PDA

View Full Version : AL AL - Sherry Milton, 26, Tuscaloosa, 14 Aug 2005

ShowerSinger
08-16-2005, 09:24 PM
A young woman from Tuscaloosa Alabama has been missing since Sunday. She called a friend to say she was lost in Birmingham, in the area of Ensley.(High-crime area.)
www.nbc13.com/news/4859069/detail.html

Jovin
08-16-2005, 11:46 PM
Is it just me, or does there seem to be a real rise in missing young women lately?

Bobbisangel
08-17-2005, 01:53 AM
Is it just me, or does there seem to be a real rise in missing young women lately?

It isn't just you. Young missing women and young pregnant women seem to be what is happening now. Before this it was kids one right after the other.
The politicians would probably disagree with us but all you have to do is watch the news or come into places like this and it is a real rude awakening. Unless a person sees the missing listed one after the other you just have no idea how many people there are of every age. This world just gets worse and worse.

Jovin
08-17-2005, 02:00 AM
it's a scarey place out there in the world today. I'm so glad my kids are already adults. I wouldn't want to have to be raising young girls today.

ShowerSinger
08-18-2005, 05:55 PM
Sherry Ann Milton's yellow convertible mustang was found in Midland, about 5 miles southwest of Ensley. A $5,000 reward is being offered by her family. She has a young son who misses his mommy.
Praying for her safe return. Doesn't sound good, though.

LadyLuck
08-18-2005, 06:33 PM
Praying for her and her family. This one does not sound good, Birmingham is one of those towns that you do not want to find yourself on the wrong street. I would not travel in Birmingham at night. It has a great medical center UAB- but when there I do not go out at night.

Bobbisangel
08-18-2005, 10:27 PM
I thought that maybe someone spotted her and her car and wanted her car but that wasn't the case beings they found her car. I wonder if the car was locked or unlocked...have gas in it...anything left of hers inside the car. I sure hope they find her alive. Glad I live in a little country town instead of a dangerous city.

ShowerSinger
08-18-2005, 11:32 PM
She was last seen leaving an Exxon station in Ensley. Approximately 30 minutes later, she called a friend on her cell phone to say she was lost. Bad area to be lost in.

ShowerSinger
08-18-2005, 11:45 PM
You'll have to scroll down to get the story.
Very strange.
It seems like she was abducted at the Exxon station.
www.postherald.com/me081805.shtml

SewingDeb
08-19-2005, 12:04 AM
You'll have to scroll down to get the story.
Very strange.
It seems like she was abducted at the Exxon station.
www.postherald.com/me081805.shtml

I feel so sorry for the guy searching for her. That druggie was really cruel to say what he did to him.

I scrolled down some more after I read the article about Sherry and it said Birmingham had had 8 slayings in 6 days! Said their homocide rate is 60 so far this year and last year it was 38. Scary.

ShowerSinger
08-24-2005, 08:42 PM
She's still missing. I didn't really buy that story about the matches, either.
www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledgerenquirer/news/local/12455771.htm

Jodibug
08-25-2005, 08:01 AM
Just read about this one on Greta's blog..... just looking for info.

CaliKid
08-26-2005, 02:20 PM
Seems like the girlfriend has more than one version of the matches story. First she says the car and Milton left her at the store, and then she says they had an argument in the parking lot? Hmmmm!

mmilton
08-27-2005, 08:37 PM
Sherry Milton is still missing and we are praying for her safe return. Our son, 9 year old David is living with me now. We are doing fair, just awaiting a safe return of his mom. I have known Sherry for about 15 years, married for 7, she is a great person and the best mother that any child could possibly ask for. This is definitely not normal for her and you are right the stories we are getting do not match up. I want to thank everyone for your concern and prayer.

Juliana
08-27-2005, 09:09 PM
Sherry Milton is still missing and we are praying for her safe return. Our son, 9 year old David is living with me now. We are doing fair, just awaiting a safe return of his mom. I have known Sherry for about 15 years, married for 7, she is a great person and the best mother that any child could possibly ask for. This is definitely not normal for her and you are right the stories we are getting do not match up. I want to thank everyone for your concern and prayer.

