PDA

View Full Version : Crane climber closes Peachtree - accused of killing GF

05-26-2005, 08:54 AM
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/0505/26crane.html

Atlanta police Thursday morning remained in a stalemate with a Florida murder suspect perched atop an 18-story crane in the heart of Buckhead.

"We're not in any rush, and he's not a threat to anybody other than to himself," said Atlanta police Sgt. John Quigley.

The man, identified by Florida authorities as 41-year-old Carl Edward Roland, climbed the construction crane about 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, and has refused to come down.
According to a press release from the Pinellas County, Fla., sheriff's office, Roland, whose last known address was in Clearwater, is suspected in the slaying of his former girlfriend, 36-year-old Jennifer Gonzalez.

The woman's badly beaten body was discovered Tuesday afternoon in a retention pond near her home in Oldsmar, Fla.

FACE-IT
05-26-2005, 10:06 AM

Atlanta police Thursday morning remained in a stalemate with a Florida murder suspect perched atop an 18-story crane in the heart of Buckhead.

"We're not in any rush, and he's not a threat to anybody other than to himself," said Atlanta police Sgt. John Quigley.

The man, identified by Florida authorities as 41-year-old Carl Edward Roland, climbed the construction crane about 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, and has refused to come down.
According to a press release from the Pinellas County, Fla., sheriff's office, Roland, whose last known address was in Clearwater, is suspected in the slaying of his former girlfriend, 36-year-old Jennifer Gonzalez.

The woman's badly beaten body was discovered Tuesday afternoon in a retention pond near her home in Oldsmar, Fla.He's not going anywhere, that's for sure. Now all we need is a really good lightning storm; it might save the State of FL a considerable amount of money.

concernedperson
05-26-2005, 10:12 AM
He's not going anywhere, that's for sure. Now all we need is a really good lightning storm; it might save the State of FL a considerable amount of money.

Sunny and cool today...no lightening in the forecast. But we don't know how long he will stay up there....

05-26-2005, 10:23 AM
It's been sort of windy the past few days at my house (180 miles south). Would it be a shame if the wind picked-up a bit in Atlanta?

lady-eowyn
05-26-2005, 10:35 AM
Oh, so that's where the coward ran too...let him jump. I'm sorry, but I get so sick of these criminals being put on suicide watch and police trying to stop these idiots from hurting themselves. Like one of the construction workers said, it's costing them a day's pay :mad: Freakin' coward...get a sharp shooter out there and it would take care of the problem.

concernedperson
05-26-2005, 10:41 AM
Oh, so that's where the coward ran too...let him jump. I'm sorry, but I get so sick of these criminals being put on suicide watch and police trying to stop these idiots from hurting themselves. Like one of the construction workers said, it's costing them a day's pay :mad: Freakin' coward...get a sharp shooter out there and it would take care of the problem.

CNN just said they are on a slight delay while they show the perp on the crane .....just in case, I guess!

robinparten
05-26-2005, 10:44 AM
I live here and work a few miles away from this mess..............traffic is a nightmare. I can't believe they didn't get him down from there overnight. When do you think he will pee?

lady-eowyn
05-26-2005, 10:51 AM
When do you think he will pee?
My question is where will his pee land when he does pee? Ewwww!!!

concernedperson
05-26-2005, 10:51 AM
I live here and work a few miles away from this mess..............traffic is a nightmare. I can't believe they didn't get him down from there overnight. When do you think he will pee?

I'm staying away from Buckhead today...will change my plans until tomorrow. Between that moron and the water main break it is too much.

He will be getting pretty dehydrated pretty soon...no water etc.

FACE-IT
05-26-2005, 10:52 AM
In lieu of the lightning storm, if we could only get the crane operator, to accidentally jerk the boom a little, while he is trying to lower it.

robinparten
05-26-2005, 11:03 AM
I'm staying away from Buckhead today...will change my plans until tomorrow. Between that moron and the water main break it is too much.

