denver has denied a petition by attorneys for Brian David Mitchell, accused of kidnapping Elizabeth Smart, to move the trial out of Utah and lifted the stay on his trial.

Mitchell's trial will resume in federal court in Salt Lake City on Monday at 8:30 a.m. with the defense giving their opening arguments.

In their ruling handed down late Friday morning, the 10th Circuit reminded attorneys, as they did with the defense team's first petition for a change of venue filed last week, that a writ of mandamus is a "drastic remedy and is to be invoked only in extraordinary circumstances."

"We conclude Mr. Mitchell has failed to establish his entitlement to the extraordinary remedy of a writ of mandamus," the court wrote in its decision.

more here

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700078962/Change-of-trial-venue-denied-for-Brian-David-Mitchell-accused-of-kidnapping-Elizabeth-Smart.html

@McDraw - I can't find where anyone is tweeting the trial w/ live updates...I would think if it was allowed that a SLC reporter would be there.

I'll post if I find it.

Cher352
11-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Change of trial venue denied....good, now get on with it!

Texas Mist
11-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Elizabeth Smart kidnapping trial resumes

SALT LAKE CITY — UPDATE at 10:13 a.m.: The screen had been cut in a U shape, Smart testified.

"My heart sank and I yelled out to Ed, 'Call 911, she's gone!'" Smart said.

more of trial blog here

http://www.fox13now.com/news/local/kstu-elizabeth-smart-trial-resumes-utah,0,5267562.story

and Ben Winslow of Fox13 is tweeting updates, but it's just been a summary - not like minute-by-minute 'live'...and twitter is reeeeally wonky today (technical issues) so it's hit or miss on a lotta tweets

you can follow him - @BenWinslow

Texas Mist
11-08-2010, 12:51 PM
follow @DNewsCrimeTeam (Deseret News)- they seem to be tweeting live

here's an updated 3-pg story from Deseret News on trial this a.m.

Defense paints 'disturbing' picture of dysfunctional Mitchell family as trial resumes

SALT LAKE CITY — An attorney for Brian David Mitchell said the defense has "virtually no disagreement as to what happened" with Elizabeth Smart, but said the defense has a "general disagreement about why it happened."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700079592/Defense-paints-disturbing-picture-of-dysfunctional-Mitchell-family-as-trial-resumes.html?s_cid=rss-32

Texas Mist
11-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Just wanted to add that when reading from the link above, it's less confusing if you start from the last page...that was the beginning.

IOW, the newest updates seems to be on page one, so it gets confusing to read the trial testimony backwards.

I hope that makes sense.

Texas Mist
11-08-2010, 04:32 PM
fox13now has trial info too -- and it's updated the same way -most recent on top -so it reads better if ya start from the end...reading Elizabeth's testimony in chronological order is chilling....what a brave little girl she was!

http://www.fox13now.com/news/local/kstu-elizabeth-smart-trial-resumes-utah,0,5267562.story?page=4&track=rss

Betty P
11-09-2010, 10:36 AM
I read the trial transcript last night, its so difficult to get through. I felt badly for her and her parents, having to listen to the details of her torture and abuse. What a nightmare! This guy ruined ES, ruined her life. He should be locked up forever. It was also sad to read her sister's testimony about sleeping on her parent's bedroom floor with a nighlight for months afterward, begging her father to get up during the night to check on her to make sure she was still there.

ES is an amazing young woman to have survived this ordeal and moved on with her life. Her parents have done a wonderful job raising her and helping her recover. They've done a fantastic job of taking care of their children with love, security and unconditional support while trying to help others. They're incredibly strong and good people. I can't say enough good things about ES and her family.

Desertwind
11-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Elizabeth's testimony ordeal is finally over; what a brave young woman! It is so obvious that this man is playing a game of insanity. I hope that his estranged wife is as brave as Elizabeth and tells the world about what a con man and manipulator he is.
This case is what originally brought me to this board, looking for updates. I had moved from SLC, and was supposed to send my two girls back to visit. One of my daughters is the same age as Elizabeth. I refused to let them go, due to the kidnapping. There is NO WAY this girl went of her own free will, or was anything other than a helpless child victim.

Texas Mist
11-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Elizabeth Smart cross-examined by defense

By Elizabeth Neff, Aaron Falk, Stephen Hunt And Sheena Mcfarland
The Salt Lake Tribune
Published Nov 10, 2010 10:48AM
Updated 32 Minutes Ago

Wednesday marked the third straight day of testimony given by Elizabeth Smart at the trial of her alleged kidnapper, Brian David Mitchell, and the first day the 23-year-old faced cross-examination from the defense.

But defense attorney Robert Steele’s cross-examination of Smart was brief, just 40 minutes. It was also was polite and fairly non-confrontational, with Steele mostly seeking to clarify statements Smart made during direct testimony.

more here

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50647531-76/smart-mitchell-church-defense.html.csp

ETA: link to evidence photos

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50648892-76/smart-elizabeth-sltrib-testimony.html.csp

gitana1
11-10-2010, 06:20 PM
I feel so, so sorry for this girl. Poor baby. I cannot imagine how being exposed to such vile things at such a tender age affects a person. She seems very strong, though and resilient. I think the fact that she has such a loving and strong family around her as well as a lot of community support has helped her to recover. I suspect, though, that something like this could turn a person off any desire for a romantic relationship. her first experience with sex was repeated rape and molestation when she was still a little girl. It is so evil, what happened to her. I just hope she knows that it is their shame and thus it should be their burden to carry - not hers.
I kind of wish I never knew what exactly had happened to her. My stomach is sick reading about it. But thanks to her, these creeps will be locked up for a long, long time, where they cannot hurt another child. Elizabeth Smart is a hero!

Gozgals
11-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Poor Elizabeth, now that the details are coming out, I realize how much this child went through.

I am so proud of what a beautiful woman she grew up to be. It is amazing after all she had to endure. Much love and respect for her.

Blessings to Elizabeth and family.

May justice be served...

Goz

LadyL
11-10-2010, 06:39 PM
can't believe she's had to wait 8 long years for justice

LadyL
11-10-2010, 07:07 PM
does anyone have a link to the actual transcripts or maybe they're not up yet?

gitana1
11-10-2010, 07:38 PM
does anyone have a link to the actual transcripts or maybe they're not up yet?

Here's the first day: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50632966-76/smart-viti-yes-defendant.html.csp

Here's the second day: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50639245-76/elizabeth-mitchell-smart-viti.html.csp

Here's today's testimony: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50647494-76/elizabeth-mitchell-smart-viti.html.csp

The last link also has easy links to the first two days of testimony.

Brassband
11-11-2010, 02:24 AM
I hope that his estranged wife is as brave as Elizabeth and tells the world about what a con man and manipulator he is.

The estranged wife, Wanda Barzee, took a plea deal. She has to testify truthfully or the deal is off. She’s already looking at 15 years in federal prison, and I believe State charges are still pending. She is just as sadistic as her husband. Her biological children call her a monster.
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/wanda-barzees-children-oprah-monster/story?id=9731355
I only have feelings of disgust for this pair. Eight years is a long time for Elizabeth to get justice, but these defendants are the reason it has taken so long. They both are playing the mental illness game. Barzee was twice deemed incompetent to stand trial and rejected voluntary medication because of her "religious beliefs". It's just a game to these two.
May they both rot in prison.

Gozgals
11-11-2010, 07:10 AM
The estranged wife, Wanda Barzee, took a plea deal. She has to testify truthfully or the deal is off. She’s already looking at 15 years in federal prison, and I believe State charges are still pending. She is just as sadistic as her husband. Her biological children call her a monster.
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/wanda-barzees-children-oprah-monster/story?id=9731355
I only have feelings of disgust for this pair. Eight years is a long time for Elizabeth to get justice, but these defendants are the reason it has taken so long. They both are playing the mental illness game. Barzee was twice deemed incompetent to stand trial and rejected voluntary medication because of her "religious beliefs". It's just a game to these two.
May they both rot in prison.

I agree Brassband. Wanda is just as sadistic as Mitchell. I too have read what her children have said about her. She played the mental illness card to her advantage as did he. It is sad they weren't forced to take meds and this trial didn't start long ago. Imagine having to relive this 8 years later?

I hope justice is served and they both spend the rest of their lives in prison.

At least we can be thankful Elizabeth has come through this whole ordeal as the winner and showed they did not destroy her life. What a champion she is.

Justice may not have come soon but it will.

And, what wackos the two are....:loser:

Goz

DomCasual
11-12-2010, 01:49 PM
It would be interesting to hear some of the wise words of those who were crying conspiracy in the first pages of this thread now, after Elizabeth has testified for three days.

songline
11-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Elizabeth is Beautiful. God bless her and her family.
I pray that more children are found and can have a great success story.
But make no mistake about it, her life was changed forever, she will be stronger,
she will be wiser, but a part of her innocence died on that day.

I hope the SOB's rot in their cell. Maybe they will put an alligator in their cell and save the citizens money.

NoeticSoul
12-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Elizabeth Smart storms out of courtroom at Mitchell trial

(snipped)

"Elizabeth Smart, visibly upset, stormed out of the courtroom Wednesday at the trial of her accused kidnapper. Smart left the courtroom during the testimony of Dr. Paul Whitehead, a forensic psychiatrist at the state mental hospital who treated Brian David Mitchell from 2005 to 2008. Whitehead, who is a witness for the defense, was asked about Mitchell seeking to have children with Smart."

http://www.fox13now.com/news/local/kstu-elizabeth-smart-kidnapping-trial-resumes-medical-delay,0,438265.story

Texas Mist
12-01-2010, 06:35 PM
SALT LAKE CITY — The U.S. District Court for the District of Utah released several documents and other exhibits Wednesday relating to the trial of Brian David Mitchell, who is accused of kidnapping Elizabeth Smart.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700087341/Brian-David-Mitchell-interview-transcripts-other-documents-released-in-Elizabeth-Smart-kidnapping-trial.html

Daisyjane
12-10-2010, 10:50 AM
The case has now been given to the jury.

passionflower
12-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Jury has a verdict!

passionflower
12-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Jury reaches verdict in Elizabeth Smart case, 8 years after she was kidnapped from bedroom - more information to come
twitter

octobermoon
12-10-2010, 01:06 PM
guilty of count 1 count of kidnapping...

yeknomaras
12-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Guilty on counts 1 and 2

octobermoon
12-10-2010, 01:07 PM
guilty on count 2

passionflower
12-10-2010, 01:07 PM
guilty on both!!!

passionflower
12-10-2010, 01:09 PM
no one bought the insane!
I think he is a looney tune but KNOWS RIGHT from WRONG!!!

Happy DAY!!!!!

passionflower
12-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Federal jury convicts former street preacher of kidnapping Elizabeth Smart eight years ago, rejects insanity plea http://bit.ly/hJf6tl

NoeticSoul
12-10-2010, 01:28 PM
Elizabeth Smart kidnapper guilty

(snipped)

" A federal court jury on Friday found Brian David Mitchell guilty in the 2002 abduction of Elizabeth Smart.

The 12-member jury reached their verdict at 10:30 a.m. following five hours of deliberations that began Thursday evening.

Mitchell was convicted of interstate kidnapping and unlawful transportation of a minor to engage in sexual activity for allegedly holding Smart captive for nine months, including near-daily rapes and a trip to California and back. He faces up to life in prison when he is sentenced on May 25, which allows time for a presentencing report to be completed.

Mitchell was present in the courtroom while the verdict was read, singing the LDS hymn “He Died. The Great Redeemer Died.”"

more @ link

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50849318-75/mitchell-smart-jurors-barzee.html.csp

LyndyLoo
12-10-2010, 02:09 PM
Some Live video covering this verdict``

http://www.fox40.com/news/nationworld/sns-kstu-elizabeth-smart-tivid-live,0,3970663.htmlstory

They are live outside the courthouse, awaiting statements from def. attny and whomever else wishes to speak..

songline
12-10-2010, 02:49 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: GOOD VERDICT.

Now let's hope he gets LWOP

tlcya
12-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Thank you thank you thank you Jury! I am so glad they saw through all this "I am obviously sick and wasn't in my right mind" bullcarp.

He is only "not in his right mind" when the cameras are rolling or court is in session.

Crazy my ample backside! Crazy like a fox.

LyndyLoo
12-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Ive been watching HLN ..they are interviewing Jean C. right now, they said that JVM will be interviewing ES's dad soon..

BTW..something I learned today..and that on the STATE level, BM was found NG due to Mental Illness.....Yikes..I am so glad Federally, he was held accountable!! Good job done to get this deviant OFF the streets forever more!! :woohoo:

LyndyLoo
12-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Heads up!! Jurors giving reactions..sure sounds as if they were ALL emotionally affected

http://www.cnn.com/video/flashLive/live.html?stream=stream4

jjenny
12-10-2010, 05:09 PM
Ive been watching HLN ..they are interviewing Jean C. right now, they said that JVM will be interviewing ES's dad soon..

BTW..something I learned today..and that on the STATE level, BM was found NG due to Mental Illness.....Yikes..I am so glad Federally, he was held accountable!! Good job done to get this deviant OFF the streets forever more!! :woohoo:

Isn't this the first time he went on trial? So how could he have been found NG on the state level?

JBean
12-11-2010, 12:28 AM
Isn't this the first time he went on trial? So how could he have been found NG on the state level?
I think lindyloo is referring to the fact that he was found mentally incompetent to stand trial at the state level.

(http://www.thespectrum.com/article/20101210/NEWS01/101210008/Brian-Mitchell-found-guilty)

passionflower
12-11-2010, 01:11 PM
ELIZABETH SMART WANTS TO BE A PROSECUTOR!!!
Her father just announced that Elizabeth's almost has her degree in music.
But plans to go on to be a Prosecuter LAWYER!!!
Let's be so proud of her!
You go girl!!!

Tricia
12-12-2010, 02:11 AM
Although this is not directly to do with the trial in the Smart kidnapping it is directly related to the case itself.

Ed Smart said on the news tonight that Richard Ricci was not forthcoming with the police concerning the investigation into Elizabeth's disappearance. That is an out and out lie. Angela Ricci will be sending out a press release concerning the false arrest of her husband in the Elizabeth Smart case. On a personal level I do not understand why Ed Smart feels the need to keep twisting the knife in Angela's heart.

Ed and Lois have never approached Angela to ask if she is OK or to say they are sorry she lost her husband. Instead Ed Smart likes to toss out these comments that do nothing but hurt Angela. In return Angela has always taken the high road when it comes to the Smarts and she will continue to do so. I just wish Ed Smart would do the same.

To refresh every one's memory Richard Ricci was on probation and had worked for the Smarts a year before Elizabeth disappeared. At the time of her disappearance he was working at a local garden company.

When Elizabeth was kidnapped the police zeroed in on Richard because he was on parole.

Richard Ricci immediately admitted to stealing a few items from the Smarts house and a 100 dollar bill from their neighbors. If I was the Smarts I would not be happy about this at all. It's understandable.

According to Angela he was totally honest which is what got him arrested.

Richard assumed that by being totally honest the police would see he had nothing to do with Elizabeth's kidnapping. In fact Angela said he wasn't worried about what would happen to him just about Elizabeth and her safe return. Being honest he thought would move the investigation off of him and on the right track of the true kidnapper.

This did not happen. Instead police violated his parole, which they had every right to do but let's face it. The ONLY reason they did it is because they decided he was the best suspect for the crime and in turn they put the screws to him in prison. Constant questioning, pressure to "tell the truth" about what he did to Elizabeth and forgetting to give him his blood pressure medicine caused his brain literally explode from the stress of it all. He died.

While he was in prison Mary Katherine told her family that Richard didn't do it. The Smart's knew early on it wasn't Richard.

Yet, Richard sat in prison being accused night and day of a terrible crime he didn't commit.

I didn't know Richard and to be honest he wouldn't be someone I would hang out with. He was a criminal but he paid his debt to society, he was in love and married Angela, she loved him, he had a job, and he was doing his best to stay on the up and up. He slipped, he told the truth, and because of that he died.

Why Ed Smart doesn't seem to have a kind word about Angela or her situation is beyond me.

No matter what Richard Ricci had nothing to do with the kidnapping, he cooperated and that is what eventually lead to his death. I don't understand why the Smarts can't just reach out to Angela and acknowledge her pain. I don't get it.

songline
12-12-2010, 12:04 PM
ELIZABETH SMART WANTS TO BE A PROSECUTOR!!!
Her father just announced that Elizabeth's almost has her degree in music.
But plans to go on to be a Prosecuter LAWYER!!!
Let's be so proud of her!
You go girl!!!
Elizabeth you rock !

suzyq211
12-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Elizabeth you rock !

I'll say!! People that channel horrendous experiences into good have my utmost admiration!!! Hats off to this incredible woman!

songline
12-12-2010, 02:16 PM
I'll say!! People that channel horrendous experiences into good have my utmost admiration!!! Hats off to this incredible woman!
That kind of inspiration is what I love. :)
It makes my heart sing. :)

Daisyjane
12-14-2010, 05:19 PM
I saw a promo on NBC earlier today stating that Elizabeth & her family will be on Dateline this Friday Dec. 17.

ziggy
12-16-2010, 02:11 PM
If the lovely and brave Elizabeth becomes a prosecutor, I would bet she wins every case. My best to her!

William N
12-25-2010, 04:55 PM
I believe Elizabeth Smart is very lucky she was found. I think Mitchell would have eventually killed her.

David In TN

peeples
05-18-2011, 05:09 PM
http://www.fox13now.com/news/local/kstu-elizabeth-smart-defense-smart-not-psychologically-damaged-20110517,0,5031830.story

Lawyers for convicted kidnapper Brian David Mitchell claim Elizabeth Smart is a "survivor" who was not significantly damaged psychologically by her abduction. They make the claim in a new federal court filing, in an effort to persuade a judge to give Mitchell a lighter sentence.

Blue_Dolphin308
05-25-2011, 06:09 PM
(http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/25/man-who-abducted-elizabeth-smart-sentenced-to-life-in-prison/)A homeless street preacher who abducted, raped and kept a 14-year-old Elizabeth Smart captive for nine months was sentenced Wednesday to life in prison.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/25/man-who-abducted-elizabeth-smart-sentenced-to-life-in-prison/