PDA

View Full Version : MS MS - Shondra May, 17, Pea Ridge-Forest County, Feb 1986

anneoakley63
07-09-2005, 12:42 AM
Shondra May was 17 years old when she went missing after leaving work at McDonald's in Forest, Mississippi. She was found on her 18th birthday, by hunters, in a creek. Her murder has never been solved. Does anyone have updated information on this? This happened in late 1985 or early 1986. I can't remember the exact date, but I was pregnant with my youngest child at the time and she is now 19. I moved away from there shortly after this happened and can't find any information on it. Several people were questioned but no one was ever arrested. I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

mysteriew
07-10-2005, 03:30 PM
Excellent post. Yes, you put it in the right place.
A lot of times with these older murders the only way you can find info is to go to the library or newpaper and look for archived news articles. Unless someone has started doing some kind of research on the case, the older ones won't be online, because they weren't put into computer that far back. For a fee I think sometimes the library or newspaper will do the search for you. It depends on their policies. You might also check the SSA death index to see if she is on it, to determine the date of death.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a255/mysteriew/Welcome%20to%20the%20group/welcomegroup.gif

lostfaith
07-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Excellent post. Yes, you put it in the right place.
A lot of times with these older murders the only way you can find info is to go to the library or newpaper and look for archived news articles. Unless someone has started doing some kind of research on the case, the older ones won't be online, because they weren't put into computer that far back. For a fee I think sometimes the library or newspaper will do the search for you. It depends on their policies. You might also check the SSA death index to see if she is on it, to determine the date of death.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a255/mysteriew/Welcome%20to%20the%20group/welcomegroup.gif

Mysteriew....Maybe a dumb question...but what is the SSA, and can you view it online for free? I am assuming it is Social Security, but what does the A stand for?

audrey77
07-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Mysteriew....Maybe a dumb question...but what is the SSA, and can you view it online for free? I am assuming it is Social Security, but what does the A stand for?

Social Security Administration

Here's the death index link: http://ssdi.genealogy.rootsweb.com/

lostfaith
07-10-2005, 09:24 PM
Social Security Administration

Here's the death index link: http://ssdi.genealogy.rootsweb.com/

Thank You!

anneoakley63
07-11-2005, 01:38 PM
Thank you for the information. This was a very sad case. There were a lot of "rumors" surrounding her death, but nothing definitive was ever shown. In small towns, it can sometimes be almost impossible to get anything done. She went to our church on several occasions and was a very nice girl. I'd love to see this case reopened.

Thank you again!

sharamie
08-05-2005, 03:47 PM
I have heard that this case is being investigated by a new person at the Mississippi Highway Patrol. I went to school with Shondra in Mississippi. I moved away from the area but always kept her and her family in my prayers and wondered what ever happened to this case. I moved back to MS and have lived here for 11 years now. I hope that this new person investigating this case will help her family find who committed this crime and bring the person/persons to justice; this will certainly help Shondra's family find some closure to her untimely death.

anneoakley63
08-08-2005, 02:57 PM
Thanks Sharamie!

This case has bothered me since it happened. There were so many rumors that it was hard to tell fact from fiction. I would love for them to find DNA that they could use to finally close this case, give her family some closure and allow her to rest peacefully. It was such a tragic loss. Please keep me updated.

Sunshinelady
08-20-2005, 06:56 AM
Shondra May was 17 years old when she went missing after leaving work at McDonald's in Forest, Mississippi. She was found on her 18th birthday, by hunters, in a creek. Her murder has never been solved. Does anyone have updated information on this? This happened in late 1985 or early 1986. I can't remember the exact date, but I was pregnant with my youngest child at the time and she is now 19. I moved away from there shortly after this happened and can't find any information on it. Several people were questioned but no one was ever arrested. I hope I'm posting this in the right place.
I'm from Mississippi and I rememember the case but vaguely. I was really young when this happened but I thought her name was Chandra May. You know what, I was just thinking about this case recently but was unable to find any info on it.

just1nce
10-03-2009, 01:10 PM
at the time of Shondras case.I offered my services for free because the case really bothered me.The judge put a gag order on this case.To this day I dont know why.Ive written to Unsolved mysteries and Americas Most Wanted many times over the years about MS May.But have never received a response.

jokie7348
10-05-2009, 08:33 AM
I was Shondra's school counselor when she disappeared. It was a horrible, tragic crime. I have kept a file on the news articles over the years, but that is all the info I could find. Those few articles can be obtained by a Google search.
Her murder has haunted me for 20+ years. I am now retired, and I would like to spend some time researching this case. Just1ce, if you are interested, email me.
It's a pleasure to finally get to post on Websleuths. I have been a lurker for a long time!

just1nce
10-06-2009, 11:28 PM
I was a private investigator.I offered my services at the time to Shondra May's Stepfather and mother.But got no response.The local judge put a gag order on the case.Since then I havent been able to find out anything after.This was a pure tragegy.A young girl being murdered in a small town like Forest and no one saw anything.Ive written to Unsolved mysteries and Americas Most Wanted several times over the years.But nether show picked up on the story.Something didnt seem right about this case.Either there was a coverup.Or the local PD didnt try hard enough

dreamweaver
10-07-2009, 06:37 AM
I could not find much online about Shondra May.
There are archived articles at the Scott Cty Library, but I was unable
to access them.
There is a reference to her on google, but no info when on that site.

I did email the local newspaper, hoping they would have some archived newspaper articles.

dreamweaver
10-07-2009, 06:52 AM
I was Shondra's school counselor when she disappeared. It was a horrible, tragic crime. I have kept a file on the news articles over the years, but that is all the info I could find. Those few articles can be obtained by a Google search.
Her murder has haunted me for 20+ years. I am now retired, and I would like to spend some time researching this case. Just1ce, if you are interested, email me.
It's a pleasure to finally get to post on Websleuths. I have been a lurker for a long time!
=============================================

Welcome jokie7348:
Is there any chance you could post those articles on WS?

Or scan the articles and then post?

I am trying to track down more information.

dreamweaver
10-07-2009, 07:04 AM
from google search:
''''''''''''''''''''JHLS CL Indexes - 1985-94 T (http://www.jhlibrary.com/reference/cl_indexes/t.htm)
Jury sees him in shackles; mistrial declared, 5/19/94, 4B; To be questioned in 1986 slaying of Shondra May, 2/11/94, 4B. Trest, Jerry Glenn SEE ALSO May, ...
www.jhlibrary.com/reference/cl_indexes/t.htm - Cached (http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:OmBmIeV_M5AJ:www.jhlibrary.com/reference/cl_indexes/t.htm+jerry+glenn+trest,+ms,+questioned&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us) - Similar

I could not access this information at jhlibrary.com

dreamweaver
10-07-2009, 07:16 AM
http://www.llf.lib.ms.us/LLF/Obits/Daily%20Leader%20Obits/DailyLeaderObits_M.pdf
Shonda May, date source Daily Leader 2/4/1986; date of death 2/27/1986 pages, 1 and 15.
This info listed 1/4 way down pdf page.

jokie7348
10-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Dreamweaver, you are fabulous! Yes, if you tell me how to post what I have, I will be glad to do it. It might take me awhile as I have recently moved and it will require going through some boxes.
Thanks for all you have already done to explore this case.

sunshine42
10-20-2009, 04:12 PM
I would love to hear more about this case too. I was only 18 when this terrible crime occurred, and it really bothered me to see a young girl around the same age as me, in my local area, murdered this way. It still bothers me. I am also unable to locate anything on this case on-line, or in the local newspapers on-line archives. I would love to see this case brought back up and investigated. That girl deserves justice.

jokie7348
12-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Dreamweaver,
I finally found the information I have on Shondra. Should I scan it in or summarize it and cite where it came from?

jokie7348
12-22-2009, 09:08 AM
I have sent the information I have to Dreamweaver to read and possibly give some pointers on where and how we can research. She may choose to post the information here, or I can do that if it's OK to post.
I have written emails to the Scott County newspaper and to the current Scott County sheriff. I haven't heard from either.
There is more information than just in Scott County however; since her body was found in Hinds County and the state police also worked on this case, I'm sure there are records there. I just don't know how to go about finding them.
Still determined to try to find Shondra's killer. I think about her every day.
Thanks for any help or suggestions anyone posts.

dreamweaver
12-23-2009, 05:55 PM
I was finally able to read over the archived newspaper articles that jokie7348 sent me.
Let me say that the police have been diligent in trying to find the murderer of Shondra for all these years.
Here is what I gleaned from the first reading.
Shondra was found naked and I hate to use the term they used, but it is what happened. She was 'hog tied.'
Two autopsies done.
But the second was done, it says, on a US Forest Service Rd.
First autopsy, no cause of death found. Second autopsy, cause of
death was strangulation.
There was no mention of sexual assault.
First questions:
How much forensic evidence was saved from the two autopsies?
Would there be any value to a third autopsy all these years later?
Was there any dna left to save after Shondra was in the water for that length of time?
Was Shondra sexually assaulted? I am presuming yes.
Any forensic value to how the knots were tied?

