PDA

View Full Version : ***DENIED!*** Our First Case. Let's Keep PedophileDonald Scott Brunstetter in prison!

Tricia
07-05-2012, 10:57 PM
WELCOME TO CITIZENS AGAINST PEDOPHILES EARLY RELEASE or simply, "CAPER."

This is our first case. If we are successful then we will work with other people in other states to get this done.

Now is the time to do something. Please do not let someone else do all the work.

We need to keep convicted pedophile Donald Scott Brunstetter behind bars.

Brunstetter sexually abused his step-daughter between the ages of 8 and 10. He has admitted his crimes.

Websleuths member LisaB is Brunstetter's ex wife and the young girl is her daughter.

He meets with the parole board on July 24th so we don't have much time. He has served a fraction of his original sentence.

LisaB came to Websleuths and asked us to write the Chair of the Maryland Parole Commission demanding Donald Scott Brunstetter serve every bit of his sentence and then be committed to civil confinement in a state facility until he is deemed “cured” and safe to be let out on the streets.

Check out THIS LINK (http://tinyurl.com/NoParole4Pedophile)for a list of great articles about pedophiles and the damage they do to the innocent.

Please write a real letter and use the U.S. Mail to have it delivered.

Address your letters to:

David R. Blumberg, Chair
MARYLAND PAROLE COMMISSION
6776 Reisterstown Road, Suite 307, Baltimore, MD 21215 - 2341
e-mail: dblumberg@dpscs.state.md.us

We can't let LisaB's daughter down. Please take 6 minutes, a piece of paper, an envelope and a stamp and make a difference.

PLEASE READ LISAB'S STORY BELOW:

Please Help Keep Donald Scott Brunstetter Behind Bars
From 2000 (when she was 8) until 2002 (when I divorced him for unrelated reasons), Donald Scott Brunstetter deceived me and betrayed my trust by molesting my daughter on a near-daily basis. Years went by before she told anyone, although her behavior made us know something was wrong. It all spilled out one day in January 2007, and since then we have been fighting an uphill battle trying to keep him off the streets. He pleaded "Not Guilty" to all charges, but after hearing all testimony, he was found guilty of more than half the charges. He was sentenced to 3 consecutive 15 year terms and one concurrent 5 year term. We soon learned that he would not be serving 45 years, as 30 years were suspended.

Predictably, he filed an appeal, but six months after he was convicted, he penned a "confession" which he asked his trial attorney to convey to us by way of the court. It was an additional 8 months before we received it, along with word that he had dropped his appeal.

We have been informed by the Parole Commission that he is now eligible for parole, having served 25% of his sentence. He was sentenced to serve 15 years, and should serve the entirety of this sentence. When I bought my home and took on a fifteen-year mortgage, I knew I would have to make 180 monthly payments before the house was mine. Nobody is patting me on the back for having dutifully made my mortgage payment every month for 25% of the term of my loan, and offering to just "write off" the balance. It is my opinion that Donald Brunstetter should not have his sentence "discounted" either. Good behavior in a prison environment should be simple for a pedophile, as there are no children to victimize.

Donnie's parole hearing is to be held at the Hagerstown Correctional Facility on July 24th, 2012. My daughter and I have indicated to the Parole Commission that we want to be in attendance, and that Lauren would like to make a statement prior to them making a decision as to whether or not to release him.

http://tinyurl.com/NoParole4Pedophile

Child Protective Services Case http://dl.dropbox.com/u/81196574/03%20DHR.pdf
Anne Arundel County Case Archive http://dl.dropbox.com/u/81196574/04%20Case%20Information%20County.htm
Statement of Criminal Charges http://dl.dropbox.com/u/81196574/05%20Criminal%20Charges.pdf
Summonses and Subpoenae http://dl.dropbox.com/u/81196574/06%20Summons%20%26%20Subpoena.pdf
Maryland State Case Archive http://dl.dropbox.com/u/81196574/07%20Case%20Information%20State.htm
Victim Impact Statements http://dl.dropbox.com/u/81196574/08%20Victim%20Impact.pdf
Appeal http://dl.dropbox.com/u/81196574/09%20Appeal.pdf
DHMH RE: Mandatory Reporter http://dl.dropbox.com/u/81196574/10%20Mandated%20Reporter%20-%20DHMH.pdf
Confession http://dl.dropbox.com/u/81196574/11%20Confession.pdf
Post-Conviction Correspondence http://dl.dropbox.com/u/81196574/12%20Post-Conviction.pdf
Parole Board Information http://www.msa.md.gov/msa/mdmanual/22dpscs/html/22agen.html#parole

ORIGINAL RECORDS MAY BE VIEWED AT:
Maryland State Judiciary Case Search:
http://casesearch.courts.state.md.us/inquiry/inquiry-index.jsp
Accept terms by ticking box, then key in defendant name: Donald Brunstetter.

``````````````````````````````````````````````

Tricia
07-06-2012, 05:35 AM
Here is an excellent letter written by a former police agent and a friend of LisaB's.
This letter has excellant information about pedophiles.

````````````````````````````

Richard
07-06-2012, 08:26 AM
Fred Howard Coffey, Jr is a convicted pedophile and child murderer. He is currently residing in Pender Prison, Burgaw, NC. He has admitted to molesting over 100 children and is suspected in the deaths of several children.

Coffey was convicted of murdering 10-year-old Amanda Ray and sentenced twice to death. At his third trial, much evidence was supressed and he got a life sentence. He has been elegible for parole since 1995 and is once again up for parole this month. A hearing is set for 21 July 2012.

See below links for more information about Coffey.

Write to:
Chairman Charles L. Mann Sr.
NC Post Release Supervision & Parole Commission
P.O. Box 29540
Raleigh, NC 27626-0540
RE: Fred Howard Coffey, DOC# 0081135
or send an email to parole@doc.state.nc.us

LINKS:

http://justice4amanda.tripod.com/

Neely Smith, age 5, murdered 1981, NC - Suspect: Fred Howard Coffey Jr. - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

LisaB
07-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Here's another sample letter. This is one that could be used by those who are not directly involved in the case, and may even live in another part of the country (or world) and have never met me, my daughter Lauren, or Mr. Brunstetter. Feel free to use any or all of it in writing your own letter.

Although I am not personally involved in this case, I feel it is EVERYBODY's responsibility to protect our society's children from sexual predators. I am writing in the capacity of a concerned citizen who has recently become aware of the July 24th Parole Hearing for Donald S. Brunstetter, Inmate #352456, who was charged by the State of Maryland for the crimes of parental child abuse, second degree sexual assault, second degree and third degree sexual offenses, and unnatural or perverted practices, and convicted in July 2008, despite his "Not Guilty" pleas, and sentenced to a term of 45 years, the majority of which was suspended.

Since his conviction, he has acknowledged, in his own handwriting, that he did in fact commit the acts of which he was accused. His victim was an eight-year-old girl, who he molested regularly throughout his two-year marriage to her mother.

Those who abuse children can not be counted upon to control their impulses, which is why keeping them incarcerated is the only way to completely segregate them from potential victims, thereby eliminating the threat of future offenses, which are statistically likely to occur if an opportunity presents itself.

Victims of sexual abuse often experience severe emotional trauma upon seeing the offender, even in a public place where he poses no threat to them. Mr. Brunstetter's victim still resides in the area, and is terrified at the possibility that he may be released, fearing she will spend the rest of her life looking over her shoulder, never feeling really safe. As she is still in therapy, it would be in her best interests to keep her molestor behind bars while she continues to develop coping mechanisms and a support network. She has suffered from his actions for 12 years, and the end is nowhere in sight.

Please consider these facts when you review Mr. Brunstetter's case on July 24th, 2012, and DENY HIS REQUST FOR PAROLE.

LisaB
07-06-2012, 09:40 AM
Fred Howard Coffey, Jr is a convicted pedophile and child murderer. He is currently residing in Pender Prison, Burgaw, NC. He has admitted to molesting over 100 children and is suspected in the deaths of several children.
(SBM)
He has been elegible for parole since 1995 and is once again up for parole this month. A hearing is set for 21 July 2012.(SBM)

My letter is already in the mail.

I think we need to start higher up, and get our elected officials to set mandatory minimum sentences for pedophilia, without the possibilty of parole.

JMO

JenniferTx
07-06-2012, 09:46 AM
I am drafting my letter now and will have it in the mail today. I will do everything in my power to help keep these monsters that prey on our children locked up. I'm sure everyone here on WS can get a letter off in the mail to help protect the children in this country. Pedophiles being released back into society IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!

deanna82437
07-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Email sent today, 7/06. Best of luck, Lisa and may you and your daughter, Lauren, receive some peace of mind soon.

Anna1964
07-06-2012, 01:56 PM
Email sent.

deanna82437
07-06-2012, 03:11 PM
An Acknowledgement for my letter. Nice they responded!

Thank you for your letter. We will have it placed in the file for review by the hearing officer/commissioner before the hearing.

David R. Blumberg, Chairman

Maryland Parole Commission

(410) 585-3256

Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 11:31 AM
To: Blumberg, David
Subject: Request for Parole - Donald S. Brunstetter, Inmate #352456

zoomama
07-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Paper letter sent as requested and will be snail mailed today.

LisaB
07-06-2012, 03:57 PM
An Acknowledgement for my letter. Nice they responded!

Thank you for your letter. We will have it placed in the file for review by the hearing officer/commissioner before the hearing.

David R. Blumberg, Chairman

Maryland Parole Commission

(410) 585-3256

Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 11:31 AM
To: Blumberg, David
Subject: Request for Parole - Donald S. Brunstetter, Inmate #352456

I REALLY appreciate you not only taking time to write a letter, but to let me know that they got it, and ARE going to consider these in making a decision.

When we first met Donnie, he misrepresented himself and his financial situation, withheld information about his criminal history, and neglected to mention a series of Motor Vehicle violations (DUI, driving on suspended license, etc.). Furthermore, he failed to disclose an 18-month stay in a mental health facility as a teenager after being expelled from two boarding schools, one of which positions itself as "offering remediation for boys not achieving their potential". None of this information was available to us at that time.

We are TERRIFIED of seeing him, and it isn't made any better by the fact that we have to go and do this in the prison, 3 hours from home. Prisons freak me out, but we have to do this. He has been in "protective custody" since arriving at the facility, so the stereotypical treatment of convicted child sex offenders by the other inmates (trying to be delicate) is not an issue here.

My daughter apparently was not aware of this until I mentioned it last night. She has been "gloating" for the last 4 years figuring that what goes around comes around. She was DEVASTATED upon learning the truth. Personally, I would not wish that on ANYONE, however I think 45 years incarceration would have been a step in the right direction. Unfortunately, that is no longer an option, but 15 years (11 to go) is.

I'd be interested in seeing what people have written, and would love it if you would either post your letters here, or PM me.

Azcrabcakes
07-06-2012, 06:09 PM
I sent emails to both email addys posted by LisaB.

Do you think emails are as effective as a written letter/snail mail? I will be happy to write a letter and snail mail it if you think it is best.

What about a Change.org petition? They have been highly effective in other arenas.

renogirl
07-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Email sent today, 7/06. Best of luck, Lisa and may you and your daughter, Lauren, receive some peace of mind soon.

Just sent mine too! Good luck Lisa. You and your daughter will be my thoughts and prayers.

LisaB
07-06-2012, 09:28 PM
I am so grateful for your assistance.

Lauren just falls apart at the idea of seeing him "out on the street somewhere" unexpectedly. We BOTH have had times when we THOUGHT we saw him in a crowd and we froze with fear until our rational minds assured us he was still in prison. If he gets out, we will lose the ability to rationalize it away so quickly.

I really don't think Lauren is strong enough to handle that yet, and I fear she would do something to herself that can't be undone if he is paroled this month. His attorneys tore her apart on the stand.

Once he was found guilty, he was allowed to go home for a month until his sentencing hearing. He was a convicted, yet unregistered CSO (they are registered upon release) and they sent him out into the community. Those days were deducted from his sentence as well. It hurt us both to hear his mother speaking at his sentencing hearing. She said her son was a "good man" and that we "used to be so nice" that she couldn't understand why would "make something like this up".