I am so, so sorry for what you and your son are going through. I have a boy around 9 yrs myself. I will say a prayer for you both, and keep you in my prayers. I hope they find Sherry soon. Be strong for your boy! God bless you!

jannuncutt
08-29-2005, 12:26 PM
I am so sorry for what you and your family are going through. The drug dealer's suggestion as to what may have happened to her makes me shiver. What do you think of the girlfriend that she went out with? Why would independent witnesses lie about them having a fight? On the other hand, why would the girlfriend go home and not worry about not hearing from Sherry?

mmilton
08-29-2005, 07:36 PM
I don't know what to think about any of this. All I know is that this is not like Sherry at all. I don't know why they stopped on that exit...but I do know that you can't even see the lights of that store from the main highway. So to me that rules out stopping for matches. There is a lot more going on here that we don't know about and some that we can't talk about. I just hope that we will find some conclusion to this soon. A good conclusion of course. David misses his mother and we want her home safely.

ShowerSinger
08-30-2005, 05:51 PM
mmilton,
Thank you so much for responding to this thread. My thoughts and prayers are for you all. I must say, that this case is getting very little media coverage, and it really should. How is the search going? I haven't seen anything about an organized search for her. Also, which club did they go to that evening? Of all places to stop, and for matches? Didn't she have a lighter in her car, or purse? Have they found her cell phone? Did you know the friend she was with? I hope the detectives are working hard on this, and updating you regularly. Please post anything you can. We do care.

nanandjim
08-30-2005, 06:25 PM
I don't know what to think about any of this. All I know is that this is not like Sherry at all. I don't know why they stopped on that exit...but I do know that you can't even see the lights of that store from the main highway. So to me that rules out stopping for matches. There is a lot more going on here that we don't know about and some that we can't talk about. I just hope that we will find some conclusion to this soon. A good conclusion of course. David misses his mother and we want her home safely.
I agree that there is more to this story; and, unfortunately, it does not sound good. I can picture that the passenger and Sherry got into some kind of disagreement, with the passenger asking to be dropped off at a payphone to call her husband.

It sounds like Sherry was stranded or lost. I don't know if the husband caught up with Sherry. Then, something happened. It's hard to say.

Jan_Alabama
09-01-2005, 05:32 PM
Has anyone heard anything? I saw this today....

http://www.al.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news/1125048177228380.xml?birminghamnews?nmbrf&coll=2

I wish she was given more coverage. I work not far from where she went missing and know the area....not good to go there especially that time of the night. I agree.....there's something strange about the friend being picked up by her husband. too many missing pieces to this puzzle.

Bless her little boy and loved ones. Jan

mysteriew
09-01-2005, 11:15 PM
Ok, some real inconsistencies here.
First: al.com reports on Fri. 8-26 that Police have identified Andrew Givens, 28, of Docena as a person of interest. He is not considered a suspect. This doesn't fit into with the later versions of events.

Second: postherald.com Charlie Hovell "She has no family but me," said Hovell, who also has four daughters of his own who are close to Milton, too.

When asked if Milton would disappear on her own, Hovell said she loves her son too much to do that. David, he said, is with his grandfather in Prattville.

Third: ledger-enquirer Milton's boyfriend, David Burt, last spoke to Milton about 10:30 p.m. the night she drove to Birmingham for a night out with a girlfriend.

Milton called Burt's cell phone about 10 times between 2 a.m. and 2:30 a.m. the next day, while she was in Birmingham. Burt said that on the last voice mail message she left him, Milton said: "Help me, please. Where are you? ... This is unbelievable."

Burt said he was sleeping when she called and didn't answer.

FourthMilton's girlfriend told Hovell and police they were driving home to Tuscaloosa on Interstate 20/59 when they decided to stop for matches at the gas station. The friend initially said Milton disappeared while she was inside the store.

But Hovell said two witnesses gave him a different version. They said Milton was begging her girlfriend to get in the car, but the girlfriend was mad and had called her husband to come get her, Hovell said.

and yet according to postherald.com

Milton's friend told him they were driving home on Interstate 20/59 in Milton's Ford Mustang when they exited in Ensley to get a book of matches.