You are so right, I work immediately south of the water main and I am just over that whole thing. I think the entire city is going to fall into some sewage cesspool at some point.

sharon25
05-26-2005, 02:50 PM

"With temperatures about 60 degrees F at 10 a.m. Thursday, Roland approached authorities stationed on a platform at the end of the crane and accepted a jacket before moving back a few feet and sitting. Shortly afterward, he moved again -- farther out on the crane.

Authorities have been giving the man food and water, an Atlanta Fire Department official. To keep him from falling asleep, officials have blared a bullhorn occasionally."
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/26/crane.man/index.html

ok, I'm sorry, but that is just dumb.
why give him a jacket AND food AND water.
he climbed up there, he can climb down for those things.

FACE-IT
05-26-2005, 03:01 PM
Authorities have been giving the man food and water, an Atlanta Fire Department official. To keep him from falling asleep, officials have blared a bullhorn occasionally."

he climbed up there, he can climb down for those things.I used to believe that Atlanta Fire Dept. Officials, like all Fire Dept. Officials everywhere, deserved my respect. Apparently I was mistaken about the Atlanta Fire Dept. Officials. Even cats will climb down out of the tops of trees if they get hungry, or thirsty enough. Talk about dumb (the guy on top of the crane) and dumber (the Atlanta Fire Dept. Officials).

Jeana (DP)
05-26-2005, 03:05 PM
I used to believe that Atlanta Fire Dept. Officials, like all Fire Dept. Officials everywhere, deserved my respect. Apparently I was mistaken about the Atlanta Fire Dept. Officials. Even cats will climb down out of the tops of trees if they get hungry, or thirsty enough. Talk about dumb (the guy on top of the crane) and dumber (the Atlanta Fire Dept. Officials).

Cheaper than a lawsuit when the idiot falls and kills himself. :D :D

FACE-IT
05-26-2005, 03:12 PM
Cheaper than a lawsuit when the idiot falls and kills himself. :D :DHis family is going to sue Atlanta for not protecting him, against himself??? Somehow I really don't think that suit would prevail.

FACE-IT
05-26-2005, 03:14 PM
His family is going to sue Atlanta for not protecting him, against himself??? Somehow I really don't think that suit would prevail.
Or how about: "He accidentally fell to his death while trying to escape capture."

lisag
05-26-2005, 03:31 PM
His family is going to sue Atlanta for not protecting him, against himself??? Somehow I really don't think that suit would prevail.

Yes it would. LE has a duty to protect him, even it is from himself. If LE knows someone wants to harm themselves, they have to do everything in their power to stop it.. If they failed to do so, the family, I am sure, would sue sue sue... and more than likely, they would win.

Jeana (DP)
05-26-2005, 03:37 PM

You mean to tell me you've never heard of a stupid lawsuit??? Just because there's a slim chance of prevailing, doesn't mean that it won't happen darlin.

AliSleuth
05-26-2005, 04:52 PM
My question is where will his pee land when he does pee? Ewwww!!!

I got that same question

what an idiot, why go up a crane and where is that going to get him? He would have been better off blending in with the homeless downtown. They just arrested a man in Marietta for murders 14 years ago, he blended. The sad part is this is going to cost the state of Georgia more money. We had a rash of people threatening to jump off the over passes here and now they're putting fencing up on all the ones I've seen. Guess the crane operators will either have to stay with their cranes, get security or move them every night.

mere
05-26-2005, 04:58 PM
Who was arrested in marietta??

Jeana (DP)
05-26-2005, 05:32 PM
I got that same question

what an idiot, why go up a crane and where is that going to get him? He would have been better off blending in with the homeless downtown. They just arrested a man in Marietta for murders 14 years ago, he blended. The sad part is this is going to cost the state of Georgia more money. We had a rash of people threatening to jump off the over passes here and now they're putting fencing up on all the ones I've seen. Guess the crane operators will either have to stay with their cranes, get security or move them every night.

LOL I think this dude crawled up there while they were actually on site!

mysteriew
05-26-2005, 05:48 PM
Ok I have the solution to this one. Due to the murder this guy has a right to an attorney, right? Introduce him to his defense attorney. Tell the attorney it is now his responsibility and walk off and give them their unmonitored time to discuss the case. The guy will either jump or he will come down to talk to his attorney. :angel:

Jovin
05-26-2005, 05:54 PM
......Authorities have been giving the man food and water, an Atlanta Fire Department official. To keep him from falling asleep, officials have blared a bullhorn occasionally."

http://www.geocities.com/bat3193/smiley5/dumm.gif

They should have handed him a portable toilet! http://tinypic.com/5dts8k

Never mind "where does he pee?" I'm more concerned about the "other" part of that problem! I guess you could say he is probably "full of it" by now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/Jovin43/cat-car-jovin.gif

AliSleuth
05-27-2005, 08:22 AM
Who was arrested in marietta??

http://www.11alive.com/news/usnews_article.aspx?storyid=63675

.........Agents arrested 45-year-old Byron Scott, commonly known as Claudius Hanson, without incident and are holding him in connection with two drug-related murders committed in 1990. One took place in Philadelphia, while the other happened in New York........

mere
05-27-2005, 09:04 AM
Thanks Alisleuth:)

FACE-IT
05-27-2005, 09:46 AM
Yes it would. LE has a duty to protect him, even it is from himself. If LE knows someone wants to harm themselves, they have to do everything in their power to stop it.. If they failed to do so, the family, I am sure, would sue sue sue... and more than likely, they would win.Nope.

mysteriew
05-27-2005, 08:52 PM
I got up today thinking about this guy. Think he will ever come down?
Any good rain, wind, electrical storms due there anytime soon?

Jovin
05-27-2005, 08:58 PM
I got up today thinking about this guy. Think he will ever come down?
Any good rain, wind, electrical storms due there anytime soon?

Do I detect wishful thinking here? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/Jovin43/kittypeeingpants.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/Jovin43/jovinnewspaper.gif

mysteriew
05-27-2005, 10:46 PM
Do I detect wishful thinking here? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/Jovin43/kittypeeingpants.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/Jovin43/jovinnewspaper.gif

LOL, just hoping for some poetic justice!
You know, it is up to God to judge, and a girlfriend is murdered, guy goes up on a crane.........................

Jovin
05-27-2005, 10:53 PM
LOL, just hoping for some poetic justice!
You know, it is up to God to judge, and a girlfriend is murdered, guy goes up on a crane.........................

I sure hope he's wearing Depends! Can you imagine not having a bathroom break for this long? He must be sort of "full of it" by now...the rescuers would not want to get too close to this guy for more than one reason.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/Jovin43/lolguy.gif

mysteriew
05-28-2005, 05:46 AM
Temperatures will remain around 64. Skies will be clear to cloudy with 5 MPH winds from the northwest turning from the southwest as the overnight progresses.

Pharlap
05-28-2005, 06:01 AM
http://www.comcast.net/news/index.jsp?cat=GENERAL&fn=/2005/05/28/143182.html

I believe he's down on the ground now.....

Scoll down to the part where it says. he told people he wanted to get a gun and kill his girlfriend.
Why didn't the(inless I don't have all the info)acquaintances call the police then, before the killing?:waitasec:

FACE-IT
05-28-2005, 06:01 AM
Temperatures will remain around 64. Skies will be clear to cloudy with 5 MPH winds from the northwest turning from the southwest as the overnight progresses.
Today
May 28 Isolated T-Storms
81/61 30%
81 F

Protect Your Plants From the Heat
Sun
May 29 Partly Cloudy
83/64 20%
83 F

Mon
May 30 Scattered T-Storms
76/65 30%
76 F

Tue
May 31 Scattered T-Storms
77/61 50%
77 F

Get Tips for Driving in the Rain
Wed
Jun 1 Scattered T-Storms
75/63 60%
75 F

Thu
Jun 2 T-Showers
77/64 40%
77 F

Fri
Jun 3 Partly Cloudy
81/63 20%

mysteriew
05-28-2005, 06:05 AM
Ooohhh: heat, T-storms. He will come down soon! One way or another.

mysteriew
05-28-2005, 06:18 AM
A Florida murder suspect has a great view of Atlanta's skyline and of police who wait on him below.

