PDA

View Full Version : CA CA - Patrick Kim McDermott, 48, San Pedro, 2005 (Olivia Newton John's lover)

mindi77
08-22-2005, 04:39 AM
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/story_pages/showbiz/showbiz2.shtml

GREASE star Olivia Newton-John's long-term lover has VANISHED during a boat trip—and officials say he may have faked his own death.

Singer Olivia, 56, fears Patrick Kim McDermott—her boyfriend of nine years—is dead after he failed to come home from a fishing expedition nearly TWO MONTHS ago.

She clings to the hope that he is still alive because his body has not been found. And the uncertainty is making her frantic—especially as coast guards won't rule out the possibility that the 47-year-old American dad of one has faked his death and done a runner.

More at the link

Jovin
08-22-2005, 05:18 AM
I haven't heard of this before, but I'm not up on all the entertainment news.
What an awful time she's had, in her personal life, anyway.

Bobbisangel
08-22-2005, 05:27 AM
I wonder why LE suppects that he might have faked his own death. There doesn't seem to be any reason for him to do that and he does have a teenage son. I'm curious to what the others on the boat had to say.

No one on the boat notified the Coast Guard that he was missing? The article says that the Coast Guard was called by family when he didn't show up for a family event a few days later. Sounds suspious to me but not like he faked his own death. Maybe foul play?

emma l
08-22-2005, 07:28 AM
http://www.lapdonline.org/press_releases/news_view.php?id=106
August 10, 2005

LAPD and Coast Guard Looking For Missing Man

Los Angeles: Coast Guard Investigative Service is asking for the public’s assistance in locating 48-year-old Patrick Kim McDermott, of Van Nuys, who has been missing since July 1, 2005.

According to investigators, McDermott told his friends that he was going on an overnight fishing trip out of the city of San Pedro and would be returning on the evening of July 1, 2005. On July 6, McDermott failed to show up at a family event and his family became concerned. On July 11, his family began a search and discovered his car in the parking lot of the 22nd Street Marina in San Pedro. His personal items were also found inside the fishing boat. McDermott’s family contacted the Coast Guard immediately after this discovery.

The investigation revealed that Mc Dermott was last seen aboard a sport fishing vessel which departed out of the San Pedro Harbor on June 30, 2005.

The Los Angeles Police Department’s Missing Persons Unit is assisting Coast Guard Investigators.

Anyone with information is asked to call Coast Guard Investigator Dennis Nebrich at 310-732-7344. On weekends and during off-hours, call the 24-hour toll free number at the Detective Information Desk at 1-877-LAWFULL (1-877-529-3855).

KatherineQ
08-22-2005, 09:41 AM
Sounds like he fell or was pushed off the fishing boat.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/21/olivia.missing/index.html

NewMom2003
08-22-2005, 09:49 AM
I wonder why this article has a picture of Olivia rather than him since HE is the one who's missing? :waitasec: He's been missing since the end of June and this is the first I've heard of it. Interesting.

jaybird
08-22-2005, 09:52 AM
It is interesting. I'd always heard she was a lesbian....hmm. I hope they find him!

mysteriew
08-22-2005, 03:59 PM
With few clues, however, authorities are also not sure if Patrick Kim McDermott did not meet a grisly end on an overnight fishing expedition off the coast of California.

The last time McDermott, who was in a nine-year relationship with Newton-John, was seen was when he boarded an overnight fishing vessel on June 30 at San Pedro Harbour, south of Los Angeles.

The 48-year-old boarded alone, but the vessel was packed with crew and other anglers, who did not know McDermott and who were all looking forward to 24 hours of fishing.

Despite interviews with the crew and numerous anglers aboard the boat after McDermott's family declared him missing on July 11, authorities have no substantial leads.

Authorities are not sure if McDermott walked off the boat when it docked at San Pedro on July 1 or whether he jumped from the boat, was pushed or vanished by other means while at sea.

McDermott's personal items, such as a backpack and fishing gear, were left on the boat. His car also remained in the parking lot near the San Pedro marina until it was found by concerned family members on July 11.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=6&ObjectID=10341975

mysteriew
08-22-2005, 04:09 PM
Ok, this is pretty odd. Newton-John supposedly had an intense and committed relationship with the man. He goes to an overnight fishing trip on 06-30. On 07-06 "family" became concerned when he didn't show up for a "family" (which includes his 15 yo son) gathering. His car was found in the parking lot on 07-11 and the "family" then reported him missing.
So no one apparently missed him between 07-01 when he would have been expected to get off the boat and 07-06 when he missed the family gathering.

concernedperson
08-22-2005, 06:25 PM
This is an updated article with a pic of both of them saying it is recent photo.

http://www.ajc.com/hp/content/shared-gen/ap/Movies/Olivia_Newton_John_Missing_boyfriend.html

lookieloo
08-22-2005, 09:16 PM
On Rita Cosby just now she asked what I wondered: why did it take so long for this guy to be noticed and reported missing?? Found out Olivia was in AU. and said she didn't know (still strange - she wasn't concerned after not hearing from him for a few days?) and it was his ex-wife who finally reported him missing 11 days later. There was a sighting of him getting off the boat. Wallet left on the boat. Probably Greta will have more at 10, but I'm not waiting up!

Shadow205
08-23-2005, 07:56 AM
Ok, this is pretty odd. Newton-John supposedly had an intense and committed relationship with the man. He goes to an overnight fishing trip on 06-30. On 07-06 "family" became concerned when he didn't show up for a "family" (which includes his 15 yo son) gathering. His car was found in the parking lot on 07-11 and the "family" then reported him missing.
So no one apparently missed him between 07-01 when he would have been expected to get off the boat and 07-06 when he missed the family gathering.

Hmmmmm....something really doesn't sound right with this. Even after he doesn't show up for the family gathering on 07-06, he is not reported missing until his car is found on 07-11. I wonder if it was common for him to go off by himself for days at a time without letting anyone know? I would also like to know if he frequently went on these fishing trips or if this was his first.