Shondra was abducted 75 yds from her home. The car door was ajar. And only her driver's license was missing.
One theory was that a 'blue light' car... someone pretending to be a police officer pulled her over. That would explain the driver's license not there.
Second questions:
Was her car stored? With the police or by the parents?
Is there a possibility of current forensic evidence being used on
the car?

There have been at least 3 suspects over the years.
Two of them seemed to be real possibilities. One passed a lie detector test.
A woman witness reported a similar incident, but then recanted and left town, moved to Texas.
Third questions:
Was her boy friend investigated and cleared?
Do the police know where the woman witness is now?
Are the two suspects still living?

I really think these articles should be posted and have asked one of the mods if we can do that.

More later.

jokie7348
12-25-2009, 11:40 AM
Thank you, Dreamweaver, for the articles summaries.
I will try to answer your questions, as far as I know:
Her body was in black plastic garbage bags, so I would guess there was some forensic evidence. I also remember that there was evidence of sexual assault. There was some speculation that her body had been kept in a refrigerated truck for a period of time. I believe she still had jewelry on.
I think this information might be in the Clarion Ledger (Jackson, MS) archives but I will have to wait until the next time I am in Jackson to look. The Eudora Welty Library has all the CL archives, but doesn't offer a paid online site. I will have to look through the microfilm unless there is someone who lives in MS in Jackson or close who could have a look. The information I sent you was from the Scott County Times from a paid site.
All of the forensics will probably be in Hinds County or Scott County. I have no idea how to get these. Do you know? I will pay for any information if you can tell me how to get it.Boyfriend, uncle, and father were investigated and cleared. I don't know about the other suspects. Shondra's mother, Genell May, has died but I think her father is still alive. I have looked on the SS death index, but I did not find Mrs. May or Shondra listed there.
I will do all I can to get all the material that is out there if you or other sleuthers will give me directions how to go about it.
Again, thanks so much for your help. I really respect your sleuthing abilities.

anneoakley63
01-16-2010, 05:24 PM
Ya'll are awesome! Great work on finding more info! I would love to see this case solved. There was a lot of speculation on this case regarding her father, but nothing was ever confirmed. The one who took and passed the lie detector test is very capable of something like this. But beause he DID pass the test, they no longer looked at him. I continue to look for information and answers. If I find anything I will post it. Thank you all for the work you are doing. Maybe something will catch the attention of the authorities and they will be able to give her the peace she so deserves.

anneoakley63
01-16-2010, 05:30 PM
Her body was in black plastic garbage bags, so I would guess there was some forensic evidence. I also remember that there was evidence of sexual assault. There was some speculation that her body had been kept in a refrigerated truck for a period of time. I believe she still had jewelry on.
I think this information might be in the Clarion Ledger (Jackson, MS) archives but I will have to wait until the next time I am in Jackson to look. The Eudora Welty Library has all the CL archives, but doesn't offer a paid online site. I will have to look through the microfilm unless there is someone who lives in MS in Jackson or close who could have a look. The information I sent you was from the Scott County Times from a paid site.
All of the forensics will probably be in Hinds County or Scott County. I have no idea how to get these. Do you know? I will pay for any information if you can tell me how to get it.Boyfriend, uncle, and father were investigated and cleared. I don't know about the other suspects. Shondra's mother, Genell May, has died but I think her father is still alive. I have looked on the SS death index, but I did not find Mrs. May or Shondra listed there.
I will do all I can to get all the material that is out there if you or other sleuthers will give me directions how to go about it.

If memory serves me correctly, I believe there was mention of her being kept in a van of some type and I think she was found floating in a creek by a couple of hunters. Jokie please correct me if I'm wrong.

dreamweaver
01-17-2010, 04:57 AM
I want to check on something, and will post as soon as I can.

anneoakley63
01-17-2010, 03:23 PM
http://s13.invisionfree.com/Ms_Missing_and_UID/ar/t166.htm

Jenni979
01-19-2010, 12:00 AM
I joined WebSleuths so that I could post on this topic... I read that one of the possible suspects may have gone to Texas...

Well, in 1989 a friend of mine (Amanda Goodman) was murdered in Brownwood, Texas. She was taken on her way home from school... She was 14 years old and the same day, her body was found on the banks of a local creek.

These 2 cases may not have anything to do with one another, but there was just something about Shondra's case that made me think of Amanda.

Amanda's case has, pretty much, gone cold. The Texas Rangers took over her case 2-3 years ago and promised to do more testing, but nothing has come of it, thus far.

trmay626
01-27-2010, 05:37 AM
If memory serves me correctly, I believe there was mention of her being kept in a van of some type and I think she was found floating in a creek by a couple of hunters. Jokie please correct me if I'm wrong.

There were rumors of a van but nothing was ever proven about a van. Her body was found in a creek in Bolton MS (between Vicksburg and Jackson) about 80 miles from her house. She was found in the creek close to a bridge on Champion Hill Road by a single man not a couple of hunters because we paid him a $5000.00 reward for finding Shondra. See, I have a special connection to this case, Shondra is my sister.

trmay626
01-27-2010, 05:52 AM
http://www.llf.lib.ms.us/LLF/Obits/Daily%20Leader%20Obits/DailyLeaderObits_M.pdf
Shonda May, date source Daily Leader 2/4/1986; date of death 2/27/1986 pages, 1 and 15.
This info listed 1/4 way down pdf page.

The date of Shondra's abduction was 2/4/1986 and her body was found on 2/26/1986 (her 18th birthday) but the authorities could never give us an acutal date of death (they said it was because of her being in the water) so to this very day the date of death on her grave marker is blank. The authorities think she had been in the water for sometime between 3 to 5 days and they say she was dead when she was put in the creek.

trmay626
01-27-2010, 06:47 AM

Jokie I beleive the forensics should still in Hinds county at the MHP Headquarters except for the jewlery that she was wearing when she was found was eventually turned back over to us and we still have it. The car was also turned back over to us but we no longer own it. Much of the forensic evidence was destroyed on scene because of the improper way the body was handled and shipped from the crime scene. There was a cold case investigator that had been assigned to the case from MHP but his name escapse me just now. (I will call my Dad and get the investigators name if you would like it).
My mother (Genell May) died on 2/14/94. My dad (Richard May) is still alive.
The former sheriff of Scott County is William Richardson and the current sheriff is Mike Lee. William would probably know more about the case as he worked on it directly after replacing the corrupt sheriff.
The editor of the Scott County Times (the local newspaper) at the time of Shondra's abduction was Sid Salter. He is now with the Clarion Ledger and if you contact him he may be able to help you with files from that paper.

trmay626
01-27-2010, 07:06 AM

Jokie You were school counselor at LA when Shondra was killed? I should know you. Are the initials J.B.?

nola
03-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Wow! I have searched for years on and off for an update on this case... I lived in MS when this happened. I thought that someone was arrested for the crime. I thought that he had confessed?...what I recall was that there was a young man that had an arrest record of using a blue light on his dashboard to pull young girls over at night along I-20 between Jackson and Meridian. Since this MO matched what was known about SM's car (wallet out, door open, car pulled to the side of the road) he was eventually (my recall was that it took several years for this guy to be considered) questioned in Shondra's murder. I can't recall his name and I moved out of state soon after. But have always wondered if he was brought to trial and the outcome. I guess the evidence eliminated this guy back then? Or is this the guy that the family thinks really did the crime?

It's been a long time -- I would love to see this family have justice!

nola
03-01-2010, 09:01 PM
There were rumors of a van but nothing was ever proven about a van. Her body was found in a creek in Bolton MS (between Vicksburg and Jackson) about 80 miles from her house. She was found in the creek close to a bridge on Champion Hill Road by a single man not a couple of hunters because we paid him a $5000.00 reward for finding Shondra. See, I have a special connection to this case, Shondra is my sister.

Mr May,
Your sister's murder has haunted me for years. I had thought that a suspect was charged, but never saw anything more over the years about the case. I am so sorry for your family's loss. You are very kind to share your insight with this forum.