This as he clings to a construction crane for a second day on Friday, 41-year-old Carl Edward Roland has been clinging to a 350-foot perch, high atop a construction crane in Atlanta for more than 48 hours now.

http://www.kptm.com/news/national/1583831.html

Pharlap
05-28-2005, 06:33 AM
http://www.comcast.net/news/index.jsp?cat=GENERAL&fn=/2005/05/28/143182.html

I believe he's down on the ground now.....

Scoll down to the part where it says. he told people he wanted to get a gun and kill his girlfriend.
Why didn't the(inless I don't have all the info)acquaintances call the police then, before the killing?:waitasec:

Fox news now, after 56 hours, he is down......:clap:

mysteriew
05-28-2005, 06:35 AM
I just heard that on the news. They are taking him to see a Doctor, after placing him under arrest. News says he came in because he was thirsty.

concernedperson
05-28-2005, 07:19 AM
I just heard that on the news. They are taking him to see a Doctor, after placing him under arrest. News says he came in because he was thirsty.

He was thirsty but they tasered him when he reached for the water.....

mysteriew
05-28-2005, 07:57 AM
LOL, they accidently discharged their taser, being jumpy due to fatigue and exposure to the weather, you mean?

FACE-IT
05-28-2005, 10:54 AM
I used to believe that Atlanta Fire Dept. Officials, like all Fire Dept. Officials everywhere, deserved my respect. Apparently I was mistaken about the Atlanta Fire Dept. Officials. Even cats will climb down out of the tops of trees if they get hungry, or thirsty enough. Talk about dumb (the guy on top of the crane) and dumber (the Atlanta Fire Dept. Officials).

The Atlanta Fire Dept. could have had him down on the first day, if they wouldn't have given him food and water to begin with. This went on for about 50 hours longer than it should have. Maybe they will learn from this.

mysteriew
05-28-2005, 06:28 PM
The Atlanta Fire Dept. could have had him down on the first day, if they wouldn't have given him food and water to begin with. This went on for about 50 hours longer than it should have. Maybe they will learn from this.

They are learning from these

"In June, 2001, a man fell to his death from a 200-foot-high crane at a construction site on Piedmont Road after a 20-hour standoff with police."

concernedperson
05-28-2005, 06:59 PM

Sir, I believe you incorrect in this assumption. They offered him food and water and he declined. Had he accepted, then he would have been zapped the first day. The first opportunity came at 12:31 a.m. today.

FACE-IT
05-28-2005, 07:07 PM
Sir, I believe you incorrect in this assumption. They offered him food and water and he declined. Had he accepted, then he would have been zapped the first day. The first opportunity came at 12:31 a.m. today.
"With temperatures about 60 degrees F at 10 a.m. Thursday, Roland approached authorities stationed on a platform at the end of the crane and accepted a jacket before moving back a few feet and sitting. Shortly afterward, he moved again -- farther out on the crane.

concernedperson
05-28-2005, 07:12 PM

Sir, please provide a link for that statement as I read the ajc daily and that was never up for discussion. It was always that they offered food and water and Mr. Roland declined.

FACE-IT
05-28-2005, 07:18 PM
cp, go back and read post#12 of this thread.

concernedperson
05-28-2005, 07:34 PM

Sir, I have read it and it said that he was offered food and water and he declined.