6 months into his sentence, he wrote a confession and sent it to the judge. It was written out as opposed to being typed, so there's no question he wrote it. He could have saved us all a lot of pain by confessing BEFORE the trial. His attorneys postponed the trial again and again, probably hoping we'd tire of the 2 hour drive and stop showing up.

We fully intend to make the 6 hour round trip ANY and EVERY time he comes up for parole. He "killed" the person she was, and made her someone else. She looks the same, but she isn't. The daughter I have now is not the girl she would have been if he'd never come into our lives. I love her and I always will, but she has used self-injury as a coping mechanism, and it scares me to death.

When she revealed the abuse and I found she had been cutting herself, the first thing I did when my alarm clock went off every single day was to go and be sure she had lived through another night. That may sound melodramatic, but it is absolutely true. I was SURE she was going to fall apart under the pressure and I would lose her forever. She is getting better, but still has a long way to go.

LisaB
07-06-2012, 09:34 PM
All of the relevant documents can be found at the link in the opening post of this thread, or by clicking the link in my sig. I want you to be sure that you are on the "right side" and that he is actually guilty of the crimes he was charged with, and that I am not an ex telling lies about him to get even. He had been out of our lives for several years before finding out what he'd done. Our goal is that no other family should ever have to deal with this.

LisaB
07-06-2012, 09:42 PM
One last thing. PLEASE do not attempt to "sleuth" him online, except at the provided links (which contain a LOT more information). He has a number of children, and if I am not mistaken, at least 2 share his name. His late father was ALSO Donald Brunstetter,

He is NOT on Facebook and he is 48 years old. The other "Donald Brunstetters" you may find are likely related to him, but are not him. Let's respect their privacy.

LaLaw2000
07-06-2012, 11:03 PM
I am writing my letters via email and asking them to take a moment to print it out and place it in his folder for the Parole Board. They will usually do that if you ask.

I am writing letter(s) in regard to Coffey as well as Brunstetter.

Lisa B., may God bless and keep you and your daughter. I am so glad she has someone such as yourself as a Mother. Hopefully he will remain in prison where he belongs.

Richard, hopefully the Parole Board will do the right thing and keep Coffey in prison. You are a great guy for doing this!

Keeping my fingers crossed and saying prayers!

Richard
07-07-2012, 12:13 AM
It is interesting that both Brunstetter in Maryland, and Coffey in North Carolina are up for parole within days of eachother.

In regard to Mr. Coffey, I am only asking that folks take a look at information available on him and to take the time to write something - even if only a few lines in an e-mail.

In writing to the Parole Board, voice your own conscience and belief regarding whether or not he should be released from prison.

LaLaw2000
07-07-2012, 12:36 AM
Well, I don't think Coffey deserves to live in the free world and am against parole for him. He cannot be rehabilitated in my opinion and will offend again. Another child will become an undeserving victim at the hands of this B&(*&(^ if he is allowed on the streets.

Yes, it is interesting that they are both up for parole within days of each other.

I seriously doubt Coffey will be going anywhere after all he's done. I will be very interested in the outcome of his hearing.

MOO

Frigga
07-07-2012, 12:41 AM
Lisa B my sister's letter and my own will be snail mailed tomorrow. God bless you and Lauren and keep you both safe during this difficult time. I am all for going higher and changing sentencing laws (my sister too) and we are here in any capacity to help with that endeavor, you can always PM me. I will let you know if I hear anything back.

Thank you to everyone else here for writing letters too- we can make a difference.

Richard, we will email the parole board in regards to the monster named Coffee, he should NEVER see the outside of a prison in his lifetime- let him answer to God next. Thank you for bringing his case to our attention- God speed in your mission as well~ Frigga

deanna82437
07-07-2012, 04:08 PM

Write to:
P.O. Box 29540
Raleigh, NC 27626-0540

LINKS:

Neely Smith, age 5, murdered 1981, NC - Suspect: Fred Howard Coffey Jr. - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community (http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16875)

Respectfully snipped .. Two emails sent to the above address requesting NO PAROLE for the above referenced inmate.

Hopefully he will be refused again. Thank you for your perseverance, Richard.

Eileen730
07-07-2012, 05:45 PM
I sent mine also!
We need to continue doing this!
Wishing only good things for you and your daughter Lisa!

Eileen730
07-07-2012, 05:46 PM
How can they even consider Parole?
I mean Hello!!!!! Wake up ppl!

Richard
07-07-2012, 07:23 PM
How can they even consider Parole?
I mean Hello!!!!! Wake up ppl!

Excellent question. Here is how it came about that Coffey has come to be up for Parole:

Fred Coffey was arrested in 1986 in Charlotte, NC. Prosecutors wanted to charge him with the 1979 murder of little Amanda Ray (age 10). They also had evidence that he had molested three children earlier in 1986.

It was decided for some reason to hold two separate trials, the first being for the multiple molestations. Coffey was seen by different Psychiatrists prior to the trial and he attempted to get lenient treatment by claiming to have a "problem". He admitted to the court appointed psychiatrist that he had molested "over 100" children over the years.

In his first trial, Coffey was found guilty of three separate charges in regard to molestation of each of the three children - a total of nine counts. He was sentenced to a specific number of years for each of those nine charges.

With the first trial over, Coffey remained in jail prior to, and throughout the next trial. He was charged with the murder of Amanda Ray, and convicted in 1987. He was sentenced to Death.

On appeal, Coffey was granted a second trial in the murder of Amanda Ray, and again he was found guilty. Again he was sentenced to Death.

Coffey and his lawyers appealed again and this time, they claimed that because the prosecution had introduced all the evidence regarding his molestation convictions and his admissions to having molested others, that this "prejudiced" the jurors against him.

The Defense claimed that the molestations had taken place AFTER Amanda's murder. Using their convoluted logic, Coffey MIGHT have only become a molester in 1986, and that his molesting of children in 1986 would not necessarily indicate that he would KILL someone in 1979. Therefor, they asked for a retrial, this time NOT allowing the jurors to hear of any convictions or evidence regarding child molestation.

A Third trial was held for Coffey with a new jury. Once again, he was found guilty of killing Amanda. But in the sentencing phase, previous convictions for - and admissions of child molestation were left out.

Ten out of the twelve jurors voted for the Death sentence, but two jurors held out, believing that the murder of Amanda was a "one time" step over the line for Coffey. The sentence became "Life in Prison" in 1995, and because he had been in Prison for 19 years at that time, he became automatically elligible for Parole - by North Carolina law.

And since then, Coffey has periodically come up for parole - at first, every year, but since 2009 it has been every three years.

Coffey has been a model prisoner with no offenses committed since his 1986 arrest. Law enforcement and prosecutors in Charlotte have attempted to charge him with the 1981 murder of five-year-old Neely Smith, but no trial has ever taken place. Prosecutors in Bristol, Virginia have attempted to charge Coffey with the murder of eight-year-old Travis Shane King, but again no trial has been held.

SmoothOperator
07-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Lisa,
Thank you for allowing us to help in seeing this predator STAY WHERE HE BELONGS thus allowing Lauren the time to continue to heal and become stronger from the inside out by doing the very hard and painstaking process that working through this involves.. making sure to relieve herself of any and all shame, guilt, and self blame that this predator has sentenced her to.. that is only a portion of what makes this so blood boiling infuriating.. that he has placed a hold on your beautiful young daughter.. and has in a way very much "sentenced" her to a lifetime of having to deal with, learn to cope, and continually work at overcoming the lifelong negative effects that she, by absolutely no fault of her own has had heaped upon her by him..

And to think for a moment that he has the opportunity to be released early from his sentence?!?....well what about Lauren's "sentence" who isn't only guilty of NOTHING, she is a complete INNOCENT who has been "sentenced" to lifelong effects!. WHERE THE HELL IS LAUREN'S EARLY RELEASE? WHERE THE HELL IS REPRIEVE OFFFRED TO LAUREN FOR WHAT SHE HAS BEEN SENTENCED TO BY DONALD'S EVIL CHOICES?

I know I'm not alone in my continual disgust of how our system seems to very much work for the criminals far more than it does for their victims.. their rights are always being made certain to never in any way whatsoever be "violated"..when the victims and survivors of their heinous crimes are pretty much on their own with their entire lives and souls having been "violated" in the truest sense of the word violated..no reprieve offered to them.. no lighter sentence...no end period to what the predator has forever left as their mark on those who've survived the evil criminal behaviors, actions, abuses of those just like Donald Brunstetter..

I could go on and on as many are keenly aware that I'm known to do:blushing:..but I'll cut myself off here and get started on my letters that will hopefully help to ensure that atleast as far as this predator..this pedophilic criminal, Donald Brunstetter is concerned.. that we'll ensure he is given no reprieve nor lighter sentence awarded to him.. hopefully with all of us banded together we can make a difference in seeing him atleast spend his full sentence behind bars!
I do have a question of concern of how exactly he is even being able to be eligible for parole? In what little I've been able to read in the last hour I see according to Maryland's laws and statutes that his being found GUILTY of second degree sexual offense that it carries a MANDATORY MINIMUM OF 15 YEARS! MANDATORY MINIMUM is exactly what it says it is.. it is MANDATORY that he serve the minimum 15 year sentence and therefore NOT ELIGIBLE FOR PAROLE OR EARLY RELEASE.. So exactly how is Brunstetter even being made eligible to be up for a parole hearing when only having served what a mere 25% of his MANDATORY MINIMUM SENTENCE OF 15 YEARS?! ?

I did a little digging to make sure that it is indeed correct that this is a mandatory minimum in Maryland and everything I've found states that second degree sexual offense(statute code 27. 464A) carries the mandatory minimum 15 year sentence.. so, how is this even being considered? ..

Here's a snipped quote from Maryland statutes and laws:

Sexual offense second degree-[27. 464A statute code]
Prohibited.- A person may not engage in a sexual act with another:

(1) by force, or the threat of force, without the consent of the other;

(2) if the victim is a mentally defective individual, a mentally incapacitated individual, or a physically helpless individual, and the person performing the sexual act knows or reasonably should know that the victim is a mentally defective individual, a mentally incapacitated individual, or a physically helpless individual; or

(3) if the victim is under the age of 14 years, and the person performing the sexual act is at least 4 years older than the victim.

(b) Age considerations.- A person 18 years of age or older may not violate subsection (a)(1) or (2) of this section involving a child under the age of 13 years.

(c) Penalty.-

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person who violates this section is guilty of the felony of sexual offense in the second degree and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 20 years.

(2) (i) Subject to subparagraph (iv) of this paragraph, a person 18 years of age or older who violates subsection (b) of this section is guilty of the felony of sexual offense in the second degree and on conviction is subject to imprisonment for not less than 15 years and not exceeding life.

(ii) A court may not suspend any part of the mandatory minimum sentence of 15 years.

(iii) The person is not eligible for parole during the mandatory minimum sentence.

(iv) If the State fails to comply with subsection (d) of this section, the mandatory minimum shall not apply.

(d) Required notice.- If the State intends to seek a sentence of imprisonment for not less than 15 years under subsection (c)(2) of this section, the State shall notify the person in writing of the State's intention at least 30 days before trial.

[An. Code 1957, art. 27, § 464A; 2002, ch. 26, § 2; 2006 Sp. Sess., ch. 4; 2007, chs. 494, 495; 2010, chs. 174, 175, 180, 181.]
Above BBM for emphasis on this being a 15 year mandatory minimum with his being NOT ELIGIBLE for parole or early release of any kind.. wth?

Just whenever you have time Lisa to reply because I'm quite certain that youll inform me that his attys have found a loophole to get him out of this supposed MANDATORY MINIMUM 15 YEAR SENTENCE.. :devil:

Tugela
07-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Lisa,
Thank you for allowing us to help in seeing this predator STAY WHERE HE BELONGS thus allowing Lauren the time to continue to heal and become stronger from the inside out by doing the very hard and painstaking process that working through this involves.. making sure to relieve herself of any and all shame, guilt, and self blame that this predator has sentenced her to.. that is only a portion of what makes this so blood boiling infuriating.. that he has placed a hold on your beautiful young daughter.. and has in a way very much "sentenced" her to a lifetime of having to deal with, learn to cope, and continually work at overcoming the lifelong negative effects that she, by absolutely no fault of her own has had heaped upon her by him..

