PDA

View Full Version : Clarifying what to do about rumors

bearbear
07-22-2012, 03:14 AM
wish we could get a teensy weensy bit more inside info or msm report to keep us sleuthing. i liked hearing all the rumours from locals and people who know people, so far a lot of them have been true, arent we allowed to discuss rumours anymore?

LauraMars
07-22-2012, 03:28 AM
wish we could get a teensy weensy bit more inside info or msm report to keep us sleuthing. i liked hearing all the rumours from locals and people who know people, so far a lot of them have been true, arent we allowed to discuss rumours anymore?

I agree, a lot of what has been discussed here is rumour, some of which has turned out to be true.

I think we should be able to continue that, and I think most people take many things with the proverbial grain of salt.

No offence to mods though, I think you all do an awesome job, and this is a great website :rocker:

itsthevibe
07-22-2012, 04:28 AM
I agree, a lot of what has been discussed here is rumour, some of which has turned out to be true.

I think we should be able to continue that, and I think most people take many things with the proverbial grain of salt.

No offence to mods though, I think you all do an awesome job, and this is a great website :rocker:

I thought we had been allowed, within some limits, to post rumours, as long as it was made very clear and reiterated that they were rumours. At some stage with the knowledge of Kimster someone prepared a rumour list. I wish I'd had time but I wanted to continue it and include anything that had been a rumour that was later verified, so you could tick things off as they became known. Also, you could remove things if it turned out that official info showed the rumour couldnt be true. I would love to do it but i am barely able to keep up with this board at all.

Basically if we cant discuss rumours in any way shape or form we have practically nothng left. Some of the rumours help in the process of speculating about what might have happened based on facts we already know and how they fit in overall.

Because of the stage the case is at, we are now getting into a situation where there is nothing new being reported in MSM, or statements from police. The rehashing is really getting very frustrating. I wonder what we can expect at the next hearing - can one of our legal eagles tell us what would be usual? Is the hearing in Septemeber something where another small trickle of extra info might be seen?

Was there one of our members who had obtained a copy of the affadavit presented at the bail hearing? It was quite thick, if someone had it maybe there are some details in there that we haven't discussed that could be outlined for us? Just clutching at straws here.

Kimster
07-22-2012, 11:35 AM
In every hot case on Websleuths we get these kinds of questions, especially during those times when no new information is being released. However, just because the new news has come to a standstill, it doesn't mean we are going to bend our rules. We have thousands of cases on Websleuths.

The reason we don't do rumors is that we are not a gossip column. We like to stick to informative and constructive websleuthing.

As for rumors, let me give the example of the hands rumor. It was rumored by many that Allison's hands were removed. That was later debunked. I don't know about you guys, but I thought it offensive that someone started that rumor. (Not here, but wherever it started). If it bothered me, think of how much it bothered the family? And someday the girls are going to grow up to be women and they are going to Google the internet and read that crap. There is no way around it. We can't control the internet, but we can try to make Websleuths a better place for victims and their families and that's how we roll here.

I hope that helps.

As for what to do during the quiet times, I would build up more information about crime in your area. What can be done to prevent it and other resources can be posted here: Websleuth's Resource Center - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Or make sure the Cold Cases in your area are represented by checking here: Cold Cases - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Or if you are interested in some serious sleuthing that can gain true results, help CarlK and his team identify and send home the unidentified here: The Unidentified - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

And if you just want some good ole fun, explore our private forums and see if you can find me hanging out in the basement party at the tiki bar: Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Websleuths is a community of over 50,000. There is always something to do here!

:grouphug:

:skip: :woohoo:

:cheers: