PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Katrina to possibly become a Cat 4

Pages : [1] 2

Dark Knight
08-26-2005, 07:09 PM
I wanted to start a new thread since Katrina may become extremely dangerous as a Cat 3 or 4, and some people may ignore the one started when it was a tropical depression:

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/nt/ma/ma_nws_1.gif (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=AmjSmkfy_BSCpb.H9j_Sq.tH2ocA;_ylu=X3oDMTBidHQ xYjh2BHNlYwN5bnN0b3J5/SIG=10rm1k7vf/**http%3a//news.yahoo.com/)
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/nws/p/ap120a.gif
South Florida Cleans Up After Katrina

By JOHN PAIN, Associated Press Writer

Utility crews scrambled to restore power to more than 1 million customers Friday as Hurricane Katrina, blamed for six deaths and miles of flooded streets in South Florida, threatened the state with an encore visit.

Katrina was churning in the Gulf of Mexico and on a path to make landfall anywhere from the Florida Panhandle to Louisiana as early as Monday, possibly as a Category 4 storm.

"I'm so sick of this," said Pat Jackson, an interior decorator in Homestead. Her apartment building was flooded with several inches of water during Katrina's first pass across the state.

"It seems like every other week or month another one comes," she said.

Scenes of Katrina's impact were everywhere Friday work crews sawing trees crippled by the winds; people canoeing through inundated streets; a 727 cargo plane pushed along a runway fence; sailboats resting askew on a sandy shore.

Florida has been hit by six hurricanes since last August, and the Panhandle was slammed by Hurricane Ivan last year, and then again by Hurricane Dennis this year, both Category 3 storms.

On Friday, Gov. Jeb Bush urged residents in many of the same Panhandle areas to monitor the storm and make necessary preparations. If Katrina hit at Category 4 strength, as forecasters say it could, it would mean sustained winds topping 130 mph.

Bush said he had asked for federal disaster assistance for Miami-Dade and Broward counties, where some residents said they were caught off guard by the gathering storm.

"Maybe we can get rid of the phrase minimal hurricane," state meteorologist Ben Nelson said Friday. "There is no such thing as a minimal hurricane."

The death toll grew to six, including three people killed by falling trees and two boaters who tried to ride out the storm in their crafts. Authorities had said the toll was seven, but revised it to six after saying one death was not storm-related.

Risk modeling company AIR Worldwide estimated insured losses from Katrina's first landfall could approach $600 million.

Katrina, the second hurricane to hit Florida this year, grew from a disorganized 50-mph tropical storm to one with 92-mph wind gusts in a few hours Thursday.

It pummeled South Florida with blankets of rain and howling winds. Darkened skies lit up with popping power transformers, trees flew across streets and rain swamped some neighborhoods with water up to waist high.

"We had wind coming from two directions. It sounded like a super wind tunnel," said Scott Resnick, who rode out the storm in Hallandale Beach.

As it moved out into the Gulf on Friday, Katrina became a Category 2 hurricane with 100 mph winds and lashed the Florida Keys with strong outer bands that could dump up from 15 to 20 inches over the island chain.

At 5 p.m. EDT, it was about 70 miles west-northwest of Key West, moving toward the west-southwest near 8 mph. A gradual turn toward the west was expected Saturday.

The National Hurricane Center said Katrina was expected to strengthen significantly over warm Gulf waters and warned residents from Florida to southeast Louisiana to be ready.

Katrina's first swipe across Florida left about 50 homes flooded in Homestead and 40 mobile homes damaged in Broward County.

At a 12-unit apartment complex in Davie, Beverly Johnson, 41, and her 7-year-old son used pots to hold all the dripping water after their roof caved in during the storm.

"Water came in and then the ceiling collapsed," she said. "We were really shaken up last night."

Street flooding and debris strewn on the roads made many streets impassable, a situation made worse by power outages that affected street lights.

An overpass under construction in Miami-Dade County collapsed onto a highway. No injuries were reported, but the freeway a main east-west thoroughfare was closed for 20 blocks.

David Carter rode out the storm in his Coconut Grove home, listening as avocados were torn off branches and hitting the structure.

"It sounded like tiny bowling balls hitting the top of the roof and rolling down," he said. "You just heard the big thud."

The hurricane hindered the Coast Guard's search early Friday for a family of five who went out on their 24-foot pleasure boat. A Coast Guard helicopter finally found Edward and Tina Larsen and their three children. Their conditions were not immediately known.

The hurricane emptied the usually bustling streets of Miami Beach. The city is hosting celebrities and partygoers in town for Sunday's MTV Video Music Awards. MTV called off its pre-awards festivities Thursday and Friday.

And in the face of all the damage, some people took advantage of the wild weather to have fun. Surfers hit South Florida beaches Thursday ahead of the storm, and after it passed Friday.

"It's like a one-day vacation," said 17-year-old surfer Chris Dobson in Deerfield Beach. "We're just hoping to catch a few good waves, and have some fun out here while we can."

___

On the Net: National Hurricane Center: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov

lisad71
08-27-2005, 11:20 AM
We lucked out here in West Palm Beach...only got a few showers and a little wind from Katrina. The folks in the panhandle will be in my thoughts and prayers.

concernedperson
08-27-2005, 12:03 PM
Hurricane Update:

Miami- A hurricane watch was issued Saturday for the eastern half of the Louisiana coast, including New Orleans. That means hurricane conditions are possible by late Sunday and the watch will likely be extended to other areas.

http://www.klfy.com/Global/story.asp?S=3762373

Check out the doppler radar pic at the bottom of the article. Huge storm!!!!

Beyond Belief
08-27-2005, 05:33 PM
It missed us on the Treasure Coast (just north of Palm Beach). We are thankful and will be watching and praying for those in the Lousiana and Mississippi areas.

FACE-IT
08-27-2005, 08:35 PM
Hurricane Katrina could be one of the worst hurricanes to ever come ashore on the gulf coast. 12 foot waves are already approaching the North Gulf Coast, and Katrina is still 360 miles away, w/115mph winds, and moving at 7 mph. I will be very surprised if it isn't Category Four by tomorrow night. .

AT 7 PM CDT...0000Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE KATRINA WAS LOCATED
NEAR LATITUDE 24.8 NORTH...LONGITUDE 85.9 WEST OR ABOUT 360 MILES
SOUTHEAST OF THE MOUTH OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER.

KATRINA HAS BEGUN TO MOVE TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 7 MPH.
THIS GENERAL MOTION SHOULD CONTINUE TONIGHT AND SUNDAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 115 MPH...WITH HIGHER GUSTS.
KATRINA IS A CATEGORY THREE HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON
SCALE. STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS...AND
KATRINA COULD BECOME A CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE LATER TONIGHT OR
SUNDAY.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 45 MILES FROM THE
CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 160
MILES. NOAA BUOY 42003 LOCATED NORTHWEST OF THE CENTER RECENTLY
REPORTED SUSTAINED WINDS OF 54 MPH WITH A GUST TO 64 MPH AND
25-FOOT WAVES.

THE LATEST MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE REPORTED BY AN AIR FORCE
RECONNAISSANCE PLANE WAS 944 MB...27.88 INCHES.

DATA FROM BUOYS INDICATE THAT 12-FOOT WAVES ARE ALREADY APPROACHING
PORTIONS OF THE NORTHERN GULF COAST. STORM SURGE FLOODING ALONG THE
SOUTHWESTERN COAST OF FLORIDA SHOULD SUBSIDE TONIGHT.

KATRINA IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE ADDITIONAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 3 TO
5 INCHES OVER EXTREME WESTERN CUBA...AND 1 TO 3 INCHES OF RAINFALL
IS EXPECTED OVER THE YUCATAN PENINSULA. HEAVY RAINS FROM KATRINA
SHOULD BEGIN TO AFFECT THE CENTRAL GULF COAST SUNDAY EVENING.
RAINFALL TOTALS OF 5 TO 10 INCHES...WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM AMOUNTS
OF 15 INCHES...ARE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE CENTRAL GULF COAST.

REPEATING THE 7 PM CDT POSITION...24.8 N... 85.9 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 7 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...115
MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE... 944 MB.

Category Three Hurricane:
Winds 111-130 mph (96-113 kt or 178-209 km/hr). Storm surge generally 9-12 ft above normal. Some structural damage to small residences and utility buildings with a minor amount of curtainwall failures. Damage to shrubbery and trees with foliage blown off trees and large trees blown down. Mobile homes and poorly constructed signs are destroyed. Low-lying escape routes are cut by rising water 3-5 hours before arrival of the center of the hurricane. Flooding near the coast destroys smaller structures with larger structures damaged by battering from floating debris. Terrain continuously lower than 5 ft above mean sea level may be flooded inland 8 miles (13 km) or more. Evacuation of low-lying residences with several blocks of the shoreline may be required. Hurricanes Jeanne and Ivan of 2004 were Category Three hurricanes when they made landfall in Florida and in Alabama, respectively.

Category Four Hurricane:
Winds 131-155 mph (114-135 kt or 210-249 km/hr). Storm surge generally 13-18 ft above normal. More extensive curtainwall failures with some complete roof structure failures on small residences. Shrubs, trees, and all signs are blown down. Complete destruction of mobile homes. Extensive damage to doors and windows. Low-lying escape routes may be cut by rising water 3-5 hours before arrival of the center of the hurricane. Major damage to lower floors of structures near the shore. Terrain lower than 10 ft above sea level may be flooded requiring massive evacuation of residential areas as far inland as 6 miles (10 km). Hurricane Charley of 2004 was a Category Four hurricane made landfall in Charlotte County, Florida with winds of 150 mph. Hurricane Dennis of 2005 struck the island of Cuba as a Category Four hurricane.

concernedperson
08-27-2005, 08:44 PM
This was an older article that has been recently updated. The absolute horrific destruction that could occur in New Orleans and the aftermath due to its location and its situation between two large bodies of water.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,132423,00.html

2sisters
08-27-2005, 09:57 PM
A hurricane hitting New Orleans would destroy the city and drown everyone who doesn't evacuate. I used to live there and was crazy for ever staying during storms. The city is 40 ft below sea level. Very scary. Alot of people wont leave because of looting. Keep us in MS and LA in your prayers please.

concernedperson
08-27-2005, 10:12 PM
A hurricane hitting New Orleans would destroy the city and drown everyone who doesn't evacuate. I used to live there and was crazy for ever staying during storms. The city is 40 ft below sea level. Very scary. Alot of people wont leave because of looting. Keep us in MS and LA in your prayers please.

I just heard Kathleen Blanco issue an urgent warning for people to leave. They are not heeding and thinking hurricane party. I remember what happened during Hurricane Camille and it was devastating. I believe NO is 12 feet below sea level which is plenty enough. The storm surge alone would drown many as Lake Ponchartrain overflows its banks. I am originally from Louisiana and if you want to speak low level this is the State . Almost every road in s. Louisiana will flood with minimal amounts of rain. Read my article above....18-22 feet of water in New Orleans proper. I am praying as I have lots of family and friends....many from WS who live there. I have emailed the ones I know from WS and hope they are leaving.Most of my family is Lafayette,Lake Charles,New Iberia which will be hit but not with the same devastation as New Orleans. Stay safe!!!!!

Dark Knight
08-27-2005, 10:15 PM
From Accuweather.com: Forecasters here at AccuWeather.com are warning that the storm will almost certainly strengthen to a category 4 storm before it makes landfall, and it is possible that Katrina could top the scale as a category 5 storm before hitting land. Already some counties in southern Louisiana are under mandatory evacuation orders. Storm shelters are being opened and Search and Rescue teams are being activated in Louisiana and Mississippi as preparations are made to deal with the impact of the gathering storm.

Of particular concern to Emergency Management is the city of New Orleans. The city lies below sea level and although protected from normal tides and waves by Flood Walls is at risk from the huge storm surge that is expected to accompany Katrina. A storm surge of 10 to 15 feet is possible, and it is possible that the entire city will need to be evacuated. This would be no easy task as the population of the metropolitan area is some three million.
AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Joe Bastardi (http://wwwa.accuweather.com/adcbin/public/pro_benefits.asp)is also worried about the heavy rain that will accompany Katrina as it tracks (http://hurricane.accuweather.com/hurricane/storms.asp?ocean=atlantic&storm=Katrina&imagetype=move&partner=)northwards next week. The remains of the storm are expected to end up over Pennsylvania or Ohio by Thursday. As it tracks northwards on Tuesday and Wednesday across the Southern Appalachians it could dump up to ten inches of rain. Tornadoes are also reported to be a concern as the storm begins to push onshore through Monday.

http://hurricane.accuweather.com/hurricane/storms.asp?ocean=atlantic&storm=Katrina&imagetype=headline&partner=accuweather

Dark Knight
08-28-2005, 12:33 AM
The 100,000 or so persons in New Orleans alone who cannot afford to evacuate need our prayers. I am sure there are many others all along the coastline in the same situation. Animals too. Godspeed to them all.

Dark Knight
08-28-2005, 12:42 AM
From Weather.com:

Hurricane Katrina is in a region of light wind shear, and is therefore anticipated to gather further strength, becoming a strong Category 4 storm prior to landfall.

The Air Force Reserve Reconnaissance Hurricane Hunters and NOAA aircraft have been flying nonstop into Hurricane Katrina on Saturday and they will continue until it makes landfall. They have found a strengthening system all day Saturday with the pressure going from 950 mb down to 939 mb tonight with an increasing wind field and tighter eyewall. This means this system is getting stronger and extremely dangerous!

infoneedy
08-28-2005, 02:20 AM
Just heard on the news that Hurricane has just been upgraded to a Cat 4.

Infoneedy

FACE-IT
08-28-2005, 04:34 AM
At 1:00AM CDT---This is beginning to look really bad for the Gulf Coast

REPORTS FROM AN AIR FORCE RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT INDICATE THAT
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE INCREASED AND ARE NOW NEAR 145
MPH...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. KATRINA IS A CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE ON
THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. SOME ADDITIONAL STRENGTHENING IS POSSIBLE
TODAY.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 70 MILES...110 KM...
FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP
TO 160 MILES...260 KM.

Katrina could become a Category 5 Hurricane

Category Four Hurricane:
Winds 131-155 mph (114-135 kt or 210-249 km/hr). Storm surge generally 13-18 ft above normal. More extensive curtainwall failures with some complete roof structure failures on small residences. Shrubs, trees, and all signs are blown down. Complete destruction of mobile homes. Extensive damage to doors and windows. Low-lying escape routes may be cut by rising water 3-5 hours before arrival of the center of the hurricane. Major damage to lower floors of structures near the shore. Terrain lower than 10 ft above sea level may be flooded requiring massive evacuation of residential areas as far inland as 6 miles (10 km). Hurricane Charley of 2004 was a Category Four hurricane made landfall in Charlotte County, Florida with winds of 150 mph. Hurricane Dennis of 2005 struck the island of Cuba as a Category Four hurricane.

Category Five Hurricane:
Winds greater than 155 mph (135 kt or 249 km/hr). Storm surge generally greater than 18 ft above normal. Complete roof failure on many residences and industrial buildings. Some complete building failures with small utility buildings blown over or away. All shrubs, trees, and signs blown down. Complete destruction of mobile homes. Severe and extensive window and door damage. Low-lying escape routes are cut by rising water 3-5 hours before arrival of the center of the hurricane. Major damage to lower floors of all structures located less than 15 ft above sea level and within 500 yards of the shoreline. Massive evacuation of residential areas on low ground within 5-10 miles (8-16 km) of the shoreline may be required. Only 3 Category Five Hurricanes have made landfall in the United States since records began: The Labor Day Hurricane of 1935, Hurricane Camille (1969), and Hurricane Andrew in August, 1992. The 1935 Labor Day Hurricane struck the Florida Keys with a minimum pressure of 892 mb--the lowest pressure ever observed in the United States. Hurricane Camille struck the Mississippi Gulf Coast causing a 25-foot storm surge, which inundated Pass Christian. Hurricane Andrew of 1992 made landfall over southern Miami-Dade County, Florida causing 26.5 billion dollars in losses--the costliest hurricane on record. In addition, Hurricane Gilbert of 1988 was a Category Five hurricane at peak intensity and is the strongest Atlantic tropical cyclone on record with a minimum pressure of 888 mb.

13th Juror
08-28-2005, 05:58 AM
Thank you for all that timely info, Buzz & Dark Knight - What a pair of sweethearts you are! :)

I just heard on MBNBC @ 5:25 am - Katrina is currently a Cat 4 - still increasing in strength and is expected to hit the coastline as a Cat 5 hurricane. Absolutely terrifying! I sure hope they're wrong!!

As a resident of Florida that experienced 3 of the 4 dangerous and damaging hurricanes last season - none of them were a CAT 5.

I really hope residents of New Orleans and surrounding areas east & west of there are taking this hurricane seriously and have evacuated already. This is not "party time."

Who are our websleuthers in the danger zone? Anyone know?

My prayers are with all those in Katrina's path.

13th Juror

Dark Knight
08-28-2005, 06:30 AM
A graphic depicting Katrina's risk to lives and property:

http://headlines.accuweather.com/news-story.asp?partner=accuweather&myadc=0&article=1

ETA: And one indicating the risk of a direct hit, geographically:

http://headlines.accuweather.com/news-story.asp?partner=accuweather&myadc=0&traveler=0&article=0

Also from Accuweather: Katrina, currently rated a Category 4 storm on the Saffir-Simpson scale, could strengthen to perhaps a Category 5 storm as it turns more northward over the open Gulf of Mexico Sunday. Outer squalls and high surf will begin to make their presence felt late Sunday in coastal areas of Louisiana and Mississippi, then increasingly severe winds, rains and tides will build ahead of the storm Sunday night. AccuWeather.com's latest assessment is for landfall of Katrina's eye by noon Monday in southeastern Louisiana.

Dark Knight
08-28-2005, 07:19 AM
By was of comparison, Hurricane Hugo was at a Min. pressure of 918 mb and Hurricane Andrew was at 922 mb. (Andrew was stronger upon landfall than Hugo, however, as a Cat 5, whereas Hugo was a 4.)

Dark Knight
08-28-2005, 07:32 AM
The Weather Channel is reporting that Katrina is now a Category 5 hurricane with 160mph winds and a central pressure down to 915mb, and it STILL has a ways to go over some very warm water.

Beyond Belief
08-28-2005, 07:38 AM
Good grief. This is so scary.

13th Juror
08-28-2005, 08:01 AM
Just as a side note ...

Orlando Salinas, reporting for FOX News - he's on Dauphin Island, Alabama.

Summarized ...

There are some 5000 oil platforms in the Gulf Coast area (AL & Louisana) that provide approximately one-third of all the oil & natural gas that comes into the U.S.. As about one-third of those 5000 platforms are very old & cannot withstand the force of this hurricane, oil industry experts expect & predict MANY of them will come down.

If we think gas & oil prices are bad now (and they are!) .. Just wait until after Katrina hits those platforms. This will affect everybody - all of us - big time.

If anyone has a gas reading close to empty - I suggest you may want to fill up your tank today.

13th Juror

Ntegrity
08-28-2005, 09:13 AM
Do we have any members who live in the Nawlins area? If so, please head for the hills!! This is one catastrophic storm. I live in NW Florida which has been hit by too many hurricanes in the past few years. My prayers are with all of you who will be affected. God bless you and keep you safe!!

Beyond Belief
08-28-2005, 09:21 AM
908 mil. speed 12 160 m. winds

Beyond Belief
08-28-2005, 10:49 AM
sustained winds 175 miles an hour.

concernedperson
08-28-2005, 10:50 AM

My God in Heaven, we need to pray for these people. This is a monster.

NK57
08-28-2005, 10:57 AM
I am just glued to the Weather Channel. I am so scared for these people. I pray that those who can leave will and that those who cant will be scooped up and taken to shelters.

Nancy

ariel7
08-28-2005, 11:06 AM
I feel so sick!

What's the latest pressure?

:(

prayerfully,

Ariel

lisad71
08-28-2005, 11:26 AM
A little before 11AM EST, they were reporting that sustained windspeed would be 175 mph.

