PDA

View Full Version : JoePa's Statue

ynotdivein
07-16-2012, 10:40 PM
What to do with the statue of JoePa?

Twindad
07-17-2012, 07:44 AM
Start an archival museum and place it with other memorabilia. Then those interested can still see it while the rest aren't forced to.

rpgman
07-17-2012, 08:08 AM
Start an archival museum and place it with other memorabilia. Then those interested can still see it while the rest aren't forced to.

Good idea

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

cityslick
07-17-2012, 08:17 AM
I've done a 180 on this. At first I was totally against taking it down but the more I think about it, I think it does have to come down. Mainly because no matter what good JoeP has brought to that university, the statue will always serve as a reminder to what wasn't done. In many ways, the statue not only represents JP, but all the higher ups who turned the other way in order to save the reputation of Penn State. JP's legacy has become this tragedy, no matter how many people want to deny it. The public at large (non-penn state alumni and fans) will now always remember JP for what he didn't do, instead of what he did for 50+ years there. For that reason, the statue must be taken down. Move it off campus, to a museum or someplace that the family can fund. If folks want to visit it they can visit it at it's new location. But sitting it at the place where all there tragedies happened and taking into account that JP is a part of allowing those tragedies to happen, means it must go.

LRinCA
07-17-2012, 10:56 AM
I have no idea if this is true or not but it comes via someone on Twitter who used to be associated with Breaking News (and might still be - I'm not sure):

Multiple Twitter reports of plane now over #PSU pulling banner reading "Take down the statue or we will."

Editing to add: I just opened up a search and there are many comments about it - including this one:

RT @collegiatestdms: There is a banner plane flying around State College telling PSU to take down the statue or "they" will do it for them. Working on a photo

Elphaba
07-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Take it down... and while I think it was appropriate to remove the halo over JoePa's head on that Penn State mural, the artist was wrong in painting a child abuse awareness ribbon on JP's jacket. Remove the ribbon... JP didn't give 2 shakes to h*ll and back about children being sexually abused under his tenure.

Sorry if I sound angry.

waltzingmatilda
07-17-2012, 11:44 AM

I agree Twindad. There will be some who would visit the archives but it should be off campus. Noone can write JP out of Penn St. history altogether, but it should located off campus. JP is deceased and no longer PSU football coach. IMO, it is disrespectful to survivors and victims and the current football coach/players for it to remain in it's current location. Maybe the P family or a wealthy benefactor will consider your suggestion.

I just don't believe in destroying someone's art unless the artist chooses to destroy it or alter it. (I am an artist:))

my opinion

wm

Elley Mae
07-17-2012, 11:45 AM
I have no idea if this is true or not but it comes via someone on Twitter who used to be associated with Breaking News (and might still be - I'm not sure):

Multiple Twitter reports of plane now over #PSU pulling banner reading "Take down the statue or we will."

Editing to add: I just opened up a search and there are many comments about it - including this one:

RT @collegiatestdms: There is a banner plane flying around State College telling PSU to take down the statue or "they" will do it for them. Working on a photo

It is true
http://www.961kiss.com/pages/freakshow.html?article=10274637

Someone has a banner flying over Penn State today that says "Take the statue down or we will"

LRinCA
07-17-2012, 12:32 PM
I just don't believe in destroying someone's art unless the artist chooses to destroy it or alter it. (I am an artist:))

You make a very good point and one that I would never have thought of had you not mentioned it. It is a piece of art and it's not like anyone would ever think of destroying Warhol's Chairman Mao painting. In fact, at one time it had a prominent place at the Art Institute in Chicago (for all I know, it still does).

Perhaps the Paterno family can put some of their energy into organizing a library similar to a presidential library (and I don't say that with tongue-in-cheek). I'm sure there are many would-be benefactors, wealthy or not, who would contribute to such a cause - and to use a parallel of sorts - even the Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum (Yorba Linda, CA) now has a Watergate gallery.

waltzingmatilda
07-17-2012, 01:12 PM
You make a very good point and one that I would never have thought of had you not mentioned it. It is a piece of art and it's not like anyone would ever think of destroying Warhol's Chairman Mao painting. In fact, at one time it had a prominent place at the Art Institute in Chicago (for all I know, it still does).

Perhaps the Paterno family can put some of their energy into organizing a library similar to a presidential library (and I don't say that with tongue-in-cheek). I'm sure there are many would-be benefactors, wealthy or not, who would contribute to such a cause - and to use a parallel of sorts - even the Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum (Yorba Linda, CA) now has a Watergate gallery.

Thank you LRinCA! I no longer have the respect for JP that I once had but we cannot rewrite/erase history. Ya know?

ynotdivein
07-17-2012, 02:36 PM
CNN article:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/17/paterno-name-removed-from-penn-state-program/?hpt=hp_t2

(snip) "I'm a Penn State employee that thinks we have failed miserably, and I'm sad for the damage that has been done, but this is just upsetting," Diane Farley, a PSU alumnus who spotted the plane on Tuesday told the Patriot-News of Harrisburg. "It's just stirring up everything." (snip)

seattlechiquita
07-17-2012, 02:39 PM
Take it down... and while I think it was appropriate to remove the halo over JoePa's head on that Penn State mural, the artist was wrong in painting a child abuse awareness ribbon on JP's jacket. Remove the ribbon... JP didn't give 2 shakes to h*ll and back about children being sexually abused under his tenure.

Sorry if I sound angry.

You can sound as angry as you'd like. JP is a pedophile enabler. I have not had one ounce of sympathy for him and hope his death was painful, excruciatingly so.
As for the statue, melt the damn thing.

Tipstaff
07-17-2012, 04:18 PM
A small airplane flying a banner re Paterno statue....

AP Photo/Centre Daily Times, Nabil K. Mark
A plane flying over the Penn State University campus in State College, pulls a banner reading "Take the statue down or we will" today.

By Mark Dent / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
JULIAN, Pa. - From about 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., a plane towing a banner that read "Take The Statue Down or We Will" flew above State College, apparently sending a message to the Penn State administration about the Joe Paterno statue outside of Beaver Stadium.
The plane is owned by Air America Aerial Ads, a limited liability company based in Toledo, Ohio, according to its FAA registration.
Before the tail number could be identified by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Air America owner Jim Miller said the plane did not belong to him. Later calls to Miller and a company spokesperson were not immediately returned. Miller's company has flown sports-related banners before, including an anti-Tiger Woods banner at the 2010 Masters.
The pilot of the plane declined to identify himself, his company or to speak about the flight. The plane took off and landed at Ridge Soaring Gliderport in Julian.
The gliderport's owner, Tom Knauff, said his airport had no kno

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/psu/plane-banner-sends-message-to-psu-brass-about-paterno-statue-645043/#ixzz20ufNvaIb

Concerned Papa
07-17-2012, 07:46 PM
The statue needs to come down, but not with an implied threat like this:

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad257/Papa813_bucket/PaternoStatueDown.jpg

BigCat
07-17-2012, 08:02 PM
Penn State President Rodney Erickson: Decision about Joe Paterno statue in 7 to 10 days

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/07/17/3264291/penn-state-president-rodney-erickson.html

back2back19
07-17-2012, 08:20 PM
They should take it down. Beyond that, I have no idea. I love twindad's idea of an archival museum though.

