PDA

View Full Version : Missing Prosecutor Found Shot, Stabbed to Death After not showing for Rappers trial

Doyle
12-05-2003, 05:41 AM
A federal prosecutor was found shot and stabbed to death in Pennsylvania on Thursday after failing to show up at the trial of an aspiring rapper and his former associate accused of dealing heroin, the judge in the case said. http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20031204_2090.html

Casshew
12-05-2003, 08:05 AM
:eek:

MrsMush99
12-05-2003, 10:35 AM
This is just awful!!! I couldn't believe it when I heard about this. While I was watching Greta last night they said that he got a call at midnight and left the house. I am sure that the phone call has something to do with his death.

So sad.:(

gsquared
12-05-2003, 02:43 PM
According to the latest in the Washington Post, Luna was NOT shot. He was stabbed numerous times, and according to the coroner, the cause of death was stab wounds and drowning.

He had left the office and was heading home just before midnight, not the other way around.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38782-2003Dec5.html

I have a friend at Arnold & Porter, Luna's old firm, and I think I may have actually met him at one of her parties, but it would have been years ago. I certainly cannot say that I actually knew Jonathan Luna other than in passing. I feel terrible for his family and his friends.

MissMisty
12-05-2003, 11:16 PM
Jonathan Luna. That is his name. Isn't anyone outraged about this? A prosecuter trying to put scumbags behind bars is brutally stabbed and dumped in the water where he drowned. Hideous.
Misty

Doyle
12-06-2003, 05:57 AM
Assistant U.S. Attorney Jonathan P. Luna (search) was "brutalized with multiple stab wounds" and left to drown in the Pennsylvania creek where his body was found, a coroner said Friday
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,104963,00.html

was this rapper involved? or was it a previous criminal? Hopefully there is some evidence.

yes, I am outraged...by this, and many other acts.

gsquared
12-06-2003, 11:15 AM
This is absolutely hideous. I hope they catch and fry the scum who did this.

mindys
12-06-2003, 10:38 PM
I have no doubt they will catch the perp(s) who committed this hideous crime. This victim was one of the truly good guys out there!

Old Broad
12-06-2003, 11:00 PM
A terrible loss of life!!!
We often forget how many people are out there putting their life on the line to protect society.
I hope the guilty are found soon!

gsquared
12-07-2003, 12:21 PM
Reports in the Washington Post today say they are looking into Luna's personal life as well as his professional life. Apparently he had made previous trips toPennsylvania, although for what reason it not known.

mindys
12-07-2003, 08:42 PM
This is not good:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,105039,00.html

Doyle
12-08-2003, 05:59 AM
Pennsylvania cops looking into the brutal murder of federal prosecutor Jonathan Luna yesterday focused on a trail of ATM withdrawals made with Luna's cash card in the hours surrounding his mysterious death.
http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/12773.htm

gsquared
12-08-2003, 11:27 AM
I doubt it was really this Jonathan Luna on a sex website. He would not have used his real name! And since his credit card was used at a mall hours after his death, we know that robbery was at least a partial motive.

gsquared
12-08-2003, 11:31 AM
This is odd - one news story says there were almost no defensive wounds, suggesting more than one assailant, another story said Luna fought for his life, that he had many defensive wounds. News stories also say he left his glasses and cell phone on his desk, suggesting that he planned to return to his office. So, was he forced to go to his car, abducted while still in his office buidling? Lured to his car somehow? Lured outside then forced to take his car out of the parking garage?

Doyle
12-09-2003, 05:49 AM
Fed attorney knew his murderer
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime_file/story/143788p-127275c.html

MysteryAddict
12-09-2003, 03:16 PM
We definitely have a fascinating murder mystery here.

My question is-how can we even get a handle on the
timeline when there are so many conflicting reports?
In the above links-

One says "Luna left his Baltimore home just before
midnight after getting a mysterious call on his cell phone."

Another says "Luna left his home early in the evening and
went back to his office to work on papers in the plea
bargain. He was there until around midnight."

Confusion right from the start!

gsquared
12-09-2003, 04:24 PM
The reliable papers - Washington Post, etc., put Luna in his office, leaving there sometime before midnight, driving alone toward PA, passing through an EX Pass on a highway in Delaware heading north toward PA. He withdrew cash from an ATM and got gas and was acting normally - not under duress - during those transactions. He was filmed by a camera at the ATM machine. A gas station attendant did not notice anyone with him, but also did not look directly into the car.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47733-2003Dec8.html

>>Luna left the Baltimore federal courthouse about 11:30 p.m. Wednesday in his silver Honda Accord. Sometime after midnight, he was recorded by an ATM camera in Newark, Del., and seemed to be acting normally as he withdrew money, a law enforcement official said.