SewingDeb
08-23-2005, 08:24 AM

This is very odd! I hope if I ever go missing that I will be missed long before that much time has passed, especially if I am in a long term relationship.

ketel0ne
08-23-2005, 04:14 PM
From the The Courier (http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,16336670%255E954,00.html)

McDermott, a photographer, left on an overnight fishing trip but never returned, sparking fears he has died or may even have faked his own death.

Yesterday US Coast Guard Commander Danny Phee told The Courier-Mail McDermott’s ex-wife telephoned to report him missing.

“They found a backpack on board,” Commander McPhee said.
First time I had seen that as a possibility in this case.

T'sNana
08-23-2005, 06:07 PM
Wow!!! I know if my husband/boyfriend were missing...I would have notified LE ASAP!!! Sheesh...what's going on with people?!! :doh:

englishleigh
08-23-2005, 06:13 PM
I wonder if he wanted to end the relationship with ONJ but just was afraid of repercussions or problems about it? Seems an extreme way to do it, though. I really hope this is all it is.

kez
08-23-2005, 06:27 PM
Olivia NJ was in Australia at the time he went missing, I think it was the opening of her new business venture here. I don't know whether she knew straight away either. She's got a PI that she hired looking for him. It sounds like she's still over here, but the news reports are a bit unclear on that. Here's one of the latest nws reports from here:
http://entertainment.news.com.au/story/0,10221,16355674-7484,00.html

Another news story with more info, apparently he was seen leaving the boat when it docked.
http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,16367078%255E1702,00.html

Trino
08-23-2005, 07:36 PM
One interesting item is the missing cash. Wallet, credit cards, coins all there but no cash.

Sassygerl
08-23-2005, 07:43 PM
It was said that it was his ex who reported him missing 5 days after he was to have returned, not Olivia. He was having financial difficulties as well as some problems with his ex and alimony. (On Abrams I think!)

Sounds fishy to me!

Trino
08-23-2005, 07:47 PM
Do you think he committed suicide? Why was the cash gone?

mysteriew
08-24-2005, 01:53 PM
John's missing boyfriend has a history of violence, abuse and welshing on childcare payments.

Just weeks before disappearing, Patrick McDermott – who vanished after he went on a July 1 overnight fishing trip off the California coast – was ordered by a court to pay outstanding child maintenance payments.

McDermott also has a long-standing bitter custody dispute with his ex-wife, CSI actress Yvette Nipa, over their son Chance and was accused of assaulting and abusing her.
http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,16370666%255E954,00.html

The 48-year-old photographer also holds a $132,000 life insurance policy that will be paid out to his son if he dies or is presumed dead.
http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story.jsp?sectionid=1260&storyid=3667168

Trino
08-24-2005, 04:25 PM
Just heard an "inkling" on talk radio asking/suggesting about ONJ. Hmmmmm.

SpongeBathHotPants
08-24-2005, 05:16 PM
OY!!! If this doesn't scream "starting a new life under a fake name" I don't know what does. I just wonder how much info ONJ has. IMO, if I were famous and my long time BF disappeared I would be on every TV show, Radio anything and use my celebrity to find him and I have only heard about this HERE. Is it just me or does this seem fishy, get it fishy? :D

Juliana
08-24-2005, 05:28 PM
OY!!! If this doesn't scream "starting a new life under a fake name" I don't know what does. I just wonder how much info ONJ has. IMO, if I were famous and my long time BF disappeared I would be on every TV show, Radio anything and use my celebrity to find him and I have only heard about this HERE. Is it just me or does this seem fishy, get it fishy? :D

It is kind of fishy! I found an article talking about how grieving ONJ is NOW cancelling appearances in the US to promote her new album being released soon. He's been missing since June. Why is she just now cancelling appearances now that the news is out? I'm sure those appearances have been scheduled for a while. Just seems strange to me. I get the impression that ONJ didn't want the news to get out, and now that it is, she's cancelling her appearances. Hmmm. No offense to ONJ or to her fans, but is just seems strange.

Bobbisangel
08-24-2005, 10:03 PM
This is a strange case. Olivia said that she hasn't come forward out of respect for his family. I don't know when she found out that he was missing. She may have known from the beginning but didn't come forward until recently.

I don't understand how he could be faking his own death. He would have had to had a way to get off the boat somewhere and it didn't dock anywhere. He paid his food bill in the galley when they were on the way home and 3 miles from docking. If he was going to fake his own death he wouldn't have waited till he was that close to home I wouldn't think anyway.

He may not have had any cash with him after he paid his food bill or he could have paid that with a debit/credit card. Now days there are a lot of people who don't carry any cash.

It was just a bunch of guys going fishing on a chartered boat to my knowledge. Maybe some of the guys were buddys but I don't think he knew the other fishermen so no one really paid any attention to him. It is my understanding that no one really knows if he got off the boat or not but they do know that he left his backpack behind with his license, credit cards, passport, etc in it. His car was still in the parking lot.

Truly a puzzle. Don't know why anyone would want to do him harm on the boat as he didn't seem to know anyone....if he fell or jumped overboard it had to have been within 3 miles of docking back at home. If he faked his own death he had to have a way to get off the boat and to get somewhere else.

SewingDeb
08-24-2005, 10:18 PM
The word is that at least two witnesses saw him disembark with the rest. Where he went after that is a mystery.

Lauren
08-24-2005, 10:27 PM
You would have thought with her celebrity she could get more attention for his case. odd indeed.

Thanks for reading my post.;)

SewingDeb
08-24-2005, 10:41 PM
Apparently she chose not to. Said out of respect for his family.

kez
08-24-2005, 11:00 PM
I'm also curious why it's taken so long for it to become public. I wonder if he has developed mental issues [depression or something?] and they thought they could find him quickly without it becoming public?

There are so many missing persons cases screaming for publicity, yet here is one that involves another celebrity and it appears to have been kept quiet deliberately. :confused:

Cancelling tours/appearances etc this late could be that they thought it would be a non issue by now? It's not like she has been on tv begging for info [well, not that I've seen here in Oz] which I would be if my long term BF suddenly vanished.