And to think for a moment that he has the opportunity to be released early from his sentence?!?....well what about Lauren's "sentence" who isn't only guilty of NOTHING, she is a complete INNOCENT who has been "sentenced" to lifelong effects!. WHERE THE HELL IS LAUREN'S EARLY RELEASE? WHERE THE HELL IS REPRIEVE OFFFRED TO LAUREN FOR WHAT SHE HAS BEEN SENTENCED TO BY DONALD'S EVIL CHOICES?

I know I'm not alone in my continual disgust of how our system seems to very much work for the criminals far more than it does for their victims.. their rights are always being made certain to never in any way whatsoever be "violated"..when the victims and survivors of their heinous crimes are pretty much on their own with their entire lives and souls having been "violated" in the truest sense of the word violated..no reprieve offered to them.. no lighter sentence...no end period to what the predator has forever left as their mark on those who've survived the evil criminal behaviors, actions, abuses of those just like Donald Brunstetter..

I could go on and on as many are keenly aware that I'm known to do:blushing:..but I'll cut myself off here and get started on my letters that will hopefully help to ensure that atleast as far as this predator..this pedophilic criminal, Donald Brunstetter is concerned.. that we'll ensure he is given no reprieve nor lighter sentence awarded to him.. hopefully with all of us banded together we can make a difference in seeing him atleast spend his full sentence behind bars!
I do have a question of concern of how exactly he is even being able to be eligible for parole? In what little I've been able to read in the last hour I see according to Maryland's laws and statutes that his being found GUILTY of second degree sexual offense that it carries a MANDATORY MINIMUM OF 15 YEARS! MANDATORY MINIMUM is exactly what it says it is.. it is MANDATORY that he serve the minimum 15 year sentence and therefore NOT ELIGIBLE FOR PAROLE OR EARLY RELEASE.. So exactly how is Brunstetter even being made eligible to be up for a parole hearing when only having served what a mere 25% of his MANDATORY MINIMUM SENTENCE OF 15 YEARS?! ?

I did a little digging to make sure that it is indeed correct that this is a mandatory minimum in Maryland and everything I've found states that second degree sexual offense(statute code 27. 464A) carries the mandatory minimum 15 year sentence.. so, how is this even being considered? ..

Above BBM for emphasis on this being a 15 year mandatory minimum with his being NOT ELIGIBLE for parole or early release of any kind.. wth?

Just whenever you have time Lisa to reply because I'm quite certain that youll inform me that his attys have found a loophole to get him out of this supposed MANDATORY MINIMUM 15 YEAR SENTENCE.. :devil:

The answer to your question would be section d: required notice.

If they didn't give the required notice, then the mandatory minimum doesn't apply. I imagine the reason would be that the offence allegedly took place many years earlier, the accused denied it plus there was no evidence other than the victims allegations. Unfortunately it is not uncommon for allegations like these to surface during or after contentious divorces, and that tends to cloud the water considerably. The prosecution could not be sure of a conviction. Allthough juries will usually convict on an allegation alone if an accused is charged, sometimes they don't and there is allways the possibility the allegation is false for various reasons. I imagine that if they were to give notice that they intended to ask for the mandatory minimum, the standard of proof that would be required would be higher. Presumably that proof wasn't there, and the prosecution had to rely on emotional arguments rather than factual arguments to win their case. Therefore they didn't serve notice as required by law.

When it comes to parole the primary consideration will the risk of reoffence. If the applicant has a clean record while in prison, has entered into programs while in prison, and doesn't have a record before the conviction, then there is no real reason to deny parole. Possibly he won't get it on the first attempt but sooner or later he will. Parole will likely continue for the remainder of his sentence, so it sounds like he will be monitored for many years to come if he is granted parole. If this guy doesn't present a special risk (after all, he apparently went crime free for the five years after the divorce until the allegation was made, and I assume wasn't pursueing the victim during that time) then why should he be kept in prison for life?

CJMAJORGIRL24
07-07-2012, 11:43 PM
Lisa-

Email sent. You are in my thoughts and prayers!

Queenofwands
07-08-2012, 12:44 PM
Lisa,
I just wanted to let you know I just sent off my email requesting denying of parole of Donald Scott Brunstetter.

My prayers are with you and Lauren. :grouphug:

Queenofwands
07-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Letter sent for Amanda Marie Ray and all the victims of Fred Coffee. :grouphug:

SmoothOperator
07-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Both email and good ol snail mail have been sent re:Brunstetter.. looking forward to hearing there was a firm denial in his hearing attempting to have approval for early release/parole.. how about our system follow through with the guidelines of sentencing those convicted of a crime which carries a MANDATORY MINIMUM sentence.. otherwise really what is even the point of having sentencing guidelines that were established to keep those convicted FOR THE ENTIRETY OF THEIR SENTENCE?? ..moo the MANDATORY MINIMUM in theory would be quite a deterrent in knowing that they could not be released so much as even a single day early from their full sentence.. but it certainly appears as tho the MANDATORY MINIMUM IS NOT MANDATORY AT ALL.. Arrrgghh!

Dr. Know?
07-08-2012, 07:44 PM
I just sent emails LisaB and Richard. This is a good thing & glad this thread was started. Keep them locked up!

Dr. Know?
07-08-2012, 08:43 PM
And I've alread rec'd a reply re: Donald S. Brunstetter. LisaB, I'm so sorry your daughter had to experience this.

"Thank you for your letter. It will be in file for review by hearing officer and commissioner."

LisaB
07-09-2012, 06:48 AM
Lisa,

Thank you. Everything you said here really hits home.The problem is that Donnie was charged in 2007 according to the current statutes. His attorneys must have been aware of the mandatory minimum (I wasn't) and they demanded that he be tried and sentenced according to the laws in place at the time of the "alleged" assaults, which changed everything. The judge had to convert all the charges to that the equivalent 2002 statutes most nearly equivalent to the 2007 statutes. I presume the mandatory minimum, like civil confinement are new. Fortunately, I believe the civil confinement is an older law (2005?) that just hasn't been used. It IS on the books, and people need to be aware of it and have it applied to people like him.

LisaB
07-09-2012, 06:57 AM
The answer to your question would be section d: required notice.

If they didn't give the required notice, then the mandatory minimum doesn't apply. I imagine the reason would be that the offence allegedly took place many years earlier, the accused denied it plus there was no evidence other than the victims allegations. Unfortunately it is not uncommon for allegations like these to surface during or after contentious divorces, and that tends to cloud the water considerably. The prosecution could not be sure of a conviction. Allthough juries will usually convict on an allegation alone if an accused is charged, sometimes they don't and there is allways the possibility the allegation is false for various reasons. I imagine that if they were to give notice that they intended to ask for the mandatory minimum, the standard of proof that would be required would be higher. Presumably that proof wasn't there, and the prosecution had to rely on emotional arguments rather than factual arguments to win their case. Therefore they didn't serve notice as required by law.

When it comes to parole the primary consideration will the risk of reoffence. If the applicant has a clean record while in prison, has entered into programs while in prison, and doesn't have a record before the conviction, then there is no real reason to deny parole. Possibly he won't get it on the first attempt but sooner or later he will. Parole will likely continue for the remainder of his sentence, so it sounds like he will be monitored for many years to come if he is granted parole. If this guy doesn't present a special risk (after all, he apparently went crime free for the five years after the divorce until the allegation was made, and I assume wasn't pursueing the victim during that time) then why should he be kept in prison for life?

He did get 15 year sentences on each of several counts, however the judge suspended the majority of the 45 year sentence. He will be on parole/probation for 5 years after his release. We have reason to believe that Lauren was not the only victim, but his arrest was never mentioned in the press so nobody else came forward. His prior convictions include selling cocaine to an undercover officer and numerous assaults, breaking and entering, violation of probation, DUI, obstructing & hindering, and trespassing. He was not CAUGHT committing a crime for 5 years, however that could be because he was in the habit of telling any LE who asked for him that he was not home. I finally asked them to take along his photo and to see if the guy who kept saying Donnie wasn't there was him, and the next day they "found" him. It also turns out that after the divorce, he began using MY maiden name as his last name. This may have caused enough confusion to keep him from being arrested, but I don't know for sure.

LisaB
07-09-2012, 07:00 AM
:yourock:

LisaB
07-09-2012, 08:27 AM
We were negatively impacted by some of Lauren's personal correspondence via mySpace, as the attorney's subpoeanaed same. These were messages written in her early teens, NOT at the time the crime was committed, therefore the introduction of the material contained therein seemed irrelevent to us. They twisted what she had on the site to suggest she was a "delinquent". She was banned (by me) from facebook when I saw her page, 3 years BEFORE his trial, and she had not been on since, even to delete anything that could pose a problem for the prosecution. Her last status update was "Let's Do The Time Warp Again". a reference to a song/dance from The Rocky Horror Picture Show. His attorneys insisted she was delusionsal, and probably using psychedelic drugs, leading her to believe she had the power to influence time and space. This was just ONE of the many ridiculous things they tried. If I ever am charged with a crime, I want those slimy lawyers in my corner.

We were also disappointed to learn that, despite her having told several "Mandatory Reporters" (her psychiatrist, her school nurse, her school guidance counselor, the principal, the vice principal, and two teachers) I was the only person to report what had happened. Obviously this weakened our position, as it appeared we "lied" about her having told these people. Since they WERE Mandatory Reporters, it was posited that, if there was no report from them, she must not have told them.

CJMAJORGIRL24
07-09-2012, 04:59 PM
I just wanted you to know that I did receive a response to my email...

Thanks for your input. We will add this to others for review on this case.

LisaB
07-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Both email and good ol snail mail have been sent re:Brunstetter.. looking forward to hearing there was a firm denial in his hearing attempting to have approval for early release/parole.. how about our system follow through with the guidelines of sentencing those convicted of a crime which carries a MANDATORY MINIMUM sentence.. otherwise really what is even the point of having sentencing guidelines that were established to keep those convicted FOR THE ENTIRETY OF THEIR SENTENCE?? ..moo the MANDATORY MINIMUM in theory would be quite a deterrent in knowing that they could not be released so much as even a single day early from their full sentence.. but it certainly appears as tho the MANDATORY MINIMUM IS NOT MANDATORY AT ALL.. Arrrgghh!

That Mandatory Minimum is a 2010 law. His crimes occurred in 2000-2002, he was charged in 2007, convicted 2008. So it doesn't apply. I asked the parole commission to clarify, quoting the section of the criminal code you provided.

SmoothOperator
07-09-2012, 06:43 PM
I, too received a reply email from both Blumberg and Ogle stating that my letter would be added to the file that is read and taken into consideration during the deliberations of the Commissioners re:Brunstetters early release.. Ruth Ann Ogle did however also take the time to explain to me why the MANDATORY MINIMUM statute did not apply in Brunstetters case...just as you posted earlier the reason is that this MAN-MIN statute did not go into effect until 10/1/2010..

I'll be praying for both you and Lauren in these upcoming weeks that God allow you both to be at peace about the difficult, yet necessary task of making this trip and ensuring Lauren's voice be heard loud and crystal clear to those whose job it is to deliberate and decide Brunstetter's immediate future...and that God allow the words to flow freely expressing just what it is that you want to express before these Commissioners ..

:heartbeat:
Jess

Tricia
07-09-2012, 10:07 PM
That's wonderful that you are receiving replies. Hopefully they are listening.

Keep it up and thank you so much for helping keep this predator behind bars.

Tricia

all4justice
07-09-2012, 11:48 PM
I sent emails to the Maryland and NC Parole Commissions. Hopefully, with efforts like these, we can turn things around so that short sentences for pedophiles will be a thing of the past.