A couple of hours later, it appeared to a worker that Luna was alone when he got out of his car at a gas station in King of Prussia, Pa., law enforcement sources said. <<

Luna left his glasses and cell phone in his office. No one knows why. Cell phone equipment (I assume a charger and the handsfree device) were found in his car, but not the phone itself.

The FBI website has a photo of Luna's car.

http://www.fbi.gov/mostwant/seekinfo/luna.htm

BTW, another Assistant United States Attorney was mysteriously murdered a two years ago - Thomas Wales, shot in his home in Seattle on October 11, 2001.

http://www.fbi.gov/mostwant/seekinfo/wales.htm

MysteryAddict
12-09-2003, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the clarification on the time.

It is interesting to learn that he was acting normally-
"not under duress" as he withdrew cash
and got gas on his way to Lancaster.

It sounds like he was heading there to meet
someone not knowing what terrible fate was
to befall him when he arrived.

nanandjim
12-09-2003, 10:17 PM
From what I have read, I agree that he was going to meet someone. Perhaps, he withdrew cash to pay for a sexual rendezvous.

Do you think that he was set up by a woman who he had met before? Could she have been married? Perhaps, her husband/boyfriend forced her to call him and arrange a meeting. When he arrived, he was ambushed. It has been reported that his genitals were severely damaged. Sounds like another guy would do this, don't you think?

MysteryAddict
12-09-2003, 11:57 PM
Whoever did this murder had an intense
hatred of Luna for some reason-It was up
close, personal and fierce!

It wasn't done just to get him out of the way.
This could have been accomplished by one
shot to the head.

If it's true about the genital injuries,
it would seem the motive had to do with
Luna's sexual activities.

mindys
12-10-2003, 03:00 AM
This one is something else! Hatred doensn't describe this. He did something way bad to someone.

Doyle
12-10-2003, 06:05 AM
Authorities working to solve the mysterious slaying of a Baltimore federal prosecutor are examining his personal relationships with women and possible financial and work-related problems, a law enforcement official said yesterday.
http://www.sunspot.net/news/local/bal-te.md.luna09dec09,0,7717163.story?coll=bal-local-headlines

Maryland federal prosecutor Jonathan Luna withdrew $200 from an ATM in Delaware in the hours before he was dumped in a creek to drown after a vicious knife attack, sources close to the investigation told CNN
http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/12/09/prosecutor.slaying/index.html

There was no indication that a federal prosecutor was restrained or tied up when he was stabbed 36 times and left to drown in a Pennsylvania creek, a doctor who examined him said Tuesday.
http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/103-12092003-210331.html

gsquared
12-10-2003, 12:15 PM
The reports say he was kneed or kicked in the genitals - there was microscopic bleeding there.

Off the top of my head - the $200 withdrawl, the multiple stab wounds, the knee in the balls, the out of the way place, everything seemingly happening in the car, no duress, Luna travelling alone...

It all adds up to this, IMO...he got some cash and picked up a hooker. For whatever reason, things got ugly and the hooker or her pimp killed him.

MysteryAddict
12-10-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by gsquared
The reports say he was kneed or kicked in the genitals - there was microscopic bleeding there.

Off the top of my head - the $200 withdrawl, the multiple stab wounds, the knee in the balls, the out of the way place, everything seemingly happening in the car, no duress, Luna travelling alone...

It all adds up to this, IMO...he got some cash and picked up a hooker. For whatever reason, things got ugly and the hooker or her pimp killed him.

The coroner didn't mention injury to the genitals.
(doesn't mean it's not true, just not mentioned)

"Dr. Barry Walp, the Lancaster County coroner, said all of Assistant U.S. Attorney Jonathan Luna's stab wounds were his neck and the front of his chest, including several deep neck wounds that caused internal bleeding."

"Police found Luna fully dressed, including a suit jacket
and overcoat. The only things in Luna's pockets were a
few loose bills, Walp said."

It's hard to believe that he drove 2 1/2 hours
(an indirect route) just to pick up a hooker.
Surely they are in supply much closer to home.

Just my humble opinion

MysteryAddict
12-11-2003, 02:49 PM
New Info on Luna-
He bought gas for 2 cars at the Sunoco station in
King of Prussia!!!
Hopefully they will have some info soon on that
2nd car!
Maybe this is why he went out of his way on this
trip because he met up with someone there.
Elsewhere I read that after his body was found,
someone used his credit card in King of Prussia.
Maybe that was the same person whose car he
bought gas for earlier?????
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted on Wed, Dec. 10, 2003

Probe in death of prosecutor returns to Montco area
By Oliver Prichard and Jeff Shields
Inquirer Staff Writers

Less than three hours before his death in central Pennsylvania, federal prosecutor Jonathan P. Luna stopped at a King of Prussia service station to buy gas for his car and a second vehicle, according to a station attendant.