But I don't think PSU will do anything or if they do, it'll be because of public pressure and not because it's the right thing to do, which will just negate the whole thing.

Also, IA with the poster that said the artist should paint over that blue ribbon in the JoePa painting. It's offensive and insulting. He may have supported the cause in words(or money, no clue there) but when he had the chance to do something, he chose to take no action and to let it continue.

SapphireSteel
07-17-2012, 08:56 PM
I heard they're going to keep the statue.

They're just going to turn it a bit so it can look the other way.

PHB
07-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Pull It down. Take his name off the buildings. Find some way to fire Mike McQueary and the janitor who witnessed a little boy getting raped and did not intervene. And other collegiate sports programs have recieved the NCAA's "death penalty" for far less egregious actions (or, in PSU's case, INaction), so I think that is appropriate, too.
JMO

IzzyBlanche
07-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Pull It down. Take his name off the buildings. Find some way to fire Mike McQueary and the janitor who witnessed a little boy getting raped and did not intervene. And other collegiate sports programs have recieved the NCAA's "death penalty" for far less egregious actions (or, in PSU's case, INaction), so I think that is appropriate, too.
JMO

They already did. Ooops I mean his contract wasn't renewed, and he is filing a whistleblower lawsuit.

From link below:

McQueary testified that he saw Sandusky assault a boy in the shower of a Penn State locker room in 2001 and told Paterno. McQueary’s employment with Penn State ended with his June 30 contract expiration, Erickson said.

http://triblive.com/news/2197583-74/state-university-penn-board-sandusky-trustees-erickson-mcqueary-report-former

J. J. in Phila
07-18-2012, 12:25 AM
The Centre Daily Times has called for the statue to be removed:

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/07/17/3263422/remove-the-statue-and-paint-over.html#storylink=omni_popular#wgt=pop

IzzyBlanche
07-18-2012, 12:49 AM
The Centre Daily Times has called for the statue to be removed:

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/07/17/3263422/remove-the-statue-and-paint-over.html#storylink=omni_popular#wgt=pop

The really sad part?

The comments that follow this article with all their outrage at the CDT's stance. :what:

Not directed at you, J.J. Just jumping off.

ETA: Back after reading further: Good grief. The Joepologists wouldn't recognize logic if it hit them in the face with a wet dishrag.

The JP cultists are actually starting to scare me, at least a little.

Elphaba
07-18-2012, 01:40 AM
The really sad part?

The comments that follow this article with all their outrage at the CDT's stance. :what:

Not directed at you, J.J. Just jumping off.

ETA: Back after reading further: Good grief. The Joepologists wouldn't recognize logic if it hit them in the face with a wet dishrag.

The JP cultists are actually starting to scare me, at least a little.

Some of the JoePa supporters have lost sight to the point that they are acting like the man is some kind of untouchable god. It's horribly sad and sickening...

Elphaba
07-18-2012, 01:48 AM
I ponder who "WE" is, on the banner.

How much you want to bet that that statue has around the clock protection, now.

cityslick
07-18-2012, 08:10 AM
Seeing the reaction to when this all came down, rallies on the guy's front yard, riots in the streets, etc., I would be concerned about the local reaction if they did in fact take it down. There is a cult like following for JP at State College (I saw one comment to an article say that 'JP was a man, not a God', which to me is ironic because for years and year JP has been treated like a God there) and you can bet there will be a huge pushback if they remove the statue. It's mentioned above they would move it not because it's the right thing to do, but due to public pressure. JP supporters would probably agree and that would inflame them even more.

Elley Mae
07-18-2012, 08:32 AM
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20120718_Sculptor_of_Paterno_statue__would_go_alon g_with_any_just_decision_.html

Sculptor of Paterno statue 'would go along with any just decision'

Cappuccino
07-18-2012, 08:41 AM
I think that statue has to come down. Any further pandering to the personality cult around Joe Paterno after the Freeh report is unjustifiable. Paterno wasn't a flawed hero, he was a selfish old fool who enabled a paedophile in order to protect a football programme, then negotiated a fat pay off for himself when it could be covered up no longer. He doesn't deserve a statue, his legacy is shameful.

justathought
07-18-2012, 10:08 AM
Surely Penn State has an athletic/football memorial hall. If they don't build one tracing the football history either separately or along with other sports. Remove the statute to temporary storage. Subsequently, if deemed appropriate depending on what else comes out, etc. ,then an option could be to have the statue inside....that way fans who want to recall Paterno's greateness as a coach can. The ones who don't can pass it by. But folks going to the games won't be forced to see it. The move would buy the BOT trustees time to ponder future actions....

songline
07-18-2012, 10:56 AM
Airplane banner tells Penn State: Take Joe Paterno statue down
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...no-statue-down

I have said this before,
I think the boys that were harmed should be banging this statue down and have it televised.
It would be a site similar to the Saddam hanging and the people throwing things.

J. J. in Phila
07-18-2012, 01:31 PM
I said it before. Yes, Paterno had some accomplishments and did a lot of good, but that does not outweigh the bad.

Move the statue, either near the Library or, preferably, outside the window to the President's Office. Let it be a reminder.

costalpilot
07-18-2012, 02:14 PM
just reported on ESPN (SEC media days show) that Penn State announced they will make a decision on the Paterno statute in 7 to 10 days.

( well to me that means they are going to do something with it..otherwise, why make an announcement that you are going to make an announcement....they are softening up the faityhful. get ready).

also the same news bit said thaqt Spanier has dropped his lawsuit against Penn State.....wonder what he sued them for?

waltzingmatilda
07-18-2012, 02:25 PM
just reported on ESPN (SEC media days show) that Penn State announced they will make a decision on the Paterno statute in 7 to 10 days.

( well to me that means they are going to do something with it..otherwise, why make an announcement that you are going to make an announcement....they are softening up the faityhful. get ready).

also the same news bit said thaqt Spanier has dropped his lawsuit against Penn State.....wonder what he sued them for?

IIRC he was sueing for the emails.

BigCat
07-18-2012, 03:00 PM

If they're going to take it down, I'm sure they'll want to do it before the students return for fall semester.

Pensfan
07-18-2012, 04:12 PM
I ponder who "WE" is, on the banner.

How much you want to bet that that statue has around the clock protection, now.
Yeah, it has round the clock protection......by TWO people. Notice that the article spins that numerous people are "protecting" the statue. In ONE place in the article, it mentions that it is only two people. I'd be willing to bet that these are not students as the article suggests.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/penn-state-students-camp-protect-joe-paterno-statue-beaver-stadium-article-1.1116986

The article also spins incorrect facts about "Paternoville". The STUDENT organizers changed the name to Nittanyville.
http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/18/penn-states-paternoville-to-become-nittanyville/

norest4thewicked
07-18-2012, 05:57 PM
I think that if they don't tear it down, it will be torn down. They can't afford to guard it indefinitely.

On another note, I heard that when Sandusky was being into his new home in prison, the inmates serenaded him with lyrics from Pink Floyd's The Wall - Teachers leave them kids alone! Hey! Teachers! Leave them kids alone! Sadly, I'm sure he will remain in protective custody for his entire sentence.

Peazzzer
07-18-2012, 06:32 PM
I like to think the WE in the banner is all of us adults who have survived being molested as a child. :) I would be so happy to knock the head off that statue by myself!!!