I was in Sebastopol, MS back in 1989 or 1990 around Valentines Day when I first learned about Shondra. The staff at Stephen's Florist shared with me the details about her disappearance and murder -- the staff was very upset that day because they had received a phone call (a wired order) for flowers for your sister. Do you recall this incident? The staff was pretty shaken up and had called the then sheriff's office to report it. I had wondered over the years if this call had ever been traced and if the lead had gone anywhere?

Your sister's case has been in my thoughts so many times over the years --I so hope that this monster will be caught. It is extremely disappointing to learn that the crime scene evidence was not ample. I had been told that duct tape was used during the crime and left on her body. I had always hoped that finger prints or DNA would be captured in the adhesive.

trmay626
03-17-2010, 02:46 AM
nola,
I know the people at Stephen's Florist but I do not remember the flower incident. I will check into it when I get back home.

It is not know to the general public but several months after the murder we received a phone call in the early moring hours from a male individual who was apologizing for murdering Shondra. We were never able to trace the call or locate the person who called.

It is unknown where there was ample evidence at the crime scene or not. This is because the crime scene and evidence was mishandled. Protocol required that the body should have been wrapped in a clean cloth and placed in a disaster bag and shipped to the state crime lab for autopsy intact and in condition found. It was not done in this manner. The tape that bound the body was cut on scene (the tape was strapping tape not duct tape) and the body was cleaned up on scene before being shipped to the state crime lab for autopsy. We may not have gained any more evidence, but we will also never know if evidence was unintentionally destroyed with the "cleaning" of the body. It's not that the family thinks anyone was trying to destroy evidence. It was just that so many people were at the scene trying to help that didn't know how it needed to be handled.

nola
03-17-2010, 07:51 PM
I pray that this killer is serving time somewhere, for something, and is off the streets. For so many years - I had thought that a person of interest had been charged - I am so disappointed that is not the case.
When my family moved from MS in 1998, I had been under the impression that a man who had been arrested for using a blue light and impersonating an officer by making traffic stops on female drivers on or near I-20 was a prime suspect in Shondra's abduction and murder. Was this person cleared, or is it that the evidence is inconclusive? His MO seemed to fit with the facts.

I assume that LE must have explored the stalker theory. What I know about the case may be tainted by third party versions of events or from my poor recall. But if I do remember correctly, the abduction occurred on a rural road well away from busy traffic, but within a short distance to the family home. It was not a likely place for a random crime of opportunity, right? And Shondra wouldn't have stopped her car without good reason. She must have felt safe and justified to do so. ?! Could there have been a slight fender bender --someone hit her car from behind or stopped short and cause her to bump their vehicle?
Any paint transfer on her car? Even a slight ding that could have left trace evidence could be a big break.
Shondra had left work (McDonald's in Forest) just prior to being abducted. Were the employees questioned about any hanger ons lurking in the restaurant or parking lot that night or any night previous to this night? Anyone that was out of place?
Had she stopped for gas along her route home - could someone have targeted her and followed her from a more populated area?
There are certain cases that will stay with a person until solved...this is one of those for me. Is there any hope that LE has this case as an active file? I think it needs more attention- this person has more than likely committed a similar crime elsewhere. Getting LE agencies to compare MOs could improve the chances of solving this.
My prayers are with you and your family. Thank you again for commenting.

summer_breeze
03-17-2010, 10:33 PM
Moving this thread to the Cold Case forum for everyone!

anneoakley63
04-10-2010, 12:16 AM

Mr. May,

Thank you for coming here and updating us on this case. Your family has been in my thoughts for many years. I met Shondra when she visited the same church I attended. I keep hoping this case will be reopened and something will be found that will provide clues to the person responsible for this crime.

ms_writer
04-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Wow, I grew up very close to Bolton (in the nearby city of Clinton), and am extremely familiar with the area in which Shondra's remains were located -- yet I've never heard of this case. I was only 8 years old at the time, so I guess that's why.

The first thing that comes to mind for me is the Baker Creek/Champion Hill Road location. I feel like the killer must have been familiar with this area, because it's well off the beaten path from Hwy 80 and I-20 (the most direct routes from the Forest area). The reason I know about the area is because the fields around there were a frequent spot for us to go in high school to "stargaze" and get up to mischief. I guess the isolation we sought is the same isolation relied upon by this murderer; a scary thought. This place is incredibly rural, very dark at night, the houses are few, businesses are nonexistant. It's mostly just farmland, and not where someone unfamiliar with the area would likely find.

So . . . who in the Forest area also had working knowlege of rural western Hinds county? Someone with ties to agriculture there, or the petroleum industry (there are many oil wells/lines around there). Someone who had family/friends in the area, a hunting lease, or even someone who used to live nearby. Are there any POI who fit into these categories? Again, I truly feel the location of her remains was not a spot that was randomly stumbled upon by a perp who got in the car and headed west.

Another thought: This area is only the tiniest stone's throw away from the locations where three women's bodies were left by a serial killer in 1999. LE believes the killer is Ricky Franklin, and they think he's responsible for at least ten murders, but they do not have enough evidence to try him. I think Franklin is too young to have been responsible for Shondra's death, and she doesn't remotely fit his victim profile. However, if it's mere coincidence, it's an unsettling one.

trmay, I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope for you and your family to one day get closure.

jokie7348
08-17-2010, 09:29 PM
I am so glad to see that there is still interest in this case. After living in Florida for several years, I will be moving back to Mississippi in the fall. My plans are to begin checking out all the information I can find in an effort to generate interest in solving Shondra's murder.
T.. , I taught you, as well as Shondra and C , English. Then after JB retired I was the counselor in my first year, 1986, when Shondra was abducted. I sent you a PM with my identity. My love for all of you has continued through the years. All of you were such bright, shining examples of the future. It hurts me so much to know that you and your family have endured this pain for all these years. Additionally, I am so saddened by Donna's death. Please give C my sincere sympathy and know that all of you are in my prayers and thoughts daily.

jokie7348
09-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Checking in to see if anyone has posted. No, so I reread all of this thread once again. It feels like just yesterday that this happened. I never forget it, not even for one day. So I'm just giving a bump for Shondra today and hoping that something will break open for her case.
TRMay, I am also hoping to hear from you.
Justice for Shondra.

trmay626
09-03-2010, 04:00 PM
Mrs. JF, So good to hear from you and know that there are still people interested in Shondra's case. Donna was a terrible shock to us all and thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers. Maybe we can find her killer soon. There's nothing like living the same nightmare twice in one lifetime

wpp
09-04-2010, 10:57 AM
There were rumors of a van but nothing was ever proven about a van.

Mr May - I also read something about her possibly kept in a cold environment, or in a van, it made me think of the ice plant on 488 and across the road from there are abandoned refrigerated trailers that have been there as long as I can remember. Have they ever been looked at?
Also, do you know who the judge was that ordered the gag & why he ordered it? I always thought someone higher up or with connections had that ordered via the judge. Wasn't there a corrupt senator from that area?

jokie7348
09-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Mrs. JF, So good to hear from you and know that there are still people interested in Shondra's case. Donna was a terrible shock to us all and thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers. Maybe we can find her killer soon. There's nothing like living the same nightmare twice in one lifetime

Thank you for replying, T. It is so good to be in touch. I am thinking of you and C every day and pray that you can find peace. I think of Shondra every day, too; have all these years. I sent you another message. Let me know what you think.

trmay626
09-09-2010, 04:24 PM
wpp - I have heard the rumors of a cold environment before but there is no proof of it. Shondra was kept alive for 17 to 19 days but we don't know where or in what condition. We were told that much of the evidence was destroyed because of the time spent in the water and as I have stated above some of the evidence was lost because of the errors made at the scene. I do know where the ice plant that you are referring to is located but if I'm not mistaken wasn't it still in production at the time of Shondra's disappearance?
As to the gag order, I can't remember which judge issued the order but if memory serves correctly the MHP asked for the gag order. There was so many rumors and speculations flying around at the time and the investigators had some evidence that they didn't want leaked at the time. So, a gag order was placed on the case to supposedly slow down the press and the rumors (not that it worked very well). Hind sight is always 20/20 and now I'm not sure that this was the best action at the time. I'm also not sure if the gag order is still in effect or not. I do not know if there is a time frame on such things or not.
I don't remember a corrupt senator at the time but there was a corrupt sheriff in Scott county at the time and he caused a lot of "jurisdiction" problems for a while. There were also some other corrupt public officials that I would prefer not to discuss on this forum at this time.

wpp
09-13-2010, 07:54 PM
I had not previously heard that Shondra had been kept alive for sometime prior to her murder. I think you are right in that the ice plant was open at that time, however a really corrupt public official could have pulled strings for storage there & they may have never known what he was storing, especially if he were an avid hunter. Obviously just speculation... I agree with you though there were some corrupt public officials and yes like you I agree that this is not the forum for that discussion. I would message you but it appears that messages are public as well, so I'm not sure how to have that conversation.

