PDA

View Full Version : Found Deceased ND - Dru Sjodin, 22, Grand Forks, 22 Nov 2003 - #1

Pages : [1] 2

Yakwoman
12-01-2003, 11:34 AM
I just listened to Sgt. Mike Hedlund on the radio. He was asking all farmers in NW Minnesota and NE North Dakota to check their land, empty buildings, fence lines and shelter belts for evidence. He also said that the community support has been tremendous. Apparently, many local businesses have provided meals for Dru's family and for the investigators. Arctic Cat even donated the use of 18 4-wheelers for the search effort. He said the Salvation Army has been very supportive by providing meals for the searchers.

The interviewer asked how there were able to rule out any connection between Dru's disappearance and the attempted abduction of a young girl from Fertile, MN. He stated that he could not give any details, but there were "circumstances" associated with the Fertile case that led them to believe they were not connected.

Let's keep praying that there will be a break in the case soon and Dru will be brought home safe.

Yakwoman

Bailey1
12-01-2003, 12:33 PM
Ok, I have not read this entire thread. But what the heck is wrong with the boyfriend NOT CALLING POLICE when she yelled "oh my god" and the cell phone went dead? Does not anyone else find this funny>? That was at 5:00p but police were only notified at 9:00pish by the roommate?

She was getting harrassing phone calls and noone was concerned when this happened?

The Father was on tv the other night and even he knew of the harrassing phone calls but thought nothing of it? I would be all over the police if that happened to my daughter. AND, the father never offered much info when he was live on TV soon after his daughter is missing? Don't these parents realize THIS IS WHEN YOU SHOULD TELL EVERYTHING AND ALL THINGS soon after one is missing..don't putz around and hmm haugh when you have national tv giving you an interview? He never offered any info on the circumstances of the harrassing calls, when, surrounding what event(s)....relationship this person was to his daughter..only that he didn't advise her to go to police.

And how does anyone know the cell call was not the same person. They can disguise the voice. Weird.

Casshew
12-01-2003, 12:38 PM
Any news on the 'fluid' in the car? or any word on security video or local business video near the parking lot?

Surely those calls to the store can be traced?

Cass...

Yakwoman
12-01-2003, 01:18 PM
Bailey1: I think you should read the entire thread and all the associated news stories before you comment further. It might answer a lot of the questions you have posed.

Actually, I believe Dru's family have shared everything they know with law enforcement and I think there are a lot details that have not been released to public in order to not conpromise the investigation.

Yakwoman

Yakwoman
12-01-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Casshew
Any news on the 'fluid' in the car? or any word on security video or local business video near the parking lot?

Cass...

Hi Casshew!

There has been absolutely nothing in the media about the results from the crime lab. Whatever they have found out, they are not releasing the info to the public. I haven't heard anything new about the security tapes, either.

Yakwoman

sasha99
12-01-2003, 04:24 PM
Does anyone know if when Dru said Oh my God if she screamed it or just said it. I have read alot of the articles on her disappearance and I don't think from what I have read that it has been clarified. I was discussing her case with my boyfriend and he said it would depend on if I screamed oh my god or just said oh my god if he would become concerned. I happen to say that statement alot. He said if I just said oh my god then he wouldn't immediately become concerned, but after some time passed and he didn't hear from me again he would become concerned. He said if I yelled Oh my God he would become concerned right away.

turbosleuthing
12-01-2003, 07:36 PM
Sasha that is a very good point. I got the impression she didn't scream "oh my god" I got the feeling it was more like she dropped her shopping bag or saw someone whom she was somewhat familiar with, someone she wasn't afraid of.

I've read reports about certain items that she bought being around the car???? so maybe that is why I thought of her dropping her shopping bag.........then someone may have offered to help her and that was that. I dunno.

Juliana
12-01-2003, 10:00 PM
My heart is really breaking for Dru and her family. Where could she be? It is so hard to imagine that no one saw her in the mall parking lot or saw anything suspicious since then. I hope that she was taken by someone who is obsessed with her and holding her somewhere, and that she finds the opportunity to escape. I don't think that is beyond reason in this situation.

mushyb
12-01-2003, 10:46 PM
CNN is reported breaking news that a suspect has been arrested...more to come

MissMisty
12-01-2003, 10:48 PM
Newsflash on Fox news! Someone is in custody for her kidnapping! More to come!
Misty

Casshew
12-01-2003, 10:50 PM
OMG.. any news on her?

Cass...

MissMisty
12-01-2003, 10:54 PM
I have a very, very bad feeling about this...:boohoo:
Misty

MissMisty
12-01-2003, 10:56 PM
Alfonso Rodriguez Jr. is the man arrested. That's really all they're saying.
Misty

mushyb
12-01-2003, 11:01 PM
A man from Crookston (sp), MN. 50 years old, no more info until tuesday morning press breifing, he was arested just after 7pm.

my heart sinks for her family, i think the chances of her being alive are very slim now. i just pray that she is ok though.

MissMisty
12-01-2003, 11:01 PM
He's 50!
No progress on Dru's whereabouts.
Misty

mushyb
12-01-2003, 11:04 PM
i know, i got goosebumps when they said his age, i really thought he would have been late 20's or early 30's.

Casshew
12-01-2003, 11:07 PM
Gawd.. nothing more until tomorrow?

I know this looks bad for Dru :(

At the very, very least though it is a good thing to have some progress... if she has been killed the family needs to know... can you imagine years of wondering and not knowing?

Kudos to LE working on this case.

Cass....

mushyb
12-01-2003, 11:12 PM
Arrest made in college student's disappearance
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Central/12/01/missing.student/index.html

MissMisty
12-01-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by mushyb
i know, i got goosebumps when they said his age, i really thought he would have been late 20's or early 30's.

Mushyb,
So did I! When I first heard about the person who wanted more of a relationship with her, I pictured someone somewhat close to her age although I'm not sure why. This is not good. :(
Misty

Juliana
12-01-2003, 11:18 PM
Seems we're not dealing with the same kind of yahoo LE we've seen in some of the recent missing person cases. In this case it seems like LE acted very quickly and is exceedingly competent.

JMO.

mushyb
12-01-2003, 11:24 PM
As soon as they said his age i thought of this quote

No suspects have been identified, but a man "with a foreign accent" had made at least one harassing phone call to Victoria's Secret, asking about Sjodin in the past two weeks, Lt. Eggebraaten said.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/7343693.htm

and i may be wrong for assuming that someone named Alfonso Rodriguez Jr. would have an accent, but i just bet it's related.

MissMisty
12-01-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Juliana
In this case it seems like LE acted very quickly and is exceedingly competent.
JMO.

Amen!
Misty

MissMisty
12-01-2003, 11:35 PM

and i may be wrong for assuming that someone named Alfonso Rodriguez Jr. would have an accent, but i just bet it's related.

I don't think you're wrong. I agree with you. It makes sense.
Thanks for all you've posted, mushyb.
Misty

IdahoMom
12-01-2003, 11:46 PM
Divers searching water nearby for Dru. So sad.

starpatch
12-01-2003, 11:56 PM
CNN is reported breaking news that a suspect has been arrested...more to come

I heard that about an hour ago on FOX....also there will be a news conference tommorrow morning.

I saw on tV the divers searching the river.

Also saw a pic of that dirty %$## **& *&^^^^,

If I was a cop I would beat him senseless
I think she is dead.

starpatch
12-01-2003, 11:58 PM
Posted on Mon, Dec. 01, 2003

Police make arrest in connection with missing UND student

Associated Press

GRAND FORKS, N.D. - A Crookston, Minn., man has been arrested and is facing a kidnapping charge in the disappearance of Dru Sjodin, police said.

Alfonso Rodriguez Jr., 50, was arrested on Monday at 7:20 p.m. in Crookston, Grand Forks police said.

Rodriguez, a Level 3 sex offender, has a history of sexual contact and attempted kidnapping with adult females, a Minnesota Department of Corrections Web site said.

Rodriguez is being held at the Tri-County Correctional Center in Crookston, police said.

Dru Sjodin, of Pequot Lakes, Minn., has been missing since Nov. 22, when she left her job at the Columbia Mall in Grand Forks.

Police said a search for Sjodin is ongoing. Police said no further information will be released until a press briefing on Tuesday morning.

The Minnesota Department of Corrections said sexual contact by Rodriguez included penetration in two instances. He also used force and a weapon in assaults. In one instance, he knew the victim. In two others, he did not previously know the victims.

Rodriguez, who is 5-4 and 159 pounds, was no longer under supervision by law enforcement, the Web site said.

Minnesota law classifies Level 3 sex offenders as those at the highest risk for re-offense. Department of Correction officials hold meetings in neighborhoods where offenders plan to live. At those meetings, information about the offender is distributed to the general public, including area of residence, a photograph and a description of the pattern of behavior in the past.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© 2003 AP Wire and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved.
http://www.grandforks.com

wwwxxyyzz
12-01-2003, 11:59 PM
I can't get onto the www.finddru.com website.
Is anyone else able to access the site?
It's never a good sign when a website gets
pulled down for a missing person. :(
I just hope it's down because they are getting
a lot of traffic or my computer is just acting up.

IdahoMom where did you hear they were
looking in the water? I haven't heard anything
about that yet. Thanks.

Oh this is all so sad.

Edited:
Sorry IdahoMom found a link at the bottom of
another post that showed
them searching the rivers. Thanks for the info.

mushyb
12-02-2003, 12:01 AM
Thanks Joyce, i figured he had to have a past of sexual offenses. sick SOB

kylie
12-02-2003, 12:03 AM
I wonder how they found him...if they got a tip or if they traced it through the cell phone. What a pig! Why do people think their sick desires should rule everything. I'd like to kill this guy right about now. I wonder if he was the stalker.

mushyb
12-02-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Kira
I can't get onto the www.finddru.com website.
Is anyone else able to access the site?
It's never a good sign when a website gets
pulled down for a missing person. :(
I just hope it's down because they are getting
a lot of traffic or my computer is just acting up.

IdahoMom where did you hear they were
looking in the water? I haven't heard anything
about that yet. Thanks.

Oh this is all so sad.

I was able to access her website earlier but the message board wouldn't work, now i can't get the site either, not good.

blueclouds
12-02-2003, 12:05 AM
here's a link with his picture

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,104530,00.html

mushyb
12-02-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by kylie
I wonder how they found him...if they got a tip or if they traced it through the cell phone. What a pig! Why do people think their sick desires should rule everything. I'd like to kill this guy right about now. I wonder if he was the stalker.

i think Crookston is about 25 miles from grand forks, i bet he stalked her.

Yakwoman
12-02-2003, 12:14 AM
Local news just reported that Rodriguez is a level 3 sex offender who was released in May after serving 23 years in prison for sexual assault.

Law enforcement would not make any additional comments "out of respect for Dru's family," but there will be a news conference tomorrow at 11:00 a.m.

Breaks my heart..........

Yakwoman

Beffie
12-02-2003, 12:15 AM
This is just so sad. I really hope she is alive and maybe locked in his basement. When I hear stories like this it just upsets me so much to think there are these sick people walking around with us. In the report they said he would most likely strike again (I do not know the exact words, but something to that affect).

My heart is just breaking for her family. :(

Yakwoman
12-02-2003, 12:18 AM
As soon as they said his age i thought of this quote

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/7343693.htm

Nope, you're not wrong. There is a large Hispanic population here, especially in the Crookston area, and they do have a distinct accent.

Yakwoman

MissMisty
12-02-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Yakwoman
Local news just reported that Rodriguez is a level 3 sex offender who was released in May after serving 23 years in prison for sexual assault.
Yakwoman

Poor Dru!! May God wrap His love around her...I fear she is most likely dead...may her soul be at rest.
:boohoo:
Misty

Kylastar
12-02-2003, 12:21 AM
Unbelievable to me that this monster has been out of prison since May and is no longer supervised. I pray for a miracle in that Dru is found alive. However, I too have seen the clips on Fox that show the divers searching in the water. Doesn't look good. This is so heartbreaking.