I love New Orleans and have many friends that live and work there. All we can do is pray for the people and animals of LA.

nanandjim
08-28-2005, 11:38 AM
I certainly hope that everyone who is told to evacuate does so. :eek:

ariel7
08-28-2005, 11:46 AM
A little before 11AM EST, they were reporting that sustained windspeed would be 175 mph.

I love New Orleans and have many friends that live and work there. All we can do is pray for the people and animals of LA.

AMEN!!!!!
It is the BEST thing to do also!
I pray ppl are remembering the elderly
and homeless somehow. AND the pets...
I had been praying that this storm would
collapse as so many b4, and it has done
the exact opposite.:(
I pray for the ppl and creatures there.

love,

Ariel

FACE-IT
08-28-2005, 12:34 PM
AT 10 AM CDT...1500Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE KATRINA WAS LOCATED
NEAR LATITUDE 26.0 NORTH... LONGITUDE 88.1 WEST OR ABOUT 225 MILES
SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF THE MOUTH OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER.

KATRINA IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 12 MPH...AND A TURN
TOWARD THE NORTHWEST AND NORTH-NORTHWEST IS EXPECTED OVER THE NEXT
24 HOURS.

REPORTS FROM AN AIR FORCE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT INDICATE THAT
THE MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE INCREASED TO NEAR 175 MPH...WITH
HIGHER GUSTS. KATRINA IS A POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC CATEGORY FIVE
HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. SOME FLUCTUATIONS IN
STRENGTH ARE LIKELY DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

kgeaux
08-28-2005, 12:35 PM
Just as a side note ...

Orlando Salinas, reporting for FOX News - he's on Dauphin Island, Alabama.

Summarized ...

There are some 5000 oil platforms in the Gulf Coast area (AL & Louisana) that provide approximately one-third of all the oil & natural gas that comes into the U.S.. As about one-third of those 5000 platforms are very old & cannot withstand the force of this hurricane, oil industry experts expect & predict MANY of them will come down.

If we think gas & oil prices are bad now (and they are!) .. Just wait until after Katrina hits those platforms. This will affect everybody - all of us - big time.

If anyone has a gas reading close to empty - I suggest you may want to fill up your tank today.

13th Juror

My husband is in the oil industry--he agrees, prices are set to soar if the damage to all the oil rigs comes even close to what they are projecting. Fill those tanks today, no matter where you live.

They just interviewed a little momma from New Orleans, sitting on a park bench holding her beautiful chubby six month old son. She has no vehicle and no way to leave New Orleans. They are going to send city busses out into the city later to pick up people who have no way to escape on their own, but they are telling these people to bring 3-7 days of food and water with them--that's out of the capabilities of some of these people. I cannot believe the government is not saying they'll fly water and food in for the evacuees if needed.

I am out of the direct path of Katrina, but we are being told to expect lots of rain, and 30 to 60 mile an hour wind gusts. Our schools are closed. I am dreading the possibility of losing power, since it's 99 degrees today with a heat index of 105. I wish I had a generator and a window AC! But I am blessed to be where I am, in a place where the catastrophe will not be so great, so I am trying to look on the bright side.

ariel7
08-28-2005, 12:49 PM
My husband is in the oil industry--he agrees, prices are set to soar if the damage to all the oil rigs comes even close to what they are projecting. Fill those tanks today, no matter where you live.

They just interviewed a little momma from New Orleans, sitting on a park bench holding her beautiful chubby six month old son. She has no vehicle and no way to leave New Orleans. They are going to send city busses out into the city later to pick up people who have no way to escape on their own, but they are telling these people to bring 3-7 days of food and water with them--that's out of the capabilities of some of these people. I cannot believe the government is not saying they'll fly water and food in for the evacuees if needed.

I am out of the direct path of Katrina, but we are being told to expect lots of rain, and 30 to 60 mile an hour wind gusts. Our schools are closed. I am dreading the possibility of losing power, since it's 99 degrees today with a heat index of 105. I wish I had a generator and a window AC! But I am blessed to be where I am, in a place where the catastrophe will not be so great, so I am trying to look on the bright side.

kgeaux,

Thanks for posting this!

I'm so glad you are outta the direct path.

Heard that Toby (of WS) is from N.O. and was
able to evacuate!

I am glad to know they will be sending the buses for folks..and hope
and pray that ppl will have enough and will be willing
to share--I am sure they will!

I pray that ppl are checking on the elderly especially
and helping to get them out...
The thought of this taking some isolated person unawares is
beyond awful.

God bless,
love,
Ariel

fran
08-28-2005, 01:15 PM
Good grief! Not only does this storm have sustained winds of 175 mph, the gusts are as high as 215 mph. What a monster!

All those in Katrina's path, please stay safe. Head inland if you haven't already done so.

My prayers for you safety.
fran

ariel7
08-28-2005, 01:46 PM
Just heard that the pressure has dropped a bit more...
now at 906 mb.
winds still sustained at 175.

FACE-IT
08-28-2005, 02:14 PM
Hurricane Katrina, as of 1 p.m. CDT, was centered near 26.5 north and 88.6 west. This is about 260 south-southeast of New Orleans, Louisiana. Maximum sustained winds were 175 mph with gusts to 210 mph. Katrina is moving northwest at about 13 mph and has a minimum central pressure of 906 mb, or 26.75 inches. Tropical storm-force winds extend outward up to 205 miles from the storm's center, while hurricane force winds have a radius of 105 miles.

Katrina is now moving northwestward and will eventually take a track to a more northerly direction later today and tonight that will cause the powerful hurricane to take aim on the north-central Gulf Coast.

Katrina is a Category 5 hurricane. It continues to strengthen as its central pressure falls. Satellite pictures indicate a well developed eye. The hurricane should track across a deep and warm layer of water over the central Gulf; and with little to no upper-level wind shear across the entire Gulf, further intensification will occur before making landfall Monday morning.

COASTAL STORM SURGE FLOODING OF 18 TO 22 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE
LEVELS...LOCALLY AS HIGH AS 28 FEET ALONG WITH LARGE AND DANGEROUS
BATTERING WAVES...CAN BE EXPECTED NEAR AND TO THE EAST OF WHERE THE
CENTER MAKES LANDFALL. SIGNIFICANT STORM SURGE FLOODING WILL OCCUR
ELSEWHERE ALONG THE CENTRAL AND NORTHEASTERN GULF OF MEXICO COAST.

The next full report will be at 4:00PM CDT

poco
08-28-2005, 02:23 PM
Omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FACE-IT
08-28-2005, 02:33 PM
It doesn't seem to appear that the tide will make a significant difference in the wave surge height, so that's a break:

Ship Shoal Light
28 August 2005 - 29 August 2005
28.9167 N, 91.0667 W

2005-08-28 01:00 CDT Moonrise
2005-08-28 02:16 CDT 2.13 feet High Tide
2005-08-28 06:40 CDT Sunrise
2005-08-28 15:29 CDT 0.04 feet Low Tide
2005-08-28 15:49 CDT Moonset
2005-08-28 19:30 CDT Sunset
2005-08-29 01:51 CDT Moonrise
2005-08-29 03:34 CDT 2.14 feet High Tide
2005-08-29 06:40 CDT Sunrise
2005-08-29 16:26 CDT 0.02 feet Low Tide
2005-08-29 16:39 CDT Moonset
2005-08-29 19:28 CDT Sunset

Beyond Belief
08-28-2005, 02:36 PM
winds now 184 mph

FACE-IT
08-28-2005, 02:36 PM
Omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!This storm is a monster---it appears that it is going to be one of the worst storms to ever come ashore on the Gulf Coast. We need to pray for everyone in its path.

ariel7
08-28-2005, 02:37 PM
pressure still dropping!
902 mb

184 mph sustained winds*

:eek:

*now they are saying this is flight level
wind speed.

ariel7
08-28-2005, 02:38 PM
This storm is a monster---it appears that it is going to be one of the worst storms to ever come ashore on the Gulf Coast. We need to pray for everyone in its path.

AMEN!!!!!

mic730
08-28-2005, 02:41 PM
I am praying for everyone in it's path.
The country stands behind the good people of the gulf coast. We will help you recover.
I just made a Red Cross donation online.
Redcross.org

Beyond Belief
08-28-2005, 02:44 PM
29 mile wide eye

englishleigh
08-28-2005, 02:50 PM
We are in extreme east-central Alabama, near the GA line, and even here they are saying we can expect 40-50 MPH winds and flash-flooding. :eek: Everyone stay safe, please!!

ariel7
08-28-2005, 02:57 PM
Take care englishleigh!

Just heard on TWC that these windspeeds
are those of an F3 tornado! :eek:
What an astounding, horrifying thought!

Love and prayers,

Ariel

Now they're saying the winds are still (STILL?????:eek: )

Sassygerl
08-28-2005, 03:39 PM
My prayers are with everyone in the path of this horrendous storm!!!! This will definitely go down in the history books....it's HUGE and sooooo dangerous.

Ntegrity
08-28-2005, 04:28 PM
Prayers going out to all in the path of this storm. Isn't our civilatty in New Orleans? I hope she's fled to higher ground.

lisa0477
08-28-2005, 04:36 PM
Prayers going out to all in the path of this storm. Isn't our civilatty in New Orleans? I hope she's fled to higher ground.

Wasn't it you and I Ntegrity, that lives close to one another?

concernedperson
08-28-2005, 04:44 PM
I was listening to a professor from LSU talk about the aftermath of the hurricane in the New Orleans area. He discussed all of the chemical plants around the area and how these chemicals will in the flood waters and all over the city causing people with allergies and respiratory disorders to become sicker. Also because of the bacteria around there will be an increase in rabies particularly among raccoons. Then West Nile because of standing water and mosquitos. Not discounting the poisonous snakes that will come in from the swamps And last but not least, all bodies are buried above ground in S. Louisiana because of the water table, some of these coffins will be released because of the flooding.

We better pray real hard.

FACE-IT
08-28-2005, 04:59 PM
Hurricane Katrina Advisory Number 24
Nws Tpc/national Hurricane Center Miami Fl
4 Pm Cdt Sun Aug 28 2005

...potentially Catastrophic Hurricane Katrina Headed For The
Northern Gulf Coast...

A Hurricane Warning Is In Effect For The North Central Gulf Coast
From Morgan City Louisiana Eastward To The Alabama/florida
Border...including The City Of New Orleans And Lake Pontchartrain.
Preparations To Protect Life And Property Should Be Completed This
Evening.

A Tropical Storm Warning And A Hurricane Watch Are In Effect From
East Of The Alabama/florida Border To Destin Florida...and From
West Of Morgan City To Intracoastal City Louisiana.

A Tropical Storm Warning Is Also In Effect From Destin Florida
Eastward To Indian Pass Florida...and From Intracoastal City
Louisiana Westward To Cameron Louisiana.

For Storm Information Specific To Your Area...including Possible
Inland Watches And Warnings...please Monitor Products Issued
By Your Local Weather Office.

At 4 Pm Cdt...2100z...the Center Of Hurricane Katrina Was Located
Near Latitude 26.9 North... Longitude 89.0 West Or About 150 Miles
South Of The Mouth Of The Mississippi River.

Katrina Is Moving Toward The Northwest Near 13 Mph...and A Gradual
Turn To The North Is Expected Over The Next 24 Hours. On This
Track The Center Of The Hurricane Will Be Near The Northern Gulf
Coast Early Monday. However...conditions Are Already Beginning To
Deteriorate Along Portions Of The Central And Northeastern Gulf
Coast...and Will Continue To Worsen Through The Night.

Maximum Sustained Winds Are Near 165 Mph...with Higher Gusts.
Katrina Is A Potentially Catastrophic Category Five Hurricane On
The Saffir-simpson Scale. Some Fluctuations In Strength Are Likely
Until Landfall. Katrina Is Expected To Make Landfall At Category
Four Or Five Intensity. Winds Affecting The Upper Floors Of
High-rise Buildings Will Be Significantly Stronger Than Those Near
Ground Level.

Katrina Is A Large Hurricane. Hurricane Force Winds Extend Outward
Up To 105 Miles From The Center...and Tropical Storm Force Winds
Extend Outward Up To 230 Miles. Sustained Tropical Storm Force
Winds Are Occurring Over The Southeast Louisiana Coast. Southwest
Pass...near The Mouth Of The Mississippi River...recently Reported
Sustained Winds Of 48 Mph With Gusts To 53 Mph.

A Noaa Hurricane Hunter Plane Reported A Minimum Central Pressure Of
902 Mb...26.64 Inches.

Coastal Storm Surge Flooding Of 18 To 22 Feet Above Normal Tide
Levels...locally As High As 28 Feet...along With Large And Dangerous
Battering Waves...can Be Expected Near And To The East Of Where The
Center Makes Landfall. Some Levees In The Greater New Orleans Area
Could Be Overtopped. Significant Storm Surge Flooding Will Occur
Elsewhere Along The Central And Northeastern Gulf Of Mexico Coast.

Rainfall Totals Of 5 To 10 Inches...with Isolated Maximum Amounts Of
15 Inches...are Possible Along The Path Of Katrina Across The Gulf
Coast And The Tennessee Valley. Rainfall Totals Of 4 To 8 Inches
Are Possible Across The Ohio Valley Into The Eastern Great Lakes
Region Tuesday And Wednesday.

Isolated Tornadoes Will Be Possible Beginning This Evening Over
Southern Portions Of Louisiana...mississippi...and Alabama...and
Over The Florida Panhandle.

Repeating The 4 Pm Cdt Position...26.9 N... 89.0 W. Movement
Toward...northwest Near 13 Mph. Maximum Sustained Winds...165 Mph.
Minimum Central Pressure... 902 Mb.

An Intermediate Advisory Will Be Issued By The National Hurricane
Center At 7 Pm Cdt Followed By The Next Complete Advisory At 10 Pm
Cdt.

CyberLaw
08-28-2005, 05:09 PM
Godspeed from Canada. I hope that everyone will be safe......our thoughts are with you.

Ntegrity
08-28-2005, 05:11 PM
Wasn't it you and I Ntegrity, that lives close to one another?
Yes, Lisa, that was me. We're hunkered down and thanking God we're on the outskirts of this one. Let's hope it stays that way. Be safe!!

nanandjim
08-28-2005, 05:28 PM
Yes, Lisa, that was me. We're hunkered down and thanking God we're on the outskirts of this one. Let's hope it stays that way. Be safe!!
Did you have to reschedule your vacation?

lisa0477
08-28-2005, 05:38 PM

Well, when my hubby goes TDY we will have to have lunch sometime...will need the company!!

FACE-IT
08-28-2005, 05:54 PM
Hurricane Katrina is immense, and I haven't ever seen such a well defined eye before. This can take a while to finish loading, but it is worth the wait. Have a LOOK. May require patience.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-ir4-loop.html

ariel7
08-28-2005, 06:14 PM
Hurricane Katrina is immense, and I haven't ever seen such a well defined eye before. This can take a while to finish loading, but it is worth the wait. Have a LOOK. May require patience.

WHOA!!!!
:eek:

Thanks for the link, Buzzm1!!

love,

Ariel

concernedperson
08-28-2005, 06:17 PM

Astronomical isn't it? You know Buzz, I have been through many hurricanes myself and have faithfully watched all the others, but this storm is scaring me so much I can't even say.Right now I am glued to the TV and I am so fearful for the people in New Orleans.I don't think a lot of people understand the ramifications. This is not just homes being leveled, this is major loss of human life. Not trying to be dramatic but I saw Kathleen Blanco's face this morning and I have known her all my life, and her agony was blatant. The mayor wasn't much better. The weather girl on Fox earlier grabbed her stomach. Prayers!!!!!

lisad71
08-28-2005, 06:21 PM
You know what is really burning my @ss...the fact that the "big" story on FOX affiliate WSVN in Miami is the stupid MTV Video Music Awards. There are people in New Orleans that are about to lose everything and all Channel 7 cares about is about whose in town for the VMAs. For a city that bore the brunt of Katrina as a Cat 1, they certainly do bounce back to their shallow ways quickly.

Hope they all get rained on tonight at the show :furious:

Ntegrity
08-28-2005, 06:24 PM
Did you have to reschedule your vacation?
We're still planning to leave Thursday as long as Interstate 10 is open. It all depends on how much damage this monster storm does. :eek:

Well, when my hubby goes TDY we will have to have lunch sometime...will need the company!!
I'd love that, Lisa. Please PM me and we'll make plans to meet. I'm sorry to hear your DH is going to Iraq and wish him the best. God, I love our military families. You're awesome!

englishleigh
08-28-2005, 06:25 PM
You know what is really burning my @ss...the fact that the "big" story on FOX affiliate WSVN in Miami is the stupid MTV Video Music Awards. There are people in New Orleans that are about to lose everything and all Channel 7 cares about is about whose in town for the VMAs. For a city that bore the brunt of Katrina as a Cat 1, they certainly do bounce back to their shallow ways quickly.

Hope they all get rained on tonight at the show :furious:

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

concernedperson
08-28-2005, 06:37 PM
I am going to vent a little. Jeanne Meserve with CNN is there, she is a mom with a young daughter. Shepard Smith of Fox is there and just expressed concern for his safety. I want to know the news but are some of these networks not caring for their employees? If it is as bad as I think it will be, I hope they send in helicopters to get them out, no matter what the costs.

Some people aren't listening to the experts! The levees are old and were built with expectations of no more than a Cat 3. I am really worried, can you tell?

FACE-IT
08-28-2005, 06:48 PM
I am going to vent a little. Jeanne Meserve with CNN is there, she is a mom with a young daughter. Shepard Smith of Fox is there and just expressed concern for his safety. I want to know the news but are some of these networks not caring for their employees? If it is as bad as I think it will be, I hope they send in helicopters to get them out, no matter what the costs.

Some people aren't listening to the experts! The levees are old and were built with expectations of no more than a Cat 3. I am really worried, can you tell?Hoping I don't lose this post like the last long one I submitted only to get a server error. There are always doubting Thomases, that will host a Hurricane party or some such thing. In Florida, three people lost their lives by trying to ride out the storm on their boat, and 3 others were outside their homes, and killed by falling trees, and there is no resemblance between Katrina then and Katrina now. I am hoping everyone has fled for higher ground, well away from the path of this storm, because it has killer written all over it. The picture shows the immensity of it; it is very scary, and unless the wind speeds decrease substantially, it is going to cause one hell of a lot of damage, and take lives, if people are in its path. Hoping it veers away from New Orleans, otherwise I don't hold out much hope for the city.

LDC
08-28-2005, 06:50 PM
My cousin lives there in NO and has left for Baton Rouge..Her grand mother refused to leave..she lives 2 miles from the river..My aunt spoke to the grandmother this morning and fears that it will be the last time she will speak to her because she dosent think her MIL will make it through this unless she gets to the Dome..she had to sign a waver to stay in her home..so I dont think she will go to a shelter.

kgeaux
08-28-2005, 06:59 PM

Some people aren't listening to the experts! The levees are old and were built with expectations of no more than a Cat 3. I am really worried, can you tell?

I'm kinda freaking out myself! I-10 is like a parking lot, according to local news. Evacuees from New Orleans have had to call the police to a local motel for price gouging--they more than doubled the price of their rooms! People called ahead to make reservations, were quoted one price and when they drive up, the price has doubled. God will deal with people who use a catastrophic disaster like this to line their pockets. The news is saying that the nearest available hotel/motel rooms are in El Paso!! And my fine city, God save us all, has not opened the Cajun Dome or other shelters to help evacuees out. I am so ashamed of humanity sometimes. For Lilly, we opened our shelters as soon as all the hotels filled up, so those to the south of us had a place to stay. Those of us who were able cooked big pots of gumbo and brought them down to help those people out...it was an organized effort to help our fellow sufferers out! And we did this knowing WE were fixing to catch Lilly in a big way. I don't know why it's not being done this time. WHY is this not being done????

