PDA

View Full Version : 14-Year Old Driver Plows Into DayCare

Jeana (DP)
05-25-2005, 05:02 PM
Car owner sorry for day-care crash
02:36 PM CDT on Wednesday, May 25, 2005

The owner of the car that careened into a plate-glass window of a day-care center apologized Wednesday for the accident that injured at least eight children, but said her 14-year-old cousin took the vehicle without permission.

“They had no business leaving in the first place,” said Lasandra Bass, 24, who received a citation for allowing an unlicensed person to drive.

At least one child remained hospitalized Wednesday after the Tuesday afternoon accident at the Dream House Learning Center in a Pleasant Grove shopping center.

Dallas police say a 14-year-old girl was driving when the car plowed through the day-care center in the 10000 block of Lake June Road near Masters Drive.

Police said late Tuesday that they plan to seek eight counts of injury to a child against the girl. Her name was not released because she is a juvenile, and it remained unclear whether she might face charges as an adult.

JEANA NOW:

This happened not too far from my office last night. I was crying at the thought of how many kids must have died. I can't imagine how none did, but also can't imagine what this kid was doing behind the wheel. This after a tractor trailer truck driver fell asleep at the wheel and his truck hit a guardrail and bursts into flames. Of course, he was carrying paint thinner and its toxic.

Anyway, the story about the idiot girl is at:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/052605dnmetdaycare.2aca8d91a.html

Remember, you don't have to register to read. Go to www.bugmenot.com

Jeana (DP)
05-25-2005, 05:04 PM
From the aritcle:

One young girl, pinned under the car, screamed, "Please don't let me die! Please take the car off my leg!" Another girl under the car whimpered from her injuries.

The car's engine was still running, with hip-hop music blaring from the radio.

"The only thing I could think is, 'We've got to pick this car up,' " Mr. Howell said.

About five people – including Mr. Howell, his brother and a man who had just arrived from a plasma donation center after giving blood – surrounded the car, grabbing it and counting.

"One ... two ... three ... lift!"

They raised it up and pulled the girls to safety.

05-25-2005, 05:07 PM
Please, someone...find this kid and the adult and give them a swift kick in the arse for me...pretty please.

LadyGraffix@mac.com
05-25-2005, 05:09 PM
It was reported on nbc5 news at 6:00 this morning that a 26 year-old cousin was also in the vehicle when the accident occurred. They said authorities were working to determine why the 14 year-old was driving with the older cousin in the vehicle.

I know sometimes the media gets it wrong . . . have you heard that anywhere??

Jeana (DP)
05-25-2005, 05:10 PM
They showed two adult females on the news last night laughing. I think they came out of the car.

LadyGraffix@mac.com
05-25-2005, 05:39 PM
They showed two adult females on the news last night laughing. I think they came out of the car.

Laughing??? :eek:

Have you seen what the vehicle is?? I swear on the news this morning they were talking about the two girls being trapped underneath the "truck", but the article mentions a car. If its a truck, I'm curious if it was an extended cab?? The news made it sound like there were several people in the vehicle.

Jeana (DP)
05-25-2005, 05:43 PM
Laughing??? :eek:

Have you seen what the vehicle is?? I swear on the news this morning they were talking about the two girls being trapped underneath the "truck", but the article mentions a car. If its a truck, I'm curious if it was an extended cab?? The news made it sound like there were several people in the vehicle.

Yes, laughing. They said there were 4-5 people in the vehicle. Two ran away from what I heard on the news, but they showed one female sitting in the backseat of a car (don't know if it was the ONE) and one standing next to the open door, and she was laughing. I also read that at least one, maybe both of the people that ran from the scene were laughing.

I think it was a Kia or something similar. The men lifted off of two little girls, so it wan't huge. They were commenting that had it been a larger model, there's no way one of the kids wouldn't have been killed.

LadyGraffix@mac.com
05-25-2005, 05:51 PM
The men lifted off of two little girls, so it wan't huge. They were commenting that had it been a larger model, there's no way one of the kids wouldn't have been killed.

Good point.

I'll be keeping an eye on this one, just because its so close. It broke my heart this morning hearing about the girls trapped underneath and one of them having severe burns from it.

I'd like to see an interview with the car's owner. If you happen to notice a station airing one, could you let me know which channel?

Jeana (DP)
05-25-2005, 05:58 PM
Good point.

I'll be keeping an eye on this one, just because its so close. It broke my heart this morning hearing about the girls trapped underneath and one of them having severe burns from it.

I'd like to see an interview with the car's owner. If you happen to notice a station airing one, could you let me know which channel?

You bet! So far, this is all we know about her:

The owner of the car that careened into a plate-glass window of a day-care center apologized Wednesday for the accident that injured at least eight children, but said her 14-year-old cousin took the vehicle without permission.

“They had no business leaving in the first place,” said Lasandra Bass, 24, who received a citation for allowing an unlicensed person to drive.