Yakwoman
12-02-2003, 12:21 AM
They did make the statment on local news that they were searching under a bridge on the Red Lake River. The river is frozen now, but there was open water at the time of Dru's disappearance. I have a feeling that they think she is in the river. God, I hope not. But I don't think she's being held in this guy's basement. He lived with his mother since his release from prison in May. I'm sure the police have torn that house apart by now.

starpatch
12-02-2003, 12:22 AM
Police arrest Minnesota man in disappearance of North Dakota missing college student

The Associated Press
University of North Dakota student Dru Sjodin, shown in this undated family photo released Sunday, Nov. 23, 2003, is missing and the subject of a massive search. (AP Photo/Sjodin Family)
GRAND FORKS, N.D. — A Crookston, Minn. man has been arrested and is facing a kidnapping charge in the disappearance of Dru Sjodin, police said.

Alfonso Rodriguez Jr., 50, was arrested on Monday at 7:20 p.m. in Crookston, Minn., Grand Forks police said.

Rodriguez, a Level 3 sex offender, has a history of sexual contact and attempted kidnapping with adult females, a Minnesota Department of Corrections Web site said.

Rodriguez is being held at the Tri-County Correctional Center in Crookston, Minn., police said.

Dru Sjodin, of Pequot Lakes, Minn., has been missing since Nov. 22, when she left her job at the Columbia Mall in Grand Forks.

Police said a search for Sjodin is ongoing. Police said no further information will be released until a press briefing on Tuesday morning.

The Minnesota Department of Corrections said sexual contact by Rodriguez included penetration in two instances. He also used force and a weapon in assaults. In one instance, he knew the victim. In two others, he did not previously know the victims.

Rodriguez, who is 5-foot-4 and 159 pounds, was no longer under supervision by law enforcement, the Web site said.

Minnesota law classifies Level 3 sex offenders as those at the highest risk for re-offense. Department of Correction officials hold meetings in neighborhoods where offenders plan to live. At those meetings, information about the offender is distributed to the general public, including area of residence, a photograph and a description of the pattern of behavior in the past.

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

wwwxxyyzz
12-02-2003, 12:25 AM
I think you're right Yakwoman. If they thought she was alive they wouldn't be checking the water. Considering how evil this man is and how violent his crimes are it's sad to say she is probably dead. He wouldn't want her to be able to ID him and send him back to prison. I would love to be wrong though and have another Elizabeth Smart miracle.

Yakwoman
12-02-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Kylastar
Unbelievable to me that this monster has been out of prison since May and is no longer supervised. I pray for a miracle in that Dru is found alive. However, I too have seen the clips on Fox that show the divers searching in the water. Doesn't look good. This is so heartbreaking.

I don't think he wasn't being supervised. Actually, there was a town meeting in Crookston to notify the public when he was released from prison and moved to the community. I remember that the meeting was broadcast on the local news. I bet this A**hole was the focus of the investigation from very early on.

starpatch
12-02-2003, 12:27 AM
And the dirty creep as just released last May.

I wonder if his mother knew what he did at the beginning.

He spent 23 years in prison...and what does he do but repeat his previous crimes, only this time it may be worse.

I am just sick about this...my daughter LeeAnne bears great resembelance<SP> to Dru. Can you even in your wildest imagination know what her loving family and friends are thinking?

Oh My, it is beyond horrible.

wwwxxyyzz
12-02-2003, 12:29 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Central/12/01/missing.student/index.html

This article has a little more info in it.
Also some different words than we've heard she said before.

Kylastar
12-02-2003, 12:30 AM
http://www.doc.state.mn.us/level3/OffenderDetail.asp?OID=108212

About 4 lines down from his picture is the line about supervising agent: No Longer Under Supervision

I couldn't believe it when I read it.

Yakwoman
12-02-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Kylastar

About 4 lines down from his picture is the line about supervising agent: No Longer Under Supervision

I couldn't believe it when I read it.

I can't believe it, either! I felt certain that someone like him would still be under supervision after being released just a few short months ago.

ARRGGGHHHH! The Yakwoman is furious!!! :furious:

kylie
12-02-2003, 12:37 AM
There is so much evidence that sexual predators cannot be reformed. Why oh why do they keep letting them out?

wwwxxyyzz
12-02-2003, 12:38 AM
That is just too much!!! For someone with such a violent history to not be watched. I hate to say it but what are the chances that this isn't the first time he's done this since he got out of prison. If he isn't being watched and he is SO EVIL ... GRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! This man needs to be locked up permanently. I can think of a few other things they could do to him too but I'll take the high road here and not say them.

starpatch
12-02-2003, 12:40 AM
I don't think he wasn't being supervised. Actually, there was a town meeting in Crookston to notify the public when he was released from prison and moved to the community. I remember that the meeting was broadcast on the local news. I bet this A**hole was the focus of the investigation from very early on.
I read that the Minn. State Board of corrections called the dirty SOB a predator.so...why wasn't he watched?

starpatch
12-02-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by kylie
There is so much evidence that sexual predators cannot be reformed. Why oh why do they keep letting them out?
Why don't they nueter these animals!!

Would that be against their civil rights perhaps?

wwwxxyyzz
12-02-2003, 12:51 AM
The Grand Forks Police Department refused to elaborate on the arrest.

"Out of respect for the Sjodin family and in the interest of the integrity of the investigation, no further information will be released at this time," a police statement said.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Central/...dent/index.html

I think this statement says a lot. They obviously know enough to arrest him for her kidnapping so the rest of what they know is somewhat obvious. Many times in these cases when they know the person is dead they give the family some private time to grieve before they make it public. This may be what the LE is trying to do for Dru's family. Of course this is just my opinion and I hope I'm wrong.

wwwxxyyzz
12-02-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by starpatch
Why don't they nueter these animals!!

My thoughts exactly!!!

Jessica
12-02-2003, 12:56 AM
On Gretas program they showed a photo of the 50 yr. old man arrested for kidnapping Dru. The reporter said he has been arrested in the past for kidnapping adult women but has not harmed them. I hope this is case for Dru.

MissMisty
12-02-2003, 01:00 AM
Yakwoman

23 years later and the urge still there! I don't remember reading where he has killed anyone...did I miss that?
Misty

Elle Kaye
12-02-2003, 01:01 AM
Well if there was any way she could let her family know if she was okay I am sure she would have done it. Poor girl, and her family. This case is scary. And sad.

Elle

kylie
12-02-2003, 01:01 AM
This doesn't look good. Usually sex offenders progress in their crimes.

MissMisty
12-02-2003, 01:05 AM
That picture makes me sick! He has such an arrogant look on his face! And to think what he probably did to that poor girl!
Misty

wwwxxyyzz
12-02-2003, 01:07 AM
They tend to progress in their crimes too after they've been in prison and have learned new things from other criminals.

I am just sick over this. Why do women have to live with this constant fear? I pray she is ok... Her poor family...

MissMisty
12-02-2003, 01:08 AM
The Grand Forks Police Department refused to elaborate on the arrest.

"Out of respect for the Sjodin family and in the interest of the integrity of the investigation, no further information will be released at this time," a police statement said.

I think this statement says a lot.

Kira,
I think you're right. This reminds me a little of the sick SOB arrested for the murder of Samantha Runnion...seems like it didn't take too long to find him and shortly afterwards, her body was found. They had the goods on Avila right away. I get that same feeling here.
Misty

kylie
12-02-2003, 01:09 AM
We need to stop letting rapists out of prison, period.; They almost always reoffend. I don't get it? I hope the parole board is sued over this!

philamena
12-02-2003, 01:10 AM
The rat bastard! He should have been watched like a hawk. Keep sending Prayers and well wishes to Dru and her family. Please.

Casshew
12-02-2003, 01:12 AM
God, I went to bed and kept thinking about Dru, came back to see if there is more news. :(

That guy just looks too old to be this kind of perp.. I was expecting male, white, late 20's early 30's.. this is a big WAKE UP call to all of us that even the older guy down the block is dangerous.

Heck, if they live with their mother, clue in.

Cass...

wwwxxyyzz
12-02-2003, 01:14 AM
Misty,

Oh little Samantha...that still makes me ill.
She was such a beauty and so young.
That b@%tard needs to have the same
things he did to her done to him 100x over.
All these sickos do. Rape is the most vile
thing imaginable (next to murder) but to
do it to a child!!! Oh I better not get
started on that...it makes me SO ANGRY!!

I think we're going to hear a lot more
tomorrow about Dru too. Oh so sad...

Kira

Yakwoman
12-02-2003, 01:16 AM
God, I went to bed and kept thinking about Dru, came back to see if there is more news. :(

Cass...

Me, too. I just can't sleep thinking about that poor girl.

Valaryn
12-02-2003, 01:16 AM
Website www.finddru.com was accessible at 9:15pm PST so it's still up; they have not pulled it.

Val

wwwxxyyzz
12-02-2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by tylin
The rat bastard! He should have been watched like a hawk. Keep sending Prayers and well wishes to Dru and her family. Please.

Yes he should have! Especially when he's considered a
predator!

I am still praying and won't stop...I know she needs us praying now more than ever...and so does her family.

philamena
12-02-2003, 01:24 AM
Kira,
This has broken my heart. I wanted the kidnapper to be found, but I wanted Dru to be found first.

wwwxxyyzz
12-02-2003, 01:29 AM
I completely agree with you Tylin...I wanted her found first too. I want to know that she is safe. I want her to be surrounded by love and not evil. THEN justice can step in and take care of the SOB that did this horrific thing. But I wanted to see her first too...I completely understand what you mean. It is absolutely heartbreaking.

Storm
12-02-2003, 01:37 AM
You know, Dru was an angel and it's unimaginable that he was on the streets and had access to her or any other woman! I am heartsick and furious with a system that would give him another chance to hurt someone else!

Ghostwheel
12-02-2003, 01:39 AM
Here's the really sad part. I do believe she is no longer alive. This is what it takes to get someone like this off the streets for life. The death of an innocent human being. How wrong is that?

wwwxxyyzz
12-02-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Ghostwheel
This is what it takes to get someone like this off the streets for life. The death of an innocent human being. How wrong is that?

Wow Ghostwheel you nailed that one on the head.
How truly wrong it is that it has to happen that way.

Storm
12-02-2003, 01:48 AM
Ghostwheel....how unbelievable..3 rapes aren't enough..he actually has to kill a human being to be considered a threat to society enough to keep him off the streets!

philamena
12-02-2003, 01:50 AM
Let's just hope she is found alive....

Ghostwheel
12-02-2003, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by tylin
Let's just hope she is found alive.... They've charged this guy with kidnapping, which means they have some evidence. If he hasn't killed her, I'd think he'd be saying where she is pretty quickly, so we should know pretty soon.

MissMisty
12-02-2003, 02:30 AM
I don't think she's alive either. I have a feeling they may find her in that lake. I'm thinking we will hear a lot more tomorrow.
God bless you, Dru!
Misty

Sarahsue
12-02-2003, 02:31 AM
http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/4243256.html

Here is a new story link posted on 12-2.. Seems this monster "considered most at risk to reoffend".. How could they not watch him!
Also says
Rodriguez was released from prison May 1. He had been found guilty in June 1980 of first-degree assault and kidnapping for stabbing a woman and forcing her into his car, but it was unclear if that was his most recent conviction.

Unbelievable!:confused:

Cypros
12-02-2003, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by Sarahsue

Rodriguez was released from prison May 1. He had been found guilty in June 1980 of first-degree assault and kidnapping for stabbing a woman and forcing her into his car, but it was unclear if that was his most recent conviction.

Other reports say that Rodriguez was just released from a 23-year prison sentence so it seems that the 1980 assault was his last offense.

Doyle
12-02-2003, 06:29 AM
I wonder if North Dakota has the death penalty...

and also if possibly Rodriguez was the one that told LE to look in the lake...

sadly, I also believe she is no longer alive.

mindys
12-02-2003, 07:14 AM
How can this be? Its not right! This young woman, so beautiful, so full of life, so full of promise. Its only a little after 6:00 am here and already this day sucks.