Luna, 38, of Elkridge, Md., was found about 5:30 a.m. Thursday in rural Brecknock Township, stabbed 36 times and drowned in an icy creek. His bloodstained Honda Accord was idling nearby.

Investigators have zeroed in on a Sunoco service station at the King of Prussia service plaza off the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

An attendant at the station, Moustapha Balde, said late last night that Luna seemed calm as he bought gas shortly after 3 a.m. the day he was killed.

Later, Balde said, after FBI agents had visited the station, it became clear from sales records that Luna had used his credit card to pay at the pump for his car and also a second vehicle.

nanandjim
12-11-2003, 05:25 PM
Still believe Luna could have been set up by the person he was meeting. Perhaps, they were headed to their 'usual' spot and her boyfriend/husband and his friends were laying in wait until they arrived....You know the rest of the story. ....Maybe, if this is the case...she will eventually come forward...

MysteryAddict
12-12-2003, 06:34 PM
Slain Prosecutor Struggled Before Death

Friday, December 12, 2003

BALTIMORE Jonathan Luna (search) did not go down without a fight. That's what law enforcement officials were saying after they discovered blood from a second person in the car of the assistant U.S. attorney, whose body was found in a creek in rural Lancaster County, Pa., last week.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like good news that they have evidence of
blood from a second person in Luna's car!

Now we just need a suspect to match it to.

gsquared
12-15-2003, 02:54 PM
I don't what to make of this case. He bought gas for his killer willingly? That means he knew and trusted the person, and for some reason, they got into an argument that led to his murder. Were they lovers on their way to a rendevous, and maybe the woman became angry that he hadn't left his wife or something? Or maybe it was a man in the other car, and Luna was involved in something illegal, and his "partner" killed him? Or maybe Luna had done something in the past and was being blackmailed.

Doyle
12-16-2003, 05:23 AM
Family, friends and colleagues of Jonathan P. Luna, the federal prosecutor found slain this month in Pennsylvania, gathered Monday for a funeral in Columbia that attracted about 1,000 people
http://www.sunspot.net/news/local/bal-luna1215,0,685015.story?coll=bal-local-headlines

gsquared
12-16-2003, 10:25 AM
Here is the Post's coverage of Jonathan Luna's funeral:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A3013-2003Dec15.html

MysteryAddict
12-16-2003, 04:50 PM
Here is the Post's coverage of Jonathan Luna's funeral:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A3013-2003Dec15.html

Has anyone seen a picture of his wife, Angela or
heard any comments made by her?
I notice that in the Washington Post picture of the
mourners there are no women shown.
Can we assume she is a doctor since she was in
Medical School when they met?

Imon128
12-16-2003, 04:52 PM
gsquared, that must be somewhat of a difficult story to keep abreast of, in your occupation. Very scary people out there, yikes!

bluehawaii25
12-16-2003, 10:52 PM
I believe I read his wife is an obstetrician. I haven't heard of any comments made publically by her or saw her picture either.

gsquared
12-17-2003, 03:54 PM
I have never seen a picture of the wife or kids in the paper, only a picture of Luna's father, I believe. They are probably requesting that such photos not be shown both for privacy and security reasons. Nobody knows yet exactly what happened to Luna or why.

MysteryAddict
12-17-2003, 07:26 PM
Relating to the Luna case-
Tonight I heard just a snippit on NBC news that
a turnpike receipt at the Lancaster exit had blood
on it.
Anyone have any details on this?

gsquared
12-18-2003, 12:10 PM
I have not heard ONE PEEP on this case since the funeral. That itself is interesting.

Pepper
12-20-2003, 04:09 PM
I heard on TV that many of the stab wounds were in his genitals. I'm betting that this crime was sex related, and the perp was a male, not a female hooker. Perhaps male jilted lover or possibly male hooker, though woulnds sound like a crime of passion, so I'll lean toward Luna was living a double life - wife & kids, plus male lover on the side.

gsquared
12-20-2003, 04:19 PM
Stab wounds in the genitals? Yuck.

That could be and angry male lover or an angry female lover. Don't forget ... the Lorena Bobbit thing took place around here, in Prince William County, VA. Maybe he was seeng Lorena.

Pepper
12-20-2003, 04:56 PM
True gsquared, how could we forget Lorena Bobbit! But Lorena's husband was asleep at the time of her infamous incident. I just don't think a female could overpower him enough to do 36 stab wounds. It will be interesting to see what they uncover.