Do you think there is any correlation between Shondra's murder & that of Donna?

trmay626
09-13-2010, 08:33 PM
wpp, No I do not think that there is any correlation between Shondra's murder and Donna's.

The sheriff's department was cleaned up a long time ago and I think it is still in good shape now and for the most part most of the public officials are fairly honest but there are still a couple here and there that are still in office that are not.

jokie7348
09-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Just checking in on Shondra. How I wish this terrible crime could be solved.
T.., did you read the comments on Topix or here about the poster who has given recent information to the MHP regarding her brother. I really don't mean to be insensitive regarding Shondra's case, but I thought you might recognize the name as I did. I wonder what your thoughts would be on this information. You can message me if you don't feel like replying here.

Actually, I think this info was posted on Donna's thread so you might read it there. I have asked for someone who knows how to bring those posts forward to Shondra's thread as I don't know how. But I see after looking here that they are still on Donna's thread.

trmay626
09-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Just checking in on Shondra. How I wish this terrible crime could be solved.
T.., did you read the comments on Topix or here about the poster who has given recent information to the MHP regarding her brother. I really don't mean to be insensitive regarding Shondra's case, but I thought you might recognize the name as I did. I wonder what your thoughts would be on this information. You can message me if you don't feel like replying here.

Actually, I think this info was posted on Donna's thread so you might read it there. I have asked for someone who knows how to bring those posts forward to Shondra's thread as I don't know how. But I see after looking here that they are still on Donna's thread.

Mrs. F, Yes I have read the comments on Topix. I know a good bit about this situation also. This originally came up about 3 years ago. There is a lot of internal tension in this family to say the least. Of course you know, I graduated with D, attended church with him and my daughter babysitted for them (D and his wife). The sister that is accusing D is questionable in my mind. But to put the issue to rest, D, has offered to voluntary take a polygraph and a DNA test. The investigator that W talked to looked into the allegations and found no grounds or evidence to sustain the allegations. So, the hunt goes on.

jokie7348
09-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Mrs. F, Yes I have read the comments on Topix. I know a good bit about this situation also. This originally came up about 3 years ago. There is a lot of internal tension in this family to say the least. Of course you know, I graduated with D, attended church with him and my daughter babysitted for them (D and his wife). The sister that is accusing D is questionable in my mind. But to put the issue to rest, D, has offered to voluntary take a polygraph and a DNA test. The investigator that W talked to looked into the allegations and found no grounds or evidence to sustain the allegations. So, the hunt goes on.

Thanks for that info, T. You have substantiated my thoughts on this item. I saw W on a regular basis at LA, knew of the turmoil in the family, knew of her personal problems. While D is a strange bird, I was suspicious of her allegations because I knew her so well. Yes, the hunt goes on. I am committed to finding who murdered Shondra!

vigilant
09-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Thanks for that info, T. You have substantiated my thoughts on this item. I saw W on a regular basis at LA, knew of the turmoil in the family, knew of her personal problems. While D is a strange bird, I was suspicious of her allegations because I knew her so well. Yes, the hunt goes on. I am committed to finding who murdered Shondra!

It is true that D volunteered to take a poly and supply DNA, but when it came time to do so, he lawyer’d up and refused to do either. Now granted he may still have nothing to hide, but if he had nothing to hide then why not go ahead like he’d originally agreed to do and supply both or one of what was requested……it is also true that W is questionable, but you have to also question why she would say such things about D if there was nothing to what she was saying…..while both are “hot-heads”, “strange birds” or however you want to call it, I have to stop and wonder what her motive would be to say such things if not because there was some truth to it……in my opinion, he is quite capable of doing such a heinous crime and she is quite capable of going crazy having kept his secret for all these years.....just my thoughts on the situation....Mr. May I mean you no disrespect since you say that he is your friend, but just know that he is still being considered in the matter......I hope and pray that the hunt does not go on for much longer!

jokie7348
09-17-2010, 07:14 PM
It is true that D volunteered to take a poly and supply DNA, but when it came time to do so, he lawyer’d up and refused to do either. Now granted he may still have nothing to hide, but if he had nothing to hide then why not go ahead like he’d originally agreed to do and supply both or one of what was requested……it is also true that W is questionable, but you have to also question why she would say such things about D if there was nothing to what she was saying…..while both are “hot-heads”, “strange birds” or however you want to call it, I have to stop and wonder what her motive would be to say such things if not because there was some truth to it……in my opinion, he is quite capable of doing such a heinous crime and she is quite capable of going crazy having kept his secret for all these years.....just my thoughts on the situation....Mr. May I mean you no disrespect since you say that he is your friend, but just know that he is still being considered in the matter......I hope and pray that the hunt does not go on for much longer!

Thanks for this update, Vigilant. You must have an inside track on Shondra's case. If D is indeed a POI, I will be extremely interested in any details you find in the future. It is good to know that there are so many people out there who are still persistently interested in solving this heinous murder.

nola
10-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Sorry if this has been revealed in prior posts, but was any DNA retrieved from SM's body that could be used to connect anyone to the crime?

jokie7348
10-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Sorry if this has been revealed in prior posts, but was any DNA retrieved from SM's body that could be used to connect anyone to the crime?

nola, I am almost sure there was DNA retrieved; however, in an earlier post, her brother, TRMay, said that much of the evidence was botched at the crime scene. If you look back aways, you will find his post.
At some point, T. may come back to this thread and you can discuss it with him. In light of the recent news regarding his SIL, I doubt it will be soon.

nola
10-13-2010, 09:30 PM
nola, I am almost sure there was DNA retrieved; however, in an earlier post, her brother, TRMay, said that much of the evidence was botched at the crime scene. If you look back aways, you will find his post.
At some point, T. may come back to this thread and you can discuss it with him. In light of the recent news regarding his SIL, I doubt it will be soon.

Wonder if the Leake County LE could help out the Scott County folks...what a difference LE makes in the resolution of any criminal case. I am assuming that Scott LE are still assigned to SM, right? Or would the Bolton LE ( is that Warren County?) also have their hand in the investigation...
so appreciate your local insight into both of these cases...thank you! One down, one still to go!

trmay626
10-14-2010, 03:49 PM
nola, There is DNA evidence and it has been compared against some possibe suspects but we haven't gotten a match as of yet.

As far as who is handling the case, it is the MBI. Scott county still has some of the files but the case is being spearheaded out of Jackson. There is a cold case investigator assigned to the case. Greg has some possible leads that he is going to assist the MBI with. If it makes any difference, one of the MBI investigators that helped solve Donna's murder is assisting with Shondra's case.

nola
10-14-2010, 06:48 PM
nola, There is DNA evidence and it has been compared against some possibe suspects but we haven't gotten a match as of yet.

As far as who is handling the case, it is the MBI. Scott county still has some of the files but the case is being spearheaded out of Jackson. There is a cold case investigator assigned to the case. Greg has some possible leads that he is going to assist the MBI with. If it makes any difference, one of the MBI investigators that helped solve Donna's murder is assisting with Shondra's case.

That is great news...and a blessing that Greg is also getting involved. If renewed interest and digging can occur for Shondra's case, we could actually see a good purpose come from this recent horrific event.

The rural vicinity in which Shondra was abducted always made me think that this was a local person. Similar to Donna's case - the area was not a convenient locale or busy street - therefore, it just doesn't seem like this was a random act. Has there ever been any speculation that someone hid in her car when she left the store (didn't she buy a Valentines card before heading home) that night? Maybe someone gained assess to her backseat and hid; an accomplice could have followed until she arrived at the rural area in front of her home? There just had to be a good reason for Shondra to have stopped her car that night before reaching the safety of her home...
I see three possibilities: #1. Forced to stop; #2. Stopped by someone she thought she could trust (police lights, broken down motorist); or #3. Lured into the feeling that she needed/had to stop (car accident).