They stopped at an Exxon service station near the exit ramp at 19th Street and Avenue V Ensley. Milton's friend went in to get the matches, but when she returned Milton and her yellow convertible were gone, Hovell said, recounting the story as it was told to him.

And yet, Hovell said Milton used her cell phone twice after she disappeared from the Ensley service station, calling her friend at the gas station to tell her she would return. Thirty minutes after she disappeared, Milton called a friend in Montgomery and said she was lost, Hovell said.

"It all doesn't add up," Hovell said. "I believe she was abducted at that store. Then someone made her call and tell her friend she was coming back."

Milton's friend called her husband, who drove to Ensley and brought her home. When Milton failed to return home Sunday morning, her friends drove back to Ensley to look for her. They filed a police report that night.

Boyfriend got all of these calls at 2-2:30 am and yet he wasn't looking for her the next AM?

SewingDeb
09-01-2005, 11:46 PM

We're still praying for her safe return. Give your son a hug.

Bobbisangel
09-02-2005, 03:19 AM
Who is Andrew...the guy that the police want to talk to? How is he fitting into this picture? Is he someone the girls knew?

When people say one thing and then change their story it really raises red flags. If the girlfriends had an arguement and the one wanted to call her husband to come and get her....just say so. If the one girl went into the store and when she came out Sherry was gone...just say so.

Either of the girls smoke? If so and they needed matches I can see them pulling off and going to a store. One of the girls probably knew where the store was...maybe been there before.

I wonder if the cops have checked Sherry's cell phone records to see who she actually did call and what time the calls came through. Sherry could easily have gotten lost trying to find her way back to the freeway. Happens to me all the time when I go to strange places...seriously. Happened to me in a real rough area of Seattle WA. and even though I had 3 people with me I was scared to death.

I sure hope Sherry is found soon. Any strange fingerprints in her car? I would think if dopers got ahold of Sherry they would have taken her car. Those older Mustangs sell for quite a bit. Even parted out they could make enough to feed their habit a few times.

nanandjim
09-02-2005, 10:17 AM
...Sherry could easily have gotten lost trying to find her way back to the freeway...
It happens to me in my own hometown. I am just thoroughly confused. If in fact the girlfriend wouldn't get back in the car and the gas station was truly open, why didn't Sherry ask the clerk for directions back to the Interstate? I know that is what I would do. Maybe, she thought that she could easily find her way to the Interstate because they are usually right by the gas stations although not always.

I myself get very disoriented during the day. I can well imagine how disoriented you could get at night. :eek:

If she was in a bad section of town and desperate, perhaps, she asked the wrong person for direction. I shudder when I think who is out at that hour.

mmilton
09-02-2005, 07:12 PM
There has not really been a search. The only one searching was Charlie Hovell and now he is gone back to South Alabama. The police in the area (Birmingham) are not doing a thing...Basically they are waiting for her to show up...And the media well they have ran it on a couple of news shows but that is about it. Not much coverage at all...

nanandjim
09-02-2005, 08:27 PM
There has not really been a search. The only one searching was Charlie Hovell and now he is gone back to South Alabama. The police in the area (Birmingham) are not doing a thing...Basically they are waiting for her to show up...And the media well they have ran it on a couple of news shows but that is about it. Not much coverage at all...
Can you contact news media like Nancy Grace and Greta Van Susteran? You could send them emails. I know that the hurricane is taking precedence and Greta is on location covering that. However, Nancy Grace may run something for you.

Bobbisangel
09-03-2005, 01:44 AM

Birmingham PD needs to get off of their azzes and start searching. Can't they see that something has happened to Sherry? Her car was discovered for pity sake. I wonder if they have even gone over the car for evidence? Have you talked to Birmingham PD? If you can't get anywhere with them go to their chief and if you don't make any progress there contact the Attorney General of your state.

Right now the hurricane disaster has 100% news coverage and next week it will be John Roberts appt for the Supreme Court. I think we could do with out watching that all week. He is either accepted or he isn't...they could tell us later. You may not be able to get any news coverage but the darn police are getting paid to do their job. This has to be so frustrating and such a helpless feeling. My heart goes out to you and your little boy.

jannuncutt
09-06-2005, 12:36 PM
There has not really been a search. The only one searching was Charlie Hovell and now he is gone back to South Alabama. The police in the area (Birmingham) are not doing a thing...Basically they are waiting for her to show up...And the media well they have ran it on a couple of news shows but that is about it. Not much coverage at all... Do they tell you why they aren't looking for her? This just makes me sick! :banghead:

bensmom98
09-10-2005, 09:05 PM
Anything new on this?