MysteryAddict
12-20-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Pepper
I heard on TV that many of the stab wounds were in his genitals. I'm betting that this crime was sex related, and the perp was a male, not a female hooker. Perhaps male jilted lover or possibly male hooker, though woulnds sound like a crime of passion, so I'll lean toward Luna was living a double life - wife & kids, plus male lover on the side.

Pepper,

What you say you heard on TV is most surprising to me,
since the coroner only described stab wounds to the
neck and chest!

Have you seen this other info in print anywhere?

This is astounding that "stab wounds to the genitals"
was reported. Of course it could be true, who knows,
if it is further info leaked from the coroner's office.

But why issue the initial report that stab wounds were
only to the neck and chest?

Pepper
12-20-2003, 10:14 PM
Can't say that I've seen it in print either. This is a most bizarre case. Since it involves a federal prosecutor, there may not be much leaked evidence. Wish I could remember where I heard the part about most of the wounds being in the genital area - probably on Fox News, but just caught a snippit.

gsquared
12-22-2003, 04:05 PM
Here's an article from the Post on Saturday about the case. The print edition had a map showing the corcuitous route he took. I wish they had the map on line!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A17950-2003Dec20.html

civilatty
12-22-2003, 09:57 PM
OK - I'm hoping there is an explanation for this crime that does not besmirch this man's reputation, for the sake of his adoring family.

That said, picture this: he picks up a hooker and they park to get it on. Girly looking hooker has a penis or is a Tranny of some sort. Lawyer gets pissed, they scuffle and the he-hooker stabs him. Would explain the ability to overpower and attention to genital area.

Edited to add query - where did the killer go?? Wouldn't someone remember seeing someone walking or hitchhiking in the area? was there another car?

MysteryAddict
12-22-2003, 11:05 PM
Here's an article from the Post on Saturday about the case. The print edition had a map showing the corcuitous route he took. I wish they had the map on line!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A17950-2003Dec20.html

Thank you so much for posting this link. It's really good
to know that the Washington post is interested in and
following the story.

When even a college roommate describes a guy as
"honorable and always dignified" he doesn't sound
like the type to be involved with a hooker.

So- until I hear more facts from a reliable source such as
The Post, I'm going to hesitate to blame Luna's murder
on some sleazy act on his part.

gsquared
12-23-2003, 12:16 PM
Civitatty, I was thinking the exact same thing about a hooker turned male. But then I thought - why the weird driving route? I wondered if maybe Luna was following someone, or being followed and trying to throw someone off this trail? The driving route makes no sense at all. If you're going to pick up a hooker, you don't have to go hundreds of miles out of your way to do it.

nanandjim
12-23-2003, 02:19 PM
Because Luna had one of those EZPasses, he didn't need to turn in a ticket to get off the turnpike. So, someone else was probably driving his car at this point. There probably was also another car and person(s) involved. How else would the person exit the crime scene? I sure hope that they catch who did this.

MysteryAddict
12-23-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by nanandjim
Because Luna had one of those EZPasses, he didn't need to turn in a ticket to get off the turnpike. So, someone else was probably driving his car at this point. There probably was also another car and person(s) involved. How else would the person exit the crime scene? I sure hope that they catch who did this.

BINGO!!!!
That makes total sense!

He was not driving and must have already been
injured at that point!
I'm thinking there may have been several involved
since the pool of blood was on the floor in the back.
That would mean we need a driver, a guy in the back
with Luna and someone following in another car for
the getaway.

luthersmama
12-24-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Pepper
Can't say that I've seen it in print either. This is a most bizarre case. Since it involves a federal prosecutor, there may not be much leaked evidence. Wish I could remember where I heard the part about most of the wounds being in the genital area - probably on Fox News, but just caught a snippit.

The Philadelphia Inquirer had a story that said that the reports of genital wounds was untrue. He had "light bruising" in that area, consistent with being kicked, but no stab wounds.

I can't buy the hooker theory, simply because there would be no earthly reason for a guy from Baltimore to meet a hooker in Lancaster County. There is apparently some evidence that he had been to that area recently, but there is no "business" explanation for it. Also doesn't make sense that he would work until 11:30, then take off to go meet a hooker for a quickie someplace in PA when he was due in court bright and early the next morning. If he was kidnapped, it must have happend AFTER he stopped for gas in King of Prussia. The clerk said he was fine at that point.

I am inclined to believe that he owed somebody alot of money. He met them near King of Prussia with the cash he had picked up in Delaware, but they were not satisfied. Two of them got control of him and his vehicle at that point and got on the Turnpike at the Valley Forge on ramp. Another guy followed in another car. During the hour or so it took to get to the Denver exit, he was stabbed. They got off at Denver, dumped him in the creek (which is visible from the turnpike) and hopped into the other car and were home shortly thereafter.

