PDA

View Full Version : Born into abuse

WasBlind
12-17-2003, 10:26 PM
Most of the links had expired, but I found a new one

http://www.talkaboutparenting.com/group/alt.adoption/messages/409559.html

God bless these families for adopting these special needs kids. I think their lives will be filled with miracles.
Merry Christmas, everyone

Mommyof5
12-18-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by Amraann
As wonderful as there story has turned out this statement ceriously bothered me.

But somehow Hannah senses the importance of this day. The test will decide whether Hannah is allowed to enter mainstream kindergarten or whether she must spend a few hours a day with special-needs students.

Furthermore if Hannah's mother thinks or was told by the school that the briggance test would determine Hannah's placement either she is misinformed or more likely the school lied to her.

I am also bothered...but this is the norm...so it's expected.

*allowed* jeeze, how nice of them to *allow* placement if this little one performs on the test (which is illegal)! How about some FULL inclusion with supports if needed! Unfortunately, this parent doesn't have full knowledge of the IDEA laws...and the school district isn't going to educate the mother either. So-you are probably right on both accounts. Wouldn't it be nice if children with delays/disabilities were *allowed* to learn like everyone else...and maybe given a chance to be sucessful. Children can learn from other children.
Classic example: I don't understand why they would put all the non-talkers in one class...who are they going to model--another non-talker? These parents are also told that they don't need speech therapy because they don't talk too!

Sometimes I think the schools would rather segregate than educate...because it is easier for them. I pray for the day when I don't have to fight for the right to have my children educated with their peers...I doubt it will be in my lifetime, but I take steps in that direction everyday.

Anyway we could contact the reporter and get the mom advocacy website info amraann?
Advocate in CA

ajt400
12-18-2003, 11:27 AM
Do you think that a child in a special education class is not with it's peers?

Mommyof5
12-18-2003, 12:26 PM
I think children should be with children. Many times special ed is not same age peers.

seamless
12-18-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by ajt400
Do you think that a child in a special education class is not with it's peers?

I do not think that a child in a special education class is necessarily with their peers. I consider my childs peers to those children that are in his age bracket. The children in his special education classroom may or may not be 8 years old. Some are in preschool some are in fifth grade. These children are not going to help him learn how to behave or speak in the manner that children his age should.

Most parents of disabled children would like their children to function in society as an independent adult when they are grown. They need to be with their peers to learn social skills and other important life skills.

ajt400
12-18-2003, 03:47 PM
That is true. Although, you cannot really even measure peers by age.

ajt400
12-18-2003, 03:47 PM
Are they putting a child that is 11 or 12 with kids in first grade?

seamless
12-18-2003, 04:58 PM
Are they putting a child that is 11 or 12 with kids in first grade?

In my school district, unless a child is proufoundly mentally retarded, they are in regular classrooms as much as possible. They are pulled out and put into special ed classrooms to receive help with specific subjects. They may not be with a child several years older during the lessons but yes, they are in the same classroom.

As far as not judging peers by age I understand what you are saying but, it is important that they see how children their own age behave. My son is judged in public by age, he looks like an 8-year old and that is how people expect him to behave. I feel the children his age are his peers, that is who he needs to, and does spend his time with. Children learn a lot from each other. It should be with children within their own age group.

Ghostwheel
12-19-2003, 02:51 AM
Are they putting a child that is 11 or 12 with kids in first grade? All districts are different. In some, you can have Kindergarten level in with fifth or sixth grade levels. Most districts are trying to get away from that and have the children "mainstream" as must as possible, and be pulled out for special instruction for only a few hours (max) a day. But there are a lot of teachers who only want children who fit into some arbitrary box that has been defined so they can slap a number label on the child (this one gets 85 in math, 90 in spelling and 50 in reading) They don't like anything that makes them have to step out of their box and actually think about HOW a particular kid learns.