IzzyBlanche
07-18-2012, 10:13 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah!

(Is there an applause smiley?)

From link:

Penn State has said it will make a decision soon on whether it will allow the statue of Joe Paterno to stay or go. But, really now, how long should it take a university to determine if it wants to keep a statue honoring the man who willingly allowed a child rapist to roam its football facility with the boys he victimized for 13 years?

Penn State's so-called leaders should have made this decision as soon as they read the Louis Freeh Report last Thursday. Their wait has been agonizing; their paralysis embarrassing. As their inaction drags on, hour by frustrating hour, it's becoming crystal clear why the Jerry Sandusky scandal happened at Penn State:

There apparently is no one in a position of power at Penn State who isn't under the spell of Nittany Lions football — back then, and even now.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/brennan/story/2012-07-18/penn-state-leaders-sandusky-paterno-statue-lack-of-action/56321182/1

lonetraveler
07-18-2012, 10:51 PM
I heard they're going to keep the statue.

They're just going to turn it a bit so it can look the other way.

Sad to hear that. I think it is a total slap in the face for his statute to sit there for all to see and to remember what happened or didn't happen. Take it down and remove it from anyone's view.

Pensfan
07-18-2012, 10:52 PM
I think that if they don't tear it down, it will be torn down. They can't afford to guard it indefinitely.

On another note, I heard that when Sandusky was being into his new home in prison, the inmates serenaded him with lyrics from Pink Floyd's The Wall - Teachers leave them kids alone! Hey! Teachers! Leave them kids alone! Sadly, I'm sure he will remain in protective custody for his entire sentence.

Nobody is guarding the statue. Sorry, I was joking in that post. The article states that two students? pitched a tent near the statue. I doubt that the pitched tent remained there very long. I also doubt that any students took a tent with them to college and the vast majority of students at PSU would purchase beer instead of a tent if they had cash, so the tent dwellers probably aren't students, in my worthless opinion.

Pensfan
07-18-2012, 10:54 PM
Sad to hear that. I think it is a total slap in the face for his stature to sit there for all to see and to remember what happened or didn't happen. Take it down and remove it from anyone's view.

That was a joke. JoePa "turned the other way".

I think they should sell the statue on Ebay and use the proceeds to somehow start an investigation of what Sandusky did INSIDE The Second Mile and also on the admins at that facility. There are a lot more victims of Jerry (according to all the studies on fixated pedophiles) and they deserve justice. Some may be mentally disabled and can't speak for themselves (TSM had treatment programs for all types of children).

lonetraveler
07-18-2012, 10:54 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah!

(Is there an applause smiley?)

From link:

Penn State has said it will make a decision soon on whether it will allow the statue of Joe Paterno to stay or go. But, really now, how long should it take a university to determine if it wants to keep a statue honoring the man who willingly allowed a child rapist to roam its football facility with the boys he victimized for 13 years?

Penn State's so-called leaders should have made this decision as soon as they read the Louis Freeh Report last Thursday. Their wait has been agonizing; their paralysis embarrassing. As their inaction drags on, hour by frustrating hour, it's becoming crystal clear why the Jerry Sandusky scandal happened at Penn State:

There apparently is no one in a position of power at Penn State who isn't under the spell of Nittany Lions football — back then, and even now.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/brennan/story/2012-07-18/penn-state-leaders-sandusky-paterno-statue-lack-of-action/56321182/1

I totally agree. It is not surprising to me that it is taking so long for this decision. Look at the inaction and indecision on the abuse of the victims of Jerry Sandusky? How many victims would have been saved if Joe Paterno had acted on the behalf of the innocent little boys instead of in the interest of the football program?

lonetraveler
07-18-2012, 10:58 PM

I have to question why it would take so long to make this decision. Actually, why would the decision have been made to put the statute there to begin with???

Pensfan
07-18-2012, 11:13 PM
I have to question why it would take so long to make this decision. Actually, why would the decision have been made to put the statute there to begin with???

The statue is in near the football stadium where he coached for 46 years. I would imagine that the decision involves the large board of control and it will require a vote to remove the statue. I don't know the rules requiring votes by the board, but I'll guess that a vote by the BOC can't occur over the telephone and a specific number of trustees must actually be in attendance at a meeting to vote. The agenda for such meeting also has to be posted in advance.

BigCat
07-19-2012, 01:26 AM
That was a joke. JoePa "turned the other way".

I think they should sell the statue on Ebay and use the proceeds to somehow start an investigation of what Sandusky did INSIDE The Second Mile and also on the admins at that facility. There are a lot more victims of Jerry (according to all the studies on fixated pedophiles) and they deserve justice. Some may be mentally disabled and can't speak for themselves (TSM had treatment programs for all types of children).

Why not post your speculations about the Second Mile in the Second Mile thread? No need to hijack the other threads.

azwriter
07-19-2012, 02:04 AM
If the NC2A makes a decision to put Penn State football on hold, they won't need to move the statue. No one will be going into the football stadium, anyway.
However, I think the statue should be removed and returned to the artist who created it. Let's not see any violence or mob scene to remove it. Cool heads need to prevail now. Just get it out of the way.

jmO

StellarsJay
07-19-2012, 12:36 PM
I just changed my vote from "move the statue (to the Athletic Museum)" to "melt it down and donate the scrap value to victims" because of a caption in a photo story saying when it was erected:

February 2001: Paterno and Curley agree on going easy on Sandusky.

October 7, 2001: Recovering from a slump, Paterno became the winningest coach in NCAA Division I-A history after a 29-27 victory over Ohio State on Oct. 7. Paterno passed legendary Alabama coach Paul "Bear" Bryant with 324 career victories.

November 2 2001- Statue is erected.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0910/joe.paterno.rare.photos/content.13.html

IzzyBlanche
07-19-2012, 11:54 PM
Give us the statue, Penn State. Take it down, and do it now.

What about this don't you understand? Seven months ago the school fired Joe Paterno for not doing enough -- barely doing anything, really -- during the previous decade to stop longtime assistant Jerry Sandusky from molesting kids. Eight days ago Penn State released its own commissioned report on the Sandusky scandal, a report that focused on blame for the cover-up and concluded it lay heavily with Joe Paterno.

And still the statue stands. At Penn State. Outside the football stadium where Jerry Sandusky worked for 30 years, where he built up his name, his reputation, to the point that he was a celebrity around State College. Sandusky used Penn State football to win over parents, get access to their kids, take them to campus or his basement and do unspeakable things.

And still the statue stands.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/19616471/end-the-madness-penn-state-and-give-us-paternos-statue

IzzyBlanche
07-20-2012, 01:47 AM
From link:

As much as I have come to abhor Joe Paterno's indifference and arrogance and self-serving loyalty (to himself and his image and his stupid little football program), I fail to see how digging out a statue does anything but conflict with (what should be) one of the most important elements of higher education: Open and honest and intelligent dialogue. Were I in command of this decision, not only would I make certain the statue stays, I'd surround it with flood lights and fireworks and hire Flavor Flav to hype its very presence. "Come one, come all! Camp out! Bring classmates! Observe the bronze Joe Paterno! Debate away!"