If his intended destination was King of Prussia, he could have expected to make the round trip in about 3 hours if he went 80 or so. I think he planned to meet the guys, give them a "down payment" and get back to Baltimore in time to catch a couple hours of sleep and still show up in court on time.

MysteryAddict
12-24-2003, 10:06 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by luthersmama
[B]The Philadelphia Inquirer had a story that said that the reports of genital wounds was untrue. He had "light bruising" in that area, consistent with being kicked, but no stab wounds.

Thanks for that info from the Inquirer.
Hopefully now we can put to rest the
gossip about the genital stab wounds.

Also, I agree this had nothing to do with
a hooker and may well have to do with
revenge or blackmail.

WhiteWolf
01-19-2004, 11:35 AM
Bumping this up for the members interested in the Luna case.

poco
01-19-2004, 12:00 PM
Bumping this up for the members interested in the Luna case.

Thanks for the bump. I had started on thread on this entitled Jonathan Luna (his name, of course), as I didn't see where anyone had been discussing. I find this case interesting and see others are interested as well.

Let's keep up the discussion.

poco
01-19-2004, 12:13 PM
Apparently he was already at home when he got a telephone call which prompted him to go back to his office - when he left the office about 11:00 or 11:30 or so is when the mysterious trip began. Did he receive a call from his office of some sort??? I'm sure LE has already gotten the phone records from that evening. Other questions I have -

Where does he live in reference to his office? Where is Howard County?
Who called him at home to have him return to his office?
What happened next?

The circuitous route is what confuses me. I am from that area, know it quite well, and it does not make any sense to me.

strach304
01-19-2004, 12:31 PM
Another car was involved in my opinion indicating one of two possiblities; an affair in which the husband or boyfriend followed to possible meeting or a meeting with a supposed informant pertaining to a case. Wouldn't be the first prosecutor killed in Balto. and 95 is so easy to access all the areas he drove that night.

poco
01-19-2004, 12:59 PM
Another car was involved in my opinion indicating one of two possiblities; an affair in which the husband or boyfriend followed to possible meeting or a meeting with a supposed informant pertaining to a case. Wouldn't be the first prosecutor killed in Balto. and 95 is so easy to access all the areas he drove that night.

He was seen, however, quite a few times along the route, buying gas, withdrawing money from the ATM, stopping at a comfort station and buying food and drinks, etc etc and was apparently alone then.

I'm wondering where he came into contact with the KILLER???

Couldn't have been a husband or BF - how would they have know JL as at his office - how would they know JL planned to meet his "lover" afterwards.... And, even it he was followed by a husband or BF, why did JL take such a strange route???? Plus, it seems like an awful late night when you are expected in court the following morning at 9 1.m.

Toth
01-19-2004, 01:02 PM
Another car was involved Quite possibly another car, certainly another driver. I dont think he was the driver who went through the toll booth but paid cash instead of using the electronic windshield pass.
It was a set up, but it was not because he was a prosecutor. I think it may have been just a sex thing. He went to a freeway rest area to meet someone but that was just 'bait'. He was the target. Or something happened after the meeting that was more 'emotional' than 'financial'. He may have thought he was meeting a woman but found out it was a hormone-laden male. Or a woman whose boyfriend robbed her clients.

nanandjim
01-19-2004, 02:54 PM
What if he got a call from his distressed girlfriend who said that her husband/boyfriend had just beaten her up and she needed his help? What if he was going to pick her up and give her the cash to give a room for the night? Playing on this theory, perhaps the girlfriend had found evidence of Luna (emails, cards or whatever) and beat her up and forced her to call him and get him over there. Hopefully, LE has evidence of who called him. I would think the last person calling him is connected to this crime.

poco
01-19-2004, 06:51 PM
If he was meeting someone that night (or thought he was), he must have been one HORNY guy - he had to be in court the next morning bright and early - that is what I don't understand - he was just gonna drive all that distance for a QUICKIE????

gsquared
01-20-2004, 11:51 AM
I read the Washington Post every day and I have been keeping a special lookout for anything on the Luna case but there has been NOTHING.

poco
01-20-2004, 12:13 PM
I read the Washington Post every day and I have been keeping a special lookout for anything on the Luna case but there has been NOTHING.

Thanks Square, I'm counting on you to keep us posted......

poco
01-22-2004, 07:24 PM

Yeah, but still doesn't make sense to me.
1) Like someone else mentioned, he could have picked up a hooker in Baltimore - much closer than home - than drive all the way to King of Prussia or wherever.
2) I still don't get it - he had to be in court the next morning at 0900. He must have been quite horny - especially when he could have gone home to his wife!