Again T, thank you for sharing so much with this forum. Your family is always in my thoughts and justice for Shondra is something that I pray for daily.
God Bless You!!!

trmay626
10-18-2010, 04:38 PM
Nola – The three possibilities that you listed above have all been considered and any one of the three could have been what happened. You are correct in that she stopped at the local TG&Y and picked up her boyfriend a Valentines card. LE has the receipt with a time dated stamp as to when she checked out. As far as an accomplice in the backseat of her car, it would have been extremely difficult for someone to have hidden in the backseat and Shondra not seen them. She was driving a 1985 Isuzu I-Mark (compact car) and the back seat was not very large and is very easily seen from the front bucket seats.

rosario
10-20-2010, 10:15 AM
bumping for shondra and her family...lets keep this going you all are wonderful..many prayers go out to her family, it really seems like there is some tangible evidence to work with..god bless..

nola
10-22-2010, 09:34 PM
The strapping tape that was used in the crime...surely the tape was analyzed for identifying details. Any leads on who would have access to this sort of tape, the brand availability, etc. For some reason, I am thinking that I read at the time that there was a good bit of tape used --the person would have had to have purchased it somewhere or had it readily available to him. This killer has a family or works with people who may have suspected something - based on his use of this type of tape, someone could have noticed odd behavior or missed work...something.
Shondra's drivers license has never been found, correct? If the perp kept this as a souvenir someone may stumble across it one day - they may already have seen it, but didn't realize it's significance. I wonder if there is anyway to show what her license would have looked like to the public -- it could trigger someone's memory.

Just thinking out loud tonight and wanting a new lead to come to light for Shondra.

bessie
10-26-2010, 12:12 AM
bumping for Shondra

:+:MrTT:+:
11-20-2010, 05:31 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v63/Maverick1862/murder%20victims/ShondraMay.jpg
I don't know if you have been verified, because i have not looked.

But when i read you stating Shondra is your sister, i wanted to post now, and will go back and continue to read the postings here.

Just a couple of questions based on speculation from what i have read so far, especially from the link in post #27

1. Is it assumed, though i am only speculating of course, she was killed by a African American, or a black man from Africa?
Though i speculate a female may had had an involvement in this case in one avenue or the other?

2. And it is my speculation that the car was driving back to the home by the killer, or someone involved in the killing. I speculate only one killer, but not certain, but they drove the car back to the house, and parked it the 75 yards or so away and left it there. It was not Shondra that parked the car there, because she was not in it? Perhaps, there were two involved. One drove the car back and left it on the street close to where she lived, and the other followed. When parked, the one got out of Shondras car and got into the other that was following. I speculate only of course, they did this to distort what had actually happened, and planned to make it look like she was abducted as she was getting closer to her house.

The killer/killers did know her, knew of her etc. And this was not some random abduction by a stranger or serial killer.
This was something personal.

These are the only two questions i have for you now. I will try to add others perhaps after reading more on this thread, before the time to edit my posting is over. If to late to do so, i will quote this to continue or just post a new postings with this posting listed if need be.

I just felt it was important to post this now, and not wait until i have read everything.

afterthought.
Can you tell me, if any POI owned/ borrowed a 4 door vehicle, such as a sedan devile/seville
late 70s model. General motors i believe?

THE ABOVE ALL MOO AND SPECULATION ON MY PART.
NOTHING POSTED AS FACT UNLESS OTHERWISE KNOWN TO BE.

trmay626
12-01-2010, 08:59 PM
MrTT – 1. I never heard an assumption that Shondra was killed by an African American, or a black man from Africa. The law enforcement profile of the killer puts him white and somewhere in his late 20’s at the time of the murder if I remember right but of course a profile doesn’t necessarily prove anything.

2. The speculation that the car was brought back by the killer has been addressed in the past but as we have ran into many times there was no way to prove it or not. Two killers has been thought of in the past but it is generally accepted that there was only one killer because it is thought that with two killers maybe something would have broke or information leaked out because of two people. Also, there is only DNA evidence from one person. We lived out in the country and it was a dirt road that we lived on. It had rained the day of her disappearance and there were three small footprints in the mud by her car. They appeared to be approximately her size but this was never substantiated. There was only three prints and they seemed to just disappear into thin air after the last one.

I firmly believe that Shondra’s killer of killers knew her and knew where she lived and I don’t think that this was a random abduction. This was cold and calculated.

As an answer to your afterthought; I do not know of any POI that owned had or borrowed any 4 door GM sedan or deville/seville. The only thing about a vehicle that I remember hearing was the rumors about a van but as I’ve stated before these rumors were never proven.

I’m sorry that it took me so long to respond to your post but with the holidays, my work schedule and other family problems I’m just now getting you questions answered.

12-04-2010, 08:50 AM
MrTT – 1. I never heard an assumption that Shondra was killed by an African American, or a black man from Africa. The law enforcement profile of the killer puts him white and somewhere in his late 20’s at the time of the murder if I remember right but of course a profile doesn’t necessarily prove anything.

2. The speculation that the car was brought back by the killer has been addressed in the past but as we have ran into many times there was no way to prove it or not. Two killers has been thought of in the past but it is generally accepted that there was only one killer because it is thought that with two killers maybe something would have broke or information leaked out because of two people. Also, there is only DNA evidence from one person. We lived out in the country and it was a dirt road that we lived on. It had rained the day of her disappearance and there were three small footprints in the mud by her car. They appeared to be approximately her size but this was never substantiated. There was only three prints and they seemed to just disappear into thin air after the last one.

I firmly believe that Shondra’s killer of killers knew her and knew where she lived and I don’t think that this was a random abduction. This was cold and calculated.

As an answer to your afterthought; I do not know of any POI that owned had or borrowed any 4 door GM sedan or deville/seville. The only thing about a vehicle that I remember hearing was the rumors about a van but as I’ve stated before these rumors were never proven.

I’m sorry that it took me so long to respond to your post but with the holidays, my work schedule and other family problems I’m just now getting you questions answered.

For replying back.
And please, no apology necessary.

Theirs no pressure here on web-sleuths. You take your time and reply back if and when you decide to.

12-04-2010, 08:55 AM
at the time of Shondras case.I offered my services for free because the case really bothered me.The judge put a gag order on this case.To this day I dont know why.Ive written to Unsolved mysteries and Americas Most Wanted many times over the years about MS May.But have never received a response.

Was you able to do any investigation on the case?
And do you know if the gag order is still in place to this day?

trmay626
12-04-2010, 04:18 PM
MrTT - wpp asked about the gag order on 9/10/10 and I responded: As to the gag order, I can't remember which judge issued the order but if memory serves correctly the MHP asked for the gag order. There was so many rumors and speculations flying around at the time and the investigators had some evidence that they didn't want leaked at the time. So, a gag order was placed on the case to supposedly slow down the press and the rumors (not that it worked very well). Hind sight is always 20/20 and now I'm not sure that this was the best action at the time. I'm also not sure if the gag order is still in effect or not. I do not know if there is a time frame on such things or not.

I think if memory serves me correctly LE actually asked for the gag order but I don’t know if it is still in effect.

Cubby
12-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Dreamweaver, you are fabulous! Yes, if you tell me how to post what I have, I will be glad to do it. It might take me awhile as I have recently moved and it will require going through some boxes.
Thanks for all you have already done to explore this case.

I've just found this thread. Welcome to WS Jokie7348. To answer your question, newspaper articles can be scanned to an image hosting site such as photobucket or imageshack. (I prefer image shack as I sometimes see photobucket drops member accounts after 90 days or so of inactivity). You can then link the off site image hosting site here, or you can upload them to your computer and then add them here as attachments. The paperclip icon at the top of the posting area is for attachments.

Hope this helps and welcome to WS!

Cubby
12-04-2010, 07:16 PM
trmay626

While late, I too would like to welcome you to WS.
I'm terribly sorry it is under these circumstances and hope we are able to help provide some resolution to solving your sisters unsolved case.

Cubby

bessie
12-08-2010, 11:23 AM
I came here to bump the thread and was glad to see there have been recent comments.

Trmay626, thank you for taking the the time to share information with us. I am so sorry for all your family has endured.