Truth be told, the last thing we (and Penn State) should be doing right now is trying to hide and forget what happened. Bronze Joe Paterno needs to remain, because we need to talk about this. We need to discuss ways to stop child abuse. We need to discuss the courage it takes to step forward, especially when it's significantly easier to remain silent. We need to discuss the goals of college.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/19/opinion/pearlman-paterno-statue/index.html

IzzyBlanche
07-20-2012, 01:48 AM
A somewhat O/T remark about the statue.

Am I the only one who's noticed that its likeness to JP isn't all that great?

ETA If I weren't a complete Luddite and therefore knew Photoshop and stuff, I would post side by sides of photographs and the statue.

costalpilot
07-20-2012, 04:13 AM
what woulod be wrong about commissioning the statutes of several small boys to be placed behind joepas statute? lest they forget

Tipstaff
07-20-2012, 07:50 AM
what woulod be wrong about commissioning the statutes of several small boys to be placed behind joepas statute? lest they forget

Would kind of creep me out CP........kind of like little kids following him. Maybe get rid of JP statue and then several statues of small boys. Jo gotta go.

BigCat
07-20-2012, 11:23 AM
I think the statue is coming down sooner rather than later. Maybe this weekend. The university can't keep taking hits like the one below in the national media.

End the madness, Penn State, and give us Paterno's statue

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/19616471/end-the-madness-penn-state-and-give-us-paternos-statue

So give us the statue, Penn State. Take it down because at this point, all you can do for the world is to acknowledge that something went terribly wrong within your football program. And every second that the statue stands with its acid-churning words -- "Joe Paterno ... humanitarian" -- is another second that we think, no we know, you still don't get it.

Mama-cita
07-20-2012, 12:53 PM
I don't know whether it has been substantiated but an NFL reporter out of NY tweeted that the university is planning to remove the statue this weekend. I will try to find the link. I saw it on the Drudge Report but can't figure out how to link it off my iPhone.
ETA here is a link from
FoxSports: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/07/20/penn-state-reportedly-plans-to-remove-paterno-statue/

BigCat
07-20-2012, 01:07 PM
Here are some "tweets" from reporter Bonnie Bernstein

http://twitter.com/BonnieBernstein

Source: Penn State Board of Trustees voted on a conference call last night to take down Joe Paterno statue. Will happen this wknd

MT @lauraolson: PSU BOT's Anthony Lubrano: administration has asked for input on JoePa statue decision. Not aware of any final decision

costalpilot
07-20-2012, 02:01 PM
mixed reports...must mean something...id say its coming down soon

http://tracking.si.com/2012/07/20/penn-state-take-down-joe-paterno-statue/

Elley Mae
07-20-2012, 02:22 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/07/20/penn-state-reportedly-plans-to-remove-paterno-statue/

Penn State reportedly plans to remove Paterno statue this weekend

Cappuccino
07-20-2012, 02:35 PM
Better late than never.

IzzyBlanche
07-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Students rioting in 3,2,1...

Reader
07-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Joe Paterno Statue: If It Comes Down, Don't Stand in the Way

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1264805-penn-state-scandal-in-order-to-prevent-another-jerry-sandusky-empower-victims#/articles/1266315-joe-paterno-statue-if-it-comes-down-dont-stand-in-the-way

The beloved Joe Paterno statue—long a fixture of Penn State's Beaver Stadium and a rallying point for students and fans during the last few tumultuous months—may be coming down this weekend. Maybe.

Reports from several sources, including NFL Network's Kimberly Jones and broadcaster Bonnie Bernstein, indicated that the Penn State Board of Trustees decided over a recent conference call that the statue should be removed this weekend...........

That being said, if he's lying, that may be the only way to get the statue down without a massive disruption taking place, because if there's anything Penn State fanatics have demonstrated over the past few months, it's that a small but significant minority of them will absolutely lose their minds over the statue coming down...............

But if the powers that be say the statue has to come down, as an adult (you are adults, right?), you have to abide by that decision. So please do that instead of turning a sad situation ugly. Please.

costalpilot
07-20-2012, 07:22 PM
the students will undoubtedly express their dissatisfacion. as soon as word got out that stalinization was under attack, riots broke out in various eastern europen countries

Reader
07-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Report: Penn State president to make decision on Paterno statue this weekend

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/19621214/report-penn-state-trustee-says-no-vote-taken-to-remove-paterno-statue

..........If there was a conference call, however, it's news to the Penn State board.

Penn State board member Ryan McCombie told Laura Nichols that the Penn State board "did no such thing." A second board member, Anthony Lubrano, says no vote has taken place and that the decision to remove the statue would be the school administration's, not the board of trustees.

Lubrano's assertion is backed up by another report from ESPN's Outside The Lines.

According to that report, the decision to remove the statue or leave it will not be left to the school's board of trustees. Instead Penn State president Rodney Erickson will decide whether or not the Paterno statue will be removed, and his decision is expected some time in the next 72 hours.

More at link....

eileenhawkeye
07-21-2012, 04:11 PM
I think President Obama needs to go on national TV and say, "Governor Corbett, tear down this statue!"

BigCat
07-21-2012, 06:06 PM
I think President Obama needs to go on national TV and say, "Governor Corbett, tear down this statue!"

Only if he wants to lose PA in November.

Cortne
07-21-2012, 06:29 PM
Id like to see it be brought down by any means possible. Just be gone.

jmo

RR0004
07-21-2012, 08:06 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/07/20/penn-state-reportedly-plans-to-remove-paterno-statue/

Penn State reportedly plans to remove Paterno statue this weekend
I, for one, am terribly saddened by this. Sorry if it's not a popular opinion...but it just does.

raeann
07-21-2012, 08:18 PM
There are beautiful little side garden, tree lined areas outside of the Penn State library. The statue or better yet, another art piece of the Paterno family choosing, could eventually be placed into one of those areas quietly. For now, though, it needs to be placed into storage if for no other reason than the prevention of vandalism. Then the school can save more bad PR and take all the time they need to decide the appropriateness of any future display.

jmo

IzzyBlanche
07-21-2012, 10:06 PM
I, for one, am terribly saddened by this. Sorry if it's not a popular opinion...but it just does.

Respectfully, why? I'm sincerely interested in your opposing viewpoint.

wfgodot
07-21-2012, 10:26 PM
There are beautiful little side garden, tree lined areas outside of the Penn State library. The statue or better yet, another art piece of the Paterno family choosing, could eventually be placed into one of those areas quietly. For now, though, it needs to be placed into storage if for no other reason than the prevention of vandalism. Then the school can save more bad PR and take all the time they need to decide the appropriateness of any future display.

jmo
Why would it be more appropriate by the library? (I know the Paternos donated much money to that facility, but still.) He covered for a child molester and allowed the situation to proliferate. It's appropriate nowhere. It should be disassembled (Joe himself dissembled well) and tossed. None of this "oh, poor little Penn State, take your time, hon." The stain of the inaction spread campus-wide.

J. J. in Phila
07-21-2012, 10:28 PM

jmo

I agree. Paterno did a lot of good, off the football field. It does not outweigh the bad, but it mitigates the bad a bit. He earned that prominence that justified the statue be placed, but he lost most of it by not reporting Victim 2.

RR0004
07-22-2012, 01:25 AM
Respectfully, why? I'm sincerely interested in your opposing viewpoint.
Lots of reasons...too numerous to get into at this hour...but if I had to pick one...I'm sad for the students there. I know many would like to see it stay.