LisaB, I just want to tell you how sorry I am to hear about your daughter's experience. It breaks my heart to hear how she has suffered and continues to suffer. Writing an email to the Parole Board is the least I can do. I pray that God will give you both the healing, peace, and comfort to get through this. Your daughter is blessed to have a crusader like you for a mom. <hugs>

all4justice

all4justice
07-10-2012, 05:11 PM
I REALLY appreciate you not only taking time to write a letter, but to let me know that they got it, and ARE going to consider these in making a decision.

When we first met Donnie, he misrepresented himself and his financial situation, withheld information about his criminal history, and neglected to mention a series of Motor Vehicle violations (DUI, driving on suspended license, etc.). Furthermore, he failed to disclose an 18-month stay in a mental health facility as a teenager after being expelled from two boarding schools, one of which positions itself as "offering remediation for boys not achieving their potential". None of this information was available to us at that time.

We are TERRIFIED of seeing him, and it isn't made any better by the fact that we have to go and do this in the prison, 3 hours from home. Prisons freak me out, but we have to do this. He has been in "protective custody" since arriving at the facility, so the stereotypical treatment of convicted child sex offenders by the other inmates (trying to be delicate) is not an issue here.

My daughter apparently was not aware of this until I mentioned it last night. She has been "gloating" for the last 4 years figuring that what goes around comes around. She was DEVASTATED upon learning the truth. Personally, I would not wish that on ANYONE, however I think 45 years incarceration would have been a step in the right direction. Unfortunately, that is no longer an option, but 15 years (11 to go) is.

I'd be interested in seeing what people have written, and would love it if you would either post your letters here, or PM me.

Here is the response I received:

Your letter has been made a part of Mr. Brunstetter’s parole file and will be taken into consideration when the parole decision is made. Melissa A. CoxMaryland Parole CommissionDeputy Operations AdministratorOffice of the Chairman410-585-3256

athy
07-11-2012, 01:50 PM
i too sent a letter to the parole board. i used the sample letter posted on the first page for those that aren't involved or live close but i added a few words of my own.

========

Although I am not personally involved in this case, I feel it is EVERYBODY's responsibility to protect our society's children from sexual predators. I am writing in the capacity of a concerned citizen who has recently become aware of the July 24th Parole Hearing for Donald S. Brunstetter, Inmate #352456, who was charged by the State of Maryland for the crimes of parental child abuse, second degree sexual assault, second degree and third degree sexual offenses, and unnatural or perverted practices, and convicted in July 2008, despite his "Not Guilty" pleas, and sentenced to a term of 45 years, the majority of which was suspended.

Since his conviction, he has acknowledged, in his own handwriting, that he did in fact commit the acts of which he was accused. His victim was an eight-year-old girl, who he molested regularly throughout his two-year marriage to her mother.

Those who abuse children can not be counted upon to control their impulses, which is why keeping them incarcerated is the only way to completely segregate them from potential victims, thereby eliminating the threat of future offenses, which are statistically likely to occur if an opportunity presents itself.

Victims of sexual abuse often experience severe emotional trauma upon seeing the offender, even in a public place where he poses no threat to them. Mr. Brunstetter's victim still resides in the area, and is terrified at the possibility that he may be released, fearing she will spend the rest of her life looking over her shoulder, never feeling really safe. As she is still in therapy, it would be in her best interests to keep her molestor behind bars while she continues to develop coping mechanisms and a support network. She has suffered from his actions for 12 years, and the end is nowhere in sight.

i know from personal experience as a mother of a daughter that was molested when she was 5 years old. she is 36 now and still has emotional problems due to the molestation. it took years for her to finally be able to develop a normal married life. the guy that molested her was only given 14 months in jail. he was out in about 7 months and a few years later ended up molesting another child. he is out of jail and leading a normal life where it took my daughter years of counselling to accomplish the same.

Please consider these facts when you review Mr. Brunstetter's case on July 24th, 2012, and DENY HIS REQUST FOR PAROLE.

LisaB
07-11-2012, 07:33 PM
If these letters don't make a difference, I will eat my hat. If the parole board can read them and not be moved nearly to the point of tears, they are obviously hardened by years of dealing with cases like this and have learned to distance themselves emotionally for their own mental health.

THANK YOU ALL!

JDB
07-11-2012, 08:14 PM
LisaB there will be 3 emails coming from my house this weekend to keep this Monster behind bars where he belongs. You my friend and you daughter don't deserve to have to live in fear.

Sooner Fan#1
07-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Letter sent!

Thoughts and prayers for you and your daughter, Lisa.

Reader
07-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Sent an email on the Brunstetter case about 7:50pm and got 2 responses a little after 8pmE, from 2 different people showing it had been received. They are really on the ball there...

LisaB, kudos to you for continuing to fight for your daughter!

May her abuser not be released and may you both receive some peace of mind and spirit.

LisaB
07-13-2012, 02:27 PM
I just had a call from the parole commission answering some questions I had about the process. Before she hung up she said "I wanted to let you know that all the letters and emails we have received are in his file for review".

Thanks to ALL who have written. And if you have been meaning to do so, but haven't, it's not too late.

LisaB
07-13-2012, 04:24 PM
After SmoothOperator cited the information about the change in the law in October 2010 which required those convicted of a child sex offense to serve a mandatory minimum with no part suspended and no early parole, I called and learned it did not apply as his offenses occurred in 2000-2002 and he was convicted in July 2008.

I paid a visit to the Parole Commission website (http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/aboutdpscs/FAQmpc.shtml#parol)
where I discovered the following:

Q21. Does Parole continue to give hearings to Violent Offenders?

Since October 1, 1994 the eligibility for a violent offense is 50% of sentence. Pre-1994, the parole eligibility is 25%, the same eligibility for non-violent offenders.

Q2. Was the crime committed against me a "violent" crime?

The crimes the Parole Commission defines as "violent" include:

abduction
arson
assault first degree
burglary
carjacking
child abuse
rape
robbery
sexual offense first and second degrees
escape
housebreaking
kidnapping
maiming and mayhem
manslaughter (except involuntary manslaughter)
murder
use of a handgun
attempts to commit (and assaults with intent to commit) certain crimes

There are exceptions to this list, depending upon when the offense was committed.

Donnie was convicted of (among others) two counts of child abuse, and one charge of second degree sex offense. I just called the Office of Victim Services for clarification, as his crimes occurred well AFTER the 1994 date this ruling took effect, and am waiting for clarification now. I will be sure to keep you all posted, and HUGE THANKS to Smooth for bringing to my attention that there might be other factors that could be used to keep him in prison.

ETA: This doesn't apply to our case since the portions of the sentence that were suspended were for these charges. The ones he is actually serving time for are not considered "violent crimes" under this statute.

Tugela
07-14-2012, 01:58 AM
We were negatively impacted by some of Lauren's personal correspondence via mySpace, as the attorney's subpoeanaed same. These were messages written in her early teens, NOT at the time the crime was committed, therefore the introduction of the material contained therein seemed irrelevent to us. They twisted what she had on the site to suggest she was a "delinquent". She was banned (by me) from facebook when I saw her page, 3 years BEFORE his trial, and she had not been on since, even to delete anything that could pose a problem for the prosecution. Her last status update was "Let's Do The Time Warp Again". a reference to a song/dance from The Rocky Horror Picture Show. His attorneys insisted she was delusionsal, and probably using psychedelic drugs, leading her to believe she had the power to influence time and space. This was just ONE of the many ridiculous things they tried. If I ever am charged with a crime, I want those slimy lawyers in my corner.

We were also disappointed to learn that, despite her having told several "Mandatory Reporters" (her psychiatrist, her school nurse, her school guidance counselor, the principal, the vice principal, and two teachers) I was the only person to report what had happened. Obviously this weakened our position, as it appeared we "lied" about her having told these people. Since they WERE Mandatory Reporters, it was posited that, if there was no report from them, she must not have told them.

They were probably refering to the collective myspace messages and context, not specifically to the status update. That would be a reasonable argument for a defence lawyer to take when questioning the credibility of a witness since it reflected her state of mind during that period. After all, you say that you yourself were disturbed enough by them to ban her from using the service. You can't focus on an isolated statement as outrageous since that doesn't reflect what the lawyers were trying to show.

If seven mandatory reporters were supposedly told independently, then you would have to assume that all seven people separately chose to put their careers on the line. That would create a reasonable credibilty issue on that claim since the chances of everyone not doing their job is not that great. What did those seven have to say? Did they all deny it? I am guessing they did or it would not have brought up to impeach her credibility.

A word of advice, don't phrase things as "your position" or stuff like that, since it creates the impression of an adverserial conflict that you are trying to win, rather than addressing a crime. Whatever happened to you daughter happened, and its done. The winning and losing is the domain of the lawyers after that and it is not going to change the past. Facts and evidence are what they are, a victim does not have a position they need to take or defend. At this point he has been convicted and is in prison. If he gets out on parole or not is not really going to be affected by whatever you do or say. The parole board deals with this sort of stuff all the time, it is their job, they are going to go primarily with with the evidence (or lack thereof) for rehabilitation they have at their disposal. The best advice I can give you is to go on with your life, put it behind you and not get too involve in it all. You can send in your impact statement but beyond that the process is going to go pretty much as it is going to go, whatever letters and whatnot that people send in is not going to change the outcome, it is not an election.

Btw, in an earlier message you mentioned a confession after the trial ended. I would not take that too seriously since he would have been preparing for eventual parole. If someone wants parole they usually have to show the board that they have been rehabilitated, and part of that involves admission of what they did and acknowledgement of how wrong it was. If he continued to claim that he was innocent he would probably not get parole. Once someone is convicted, if they actually are innocent they have to make a deal with the devil and confess anyway if they hope to get out before serving their full sentence. Real confessions come before the trial, not afterwards.

Bleh....my dinner was burning while typing this out...trying something new too!

Tugela
07-14-2012, 02:12 AM
Donnie was convicted of (among others) two counts of child abuse, and one charge of second degree sex offense. I just called the Office of Victim Services for clarification, as his crimes occurred well AFTER the 1994 date this ruling took effect, and am waiting for clarification now. I will be sure to keep you all posted, and HUGE THANKS to Smooth for bringing to my attention that there might be other factors that could be used to keep him in prison.

ETA: This doesn't apply to our case since the portions of the sentence that were suspended were for these charges. The ones he is actually serving time for are not considered "violent crimes" under this statute.

I am curious, surely those would be the more serious of the convictions? Did the judge give any reasons why those were suspended but not the sentence for other crimes?

What are the crimes he is actually in prison for?

If the sex related crimes resulted in suspended sentences, I would guess that the chances of civil commitment are about zero. Civil commitment is applied to unrepentant sexual offenders who have a high probability to reoffend.

EXIA15145
07-14-2012, 04:29 AM
What some people don't realize about these kinds of cases (child predator), that child and every person that they interact with is affected by the actions of that pervert. In some cases, the victim becomes withdrawn, and has issues relating to other people, trusting other people. Then there is the opposite reaction. In way too many cases the victim sees themself as unworthy or tainted and they become promiscuous. They don't feel worthy of a decent relationship. In some respects, those associated with the victim of the predator becomes a victim also, through their relationship with the victim.

LisaB
07-14-2012, 08:45 AM
They were probably refering to the collective myspace messages and context, not specifically to the status update. That would be a reasonable argument for a defence lawyer to take when questioning the credibility of a witness since it reflected her state of mind during that period. After all, you say that you yourself were disturbed enough by them to ban her from using the service. You can't focus on an isolated statement as outrageous since that doesn't reflect what the lawyers were trying to show.

If seven mandatory reporters were supposedly told independently, then you would have to assume that all seven people separately chose to put their careers on the line. That would create a reasonable credibilty issue on that claim since the chances of everyone not doing their job is not that great. What did those seven have to say? Did they all deny it? I am guessing they did or it would not have brought up to impeach her credibility.