Jokie, if you need help uploading documents or images, plese send me a PM. I'll be more than happy to assist you if I can.

jokie7348
12-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks Cubby and Bessie for offering your help to post the documents I have. Unfortunately, I have just moved and they are still packed up somewhere. Maybe I'll find them soon. Additionally, I had been living in Florida for four years, but recently moved back to Jackson, MS. I am hoping to visit the newspaper archives and possibly LE when I get settled. I am excited to be back in the area where I will have more freedom to sleuth.
Cubby, I have emailed my verification to Tricia. I hope this is all I need to do.
Thanks to all who have expressed an interest in Shondra's case. I have thought about her every day since this tragedy happened.

imajusticeseeker
12-30-2010, 12:12 AM
I will never forget this case. It was close to the beginning of my law enforcement career and we had the same last name. I have watched for years to see if anything ever turned up or if anyone was arrested. I hope the LEO's that are assigned now will be able to solve it. My condolences to you Mr. May and to your family.

trmay626
02-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Just bumping for Shondra. It was 25 years ago today that she came up missing. I so dislike the month of February.

jokie7348
02-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Just bumping for Shondra. It was 25 years ago today that she came up missing. I so dislike the month of February.

I was thinking about Shondra yesterday. It is still so real to me, and I know it must be hell for you. Still hoping that somehow her killer will be found. Love to you, T, and the whole family.

jjm19
04-20-2011, 11:54 PM

Hey T. You may not remember but we had a study hall together one year and sat at the same table. Mrs. JS was the teacher. She also taught senior math. You were 2 or 3 years ahead of me. I remember we discussed why you decided not to play varsity ball and we were in the chess club together too. About a week ago I just got curious and searched for Shondra. I have always thought her killer was found. I did not know that he/she/they were still out there. I remember when this happened. Everyone at LA didn't hardly speak for a week. After she was found the mood got worse. I remember seeing some of her classmates weeping openly and my heart sank even further. I never got to know Shondra personally but I will never forget how this tragedy changed the thoughts of several counties citizens and brought a new awareness to our small little central MS communities. I must apologize as my prayers have not been toward you and your family because I thought the case had been solved but my prayers will again go toward heaven that your sister may be avenged. I don't know how but if there is any thing I can help with let me know. I am new here and don't know how to send PMs but I can figure it out if you so choose to contact me. God be with you my old friend.

jokie7348
06-10-2011, 01:03 PM
bump bump bump for shondra!

nola
06-11-2011, 02:25 AM
SO wish there would be something new on this case!!!!

jokie7348
06-27-2011, 11:53 AM
There was one person I suspected in 1986 and was interviewed by the MBI. Wonder if he was cleared. TRMay, he is the father of one of Shondra's classmates. Is that hint enough for you to reply?

nola
06-27-2011, 05:30 PM
There was one person I suspected in 1986 and was interviewed by the MBI. Wonder if he was cleared. TRMay, he is the father of one of Shondra's classmates. Is that hint enough for you to reply?

Hey Jokie!
Always glad to see your posts on this site. Do you mind me asking what made you suspect this particular person back in '86?
Since I think I remember that you were a counselor at Shondra's high school, I would imagine that you would have unique access to both adult and youth perspective, rumor and suspicious behavior that occurred following this horrible event.
Hope you don't mind my question.
Nola

bessie
07-03-2011, 01:57 AM
It's good to see people posting for Shondra. I don't understand why this case has never been solved. Jokie, that's quite a provocative statement. Is there more you can share with us?

Just yesterday or the day before, a man was arrested for the murder of a little girl 54 years ago. So, it's never too late for justice. Nola, you seem to know a lot about this case. I'll be pretty busy this weekend, but over the next few days, I'm going to review the facts again. If we put our heads together, we just might come up with something that will help Shondra and her family.

trmay626
07-03-2011, 11:34 AM

Jokie - Not sure if I know who you are taking about. Maybe with a little more description?? Not sure, PM me with more info or email me, check your PMs for my email address.

jokie7348
07-22-2011, 02:03 PM
I think I made a bad move by posting my previous information. I really can't say any more. Everything I learned was confidential information given to me by a student. As far as I am concerned, it remains confidential. Sorry to pique your interest folks. I just reconsidered when I seriously thought about my code of ethics.

eileenhawkeye
07-23-2011, 12:59 AM
I have access to an online newspaper archive database through my college. I have found many articles about Shondra's case. I can't copy and paste the entire articles, but I can paraphrase info that hasn't been stated already.

1.) Shondra's body was found by an off-duty Jackson firefighter who was fishing
2.) Shondra's keys were in the ignition of her car
3.) Shondra's head had been struck by a heavy object
4.) 4 people had taken polygraph tests about Shondra's case (March '86)
5.) LE was investigating whether a 1966 van was connected to Shondra's case. It had been sold by a transient for $200 shortly before Shondra's case in Warren County. The transient said he was going to find work in Vicksburg but left town after Shondra's body was found. There was a pillow, and a mattress with sheets and blankets inside the van. (March '86)
6.) In August 1992, LE questioned Rubin R. Weeks about Shondra's case. He had been questioned earlier on in the case, but ruled out. The renewed interest in Weeks was due to him being arrested for the rape of a motel clerk. Weeks followed the woman from her job, and flagged her down on a rural road.
7.) William Kenneth McLain was also questioned in Shondra's case because he had pretended to be LE when he stopped a woman and sexually assaulted her (1993). A 1994 article said that McLain was a suspect in Shondra's murder.
8.) Shondra left McDonald's at 7:40. She brought the V-Day card at 7:45. Her family found her car at 8:30
9.) A 1998 article said the police were looking at DNA testing as a way to solve the case

Source: Access World News

trmay626
11-02-2011, 09:16 PM
The MBI supposedly has a new lead and a new angle on the case and they are investigating it. Keep you fingers crossed

bessie
11-03-2011, 12:18 AM
Thank you so much for the update, TRMay. I'm always checking for news on this case. Please keep us posted. :crossfingers:

scriptgirl
02-28-2012, 06:54 PM
Weird question-were there drag marks leading from Shondra's car?

trmay626
03-01-2012, 09:21 PM
No, there were no drag marks. There were three small footprints leading away from the driver’s side of the car and going toward the back of the car and then they just disappeared. It was always assumed that the footprints belonged her.

anneoakley63
04-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Just posting to keep this thread alive and see if there are any new updates on the case.

trmay626
08-04-2012, 12:11 PM
A new article about Shondra has been written by a Mr. Wayne Brown. There is no new evidence reveled in the article but as long as people keep writing and probing and taking an interest in the case it will never be forgotten and maybe one day it will be solved. To find the article by Wayne Brown just Google Shondra May Mystery.

nola
08-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Thanks Tim for the heads up about the article. This is the most detailed account of Shondra's case that I have ever read. Here is the link.
http://waynebrown.hubpages.com/hub/THE-SHONDRA-MAY-MYSTERY

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6941941_f120.jpg

bessie
08-05-2012, 03:40 AM
Thanks so much for letting us know about this new article, trmay, and kudos to Mr. Brown. He's amassed a great deal of information.

scriptgirl
09-19-2012, 07:54 PM
that poor girl-kept alive for that long-but WHERE?

jokie7348
01-25-2013, 01:32 PM
It's been awhile since I have visited Shondra's thread, but I am happy to report that there is active investigation still going on in this case. There are two determined investigators who will solve this case. How am I so sure? They interviewed me this morning at the MBI headquarters. I was able to tell them everything I knew and thought. They were able to share with me that they are hot on the trail of several persons of interest. They are actively interviewing many people regarding this case. I believe it is almost over.

bessie
01-25-2013, 09:19 PM
Nice to see you, jokie. I looked at this thread again just 2-3 nights ago and searched the web for new information. I didn't find any news in MSM, but comments I read here and there made it sound like Shondra's case was moving forward. So good to know! Thanks for updating us.

traacker13
01-26-2013, 08:05 AM
I thought this case had some similarities to Cynthia Davis's case
from Huntsville, Alabama. Does anyone think these might be related?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

traacker13
01-26-2013, 08:05 AM
sorry cant figure out how to post a link to the thread.

jokie7348
01-26-2013, 10:52 AM
Thanks for your comments Bessie and Traacker13. I have had many ideas over the years and even heard certain names. These people are not being actively investigated at this time. This crime concerns a small number of people who actually knew Shondra. To me, it fits. Hopefully her death will have justice soon. Keep on checking.

jokie7348
01-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Traccker, why don't you post the details of the Cynthia Davis crime. I would be very interested in reading about her case.

jokie7348
01-26-2013, 10:55 AM
Bessie, I would really be interested in knowing about the comments you referred to. Was it another web forum? Please let me know what you have found.

traacker13
01-26-2013, 12:01 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/03/08/cynthia-lynn-davis-alabama-cold-case_n_1332157.html

Here is a news article about her. I guess the similarities to me were her age, appearance, job (she was a waitress) and the location she was found.

traacker13
01-26-2013, 12:09 PM
The manner in which both were found is also something of interest. Both were wrapped in plastic.

jokie7348
01-26-2013, 12:39 PM
Thanks Traacker. The cases do seem to have some similarities. Keep in touch.

jokie7348
01-26-2013, 03:42 PM
http://http://waynebrown.hubpages.com/hub/THE-SHONDRA-MAY-MYSTERY

01-26-2013, 06:27 PM
http://http://waynebrown.hubpages.com/hub/THE-SHONDRA-MAY-MYSTERY

Would you fix your link please. Thank you.

jokie7348
01-26-2013, 08:48 PM
Try: http://waynebrown.hubpages.com/shondra may mystery

That's the best I can do. If you google "Shondra May mystery" the link will come up if this one doesn't work for you.