KatherineQ
09-10-2005, 11:32 PM

There has been a drop in violent crime, since the late 1980's. I think you can look at the stats and find blips here and there, but murders aren't up recently.

Media outlets have realized this is a cash cow for them, and they report every single pretty missing woman in the country. Some show up at a friend's house, some don't reappear, and some are found murdered.

The stats aren't up. Only the media focus is up. So it seems like there is more crime.

mysteriew
09-11-2005, 12:22 AM
Up until Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast, Charlie Hovell spent every day searching the streets of west Birmingham for Sherry Milton, a 26-year-old woman who disappeared there Aug. 14.
Hovell said Milton's adopted parents died four years ago and she became part of his family a family devastated first by her disappearance and then by last week's hurricane.

After Katrina made landfall, Hovell said he went home to be with his wife and daughters in Calvert, a town north of Mobile.

But Hovell said he has not given up his search for Milton. He plans to return to the Birmingham area Friday, he said during a telephone interview.

"I call up there every day," said Hovell, who added that he has friends still searching for Milton while he is away. "But we haven't found one trace of her. It's like she just disappeared off the face of the Earth."

Hovell's daughter Tina Denton, 31, lost her new home in Pascagoula, Miss., and three rental homes to the hurricane. Katrina also destroyed the roof of his 29-year-old daughter Mandy Boswell's home in Hurley, Miss. And his youngest daughter, Kacie Hovell, a 21-year-old student at Tulane University, is looking for another college to attend while the New Orleans campus is closed.
http://www.postherald.com/me090805.shtml

texasgirl
10-14-2005, 11:01 AM
Any new news on this????

texasgirl
10-18-2005, 08:51 AM
http://www.informationbirmingham.com/pressrele/aug05/MISSING%20PERSON243.pdf#search='Sherry%20Milton%2C %20Alabama'

I found this while looking for updates....will post more as I find it!

texasgirl
10-18-2005, 09:00 AM
http://http://www.dps.state.al.us/public/abi/system/missing/details.asp?id=5148&type=Adult

Page on the Alabama Department of Public Safety Website

ShowerSinger
10-18-2005, 11:42 AM
This is such a sad case. The police are moving at a snail's pace, and probably realize she is no longer in this world. Still, there's just so many holes in the stories. You would think this would be a priority case, especially since her car was found, and her cellphone calls, asking for help.

Marisa714
10-18-2005, 04:58 PM
I really wish there was more news on this case, I'd like to know more about this poi too. I feel so awful for her family and friends, especially her son..he must be devastated :-(

Bobbisangel
10-20-2005, 02:44 AM
There has been a drop in violent crime, since the late 1980's. I think you can look at the stats and find blips here and there, but murders aren't up recently.

Media outlets have realized this is a cash cow for them, and they report every single pretty missing woman in the country. Some show up at a friend's house, some don't reappear, and some are found murdered.

The stats aren't up. Only the media focus is up. So it seems like there is more crime.

Sorry, but whoever is doing those stats has their heads up there rears. They just want people to believe that there has been a drop. What I heard the other night was that violent crime is down except for RAPE. Don't believe everything that they throw out there. They want us to believe we live in a safer world now but it is a crook of poop.

ShowerSinger
01-14-2006, 03:22 AM
That phrase always bothers me. Where the h*ll is this dangerous person?
This is so sad. Going out with a friend, to dance...
www.nbc13.com/news/5826029/detail.html

Bobbisangel
01-15-2006, 05:44 AM
I wonder what makes LE think this guy would know where Sherry is? Where did they get info about him after all of this time?

I've always wondered what the real story was with that girlfriend that Sherry was with that night. Her story never did ring true. I also wonder if LE finger printed Sherry's car.

I hope that they put that guy's picture on the media so that someone will identify him. Can't LE run his social security number to see where he works....if he does? Can't they run his name through DMV to see if he has a drivers license and a car? Credit cards? Cell phones? What makes it so hard to find him...I wonder.