T'is all very strange.

mysteriew
08-24-2005, 11:53 PM
Olivia Newton John has reportedly hired a private detective to find her missing lover.

The Coast Guard is currently investigating McDermott's disappearance and foul play has not been ruled out.

Meanwhile, Olivia is being comforted at by her daughter, Chloe Lattanzi, at her Californian ranch.

http://people.monstersandcritics.com/article_1043429.php/Olivia_Newton_John_reportedly_hires_private_detect ive_to_find_missing_partner

mysteriew
08-24-2005, 11:58 PM
The disappearance case of Olivia Newton-John’s long-time boyfriend keeps getting stranger. Patrick McDermott vanished on an overnight fishing trip almost eight weeks ago, stumping authorities. His ex-wife reported him missing almost two weeks later after he didn’t show up at a family party and she found his car. But why did it take so long for Newton-John to notice he was gone?

MSNBC-TV’s Dan Abrams talks to Louise Pennell, Foreign Correspondent for Seven Network Australia, who has been closely following the case. Frank Liversedge, the manager of the 22nd Street Landing where McDermott's charter boat set sail, also joins the show with information.
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9068728/

blueclouds
08-25-2005, 12:14 AM
A "soul mate"; a "dear friend"; a 9 year common law husband/lover.........

I've never gone for more than 24 hours without talking with my husband EVER. NEVER. Unless he's in South Pole and I'm in the North Pole without any telephones, to wait more than 2 weeks and she's not even the one to call in the dissappearance????

One of two things: They either had a huge argument and was "normal" not to talk for days orrrrrrrrrrrrr Olivia knows he planned his disapperance.

Very very strange. very.

mysteriew
08-25-2005, 12:20 AM
I have read they had an "intense" relationship. I do wonder if maybe they argued and then she left for Austrailia and he to go to the fishing trip. Maybe he was in the habit of "pouting" and she may have thought he would show up when he had cooled down or they may have actually separated. Still after a couple of weeks when he didn't show up anywhere else- you would think she would have been concerned.

mysteriew
08-25-2005, 04:14 PM
THIS is actress Yvette Nipar, the former wife of Olivia Newton-John's missing lover Patrick McDermott and the mother of his 15-year-old son.

It was Ms Nipar who reported him missing when he failed to turn up to a family function five days after he went on an overnight fishing trip.

But speculation was growing yesterday that it was their troublesome relationship that may have driven Mr McDermott to fake his disappearance.

While crew aboard the charter boat Freedom have told police they have no recollection of seeing him leave the boat, other customers aboard the fishing vessel have told police they saw him walk off the boat when it reached port.
http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story.jsp?sectionid=1260&storyid=3661883

"There have been a couple of leads generated by all the press and we're following up on those," U.S. Coast Guard Chief Warrant Officer William Epperson said.
http://www.curlio.com/new_showarticle.php?id=7446

McDermott's imperfect past--a bankruptcy, outstanding child-support payments, allegations of "abusive" behavior--is under the microscope as the search for Newton-John's "dear friend" continues.
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/eo/20050825/en_celeb_eo/17234

OLIVIA Newton-John's failure to tell authorities her boyfriend of nine years was missing is under investigation.

The US coastguard told The Daily Telegraph Newton-John's failure to raise the alarm was "one of the things we are looking into".

"As to why she didn't report it - we don't know," Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer Nathan Henise said yesterday.

Another coastguard official, Chief Petty Officer Scott Epperson, also confirmed yesterday that "the investigators are looking into all aspects of this - the relationships, friendships and stuff like that are all part of the investigation".
http://www.sundaytimes.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,16389908%255E10431,00.html

BillyGoatGruff
08-25-2005, 04:23 PM
A "soul mate"; a "dear friend"; a 9 year common law husband/lover.........

I've never gone for more than 24 hours without talking with my husband EVER. NEVER. Unless he's in South Pole and I'm in the North Pole without any telephones, to wait more than 2 weeks and she's not even the one to call in the dissappearance????

One of two things: They either had a huge argument and was "normal" not to talk for days orrrrrrrrrrrrr Olivia knows he planned his disapperance.

Very very strange. very.
Well, she was in Australia on business during the time he disappeared. And I suspect cell phones, marvelous as they are, do have their limitations. And for all we know they had a lassiez faire attitude towards one another's private lives, especially after nine years.

Amity
08-25-2005, 11:07 PM
Hello,

I wrote a very lengthy post and when I hit the post button, it disappeared.
I will try to remember what I wrote but give you the abbreviated version.

I was discussing this scenario with my husband tonight (my husband writes fictional suspense stories for a small newspaper) and he threw out a theory that at first I found absurd but then I thought about WS and wanted to share it here with you all to see what you thought.

He and first wife, married with son.
First wife catches him in the act but not with a woman......with another man.
Divorce.
He has financial troubles and now x-wife is tired of waiting for her child support payments and threatens to expose him and his true lifestyle if he doesn't pay up.

In the meantime, for nine years he's been able to create this "loving committed relationship" facade with ONJ.

Did ONJ know the truth about his sexual orientation?
Did she help him with his facade?
My husband and I both have read everything we can get our hands on about this story and not once have I read that ONJ is in love with him or refers to him in a 'committed relationship' manner.

We've gone on fishing trips up the coast of Calif.
We never considered taking our passports.
His passport was found among his private belongings.
Why take a passport on a 24 hour fishing trip?

Why was it x-wife who reported him missing?
Did he sneak off the boat and go to see x-wife to beg her not to reveal the truth and things got out of hand....does x-wife know where he is?

For business trips my husband and myself have had to leave for extended periods of time.
With meetings, appointments, and all that a business trip entails, sometimes we wouldn't get to make a call to the other until late in the evening.
Even if it was just to say "Good-night, I love you", we had contact in some form daily.
ONJ and boyfriend, with their 9-year loving committed relationship, it didn't cause her to wonder why she hadn't heard from him?

If he was having financial problems, why didn't ONJ offer one of her financial advisors to help boyfriend get things squared away.
Maybe get him help for a possible addiction to spending, maybe gambling.