Those New Orleans levees are going to go down in places, and regardless, they aren't high enough to withstand a 20 foot surge. And New Orleans is like a big old gumbo bowl. Water will surge in from the Gulf and from Lake Ponchetrain, and it will not flow out. It will have to be pumped out.

Those news guys need to get out of Dodge before it hits.

I saw Kathleen on TV this morning too. She looks like she is living through a nightmare. I don't think she has slept in a couple of days. Awesome lady.

FACE-IT
08-28-2005, 07:04 PM
My cousin lives there in NO and has left for Baton Rouge..Her grand mother refused to leave..she lives 2 miles from the river..My aunt spoke to the grandmother this morning and fears that it will be the last time she will speak to her because she dosent think her MIL will make it through this unless she gets to the Dome..she had to sign a waver to stay in her home..so I dont think she will go to a shelter.That's tragic LDC. I'm so sorry that someone wasn't there to take charge and get her out of there. Can any of us imagine a storm surge of 19 to 22 feet, pushing up the Mississippi River, and flooding everything fairly far inland, without even considering the amount of rain that is with this hurricane. If everyone isn't on high ground they won't survive. Pray that somehow Katrina spares New Orleans, and people arouind the Mississippi River.

Dark Knight
08-28-2005, 07:08 PM

I made the same comment earlier to some people about the eye. It is amazing how well defined it is, and I also have never seen one like it before! And it also indicates it won't be weakening much.

I agree with those who say the newspeople need to run for their lives, as well. They aren't immune from this.

And screw the MTV awards!!!!

concernedperson
08-28-2005, 07:10 PM
Hoping I don't lose this post like the last long one I submitted only to get a server error. There are always doubting Thomases, that will host a Hurricane party or some such thing. In Florida, three people lost their lives by trying to ride out the storm on their boat, and 3 others were outside their homes, and killed by falling trees, and there is no resemblance between Katrina then and Katrina now. I am hoping everyone has fled for higher ground, well away from the path of this storm, because it has killer written all over it. The picture shows the immensity of it; it is very scary, and unless the wind speeds decrease substantially, it is going to cause one hell of a lot of damage, and take lives, if people are in its path. Hoping it veers away from New Orleans, otherwise I don't hold out much hope for the city.

You have just expressed my extreme concern. I know others are viewing with curiosity but I am sitting on the disaster aspect, you have got to know the topography of New 0rleans. It is something to see if a really big storm enters into the picture.This city is surrounded by huge bodies of water and all low lying lands.I have heard Toby left the area and I pm'd him last night to get his butt out and my step son is in Birmingham. But that doesn't make me devalue anything else that is going on.This is really bad.

Dark Knight
08-28-2005, 07:12 PM
My cousin lives there in NO and has left for Baton Rouge..Her grand mother refused to leave..she lives 2 miles from the river..My aunt spoke to the grandmother this morning and fears that it will be the last time she will speak to her because she dosent think her MIL will make it through this unless she gets to the Dome..she had to sign a waver to stay in her home..so I dont think she will go to a shelter.
I'm very sorry to hear this, and pray she changes her mind. No one who stays where they are has a very good chance of survival, I'm afraid, barring a miracle. God bless her, despite her decision.

nanandjim
08-28-2005, 07:13 PM
We're still planning to leave Thursday as long as Interstate 10 is open. It all depends on how much damage this monster storm does.
Good luck. If it is as catastrophic as they are predicting, I'm not so sure that you'll be able to make it. I hope that you will be okay. I have relatives in Penscola. I'm sure that they are not real happy with yet another hurricane...

concernedperson
08-28-2005, 07:19 PM
I'm kinda freaking out myself! I-10 is like a parking lot, according to local news. Evacuees from New Orleans have had to call the police to a local motel for price gouging--they more than doubled the price of their rooms! People called ahead to make reservations, were quoted one price and when they drive up, the price has doubled. God will deal with people who use a catastrophic disaster like this to line their pockets. The news is saying that the nearest available hotel/motel rooms are in El Paso!! And my fine city, God save us all, has not opened the Cajun Dome or other shelters to help evacuees out. I am so ashamed of humanity sometimes. For Lilly, we opened our shelters as soon as all the hotels filled up, so those to the south of us had a place to stay. Those of us who were able cooked big pots of gumbo and brought them down to help those people out...it was an organized effort to help our fellow sufferers out! And we did this knowing WE were fixing to catch Lilly in a big way. I don't know why it's not being done this time. WHY is this not being done????

Those New Orleans levees are going to go down in places, and regardless, they aren't high enough to withstand a 20 foot surge. And New Orleans is like a big old gumbo bowl. Water will surge in from the Gulf and from Lake Ponchetrain, and it will not flow out. It will have to be pumped out.

Those news guys need to get out of Dodge before it hits.

I saw Kathleen on TV this morning too. She looks like she is living through a nightmare. I don't think she has slept in a couple of days. Awesome lady.

Call Mike Neustrom. He is a friend of mine and Sheriff of Lafayette Parish.You tell him that I will haunt him forever if he doesn't open up the cajundome for evacuees.Tell him Sheila P. is calling. And I am watching from Atlanta.

kahskye
08-28-2005, 07:27 PM
My prayers go out to all of those in the path of Hurricane Katrina. We've been keeping an eye on the hurricane, being we're in the panhandle and only under a tropical storm warning. There was a lady on either The Weather Channel or Fox News. I didn't get her name but she works w/ animals and makes it her job to warn people about protecting their pets. She was reminding people evacuating not to forget about their pets. She said just leaving them is a death sentence. They have a better chance (slim, but a chance) of survival to just be turned loose to fend for themselves. She said she talked to this one family who LEFT their two dogs in their crates on top of the washer & dryer. These poor dogs will have no chance of survival. If they don't drown when the waters rise, they'll starve or die of dehydration. Of course I will be thinking of the people and their safety, but for the rest of the night I'm also going to be thinking of two little dogs left behind, probably scared and howling out to no one but the wind and rain! How terribly sad!

Magnum PI
08-28-2005, 07:29 PM
[QUOTE=Dark Knight]I'm very sorry to hear this, and pray she changes her mind. No one who stays where they are has a very good chance of survival, I'm afraid, barring a miracle. God bless her, despite her decision.[/QUOTE
Hey DK...I am( what I think to be) out of harms way) I have a question..is there a chance that this could cause the 'Ol Mississippi' jump it's track, as nature wants it to do, and flood the Aschafalali (sp?) basin....this is something that we can not imagine...mpi

Tom'sGirl
08-28-2005, 07:34 PM
Call Mike Neustrom. He is a friend of mine and Sheriff of Lafayette Parish.You tell him that I will haunt him forever if he doesn't open up the cajundome for evacuees.Tell him Sheila P. is calling. And I am watching from Atlanta.Good grief, from the reports we hear out here in So.CA I assumed that the Cajun Dome had been opened for shelter. It's not that close to NO, so time is of the essence to get those people bused up and on their way to safety.

Oh, and to think we complain when the weather gets too hot out here :banghead:

ariel7
08-28-2005, 07:39 PM

I, too, am so sorry to hear this, LDC. I pray that she will indeed change
her mind!!

I pray that NO ONE is tries to ride this beast out!!!!

Sadly, I cannot help but think of Harry Truman, the man that REFUSED to heed the warnings in regards to Mt. St. Helens and remained in his home..which was only a few miles away from the mountain!!:eek:

with much love
and prayers,

Ariel

concernedperson
08-28-2005, 07:40 PM
[QUOTE=Dark Knight]I'm very sorry to hear this, and pray she changes her mind. No one who stays where they are has a very good chance of survival, I'm afraid, barring a miracle. God bless her, despite her decision.[/QUOTE
Hey DK...I am( what I think to be) out of harms way) I have a question..is there a chance that this could cause the 'Ol Mississippi' jump it's track, as nature wants it to do, and flood the Aschafalali (sp?) basin....this is something that we can not imagine...mpi
I will answer this, the basin will be innunatedwith water. This is the worst possible scenario. The people in charge are expressing their concerns and their facial expressions are to be considered. The fact that the president showed up early should tell you the seriousness.

Lesleegp
08-28-2005, 07:40 PM
Jules:

Praying for your in-laws in NOLA. Are they coming to stay with ya'll? I really pray they are safe and sound.

Les :blowkiss:

heavenlydaze
08-28-2005, 08:00 PM
Our daughter, her husband & children live in Vancleave, Ms...(not far from Gulfport)They tried to get out this morning, but traffic was slow and they turned back. They live out in the country in a fairly new house...I talked to Tammy an hour ago...They expect high winds but have taken every precaution they can. She is calling me every 2 hrs. An hour ago, the sun was shining & it was just starting to cloud up.They don't live close to the water or any levy system. They are concerned with the winds, though. They moved everything heavy from upstairs and Paul & the two oldest sons went up in the attic to see about the beams. I asked her if she was watching the news, she said they were watching a movie. They will shut their power off after the movie and Paul has already capped off the plumbing in the upstaris bathrooms. They have plenty of bottled water and enough food for two weeks. I'm really scared about this storm. Anyone else in Southern Mississippi?
Deb

FACE-IT
08-28-2005, 08:03 PM
HURRICANE KATRINA INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 24A
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
7 PM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

...POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC HURRICANE KATRINA NOW MOVING
NORTH-NORTHWESTWARD TOWARD THE NORTHERN GULF COAST...

A HURRICANE WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR THE NORTH CENTRAL GULF COAST
FROM MORGAN CITY LOUISIANA EASTWARD TO THE ALABAMA/FLORIDA
BORDER...INCLUDING THE CITY OF NEW ORLEANS AND LAKE PONTCHARTRAIN.
PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY SHOULD BE COMPLETED THIS
EVENING.

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING AND A HURRICANE WATCH ARE IN EFFECT FROM
EAST OF THE ALABAMA/FLORIDA BORDER TO DESTIN FLORIDA...AND FROM
WEST OF MORGAN CITY TO INTRACOASTAL CITY LOUISIANA.

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS ALSO IN EFFECT FROM DESTIN FLORIDA
EASTWARD TO INDIAN PASS FLORIDA...AND FROM INTRACOASTAL CITY
LOUISIANA WESTWARD TO CAMERON LOUISIANA.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...INCLUDING POSSIBLE
INLAND WATCHES AND WARNINGS...PLEASE MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED
BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.

AT 7 PM CDT...0000Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE KATRINA WAS LOCATED
NEAR LATITUDE 27.2 NORTH... LONGITUDE 89.1 WEST OR ABOUT 130 MILES
SOUTH OF THE MOUTH OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER.

KATRINA IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTH-NORTHWEST NEAR 11 MPH...AND A
TURN TO THE NORTH IS EXPECTED OVER THE NEXT 24 HOURS. ON THIS TRACK
THE CENTER OF THE HURRICANE WILL BE NEAR THE NORTHERN GULF COAST
EARLY MONDAY. HOWEVER...CONDITIONS ARE ALREADY BEGINNING TO
DETERIORATE ALONG PORTIONS OF THE CENTRAL AND NORTHEASTERN GULF
COAST...AND WILL CONTINUE TO WORSEN THROUGH THE NIGHT.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 160 MPH...WITH HIGHER GUSTS.
KATRINA IS A POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC CATEGORY FIVE HURRICANE ON
THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. SOME FLUCTUATIONS IN STRENGTH ARE LIKELY
PRIOR TO LANDFALL...AND KATRINA IS EXPECTED TO MAKE LANDFALL AT
CATEGORY FOUR OR FIVE INTENSITY. WINDS AFFECTING THE UPPER FLOORS
OF HIGH-RISE BUILDINGS WILL BE SIGNIFICANTLY STRONGER THAN THOSE
NEAR GROUND LEVEL.

KATRINA IS A LARGE HURRICANE. HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD
UP TO 105 MILES FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS
EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 230 MILES. SUSTAINED TROPICAL STORM FORCE
WINDS ARE ALREADY OCCURRING OVER THE SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA COAST.

A NOAA HURRICANE HUNTER PLANE REPORTED A MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE OF
904 MB...26.69 INCHES.

LEVELS...LOCALLY AS HIGH AS 28 FEET...ALONG WITH LARGE AND DANGEROUS
CENTER MAKES LANDFALL. SOME LEVEES IN THE GREATER NEW ORLEANS AREA
COULD BE OVERTOPPED. SIGNIFICANT STORM SURGE FLOODING WILL OCCUR

RAINFALL TOTALS OF 5 TO 10 INCHES...WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM AMOUNTS OF
15 INCHES...ARE POSSIBLE ALONG THE PATH OF KATRINA ACROSS THE GULF
COAST AND THE TENNESSEE VALLEY. RAINFALL TOTALS OF 4 TO 8 INCHES
ARE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE OHIO VALLEY INTO THE EASTERN GREAT LAKES
REGION TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY.

ISOLATED TORNADOES WILL BE POSSIBLE THIS EVENING OVER SOUTHERN
PORTIONS OF LOUISIANA...MISSISSIPPI...AND ALABAMA...AND OVER THE
FLORIDA PANHANDLE.

REPEATING THE 7 PM CDT POSITION...27.2 N... 89.1 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...NORTH-NORTHWEST NEAR 11 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...160
MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE... 904 MB.

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL
HURRICANE CENTER AT 10 PM CDT.

FORECASTER FRANKLIN

Lesleegp
08-28-2005, 08:05 PM
Our daughter, her husband & children live in Vancleave, Ms...(not far from Gulfport)They tried to get out this morning, but traffic was slow and they turned back. They live out in the country in a fairly new house...I talked to Tammy an hour ago...They expect high winds but have taken every precaution they can. She is calling me every 2 hrs. An hour ago, the sun was shining & it was just starting to cloud up.They don't live close to the water or any levy system. They are concerned with the winds, though. They moved everything heavy from upstairs and Paul & the two oldest sons went up in the attic to see about the beams. I asked her if she was watching the news, she said they were watching a movie. They will shut their power off after the movie and Paul has already capped off the plumbing in the upstaris bathrooms. They have plenty of bottled water and enough food for two weeks. I'm really scared about this storm. Anyone else in Southern Mississippi?
Deb

Gee, I know you won't rest until you know they are safe. I pray things will be okay for them!

Tom'sGirl
08-28-2005, 08:06 PM
Good grief, from the reports we hear out here in So.CA I assumed that the Cajun Dome had been opened for shelter. It's not that close to NO, so time is of the essence to get those people bused up and on their way to safety.

Oh, and to think we complain when the weather gets too hot out here :banghead:Okay, I screwed up. What Im watching now is the Super Dome, which is open and evacuees being bused there..........sorry!

kgeaux
08-28-2005, 08:20 PM
Okay, I screwed up. What Im watching now is the Super Dome, which is open and evacuees being bused there..........sorry!

It's ok! The cajun dome is a smaller version of the SuperDome. We usually open it up during times like this.......you ought to see the evacuation route! I-10 is being described like a big old parking lot it's moving so slow!

Super Dome is open in NO, I'm not sure how safe it is, but it will be better than the homes that many of those in need would other wise have to stay in.

Call Mike Neustrom. He is a friend of mine and Sheriff of Lafayette Parish.You tell him that I will haunt him forever if he doesn't open up the cajundome for evacuees.Tell him Sheila P. is calling. And I am watching from Atlanta.

One of our local news stations is on it. They are asking the tough questions and hopefully will push the right buttons. I think just a matter of time before someone gets the balls to open the Cajun Dome! Local churches have opened their doors and have people standing on the side of I-10 by some exits, letting evacuees know that they have a place to stay-FREE! And people are driving by these churches, dropping off sleeping bags, pillows, food, water, toys for the kiddies to play with. Now THIS sounds like Acadiana! I was about to pass out awhile ago when I thought we weren't going to open our hearts and hospitality to those poor people.

FACE-IT
08-28-2005, 08:21 PM
Okay, I screwed up. What Im watching now is the Super Dome, which is open and evacuees being bused there..........sorry!Hurricane Katrina is 130 miles South Of LA, so they are feeling the tropical winds already, and in about 2-3 hours they will begin getting hit with hurricane force winds.

KATRINA IS A LARGE HURRICANE. HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD
UP TO 105 MILES FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS
EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 230 MILES.

kgeaux
08-28-2005, 08:22 PM
Yay, Buzz! The winds are down to 160!!! And the pressure is slowing rising. This could be a miracle in the making. Maybe it will lose power, not be so catastrophic. Oh, I pray!

Tom'sGirl
08-28-2005, 08:26 PM
It's ok! The cajun dome is a smaller version of the SuperDome. We usually open it up during times like this.......you ought to see the evacuation route! I-10 is being described like a big old parking lot it's moving so slow!

Super Dome is open in NO, I'm not sure how safe it is, but it will be better than the homes that many of those in need would other wise have to stay in.

One of our local news stations is on it. They are asking the tough questions and hopefully will push the right buttons. I think just a matter of time before someone gets the balls to open the Cajun Dome! Local churches have opened their doors and have people standing on the side of I-10 by some exits, letting evacuees know that they have a place to stay-FREE! And people are driving by these churches, dropping off sleeping bags, pillows, food, water, toys for the kiddies to play with. Now THIS sounds like Acadiana! I was about to pass out awhile ago when I thought we weren't going to open our hearts and hospitality to those poor people.
Just saw I-10 and they are opening all the lanes leaving NO...........BUT, moving so slow how many will have time to get some place safe?

concernedperson
08-28-2005, 08:30 PM

One of our local news stations is on it. They are asking the tough questions and hopefully will push the right buttons. I think just a matter of time before someone gets the balls to open the Cajun Dome! Local churches have opened their doors and have people standing on the side of I-10 by some exits, letting evacuees know that they have a place to stay-FREE! And people are driving by these churches, dropping off sleeping bags, pillows, food, water, toys for the kiddies to play with. Now THIS sounds like Acadiana! I was about to pass out awhile ago when I thought we weren't going to open our hearts and hospitality to those poor people.OH,good, I feel better.But call Mke if you are worried.

Dark Knight
08-28-2005, 08:36 PM
My prayers go out to all of those in the path of Hurricane Katrina. We've been keeping an eye on the hurricane, being we're in the panhandle and only under a tropical storm warning. There was a lady on either The Weather Channel or Fox News. I didn't get her name but she works w/ animals and makes it her job to warn people about protecting their pets. She was reminding people evacuating not to forget about their pets. She said just leaving them is a death sentence. They have a better chance (slim, but a chance) of survival to just be turned loose to fend for themselves. She said she talked to this one family who LEFT their two dogs in their crates on top of the washer & dryer. These poor dogs will have no chance of survival. If they don't drown when the waters rise, they'll starve or die of dehydration. Of course I will be thinking of the people and their safety, but for the rest of the night I'm also going to be thinking of two little dogs left behind, probably scared and howling out to no one but the wind and rain! How terribly sad!
Why didn't she or someone else go and rescue the dogs?

Beyond Belief
08-28-2005, 08:38 PM
this is very serious. isn't there someway they could have her removed and taken to safety?

Dark Knight
08-28-2005, 08:40 PM
Yay, Buzz! The winds are down to 160!!! And the pressure is slowing rising. This could be a miracle in the making. Maybe it will lose power, not be so catastrophic. Oh, I pray!
As the director of the hurricane center said, it's like going from being hit by a freight train to being hit by an 18 wheeler, if it weakens. Don't mean to be a downer, but we have to be realistic about how dangerous it is. Obviously, God can perform a miracle, but sometimes we are called to carry our crosses, as well, and help others in need.

concernedperson
08-28-2005, 08:40 PM
this is very serious. isn't there someway they could have her removed and taken to safety?

It is too late.

Beyond Belief
08-28-2005, 08:48 PM
they just said they will begin feeling hurricane force winds in abt 3 hours.

LDC
08-28-2005, 08:52 PM
I dont know, unless they go door to door and find her and make her evacuate..:banghead:

concernedperson
08-28-2005, 08:54 PM
I dont know, unless they go door to door and find her and make her evacuate..:banghead:It is too late.

Dark Knight
08-28-2005, 08:55 PM
Tornado warnings have been issued for much of south-eastern Louisiana, southern Mississippi, Albama and a portion of the Florida Panhandle.