Concerned Papa
07-22-2012, 07:21 AM
It looks like it's coming down today:

From The Associated Press Twitter feed a few minutes ago:

The Associated Press ‏@AP

BREAKING: Penn State says the statue of famed coach Joe Paterno is coming down from outside stadium.

From a TV station in Altoona, PA:

WTAJ NEWS

BREAKING: Crews have arrived to begin the removal of the Paterno statue. We have a crew there, will update with pictures. Stay with us all day for the latest.

J. J. in Phila
07-22-2012, 07:29 AM
Statue to be removed and stored. - CNN

Concerned Papa
07-22-2012, 07:40 AM
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad257/Papa813_bucket/PaternoStatueDown-1.jpg

Penn State President Rodney Erickson Issues Statement as Removal of Joe Paterno Statue Begins

http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/penn-state-president-rodney-erickson-issues-statement-as-removal-of-joe-paterno-statue-begins-1096098/

Elley Mae
07-22-2012, 07:46 AM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_PENN_STATE_ABUSE_STATUE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-07-22-07-05-27

Penn State president orders Paterno statue removal

Tipstaff
07-22-2012, 08:08 AM
AP story is saying that the statue is covered in a blue tarp..........covered in shame? Maybe it should stay that way for a few days.

Tipstaff
07-22-2012, 08:29 AM
At www.charlotteobserver.com they had up a live webcam and you could see and here what was going on. (over the blue tarped fence)

The wrapped statue was cut down, laid over and then taken away on a tractor or some type of equipment.

Some observers could be heard exclaiming "We are Penn State".

costalpilot
07-22-2012, 08:58 AM
i really do hate to say this, and i believe they were going to take it down anyway, but it is a propitious time to take the thing down, considering the depressive effect the batman shooting has had in the country. the students might think twice about expending a lot of energy over this issue at this sad time.

raeann
07-22-2012, 09:46 AM
Why would it be more appropriate by the library? (I know the Paternos donated much money to that facility, but still.) He covered for a child molester and allowed the situation to proliferate. It's appropriate nowhere. It should be disassembled (Joe himself dissembled well) and tossed. None of this "oh, poor little Penn State, take your time, hon." The stain of the inaction spread campus-wide.

That's why I believe another art piece placed by the family would be far more appropriate. That way the family can view it as a memorial if that is what they want it to be, but the public can have the comfort of simply seeing a attractive out door art piece or fountain or whatever might be chosen. This would mean NO PLAQUE or dedication ceremony. They obviously donated money for a library...that's great, good in its own way....but other than that, its time to dismantle and debunk the saintly image.

jmo

raeann
07-22-2012, 09:56 AM
i really do hate to say this, and i believe they were going to take it down anyway, but it is a propitious time to take the thing down, considering the depressive effect the batman shooting has had in the country. the students might think twice about expending a lot of energy over this issue at this sad time.

IMO

Unfortunately, the decision is NOT tied to respect for a national tragedy at all. The decision is purely in preparation for what they already know is going to happen tomorrow....the NCAA sanctions against Penn State are scheduled to be announced THE DAY AFTER the statue is removed. It seems obvious the news is not going to be good, and the administration already knows what is coming.

jmo

elmomom
07-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Such a relief that it is finally gone. I just hope we don't start seeing big protests taking hold. I've heard just about enough of pro Paterno BS to last a lifetime (I live in PA).

dog.gone.cute
07-22-2012, 10:09 AM
It looks like it's coming down today:

From The Associated Press Twitter feed a few minutes ago:

The Associated Press ‏@AP

BREAKING: Penn State says the statue of famed coach Joe Paterno is coming down from outside stadium.

From a TV station in Altoona, PA:

WTAJ NEWS

BREAKING: Crews have arrived to begin the removal of the Paterno statue. We have a crew there, will update with pictures. Stay with us all day for the latest.

:seeya: Thanks for this update !

JMO and MOO ... but A M E N !

The statue should be removed !

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

J. J. in Phila
07-22-2012, 12:08 PM
Legacy protection never works.

You are seeing the result of trying.

Tipstaff
07-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Legacy protection never works.

You are seeing the result of trying.

After 2 or 3 days of fighting back after the release of the investigative report being made public, the Paterno family has been quiet for the last 4 or 5 days.

Wonder what the response will be after today with the statue coming down and then tomorrow after the NCAA sanctions as it appears the NCAA is using the Freeh report as it's investigative tool?

LNL
07-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Such a relief that it is finally gone. I just hope we don't start seeing big protests taking hold. I've heard just about enough of pro Paterno BS to last a lifetime (I live in PA).
I could not agree more. I too live in PA and enough is enough.

Never understood the infatuation.

Tipstaff
07-22-2012, 01:31 PM
Pennlive.com has a comment from Paterno family saying that taking down the statue doesn't serve the Sandusky victims. They also go on to say that Joe Paterno has not received due process.

elmomom
07-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Pennlive.com has a comment from Paterno family saying that taking down the statue doesn't serve the Sandusky victims. They also go on to say that Joe Paterno has not received due process.

I just read their comments, and I am furious. Who in hell are THEY to speak for what is right for the victims?
Enough of them, I wish that whenever they open their mouths, no one shows up to hear what crap comes out.

Tipstaff
07-22-2012, 01:50 PM
I just read their comments, and I am furious. Who in hell are THEY to speak for what is right for the victims?
Enough of them, I wish that whenever they open their mouths, no one shows up to hear what crap comes out.

AS J.J. posted above "legacy protection never works". The commenting by the Paterno family after each significant finding or incident is driving public opinion in a very negative way. The whole world is watching and out of the community of Penn State people just are not buying the spin.

songline
07-22-2012, 02:12 PM
Statue of Joe Paterno taken down
:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

La la la La la la La la la La la la :)

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Statue-of-famed-Penn-State-coach-Joe-Paterno-taken-down-072212

I wish it was taken down by those who were offended as boys, and televised.
A sight like Saddam Husain.

songline
07-22-2012, 02:17 PM

It does serves the poor kids / now men who got used by the pig and coverd up by his boss.

IMO the family is very embarked :blushing: :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:
and humiliated, they have to cover their arz somehow.

wish they had some courage and humility. but NO chickens like JOE.

OilPainter
07-22-2012, 02:35 PM

God in Heaven. When will Sue and Company go away?

They're like the Kardashians.

Just as trashy but in a different way.

IzzyBlanche
07-22-2012, 03:10 PM

I totally agree. They need to try, just once, to demonstrate some class and dignity by shutting their pieholes.

Reader
07-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Statue of famed Penn St. coach Paterno taken down

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CDA05V5GO1%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=1013&page=1

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) — The famed statue of Joe Paterno was taken down from outside the Penn State football stadium Sunday as the NCAA announced it would be issuing sanctions against the university whose top officials were accused in a scathing report of burying child sex abuse allegations against a now-convicted retired assistant.

Workers lifted the 7-foot-tall statue off its base and used a forklift to move it into Beaver Stadium as the 100 to 150 students watched, some chanting, "We are Penn State."...........