My husband hasn't gotten as far as thinking what might have happened to the boyfriend....doesn't know if boyfriend decided to end it knowing the insurance policy will go to the son, or leave and start a new life before he was exposed.
But my husband does say there is a lot more than just financial baggage behind the missing boyfriend.

Thank you for taking the time to read this....much appreciated.

mysteriew
08-25-2005, 11:11 PM
Well, she was in Australia on business during the time he disappeared. And I suspect cell phones, marvelous as they are, do have their limitations. And for all we know they had a lassiez faire attitude towards one another's private lives, especially after nine years.

Have you seen anywhere, what date she left to go to Austrailia?

Bobbisangel
08-26-2005, 02:48 AM
We have no idea when Olivia actually found out that he was missing. She has probably known either right before or right after the ex and the son found out. She said that she didn't come forward out of respect for his family. Probably meaning his parents or siblings and his son. With all of the attention the case has gotten since Olivia came forward I'll bet she wishes she had done it earlier.

Some people on the ship said that McDermott was talking about his financial straights and owing child support but his problems are no different than many other peoples problems. He only had three more years of child support and if his income had dropped he could always go back to court and get the child support lowered. If a judge had told him he had to pay his back support by a certain date and he didn't have the money he could have hopped a plane and gone to Australia and stayed with Olivia. She probably has a house there.

I don't know, this case is a real puzzle. Hope something breaks loose soon.

mysteriew
08-26-2005, 02:50 AM
I keep seeing she was in Austrailia, but I don't see anywhere when she left to go to Austrailia.

kez
08-26-2005, 05:39 AM

Hi Mysteriew,
I've narrowed it down a little to these dates going by news articles I found.

http://www.onlyolivia.com/memorabilia/mags/2005/050619au_herald-sun.html
19 June 2005 still in USA
http://www.onlyolivia.com/memorabilia/mags/2005/050801au_who_3.html
1st August 2005 in Australia

National Tree day here was on 31st July,so she left the US sometime after 19 June 2005 & arrived in Aust sometime before the end of July. The article above has a print date of 28th July & Tree day for schools is the 29th. According to some articles I've read, she was here in Australia at the time he went missing and that she then flew home. That's all I could narrow it down to at the moment, hope this helps.

Gaia Spa & Retreat http://www.gaiaretreat.com.au/home.htm opened in February 2005.[ source Byron Shire Echo January 25, 2005 ]

mysteriew
08-26-2005, 09:53 AM
Hi Mysteriew,
I've narrowed it down a little to these dates going by news articles I found.

http://www.onlyolivia.com/memorabilia/mags/2005/050619au_herald-sun.html
19 June 2005 still in USA
http://www.onlyolivia.com/memorabilia/mags/2005/050801au_who_3.html
1st August 2005 in Australia

National Tree day here was on 31st July,so she left the US sometime after 19 June 2005 & arrived in Aust sometime before the end of July. The article above has a print date of 28th July & Tree day for schools is the 29th. According to some articles I've read, she was here in Australia at the time he went missing and that she then flew home. That's all I could narrow it down to at the moment, hope this helps.

Gaia Spa & Retreat http://www.gaiaretreat.com.au/home.htm opened in February 2005.[ source Byron Shire Echo January 25, 2005 ]

Great Kez that helps a lot. Are you from Au? Can you tell us the buzz going on there? And welcome to WS. It is always nice to get new posters contributing as it gives us another point of view (or sometimes, someone new to agree with us, LOL).

kez
08-26-2005, 10:38 AM
Great Kez that helps a lot. Are you from Au? Can you tell us the buzz going on there? And welcome to WS. It is always nice to get new posters contributing as it gives us another point of view (or sometimes, someone new to agree with us, LOL).

Hi Mysteriew, Thanks :-) Yep, I'm another lurking aussie, just when you think you've met us all, another one pops out of the woodwork :D

I don't think we've had much more info than over there, although we seem to be getting the information earlier. I did hear on a news story that Olivia was over here at the time to be with a friend involved in a car accident, but I haven't seen that in the print/web media so far.

Everyone here seems to be running with the theory that he has done a runner due to his personal situation and a bit gobsmacked that it took her so long to even make a statement.

heh. I spoke too soon, speaking of which, I just found this article which says she's being questioned about why she didn't report him missing.
http://entertainment.news.com.au/story/0,10221,16389908-7484,00.html

OLIVIA Newton-John's failure to tell authorities her boyfriend of nine years was missing is under investigation.

The US coastguard told The Daily Telegraph Newton-John's failure to raise the alarm was "one of the things we are looking into".

CaliKid
08-26-2005, 04:00 PM
Well, one reason for the passport- has he ever lived with ONJ in Australia?

mysteriew
08-26-2005, 04:53 PM
Ms Newton-John has issued an appeal for information on his whereabouts.

"For those of us who know and love him, it has been a truly heartbreaking experience and we have chosen to deal with it privately," said the star of 1978 musical film Grease.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4183010.stm

FEARS that Olivia Newton John's boyfriend was lost at sea resurfaced yesterday when a fisherman claimed the photographer vanished four hours into the overnight boat trip.

Tony Mayo said he had befriended Patrick McDermott on the June 30 fishing trip and then Mr McDermott went missing.

"He was a cool cat," Mr Mayo said. "I remember he had a couple of good jokes during the safety speech and just seemed a nice guy."

Mr Mayo said he began talking to Mr McDermott before the boat, Freedom, even left California's San Pedro port at 10pm on June 30 for the overnight fishing trip.

http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,16399588%255E954,00.html

mysteriew
08-26-2005, 04:57 PM
Trapped somewhere between grief and hope, Olivia Newton-John is in hiding and in despair, contemplating the unknowable and the unthinkable. If Patrick McDermott has died, she does not know how or when or where. If he has disappeared, she apparently does not know why.

And so, faced with uncertainty and fear, she has done what she did the last time those two demons invaded: summoned Gavin de Becker to her side.