13th Juror
08-28-2005, 08:57 PM
My prayers go out to all of those in the path of Hurricane Katrina. We've been keeping an eye on the hurricane, being we're in the panhandle and only under a tropical storm warning.

There was a lady on either The Weather Channel or Fox News. I didn't get her name but she works w/ animals and makes it her job to warn people about protecting their pets. She was reminding people evacuating not to forget about their pets. She said just leaving them is a death sentence. They have a better chance (slim, but a chance) of survival to just be turned loose to fend for themselves.

She said she talked to this one family who LEFT their two dogs in their crates on top of the washer & dryer. These poor dogs will have no chance of survival. If they don't drown when the waters rise, they'll starve or die of dehydration.

Of course I will be thinking of the people and their safety, but for the rest of the night I'm also going to be thinking of two little dogs left behind, probably scared and howling out to no one but the wind and rain! How terribly sad!

Me too, Kahskye! I'm praying for all the people in the path of this killer hurricane. I do care deeply for all of the human lives - but my heart belongs to all the helpless animals that will suffer & perish so mercilessly.

I simply cannot come to grips with the terror all the animals will be facing in the next hours & days. Pets left behind in crates, locked in the home or chained up or kenneled outside - all the stray cats & dogs already homeless from owner neglect - horses in pastures or old wooden barns - cows out in the fields - raccoons, squirrels, deer, and all the other critters .. it just breaks my heart to think of their plight and ultimate devastation.

I've been up all last night/all day as I simply cannot stop thinking about them. It's such a totally hopeless sinking feeling - as there is nothing what-so-ever I can do to help - this is out-of-my-control. I'm physically sick to my stomach but still praying hard for a miracle.

Watching Fox News and all the folks lined up with their emergency gear ready to enter the Superdome - I don't see a single soul with a pet carrier. Crated pets (family members) are not allowed in the shelter?? :confused: I'm speechless.

Please don't bash me - I DO care about human life and am not minimizing the importance of saving people from this horrific hurricane.

13th Juror

concernedperson
08-28-2005, 09:00 PM
Tornado warnings have been issued for much of south-eastern Louisiana, southern Mississippi, Albama and a portion of the Florida Panhandle.I am just so scared, I can't explain my fear right now. This is so formidable. I want to wake up in the morning and know my worst fears haven't happened. Not realistic just a hope.

Tom'sGirl
08-28-2005, 09:04 PM
Me too, Kahskye! I'm praying for all the people in the path of this killer hurricane. I do care deeply for all of the human lives - but my heart belongs to all the helpless animals that will suffer & perish so mercilessly.

I simply cannot come to grips with the terror all the animals will be facing in the next hours & days. Pets left behind in crates, locked in the home or chained up or kenneled outside - all the stray cats & dogs already homeless from owner neglect - horses in pastures or old wooden barns - cows out in the fields - raccoons, squirrels, deer, and all the other critters .. it just breaks my heart to think of their plight and ultimate devastation.

I've been up all last night/all day as I simply cannot stop thinking about them. It's such a totally hopeless sinking feeling - as there is nothing what-so-ever I can do to help - this is out-of-my-control. I'm physically sick to my stomach but still praying hard for a miracle.

Watching Fox News and all the folks lined up with their emergency gear ready to enter the Superdome - I don't see a single soul with a pet carrier. Crated pets (family members) are not allowed in the shelter?? :confused: I'm speechless.

Please don't bash me - I DO care about human life and am not minimizing the importance of saving people from this horrific hurricane.

13th Juror
No one's going to Bash you 13th, but reason has it everyone can't bring their pets into the Dome also.

There are thousands in there now and they say IF the lose power it will be havoc in there with the heat and no light.

The best hope is that those animals allowed to go free will head to higher ground like during the Sunami.

2sisters
08-28-2005, 09:05 PM
We are in southern MS an hour from New Orleans and we are just praying and waiting, I have family who didn't leave N.O. and we are worried. All you can do is pray though.

mic730
08-28-2005, 09:06 PM
That break my heart. I hope this woman as well as the others that refused to leave are sheltered.
So scary.

mic730
08-28-2005, 09:08 PM
Prayers to you and your family.
Godspeed.

We are in southern MS an hour from New Orleans and we are just praying and waiting, I have family who didn't leave N.O. and we are worried. All you can do is pray though.

concernedperson
08-28-2005, 09:09 PM
There are no good scenarios right now. For humans or pets. I am so aggreived and I will pray throughout the night.

Ntegrity
08-28-2005, 09:11 PM
I do care deeply for all of the human lives - but my heart belongs to all the helpless animals that will suffer & perish so mercilessly.

Same here. The people have enough sense to decide for themselves whether to flee, but the animals are at the mercy of their owners. When we were hit by Hurricane Opal 10 years ago, so many people left their pets behind in crates to drown. It makes me sick!!! My dogs (and cat) are like my children. I would never leave them in a situation like that. God bless the beasts and the children.

mic730
08-28-2005, 09:11 PM
Oh the animals...of I can't bear the thought.
For humans too but I know often there is no place to take animals.
This may sound silly but I am in southern VA. If anyone has family that needs a place to crash I have room. I know its probably not possible but I so want to help. Pets welcome and proof of ID that they live in the evacuated area.
Can't be too careful.

There are no good scenarios right now. For humans or pets. I am so aggreived and I will pray throughout the night.

mic730
08-28-2005, 09:16 PM
I know we don't post in the same forums but as you have time please please update us that you are OK. I feel sick over this.
Like knowing 911 is going to happen beforehand and I can't do anything about it.

Tom'sGirl
08-28-2005, 09:17 PM
Same here. The people have enough sense to decide for themselves whether to flee, but the animals are at the mercy of their owners. When we were hit by Hurricane Opal 10 years ago, so many people left their pets behind in crates to drown. It makes me sick!!! My dogs (and cat) are like my children. I would never leave them in a situation like that. God bless the beasts and the children.Exactly, when my friends daughter and her family lost their home down to the foundation in Miami during 'Andrew' they had their dogs with them when they took shelter.

They ended up rebuilding, and were hit again with Katrina, but not severely, Lost some of the roof, all the fencing on their corner lot and all the newly planted or young trees.

They are counting their blessings and following Katrina's path as we type.

concernedperson
08-28-2005, 09:25 PM
Oh folks, I am so afraid. This is the worst.

Tom'sGirl
08-28-2005, 09:27 PM
Oh folks, I am so afraid. This is the worst.
cp, are you alone or with family?

Where are you located, directly in the path of Katrina?

BarnGoddess
08-28-2005, 09:29 PM
Let's hope all are safe. I have one elderly cousin who resides near Lake Poncetrain. She has been evacuated to relatives in Georgia. I know of one of my classmates who is pretty high up with the power company. I assume he's safe until he's needed.

I will pray they are safe. I've been watching all day on Fox. Having survived Andrew and many, many before him in Miami, I know the fear, dangers and the fact that people will never learn when to get out of harm's way.

Ntegrity
08-28-2005, 09:32 PM
I know we don't post in the same forums but as you have time please please update us that you are OK. I feel sick over this.
Like knowing 911 is going to happen beforehand and I can't do anything about it.
Michelle, we're doing great here in NW Florida. We finally had one miss us, LOL!! I swear, we've been like a magnet for every hurricane in the last couple of years. This one was originally predicted to come straight for us after leaving Miami, then it changed to a more westerly course. I'm about 200 miles from New Orleans, so we don't expect things to get too bad. My heart is with everyone to the west of us. They're in for a very rough time. Those who had a chance to leave but refused to go are gonna be regretting that decision. It may end up being their last one. :(

Tom'sGirl
08-28-2005, 09:37 PM
the fact that people will never learn when to get out of harm's way.BG, that's what I can't get over. In a way I can understand the elderly not wanting to leave their little homes, but I saw a young gal on T.V with a three year old that's going to try and ride it out on her boyfriends boat.

Remembering the photos of boats on the freeway in Florida during Andrew I just can't understand this thinking.

concernedperson
08-28-2005, 09:38 PM
cp, are you alone or with family?

Where are you located, directly in the path of Katrina?

No, I am in Atlanta. But so many of my loved ones are there. My daughter and I are so worried. I am so worried about New Orleans residents and so worried about the repercussions. This is my home state where my babies and myself were born.Just being a painful citizen and hoping to send hope where it just doesn't seem to be redeeming right now.I am just so worried...I am just so worried.

mic730
08-28-2005, 09:39 PM
OMG. I am not watching now becuase I can't handle even reading someone doing this. On a boat no less.
Some things are beyond words.

BG, that's what I can't get over. In a way I can understand the elderly not wanting to leave their little homes, but I saw a young gal on T.V with a three year old that's going to try and ride it out on her boyfriends boat.

Remembering the photos of boats on the freeway in Florida during Andrew I just can't understand this thinking.

Tom'sGirl
08-28-2005, 09:41 PM
No, I am in Atlanta. But so many of my loved ones are there. My daughter and I are so worried. I am so worried about New Orleans residents and so worried about the repercussions. This is my home state where my babies and myself were born.Just being a painful citizen and hoping to send hope where it just doesn't seem to be redeeming right now.I am just so worried...I am just so worried.
Okay, NOW I understand why you say "it's the worst", you have family in the area.

Thanks for clearing that up for me as I thought I had missed you saying you were in LA.

upallnite
08-28-2005, 09:46 PM
I am so scared about what this hurricane is going to do.Those buildings are very old.Heard they are searching people for weapons and contraband as they come into the superdome and throwing the stuff away if they have it.I visit New Orleans all of the time and am greatly concerned.

concernedperson
08-28-2005, 09:52 PM
Okay, NOW I understand why you say "it's the worst", you have family in the area.

Thanks for clearing that up for me as I thought I had missed you saying you were in LA.
I know, I will throw a blanket about everything I love. Even with its ugly parts there are some things I love.I really do love Louisiana,there are some parts that are so awesome and there are some parts that are reprehensible.I always wanted to be a part that changed it and never had the opportunity.But right now we are looking at total destruction for the New Orleans area.This is where my heart is tonight. This is where we need to pray and pray really hard.

heavenlydaze
08-28-2005, 09:59 PM
Tammy just called again. There are major thunderstorms going on in Vancleave, Ms... She said it sounds like when she was a kid back in South Dakota. She held the phone out, and it didn't sound good. She called Marv (her Daddy) at the store and he's really worried. Then she called me here at the house and told me it looked to be a real scary experience, but that they would all be O.K. She said they were shutting off the power to the house and she would call me on her cell later tonight.

ariel7
08-28-2005, 10:00 PM
BG, that's what I can't get over. In a way I can understand the elderly not wanting to leave their little homes, but I saw a young gal on T.V with a three year old that's going to try and ride it out on her boyfriends boat.

Oh my goodness!!!!!
It is BAD enuff to put yourself at
risk!!!
However, to put a child at risk....
in such an IDIOTIC way is
BEYOND reprehensible.
I am at a loss for words.:(

I pray they are even now somewhere
safe.

love and prayers,

Ariel
:blowkiss:

Nore
08-28-2005, 10:03 PM

13th Juror

---------
I know what you are saying.I pray for all and will be coming here for updates.God~please watch over the animals.We know when to get out~they dont.Take care..

Beyond Belief
08-28-2005, 10:06 PM
This is so frightening. I hope FEMA begins processing those people in the dome over the next days. I can't see how they will have anything to go home too. The small amount of belongings they are carrying says to me, they expect to be going back home after this. I am just fearful there won't be any homes to go too. I think those of us looking on should start planning what we can donate to help the survivors. A relief fund site should be put on the net as soon as possible.

Nore
08-28-2005, 10:07 PM
Oh my goodness!!!!!
It is BAD enuff to put yourself at
risk!!!
However, to put a child at risk....
in such an IDIOTIC way is
BEYOND reprehensible.
I am at a loss for words.:(

I pray they are even now somewhere
safe.

love and prayers,

Ariel
:blowkiss:
----------

Ariel,the poor child is in the care of a mother who lacks a brain...Prayers

JBean
08-28-2005, 10:07 PM
Tammy just called again. There are major thunderstorms going on in Vancleave, Ms... She said it sounds like when she was a kid back in South Dakota. She held the phone out, and it didn't sound good. She called Marv (her Daddy) at the store and he's really worried. Then she called me here at the house and told me it looked to be a real scary experience, but that they would all be O.K. She said they were shutting off the power to the house and she would call me on her cell later tonight.Thinking of you HeavenlyD..please keep us posted.:blowkiss:

Tom'sGirl
08-28-2005, 10:15 PM
This is so frightening. I hope FEMA begins processing those people in the dome over the next days. I can't see how they will have anything to go home too. The small amount of belongings they are carrying says to me, they expect to be going back home after this. I am just fearful there won't be any homes to go too. I think those of us looking on should start planning what we can donate to help the survivors. A relief fund site should be put on the net as soon as possible.BB, I heard on the T.V. today that WATER will be the greatest thing in demand in the aftermath.

I know the family my friend who lives in Vero Beach will be driving there to help when it's over as one lives in Miami and the other in the Keys (Ram Rod Bay). They know the devastation it caused them, and that's that they live in beautiful well built homes.

Some of those poor people live in little Shantys, and I doubt they will get much help from FEMA, BUT dammit, this is America and we all should come to their aid..........we do for foreign countries for crying out loud!

concernedperson
08-28-2005, 10:16 PM
Kathleen was just on Fox she is very worried and feels that everything is in God's hands now. I just hate that...not saying they couldn't have done more it is just too much for anyone. Please pray!!!

Beyond Belief
08-28-2005, 10:17 PM
I was watching a webcam in LA, located on a street corner. So far just gusts of rain every once in awhile and the trees kick up. Two cars went flying by and a few seconds later a police car with their lights going was following them, I wonder whats going on?

Tom'sGirl
08-28-2005, 10:18 PM
----------

Ariel,the poor child is in the care of a mother who lacks a brain...Prayers
Yep, and she is the cutest little girl and oblivious of the situation.

Tom'sGirl
08-28-2005, 10:19 PM
Kathleen was just on Fox she is very worried and feels that everything is in God's hands now. I just hate that...not saying they couldn't have done more it is just too much for anyone. Please pray!!!
CC, I don't want to show my ignorance more often than I have to, but who is Kathleen you keep referring to?

lilpony
08-28-2005, 10:22 PM
Do any of our beloved websleuthers live in Louisiana? It looks likes its going to be bad there. I hope everyone in Louisiana left like they were ordered. If anyone lives there, I hope and pray you all will be safe....:blowkiss:

Beyond Belief
08-28-2005, 10:23 PM
BB, I heard on the T.V. today that WATER will be the greatest thing in demand in the aftermath.

I know the family my friend who lives in Vero Beach will be driving there to help when it's over as one lives in Miami and the other in the Keys (Ram Rod Bay). They know the devastation it caused them, and that's that they live in beautiful well built homes.

Some of those poor people live in little Shantys, and I doubt they will get much help from FEMA, BUT dammit, this is America and we all should come to their aid..........we do for foreign countries for crying out loud!
I have a store in Vero Beach.
Hearing through the grapevine...lots of people who lost most of their personal belongings last year in the Fl hurricanes had $10, 000 magically appear in their checking accounts to cover their loss. Most of them didn't even own anything near that value, so they got a step up. It took awhile but FEMA did come through for most people.
I will be praying that there is no loss of life in LA.
The silent heroes are the ones who appear during these frightening times.

Sassygerl
08-28-2005, 10:27 PM

That is the most idiotic thing I have heard of....well, I'm sure there are many, many more, but if the adults want to be so stupid fine, but don't put that baby in such danger. Bet they don't even have life jackets either.

I'm so worried about all these people!!!!! And there are still people wandering around Bourbon street! :(

concernedperson
08-28-2005, 10:29 PM
CC, I don't want to show my ignorance more often than I have to, but who is Kathleen you keep referring to?

Kathleen Babineaux Blanco the governor of Louisiana. I am from the same little town she is from, New Iberia. Her little brother was my boyfriend in 9th grade, Baron. Her family had a carpet store. It is a small world down there.I have known her all of my life although she is a little bit older than me. Ray Blanco her husband, brought Catholic HS to State championship and was instrumental in getting a lot of young guys to higher political power. Including, Mike Neustrom, the sheriff of Lafayette Parish.....

lilpony
08-28-2005, 10:30 PM
What!!! There going to ride it out in a boat. They gotta be nuts, anyone in there right mind would get out. There putting there baby in danger. Insane. I would have been along time ago. Some people have no brains. :banghead:

Tom'sGirl
08-28-2005, 10:31 PM
I have a store in Vero Beach.
Hearing through the grapevine...lots of people who lost most of their personal belongings last year in the Fl hurricanes had $10, 000 magically appear in their checking accounts to cover their loss. Most of them didn't even own anything near that value, so they got a step up. It took awhile but FEMA did come through for most people.
I will be praying that there is no loss of life in LA.
The silent heroes are the ones who appear during these frightening times.
BB, my friend lived most of her life in Melbourne, then went for a couple of years to live with one of her sons in his big house in Houston. She just moved back to Florida last month to a new condo, and as you know Vero Beach didn't get touched by Katrina.

She called me yesterday and told me that her daughter's (Miami) insurance isn't going to cover the cost of the roof damage (which I can understand due to the deductabe) but they were shocked that they won't cover the $6,000 fencing on their property.

Beyond Belief
08-28-2005, 10:31 PM
I bet they are long gone.

heavenlydaze
08-28-2005, 10:32 PM
Not everyone COULD get out. My daughter & her family tried. They got to the highway & discovered that too many people were out there, and Paul knew that some stretches on that hwy. dipped below sea level. He (we hope) made the right decision to return to their home. No matter what happens, I will always believe that they did everything they could to protect their children.

I'll keep folks posted here tonight if Tammy's cell tower doesn't go down. Thank all of you for being concerned. I'm praying to God Almighty for everyone in the way of this storm.

Deb

Beyond Belief
08-28-2005, 10:34 PM
BB, my friend lived most of her life in Melbourne, then went for a couple of years to live with one of her sons in his big house in Houston. She just moved back to Florida last month to a new condo, and as you know Vero Beach didn't get touched by Katrina.

She called me yesterday and told me that her daughter's (Miami) insurance isn't going to cover the cost of the roof damage (which I can understand due to the deductabe) but they were shocked that they won't cover the $6,000 fencing on their property.
I wonder why. I guess maybe we all better reread our insurance policies. I know mine doubled after last year and they decided I needed flood insurance and SINKHOLE insurance.

lilpony
08-28-2005, 10:35 PM
Not everyone COULD get out. My daughter & her family tried. They got to the highway & discovered that too many people were out there, and Paul knew that some stretches on that hwy. dipped below sea level. He (we hope) made the right decision to return to their home. No matter what happens, I will always believe that they did everything they could to protect their children.

I'll keep folks posted here tonight if Tammy's cell tower doesn't go down. Thank all of you for being concerned. I'm praying to God Almighty for everyone in the way of this storm.

Deb
HD..Oh my, your daughter and family live in La? I will be praying for all of them and of course you. You must be scard to death, just wondering alone if they will be safe. I hope her cell doesn't go out, so you can keep in touch with her. I will say many prayers.

concernedperson
08-28-2005, 10:40 PM

Deb

Praying for your family tonight.

Tom'sGirl
08-28-2005, 10:42 PM
HD..Oh my, your daughter and family live in La? I will be praying for all of them and of course you. You must be scard to death, just wondering alone if they will be safe. I hope her cell doesn't go out, so you can keep in touch with her. I will say many prayers.
They live in Vancleave, MS, bad area to be in right now!

concernedperson
08-28-2005, 10:45 PM
Guys without sounding like a total nincompoop let's keep praying really hard.I really believe in that power and it is really needed. Thanks.

lilpony
08-28-2005, 10:46 PM
They live in Vancleave, MS, bad area to be in right now!
Thank You, for the clarification. :)

Tom'sGirl
08-28-2005, 10:50 PM
Thank You, for the clarification. :)
YW lilpony,

I don't usually post in the Jury Room, but Katrina has me captivated with concern. I've about worn off the F5 button on my puter trying to keep this thread Refreshed for any up-dates.