I don't mean to be argumentative but I feel that either you have a problem with me or the Atlanta area. I will freely admit that we have a bunch of nuts that have encroached lately...Jennifer Wilbanks (our own home grown)..Carl Rowland (murderer on the run)....Nichols (violent sex offender turned murderer) that have destroyed so many.I am always for the victims...always!

This is a big city. Where mistakes are made but mostly LE gets their perp.The North Georgia US Marshall's service is one of the best in the country. In this case,I don't think your facts are based with the reality of this case.

Schmerty_Jones
05-28-2005, 07:35 PM

FROM POST #12
At about 10 a.m. Thursday, Roland approached authorities stationed on a platform at the end of the crane and accepted a jacket before moving back a few feet and sitting. Shortly afterward, he moved again -- farther out on the crane.

"I think probably now, he appears to be very tired," Pennington said. "He appears to be hungry, and I'm sure at some point he's going to need some water as well. ... That sun is working on him."

:doh: Authorities have offered Roland food and water, but he has declined, he said. :o

The suspect was dozing off periodically, Pennington said, and officials have been using their sirens to keep him awake.

CNN's Sara Dorsey contributed to this report}

Buzz this is what it says on the link on POST#12. Note paragraphTHREE . I alaso heard on Fox news the same thing. HE REFUSED FOOD & WATER!

FACE-IT
05-28-2005, 07:41 PM
Sir, I have read it and it said that he was offered food and water and he declined.

I don't mean to be argumentative but I feel that either you have a problem with me or the Atlanta area. I will freely admit that we have a bunch of nuts that have encroached lately...Jennifer Wilbanks (our own home grown)..Carl Rowland (murderer on the run)....Nichols (violent sex offender turned murderer) that have destroyed so many.I am always for the victims...always!

This is a big city. Where mistakes are made but mostly LE gets their perp.The North Georgia US Marshall's service is one of the best in the country. In this case,I don't think your facts are based with the reality of this case.
cp, you are completely incorrect. I have no feelings about the Atlanta area, one way, or the other. I merely copied what was posted in post #12 of this thread, so if you have an issue with what I posted, take it up with whomever submitted post #12, and be done with it.

FACE-IT
05-28-2005, 07:50 PM
05-26-2005, 11:50 AM
sharon25
Registered User Join Date: Apr 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by concernedperson

Since the above was posted on 05-26, and the linked referenced article now has a date of 05-27, it can safely be assumed that the article has, in the meantime, been updated.

concernedperson
05-28-2005, 08:02 PM
FROM POST #12
At about 10 a.m. Thursday, Roland approached authorities stationed on a platform at the end of the crane and accepted a jacket before moving back a few feet and sitting. Shortly afterward, he moved again -- farther out on the crane.

"I think probably now, he appears to be very tired," Pennington said. "He appears to be hungry, and I'm sure at some point he's going to need some water as well. ... That sun is working on him."

:doh: Authorities have offered Roland food and water, but he has declined, he said. :o

The suspect was dozing off periodically, Pennington said, and officials have been using their sirens to keep him awake.

Buzz this is what it says on the link on POST#12. Note paragraphTHREE . I alaso heard on Fox news the same thing. HE REFUSED FOOD & WATER!

Thanks for your info. This is the exact info we have been getting for days! Can't interpret it any other way.

FACE-IT
05-28-2005, 08:10 PM
FROM POST #12

Buzz this is what it says on the link on POST#12. Note paragraphTHREE . I alaso heard on Fox news the same thing. HE REFUSED FOOD & WATER!No, this is post #12:

sharon25

Quote:

concernedperson
05-28-2005, 08:16 PM
No, this is post #12:

sharon25

Quote:

It plainly says that he was offered food and water and he declined.

mysteriew
05-28-2005, 08:16 PM
Purpose of offering him food and water: If he gets too miserable up there he will jump. It gives LE the openings for negotiation with him. Reaching for the jacket, etc. allows openings where maybe LE has a chance to make physical contact with him. Care has to taken in using the tazer as if applied at the wrong time, it could cause him to topple to the ground.