De Becker is the man Hollywood turns to when life goes bad, and when it did so for Newton-John 22 years ago he did what he does best: saving her from a stalker who wished her harm. Today he is back, with the job of answering the myriad questions that cloud the disappearance of McDermott, Newton-John's partner of nine years.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/people/man-overboard/2005/08/26/1124563023445.html

Mabel
08-26-2005, 05:01 PM
......................when a fisherman claimed the photographer vanished four hours into the overnight boat trip.

So this fisherman noticed 4 hours into the trip that McDermott was missing but didn't say anything? What did he think happened to him?

mysteriew
08-26-2005, 05:39 PM
So this fisherman noticed 4 hours into the trip that McDermott was missing but didn't say anything? What did he think happened to him?

He stated that he thought maybe the guy got seasick or something. Still for him to start talking out of the blue, it is hard to judge what is going on.
If he wasn't seen after 4 hrs. into the trip, but still his bill got paid- that kinda puts a more sinister aura to this disappearance.
They are now backing off that McDermott was seen after the boat docked. They say his bill was paid, but no one actually remembers seeing him.

Mabel
08-26-2005, 05:47 PM
I should read back before I ask this, but ......

Do we know how big a boat this was or how many people were on board? It seems that there must have been quite a few if someone could go missing and not be noticed.

concernedperson
08-26-2005, 05:55 PM

Do we know how big a boat this was or how many people were on board? It seems that there must have been quite a few if someone could go missing and not be noticed.

I remember hearing it was about 23 people on board. The size of the boat is more difficult to tell.....it was definitely a fishing boat. Maybe, 75 feet or so to be able to sleep that many people. This wasn't a luxury looking ship. It would have to be a bunk-up situation.

mysteriew
08-26-2005, 06:00 PM
I remember hearing it was about 23 people on board. The size of the boat is more difficult to tell.....it was definitely a fishing boat. Maybe, 75 feet or so to be able to sleep that many people. This wasn't a luxury looking ship. It would have to be a bunk-up situation.

Have you seen anything about how many employees were on board? You would think they would be checking on the passengers periodically and would notice if one went missing.

concernedperson
08-26-2005, 06:05 PM
Have you seen anything about how many employees were on board? You would think they would be checking on the passengers periodically and would notice if one went missing.

No, that little factoid isn't showing up anywhere. The only reference to the company is that according to their insurance regs when they find someone's belongings they have to secure them in a locker until they are claimed. So, they were fairly recently released.

BillyGoatGruff
08-26-2005, 06:42 PM
Her Press Agent on the Today show said something about her being in Australia to open a new business (I have no idea what) during the time of the disappearance.

Amity
08-26-2005, 11:03 PM
As I was flipping through the channels today (sorry, don't remember which channel I landed on) I heard a TH say that the boat can sleep 45 people in stacked bunks that are very, very cramped because they are stacked 4-high.
I didn't not get get to the channel fast enough if they had stated the actual size/dimensions of the boat.

Trino
08-26-2005, 11:04 PM
A few days ago a well-known Hollywood informant said that ONJ has homes all over the place. He did not elaborate.

Amity
08-26-2005, 11:14 PM
Well, one reason for the passport- has he ever lived with ONJ in Australia?
Could go along with the theory that they had not been getting along or had split up with ONJ and was maybe going to Aus after the fishing trip to try to win her back?
Don't mind me....I'm just throwing out any idea that pops in my head. :confused:

mysteriew
08-26-2005, 11:50 PM
I wondered how much cash he might have been carrying on this trip. And if his cash was found. If the cash is missing that could point to someone on the boat.
But, I still can't get past the fact that someone paid for his trip after they docked-but no one seems to know for sure who paid for it.

SieSie
08-29-2005, 12:16 AM
I wondered how much cash he might have been carrying on this trip. And if his cash was found. If the cash is missing that could point to someone on the boat.
But, I still can't get past the fact that someone paid for his trip after they docked-but no one seems to know for sure who paid for it.

I'm not buying the guy's story that he went missing 4 hours into the trip, because if the bill was paid AFTER the fishing trip, then he must've still been around to pay the bill. I think it's more likely that the others who say they saw him leaving the boat after it docked is probably more accurate. Sounds to me like someone wanting to appear dead/missing to get out of debts and other problems.

It sure is strange that ONJ didn't report him missing, but as others said, maybe they had an open arrangement with him doing his stuff and her doing hers and only catching up with each other when it suited them both. Who knows. Definitely sounds fishy, though.

Bobbisangel
08-29-2005, 02:01 AM
Ms Newton-John has issued an appeal for information on his whereabouts.

"For those of us who know and love him, it has been a truly heartbreaking experience and we have chosen to deal with it privately," said the star of 1978 musical film Grease.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4183010.stm

FEARS that Olivia Newton John's boyfriend was lost at sea resurfaced yesterday when a fisherman claimed the photographer vanished four hours into the overnight boat trip.

Tony Mayo said he had befriended Patrick McDermott on the June 30 fishing trip and then Mr McDermott went missing.

"He was a cool cat," Mr Mayo said. "I remember he had a couple of good jokes during the safety speech and just seemed a nice guy."

Mr Mayo said he began talking to Mr McDermott before the boat, Freedom, even left California's San Pedro port at 10pm on June 30 for the overnight fishing trip.

http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,16399588%255E954,00.html

This guy knows that someone went missing 4 hours into the fishing trip and he keeps the info to himself until recently? Where did he think McDermott had gone...in the middle of the ocean????? The galley chief says that McDermott paid his bill when they were 3 miles from shore heading home. How did he pay his bill if he went missing off the boat 4 hours after they left shore? I wonder if he paid with a credit card. You would think the chief would remember what he looked like as there weren't that many people on board. McDermott looks like he is a mixed nationality to me...so he isn't so generic that he would just fade into a crowd.