Her website is no longer available. :(

maggief
12-02-2003, 09:27 AM
EXCERPT

Posted on Tue, Dec. 02, 2003

Police arrest suspect
22-year-old UND student still missing
By Stephen J. Lee
Herald Staff Writer

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/7392190.htm

...Rodriguez grew up in Crookston and first was convicted of attempted aggravated rape and aggravated rape in 1974 in Crookston and sent to prison. During a furlough from prison in 1979, he attacked another woman, attempting to abduct her from a city sidewalk in Crookston. He was convicted of attempted kidnapping and aggravated assault in 1980.

He remained in prison from 1980 until May 1 of this year.

State officials say Rodriguez previously was known to one victim and attacked two other women who did not know him, according to state correctional officials.

Wayne Swanson, who prosecuted Rodriguez in 1980 and served as Polk County attorney from 1979 to 2002, recalled the case Monday night.

"He attempted to abduct a woman off the street," Swanson said. "She fought him. He stabbed her. She did get away from him. She was not about to go with him. She was a pretty gutsy lady."

Rodriguez was in his 20s at the time of the Crookston assault, and the woman was 35 to 40 years old, Swanson said. Rodriguez drove away after the woman fought back, but he was arrested later partly with the help of a sketch the woman made.

"The woman he attacked was a very good artist, and she drew a full head drawing of him, which I held up against him when I did the final argument - it looked like a photograph, it was that good," Swanson said.

Rodriguez was sentenced to more than 20 years in prison for the assault because of his history of two previous sexual assault convictions, Swanson said.

"The judge determined that he was a very dangerous man," Swanson said.

Rodriguez also used a knife in an earlier sexual assault, Swanson said.

"I think he used a knife in all of them," he said.

According to the Department of Corrections Web site, Rodriguez has a "history of sexual contact and attempted kidnapping with adult females. Contact included penetration in two instances." It also states that Rodriguez was known to one of his victims, but not two others.

(snip)

Yakwoman
12-02-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Doyle
I wonder if North Dakota has the death penalty...

No, Doyle. There is no death penalty in North Dakota.

mindys
12-02-2003, 09:48 AM
Yakwoman, what's your local news saying. Is this creep talking??

I want to thank you for all you've done since the beginning to keep us informed on what is going on. I wish it had a different outcome but perhaps you helped keep the pressure on this perp and additionally, I know you did this family a great honor by caring so deeply and making sure we knew about Dru from the very start.

Yakwoman
12-02-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by mindys
Yakwoman, what's your local news saying. Is this creep talking??

There is a press conference scheduled for this morning at 11:00 a.m. I'll listen to the radio and report back. In the mean time, here's an article that gives some more background on this scumbag.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/7392190.htm

Juliana
12-02-2003, 10:22 AM
Mindys: "I know you did this family a great honor by caring so deeply and making sure we knew about Dru from the very start."

I second that! Thank you, Yakwoman.

Juliana
12-02-2003, 10:42 AM
I'm just sick to my stomach over this. The article Yakwoman posted above says LE is requesting volunteers for a ground search Wednesday. Her family is still holding out hope, but that doesn't sound good. These monsters should just be locked away for life - I'd gladly pay the taxes for that.

I just can't praise LE enough. Last I heard they had no suspects, just a couple of "persons of interest". They played this really close to the vest, and it paid off. I wonder if someone tipped them to Rodriguez or what...

sunny
12-02-2003, 10:43 AM
Thanks to all of you for keeping us updated on the latest on this case. I have been following this story in the news I didn't know WBS had a thread on it. Thanks to everyone for their input I'm afraid there is not a good outcome so SAD:twocents: :twocents: :sick: :sick:

Bailey1
12-02-2003, 10:49 AM
Yakowoman, I have read the stories and saw the interview with the Dad early on..still doesn't make sense. I am not saying bf and parents are involved at all just w/all the crimes of kidnappings and violence you would think the bf would have called police after the call AND the father would give more info to the public (investigation or not).

They got the guy anyway now. To me noone took this seriously enough. Personally, the investigators are usually the ones that screw up missing persons being found by telling the parents/loved ones to hush up in lieu of the investigation. It is the PUBLIC (IMHO) that can help the most find a missing person but they need info...circumstances ..details to do this.

Bailey1
12-02-2003, 10:56 AM
Our legal system SUCKS when it comes to sexual predators. WHy oh why do we NEED a sexual data base that lists levels of risk? THEY SHOULD BE LOCKED UP UNLESS THERE IS ZERO RISK!!!!!!!

This is an insult to all justice this monster was released...sexual predators should be in prison for life. There is no way any "therapy" can control someone's perverted lust.

tamjo614
12-02-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Bailey1
I am not saying bf and parents are involved at all just w/all the crimes of kidnappings and violence you would think the bf would have called police after the call AND the father would give more info to the public (investigation or not).

More than likely, we don't know the whole story. I'm sure the boyfriend and family haven't given more details because the authorities asked them not to. If it were my daughter, I would be doing everything the police asked me to and nothing they asked me not to. Maybe the boyfriend alerted the roommate early on, but they didn't want to jump the gun about the phone call. They probably wanted to be SURE before calling the police.

Bailey1
12-02-2003, 11:04 AM
The Megan's law is useless to me. In our state of NJ..WHERE MEGAN KANKAS WAS KILLED it gives ZERO helpful info. It is stale, out dated, lists no addresses or streets, places of work...NOTHIN. Only lists numbers of predators by "county"??????? You could have 50 sexual sadists living next to you with a history of everything and not know it. Beyond all reason.

Then they have evil freaks like this guy and admit "STRONG RISK WILL STRIKE AGAIN"...and let him walk into a community with no supervision????????????/

There is absolutely no hope for our society with idiots running our legal systems/parole boards if this continues.

Parole should not even be an option. No database should be needed...ONE STRIKE YOU ARE OUT!

iF YOU SO MUCH AS GET CAUGHT "attempting" kidnapping..your gone. Think of all the children who could be safe right now if all the low lifes viewing child porno were behind bars?

alexia
12-02-2003, 11:11 AM
Victoria Secrets Fashion Show... he probably thought he was kidnapping an angel. sad. sickos.

the Mall is a perfect place for sexual predators to find prey. I'm all for women's self defense classes.
and strict rehab for predators.

Yakwoman
12-02-2003, 11:45 AM
Yakowoman, I have read the stories and saw the interview with the Dad early on..still doesn't make sense. I am not saying bf and parents are involved at all just w/all the crimes of kidnappings and violence you would think the bf would have called police after the call AND the father would give more info to the public (investigation or not).

Speaking as someone who lives in the community where this occured, I can tell you that law enforcement gave 110% to this case and worked very closely with Dru's family. The family has nothing but praise for the authorities in their handling of the case. And please remember that we do not yet know the full story. But if they have not found Dru yet, I do not believe the poor angel is alive. More than likely, she was killed that first night.

As for Dru's boyfriend, he WAS concerned immediately and tried to contact her via her roommate, who was also concerned. In reality, law enforcement moved very quickly in taking this case seriously.

thomasf1925
12-02-2003, 12:06 PM
I think it appears as though the local LE has indeed handled this case with the high priority and utmost respect it deserved. Job well done, LE!!!! Obviously, there are a lot of details none of us know yet, but LE has undoubtedly been working this case 24/7, and I applaud them!!! (I'm new and don't know how to "do" the smilies and faces - but if I did - you can bet I'd be including some on this post!!!!!)

Storm
12-02-2003, 12:07 PM
I decided years ago (I'm 51 now), that they would just have to kill me in the parking lot, I would not go with anyone if I could avoid it, weapon or not. If I were in my car and they were in it, I'd hit the next tree I could find....
Bad idea?

tamjo614
12-02-2003, 12:16 PM
I was discussing this same thing with my mother. If someone pulled a weapon on me or tried to force me into a vehicle, I would take my chances and run. They would have to kill me right there in front of God and everybody. I figure once you have gotten into a vehicle, you are probably doomed.

Of course, that is me talking now. When you are approached with such a situation, you don't know what you would do.

I'm still holding out hope this lady will be found safe somewhere.

turbosleuthing
12-02-2003, 12:33 PM
I just want to put my 2cents in...........it will be alot longer and I mostly agree with what everyone is saying but perhaps it will make me feel better.

I am just incredibly p*ssed off that this even happened to Dru. What a beautiful girl she is.
This scumbag should not have even been let out. If he was still behind bars Dru would have been able to enjoy Thanksgiving with her family and all the money that was put into the search and that will be put into the search could have gone to another cause. But in our sick sick world for some reason we find it ok to let this bastard out. I am almost speechless (b/c I have so much to say) This is just uncalled for as it is in all the cases where someone gets out of prison and repeats the crime. What good has this man done since he's been out? What has he contributed to society to make it better? Why do they let people like this out. I'm going to stop ranting, I do believe things need to change, maybe I'll run for president..................

I pray that Dru is found alive and that she will be ok and she and her family can move forward from this.

I pray this sick bastard talks...........tells everything and then dies of a very painful heart attack!

starpatch
12-02-2003, 12:34 PM

starpatch
12-02-2003, 12:36 PM
What the law says: Level III Sex Offenders

Published December 2, 2003 THREBX

A Level III sex offender is determined to be at the highest risk of all predatory offenders for reoffending. They are required to register when they move,

and authorities distribute information about such offenders throughout the communities or neighborhoods where they live. That includes holding public meetings about the notification process, the registration of offenders and information about the Level III offender.

Information about the specific offender is also released -- including a general area of residence, a description of the offender and a description of the offender's past behavior. This disclosure does not apply to an offender in a licensed residential facility where staff members are trained to manage sexual offenders, nor does it apply to offenders in secure hospitals operated by the Department of Human Services.

Source: Minnesota Department of Corrections.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thomasf1925
12-02-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by turbosleuthing
I just want to put my 2cents in...........it will be alot longer and I mostly agree with what everyone is saying but perhaps it will make me feel better.

I am just incredibly p*ssed off that this even happened to Dru. What a beautiful girl she is.
This scumbag should not have even been let out. If he was still behind bars Dru would have been able to enjoy Thanksgiving with her family and all the money that was put into the search and that will be put into the search could have gone to another cause. But in our sick sick world for some reason we find it ok to let this bastard out. I am almost speechless (b/c I have so much to say) This is just uncalled for as it is in all the cases where someone gets out of prison and repeats the crime. What good has this man done since he's been out? What has he contributed to society to make it better? Why do they let people like this out. I'm going to stop ranting, I do believe things need to change, maybe I'll run for president..................

I pray that Dru is found alive and that she will be ok and she and her family can move forward from this.

I pray this sick bastard talks...........tells everything and then dies of a very painful heart attack!

thomasf1925
12-02-2003, 12:47 PM
Well, sorry I screwed that up (above, when "trying" to quote turbosleuthing ...)

I wanted to add, "AMEN"

Good post, Turbosleuthing. That's exactly how I feel, and what I'd like to say! It really makes me livid that a life is wasted, gone, and missed forever because a sick criminal got his satisfaction AGAIN from an innocent lovely human being.

Storm
12-02-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by thomasf1925

I agree with you completely ..I am so upset that this happened to her and there has to be a change in our laws to keep those predators in jail where they belong. How many more are out there waiting their chance to strike an innocent person?

packerdog
12-02-2003, 12:59 PM
This is just heartbreaking, I feel so sorry for her poor family. This goes to show you there is no cure for these sex offenders.

Storm
12-02-2003, 01:04 PM
Listening to the Press Conference now, they seem to have not ruled out that she may still be alive...

wwwxxyyzz
12-02-2003, 01:04 PM
They are holding the press conference on CNN.

Edited: Sorry Storm we posted at the same time. :)

Yakwoman
12-02-2003, 01:10 PM
It seems that they are not releasing any information. The State's Attorney did say that they had probable cause to believe that he was in the parking lot the day of the abduction. All in all, they are being very tight-lipped.

They are asking for volunteers 18 years of age or older to search tomorrow.

Casshew
12-02-2003, 01:14 PM
Did they discuss the "fluid" in the car?

Cass...

wwwxxyyzz
12-02-2003, 01:17 PM
It sounds like they must have video surveillance or a witness that places him at the mall. They seem to be VERY sure this is the perp.

I'm really very impressed with the LE being so quiet about this. They are really looking out for Dru and her family. That is refreshing to see.

This just came to me...
Do you think that the reason they are being so tight lipped is maybe someone else was involved? Maybe someone else is holding her and that is why they are being so quiet...to not tip off the other perp?