Too weird........... I hope we hear something soon.

gsquared
01-24-2004, 01:13 PM
Was that late night call to his cell phone or home phone? If to his cell, it would be easily traceable. I'm not sure if a local call to a land line is as easily traceable.

poco
01-24-2004, 01:35 PM
The Philadelphia Inquirer had a story that said that the reports of genital wounds was untrue. He had "light bruising" in that area, consistent with being kicked, but no stab wounds.

I can't buy the hooker theory, simply because there would be no earthly reason for a guy from Baltimore to meet a hooker in Lancaster County. There is apparently some evidence that he had been to that area recently, but there is no "business" explanation for it. Also doesn't make sense that he would work until 11:30, then take off to go meet a hooker for a quickie someplace in PA when he was due in court bright and early the next morning. If he was kidnapped, it must have happend AFTER he stopped for gas in King of Prussia. The clerk said he was fine at that point.

I am inclined to believe that he owed somebody alot of money. He met them near King of Prussia with the cash he had picked up in Delaware, but they were not satisfied. Two of them got control of him and his vehicle at that point and got on the Turnpike at the Valley Forge on ramp. Another guy followed in another car. During the hour or so it took to get to the Denver exit, he was stabbed. They got off at Denver, dumped him in the creek (which is visible from the turnpike) and hopped into the other car and were home shortly thereafter.

If his intended destination was King of Prussia, he could have expected to make the round trip in about 3 hours if he went 80 or so. I think he planned to meet the guys, give them a "down payment" and get back to Baltimore in time to catch a couple hours of sleep and still show up in court on time.

I tend to agree with you - that he owed money to someone - I did hear he had debts, maybe credit card, I don't recall, up to $25,000 - was he into gambling?? What was he spending all this money on??

There was a phone call that he received at home that made him return to his office - then there was a call to his office - what was that about???

Here is a timeline ---- also talks about the phone calls----
http://pages.prodigy.net/kris.baker/luna.html

SieSie
02-11-2004, 12:15 AM
Bumping this - wonder why we haven't heard anything more yet.

nanandjim
02-14-2004, 12:04 PM
I read on CN2000 that the investigators have found the pen knife that made the injuries on Luna's body. They are now investigating the possibility of suicide. I don't buy suicide.

mindys
02-14-2004, 03:23 PM
One of the shows did an update on this case mid-week. They said there is a female FBI agent being investigated, they are not saying wether there was an affair between them, (it was implied), but that she was giving him a lot of information on cases. I'll look for a link.

Edited to add, from the 2/13 Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38588-2004Feb13.html

LovelyPigeon
02-14-2004, 07:12 PM
Luna's penknife found, he was likely stabbed with it:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal-md.luna13feb13,0,3735468.story?coll=bal-local-headlines

poco
02-14-2004, 09:32 PM
Loan application

In recent days, investigators have again turned their attention to the unsolved disappearance of about $36,000 introduced as evidence in a bank robbery trial that Luna prosecuted in September 2002. Authorities have not linked the missing cash to Luna or to his death, but investigators now are examining a loan application that Luna filled out online about the time of the trial.

The loan application was for about $30,000, and it was canceled not long after the period when the evidence money was discovered missing, according to a federal law enforcement source. Authorities have determined that at the time of his death, Luna had credit card debts of about $25,000 -- and that he had as many as 16 credit card accounts, some that he held without his wife's knowledge.

Hmmmmmmm, interesting..... Very coincidental, IMO.

SieSie
02-18-2004, 01:43 AM
I don't buy that it was suicide at all. I'm glad they're looking at every angle, but surely with him paying for gas for 2 vehicles, another blood type being found in the car... they must know there was someone else there and that it was indeed murder. Need way more information before I can even begin to contemplate this tragedy.

poco
02-18-2004, 06:59 AM
I heard later Siesie that the buying of gas for two cars was not true - he only bought gas for one car - I can't remember where I read it, but I did!

gsquared
02-18-2004, 03:51 PM
Wow. If he stole evidence money, maybe it was to pay off a loan shark and wasn't enough. That could get you killed, but so far as I know, the mob doesn't use pen knives.

SieSie
02-19-2004, 12:37 AM
I heard later Siesie that the buying of gas for two cars was not true - he only bought gas for one car - I can't remember where I read it, but I did!

K, Poco, thanks for that update. I'm from Lancaster County where his body was found - I live in Michigan now, though. The rest of my family is still there, but I still haven't heard much about this case except for when they first found his body.

poco
02-19-2004, 05:45 AM
K, Poco, thanks for that update. I'm from Lancaster County where his body was found - I live in Michigan now, though. The rest of my family is still there, but I still haven't heard much about this case except for when they first found his body.