Linda7NJ
08-29-2005, 09:01 AM
Maybe he's a drug addict? Violent, abusive, has no money ONJ doesn't report him missing because it's not the first time he "disappeared" for days but when days turned into weeks ....missing & on a binge?:waitasec:

Hmmmmmmmmmm

aussieblue
08-29-2005, 03:42 PM
Maybe he's a drug addict? Violent, abusive, has no money ONJ doesn't report him missing because it's not the first time he "disappeared" for days but when days turned into weeks ....missing & on a binge?:waitasec:

Hmmmmmmmmmm

ONJ wasnt even in the USA when he went missing, she was home here in aussieland
PLUS
They were no longer an ITEM/couple, just good friends, whom she states she loves dearly.

heres a link ..... this article isnt totally accurate because ONJ stated that she has spoken to BUT had not seen him for a couple of months (that was on our radio here)

http://news.ninemsn.com/article.aspx?id=59248

Olivia Newton-John had not spoken to her missing boyfriend Patrick McDermott for several months before he disappeared, according to a report in a British newspaper.

The Daily Telegraph said friends of the couple believed the pair "had drifted apart" recently and were no longer an item when he left on a fishing trip on July 1, the last time he was seen.

Newton-John, who the newspaper said was resting at the Gaia health spa near her home in Byron Bay, was not the first to report McDermott missing, sparking speculation about the state of their relationship.

~aussieblue

Casshew
08-30-2005, 12:41 AM
Olivia and missing boyfriend 'had split'

Olivia Newton-John had not spoken to her missing boyfriend Patrick McDermott for several months before he disappeared, according to a report in a British newspaper. The Daily Telegraph said friends of the couple believed the pair "had drifted apart" recently and were no longer an item when he left on a fishing trip on July 1, the last time he was seen.

Newton-John, who the newspaper said was resting at the Gaia health spa near her home in Byron Bay, was not the first to report McDermott missing, sparking speculation about the state of their relationship.

Meanwhile, the crew of a boat carrying McDermott have said they realised McDermott was missing while the vessel was still at sea, a fisherman who was aboard has claimed.

The claim contradicts the version of events given by Frank Liversedge, who oversees the vessel, Freedom.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=59248

Casshew
08-30-2005, 12:43 AM
Olivia Newton-John's boyfriend owed child support

The missing boyfriend of singer Olivia Newton-John had filed for bankruptcy in 2000 and was embroiled in a legal dispute over child support, court documents show.

Patrick Kim McDermott, 48, was taken to court this spring by his ex-wife over late child support payments for their 13-year-old son, according to the documents.

"That's part of their investigation. Until the investigation is concluded, we can't really say anything about his (financial) situation," Henise said.

According to a 1994 divorce filing, McDermott owed $800 a month in child support for his son, and as recently as April was ordered by a court to make all outstanding payments.

http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/news/celebrity/bal-artslife-onj0822,0,342785.story?coll=mmx-home_bottom_hedsh2o

fran
08-30-2005, 08:31 AM
Apparently, it was not unusual for this man to take these fishing trips. The difference this time is that he usually told his neighbors he was going and then he would bring them fresh cleaned fish when he returned. This time, he didn't tell his neighbors he was leaving, and the crew of the fishing vessel say he didn't have the fish he caught cleaned.

One way or the other, IMO, this disappearance appears to be self imposed. He was at the end of his rope, facing serious consequences for not paying his court ordered child support. He used to make a six figure salary but it appears he'd not been able to do that for a number of years.

I don't know if he managed to get somewhere else from the boat or jumped over-board. Hope the family gets an answer.

JMHO
fran

Bobbisangel
08-31-2005, 03:46 AM
[QUOTE=Casshew]Olivia and missing boyfriend 'had split'

Olivia Newton-John had not spoken to her missing boyfriend Patrick McDermott for several months before he disappeared, according to a report in a British newspaper. The Daily Telegraph said friends of the couple believed the pair "had drifted apart" recently and were no longer an item when he left on a fishing trip on July 1, the last time he was seen.

Meanwhile, the crew of a boat carrying McDermott have said they realised McDermott was missing while the vessel was still at sea, a fisherman who was aboard has claimed.

It makes sense that Olivia didn't report him missing or notify the media right away if they weren't a couple any more. She probably didn't even know until something showed up in the papers. She said she didn't come forward "out of respect for the family" and that makes perfect sense now.

The crew on the boat say that they knew McDermott was missing while the vessel was still at sea????? If they knew (which I doubt) then why didn't they say anything to anyone while at sea or when they docked? That doesn't make any sense at all.

LinasK
08-31-2005, 04:58 AM
McDermott looks like he is a mixed nationality to me...so he isn't so generic that he would just fade into a crowd.
I agree, he's got an Irish name, but by the looks of him, I would've guessed Japanese...

royalpurple209
08-31-2005, 07:06 PM
Evidence points to suicide

http://www.smh.com.au/news/people/evidence-points-to-suicide/2005/08/27/1124563064209.html

Olivia's partner lost at sea - crew

http://www.smh.com.au/news/people/olivias-partner-lost-at-sea--crew/2005/08/28/1125167548654.html

Bobbisangel
08-31-2005, 07:14 PM
Evidence points to suicide

http://www.smh.com.au/news/people/evidence-points-to-suicide/2005/08/27/1124563064209.html

Did they find some evidence? What was it and where did they find it? I don't believe he committed suicide because he paid the galley bill when they were 3 miles from shore...heading back in. If he were going to commit suicide wouldn't he have done it when they were way out in the ocean?

His fanny pack was left on the boat though with everything important still in it and his car was in the parking lot. Nothing about this case makes sense to me.

bensmom98
09-08-2005, 07:14 PM
Any updates?

MrsMush99
09-08-2005, 07:32 PM
Nothing. Just Hurricane coverage. I haven't heard a word about this, or the missing groom since the hurricane.

mysteriew
09-09-2005, 03:52 PM
STILL grieving at the mysterious disappearance of her partner, Olivia Newton-John yesterday emerged from her self-imposed seclusion.

The Australian singer was seen leaving the Malibu Urgent Health Centre, near her US ranch, with her daughter Chloe Lattanzi.