Edited to say: I'm hoping and praying she is alive and this would be a possible way she could be.

Yakwoman
12-02-2003, 01:18 PM
Did they discuss the "fluid" in the car?

No - they will not say ANYTHING concerning the evidence they have. I think they are making sure this is an air-tight case against this scum.

Her father and brother are speaking now, urging everyone to keep searching their property for any evidence. The family seem to be holding up pretty well.

Laneymae
12-02-2003, 01:21 PM
It sounds like they must have video surveillance or a witness that places him at the mall. They seem to be VERY sure this is the perp.

I'm really very impressed with the LE being so quiet about this. They are really looking out for Dru and her family. That is refreshing to see.

This just came to me...
Do you think that the reason they are being so tight lipped is maybe someone else was involved? Maybe someone else is holding her and that is why they are being so quiet...to not tip off the other perp?

Edited to say: I'm hoping and praying she is alive and this would be a possible way she could be.

They just held a press conference and the surveillance tape places him where she was abducted. He is not cooperating with police.

Yakwoman
12-02-2003, 01:22 PM
Local radio is now saying that since the perp's photo was released, more tips have started coming in.

mindys
12-02-2003, 01:25 PM
I am so, so sad about this case. I'm also furious. The worst feeling personally is the hopelessness against these type of people (Rodriguez). I'm a parent, I can't feel this way but it seems like we have no chance against them. One person can cause such heartache that reaches millions. Oh how I pray for a miracle, please let good triumph over evil.

Elle Kaye
12-02-2003, 01:37 PM
I sure hope Dru is alive somewhere. I just hope she is found soon for the sake of the family. That poor family.

I hope this man is put away for life this time.

miimaa
12-02-2003, 01:46 PM
Yakwoman, please keep us informed. I have tried to access her website all morning and can not get on. Thanks.

Storm
12-02-2003, 01:47 PM
We need to do more than put this man away for life. Any person who has used a weapon like he has in previous crimes should never be permitted parole. Change the laws! Keep the #3's behind bars for life!

alexia
12-02-2003, 01:48 PM
the longer the perp has with the victim... the more time she doesn't have to survive.
they pick their victims.
please take self defense courses.

starpatch
12-02-2003, 01:55 PM
Rodriguez was sentenced to more than 20 years in prison for the assault because of his history of two previous sexual assault convictions, Swanson said.

"The judge determined that he was a very dangerous man," Swanson said.

Rodriguez also used a knife in an earlier sexual assault, Swanson said.

"I think he used a knife in all of them," he said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I wonder how the State of Minn. feels now about their Parole Board.
I watched the News Conference.
What I saw ...was that the LE is holding out hope to find her alive.
Wish they would torture that creep til he tells all! Why does that miserable thing need any rights when he tryed to destroy many people with his perversions.

Elle Kaye
12-02-2003, 02:13 PM
Hopefully he will be put in with some people in jail who will help him get over his perversions. I wonder why they didn't do this when he was in before.

People like this man should never see the light of day. How does someone get like this?

Bailey1
12-02-2003, 02:25 PM
Tamjo said..."If it were my daughter, I would be doing everything the police asked me to and nothing they asked me not to...."

As God forbid a mother or parent of a MISSING child..her missing is more important than the actual Perp in terms of priority. Getting info out to the PUBLIC is crucial to having someone come forward on her where abouts! THIS to me is crucial and IMHO is still being minimized in the name of the "investigation"!

This young girl is still missing....regardless if the perp is behind bars. So not saying squat because the police told me too doesn't do much for her right now does it? So I stand by when this FIRST happened getting everything out..circumstances and all to the public to FIND HER...worry about the investigation on the perp later.

I think we can all attest to the first 24hrs. as being most crucial to a MISSING person's case??? The father IMHO didn't say squat in the interview.... who cares about the investigation if someone who is unfamiliar with the circumsatances hears/sees the interview and something sparks their memory and/or BECAUSE of that interview sees/hears something...to me telling all I know to the public is more important.

mindys
12-02-2003, 02:31 PM
Bailey, its simply not right to come down on her father. We need to put the blame where it belongs, on the perp. This Father is missing his heart and soul, how can anyone expect him to talk, to even put together a coherent sentence. My sympathy and hope go out to him. Her boyfriend too. There is no right way to handle a situation such as this, but they did nothing wrong at the start and are doing nothing wrong now. Little 'ole me, thousands of miles away and having never met Dru, knows everything that is out there about her, they did a lot RIGHT.

turbosleuthing
12-02-2003, 02:31 PM
Could the "body fluid" possibly be blood since he has used a knife before? I would think though that LE would then have thought the worse (perhaps not) but wouldn't they have said something if it was blood.

(**Yes I know I am talking to myself and in circles**)

My idea of prison reform:
I am all for putting these people in one place with no key...........alligators/sharks spiders/snakes etc around them.
Food....... I don't think we should feed them we should dump our trash there and let them pick through it.......
Beds.........there's a big comfy pile of trash over there----->
Clothing........they don't need it allows easy access for them to become the prey and also I think it may make them feel a bit more vulnerable.
Medical Care..............Live with it........get over it...........lots of people not in prison go without medical care.
Water........I am for giving them water............(Where is a very rainy spot to put them in?)

I think that is what prison should be like..............TV working out, a library...............that makes me sick.........they should put orphans in those types of conditions

(This comment meaning some children live worse off than the prisoners do and they are both supported by the government)

Bailey1
12-02-2003, 02:36 PM
PS< I'm not trying to be critical to this LE just that the investigation is less important than info that can help find this girl... most police in general have been incompetent to me in terms of missing people and they still don't get it.

Leanna was botched from the get go for LACK of info out to the public. IMHO, Elizabeth Smart could have been handled differently if the Public was made aware of more info from the get go...and those poor young girls (ie. Ashely POnd, etc.) ...died unnecessarily due to the police keeping tight lips, and no info getting out on the circumstances from the first girl.. who by her own lips complained of the evil bastard that ended up taking her life and ultimately her friends...not to mention another 19yr. old getting raped. If we all are left with "questions"...than how does that help with a missing person! The police can only do so much....THE SHEAR QUANTITY OF THE WORLD is far more efficient finding a person than a few police folk who regulate the publics info?

Don't know about all of you but I hate it when I'm told..."this person was cleared, that person was cleared"...IN TERMS OF WHAT???? Why? Never said. We just have to "believe".

That doesn't cut it when the victim is never found.

JON BONET is a perfect example. Too many suspects "cleared" and we are to just accept it when the truth is NOONE KNOWS. But how can the public help when we no nothing as to who the suspects were and conditions of them being cleared? h ello

Bailey1
12-02-2003, 02:47 PM
Mindys, I'm not coming down on the father just expressing my opinion "in general" on missing person's cases in terms of getting info out. In the first 24hrs is when I saw the interview..before anyone knew of this perp...he mentioned he knew of someone harrassing and that is all what he said.

I just wish we could learn something through all these cases to get the word out to the public, that's all, parents, police EVERYONE. Isn't that what the Amber alert is about? John Walsh show isn't John Walsh..it's INFORMATION.

I hope she gets found at this point, that's all.

mindys
12-02-2003, 02:48 PM
Info on Rodriguez vehicle, I apologize if this has already been posted:

http://www.grandforksgov.com/Rodriguez%20Vehicle.htm

Ghostwheel
12-02-2003, 02:58 PM
I don't think this man got out on parole, BTW. It looks like he served his whole term, and that is why he was not under surveillance. Which is stupid, because if they are high risk of re-offense, they SHOULD be under surveillance.

Since they are asking people to search their property, that sounds like they don't hold much hope of her being alive. LE could not release the perp's name until they had him in custody, or he'd fly. If there is strong evidence pointing to her no longer being alive, and they need to make sure this piece of garbage gets off the street, it becomes more important to make sure they have him signed, sealed and delivered in court, than to tell everything they know in order to find the body, and possibly ruining their case.

Sorry for the pessimistic view, but it's most likely the reality.

Ghostwheel
12-02-2003, 03:02 PM
***********Soap box alert on************
This guy tried to kill somone by stabbing them during a previous attack. Had this gotten the same penalty as if he had actually killed them, he'd have been sentenced for life, and this wouldn't have happened.
**********Soap Box Alert off*************

I return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Ghostwheel
12-02-2003, 03:08 PM
Links off of mindys link
http://www.grandforksgov.com/gfgov/home.nsf/Pages/5828C49F0DE1E9FB86256D840046537F?OpenDocument
These people busted their behinds.

tamjo614
12-02-2003, 03:13 PM
Tamjo said..."If it were my daughter, I would be doing everything the police asked me to and nothing they asked me not to...."

As God forbid a mother or parent of a MISSING child..her missing is more important than the actual Perp in terms of priority. Getting info out to the PUBLIC is crucial to having someone come forward on her where abouts! THIS to me is crucial and IMHO is still being minimized in the name of the "investigation"!

This young girl is still missing....regardless if the perp is behind bars. So not saying squat because the police told me too doesn't do much for her right now does it? So I stand by when this FIRST happened getting everything out..circumstances and all to the public to FIND HER...worry about the investigation on the perp later.

I think we can all attest to the first 24hrs. as being most crucial to a MISSING person's case??? The father IMHO didn't say squat in the interview.... who cares about the investigation if someone who is unfamiliar with the circumsatances hears/sees the interview and something sparks their memory and/or BECAUSE of that interview sees/hears something...to me telling all I know to the public is more important.

Bailey - I am only speaking for myself here, I guess. I would keep my faith in law enforcement to know what they are doing in the investigation. I would not be able to live with myself if I chose to do what law enforcement asked me not to and my child paid the price. That doesn't mean I wouldn't be screaming on the inside. Trust me.

Of course, that's only me. The Police are trained professionals. Who would I be to jeopardize their investigation? Oh, that's right...the victims parent. Again, I restate that I wouldn't want any harm to come to my child due to not being able to control myself. If I were on the brink of screaming what I knew from the police into the cameras, I would hope someone would hold me down.

Love_Mama
12-02-2003, 03:19 PM
What the law says: Level III Sex Offenders

Published December 2, 2003 THREBX

A Level III sex offender is determined to be at the highest risk of all predatory offenders for reoffending. They are required to register when they move,

and authorities distribute information about such offenders throughout the communities or neighborhoods where they live. That includes holding public meetings about the notification process, the registration of offenders and information about the Level III offender.

Information about the specific offender is also released -- including a general area of residence, a description of the offender and a description of the offender's past behavior. This disclosure does not apply to an offender in a licensed residential facility where staff members are trained to manage sexual offenders, nor does it apply to offenders in secure hospitals operated by the Department of Human Services.

Source: Minnesota Department of Corrections.
Same thing here in California Starpatch. We have a map available online where you can type in an address and they have colored circles that show within three block's where these people live. I love it.

xxxxxxxooo
mama

Yakwoman
12-02-2003, 03:41 PM

I think we can all attest to the first 24hrs. as being most crucial to a MISSING person's case??? The father IMHO didn't say squat in the interview....

I don't quite understand. What exactly is it that you think he didn't say that he should have said? Please enlighten me.

starpatch
12-02-2003, 04:02 PM
I don't quite understand. What exactly is it that you think he didn't say that he should have said? Please enlighten me.

I think LE and the families have done a very good job.

LE has held much close to the vest.

They had help from all over, and, I am quite certain, that the FBI and Minn. and NoDak. LE , had told the family the parameters of what to say and not to say.

I am praying that they find that beautiful girl soon, alive and well. That is my prayer.

Yakwoman
12-02-2003, 04:09 PM
I think LE and the families have done a very good job.

LE has held much close to the vest.

They had help from all over, and, I am quite certain, that the FBI and Minn. and NoDak. LE , had told the family the parameters of what to say and not to say.

Exactly. Since the abduction, it has been the lead story on the local news and on the front page of the newspaper every single day. It even had national attention. It was clearly kept very much in the public eye.

Sarahsue
12-02-2003, 04:20 PM
Sjodin's car was found in the Columbia Mall's parking lot. There was no blood and no obvious signs of a struggle in the car, which had at least one open door.