Sorry about that.

01-26-2013, 09:26 PM
Try: http://waynebrown.hubpages.com/shondra may mystery

That's the best I can do. If you google "Shondra May mystery" the link will come up if this one doesn't work for you.

Sorry about that.
Thank you.

http://waynebrown.hubpages.com/hub/THE-SHONDRA-MAY-MYSTERY

http://waynebrown.hubpages.com/hub/SHONDRAS-NIGHT

jokie7348
01-26-2013, 09:48 PM
Thanks, Mr. TT

bessie
01-27-2013, 04:32 AM
Bessie, I would really be interested in knowing about the comments you referred to. Was it another web forum? Please let me know what you have found.
I didn't bookmark them, but I'll try to find them again. It's probably nothing you haven't heard, nothing real specific. Just enough to let me know Shondra's case is warming up. I'll take another look and post links to anything linkable.

jokie7348
02-02-2013, 11:27 AM
Wow! It has really been quiet in this thread. Just a bump for Shondra back to the start of the threads.
I still have faith that arrests are coming.....the MBI just needs a little more info. If you have anything to say, let them know.

jokie7348
02-14-2013, 11:08 AM
Been out of town visiting my grandchildren. I am disappointed that nothing has been posted since my last bump. I do have info that the MBI is looking hard at DC, TC, DW, and possibly DG. Tim, I'm sure you know of whom I am speaking. Please, please, please let this be concluded soon!

jokie7348
02-26-2013, 03:16 PM
Happy Birthday, Shondra! I think of you every day.

zuli
03-19-2013, 12:01 PM
I thought this case had some similarities to Cynthia Davis's case
from Huntsville, Alabama. Does anyone think these might be related?

Thank you Traacker,

Why not ?
"Cynthia Davis' (18yo) remains were discovered by a hunter in some woods near Indian Creek Road on October 16, 1997. She was found wrapped in plastic."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57392570-504083/ala-police-id-remains-found-in-1997-as-cynthia-davis-ask-for-help-solving-her-murder/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/08/cynthia-lynn-davis-alabama-cold-case_n_1332157.html

jokie7348
03-28-2013, 05:02 PM
Just a bump for Shondra! Please find something soon which can solve this case!

neverletgo
04-26-2013, 04:29 PM
:bump: for Shondra. :please:

Unsolved Murder Spotlight: Shondra May (http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/blog/article/unsolved-murder-spotlight-shondra-may/index.html)

jokie7348
04-30-2013, 11:27 AM
Bumping for Shondra today! Love and miss you!

jokie7348
05-25-2013, 05:18 PM
Just a quick check to see if anything has been posted. Bumping for Shondra.

traacker13
05-25-2013, 11:21 PM
Hi jokie - Do you know if LE ever compared Cynthia's case to Shondra's?

jokie7348
10-13-2013, 12:39 PM
I don't know......don't think so though. They are convinced that the murderer is a local, possibly two. They are still gathering info last time I talked to the MBI.

jokie7348
10-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Bump for Shondra....come on law enforcement and solve this case!

bessie
10-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Hi, Jokie! Good to hear from you. I continue to check on this case expecting to read good news.

JWD
12-02-2013, 04:46 AM
Jokie & trMay626,

I really appreciate you sharing your time and your insider information with us.

Do either of you (or any Mississippi posters) know:

- If MBI is investigating WKM again?
- What WKM's Date of Birth is?

I know from newspaper reports that he was born about 1959. I've found a man in another state who looks like the one newspaper picture I've seen of WKM. The man has been arrested twice, once for DUI - alcohol, and once for "Battery." No indication of whether he attacked a woman, or got into a bar brawl with another man, or whatever. The arrest record gives the man's exact DOB. I want to be positive he's the right WKM before posting a link here.

Thanks,
JWD

Machinehead
01-04-2014, 06:01 PM
Who is DW???

Machinehead
01-05-2014, 02:31 AM
I'm thinking 'they have means, motive, and opportunity for a few.

JusticeBound687
01-27-2014, 03:42 PM
Anyone Still live in the Area?

Machinehead
01-29-2014, 07:36 PM
The battle of Champion Hill is studied and visited by Boy Scouts. I know 3 of new suspects are boy scouts.

JusticeBound687
01-29-2014, 07:58 PM
That's a little vague. Are you from the area?

JusticeBound687
01-30-2014, 09:20 AM
In just a few days this case will reach 28 years unsolved. Gathering from what I have read,the original crime scene was not preserved. Family moved the vehicle prior to Law Enforcements arrival. Law Enforcement followed SOP (looking at the family and boyfriend)
And speculation from the community within, producing false leads.
22 days later Law Enforcement in Hinds County dropped the ball, mishandling Ms. Mays body, at the scene of Baker Creek.

JusticeBound687
01-30-2014, 12:17 PM
Has This Man Been Looked at as a Suspect?
This man has ties within the community Cartage,MS/Hattiesburg,MS/ Collins,MS
Related Family
Jenkins/Jefferies/Strahan

Two Weeks ago I learned of the 1986 Abduction and Murder of Shondra May from The Shondra May Mystery by Wayne Brown. This Case immediately made me think of Case on ffrf.org I read a month or so earlier; "Betrayal of Trust: Clergy Abuse of Children" by Annie Laurie Gaylor. In the Book it references a case and that occurred in Hattiesburg, MS on July 9,1986:

The grandmother of a minister who abducted an 18 year old woman for 24 days and raped and molested her, could only comment, "If you had seen him when . . . he preached, his face was just shining like an angel." This diabolical crime involved kidnapping Maria C. Smith from a shopping mail in Hattiesburg, Mississippi on July 9, beating her with belts and raping her, and imprisoning her bound-and-gagged in the trunk of a car for what a judge later termed a 24-day reign of "terrorism." On August 2, the assailant Rev. Karl Strahan and his father purported to discover the missing teenager, and were touted as heroes. Two days later police realized Strahan was the abductor. He had threatened Smith's life if she had not backed up his story. On February 6, 1987 he pleaded guilty to kidnapping and armed robbery in Forrest County, where he received a 25-year concurrent sentence. The same day in bordering Covington County where he had taken his victim, Strahan pleaded guilty to rape and sexual battery. He received a sentence of life imprisonment on the rape charges and 30 years on sexual battery to run consecutively. Strahan was a licensed Mississippi Baptist minister. (Sources: Jackson Mississippi Daily, 8/6/86; 8/8/86; Hattiesburg American, 2/6/87)

Could Only Find limited information on this case but managed to find
Southern Herald Newspaper: Hattiesburg Girl Missing http://sth.stparchive.com/Archive/STH/STH07241986P06.php
Southern Hearld Newspaper: Helen Comments: article says she was found in a shack and was locked in a freezer
http://sth.stparchive.com/Archive/STH/STH08071986P01.php

Karl Strahan D.O.B. 12/15/1960 - 25yrs old at the Time of Crime
Crime occurred 5 months after Shondra May.

Karl Strahan was located in Jackson MS,
HRS (Karl's Father) had a place in Covington County, Collins, MS and also in Forest County Hattiesburg, MS
AS (Karls Uncle)
Look up HR under comments for Muddy Mississippi Justice and also Comments for the article Unsolved Murder Spotlight She Mentions Karl Strahan I found these on Saturday 1/25/14 I learned she is in a civil union with a M Jefferies(strahan Cousin)?. She posted on two different articles the same day this woman knows the family and knows something.

Look at <modsnip> Collins, MS owned by Karls Father H. Is that where Maria was held possibly Shrondra? <modsnip>

Machinehead
01-30-2014, 09:59 PM
The Modus operandi does not match the May case. And there are irregularities in every article published in May case.

Machinehead
01-31-2014, 10:24 PM
But not beaten with belt. That's mo. Look it up.

Machinehead
01-31-2014, 10:26 PM
Plus Strahan has DNA on file. No match. Next!?!?