A word of advice, don't phrase things as "your position" or stuff like that, since it creates the impression of an adverserial conflict that you are trying to win, rather than addressing a crime. Whatever happened to you daughter happened, and its done. The winning and losing is the domain of the lawyers after that and it is not going to change the past. Facts and evidence are what they are, a victim does not have a position they need to take or defend. At this point he has been convicted and is in prison. If he gets out on parole or not is not really going to be affected by whatever you do or say. The parole board deals with this sort of stuff all the time, it is their job, they are going to go primarily with with the evidence (or lack thereof) for rehabilitation they have at their disposal. The best advice I can give you is to go on with your life, put it behind you and not get too involve in it all. You can send in your impact statement but beyond that the process is going to go pretty much as it is going to go, whatever letters and whatnot that people send in is not going to change the outcome, it is not an election.

Btw, in an earlier message you mentioned a confession after the trial ended. I would not take that too seriously since he would have been preparing for eventual parole. If someone wants parole they usually have to show the board that they have been rehabilitated, and part of that involves admission of what they did and acknowledgement of how wrong it was. If he continued to claim that he was innocent he would probably not get parole. Once someone is convicted, if they actually are innocent they have to make a deal with the devil and confess anyway if they hope to get out before serving their full sentence. Real confessions come before the trial, not afterwards.

Bleh....my dinner was burning while typing this out...trying something new too!

OUCH.

The problems I had with her myspace were that she had posed in bikini for photos (not on a beach, in her room) which I found inappropriate as she was 13, and that there was an album of photos of her cutting herself with a razor blade. If you wish, I can send those (cutting) photos to you. I still don't think the bikini pictures are appropriate, and therefore will not provide those to the general public. In addition, some of the things OTHERS posted to her myspace page were age-inappropriate. She stated she could not control what her friends said, so I made her move her computer out of her room, remove the offensive content, and changed her myspace password to one she did not know to keep her from using it. I left the "Time Warp" comment since I was aware of its source.

The attorneys asked her about the song quote... and asked if she had typed that status update. She said she had and he then SPECIFICALLY referenced that quote as indicative of her being deluded enough to believe she controlled time and space. They did not ask her to explain, and she had been told to answer "yes" or "no" whenever possible (by the State's Attorney). I have a full recording of the trial, and you can order one from the court if you still doubt me. It is in a format that requires you to install the included player to listen, or I'd provide the relevant clip for you.

The mandatory reporter she told first was her psychiatrist. I filed a complaint with the medical board, and their action was to "remind him" of his obligation to report. The letters from them are among the links above. The school personnel asked her if she had reported the abuse and she told them she had. The guidance counselor, nurse, and one teacher told ME, and again, asked if it had been reported. The school board policy is that the school staff NOT attempt to investigate the charges but to report. I told each of them that I had made a report, but asked that they do the same. They opted not to, as they knew it had already been reported. Had they followed protocol, they would have called CPS or the police to report it, as opposed to discussing it with me.

He is NOT innocent. While I find his reasons for writing the letter to be self serving, he DID admit it, and the letter is linked above. I feel it was to put him in a better position for parole, but ALSO was part of the "12 step" NA program he participated in, and he pretty much had to do it to be considered cooperative and compliant with that program, also geared toward parole.

Unfortunately, putting this behind us is harder than it sounds. I don't think you really understand. Your comments are hurtful, and really not what I had hoped to wake up to this morning. Thanks for that.

When I spoke with the woman from the parole commission, she told me i ABSOLUTELY makes a difference whether we attend the parole hearing. She also indicated that the letter-writing campaign will work strongly in our favor. Unless you think she was blowing sunshine up my skirt, I believe she knows what she is talking about.

LisaB
07-14-2012, 09:14 AM
I am curious, surely those would be the more serious of the convictions? Did the judge give any reasons why those were suspended but not the sentence for other crimes?

What are the crimes he is actually in prison for?

If the sex related crimes resulted in suspended sentences, I would guess that the chances of civil commitment are about zero. Civil commitment is applied to unrepentant sexual offenders who have a high probability to reoffend.

Again, refer to the links in the first post... if you go to the Maryland Judiciary Case Search and enter his name, you can see all of his records back to the late 80s or early 90s. This was not information that was publicly available when we met him.

Since you don't seem to have looked at any of the documents provided for you, I will look it up now and post the specific charges, disposition, and sentence for which he is currently imprisoned:

Charge No: 1
CJIS Code:1 3802
Statute Code:27.35C.(b).(1)
Charge Description: Child Abuse: Parent
Offense Date From: 05/01/2000 To:
Arrest Tracking No: 07-1001-67970-0
Sentence Version:0
Charge Class:F
Disposition
Plea: Not Guilty
Plea Date:07/01/2008
Disposition: Guilty
Disposition Date:07/08/2008
Jail Term: Yrs:15 Mos:0 Days:0 Hours:0
Suspended Term: Yrs:10 Mos:0 Days:0 Hours:0
UnSuspended Term: Yrs:5 Mos:0 Days:0 Hours:0
Jail Text: 15 YRS - DOC, SUSPEND ALL BUT 5 YRS, CREDIT FOR 45 DAYS. REGISTER AS CHILD SEX OFFENDER. COURT COSTS $145. P&P FEE
----------------------------------------------------
Charge No: 6
CJIS Code:1 3802
Statute Code:27.35C.(b).(1)
Charge Description: Child Abuse: Parent
Offense Date From: 05/01/2000 To:
Disposition
Jail Text: 15 YRS - DOC, SUSPEND ALL BUT 5 YRS, CONSECUTIVE TO CT #1.
Charge No: 7
CJIS Code:2 3600
Statute Code:27.464A
Charge Description: Sex Offense Second Degree
Offense Date From: 05/01/2000To:
Disposition
Jail Text: 15 YRS - DOC, SUSPEND ALL BUT 5 YRS, CONSECUTIVE TO CT #6.
Charge No: 8
CJIS Code:3 3600
Statute Code:27.464B
Charge Description: Sex Offense Third Degree
Disposition
Jail Term: Yrs:5 Mos:0 Days:0 Hours:0
Suspended Term: Yrs:0 Mos:0 Days:0 Hours:0
Jail Text: 5 YRS - DOC, CONCURRENT TO CT #1.
Charge No: 9
CJIS Code:6 3600
Statute Code:27.554
Charge Description: Unnatural Or Perverted Practice
Charge Class:M
Disposition
Merged Text: MERGED INTO COUNT #7
Charge No: 10
CJIS Code:1 1415
Statute Code:27.12A
Charge Description: Assault-Second Degree
Charge Class:M
Disposition
Merged Text: MERGED INTO COUNT #7
Sentencing Net Totals
Serve Time: Yrs:15 Mos:0 Days:0 Hours:0
Probation : Yrs:5 Mos:0 Days:0 Hours:0
Credit Time Served:45

Two years after his conviction, Maryland passed a mandatory 15 year minimum with no portion to be suspended and no early parole. While this does not technically apply to him, the parole commission certainly knows the state has taken a tougher stance on these offenders. While they can not retroactively "sentence him" to this term, they can effectively do the same thing by not granting parole until he has served 15 years, as sentenced.

songline
07-14-2012, 08:25 PM
Here's another sample letter. This is one that could be used by those who are not directly involved in the case, and may even live in another part of the country (or world) and have never met me, my daughter Lauren, or Mr. Brunstetter. Feel free to use any or all of it in writing your own letter.

I did not even read the thread, but sent an e-mail immediately.
LISA B. Bless your heart and may your daughter heal quickly.
I am all shook up and will resume soon.
I do not deal well with children getting hurt.

It is a child that got me to WS in the first place.
I think WS is awesome, and I hope we can all make a difference for your daughter.

LisaB
07-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Richard,
I got a letter in the mail yesterday from the parole commission, regarding Coffey. They wanted to let me know that my letter had been received and placed in his file.

LisaB
07-16-2012, 04:26 PM
FURTHER CLARIFICATION:
There was, in 1994, a law passed in Maryland requiring persons convicted of "violent crimes" to serve 50% of their sentence before being eligible for parole.

Lauren was molested from 2000 to 2002.

We reported it in 2007, and the trial was held in 2008

In 2007, Child Molestation was reclassified as a "violent crime."

Although he was not tried until 2008, he had to be tried under the statutes in place in 2000-2002, when the crime took place, instead of the laws in place at the time of his trial.

Therefore, since Child Molestation was NOT categorized as a "violent offense" at the time the acts were committed, the judge could not use the 2007 reclassification in considering Mr. Brunstetter's sentencing.

A law passed in 2010 required Child Sex Offenders to serve a mandatory minimum of 15 years, with no part suspended and no possibility of early release. This does not apply to us at all, as it occurred after he had been tried, sentenced and incarcerated.

Kaybug
07-17-2012, 11:49 AM

Coffey was convicted of murdering 10-year-old Amanda Ray and sentenced twice to death. At his third trial, much evidence was supressed and he got a life sentence. He has been elegible for parole since 1995 and is once again up for parole this month. A hearing is set for 21 July 2012.

Write to:
P.O. Box 29540
Raleigh, NC 27626-0540

LINKS:

Neely Smith, age 5, murdered 1981, NC - Suspect: Fred Howard Coffey Jr. - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community (http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16875)

North Carolina Department Of Public Safety
Offender Public Information

Offender Information

FRED H COFFEY
Offender Number: 0081135
Inmate Status: ACTIVE
Race: WHITE
Ethnic Group: EUROPEAN/N.AM./AUSTR
Current Location: PENDER CI

Printable Version

Name(s) Of Record

Last Name
Suffix
First Name
Middle Name
Name Type
COFFEY JR FRED HOWARD COMMITTED
COFFEY CHICK ALIAS
COFFEY JR. FRED HOWARD ALIAS
COFFEY HOWARD ALIAS
DAVIS BOBBY ALIAS

Most Recent Incarceration Summary

Incarceration Status: ACTIVE Total Incarceration Term: LIFE
Conviction Date: 01/21/1987 Projected Release Date: LIFE
Primary Crime: MURDER FIRST DEGREE (PRINCIPAL) Primary Crime Type: FELON
Special Characteristics: LIFE Current Status: FELON
Admission Date: 02/02/1987 Admitting Location: CENTRAL PRISON
Control Status: REGULAR POPULATION Next Control Review: UNKNOWN
Custody Classification: MEDIUM Next Custody Review: 11/01/2012
Number Of Infractions: 0 Last Infraction Date: N/A
Current Location: PENDER CI Previous Location: NOT PUBLIC INFORMATION
Last Movement : NOT PUBLIC INFORMATION Last Movement Date: 10/27/2005

Escapes?: N

Offender Sentence History

Most Recent Period of Incarceration Record

Sentence Number: BA-001 Commitment Type: INMATE
Conviction Date: 01/21/1987 County Of Conviction: CALDWELL
Service Status: EXPIRED Sentence Begin Date: 01/21/1987
Actual Release Date: 04/22/1991
Punishment Type: FAIR FELONS Projected Release Date: 04/22/1991
Sentence Type 1: DEPT OF CORR DIV OF PRISONS
Minimum Term: Maximum Term: 10 YEARS

Commitment
Docket#
Offense (Qualifier)
Offense Date
Type
Sentencing
Penalty
Class Code

INITIAL 86008560 INDECENT LIBERTY W/CHILD (PRINCIPAL) 02/21/1984 FELON CLASS H
CONSOLIDATED FOR JUDGMENT 86008563 INDECENT LIBERTY W/CHILD (PRINCIPAL) 08/24/1984 FELON CLASS H

Sentence Number: BA-002 Commitment Type: INMATE
Service Status: EXPIRED Sentence Begin Date: 04/22/1991
Actual Release Date: 03/10/1996
Punishment Type: FAIR FELONS Projected Release Date: 03/10/1996

Commitment
Docket#
Offense (Qualifier)
Offense Date
Type
Sentencing
Penalty
Class Code

CONSECUTIV TO SENTENCE NUMBER BA-001 86008561 INDECENT LIBERTY W/CHILD (PRINCIPAL) 02/02/1986 FELON CLASS H
CONSOLIDATED FOR JUDGMENT 86008562 INDECENT LIBERTY W/CHILD (PRINCIPAL) 02/24/1985 FELON CLASS H