The Paterno family issued a statement only hours later saying the statue's removal "does not serve the victims of Jerry Sandusky's horrible crimes or help heal the Penn State community."............Paterno's widow, Sue, and two of the Paternos' children visited the statue Friday as students and fans lined up to get their pictures taken with the landmark. The statue, weighing more than 900 pounds, was built in 2001 in honor of Paterno's record-setting 324th Division I coaching victory and his "contributions to the university."............

Penn State President Rod Erickson said he decided to have the statue removed and put into storage because it "has become a source of division and an obstacle to healing."

"I believe that, were it to remain, the statue will be a recurring wound to the multitude of individuals across the nation and beyond who have been the victims of child abuse," Erickson said in a statement.

Construction vehicles and police arrived shortly after dawn Sunday, barricading the street and sidewalks near the statue, erecting a chain-link fence then concealing the statue with a blue tarp. Workers then used jackhammers to free the statue and a forklift to lower it onto a flat-bed truck that rolled into stadium garage bay about 100 feet away.............Dozens later gathered to watch and listen to the sound of sawing, scraping and shoveling as white-helmeted workers behind tarpaulins removed Paterno's name and various plaques from the walls behind where the statue had stood. Shortly before midday, all that appeared to remain was the bare concrete and stone.

The university president said Paterno's name will remain on the campus library because it "symbolizes the substantial and lasting contributions to the academic life and educational excellence that the Paterno family has made to Penn State University."............

Reader
07-22-2012, 03:43 PM
That's why I believe another art piece placed by the family would be far more appropriate. That way the family can view it as a memorial if that is what they want it to be, but the public can have the comfort of simply seeing a attractive out door art piece or fountain or whatever might be chosen. This would mean NO PLAQUE or dedication ceremony. They obviously donated money for a library...that's great, good in its own way....but other than that, its time to dismantle and debunk the saintly image.

jmo

I'm sorry but I don't think the family has any right to put anything else there in place of the statue. None of them are associated with the school anymore, except to receive benefits from JP's retirement. The school should decide if anything and what else will be put there, NOT the Paternos. Enough of their control...we see where it led to before and how grasping and deluded they are acting now... enough!

Elphaba
07-22-2012, 03:43 PM
It's down... good! It is one less nasty unsanitary bandaid covering a moral wound that needs the fresh air to heal.

LaLaw2000
07-22-2012, 04:09 PM
I have commented very little in all of this, but I just have to now say that I am glad the statue has come down.

Paterno was no God. He was not perfect. None of us are. He was elevated to the status of being a God-like character by the love of football. He was made into a celebrity by those who love football. He could do no wrong in so many eyes.

Paterno had character flaws even all during those winning years. Where was his outrage for child victims? Where was his sense of right and wrong? It just simply wasn't there. End of story. Paterno protected a criminal of the worst kind, IMO. He deserves no statue or reverence. He was no God. I would say Paterno was very lacking in the morals department.

Let's take the Paterno name out of this and put it in general terms. What would you think of any person protecting a pedophile to the point where the crimes were let to go on many, many years when it could have been stopped? This person could have acted swiftly and other victims would have been spared. How could a person love a game more than small, innocent human beings who were already living life at a disadvantage and were vulnerable?

It is a no-brainer to me. Paterno was no hero. He was not a good, moral man who should have been a role model for our college students, IMO, and he sure as h3ll did not deserve a statue in his honor. Now the Paterno family is suffering from this same God-like frame of mind. They would do better to just be quiet instead of fighting for the honor of a family member who clearly had none. IMO.

Okay, I have said my peace now.

MOO's

Reader
07-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Is Penn State Scandal Just Getting Started?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1267992-is-penn-state-scandal-just-getting-started

Excerpt:

These thoughts in mind, is Penn State moving swiftly so it can begin the process of healing? Or is the university moving to brush the scandal under the rug, i.e. swiftly removing Paterno’s statue and accepting ‘unprecedented’ NCAA punishment?

Furthermore, what else does Penn State know that the public does not? Could it be that the Paterno family—now pushed into a corner—are now willing and ready to let multiple cats out of the bag: cats the university does not want released?

Who knows?

But from Freeh’s report, combined with Erickson’s statement and the Paterno family’s rebuttal, one thing becomes crystal clear.

The Penn State scandal may not be coming to an end.

It may just be getting started.

BigCat
07-22-2012, 05:45 PM
Is Penn State Scandal Just Getting Started?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1267992-is-penn-state-scandal-just-getting-started

Excerpt:

I heard one commentator on the radio say that the "Paterno's know where the bodies are buried". I'm sure he meant that figuratively, but it still gave me the creeps.

J. J. in Phila
07-22-2012, 06:30 PM
I heard one commentator on the radio say that the "Paterno's know where the bodies are buried". I'm sure he meant that figuratively, but it still gave me the creeps.

Maybe that's why they didn't want to move the statue. Who knows what's under there. ;)

J. J. in Phila
07-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Thus passes all vanities:

http://onwardstate.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Screen-shot-2012-07-22-at-11.58.03-AM.png

ynotdivein
07-22-2012, 08:48 PM

http://onwardstate.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Screen-shot-2012-07-22-at-11.58.03-AM.png

Oh dear. Did they also take down the backup players? And the "JoePa....Humanitarian" words too???

ThoughtFox
07-22-2012, 08:50 PM

I was shocked that they even took down the plaques of the football players. They want the whole thing gone down to the concrete.

And good riddance, in my opinion. Joe Pa has gotten in the way of things much too long, literally and emotionally. The Freeh Report made that clear.

JMOO

ThoughtFox
07-22-2012, 08:54 PM
Joe Paterno Statue Removed - YouTube

Twitter Reaction on Philly.com
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/pattisonave/163336786.html

From Centre Daily News
By 7:45 a.m. this morning, jackhammers rattled behind a metal fence covered by a blue tarp. The statue was tied to a forklift. The fence shielded the statue, covered in clear plastic and protective packaging materials.

The statue was removed at 8:24 a.m. The forklift carried it into the stadium's Gate A as about a dozen workers followed.

A moment later, a man in the crowd started a "We are Penn State" chant. After it finished, another man yelled, "We love you, Joe."

An hour later, Penn State workers began removing lettering and plaques from the wall behind where the statue stood.

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/07/22/3268799/penn-state-police-surround-joe.html#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy

StellarsJay
07-22-2012, 10:05 PM
http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/joe-paterno-statue-removed-and-taken-inside-beaver-stadium-1096098/
Young writers, good article.

BuzzieCat
07-22-2012, 10:06 PM
I wonder if maybe they took the football players off the wall in anticipation of the NCAA sanctions that are supposed to be announced on Monday. Maybe they are thinking they won't have much of a football program for a while so it'd be kind of weird to have the players up there.

IzzyBlanche
07-22-2012, 10:41 PM
I think they decided to just dismantle the whole thing. The statue, the players, the quote from Paterno. I don't think it has anything to do with the NCAA; in fact I believe I read that the NCAA announced it is handing down sanctions tomorrow AFTER the statue was taken down.

Of course, someone at PSU might have been alerted to that before the announcement was made.

IzzyBlanche
07-22-2012, 10:44 PM
http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/joe-paterno-statue-removed-and-taken-inside-beaver-stadium-1096098/
Young writers, good article.