JusticeBound687
01-31-2014, 11:47 PM
But not beaten with belt. That's mo. Look it up.

"In examining Shondra’s remains, the medical examiner found that she had been bound and gagged with a packing tape common used in poultry-raising and process facilities common to the region in which she lived. The initial autopsy did not yield any conclusive results and a second autopsy by a different source was ordered. That examination found that the cause of death was strangulation"
(The Shondra May Mystery, by Wayne Brown)

Belt Maybe? I didn't list strangulation in my reply of M.O. similarities between the two woman, because Maria Smith was not.
Both women were kidnapped,raped,bound and gagged and held captive.

Machinehead
01-31-2014, 11:52 PM
Maybe. However one of new suspects family had chicken farm.

bessie
02-01-2014, 01:37 AM
Please be sure to include links to quoted sources.

http://ffrf.org/legacy/books/betrayal/

Thanks.

JusticeBound687
02-12-2014, 01:01 AM
Karl Strahan also worked on a chicken farm in Collins,MS.

nola
02-12-2014, 01:17 PM
Thinking about Shondra today...
My search for any update lead me to this 1986 article about the case.
http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1986/Small-Town-Pulls-Together-In-Wake-Of-Teen-s-Murder/id-385304e1b385cc358fc447a3ab799dff
Hoping to hear an update soon.

Quill
02-12-2014, 01:41 PM
Karl Strahan also worked on a chicken farm in Collins,MS.

That is interesting. So many links there. But, her home area is surrounded by chicken farmers, as well.

I'm fairly new to WS and this is my first posting to this thread. I was a freshman in college when Shondra went missing, making me just a little bit older than she was. I lived in the same county she was found in. I remember being scared and horrified for her and her family. As the years have passed I've never forgotten Shondra and have always hoped that her murderer would be found and removed from society. It's scary to think he might live among us. Friends of mine that I've met over the years who were in her class are still visibly shaken by the mention of her name. I only ever asked about her once and I'll never ask again after seeing the pain it dredged up.

bessie
02-13-2014, 03:36 AM
I'm going to list the links we've collected so far. It's not much, unfortunately.

Small Town Pulls Together In Wake Of Teen's Murder (http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1986/Small-Town-Pulls-Together-In-Wake-Of-Teen-s-Murder/id-385304e1b385cc358fc447a3ab799dff)
MICHELLE PERRON , Associated Press
Mar. 11, 1986 2:28 PM ET

Weeks returned to state without being charged in death (http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=5K0fAAAAIBAJ&sjid=09YEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4333%2C5685049)
The Southeast Missourian
August 16, 1992

Article about the murder of Chanda Fehler (http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=zIIfAAAAIBAJ&sjid=86UEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6906%2C299305)
(references Shondra May and Wm McLain)
The Tuscaloosa News
March 2, 1993

Third Sheriff Revisits Unsolved May Case (http://s13.invisionfree.com/Ms_Missing_and_UID/ar/t166.htm)
Scott County Times
By CHRIS ALLEN BAKER, News Editor
Wednesday, January 21, 2009 10:21 AM CST

Unsolved Murder Spotlight: Shondra May (http://www.crimelibrary.com/blog/article/unsolved-murder-spotlight-shondra-may/index.html)
tru-tv Crime Library
April 26, 2013 10:45 AM By Nastacia Leshchinskaya

Shondra's Night (http://waynebrown.hubpages.com/hub/SHONDRAS-NIGHT)
by Wayne Brown -- Hubpages
August 2012

The Shondra May Mystery (http://waynebrown.hubpages.com/hub/The-Shondra-May-Mystery)
by Wayne Brown -- Hubpages
last updated February 6, 2014

Quill
02-13-2014, 01:05 PM
In going back and reading some of the above posts, I'd like to clarify, just in case, that Forrest County, MS is a different location/area/region of the state than the Forest, MS where SM worked. Forrest County, is in south MS better known for the city of Hattiesburg. Forest, MS is in Scott County which is considered to be in the east central region of the state. The two are about 87 miles apart. Some may have already been aware of the difference, if so, carry on. It is, however, something that has been to known to confuse those who are unfamiliar with these areas. Just my two cents.

JusticeBound687
02-20-2014, 01:37 PM
In going back and reading some of the above posts, I'd like to clarify, just in case, that Forrest County, MS is a different location/area/region of the state than the Forest, MS where SM worked. Forrest County, is in south MS better known for the city of Hattiesburg. Forest, MS is in Scott County which is considered to be in the east central region of the state. The two are about 87 miles apart. Some may have already been aware of the difference, if so, carry on. It is, however, something that has been to known to confuse those who are unfamiliar with these areas. Just my two cents.
I think the distance and country setting
are contributing factors and relevant.
It is 70.4 Miles from Scott County,Forest,MS
To Hinds County, Bolton,MS.

Quill
02-20-2014, 05:03 PM
I think the distance and country setting
are contributing factors and relevant.
It is 70.4 Miles from Scott County,Forest,MS
To Hinds County, Bolton,MS.

I'm sure you are right. I am local and I know/have traveled all of these areas many times. I'm very familiar with all of these areas. I actually live very near the interstate that would connect Scott Co to Bolton. People in these areas travel those roads on a regular basis. The city of Jackson (in Hinds Co) sits between Scott County and Bolton, which is very near to Warren County, which is the county that Vicksburg is in, right on the banks of the Mississippi. It's a clear path across the central part of the state along I-20 from Forest to Bolton. That is very relevant.

But Hattiesburg, which is in Forrest County is not considered local to either of these areas. It's about two hours south traveling the roads which are not interstate hwys. I was trying to point out that people who are not local often think these two areas are one and the same, or that they are in close proximity, which they are not.

Being a more rural state, people tend to travel to someplace else to do they're main shopping, such as Christmas, or serious medical care. It depends where you live. If someone in Forest, Scott Co that I know said to me, Hey, I'm going to Jackson today, it would be pretty normal. If they said hey, we're going to Hattiesburg, Forrest Co, I'd ask why. JMO being local.

JusticeBound687
02-20-2014, 07:37 PM
I'm sure you are right. I am local and I know/have traveled all of these areas many times. I'm very familiar with all of these areas. I actually live very near the interstate that would connect Scott Co to Bolton. People in these areas travel those roads on a regular basis. The city of Jackson (in Hinds Co) sits between Scott County and Bolton, which is very near to Warren County, which is the county that Vicksburg is in, right on the banks of the Mississippi. It's a clear path across the central part of the state along I-20 from Forest to Bolton. That is very relevant.

But Hattiesburg, which is in Forrest County is not considered local to either of these areas. It's about two hours south traveling the roads which are not interstate hwys. I was trying to point out that people who are not local often think these two areas are one and the same, or that they are in close proximity, which they are not

Being a more rural state, people tend to travel to someplace else to do they're main shopping, such as Christmas, or serious medical care. It depends where you live. If someone in Forest, Scott Co that I know said to me, Hey, I'm going to Jackson today, it would be pretty normal. If they said hey, we're going to Hattiesburg, Forrest Co, I'd ask why. JMO being local.

I understand what you are saying makes perfect sense. I know they are two different counties. That's my point. Strahan had family In Carthage, Jackson, Collins,Hattiesburg.
So that kind of travel would make sense.

Machinehead
02-26-2014, 08:53 AM
Happy Birthday Shondra. The search for truth and justice goes on. Numquam cede. Magna est veritas, et prevalebit.

trmay626
02-26-2014, 08:11 PM
Happy Birthday... would have been 46

bessie
02-26-2014, 11:24 PM
http://i.imgur.com/2ampIGk.jpg
For Remembrance
For Justice
For Shondra

jokie7348
03-02-2014, 11:22 AM
Bump for Shondra! Happy belated birthday! My understanding is that the MBI is still working hard on this case. They have 3 suspects, possibly 4. Hope justice for Shondra will come soon.

scriptgirl
03-07-2014, 02:02 PM
Are Shondra's parents still alive?

jokie7348
03-10-2014, 10:40 AM
Her father is alive. She has one living brother. Her mother is deceased.

missgirl68
03-12-2014, 01:54 PM
What would it take to get the show Cold Justice to investigate Shondra's murder? They may not get to solve it, but they would be able to get information others haven't. I have always heard that a law enforcement member first name Willie could have been involved. Outside investigators may have a better chance than those who are so close. Just a thought.

scriptgirl
03-25-2014, 03:11 PM
Did they ever get DNA off her?

trmay626
04-07-2014, 04:17 PM
Yes, there is DNA evidence