FACE-IT
05-28-2005, 08:35 PM
It plainly says that he was offered food and water and he declined.Right in Post #12

Authorities have been giving the man food and water,

The linked article, as I mentioned in an earlier post, has obviously been updated since post #12 was submitted.

concernedperson
05-28-2005, 09:21 PM
If anyone desires the full account...here it is!

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/0505/29crane.html

Timex
05-28-2005, 09:28 PM
Why dont you BOTH just agree that you were BOTH right?

The original story said they were giving him food and water.

The updated story said they offered him food and water and he refused to take it.

concernedperson
05-28-2005, 11:23 PM
Why dont you BOTH just agree that you were BOTH right?

The original story said they were giving him food and water.

The updated story said they offered him food and water and he refused to take it.

He always declined according to every news source that I have ever read. No one has showed another news source that said differently. It is a view only held by a myopic opinion. I am not egotistical as far as being right but I do value my integrity when it comes up....nothing else about his offered food and received is acknowledged. By no credible news source.

Timex
05-28-2005, 11:31 PM
On the 26th it was reported authorities were giving him food and water.

the above info was copied from the CNN link on the 25th.

On the 27th, the article was updated to say authorities were offering him food and water, but he was refusing them.

As often happens, reports change.

concernedperson
05-29-2005, 12:02 AM
[QUOTE=Timex]On the 26th it was reported authorities were giving him food and water.

the above info was copied from the CNN link on the 25th.

You have still failed to provide a news link. I can quote from the Bible but that doesn't make it true. The blaring of the horn has been reported repeatedly...the temp has been reported repeatedly the OFFER of food and water has been reported repeatedlt but the offer being DECLINED is repeated just as often. PLEASE provide a news link stating what you have quoted as that is not what is being reported i n the Atlanta Journal Constitution. Nor in CNN that I have found. I will be glad to give a mea culpa as soon as I need to.

On the 27th, the article was updated to say authorities were offering him food and water, but he was refusing them.

Timex
05-29-2005, 12:14 AM
You arent going to find the article any longer.

Note the date in the above URL...it says the 26th.

Now, note the date of the article...

Murder suspect perched atop crane
Negotiators just feet away 18 stories up
Friday, May 27, 2005 Posted: 3:27 AM EDT (0727 GMT)

It says the 27th...why? because they updated the article and didnt change the date in the URL. CNN does this with most small time articles. There really is no need to keep all copies avaliable.

concernedperson
05-29-2005, 12:23 AM

It says the 27th...why? because they updated the article and didnt change the date in the URL. CNN does this with most small time articles. There really is no need to keep all copies avaliable.

But the whole point is he never accepted any food or water until 12:31 today. And then he was tasered, never has it been reported that he was being fed or watered.......HE wasn't! Is this the twilight zone? What is wrong with reading comprehension here?

Details are to be skewed to fit an opinion whether it is wrong or not!

Timex
05-29-2005, 12:26 AM
hmmm I think I read well enough. When I read the statement saying he was being given food and water, I assumed it meant what it said. But hey, Im sure Im not the brightest crayon in the box.

mysteriew
05-29-2005, 12:47 AM
Does it really matter? He is down, he is in custody. Trial soon.

Pharlap
05-29-2005, 01:06 AM
The only link I found on the 26th so far is

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/05/26/Worldandnation/Local_murder_suspect_.shtml

;)

One for the 27th other then cnn....

http://www.nationalledger.com/scribe/archives/2005/05/murder_suspect.shtml

FACE-IT
05-30-2005, 02:58 PM
From an AOL article:

Roland, of Clearwater, Fla., left the hospital Sunday and faces new charges of criminal trespassing, reckless conduct and first-degree criminal damage to property, said Fulton County sheriff's Sgt. Nikita Adams-Hightower.