Looks like we can rule out the "substance found" as blood.

Love_Mama
12-02-2003, 05:00 PM
Just popped in to say I'm praying they find this gal alive.
If we all say prayer.....that will help a lot.......

xxxxxxxxooo
mama

prism
12-02-2003, 05:07 PM
Seems as though someone who really cares about this gal put up the website in the hope that it may help someone to identify her.
I was trying to access the site this AM, but then it occured to me, that I can do no help at all being across the country.
The server is being overloaded by voyeurs wanting to know more details on this horrible case. Not that they don't care, but they aren't useful.
I'll do my little bit and stay off the site until they find her. I hope it's soon and she's alive. I hadn't realized it's been almost 8 days...pretty grim outlook, but it's worth a prayer.

mindys
12-02-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by prism
Seems as though someone who really cares about this gal put up the website in the hope that it may help someone to identify her.
I was trying to access the site this AM, but then it occured to me, that I can do no help at all being across the country.
The server is being overloaded by voyeurs wanting to know more details on this horrible case. Not that they don't care, but they aren't useful.
I'll do my little bit and stay off the site until they find her. I hope it's soon and she's alive. I hadn't realized it's been almost 8 days...pretty grim outlook, but it's worth a prayer.

Hi, Welcome! The people who put up the website were the family.

johnny
12-02-2003, 08:46 PM
Ok guys quit bickering over LE,

Right now it sounds like more "Sleuthing" should be focused on where Dru might be and hopefully narrow down areas.

The Liquid or Fluid was found in her car in the seat? Possibly she had some sort of beverage and when Rodriguez abducted her she was attempting to get into the car and spilled whatever it was?

Where was his car found? What is the proximity to where he lived and the mall? Where did the past sexual assaults take place? How close did he live to these places? What was the weather like the day she was abducted? Where did he work? What time?

One of her family members made a great statement " Were not counting the days she's been missing but a countdown until we find her"

I'm sorry I haven't been here sooner! Wondering if I should fly up and help search!

Storm
12-02-2003, 08:53 PM
Johnny,
Sure sounds like they could use you!
Does anyone know where the mall is in relationship to where he lived?
Anyway we can find more information on the MO of his past crimes?
Anyone have more information? Anyone...?

Casshew
12-02-2003, 08:56 PM
Anyone know what his Mother has to say about all this? Didn;t he live with his Mom?

Cass...

Ghostwheel
12-02-2003, 09:01 PM
All articles I have read so far state that the phone at his mother's house has not been answered when it has been called.

mindys
12-02-2003, 09:03 PM
Hi Johnny, one of the good sleuther's here suggested the fluid might be urine, I thought that was a good possibility as quick elimination like that can come from being extremely, extremely scared, atleast from the female perspective, you see that with young children especially but it wouldn't surprise me at all here.

But then again, a drink spilling is a good simple thought and often the simplest explanation is the best and most often right one. Something unexpected happened from the perp's side because her door was left open, perhaps she tried to throw the drink on him. I keep trying to figure the timing and how he got her away in broad daylight. It only had to take literally two seconds, he must have been watching her from his car her whole way out of the mall, and pulled up driver's side to driver's side. How brazen, we know the guy in custody used weapon's in the past, what a coward, she is taller than him but he had her way outweighed. I too think there is a good chance she is still alive. He must have made some real nice friends in prison (Gag) all those years, what a prize she would have been, to kill her right away doesn't seem to fit this guy's MO.

mindys
12-02-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Storm
Johnny,
Sure sounds like they could use you!
Does anyone know where the mall is in relationship to where he lived?
Anyway we can find more information on the MO of his past crimes?
Anyone have more information? Anyone...?

45 minutes away was the reported distance.

mindys
12-02-2003, 09:09 PM
Anyone know what his Mother has to say about all this? Didn;t he live with his Mom?

Cass...

Geez Cass, I don't which would be worse, being Jackie Peterson or this woman. All those year's he was gone, here she is in her twilight year's, and now what she has had to endure. You know the police didn't just knock quietly. But, perhaps she called and helped, remember Samantha Runnion, it was that perp's family that called LE on him. God help us all, but especially Dru.

mindys
12-02-2003, 09:13 PM
Rodriguez wasn't recommended for commitment
Brian Bakst, Associated Press

Published December 3, 2003 COMM03

Alfonso Rodriguez Jr., the man suspected in the disappearance of a University of North Dakota student, was considered for civil commitment near the end of his 23-year sentence for an attempted abduction.

But a psychologist who examined Rodriguez in 2001 decided against recommending he be civilly committed and a special board concurred, according to Bill Donnay, interim leader of the program that deals with sex offenders and community notification.

Rodriguez ``had not shown any indications of an inability to control sexual impulses'' and had a ``very good history of behavior during incarceration,'' Donnay said. Those factors played into their decision not to seek continued confinement.

Upon his release, the only requirement was that he register as a sex offender and provide authorities with his address, said Corrections Commissioner Joan Fabian.

``We can't put surveillance on, we can't supervise, we have no authority to do that if they are not under some kind of official status,'' said Fabian, who took pains to note that the review of Rodriguez's standing occurred before the current administration came in.

``If I had seen this case before, yeah, I sure would have looked at it and looked to refer it for civil commitment,'' she said.

Repeat rapists and pedophiles who have served prison terms and been declared sexually dangerous by judges are confined at secure psychiatric hospitals in Moose Lake and St. Peter in the Minnesota Sexual Offender Program. People in the program may be confined indefinitely.

Placing someone in the program is a complex process. Inmates who reach a certain score on an initial test are then interviewed by a psychologist.

The psychologist decides whether to forward the case to a three-person committee within the Corrections Department, which then would decide whether to send the case to a county attorney - who then would choose whether or not to seek a civil commitment.

Of 3,400 people who completed their sentences for felony sex crimes in the last 15 years, 299 had their cases referred to a county attorney for possible commitment. Of that number, county attorneys requested 185 commitments. Courts granted 156 commitments.

Level 3 sex offenders - the most serious classification - typically meet the initial score to be interviewed by a psychologist, Donnay said. Minnesota has 115 people who fall into Rodriguez's category of being a Level 3 offender released into the community, he said.

Fabian said her agency will start referring cases of all Level 3 offenders to county attorneys for possible civil commitment.

mindys
12-02-2003, 09:18 PM
"Wednesday is going to be a very important day"

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Central/12/02/missing.student/

johnny
12-02-2003, 09:27 PM
From downtown Grand Forks it looks like about 25 miles to Dolores Rodriguez ( his mother ) home at 210 Adams Street in Crookston Minnessota.

Also Hwy 2 runs beside his home as well as a railroad track.

The Red Lake River also runs north to south from Grand Forks to Crookston (although Crookston is more south east

Juliana
12-02-2003, 09:36 PM
Johnny asked: "Where did he work? What time?"

I read that he was not employed (big surprise).

johnny
12-02-2003, 09:45 PM
They said they are concentrating the search seven mile from the mall ? which direction?

The River was not frozen at the time of Dru's abduction, and they are cutting holes in the ice checking the river.

Was she talking on the cell phone at the time of the abduction?

Which rest area? Most likely routes to and from Adams street to the mall?

How much did she weigh? 130lbs

He (159lbs) couldn't have carried her far..........

johnny
12-02-2003, 09:56 PM
She was "talking" to her boyfriend at 5:00pm sounds like a conversation that ended abruptly. She had went shopping after work and the items were found in or around the car. Her drivers door was locked? was he in the car? or got around to the passengers side? Did that door lock work? The car had previous damage and sexual offenders are known to dis-engage door locks.

Was the 2002 maroon car his or his mothers? Where'd he get the money? Possibly working for cash?

Storm
12-02-2003, 10:00 PM
Her weight was given at 130. If he weighs 159, I wouldn't think he could carry her far at all...Her brother is on FoxNews cable now

johnny
12-02-2003, 10:05 PM
Wow! Fisher is about half way to Crookston from Grand Forks and the Burlington Northern Railroad runs parallel with Highway 2 all the way from Grand Fork through Fisher to Crookston! I guess the rest are is off Hwy 2.

Also it was getting dark about the time he would get to Fisher and that would increase his since of safety.

jat
12-02-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Storm
Her weight was given at 130. If he weighs 159, I wouldn't think he could carry her far at all...Her brother is on FoxNews cable now

If the photos of him on the news, etc. are recent, there is no way he is only 160 lbs. I am 150 lbs. and 5'4" and I am no where near that size!

mindys
12-03-2003, 12:29 AM
"Her weight was given at 130. If he weighs 159, I wouldn't think he could carry her far at all"

Its amazing though the strength people have when their adrenaline is pumping. From the definition in Webster's, adrenaline is a "hormone secreted by the adrenal glands or synthesized for use as a drug." Its not to far of a stretch to believe he could have carried or dragged her a good distance, what's more likely though is that he didn't have to do either. He took the cowards way and used a weapon or verbal threats to gain her compliance.

johnny
12-03-2003, 12:49 AM
The Laura Recovery Center and Bob Wolcutt have statistics on such things....and usually bodies are found within a couple hundred feet of a road way, and usually just off the road .....many factors come into play...time constraints, concealment, nerves, surrounding area, pre-meditation etc. (media attention)

mindys
12-03-2003, 12:52 AM
http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/news/nation/7392168.htm

What a rollercoaster of thoughts and emotions this case brings.

LvsAMystry
12-03-2003, 01:06 AM
This is such a terrible thing and I also hope she is found alive. My thoughts are with her family tonight.

I am not familiar with the area at all, but I was curious to see where Crookston is in relation to the first place they centered the 2nd cell phone call around. Looking back at the article, that call was centered in the Fisher, MN area. I looked on the map and this town appears to be midway between Grand Forks and Crookston along Hwy 2. I'm not sure how this corresponds to where the river in question is, but someone else may know.

MissMisty
12-03-2003, 01:35 AM
While I think Dru is deceased, I hold out hope that she is alive! For some reason, when I heard about the call placed a few hours after she disappeared, I assumed that it was her abductor. Again, not sure why. Now, I'm thinking, what if it was Dru trying to call for help? That is so heartbreaking! and if true, then she was alive a few hours after her disappearance. So sad.
Misty

Yakwoman
12-03-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by LvsAMystry
I am not familiar with the area at all, but I was curious to see where Crookston is in relation to the first place they centered the 2nd cell phone call around. Looking back at the article, that call was centered in the Fisher, MN area. I looked on the map and this town appears to be midway between Grand Forks and Crookston along Hwy 2. I'm not sure how this corresponds to where the river in question is, but someone else may know.

There are actually two rivers - the Red River and the Red Lake River. The Red River is the natural boundary between North Dakota and Minnesota. The Red Lake River branches off from the Red River at Grand Forks/East Grand Forks. Here is a link to a map that shows the relation of the rivers to Grand Forks, Fisher and Crookston.

http://www.crk.umn.edu/nature-northwest/redlakewebsite/CanoeMaps.htm

Yakwoman

Yakwoman
12-03-2003, 10:52 AM
1980 attack victim tells her story.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/7400082.htm

mindys
12-03-2003, 11:31 AM
1980 attack victim tells her story.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/7400082.htm

Ya know, I was reading this link and one yesterday from the same site, the irony is just amazing, the "personal ads" JUMP out at me, on the bottom left of the page, the messages and pictures these people post just make me want to scream, especially while reading about a tragedy such as what happened to Dru. Don't these people get it yet that they are playing with FIRE??!!! And why can't the web site leave that crap off there especially on an article about this type of thing!!

I'll get off my soap box now. LOL

stormonster
12-03-2003, 12:06 PM
As heartbreaking as the thought is, I think they will find the phone in her hand.

mindys
12-03-2003, 12:08 PM
Dru's Mom will be on MSNBC momentarily. She is as beautiful as her daughter. My heart breaks for her.

Doyle
12-03-2003, 12:09 PM
He sure messed with the wrong woman in 1980....

She fought him off, and then drew a sketch that was good enough to get him picked up.

