PDA

View Full Version : Janet Kay Kovacich missing since 09-08-82; Husband on trial for her murder

ShowerSinger
03-05-2005, 07:44 AM
Sad story, but at least the police are renewing the effort.
There's an article in the Sacbee, but I cannot link it. I've tried! Hopefully, one of ya'll computer savvy types can link it.

meggilyweggily
03-05-2005, 09:19 PM
You need to register for the SacBee article. But I found some non-registration ones:

http://www.theunion.com/article/20050303/NEWS/103030113
http://www.theunion.com/article/20050302/WEBUPDATE/50302006
http://www.theunion.com/article/20050304/NEWS/103040130
http://www.theunion.com/article/20050303/NEWS/50303002
http://www.auburnjournal.com/articles/2005/03/02/news/top_stories/04noir.prt
http://www.auburnjournal.com/articles/2005/03/02/news/top_stories/01dig.txt
http://www.granitebaypt.com/articles/2005/03/02/news/09mystery.txt

MagicRose99
09-06-2006, 02:58 PM
"Auburn police have arrested Paul Kovacich Jr. in connection with the 1982 death of his wife, Janet.

Kovacich was taken into custody Tuesday night in Foresthill and booked into the Placer County Jail on a no-bail warrant...."

More at link: http://www.kcra.com/news/9796403/detail.html

californiacarrie
09-13-2006, 09:48 PM
I am very, very interested in finding out what evidence they have agains Kovacich, since they have no body. Placer county seems to be on a kick of prosecuting without a body these days...we'll have to see how it all works out.

Bobbisangel
09-14-2006, 03:36 AM
"Auburn police have arrested Paul Kovacich Jr. in connection with the 1982 death of his wife, Janet.

Kovacich was taken into custody Tuesday night in Foresthill and booked into the Placer County Jail on a no-bail warrant...."

More at link: http://www.kcra.com/news/9796403/detail.html

That is wonderful. I'll bet every time this case was re-opened that husband held his breath. Beings he was a cop at the time he probably thought he had covered all of his bases.

I hope that this Janet receives justice. Now if we could just get justice for our other Janet in Durham.

Niner
09-14-2006, 03:15 PM
Just in case anyone else is interested, I did find out that Kovacich is scheduled to return to court at 1pm October 19th in Dept 13 at the Placer County Superior Court! I'll try and be there!! :D

MagicRose99
09-14-2006, 05:52 PM
Just in case anyone else is interested, I did find out that Kovacich is scheduled to return to court at 1pm October 19th in Dept 13 at the Placer County Superior Court! I'll try and be there!! :D
I'm not far from you... I'm in Sacramento! I would love it if you could keep me up to date... I only catch what I can on the local news shows / websites. And Janet does deserve justice!

Niner
09-23-2006, 08:35 PM
Just wanted to put up an update... I stopped by my local library and checked that book, Nature Noir, where this case is discussed in one of the chapters! I was curious in what it has to say. Still planning on attending on oct 19th - unless that is just for jury selection - no, that court date is probably just for him to GET a court date to start his trial... hmmm... I'll have to investigate that and see. Maybe I'll just go anyway! LOL! I remember I attended a couple of the court hearings on Garcia, and in one of them, I looked up from scribbling some notes - and he was staring straight at me!! :eek: but I kept my cool... starting straight back at him until he turned away... :snooty: LOL!! I met Christie's mom, dad, and sister at one of these hearings... :blowkiss: hmm... this forum doesn't have a "hug" icon... who do I talk to about this??!!

Cheers everyone - have a good afternoon~ :cool:

MagicRose99
09-25-2006, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the update Niner! It's just a sad shame Janet has had to wait all these years for justice...

californiacarrie
01-17-2007, 06:32 PM
Kovacich may be out on bail soon...
http://www.auburnjournal.com/articles/2007/01/17/news/top_stories/02kovacich17.txt

californiacarrie
01-18-2007, 05:32 PM
Nope, he didn't make it - house wasn't worth enough to put up the funds:

http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/109568.html

californiacarrie
01-18-2007, 05:38 PM
However apparantly his family members have offered up 5 other properties to tack to his bail funds :(

http://www.auburnjournal.com/articles/2007/01/18/news/top_stories/01kovacich18.txt

Niner
01-26-2007, 01:55 PM
yes, californiacarrie - he DID get bailed out... next hear for the trial set is February 22nd at 8:30am in Auburn... I probably will not be going to this - but will try to catch the trial when it starts up! At least the opening statements and such!

chicoliving
03-23-2007, 10:27 PM
A former Placer County sheriff's deputy was rearrested and remains held without bail in connection with the suspected murder of his wife 25 years ago, Auburn Police authorities said.

~snip~

Thursday's arrest came just hours after Kovacich's latest court appearance, postponing the next step in Kovacich's trial until next month. Citing Couzens' gag order, an Auburn police spokesperson declined to discuss any circumstances surrounding the latest arrest.

http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=25834

Well I want to know!!

Niner
03-28-2007, 12:38 PM
Me too, chico!! LOL! :D Okay - I guess the trial date, or another hearing (?) is scheduled for April 10th. I'll try & get to that one - I hope!! :silenced: I DO have a laptop now... and IF the courtroom has wi-fi access - I'm good to go!! I guess I'll find out if the wi-fi works when I get to court! I wonder if they will let me keep my laptop open?? I could make a "press pass" for Websleuths - couldn't I?? An excuse for having my laptop open and typing - ??!!
Anyway - just thought I'd bring this to the current page... :dance:

Niner
03-28-2007, 12:40 PM
you know, that is one thing I don't understand - ?? he was arrested once (a grand jury indictment) and posted bail; then we have ANOTHER grand jury indictment - ?? - and he can't post bail - ?? I don't understand... :doh: :confused: can someone explain this? I thought you could only get indicted once for the same crime??

DEPUTYDAWG
03-28-2007, 01:08 PM
Has anybody ran across the year in which he stopped working for PCSO? I heard from a friend that he used to work at CalExpo as police security, I think as just fair police during the State Fair time. At least that's when she worked a lot with him.

However, I'm VERRRRRYYYY interested in knowing when he retired or left PCSO. I haven't seen that, as I just started searching this case since my friend told me about this case. (I used to live in Placer, and just got word of this arrest.)

TIA!

DEPUTYDAWG
03-28-2007, 04:23 PM
Also, has anyone come across an article or anything with a photo of Paul?
I can try searching tonight, but thought I'd see if someone has already found one.

OMG.

Thanks again.

chicoliving
03-28-2007, 04:32 PM
There's a pic of him at the link.

It looks likely that human remains sent to a forensic lab for DNA analysis two years ago could be the catalyst that led to Paul Kovacich Jr.'s recent re-arrest.

In March 2005, DNA evidence collected in connection with the 1982 disappearance of Janet Kovacich along with human remains were sent to the Department of Justice's Richmond, Calif. laboratory for forensic analysis. To date no information has been made public about the findings. Due to a gag order no one who has a connection to the case can comment.

Kovacich, a former Placer County deputy, was re-arrested March 22 at the Foresthill home of his girlfriend, Dixie King.

His arrest was the result of a second grand jury indictment, this time alleging special circumstances, which could mean the death penalty if he is found guilty.

According to Deering's Penal Code, special circumstances include: lying in wait, robbery, kidnapping, use of a gun and rape. Two of those may apply in this case.

http://www.auburnjournal.com/articles/2007/03/28/news/top_stories/01kovacich28.txt

DEPUTYDAWG
03-28-2007, 05:11 PM
Thanks for that article with the photo, Chico.

And to think he's sitting in the jail where we had booking privileges at. Surrounded by former co-workers working the jail.

Wow.

chicoliving
03-28-2007, 06:29 PM
I have the feeling from the few articles I've read that he retired not long after this occured. One article mentioned "he was uncooperative" and I just can't see him sticking around long in light of this. dunno maybe he had steel ones and stayed on for years. I'll keep looking. lol now I want to know!

chicoliving
03-28-2007, 06:30 PM
Oh, I'm gonna move this thread to the Trials forum.

DEPUTYDAWG
03-28-2007, 09:34 PM
I have the feeling from the few articles I've read that he retired not long after this occured. One article mentioned "he was uncooperative" and I just can't see him sticking around long in light of this. dunno maybe he had steel ones and stayed on for years. I'll keep looking. lol now I want to know!

Chico,

Hmmmmmm.

I've got another LEO (not PCSO...but very familiar with them :) ) up there who has given me a few comments about it today, in general, but because of the gag order, he said anyone "in the know" isn't talking. That 's good to know and as it should be. But, word on the street, so to speak, is that they all think he did it and they've got something...finally.

FYI, Paul supposedly worked at CalExpo as recent as the early 2000's. I know a lot of officers (from several different agencies in the area) that work the State Fair gig for the 2+ weeks as extra income; take vacation from their agency and go work the fair. All the ones I know are commissioned officers, so I'm assuming (so take that for what it's worth) that Paul was then still using an active commission as a LEO. (What I don't know is whether CalExpo would hire just security guards, as well...not commissioned officers...to supplement the police force. I should find that out, as well. Because, IIRC, he'd have to keep up with his continuing education credits with POST in order to keep his commission active. Gotta be employed as a LEO to do that...IIRC, one can't have a lapse of more than 3 yrs before losing the commission.) Just thinking kinda outloud....

Very interesting....

P.S. and just thinking about the dynamics in the jail right now.

chicoliving
03-29-2007, 12:11 AM
I'm sure the guards and deputies are remaining professional even though one of their own so to speak is behind bars. 20+ years is a long time and I wonder how many that were on the job then are still on the job now?

DEPUTYDAWG
03-29-2007, 08:34 AM
I'm sure they're being professional...but it's gotta be strange, for them AND for him. However, he's got bigger things to worry about and this is his Round #2 in there.

Niner
03-29-2007, 01:04 PM
Timeline (per Auburn Journal, March 28, 2007)

Sept 8, 1982 - Janet disappears after making appointment to enroll her kids in school (I wish they had given TIMES of this "disappearance"!!)

March, 2005 - Human remains set to the Dept of Justice Lab for DNA analysis

April, 2005 - Paul Kovachich Jr's parents' Lake of the Pines home searched by the FBI (I know that a dog was found buried there!)

July 28, 2005 - FBI searched the Kovacich's home a second time

July 30, 2005 - Paul R. Kovacich Jr. named a suspect in his wife's 1982 disappearance

July 6, 2006 - Paul arrested on a grand jury indictment and charged with murder

Jan. 23, 2007 - Suspected murderer posts property bond and is released from custody

March 22, 2007 - Kovacich re-arrested following a second grand jury decision, faces a possible death sentence for his wife's disappearance and presumed murder.
http://www.auburnjournal.com/articles/2007/03/28/news/top_stories/01kovacich28.txt?pg=3

Niner
03-29-2007, 01:06 PM
like I said earlier - I'm going to be in court on April 10 - just informed my manager that I'll be taking the morning off! :cool: So HOPE that they have wi-fi in the court room, as I have laptop now!! :woohoo:

DEPUTYDAWG
03-30-2007, 11:46 AM
like I said earlier - I'm going to be in court on April 10 - just informed my manager that I'll be taking the morning off! :cool: So HOPE that they have wi-fi in the court room, as I have laptop now!! :woohoo:

Niner,

That's great! However, I was just told his trial date has been postponed until April 17th now. (Guess he had a court appearance yesterday?)