Marthatex
08-28-2005, 10:51 PM
My nephew had just flown into New Orleans Fri. to begin school at Tulane. They promptly got all the students onto buses and took them up to Jackson, Ms. where he is now at a shelter. All his stuff is back at the dorm.

If this is a category 5 and hits New Orleans head-on, it essentially will be gone; under water. Water from Ponchatraine and the river will come in from all sides. I just hope they get everyone out. Evidently they were somewhat prepared for this possibility.

I lived in Baton Rouge and my parents are from the Shreveport area, so this is my second home; it will have to be built back; it will never be the same New Orleans. But just hope the people survive; and I feel so bad about the animals.

I am just praying that it turns and hits to the right of New Orleans.

lilpony
08-28-2005, 10:52 PM
YW lilpony,

I don't usually post in the Jury Room, but Katrina has me captivated with concern. I've about worn off the F5 button on my puter trying to keep this thread Refreshed for any up-dates.
Oh you should always visit the Jury room. We have great fun in here most times. Don't stay away!! :p

concernedperson
08-28-2005, 10:54 PM
My nephew had just flown into New Orleans Fri. to begin school at Tulane. They promptly got all the students onto buses and took them up to Jackson, Ms. where he is now at a shelter. All his stuff is back at the dorm.

If this is a category 5 and hits New Orleans head-on, it essentially will be gone; under water. Water from Ponchatraine and the river will come in from all sides. I just hope they get everyone out. Evidently they were somewhat prepared for this possibility.

I lived in Baton Rouge and my parents are from the Shreveport area, so this is my second home; it will have to be built back; it will never be the same New Orleans. But just hope the people survive; and I feel so bad about the animals.

Amen.Keep praying!

Shadow205
08-28-2005, 10:56 PM
Astronomical isn't it? You know Buzz, I have been through many hurricanes myself and have faithfully watched all the others, but this storm is scaring me so much I can't even say.Right now I am glued to the TV and I am so fearful for the people in New Orleans.I don't think a lot of people understand the ramifications. This is not just homes being leveled, this is major loss of human life. Not trying to be dramatic but I saw Kathleen Blanco's face this morning and I have known her all my life, and her agony was blatant. The mayor wasn't much better. The weather girl on Fox earlier grabbed her stomach. Prayers!!!!!
I am afraid that you are right. I think that this is going to be something that we have never seen before. I pray that those who chose to stay in the path of this storm or had no way to leave are spared from its fury. I can't even find words to say. They keep saying that this is something of "Bibical Proportions". I don't think that I like the sounds of that....

Beyond Belief
08-28-2005, 10:57 PM
heraldo is talking to the guys in the airplane inside the hurricane. tornardo activity on the eastern side of the hurricane. camille but bigger.

JBean
08-28-2005, 10:57 PM

MarthaT I have been particualrly worried about all the students . Please keep us posted on your nephew.

My understanding is that if it hits a little east it will be an even worse scenario as it will hit the Lake with greater force, sending even more water into NO. The only hope they have is if it pulls west..but there doesn't seem to be any indication that that will happen.

Marthatex
08-28-2005, 11:01 PM
Truly, I can't believe this is happening. OK, don't go right, PULL TO THE WEST. Just don't hit N. O. head on, please.

Let us pray for a miracle.

Nore
08-28-2005, 11:03 PM
I am still keeping watch and I am hoping and praying for all..

FACE-IT
08-28-2005, 11:04 PM
HURRICANE KATRINA ADVISORY NUMBER 25
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
10 PM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

...POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC HURRICANE KATRINA CONTINUES TO APPROACH
THE NORTHERN GULF COAST...

A HURRICANE WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR THE NORTH CENTRAL GULF COAST
FROM MORGAN CITY LOUISIANA EASTWARD TO THE ALABAMA/FLORIDA
BORDER...INCLUDING THE CITY OF NEW ORLEANS AND LAKE PONTCHARTRAIN.
PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY SHOULD BE RUSHED TO
COMPLETION.

EAST OF THE ALABAMA/FLORIDA BORDER TO DESTIN FLORIDA...AND FROM
WEST OF MORGAN CITY TO INTRACOASTAL CITY LOUISIANA.

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS ALSO IN EFFECT FROM DESTIN FLORIDA
EASTWARD TO INDIAN PASS FLORIDA...AND FROM INTRACOASTAL CITY
LOUISIANA WESTWARD TO CAMERON LOUISIANA.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...INCLUDING POSSIBLE
INLAND WATCHES AND WARNINGS...PLEASE MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED
BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.

AT 10 PM CDT...0300Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE KATRINA WAS LOCATED
NEAR LATITUDE 27.6 NORTH...LONGITUDE 89.4 WEST OR ABOUT 105 MILES
SOUTH OF THE MOUTH OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER AND ABOUT 170 MILES
SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF NEW ORLEANS LOUISIANA.

KATRINA IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTH-NORTHWEST NEAR 10 MPH...AND A
TURN TO THE NORTH IS EXPECTED OVER THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS. ON THE
FORECAST TRACK THE CENTER OF THE HURRICANE WILL BE VERY NEAR THE
NORTHERN GULF COAST MONDAY MORNING. HOWEVER...CONDITIONS ARE
ALREADY DETERIORATING ALONG PORTIONS OF THE CENTRAL AND
NORTHEASTERN GULF COAST...AND WILL CONTINUE TO WORSEN THROUGH THE
NIGHT.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 160 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS. KATRINA
IS A CATEGORY FIVE HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. SOME
FLUCTUATIONS IN STRENGTH ARE LIKELY PRIOR TO LANDFALL...AND KATRINA
IS EXPECTED TO MAKE LANDFALL AT EITHER CATEGORY FOUR OR FIVE
INTENSITY. WINDS AFFECTING THE UPPER FLOORS OF HIGH-RISE BUILDINGS
WILL BE SIGNIFICANTLY STRONGER THAN THOSE NEAR GROUND LEVEL.

KATRINA REMAINS A VERY LARGE HURRICANE. HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND
OUTWARD UP TO 105 MILES FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE
WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 230 MILES. A WIND GUST TO 90 MPH WAS
RECENTLY REPORTED FROM SOUTHWEST PASS LOUISIANA.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 904 MB...26.70 INCHES. AN
AIR FORCE RESERVE UNIT RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT WILL BE REACHING THE
CENTER OF KATRINA VERY SHORTLY.

LEVELS...LOCALLY AS HIGH AS 28 FEET...ALONG WITH LARGE AND DANGEROUS
CENTER MAKES LANDFALL. SOME LEVEES IN THE GREATER NEW ORLEANS AREA
COULD BE OVERTOPPED. SIGNIFICANT STORM SURGE FLOODING WILL OCCUR

RAINFALL TOTALS OF 5 TO 10 INCHES...WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM AMOUNTS OF
15 INCHES...ARE POSSIBLE ALONG THE PATH OF KATRINA ACROSS THE GULF
COAST AND THE TENNESSEE VALLEY. RAINFALL TOTALS OF 4 TO 8 INCHES
ARE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE OHIO VALLEY INTO THE EASTERN GREAT LAKES
REGION TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY.

ISOLATED TORNADOES WILL BE POSSIBLE THIS EVENING OVER SOUTHEASTERN
LOUISIANA...SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI...SOUTHERN ALABAMA...AND OVER THE
FLORIDA PANHANDLE TONIGHT.

REPEATING THE 10 PM CDT POSITION...27.6 N... 89.4 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...NORTH-NORTHWEST NEAR 10 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED
WINDS...160 MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE... 904 MB.

INTERMEDIATE ADVISORIES WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL
HURRICANE CENTER AT MIDNIGHT CDT AND 2 AM CDT FOLLOWED
BY THE NEXT COMPLETE ADVISORY AT 4 AM CDT.

FORECASTER FRANKLIN

Tom'sGirl
08-28-2005, 11:05 PM
Truly, I can't believe this is happening. OK, don't go right, PULL TO THE WEST. Just don't hit N. O. head on, please.

Let us pray for a miracle.I think tonight I'm NOT turning off the T.V. even though they say it won't hit until tomorrow morning..........is that right :confused:

JBean
08-28-2005, 11:06 PM

Let us pray for a miracle.Even my teens and young adult sons appreciate the magnitude of this and they are all glued to the television. It IS unbelievable.
Miracle sounds good.

FACE-IT
Highest Probability--New Orleans, Buras, LA, Gulfport, MS, Mpbile, AL

MOBILE AL 40 X X X 40
GULFPORT MS 54 X X X 54
BURAS LA 77 X X X 77
NEW ORLEANS LA 59 X X X 59

CHANCES OF CENTER OF THE HURRICANE PASSING WITHIN 65 NAUTICAL MILES
OF LISTED LOCATIONS THROUGH 7PM CDT WED AUG 31 2005

LOCATION A B C D E LOCATION A B C D E

31.8N 89.5W 43 2 X X 45 NANTUCKET MA X X X 2 2
34.8N 88.1W 3 30 1 X 34 HYANNIS MA X X X 2 2
37.7N 85.9W X 3 20 1 24 BOSTON MA X X X 2 2
CHARLESTON SC X X X 2 2 PORTLAND ME X X X 2 2
MYRTLE BEACH SC X X X 2 2 PANAMA CITY FL 1 1 X X 2
WILMINGTON NC X X X 2 2 PENSACOLA FL 18 3 1 X 22
MOREHEAD CITY NC X X X 2 2 MOBILE AL 40 X X X 40
CAPE HATTERAS NC X X X 2 2 GULFPORT MS 54 X X X 54
NORFOLK VA X X X 4 4 BURAS LA 77 X X X 77
OCEAN CITY MD X X X 5 5 NEW ORLEANS LA 59 X X X 59
ATLANTIC CITY NJ X X X 5 5 NEW IBERIA LA 28 1 X X 29
NEW YORK CITY NY X X X 5 5 GULF 29N 87W 8 2 X X 10
MONTAUK POINT NY X X X 3 3 GULF 28N 89W 99 X X X 99
PROVIDENCE RI X X X 3 3 GULF 28N 91W 47 X X X 47

COLUMN DEFINITION PROBABILITIES IN PERCENT
A IS PROBABILITY FROM NOW TO 7PM MON
FOLLOWING ARE ADDITIONAL PROBABILITIES
B FROM 7PM MON TO 7AM TUE
C FROM 7AM TUE TO 7PM TUE
D FROM 7PM TUE TO 7PM WED
E IS TOTAL PROBABILITY FROM NOW TO 7PM WED
X MEANS LESS THAN ONE PERCENT

concernedperson
I am afraid that you are right. I think that this is going to be something that we have never seen before. I pray that those who chose to stay in the path of this storm or had no way to leave are spared from its fury. I can't even find words to say. They keep saying that this is something of "Bibical Proportions". I don't think that I like the sounds of that....

The only thing I can say is pray..I have been in this mode all day.I am so upset as you can tell...pray, pray. I can't even think of another forum right now. I think we need to all be one this time because this is unpredicable and so potentially horrible.

FACE-IT
08-28-2005, 11:10 PM
Camille and Katrina are of equal intensity---160mph winds

LadyLuck
08-28-2005, 11:12 PM
Prayers for all in the path of this terrible storm. I hope it loses some of its strength before hitting land.

Liz
08-28-2005, 11:13 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with all who are in the path of this monstrocity of a hurricane; and all who have family members there, as well!

May God be with you and protect you all!

Also praying Katrina somehow miraculously decreases in strength!

Liz
08-28-2005, 11:16 PM
Prayers for all in the path of this terrible storm. I hope it loses some of its strength before hitting land.

LadyLuck, I'm with you, dear! May the power of two or more coming together in prayer, work some miracles, soon!

FACE-IT
08-28-2005, 11:18 PM
The only thing I can say is pray..I have been in this mode all day.I am so upset as you can tell...pray, pray. I can't even think of another forum right now. I think we need to all be one this time because this is unpredicable and so potentially horrible.

Highest Probabilities of where Katrina will come ashore

MOBILE AL 40 X X X 40
GULFPORT MS 54 X X X 54
BURAS LA 77 X X X 77

concernedperson
08-28-2005, 11:19 PM
LadyLuck, I'm with you, dear! May the power of two or more coming together in prayer, work some miracles, soon!

More than two keep praying. The predictions are 50,000 deaths. This is beyond horrible, keep praying all through the night.

Beyond Belief
08-28-2005, 11:21 PM
that webcam i have been watching which i think is on Napoleon St is showing more rain activity and still cars moving around. i thought there was a curfew, unless these are emergency workers moving around. the weather is definitely getting rough.

FACE-IT
08-28-2005, 11:24 PM
I think tonight I'm NOT turning off the T.V. even though they say it won't hit until tomorrow morning..........is that right :confused: Hurricane force winds are being felt now along the LA/MS coast. They eye is about 100 miles South of MS moving at 10mph. The eye will be there in 9 hours, or so.

Shadow205
08-28-2005, 11:26 PM
I am praying and sending Angels that way.

http://www.fortunecity.com/westwood/gallery/1035/Affiliations_files/image040.jpg

http://www.angelmessages.com/images/image21.jpg

Tom'sGirl
08-28-2005, 11:28 PM
Hurricane force winds are being felt now along the LA/MS coast. They eye is about 100 miles South of MS moving at 10mph. The eye will be there in 9 hours, or so.Thanks so much Buzz............

concernedperson
I am praying and sending Angels that way.

http://www.fortunecity.com/westwood/gallery/1035/Affiliations_files/image040.jpg

http://www.angelmessages.com/images/image21.jpg

I see lots of angels.

FACE-IT
Highest Probabilities of where Katrina will come ashore

MOBILE AL 40 X X X 40
GULFPORT MS 54 X X X 54
BURAS LA 77 X X X 77

Strike Probabilities Map (scroll down)

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/030734.shtml?prob

Shadow205
08-28-2005, 11:29 PM
Camille and Katrina are of equal intensity---160mph winds

....but Katrina is a much larger storm.

JBean
08-28-2005, 11:33 PM
Strike Probabilities Map (scroll down)

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/030734.shtml?prob (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/030734.shtml?prob)This is all greaat stuff Buzz..thanks.

mysteriew
Anyone know of any good beach webcam sites?

FACE-IT
....but Katrina is a much larger storm.Based on the map, it appears that New Orleans is going to catch hell. The center may pass just East of New Orleans, so it will catch the West side of the hurricane, which isn't as bad as the Northeast side, but it still isn't good.

kahskye
08-28-2005, 11:35 PM
More than two keep praying. The predictions are 50,000 deaths. This is beyond horrible, keep praying all through the night.
Wow, where did you hear the prediction of 50,000? I know many are going to ride it out. They (not sure what station, I think it was Fox) said thousands were staying and partying on Bourban St. drinking daiquiries (sp?) and felt they would be safe. One man interviewed, who is a life long resident of N.O. felt the media was making too much of this.

Tom'sGirl
Anyone know of any good beach webcam sites?
Not me for one, I rely on BB for the info.

Shadow205
Has anyone heard how bad it might get in Jackson, MS ? I just heard that TN will have hurrucane force winds and that is a lot further inland. If anyone can advise, I'm worried about family in MS.

concernedperson
08-28-2005, 11:39 PM
Has anyone heard how bad it might get in Jackson, MS ? I just heard that TN will have hurrucane force winds and that is a lot further inland. If anyone can advise, I'm worried about family in MS.

I heard 150 miles northwards and the horrible death prediction from Fox. I know it will be real bad but pray anyway..

Dark Knight
08-28-2005, 11:41 PM
The latest complete summary from Accuweather:

http://hurricane.accuweather.com/hurricane/storms.asp?ocean=atlantic&storm=Katrina&imagetype=headline&partner=accuweather

ETA: More details:

http://hurricane.accuweather.com/hurricane/regions.asp?site=atl&partner=

FACE-IT
08-28-2005, 11:43 PM
This time sequence gets updated every 15 minutes--if you look closely, you can see the coastlines for LA, MS, and AL. They are beginning to get hit pretty good by the outer part of Katrina. What a massive hurricane.

SadieJane
08-28-2005, 11:45 PM
I am in Baton Rouge, and right now it is sprinkling with a slight breeze. I have heard we will have 40-50 mph winds by tomorrow. I cannot even imagine how scared those with home and family in New Orleans must be right now. Hopefully everyone is in a shelter, and have arranged care for their pets, too!
I just heard Katrina is predicted to make landfall as a Category 4, rather than a Category 5. A very slight blessing, but hopefully the loss of life will be minimal.

Tom'sGirl
This time sequence gets updated every 15 minutes--if you look closely, you can see the coastlines for LA, MS, and AL. They are beginning to get hit pretty good by the outer part of Katrina. What a massive hurricane.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-ir4-loop.html (http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-ir4-loop.html)
Just announced that Katrina 130 miles out, 20-30 thousand now in the Dome.

Beyond Belief
http://www.nola.com/bourbocam/

the streetcar cam is the only one i can get anything on. after the picture comes up click on live video and you'll see the movement.
most of them are down already.

FACE-IT
08-28-2005, 11:51 PM
I am in Baton Rouge, and right now it is sprinkling with a slight breeze. I have heard we will have 40-50 mph winds by tomorrow. I cannot even imagine how scared those with home and family in New Orleans must be right now. Hopefully everyone is in a shelter, and have arranged care for their pets, too!
I just heard Katrina is predicted to make landfall as a Category 4, rather than a Category 5. A very slight blessing, but hopefully the loss of life will be minimal.Let's hope that prediction is correct. The outer edge hitting land now has a tendency to reduce wind speed--let's see what happens.

Category Four Hurricane:

Category Five Hurricane:
Winds greater than 155 mph (135 kt or 249 km/hr). Storm surge generally greater than 18 ft above normal. Complete roof failure on many residences and industrial buildings. Some complete building failures with small utility buildings blown over or away. All shrubs, trees, and signs blown down. Complete destruction of mobile homes. Severe and extensive window and door damage. Low-lying escape routes are cut by rising water 3-5 hours before arrival of the center of the hurricane. Major damage to lower floors of all structures located less than 15 ft above sea level and within 500 yards of the shoreline. Massive evacuation of residential areas on low ground within 5-10 miles (8-16 km) of the shoreline may be required. Only 3 Category Five Hurricanes have made landfall in the United States since records began: The Labor Day Hurricane of 1935, Hurricane Camille (1969), and Hurricane Andrew in August, 1992. The 1935 Labor Day Hurricane struck the Florida Keys with a minimum pressure of 892 mb--the lowest pressure ever observed in the United States. Hurricane Camille struck the Mississippi Gulf Coast causing a 25-foot storm surge, which inundated Pass Christian. Hurricane Andrew of 1992 made landfall over southern Miami-Dade County, Florida causing 26.5 billion dollars in losses--the costliest hurricane on record. In addition, Hurricane Gilbert of 1988 was a Category Five hurricane at peak intensity and is the strongest Atlantic tropical cyclone on record with a minimum pressure of 888 mb.

Tom'sGirl
08-28-2005, 11:52 PM
What I saw of Bourbon Street everything was boarded up! One guy said "when the French Quarter closes, that tells me something."

heavenlydaze
08-28-2005, 11:52 PM
I just calledTammy's cell & got no answer so I called Ashley's (my oldest Grandaughter(they are all over at Tammy's). She said that Mom was sleeping and that they felt scared, but safe. The wind is picking up a bit. They just got all the animals inside. It's really starting to rain now. But she said not like 'usual' whatever that means. I know they are in a bad location, but I continue to pray. Marv will be home shortly, and we'll watch this together.

Dark Knight
08-28-2005, 11:53 PM
(CNN) A statement from the National Weather Service in Slidell, near New Orleans, Louisiana, warned that much of the affected area "will be uninhabitable for weeks, perhaps longer."

Shadow205
08-28-2005, 11:54 PM
The Weather Channel is having updates every 30mins from the National Hurricane Center.

FACE-IT
08-29-2005, 12:03 AM
The Weather Channel is having updates every 30mins from the National Hurricane Center.The National Huricane Center is where I pull all of my info from.