Love_Mama
12-03-2003, 01:05 PM
On NOW CA.....MSMBC........9:00. When the suspect was at arraignment a woman in the audience yelled out in Spanish,,,,,,,“Tito.......please, for your mother's sake please tell them where the body is”

xxxxoo
mama

tamjo614
12-03-2003, 01:14 PM
Oh goodness, the makes my stomach hurt. Why isn't he telling where she is? Maybe she's still alive and someone else is holding her?

One other question. Does the river freeze over within 7 days? I thought someone said the river wasn't frozen when she went missing, but now they are drilling ice to look for her?

Yakwoman
12-03-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by tamjo614
One other question. Does the river freeze over within 7 days? I thought someone said the river wasn't frozen when she went missing, but now they are drilling ice to look for her?

The river is not completely frozen, as it has not been that cold here. There was some open water on the river at the time of Dru's abduction, but much of it is frozen over now (although the ice is not too thick at this point).

Yakwoman

starpatch
12-03-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Love_Mama
On NOW CA.....MSMBC........9:00. When the suspect was at arraignment a woman in the audience yelled out in Spanish,,,,,,,“Tito.......please, for your mother's sake please tell them where the body is”

xxxxoo
mama
Love Mama...I have been wondering why the perp has not told LE where Dru is.
Maybe he is just not talking after they read him his Miranda Rights....(too bad that he has any rights)
Maybe when he gets to Grand Forks he will be *pressured* to spill the beans.
Seems as though LE thinks she is still alive....oh, I sure hope so.

starpatch
12-03-2003, 01:24 PM
Ya know, I was reading this link and one yesterday from the same site, the irony is just amazing, the "personal ads" JUMP out at me, on the bottom left of the page, the messages and pictures these people post just make me want to scream, especially while reading about a tragedy such as what happened to Dru. Don't these people get it yet that they are playing with FIRE??!!! And why can't the web site leave that crap off there especially on an article about this type of thing!!

I'll get off my soap box now. LOL
I sure do agree with you on the personal ads...jeeeeeeeeeeeez they seem so very tacky.
:nono: :nono: :nono:
I wonder what these people are thinking...

:dontknow:

wwwxxyyzz
12-03-2003, 01:29 PM
Ok sleuthers here's my theory on the scene at her car:

She is walking to her car talking on her cell to her boyfriend. She's got the phone in one hand, purse over the shoulder and bags (from shopping) in the other. She gets to her car and puts the phone to her shoulder (you know still talking but holding it hands free) to unlock her passenger side door to put her gifts in that side. (I often put things in the passenger side first when I have a lot of packages.) At this point she would not be watching for anyone around her...she would be preoccupied. She probably felt some safety in talking with her boyfriend on the phone and then the safety of her small community. So as she is putting her bags in the car he comes up from behind and threatens her with a knife (past MO). So some things are in the car and she drops some things outside the car from shock. I think from what she said, "no, no, no, OK, OK, OK" that she initially was saying no as in please don't do this. Then when he pulled a knife she said OK as in ok I'll go please just don't hurt me. I think she complied with him because of the weapon. This would make it a very quiet abduction that made it easy to go completely unnoticed in a busy parking lot. He made her end the call at that point. This could have happened two ways he took the phone or he thought she dropped it. But maybe she didn't drop it. Maybe when she put her hands down she put the phone in a pocket of her coat. If she put the phone in her pocket then she could have tried later to call on it by putting her hands in her pockets and just pushing redial. This would be why it called back her boyfriend and not 911. The static could have been the sound of the phone being in a coat pocket and the sound of buttons being pushed her just pushing anything she could to try and get help. Could be why the phone was on too for them to get a signal off it.

Now as far as the cell phone there is another option. Many of us have the earpieces for our cell phone so that you can be hands free when using it. This would have made shopping a lot easier for her to do and it could have put a beverage in her hand that would have ended up being spilled in her car as she was attacked from behind.

Chances are he probably had parked right next to her too. So he could put her right in his car and whisk her away.

Either way there would really be no signs of a struggle and it would be quick and quiet...unfortunately.

This is my scenerio. It may or may not be accurate. It's just what I picture when I hear the circumstances.

My heart just breaks for Dru for having to go through this horrific ordeal...I'm still praying...

Kira

mindys
12-03-2003, 03:30 PM
Kira, great sleuthing, I like your theory. I'm going to pull the picture up of Dru's car in a sec, I think there is a package (plastic bag) showing in the passenger rear side.

His other victims said he originally asked them for directions. He probably did the same to her.

mindys
12-03-2003, 03:33 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tamjo614
[B]Oh goodness, the makes my stomach hurt. Why isn't he telling where she is? Maybe she's still alive and someone else is holding her?

This actually gives me hope she is alive (as of Monday) and he is waiting till he thinks she has passed.

Juliana
12-03-2003, 03:34 PM
I think she was really caught off guard. Seems like her boyfriend would have known that someone was asking for directions since he was talking to her at the time...

JMO

mindys
12-03-2003, 03:35 PM
Press briefing at 4:00 PM, help, what time zone? Its been a long couple of days!

http://www.grandforksgov.com/gfgov/home.nsf/5099d8cfb9e7957c86256d8400460f5f/a1603093324b7ec188256df1005da3da!OpenDocument

mindys
12-03-2003, 03:38 PM
Dru's car:

http://grandforksgov.com/Vehicle%20Info.htm

Yakwoman
12-03-2003, 03:49 PM
Press briefing at 4:00 PM, help, what time zone? Its been a long couple of days![

That would be Central Standard Time.

mindys
12-03-2003, 03:51 PM
Thank you.

5:00 EST

Yakwoman
12-03-2003, 04:20 PM
I had a discussion about this case at lunch today with a friend and we came up some interesting questions/ideas about why LE is being so tight-lipped about the investigation.

First of all, we KNOW that the kidnapping took place in North Dakota. If she is found not to be alive, then there will be a question as to where the murder took place - North Dakota or Minnesota. Neither state has the death penalty.

But, if this pig crossed a state line and then killed this sweet girl, would that then make it a FEDERAL case? If so, would the death penalty then apply?

Anyone with legal expertise want to address this??

starpatch
12-03-2003, 04:55 PM
That would be Central Standard Time.

Where do you think she is? I hope we learn something at the press conference today. It has been many days with no news of Dru.

Dru is on my mind all the time. The TV is doing a good job, giving us anything they learn.

Apparently the perp is not talking. Do you suppose he has an accomplice? Do you suppose she is locked in a nearby motel?
How come the perp had time to put up Xmas lights last Monday? Where was Dru when he did that?

Has the LE checked his car for evidence? I have a million questions.

Yakwoman
12-03-2003, 05:20 PM
Where do you think she is? I hope we learn something at the press conference today. It has been many days with no news of Dru.

My own personal opinion is that Dru was killed the night she disappeared. I truly hope this is not the case and she is still alive, but I doubt it. I do not think this scumbag had an accomplice.

He did not fight extradition to North Dakota, so I'm taking that as a good sign. I hope he will start cooperating with authorities now so her family can find some peace and closure. However, if there is an issue of this becoming a federal case and the death penalty might apply, I wonder if he's holding back information in order to make a deal for his life. However, I doubt he's that smart. (Just my opinion).

turbosleuthing
12-03-2003, 05:29 PM
I still want to speculate what type of bodily fluid LE was talking about. My first question is
1) was it bodily fluid or just fluid?
2) These are the only bodily fluids I can think of are.........blood, saliva, urine, and semen?

Anyones I missed and lets do some speculating of what it may be? Also if it was her bodily fluid then that would mean she was in the car at one point with the abductor

Was she in her car and he approached her or the car.........she kinda freaked out and locked her door but either forgot about the passenger side being opened or didn't have enough time to lock it........

starpatch
12-03-2003, 05:37 PM
*****My own personal opinion is that Dru was killed the night she disappeared. I truly hope this is not the case and she is still alive, but I doubt it. I do not think this scumbag had an accomplice.***

Yak woman....I have thought that she may have been done away with when the scumbag saw all of the publicity. So in order not to be found out, he did her in.
I certainly hope that is the case.
I have heard that the Feds will do the prosecuting, he broke Federal Law. I have also heard that he won't get a *deal* from the Feds. And, best of all it will be a death sentence.
I sure hope there is a bit of good news coming out of the Press Conf.
Has his car been checked out yet? Is there evidence that Dru was in his car?

starpatch
12-03-2003, 05:39 PM
*****My own personal opinion is that Dru was killed the night she disappeared. I truly hope this is not the case and she is still alive, but I doubt it. I do not think this scumbag had an accomplice.***

Yak woman....I have thought that she may have been done away with when the scumbag saw all of the publicity. So in order not to be found out, he did her in.
I certainly hope that is the case.
I have heard that the Feds will do the prosecuting, he broke Federal Law. I have also heard that he won't get a *deal* from the Feds. And, best of all it will be a death sentence.
I sure hope there is a bit of good news coming out of the Press Conf.
Has his car been checked out yet? Is there evidence that Dru was in his car?
Big OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOps..****.I certainly hope that is the case*** I meant to put a NOT in that sentence.
My BAD

Yakwoman
12-03-2003, 05:50 PM
[BIHas his car been checked out yet? Is there evidence that Dru was in his car? [/B]

The authorities haven't said squat about that. I'm hoping there will be some news at the press conference, which is coming up in a few minutes. I'm very intrigued by a statement in a news article that "Wednesday (today) would be an important day for the case." I wonder what LE knows that they haven't made public yet.

Yakwoman

starpatch
12-03-2003, 06:49 PM
The authorities haven't said squat about that. I'm hoping there will be some news at the press conference, which is coming up in a few minutes. I'm very intrigued by a statement in a news article that "Wednesday (today) would be an important day for the case." I wonder what LE knows that they haven't made public yet.

Yakwoman
Well, I watched the news conf....and...we learned nothing.
But it was very evident that Dru's dad was very upset, and, could not speak to the reporters. He looked all wore out. Her brother Sven spoke though and also a cousin.

I am feeling very discouraged, do you suppose he put her in some body of water?

The LE is keeping everything very close to the vest.

The LE is doing a good job, but, so many days have gone by....

Yakwoman
12-03-2003, 06:57 PM
I am feeling very discouraged, do you suppose he put her in some body of water?

That is my guess. They said they have searched 400 square miles and there has been no sign of her. I think she's in either the Red River or the Red Lake River. I hope they find her soon. As you said, her father is looking pretty tough. It must be hell for that family.

There seems to be a real lynch-mob mentality in the community since Rodriguez's arrest. People are just plain pissed off that this happened. A friend of mine suggested that LE forget about prosecuting him and just announce that they will be dropping him off downtown at a specific time so the public can have take care of him. He wouldn't last long, that's for sure.

Ghostwheel
12-03-2003, 06:59 PM
"A friend of mine suggested that LE forget about prosecuting him and just announce that they will be dropping him off downtown at a specific time so the public can have take care of him."

I LIKE it!:bigthumb:

starpatch
12-03-2003, 07:04 PM
*********A friend of mine suggested that LE forget about prosecuting him and just announce that they will be dropping him off downtown at a specific time so the public can have take care of him. He wouldn't last long, that's for sure.**********

That is what should have happened many years ago in Minnesota...If I was a cop I would have to be tied up, cause I would beat the H$ll out of him.

Ghostwheel
12-03-2003, 07:08 PM
I still want to speculate what type of bodily fluid LE was talking about. My first question is
2) These are the only bodily fluids I can think of are.........blood, saliva, urine, and semen?

Anyones I missed and lets do some speculating of what it may be? Also if it was her bodily fluid then that would mean she was in the car at one point with the abductor

Was she in her car and he approached her or the car.........she kinda freaked out and locked her door but either forgot about the passenger side being opened or didn't have enough time to lock it........
I suppose other body fluids might be tears, mucus (as from a cold), and whatever that fluid is that your body generates when you've scraped yourself, but don't bleed (it's clear). I didn't see the article about fluid found, but it could be just as likely to be water or a soda (if she'd been shopping, she could well have stopped for a snack and/or soda). Could also be oil (as in bath oil-present for herself or someone else), perfume, a broken present that contained fluid, etc. This time of year, it could have been a dozen things.

turbosleuthing
12-03-2003, 07:08 PM

???????:waitasec:

Casshew
12-03-2003, 07:17 PM
???????:waitasec:

Turbo.. you are getting really good at that! :bigthumb:

tamjo614
12-03-2003, 07:41 PM
Your theory makes great sense Kira!

mindys
12-03-2003, 08:23 PM

Yakwoman

My fear as I pondered this last night trying to sleep, was that today would be an important day because if they didn't find her today they would call off the official search. That hurt's. I don't know what is going on. Any news?

mindys
12-03-2003, 08:26 PM
That is my guess. They said they have searched 400 square miles and there has been no sign of her. I think she's in either the Red River or the Red Lake River. I hope they find her soon. As you said, her father is looking pretty tough. It must be hell for that family.