WOW Siesie, I'm from Lancaster Co, too, but live in Florida now. Of course, my whole family still resides up there!!! Brrrrrr - too cold for me (of course, Michigan is probably even colder).

SieSie
02-24-2004, 11:56 AM
WOW Siesie, I'm from Lancaster Co, too, but live in Florida now. Of course, my whole family still resides up there!!! Brrrrrr - too cold for me (of course, Michigan is probably even colder).

No kidding Poco?! Cool! I was born and raised there, but moved to Michigan when I was 19 (about 16 years ago). What school district did you go to? I lived in the Hempfield school district, but graduated from a private school on Lincoln Hwy. East.

Maybe we grew up together?! LOL!

poco
03-03-2004, 08:45 AM
No kidding Poco?! Cool! I was born and raised there, but moved to Michigan when I was 19 (about 16 years ago). What school district did you go to? I lived in the Hempfield school district, but graduated from a private school on Lincoln Hwy. East.

Maybe we grew up together?! LOL!

Still wondering why there isn't any news AT ALL on this case.....

Anyway, Siesie - I, too, was born and raised in Lancaster until the age of 15, when we moved to Texas. We lived in Hempfield and, of course, I attended Hempfield until the middle of 10th grade. We lived in Golden Acres which is off of Nolt Road. Moved to Texas, lived there for umpteen years, then back to Lancaster for 17 years.... Now I'm in Florida and have been here for 1 1/2 years; I think I'm staying.

What year did you graduate????

gsquared
03-08-2004, 11:13 AM
There is an article in the Washington Post today saying that Luna mayhave killed himself:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38940-2004Mar7.html

If he was in severe debt and had stolen money from the evidence room, he might have killed himself out of shame and tried to make it look like murder so his family would get life insurance proceeds. I am curious to know whether he had life insurance policies from his employment and anywhere else, and whether they forbade payouts for suicides.

mindys
03-09-2004, 12:08 AM
Have they ever revealed the identity of the caller who rang him right before he left home that night. Was that call the female FBI agent above??

SieSie
03-10-2004, 11:55 PM
On The Record with Greta right now - they are looking at the possibility that this was a suicide!! Dr. Baden talking - no other tire marks or shoe prints in the area.

Kasey2
03-12-2004, 09:15 AM
There is supposed to be a press conference in Baltimore this afternoon (3/12) held by the FBI and the PA State Police to address the Luna case.

I wonder if they are going to announce that it has been found to be a suicide. Supposedly, a lot of the initial information that came out about Luna's last hours was incorrect, possibly due to his attempt to protect and benefit his family by making his death look like a homicide.

MysteryAddict
03-12-2004, 04:26 PM
Finally News On The Luna Case!

I've been waiting and wondering since December why no word on Luna.

Then today I heard on Fox that the FBI is offering a reward of up to
$100,000 for information about his death!!

They were asking for anyone who saw his car anywhere along the
route or at the rest stop to notify the FBI.

Why, I wonder, would they wait so darn long to do this?

My personal opinion is that he didn't commit suicide with his pen knife.

I believe he was murdered and sure hope they catch whoever did it!

fran
03-13-2004, 03:06 PM
I can't believe the FBI hasn't been able to solve this case by now. Shouldn't they have all the latest technics and equipment? What the heck!!
This case is puzzeling. It's hard to sleuth effectively, IMO, when you just have facts from the media, AND THEY'RE CONTRADICTORY of one another at best and or just plain wrong in the facts reported.
What stands out at me are a few things.
1. He left that cell message for the other attorney that he was going home for a little while but would return to his office and have the papers he was working on completed and faxed to him.
2. He left his cell phone at the office.
This tells me he was planning on being at the office later AND he, IMO, had plans on being right back (which was why he didn't take his cell). This guy was an attorney, they never go anywhere for any length of time without their cell phone.
The missing evidence $$ AND the loan application AND the credit card debt is curious. IMO, it's possible he had a gambling problem. I don't want to besmirch him, he seems, from all accounts, like a good man. But, we all have our secrets. Some, just more than others.
I don't see how someone could stab themself that many times and have it be suicide. Doesn't make sense to me. Plus, why did they find or link the pen knife or whatever as the weapon used so long AFTER the crime? Why didn't they say it was the weapon from the get-go?
I'm not sure what it is, but I would be willing to bet that at least that credit card debt has something to do with the crime. Not that a cc company would do this to a customer, but the REASON for the debt connected to the crime.
JMHO
fran

poco
03-17-2004, 08:24 AM
S U I C I D E ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Hmmmmmm, I don't think so!

