PDA

View Full Version : Michael Skakel

Kathy C
01-15-2005, 02:19 PM
Michael Skakel is appealing his conviction, says the Boston Globe:

HARTFORD, Conn. -- Two families haunted by a 30-year-old murder returned to a Connecticut courtroom Friday, one hopeful that a cousin of the Kennedy clan will be set free and the other angry that a legal technicality could overturn his conviction.

Attorneys for Michael Skakel urged the Connecticut Supreme Court to throw out his murder conviction, arguing that prosecutors waited too long to try him and failed to turn over crucial evidence.

www.boston.com/news/local/Connecticut/articles/2005/01/14/kennedy_cousin_ (http://www.boston.com/news/local/Connecticut/articles/2005/01/14/kennedy_cousin_)
takes_appeal_to_state_supreme_court

Kathy C

Pepper
01-15-2005, 03:08 PM
Didn't think there was a statute of limitations on murder!?

Tricia
01-15-2005, 03:47 PM
Didn't think there was a statute of limitations on murder!?

I think this has to do with the fact that he was a juvenile at the time of the murder and the prosecutors were able to get him tried as an adult. Somehow I believe this is what the appeal is based on.

Autumn2004
11-07-2007, 11:09 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071107/ap_on_re_us/skakel_appeal

Yet another appeal

HARTFORD, Conn. - Lawyers for Kennedy cousin Michael Skakel, convicted for the 1975 killing of a teenage neighbor, have gone to federal court seeking a new trial.

The petition comes less than two weeks after Skakel was denied a new trial in state Superior Court. He had previously tried to get a new trial by claiming newly discovered evidence.The petition, known as a writ of habeas corpus, claims that Skakel is being held unlawfully.

The federal petition filed Tuesday focuses on six constitutional claims. Among them is that the state Supreme Court rejected Skakel's claim that his prosecution, some 25 years after the crime, was time-barred.

Kat
10-21-2012, 11:38 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/10/21/kennedy-cousin-skakel-up-for-parole-in-connecticut/

Kennedy cousin Skakel up for parole in Connecticut

Published October 21, 2012

Associated Press

will get his first parole hearing Wednesday 24 NOV 2012 I'm thinking is the date.

max2012
10-22-2012, 04:00 AM
I attended his trial. I hope he *never* gets out.

iluvmua
10-23-2012, 10:24 PM
did it ever come out as to why he killed Martha?

KathrynL
10-23-2012, 10:32 PM
did it ever come out as to why he killed Martha?

IIRC, it was something to do with Martha and his brother, a jealousy thing. At least I think that is what Mark Fuhrman thought. moo

BetteDavisEyes
10-25-2012, 08:39 PM
I hadn't seen this thread previously and would have posted about the made-for-TV movie, "Murder In Greenwich", that is airing on LMN right now. It started at 8:00. I've seen the film and can recommend it as worthwhile viewing. I'm sure that it will be on LMN again as they tend to show movies several times after they premiere. Christopher Meloni (Elliot Stabler on L&A: SVU) portrays Mark Fuhrman.

Jack
10-23-2013, 06:13 PM
Seeing on CNN that skakel's conviction is being thrown out. I'm upset about that.

JudyBolton
10-23-2013, 06:21 PM
Seeing on CNN that skakel's conviction is being thrown out. I'm upset about that.

Me, too! And they have asked that he be released on bail :( "Inadequate counsel" when he had the best $$$ could buy.....
Makes you question that judge for sure.......

nola
10-23-2013, 06:21 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/kennedy-cousin-skakel-wins-trial-1975-death-210413870.html

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Kennedy cousin Michael Skakel was granted a new trial on Wednesday by a Connecticut judge who ruled his attorney failed to adequately represent him when he was convicted in 2002 of killing his neighbor in 1975.

The ruling by Judge Thomas Bishop marked a dramatic reversal after years of unsuccessful appeals by Skakel, the 52-year-old nephew of Robert F. Kennedy's widow, Ethel Kennedy. Skakel is serving 20 years to life.

Bridgeport State's Attorney John Smriga said prosecutors will appeal the decision.

noZme
10-23-2013, 06:33 PM
I do not want a time out.... I do not use Smiles often, but I do not want a time out so I will simply :banghead:

katydid23
10-23-2013, 07:03 PM
I am SHOCKED. Now what? Is he going to walk away free?

Tricia
10-23-2013, 10:31 PM
Hey Websleuths Members,

Please continue the discussion of Skakel on this thread:

Michael Skakel Granted New Trial in the Death of Martha Moxley - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community