There seems to be a real lynch-mob mentality in the community since Rodriguez's arrest. People are just plain pissed off that this happened. A friend of mine suggested that LE forget about prosecuting him and just announce that they will be dropping him off downtown at a specific time so the public can have take care of him. He wouldn't last long, that's for sure.

I saw your Governor on Fox earlier. He too has had enough.

If you guys had the death penalty atleast there would be a bargaining chip with the Coward. As it is, he has nothing to gain by giving information.

medelilah
12-03-2003, 09:48 PM
I don't post often, But have been reading here since the Laci Peterson diappearance.
I agree with Kira as to her theory on how the kidnapping played out. I also believe she went first to the passenger side of her car to load packages, as she did so she was approached from behind.
Being startled she dropped her packages on the ground. I believe
the weapon must have been visable right away for her to have the response NO NO or Oh My God the last words her boyfriend heard her say. I believe she slipped the phone into her pocket for later use. I think she tried to call for help, maybe hitting the redail button when she had an opportunity. I also think she would have put up a fight at some point. I have trouble thinking she is in water. Because of the size element, onless he was able shove her out of the car into the water. I believe the kidnapper wanted to return to prison. I know that sounds strange. He knows he is not and never will be a productive member of society. Otherwise why not fight the extradiction. Well this is my opinion for what it's worth.

Zeff
12-04-2003, 06:24 AM

I firmly believe sex offenders should never be released.:boohoo:

Sorry to sound Taliban, but I think these predatory sex offenders should be taken out and shot !! And shoot them TWICE if their victim is a child

MissMisty
12-04-2003, 08:20 AM
Has anyone seen/heard Dru's mother? Are her parents divorced? (I don't mean any offense by asking that, I am just wondering because I have only seen the father.)
Thanks,
Misty

mindys
12-04-2003, 08:37 AM
Dru's Mom was on Fox yesterday morning. She is really pretty like Dru with short blonde hair, mid 40's, very classy looking lady, just devastated and having a hard time. I believe she and Dru's father are divorced and Mom had remarried. Her name is Linda Walker.

In addition, I found this:
http://www.brainerddispatch.com/stories/120303/new_1203030007.shtml

mindys
12-04-2003, 10:37 AM
Linda Walker, Mother of Dru, also on CNN this morning:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Central/12/04/missing.student/index.html

mindys
12-04-2003, 10:41 AM
http://www.finddru.com/index.html

There are a lot of pic's of Dru here, and if you check the 'news' section a picture of what her cell phone looks like, its a larger model, not as small as many out there.

mindys
12-04-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by MissMisty
Sasha,
As far as I know, the fluid has not positively been determined to be Dru's, but don't quote me...I could be wrong. As far as her whereabouts, I can't even venture a guess. I am holding out hope that Dru is alive because this creep has not killed before, BUT, perps do progress in their crimes and I doubt he would leave her alive to ID him. Tonight I feel sadder than ever about missing Dru...perhaps it's because I just watched the 48 Hours on Molly Bish. God bless you, Dru.
Misty

I agree, while I think the fluid is Dru's, they can't really say 100% until the results come back from the Serology lab.

sunny
12-04-2003, 11:28 AM
http://www.finddru.com/index.html

There are a lot of pic's of Dru here, and if you check the 'news' section a picture of what her cell phone looks like, its a larger model, not as small as many out there.

:bigthumb: Thanks for the link Mindys it is a nice website I signed up for there message board and sent a message to the family so sad. I tok note of her cell phone I have one like that if she were trying to call out at some point a little harder to conceal from perp. Unless sshe had a big pocket to put it in I think it was her trying to call her boyfriend.

KOOL LOOK
12-04-2003, 12:02 PM
Could he have abducted her for a sex ring? possibly turning her over to one in another state? like Mexico?

Too many missing persons in our country to never be found, too much pornography, no way do i believe most of the people in those torture, slave situations do it continously and voluntarily.

turbosleuthing
12-04-2003, 01:28 PM
The man accused of kidnapping a college student from a mall parking lot was talking with detectives Thursday in advance of his first court appearance in North Dakota, creating what the police chief described as a “window of opportunity” to solve the case. Law enforcement officers, meanwhile, were mounting a more-focused search to try to find Dru Sjodin.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/1000140.asp?vts=120420030859

MissMisty
12-04-2003, 02:26 PM
Mindys,
Thank you for that info on Dru's mom.
Misty

MissMisty
12-04-2003, 02:35 PM
Report on Fox news right now that the search for Dru is reaching a "critical stage" and that bad weather is expected.
Maybe I'm just really dense but how can they arrest someone for kidnapping when they don't know where the victim is? Either they are just going on the idea that he was in the parking lot (as seen on the surveillance camera) or they have something definite on this guy. What could they have? Obviously, they aren't going to reveal everything, but it amazes me that they have this guy in custody but no sign of Dru. Sorry for rambling, just trying to understand...
Misty

MissMisty
12-04-2003, 03:28 PM
Is everyone watching?!?!?!?!?

tamjo614
12-04-2003, 04:05 PM
MissMisty - If they saw him abduct her on the cameras, they know they have their man. They don't need her body to arrest him. All they need is probable cause.

prism
12-04-2003, 04:05 PM
ugh false alarm !
http://finddru.com/mb.htm
sorry

wwwxxyyzz
12-04-2003, 04:41 PM
http://www.msnbc.com/news/1000140.asp?0cv=CB10

GRAND FORKS, N.D., Dec. 4 — A judge on Thursday set bail at $5 million for a man accused of kidnapping a missing college student from a mall parking lot two weeks ago. The court appearance came after the police chief told NBC News that the suspect was talking to investigators, creating a “window of opportunity” to solve the baffling disappearance of Dru Sjodin.

mindys
12-04-2003, 05:42 PM
"The man accused of kidnapping a college student from a mall parking lot was talking with detectives Thursday in advance of his first court appearance in North Dakota, creating what the police chief described as a “window of opportunity” to solve the case."

What do they mean by "window of opportunity"?? When he left her she was still alive but injured?? Ugh!

maggief
12-04-2003, 05:53 PM
http://startribune.com/stories/462/4248944.html

...Defense attorney David Dusek said Rodriguez ``agreed that for his safety he should remain in custody.''

Afterwards, Dusek said he had been appointed to the case about two hours before the hearing. He said he told Rodriguez to stop talking with police until Rodriguez and Dusek could speak further.

(snip)

Juliana
12-04-2003, 06:00 PM
Defense attorney David Dusek... "said he told Rodriguez to stop talking with police until Rodriguez and Dusek could speak further."

What a guy! I wonder if he would give the same advise if some creep were to abduct his child?

JMO

mindys
12-04-2003, 06:24 PM
But I just saw the police chief live on CNN at the top of the hour and he seemed so confident, so hopeful, he said this perp is talking, his family is helping too. Like they are really close to finding her and it seems they think she is alive. He said they are close to a positive outcome. But they play with words. Is their positive outcome finding her body for burial or finding her alive?

How does Dru's family deal with this?? Seriously, I am not made of the same stuff they are.

Yak, does your local news give update's constantly. How about radio? Come back Yakwoman, you are our local connection and we are desperate for any news.

If anyone hears they found her, post it, who cares if we have multiple postings of the same news. Lots of people from the Laci Peterson forum are following this too. If there is a miracle, someone please put a thread about it there too.

Juliana
12-04-2003, 06:30 PM
What a miracle that would be, if she were found alive. I cannot imagine the joy. Lets all think good thoughts - I know I'll be praying for that miracle!

Edited to say: I hope that monster is not just toying with LE and the family, giving false hope. I don't think the authorities would go on TV with this info unless they had some basis for believing him...

Yakwoman
12-04-2003, 07:21 PM

Yak, does your local news give update's constantly. How about radio? Come back Yakwoman, you are our local connection and we are desperate for any news.

Local news does not break into programming to give us any updates - it's just what we get during the scheduled news broadcasts. CNN & FOX are camped out at the GF jail, so at this point in time, the national news coverage is better than local reporting.

Did anyone see the footage last night of Rodriguez being transfered to the GF County Jail? He had this hooded parka on, all zipped up with just his eyes & nose showing - he looked like Kenny on South Park! One of my friends knows someone who works at the corrections center and he said that it wasn't even Rodriguez! It was some other guy that had to be transfered to GF County and the media just swarmed all over this guy and filmed the whole thing. Rodriguez was actually transfered about an hour later without any fanfare or media attention. He says it wasn't planned that way, but that LE had a good laugh over the news media following the wrong guy.

Yakwoman

mindys
12-04-2003, 07:40 PM
From the MSNBC article turbo posted the link to above:

"Wednesday was the third day that volunteers had helped police and the 10th day of searching by Sven Sjodin, who planned to return home to California on Thursday to be with his wife, who is expecting the couple’s second child within two weeks.

My sister is my flesh and blood and she is one of my immediate concerns, but I also have another immediate concern,” Sven Sjodin said. “I know that I have a large contingent of friends who will continue to search until they find Dru.”

Blessings to Sven and his wife. I hope your WHOLE family can be together and start a wonderful new chapter in your lives.

MidnightMyst
12-04-2003, 07:42 PM
I read the MSNBC article turbo posted above. Sven, Dru's brother, has to now return home to California, he and his wife are going to have a new baby, due in two weeks. I pray this baby will be held by his Auntie Dru at Christmas.

I hope so too Mindys! This story has really caught my attention. I can't imagine going through this. :(

starpatch
12-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Julianna said***Edited to say: I hope that monster is not just toying with LE and the family, giving false hope. I don't think the authorities would go on TV with this info unless they had some basis for believing him...*****

I wonder what he has told LE....if he is talking...WHERE is Dru?

I have been in tears and been just heartsick, watching clips of the searchers, turning over things they find out on the prairies.

I continue to hold out hope, and send up prayers that she will be found alive.

johnny
12-04-2003, 09:03 PM
How much are they using search dogs?

Helicopters?

prism
12-04-2003, 09:12 PM
... He said they are close to a positive outcome. But they play with words. Is their positive outcome finding her body for burial or finding her alive?

I have to think that they are really looking at a positive "alive and well" type of outcome. There is no other "positive" outcome. Lets pray for it. Really, there are alot of possibilities still available. Dru's family would appreciate the positive power of prayer right now.

johnny
12-04-2003, 09:20 PM
This guy is not an outdoor type, he's out of shape has limited resources and has been in jail for the last twenty three years.

Most likely he had limited areas to put Dru....

Hwy 2 runs beside the river and there are multiple camp sites between Grand Forks, Foster and Crookston.

How much snow is on the ground?

How much in the snow drifts and ditches?

The river is very slow moving in spots and almost lake like between Crookston and Foster and Crookston has the Crookston Damn.

If he was unemployeed and went all the way to Grand Forks, took the time to stalk Dru then he probably had a location picked out where he was taking Dru.

Was her car parked in a covered parking garage?

How about where she lived, where the college is in relation from the mall?

Statistics say usually find the victims within a fifty mile radius so that would be between the mall to Crookston and draw a circle.

johnny
12-04-2003, 09:31 PM
Yakwoman, using South Park references? Is that somewhere in North Dakota......

Coffeesnob
12-04-2003, 09:43 PM
sorry this is the first time I have agreed ever with our Governor here in Minnesota.....death penalty for sex offenders.

And furthermore...they should bring some of their interrogation equipment from Guatonemo and interrogate this fat sloth and find out where the hell she is.

johnny
12-04-2003, 10:24 PM
What about the possibilty he had the phone on the second phone call and re-dialed the last # to see who she had been talking to when he abducted her? Maybe he dropped her North of the mall and her cell phone is on the side of the road as he was on his way back to Crookston.