LovelyPigeon
03-18-2004, 12:04 PM
from the Intelligencer-Journal:
Dr. Gary Kirchner, the county coroner, said the autopsy report is clear.

"Luna was stabbed 36 times and died from freshwater drowning," Kirchner said. "There just isn't any way this is a suicide."

Retired Coroner Dr. Barry Walp, who pronounced Luna dead Dec. 4, agreed.

"It's still a homicide," Walp said. "I don't know where this
stuff about suicide is coming from."

LovelyPigeon
03-18-2004, 12:18 PM
I'm theorizing that Luna picked up the wrong prostitute, either male or female, and ended up stabbed with his own pocketknife.

Prostitute leaves the vehicle, Luna drives away bleeding. Loss of blood eventually leads to his driving off the side of the road, and into the shallow creek.

He stumbles from his car, falls face down into the creek, and drowns in shallow water, no strength left to pick himself back up.

poco
03-18-2004, 03:25 PM
I'm theorizing that Luna picked up the wrong prostitute, either male or female, and ended up stabbed with his own pocketknife.

Prostitute leaves the vehicle, Luna drives away bleeding. Loss of blood eventually leads to his driving off the side of the road, and into the shallow creek.

He stumbles from his car, falls face down into the creek, and drowns in shallow water, no strength left to pick himself back up.

So why drive all the way to SE PA for a hooker? Are they better there?

MysteryAddict
03-19-2004, 04:05 PM
So why drive all the way to SE PA for a hooker? Are they better there?

Good question POCO!

I love your gardening cartoon!

Mystery Addict

poco
03-19-2004, 08:25 PM
Good question POCO!

I love your gardening cartoon!

Mystery Addict

Thanks, I draw them all myself!

:liar:

LovelyPigeon
03-19-2004, 10:12 PM
Why drive to PA at all? Maybe he didn't want to be caught in his own district.

I dunno.

What's your theory?

poco
03-22-2004, 07:03 AM
Why drive to PA at all? Maybe he didn't want to be caught in his own district.

I dunno.

What's your theory?

Caught doing what????

My theory???? Hmmmm...... Whenever someone posts what they think might have happened, I disagree. Yet, I have no idea what I think might have happened. I need more clues!!!!

Who called him at home that evening to make him return to the office?
Why did he leave his cell phone and wallet at the office when he left for his "journey?"
Why did he take such a circuitous route if his intentions were to end up in Ephrata, PA?

I wish we would hear more on this!!!

mindys
03-22-2004, 11:26 AM
Who called him at home that evening to make him return to the office?
That's what I want to know!

LovelyPigeon
03-22-2004, 03:49 PM
poco, I don't know about wallet or cell phone left behind.

Walp said Luna was dressed in a suit and overcoat, and had his wallet with identification and cash, but it was unclear whether he had been robbed.

Money and cell phone equipment also were found inside his car, which had blood on the driver's side door and fender and a large pool of blood on the floor, according to a police search warrant application. The affidavit said Luna also had a "traumatic wound" on the right side of his head.

poco
03-23-2004, 08:04 AM
poco, I don't know about wallet or cell phone left behind.

Walp said Luna was dressed in a suit and overcoat, and had his wallet with identification and cash, but it was unclear whether he had been robbed.

Money and cell phone equipment also were found inside his car, which had blood on the driver's side door and fender and a large pool of blood on the floor, according to a police search warrant application. The affidavit said Luna also had a "traumatic wound" on the right side of his head.

One of the very first articles on this indicated that he left his cell phone and keys (sorry, it was keys, not wallet) at his office. It is written in one of the links attached to one of the first few threads. I knew I remembered reading about it - just have had time to search out which newspaper actually wrote about this.

Also, they said money and CELL PHONE EQUIPMENT were found inside his car - not necessarily a cell phone.

If I have time later to day I will try to track down the exact link.

LovelyPigeon
03-23-2004, 03:55 PM
The only article I could find Googling was from the NY Post (tabloid), which said Luna left his cell phone and glasses behind in his office.

The same article also said that Luna was severely beaten, which turned out not to be true.

It's true that none of the articles state that a cell phone was found in the car--they all say "cell phone equipment".

poco
03-23-2004, 03:59 PM
The only article I could find Googling was from the NY Post (tabloid), which said Luna left his cell phone and glasses behind in his office.

The same article also said that Luna was severely beaten, which turned out not to be true.

It's true that none of the articles state that a cell phone was found in the car--they all say "cell phone equipment".

Hmmmmmm, so what can we deduce from this?????????????? Nothing, I guess. lol