Here's the local warning for New Orleans, Baton Rouge

WTUS84 KLIX 290334
HLSLIX
LAZ038-040-050-056>070-MSZ080>082-290800-

HURRICANE KATRINA LOCAL STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW ORLEANS LA
1030 PM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

...DIRECT STRIKE OF POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC AND LIFE THREATENING
HURRICANE EXPECTED LATE TONIGHT AND EARLY MONDAY...

...RUSH PROTECTIVE MEASURES TO COMPLETION...

...HURRICANE WARNING IN EFFECT FOR SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA AND COASTAL
MISSISSIPPI FROM MORGAN CITY EAST TO THE ALABAMA FLORIDA BORDER....

...HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXPECTED ALONG SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA
COAST AROUND MIDNIGHT THEN SPREADING INLAND...

...AREAS AFFECTED...
IN SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA...THE FOLLOWING PARISHES

ASSUMPTION...ST JAMES...ST JOHN THE BAPTIST...ST CHARLES...
ST BERNARD...TERREBONNE...ORLEANS...JEFFERSON...PLAQU EMINE...
LAFOURCHE...ST TAMMANY...TANGIPAHOA...LIVINGSTON.

IN COASTAL MISSISSIPPI...THE FOLLOWING COUNTIES
HANCOCK...HARRISON...JACKSON

...WATCHES AND WARNINGS...
A HURRICANE WARNING IS IN EFFECT FROM EAST OF MORGAN CITY EAST TO THE
ALABAMA-FLORIDA BORDER AREA. THIS INCLUDES THE METRO NEW ORLEANS
AREA...AND THE MISSISSIPPI COAST.

AN INLAND HURRICANE WARNING IS ALSO IN EFFECT FOR AREAS AWAY FROM THE
COAST.

A FLOOD WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR MOST OF SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA AND
EXTREME SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI TONIGHT.

A TORNADO WATCH IS IN EFFECT THROUGH 200 AM MONDAY.

...STORM INFORMATION...
AT 1000 PM CDT...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE KATRINA WAS LOCATED NEAR
LATITUDE 27.6 NORTH...LONGITUDE 89.4 WEST OR ABOUT 105 MILES SOUTH
SOUTHEAST OF NEW ORLEANS.

HURRICANE KATRINA IS A CATEGORY FIVE HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR
SIMPSON SCALE. SOME FLUCTUATIONS IN STRENGTH ARE LIKELY AS THE
HURRICANE APPROACHES THE COAST. KATRINA IS EXPECTED TO MAKE
LANDFALL AS A CATEGORY FOUR OR FIVE HURRICANE PACKING SUSTAINED 160
MPH WINDS. HURRICANE KATRINA IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTH NORTHWEST
NEAR 10 MPH AND A GRADUAL TURN TOWARD THE NORTH IS EXPECTED LATER
TONIGHT AND MONDAY.

...PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
PROTECT YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. FOLLOW LOCAL EMERGENCY MANAGERS
RECOMMENDATIONS. WITH THE APPROACH OF HURRICANE FORCE WINDS AND
HEAVY SQUALLS PEOPLE ARE URGED TO SEEK REFUGE OF LAST RESORT IN
STRONG REINFORCED BUILDINGS. IF LIFE THREATENING STORM SURGE FLOODING
DEVELOPS...MOVE TO HIGHER FLOORS OR HOUSE ATTICS. BRING TOOLS TO MAKE
AN EMERGENCY EXIT SHOULD THESE HIGHER FLOORS OR ATTICS BECOME
INUNDATED.

...STORM SURGE FLOOD AND STORM TIDE IMPACTS...
KATRINA IS EXPECTED TO MAKE LANDFALL ALONG THE NORTHERN GULF OF
MEXICO COAST AS A CATASTROPHIC AND LIFE THREATENING HURRICANE. WHILE
EXACT LANDFALL OF LANDFALL IS UNCERTAIN AT THIS TIME...SIGNIFICANT
AND LIFE THREATENING STORM SURGE 18 TO 22 FEET ABOVE NORMAL. A FEW
AREAS MAY EXPERIENCE STORM SURGE FLOODING AS HIGH AS 28 FEET ALONG
WITH LARGE AND DANGEROUS BATTERING WAVES NEAR AND TO THE EAST OF
WHERE THE CENTER MAKES LANDFALL. SECONDARY ROADS ALONG THE COAST AND
OUTSIDE LEVEE PROTECTION AREA WILL BECOME IMPASSABLE IN THE NEXT
SEVERAL HOURS.

...WIND IMPACTS...
KATRINA HAS EVOLVED INTO A LARGE HURRICANE WITH HURRICANE FORCE WINDS
EXTENDING AROUND 100 MILES FROM THE CENTER. TROPICAL STORM
FORCE WINDS ARE OCCURRING OVER MUCH OF THE COASTAL AREA. HURRICANE
FORCE WINDS WILL SPREAD INTO COASTAL SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA
SHORTLY BEFORE MIDNIGHT AND INTO MUCH OF THE REMAINDER AREA BY 400 AM
CDT. HURRICANE FORCE WINDS WILL PERSIST OVER MUCH OF THE REGION
THROUGH EARLY MONDAY AFTERNOON.

KATRINA IS FORECAST TO MOVE ASHORE AS A CATEGORY FOUR OR FIVE
HURRICANE...SIMILAR IN STRENGTH TO HURRICANE CAMILLE IN 1969. WINDS
ASSOCIATED CATEGORY 4 AND CATEGORY 5 HURRICANE CAN TOTALLY DESTROY
MOBILE HOMES AND POORLY CONSTRUCTED DWELLINGS...AND CAUSE MAJOR
DAMAGE TO EVEN WELL CONSTRUCTED BUILDINGS. HIGHER WIND SPEEDS WILL
BE SIGNIFICANTLY STRONGER ON UPPER FLOORS OF TALL BUILDINGS CAUSING
DAMAGE.

...TORNADOES...
A TORNADO WATCH HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR MUCH OF SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA
AND COASTAL MISSISSIPPI FOR THIS EVENING DUE TO THE THREAT OF
TORNADOES. THE THREAT OF TORNADOES WILL CONTINUE THROUGHOUT THE
NIGHT ACROSS THE AREA.

...RAINFALL...
RAINFALL TOTALS OF 8 TO 10 INCHES...WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM AMOUNTS OF
15 INCHES...ARE POSSIBLE.

Beyond Belief
08-29-2005, 12:03 AM
Their talking about a major inland effect. Everyone in that cone needs to be prepared. This is going to be major for millions of Americans.

Shadow205
08-29-2005, 12:04 AM
Just heard on Fox, they are expecting a storm surge of 20ft for Mobile, Al. and devastating flooding for the Mobile Bay area.

I heard earlier that New Orleans could be under water for months.

Marthatex
08-29-2005, 12:07 AM
Please Lord, or Higher Power, protect these innocent people from harm, help the storm to slow down, help the levees to hold, help people and animals get to high ground, help the Superdome to hold up, please watch over our fellow Americans, our comrades, our families. Thank you, amen.

group prayer, group prayer....

FACE-IT
08-29-2005, 12:08 AM
Just heard on Fox, they are expecting a storm surge of 20ft for Mobile, Al. and devastating flooding for the Mobile Bay area.

I heard earlier that New Orleans could be under water for months.if they lose the levees, which is likely to happen, it will take a long time to rebuild the levees, pump all of tye water back out, and then rebuild the city. Dim prospects. They said the levees are 15 feet high, and if the storm surge is more than that, which it is supposed to be, it's Katie bar the door.

Marthatex
08-29-2005, 12:10 AM
if they lose the levees, which is likely to happen, it will take a long time to rebuild the levees, pump all of tye water back out, and then rebuild the city. Dim prospects. They said the levees are 15 feet high, and if the storm surge is more than that, which it is supposed to be, it's Katie bar the door.

Where will all these displaced people go, or stay?

FACE-IT
08-29-2005, 12:12 AM
LOcal Bulletin for Jackson, MSHURRICANE KATRINA LOCAL STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE JACKSON MS
1050 PM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

THE NORTH CENTRAL GULF COAST...

...AREAS AFFECTED...
THIS STATEMENT APPLIES TO PEOPLE IN CENTRAL AND EASTERN MISSISSIPPI.

...WATCHES/WARNINGS...
INLAND HURRICANE WARNINGS HAVE BEEN ISSUED FOR MARION...LAMAR...
FORREST...LINCOLN...LAWRENCE...JEFFERSON DAVIS...COVINGTON...
JONES...COPIAH...SIMPSON...SMITH...JASPER...CLARKE ...RANKIN...
HINDS...MADISON...SCOTT...NEWTON...LAUDERDALE...LE AKE...NESHOBA AND
KEMPER COUNTIES.

INLAND TROPICAL STORM WARNINGS HAVE BEEN ISSUED FOR ADAMS...
FRANKLIN...JEFFERSON...CLAIBORNE AND WARREN COUNTIES.

INLAND HURRICANE WATCHES HAVE BEEN ISSUED FOR
ATTALA...WINSTON...NOXUBEE...CHOCTAW...OKTIBBEHA.. .LOWNDES...
WEBSTER...AND CLAY COUNTIES.

INLAND TROPICAL STORM WATCHES HAVE BEEN ISSUED FOR
GRENADA...CARROLL...MONTGOMERY...HOLMES AND YAZOO COUNTIES.

A FLASH FLOOD WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR MUCH OF CENTRAL AND EASTERN
MISSISSIPPI.

A TORNADO WATCH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 2 AM FOR JEFFERSON DAVIS...
LAWRENCE...LINCOLN...MARION...COVINGTON...FORREST. ..JONES...AND
LAMAR COUNTIES.

...STORM INFORMATION...
AT 10 PM CDT...THE EYE OF HURRICANE KATRINA WAS LOCATED NEAR
LATITUDE 27.6 NORTH...LONGITUDE 89.4 WEST OR ABOUT 105 MILES SOUTH
OF THE MOUTH OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER. KATRINA IS MOVING TOWARD THE
NORTH-NORTHWEST NEAR 10 MPH...WITH A GRADUAL TURN TO THE NORTH
EXPECTED MONDAY MORNING. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 160
MPH...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. THIS MAKES KATRINA A RARE AND EXTREMELY
DANGEROUS CATEGORY FIVE STORM ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. SOME
FLUCTUATIONS IN INTENSITY ARE ANTICIPATED...BUT KATRINA IS FORECAST
TO MAKE LANDFALL AT THE CATEGORY FOUR OR FIVE LEVEL.

WHILE THE HURRICANE WILL WEAKEN AS IT MOVES INLAND MONDAY...THE
HURRICANE WILL LIKELY STILL BE A CATEGORY TWO HURRICANE UP TO THE
HIGHWAY 98 CORRIDOR. KATRINA WILL STILL BE A HURRICANE WELL INTO
CENTRAL MISSISSIPPI...AND A STRONG TROPICAL STORM AS IT MOVES INTO
NORTHERN MISSISSIPPI.

PRECAUTIONS SHOULD HAVE BEEN COMPLETED BY NOW FOR THE POTENTIAL OF
VERY STRONG...DAMAGING WINDS AND FOR THE POSSIBILITY OF PROLONGED
POWER OUTAGES OF SEVERAL DAYS TO PERHAPS A FEW WEEKS. PEOPLE
RESIDING IN HOMES THAT ARE NOT WELL CONSTRUCTED SHOULD HAVE MOVED TO
A SAFER ALTERNATIVE LOCATION TO RIDE THE PASSAGE OF THE STORM
OUT...PARTICULARLY OVER AREAS SOUTH OF INTERSTATE 20 AND EAST OF
INTERSTATE 55 WHERE THE VERY STRONGEST WINDS COULD OCCUR.

THE SERIOUSNESS OF THIS SITUATION CANNOT BE OVEREMPHASIZED!
HURRICANE KATRINA IS THE SAME STRENGTH AS HURRICANE CAMILLE WHEN IT
MADE LANDFALL IN 1969...BUT IS EVEN LARGER IN SIZE...MEANING THE
POTENTIAL DAMAGE MAY COVER A MORE EXTENSIVE AREA. IT IS BECOMING
INCREASINGLY LIKELY THAT KATRINA WILL CAUSE EXTENSIVE DAMAGE ACROSS
PARTS OF CENTRAL AND EASTERN MISSISSIPPI ON MONDAY AND MONDAY NIGHT.

THIS IS A POTENTIALLY LIFE THREATENING SITUATION...DO NOT TAKE IT
LIGHTLY! PLEASE FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS OF STATE...COUNTY AND LOCAL
EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT OFFICIALS WITH REGARD TO EVACUATIONS AND
PREPAREDNESS ACTIVITIES.

...WIND IMPACTS...
BASED ON THE CURRENT FORECAST TRACK...HURRICANE FORCE SUSTAINED
WINDS OF 80 TO 100 MPH...WITH HIGHER GUSTS...APPEAR LIKELY IN THE
HURRICANE WARNING AREA. IN ADDITION TO DOWNING THOUSANDS OF TREES
AND CAUSING EXTENSIVE POWER OUTAGES...THESE WINDS COULD ALSO CAUSE
STRUCTURAL DAMAGE TO BUILDINGS AND DESTROY LESS WELL CONSTRUCTED
STRUCTURES.

IN THE HURRICANE WATCH AREA...SUSTAINED HURRICANE FORCE WINDS OF 75
MPH...WITH HIGHER GUSTS...COULD OCCUR...WITH THE STRONGEST WINDS
ALONG AND EAST OF THE PATH OF THE HURRICANE. IN THE TROPICAL STORM
WATCH AREA...SUSTAINED WINDS OF 40 TO 60 MPH WITH GUSTS TO HURRICANE
FORCE MAY OCCUR. WIND DAMAGE COULD BE EXTENSIVE IN THESE AREAS AS
WELL...WITH WIDESPREAD POWER OUTAGES AND DAMAGE TO STRUCTURES
POSSIBLE.

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS SHOULD BEGIN TO OVERSPREAD THE BROOKHAVEN
TO HATTIESBURG REGION DURING THE EARLY MORNING HOURS MONDAY...REACH
THE INTERSTATE 20 CORRIDOR DURING THE MIDDAY HOURS...AND THE HIGHWAY
82 CORRIDOR TOWARD THE LATE EVENING. THE WINDS SHOULD PEAK IN THE
PINE BELT REGION DURING THE AFTERNOON AND EVENING HOURS
MONDAY...WHERE A SEVERAL HOUR PERIOD OF SUSTAINED HURRICANE FORCE
WINDS ARE POSSIBLE...WHILE THE WORST CONDITIONS FOR THE INTERSTATE
20 CORRIDOR WILL LIKELY BE DURING THE LATE AFTERNOON AND EVENING
HOURS.

IT IS IMPORTANT TO RECOGNIZE THAT ALTHOUGH THE LANDFALL OF KATRINA
IS LESS THAN 12 HOURS AWAY...SOME CHANGES COULD STILL OCCUR TO THE
FORECAST TRACK. A TRACK FARTHER TO THE WEST WOULD CAUSE THE
STRONGEST WINDS AND HEAVIEST RAIN TO SHIFT FARTHER WEST AND
OVERSPREAD THE AREA TOWARD THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER...WHILE A TRACK
FARTHER EAST WOULD CAUSE THE WORST WEATHER TO BE CONFINED TO EASTERN
MISSISSIPPI.

...INLAND FLOODING IMPACTS...
TORRENTIAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 5 TO 10 INCHES...WITH LOCALIZED
GREATER AMOUNTS...COULD OCCUR IN THE AREA ALONG AND TO THE EAST OF
THE TRACK. THIS COULD CAUSE URBAN FLOODING AND FLASH FLOODING OF
SMALL STREAMS AND CREEKS. RIVER FLOODING IS EXPECTED TO BE MINIMAL
UNLESS HEAVIER RAINFALL THAN FORECAST OCCURS.

...INLAND TORNADO IMPACTS...
THE RISK OF TORNADOES WILL INCREASE ACROSS THE INTERSTATE 59
CORRIDOR AS THE NIGHT WEARS ON AND THE EYE OF HURRICANE KATRINA
MOVES CLOSER TO THE COAST.

THE RISK OF TORNADOES WILL EXPAND TO COVER MUCH OF EASTERN AND
CENTRAL MISSISSIPPI ON MONDAY AND MONDAY NIGHT AS KATRINA MOVES
INLAND. AN ENHANCED RISK OF TORNADOES WILL LIKELY EXIST ALONG AND
EAST OF A MONTICELLO TO COLUMBUS LINE.

...PROBABILITY OF TROPICAL STORM/HURRICANE CONDITIONS...
THE EXPERIMENTAL PROBABILITY OF TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS ASSOCIATED
WITH KATRINA FOR JACKSON IS 85 PERCENT. THE PROBABILITY OF HURRICANE
FORCE WINDS IS 27 PERCENT.

...NEXT UPDATE...
THE NEXT UPDATE WILL BE ISSUED BY 2 AM CDT.

$$

Tom'sGirl
08-29-2005, 12:12 AM
Where will all these displaced people go, or stay?Good question heard it's 1/2 million people.

FACE-IT
08-29-2005, 12:13 AM
Local Bulletin for Birmingham, AL

HURRICANE LOCAL STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BIRMINGHAM AL
1037 PM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

...HURRICANE KATRINA TO BRING HIGH WINDS AND HEAVY RAINS TO PARTS OF
CENTRAL ALABAMA...

...AN INLAND TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR COUNTIES ALONG
AND WEST OF INTERSTATE 65 FROM 8 AM MONDAY TO 4 PM TUESDAY...

...A WIND ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FOR COUNTIES EAST OF INTERSTATE
65 FROM 1 PM MONDAY UNTIL 4 PM TUESDAY...

...A FLOOD WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR ALL COUNTIES SERVED BY THE NATIONAL
WEATHER SERVICE OFFICE IN BIRMINGHAM FROM 4 PM MONDAY THROUGH 7 PM
CDT TUESDAY...

...AREAS AFFECTED...
THIS STATEMENT PERTAINS TO ALL CENTRAL ALABAMA COUNTIES SERVICED
BY THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OFFICE IN BIRMINGHAM.

...WATCHES/WARNINGS...
AN INLAND TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR COUNTIES ALONG
AND WEST OF INTERSTATE 65 FROM 8AM MONDAY TO 4 PM TUESDAY.

A WIND ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FOR COUNTIES EAST OF INTERSTATE 65
FROM 1 PM MONDAY UNTIL 4 PM TUESDAY.

A FLOOD WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR ALL COUNTIES SERVED BY THE NATIONAL
WEATHER SERVICE OFFICE IN BIRMINGHAM FROM 4 PM MONDAY THROUGH 7 PM
CDT TUESDAY.

...STORM INFORMATION...
AT 10 PM CDT...0300Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE KATRINA WAS LOCATED
NEAR LATITUDE 27.6 NORTH...LONGITUDE 89.4 WEST OR ABOUT 105 MILES
SOUTH OF THE MOUTH OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER AND ABOUT 170 MILES
SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF NEW ORLEANS LOUISIANA.

TURN TO THE NORTH IS EXPECTED OVER THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS. ON THE
FORECAST TRACK THE CENTER OF THE HURRICANE WILL BE VERY NEAR THE
NORTHERN GULF COAST EARLY MONDAY MORNING. HOWEVER...CONDITIONS ARE
ALREADY DETERIORATING ALONG PORTIONS OF THE CENTRAL AND
NORTHEASTERN GULF COAST...AND WILL CONTINUE TO WORSEN THROUGH THE
NIGHT.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 160 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS. KATRINA
IS A CATEGORY FIVE HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. SOME
FLUCTUATIONS IN STRENGTH ARE LIKELY PRIOR TO LANDFALL...AND KATRINA
IS EXPECTED TO MAKE LANDFALL AT EITHER CATEGORY FOUR OR FIVE
INTENSITY.