He may have even kept a "souvenir" of Dru's

johnny
12-04-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Zeff
Sorry to sound Taliban, but I think these predatory sex offenders should be taken out and shot !! And shoot them TWICE if their victim is a child

No reason to be sorry!

Yakwoman
12-04-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by johnny
Yakwoman, using South Park references? Is that somewhere in North Dakota......

South Park is a show that has been running on Comedy Central for, like, 7 years. Geez, Johnny - have you been living in a cave or something?? ;)

Casshew
12-04-2003, 11:19 PM
South Park is a show that has been running on Comedy Central for, like, 7 years. Geez, Johnny - have you been living in a cave or something?? ;)

LOL... ummm Nashville I think :waitasec:

MissMisty
12-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by tamjo614
MissMisty - If they saw him abduct her on the cameras, they know they have their man. They don't need her body to arrest him. All they need is probable cause.

But, we don't know for a fact that they saw him abduct her, right?
Misty

MissMisty
12-04-2003, 11:25 PM
What about the possibilty he had the phone on the second phone call and re-dialed the last # to see who she had been talking to when he abducted her? Maybe he dropped her North of the mall and her cell phone is on the side of the road as he was on his way back to Crookston.

He may have even kept a "souvenir" of Dru's

Johnny,
I think that's possible. It absolutely gives me the chills to think that that call was placed by Dru. (So sad.) A little off the topic but does anyone know how far the place where that call came from is from where she was abducted?
Thanks,
Misty

mindys
12-04-2003, 11:29 PM
Miss Misty, if I recall right, the tower that transmitted the phone call was by a rest stop 7 miles away.

mindys
12-04-2003, 11:31 PM
But, we don't know for a fact that they saw him abduct her, right?
Misty

I BET they do. Her car was parked outside the JCPenney store. We are being watched everywhere by camera's we can't even see are there.

johnny
12-04-2003, 11:31 PM
Yakwoman.....Please no morree pie...no morree pie in my face.

starpatch
12-04-2003, 11:52 PM
Just watched the LE in G. F. NoDak on Greta.

Now that the creep has his own appointed Atty....why oh why can't they get the info about Dru out of him?

I wish they would bring back the rubber hoses for this

interagation.

I am sick of the perps having all their rights...

Where was Dru's right to live and not be kidnapped and GOD knows what else that pig did to her?

I am really losing patience...

It will be very cold in NoDak tonight...and snowy..maybe they should put the creep out in the snow and ice to sleep.

I think it is good that the family is acting with such dignity...me...??? I have no dignity left.

mindys
12-05-2003, 12:07 AM
Great Post Star. My hat is off to the family. I couldn't do it, no way, no how. But, the only, only way they have a chance is by holding back their anger, I sure would not want to be in the path when it finally blows!

starpatch
12-05-2003, 12:10 AM
I thought of how ..if I were in the positon of having a loved one in harms way....You simply HAVE to behave....and exhibit decorum.....

here on this board I feel free to go NUTZ.

Coffeesnob
12-05-2003, 12:13 AM
yakwoman.....do you mind if I ask youwhat city you live in.....
nice to see a fellow Minnesotan here.

starpatch
12-05-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Coffeesnob
yakwoman.....do you mind if I ask youwhat city you live in.....
nice to see a fellow Minnesotan here.

I am an ex-Minnesotan....I lived in Minnetonka Mills....12900 Cedar Lake Road.

went to HS in Hopkins...

I live in Oregon now...but will always be a Minnesotan...

My brother and his wife live in Plymouth...they are retired and live in a condo on Black Oaks Drive.

So it is nice for me to see fellow Minnesotans here, as well.:bigthumb:

sO...HERE'S TO YOU...

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

MissMisty
12-05-2003, 12:22 AM
Miss Misty, if I recall right, the tower that transmitted the phone call was by a rest stop 7 miles away.

Thanks, Mindys. Appreciated. I guess it should be assumed that that area has been searched.
Misty

MissMisty
12-05-2003, 12:25 AM
I agree about Dru's family. They seem classy and dignified. For some reason though the father tugs at my heartstrings the most. Seeing him sitting there throughout the bail hearing this morning was hard. I can imagine he probably wanted to grab this guy and shake him while yelling "Where is my daughter?!"
Misty

mindys
12-05-2003, 12:36 AM
Check this out:

http://www.news24houston.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=19932

Edited to add:

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/

starpatch
12-05-2003, 12:40 AM
Forum editorial: Keep sex predators behind bars
The Forum - 12/04/2003
Politicians are falling all over themselves this week in an effort to close the barn door after the horse has galloped off.

The fallout from the Dru Sjodin abduction has been knee-jerk and predictable. It’s even been extreme, with a visibly angry Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty calling for imposition of the death penalty for specific heinous crimes, a sanction which has not been used in Minnesota for nearly a century.

Sjodin, a University of North Dakota student, was abducted from a Grand Forks, N.D., shopping center parking lot on Nov. 22. Earlier this week Alfonso Rodriguez Jr., a man with a history of violent sexual crimes, was arrested in Crookston, Minn., and identified by authorities as the prime suspect in the abduction. The search for Sjodin was continuing.

The suspect’s criminal history has fueled public outrage. He had either been charged with or convicted of rape, assault and kidnapping. He was acquitted twice. Eventually he went to prison for a 1980 assault.

He was identified years ago as a dangerous sex offender who was likely to offend again. Yet, the judicial system -- constrained in part by legislative mandates -- put him back on the street after he’d served 23 years behind bars.

Now he’s been charged with kidnapping (thus far) in connection with the Sjodin abduction.

Is that what it takes to see the pattern? Another abduction? More tragedy?

That having been said, it must be stressed that Rodriguez is a suspect. He’s not been found guilty of anything regarding the Sjodin disappearance. His history might make a compelling case for conviction, but under the law, he’s paid for those past offenses.

And therein lies the problem facing communities in North Dakota and Minnesota. The system has failed the test of public safety. A sincere attempt to reintegrate so-called level 3 sex offenders into civil society looks to be a failure because it appears those most dangerous and habitual offenders cannot be fully rehabilitated.

There are provisions whereby county prosecutors can seek civil commitment for sex offenders after they have served prison sentences. Clay County’s Lisa Borgen, for example, has been aggressive in using the civil commitment option to keep sex offenders locked up in a state security hospital.

But the process is a patchwork. When Rodriguez was released from prison last spring he settled in Crookston. No civil commitment was sought by Polk County authorities. No one requested it, said Polk County Attorney Greg Widseth.

No one requested it? Given the serial nature of Rodriguez’ violent sex crimes, maybe Widseth should have requested it.

Not all sex offenders are destined to offend again. Most, in fact, do not. They pay the penalty for their crimes, return to society and rebuild their lives. But the most serious repeat offenders -- the level 3 criminals -- tend to be unrehabilitated predators, a classification which seems to fit Rodriguez. Changes must be made to better protect communities from such criminals. A stricter application of civil commitment provisions is a logical step. A universal standard for commitment that would apply in Clay County and Polk County and all counties makes sense.

It might mean more work for prosecutors, psychiatrists and corrections officials. But the public is demanding that sexual predators be removed from their neighborhoods. That’s not an unreasonable demand.

Forum editorials represent the opinion of Forum management and the newspaper’s Editorial Board

johnny
12-05-2003, 12:41 AM
The Grand Forks Herald reports Alfonso Rodriguez Jr. didn't show up for work at his construction job on November 22. That's the day Dru Sjodin went missing after leaving her job at an area mall.

According to the paper, when investigators showed up at Rodriguez's job site several days later, his boss said Rodriguez had said police were checking his car

So hed did have a job, and worked construction and probably knows about construction sites where workers aren't at after work and where his vehicle might not seem out of place.

mindys
12-05-2003, 12:41 AM
I agree about Dru's family. They seem classy and dignified. For some reason though the father tugs at my heartstrings the most. Seeing him sitting there throughout the bail hearing this morning was hard. I can imagine he probably wanted to grab this guy and shake him while yelling "Where is my daughter?!"
Misty

YES! I watched the Dad in the background and thought how different his life was just two weeks ago. And now he had to be sitting there breathing the same air as this guy and unable to do or say a thing!

What get's me is here we have another case where the best parenting couldn't save these young people. Dru (and Laci Peterson too), from such loving, supportive, classy families. Its just not right!

starpatch
12-05-2003, 12:45 AM
The Grand Forks Herald reports Alfonso Rodriguez Jr. didn't show up for work at his construction job on November 22. That's the day Dru Sjodin went missing after leaving her job at an area mall.

According to the paper, when investigators showed up at Rodriguez's job site several days later, his boss said Rodriguez had said police were checking his car

So hed did have a job, and worked construction and probably knows about construction sites where workers aren't at after work and where his vehicle might not seem out of place.

I was unaware that the creep worked....and, you are so right...he prolly scouted out some sites for his ugly deeds where he worked.

Why oh why can't they just plain make him talk??????

johnny
12-05-2003, 12:50 AM
Amazing that detail about him working has escaped the news until now!

What other vehicles did he have access to? What kind of work did he do? Concrete? Framing? Heavy Equipment operator? Dumpster, cleanup and trash hauling?

starpatch
12-05-2003, 12:58 AM
Amazing that detail about him working has escaped the news until now!

What other vehicles did he have access to? What kind of work did he do? Concrete? Framing? Heavy Equipment operator? Dumpster, cleanup and trash hauling?

Funny that we just found that out...any type of construction work would give him knowledge of ditches, water ways ect....he looks kinda like a dummy...but he was maybe smart enough to scout out areas where he could feel safe to do his ugly deeds.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

johnny
12-05-2003, 12:59 AM
Turcotte family wants same attention for their case

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/7408841.htm

How sad that every missing person is not treated serious!!

As I set here with my 20 month old Blue eyed Blonde Curly haired daughter what comfort to know that she might bring "National Attention" Hope the sarcasm is thick enough.

Most all of us are here reading and writing these posts because we either have a personal connection to someone who either is or was missing.

We too had some initial problems with attention etc. about Tabitha, yet I am over joyed that Dru has received so much attention and Pray and hope that it is enough to bring her home safely!!!

It is the responsibility of each and everyone of us to ensure that our children, grandchildren, brother's, sisters, friends and neighbors NEVER NEVER have to endure this HORRIFIC ordeal!!!!If there is a worse situation then I am not aware of it.

I will get off the soap box before the Burden of my load breaks it down!

God Bless each of you and thank you for continuing to return even when it hurts so damn much!!!

"Refuse to Accept the Unacceptable"

MissMisty
12-05-2003, 01:09 AM
That's heartbreaking for Russell Turcotte and his family. He deserved the exact same response as Dru or anyone else. That really burned me up reading that the dispatcher "chuckled" and said "wait a couple of days" when Russell's mother called to report him missing. Argh!
Misty

Ghostwheel
12-05-2003, 02:32 AM
The problem here is that Russell was not walking from a place he worked every day, and was not expected anywhere else at a specific time. The mother and missing son were in two separate states, which confuses matters. In Dru's case, there was a call that was cut off, and then another with static, not a normal conversation that ended properly. Russell hitchhiked a lot and no one knew exactly where he was at any given moment, not even what car he might be in. (He took foolish chances, IMO, by hitchhiking.) The logistics of the cases are completely different.

LE couldn't pin down that there might have been a high risk sex offender near Russell, because they didn't know where he disappeared (if he caught a ride, it could have been anywhere)

To call is a race issue is, once again, ridiculous. That is comparing apples and oranges.

MissMisty
12-05-2003, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Ghostwheel

To call is a race issue is, once again, ridiculous. That is comparing apples and oranges.

Who called it a race issue?
And yes, hitch hiking is very foolish. Still, Russell didn't deserve to be murdered and deserves to have his killer brought to justice, in my opinion.
Misty

johnny
12-05-2003, 02:41 AM
The Turcotte family implied "race" issue.

"Turcotte was American Indian"

MissMisty
12-05-2003, 02:43 AM
The Turcotte family implied "race" issue.

Thanks Johnny. I must have missed that. I wonder what race Russell was.
Misty