Sentence Number: BA-003 Commitment Type: INMATE
Service Status: EXPIRED Sentence Begin Date: 03/10/1996
Actual Release Date: 05/12/2000
Punishment Type: FAIR FELONS Projected Release Date: 05/12/2000

Commitment
Docket#
Offense (Qualifier)
Offense Date
Type
Sentencing
Penalty
Class Code

CONSECUTIV TO SENTENCE NUMBER BA-002 86008567 INDECENT LIBERTY W/CHILD (PRINCIPAL) 08/21/1985 FELON CLASS H
CONSOLIDATED FOR JUDGMENT 86008564 INDECENT LIBERTY W/CHILD (PRINCIPAL) 06/01/1985 FELON CLASS H

Sentence Number: BA-004 Commitment Type: INMATE
Service Status: EXPIRED Sentence Begin Date: 05/12/2000
Actual Release Date: 06/17/2004
Punishment Type: FAIR FELONS Projected Release Date: 06/17/2004

Commitment
Docket#
Offense (Qualifier)
Offense Date
Type
Sentencing
Penalty
Class Code

CONSECUTIV TO SENTENCE NUMBER BA-003 86008566 INDECENT LIBERTY W/CHILD (PRINCIPAL) 01/13/1985 FELON CLASS H
CONSOLIDATED FOR JUDGMENT 86008568 INDECENT LIBERTY W/CHILD (PRINCIPAL) 03/01/1986 FELON CLASS H

Sentence Number: BA-005 Commitment Type: INMATE
Service Status: EXPIRED Sentence Begin Date: 06/17/2004
Actual Release Date: 10/27/2007
Punishment Type: FAIR FELONS Projected Release Date: 10/27/2007

Commitment
Docket#
Offense (Qualifier)
Offense Date
Type
Sentencing
Penalty
Class Code

CONSECUTIV TO SENTENCE NUMBER BA-004 86008569 INDECENT LIBERTY W/CHILD (PRINCIPAL) 06/01/1983 FELON CLASS H

Sentence Number: BA-006 Commitment Type: INMATE
Conviction Date: 10/20/1987 County Of Conviction: MECKLENBURG
Service Status: EAR.TERM Sentence Begin Date: 10/20/1987
Sentence Status: VACATED Actual Release Date: 09/14/1989
Punishment Type: PRE-FAIR Projected Release Date: DEATH
Sentence Type 2: DEATH ROW
Minimum Term: DEATH Maximum Term: DEATH

Commitment
Docket#
Offense (Qualifier)
Offense Date
Type
Sentencing
Penalty
Class Code

CONCURRENT TO SENTENCE NUMBER BA-001 87004610 MURDER FIRST DEGREE (PRINCIPAL) 07/18/1979 FELON FELONS (PREFAIR)

Sentence Number: BA-007 Commitment Type: INMATE
Conviction Date: 05/22/1991 County Of Conviction: MECKLENBURG
Service Status: EAR.TERM Sentence Begin Date: 05/22/1991
Sentence Status: VACATED Actual Release Date: 06/17/1994
Punishment Type: FAIR FELONS Projected Release Date: DEATH
Sentence Type 2: DEATH ROW
Minimum Term: DEATH Maximum Term: DEATH

Commitment
Docket#
Offense (Qualifier)
Offense Date
Type
Sentencing
Penalty
Class Code

CONCURRENT TO SENTENCE NUMBER BA-001 87004610 MURDER FIRST DEGREE (PRINCIPAL) 07/18/1979 FELON CLASS A

Sentence Number: BA-008 Commitment Type: INMATE
Conviction Date: 08/31/1995 County Of Conviction: MECKLENBURG
Service Status: ACTIVE Sentence Begin Date: 10/27/2007
Sentence Status: CORRECT Actual Release Date:
Punishment Type: PRE-FAIR Projected Release Date: LIFE
Sentence Type 2: LIFE SENTENCE
Minimum Term: Maximum Term: LIFE

Commitment
Docket#
Offense (Qualifier)
Offense Date
Type
Sentencing
Penalty
Class Code

CONSECUTIV TO SENTENCE NUMBER BA-005 87004610 MURDER FIRST DEGREE (PRINCIPAL) 07/18/1979 FELON FELONS (PREFAIR)

I have come upon this thread a bit to late to send snail mail and be assured it gets there in time so I will send e-mail.

Richard
07-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Kaybug,

Thank you for the extensive posting about Coffey and his convictions.

It may be of interest that although Coffey is in the North Carolina prison system and facing a Parole Hearing next week there, he is also known and suspected of having committed crimes against children in a number of other states.

One of those states is Maryland (coincidentally, Brunstetter's home state). Coffey lived in Maryland from some time after September 1974 to the end of July 1975. His name has been mentioned in connection with the disappearance of Sheila and Kate Lyon (ages 12 and 10) and in connection with the abduction and murder of Kathy Lynn Beatty. You can read about those cases here on websleuths.

Coffey is known to have committed crimes against Children in Virginia, too. His home town of Bristol saw the disappearance of a little 8-year-old boy named Travis Shane King in 1986. His body was found later in Tennessee. Coffey was the last person to be seen with him.

Coffey also lived in Virginia Beach, VA. While there in 1974, he abducted and raped a 13 year old girl (the daughter of a fellow Navy man). In October 1975, he was arrested with a 15 year old girl in his vehicle. The eventual charge was "Contributing the the Delinquency of a Minor".

On the up side, since going to prison in 1986, Coffey has not had a single infraction or disciplinary problem. And he has not molested or killed a single child.

I guess it boils down to having to ask yourself what residence suits him best: prison or the house next door.

Please take the time to voice your opinion to the parole board.

Write to:
P.O. Box 29540
Raleigh, NC 27626-0540
or send an email to parole@doc.state.nc.us (parole@doc.state.nc.us)

Tugela
07-18-2012, 05:01 AM
OUCH.

The problems I had with her myspace were that she had posed in bikini for photos (not on a beach, in her room) which I found inappropriate as she was 13, and that there was an album of photos of her cutting herself with a razor blade. If you wish, I can send those (cutting) photos to you. I still don't think the bikini pictures are appropriate, and therefore will not provide those to the general public. In addition, some of the things OTHERS posted to her myspace page were age-inappropriate. She stated she could not control what her friends said, so I made her move her computer out of her room, remove the offensive content, and changed her myspace password to one she did not know to keep her from using it. I left the "Time Warp" comment since I was aware of its source.

The attorneys asked her about the song quote... and asked if she had typed that status update. She said she had and he then SPECIFICALLY referenced that quote as indicative of her being deluded enough to believe she controlled time and space. They did not ask her to explain, and she had been told to answer "yes" or "no" whenever possible (by the State's Attorney). I have a full recording of the trial, and you can order one from the court if you still doubt me. It is in a format that requires you to install the included player to listen, or I'd provide the relevant clip for you.

The mandatory reporter she told first was her psychiatrist. I filed a complaint with the medical board, and their action was to "remind him" of his obligation to report. The letters from them are among the links above. The school personnel asked her if she had reported the abuse and she told them she had. The guidance counselor, nurse, and one teacher told ME, and again, asked if it had been reported. The school board policy is that the school staff NOT attempt to investigate the charges but to report. I told each of them that I had made a report, but asked that they do the same. They opted not to, as they knew it had already been reported. Had they followed protocol, they would have called CPS or the police to report it, as opposed to discussing it with me.

He is NOT innocent. While I find his reasons for writing the letter to be self serving, he DID admit it, and the letter is linked above. I feel it was to put him in a better position for parole, but ALSO was part of the "12 step" NA program he participated in, and he pretty much had to do it to be considered cooperative and compliant with that program, also geared toward parole.

Unfortunately, putting this behind us is harder than it sounds. I don't think you really understand. Your comments are hurtful, and really not what I had hoped to wake up to this morning. Thanks for that.

When I spoke with the woman from the parole commission, she told me i ABSOLUTELY makes a difference whether we attend the parole hearing. She also indicated that the letter-writing campaign will work strongly in our favor. Unless you think she was blowing sunshine up my skirt, I believe she knows what she is talking about.

I'm just trying to figure out what the situation was, no need to get so defensive :)

Based on what you described of the case, it sounds like a she said/he said situation that happened years before the allegations, and in those cases generally all of the evidence is about credibility. So that is what both the defence and DA are going to focus on. With no physical evidence a jury will usually side with the prosecution if the case goes to trial unless the credibility of the accuser is very weak. Because there is no evidence, guilty or innocent, the only way to defend in those trials is to probe credibility and character, that is why those sorts of questions are asked. The DA should have explained this to you during the trial preparation.

The question about the myspace thing presumably would have been answered as "no" in that case. Possibly the attorney doesnt know anything about the Rocky Horror Show. It seems a wierd question to have asked otherwise. Probably at least some of the jurors would know about the movie, so unless it was tied to other stuff on the page then the question would have no effect. If there was nothing else too controversial on the page then such a question would probably have hurt the defence much more than helped it.

It is still not clear to me why you would think the attorney was accusing your daughter of lieing about telling the mandatory reporters. If she did tell them then they would have said so, so it would have been easy enough to clear up on rebuttal. You say the teachers told you, and I presume that is when the abuse was reported. So they did do something about it, possibly not the proper route, but they did act. Did they subsequently deny it? I am guessing the psychiatrist did deny it, if the board responded telling you to remind him/her, and he/she still didn't.

Like I said, real confessions come before a trial, not after. The confession he made was very likely for the benefit of parole. I bet once he gets out he will go back to denying it again.

Parole boards encourage victims to participate, that is the PC thing these days, so they are not going to tell you that participation is pointless. And it is not pointless, it is part of the information package they consider, as long as the submisions are rational and add some value. But the decision to release or not is still going to be based primarily on whatever metrics they use and what they believe the likelyhood of reoffence is (that might be different if parole boards are elected where you live, if that is so then you might be able to apply political pressure to achieve your goals). While you have your own view of your ex, it doesnt sound like he is going to be considered a high risk inmate, based on what you have described. If your submissions are completely at odds with everything else they have, they will probably give less weight to them. That said, he will probably have to take a few shots at applying for parole before he gets it. The main reason being that the penalty for his crimes has changed and they may use the backdoor approach to lengthen his effective sentence beyond what he could normally expect.

I'm not interested in seeing pictures of your daughter cutting herself, that is not relevant. People have lots of reasons why they do that, but usually it is because of things going on currently in their life, not stuff that happened in the past, allthough they might cite that as the reason. I had a sister who eventually killed herself after about a year and a half of constant attempts, and she too cited abuse early in life. But, I was there also and experienced the same thing, so I know for a fact how minor it really was (basically a bunch of kids playing doctor, one of whome was a few years older than the rest of us). The real reason for committing suicide was stuff happening in the last few years of her life, the "abuse" was used to rationalize what was going on and had been blown massively out of proportion by her friends trying to figure out what was wrong with her. In doing so they set her on a path of spiralling self destructive behaviour that no one could stop (my sister was kind of stubborn once she set her mind to something, she was also eventually diagnosed as bipolar, which didn't help). I am telling you this because you should not think that your daughters issues are over. You need to be very carefull about what you do at this point. This is not something that YOU have to put behind you, it is something SHE has to put behind her. Your only role is to help and support her in doing that, you should never forget that, it is not about you or your ex. If she started acting out years after the abuse happened, then there are other things going on, and you need to be aware of that. You need to focus on the present and future, not on the past, because if you don't you run the risk of amplifying the past over and over until something breaks. Trust me, that is not a place any loved one wants to go.

LisaB
07-18-2012, 09:32 AM
I'm just trying to figure out what the situation was, no need to get so defensive :)

Based on what you described of the case, it sounds like a she said/he said situation that happened years before the allegations, and in those cases generally all of the evidence is about credibility. So that is what both the defence and DA are going to focus on. With no physical evidence a jury will usually side with the prosecution if the case goes to trial unless the credibility of the accuser is very weak. Because there is no evidence, guilty or innocent, the only way to defend in those trials is to probe credibility and character, that is why those sorts of questions are asked. The DA should have explained this to you during the trial preparation.