DD

MagicRose99
03-31-2007, 09:07 AM
Actually, it's the 19th:

<snip>
"The case is now on the court calendar for 8:30 a.m. April 19 for a trial-setting hearing."

http://www.auburnjournal.com/articles/2007/03/23/news/top_stories/06kovacich23.txt

Niner
03-31-2007, 05:08 PM
oh shoot!! No way???!! Okay - I'll have to think of SOME excuse and change the date!! LOL!
Thanks for that update guys!! Appreciate it! But I will change the date with my manager - so all is not lost! Just glad I found out now! Thanks again! :)

Niner
03-31-2007, 05:12 PM
wait a second... that article is from 3/25 - and the article I was reading is only 3 days old from 3/28... hmmm... which IS the right date?? I might have to research this - before I change the dates with my manager!!

californiacarrie
04-02-2007, 11:13 PM
A few things:
Deputydawg, I believe Kovcich quit working for PCSO in late 1982/early 1983 - after having been on leave because he was a suspect in his wife's dissapearance.

Also, for those of you who don't know, his current girlfriend, Dixie King, is also a former sheriff.

Cicoliving: There are very few people at the jail, if any, who worked for PCSO when Kovacich worked there. In fact, there are not many deputy's left at all from that era. From what I've been told, most of them turned against him when he went under suspicion -so he doesn't have many friends left in the department. I also believe that I've read somewhere that a couple of witness' in this case are deputies who worked with him - and they are not testifying on his behalf.

Regarding all the new charges, I am thinking that they've got to have a pretty good witness account in order to be charging him with things such as rape, kidnapping, lying in wait, etc... Or maybe he confessed to someone and they've turned him in?

Niner
04-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Regarding all the new charges, I am thinking that they've got to have a pretty good witness account in order to be charging him with things such as rape, kidnapping, lying in wait, etc... Or maybe he confessed to someone and they've turned him in?

Hey CalifroniaCarrie! :) I'm wondering if it isn't Dixie King, his girlfriend that might have "said" something...

Still going to court on the 10th! Since that was the last date published in the paper. IF ANYONE finds a different date - PLEASE post, k??!! :waitasec:

californiacarrie
04-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Hey CalifroniaCarrie! :) I'm wondering if it isn't Dixie King, his girlfriend that might have "said" something...

Me too, although I think it would be awful neverwreaking to live in the same house with the man knowing that you've ratted him out.

DEPUTYDAWG
04-03-2007, 10:28 PM
A few things:
Deputydawg, I believe Kovcich quit working for PCSO in late 1982/early 1983 - after having been on leave because he was a suspect in his wife's dissapearance.

Also, for those of you who don't know, his current girlfriend, Dixie King, is also a former sheriff.

Cicoliving: There are very few people at the jail, if any, who worked for PCSO when Kovacich worked there. In fact, there are not many deputy's left at all from that era. From what I've been told, most of them turned against him when he went under suspicion -so he doesn't have many friends left in the department. I also believe that I've read somewhere that a couple of witness' in this case are deputies who worked with him - and they are not testifying on his behalf.

CCarie,

Excellent! Thank you! No one I've contacted could narrow it down for me.
I'm still unsure what his capacity was when working at CalExpo as part of their security. I was told he was there as part of the state police but this is from someone who knew Paul well, but not necessarily clear on the difference between an commissioned LEO vs. a security guard. Do you happen to know? I'm trying to figure oout if he still had his POST commission. And if not, have you heard how he supported himself all these years? He's would have been pretty young to have left PCSO in '82/'83.

P.S. I agree with what you've said - although I haven't talked to any LEO that has actually known him, all are aware of it and think he's guilty.

JMO,
DD

MagicRose99
04-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Cal Expo has it's own police force

<snip>
"Cal Expo is the only exposition center in the nation with a full-time year-round police department. The Cal Expo Police Department acts under the same authority as any other police department in the state and its sworn personnel have statewide peace officer powers as specified in section 830.2(i) of the California Penal Code."

http://www.bigfun.org/fair/generalinfo/security.asp

californiacarrie
04-04-2007, 03:48 PM
CCarie,

Excellent! Thank you! No one I've contacted could narrow it down for me.
I'm still unsure what his capacity was when working at CalExpo as part of their security. I was told he was there as part of the state police but this is from someone who knew Paul well, but not necessarily clear on the difference between an commissioned LEO vs. a security guard. Do you happen to know? I'm trying to figure oout if he still had his POST commission. And if not, have you heard how he supported himself all these years? He's would have been pretty young to have left PCSO in '82/'83.

P.S. I agree with what you've said - although I haven't talked to any LEO that has actually known him, all are aware of it and think he's guilty.

JMO,
DD

All I know is that he was able to retire from PCSO - possibly early, and I'm not sure if it was forced or his choice. I assume Ms. King has supported him some, but he also had quite a bit of money, and quite a bit of family support (at least three family members put thier houses up for his bail money). Lake of the Pines, where his parents lived was, at the time, a very high scale community. I'm not sure what happened to all the joint stuff he had with his wife when she disappeared. If they were never able to prove anything then, could they withhold all that?

And a side note: CalExpos security/police force is notorious for being the most racist police force in California.

DEPUTYDAWG
04-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Cal Expo has it's own police force

<snip>
"Cal Expo is the only exposition center in the nation with a full-time year-round police department. The Cal Expo Police Department acts under the same authority as any other police department in the state and its sworn personnel have statewide peace officer powers as specified in section 830.2(i) of the California Penal Code."

http://www.bigfun.org/fair/generalinfo/security.asp

Thank you, MagicRose99.

It's a little misleading and makes it sound better than it really is, IMO. Imagine that?! They certainly don't have 330 officers year-round; that's got to be the max during the State Fair. They supplement with other agency officers that work during the Fair. I personally know many officers that work the Fair detail - taking time off from their normal jobs to go work the Fair for 2 weeks out of the year.

And while it may seem silly to a few of you, it's why I keep coming back to this issue. How did he keep his POST certification if he wasn't working LE for the past few years? ...............However, CACarrie maybe answered more of it for me in her post, in that he was allowed to retire. Maybe he's therefore been grandfathered into keeping an active commission? I've still got to get that straight in my brain. Has nothing to do with whether he murdered Janet or not. Sorry for my going off on somewhat of a tangent. TO me it's interesting to figure out what he's been up to all these years. (And if he retired in the early 80's, that answered my questions about whether I knew him or not.)

Thanks.

Niner
04-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Just wanted you all to know that I'm still going to court on Tuesday the 10th... if I can't get my laptop to work - hopefully I can use Word to take notes - IF something happens in court. Hopefully it's not just a "hearing" to set the date of trial... :waitasec:

californiacarrie
04-09-2007, 05:08 PM
Some interesting details which may or may not have been shared already:

Kovacich, his wife, and their two children were living in Auburn PD territory at the time of Janet's disapearance. There is an established trail near the home leading down into the American River Canyon near the Auburn Dam Site, which apparantly was under construction at the time. Many people believe Janet's body was dumped there.

Kovacich worked for PCSO from 1974-1992 (10 years after his wife's disapearance)! In an Auburn Journal article dated 9/6/06 by P. Usher, PCSO Undersheriff Steve D'Arcy is quoted as saying, "It should be noted that he (Paul) hasn't been a member of the current department and has not been active in law enforcement for well over a decade."

Janet was only 27 at the time of disapearance. Her parents petitoned the courts in 1995 to have her declared legally dead in order to settle estate matters. Paul contested the petition stating that the children did not sufficiently believe that she was dead. Janet's parents won however I could not find any stipulations as to how the estate was broken up - if there was much of one by then.

Paul was always "a person of interest" but was not declared a suspect until 2005. His son has always stood behind him. The daughter I'm not so sure about. The children were 7 and 5 at the time of Janet's disapearance. The girl is the older of the two.

Niner
04-10-2007, 10:13 AM
I'm getting ready to drive down to the Court house this morning - and my NEXT report - will hopefully be from the court room!

Stay tuned...

{I know - they probably will only be setting a court date for the trial to start... but going anyway!!}

DEPUTYDAWG
04-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Some interesting details which may or may not have been shared already:

Kovacich, his wife, and their two children were living in Auburn PD territory at the time of Janet's disapearance. There is an established trail near the home leading down into the American River Canyon near the Auburn Dam Site, which apparantly was under construction at the time. Many people believe Janet's body was dumped there.

Kovacich worked for PCSO from 1974-1992 (10 years after his wife's disapearance)! In an Auburn Journal article dated 9/6/06 by P. Usher, PCSO Undersheriff Steve D'Arcy is quoted as saying, "It should be noted that he (Paul) hasn't been a member of the current department and has not been active in law enforcement for well over a decade."

Janet was only 27 at the time of disapearance. Her parents petitoned the courts in 1995 to have her declared legally dead in order to settle estate matters. Paul contested the petition stating that the children did not sufficiently believe that she was dead. Janet's parents won however I could not find any stipulations as to how the estate was broken up - if there was much of one by then.

Paul was always "a person of interest" but was not declared a suspect until 2005. His son has always stood behind him. The daughter I'm not so sure about. The children were 7 and 5 at the time of Janet's disapearance. The girl is the older of the two.

Bless you, my dear! You don't know how much I appreciate the info on the years of service. :blowkiss:

DEPUTYDAWG
04-10-2007, 01:29 PM
I'm getting ready to drive down to the Court house this morning - and my NEXT report - will hopefully be from the court room!

Stay tuned...

{I know - they probably will only be setting a court date for the trial to start... but going anyway!!}

Wasn't this switched to the 19th?
Hope not, for your sake...and ours! Would love to hear something!

Niner
04-10-2007, 04:43 PM
no, no switch! He was there in court! and here is my report:

8:25am - FINALLY found the RIGHT court room!! Whew... driving around this morning for 10 minutes - trying to find the right court house and room!! :doh:

8:31am - sitting in court room - I recognized Paul sitting on the floor next to the jury box with the rest of the guys in orange... and it is my favorite judge!! Judge McElhany!! and guess who is sitting in front of me... Penny from the Auburn Journal!! She recognized (I think!) from the Garcia case!

okay - arraignment - not guilty plea; will have a 995 hearing on May 1st - prosecutor has until May 15th to reply.

Court date set for May 29th at 8:30am in the Old Courthouse building... (at least there - I won't get lost!! LOL!)

end of report:: :)

chicoliving
04-10-2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks Niner!

Niner
04-10-2007, 04:46 PM
oh shoot - I just noticed that date (May 29th) is right after the Memorial Holiday... probably won't be able to take off... hmmmm.... :rolleyes: wondering "what" to do... maybe take off the morning?? We shall see, as it gets closer!

Niner
04-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Your quite welcome Chico! I've been trying to get in here for the LONGEST time... I guess everyone & their brother are getting on here to 'see' who the father was/is of Danielynn... now we know!

chicoliving
04-10-2007, 04:50 PM
Yep! It'll calm down soon :)

chicoliving
04-10-2007, 05:04 PM
~snip~

The new indictment adds the special circumstance of kidnapping during the commission of a murder, which makes Kovacich eligible for the death penalty. There is also an added enhancement of using a firearm in the alleged crime.

Kovacich had already been indicted on the murder charge last September. He was released on a $1 million bond, but bail was revoked when the second indictment was handed up. Kovacich now remains in custody on no bail.
http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=26475

The article mentions that the DA hasn't decided on the death penalty or not and that the "new" evidence remains secret. But we might find out some of that evidence because at the hearing on 5/29 the judge will hear new evidence on the special circumstances and the gun enhancement.

