PDA

View Full Version : Found Deceased WI - Bobby Mayotte, 11, Ashland, 1988

Maybe So
11-08-2003, 03:40 PM
I hear on the radio that the remains of a boy missing for 15 years have been found in New Odanah in a ravine. DNA testing has not yet been done...but they have reason to believe it is Bobby Mayotte, who was only 11 at the time of his disapearance.

Police are interviewing 2 men, who were his playmates. This was once thought to be a kidnapping but now they say it was a "tragic accident involving a fire arm". They were fooling around with a gun and accidently killed him. They then buried him.

This is only 40 miles from my home. On the Bad River Indian Reservation. I always wondered about this boy. I felt that he may have fallen into the Bad River and been washed downriver into Lake Superior.....apparently not.

His family apparently wants justice. I don't understand....if they were only 10 and it was an accident at the time....what can you do about it now?

If it was an accident then their only crime was keeping it a secret...not hard to fathom kids of 11 or 12 keeping this a secret. Isn't there a statute of limitations that ran out while they were still underage?

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/news/7213248.htm

http://www.fbi.gov/mostwant/kidnap/mayotte.htm

Casshew
11-08-2003, 03:43 PM
It is great that he was finally found, it can give a little bit of closure to the family and they can have a funeral for him.

Even if they never find out what really happened - at least he is found.

Cass...

Maybe So
11-08-2003, 03:56 PM
I also feel sorry for his playmates. This probably ate at them and emotionally comsumed that as kids. You would think it would have been apparent that they had had something terrible happen.

As they grew older they probably knew that they should have told....but were even more afraid because they had waited so long.

They must have felt so much guilt as they became adults and realized what his family was going through. Yet still were most likely very afraid.

I wonder that one of them didn't call in an anonymous tip long ago.

They are probably actually relieved to have it out in the open. As I said, it probably was never far from their minds through their whole lives. They were only very young children when it happened. I don't understand what they can be prosecuted for now as adults?

Norma
11-08-2003, 11:45 PM
How Sad. And it sounds like Bobby's brother is going to make sure that this ends up in court.

Jovin
11-13-2003, 10:31 AM
How can you be sure it was an accident? I don't understand. I know it's hard to imagine young kids at that age doing anything so terrible on purpose, but it does happen.