It is the first time Newton-John has been seen in public since the disappearance of her long-term boyfriend, Patrick McDermott, made headlines around the world last month.

http://www.sundaytimes.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,16543236%255E10431,00.html

kabokun
10-09-2005, 09:09 PM
I agree, he's got an Irish name, but by the looks of him, I would've guessed Japanese...
Kim, his middle name must've been taken from his Korean last name. It is pronounced like Kin, which means "gold." Kim is a very common name in Korea. Korean site says he is of Korean origin. I suspect he was either adopted or half Korean.:twocents:

kabokun
10-09-2005, 09:21 PM

I've been on similar fishing trips myself and 22 people on this boat is very very light load.
Here is the link.
http://www.22ndstreet.com/pages/freedom.php
If someone were to jump overboard in the middle of the night w/o being seen, it can be done easily. Running at full speed many hours nooene will hear anything or see anything when everyone is in the cabin.

mysteriew
10-10-2005, 04:44 PM
Singer Olivia Newton-John says she listens to her own music to cope with the disappearance of beau Patrick McDermott, who mysteriously vanished during a fishing trip near Los Angeles in June.
"It's almost ironic that I wrote the songs — it's as if I wrote them for myself," the 57-year-old Aussie told "Entertainment Tonight" yesterday in her first sit-down chat since McDermott disappeared.

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/55104.htm

I saw the interview with ET. She totally refused to talk about the disappearance.

Lesleegp
11-16-2005, 11:56 AM
Oliva was a presenter on the CMA awards last night. I found that odd.

LButler
11-16-2005, 12:41 PM
I think he planned this fishing trip, got chummy with with the owner of the ship, told him his story of the witchy-ex-wife, the back child support, his financial woes, girlfriend with the money no longer with him and paying his bills, he paid the guy for the trip, slid an extra few bills to keep quiet about it and walked away. He knew with ONJ in Australia and he was several days away from a "family event" where he would finally be missed, he had plenty of time to casually walk away.

It's my experience that men are very sympathetic to his fellow man that is going thru something like this. Why would you even pay your bill if you were planning to commit suicide or disappear?

Masterj
11-16-2005, 04:27 PM
Oliva was a presenter on the CMA awards last night. I found that odd.
I also found that odd.

Becba
11-16-2005, 07:24 PM
Having worked on boats and a husband that has been a captain for over 25 yrs I can tell you there are some seedy charectars that work on boats. Amongst boat people we call them "boat trash".

These are people that have been in prison, and often. These are people that can get a job as a deck hand even with a prison record. And there has always been comments made that you better be careful with who you piss off on a boat cause you are out at sea and it only takes a shove and you are gone. The boats engines are so loud no one hears the splash or hears your calls for help.
Occasionally a deckhand or customer will accidently fall over board and as soon as it is noticed the boat will go back thru it's route and search along with notifying the coast guard and alerting other boats to search.
I would not be suprised if a person falls overboard and it is not noticed for such a long time if a cover up is planned to cover the crews butt. A Captain could lose his liscence due to neglect, lawsuits would be filed, high fines would be levied and charges could be brought, along with a hold being put on the boat so that it could not leave the dock or be used.
So accidently or on purpose if he went over, someone may have made the decision they should all lie and falsfy his bill.
There are good proffesional people that work on boats. There also are the bad ones. Charter fishing boats generally do not delve into criminal records. They hire who will do the job and is familiar with it. I have known people get hired on these kinds of boats that have been in prison for manslaughter, armed robbery, fraud and lots of DWI's. Fishing boats usually have an assorted mix. It is not like they are hired to work at a school or something.
Not knocking the boating industry, most are great people and hard working family men and women.

PrayersForMaura
12-04-2005, 11:17 PM
MUSIC icon Olivia Newton-John wept as she spoke of trying to get on with her life following the disappearance and presumed death of her long-term boyfriend Patrick McDermott.

An emotional Newton-John told the Nine Network's Today show about the pain and anguish she has felt since McDermott went missing and how it almost drove her to quit singing.

"It was a very difficult decision (to tour and sing again)," she said.

"I didn't feel like singing and I didn't think I would ever sing again. The thought of it was terrifying to me. Singing is a part of me and it's my soul. It's how I can express myself and move through it. Music is a very healing thing." With tears in her eyes, Newton-John said she still finds the mystery of 48-year-old McDermott's disappearance traumatic.

"So many people are going through a rough time this Christmas, I never understood it before but I really do now," she said, before cutting the interview short to compose herself and wipe away her tears.

More
http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,17463242%255E1702,00.html

lilpony
02-09-2006, 02:29 AM
Hi all...

Has anyone heard anymore information on Patrick McDermott, who went missing on the fishing boat. He's Olivia Newton's ex Beau! I got to thinking about this case, and was wondering what the heck happened to him. I take it he has never showed up, or I think I would have heard about it on the news. Very, very strange.

EdinburghLass
05-24-2006, 02:08 AM
Interesting theory - a bit far fetched though!

http://tabloidbaby.blogspot.com/2006/02/where-in-world-is-patrick-_113920615666719462.html

Why did Olivia Newton-John act as she did? Tabloid Baby theory: Either Olivia Newton-John didn’t know he was missing—or she helped him abscond to a place like Australia’s Great Barrier Reef. Because Patrick McDermott was a beard. An employee. A big, strong, handsome man whose job it was to be at her side at premieres, in articles, and Hollywood myth, for a number of reasons that go beyond what she does in her private life. Patrick McDermott played his part, and then drove home to Van Nuys.

More at link.

Rachael
05-24-2006, 09:27 AM
Interesting theory - a bit far fetched though!

http://tabloidbaby.blogspot.com/2006/02/where-in-world-is-patrick-_113920615666719462.html

Why did Olivia Newton-John act as she did? Tabloid Baby theory: Either Olivia Newton-John didn’t know he was missing—or she helped him abscond to a place like Australia’s Great Barrier Reef. Because Patrick McDermott was a beard. An employee. A big, strong, handsome man whose job it was to be at her side at premieres, in articles, and Hollywood myth, for a number of reasons that go beyond what she does in her private life. Patrick McDermott played his part, and then drove home to Van Nuys.

More at link.

They say ONJ is dating some millionaire buisnessman now so why would Patrick have been her "beard"? I would be surprised if he took off to get away from his debts.

Angels_Not_Forgotten
05-24-2006, 09:42 AM
from the first of the situation, I was thinking maybe she helped him leave the country and look like he was missing. I mean she doesnt report it. then again they were broke up. but what if she DID help him get away and thats why she is refusing to talk, incase hes found and there is some kind of court case where she doesnt want to incriminate herself by lying about it? I dont know, still very weird situation there.

kelly london
05-24-2006, 10:18 AM
i have never once considered that olivia might be gay? have i missed something?

Amraann
05-24-2006, 11:20 AM
That was just a link from a gossip blog not a true media source.

She wasn't even dating him or on the same continent when he went missing.

EdinburghLass
05-24-2006, 06:53 PM
They weren't dating Amraan? I thought they had been together for 9 years?

EdinburghLass
05-24-2006, 06:55 PM
i have never once considered that olivia might be gay? have i missed something?
Kelly - I don't think you missed anything. This was just someone elses opinion "(albeit far fetched!) and I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone else thought.

I personally think he has taken off because of his financial problems and I do not believe Olivia is gay.

ShowerSinger
06-04-2006, 04:51 PM
It seems he's alive and in Mexico.
He was seen by 3 different people.
Can't find the link, now.
Maybe someone here can.
I'm not surprised by this, though.
Still, a terrible thing to do to those who care about him.

EdinburghLass
06-04-2006, 06:18 PM
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,19365756%255E1702,00.html

OLIVIA Newton-John's missing boyfriend Patrick McDermott is believed to be alive and living in Mexico.

A Daily Telegraph investigation in Mexico has found three separate witnesses who have seen McDermott on Mexico's remote Baja Peninsula as recently as 10 days ago.

McDermott is now suspected of faking his death on a fishing trip last year to escape mounting debts and possible jail time over thousands of dollars in unpaid child support.

The sightings come as a grand jury prepares to investigate the disappearance of McDermott, who was Newton-John's boyfriend for nine years. The Daily Telegraph can reveal fishing boat Freedom took a previously unknown stop that would have allowed McDermott to jump ship and escape on land.

More at link...

englishleigh
06-04-2006, 06:22 PM
Poor Olivia and his kids & loved ones. What a selfish thing to do.

bykerladi
06-04-2006, 07:08 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2006/06/05/1149359637018.html

The Telegraph says the sightings come as a US grand jury prepares to investigate the disappearance of McDermott, who was Newton-John's boyfriend for nine years.

The paper reveals that the fishing boat Freedom made a previously unknown stop on an overnight fishing trip out of San Pedro in Los Angeles on June 30 last year that would have allowed McDermott to jump ship and escape on land.

PrayersForMaura
08-11-2009, 01:12 PM
US Coast Guard investigators have called on members of the public with "credible" information about the disappearance of Olivia Newton-John's ex-boyfriend to call a tip line.
The request for more information about US cameraman Patrick McDermott came despite two Coast Guard investigations concluding McDermott was likely "lost at sea'' during a 2005 fishing expedition off California.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25913783-12377,00.html

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed
04-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Olivia Newton-John's ex-beau found 'alive'

A private eye says he's tracked down Olivia Newton-John's ex-boyfriend -- who was once thought to be missing at sea -- and found he's alive and well and living in Mexico, according to a report.

[snip]

He is now living on a boat off the coast of Acapulco, and told detective Philip Klein that he wants to be left alone, according to the London Telegraph.

Klein said he believed that McDermott faked his own death to dodge debts.

Klein, who was hired by NBC's Dateline, told the paper he tracked McDermott down by putting up a Web site about his case and catching McDermott logging on.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/olivia_beau_found_alive_KQaP2dV8JggB8qvbwkCyzJ#ixz z0k3pOjdgN

hoppyfrog
04-04-2010, 12:15 AM
I'm not willing to change the thread title until LE confirms that he is alive. I have a feeling this could be the case of a P.I. wanting a bit of publicity for himself, kwim?

Cubby
04-04-2010, 12:45 AM
I agree Hoppy, there has been speculation he has been alive for a long time. Best to wait for LE confirmation.

Gypsy Road
04-04-2010, 12:51 AM
I agree Hoppy, there has been speculation he has been alive for a long time. Best to wait for LE confirmation.
You're right. I remember hearing about this website 6 months ago - the one he supposidly logged into - yet nothing has been confirmed by LE that I've heard. This has been going on for awhile.

raeann
04-06-2010, 07:33 PM
HLN reporting that detective hired by Dateline has located PM and that it has been confirmed.

hoppyfrog
04-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Can you post a link?

tia!

raeann
04-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Can you post a link?

tia!

Sorry....went away and forgot all about this thread...I will try to find the story on HLN site, now.
:crazy:

NOT HLN....but from New York Daily News

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2010/04/06/2010-04-06_olivia_newtonjohns_former_boyfriend_patrick_mcd ermott_found_after_faking_his_own.html

angelmom
04-07-2010, 11:39 AM
more...

http://www.accessatlanta.com/celebrities-tv/olivia-newton-john-s-442514.html?cxntlid=thbz_hm

The investigators say they found McDermott living in Mexico under his birth name. E! Online reported.

"Mr. McDermott's wishes, according to his counsel, is not to be ‘hounded' any longer by investigators or the media," Klein said.

hoppyfrog
04-07-2010, 01:30 PM
more...

http://www.accessatlanta.com/celebrities-tv/olivia-newton-john-s-442514.html?cxntlid=thbz_hm

The investigators say they found McDermott living in Mexico under his birth name. E! Online reported.

"Mr. McDermott's wishes, according to his counsel, is not to be ‘hounded' any longer by investigators or the media," Klein said.

Unfortunately, nothing in the link says his identity has been confirmed by LE. :(

Hoppy

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed
02-28-2013, 02:02 AM
Looks like he's still considered missing.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/1285/0/