Considering that he is facing a first degree murder charge in Florida, for killing his girlfriend, I wouldn't think the additional charges, stemming from the crane incident, would be anything for Roland to worry about.

FACE-IT
05-30-2005, 10:31 PM

It says the 27th...why? because they updated the article and didnt change the date in the URL. CNN does this with most small time articles. There really is no need to keep all copies avaliable.I said the very same thing back a ways. Seems there is a problem in understanding the CNN article was updated, from what was in Post #12 on 05-26-05., to what was in the CNN updated article on 05-27-05. If they don't agree with that, then they are saying the poster, of Post #12, fabricated the statement made in her post.

robinparten
05-31-2005, 12:54 PM
I said the very same thing back a ways. Seems there is a problem in understanding the CNN article was updated, from what was in Post #12 on 05-26-05., to what was in the CNN updated article on 05-27-05. If they don't agree with that, then they are saying the poster, of Post #12, fabricated the statement made in her post.
Here is a quote from the local news here.......

www.wsbradio.com (http://www.wsbradio.com)

Negotiator Describes Talks With Roland (WSB Radio) Atlanta Police Detective Vincent Velazquez says despite what some may think, the handling of the 56-hour stand-off with a murder suspect couldn't have been handled any better.

"I think it was textbook, to be quite honest with you," said Velazquez in an interview Monday.

WSB's Jennifer Griffies reports Velazquez was one of 13 Atlanta Police negotiators who all took turns trying to convince 41-year-old Carl Roland to come peacefully off a 350-foot-high construction crane on Peachtree Road in Buckhead last week. But it was Velazquez to whom Roland eventually seemed to warm up-almost literally.

"I'm the one that gave him the coat. I'm sure that played a part in it," says Velazquez. "He told me he appreciated that, and I think that probably played a role in him trusting me."

Velazquez emphasizes that it was a team effort, however, which led to Roland's capture. After nearly three days on the crane without food or water, Velazquez says, Roland's resolve was weakened, and police used a stun gun on him as he reached out for a cup of water.

Roland was hesitant to cross a spool of tension cable which separated him from negotiators on the platform at the crane's junction, but Velazquez says that was the only position from which police felt they could've taken him in safely-especially if he balked at the last moment. Finally, "he trusted us that he was going to be okay," Velazquez says, and crawled across the spool, stretching his arm out for the water. "To put it bluntly, he was worn down," says Velazquez. "Although he told me he could go another day, he felt he could go another day, I don't think he could've. I think inside he knew he had nothing left." Roland drank a bottle and a half of water after police had him safely handcuffed.

05-31-2005, 01:39 PM
hummmm...I wonder if he showed his GF as much compassion when he beat her to death...ya know, offer her a jacket and a cup of water?

sharon25
05-31-2005, 02:07 PM
I said the very same thing back a ways. Seems there is a problem in understanding the CNN article was updated, from what was in Post #12 on 05-26-05., to what was in the CNN updated article on 05-27-05. If they don't agree with that, then they are saying the poster, of Post #12, fabricated the statement made in her post.
I can assure you that I did not fabricate anything.
I posted exactly what appeared, the original
statement was that they were giving him food and water.

It didn't state that he had declined.
That apparently came out afterwards.

FACE-IT
05-31-2005, 02:38 PM
I can assure you that I did not fabricate anything.
I posted exactly what appeared, the original
statement was that they were giving him food and water.

It didn't state that he had declined.
That apparently came out afterwards.Yes, I know that, and fully understand. My post was for the benefit of others, who seem to think we were both making things up.

sharon25
05-31-2005, 03:50 PM
Yes, I know that, and fully understand. My post was for the benefit of others, who seem to think we were both making things up.

;)

I think we both have better things to do with our time!
Whatever happened to Don't Shoot the Messenger???!!! ;)

:innocent: