PDA

View Full Version : Found Deceased CA - David Gonzales, 9, San Bernardino Mountains, 31 July 2004

CaliMom
08-02-2004, 02:10 PM
Search For Missing 9-Year-Old Enters Critical Phase
Boy Camping With Family, Went To Get Cookies

POSTED: 6:08 pm PDT August 1, 2004
UPDATED: 8:41 am PDT August 2, 2004

BIG BEAR LAKE, Calif. -- A 9-year-old-boy who disappeared while camping with his family in the San Bernardino Mountains remained missing for a second day, and a friend said his family was concerned about reports that a truck was seen speeding from the area about the time he disappeared.

More....

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/3604213/detail.html

Juliana
08-02-2004, 07:30 PM
I can't find any updates, but I'm praying for this boy.

imo

CaliKid
08-03-2004, 12:33 PM
The search for a 9-year-old boy who disappeared after leaving his family's mountain campsite to retrieve cookies from the family truck entered a fourth day Tuesday...

http://www.thesandiegochannel.com/news/3609956/detail.html?treets=sand&tml=sand_9am&ts=T&tmi=sand_9am_1_11000108032004

CaliMom
08-03-2004, 02:25 PM
Searchers Hopeful Missing Boy Is Alive

POSTED: 6:08 pm PDT August 1, 2004
UPDATED: 11:21 am PDT August 3, 2004

BIG BEAR LAKE, Calif. -- More than 100 rescuers continue to search for a missing 9-year-old boy Tuesday.

Don Welch with the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department told NBC4 he is hopeful David Gonzales is alive and will be fine.

Welch said the boy's prognosis is good since both the weather and the boy's age are on his side.

Welch added that search and rescue teams will search indefinitely... 24 hours a day for many days until the boy is found.

NBC4 learned that fresh tracks have been discovered, and witnesses claim to have seen the boy walking alone away from his parents.

Earlier in the week, authorities said they were interested in talking to the driver of a vehicle that left the area about the time David Gonzales disappeared Saturday morning, but there was no evidence of an abduction.

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/3604213/detail.html

CaliKid
08-04-2004, 03:02 AM
I hope with all my heart that this is just a case of a little boy getting lost. I have a 9 year old and 8 year old, and I can't imagine them lost in the mountains. Fortunately, our temperatures have been very mild the past couple of days. I'm praying they find little David soon.

http://www.thesandiegochannel.com/news/3611763/detail.html?treets=sand&tml=sand_4pm&ts=T&tmi=sand_4pm_1_06000108032004

FULCRUM
08-04-2004, 09:30 AM
Missing boy may have walked alone

LOST: Sheriff's find what they think are footprints from the 9-year-old.

01:27 AM PDT on Wednesday, August 4, 2004

FAWNSKIN - Footprints that may have been left by David Gonzales' Nike shoes and a possible sighting have surfaced as the only clues sheriff's officials have in the search for a 9-year-old who has been missing for four days, officials said Tuesday.

Tracks that are believed to be David's were found one mile north of the Hanna Flat campground. David was camping with his family and two others when he disappeared Saturday morning. Tracks that were found Monday were determined not to be David's, said sheriff's spokeswoman Cindy Beavers.

Witnesses told deputies that they saw the boy walking northwest on one of the campground's roads, Beavers said. They confirmed the sighting with a photograph. The witnesses, who weren't identified, said the 9-year-old was walking alone.

http://www.pe.com/breakingnews/local/stories/PE_News_Local_lost04.585bd.html

FULCRUM
08-04-2004, 09:34 AM
Can they use volunteer searchers for something like this, or in rugged terrain do they leave it to the experts?

I am on vacation the next couple days and live about 1-2 hours away and would love to help, but don't know how or who to contact. My gut feeling is they use trained search and rescue teams.

Anybody know or have any ideas?

Love_Mama
08-04-2004, 10:41 AM
This young boy is my prayers.........that he be found alive.
Very sad,

xxxxxxxxxoooooo
mama

blueclouds
08-04-2004, 12:10 PM
More info that the boy still may be alive. Poor little man. Police found some clues to indicate he's alive.

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20040804_471.html

JBean
08-04-2004, 01:21 PM
I was in Big Bear yesterday. The whole town is looking for him, police and newstrucks all over. I found myself looking for him everywhere i went. It is so-o sad.

JBean
08-04-2004, 01:22 PM
Can they use volunteer searchers for something like this, or in rugged terrain do they leave it to the experts?

I am on vacation the next couple days and live about 1-2 hours away and would love to help, but don't know how or who to contact. My gut feeling is they use trained search and rescue teams.

Anybody know or have any ideas?
All I can tell you from being up there yesterday is that they have command post set up and the whole town is on high alert. I think they are using trained personnel.

FULCRUM
08-04-2004, 11:14 PM
Do you remember another missing boy from Big Bear. (I'm not sure this is the right place to post this).

It was maybe 10 years ago, he was about 9 or 10. Was hiking with his boy scout troup I think. When they got back to the parking lot and did a head count they were one short. Searched and searched for days for him. They found his camera and developed the pictures. He had taken pics of himself (that they published at least). They may have found some slide type marks in a ravine, but I don't think they ever found him. I've often thought about him and what happened. I think I read somewhere that there were alot of pot growers up in the area, and they possibly had something to do with it. Does anyone remember this case and have any further details so I could research further?

Jeana (DP)
08-05-2004, 09:29 AM
I was hoping to get here this morning to some good news, but I see not. You know, if they can install small devices in cars to find them when they're stolen, why can't they have something that you can put inside a sneaker or something like that, so when you're in a large area with children, they can be found. With technology what it is today, this is a damn shame.

FULCRUM
08-05-2004, 10:41 AM
I found this in Newslibrary's archieves

Daily News of Los Angeles (CA) - August 5, 1991

SEARCH FOR SCOUT CUT BACK, OFFICIALS SHUT DOWN FIELD HEADQUARTERS
Searchers looking for a missing 12-year-old Boy Scout scaled back their efforts Sunday, 16 days after the El Monte youth vanished while hiking with his Scout troop in the wilderness of San Bernardino County. Efforts to locate Jared Michael Negrete will continue with aerial searches and foot patrols several times a week, but county officials closed a mountain command post that had been the field headquarters for the search."The command staff feels as if his probability of survival...

englishleigh
08-05-2004, 10:54 AM
I pray they find David Gonzales soon, and alive!!!!

FULCRUM
08-05-2004, 11:18 AM
http://www.micro-mono.com/microplb/boyscout.pdf

peggy
08-05-2004, 12:40 PM
Latest I heard this morning is that one searcher heard a voice calling "daddy" so they are expanding search now, footprint clue turned out to not be productive, but the voice is very good - hope they find him today...

amandab
08-05-2004, 01:13 PM
Latest I heard this morning is that one searcher heard a voice calling "daddy" so they are expanding search now, footprint clue turned out to not be productive, but the voice is very good - hope they find him today...

I read this story earlier in the news.....it's both encouraging and heartbreaking, knowing he's trying to be found as badly as searchers are trying to find him.

Just a question, though, from a girl who's spent very little time in the thick of the woods....how is it possible that they could hear him but not see him??

Jeana (DP)
08-05-2004, 02:41 PM
I read this story earlier in the news.....it's both encouraging and heartbreaking, knowing he's trying to be found as badly as searchers are trying to find him.

Just a question, though, from a girl who's spent very little time in the thick of the woods....how is it possible that they could hear him but not see him??

I don't know. Children should be taught, however, that if they are ever lost in the woods, they should NOT walk around. They should stay in one place. He may have walked into a place they just got finished searching and they may not go back there for some time, if ever.

peggy
08-05-2004, 09:38 PM
well, no luck today finding him, but found another set of footprints they are checking out, going to search through the night now - authorities seem convinced he wandered away and not victim of foul play - said he could go several days without food, but it seems awfully long now to me..

Ghostwheel
08-05-2004, 09:45 PM

Just a question, though, from a girl who's spent very little time in the thick of the woods....how is it possible that they could hear him but not see him??Sound bounces around, and if the trees are thick, you could be twenty yards away and not see them. Unless you are getting farther away, or closer, you cannot tell exactly where the voice is coming from. When we go out, our whole family wears whistles around our necks, and they don't come off until we get home. You can blow a whistle for a lot longer than you can shout, and the sound is louder. The sound still bounces around, but at least if you blow the whistles back and forth, the lost one knows someone is looking and the looker knows the lost one is still alive.

Yes, children should be taught to find a good place, then stay still and shout every so often. It is so hard to believe that a child could get lost so close to a campsite.

Jeana (DP)
08-06-2004, 02:29 PM
I am so frustrated by this missing boy's case. I can't believe they can't find this kid. If they don't get to him in time, its going to rip my heart out.

peggy
08-06-2004, 09:54 PM
nothing again today, not searching tonight, footprints didn't amount to anything - LE keeps saying no evidence of kidnapping or foul play, father keeps insisting he was kidnapped or wandered off, but tonight LE saying it was reaching a point where they were questioning his survival probabilities after so long and were going to start using cadaver dogs - other dogs have picked up no scent at all of him, which makes me wonder if he was ever at campground - would think they would have looked at father up one side and down the other though before they engaged in this massive search - very strange, and more sad...

CaliMom
08-07-2004, 12:25 AM
Let's hope this is true, but it doesn't say the dog picked his scent.....

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/3623861/detail.html

BAD_BUTTERFLY
08-07-2004, 01:37 AM
Can i ask why they wouldn't have put up a helicopter with heat seeking on it, they use em on cops. but they can't use them to find a boy? If they have used them and came up with nothing, then why continue to search that are?

mom-a-licious
08-07-2004, 01:56 PM
I read in one of the articles that the truck was only 50 yards from the campsite. That's so close! I don't "get" how something could have happened between the campsite and the truck. 50 yards away is practically part OF the campsite. There's something about this whole thing that's just weird. I read that the cookies were still in the truck and the truck still locked. So, whatever happened may have happened within that 50-yard distance between the campsite and the truck, unless for some reason David chose to just keep walking past the truck, not even trying to get the cookies at all, and then decide never to come back. I'm not sure what would cause this to happen during the extremely short time it would take to walk 50 yards to the truck. Could someone have pulled up close enough to distract David from ever getting to the truck, and then abducted him? David's mom said she saw a beige truck speeding away---if something like that happened so close by, wouldn't someone maybe hear a vehicle pulling up nearby, a door slam, a voice calling out to David to lure him over to the vehicle? Something? Other people were camping at that same campgrounds at that time. Did anyone else hear a truck speed away? I'd also read that it was confirmed with a photograph that David was seen walking alone on a road somewhere else near the campground? Never heard anything else about this...had it been confirmed that the photo, if it is of David, was taken later the same day he was missing? Why would any 9 year old, hungry and heading for some cookies 50 yards away, suddenly just keep on walking and never come back?

Steely
08-07-2004, 06:00 PM
...Why would any 9 year old, hungry and heading for some cookies 50 yards away, suddenly just keep on walking and never come back?

Exactly, Mom-a-licious! If he was going to wander off or was mad and wanted to run away he'd get the cookies first! Kids that age seem to be hungry all the time. I sure hope they are really pursuing the truck angle too. And after that many days, I can't believe he'd be hiding because he was worried he'd be in trouble for wandering off. Please, let him be found safe!

peggy
08-08-2004, 09:30 PM
Search called off about 3pm this afternoon - said absolutely no clues or traces of him -- so sad

mom-a-licious
08-09-2004, 01:47 AM
I'm not sure why this case has me so frustrated :mad:! Something's not right here...I'm not surprised they've called off the search, but I hope LE is still investigating this...50 yards from the campsite to the truck. 9 yr old going to get cookies and never getting them or even unlocking the truck. Lots of food at the campsite (I'm assuming---reported that he was hungry for cookies at 8AM while breakfast already being prepared in campsite---why not just give child something that's right at hand to "hold him over?"). Crowded campgrounds, I've read--- and I think David's family was camping with another family---NO ONE saw or heard ANYTHING? David's mom says she saw a "beige truck" speeding away. No one else in crowded camp area saw the truck? If a truck was seen speeding away, and family's campsite was only 50 yards from their own truck, did no one hear a truck pulling up? Or any sounds of a struggle? Or voices? Or a door slamming? Nothing? Animal attack just 50 yards from campsite seems unlikely---and they don't think that this is what happened anyway---but if it WAS an animal, wouldn't there be some signs of a struggle? Some sounds? Even one yell? or some blood? Expert trackers are pretty good at determining if any animals have been close to a campsite, and I haven't heard that there's been a shred of evidence that it was an animal attack. Not one sign of the boy since he disappeared---none of the possible clues turned out to be anything. What about the reports that he was seen walking alone near the campgrounds later the same day he was reported missing? Why would he be? Has it been absolutely determined that he was at the campgrounds with the family to begin with? I know this may sound harsh and suspicious but the kid wasn't on a hike and got separated, no animals that close to campsite, no one else heard or saw any signs of trucks or abduction as far as I've read. He just had to walk 50 yards from a family campsite in a crowded campground.... :banghead:

englishleigh
08-09-2004, 09:32 AM
I'm not sure why this case has me so frustrated :mad:! Something's not right here...I'm not surprised they've called off the search, but I hope LE is still investigating this...50 yards from the campsite to the truck. 9 yr old going to get cookies and never getting them or even unlocking the truck. Lots of food at the campsite (I'm assuming---reported that he was hungry for cookies at 8AM while breakfast already being prepared in campsite---why not just give child something that's right at hand to "hold him over?"). Crowded campgrounds, I've read--- and I think David's family was camping with another family---NO ONE saw or heard ANYTHING? David's mom says she saw a "beige truck" speeding away. No one else in crowded camp area saw the truck? If a truck was seen speeding away, and family's campsite was only 50 yards from their own truck, did no one hear a truck pulling up? Or any sounds of a struggle? Or voices? Or a door slamming? Nothing? Animal attack just 50 yards from campsite seems unlikely---and they don't think that this is what happened anyway---but if it WAS an animal, wouldn't there be some signs of a struggle? Some sounds? Even one yell? or some blood? Expert trackers are pretty good at determining if any animals have been close to a campsite, and I haven't heard that there's been a shred of evidence that it was an animal attack. Not one sign of the boy since he disappeared---none of the possible clues turned out to be anything. What about the reports that he was seen walking alone near the campgrounds later the same day he was reported missing? Why would he be? Has it been absolutely determined that he was at the campgrounds with the family to begin with? I know this may sound harsh and suspicious but the kid wasn't on a hike and got separated, no animals that close to campsite, no one else heard or saw any signs of trucks or abduction as far as I've read. He just had to walk 50 yards from a family campsite in a crowded campground.... :banghead:

I agree...I'm beginning to think he went off with someone he knew...one of those people who were camping with his family, maybe?? You never know about people and what they are capable of sometimes until it's too late.

peggy
08-12-2004, 10:58 PM
PI from San Diego, Bill Garcia, saying he is not investigating David's disapearance - has campsite set up where family did and going to search all areas nearby until Saturday, said family had given him more information. He doesn't think he is alive but leaning toward abduction as family is - said known sex offenders near area - authorities and searchers don't think he will come up with anything.

harleysnana
08-14-2004, 03:47 PM
Is there anything new on this little boy?

peggy
08-14-2004, 08:00 PM
Is there anything new on this little boy?
I haven't heard anything since part of Garcia searching, nothing on local TV about his results, so guess nothing came from that - this is one of the strangest missing person cases I have seen.

miimaa
08-17-2004, 09:56 AM
It's just killing me that they have stopped searching for this boy. What if he did get lost in the woods? I can't get the visual out of my head of this little boy wandering around alone and scared. If he was taken by someone how come no one else heard or saw the tan truck? Were the keys ever found? Something seems weird here. WHY would he wander into the woods without the cookies if wanted them so bad? It seems he never reached the family pickup to even get the cookies. So something happened in the 50 yards from the campsite to the pickup? And other people were in the campground too? I wonder if anyone else in the campground saw this boy at all? Something is just not right here but I don't know what it is. If that were my child though, I'd still be at the campground searching day and night until I dropped dead myself. No way would I ever go home thinking he's out there somewhere.

fourboys
08-19-2004, 10:28 AM
There is now a reward being offered, and a website
set up for David Gonzales:

Reward offered in case of missing Lake Elsinore boy
August 19 2004

A $5,000 reward is being offered for the safe return of a 9-year-old Lake Elsinore boy who has been missing from near Big Bear Lake since July 31.

A Web site with information about David's case has also been created at http://www.davidgonzales.org (http://www.davidgonzales.org/)

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/200...9_588_18_04.txt (http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2004/08/19/news/californian/20_29_588_18_04.txt)

Lavengather
09-05-2004, 03:33 PM
Please see and share this site for missing 9year old boy David Gonzales. Missing since 7-31-04 from a popular family camp ground near
Big Bear Lake, CA.
WEBSITE http://www.davidgonzales.org/ (http://www.davidgonzales.org/)

We are asking that people send emails to us at info@davidgonzales.org that we will forward to the local media and authorities in this area asking that this case be brought more vocal media attention and follow up.
Public statements need to be made stressing the importance finding the missing keys that David carried and or his clothing.
This, in order to alert the thousands of families who come here every weekend to hike, camp, bike and 4 wheel.
People need to be informed not only to alert them to any potential findings related to David, but to help protect children.
Until we know how a child could just vanish without a trace
parents deserve to be agressively and thoroughly informed.
Please see the site for details.
Despite lack of findings in the campground area search and other public info that may indicate otherwise, the possibility of abduction has been consistenly downplayed in this area.
Unfortunately, this has affected the task of alerting the public with pertinent public information that could solicit clues.
Tourism should never dictate the safety of children.

gardenmom
09-05-2004, 09:07 PM
I hope he is found. I will do that e-mail for you. I haven't heard about this. Good luck.

Lavengather
09-06-2004, 11:36 AM
Please see and share this site http://www.davidgonzales.org/

If you would like to help, we are asking people to send emails asking that the local media and authorities
Please issue a series of public statements making a plea for the public's help in finding items such as the keys and clothing related to David. This could help generate some clues as to what may have happened to this little boy.

You may send your emails to info@davidgonzales.org
we will forward them.
Thank You.

Lavengather
09-14-2004, 05:06 PM
We need your help to find out what happened to David please send us emails at info@davidgonzales.org (info@davidgonzales.org) we will forward these emails to the appropriate authorities and media. Please ask that the following actions be taken or put an email in your own words.
Thank You, info@davidgonzales.org (info@davidgonzales.org)
Example:
Please focus more attention on the case of the missing boy David Gonzales.
We would like to ask that you make a series of public statements
1. Asking for the public's help in finding the missing keys that David carried and the clothing that he wore at the time of his disappearance.
We ask...
2. That an extensive road search be done to help find anything that may indicate what may have happened to David. Somewhere in the area, there is a clue.
We are pleading for your help to find out what may have happened to David not only for the family to find closure but for the protection of all children in the area.
Until something is found to indicate otherwise this case points to abduction, and children are at risk.
Please respond.

file:///C:/DOCUME~1/Owner/LOCALS~1/Temp/199.jpg (http://photos.msn.com/Viewing/Album.aspx?PST=8nK2AN1B!1JkYezkeWQp2X*TNZY5oBr0cf1 kDegOnkkoYYkm9isR9Ke28i9JJQZqHMvS2kO9gC2MkV*dOvM5p w%24%24)

Help Find David

http://www.davidgonzales.org (http://www.davidgonzales.org/)

WasBlind
10-09-2004, 11:30 PM
Crime Library has added David's profile to their web site.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/missing_children/david_gonzales.html

Prayers for David, and all who love and miss him.

With HOPE, Lanie
Help For The Missing
HelpForTheMissing@yahoo.com

WasBlind
12-11-2004, 02:45 PM
Any news on David?

With prayers of HOPE, Lanie

CaliKid
03-21-2005, 07:28 PM
I live about 50 miles southwest of Big Bear. There's been no news locally on David at all. Unfortunately, the southern California mountains are fairly rugged with a lot of rocks and deep canyons For all intents and purposes, he simply disappeared.

peggy
05-31-2005, 02:58 AM
Skull and other bones discovered in San Bernardino Park area where David Gonzales (9 yr old) disappeared last July - cat marks also nearby so now in process of positively identifying remains as well as possibility animal attacked him.
http://davidgonzales.org/

lady-eowyn
05-31-2005, 06:00 AM
Reading at the site was so sad....he was just going to get some cookies:( and the picture of his father with his toy accordian made me cry...bless this family.

More here http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-skull31may31,1,4221881.story?coll=la-headlines-california

Longer article here:

http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_D_skull31.20f3f9.html

login: carryon@yahoo.com
password: baggage

lisag
05-31-2005, 09:48 AM
This poor little guy.. I hope his family finally gets some answers.

jodierenee
05-31-2005, 09:55 AM
cat marks...so are they thinking a mountain lion or something of that sort?

i don't know which would be worse...being attacked by an animal, or abducted
:(

sounds like the animal theory is plausible. He was very small for his age. Also, it makes sense that he wandered off to "investigate" something and got lost and attacked by an animal.

also, there are two other boys that disappeared from the same campground..it could be either of them as well.

KatherineQ
05-31-2005, 10:11 AM
I remember when this happened - if this is David Gonzales, it's kind of baffling they didn't find his remains during the search. Do ya'll remember it? Days and days and days of searching with dogs and human volunteers for any trace - it seems like they should have been able to smell his decaying body at the very least.

Richard
05-31-2005, 10:14 AM
Something just does not sound right in the limited information available. If a mountain cat had actually attacked and killed this little boy, the bones would be well gnawed and chewed up. You wouldn't just find "cat marks" nearby a year later which you could use as evidence that a cat attacked him. While it is certainly POSSIBLE that a cougar could kill a small boy, it is more likely that some other scenario is the correct one. If a cat is going to carry its prey a long way from the kill scene, it is going to be pretty thorough in disposing of it.

peggy
05-31-2005, 10:15 AM
This morning, on local TV, saying may be several days before official identification can be made. Skull had some teeth so will be comparing that with dental records. Some woman involved or in charge of original search (9 days) insisted they did search the area where remains were found and suggested that "bones" may have been buried which is why they didn't locate anything. Wouldn't have been bones at that early date, so just don't think they searched that carefully. Originally they ruled out he had wandered away and no animal attack possibility, leaning toward abduction. Just so sad.

kimberdawn
05-31-2005, 01:24 PM
also, there are two other boys that disappeared from the same campground..it could be either of them as well.
Who are the othe boys & when did they disappear? Thanks

lisag
05-31-2005, 01:27 PM
Who are the othe boys & when did they disappear? Thanks

Since 1991, at least two other boys were not found after going missing in the San Bernardino Mountains. In 1991, Jared Negrete, 12, never returned after hiking in the San Bernardino National Forest with his Boy Scout troop. Jack "J.D." Phillips was 9 in 1995 when he walked to a park to meet friends during the Old Miner's Day in Big Bear Lake and vanished.

http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/...l31.20f3f9.html

kimberdawn
05-31-2005, 05:30 PM
lisag, Thank you :)

SewingDeb
05-31-2005, 09:37 PM
I remember when this happened - if this is David Gonzales, it's kind of baffling they didn't find his remains during the search. Do ya'll remember it? Days and days and days of searching with dogs and human volunteers for any trace - it seems like they should have been able to smell his decaying body at the very least.

Yes, 9 days of searching. That crossed my mind, too. Do you think someone brought his body there after the search was discontinued?

Sheromom
05-31-2005, 09:50 PM
One of the things they want the big cat expert is to examine the bones. http://www.dailybulletin.com/Stories/0,1413,203~21481~2896268,00.html
I think they must see something on the bones that make them suspect it was an animal killing. The parents are still in denial. What a sad case.:(

CaliKid
06-02-2005, 02:55 AM
Are cougars scavengers? I'm wondering if he could've been killed and buried and a cougar dug up his body or skeleton?

Pharlap
06-02-2005, 04:36 AM
Found the remains not to far from where the family was staying.....

Sounds like the boy was close enough if he could of screamed the parents would of been able to hear him....

Real strange case.........

peggy
06-02-2005, 07:25 AM
Another strange thing is that they never located the car keys he was carrying on his way to car to get cookies. Thought that maybe someone wanted the vehicle, lured him away to get keys and something happened. If they don't locate the keys near where his remains (if it is him) opens up lot more questions.

cynder
06-02-2005, 11:17 AM
If it really was a big Mountain Lion he probably was killed before he had time to scream. Chances are he was ambushed from above. Depending on the circumstances they may find the keys in the area, and may not - sounds like a streambed area - the keys could be buried under a foot or more of gravel by now.
Mountain Lions can weigh as much as 220 lbs and are 6+ feet long (without tail). They kill quickly, silently and without warning - sneaking to within about 5 yards of its prey and jumping the prey, instantly breaking its neck with a powerful bite below the base of the skull. The cat is a stealthy climber and often drops from limbs to sneak-attack the victim. They can jump 45 feet and leap up to 15 feet high. The mountain lion drags its prey to a safe place before eating. The claws usually do not leave prints because, like the housecat, they have retractable claws. They can take animals as large as horses - a smaller child like David (3'10" tall and weighing only 52 lbs) would be nothing.
Mountain Lions do not normally scavenge - as the top predator in most of their range they do not find kills by other animals often. Chances are if a Mountain Lion buried the body, s/he killed him. This is likely why the child was never found - if he had been killed by someone/something else his body would have been located before a M-Lion wandered onto it and stashed it.
Go to a zoo and sit down in front of any display containing a large cat. Wait for a family with a toddler or small child running loose to come along and watch the reaction of the cats. The child gets immediate attention. Why? Kids scream shrill and run in erratic patterns and are unsteady at times and sometimes fall or make big gestures. To the cat they look and sound like injured, young or ill animals - easy prey.

rosario_c
06-02-2005, 02:30 PM
On our local news channel here in So. California, they had mentioned that the site where the skull was found had been searched and tagged several times and the tags are still visible. Sounds suspicious....

My husband and two sons were camping in Fawnskin where this took place at the Holcomb Valley Boy Scout Ranch. He went missing the same morning that my guys left their camp. I met them at a Carl's Jr in Big Bear and there were already sheriffs and search and rescue temas there. It was just so sad. A couple of months later I had to go to Big Bear for football and as I headed home there were Seach and rescue temas searching this big marshy area (which used to be part of the north east side of the lake during the drought) So they did search a lot for David. such a sad case, I hope there is closure for the family. I couldn't imagine going home from the campout without my son.....

Sheromom: did you get my post that I have family on Whidbey? :-)

cynder
06-02-2005, 03:44 PM
On our local news channel here in So. California, they had mentioned that the site where the skull was found had been searched and tagged several times and the tags are still visible. Sounds suspicious....
Mountain Lions are known for taking their kills to a secluded area - and gruesome as it sounds, up into trees as well. They also bury their kills and cover the area well so they can come back to it later.
It sounds like to me after what I read that some of the bones were found sort of "washed out" from under a large rocky outcropping with large boulders etc. This would not have been a logical area for extensive searching as it would have been open and totally visible - no place for a child to hide and not a logical or easy place for a PERSON to have buried or hidden a body - and the family had been to this area the day before so dogs would have been of little help - the child's scent would have already been in the area.
The experts are surmising that the ML buried the child under the rocks at some point and the rains this spring washed out the remaining bones. If it was a ML kill, it doesn't surprise me that the searchers didn't find the body - I think they were of a mind-set that the child had wandered off and had gotten lost/hurt or had been taken by a person. I doubt they were looking for signs that a ML had buried the body under some boulders or had hoisted it into a tree or left it in a secluded and visibly undisturbed and unreachable (by humans) area. And there would have been no blood trail or evidence on the ground to speak of either. It isn't like TV - think housecat - they can kill without spilling a drop of blood anywhere. One bite on the back of the neck and it's over. Especially with all of the searchers tromping thru the area for days the ML may have taken the body somewhere else 1st and then returned later to bury it in the boulders. It would be nothing for a big cat to carry 50 lbs for a mile or more and into some very inhospitable and seemingly unreachable areas.

fourboys
06-02-2005, 06:53 PM
Thursday, June 2, 2005
By ELENA ARNOLD / The Press-Enterprise

Authorities today announced that the child's remains found last weekend in the San Bernardino National Forest are those of 9-year-old David Gonzalez, who disappeared from a Big Bear area campground almost a year ago.

The identification, made through dental records, is a bittersweet relief for David's family, who has spent more than 300 days wondering if their lost little boy was cold, lonely or even still alive.

"I know where is David now," said his father, Jose Gonzalez. "He is in heaven."

The circumstances of David's death remain a mystery.

"We have a lot of unanswered questions," said Chip Patterson, San Bernardino County Sheriff's spokesman.

A forensic pathologist and anthropologist will examine the bones Friday in an attempt to determine what happened to the boy.

Speculation has ranged from abduction by a sexual predator to a mountain lion attack, with few clues to sway investigators towards either theory.

For nine days after David disappeared, search-and-rescue volunteers, expert trackers and concerned citizens combed the forest looking for him. Helicopters and tracking dogs were also used in the search.

"It was one of the biggest search-and-rescue operations I've ever experienced," said Patterson. "On the next-to-the-last day, we had more than 200 people out there."

The search, however, yielded nothing - not a shoe, not a piece of clothing, not a sign of struggle.

"It was very frustrating. Throughout the search and rescue, we didn't find anything to suggest what happened to David," Patterson said.

In the days following David's disappearance, detectives contacted the 37 registered sex offenders in the Big Bear area, with no success. An investigation into other sex offenders in San Bernardino County who had been convicted of abducting children of a similar age and type also yielded nothing.

Officials hope the bones will provide some clue. About 25 percent of the skeleton, including the skull, some vertebrae and a long bone were recovered. Searchers also found some other non-human materials near the site, which might be related. Investigators declined to say what those materials were.

Several aspects of the find lead authorities to believe that David could have been attacked by a mountain lion.

"The condition and location of where the remains were found are consistent with a mountain lion," said Doug Updike, senior wildlife biologist for California Department of Fish and Game.

A mountain lion would attack quickly and quietly, Updike said. It would take its prey to an area similar to the ravine where the bones were found and possibly cover the victim with limbs and other vegetation.

http://www.pe.com/breakingnews/local/stories/PE_News_Local_D_davidweb.1c62c0.html

Pharlap
06-02-2005, 07:12 PM
This probably is way off.
If it was a moutain lion, they do take there prey up trees, right?
Maybe that's why no one could find the boy, he was(sorry) dead up a tree.
For the dogs not finding him, the lions scent was there, and the dogs just picked up on that scent and went on.....:waitasec:

peggy
06-02-2005, 07:22 PM
So sad, but was pretty sure it was him. Sure are leaning toward the mountain lion theory, but also said on TV they weren't ruling out foul play. More mysteries now, such as cause of death, may never be answered, hopefully so. Waiting for parents is over.

Sheromom
06-03-2005, 01:12 AM

My husband and two sons were camping in Fawnskin where this took place at the Holcomb Valley Boy Scout Ranch. He went missing the same morning that my guys left their camp. I met them at a Carl's Jr in Big Bear and there were already sheriffs and search and rescue temas there. It was just so sad. A couple of months later I had to go to Big Bear for football and as I headed home there were Seach and rescue temas searching this big marshy area (which used to be part of the north east side of the lake during the drought) So they did search a lot for David. such a sad case, I hope there is closure for the family. I couldn't imagine going home from the campout without my son.....

Sheromom: did you get my post that I have family on Whidbey? :-)
What a sad conclusion. And to recover only 25% of his skeleton.

Rosario, I LOVE it here. I was born in Wenatchee but we spent our summers here and I moved here at 18 and have stayed. I can't imagine living ANYWHERE else. Living on an island covered in forestry and surrounded by the Pacific Ocean with the mountains a hop away is my idea of paradise. Hmmm.........we might have to meet! :dance:

lady-eowyn
06-03-2005, 07:33 AM
How very sad...but I'm glad the family has closure now

rosario_c
06-03-2005, 11:58 AM
Rosario, I LOVE it here. I was born in Wenatchee but we spent our summers here and I moved here at 18 and have stayed. I can't imagine living ANYWHERE else. Living on an island covered in forestry and surrounded by the Pacific Ocean with the mountains a hop away is my idea of paradise. Hmmm.........we might have to meet! :dance:

Sheromom: Whidbey is the most beautiful place I have ever been (well, then there's Hawaii) My folks were always going to retire there until they had grandkids. I have an aunt in Clinton - you can see her house from the ferry, and a cousin in Langley. LOVED Fort Casey as a kid and took my 3 boys there and they loved it. Loved Deer Lake and Baby Island too! What town are you in? Maybe you know my relatives? PM me when ya get a chance!

May David's family find peace..... Like his father said, "He's in Heaven" and they no longer have to wonder....

Tom'sGirl
06-03-2005, 01:11 PM
Not Buying the Mountain Lion Theory!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag Doll 02
They are Davids remains. I just saw the father on TV and it brought tears to my eyes. The parents had held out hope until the end. The father had tears in his eyes as he spoke in broken English that he now knows that his son is with God in Heaven

It just made me sick yesterday when the announcement was made :(

I'm not buying the Mountain Lion theory. I live not far from the area and have friends who live up in that area.

We had too much rain up there to tie any paw prints to David after all this time.........IMO

David went missing in broad daylight with the car keys (which have not been found).

Also, if he had been attacked by a wild animal someone would have heard his screamS............JUST DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!

cynder
06-03-2005, 01:29 PM
Not Buying the Mountain Lion Theory!
We had too much rain up there to tie any paw prints to David after all this time.........IMO

David went missing in broad daylight with the car keys (which have not been found).

Also, if he had been attacked by a wild animal someone would have heard his screamS............JUST DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!
They noted paw prints only to illustrate that there was a BIG Mountain Lion in the area - they are not saying they are from the date he went missing.
Mountain Lions hunt 24 hours - especially if feeding cubs. Investigators did say there were other "items" found near the bones, they have not released what they are. Also they only have about 20% of the skeleton so the area where they found these bones is likely not the only location where there are remains. Not finding the keys does not mean it was not a Mountain Lion attack. The keys could have been in the boy's pocket and will only be found if they find the clothing he was wearing - or the rest of the remains.
Mountain lions are silent killers. If it was a Mountain Lion the poor child died instantly from a broken neck/severed spine. This is a 200 lb killing machine that can pounce from 45 feet away and has a vertical leap of 15+ feet VS. a 52lb child. It isn't like the movies - the ML waited and pounced and in seconds carried the child away. There would have been no sound, no blood and no trail left behind.
We may never know for sure, but based on the info so far I am betting it was a Mountain Lion. No person could have taken that child and hidden him in such a way that searchers and dogs could find no trace - but a Mountain Lion could - and behavior-wise it would have been natural for it to do so.

peggy
06-03-2005, 02:24 PM
Said remains found about one mile from where he was last seen, going toward family truck. What happened, wandered off, how far before he was attacked, probably not a mile, do you think? Just wondering how close animal was to him when attacked, short distance, how close would animal go toward large group of people for an attack. Wonder if LE will be able to come up with a scenario of David's movements.

Tom'sGirl
06-03-2005, 02:43 PM
Said remains found about one mile from where he was last seen, going toward family truck. What happened, wandered off, how far before he was attacked, probably not a mile, do you think? Just wondering how close animal was to him when attacked, short distance, how close would animal go toward large group of people for an attack. Wonder if LE will be able to come up with a scenario of David's movements.
Good & valid point peggy,

Clip from today's local newspaper

David was at the Hanna Flat campground with his family and members of his church on July 31 when he went to the family truck to get some cookies. He took the keys with him.

That was the last time David's family saw him alive. "What bothers me the most is we didn't have a single piece of evidence,' Kovich said. "There were no footprints. We never found the car keys he supposedly had."

http://www.sbsun.com/Stories/0,1413,208~12588~2901643,00.html (http://www.sbsun.com/Stories/0,1413,208~12588~2901643,00.html)

nvfc
06-03-2005, 10:27 PM
This is a sad day for me. Since David's disappearance during a camping trip last July I have always hoped for a happy and safe return of David to his family. Each and every case is special to someone for a different reason. I guess the reason why David became so special to me was because my wife and I were expecting our first son at the time of David's disappearance. I did not know David nor his family but since the beginning of this tragedy I have always included David. At first when I just had my blog, I placed a banner for David on it.

An excerpt from my blog four days after the birth of my son while he was still in the hospital.

Tuesday, September 21, 2004
Who is this little boy?

I am so glad my daddy came last night because I has some questions for him! Do I have a brother? If not who is this little boy that is always at the bottom of daddy' blog? Daddy told me he was another little boy that disappeared while camping with his parents in California. I hope he is okay because that is a lot of time for a little boy to be all alone. My daddy must be a good man to care like that so I told him to keep his picture there and I would say a little prayer to protect all the children of the world.

There are many unanswered questions with this case, I do not believe David was abducted as there was little evidence to support this. A mountain lion makes more sense to me although David's own father does not think so because there was no scream.

Since day one with the birth of the 'National Voice For Children' web site (http://nvfc.us/) David has graced our pages. David may you be one of God's greatest angels and always watch over our child from above.

KatherineQ
06-03-2005, 11:40 PM
NVFC - I remember when each of my three kids were born, news stories really hit me hard. So I bet all parents get your attachment to David Gonzales - bless you for caring.

Your blog was interesting to me - it's like, 4th person - you're talking through your infant and calling yourself a good man, and "daddy". In the fourth person, like through a puppet. The reason this struck me especially is there's a missing child in my town (Austin Texas) who was abducted by her noncustodial mother. The child has since been seen several times and is alive and well, but what struck me the father who is searching for her talking in the 4th person. He had this whole website, "daddy this" and "daddy that", made up quotes by his preschooler.

I think this is maybe something guys do. They attribute feelings to infants or preschoolers, rather than themselves. I feel kind of bad about not distributing this preschooler's website in my network although I was asked to, because it seemed like the custodial father was so odd.

monkalup
06-03-2005, 11:54 PM
This is a sad day for me. Since David's disappearance during a camping trip last July I have always hoped for a happy and safe return of David to his family. Each and every case is special to someone for a different reason. I guess the reason why David became so special to me was because my wife and I were expecting our first son at the time of David's disappearance. I did not know David nor his family but since the beginning of this tragedy I have always included David. At first when I just had my blog, I placed a banner for David on it.

An excerpt from my blog four days after the birth of my son while he was still in the hospital.

Tuesday, September 21, 2004
Who is this little boy?

I am so glad my daddy came last night because I has some questions for him! Do I have a brother? If not who is this little boy that is always at the bottom of daddy' blog? Daddy told me he was another little boy that disappeared while camping with his parents in California. I hope he is okay because that is a lot of time for a little boy to be all alone. My daddy must be a good man to care like that so I told him to keep his picture there and I would say a little prayer to protect all the children of the world.

There are many unanswered questions with this case, I do not believe David was abducted as there was little evidence to support this. A mountain lion makes more sense to me although David's own father does not think so because there was no scream.

Since day one on with the birth of the 'National Voice For Children' web site (http://nvfc.us/) David has graced our pages. David may you be one of God's greatest angels and always watch over our child from above.

Rest in peace, sweet boy

nvfc
06-04-2005, 09:56 AM
@KatherineQ

I often times do write from what I image would be my son's point of view. You noticed the backhanded compliment, I did also but this was unedited from last summer.

David you will always be in my prayers!

KatherineQ
06-04-2005, 11:19 AM
I'm sorry, NVFC, when I reread my post it sounds very rude. I was just really musing mostly, this is the exact style of that other website and it struck me, similarity in style.

nvfc
06-04-2005, 11:45 AM
@KatherineQ

It was not rude and I did not take it that way, I realized just how it sounded myself when I read it but I wanted it to remain pure so I did not edit. That except was four days after my son was born so maybe I was trying to pat myself on the back.

Tom'sGirl
06-04-2005, 02:38 PM
Forensic experts met Friday morning in San Bernardino in hopes a diligent examination of David Gonzalez's remains would bring answers to a devastated family.

CLIP:Hikers found a partial skull near a creek bed about a mile southwest of the Hanna Flat campground, where 9-year-old David and his family had camped before he disappeared on July 31.

After Sunday's discovery, Van Norman and a convoy of sheriff's officials revisited the site and collected more bones amassing about 20 percent of a skeleton. The remains were identified as David's on Wednesday. Now, officials are trying to determine a cause of death.

CLIP:

Experts are considering three primary scenarios:

David wandered away and succumbed to exposure.

David wandered away and was attacked by an animal. David was abducted and killed.

source: http://www.sbsun.com/Stories/0,1413,208~12588~2903405,00.html (http://www.sbsun.com/Stories/0,1413,208~12588~2903405,00.html)

peggy
06-04-2005, 03:00 PM
IOW, they don't have a clue what happened to him. Going back to when he left eyesight of parents, with keys in his hand, to get cookies, someone had to have seen something during that 3 minute walk, but if they haven't come forward by now, won't at this time. At the beginning wondered about that part, did he actually have keys heading for truck. Something just too fishy about this whole, terribly sad story for the adorable boy. Maybe they will come up with some answers, but probably be just a guess, no better than ones we could come up with ourselves. I lean toward a homicide.

Tom'sGirl
06-04-2005, 04:24 PM
IOW, they don't have a clue what happened to him. Going back to when he left eyesight of parents, with keys in his hand, to get cookies, someone had to have seen something during that 3 minute walk, but if they haven't come forward by now, won't at this time. At the beginning wondered about that part, did he actually have keys heading for truck. Something just too fishy about this whole, terribly sad story for the adorable boy. Maybe they will come up with some answers, but probably be just a guess, no better than ones we could come up with ourselves. I lean toward a homicide.http://www.mercurynews.com/images/common/spacer.gif

I just found this: Posted on Fri, Jun. 03, 2005
_krdDartInc++;document.write('');[/url] http://www.mercurynews.com/images/common/spacer.gif
Mountain lion attack not likely in boy's death, official says

http://www.mercurynews.com/images/common/spacer.gif
Associated Press
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. - A wildlife forensic specialist said Friday it is unlikely a mountain lion killed a 9-year-old boy whose remains were found over the weekend in the San Bernardino Mountains.

James Banks of the California Department of Fish and Game examined the remains of David Gonzales on Friday and said there weren't any marks left on the child's skull or vertebrae that are consistent with a mountain lion attack.

Entire source:

[url="http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/states/california/northern_california/11810466.htm"]http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/states/california/northern_california/11810466.htm (http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/mercurynews.news/northern_california;kw=center6;c2=local;c3=states; c4=california;c5=northern_california;c6=northern_c alifornia_homepage;pos=center6;group=rectangle;ord =1117915605894?)

http://www.mercurynews.com/images/common/spacer.gif
(http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/states/california/northern_california/11810466.htm)

Tom'sGirl
06-04-2005, 04:59 PM
DISAPPEARANCE: Wildlife experts studying the boy's remains say scavenging animals made the marks.

11:20 PM PDT on Friday, June 3, 2005

SAN BERNARDINO - A forensic examination of a 9-year-old boy's skeletal remains showed no evidence that a mountain lion or other wild animal killed the youngster, three California Department of Fish and Game experts said Friday.
"I didn't see anything that implicated a mountain lion," said Douglas Updike, the same expert who had raised the notion of a lion attack at a Thursday news conference about the remains of David Gonzalez.

Updike said he changed his mind after observing Friday's detailed medical examination of the remains, which was performed at the San Bernardino County coroner's office. Two other Fish and Game Department forensic experts said they noticed evidence of animal scavenging that occurred after the boy's death but no signs that animals caused the death.

Officials of the recently combined sheriff's and coroner's offices remained mum on the subject.

"No preliminary information will be disseminated prior to the release of the (official) autopsy protocol, which they're saying will probably take weeks," said sheriff's spokeswoman Robin Haynal.

But, she said, searchers plan to comb the area again June 10 through 12 to look for additional remains, clothing and other clues.

Scanty Evidence

Portions of the Lake Elsinore boy's skull and skeleton were found Sunday and Monday almost a mile from the Big Bear campsite where he disappeared during a family outing 10 months ago.

If the boy was not killed by a mountain lion or other animal, at least the two other likely possibilities that sheriff's officials have mentioned and investigated remain: an abduction-homicide, or young David became lost and died of exposure or injury even as an army of searchers looked for him.

David disappeared from the Hanna Flat Campground on July 31 after he asked his mother for the keys to the truck so he could retrieve some cookies. He apparently never reached the truck because investigators found the cookies still inside it and the keys remain missing.

The nine-day search for the boy involved as many as 200 people and ended without a trace.

The recovered remains comprise about 25 percent of the boy's skeleton.

A lion attack was suspected because a mountain lion was seen in the area about the time the boy disappeared.

"Hounds were able to track lion scent through the camp ... and there could have been anywhere from two to five (lions) in a region like that," Updike said.

But after viewing the skeletal remains, Updike said he was ready to abandon the theory.

"I didn't see any evidence today that amounts to a smoking tooth hole," he said. "The animal typically jumps on the prey's back and holds on (with its claws) while biting at the base of the skull. These are full-strength bites that typically leave marks or punctures through the skull or crush part of the vertebrae."

The boy's bones showed some less extensive bite marks, he said, that appear to have occurred during scavenging, possibly by a coyote.

"Coyotes will hunt in packs, and multiple (coyotes) certainly could ... take down a child," Updike acknowledged. "But they don't have a behavior of covering their prey. If it had been a coyote (that killed the boy), I think that the searchers would have found the body."

Forensic Opinions

Jim Banks and Jeff Rodzen have investigated about 11 attacks by mountain lions in California, one in Colorado and three in Canada during the past dozen years.

Both men are forensic experts with the California Department of Fish and Game, and both attended Friday's autopsy.

Most informative, they agreed, was the condition of the broken skull and a section of the upper backbone.

"In most lion attacks that we've seen, there would have been punctures or crushing," Banks said. "And that is not the case here."

Instead, he said, the broken skull had four puncture wounds, all made from the inside out, which is evidence that the bites were inflicted after death.

So the only wounds on the remains, the men say, were made by animals that scavenged rather than killed.

"It may have been from a very young mountain lion," Banks said of one set of punctures. The other set he attributed to a coyote.

The only additional signs of animal activity, said Banks, were scratches on an arm bone that appear to have been caused by rodents.

So far, the men say, the evidence is far too sketchy to say what killed the boy. Perhaps the best chance of solving the mystery, they said, will come when the Sheriff's Department launches the next search effort, tentatively set for next weekend.

"If they can find some clothing that belonged to the young boy, maybe we can find some hair on the clothing that shows a wild animal attacked the boy," Banks said. "But at this point, we have found nothing to indicate that it was a wild animal."

http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_D_cats04.581e4.html (http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_D_cats04.581e4.html)

CaliKid
06-06-2005, 04:41 AM
This is so sad. When I heard a skeleton was found, I was pretty sure it was David's. I hope LE finds more clues when they search the area and can determine, even at this late date, what killed the precious boy.

lisag
06-06-2005, 08:34 AM
It is sad to think, that due to the minimal amount of remains found, that they may never be able to determine a cause of death. May this little boy rest in peace.

rosario_c
06-06-2005, 06:32 PM
I'm really not sure what kinds of evidence they can find? We had tons of rain this year. The back road from Big Bear to Lucerne Valley was washed out - we had TONS of rain. I hear Big Bear Lake is full and no worry of drought now. (i'm only 45 min. away)
I would think any evidence would have been washed away with the rain and mud.

lisag
06-07-2005, 08:29 AM
I am assuming you are referring to missing Sabrina Allen but I don't see any text written like that on http://findsabrina.org/ . This is the official Sabrina Allen web site maintained by her father Greg.

Perhaps you are referring to a different missing child.

Thats the first person I thought of too... I have been to Sabrina's webiste several times, hoping for updates, and I never thoguht it was odd..

lady-eowyn
06-07-2005, 08:49 AM
My prayers for the family of David Gonzales...this one did touch my heart as all of them do

RCOOKE
06-07-2005, 11:32 AM
You are correct nfvc. I removed my post. My thoughts and prayers go out to David's friends and family.

I welcome Katherine to post any comments about Sabrina Allen on her thread here. This thread is dedicated to David Gonzales.

HollywoodBound
06-07-2005, 04:32 PM
I read that the area he was found was clearly searched and he was not there when it was searched. Sounds like he was brought back there some time later. One helpful clue would be to find where the car keys are now. I didn't buy the mountain lion story at first either. Sounds like he was taken by a human and returned to the vicinity of the original crime (kidnapping) IMO.

gardenmom
06-07-2005, 08:44 PM
I read that the area he was found was clearly searched and he was not there when it was searched. Sounds like he was brought back there some time later. One helpful clue would be to find where the car keys are now. I didn't buy the mountain lion story at first either. Sounds like he was taken by a human and returned to the vicinity of the original crime (kidnapping) IMO.
Could be that where ever the rest of his bones are is the original site and what was found was brought there by animals.

Tom'sGirl
06-07-2005, 09:09 PM
I'm really not sure what kinds of evidence they can find? We had tons of rain this year. The back road from Big Bear to Lucerne Valley was washed out - we had TONS of rain. I hear Big Bear Lake is full and no worry of drought now. (i'm only 45 min. away)
I would think any evidence would have been washed away with the rain and mud.

I agree with you Rosario, too much has been washed away since last July.

Those who live in this area would remember the horrible rain, slides and deaths we had due to the rain. I live down the hill from Big Bear and it was a terrible time.

CaliKid
06-08-2005, 02:55 AM
I was up at the lake the first of April. It is full, and the streams downhill were flowing rapidly.

CaliKid
06-08-2005, 01:46 PM
I also remember when David went missing last summer. I wondered how a child could just disappear on his way to the truck to get a package of cookies while his family camped around him. And then I thought of all the other children who disappear doing mundane, ordinary things like going to school, riding a bike or even sleeping in their own beds. David's death is a tragedy, and I pray with all my heart that if he met with foul play, the perpetrator is caught and punished.

nvfc
06-08-2005, 04:24 PM
David's death is a tragedy, and I pray with all my heart that if he met with foul play, the perpetrator is caught and punished.Yesterday 10:32 AMI agree, I hope he did not meet with foul play but if so the perp should spend life in prison without chance of release.

Lavengather
06-23-2005, 04:23 AM
Remains of David Gonzales were found in a area where he went missing, and that had been searched and researched. This is an exerpt from an article about a search team member named Jim Lyons who searched for David last August.

David's remains were found in a ravine about a mile from where he disappeared. The area was searched and authorities said search dogs even had a few hits in the area, but nothing concrete. Wildlife and search experts have said the dogs may have gotten mixed signals if a mountain lion had taken David. The scents of the lion and the boy would mix, and track dogs are trained not to follow the scent of the predator to avoid the danger. It's possible David was there all along. It's possible he wasn't.

"I've anguished over that," Lyon said "It's so reminiscent of Jared Negrette.( another boy that went missing in the area) If we missed him, it's a tragedy."

After the efforts were called off in the Negrette search near the Boy Scout camp above Angelus Oaks, Lyon got special permission to keep looking. For a month he and his team kept searching the boundless acres of wilderness. But there were no clues, no sign of Negrette.

For Lyon, he prefers to believe both boys were abducted, "because we searched and searched and searched," he said. "If an animal had attacked (David) on his way to the truck, someone would have heard a scream or there would have been a sign, don't you think?" Lyon ased.

Whether David was killed by a mountain lion or a human predator may never be known. The coroner's office is conducting DNA and other tests to attempt to determine a cause of death.

Whether it was a human or animal predator, Lyon says it probably doesn't matter to David's parents. "They've lost their son," Lyon said.

hoppyfrog
09-13-2007, 10:57 PM
From http://www.amw.com/missing_children/brief.cfm?id=31331

Remains Identified As Missing Boy

The agonizing wait for a family in Southern California whose son went missing at a campground last July is over. Officials have determined that bones found belong to nine-year-old David Gonzales.

missacorah
09-14-2007, 04:35 AM
Were the remains found in the vicinity of the campground where he went missing or somewhere different?

hoppyfrog
09-14-2007, 10:12 AM
Were the remains found in the vicinity of the campground where he went missing or somewhere different?

See post #43 in this thread http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10848&page=2&highlight=david+gonzales

Hoppy

jodierenee
09-14-2007, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the update. I always wondered what happened to this little boy. Since his remains were found about a mile away from where he went missing, chances are it was not a stranger abduction, but rather a mountain lion attack or an accident.

Does anyone know if he could have perhaps fallen and hit his head? I'm not sure how steep the landscape is there.

The sad part is that that area was searched numerous times and nothing was found. Perhaps he was abducted, and then discarded there later to throw off police.

kgeaux
09-14-2007, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the update. I always wondered what happened to this little boy. Since his remains were found about a mile away from where he went missing, chances are it was not a stranger abduction, but rather a mountain lion attack or an accident.

Does anyone know if he could have perhaps fallen and hit his head? I'm not sure how steep the landscape is there.

The sad part is that that area was searched numerous times and nothing was found. Perhaps he was abducted, and then discarded there later to throw off police.

Hundreds of people searched a ten mile radius for days, and yet they missed this child. I am horrified at how OFTEN searchers miss finding bodies.

MagicRose99
09-16-2007, 08:05 PM

The info referred to in post 43 states that he believes it was a human predator... because if a mountain lion got David, then he would have screamed... and no one heard screaming.

hoppyfrog
09-17-2007, 09:08 AM
IMO, it could have been a mountain lion. I can easily imagine a mountain lion grabbing him by the head and shaking him violently to break his neck even before he could get a scream out. Sad to think about.

Hoppy