The question about the myspace thing presumably would have been answered as "no" in that case. Possibly the attorney doesnt know anything about the Rocky Horror Show. It seems a wierd question to have asked otherwise. Probably at least some of the jurors would know about the movie, so unless it was tied to other stuff on the page then the question would have no effect. If there was nothing else too controversial on the page then such a question would probably have hurt the defence much more than helped it.

It is still not clear to me why you would think the attorney was accusing your daughter of lieing about telling the mandatory reporters. If she did tell them then they would have said so, so it would have been easy enough to clear up on rebuttal. You say the teachers told you, and I presume that is when the abuse was reported. So they did do something about it, possibly not the proper route, but they did act. Did they subsequently deny it? I am guessing the psychiatrist did deny it, if the board responded telling you to remind him/her, and he/she still didn't.

Like I said, real confessions come before a trial, not after. The confession he made was very likely for the benefit of parole. I bet once he gets out he will go back to denying it again.

Parole boards encourage victims to participate, that is the PC thing these days, so they are not going to tell you that participation is pointless. And it is not pointless, it is part of the information package they consider, as long as the submisions are rational and add some value. But the decision to release or not is still going to be based primarily on whatever metrics they use and what they believe the likelyhood of reoffence is (that might be different if parole boards are elected where you live, if that is so then you might be able to apply political pressure to achieve your goals). While you have your own view of your ex, it doesnt sound like he is going to be considered a high risk inmate, based on what you have described. If your submissions are completely at odds with everything else they have, they will probably give less weight to them. That said, he will probably have to take a few shots at applying for parole before he gets it. The main reason being that the penalty for his crimes has changed and they may use the backdoor approach to lengthen his effective sentence beyond what he could normally expect.

I'm not interested in seeing pictures of your daughter cutting herself, that is not relevant. People have lots of reasons why they do that, but usually it is because of things going on currently in their life, not stuff that happened in the past, allthough they might cite that as the reason. I had a sister who eventually killed herself after about a year and a half of constant attempts, and she too cited abuse early in life. But, I was there also and experienced the same thing, so I know for a fact how minor it really was (basically a bunch of kids playing doctor, one of whom was a few years older than the rest of us). The real reason for committing suicide was stuff happening in the last few years of her life, the "abuse" was used to rationalize what was going on and had been blown massively out of proportion by her friends trying to figure out what was wrong with her. In doing so they set her on a path of spiralling self destructive behaviour that no one could stop (my sister was kind of stubborn once she set her mind to something, she was also eventually diagnosed as bipolar, which didn't help). I am telling you this because you should not think that your daughters issues are over. You need to be very carefull about what you do at this point. This is not something that YOU have to put behind you, it is something SHE has to put behind her. Your only role is to help and support her in doing that, you should never forget that, it is not about you or your ex. If she started acting out years after the abuse happened, then there are other things going on, and you need to be aware of that. You need to focus on the present and future, not on the past, because if you don't you run the risk of amplifying the past over and over until something breaks. Trust me, that is not a place any loved one wants to go.

It was a "Perfect Storm" sort of situation. They subpoenaed the psychiatrist's files, but he had not noted the abuse, because, initially, Lauren decided not to report it. She changed her mind within 15 minutes of leaving his office so we called his office several times to let him know we HAD reported it and that he should do the same since the initial disclosure was to him and he WAS a mandatory reporter. I didn't want him to get into trouble for not reporting it, because he was trying to respect Lauren's wishes not to pursue this, even though he was required by law to do so. He still didn't. But I did not find that out until I was told by the State's Attorney.

The letters to the medical board were written after the trial, to report his inaction. It was too late for him to testify in our case at that time, but I wanted the board to KNOW that he had nearly sabotaged (unintentionally) the case, and to take action against him. The only action they took was to remind him of his obligation to report any FUTURE disclosures. It had no bearing at all on our situation.

Lauren's sex abuse counselor was WONDERFUL. Unfortunately (for us), she was on her honeymoon when we actually went to trial. "Susan" was dealing with a 16 year old girl, who had confided in her about things going on in her teenaged life in addition to the molestation earlier. When she returned, she told us that if she had been in the office when the records were requested, that she would have redacted certain irrelevant (to the case) confessions made to her. Instead, the office manager just sent the whole file. The psychiatrist was not even summonsed to appear since his files reflected nothing valuable.

The school staff, after learning I had reported it, asked if I wanted them to report it anyway, and I figured the more the better, and said yes. But they didn't. Again... they were supposed to go right to CPS without any sort of investigation as to whether it was true, whether I knew, or whether it had been reported. Since they had not, there was no basis for calling them to testify.

The Social Worker from CPS who interviewed Lauren first had taken a job in Virginia and was not required to attend the trial. If you read Lauren's descriptions of what happened, they are written from the perspective of an 8 year old, not a 16 year old. That gave her a lot of credibility with me. Unfortunately, the detective had ALSO changed to another department and therefore was not called to appear.

Even her best friend refused to testify, since Lauren's revelation to HER followed her own revelation that her biological father had raped her when she was 10. Her mom did not know, and she was concerned it would come out in court, so she told the State's Attorney that she could not recall the specifics of the conversation. She apologized to us for taking the easy way out, but she was dealing with the suicide of her brother just days before the trial and had enough to deal with, so the prosecutor decided it would be better not to call her.

None of the school staff was asked to testify, as none of them had made a report. If they had, they could have been called to discuss the content of their own report only. The defense suggested she was "lying" about having told them because "they would have been required by l law to report it", and if they hadn't done so, it (the disclosure) must not have happened.

As for physical evidence, she was able to describe a physical anomaly she would only have known about if she had seen his genitals. She also picked up HPV from him, as it was diagnosed (in her) prior to her becoming sexually active, and AFTER she had had the Gardasil regimen. It was something he had tried to lie to me about when I noticed "a bump" and I told him I would not have unprotected sex with him until he had it checked out (sorry if that is TMI). The doctors gave him an ointment, told him he would be ESPECIALLY contagious for the next 30 days, and to refrain from sexual activity during that time. Obviously I saw no reason to share this information with my 8 year old daughter. I presume he continued to have contact with her during that time period.

I know I have to put it all behind me, but there is a part of my mind that can't let go of his actions against my daughter (and several other young girls), but also the knowledge that my husband CHEATED ON ME in addition to all the other issues that led to our divorce. I can't help how I feel even though it is wrong, but have never mentioned this to my daughter. He fooled me completely.

I did not have a relationship after that marriage until 3 years later. I was afraid to trust anyone because of the magnitude of his OTHER deceptions. Learning what he did to my little girl was another big setback for me in terms of knowing who to trust. People tell me I "think too much" and "overanalyze". It is true. I have to look at things from many angles to be sure I am perceiving things as they are.

AS SOON AS I started seeing someone when she was 13, (who had the same body type and size as Donnie, which we both had noticed, although I did not know of the abuse, so it didn't skeeve me out then) the cutting started. Her "good" counselor told me that introducing a new "stepfather figure" had triggered the self injury as she was uncertain as to whether he would also abuse her. In a corner of her mind, she assumed it "came with the territory" and she did not want it to happen again. We were told that cutting was a "coping mechanism" although not a HEALTHY one. She hid the cuts under hoodies with "thumb holes" to keep the sleeves from riding up and exposing the cuts.

There was no jury. The case was tried by a judge.

As for the myspace thing, are you suggesting that, when asked if she had posted the phrase "Let's do the Time Warp again" on her myspace page, she should have lied and said NO? She HAD posted it, and they had proof in the form of 400+ pages of documents from myspace. She wasn't comfortable lying under oath, as he was doing enough of that for all of us. Until they offered their "interpretation" of her words, she had no REASON to deny it, and there was no follow up question asking what she had meant by posting it. She liked the song and frequently posted song lyrics to her page. It never even crossed her mind that someone would interpret it as the defense team did. She does the same sort of thing now on Facebook, and when the lyrics are something especially "dark" or "suggestive" I will Google it and "comment" her post with the source so nobody will think it is "her words".

Lauren is back in counseling due to the anxiety attacks that sometimes overwhelm her. In addition, she equates her self worth with her sexuality which is unhealthy. She is a pretty, smart, generous, creative, intelligent, loving person, but all she sees is that guys want to get into her pants. She doesn't recognize any of her other positive qualities, and it's just sad.

Just Pat 22
07-18-2012, 12:15 PM
I have also sent a l.etter to the Parole Board . I told them about my now dead niece Cathy Wilkins of Washington molested by my brother in law and she became mentally unstable and died because of the reckless life he caused her to live. I asked them not to give parole to Brunstetter to deny him the parole he seeks. God be with you at the hearing may he move the Hearts of the parole board to deny parole.

Compassionate Reader
07-22-2012, 11:41 PM
LisaB,

I copied the letter for concerned citizens that you so graciously supplied and sent it to the chairman. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Lauren during this difficult time. I hope and pray that this animal will remain incarcerated where he belongs.

Richard,

I have been out of contact for about a week and did not read about the Coffey animal until this evening (7/22/12) so I was unable to send an email regarding the 7/21/12 hearing. Hopefully, that animal will also remain incarcerated. Please let me know if you wish me to send an email anyway.

I'm sure that I speak for everyone when I request that you both keep us informed about these cases. If either comes up for parole again, please post again so we can again send on our vehement objections to such an atrocity. IMO, there is a spot in Hell that is at least 100 degrees hotter reserved for those who harm children and animals. I hope that any other members who know of situations like these will use this forum to inform the members here so that we can (hopefully) make a difference.

JDB
07-23-2012, 01:25 PM
Lady: Just want you to know that when you walk into that hearing tomorrow with Lauren. You will be not walking alone. Can't speak for everyone else but in sprit I will be walking right there beside you two. . But knowing this place we call home the way I do. There will be alot of us walking in there with you two in sprit,
There is amazing power in numbers
JDB

deanna82437
07-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Lisa and Lauren,
I can only echo what JDB has said. Just know you have a lot of support from here and we will be with you both and praying for the outcome you both are wishing for. Take care and keep the faith.

LisaB
07-23-2012, 08:56 PM
We alternate between Lauren screaming at me, crying, and saying she hates herself. I just cry when she's not around. I had not bitten my fingernails since I was 13... until today. She has had four serious panic attacks in the last week. I wish they made Flintstones Chewable Valium (kidding, of course).

I know she is the victim, but I sometimes feel I am too. I have to deal with the aftermath (i.e. Lauren's baggage), guilt for not figuring it out sooner, and the scope of his betrayal, and while she will get better, Lauren will always have issues. When he eventually does get out, I will always be looking over my shoulder.

I have a coworker I can't even stand to look at because he reminds me a bit of Donnie, and has some things in his past that make me uncomfortable. I am lucky to have one or two people IRL to lean on, but you guys here are much more comforting because I feel like most of you "get it" in a way people whose lives haven't been directly impacted can't fathom.

When the hearing ends, I will post the outcome.

JDB
07-24-2012, 08:48 AM
Thoughts and prayers going out this morning. Hoping that they deny this scums parole today

ynotdivein
07-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Lisa and Lauren, please know that whatever happened today, you are surrounded by an invisible network of supporters who truly want what's best for you both.

LisaB
07-24-2012, 04:51 PM
:jail:
This afternoon, Donald Brunstetter was denied parole. He may not reapply until July 2015.
We met the warden, who seemed glad to meet us. There were two members on the parole committee, who said that one of the things that makes it unlikely parole will be granted is the victim appearing at the parole hearing, since it makes them real people and not just names on a page.
Speaking of names on a page, both parole board members commented on the letter-writing campaign that Tricia initiated here on the CAPER forum to help us, saying that they'd never seen anything like it and that we must have a huge network of people on our side, considering the volume of letters received.

THANK YOU!
:jail:

magpie
07-24-2012, 06:42 PM
LisaB.... I am so happy for you and your daughter that he was denied parole today! Please remind us when this comes up again in 2015 and more letters will go out to the parole board. :justice: WS members ROCK!