KATRINA REMAINS A VERY LARGE HURRICANE. HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND
OUTWARD UP TO 105 MILES FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE
WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 230 MILES. A WIND GUST TO 90 MPH WAS
RECENTLY REPORTED FROM SOUTHWEST PASS LOUISIANA.

THE ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 904 MB...26.70 INCHES.

RESIDENTS OF CENTRAL ALABAMA SHOULD HAVE ALREADY COMPLETED THEIR
NECESSARY PREPARATION PLANS. HIGH WINDS AND HEAVY RAINS CAN BE
EXPECTED ACROSS CENTRAL ALABAMA STARTING TOMORROW MORNING.

...WIND IMPACTS...
WINDS CAN BE EXPECTED TO INCREASE ACROSS CENTRAL ALABAMA BEGINNING
EARLY MONDAY MORNING AND INCREASING THROUGHOUT THE DAY. THE STRONGEST
WINDS WILL BE ALONG AND JUST EAST OF THE HURRICANE TRACK WITH THOSE
AREAS ALONG THE ALABAMA MISSISSIPPI STATE LINE LIKELY TO BE SUSTAINED
AT 45 TO 60 MPH WITH GUSTS TO NEAR HURRICANE FORCE...FROM LINDEN AND
DEMOPOLIS NORTHWARD TO FAYETTE AND HAMILTON. TROPICAL STORM FORCE
WINDS WILL EXTEND EASTWARD TO AREAS IN AND NEAR INTERSTATE 65...WHERE
WINDS OF 35 TO 45 MPH CAN BE EXPECTED. LOCATIONS EAST OF INTERSTATE
65 CAN EXPECT WINDS 25 TO 35 MPH...WITH GUSTS TO 45 MPH.

WINDS AT THESE SPEEDS...IN COMBINATION OF SATURATED SOILS...CAN
TOPPLE NUMEROUS TREES AND POWERLINES...CAUSING POWER OUTAGES.

AN INLAND TROPICAL STORM WARNING MEANS WINDS OF 39 TO 73 MPH ARE
EXPECTED DUE TO A LANDFALLING HURRICANE OR TROPICAL STORM...WITHIN
THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

A WIND ADVISORY MEANS THAT WINDS OF 24 TO 39 MPH ARE EXPECTED.

...FLOOD IMPACTS...
BASED ON THE CURRENT FORECAST TRACK OF HURRICANE KATRINA...3 TO 6
INCHES OF RAINFALL...WITH ISOLATED AMOUNTS OF 6 TO 8 INCHES...IS
POSSIBLE WEST OF INTERSTATE 65...WITH 2 TO 5 INCHES EXPECTED EAST OF
INTERSTATE 65.

A FLASH FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FOR ALL COUNTIES SERVED BY THE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OFFICE IN BIRMINGHAM FROM 4 PM MONDAY
THROUGH 7 PM CDT TUESDAY.

RAINFALL ACROSS MUCH OF THE AREA DURING THE PAST MONTH HAS LED TO
SATURATED GROUND CONDITIONS...AND ANY ADDITIONAL HEAVY RAINFALL WILL
RESULT IN RAPID RUNOFF AND POTENTIAL FLASH FLOODING.

WITH ABOVE NORMAL RIVER FLOW IN MANY LOCATIONS...HEAVY RAINFALL FROM
KATRINA WILL AGGRAVATE RIVER CONDITIONS. RIVER FLOODING IS LIKELY TO
BECOME A SIGNIFICANT PROBLEM BY TUESDAY ACROSS CENTRAL ALABAMA. THIS
FLOODING WILL LAST FOR SEVERAL DAYS. DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE WATER
BEGINS RISING TO MAKE PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT LIVES AND PROPERTY.
EVACUATIONS FROM LOWLANDS MAY NOT BE POSSIBLE DUE TO DOWNED TREES AND
POWERLINES AND RAPIDLY RISING WATER. PREPARATIONS SHOULD HAVE
ALREADY BEEN BE BROUGHT TO COMPLETION BY THIS EVENING.

...TORNADO THREAT...
AS RAIN BANDS ROTATE NORTHWARD INTO CENTRAL ALABAMA LATE TONIGHT
AND EARLY MONDAY...THEY WILL BRING THE THREAT OF ISOLATED
TORNADOES TO THE AREA. THE THREAT FOR TORNADOES WILL BE ENHANCED
DURING THE DAY MONDAY...WHEN DAYTIME HEATING WILL PROVIDE ADDED
INSTABILITY AND LIFT TO SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS. THE THREAT
OF ISOLATED TORNADOES WILL EXTEND WELL INTO MONDAY NIGHT...AND
POSSIBLY INTO EARLY TUESDAY.

...ADDITIONAL INFORMATION...
KATRINA IS NOW AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CATEGORY 5 HURRICANE WITH
WINDS NEAR 160 MPH. SOME FLUCTUATIONS IN STRENGTH ARE LIKELY PRIOR
TO LANDFALL...AND KATRINA IS EXPECTED TO MAKE LANDFALL AT EITHER
CATEGORY FOUR OR FIVE INTENSITY.

THE ALABAMA DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION HAS SET UP A HOT LINE
FOR ROAD CLOSURE INFORMATION IN SOUTH ALABAMA. THE ACCESS NUMBER
IS 1-888-588-2848.

TO REPORT DOWN POWER LINES TO PLEASE CALL ALABAMA POWER AT 800-888-

TO REPORT SEVERE WEATHER...OR DAMAGE FROM HURRICANE KATRINA...CALL
OUR STORM REPORTING HOTLINE AT 1-800-856-0758.

...NEXT UPDATE...
THE NEXT HURRICANE LOCAL STATEMENT WILL BE UPDATED AROUND 4 AM CDT.

Beyond Belief
08-29-2005, 12:13 AM
This is so frightening. Can something like the tsunami wave form in a storm like this?

lilpony
08-29-2005, 12:14 AM
Holy Cow, this is scarey. People in those areas, must be scared to death. I pray that the storm loses strength, before it hits land. Gosh, its not going to go in the direction of Texas is it? I pray not!

FACE-IT
08-29-2005, 12:15 AM
Local Bulletin fopr Huntsville, AL

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HUNTSVILLE AL
1037 PM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

...HURRICANE KATRINA WILL AFFECT THE TENNESSEE VALLEY BY MONDAY
EVENING...

...AREAS AFFECTED...THIS STATEMENT COVERS ALL OF THE NORTHERN
ALABAMA AND SOUTHERN MIDDLE TENNESSEE COUNTIES SERVICED BY THE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN HUNTSVILLE.

...WATCHES/WARNINGS...AN INLAND TROPICAL STORM WATCH IS IN
EFFECT FROM 7 PM MONDAY EVENING UNTIL 4 PM TUESDAY AFTERNOON FOR
ALL OF THE NORTHERN ALABAMA AND SOUTHERN MIDDLE TENNESSEE COUNTIES
SERVICED BY THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN HUNTSVILLE ALABAMA.

FLOOD WATCH IS IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY EVENING TO TUESDAY EVENING
FOR THE COUNTIES COVERED BY THE NWS OFFICE IN HUNTSVILLE.

...STORM INFORMATION... AT 10PM CDT...0300Z...THE CENTER OF
HURRICANE KATRINA WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 27.6 NORTH...LONGITUDE
89.4 WEST OR ABOUT 105 MILES SOUTH OF THE MOUTH OF THE MISSISSIPPI
RIVER. KATRINA IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTH-NORTHWEST NEAR 10 MPH...AND
A TURN TO THE NORTH IS EXPECTED OVER THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS.

...PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... ENSURE ALL LOOSE
OUTDOOR OBJECTS REMAIN SECURE...INCLUDING PATIO FURNITURE AND
TRASH CANS. MAKE PLANS NOW TO MOVE OUTDOOR PETS TO A SAFE INDOOR
LOCATION BY MONDAY EVENING...CONTINUING INTO TUESDAY AFTERNOON.

...INLAND WIND IMPACTS... WINDS ACROSS NORTH ALABAMA ARE
EXPECTED TO INCREASE TO 15 TO 25 MPH BY LATE MONDAY
AFTERNOON...WITH GUSTS TO 35 MPH. TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS ARE
POSSIBLE ACROSS THE AREA BEGINNING BY MONDAY EVENING FROM THE
SOUTH...SPREADING NORTH AND NORTHEAST OVERNIGHT MONDAY AND INTO
EARLY TUESDAY...CONTINUING UNTIL TUESDAY AFTERNOON...WITH
SUSTAINED WINDS OF 30 TO 40 MPH AND OCCASIONAL GUSTS TO 50 MPH
EXPECTED.

...FLOODING IMPACTS... RAINFALL FROM HURRICANE KATRINA WILL
OVERSPREAD THE TENNESSEE VALLEY...WITH LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL
OCCURRING FROM MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH MUCH OF TUESDAY. CURRENT ESTIMATES
OF RAINFALL FROM THIS STORM RANGE FROM 1 TO 3 INCHES ACROSS
NORTHEAST ALABAMA...WITH 3 TO 6 INCHES POSSIBLE OVER AREAS WEST OF
INTERSTATE 65.

THIS HEAVY RAINFALL WILL LIKELY RESULT IN RISES ON AREA CREEKS...
STREAMS AND RIVERS. LOCALLY HEAVIER RAINFALL CAN BE EXPECTED
ACROSS NORTHWEST ALABAMA...CLOSEST TO THE STORM CENTER.

...TORNADO IMPACTS... ISOLATED TORNADOES WILL BECOME A
POSSIBILITY BY MONDAY EVENING TO THE NORTHEAST OF THE TRACK OF
HURRICANE KATRINA ACROSS THE TENNESSEE VALLEY IN THE OUTER
RAINBANDS. THE TORNADO THREAT WILL LIKELY EXIST INTO
TUESDAY...UNTIL KATRINA MOVES NORTH OF THE AREA.

...NEXT UPDATE... THE NEXT SCHEDULED HURRICANE KATRINA LOCAL STATEMENT
WILL BE ISSUED BY 4 AM CDT.

$$

lilpony
08-29-2005, 12:15 AM
This is so frightening. Can something like the tsunami wave form in a storm like this?
You took that thought right out of my mind. But I wasn't going to ask, because I think Tsunami only come from quakes. But I could be wrong.

Beyond Belief
08-29-2005, 12:17 AM
the webcam is showing some real nasty activity. they still have power. the camera is getting web but still has some visibility. Also, there are still cars moving around.

FACE-IT
08-29-2005, 12:17 AM
Where will all these displaced people go, or stay?As someone said earlier, a gal on TV, "this is going to be a life-changing experience for a lot of people."

Tom'sGirl
08-29-2005, 12:18 AM
You took that thought right out of my mind. But I wasn't going to ask, because I think Tsunami only come from quakes. But I could be wrong.
No, don't think you're wrong, the do occur from an earthquake at sea.

FACE-IT
08-29-2005, 12:19 AM
the webcam is showing some real nasty activity. they still have power. the camera is getting web but still has some visibility. Also, there are still cars moving around.They said the hurricane winds will be on New Orleans at about midnight; they have 41 minutes before it goes from bad to worse.

Shadow205
08-29-2005, 12:21 AM
the webcam is showing some real nasty activity. they still have power. the camera is getting web but still has some visibility. Also, there are still cars moving around.
I hope that the only vehicles that are moving are emergency vehicles but there are probably some dummies out site seeing!

lilpony
08-29-2005, 12:21 AM
Whats the site for the webcam?

Dark Knight
08-29-2005, 12:23 AM
On another message board, some of the New Orleans residents and other posters seem to have kept their sense of humor about it all. Here are some choice posts:

1. I get two 3 day weekends in a row!!! Labor day and Doomsday!

2. $20 says you go outside naked and start throwing knives at it (Katrina.)

3. woohoo, no work monday. maybe no work ever again!
4. my emergency hurricane supplies:

2 1/2 gallon bottles of bacardi gold
1 bottle of coke
ice chest filled with ice
1 case of beer
2 candles
1 flashlight
1 pirouge w/1 paddle
3 cans of vienna sausage

come get some katrina, you f*****g wh**e

Beyond Belief
08-29-2005, 12:26 AM
thats a down town area i'm looking at, i think. awful lot of cars out. i have seen at least 3 police cars. some are like big white van types, maybe redcross.

Dark Knight
08-29-2005, 12:28 AM
I think this is what Hell looks like:

http://www.wunderground.com/education/steveg_blog/wvhotspotsk4.jpg

Beyond Belief
08-29-2005, 12:29 AM
http://www.nola.com/bourbocam/

Tom'sGirl
08-29-2005, 12:30 AM
thats a down town area i'm looking at, i think. awful lot of cars out. i have seen at least 3 police cars. some are like big white van types, maybe redcross.I get the street car cam, but it just stays in one position showing the wind and what looks like wet street with the wind blowing.......darn:doh:

Magnum PI
08-29-2005, 12:31 AM
On another message board, some of the New Orleans residents and other posters seem to have kept their sense of humor about it all. Here are some choice posts:

1. I get two 3 day weekends in a row!!! Labor day and Doomsday!

2. $20 says you go outside naked and start throwing knives at it (Katrina.)

3. woohoo, no work monday. maybe no work ever again!
4. my emergency hurricane supplies:

2 1/2 gallon bottles of bacardi gold
1 bottle of coke
ice chest filled with ice
1 case of beer
2 candles
1 flashlight
1 pirouge w/1 paddle
3 cans of vienna sausage

come get some katrina, you f*****g wh**e
my sentiments also...except sardines instead of vienna sausage...seriously, I am not concerned so much for my area, as I am for the Mississippi basin area. There was a documentary called "Hold That River" about how much work it is to hold the Miss. River in place on a "good day." If the storm surge goes up the mouth of the Miss. river, does that mean that the Miss. will jump it's banks, and flood the basin?...mpi

Shadow205
08-29-2005, 12:31 AM
thats a down town area i'm looking at, i think. awful lot of cars out. i have seen at least 3 police cars. some are like big white van types, maybe redcross.
BB, I was thinking about you earlier. Looking at this monster on the satalite, can you imaqine if it had been this big when it crossed Florida? They saying now that they are expecting a 28ft storm surge. Land fall is expected around 6:00am.

FACE-IT
08-29-2005, 12:32 AM
I think this is what Hell looks like:

http://www.wunderground.com/education/steveg_blog/wvhotspotsk4.jpgThat looks like Dante's Inferno; what a color combination.

Olivia77
08-29-2005, 12:34 AM
Thanks for posting that DK, I'm happy to know the wonderful people of New Orleans are able to add a little light to this nightmare. They are a positive bunch and this is the spirit that will help them rebuild their beautiful city if the predictions of disaster come true.

I LOVE New Orleans, just got engaged there and visit often, it holds a special place in my heart, as do it's friendly people and magical spirit of the city. Tonight I will be lighting a candle and saying a prayer that the city is somehow spared the worst case scenarios people are predicting. I'm horrified by the stories of animal abandonment and the child on the boat, why is it our most innocent and voiceless are left in harms way? I cannot imagine the terror that will be felt by the small children and pets once this storm hits - I cannot allow myself to imagine it. I will be praying for their safe passage through this horrific storm. :(

I'm just sick to my stomach about this natural disaster. The last post from a local New Orleans board I frequent was about 6 hours ago, all of the locals from the board had evacuated - thank goodness.

Peace be with the people and animals of New Orleans, you are all in my prayers.

FACE-IT
08-29-2005, 12:35 AM
my sentiments also...except sardines instead of vienna sausage...seriously, I am not concerned so much for my area, as I am for the Mississippi basin area. There was a documentary called "Hold That River" about how much work it is to hold the Miss. River in place on a "good day." If the storm surge goes up the mouth of the Miss. river, does that mean that the Miss. will jump it's banks, and flood the basin?...mpiMagnum, where exactly are you located?? How far inland?? This storm is capable of a lot of flooding; it will all be uncharted sterriotory.

Shadow205
08-29-2005, 12:37 AM
Magnum, where exactly are you located?? How far inland?? This storm is capable of a lot of flooding; it will all be uncharted sterriotory.
I hate to sound stupid here but what does 'sterriotory" mean?

Dark Knight
08-29-2005, 12:38 AM
With all the voodoo and occult in New Orleans, maybe this will clean out some of the evil spirits that some people say haunt the city! They had to pay sometime for Mardi Gras, too, lol! :D

Beyond Belief
08-29-2005, 12:39 AM
I get the street car cam, but it just stays in one position showing the wind and what looks like wet street with the wind blowing.......darn:doh:at the top of the still picture. see the word go pointing to live video...click on that it opens another window with movement

FACE-IT
08-29-2005, 12:39 AM
PBS ran a great documentary of the famed Glaveston Flood. At least for Katrina there has been advance warning. But as someone mentioned there are also a few who really do very dumb things, so some can't be saved from themselves.

Shadow205
08-29-2005, 12:40 AM
I keep hearing about all of the cemetery's and what is going to happen to those burried there. It is not going to be a pretty sight.

Tom'sGirl
08-29-2005, 12:40 AM
at the top of the still picture. see the word go pointing to live video...click on that it opens another window with movement
I know I did that, it buffered and then no movement.........poop!

Beyond Belief
08-29-2005, 12:41 AM
I hate to sound stupid here but what does 'sterriotory" mean?i think its territory. Territory (http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&start=1&oi=answers&q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territory) ... is a defined area (including land and waters), usually considered to be a possession of an animal, ...

FACE-IT
08-29-2005, 12:42 AM
I hate to sound stupid here but what does 'sterriotory" mean?LOL, that's my typing --terriitory--when I try to get over 35 words per minute there aren't any guarantees.

Olivia77
08-29-2005, 12:43 AM
With all the voodoo and occult in New Orleans, maybe this will clean out some of the evil spirits that some people say haunt the city! They had to pay sometime for Mardi Gras, too, lol! :D

But DK, some might say that's part of the city's charm. ;)

Shadow205
LOL, that's my typing --terriitory--when I try to get over 35 words per minute there aren't any guarantees.
LOL, Geez, I burned up a lot of brain cells trying to figure out what you were talking about!

FACE-IT
I keep hearing about all of the cemetery's and what is going to happen to those burried there. It is not going to be a pretty sight.Nope, you are right about that. There will be lots of changes.

Beyond Belief
08-29-2005, 12:44 AM
its running. starting to look wet.

Magnum PI
08-29-2005, 12:44 AM
Magnum, where exactly are you located?? How far inland?? This storm is capable of a lot of flooding; it will all be uncharted sterriotory.
At this moment, I am about 50 miles north of Panama City Fl. Pretty bad right now. I have wireless broadband on laptop that is breaking up pretty bad, so I am in and out of what's happing. Now, I am going to try to convince an elderly woman and her cat the advantages od MOVING NORTH for the moment. I do not like the look of things...mpi

Olivia77
08-29-2005, 12:45 AM
Here's another cam, it's in Jackson Square. The date reads incorrectly, as always, but it's current. :D

http://muriels.com/camera/cam.html

Beyond Belief
08-29-2005, 12:46 AM
there goes another jeep looking thing down the street. are these people crazy?

Beyond Belief
08-29-2005, 12:49 AM
thanks, that looks really wet!

Shadow205
08-29-2005, 12:52 AM
"I am expecting some people who are "die hards" will die hard." That was a comment made by a LA official.(sorry didn't catch the name) I am afraid that those will be very true words.

Beyond Belief
08-29-2005, 12:55 AM
I do too Shadow. People just don't take heed. I am also worried about that dome.

JBean
08-29-2005, 12:58 AM
With all the voodoo and occult in New Orleans, maybe this will clean out some of the evil spirits that some people say haunt the city! They had to pay sometime for Mardi Gras, too, lol! :DDK you are on a roll :blowkiss:

FACE-IT
08-29-2005, 01:02 AM
At this moment, I am about 50 miles north of Panama City Fl. Pretty bad right now. I have wireless broadband on laptop that is breaking up pretty bad, so I am in and out of what's happing. Now, I am going to try to convince an elderly woman and her cat the advantages od MOVING NORTH for the moment. I do not like the look of things...mpi

MPI, according to the National Huirricane Service and their Strike Probabilities, Panama City has a very remote chance of being heavily impacted.