DEPUTYDAWG
04-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Thank you Niner! Good to have eyes and ears in the courtroom, LOL!!!
:woohoo:

Niner
04-10-2007, 06:15 PM
~snip~

The new indictment adds the special circumstance of kidnapping during the commission of a murder, which makes Kovacich eligible for the death penalty. There is also an added enhancement of using a firearm in the alleged crime.

Kovacich had already been indicted on the murder charge last September. He was released on a $1 million bond, but bail was revoked when the second indictment was handed up. Kovacich now remains in custody on no bail.
http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=26475

The article mentions that the DA hasn't decided on the death penalty or not and that the "new" evidence remains secret. But we might find out some of that evidence because at the hearing on 5/29 the judge will hear new evidence on the special circumstances and the gun enhancement.

yes, I heard (sort of! LOL!) that about the Special circumstance - and the "added" enhancement - but wasn't too sure WHAT they were talking about, as I said - they did NOT talk loud enough!! LOL!

Okay - so.... "new evidence on the special circumstances and the gun enhancement will be heard by the judge, eh?? well - I guess that means I HAVE to go to court on this and report to you all... I'll 'see' what I can do about taking the morning off... :rolleyes:

Jeana (DP)
04-10-2007, 07:45 PM
DO NOT PRINT ENTIRE NEWS ARTICLES AND IF YOU DO PRINT ANY SNIPPET OF ANY NEWS ARTICLES, YOU MUST INCLUDE A LINK. Posts not including this information will be deleted and memberships re-evaluated.

californiacarrie
04-10-2007, 08:06 PM
What if you don't know a link? The snippet I mentioned a few days ago was directly from the real paper. That's why I included the name of the paper, date and author of the article.

Jeana (DP)
04-10-2007, 08:20 PM
What if you don't know a link? The snippet I mentioned a few days ago was directly from the real paper. That's why I included the name of the paper, date and author of the article.

You're going to have to tell me which post you're talking about.

Niner
04-11-2007, 11:38 AM

Same here, Jeana... I sometimes post from articles from my local paper the Auburn Journal, but I usually put the date of the paper (I think!??!!) :angel:

chicoliving
04-11-2007, 11:41 PM
Here's a link to the list of archived articles from the Auburn Journal

Link (http://www.auburnjournal.com/shared-content/search/index.php?search=go&o=0&q=Paul+Kovacich+&d1=03-28-2000&d2=04-11-2007&s=oldest&r=Subject%2CAuthor%2CContent&l=20)

chicoliving
04-11-2007, 11:53 PM
It looks likely that human remains sent to a forensic lab for DNA analysis two years ago could be the catalyst that led to Paul Kovacich Jr.'s recent re-arrest.

http://www.auburnjournal.com/articles/2007/03/28/news/top_stories/01kovacich28.txt

Sounds like the remains may be the "new evidence". I'm thinking these are her remains (I think that's only presumed at this time and hasn't been formally acknowleged) and the cause of death was a gunshot wound and this is why the new charges of the added enhancement of using a firearm? IOW he took her against her will (kidnapping charge), shot her (enhancement of using a firearm) and now is eligible for the death penalty?

Niner
04-12-2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the article, Chico! I'm wondering "where" they found these remains... I guess we shall find out next month, eh? IF (!) they announce that at the hearing on the 29th...

californiacarrie
04-16-2007, 08:28 PM
Kovacich's lawyers are petitioning to have the special circumstances charges dropped on the basis of scant or unreliable evidence. I imagine that it's possible for him to win that as I don't know what physical evidence could prove kidnapping and lying in wait other than witness testimony or disclosed confessions which can be easily defeated. I imagine rape would even be difficult to prove since they were married.

"McElhany gave Blackmon until May 1 to submit a written document as to why the indictment should be dismissed and set Kovacich's next hearing for May 29."
http://www.sacbee.com/291/story/152880.html

californiacarrie
04-16-2007, 08:40 PM
On another note, I remember at least two decomposed bodies being found in Nevada Co wilderness - near highways, in 2005 or 2006. Of course, I can't find ANY of those articles anymore. At the time, everyone was speculating that they were the remains of Christie Wilson...

chicoliving
04-16-2007, 10:03 PM
On another note, I remember at least two decomposed bodies being found in Nevada Co wilderness - near highways, in 2005 or 2006. Of course, I can't find ANY of those articles anymore. At the time, everyone was speculating that they were the remains of Christie Wilson...
Yeah, I remember one found around Hwy 20 not far from I 80. I don't recall offhand if she was ever identified though but it wasn't Christie. I found the link

Skull found in Nevada County belongs to an adult Asian woman (http://www.auburnjournal.com/articles/2006/09/12/news/top_stories/05skullupdate12.txt)

DEPUTYDAWG
04-17-2007, 08:52 AM
Obviously just speculation, but LE buddies from that area are mentioning the numerous rock quarries as possible dump sites....

JMO

Niner
05-21-2007, 04:34 PM
just bringing this thread up to date... I'll be going to the court house on May 29th for this case. Hopefully, I'll be able to post directly from the courtroom... IF they have WiFi... and my battery lasts...

Watch for an updated!

MagicRose99
05-21-2007, 05:18 PM
just bringing this thread up to date... I'll be going to the court house on May 29th for this case. Hopefully, I'll be able to post directly from the courtroom... IF they have WiFi... and my battery lasts...

Watch for an updated!

Thanks Niner!

californiacarrie
05-24-2007, 02:25 AM
Info was released to the media today that in evidence they have a skull which was found 12 years ago at the bottom of Rollins Lake (about 20 min from Auburn). The skull apparantly has what looks like a bullet hole in it. Unfortunately my link is to the Sac Bee which is subscription based. The Auburn Journal should have the story posted in the morning.

http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/191822.html
"The information is contained in court documents filed this month in the first-degree murder indictment against Paul R. Kovacich Jr., 58, who could face the death penalty if convicted.
The partial skull was found nearly 12 years ago at the bottom of Rollins Lake, north of Colfax, and DNA tests strongly indicate it is that of Janet Kovacich, who disappeared Sept. 8, 1982, at age 27, the documents say."

Niner
05-24-2007, 11:11 AM
here's a bit from the Auburn Journal:

Skull found in '95 belongs to Kovacich

DNA links fragment found in lake to missing woman

The previously unreported 1995 discovery of Janet Kovacich's skull led to a March 22, 2007 grand jury indictment of her husband charging him with first-degree murder.

Paul Kovacich Jr., 58, has been held at Placer County jail without bail since a second grand jury indictment alleged that he kidnapped and killed his 27-year-old wife and mother of two with a firearm nearly 25 years ago.

According to documents filed May 15 in Placer County Superior Court, a partial skull was found in Rollins Lake Oct. 22, 1995. No other evidence was collected at that time and the skull was listed as a Jane/Joe Doe.

In March 2005, DNA evidence collected in connection with the 1982 disappearance of Janet Kovacich along with human remains were sent to the Department of Justice's Richmond, Calif. laboratory for forensic analysis.

Forensic anthropologist Patrick Willey testified before the Placer County grand jury March 22 that he received the skull in 1995.

"The skull had a bullet hole on the right of the cranial vault," according to court documents.

Colleen Spurgeon, a criminalist with the Department of Justice, received the partial skull and DNA from the Kovacich children in Oct. 2006. Through DNA analysis the partial skull, missing the mandible, was determined to belong to Janet Kovacich.

"King asserted her Fifth Amendment right not to testify and was granted use immunity," court documents state. Which means if King were to truthfully testify against Kovacich during trial the information she provides cannot be used against her.

Kovacich's arrest was the result of a second grand jury indictment, this time alleging special circumstances, which could mean the death penalty if he is found guilty. The first indictment alleged murder without special circumstance or use of a firearm. According to Deering's Penal Code, special circumstances include: lying in wait, robbery, kidnapping, use of a gun and rape. Two of those apply in this case.

"It is further alleged that the intentional murder of Janet Kay Kovacich was committed by the defendant while the said defendant was engaged in the commission of kidnapping ...," according to court documents dated March 22, 2007.

Kovacich's defense lawyers, Tom Leupp of Auburn, and Clyde Blackmon, of Sacramento, filed a motion May 1 with Placer County Superior Court calling for dismissal of the allegations of use of a firearm and special circumstances.

Kovacich has pleaded not guilty. He is scheduled to return to court at 8:30 a.m. May 29 in Placer County Superior Court.

When the lawyers called for a dismissal of these charges - that is why the prosecutors revealed they had the skull...

I'll be there on Tuesday - taking notes for you all! Keeping my fingers crossed that they have wifi, so I can connect to WS then and there!!

here's the link to the story above:
http://www.auburnjournal.com/articles/2007/05/24/news/top_stories/01kovacich24.txt?pg=1

californiacarrie
05-24-2007, 04:17 PM
So is Dixie testifying or not?

californiacarrie
05-24-2007, 04:28 PM
Another interesting snippet from the Journal article:

"Kovacich's attorneys counter the prosecution's claim that the hole in the skull was a product of a gunshot, citing a 1995 autopsy report.

Dr. Donald Henrikson, a pathologist working with the Placer County Sheriff's coroner's division determined that the skull, found by a two citizens, belonged to a young white female with an "undetermined" cause of death. He examined the skull and showed it to three of his colleagues.

'While we believe unanimously that it could be a bullet hole, it certainly has an atypical appearance for a gunshot wound ...,' the report states. 'I can certainly imagine an instrument, such as the pick side of a pick-axe which could produce a hole like this.' "

californiacarrie
05-24-2007, 04:48 PM
More Sacramento Bee linkage: http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/191875.html

There are some graphics (diagrams) of the skull in question and more info in regards to evidence and theory.

"The partial skull was discovered Oct. 22, 1995, by a man walking along Rollins Lake, according to a Bee report at the time."
(Does Rollins Lake get emptied? I'm pretty sure it's a man made lake butI could be wrong. Or maybe it was found in a receeding lake bed?)

"The lower part of the skull, including the jaw and teeth, is missing. There is a hole behind the right ear of the top of the skull."

(No exact match on DNA)
"DNA taken from the skull was compared to that of Janet Kovacich's late mother and of her two children, and a state criminalist said the profile indicates the deceased person was likely the missing woman, the documents say."

(Theory)
"The prosecution also discloses its theory on how and why Kovacich murdered his wife.
It said Janet Kovacich was preparing to end the couple's rocky marriage and confronted her husband about divorce on the morning she vanished.
The prosecution suggests Paul Kovacich then offered to drive his wife to an appointment at a school where she wanted her children enrolled.
"She got into the Ford Bronco with the defendant, believing he would drive her to her appointment," Gong wrote. "The defendant drove Janet to Rollins Lake against her will and killed her there."

"Documents also give details on some of the evidence....including summaries of interviews with friends of the Kovacich family, law enforcement officers and witnesses who gave information on the movements of Paul and Janet Kovacich on the day the woman disappeared."

(The article also discloses that there were what look like metal fragments in the skull which showed up on the xrays but it is in dispute as to whether these fragments are bullet fragments or issues with the film. Also, the examiner who states that it could be something other than a bullet hole is not considered an expert in gunshot wounds; the expert the prossecution is presenting apparantly is.)

Niner
05-25-2007, 11:26 AM
thanks for posting those articles californiacarrie! This should be an interesting trial - I'm glad it's happening in my city!! I'll try and follow as much of this in person - but work will probably get in the way of that!! LOL! I'm set to go on Tuesday - already let me Manager know I'll be late coming in that day! Too bad I can't be a juror on this trial... But I know I won't be called, as I was already "called up" this year, and got dismissed the first day... :cool:

californiacarrie
05-25-2007, 07:22 PM
Yeah, I always get dismissed. I'm one of the few people in this world who would actually like the experience of sitting on a jury. Oh well.