Excellent point from article (BBM) and I agree with him wholeheartedly: PSU has a lonnnnnnnnnng way to go :

"It's not for me to judge the rightness or the wrongness of it," said Barnes, whose wife, Gayle, was one of 12 jurors who sent Jerry Sandusky to jail for life last month. "But I feel a bit betrayed because it's another mididle-of-the-night move.

"If this is the new transparency, I think we have a long, long, long way to go to try to restore the faith of the community, the world and the Penn State alumni."

JurysOut
07-22-2012, 10:49 PM
These guys are good.
http://onwardstate.com/

I followed them on twitter since November. They try hard to be unbiased. Good stuff.

Some of the best I've seen.

ETA: I'm a PSU employee.

IzzyBlanche
07-22-2012, 11:01 PM
These guys are good.
http://onwardstate.com/

I followed them on twitter since November. They try hard to be unbiased. Good stuff.

Some of the best I've seen.

ETA: I'm a PSU employee.

Seems like everyone is trying so hard to look out for the victims. The comments below were posted after the article "Possible penalties for Penn State":

"Don't let Sandysky's poor victims feel guilt over NCAA sanctions against Penn State!" :what:

"The amazing thing is that hurting Penn State may even hurt them. From what I've read, the men who were abused have been at Penn State Football games as recently as this past fall. They still love Penn State football, and when people claim that Penn Staters have lost sight of the victims, you need only look at what they are asking for. They don't ask for anything that will help the victims, only hurt Penn State." :what:

Document this, everyone, because it doesn't happen very often: WORDS FAIL ME.

I have to go lie down now because my head is in serious danger of exploding. :banghead:

borndem
07-22-2012, 11:27 PM

:eek: ..... :ohwow: ..... :turkey: ...... :scream: ....:thud:

IzzyBlanche
07-23-2012, 12:08 AM
:eek: ..... :ohwow: ..... :turkey: ...... :scream: ....:thud:

You said it. :floorlaugh:

waltzingmatilda
07-23-2012, 04:04 AM
http://collegefootball.scout.com/

The images of the football players were removed also. I was hoping they would stay. After all it should be about the athletes, not a false god.

I saved the picture but don't know how to do a screen shot here.

moo

wm

Duh, I dunno why I didn't check DM first. They always have the best photos, IMO

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2177201/Joe-Paterno-statue-Penn-State-removes-monument-Beaver-Stadium.html

Tipstaff
07-23-2012, 07:35 AM
http://collegefootball.scout.com/

The images of the football players were removed also. I was hoping they would stay. After all it should be about the athletes, not a false god.

I saved the picture but don't know how to do a screen shot here.

moo

wm

Duh, I dunno why I didn't check DM first. They always have the best photos, IMO

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2177201/Joe-Paterno-statue-Penn-State-removes-monument-Beaver-Stadium.html

I had no expectation that the football players would be removed from the wall - it was surprising to see this.

It suggests to me that the powers that be at the university do not have a clear picture of what is going on - in reality the players didn't have anything to do with Paterno's failure - so why take them down?

On another note - good to see Thought Fox is back!!!

seattlechiquita
07-23-2012, 01:13 PM
omg the Paterno family just doesn't get it, do they? they need to seriously stfu and withdraw form the public eye. They are not gaining brownie points by pretending their familiar was anything but a pedophile enabler.

A jury spoke
The Freeh report spoke
The NCAA spoke

Now the Paternos need to shut the f. up

JurysOut
07-23-2012, 01:42 PM
It's not just the Paterno family. There is widespread indignation among Paternophiles.

It's embarrassing. Among PSU employees are members of both camps.

ETA: before any of that, the Grand Jury Presentment spoke volumes

Quiche
07-23-2012, 03:58 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

That statue remaining would be a monument to Penn State fans' denial, not their revered football program. Seems many of the fervent don't know what's good for them... Hey, they can have their little shrines in their garages, their Man Caves, they can still wear their Paterno gear, they'll just look like diehard azzes. lol

Regarding the fussy Paterno family, pipe down, already. Your scepter and crown have been passed on... let it go. Consider yourselves lucky your sick husband/father wasn't thrown in jail for aiding and abetting a felon. :moo: moo

borndem
07-23-2012, 04:20 PM
omg the Paterno family just doesn't get it, do they? they need to seriously stfu and withdraw form the public eye. They are not gaining brownie points by pretending their familiar was anything but a pedophile enabler.

A jury spoke
The Freeh report spoke
The NCAA spoke

Now the Paternos need to shut the f. up

You got it, Kona-Baby! Short and er, um, sweet! :seeya: HiYa, sea-chiq, it's good to see you on this forum! http://www.websleuths.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

waltzingmatilda
07-23-2012, 05:22 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

That statue remaining would be a monument to Penn State fans' denial, not their revered football program. Seems many of the fervent don't know what's good for them... Hey, they can have their little shrines in their garages, their Man Caves, they can still wear their Paterno gear, they'll just look like diehard azzes. lol

Regarding the fussy Paterno family, pipe down, already. Your scepter and crown have been passed on... let it go. Consider yourselves lucky your sick husband/father wasn't thrown in jail for aiding and abetting a felon. :moo: moo

:floorlaugh:

Hi Quiche! :seeya: Great reading you again! Your post made me laugh!!!

JMO, but I think the P family is REacting in a desperate attempt to guard JP's estate from civil suits. Does anyone in PA know if survivors can file civil suits against JP's estate based on 1) JP's firing 2) the Freeh report 3) the NCAA sanctions?

wm

Mama-cita
07-23-2012, 05:35 PM
:floorlaugh:

Hi Quiche! :seeya: Great reading you again! Your post made me laugh!!!

JMO, but I think the P family is REacting in a desperate attempt to guard JP's estate from civil suits. Does anyone in PA know if survivors can file civil suits against JP's estate based on 1) JP's firing 2) the Freeh report 3) the NCAA sanctions?

wm

I don't know for sure because I am not a lawyer, but I would guess his estate is certainly going to be fair game when all the civil litigation starts. I would also guess the assets of Schultz, Spanier, Curley and of course Sandusky, and maybe even some Second Mile peeps will all be fair game.

LinasK
07-23-2012, 06:52 PM
I had no expectation that the football players would be removed from the wall - it was surprising to see this.

It suggests to me that the powers that be at the university do not have a clear picture of what is going on - in reality the players didn't have anything to do with Paterno's failure - so why take them down?

On another note - good to see Thought Fox is back!!!
I agree, take his name off the library instead!

J. J. in Phila
07-23-2012, 08:24 PM
I don't know for sure because I am not a lawyer, but I would guess his estate is certainly going to be fair game when all the civil litigation starts. I would also guess the assets of Schultz, Spanier, Curley and of course Sandusky, and maybe even some Second Mile peeps will all be fair game.

I looked at the Second Mile bylaws, they have an indemnification clause and liability insurance.

Anyone prior to 1998 can't even dream of suing PSU and I don't think it would be until after 2001 that anyone would have a realistic shot.

JurysOut
07-23-2012, 08:41 PM
I looked at the Second Mile bylaws, they have an indemnification clause and liability insurance.

Anyone prior to 1998 can't even dream of suing PSU and I don't think it would be until after 2001 that anyone would have a realistic shot.

I think as far as civil suits go, they probably can't go back much farther. They'd have to branch off of the convictions, in my opinion.

Although the Brown family successfully sued following the non conviction of OJ Simpson.

Some guidelines for this case are being written as they go along. It's virtually unprecedented.

So far, I haven't liked very much about 2012. I won't be sorry to see it go.

J. J. in Phila
07-23-2012, 08:58 PM
I think as far as civil suits go, they probably can't go back much farther. They'd have to branch off of the convictions, in my opinion.

Although the Brown family successfully sued following the non conviction of OJ Simpson.

The Brown/Goldman suit would be an example. Maybe abuse that started after 2001, where you could claim failure to properly act in 2001, but I think only one post 2001 victim has come forward

This scandal will probably cost Penn State $150,000,000 when all is said and done. The thing is, Spanier saw it coming, and still signed off on it.

LinasK
07-23-2012, 09:01 PM
So far, I haven't liked very much about 2012. I won't be sorry to see it go.
Actually, I'm happy today that there's been some justice in the world lately: Sandusky was convicted and is in prison for life, Paterno's statue came down, and PSU was heavily fined, and the shooter in Colorado made his first court appearance today!

StellarsJay
07-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Small world:
"A local businessman who gave $25,000 for the Joe Paterno statue that was taken down this weekend would like to hear from the university about its decision and its plans for it. Eddie Lauth, a State College resident and the founder of Aqua Penn, went as far as asking a Centre County judge for preliminary injunction on Friday to stop Penn State from removing the bronze statue.

Lauth was one of dozens of donors, including local real estate developer Bob Poole, who also is the chairman of The Second Mile’s board of directors; Penn State trustees Ira Lubert, Jesse Arnelle, Jim Broadhurst and Al Clemens; and university donors Bill and Joan Schreyer, Mildred Lasch and Ed and Helen Hintz."
http://www.centredaily.com/2012/07/23/3270530/joe-paterno-statue-donor-had-asked.html#storylink=cpy

Another story says that 25 major donors contributed $650,000 to Penn for the statue, which cost about $400,000. Average donation: $25,000. Rakeoff to Penn Sate $250,000 for giving it space.

If I remember rightly:
Donor Lauth owns Aqua Pen, which had Joe P. as an investor-promoter.
Bob Poole was in "The Village" failed $125 MM real estate project with Paterno and Schreyer and I think maybe Schultz.. Poole was/is? CEO of Second Mile. Schreyers' daughter was on SM's Board. The showers were in the Lasch building. The Schreyers had something to do with Second Mile, I think. Lubert may still be a trustee. Broadhurst was the other Trustee beside Surma that Garban told when Baldwin told him Curley and Schultz were being charged. Wonder who the other 15 donors were?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7320780/penn-state-nittany-lions-joe-paterno-did-business-leaders-second-mile-according-report

It look as though the Paterno statue was pretty cost-effective "face" for "We Are Penn State Investors". It was erected in 2001 and "The Village" was underway at the time.

J. J. in Phila
07-24-2012, 12:16 PM
And the wall that surrounded the statue has been torn down. That explains the removal of the football players.

Minette
07-24-2012, 12:43 PM
The arrogance of the Paterno family in speaking about what doesn't or doesn't 'serve' the victims is breathtaking, particularly when you consider that several of them wouldn't have BEEN victims if Joe Paterno had done the right thing.

ynotdivein
07-24-2012, 01:29 PM
And the wall that surrounded the statue has been torn down. That explains the removal of the football players.

:what: Wow.

borndem
07-24-2012, 02:48 PM
The Brown/Goldman suit would be an example. Maybe abuse that started after 2001, where you could claim failure to properly act in 2001, but I think only one post 2001 victim has come forward

This scandal will probably cost Penn State $150,000,000 when all is said and done. The thing is, Spanier saw it coming, and still signed off on it.

JJ - Wasn't the Brown/Goldman/Family suit a Wrongful Death suit? I do not know anything about law or PA law -- what type suit could the victims bring? Seems like there ought to be something other than W.D.

J. J. in Phila
07-24-2012, 03:06 PM
JJ - Wasn't the Brown/Goldman/Family suit a Wrongful Death suit? I do not know anything about law or PA law -- what type suit could the victims bring? Seems like there out to be something other than W.D.

Yes, but the point is, you do not need a conviction to bring a civil suit.

borndem
07-24-2012, 03:47 PM
Yep, that's so, JJ! One is a civil process and the other is a criminal process and ne'er the twain shall meet! I just don't know enuff about law to know what can be brought.

BuzzieCat
07-24-2012, 07:38 PM

Wow. I didn't realize that was just a freestanding wall - I thought it was part of the outside of a building.

michmi
07-24-2012, 08:24 PM
If anyone's interested, I just found ESPN is running an Outside the Lines special called "Penn State: The Price of Scandal" and they're basically covering the investigation from the beginning until now.

JurysOut
07-25-2012, 08:52 PM

All in all, I'd rather be at Eagles Training camp than working for PSU this week.

J. J. in Phila
07-27-2012, 12:22 AM
All in all, I'd rather be at Eagles Training camp than working for PSU this week.

The evil of two lessers. ;)

waltzingmatilda
07-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Regis Philbin gives his opinion. meh.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/07/26/regis-philbin-penn-state-joe-paterno-ncaa-sanctions-punishment/

borndem
07-27-2012, 10:38 AM
The evil of two lessers. ;)

:giggle:

OilPainter
07-27-2012, 04:39 PM
Regis Philbin gives his opinion. meh.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/07/26/regis-philbin-penn-state-joe-paterno-ncaa-sanctions-punishment/

Ugh. Regis Philbin weighing in....who's next? One of the Osmonds?

Rlaub44
07-28-2012, 09:59 PM
Trees have been planted at the former site of Paterno's statue:

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/07/28/3277267/trees-planted-at-former-site-of.html

Reader
07-29-2012, 05:22 PM
Paterno Statue Moved to Secret Location

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/sports/Paterno-Statue-Moved-to-Secret-Location-164183886.html

..........According to the Philadelphia Inquirer article, the bronze statue was put in the back of a truck on Friday and carted off to an undisclosed location. PSU spokesman David La Torre told the paper:

"As we've maintained from day one, the statue will be stored in a safe and secure location until a permanent location is decided."

Reader
07-30-2012, 11:30 PM
A teachable moment for Penn State

http://articles.boston.com/2012-07-29/opinion/32904461_1_state-president-rodney-erickson-penn-state-statue

If those who don’t know history are doomed to repeat it, maybe the removal of Joe Paterno’s statue from the front of Beaver Stadium isn’t such a great idea.

Left in place, the 900-pound iconic bronze monument could have warned future Penn State presidents and students about the danger of false heroes. Instead, university officials hauled off the statue to an undisclosed location..........

How about putting it in a lecture hall and building a serious curriculum around it? That could send a real message about a shift in Penn State priorities.

The course of study wouldn’t be football, it would be accountability, from the top down and the bottom up. The lessons wouldn’t be about victory on the field, they would be about moral responsibility. For case studies, students could examine other institutions in business, politics, religion, and academia that did the wrong thing — or the right thing, if examples exist — when faced with ethically challenging situations. The consequences could also be studied, and how long it takes before the public loses interest and moves onto the next outrage.........

Tucking away the Paterno statue doesn’t change that history. It makes it easier to forget and harder for Penn State to confront and change course.