LOCATION A B C D E
PANAMA CITY FL 1 1 X X 2

COLUMN DEFINITION PROBABILITIES IN PERCENT
A IS PROBABILITY FROM NOW TO 7PM MON
FOLLOWING ARE ADDITIONAL PROBABILITIES
B FROM 7PM MON TO 7AM TUE
C FROM 7AM TUE TO 7PM TUE
D FROM 7PM TUE TO 7PM WED
E IS TOTAL PROBABILITY FROM NOW TO 7PM WED
X MEANS LESS THAN ONE PERCENT

Beyond Belief
08-29-2005, 01:04 AM
accuweather guy on fox is saying katrina will pass on east side of NO. he says winds will be 105 with gusts of 120 in NO

Dark Knight
08-29-2005, 01:06 AM
(AP) Thirteen surfers had to be pulled to safety Sunday after becoming fatigued in 15-foot seas created by Hurricane Katrina, the U.S. Coast Guard said.

Coast Guard Petty Officer Troy Davis said the rip tides were strong and most of the rescues were 400 to 500 yards off Quintana Beach, about 60 miles south of Houston on the Gulf of Mexico.

Sunday evening, nearby Surfside Beach closed the Surfside jetties that are used by many surfers as a launching point.

Beyond Belief
08-29-2005, 01:08 AM
some of the lights went out on the webcam.

Shadow205
accuweather guy on fox is saying katrina will pass on east side of NO. he says winds will be 105 with gusts of 120 in NO
BB, I heard that too. I have switched back to the Weather Channel to see what they are saying, coming up in a couple of minutes.

FACE-IT
Local Bulletin for Tallahassee

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TALLAHASSEE FL
1207 AM EDT MON AUG 29 2005

...LARGE AND POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC HURRICANE KATRINA APPROACHING
...A TROPICAL STORM WARNING CONTINUES FOR THE PANHANDLE COAST FROM
DESTIN EASTWARD TO INDIAN PASS FLORIDA...

...AREAS AFFECTED...
THIS STATEMENT RECOMMENDS ACTION TO BE TAKEN FOR RESIDENTS IN THE
FOLLOWING COUNTIES IN THE EASTERN FLORIDA PANHANDLE...COASTAL
WALTON...BAY...AND GULF COUNTIES.

...WATCH AND WARNING INFORMATION...
A TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM EAST OF DESTIN TO
INDIAN PASS IN GULF COUNTY FLORIDA. A FLOOD WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR
THE EASTERN FLORIDA PANHANDLE.

...STORM INFORMATION...
AT 10 PM CDT THE CENTER OF HURRICANE KATRINA WAS LOCATED NEAR
LATITUDE 27.6 NORTH...LONGITUDE 89.4 WEST...OR ABOUT 170 MILES SOUTH
SOUTHEAST OF NEW ORLEANS. THIS IS ALSO ABOUT 265 MILES SOUTHWEST OF
DESTIN FLORIDA. KATRINA WAS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTH NORTHWEST NEAR
10 MPH...AND A TURN TO THE NORTH IS EXPECTED OVER THE NEXT 12 TO 24
HOURS. HIGHEST SUSTAINED WINDS WERE NEAR 160 MPH...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. KATRINA IS A POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC CATEGORY FIVE HURRICANE
ON THE SAFFIR SIMPSON SCALE. SOME FLUCTUATIONS IN STRENGTH ARE
LIKELY PRIOR TO LANDFALL. KATRINA IS ALSO A LARGE STORM WITH
TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTENDING OUTWARD UP TO 230 MILES.

...PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
RESIDENTS IN THE WARNED AREA SHOULD NOW BE PREPARED FOR TROPICAL
STORM CONDITIONS...HAVING SECURED LOOSE ITEMS SUCH AS GARBAGE CANS
AND PATIO FURNITURE...AND TAKEN APPROPRIATE STEPS TO PROTECT AGAINST
COASTAL FLOODING. LOW LYING AREAS WILL BE PARTICULARLY VULNERABLE TO
COASTAL FLOODING...ESPECIALLY IN AREAS WHERE THE PROTECTIVE DUNES
HAVE BEEN WASHED AWAY BY PREVIOUS STORMS. MANDATORY EVACUATIONS HAVE
BEEN ORDERED FOR CAPE SAN BLAS IN GULF COUNTY...AND ST GEORGE AND
DOG ISLANDS...ALLIGATOR POINT...AND ALL LOW LYING AREAS SUBJECT TO
COASTAL FLOODING IN FRANKLIN COUNTY. OTHER AREAS MAY BE GIVEN
EVACUATION ORDERS. BE PREPARED TO EVACUATE IF ORDERED BY LOCAL
EMERGENCY OFFICIALS.

HIGH SURF WILL CONTINUE THROUGH MONDAY AS LARGE SWELLS EMANATE FROM
HURRICANE KATRINA. EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT IN WALTON COUNTY RECENTLY
REPORTED WAVES IN THE SURF ZONE OF AROUND 10 FEET. THIS HAS CAUSED
MUCH OF THE REPLACEMENT SAND FOR HURRICANE DENNIS TO BE WASHED
AWAY...ALLOWING SOME WATER TO WASH UNDERNEATH SOME OF THE HOUSES.
HIGH SURF AT GULF COUNTY HAS WASHED ROCKS OVER SOME OF THE ROADS AT
CAPE SAN BLAS. REPORTS FROM THE NORTHEAST GULF BUOYS CONTINUE TO
SHOW HIGH SWELLS...WITH 13 FEET SWELLS FROM THE SOUTHWEST BEING
REPORTED AT THE BUOY 90 MILES SOUTH OF PANAMA CITY. THIS LARGE SWELL
WILL LIKELY RESULT IN HIGHER SURF ALONG THE COAST. THIS WAVE
ACTION...COUPLED WITH STRONG ONSHORE FLOW MAY PRODUCE TIDES OF 6 TO
8 FEET ABOVE NORMAL...ESPECIALLY AT HIGH TIDE. THESE ABOVE NORMAL
TIDES AND HIGH SURF WILL CONTINUE TO CAUSE BEACH EROSION AND COASTAL
FLOODING THROUGH MONDAY...ESPECIALLY AT THE TIME OF HIGH TIDE. THE
BEACHES OF WALTON COUNTY ARE CLOSED. THE FOLLOWING ARE TIMES OF HIGH
TIDE FOR SELECTED LOCATIONS...

APALACHICOLA...1037 AM MONDAY MORNING

SAINT ANDREWS BAY AT PANAMA CITY...618 AM CDT MONDAY.

EAST PASS AT DESTIN...648 AM CDT MONDAY.

...WIND IMPACTS...
AT 10 PM CDT WINDS ALONG THE PANHANDLE COAST WERE GENERALLY OUT OF
THE EAST NEAR 15 MPH...WITH GUSTS OF 25 TO 30 MPH IN SOME SOME OF
THE HEAVIER SHOWERS AT THE COAST. THE WIND AT THE PANAMA CITY GULF
BUOY WAS SOUTHEAST AT 33 GUSTING TO 43 KNOTS. IT IS BECOMING MORE AND
MORE LIKELY THAT KATRINA WILL MAKE LANDFALL OVER SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA
MONDAY MORNING. ON THIS TRACK MOST OF THE TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS
WILL MISS THE EASTERN PANHANDLE...BUT SOME SUSTAINED TROPICAL STORM
FORCE WINDS WILL STILL BE POSSIBLE OVER THE PANHANDLE COASTAL WATERS
AND NEAR THE IMMEDIATE COAST. SUSTAINED WINDS OF 30 TO 40 MPH WILL
BE POSSIBLE ALONG THE COAST TONIGHT AND MONDAY...MAINLY IN SOME OF
THE HEAVIER RAIN BANDS. SUCH WINDS TYPICALLY CAUSE SEVERAL DOWNED
TREE BRANCHES...A FEW DOWNED POWER LINES AND POWER OUTAGES...TIPPED
OVER GARBAGE CANS AND PATIO FURNITURE...AND A FEW UPROOTED TREES.

...RAINFALL AND FLOOD POTENTIAL...
STORM TOTAL RAINFALL FROM TONIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY IS EXPECTED TO
RANGE FROM 2 TO 4 INCHES...WITH THE HIGHER AMOUNTS OCCURRING FARTHER
WEST. SOME LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS WILL BE POSSIBLE WHICH COULD CAUSE
FLOODING IN LOW LYING AND POOR DRAINAGE AREAS.

...TORNADO THREAT...
ISOLATED TORNADOES WILL BE POSSIBLE TONIGHT AND MONDAY...BUT THE
GREATER THREAT WILL BE ACROSS THE WESTERN PANHANDLE.

...RIP CURRENTS...
THERE IS A HIGH RISK OF DANGEROUS RIP CURRENTS TONIGHT THROUGH
MONDAY. EVERYONE...INCLUDING EXPERIENCED SWIMMERS...SHOULD STAY OUT
OF THE SURF.

THE NEXT HURRICANE LOCAL STATEMENT WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL
WEATHER SERVICE IN TALLAHASSEE BY AROUND 230 AM CDT.

$$

FACE-IT
08-29-2005, 01:11 AM
Local Bulletin for Lake Charles, LA

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
HURRICANE KATRINA LOCAL STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LAKE CHARLES LA
1136 PM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

...A HURRICANE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MORGAN CITY LOUISIANA
EASTWARD TO THE ALABAMA/FLORIDA BORDER...

...AREAS AFFECTED IN SOUTH-CENTRAL AND SOUTHWEST LOUISIANA...
THIS STATEMENT APPLIES TO THE RESIDENTS IN ACADIA...CALCASIEU...
CAMERON...IBERIA...JEFFERSON DAVIS...LAFAYETTE...SAINT MARTIN...
SAINT MARY...AVOYELLES...SAINT LANDRY AND VERMILION PARISHES...

...WATCHES/WARNING...
A HURRICANE WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR SAINT MARY PARISH. A HURRICANE
WARNING MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED INSIDE THE
WARNED AREA WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS. PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT LIFE
AND PROPERTY SHOULD ALREADY BE COMPLETED.

WEST OF MORGAN CITY TO INTRACOASTAL CITY LOUISIANA INCLUDING
VERMILION AND IBERIA PARISH. A TROPICAL STORM WARNING MEANS THAT
TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED INSIDE THE WARNED AREA WITHIN
THE NEXT 24 HOURS. A HURRICANE WATCH MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS
ARE POSSIBLE INSIDE THE WATCH AREA...GENERALLY WITHIN 36 HOURS.

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS ALSO IN EFFECT FROM WEST OF INTRACOASTAL
CITY TO CAMERON LOUISIANA INCLUDING CAMERON PARISH.

AN INLAND TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS IN EFFECT THROUGH 7 PM MONDAY
FOR AVOYELLES...SAINT LANDRY...SAINT MARTIN AND LAFAYETTE PARISHES.
AN INLAND TROPICAL STORM WARNING MEANS THAT TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS
ARE EXPECTED TO MOVE INLAND ACROSS THE WARNED AREA WITHIN THE NEXT 24
HOURS.

A FLOOD WATCH IS IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY MORNING TO MONDAY EVENING
FOR IBERIA...SAINT MARY...AND SAINT MARTIN PARISHES. THREE TO FIVE
INCHES OF RAIN IS POSSIBLE ACROSS THIS AREA THROUGH MONDAY EVENING
WHICH WILL CAUSE THE POSSIBILITY OF FLOODING IN LOW-LYING AREAS.

...STORM INFORMATION...UPDATED
AT 10 PM...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE KATRINA WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE
27.6 NORTH...LONGITUDE 89.4 WEST...OR ABOUT 175 MILES SOUTHEAST OF
MORGAN CITY LOUISIANA.

GRADUAL TURN TO THE NORTH IS EXPECTED OVER THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS.
ON THIS TRACK THE CENTER OF THE HURRICANE WILL BE NEAR THE NORTHERN
GULF COAST EARLY MONDAY. HOWEVER...CONDITIONS ARE ALREADY BEGINNING
TO DETERIORATE ALONG PORTIONS OF THE CENTRAL AND NORTHEASTERN GULF
COAST...AND WILL CONTINUE TO WORSEN THROUGH THE NIGHT.

KATRINA IS A POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC CATEGORY FIVE HURRICANE ON THE
SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. SOME FLUCTUATIONS IN STRENGTH IS LIKELY UNTIL
LANDFALL. KATRINA IS EXPECTED TO MAKE LANDFALL AS A CATEGORY FOUR OR
FIVE.

KATRINA IS A LARGE HURRICANE. HURRICANE FORCE WINDS...WINDS GREATER
THAN 74 MPH...EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 105 MILES FROM THE CENTER.
TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS...WINDS GREATER THAN 39 MPH...EXTEND
OUTWARD UP TO 230 MILES. SUSTAINED TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS ARE
OCCURRING OVER THE SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA COAST AND SOUTHWEST PASS
LOUISIANA RECENTLY REPORTED A GUST TO 90 MPH.

THE LATEST MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE REPORTED BY RECONNAISSANCE
AIRCRAFT WAS 904 MB...26.70 INCHES.

RESIDENTS OF SOUTH-CENTRAL LOUISIANA SHOULD ALREADY BE PREPARED FOR
THE POSSIBLE EFFECTS OF A NEARBY LANDFALLING MAJOR HURRICANE. THE
POSSIBILITY EXISTS FOR DAMAGING WINDS...HIGH STORM SURGE...AND VERY
HEAVY RAINFALL. HOWEVER AT THIS TIME...MANDATORY EVACUATION ORDERS
ARE NOT IN EFFECT FOR ANY PORTION OF SOUTHWEST OR SOUTH-CENTRAL
LOUISIANA.

...TORNADO IMPACTS...
THE MAIN TORNADO THREAT WILL BE ACROSS SOUTHEAST
LOUISIANA. HOWEVER...ISOLATED TORNADOES WILL BE POSSIBLE ACROSS
SOUTH-CENTRAL LOUISIANA THROUGH MONDAY MORNING.

TIDES ARE CURRENTLY RUNNING ABOUT ONE FOOT ABOVE NORMAL ALONG THE
COAST. KATRINA IS STILL FORECAST TO MAKE LANDFALL JUST EAST OF GRAND
ISLE LOUISIANA. DEPENDING ON THE EXACT TRACK...A STORM SURGE OF 3 TO
5 FEET ABOVE NORMAL IS POSSIBLE ALONG THE COAST NEAR THE MOUTH OF THE
ATCHAFALAYA RIVER. TIDAL SURGE WILL DECREASE TO 1 TO 2 FEET NEAR
SABINE AND CALCASIEU PASSES.

...WIND IMPACTS...
ACROSS THE LOWER ATCHAFALAYA BASIN...NORTHEAST WINDS HAVE ALREADY
INCREASED TO 15 TO 25 MPH. SUSTAINED WINDS WILL FURTHER INCREASE TO
25 TO 35 MPH AFTER MIDNIGHT...THEN 45 TO 65 MPH TOWARD SUNRISE ON
MONDAY. GUSTS TO HURRICANE FORCE WILL BE POSSIBLE IN THE MORGAN
CITY...STEPHENSVILLE AND AMELIA AREA MONDAY MORNING. TROPICAL
STORM FORCE WINDS WILL BE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE REMAINDER OF THE
ATCHAFALAYA BASIN UP TO HENDERSON AND ACROSS SOUTHWEST LOUISIANA AS
FAR WEST AS CAMERON.

BASED ON THE EXPECTED WIND SPEEDS AND THE NUMEROUS TREES ACROSS THE
LOWER ATCHAFALAYA BASIN...RESIDENTS IN THESE REGIONS ARE URGED TO BE
CAREFUL OF FALLING TREES. REMEMBER...MOST OF THE DEATHS CAUSED BY
KATRINA AS IT CROSSED SOUTH FLORIDA WERE CAUSED BY FALLING TREES.

ON THE COASTAL WATERS NEAR VERMILION AND ATCHAFALAYA BAYS...
NORTHEAST WINDS WERE RUNNING 20 TO 30 KNOTS THIS EVENING.
SUSTAINED WINDS WILL INCREASE TO TROPICAL STORM FORCE...35 KNOTS...
SHORTLY AFTER MIDNIGHT. SUSTAINED WINDS OF 45 TO 55 KNOTS...WITH
GUSTS TO HURRICANE FORCE...WILL SPREAD OVER THE COASTAL WATERS NEAR
THE MOUTH OF THE ATCHAFALAYA AROUND SUNRISE ON MONDAY WITH SEAS
UP TO 15 FEET.

ELSEWHERE ACROSS SOUTHWEST LOUISIANA...WINDS WILL INCREASE TO 15 TO
25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH BY MID-MONDAY MORNING. WIND SPEEDS
ACROSS THE ENTIRE REGION WILL BE DECREASING BY MONDAY EVENING.

...RAINFALL...
HEAVY RAINS FROM KATRINA WILL BEGIN TO AFFECT THE COASTAL PARISHES
OF SOUTH-CENTRAL LOUISIANA LATE THIS EVENING. RAINFALL TOTALS FROM
3 TO 5 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE IN THE LOWER PORTIONS OF SAINT MARY AND
SAINT MARTIN PARISHES WHICH MAY CAUSE SOME FLOODING...WHILE RAINFALL
TOTALS FROM 1 TO 3 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE AROUND THE REST OF THE
VERMILION BAY REGION AND THE UPPER PORTIONS OF THE ATCHAFALAYA BASIN.
THE HEAVY RAINS WILL BEGIN TO TAPER OFF MONDAY EVENING.

LESSER RAINFALL AMOUNTS CAN BE EXPECTED ACROSS THE REMAINDER OF
SOUTHWEST LOUISIANA.

Beyond Belief
08-29-2005, 01:11 AM
BB, I heard that too. I have switched back to the Weather Channel to see what they are saying, coming up in a couple of minutes.
Ok, sounded like the devastation will be to the east of NO, but he also mentioned it would take 12 weeks to get all the water pumped out of NO.

FACE-IT
08-29-2005, 01:12 AM

There's hope then. The West side of Katrina is a lot less dangerous.

Tom'sGirl
08-29-2005, 01:14 AM
Ok, sounded like the devastation will be to the east of NO, but he also mentioned it would take 12 weeks to get all the water pumped out of NO.Oh, and all those snakes :eek:

Shadow205
08-29-2005, 01:16 AM
Oh, and all those snakes :eek:
Well, we can hope that they will all drown

Beyond Belief
08-29-2005, 01:17 AM
I was thinking more of the rat infestation. They probably are loaded with them along the wharf's, they'll swim up into the houses. Geez, this is going to be a nightmare.

FACE-IT
08-29-2005, 01:17 AM
Ok, sounded like the devastation will be to the east of NO, but he also mentioned it would take 12 weeks to get all the water pumped out of NO.This real-time satellite image sequence doesn't show Katrina veering to the NorthEast to pass on the East side of New Orleans. Hope your guy is right, but it is probably still a little up in the air.

Tom'sGirl
08-29-2005, 01:18 AM
Well, we can hope that they will all drownIf they swim around in the water, I doubt that the crappy things will drown.

JBean
08-29-2005, 01:18 AM
Sounds like the flooding will be significant, but the wind damage will not be as severe as anticipated.. hopefully.

Beyond Belief
08-29-2005, 01:19 AM
thats ACCUWEATHER people saying that.

FACE-IT
08-29-2005, 01:19 AM
I was thinking more of the rat infestation. They probably are loaded with them along the wharf's, they'll swim up into the houses. Geez, this is going to be a nightmare.snakes and rats, doesn't sound good.

mysteriew
08-29-2005, 01:21 AM
My stupid question for the day: This is supposed to be one of the worst storms of the century. What are the chances of a tsumomi after the hurricane?

Beyond Belief
NO has alot of human snakes and rats, but I bet their safe and sound.

Shadow205
rats,snakes,unearthed bodies, and all of that polluted water, throw in the multitude of diseases that could easily develope in the conditions that are going to exist for weeks or longer. This is going to be a nightmare.