Niner
05-26-2007, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I always get dismissed. I'm one of the few people in this world who would actually like the experience of sitting on a jury. Oh well.

me too, CC - I would love to sit on a trial; but have never been picked... My mom, though, go to sit on a couple of trials... oh well! LOL! I'll just go and take notes for you all!

CC - I 'see' that you are 'near Sac' - so am I... have you gone to see the whales yet??!!

californiacarrie
05-29-2007, 07:11 AM
I didn't - me and crowds don't get along so well....

You know I was thinking yesterday, it amazes me that they are actually having this trial here, what with Kovacich's connections to the county and all. I'm really suprised no one tried to move it.

californiacarrie
05-29-2007, 09:46 AM
Today's the day. I sure hope stuff actually happens rather than a bunch of legal mumbo-jumbo. That'd be such a waste of Niner's time!

*sits and waits impatiently

californiacarrie
05-29-2007, 11:54 AM
9:00, no Niner = I assume no WiFi. :(

Niner
05-29-2007, 01:45 PM
good morning!! Correct, no WiFi!! LOL! And you're correct, a second time - it was a waste of my time this morning... All the defense did was ask for a continuance, as they filed MORE papers on last Friday; next scheduled court date is June 7 at 1:30pm. I don't believe I'll be attending this one, as the "court trial date" has yet to be set; so I'm going to assume they will be just talking their legal mumbo-jumbo then too!! LOL! Oh well!

:rolleyes:

californiacarrie
05-29-2007, 04:38 PM
Arg. What a bummer. I was hanging in suspense all morning. All I really want to know is who will testify....or more importantly, if Dixie will be called, and what she will say if she is. I just can't imagine living with someone when you know they've killed someone else. It fascinates me.

chicoliving
05-29-2007, 04:49 PM
A decision on whether to dismiss a murder indictment against former Placer County Sheriff's Sgt. Paul R. Kovacich Jr. has been postponed to June 7.

~snip~

Kovacich's attorneys filed a reply to the brief on May 22, contending that there are no facts to support the allegation that Janet Kovacich was kidnapped. In addition, they say that forensics experts had divided views as to whether the hole in the skull was made by a bullet and that the full range of opinions were not presented to the Placer grand jury that indicted Kovacich.

http://www.sacbee.com/102/story/197836.html

justice4janet
05-29-2007, 05:41 PM
hi everyone. this current legal tango is very important to paul's case since he's hoping to have his bail reinstated. the only way that can happen is if the special circumstance allegations are dismissed.

for the person wondering about dixie, i sincerely doubt she'll ever admit to believing paul murdered janet. all the more astounding since she worked as a homicide detective in placer county.

Niner
05-30-2007, 02:22 PM
thanks for that article Chico!! I didn't realize THAT is what the defense was asking... dismissing murder charges - ??? Yikes!! :snooty:

Class - I too couldn't 'see' living with a person (you suspect??) having murdered his previous wife... or even told you he did... :(

californiacarrie
05-30-2007, 04:58 PM
hi everyone. this current legal tango is very important to paul's case since he's hoping to have his bail reinstated. the only way that can happen is if the special circumstance allegations are dismissed.

for the person wondering about dixie, i sincerely doubt she'll ever admit to believing paul murdered janet. all the more astounding since she worked as a homicide detective in placer county.

Either way, I am fascinated to know what she thinks. Or at least, what she says she thinks. She's got immunity now apparantly but I can't imagine they'll call her unless they think she'll give up something good.

PS - welcome, and thanks for jumping in.

Niner
06-02-2007, 12:18 AM
Yes, welcome justice4janet! :)

I was reading the article in my Auburn Journal - and this part sticks out to me... In March 2005 DNA evidence collected in connection with the 1982 disappearance of Janet Kovacich along with human remains were sent to.... for forensic analysis and confirmed to be that of Janet... now, is this ADDITIONAL human remains, beside the skull they found in October, 1995?? I wonder if they found more.... :( so sad.... sorry...

I don't believe I'll go back to court until opening statements! It seems there will probably be MORE delays... as per defense team stragedy!! So I hang in and wait...

justice4janet
06-02-2007, 03:33 AM
niner, i don't believe the defense is asking for the actual murder indictment to be dismissed~~i believe it's just for the special circumstances murder so that paul can be released on bail again.

the part of an auburn journal article that stood out to me was:

According to documents filed May 15 in Placer County Superior Court, a partial skull was found in Rollins Lake Oct. 22, 1995. No other evidence was collected at that time.

NO OTHER EVIDENCE WAS COLLECTED AT THAT TIME.

justice4janet
06-02-2007, 03:37 AM
to me the saddest part of this is that janet's parents didn't get to live to see paul behind bars where he belongs. they didn't just lose janet that day, they lost their grandchildren, too. i'm glad her brother's seeing some justice finally. i love the irony that paul is now wearing an orange jumpsuit in placer county where he was himself a deputy sheriff.

Niner
06-07-2007, 12:48 PM
niner, i don't believe the defense is asking for the actual murder indictment to be dismissed~~i believe it's just for the special circumstances murder so that paul can be released on bail again.

the part of an auburn journal article that stood out to me was:

According to documents filed May 15 in Placer County Superior Court, a partial skull was found in Rollins Lake Oct. 22, 1995. No other evidence was collected at that time.

NO OTHER EVIDENCE WAS COLLECTED AT THAT TIME.

yes, I understand that "no other evidence was collected AT THAT TIME" - but I wonder if LATER they found MORE human remains - as it says in the article - I guess we shall just have to wait for the trial... I'm game!!

Yes, - it is an irony - that Paul is wearing orange now...

Niner
06-09-2007, 09:51 PM
I just read in my Auburn Journal an update on what happened at the hearing on June 5th:

snip...
Court documents state that on the day she disappeared Janet had discussed leaving her husband and tansferring her children to a school near Lake of the Pines. She phoned the school around 9am and again 10am when she made an appointment for 11:10am to enroll the children in...
Janet was unable to drive due to recent breast surgery. The prosectuion asserts that Kovacich drove her, but she never reached the school.
Court documents filed June 5, in part, that during the drive to the school, "the defendant tried to convince Janet not to divorce him..."
"When she refused, he drove her to Rollins Lake, escorted her from the car, and murdered her," the document states.

Next court appearance is on June 21st... probably not going to that one either... :)

chicoliving
06-09-2007, 10:56 PM
The defense for a former Placer County sheriff's sergeant accused of murdering his wife decades ago, argued in an Auburn courtroom against special circumstances to the alleged slaying that could mean the death penalty for their client.

http://www.auburnjournal.com/articles/2007/06/08/news/top_stories/04kovacich8.txt

Here's the link to Niner's post too.

SewingDeb
06-10-2007, 08:15 AM
Next court appearance June 21st.

californiacarrie
06-11-2007, 12:25 PM
I just read in my Auburn Journal an update on what happened at the hearing on June 5th:

snip...
Court documents state that on the day she disappeared Janet had discussed leaving her husband and tansferring her children to a school near Lake of the Pines. She phoned the school around 9am and again 10am when she made an appointment for 11:10am to enroll the children in...
Janet was unable to drive due to recent breast surgery. The prosectuion asserts that Kovacich drove her, but she never reached the school.
Court documents filed June 5, in part, that during the drive to the school, "the defendant tried to convince Janet not to divorce him..."
"When she refused, he drove her to Rollins Lake, escorted her from the car, and murdered her," the document states.

Next court appearance is on June 21st... probably not going to that one either... :)

What I want to know is how they (the prosecution) know this stuff (the begging while on the drive, etc)!

The article in the Union says she had breast augmentation surgery as well as scars on her face and shoulder removed. That's interesting.
It also says Kovacich admitted to kicking the dog to death, claiming he was training it at the time.
http://www.theunion.com/article/20070609/NEWS/106090141

californiacarrie
06-11-2007, 12:28 PM
And because I am a phreak, I must criticize the headline of the Union article mentioned above: "Former deputy faces new charges" The new charges have been known for a few months now....the writer is a bit late on the headline. I found it irritating because I thought maybe there was another new development.

I'll shut up now.

Niner
06-12-2007, 04:18 PM
no need to shut up, californiacarrie!! :blowkiss: the more the merrier!! but I know what you mean - about the headline...

I noticed in that article this:

In Placer County Superior Court Thursday, Kovacich's attorney,...,argued the defendant did not kidnap his wife on Sept 8, 1982, because she willingly got into his car. Kidnapping was possibly also "incidental and was not used to facilititate' a murder, he said.

sooooo.... is Kovacich admitting she DID get into his car that morning???? :waitasec: or maybe another assumption on part of the prosecutor?? Guess I'll wait til trial!

Niner
06-23-2007, 12:27 PM
**UPDATE**

Was reading my Auburn Journal last night, and they had an article on the hearing from Thursday, June 21st...

Death Penalty Likely Averted {says the headline}
Judge dismisses kidnap charge in '82 murder case...
Former Placer County Sheriff's Deputy Paul R. Kovacich Jr will not likely face the death pealty after a judge ruled to dismiss a kidnapping enhancement in an Auburn courtroom Thursday.....
A defense motion to dismiss a use of a firearm enhancement was denied by Judge Robert P. McElhany.... If convicted of 1st-degree murder with the enhancements, Kovacich could have faced the death penalty. But citing insufficient evidence on the kidnapping special circumstance, McElhany said the grand jury that indicted Kovacich may have not been advised of any laws relating to the enhancement....

And then the rest of the article is the same as the others... with a "status conference" hearing being set for 1pm, July 5th. "status" of what??? Let's get on with it!!!!???!! LOL!
http://www.auburnjournal.com/articles/2007/06/22/news/top_stories/04kovacich22.txt

Niner
06-23-2007, 12:31 PM
by the way - I believe I'm going to send an email to Penne Usher, the journalist who is covering the case for the Auburn Journal, and have her explain what she means - when in the article she mentions "along with human remains" - to clarify IF other parts of her body (sorry!) were found along with that partial skull...

Niner
06-25-2007, 05:07 PM
here's the answer I received from Penne Usher of the Auburn Journal:

Niner:
I probably should change the wording. DNA evidence from Janet's family members (swabs, etc.) were sent to DOJ along with remains, which we now know is the partial skull. I don't believe that more remains have been located.
Hope this helps.
Penne

so - as she says - it is HER wording - human remains - that should be changed.

That clears it up for me!! :cool:

chicoliving
06-25-2007, 05:12 PM
Thanks Niner!

californiacarrie
06-25-2007, 08:59 PM
Nice that she actually got back to you!

Niner
06-26-2007, 12:30 PM
Yes! I was surprised she got back to me so quickly!! :dance:

Niner
07-04-2007, 12:42 PM
just bumping up this thread - as I see that Paul K. will be in court tomorrow - wonder what that will be about - "status" hearing??!! Unfortunately I can't make it - as I have WAY too much work at work!! LOL! :D but will be looking for updates!

justice4janet
07-06-2007, 08:24 AM
hi, here's the most recent.

paul was granted bail again. last time around it was 1 million. this time it's 1.5 million. he barely made it last time after his family and dixie posted their properties, so i'm not sure what will happen this time around. i'm sure it will make the paper if he's released.

the da's office is frustrated that paul's attorney's have no dates open for trial this year, so it's looking like march of next year before this thing gets started.

no more court hearings scheduled now until october and i believe that's for a trial conference hearing.

i'll update again if i hear more.

(paul's looking like he aged 20 years over the past 2 years.)

DEPUTYDAWG
07-06-2007, 02:58 PM
hi, here's the most recent.

paul was granted bail again. last time around it was 1 million. this time it's 1.5 million. he barely made it last time after his family and dixie posted their properties, so i'm not sure what will happen this time around. i'm sure it will make the paper if he's released.

the da's office is frustrated that paul's attorney's have no dates open for trial this year, so it's looking like march of next year before this thing gets started.

no more court hearings scheduled now until october and i believe that's for a trial conference hearing.

i'll update again if i hear more.

(paul's looking like he aged 20 years over the past 2 years.)

Thank you for the update!

chicoliving
07-06-2007, 03:10 PM
~snip~

Clyde Blackmon, Kovacich's Sacramento attorney, argued that since Judge Robert McElhany dismissed the charge of kidnapping June 21, his client should be granted bail.

~snip~

Gong said a recent report from the Department of Justice confirms that a partial skull found at Rollins Lake Oct. 22, 1995 is in fact that of Janet Kovacich.

more at link
http://www.auburnjournal.com/articles/2007/07/06/news/top_stories/03kovacich6.txt

Niner
07-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Thanks J4J & Chico for the updates... Just reading my Auburn Journal and I see that it says the next court date is October 25th - and tentative trial date for early March, 2008. I'm ready!! LOL! :dance:

Also in that article I noticed this!:
A judge granted Paul accused of shooting his wife in the back of the head...

I did not know that - that's a new item!
Justice for Janet!! :)

chicoliving
07-07-2007, 06:15 PM
Thanks J4J & Chico for the updates... Just reading my Auburn Journal and I see that it says the next court date is October 25th - and tentative trial date for early March, 2008. I'm ready!! LOL! :dance:

Also in that article I noticed this!:
A judge granted Paul accused of shooting his wife in the back of the head...

I did not know that - that's a new item!
Justice for Janet!! :)

YW! The article also stated that the skull is in fact that of Janet Kovacich. Earlier reports were "most likely" or worded in that manner.

californiacarrie
07-09-2007, 12:10 PM
I'm highly irritated that the trial won't start for another year just because his attorney's don't have the availability until then.

californiacarrie
07-14-2007, 12:58 PM
FYI, Kovacich got out on bail yesterday. I don't think the media knows yet.

chicoliving
07-14-2007, 02:44 PM
Well thats too bad. Kinda hoped he'd sit behind bars a bit longer.

chicoliving
07-14-2007, 04:02 PM
Former Placer County Sgt. Paul R. Kovacich Jr., 58, accused of murdering his wife decades ago, was released on bail Friday night.

Kovacich had been in custody at Placer County Jail on $1.5 million bond following a grand jury indictment alleging he shot his wife in the back of the head in 1982.

Placer County Jail personnel confirmed Kovacich posted the $500,000 bond late Friday to be released from custody, in addition to the $1 million property bond previously posted.

http://www.auburnjournal.com/articles/2007/07/13/news/breaking_news/01kovacich.txt

Niner
07-16-2007, 04:31 PM
Yes - I didn't realize he got out of jail either until I read my Sunday paper - front page news of course!

Yea - chico - I agree with ya - too long to wait for this trial.... :D

chicoliving
07-17-2007, 02:21 PM
With a trial date set seven months out for a former Placer County sheriff's deputy accused of killing his wife decades ago, the prosecution is calling for early testimony from three witnesses.

~snip~

Prosecutor Dan Gong said Monday he has filed three motions for "conditional examination" to be heard at 8:30 a.m. Aug. 10 in Dept. 2 of Placer County Superior Court.

The motions request is to put three witnesses on the stand in order to "preserve their testimony for trial."

The advanced age of the unnamed witnesses is at issue, along with the trial not being heard until March 2008.

http://www.auburnjournal.com/articles/2007/07/17/news/top_stories/04kovacich17.txt

Maybe the parents??

Niner
07-17-2007, 02:29 PM
and or HER parents...

Thanks for the update, Chico!

chicoliving
07-17-2007, 02:34 PM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, both sets. Well, with three witnesses maybe a set and a half. Sounds like he has adequate backing with properties put up and credit used for his bond.

californiacarrie
07-17-2007, 03:39 PM
Her parents are deceased, I think.

Thats an interesting motion. I mean, it means having to know now what questions to ask - minimal time to prepare, and then it would give them the possible opportunity to ask more questions later which is more than most people get when they're on trial. It gives the witnesses time to recant testimony too, and both the prosecution and defense more time to prepare for rebutals and such. And I wonder also, with PK out on bail, how would that work? Because a defendant is entitled to hear the witness' testimony right? Wouldn't that just be absolutely uncomfortable for the witness'? Does anyone know anything about "conditional examination?" I'd like more info.

Niner
07-18-2007, 04:40 PM
I believe I'm going to go to this hearing for testimony - I've put this as a reminder on my calendar - and will probably go and take notes for you all!

californiacarrie
07-18-2007, 07:08 PM
I think it is just the "motions" being heard on Aug 10, not the testimony. I don't know that for sure, but that's what I'm guessing. I wish the reporters would make this more clear in their writings. They act as if we all understand the legal system perfectly.

californiacarrie
07-18-2007, 07:10 PM
Although you could still go and take notes because I would guess they'll reveal who the witness' are, and a general idea of how detrimental the testimony is.

Niner
07-19-2007, 11:18 AM
yes, I have that day marked to take the morning off! I'll take notes - and hopefully, they'll have the witnesses then too! I sent Penne Usher (of the Auburn Journal) an email yesterday asking about this testimony; here's her answer: (her spelling errors, not mine! LOL!)

A conditional examination occurs in a courtroom before a judge with the prosectuion and the defense present. It works the same as if the witness were taking the stand during the trial.
The transcript of that testimony is then read during the trial, with, sometimes, as a member of the defense team legal firm acting as the witness (reading their part).
Dept. 2 is in Historic -
Hope this helps

Okay - off to do a little work before the Spector trial starts this morning!

justice4janet
07-20-2007, 09:45 AM
janet's parents are both, unfortunately deceased. she has an aunt who lives in-state who's been to some court hearings. she also is survived by a brother who lives out of state.

Niner
08-10-2007, 03:46 PM
sorry, but I was WAY too busy here at work to take the time off to go to court this morning for that hearing of the "older" witnesses.... probably Penny Usher has a piece in the paper today or probably tomorrow - well, no paper on Saturday, so probably in Sunday's paper.

If I 'see' it before any one else - I'll go ahead and post about it!

Niner
08-13-2007, 01:22 PM
well, I'm glad I didn't take the morning off last Friday, as I see they (Judge) will not decide on these three witnesses until this coming Friday (Aug 17th). Unfortunately, I can't take that morning off either, as that will be my last day at work and then going on vacation. I KNOW I'll be really busy that day...

californiacarrie
08-14-2007, 02:47 AM
Did you find an article? I couldn't find one. Just wondering if they named the witness'.

chicoliving
08-14-2007, 04:12 AM
Early testimony from three witnesses could be heard in the case against a former Placer County sheriff's deputy accused of killing his wife decades ago.

But the decision whether or not to accept the testimony won't come until 8:30 a.m. Aug. 17, a Placer Superior Court judge decided in an Auburn courtroom Friday.

~snip~

Prosecutor Dan Gong said previously that he has filed three motions for "conditional examination" to put three witnesses on the stand in order to "preserve their testimony for trial."

The advanced age of the unnamed witnesses is at issue, along with the trial not being heard until March 2008.

http://www.auburnjournal.com/articles/2007/08/12/news/top_stories/05kovacich12.txt

Niner
08-14-2007, 01:12 PM
Did you find an article? I couldn't find one. Just wondering if they named the witness'.

no, as you probably saw in the article, they are not naming 'who' those witnesses are...

Chico??!! Do you think you'll have time to go to this on this Friday??

chicoliving
08-14-2007, 01:16 PM
Unfortunately no. Harvest time! If a chance presents itself though I'll give it a try. :)

californiacarrie
08-22-2007, 12:35 PM
The judge is supposed to hear the testimony from the three witness' TOMORROW at 8:30am, Dept. 2. I would guess that it will be closed door. And it won't happen if Kovacich's lawyers get what they want - which is to be let off the case. In my opinion, thats a stall measure.
http://www.auburnjournal.com/articles/2007/08/21/news/top_stories/01kovacich21.txt

californiacarrie
08-22-2007, 12:42 PM
Oops, ha - I don't even know what day it is. The testimony would have been earlier this morning if it even happened!

chicoliving
08-22-2007, 11:52 PM
~snip~

On Wednesday morning, Frances Myres, 79, was brought to the stand in a wheelchair. A close friend of Janet Kovacich, and next-door neighbor of the family, she testified about conversations she had with the victim before her disappearance.

"She was a wonderful mother, very devoted, absolutely loved those children every minute. She was going back to school and very enthusiastic about it," she said, implying Janet Kovacich would never simply walk out on her son and daughter.

She also testified, "She (Janet) told me she was having breast augmentation and that her husband didn't want her to have it and her father didn't. I understood her mother paid for it."

That surgery took place on September 2, 1982, just days before her disappearance, according to testimony from another elderly witness, Dr. Leon Burke. The 84-year-old retired plastic surgeon said his Sacramento office files had notations from Janet Kovacich that her husband was "open to my decision."

"She was quite happy to have the surgery done," said Burke.

more at link
http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=31921

MagicRose99
08-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Sorry... you have to have a membership (free) with Sacbee to see the entire article:

<snip>
Two of the more prominent defense attorneys in the Sacramento region have withdrawn as the lawyers for Paul R. Kovacich Jr., a former Placer County Sheriff's sergeant who is accused of murdering his wife in 1982.

Sacramento attorney Clyde Blackmon and Auburn attorney Thomas Leupp were allowed to withdraw Thursday by Placer County Superior Court Judge Larry D. Gaddis on the grounds that Kovacich, 57, could no longer pay them.

Gaddis tentatively appointed the Placer County Public Defender's Office to be Kovacich's new counsel and ordered Kovacich to return to court Sept. 6 for a status report.

http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/353720.html

californiacarrie
08-30-2007, 05:52 PM
What do you think the chances are of the public deffenders office having more availability for trials and the trial moving up? I suppose it's little-to-none considering the ammount of time the new folks will need to get the case all straightened out, but here's to wishful thinking!

MagicRose99
08-31-2007, 03:29 PM
What do you think the chances are of the public deffenders office having more availability for trials and the trial moving up? I suppose it's little-to-none considering the ammount of time the new folks will need to get the case all straightened out, but here's to wishful thinking!

According to the article, the DA opposed this change in lawyers because of all the evidence the new attorney would have to review... and the DA doubts that the new lawyer could be ready by 3/3/08 for trial...

So, in answer to your question, it doesn't appear to me that having this go faster isn't in the cards...

Niner
09-08-2007, 06:42 PM
hey everyone! back from my vacation!! glad to see updates here! Thanks all!

Okay - marking calendar for March 3, 2008 for trial to start!! :dance:

anyone know 'what' happened on 9/6?

MagicRose99
09-08-2007, 09:27 PM
Can't find anything on 9/6... but I did find this article date 9/7/07:

<snip>
"Kovacich has pleaded not guilty. He remains free on $1.5 million bond and is scheduled to return to court at 8 a.m. Sept. 12."

http://www.auburnjournal.com/articles/2007/09/07/news/top_stories/08publicdefenderkovacich7.txt

p.s. Welcome home!

californiacarrie
09-10-2007, 07:05 PM
I've been told that the judge has given the defense a firm "no" on any trial extention. Judge feels 6 months is plenty of time for them to catch up and be prepared. That however is not official, published information.

Niner
09-21-2007, 05:46 PM
hey all! Found an article in my Auburn Journal...
Murder Trial could move out of Auburn :(
A change of venue is possible in the murder case against Paul...
Judge... set Dec 19 as the final day for filing motions.
{more snips...}
is scheduled to return to court at 8am Oct. 24th

So I wonder 'where' they might hold this court - hopefully NOT in Sacramento, as that is WAY too far for me to drive... Not happy about this change of venue... I probably won't be able to attend! :(

californiacarrie
09-21-2007, 06:35 PM
That doesn't suprise me at all. In fact, I was suprised that they hadn't tried to move it out from the beginning!

justice4janet
09-29-2007, 08:20 AM
my understanding is that paul's lawyers wanted off the case because after posting bail, etc., the funds simply weren't there (from paul or his parents) to pay private attorneys.

as to the change of venue, it's been over 1/4 of a century~~doesn't seem like it would be that big of an issue anymore. however, it would be one less appellate issue after he's convicted, so if they want a cov, let them have it.

chicoliving
10-24-2007, 06:01 PM
Already on his third defense attorney, retired Placer County sheriff's sergeant Paul Kovacich may end up with yet another lawyer before his trial on charges he killed his wife 25 years ago.

During a brief hearing in an Auburn courtroom Wednesday, assistant public defender John Lyman made his first appearance on behalf of Kovacich. But there could be yet another change ahead. It's just four months before the trial is scheduled to start.

When asked by Judge Larry Gaddis if he'll remain the attorney of record, Lyman said, "I assume it'll stay with me, but I'm not 100 percent."

http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=34297

Niner
10-25-2007, 11:08 AM
I see from the article that Chico posted that the next hearing is scheduled for February 29, 2008. I'll put down that date here, just in case I forget... I'll put that on my work calendar, and 'see' if I can attend this or not, when the time comes. Thanks! for the update Chico!

chicoliving
01-24-2008, 10:57 PM
~snip~

Superior Court Judge Larry D. Gaddis excused himself without comment from the upcoming trial of Paul Kovacich, Jr. Kovacich is charged with kidnapping and killing Janet Kovacich in 1982. Despite numerous searches over the years, her body has never been found. Kovacich has pleaded "not guilty" to the charges.

http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=37726

Good grief!

MagicRose99
01-25-2008, 08:44 AM
This is just another ploy to delay the trial. What's sad is that I'm beginning to believe there will be no justice for Janet. I'm not sure this will ever get to trial or that Paul will get his due.

chicoliving
03-01-2008, 01:05 AM
A former Placer County sheriff's sergeant accused of murdering his wife in 1982 has been granted a delay in his trial.

Paul R. Kovacich Jr., 58, of Foresthill was given a new trial date of Aug. 25 by Placer Superior Court Judge Mark S. Curry.

http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/681610.html

chicoliving
03-10-2008, 04:45 PM
A case of murder against a former Placer County Sheriff sergeant may make it to trial in August.

Paul R. Kovacich Jr., of Foresthill, was in a Placer County courtroom Friday along with his public defender John Spurling.

Spurling said he’s filed a motion for discovery but has yet to hear from the District Attorney’s Office. He told Judge Mark S. Curry that he has requested information regarding all homicide cases Auburn Police investigator Jerry Johnson worked on throughout his entire career.

http://www.auburnjournal.com/detail/78966.html

MagicRose99
08-21-2008, 08:41 AM
It may not be smoking. But investigators have located a gun that could have killed Auburn’s Janet Kovacich 26 years ago – and it might play a key role in her husband’s upcoming murder trial.

Lincoln residents Craig and Nancy DeLoach gave a .44 caliber pistol to a Placer County Sheriff’s Department investigator on Monday.
“All we were told was that a sergeant may have killed his wife 25 years ago,” Nancy DeLoach said Tuesday.

The couple was also told that the stainless-steel handgun had initially belonged to the suspect and then been given or sold to a law enforcement officer. A friend of Craig DeLoach’s was given the gun by the second owner – an officer, identified as a captain – as payment for work he had done. When the friend moved from the area, the friend gave Craig the gun as a keepsake, Nancy DeLoach said.

http://www.placeropolis.com/detail/91137.html

MagicRose99
10-28-2008, 12:48 PM
ROSEVILLE, CA - His wife disappeared 26 years ago, but retired Placer County sheriff's Sgt. Paul Kovacich is finally on trial on charges he killed Janet Kovacich.

"Love, control and motive: the love of a mother, control of the defendant and the motive to hide a body forever," prosecutor Suzanne Gazanniga told jurors as she began opening statements Monday morning in a Placer County courtroom."You're gonna hear evidence of domestic strife, marital discord. You will hear evidence of arguments, of verbal and physical abuse."

A total of 18 jurors, including five alternates, have been chosen to hear the case before Placer County Superior Court Judge Mark Curry. In an unusual but not unprecedented move, Curry told jurors during instructions they may be allowed to have questions asked of witnesses. They would have to be submitted in writing and be subject to Curry allowing the question, he said.

About half of the audience section in the courtroom was filled during opening statements, mostly with friends or relatives of Janet Kovacich. One woman had a folder with newspaper clippings about the case. "This has been a long time coming," she said.

http://www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=49744&catid=2

MagicRose99
10-28-2008, 07:46 PM
A woman in turmoil looking for any excuse out of her marriage?

Or a woman who feared her safety but was preparing for a new life?

Those are the two pictures the defense and prosecution painted in the opening statements for former Placer County Sgt. Paul Kovacich. Kovacich is charged with murder with the enhancement of using a firearm in the Sept. 8, 1982 disappearance and murder of his wife, Janet Kovacich. Paul Kovacich has pleaded not guilty.

The case has been pending for 26 years. In 1995, a human skull was found at Lake Rollins in Colfax. In 2007, DNA tests confirmed the skull was that of Janet Kovacich.

http://www.auburnjournal.com/detail/97127.html

MagicRose99
10-31-2008, 09:06 AM
Steve Kassis still has the scar on his foot from a 1981 boat trip with Paul and Janet Kovacich.

The Oregon resident appeared in Placer County Superior Court Thursday to testify in the murder case involving his “very close” friend from grade school throughout high school and beyond. Paul Kovacich, a former Placer County sergeant, is charged with murder with the enhancement of using a firearm in the Sept. 8, 1982 death and disappearance of his wife, Janet Kovacich. Paul Kovacich has pleaded not guilty.

Kassis was one of three witnesses to take the stand Thursday as the trial ended its first week of witness testimony.

Kassis recalled the incident that caused the scar. He and the Kovacichs were spending the day at one of the local lakes they often visited. They had collected trash and glass along the lake and Janet Kovacich had placed the plastic bag at the back of the boat. When Kassis pulled himself into the boat, he accidentally stepped on the bag and cut his foot on the glass.

Paul Kovacich immediately blamed his wife and when she went to pull herself onto the boat from the front, he pushed her down, Kassis testified.
Kassis said there were several other incidents where he watched Paul Kovacich push Janet Kovacich in a way that would leave his wife feeling hurt.

http://www.auburnjournal.com/detail/97569.html?content_source=&category_id=2&search_filter=&search_filter_mode=&list_type=&order_by=&order_sort=&content_class=1&sub_type=&town_id=6

Niner
11-01-2008, 12:37 AM
Hey MagicRose - Thanks for reminding me about this case in your pm!! :blowkiss: I TOTALLY forgot that this case was going on until I read the front page of my Auburn Journal the other day!!! :rolleyes: SO.... I am not working at this - I unfortunately got laid off - so have time to run down the hill and "report" if you all like??!! I HOPE I do as good as Sprocket does... I'll take a few of her "reporting" skills - as when I walk in... tell you all "where" everyone sits... facial expressions...
Now - I just have to go to google and find out 'where' this Superior Court is in Roseville...
I believe that court starts at 9am on Monday - so WILL definitely try and get there to watch! :woohoo:

I remember going to Mario Garcia's trial here in Auburn - and will NEVER forget the 'look' I got from him.... :eek: :eek: LOL! And I'm glad they are STILL looking for Christie!!

Okay - look for this space next week... hmm... wonder if they have WI-FI in Roseville??? I can bring my laptop and report RIGHT from court... IF they let them stay on... otherwise I'll bring my trusty notebook and take notes for you all!! We shall see!

Oh - I'm glad to hear that the jurors CAN ask questions of the witnesses - I like that!! I wonder if Paul will be taking the witness stand?? Anyone hear anything on that??

Niner
11-01-2008, 12:59 AM
I noticed in this last article that it isn't Penne reporting - their 'usual' crime reporter... will have to find out what happened to Penne!

I posted to post a little more on the article MagicRose mentioned above - just in some people don't like to click on links provided - OR like me (BEFORE I got my 'new' laptopn!!) that print out stuff to read later...

In addition to frequent trips to Folsom Lake and Lake Rollins, he (Kassis) helped the couple move on several occasions, was at the hospital for the births of both children, is the godfather of their daughter and was called upon twice to bring Janet home after she left Paul to go to her parent's home.
Of those events, Kassis said one phone call from Janet stands out. Janet called Kasiss "sobbing" and saying she was upset over the tension between her parents and her husband.
"She felt torn between her parents and Paul"... "She was having a real tough time to the point she was fearful."
Kassis said he offered to let Janet live at his home but she declined.
"She said she'd be OK..."

During cross exam, DA asked Kassis to describe Janet. He said she was "high strung" and wore her emotions on her sleeve. WOuld she fly off the handle..." "At times"...
Asked about Paul's reaction to his wife's disappearance?... "Somber"; he was very quiet, not offering conversation, moping around, could be sad.

Question asked by a Juror: for Kassis to elaborate more on why he thought it was suspicious when he found out Paul and his parents were repaving the parent's driveway after Janet's disappearance?
He simply repeated that he thought it was an odd thing to do after she was missing.

Another witness before Kassis, was a neighbor - she had more of a bird's eye view of the homes lining their street. Janet brought her kids over to her house and "we'd have a little party." Only had contact with Paul at a house party she once hosted, and a single phone conversation after Janet was reported missing. She said he was concerned and asked if she knew where his wife was. She spoke with Janet the night prior to her disappearance when she offered to bring her neighbor some spaghetti for dinner. Knowing that Janet had limited mobility due to a recent breast augmentaion surgery - but Janet declined - said her husband was bringing home fried chicken...

I guess I better stop there.... LOL! I'll hope to have something here on Monday!!

MagicRose99
11-01-2008, 09:03 AM
Niner! :blowkiss: I knew you wouldn't let this trial go by unnoticed! LOL! I'd love any first hand reporting on the trial... this piece of scum has been free way too long... let's hope and pray justice is finally served!

Niner
11-01-2008, 11:30 AM
It's too bad they moved the trial down the hill... but I found out 'where' this Court is - just around the corner from where I used to work!! So will try and get there on Monday.
Yes - he's had a very long reprieve on his freedom on this!!

Niner
11-03-2008, 11:55 AM
okay.... I hate to disappoint anyone - but my car would NOT start this morning, so the Huz has to work on it today... it was having poblems ALL last week - so I'm hoping he'll get it working today, and will go to the courthouse tomorrow after I vote!
sorry... )o:

MagicRose99
11-04-2008, 07:00 AM
That's OK Niner! Sounds like my luck... LOL!

I just wish the paper would keep up with this trial! I don't understand no updates?

Niner
11-04-2008, 08:44 PM
another update... unfortunately it was raining on Monday and the Huz did NOT want to work on it in the rain - and I don't blame him. So he fixed the car today - and also got to vote!! So I'm going to try really hard and try and make the trial tomorrow (Wednesday). Yes, MagicRose - the paper had NOTHING in it today (Tuesday) about the trial... strange!! You would think they would at least have an update on what went on on Monday.... oh well!!
Really - I WILL try and get there tomorrow! :)

Wildcat
11-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Continuation from previous Thursday of testimony of prosecution witness Gail Easter: Mrs. Easter is the widow of a Placer County Deputy Sheriff. She testified that at a Sheriff's Association picnic, Janet Kovacich told her and others that her husband had kicked and killed one of their police dogs (Fuzz).

A substantial portion of the day was spent on the testimony of Janet's Plastic Surgeon, Leon Burke, MD. Doctor Burke is now 86 years old, retired and living in San Clemente. Although he was likable, articulate, and responsive to all questions, it seemed like an awful lot of time (~3.5 to 4) hours and medical detail was spent establishing that:

Janet had missed an appointment on September (9th or) 10th, 1982.
Janet had not finished her post operative monitoring (from an operation the week prior),
Nobody (other than law enforcement) ever requested her medical records,
that it would have been possible for Janet (in her post operative condition) to be driving at the time she disappeared, he would have recommended that she did not drive.

Lori Hall, the wife of Placer County Deputy (at the time) testified that on the evening of September 7, 1982, Janet had enthusiastically RSVP'd positively to attend a crystal party which was to take place on September 11. Lori was very surprised two days later, when she heard through her husband that Paul Kovacich said that Janet had left. Of course, since Janet disappeared on September 8, she did not attend the crystal party.

Prosecution witness Jeanette Baldwin, a retired teacher who was a full time mother in 1982, began her testimony. Her daughter and Janet's were friends in Kindergarten and afterward. The children would have “play dates” every one or two weeks. Ms Baldwin said Janet was a devoted and loving mother whose children brought her very much Joy.

Niner
11-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Wildcat!! Thank you so much for reporting this! Are you attending this trial??

Unfortunately I couldn't make it this morning, as the Huz had an eye doctor appointment this morning... :mad: and I had to drive him to it - unfortunately he can't drive!

BUT!!! I'm going to TRY really hard tomorrow to get there.... yea - I know I've said that before - we shall see what happens!! LOL! :)

Wildcat
11-05-2008, 05:28 PM
[QUOTE=Niner;2903856][color=green]Wildcat!! Thank you so much for reporting this! Are you attending this trial??

Hi Niner, I might attend very infrequently. It seems like there are a couple of women who are attending regularly and taking notes. Maybe you could recruit them to post in websleuths. Since I just registered, I was hesitant to bring it up.

Note: Trial is normally Monday to Thursday (9 to 4 or 4:30). There is no cafeteria, but the justice center is very close to Thunder Valley and lunch is 1.5 hours. There seems to be WiFi; I did not use it, but I saw somebody with a laptop logged into the web.

For a new courthouse, the design seems a little awkward (at least in Department 33 where the Kovacich case is).. The jury needs to wait in the front hallway, the attorneys need to stand for the witnesses to get by, and the witnesses need to go through a maze to get to the stand.

Judge Curry seems very good (quick, clear, and fair). Suzanne Gazzaniga has a good manner in court and seems very sharp. John Spurling (Defense) seems very intense and is very much on top of the details of case.

MagicRose99
11-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Thank you for the update, Wildcat! It's much appreciated!

And welcome to Websleuths!

Niner
11-06-2008, 10:37 PM
Yes!! Wildcat!! :Welcome-12-june: to Websleuths!! I believe you'll like it here...

and also Thanks for reporting!! :clap:

Wildcat!! Thank you so much for reporting this! Are you attending this trial??

Unfortunately, I have bad news... I will not be able to attend the trial as I got a temp job for a few weeks! :aktion033: So I need to do that!

Hi Niner, I might attend very infrequently. It seems like there are a couple of women who are attending regularly and taking notes. Maybe you could recruit them to post in websleuths. Since I just registered, I was hesitant to bring it up.

I hope you get to attend the trial again, and give us an update! And you can invite these ladies to post here too!! We'd really like that!

Thanks again!

edited to add: I LOVE the buffet at Thunder Valley!! yummy!!

MagicRose99
11-07-2008, 07:02 AM
It was Wednesday morning around 8 a.m. when Krch arrived at the Kovacich’s home to pick up their two children for their second day of school at St. Joseph’s.
Krch said she remembered Janet Kovacich was wearing a nightgown as she approached the front door to hand her the carpool schedule for the school year.

That was the last time she saw or heard from Janet Kovacich, Krch said.

When she dropped the children off at the house after school around 3 p.m., she said Paul Kovacich was in the driveway washing his truck. As the kids left the car, he walked over in what Krch said was one of the first and only exchanges she could remember having with Janet Kovacich’s husband.

“He said, ‘Is Janet with you? Oh no, she wouldn’t be. That’s right she’s with her mother,’” Krch said as she recalled the conversation for prosecutor Suzanne Gazzaniga.

http://www.auburnjournal.com/detail/98334.html?content_source=&category_id=&search_filter=Paul+Kovacich&search_filter_mode=keyword&list_type=&order_by=&order_sort=&content_class=1&sub_type=&town_id=6

MagicRose99
11-13-2008, 07:49 AM
On Monday, Buttes and former Auburn Police Chief Nick Willick described the initial days and weeks of the search for Janet Kovacich.

On Sept. 9, 1982, Buttes said he received a call from dispatch asking him to contact the Placer County Jail supervisor.

He went to the jail where he met with supervisor at the time, Paul Kovacich.

Kovacich, who appeared calm, said his wife was missing, Buttes said.
“He told me the previous day he and her had a discussion about removing the children from St. Joseph’s to Forest Lake Christian school,” Buttes said. “He said they had a minor altercation and his wife was thinking of leaving him.”

When asked what Paul Kovacich’s reaction was to transferring his children to a different school, Buttes said he recalled the defendant saying “he barely listened” to his wife and left to go shopping at Kmart.

Paul Kovacich told Buttes that when he returned home after his shopping trip, his wife was not there. He then called his mother-in-law around noon that day.

Paul Kovacich said his wife was “depressed” after her surgery, and he initially thought she had committed suicide, Buttes said. In the following days, Paul Kovacich would call Buttes and say he thought his wife was in an accident. Later he would say he thought she “met with foul play,” Buttes said through the course of his testimony.

While referring to the report he wrote the afternoon of Sept. 9, 1982, Buttes said Paul Kovacich told him when he last saw his wife, she was wearing yellow pants, a violet, pink and green blouse, brown open-toe lift shoes, gave the exact measurements of the purse she was using and noted a tear under its handle.

Buttes said Kovacich asked to hold off on taking action. The then-sergeant said he did nothing more until Paul Kovacich called two days later.

http://www.auburnjournal.com/detail/98752.html?content_source=&category_id=&search_filter=Paul+Kovacich&search_filter_mode=keyword&list_type=&order_by=&order_sort=&content_class=1&sub_type=&town_id=6

MagicRose99
11-17-2008, 10:17 PM
A 1982 tape recording played in a Roseville courtroom Thursday gave jurors a glimpse of murder suspect Paul Kovacich’s version of life with his wife, Janet, his hot temper and his admitted infidelity.

On the tape he discussed meeting a young Janet on the ski slopes, the immediate hostile exchanges between him and Janet’s mother, and the couple’s eventual divorce conversations.

Paul Kovacich is charged with murder with the enhancement of using a firearm in the Sept. 8, 1982 disappearance and murder of his wife. Paul Kovacich has pleaded not guilty.

Since his trial began last month, the defendant has remained silent and attentive during court proceedings. On Thursday, his voice echoed from a speaker in the courtroom as prosecutors played a three-and-a-half hour taped interview conducted on Sept. 15, 1982. The interview included Paul Kovacich and two local law enforcement officials.

At times, Prosecutor Suzanne Gazzaniga would stop the tape to question witness Johnnie Smith. Smith was an inspector with the Placer County Sheriff’s Office in September 1982 and was one of the two officials interviewing Paul Kovacich Sept. 15, 1982, the day of Janet Kovacich’s 28th birthday.

The interview began with Paul Kovacich calm and ended with a heated and ominous exchange between the accused and Auburn Police officer Dan Boone about the possible reasons for Janet Kovacich’s disappearance.

http://www.auburnjournal.com/detail/99076.html?content_source=&category_id=&search_filter=Paul+Kovacich&search_filter_mode=keyword&list_type=&order_by=&order_sort=&content_class=1&sub_type=&town_id=6

Wow... what a slimeball! You really have to read the whole article to see what a creep this guy is! :eek:

chicoliving
12-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Auburn resident recalls day she and her husband found human remains

For a few hours Thursday, a physical piece of Janet Kovacich was in the same room as her husband, who is charged with her murder 26 years ago.

~snip~

Prosecutors called forward a witness who found a skull in 1995 that DNA tests would confirm in October 2006 belonged to Janet Kovacich. They also had the patrolman who collected the skull bring it into the courtroom on Thursday.

Auburn resident Susan Satterlee told the jury that she and her husband found an unusual object when they were taking a casual walk along Lake Rollins in October 1995.

“My husband was very astonished to find a round orb in the mud,” Satterlee said. “He recognized it right away as a skull.”

Satterlee said the couple immediately returned to their home to call the Placer County Sheriff’s Office.

http://www.auburnjournal.com/detail/100358.html

MagicRose99
12-05-2008, 07:38 PM
There you are Chico! Thanks for the update! Everytime I go look there hasn't been much of anything....

chicoliving
12-13-2008, 04:26 AM
Forensic anthropologist Patrick Willey said he’s not really a gambling man, but admitted to making a modest, informal bet back in 1995 when he was examining an “unnatural” hole in Janet Kovacich’s skull.

~snip~

In response to questions from prosecutor Suzanne Gazzaniga, Willey said in 1995 he determined the skull belonged to a white female who had died between the ages of 25 and 50. He qualified the statement by saying that analyzing age by the skull is still considered an “irregular” and “unpredictable” method.

He also discussed his analysis of a hole in the right side of the skull. He told the jury that the hole was “unnatural” as was the fracture line that radiates from it.

“Skulls have lots of holes in them, but this is one most skulls don’t have,” Willey said.

He added that the fracture line indicated that something happened to the skull while it was “still fresh and vital.”

Thirteen years ago, Willey said he had an opinion about what caused the “circular defect.”

“It appeared to be an entrance gunshot wound entering from the person’s right side,” Willey said.

http://www.auburnjournal.com/detail/100875.html?content_source=&category_id=2&search_filter=&search_filter_mode=&list_type=&order_by=&order_sort=&content_class=1&sub_type=&town_id=6

MagicRose99
01-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Diane Marie Ambrose burst out in tears and could hardly finish a sentence when a family portrait of a young Kovacich clan was displayed on a large television screen in a Placer County courtroom Tuesday.

“I just want to breathe for a minute,” Ambrose said between tears. “This picture has got to go.”

After the prosecution rested Tuesday afternoon, Ambrose was the first witness called by defense attorney John Spurling for the trial of his client, Paul Kovacich.

Kovacich, a former Placer County Sheriff’s sergeant, has pleaded not guilty to a charge of murder with the use of a firearm in the Sept. 8, 1982 death and disappearance of his wife, Janet Kovacich.

Ambrose was asked about her relationship with Janet Kovacich. Ambrose said she met the mother of two about eight weeks before her disappearance. Janet Kovacich had signed up her son, John, to play soccer on the team Ambrose was going to coach.

Spurling asked Ambrose to review a police report of her interview with a detective a few days after Janet Kovacich’s disappearance. In the report, Ambrose told police she had been friends with Janet Kovacich since Aug. 12, 1982.

Ambrose said she couldn’t remember the exact time they met.

http://www.auburnjournal.com/detail/102662.html?content_source=&category_id=&search_filter=Paul+Kovacich&search_filter_mode=keyword&list_type=&order_by=&order_sort=&content_class=1&sub_type=&town_id=6

MagicRose99
01-16-2009, 05:43 PM
Week of 1/20 will be closing arguments for this case. (Small mention of it in an article on a different topic)

ohiogirl
01-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Hard to tell from the articles, but it doesn't sound like they have very much to convict on. What does anyone else think?

Wildcat
01-22-2009, 12:51 AM
http://auburnjournal.com/detail/103892.html

Paul Kovacich is the only person who stood to lose so much from his wife starting a new life and in turn, could gain so much from her death, the prosecution in Paul Kovacich’s trial said in its closing arguments.

The defense, however, said Paul Kovacich was nothing more than a loving husband and father who is not capable of killing his wife.

Wildcat
01-22-2009, 05:34 AM
http://www.theunion.com/article/20090122/NEWS/901229983/1053

In closing arguments Tuesday, Placer County prosecutor Dave Tellman painted a picture of Kovacich as abusive and controlling. Kovacich’s attorney, John Spurling, characterized Janet Kovacich as a “troubled young woman” who sought to paint her husband in an unflattering light.

Niner
01-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Hard to tell from the articles, but it doesn't sound like they have very much to convict on. What does anyone else think?

Hey ohiogirl! Sounds to me - from the articles that I have read - that the prosecution has enough to convict... I guess the jury is deliberating as I type??? or do they start on Monday? anyone?

Niner
01-24-2009, 05:39 PM
:Welcome-12-june:

to WS ohiogirl and wildcat!!

:purplebananna:

Wildcat
01-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Hey ohiogirl! Sounds to me - from the articles that I have read - that the prosecution has enough to convict... I guess the jury is deliberating as I type??? or do they start on Monday? anyone?

The trial went to the jury before lunch last Wednesday. They don't deliberate on Fridays. Possibly a verdict late this coming week... (?)

The prosecution did a very good job. However, a lot of time has elapsed since Janet disappeared.

ohiogirl
01-27-2009, 11:26 AM
No word yet, hung jury?

Wildcat
01-27-2009, 02:42 PM
No word yet, hung jury?

I am sure they needed some time.. It was a 4 month trial with a huge number (can't remember maybe 750) of exhibits and ~ 75 witnesses. I believe that some of the exhibits (like a ~marriage diary~) were not completely read in court, so the jury might need to review.

If I were to guess (and a complete guess)... verdict on Thursday (so the jury can get on with there lives next week).

Wildcat
01-27-2009, 07:37 PM
http://auburnjournal.com/detail/104379.html

Attorneys for the prosecution and defense are convening in a Roseville courtroom this afternoon to hear the jury's verdict.

More information will be posted when available.

Wildcat
01-27-2009, 07:57 PM
http://www.theunion.com/article/20090127/NEWS/901279968

After 26 years of speculation and doubt, the verdict finally is in — Paul Kovacich was found guilty of murder with the use of a firearm in the Sept. 8, 1982 death and disappearance of his wife, Janet Kovacich.

I will try to post links to some good summary articles when available.

chicoliving
01-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Good to hear!

Wildcat
01-27-2009, 08:23 PM
http://www.sacbee.com/latest/story/1578187.html

Paul R. Kovacich Jr., a former Placer County sheriff's sergeant, was convicted this afternoon of first-degree murder in the slaying of his wife 26 years ago.

A Placer County jury that had been out since Thursday convicted Kovacich, who now faces 25 years to life in Janet Kovacich's murder.

Note: The jury actually went out late Wednesday and evidently deliberated Wednesday afternoon, Thursday, Monday, and part of Tuesday.

Suzanne Gazzaniga and Dave Tellman of the Placer County's District Attorney's Office put on a very good prosecution. Dave Tellman did a great job on Closing Arguments. It was a challenging case because of the passage of so much time.

John Spurling with the Placer County mounted a very effective and aggressive defense.

The jury appeared to be very conscientious and engaged through the four month trial.

MagicRose99
01-27-2009, 08:46 PM
Yeah!!! JUSTICE FOR JANET!!! Yeah!!!

Wildcat
01-27-2009, 09:17 PM
http://auburnjournal.com/detail/104392.html

Article by By Jenifer Gee Auburn Journal Staff Writer (who attended most of the trial).

The defendant did not display emotion and kept his head down as the jury was asked individually to answer whether or not their verdict was guilty of first-degree murder and agreeing that the allegation of the use of firearm was true.

Each juror said, “yes.”

Paul Kovacich was remanded into custody. He remained seated as court bailiff’s secured handcuffs around him.
He will appear again in Placer County Superior Court at 1:30 p.m. Feb. 20 in Dept. 4 in the historic Auburn courthouse.

ohiogirl
01-28-2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks for all the updates everyone.

Niner
02-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Thanks WildOne for all your updates!!

YES!! Guilty!!!

:behindbar :clap: :clap:

MagicRose99
02-08-2009, 06:18 PM
http://auburnjournal.com/detail/104392.html

Article by By Jenifer Gee Auburn Journal Staff Writer (who attended most of the trial).

I'm confused about this article... it says:
"Judge Mark Curry said a gag order, prohibiting anyone involved with case from discussing it publicly, will remain in place until a February hearing. The defense has issued a motion to dismiss."

What are they trying to dismiss?!?! He's been tried and convicted... you can't just dismiss the case as if it never happened...

Can anyone shed any light for this simpleton?!?!?

Niner
02-15-2009, 01:25 PM
I'm confused about this article... it says:
"Judge Mark Curry said a gag order, prohibiting anyone involved with case from discussing it publicly, will remain in place until a February hearing. The defense has issued a motion to dismiss."

What are they trying to dismiss?!?! He's been tried and convicted... you can't just dismiss the case as if it never happened...

Can anyone shed any light for this simpleton?!?!?

Yes, I saw that on page one of my Auburn Journal this morning.... thinking the same thing!! How can you 'dismiss' if the trial has already taken place.... strange indeed!!

DEPUTYDAWG
02-18-2009, 08:37 AM
Yay! :woohoo:

Wildcat
02-21-2009, 12:14 AM
http://auburnjournal.com/detail/106608.html

Defense Attorney John Spurling’s motion to dismiss outlines his argument that pre-trial prejudice prevented the defendant from a fair proceeding.

Spurling indicated he intends to call a witness at the hearing

Next hearing at 1 p.m. March 6 in Department 4 in the historic courthouse in Old Town Auburn.

Niner
02-21-2009, 01:17 PM
http://auburnjournal.com/detail/106608.html

Next hearing at 1 p.m. March 6 in Department 4 in the historic courthouse in Old Town Auburn.

okay - marked my calendar for this date! I will try and be there... if I don't find a job by then... since it's so close!

Wildcat
03-10-2009, 03:43 AM
http://auburnjournal.com/detail/108157.html

Prosecution calls DNA expert in Kovacich hearing
Defense expected to bring more witnesses
By Jenifer Gee Journal Staff Writer

Prosecutors recalled a DNA expert to the stand in an effort to solidify a murder conviction for Paul Kovacich Jr. Monday.
In January, the former Placer County Sheriff’s sergeant was convicted of murder with the use of a firearm in the Sept. 8, 1982 death and disappearance of his wife, Janet Kovacich.

Hearing continues at 9 am Tuesday in Historic Auburn Courthouse

ohiogirl
03-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Wonder why no reporting on this hearing last few days.

Wildcat
03-12-2009, 08:03 PM
http://auburnjournal.com/detail/108508.html

In the motion to dismiss, public defender John Spurling asserted that his client was not able to present evidence or witnesses that could have helped exonerate him. During the hearing, Spurling brought forward witnesses to try to prove that point.

The prosecution has rebutted this claim and recalled a DNA expert to the stand during the hearing to solidify their position.

Court will reconvene March 18 at 9 a.m. in Department 4 on the 3rd floor of the historic courthouse in Auburn.

Niner
03-16-2009, 08:08 PM
didn't make it to the first "dismiss" trial, and looks like I won't make it to the one this Wednesday... have a job interview!!!!

Again - Wildone - thanks for the updates!! Are you going to the hearing Wednesday???

Wildcat
03-19-2009, 09:04 PM
http://auburnjournal.com/detail/108954.html

Judge upholds Kovacich conviction

http://www.theunion.com/article/20090319/NEWS/903189954/1001/NONE

Kovacich murder conviction upheld

Sentencing is scheduled for 9 a.m. April 24 in Department 4 of Placer County Superior Court in the Historic Auburn Courthouse.

mikeysmommom
03-19-2009, 10:59 PM

http://www.theunion.com/article/20090319/NEWS/903189954/1001/NONE

Sentencing is scheduled for 9 a.m. April 24 in Department 4 of Placer County Superior Court in the Historic Auburn Courthouse.

Thank You for the update. Justice at last for Janet.:clap::clap::clap:

MagicRose99
03-20-2009, 09:24 AM
You know, there is no statute of limitations on murder... HOW did they think this reason would fly to overturn a conviction? :doh:

From the link:
Judge Mark S. Curry in a hearing at the historic courthouse in Auburn rejected the defense’s claims that the former Placer County Sheriff’s sergeant was denied a fair trial because too much time had elapsed between the death of his wife, Janet, and his indictment.

In their motion to dismiss the Jan. 26 conviction, defense attorneys said evidence that could have corroborated Paul Kovacich’s version of events had been destroyed in the 26 years since Janet disappeared.

chicoliving
04-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Prosecutors are asking a Placer County judge to sentence a former sheriff's deputy to 27 years to life in prison for murdering his wife 26 years ago.

Paul Kovacich Jr. faces sentencing today for shooting Janet Kovacich in 1982.

http://www.kcra.com/news/19273107/detail.html

MagicRose99
04-24-2009, 06:13 PM
AUBURN, Calif. -- A former Placer County sheriff's deputy was sentenced Friday to 25 years to life for various charges in connection with his wife's death.

http://www.kcra.com/news/19273107/detail.html

Wildcat
04-24-2009, 06:41 PM
http://cbs13.com/local/kovacich.auburn.killing.2.993930.html

Apparently 27 years..

I am sure there will be a more detailed article in the Auburn Journal soon.

Wildcat
04-24-2009, 06:44 PM
http://auburnjournal.com/detail/112678.html

See Auburnjournal.com for updates and Sunday's Journal for a complete story.

Wildcat
04-27-2009, 02:16 AM
http://auburnjournal.com/detail/112746.html

When Jean Gregoire was on her deathbed, one of the last requests she asked of her son was to never forget his sister, Janet Kovacich, and her children.

And they died never seeing their daughter’s killer made to answer for his crime.