If LE had got off of their butts right away they probably could have found Sherry. I wonder if her girlfriend was ever asked to take a lie detector test.
Someone knows where Sherry is or what happened to her darn it. Hopfully they can find this guy and he can shed some light on what happened to her.

It's just so sad how many missing people have just vanished into thin air. It just seems impossible that there are no leads on so many people.

ShowerSinger
03-30-2006, 10:37 PM
It seems as though LE is dragging their feet on this one. It's so sad, given the fact she has a young son wanting his mommy home. Still, nothing. I don't think she's alive, but someone needs to be punished for this crime. I agree, about the girlfriend's story not fully truthful. I think if we prod the Birmingham PD enough, they will get moving.
Prayers for those that love her.

ShowerSinger
09-11-2006, 08:28 PM
Praying for Sherry, her family, and friends. You are remembered in our prayers.

Bobbisangel
09-12-2006, 03:53 AM
I think about Sherry too and wonder when we are ever going to hear anything about her. I still wonder about the story that her friend told and wonder if that was the real story. For Sherry's family's sake I hope this case is resolved one day.

ShowerSinger
05-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Still, nothing. You are not forgotten.

nanandjim
05-13-2007, 07:06 PM
This link has a photo of Sherry at the bottom of the page. I sure hope that they find her.

http://community.dps.state.al.us/Pages/wfAlertPDF.aspx?ID=f8ff2d09-363c-4ba3-b9d3-69ac902fb5eb

Bobbisangel
05-15-2007, 04:16 AM
I haven't forgotten Sherry and wonder what happened to her. I wonder if there were any fingerprints in or on her car? Are they still investigating her being missing or is her case a cold case now? I hope Sherry is found and that this case is resolved. Is there a reward for her?

ShowerSinger
08-08-2007, 02:07 AM
Fingerprints on the car, they named a POI, what's it gonna take? the perp to do something else? I am disappointed in the progress of this one. I don't understand why they have just filed it on the backlog. Prayers for the people who love Sherry. Especially her son!

TWO YEARS AGO...... Precious son left wondering.....
YET nothing...even though BPD says they are looking for a POI?????

chicoliving
05-19-2008, 04:19 PM
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) - Homicide investigators and the Jefferson County Coroner's Recovery Team are using heavy equipment today to dig for a body behind a boarded up house in Birmingham.

Authorities said investigators are acting on a recent tip they received.

http://www.waff.com/Global/story.asp?S=8346804

nanandjim
05-19-2008, 07:02 PM
Here's another article about Sherry:

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2008/05/update_dig_ends_for_day_cadave.html

There's also a map and address of the house included.

I am still totally confused as to what happened to her that night. I think that her friend knows more than she is saying. She lied to police, IMO. When you lie, you are hiding something.

Bobbisangel
05-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Here's another article about Sherry:

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2008/05/update_dig_ends_for_day_cadave.html

There's also a map and address of the house included.

I am still totally confused as to what happened to her that night. I think that her friend knows more than she is saying. She lied to police, IMO. When you lie, you are hiding something.

I hope that they find Sherry there. I agree that her friend knows more then she told LE. If this is true...I hope that supposed friend has trouble sleeping at night. I never did understand why she called someone to come after her leaving Sherry to find her way home alone. I wonder who that house belongs to.

I wonder if Sherry didn't get lost and just rolled her window down to ask someone directions and something happened to her. From what I remember the area she was in wasn't a good area.

texasgirl
05-22-2008, 10:18 PM
I was just thinking of Sherry and planned on bumping her thread. I'm glad to see that at least "something" is going on in the search for her. Her poor family (and especially her son) need closure!

pinkzebra
09-13-2012, 06:20 AM
Found and intersting link while looking for an update on Sherry. I still can't believe that the BPD hardly investigated this. Wait, yes I can. I wish she would be found. This story just haunts me, I guess because I'm from Huntsville and my brother lives in Birmingham. http://www.truecrimediva.com/2012/09/where-is-sherry-ann-milton-does-her.html

Hvnzfire
03-04-2014, 03:08 AM
Sherry you have not been forgotten and I think it is terrible how this case has been worked.