Steely Dan
07-24-2012, 07:29 PM
I just sent this email to the parole board;

It has come to my attention that Fred Howard Coffey is up for parole. As a sex offender statistics show he's likely to be a repeat offender. This isn't a crime like robbery, this is an addiction that will probably never be cured. Child molesters have a compulsion that can't be controlled in the vast majority of cases and when he's released he'll likely offend again. Please don't let him out to society. I can't help but think that the longer he stays behind bars the fewer victims he'll be able to attack. Please keep him behind bars for his entire sentence and keep children safe and send a message to other sex offenders that there isn't any parole for them to look forward to. Also, send a message to his victims that they don't have anything to fear because he's still behind bars.

Thank you for your attention,

My name
My address

cocomod
07-24-2012, 08:54 PM
Lisa - CONGRATULATIONS!! I did not post in this thread prior, but I have been following along, and I sent in my letter as well.

I am very happy to hear that his parole was denied. You and your daughter are very brave!

I wish that the thread could be changed to PAROLE DENIED! What an awesome idea to have a thread dedicated to helping keep these monsters off the street!! Our children are as precious anything on this earth; and they need to be protected. WTG WS members!

Steely Dan
07-24-2012, 08:57 PM
Lisa - CONGRATULATIONS!! I did not post in this thread prior, but I have been following along, and I sent in my letter as well.

I am very happy to hear that his parole was denied. You and your daughter are very brave!

I wish that the thread could be changed to PAROLE DENIED! What an awesome idea to have a thread dedicated to helping keep these monsters off the street!! Our children are as precious anything on this earth; and they need to be protected. WTG WS members!

:doh: I missed that part. Oh well, I'm still glad I sent it.

LaLaw2000
07-24-2012, 10:48 PM
Thank God for the denial of parole! That is great, Lisa and Lauren!

This needs to happen in many other cases also. We have work to do!

JDB
07-24-2012, 11:40 PM
Lisa I know you and Lauren did not walk in there alone. You know we were there in sprit .i am so happy they denied t.

Compassionate Reader
07-25-2012, 12:59 AM
LisaB,

So glad to hear that the animal (I won't use its name) was denied parole. Remind us, as someone else said, so we can inundate the parole board with letters next time, too! I hope and pray that Lauren can find some measure of peace now.

Kimster
07-25-2012, 01:17 AM
:denied: :denied: :denied:

:skip:

LisaB
07-25-2012, 12:23 PM
The whole process was very victim-friendly. We were treated in a very supportive manner. We had a personal guard to stay with us the entire time, got to meet the warden, and were provided with water and Kleenex during the hearing. Everyone was extremely nice.

Lauren's speech was amazing, (especially considering the VERY rough draft she showed me 12 hours earlier). When they asked if I had a statement to make, I had not prepared one, believing only Lauren would be permitted to speak, but I came up with something on the fly and didn't babble too much. Afterwards, they reclassified ME as a victim too.

The support I got from friends (this means YOU!) who wrote letters to the parole commission letting them know that releasing Donnie would put other children at risk were very effective. Surprisingly, of the 30+ letters in their files, there wasn't a single one from my mom, dad, or sister, or from Lauren's dad, his mom, or his brother. I was glad I had the Websleuths people to fall back on. I guess this is when you find out who your friends are.

The Parole Commission actually told us that the letters they got weighed heavily in their decision, especially as the letter-writers included victims of similar crimes, law enforcement officers, and mental health professionals. Our taking time to appear at the hearing was also beneficial as it enabled them to put faces to our names, making us "real people" and not just characters in a story.

Donnie put on his best "sincere remorse" face, but tried to minimize the abuse saying it "only happened 20-25 times". The parole board (two men) glared at him and one of them told him that even ONE time was too many. At one point he started a sentence with "It's funny..." and he was interrupted by one of the men who informed him that there was NOTHING "funny" about any of this. I was really impressed by them.

He tried to insist we got married in 1999, but I had the marriage license and divorce decree that backed me up. We also learned that he had interviewed several lawyers upon being arrested, and his FIRST attorney wanted him to plead guilty, to spare Lauren having to testify. He'd already arranged a plea bargain, which, if taken, would have resulted in a shorter sentence, in a county jail, and he would probably be out already. He claims now that he is sorry he didn't take this deal, as Lauren was revictimized on the stand by the lawyers he eventually retained.

Ultimately, he went with Douchebag and Sleazeball, Attorneys at Law who advised him to plead "Not Guilty". They assured him that even if he WAS convicted, he would get better quality mental health assistance in a state prison. He claims he is now being medicated for "manic depression" which I assume is supported by the prison records, although I believe that particular disorder has been referred to as "bipolar" for years; long before he was incarcerated, which made me skeptical as to his claims, and the credentials of his psychiatrist, specifically with regard to concerns his knowledge may be out-of-date.

We learned that Mr. Brunstetter has been confined to his cell 3 times for (minor) rules infractions (15-20 days each time) and that he also "failed" one of his seminars because of this confinement preventing him from attending the final session.

When asked whether he had been taking advantage of the educational opportunities available to convicts, he claimed that the prison had run into trouble locating his High School diploma when he applied to take college level courses, but said it was "eventually located". I was able to explain to the panel that he had actually graduated from the high school at the mental hospital he was in at the time, but that his mom, being on the Anne Arundel County school board at the time, managed to get his diploma to say "Chesapeake High School" since the other "reflected poorly on him." So the reasons his diploma could not be located in a timely manner were his fault for trying to "play the system."

He apologized to Lauren, admitted everything (which will make it harder for him to ever claim that his "confession letter" was written under duress), and she felt relieved to hear his voice crack when he talked about recognizing the damage he'd done to her psychologically. He talked about what a pure and good person Lauren had been, and how horrible he felt to realize he had "destroyed a beautiful little soul" leaving her with trust issues and self-loathing.

I am not sure he realized that she had turned to self-injury to cope until yesterday, when many of the scars were visible (as she wore short sleeves). She believes he is remorseful for his crimes. I think he just regrets being caught and imprisoned. But if she feels satisfied, who am I to rain on her parade?

He brought up the current unemployment rates, and the Jerry Sandusky trial, probably to make it appear he was "in touch" with the "outside world." I was surprised he brought up Sandusky, but he said it had made him think about the impact of molestation upon child victims.

He told them about all the wonderful things we had done as a "family" (probably to make it seem like we were "normal" much of the time) and was informed that MANY abusive homes appear to be respectable middle-class families to the outside world. He made it VERY clear that (unlike his opinion of Dottie Sandusky) I had NO reason to have EVER suspected anything was going on. This made me feel better, as my own family has vilified me for years over this, claiming I should have known, and at times, even claiming that THEY knew (though they can not explain why the never told me or her Dad, or anyone in authority).

I went into this thinking Donnie could "win" or "lose" but that we weren't in a position to "win" or "lose" anything, just to do what we could to keep him from winning. Somehow, afterward, it really FELT as if we had won. We worked hard for this, and it paid off. We bared our souls and secrets to the world and it paid off.

I knew we could prevail with the WS membership behind us, and am so glad that this case can be used to bring positive attention to WS, and to make it very clear that, despite rumors to the contrary by detractors, we have NO sympathy for child molesters.

VICTORY!

He was asked about his plan should he be released, and stated that his mother has Alzheimers, his brother and sister live far away, but that a local couple has offered to let him stay with them upon release. The wife attended the hearing, and the parole board had a private conversation with her before she departed. He mentioned that he is good at sales, specifically floor coverings, but I suspect there would be issues with him visiting people's homes to measure rooms once he is a RCSO, so this is an untenable plan.

His current job detail is "custodian," a position he would never have taken in the real world, even to support his children, believing it was beneath him, always preferring to take advantage of others to support him and feed his addictions. I honestly think he will have difficulty finding any work upon release (he himself cited the current unemployment rates), so it may be better that he is accustomed to unpleasant, physical work, since it may be his only option.

I was somewhat concerned when he indicated that, upon release, he would like to volunteer to work with the elderly, or some animal-related cause. This disturbed me, as I feel he will have exposure to vulnerable individuals who would be helpless against him, if his intentions are less than honorable. Fortunately, we have three more years to figure out how to protect these groups from him.

HUGE THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO TOOK THE TIME TO WRITE A LETTER OR EMAIL, OR EVEN JUST SEND US POSITIVE ENERGY. SPECIAL THANKS TO KIMSTER AND TRICIA FOR MAKING CAPER A VIABLE REALITY. WITH LUCK, WE CAN KEEP OTHER PEDOPHILES FROM BEING RELEASED EARLY AS WELL.

ohiogirl
07-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Great post Lisa! Good for you and your daughter! Good luck to you.

SmoothOperator
07-28-2012, 11:28 PM
So very happy for you and Lauren.. You two definitely deserve a girls day out of pampering and relaxation!!.. I know a huge weight has been lifted from you two and again I am so happy for you and grateful you allowed us to be part of the process of keeping him behind bars.. Unlike some negative naysayers who state none of what we do/say matters or helps(and btw my advice is.. Well.. Just look at my siggy and you'll get what I mean;))..
Thanks for allowing us to help you and Lauren and I know I speak for most in that we'll do it again and again and again..just let us know when..:hug: to both you and Lauren..

:heartbeat:
Jess

LisaB
07-30-2012, 01:01 PM
We couldn't have done it alone.

If the Internet and social networking taught us anything, it’s that there’s power in the masses.
Donna Fuscaldo

There is always strength in numbers. The more individuals or organizations that you can rally to your cause, the better.
Mark Shields
American Journalist, b. 4/25/1937

The oppressed showed they could fight back – and sometimes that they could win, which above all revealed the possibility of transforming the world.
Chris Harman b. 11/1942 – d. 11/7/2009

lillygator
07-30-2012, 03:35 PM
what great news!

norest4thewicked
07-30-2012, 03:56 PM
That's wonderful news! I wrote to get this monster kept in jail! Its so good to think that something like this can help!

songline
08-02-2012, 09:51 PM
The whole process was very victim-friendly. We were treated in a very supportive manner. We had a personal guard to stay with us the entire time, got to meet the warden, and were provided with water and Kleenex during the hearing. Everyone was extremely nice.

Lauren's speech was amazing, (especially considering the VERY rough draft she showed me 12 hours earlier). When they asked if I had a statement to make, I had not prepared one, believing only Lauren would be permitted to speak, but I came up with something on the fly and didn't babble too much. Afterwards, they reclassified ME as a victim too.

The support I got from friends (this means YOU!) who wrote letters to the parole commission letting them know that releasing Donnie would put other children at risk were very effective. Surprisingly, of the 30+ letters in their files, there wasn't a single one from my mom, dad, or sister, or from Lauren's dad, his mom, or his brother. I was glad I had the Websleuths people to fall back on. I guess this is when you find out who your friends are.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>SNIPED>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

VICTORY!

GO LISA GO!!! GO LISA GO!!! GO LISA!!!

:congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

:fireworks::fireworks::fireworks:

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Richard
08-15-2012, 02:04 PM
PAROLE HAS BEEN DENIED to convicted child killer, Fred Howard Coffey Jr.

He won't be moving into the house next door any time soon.

The following is from Amanda Ray's mother:

Thank you again from the bottom of our hearts to those of you who took the time to send a letter to the parole board on Amanda's behalf.

Fred H. Coffey will remain behind bars for another three years. He will come up for possible parole again in July 2015.

I spoke with his case analyst and she assured me that she read every letter that was sent in (received over 100) and that they were each taken into consideration when making the decision.

We will need your help again in 2015 and our goal is to get MANY more than 100 letters sent... Let's send THOUSANDS!!With deepest gratitude,

Jennifer Ray

A parole review date is set for July 21, 2015

LINK:

renogirl
08-21-2012, 02:19 PM
I am so happy to hear he was denied! Wonderful news!

Lisa, you are an amazing mom and Lauren is lucky to have you. You are lucky to have her and I wish you both a lot of luck and happiness.